VACUUM

Studio Album, released in 2004

1. Hills (1:26)
2. Damage Mode (7:17)
3. Wonderland (7:05)
4. Shining Bald Heads (5:55)
5. Out Of The Land (6:05)
6. Goddess (5:48)

- Marco Schembri / bass
- Gabriele Manzini / keyboards
- Roberto Leoni / drums

CD Lizard, distributed by PicK Up Export (Bassano Del Grappa, Vicenza) CD0035

and to MANDRAKEROOT for the last updates

THE WATCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WATCH Vacuum Music

Toddla T - Watch Me Dance CD (+DVD, 2011) DIGIPAK NEW & SEALED US $8.44 Buy It Now 49m 45s
& SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR - GANGS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.94 Buy It Now 1h 25m
DICK HYMAN-Since You've Been Gone/Watch It USA 7" EX Cond US $10.21 Buy It Now 2h 2m
ANTHONY JOHNSON no men no guy no boy 12" 2 trk b/w watch it (ng009) uk now gener US $38.75 Buy It Now 2h 5m
NEW Someone To Watch Over Me Susan Boyle CD US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 32m
& SO I WATCH FROM AFAR - ALL HAIL BRIGHT FUTURES (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $18.71 Buy It Now 2h 35m
DISKONTO - WATCH US BURN * HARDCORE PUNK ROCK CRUST ALBUM * RARE SWEDEN US $14.11 Buy It Now 2h 54m
ALEXISONFIRE - WATCH OUT NEW CD US $18.71 Buy It Now 2h 55m
CHOCOLATE WATCH BAND One Step Beyond TOWER Sealed COLORED VINYL LP US $16.00 Buy It Now 3h 12m
SUSAN BOYLE- Someone To Watch Over Me CD NEW 2011 Unchained Melody/Autumn Leaves US $6.80 Buy It Now 3h 30m
ELECTRO FREESTYLE/ Akabu - Watch Yourself (WL Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Baja Marimba Band Watch Out LP Pop 1960s EX- US $5.95 [0 bids]
Seatrain / Watch / White Label Promo 12" Vinyl LP Record / Warner Bros. BS 2692 US $10.02 Buy It Now 4h 6m
BOOGIE/ Patrice Rushen - Watch Out (Promo) US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 8m
Watch Us Roll [ECD] by 71 North (CD, Aug-2002, Warlock Records) US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 24m
CHRISTER watch me 12" 3 trk b/w laugh serious and english rose (vst1353) pic sle US $8.50 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Black Watch Band - Scotch on the Rocks US $5.44 Buy It Now 4h 31m
DARREN DEERE just watch me 12" 2 trk promo featuring 7 extended version and phil US $8.50 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Lorrie Morgan / Watch Me / 1992 / BNA 66047-4 / Tape US $4.00 Buy It Now 5h 11m
The Black Watch US $5.55 [0 bids]
Metal Church Watch The Children Pray 12'' promo LP RARE LTD ED HTF OOP WAYNE US $7.00 [0 bids]
Someone To Watch Over Me by Susan Boyle US $4.29 Buy It Now 5h 34m
BRENDA LEE EAGER watch my body talk 12" 3 trk b/w dub version and bonus beats (t US $8.50 Buy It Now 5h 36m
BRANDI WELLS watch out 12" 2 trk b/w you are my life some edge wear creasing (vs US $8.50 Buy It Now 5h 39m
WEEKEND NACHOS - WATCH YOU SUFFER NEW VINYL US $11.37 Buy It Now 5h 55m
CALL you run 12" 3 trk album version b/w watch album version and jealousy (mcat1 US $8.50 Buy It Now 6h 5m
Ray Boltz - Watch the Lamb (CD, 1986, Word Distribution) US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Susan Boyle, Someone To Watch Over Me Audio CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 11m
SUGAR BOY - WATCH HER WHIP HER / YOU CALL EVERYBODY SWEETHEART (50s R US $11.91 Buy It Now 6h 19m
JULES SHEAR WATCH DOG VINYL LP RECORD US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 21m
MANFRED MANN'S EARTH BAND WATCH LP EX+.SPANISH SPAIN PRESS.1978 BRONZE US $15.32 [0 bids]
Jefferson Airplane "Martha/Watch Her Ride" Original 45 RPM US $7.99 Buy It Now 7h
Jo Stafford "The Night Watch/Suddenly There's a Valley" Original 78 VG++ US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
ELLA FITZGERALD LP WATCH WHAT HAPPENS TOMMY FLANAGAN VG++ US $7.95 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Tactics Gold Watch / Standing by the window 7'' 1981 Green US $19.99 [0 bids]
TAYLOR SWIFT House Watch Hill RI Harkness Mansion Ocean House TAYLOR SWIFT Photo US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Vintage Record Royal Marines & The Black Watch " The British are Coming " US $3.00 [0 bids]
Frank Sinatra : Someone to Watch Over Me vinyl album,Harmony ,HS11277 US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 34m
KENNY LOGGINS NIGHT WATCH US $7.99 [0 bids]
Uncut Magazine - Watch That Band! - Promo Only CD (UNCUT201204) US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Watch Them Die - Watch Them Die - Promo Only CD (8147-2) US $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 56m
OWEN GRAY:WATCH THIS SOUND *AUTOGRAPHED ON BACK OF COVER* (SKY NOTE) EX+ US $23.84 Buy It Now 8h
MANFRED MANN'S EARTH BAND watch BRON 507 A2/B1 uk bronze 1978 LP PS VG/EX US $15.32 Buy It Now 8h
BUSTIN' MELONZ Tape Cassette WATCH YA SEEDS POP OUT 1994 Nuff Nuff Records USA US $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 18m
Moonlighters Watch What Happens 45 RPM SSJ-00775 US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 19m
THE CHOCOLATE WATCH BAND The Inner Mystique LP 1980s European reissue EX+ US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 28m
J DAVID SLOAN let the whole town watch 7" PS EX/EX usa opryla US $11.91 Buy It Now 8h 29m
LORRIE MORGAN watch me 7" WS EX/ usa bna US $11.91 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Soul 45 SHACK Watch the Dog on Volt US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 40m
Bastard Son * by Watch Them Die CD 2005 Century Media Death Acheron US $4.00 [0 bids]
Black Angels - Watch Out Boy 7" Vinyl DL NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 58m
the band of the black watch - scotch on the rocks vinyl lp US $6.00 [0 bids]
Barrabas Watch Out 1976 Atco SD 36-136 Rock Vinyl LP Factory Sealed US $12.59 Buy It Now 8h 58m
EXC 12"~MAD~MADD COBRA~ROHAN IRIE~Tease Dem~Watch Out~[OG 1991 ROB JOHN Issue]~ US $6.97 Buy It Now 9h
WATCH THE CRIPPLE DANCE - NEW CD US $5.65 Buy It Now 9h
THE BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH 7" single LET'S GO TO JERSEY (good price) US $6.29 Buy It Now 9h 11m
Watch Me Fall, Jay Reatard, New US $14.33 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Anita Baker 45 "Fairy Tales / Watch Your Step" ~ Elektra ~ VG++ US $5.24 Buy It Now 9h 12m
HOTSHOTS - WISE UP WATCH OUT NEW CD US $17.57 Buy It Now 9h 15m
THE ICEBERG -FREEDOM OF SPEECH-JUST WATCH WHAT YOU SAY-ICE T US $5.99 [0 bids]
PAULINE HENRY watch the miracle start 12" 4 mixes with xray dub mix (6602776) pi US $8.50 Buy It Now 9h 20m
PATRICE RUSHEN watch out 12" 5 trk extended remix b/w edited remix,single versio US $8.50 Buy It Now 9h 30m
Music to Watch Girls By by Al Hirt (CD, Jan-2000, RCA Victor) Mint #BQ85 US $31.25 Buy It Now 9h 38m
COMMANDER CODY & HIS LOST PLANET AIRMEN: Watch My .38 / Semi-truck 45 (dj) Rock US $8.00 Buy It Now 9h 44m
ANITA BAKER Sweet Love / Watch Your Step 7" 45 EX US $1.65 [0 bids]
JAY REATARD**WATCH ME FALL (DOWNLOAD)**VINYL US $14.91 Buy It Now 9h 55m
SALFORD JETS pain in my heart 12" 3 trk includes alternative version and watch t US $8.50 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Watch It Burn by Cast Iron Hike (CD, Jun-1997, Victory Records (USA)) US $10.50 Buy It Now 9h 59m
JONNA GAULT and HER SYMPHONOPOP SCENE -"WATCH ME"- 1968-STILL SEALED US $25.00 Buy It Now 10h 17m
PROMO Albert Lee So Sad ( To Watch Good Love Go Bad ) 1982 45rpm VG+ US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 19m
Watch the Lamb by Boltz, Ray US $29.75 Buy It Now 10h 23m
SUICIDE WATCH Global Warning CD 2005 Thrash Metal US $6.99 Buy It Now 10h 24m
CD Lorrie Morgan - Watch Me US $0.95 [0 bids]
Lorrie Morgan 3 Country CD Lot: Watch Me, Something in Red, Leave the Light On US $9.65 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Soul 45 JOE TEX Watch the One (That Brings the Bad News) on Dial US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 35m
OLETA ADAMS circle of one 12" 3 trk b/w think again and watch what happens (olet US $8.50 Buy It Now 10h 38m
BOB CREWE GENERATION--"MUSIC TO WATCH BIRDS BY"-Dynovoice DY31902 Stereo SEALED US $6.00 [0 bids]
SOMETHING PRETTY BEAUTIFUL freefall 12" 3 trk b/w i want to watch and expect a m US $8.50 Buy It Now 10h 40m
SUSAN BOYLE YOU HAVE TO BE THERE HONG KONG PROMO CD SINGLE SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER US $20.00 Buy It Now 10h 42m
WORD SALAD death march 2000 LP SEALED grind punk hardcore watch them die necrot US $14.99 [0 bids]
JAY-Z KANYE WEST WATCH THE THRONE CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $153.36 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Virgil Warner Watch For Children Rare Mint 1973 Capitol Records Promotional 45 US $7.49 Buy It Now 10h 58m
G.L CROCKETT WATCH MY 32/EVERY GOOD-BYE AIN'T GONE US 4 BROTHERS R US $17.04 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Riot On Sunset Strip - OST - Tower - Standells - Chocolate Watch Band - OOP -VG+ US $20.00 Buy It Now 11h 4m
BOB CREWE GENERATION, MUSIC TO WATCH GIRLS BY - LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 12m
TANYA TUCKER - U JUST WATCH ME - LIBERTY LBL - JUKEBOX 45 - GREEN VINYL - PROMO US $9.95 Buy It Now 11h 12m
COUNTRY CD" (233) "LORRIE MORGAN--WATCH ME" # 66047-2 BNA RECORDS US $1.95 [0 bids]
The Black Watch-Royal Highland Regiment LP Trooping The Colour RCA 1527 Mono US $6.99 [0 bids]
WADE FLEMONS WATCH OVER HER / WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS US VEEJAY NORTHERN SOUL US $42.61 Buy It Now 11h 23m
TERMANOLOGY Watch How It Go Down OG 12" Statik Selektah DJ Premier US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Surya : Music to Watch CD (2002) US $5.36 Buy It Now 11h 29m
Watch Me Fall [Vinyl], Jay Reatard, New US $20.49 Buy It Now 11h 45m
Amphetamines by Black Watch (Rock) (The) (CD, Oct-1994, Zero Hour) US $2.97 [0 bids]
BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH - Merry Christmas & Happy New Year ~ VINYL LP US $17.37 Buy It Now 11h 51m
Frances Langford : Someone to Watch Over Me CD (1993) US $10.00 Buy It Now 11h 54m
JOHNNY ADAMS Part Of Me + Some Day 45 US orig Watch 6333 US $18.98 Buy It Now 11h 56m
Watch for the Hook [CD/Vinyl Single] [Single] by Cool Breeze (CD, Dec-1998, I... US $2.97 [0 bids]
BAND OF THE BLACK WATCH SCOTCH ON THE ROCKS 45RPM INTL SHIP SLSE 332 ACL US $2.00 Buy It Now 12h 7m
If Looks Could Kill, I'd Watch You Die by Death by Stereo (CD, May-1999) US $8.95 Buy It Now 12h 21m
BOB CREWE Original 45-"Music To Watch Girls By"-1966 Hit Instrumental from TV-EX US $3.41 Buy It Now 12h 21m

More places to buy THE WATCH music online Buy THE WATCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WATCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WATCH Vacuum ratings distribution

THE WATCH Vacuum reviews

Review by Hibou
5 stars I've granted my precious 5 stars to nine albums so far and was starting to doubt of ever finding that elusive number 10. Well, there must be a prog god somewhere for I've found it right here.

Although I didn't have access to either the album booklet, the credits nor the lyrics, I've had the privilege of hearing the music of "Vacuum" over the last week or so and I can assure you of one thing: it is a work of stellar magnitude. It is altogether exhilirating, disturbing, entrancing, profoundly moving and symphonic to the core.

First, let's get some things straight: vocalist Simone Rossetti (who is responsible for most of the work such as concept, music, lyrics, arrangements) does sound like young Peter Gabriel incarnate; Sergio Taglioni's keyboard solos do feel like they came straight out of Tony Bank's head; and some of Ettore Salati's lead guitar passages do sound like Steve Hackett is plucking away. But don't go thinking that The WATCH are yet another god-forsaken "G" clone. Rossetti is an extremely talented composer who uses the early GENESIS atmosphere as a filter to express his own art. The musical themes and phrases on this album are so rich and varied, only in jazz (and from a handful of prog acts) have I heard such an array of strange musical phrases so harmoniously brought together.

The album opens with the minimalistic "Hills", featuring Rossetti's gentle voice floating over piano notes and a little synth in the background - a fitting sleeper for the 'bomb' that immediately follows.

"Damage Mode" alternately reminds me of the title track from "The Lamb", "One for the Vine" and "The Cinema Show", yet it is so uniquely WATCH: a perfect blend of gorgeous melodic prog and muscle-tight rock that can't be compared to anything. The quiet acoustic guitar passages (reminiscent of Anthony Phillips') combined with Rossetti's child-like voice are so poignant they'll make your heart ache. That is, until the tune explodes with biting guitars riffs, crunching bass and drums, buckets of soaring keyboards and vocals so gripping they'll tear you apart. The last time I remember having such a rush was when I first heard "The Cinema Show" ("take a little trip back with Father Tiresias" indeed). To top it all, the track contains a killer banksian solo by keyboardist Taglioni that will have every GENESIS fan drooling.

"Wonderland" is an intimate tune that weaves its course in a sweet, melancholy way through an exquisite guitar solo by Ettore Salati. In the manner of "Mad Man Moon", it cooks slowly then becomes larger than life. One of the most exquisite and powerful tracks of the album.

The early cacophony/buffonery of "Shining Bald Heads" winks at you with airs of a certain "Harold the Barrel". This is perhaps the least romantic (read 'Italian') track of the lot but not to worry: Rossetti's lyricism always seems to get the better of him and before long, you'll be treated to some exquisite symphonic flights once more.

"Out of the Land" opens on a quiet, reflective theme resembling "The Lamia", with delicate acoustic guitar notes that mimick the familiar piano from the album "The Lamb". After a brief hyatus, the bass, organ and percussion roll in and... wham! The doors fly wide open to reveal yet another tapestry of majestic, spine-tingling keyboard passages.

With heavy bass and organ throbs à la Keith Emerson, "Goddess" begins as a head banger but soon takes flight with rolling drums, a wonderful chorus and an incredible array of new colourful themes and time signatures. With cahotic passages not unlike the intro to "Watcher of the Skies", it alternately thrusts the listener into a rhythmic frenzy then wraps him up with superb, mellow symphonic passages - a pattern I seem to regognize more and more as I keep listening to the album. Gosh, this track is so jam-packed with musical themes, I've known entire albums that boasted less than you'll find on this single track.

"Deeper Still" is yet another exquisite piece of sweet melancholy where Rossetti's haunting, layered vocals gently hover over a delicate acoustic theme. (Are you taking notes, Mr. Rutherford?)

The closing title track, "Vacuum, is the darkest and most poignant of the lot. It is so powerful it's almost frightening. The violence of certain passages (including Rossetti's vocals), the throbbing bass, the foreboding drums, the menacing organ and the eerie synths alongwith the portentous fury of the theme is so deeply troubling it caught me unawares - I honestly didn't expect such disturbing moments from Rossetti's pen. Let's just say that music is sometimes the best medium for expressing certain kinds of emotions and that Rossetti took full advantage of it. His vocal performance is simply staggering on this one. This is a very, very powerful stuff that hits you smack in the gut - you'll excuse my vocabulary but I can't think of a gentler way of describing what this music does to me. The track also showcases the finest moments from everyone involved and is proof that Rossetti is indeed in the hands of a highly capable crew.

Whether you are familiar with THE WATCH's material or not, you can't help but be impressed by the outstanding penmanship, the charismatic delivery and the fine musicianship displayed on "Vacuum". There is not one wasted note, not one dead moment on the entire album. "Vacuum": a true jewel of progressive sound and lyricism, an album you'll be rediscovering every time you hear it.

GENESIS is dead: long live THE WATCH !!!

P.S. I realize it is not customary to grant 5 stars to so-called 'derivative' material. However, "Vacuum" goes way beyond this appellation and consequently, I honesty cannot grant it any less than a perfect note.

Send comments to Hibou (BETA) | Report this review (#32921) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars 'GENESIS was my first love and it will be my last'. This is a kind of personal slogan from me because in my opinion their music in the 'HACKETT-line-up' is the most elaborated, magical, compelling and unique symphonic rock ever made. Many musicians agreed and released very GENESIS-inspired album to show their adoration, from German NEUSCHWANSTEIN and Italian SENSITIVA IMMAGINE to Japanese SHINGETSU and Dutch PLACKBAND. An acclaimed new GENESIS-inspired band is The WATCH from Italy, their brand new CD "Vacuum" is a warm and honest tribute to them: the same twanging guitars, organ- runs, Mellotron waves and the very GABRIEL-esque vocals. It sounds pleasant with some great bombastic outbursts but I miss good ideas, the drumming is a bit too tight and the vocals tend to sound a bit boring at some moments. They have gained a 'cult-following' in Holland, their sales are good but I cannot trace much progress since I saw them a few years ago. Don't get me wrong: they deliver fine prog rock but to me their music doesn't generate the excitement according to the worldwide 'euphoric' reviews.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#32924) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 20, 2004

Review by Clayreon
4 stars It's probably never been researched, but it is likely that GENESIS is the most imitated band in the prog world. PLACKBAND, NEUSCHWANSTEIN, THE MUSICAL BOX and THE GENESIS PROJECT are just a few groups that name Peter Gabriel and company as their biggest role model. You have to be good to be original in that way. The early material from the band THE WATCH ('Ghost' from 2001 and 'Twilight' and 'Night Watch' from 1997) was not very convincing. The vocals, especially, didn't make a big impression on me. But with this latest CD, they solved this problem. The vocals of Rossetti are better than ever and can compete with Gabriel.

What is very noticeable on 'Vacuum' is the over abundance of keyboards: the mellotrons, Hammonds and other pianos create a whirlwind of sounds, unfortunately at the expense of the guitar. You can hear Ettore here and there and he can really play some fantastic Hackett solos, but there could've been more.

The somber piano playing on the laid back song, "Hills", gives you the feeling that you're listening to a youthful Peter Gabriel. The color of the voice even sounds like his did. The music goes full throttle in "Damage Mode". You feel like you're completely in the Lamb zone with the use of melodious prog interchanged with heavy parts. Even more, you're treated to Rossetti's flute playing. The mellotron sounds are assured to give goose bumps to every prog fan and there's a Hackett style intermezzo at the end as dessert.

What makes 'Vacuum' better than the first three CDs is that THE WATCH has now found a balance between the complexity of the music and the recognizeability of a song. The track "Wonderland" has an incredibly catchy chorus. But there are consequences for the length of some of the songs. There seems to be no place on this album for epics such as "Firth of Fifth". "Shining Bald Heads" is the outsider. Apart from the usual influences, other references come to mind, such as KAYAK, 10CC (even ACT. listen to the piano) and E,L & P. It's a very interesting song and proves that the band can branch out into other directions.

"Out of the Lands" starts off with very calm singing accompanied by an acoustic guitar and a synthesizer. Soon after that, the other instruments chime in and it then becomes the usual Watch type song. There's heavy drumming throughout the whole album. The sensitive play on the hi-hats and cymbals is fantastic.

"Goddess" is a relatively short song. It has lots of tempo changes, twists and turns, a memorable chorus and excellent keyboard playing (Wakeman, Emerson). This song is one of the high points on 'Vacuum'.

The melodramatic "Deeper Still" is followed by the title track. It's a perfect synthesis of all what has been mentioned above. THE WATCH still follows the source of their inspiration, but it's certainly not a copy of it. This album exhausts its strength through the use of keyboards and vocals. They definitely demanded their leading role on the CD. I bet that the other instruments will be spotlighted on the next album and that The Watch will gain its own reputation. This album is a pleasant surprise for me.

Review by Claude 'Clayreon' Bosschem

Send comments to Clayreon (BETA) | Report this review (#32929) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 04, 2005

Review by Gatot
4 stars During the years when I enjoyed Genesis in the seventies I got no problem when Peter Gabriel left the band (don't get me wrong, I love Gabriel's theatrical singing style and voice quality) and Genesis continued with excellent follow-up "A Trick of The Tail" with Phil Collins as front man. I did get problem only when Hackett left the band after "Wind and Wuthering" because the music direction changed. So, basically I love Genesis because of the music especially those with Hackett as guitarist and contributing songwriter in the band. When I knew bands like Citizen Cain and The Night Watch in the nineties I was so happy that the early Genesis sounds were still alive in the nineties. Simone ROSSETTI, the front man and excellent flautist of The Night Watch, went on with his new band The WATCH. What's unique here that the vocal quality of Simone Rossetti is very similar to Peter Gabriel and is better than Cyrus of Citizen Cain.

This album gives me full satisfaction as I have been so longing for the music which is similar to early Genesis. In a nutshell, "Vacuum" is what the Genesis would sound like if Hackett did not quit and Gabriel rejoined the band. It's like the follow-up album of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" released right after "Wind and Wuthering". What a great idea, isn't it?

Let's have a look the album in detail .

Hills (1:26) opens the album featuring accentuated vocal by Rossetti accompanied with electric piano work by Gabriele Manzini augmented with soft howling guitar by Ettore Salati in the vein of Hackett. Even though this short prolog track is performed without drum and bass but it's energetic in style and it sets the whole atmosphere of the album. Great opening. This track continues seamlessly to the next track.

Damage Mode (7:17) starts off with a full blast of the music with all players contribute with their own instruments. The opening part is really upbeat with riffs and dominated by powerful mellotron sounds. The music turns into slower beat with intersecting powerful vocal and combined again with the mellotron work. Keyboard then follows up with a background music to form a symphonic nuance. Rossetti performs his flute work on quiet passage with guitar fills reminiscent of early Genesis music. The ending part is really amazing: mellotron and electric guitar solo give a stunning sound. It's a wonderful and masterpiece composition.

Wonderland (7:05) begins with powerful Gabriel-like voice by Rossetti "Bright lights and street signs wonderland ." accompanied with soft keyboard sound in slow tempo. The music moves steadily into an uplifting mood and I especially like when Rossetti sings "Chain reaction on the razor's edge ..". The guitar work this time is played with different style when the vocalist sings but it returns back to typical Genesis guitar fills especially during quiet passages with vocal. Keyboard and mellotron give symphonic nuance.

Shining Bald Heads (5:55) brings the music in medium/fast tempo with dynamic singing style combined with rhythm section comprising keyboard and guitar. Some segments of keyboard section during singing verse sounds like "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" (the song, not the album). The band puts a variation especially during piano and vocal line that reminds me to Supertramp's style. The song is rich in style and composition.

Out Of The Land (6:05) starts with a wonderful combination of voice line and guitar fills augmented with a very soft mellotron sound, continued with keyboard work. Halfway through the band performs this track in mellow style and in the middle of the track the music moves in crescendo and brings the music into a faster upbeat tempo with soaring keyboard, drums and electric guitar solo.

Goddess (5:48) is an upbeat track with riffs and organ-drone work. The composition reminds me to the music style of Genesis "Nursery Cryme". It has inventive keyboard work combined with guitar and dynamic drumming. The ending part of this track sees beautiful arrangement integrating the key instruments: keyboards, guitar with vocal.

Deeper Still (3:24) is a mellow track where some voice lines are done with distant vocal style. Having enjoyed with some complex arrangements, it's good having this track featured at seventh track as it provides a musical break. Not only that providing musical break, this song is melodic and for my personal taste it's much better than having "More Fool Me" in Genesis' "Selling England By The Pound" album.

The Vacuum (10:59) concludes the album with multi-mood song combining mellow style at the opening accompanied with guitar fills and segments with upbeat / high register notes. The music immediately moves into higher register notes through the voice of Rossetti. This last song contains excellent composition which integrates soaring organ sounds, dynamic drum and powerful vocal. The music turns into fast tempo with long sustain keyboard followed with wonderful guitar work and dazzling drum by Roberto Leoni. Vocal singing style seems like a theatrical acts with excellent punctuation strengthen with inventive organ / keyboard work.

Conclusion

What can I say about this album? Wonderful. Definitely, the band is heavily influenced by early Genesis - plus a bit influence from King Crimson - music with lead singer voice quality and power that are identical with Peter Gabriel. But The Watch music is not something called as derivative as their compositions are mostly different and not ripping off from the older band; especially when I look the album track by track and segment by segment. Some compositions may have similar structures but the overall composition is different. For me personally, I'm glad that now I have at least three bands which still carry the torch of early Genesis sound: Citizen Cain especially through "Somewhere But Yesterday" album, Hamadryad especially the new album "Safe in Conformity". How can I recommend you, my dear readers of this site? It depends. If you are early Genesis music lovers and you don't mind other band carries the torch of early Genesis music style then this album is really for you. Otherwise, you might say that this is a rip off. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#43392) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005

Review by Andrea Cortese
4 stars Piano, mellotron, organ, moogs and synths.

According to the "symphonic prog appreciation thread"'s boys (someone told me I'm one of them, what a honour! ;) these should be the ingredients for any appreciable record. And so this is it with this strong italian release from the recent years (2004). The Watch have all of them well mixed with a Genesis' evident vein. The singer himslef, Simone Rossetti, with his voice comes comes very close to Peter Gabriel. This is not something to blame them for, after all. It should be quite normal for any respectable neo-prog band, I think. A sub- genre I'm not very familiar with, even though it's not far from my tastes towards classic symphonic prog. And so what's the matter for not giving Vacuum the biggest prize of five stars?

The first half of the album is impressive, hands off. Something you can love at the very first listen, a convincing work, well balanced in each of its parts. The bands' members really have the time to express their skills and capabilities all is where it should be. "Damage Mode", "Wonderland" and "Shining Bald Heads" (yep, the album is completely sung in english) are the most vafourite of mine and worth to be remembered with special mention. The sound is deep and gentle at the same time, never too serious, never too breezy. Dreamy sometimes.

Sadly what the album lacks of is somehow in variety. In fact the second half (after have already listened to the first, anyway) appears to be based on the very same formula, at the risk of becoming a little bit boring and repetitive. People generally don't care too much and maybe so should I.

Send comments to Andrea Cortese (BETA) | Report this review (#89449) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 11, 2006

4 stars 4.5 stars.This is a magical album for me, pushing the right buttons most of the time. Yes this sounds like an updated (Gabriel era) GENESIS album.The focus is on the absolutely amazing vocals of Simone, and also the hammond organ, keyboards and mellotron. I really enjoyed reading Hibou's review because I can tell she feels the same emotion as I do when listening to this album. In fact i'd go as far to say this is in my top ten of Neo-Prog records of all time.

"Hills" features reserved vocals and keys throughout.This is really a short intro track. "Damage Mode" is uptempo with vocals but there is some good contrasts here with the calm sections.This just sounds really good. I like when it settles right down with flute, vocals and keys after 3 minutes.Then at about the five minute mark a flood of mellotron washes in. Nice. "Wonderland" is one of my favourites with hammond organ and a rare guitar solo. It's so uplifting when it kicks in around 1 1/2 minutes.The mellotron is so majestic during the calm 4 1/2 minutes in.

"Shining Bald Heads" has these pulsating synths as drums come and go. Vocals before a minute. Excellent sound. A calm before 3 minutes with Gabriel-like vocals then it kicks back in. Themes are repeated. "Out Of The Land" is another great tune. It makes me emotional for some reason, I don't know, but it's wondrous. Very GENESIS-like and delicate. "Goddess" has some energy right out of the gate. I like the drum/synth sectuion 3 1/2 minutes in and the mellotron a minute later. "Deeper Still" is a mellotron laden beauty. Keys to open and fragile vocals. It's simply gorgeous when it kicks in after a minute. Love the synths after 2 1/2 minutes to end it. "The Vacuum" features moog, mellotron and hammond organ, what else could a person ask for ? I have to emphasize again, what a fantastic singer this man is. Another GENESIS-like tune.

This is a must have for Neo-Prog fans out there.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#95712) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Review by Menswear
3 stars Who does not like Genesis?

"Come on, a show of hands?! Anybody? You in the back? Don't be shy!"

Ha. Just as I thought: everybody likes Genesis, especially the Gabriel years. Argn, why did they had to break up? Arrrgn, indeed. But for those early years afficionados, there's a lot of spoofs around.

Early Marillion, Neuwashtein, Carptree, Grand Stand and perhaps the closest to them: The Watch. Many reviewed this album and I had to find out if they were right: is this worth the try?

Yes, but not for everybody. Die-hard fans of Gensis will find the cloning above average, because when you do a spoof, it has to be right done to avoid tackyness. The lyrics are abundant (like Gabriel), the drum is loose (like Phil), the keyboard is great (like Banks) and the voice is so close to Gabriel in the Lamb, it's fascinating. This is a great package since the voice is great, but also the music is straight outta Selling England / The Lamb. Frankly, I didn't find anything clichéd or corny yet!

Listen before buying, but give it a try because it could comfort your 'good ol' times Genesis craving'.

It does what it does.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#101044) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Review by Prog-jester
5 stars Well.I must have been growing up to this one.While "Ghost" is even (being nevertheless the incredible album), "Vacuum" has a more personal taste.Listening to new Watch's song "Doctor Mystere", I must admit, their third one will be even better...

Back to "Vacuum".It opens with surrealistic "Hills" and then bursts into "Damage Mode"(I prefer to consider them as a one track), my favouritest song The Watch EVER done. What a power!What a lirycs!What a video(downloaded from their sire today)!Simply the best track - I'd recommend to Archives collbs replace The Watch's song here on "Damage Mode"..."Wonderland" is a ballad with mellow darkly-sounding tune, surrealistic and even frightening."Shining Bald Heads" has incredible chorus in best Harold-the-Burrel's traditions - Genesis' fun side at its best.Two next tracks ("Out of the Land" and "Goddess") are the ones I had problems with...but loved them recently.Both dramatic and complex, they show the most innovative side of The Watch."Deeper Still" is again a modern-prog ballad in "Riding the Elephant"-style, pretty radio-friendly.Closing epic "Vacuum"(with hidden "Hills-2" part) has few most memorable parts to hum later to your friends...;-) I simply love it!!!

Don't waste a single minute - go and buy it! GENESIS and Genesis-related fans will love it for sure, while the others SHOULD check it too! Highly recommended!!! One of the best Symphonic band nowadays and my personal favourite from the last 5 years!

Impatiently waiting for the new one! I hope there'll be a LONG epic...;-) to show the whole potential power of THE WATCH!

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#104870) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 29, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars I have already expressed my feelings about "The Watch" (and "The Night Watch" as well). I just like this Italian band who is of course absolutely Genesis-oriented.

When you see them live, they never hide this. They show a deep respect and sincere love about the masters. And I like this. As I like an awful lot their very good compositions. Take the opening number : "Hills". It is truely brilliant : great vocals, lush mellotron, great backing band. What do you need more if, like me, you are particulaly nostalgic of this period (the seventies) and want to prolong the experience ? I guess nothing. This is probably one of their best songs. But I like "Wonderland" a lot as well. Romantic and passionate. When neo-prog meets Italian symphonic.

The songs of this album will be shorter than on their debut one; but just listen to the jewel of "Deeper Still". Melody, emotion, beautiful keyboards, profund vocals. In just obver three minutes. The only long song is also a fabulous track. "Vacuum" is a complex one. Very much "Cinema Show" oriented with a sensitive acoustic intro interrupted by almost heavy keys. The mighty parts remind me of "The Return..." (one of their cover song during their live stes). This is another highlight.

This is effectively a trip back to the early seventies but with a fresh and modern sound. Skilled musicians and superior production make this release a great professional work. There are no weak tracks and this album should please a majority of the early Genesis aficionado. But not the ultra-purists amongst yourselves.

I could have been one of those. I started listening to them in 1973 and as some of you, I did see the great line-up on stage, while they were five. And I can not blame "The Watch" for providing me so much joy while listening to their brilliant music. I wouldn't rate this album as a masterpiece; but it is an extremely pleasant one. I am looking forward to see them again (although we were very few to attend on their previous gig at "Spirit Of '66).

One word about Rossetti. On top of being a great singer (fully Gabriel oriented), he also writes interesting and complex text. He is also very kind towards his audience. Thank you for this Simone. Keep on with the good work. Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#132976) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Cesar Inca
4 stars To many, "Vacuum" is the most powerful effort by The Watch so far. Now that we are in a moment of prog music when neo-prog seems to have become a paradigm that has noting new to offer to the ever- hungry prog community, The Watch stands out as a musical ensemble with enough creativity and punch to bring out something interesting and engaging under these lines. The "Twilight" album by The Night Watch had been a breath of fresh air, and now this off-shoot that has solidly lived its predecessor has confirmed this first impression. "Vacuum" is great, period. 'Hills' is the 1+ minute long prelude that kicks off the album's repertoire, bringing soft piano chords and e-bow guitar lines in a lyrical fashion. Then, the monster 'Damage Mode' gets in through its eruption of Genesis-based mannerisms in terms of melodic developments and arrangements. The ballsy motifs are displayed in an epic dynamics in which the softer interlude (6 and 12 string guitars plus flute state a bucolic harmonics very much a- la "Nursery Rhyme") meets a proper place to convey a moment of repose. The grandeur of track 2 finds an adequate counterpart in the eerie introspectiveness of 'Wonderland', a track full of captivating romanticism which keeps some sort of mysterious vibe to it: sometimes I feel that it is somewhat related to Gothic rock. Due to the presence of Beatlesque piano in the initial motif, 'Shining Bald Heads' may give the impression that we are treated with the poppier side of The Watch, but as it turns out, this song not only comprises but enhances the epic dynamics that we already found in 'Damage Mode'. It is less accomplished in terms of cohesion but it definitely has a more dramatic feel due to its augmented dose of contrast and colourfulness. 'Out of the Land' bears a similar mood to that of 'Wonderland', albeit with a bigger accentuation on the ethereal aspect - the melancholic spirit of the melody and the sensible use of mellotron help to reinforce this feeling in the listener's mind. 'Goddess' has to be one of the finest pieces ever written by The Watch bunch - it is yet another example of their Genesis retro- prog, with a fluid transition among themes, tempos and moods. The guitar phrases and leads are lovely, and so are the orchestrations and ambiences provided by keyboardist Manzini: "The Wake"-era IQ meets "Somewhere but yesterday"-era Citizen Cain. Complex and catchy in equal proportions, this song and 'Damage Mode' are definitive proofs of the sort of artistic magic that neo-prog can still convey thanks to the specific vision of Rossetti & co. In what seems to be an interacting intercalation of epic titles and introspective ones, 'Deeper Still' reiterates the subtleties of melancholy that we already found in tracks 3 and 5: this piece's peculiarity is that it stands in a shorter time span, and it also relies relatively on the use of digital rhythm patterns, a source of updating modernization for this retro-prog framework. The namesake song is the largest one in the album, as well as the closure. It lasts almost 11 minutes, and that means that the band has plenty of room to incorporate a variety of moods and sections. Some rockier sections are really powerful, with a compact rhythm duo that sustains the flow efficiently. Some keyboard ornaments feel a bit creepy, which is effective when it comes to create a dramatic feel at some passages. At some point, the 'Hills' motif remerges and states a reflective passage that provides a feeling of loneliness right into the end. One may feel tempted to perceive it as an incomplete mood, but with more listens one can notice that it is a very clever (anti-)climax. Overall balance: 4 ¼ stars for "Vacuum".

Send comments to Cesar Inca (BETA) | Report this review (#196962) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 02, 2009

Review by Warthur
4 stars The Watch once again pull off their trick of creating a sound which is both thoroughly modern and updated and yet at the same time 100% rooted in the classic Gabriel-era Genesis sound on Vacuum, but they also slip in here and there a few intriguing influences from beyond Genesis; for instance, on the closing track Vacuum I detect a few spacey touches and a gentle hint of an almost Gong-like sense of humour. Once again, The Watch show how to do the clone band thing right; only those whose hearts are completely hardened towards clone bands could hold their Genesis mimicry against them when they do it this well.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#672994) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
4 stars The hunger for some good vintage GENESIS sounds led to the growing fame of The Watch, which performed several concerts after the release of ''Ghost'', even some very nice live bootlegs appeared, having caught the great energy of this band.However better things were still on the way.In 2004 The Watch released their second album on Lizard under the title ''Vacuum''.

The good potentional as listened to the ''Ghost'' finally transformed into some excellent musicianship on ''Vacuum''.Awesome Retro-Prog in a GENESIS mold with tons of acoustic textures, swirling synths and of course huge Mellotron waves.Additionally the sound of The Watch finally seems to find its own identity, though the GENESIS influence is still the leading force.The performances became even more dramatic and intricate, the guitar melodies are pretty memorable and the vocal harmonies of Rossetti are just delicious.Compositionally the band made a step forward, combining the Symphonic Rock aesthetics delivered under the nostalgic analog keys with the modern guitar sounds of Salati, featuring among others plenty of instrumental breaks between acoustic and electric themes as well as some more complexity.This is some very consistent and highly theatrical Symphonic Rock all the way.

Forget any cheap GENESIS clones out there.The Watch and ''Vacuum'' are among the better ones, if not the best, and this album comes highly recommended for all lovers of vintage Progressive Rock.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#811024) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 27, 2012

4 stars Trying to write a review of this album without mentioning that G name....... The Watch is as much known as a Genesis cover band as for their own albums. It should therefore not come as a surprise that their own studio albums is pretty similar to Genesis too. And I mean Genesis and not the de ... (read more)

Report this review (#396785) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, February 08, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a really dynamic album by a band I really want to get to know better. The band is clearly influenced by classic Genesis, and the incredible resemblance Simone Rossetti has to Peter Gabriel really pushes the music forward. These are very musically dense songs, with lots of changes and intri ... (read more)

Report this review (#150549) | Posted by puma | Wednesday, November 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Since GENESIS was my first musical education. I was very interested in the much promoted WATCH album vacuum. So I pre-ordered the CD. I don't know why I was a bit disapponted. It is indeed very much GENESIS like, however they can't thrill me. The musicians are good, the vocals are beautifull, bu ... (read more)

Report this review (#149524) | Posted by Aleph0 | Thursday, November 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars When I visited a concert of the Genesis cover-band 'The Musical Box', someone was spreading demo cd's of this band, containig a track from their 1st record 'Ghost' and 1 from this album. The cover-text said something like 'this could be somehow a lost genesis-album from the mid-seventies'. In a ... (read more)

Report this review (#84896) | Posted by ProgRob | Thursday, July 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a fun, fun album. To say that THE WATCH are an early GENESIS clone would be completely unfair. To say they might make a heck of a tribute band well... Though the style is very similar to PETER GABRIEL's genesis ( due largely to Simone Rossetti's uncanny vocal style) these Italians show ... (read more)

Report this review (#82768) | Posted by Trafficdogg | Wednesday, July 05, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If you like Gabriel-era Genesis, this album is for you. Lots of mellotron and organs, tasteful guitars, and terrific & tricky time signatures and tempo changes. And while so many newer prog bands suffer from weak singing, The Watch features awesome lead vocals that are indeed very similar to P ... (read more)

Report this review (#32932) | Posted by | Sunday, May 01, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Rock has always been a musical form of inspiration and imitation. The Beatles, Stones, and The Beach Boys all borrowed from the founding fathers of rock (Chuck Berry, Little Richard). The Byrds imitated Bob Dylan (who was highly influenced by Woodie Guthrie). In the 70's the masters of hard ro ... (read more)

Report this review (#32930) | Posted by | Monday, March 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I had heard this CD described as the best album Genesis never did. I won't quite go that far, but clearly classic Genesis is their first and biggest influence. Simone Rosetti sounds uncanily like a young Peter Gabriel. Some of Sttore Salati's guitar rifts sound like they came straight from ... (read more)

Report this review (#32928) | Posted by rjeffreyr | Monday, January 10, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars An absolute masterpiece of prog! cant stop listening to it!! it is all i love in a prog band. Ok it's sound exactly like Gabriel-era Genesis but i think the guys should be proud of it!! VERY VERY PROUD!!!!! Vacuum will stay in my Top 10 for a long time. Highly recommended!! Top notch prog. can ... (read more)

Report this review (#32927) | Posted by stephdrum | Monday, January 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Again, here is the "New Genesis". It's like after the Beatles split up, everybody was waiting for the New Fabs... Okay, just like Neuschwanstein or Kyrie Eleison or whatever band that's either heavely influenced by or try to capture the sound of the Real McCoy, these blokes did a very nice jo ... (read more)

Report this review (#32923) | Posted by Wickie | Thursday, November 18, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WATCH "Vacuum"