THE ABSENCE OF PRESENCE

Kansas

Kansas The Absence of Presence album cover

Buy KANSAS Music
Studio Album, released in 2020

1. The Absence of Presence (8:22)
2. Throwing Mountains (6:21)
3. Jets Overhead (5:17)
4. Propulsion 1 (2:17)
5. Memories Down the Line (4:38)
6. Circus of Illusion (5:19)
7. Animals on the Roof (5:13)
8. Never (4:51)
9. The Song the River Sang (5:06)

- Ronnie Platt / lead vocals, keyboard

Label: Inside Out Music
Format: Vinyl, CD/Blu-ray Artbook, CD, Digital
July 17, 2020

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to TCat for the last updates

Buy KANSAS The Absence of Presence Music

More places to buy KANSAS music online

KANSAS The Absence of Presence ratings distribution

KANSAS The Absence of Presence reviews

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars "We still stand out. It's the way since the days of our youth. The strangest sight. Like animals on the roof"

America's best band is back with a new record! The line-up is almost the same as on the previous The Prelude Implicit, with one important exception: the addition of keyboard player Tom Brislin. Having previously performed live with Yes, Camel, and Renaissance, Brislin has now joined Kansas. That means that he has played with four of my all time favourite bands! I already knew that he could play, but Brislin surprises everyone here by contributing his own compositions and lyrics to many of the songs on The Absence of Presence, and even sings lead vocals on one! Kansas are really lucky to have landed Brislin.

The rest of the band are in top form as well, with vocalist Ronnie Platt and producer/guitarist Zak Rizvi, both of whom joined the band for the previous album, now having settled firmly into the line-up. Violinist David Ragsdale, who first joined the band in the early 1990's, performs better than ever, and Billy Greer, a member since the mid 1980's, is still going strong. Drummer Phil Ehart and guitarist Richard Williams have of course been there since the beginning. As a collective, these seven men carry the great legacy of Kansas into the 2020's.

The Absence of Presence is a stronger album than The Prelude Implicit, the latter having failed to impress me much even though I do like it. Rizvi is again responsible for the bulk of the music, while Brislin provided most of the lyrics. Brislin is the sole architect behind Memories Down the Line, The Song the River Sang (on which he also sings lead vocals), and the instrumental Propulsion 1. The latter is one of my favourites on the album together with Jets Overhead and the eight plus minute title track.

Let's hope for a live release next, preferably a live video, as I would love to see this line-up in action playing these new songs live mixed in with classics from the history of this great band.

4 stars This is the second album released by this new incarnation of Kansas and I really admire that they aren't trying to just emulate their 70s heyday albums and cater to nostalgia. This to me sounds like a band genuinely progressing and creating their own original musical path and sound. The addition ... (read more)

Report this review (#2431251) | Posted by dougmcauliffe | Wednesday, July 22, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Even knowing the band for more than 30 years I never have been a great Kansas-Fan. But somehow THE ABSENCE OF PRESENCE caught me right away. I can't stop listening to it since it was released yesterday. I have the greatest respect for bands that can be faithful to their roots and sound fresh and ne ... (read more)

Report this review (#2420450) | Posted by Stoertebeker | Saturday, July 18, 2020 | Review Permanlink

3 stars FIRST REVIEW OF THIS ALBUM In 2011 a dream came true when I finally witnessed my first Kansas gig, since I became a Kansas fan after buying their first two LP's in 1975. I was also pleased with their comeback album The Prelude Implicit from 2016. So how about this new Kansas album, with only ... (read more)

Report this review (#2418375) | Posted by TenYearsAfter | Thursday, July 9, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KANSAS "The Absence of Presence"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.