LIVE & LIFE

CD 1:
1. Witch Hunt (4:15)
2. An Angel Falls (1:11)
3. Painted Man (4:22)
4. This Way Madness Lies (3:43)
5. Spectre At The Feast (6:10)
6. Skin Game (4:26)
7. Salamander (3:35)
8. Bitter Harvest (1:17)
9. City Of Lanterns (1:31)
10. Riding The Tide (4:23)
11. Cutting The Cards (5:18)
12. Ascension (5:47)

CD2:
1. Serenity (2:27)
2. Chosen (6:38)
3. Double Vision (4:17)
4. The Hanging Tree (7:12)
5. (Don't Forget To) Breathe (5:23)
6. The Butterfly Man (9:06)
7. Enemy Without (5:37)
8. Solomon (13:47)
9. Jericho (6:42)
10. Crying For Help VII (3:52)

Search ARENA Live & Life lyrics

Search ARENA Live & Life tabs

- Rob Sowden / vocals
- John Mitchell / guitar & backing vocals
- Clive Nolan / keyboards & backing vocals
- Ian Salmon / bass
- Mick Pointer / drums

2CD + DVD Verglas VGCD027 UK-2004

and to ratinet for the last updates

ARENA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ARENA Live & Life Music

Songs From the Lions CageSongs From the Lions Cage
Inside Out Germany 2004
DURAN DURAN "Sticker" Arena L088-1037 OBI LD AC0859 US $14.99 [0 bids]
52m 36s
Le Grandi Voci Dell'Arena Di Verona - Ars Nova - 3 LPs - Classical - Live US $19.95 [0 bids]
XIV by Home (CD, Jul-2005, Arena Rock (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
DURAN DURAN Arena on Cassette Tape US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Step In The Arena - Gang Starr US $9.03 Buy It Now 2h 3m
TINA ARENA - Chains - CD single - 2 tracks US $1.50 [0 bids]
Dire Straits London 1985 recorded live at Wembley Arena RARE Import 1994 US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE BEST OF AUSTRALIAN MUSIC 1995 [ 2 CD ] COMPILATION KYLIE MINOGUE TINA ARENA US $22.46 Buy It Now 3h
TINA ARENA DON'T ASK US $2.19 [0 bids]
Tina Arena - Chains - [CDS], Tina Arena, Very Good US $1.62 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Hit Machine 8 Various AU CD Ft GF4 Tina Arena Kylie Minogue Technotronic Ween US $11.45 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Hit Machine 9 Various AU CD Tina Arena Annie Lennox CDB Jimmy Barnes Corona US $12.21 Buy It Now 3h 44m
1979 ARENA STYLE CLASSIC ROCK Fandango One Night Stand Vinyl LP US $2.99 [0 bids]
CNBLUE ARENA TOUR 2013 -ONE MORE TIME (Japanese Edition DVD + Exclusive Bonus ) US $61.09 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Halford Live At Saitama Super Arena DVD Heavy Metal Music Album Region 2 New US $27.84 Buy It Now 5h 40m
LEON RUSSELL At The Long Beach Arena JAPAN LP 1973 NM WAX w/OBI US $39.60 Buy It Now 5h 41m
Live At Saitama Super Arena - Halford New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $17.47 Buy It Now 6h 31m
Tina Arena - DON'T ASK (Advanced Promo CD Sampler) US $50.00 Buy It Now 6h 40m
ORIGINAL COLOUR PRESS TRANSPARENCY FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD WEMBLEY ARENA 1987 US $11.46 Buy It Now 6h 44m
ORIGINAL COLOUR PRESS SLIDE - CAMEO AT WEMBLEY ARENA LONDON 1987 US $11.46 Buy It Now 6h 46m
RARE ORIGINAL PRESS TRANSPARENCY (NEGATIVE) GEORGE BENSON WEMBLEY ARENA LONDON US $11.46 Buy It Now 6h 46m
SUPERB ORIGINAL PRESS PHOTO - LIONEL RICHIE ON STAGE AT WEMBLEY ARENA 1987 US $11.46 Buy It Now 6h 46m
You Me At Six - Final Night Of Sin At Wembley Arena CD US $25.40 Buy It Now 7h 44m
KRUPPS entering the arena LP 6 track (stab2) uk issue pressed in france statik 1 US $8.18 Buy It Now 8h
ORIGINAL 1985 PRESS TRANSPARENCY HOWARD JONES IN CONCERT AT WEMBLEY ARENA LONDON US $8.18 Buy It Now 8h 25m
Coliseum Rock by Stars 12" LP, Arena Rock - NM US $0.99 [0 bids]
PAUL McCARTNEY WORLD TOUR 1990 TICKET WEMBLEY ARENA US $8.18 Buy It Now 9h 20m
PRINCE & THE REVOLUTION CONCERT TICKET STUB WEMBLEY ARENA 1986 US $8.18 Buy It Now 9h 23m
Used complete standing ticket stub ARCADE FIRE Manchester Arena 2011 US $8.18 Buy It Now 10h
Slip Double: Steps : Live ! 2012 London O2 Arena US $16.37 Buy It Now 10h
THE WANTED - CONCERT FLYER - ARENA TOUR US $3.26 Buy It Now 10h 6m
Ryukyu uta Christmas Japan CD NEW KACHIMBA 1551 Arena US $18.99 Buy It Now 10h 33m
M. Lindberg - Arena Corrente 2 Feria [CD New] US $14.46 Buy It Now 10h 40m
The Killers Used Concert Ticket Newcastle Metroradio Arena 04/11/2012 US $1.62 [0 bids]
ABBA Live At Wembley Arena 2014 UK heavy vinyl 3-LP SEALED/NEW US $39.32 Buy It Now 11h 12m
Used complete ticket stub ARCADE FIRE Birmingham LG Arena 2010 US $8.18 Buy It Now 11h 28m
Drum & Bass Arena Summer Selec - Drum & Bass Arena Summer Selec NEW CD US $11.96 Buy It Now 11h 55m
In Deep by Tina Arena (CD, Feb-1997, Sony/Epic) - CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 12h 34m
YES - WEMBLEY ARENA 29/6/91 CONCERT TICKET US $11.39 Buy It Now 12h 40m
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK/ - ENNIO MORRICONE: ARENA CONCERTO - NEW CD BOXSET US $18.64 Buy It Now 12h 49m
Duran Duran : Arena CD US $15.78 Buy It Now 12h 51m
Various Artists : Drum n Bass Arena: 50 of the Biggest Drum n Bass Rollers Ever/ US $9.80 Buy It Now 12h 54m
K-SYSTEM "SOUND OF ARENA" LIQUID M EURODANC REMIXES CDS US $8.50 Buy It Now 13h 16m
Olivia Newton John (2) Duets CD NEW Darren Hayes Peter Allen Thorpe Arena US $22.42 Buy It Now 13h 32m
arena CD US $2.08 Buy It Now 13h 34m
HEAR'SAY (KYM MARSH, MYLEENE KLASS) - Sat 8th Sept 2001, Wembley Arena. Ticket US $1.62 [0 bids]
THE BEATLES LIVE AT THE JUDO ARENA PICTURE DISC LP VERY RARE! 0012 US $99.97 Buy It Now 13h 48m
1978 ARENA ROCK Foreigner Double Vision LP HOT BLOODED BLUE MORNING BLUE DAY US $2.99 [0 bids]
1984 ARENA ROCK PROMO Tommy Shaw Girls With Guns LP Singer From STYX SOLO DEMO US $2.99 [0 bids]
Duran Duran Arena LP record album & photo booklet 1984 Very Good Condition US $0.99 [0 bids]
ANITA BAKER - Compositions Tour,16th June 1990,Wembley Arena. Backstage VIP Pass US $6.54 [0 bids]
LED ZEPPELIN CELEBRATION DAY 2 CD + 1 BLU-RAY New + Sealed Live London o2 Arena US $16.93 Buy It Now 14h 13m
IL DIVO - World Tour 2006, 12th April 2006, Wembley Arena,London. Backstage Pass US $4.90 [0 bids]
CLIFF RICHARD - Access All Areas Tour, 28 Nov 1992,Wembley Arena. Backstage Pass US $4.90 [0 bids]
MAX EDWARDS ~ Rockers Arena ~ 12" Single PS US $32.76 [0 bids]
Giovanni Simone Mayr: Medea in Corinto / Arena (3 CD set ) [Import] US $24.99 Buy It Now 14h 49m
In Deep by Tina Arena (CD, Mar-1999, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
New: A.F.I. - I Heard A Voice (Live from Long Beach Arena!) CD US $3.98 Buy It Now 15h 10m
Joe Sherman and the Arena Brass Promise Her Anything Still Sealed LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 15h 24m
King Tubby - Surrounded By The Dreads At The National Arena Kingston Studio 16 US $78.65 Buy It Now 15h 37m
TOTO Hydra LP OOP late-70's arena-rock gatefold cover US $2.99 Buy It Now 15h 47m
Live at the Metro Arena Newcastle by UB40 (CD, Jun-2010, Ais) US $30.00 Buy It Now 16h 30m
Grandi Voci Dell'Arena Di Verona Vol. 2~Vinyl LP~SDD-571 US $5.39 Buy It Now 16h 36m
ARENA CONTA ZUMBI Edu Lobo Augusto Boal Gianfrancesco Guarnieri LP free ship US $116.20 Buy It Now 16h 39m
DOLLY PARTON-BLUE SMOKE WORLD TOUR FLYER 02 LONDON ARENA JUNE14- US $3.26 [0 bids]
REO Speedwagon Ridin The Storm Out Cassette Tape 1990 Hard Arena Rock AOR Soft US $4.49 Buy It Now 16h 52m
REO Speedwagon Hi Infidelity Cassette Tape 1990 AOR Hard Soft Arena 70s 80s Rock US $5.39 Buy It Now 17h 4m
Kylie Minogue Cd Rare Live From 02 Arena 2012 Exclusive Brazil All The Lovers US $33.00 [0 bids]
BAD COMPANY-04/11/2010 WEMBLEY ARENA NEW!!!/PAUL ROGERS RARE 3CD SET!!!! US $29.04 [0 bids]
JON BON JOVI(Classic)Cross Road/RICHIE SAMBORA-New Jersey/ARENA ROCK/Guitar/POP US $7.99 Buy It Now 18h 12m
SIMPLE MINDS - Live At 02 Arena, London, 30/11/13 CD X2 Greatest Hits US $1.62 [1 bids]
Aida: Arena Di Verona (Meir Wellber) - CD-JEWEL CASE Region 2 Brand New Free Shi US $33.85 Buy It Now 18h 16m
MARC ANTHONY & Tina Arena 'I Want To Spend...." 1trk Promo CD ZORRO US $1.49 [0 bids]
AEROSMITH Newcastle Arena 8th May 1997 Concert ticket stub US $1.64 [0 bids]
Don't Ask - Tina Arena (CD 1996) US $12.39 Buy It Now 18h 46m
Dick's Picks, Vol. 5: Oakland Auditorium Arena by Grateful Dead (CD, 1995, 3... US $45.00 Buy It Now 18h 52m
Metamorphosis Dynamic Arena Psych Jazz Rock Prog US $9.99 [0 bids]
CHRYSALIS SOUNDS INTO THE ARENA ex US $13.93 Buy It Now 18h 56m
ARENA BRASS: The Lonely Bull LP (Mono, promo tol, promo toc, corner bend) Easy US $15.00 Buy It Now 19h 37m
DURAN DURAN ARENA ISRAELI ISRAEL LP RARE COVER, BOOKLET US $40.00 Buy It Now 19h 50m
AC/DC ticket Miami Arena 21/01/96 # 2 US $16.39 Buy It Now 20h 41m
Tina Arena - Strong As Steel [CD New] US $12.86 Buy It Now 20h 57m
G. Verdi - Nabucco: Orig. Rec. Arena Di Verona [CD New] US $11.98 Buy It Now 21h
MIKE ARENA PRESENTS LITTLE BIG BAND JOE ROMANO BILL DOBBINS LP JAZZ STEREO RARE US $18.39 Buy It Now 21h 42m
AFI "I Heard A Voice" Live From Long Beach Arena new unopened CD US $4.95 [0 bids]
KISHORE KUMAR - Last Concerts 24 & 25 Jul 1987,Wembley Arena/NEC. Backstage Pass US $57.35 [0 bids]
TINA ARENA 'Don't Ask' [477886 2, CD, 1994, 1990s, Pop] US $8.98 Buy It Now 22h 45m
ASIA JOHN PAYNE ARENA JAPAN BLU SPEC MINI LP CD NEW BONUS TRACKS SICP-20419 US $34.99 Buy It Now 22h 49m
Duran Duran - Arena CD1984 Parlaphone Early JAPAN for USA Pressing Smooth Case US $7.99 [0 bids]
23h
DURAN DURAN Arena JAPAN CASSETTE TAPE ZR28-1225 w/PS+Insert US $29.99 Buy It Now 23h
MUSE 2013 A2 AUSTRALIAN TOUR POSTER WITH BIRDS OF TOKYO ROD LAVER ARENA US $4.49 [0 bids]
Wonderlick Topless At The Arco Arena CD US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Samplers THREE DISC LOT Rolling Stone; Teva; Arena Jams - OVER 30 TRACKS US $1.99 [0 bids]
Arena : Peppers Ghost CD (2005) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy ARENA music online Buy ARENA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ARENA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ARENA Live & Life ratings distribution

ARENA Live & Life reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars Best Neo Prog Live Acts

When this box set was displayed at local CD store down here in Jakarta, I was in a big doubt whether to buy it or not. Two reasons: 1. As the title in the box set mentioning that this is The Contagion Tour 2003 and I have got the DVD Caught In The Act that's basically the same tour, I thought that buying this box set would be of waste, especially with US$ 25.7 price tag was quite expensive for me. 2. There is no track list displayed visible to potential buyers that created another doubt, what's inside? But there's an information that it contains 2 live CDs plus bonus DVD that represents 40- minute documentary about the tour. Anyway, I didn't buy it and in fact I don't need to worry as there are 2 sets displayed, I took chance not to buy it. The day after, my prog mate Tatan called me up at my cell phone informing that he saw the box set and willing to purchase it. I checked the set at progarchives.com and see the track list and content. Well, I made decision to ask Tatan to reserve the other set for me. I went back to the store the same day and here I am with the box set!

I only had a chance to play this set at first time using my son's compo system when I arrived at home as when I was in the car I played another prog CD that I bought in that store - CONDITION RED first and second album (hey, this band must be featured here! It's prog to the corner man! Derek Sherinian, Alex Masi are contributing here). OK, for the Arena box set, to my surprise, even though the track list is similar with the Caught In The Act DVD but the live set was shot at different venues - taken from various stages during their Contagion European tour. First, I am amazed with the sonic quality of the live CD. It's so perfect hi-fi-wise and also technically as I don't here any technical glitches as usually I find in live records. Especially, when I played this CD with much more decent stereo set with LOUD volume, I could hear all sounds were produced perfectly, wide dynamic range, with all instruments and vocals can be heard in great details clearly. I don't believe that it's a live record! Second, on performance this live CDs offer much more dynamic and more lively performance of all musicians in the band. Especially, the guitar work by John Mitchell is much more alive and stunning compared to Caught In The Act DVD. Ian Salmon plays his bass wonderfully with some improvisations and inventive notes. WOW!!!!

On Performance

As in the DVD set, the live set begins with an energetic song taken from the Contagion album opener Witch Hunt. The music is delivered by the band lively with more dynamic sound. John Mitchell demonstrates his best skills in delivering high register notes guitar solo throughout the song. I think he is one of the best prog guitarist nowadays. Ian Salmon solid basslines also another place to observe as throughout the song he plays the bass guitar dynamically. Clive Nolan? Who would argue for his killing keyboard fills that characterize the neo-progness of ARENA music? Excellent. Rob Sowden brings his vocal power in his performance. "Exile! You show no mercy .." oh .. what a great lyrical piece and music segment. Mick Pointer plays his drums set wondefully - providing good fills especially during transitions.

The first four-track set is performed continuously and it's something that you should not miss any second of listening to them in its entirety. It's so energetic, so powerful and it has great music flow from Witch Hunt - An Angel Falls - Painted Man - This Way Madness Lies (instrumental). This Way Madness Lies projects an image of true dynamic of the four-track piece. It gives chance to John Mitchell and Ian Salmon demonstrate their work in an attractive way. Stunning!

The band then delivers mellower track Spectre at the Feast with low register notes voice, typical neo prog vein, continued with more uplifting one Skin Game, Salamander. Well, if you are familiar with ARENA you must have known that all tracks listed on CD one is basically coming from Contagion album. It ends up beautifully with Ascension. Disc One is a masterpiece: composition-wise and the band's performance!

Disc Two contains materials from the band's classic tracks of previous albums: The Visitor, Immortal?, Songs from The Lions Cage and Pride. It starts beautifully with Floydian guitar work by John Mitchell with Serenity (The Visitor album). He performs his guitar playing wonderfully: soft touch and great melodies. It continues with my favorite track from Immortal? album Chosen where, again, John Mitchell demonstrates his killing melodies during guitar solo interlude. I have to tell you that I'd rather listen to this live version than the original studio version. It's so LIVEly! Clive Nolan's keyboard solo is much more better here. Bravo Arena!!! Your musicianship represent maturity! "Freedom of speech but you have no voice. Freedom of spirit but we have no choice!". It flows seamlessly to Double Vision with an uplifting mode.

The Hanging Tree is another great track from The Visitor album performed excellently. Another favorite of mine (Don't Forget To) Breathe is also performed wonderfully. It starts beautifully with a musical loop and some soft riffs and powerful vocal line. I like the guitar part after fist lyrical verse. It's rocking man!!! Yeah .!! Arena rulez ..!!! This is the kind of music that's truly memorable. Oh my God . I cannot bear it anymore, it's so stunning! The other follow-up tracks are also excellently performed: The Butterfly Man and Enemy Without (I like the guitar solo at the end of the track). Well, it seems like it's the end of the performance. But, the band adds some other three tracks as its encore: Solomon (13:47), Jericho (6:42), and Crying For Help VII (3:52). Even though Rob was not the original singer of Solomon but he performs wonderfully here. For those who are familiar with early albums of Arena would agree with me on this. It's a great encore!

On DVD Documentary

Disc Three is basically a 40-minute DVD documentary of LIFE ON TOUR. It has only single menu offered here: PLAY. And you can see all various activities of the performance from preparation, execution (the show) and after the show interviews. As with any DVD offer, I always enjoy this documentary. Hey, I live in "rest of the world" country where live performance from prog bands from the west is just a dream that's hard to materialize. So, I always enjoy the live footage: all stage preparation, instrument setups, rehearsals, fans interview about the show, the Y-NOT Volvo truck and the comments of the tour bus driver, lighting technician, video technician, tour manager - all are good views for me. I imagine if they play down here in Jakarta, I will participate of course . But again, for people who live in rest of the world countries and love Arena will find this documentary worth seeing. BTW, throughout the film there are some spots of the live acts by the band in various places.

Summary

I have no single regret at all buying this box set of limited edition (only 10,000 copies printed). Performance wise it's a masterpiece. Selection of tracks is also excellent. Sonic quality is beyond expectation as usually live records have not so good audio quality. This one has excellent dynamic range and you must play it LOUD. Of BTW, the audience handclapping and shouting have also made this set lively. Don't miss this box set. On overall rating, I'm already biased now as I cannot afford to put anything less than full five stars rating. I will not back-off from the view of giving five star and ready to take the blame of biasness. What can I do my friend? It's a terrific set! Keep on proggin' .!

Progressively yours,

GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#33213) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars Arena is a very good live band. They have regularly produced great live recordings and this one is definitely on par with all the previous ones.

This live one is of course pretty much centered on their last studio release "Contagion". It was a very good album, and no less than twelve numbers (out of sixteen) are taken from it. It represents the whole of the first CD. This is only justice to one of their best albums. But Arena has never produced a weak one - IMHHO (in my humble and honest opinion).

Second CD is a great kaleidoscope of their career although I believe that the setlist from the "Immortal" numbers could have been more original. If you except "Breathe", each number played here were present on their previous live album bizarrely called "In Biarritz" (while being recorded in Amsterdam). Actually this live album was recorded in Poland. I would have anticipated that Arena would have chosen The Netherlands to do so since they are extremely popular in this country (as well as in Germany).

Of course the prog interest in Poland (but probably the rock interest in general) is enourmous for this big country (over than forty millions inhabitants) which has been for so long ignored (for the reasons we all know) from the rock concerts. I really believe that their people just deserve to get as much as rock music as possible. And the country has delivered really great prog bands as well.

Two of the three encores do belong to the best Arena's repertoire. "Solomon" and "Jericho" are great rock anthems. It will always be a pleasure to listen to those ones. The last time they were included on a live record was in 1997 for "Welcome To The Stage" (another great live album, BTW).

This double CD set will end with "Crying For Help VII" which is the traditional end of an Arena concert.

I really recommend this live album. It gives a perfect idea of their studio ones. It is also a cheaper way to get into Arena's repertoire. If you get hold of their three live albums so far, you'll get the essence of their whole studio recordings and save some substantial ? or $ or £.

An even better investment is to get hold of their DVD "Caught In The Act". It holds the same tracklist + some bonuses for even cheaper (on the marketplace of a well known on-line reseller). Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#125944) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 15, 2007

5 stars Live & Life is one of my all time favourite live albums. every song on the double CD is presented with skill and passion, and received by an appreciative crowd, giving the whole thing an excellent feel. The tracks have been amply covered in Gatot's review so I won't repeat the list, but will p ... (read more)

Report this review (#100187) | Posted by laghtnans | Friday, November 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ARENA "Live & Life "