TRI-LOGY

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Kingston Wall Tri-Logy album cover

Buy KINGSTON WALL Music
Studio Album, released in 1994

1. Another Piece Of Cake (3:48)
2. Welcome to the Mirrorland (3:46)
3. I'm the King, I'm the Sun (4:56)
4. The Key: Will (1:07)
5. Take You to Sweet Harmony (3:24)
6. Get Rid of Your Fears (2:56)
7. When Something Old Dies (1:21)
8. Alt - land - is (5:12)
9. Party Goes On (4:25)
10. Stüldt Håjt (8:59)
11. For All Mankind (6:17)
12. Time (7:07)
13. The Real Thing (18:02)

Bonus cd (Zen Garden 1998 remastered)

1. Skies Are Open (7:24)
2. Third Stone From The Sun (7:46)
3. Have You Seen The Pygmi-Mies (2:20)

Search KINGSTON WALL Tri-Logy lyrics

Search KINGSTON WALL Tri-Logy tabs

- Petri Walli / guitar, vocals
- Jukka Jylli / bass, backing vocals
- Sami Kuoppamäki / drums

Guest musicians:
- Kimmo Kajasto / synths etc.
- Sakari Kukko / saxophone
- Peter & Pan / diggeridoo, jew harp
- Carl Käki-Motion / stüldt håjt

CD Trinity-TTYCD 0006-Fin-1994 / CD Zero-XRCN-1200-Jap-1995 / CD Zen Garden-GAR 18-Fin-1998 (remastered)

KINGSTON WALL MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KINGSTON WALL Tri-Logy Music

III Tri-LogyIII Tri-Logy
Gar 2001

More places to buy KINGSTON WALL music online Buy KINGSTON WALL & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KINGSTON WALL DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KINGSTON WALL Tri-Logy ratings distribution

KINGSTON WALL Tri-Logy reviews

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars This album was my first introduction to this band as a teenager, so I certainly have some nostalgic feelings for the disc. But on this record I really appreciate how the individual tracks form solid and logical musical entities, so I believe the band had evolved much, especially when compared to the "Mushroom" tests on their first album.

The first ten tracks create an over forty minutes long batch of continuous music. "Another Piece of Cake" opens the album with aggressive sabre dance on an oriental scale. "Welcome to The Mirrorland" works as a calm aural transitional space, being also a background for Petri's tales, then switching as an intro for "I'm The King, I'm The Sun". Petri drives the song furiously with his guitar and fabulous rhythm section friends supporting him. "The Key: Will" is again a short soundscape followed by reggae influenced "Take You to Sweet Harmony". The next ambience "Get Rid of Your Fears" starts to morph the reggae riff towards more oppressing and psychedelic direction. "When Something Old Dies" and "Alt - Land - Is" are musically practically a same song, the titles referring more to the lyrical contents. These lyrics are on my knowledge based on the religious cult which Petri was following, a factor which creates a slight feeling of unease for myself, with all the respects for all beliefs. "Party Goes On" returns to the more common rock feelings, and some verse parts give hints of the following nearly nine minutes long track "Stüldt Håjt", which breaks interestingly some genre barriers by using elements of techno music. I think this is quite good solution, as some parts of the underground techno movement are surely influenced by psychedelic music happenings. The phrase "Stüldt Håjt" is pronounced "Stay High", which maybe reveals the other important aspect of the band's lyrical output, and along with other cult descriptions, I must admit that I don't value these statements personally very much.

After the first silent moment in the record, "For All Mankind" creeps in with didgeridoo sounds, upon which the main song slowly fades in. As a composition, this is a very basic Kingston Wall song having only few Near-East sounding rock themes, from which a pleasant jam oriented music waving from strong to calm movements is built. Then the track "Time" sounds quite much like Red Hot Chili Peppers to my ears, being a laidback number with awesome solo parts growing its length to seven minutes. The album closer is the longest of all of the tracks reaching eighteen minutes. "The Real Thing" opens very slowly with a neat aural landscape. The composition has a really powerful chord progression, which is slowly revealed by the guitar creeping in. The middle section returns to the calm long space having a solo for a saxophone. The rock sequence returns for serious jamming, and after that the album ends in sorrowful ambient notes closing the books of both Petri and the band.

I had the chance to hear the Bonus CD coming along the 1998 remastered version. It had three songs "Skies Are Open", "Third Stone From The Sun" and "Have You Seen The Pygmi-Mies" which are recorded from a live concert. Sounds are not very pleasant, but the band worked better on stage in my opinion, and it's nice to listen good real, interactive co-playing of talented musician, which these guys surely were. Overall I consider this third album as the best from the three studio albums, possibly due my own personal experiences with it from my youth hood. Still the more essential of their recordings is in my opinion their 3CD live box. But if you like fast hard rock with psychedelic influences, you won't waste your money on this one.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#33118) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 01, 2005

4 stars This is truly an amazing album of great guitar playing and fantastic synths from a guest keyboard player.The songs blend one into the other beautifully.

The first song "Another Piece Of Cake" is spectacular with incredible guitar playing, what a song ! And I have to mention the drummer who's playing throughout this record is unbelievable. "I'm The King, I'm The Sun" is an uptempo song with again amazing guitar, crisp drumming and great synth runs. "Take You To Sweet Harmony" has this reggae rhythm to it with more standout guitar and drumming.

"Get Rid Of Your Fears" is all about the guitar. I know i'm sounding like a broken record but the "Party Goes On" again features terrific guitar and drums. Walli sounds like Hendrix on "Time" another guitar highlight. "The Real Thing" is over 18 minutes long and starts off slowly picking up steam at about 4 minutes in. Check out the extended sax solo and the guitar melodies too. This comes very highly recommended, just to hear one of the great guitarists of our time and there is a psychedelic feel to this release as well.

I just love the music and if it wasn't for "Stuldt Hajt" a 9 minute song that isn't up to the standards of the rest of the album this might be a masterpiece. These Finnish psychedelic rockers did it again !

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#101490) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 03, 2006

Review by Finnforest
3 stars The journey ends for a psych-rock luminary.

On 28 June, 1995, Petri Walli climbed to the top of a church tower in Helsinki and jumped to his death. The uber talented guitarist and leader of Kingston Wall was 26 years old.

Bassist Jukka Jylli: "I think that was almost like Petri's solo album, this third one.it was really funny... because we didn't really have any idea what it will be... the result... Petri knew... we just tried to do our best. It was a very different album.Petri thought that the band was going to change somehow after this third album. Well, it changed because we split. I don't know what he actually wanted to do. He did not want to go on like before. So we released the album in autumn 1994 and I met Petri the last time on Christmas Eve, the same year... and then he went to India and after that I never saw him again. He tried to call me but I was not home. I was in the states. Shit happens..." [KW's Jukka Jylli, a brief excerpt from an interview by Scott Heller from Aural Innovations 4/99]

Kingston Wall came together in 1987 when Petri Walli convinced Jukka Jylli (over drinks) to call him back about starting a band. Jukka seemed less than thrilled about the talkative young man at the time but he made that call. Eventually the stars aligned and they picked up one of the most incredible drummer around, Sami Kuoppamaki. After playing live for some time they released their first spirited album in 1992, followed by their personal masterpiece KW2 a year later, and their mystifying swan-song KW3 (aka Trilogy) in 1994. They played their last gig on 6 December, 1994, and split up the next day. It was not clear that it was a permanent split though, perhaps more of a hiatus. Petri traveled to India after that as he was very interested in spiritual things. He is buried in Helsinki's Hietaniemi Cemetery, very close to the church where he took his life. Lyrics from all three albums, written by Walli, contain not-so-veiled messages about the state of his mind and speak openly of death. Some contend that the lyrics for "For All Mankind" from the final album are a suicide note in the form of a song lyric. (see below)

The first KW album is a rather rough and tumble affair. As mentioned, it is a spirited and occasionally fun musical equivalent of a car chase but it is not even in the same universe as the phenomenal second album. KW2 badly pummels the first album in every category you wish to compare: songwriting, playing, overall vision, overall wow-factor. The final album KW3 is somewhere in between from one perspective. But it is so different and bizarre that it's almost impossible to compare. While still retaining some of the psych-jam band glory of the first two album, the 3rd gets downright experimental at times via adventurous songwriting, way-out concepts, electronica, keyboards and sax, and a more studio album approach. The first two albums were essentially recorded live in the studio, often from material already road-tested, whereas the final album was the only true "studio" album according to Jylli. KW3 is an album that will irritate many fans of the second album's approachable, accessible sound. It will rock the boat and was likely intended to push buttons and challenge fans like groups often do when ready for a change. But for those who go in ready and willing for Walli's weirdest moments the album will still reward you.

The band charges furiously out of the gate with "Another Piece of Cake." Petri's very first solo sounds as aggressive and climactic as most album's showcase solo. Sami and Jukka are again as tight and brutal as Chad Smith and Flea. But as the track seques into "Welcome to the Mirrorland it becomes obvious this album is not a repeat of the last one. Strange, spacey loops of odd noises and synth gurgles fill out the landscape with Petri's voice taking on an otherworldy effect. "Take You to Sweet Harmony" embraces a little reggae with groovy echoed guitar wahs and a nice solo. "Get Rid of Your Fears" is a nice spacey guitar experiment with a heavy wall of bass. "Party Goes On" sounds like it indeed, a total psych-out with bizarre voices and instrumental cacophony. "Time" is the only track that sounds a bit serious, a bit sober as it laments the human condition over some laid back mode Hendrix guitar. And then there is "The Real Thing," another epic like "Mushrooms" from the first album, this one a tad leaner at 18 minutes. It's a better track as well, spanning a wide variety of moods and energies from quiet and spacey to balls out rock and roll. Mostly rock and roll with the power trio going for broke on every jam. With the best playing and even a killer long sax solo it is easily the stand-out track and a respectable, fitting farewell track for this amazing little band. The booklet is very cool with lots of cymbals and imagery that Petri was fond of. This is a good album but I still cannot call it essential. Once again I recommend the second album for anyone new to this band and if you like that, then perhaps move on and check out the other two.

As for the controversy about whether the lyrics of "For All Mankind" are Petri's farewell note to humanity, here's a couple lines, judge for yourself: "Look out world it's time to die.no more crying with my mind.when we'll sing no lullabies.and all of us have real eyes.the shaman seeds for all mankind.one day we will say goodbye.to all of them who live the time.no more need to compromise.balanced heart needs no disguise" [P. Walli]

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#165561) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 02, 2008

4 stars I guess Petri Walli was going for a philosophical concept album here. On the one hand, this gives the album the feel of a very complete and unified work that flows really well, but on the other hand it makes it a bit samey, it took me several listens before I could easily tell all the songs ... (read more)

Report this review (#562509) | Posted by Midnight Lightning | Saturday, November 05, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Quick review time. This is a great set of songs. Who are these guys? I want more and I guess based on the ratings of other albums I'll need to do just that! High energy and here's a word you don't get with Prog to often...funky. You have to get this one folks. I just found another CD for my 4 ... (read more)

Report this review (#165260) | Posted by StyLaZyn | Friday, March 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The pinnacle of Kingston Wall's career and what a shame it is that Petri Walli chose to end his life shortly after. The band was truly ahead of it's time, I don't think there were many bands in Finland that played this kind of music or atleast on this level back in the early 90's. Whether it has ... (read more)

Report this review (#133334) | Posted by Jimsey | Thursday, August 16, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars An amazing album. But like the number two there are some dull moments in here. special the ending in this album it's bit boring. and actually I find the worst Kw songs in this album. But I've have to say that in this album Kw is most experimentalistic of their three studio albums with didgeri ... (read more)

Report this review (#106603) | Posted by Siddhartha | Monday, January 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars OMGGGGGG Sakari Kukko's saxophone soloooooo........jeeeee...masterpiece solo, the rest is maybe to weird, but since they are from Finland i guess its okey, some ozric+zepp+hendrix+industrial meets acid+psychedelic+spacey+reggae kind of mixture...but The Real thing, is for real......i would buy ... (read more)

Report this review (#89820) | Posted by OvergroundMusic | Saturday, September 16, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Oh my god what a killer. As a whole, the best album from KW and one of the finest I have ever heard. As the athmosphere could have not got any better in the end, "The Real Thing" is easily in my top10 epics, sometimes easily my favourite one. 18minutes eargasm and Sami's drumming kills me (how ... (read more)

Report this review (#88277) | Posted by Ounamahl | Sunday, August 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Tri-Logy is an interesting album, but it has it's dull moments also. In this album Walli did lots of solo studio experinces and sometimes they work and sometimes not. The album lyrics deal a lot with a mythology created by Ior Bok (and this mythology is quite weird). Probably the most interesti ... (read more)

Report this review (#66653) | Posted by | Wednesday, January 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The best album ever for me. I can't tell which is second best and which are on top10. I just can tell that this is the best. This album links together all Kingson Wall albums. This is the album where Petri Walli says his final words to the world. How a 27-year-old man can be so full of wisdom ... (read more)

Report this review (#33116) | Posted by | Sunday, January 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KINGSTON WALL "Tri-Logy"