LIVE & LIFE

CD 1:
1. Witch Hunt (4:15)
2. An Angel Falls (1:11)
3. Painted Man (4:22)
4. This Way Madness Lies (3:43)
5. Spectre At The Feast (6:10)
6. Skin Game (4:26)
7. Salamander (3:35)
8. Bitter Harvest (1:17)
9. City Of Lanterns (1:31)
10. Riding The Tide (4:23)
11. Cutting The Cards (5:18)
12. Ascension (5:47)

CD2:
1. Serenity (2:27)
2. Chosen (6:38)
3. Double Vision (4:17)
4. The Hanging Tree (7:12)
5. (Don't Forget To) Breathe (5:23)
6. The Butterfly Man (9:06)
7. Enemy Without (5:37)
8. Solomon (13:47)
9. Jericho (6:42)
10. Crying For Help VII (3:52)

Search ARENA Live & Life lyrics

Search ARENA Live & Life tabs

- Rob Sowden / vocals
- John Mitchell / guitar & backing vocals
- Clive Nolan / keyboards & backing vocals
- Ian Salmon / bass
- Mick Pointer / drums

2CD + DVD Verglas VGCD027 UK-2004

and to ratinet for the last updates

ARENA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ARENA Live & Life Music

Seventh Degree of SeparationSeventh Degree of Separation
Ais 2011
Songs From the Lions CageSongs From the Lions Cage
Inside Out Germany 2004
TINA ARENA 'Don't Ask' [477886 2, CD, 1994, 1990s, Pop] US $7.44 Buy It Now 42m 10s
DURAN DURAN Arena JAPAN CASSETTE TAPE ZR28-1225 w/PS+Insert US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
HITS OF 1990 VOL 3 - OZ 18 TRK CD - ANGELS-THE CHURCH-JOAN JETT-TINA ARENA-D-MOB US $23.63 Buy It Now 1h 17m
TODD RUNDGREN Arena 2008 UK 13-track promo test CD US $8.03 Buy It Now 1h 17m
ASIA JOHN PAYNE ARENA JAPAN BLU SPEC MINI LP CD NEW BONUS TRACKS SICP-20419 US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Wonderlick Topless At The Arco Arena CD US $3.94 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Live Phish Vol. 1: 12/14/95, Broome County Arena, Binghamton, New York US $65.88 Buy It Now 2h 19m
FOREIGNER 4: URGENT - 33RPM 12" HARD ROCK, POP ROCK, ARENA ROCK US $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Arena - Pepper's Ghost (Bookcover 2005 Edition), import and OUT OF PRINT! US $14.99 [0 bids]
1976 ARENA ROCK Bad Company Run With The Pack Vintage Vinyl LP US $3.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
LEONCAVALLO / ALAGNA / ARENA DI VERONA / SUTEJ - PAGLIACCI / NEW DVD US $35.29 Buy It Now 6h 20m
YOU ME AT SIX - FINAL NIGHT OF SIN: LIVE FROM WEMBLEY ARENA NEW CD US $28.83 Buy It Now 6h 22m
KATIE MELUA - 2008: LIVE AT THE O2 ARENA NEW CD US $27.40 Buy It Now 6h 41m
MUSICARDS 1991 Pro Set Music Card No 255 Historic Concert DOORS Winterland Arena US $4.75 Buy It Now 6h 58m
W-inds. Fly High Taiwan Ltd CD+DVD Ver.C?LIVE AT YOKOHAMA ARENA? US $18.79 Buy It Now 7h 46m
VERDI - NABUCCO: ORIG REC ARENA DI VERONA NEW CD US $15.20 Buy It Now 7h 50m
GENUINE Michael Jackson "This Is It" Lenticular HOLOGRAPHIC Ticket - O2 Arena US $46.68 Buy It Now 8h 15m
ELTON JOHN 2007 TOUR FLYERS,HALLAM FM ARENA ,X 6 US $1.59 [0 bids]
DURAN DURAN,ALL YOU NEED IS NOW TOUR FLYERS,SHEFFIELD MOTORPOINT ARENA,X 6 US $1.59 [0 bids]
CHERYL COLE,A MILLION LIGHTS TOUR,SHEFFIELD MOTORPOINT ARENA,6 X TOUR FLYERS US $1.59 [0 bids]
Alice Cooper Trash Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 11/12/1989) US $1.59 [1 bids]
Allevi & All Stars Orchestra - Arena Di Verona - CD/DVD US $9.64 [0 bids]
VERDI / BRUSON / MARTINUCCI / CAFORIO / ARENA - I DUE FOSCARI (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $31.36 Buy It Now 9h 40m
TINA ARENA - STRONG AS STEEL NEW CD US $18.45 Buy It Now 10h 22m
ORIGINAL COLOUR PRESS SLIDE - CAMEO AT WEMBLEY ARENA LONDON 1987 US $8.03 Buy It Now 10h 41m
RARE ORIGINAL PRESS TRANSPARENCY (NEGATIVE) GEORGE BENSON WEMBLEY ARENA LO US $8.03 Buy It Now 10h 42m
SUPERB ORIGINAL PRESS PHOTO - LIONEL RICHIE ON STAGE AT WEMBLEY ARENA 1987 US $8.03 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Def Leppard Euphoria Gig Ticket Birmingham NEC Arena 15/10/1999 US $1.59 [0 bids]
11h
Marillion Seasons End Tour Gig Ticket Wembley Arena 12/07/1990 US $1.59 [0 bids]
11h
RARE ORIGINAL PRESS TRANSPARENCY (NEGATIVE) GEORGE BENSON WEMBLEY ARENA LONDON US $8.03 Buy It Now 11h 3m
Scorpions Crazy World Gig Tour Ticket Wembley Arena 12/01/1991 US $1.59 [0 bids]
ORIGINAL COLOUR PRESS TRANSPARENCY FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD WEMBLEY ARENA 1987 US $8.03 Buy It Now 11h 18m
JAH STITCH - King Of The Arena - 7" US $12.48 Buy It Now 11h 36m
RICK PRICE - ESSENTIAL CD ~ AUSSIE 80's TINA ARENA ~ NOT A DAY GOES BY +++*NEW* US $10.98 Buy It Now 11h 37m
Slip Treble: UB40 : Live London O2 Arena 2009 3 CDs US $32.18 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Slip Double: Ronan Keating : Live 2013 : LG Arena Birmingham 2 CDS US $24.13 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Slip Double: Ronan Keating : Live 2013 : O2 Arena London 2 CDS US $24.13 Buy It Now 11h 46m
ORIGINAL COLOUR PRESS TRANSPARENCY FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD WEMBLEY ARENA 1987 US $8.03 Buy It Now 11h 51m
MARSUPILAMI - ARENA (UK) NEW CD US $31.70 Buy It Now 12h 41m
G. Verdi - Nabucco: Orig. Rec. Arena Di Verona CD US $13.43 Buy It Now 12h 49m
THE MOTHER'S DAY ALBUM CD Denis Walter John Farnham Tina Arena Ernie Sigley US $4.54 Buy It Now 12h 56m
Bon Jovi - New Jersey Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 03/01/1990) US $4.52 [6 bids]
[LP] Bopp-Panajotowa, Bopp,Bach Mozart Flötenkonzert (Arena) {EX} Swiss Rare !!! US $21.04 Buy It Now 13h 24m
CLASSIC ROCK MAGAZINE CD-JEFF HEALEY-OZRIC TENTACLES-ARENA-ALICE COOPER-ALMIGHTY US $4.01 [0 bids]
DEACON BLUE OFFICIAL CONCERT PROGRAMME AND TICKET WEMBLEY ARENA 1989 US $1.59 [0 bids]
7 Vies by Tina Arena (CD, Jan-2008, Columbia (USA)) US $17.99 Buy It Now 13h 51m
Io E Te: Arena Live [Bonus DVD] by Gianna Nannini (CD, Nov-2011, 2 Discs, RCA... US $14.95 Buy It Now 13h 52m
Live at Birmingham LG Arena by UB40 (CD, Jun-2010, Ais) US $22.88 Buy It Now 13h 55m
Live at the London O2 Arena by UB40 (CD, Jun-2010, Ais) US $22.88 Buy It Now 13h 55m
I Muvrini & Les 500 Choristes by I Muvrini/Tina Arena (CD, 2008, Columbia (USA)) US $16.11 Buy It Now 13h 57m
Arena di Verona by Giovanni Allevi (CD, Nov-2010, 2 Discs, Sony Music... US $14.11 Buy It Now 13h 57m
Best & Le Meilleur by Tina Arena (CD, Apr-2009, Columbia (USA)) US $18.24 Buy It Now 13h 57m
Live 2013: The 02 Arena, London 26.01.2013 [Digipak] * by Ronan Keating (CD,... US $23.26 Buy It Now 13h 57m
TINA ARENA 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/6288 US $8.03 Buy It Now 14h 14m
ELTON JOHN : Metro Radio Arena 2012 -BOOKLET FLYER- US $1.61 Buy It Now 14h 17m
Tina Arena "Symphony Of Life" Australian CD Single "Very Rare" US $7.87 Buy It Now 14h 25m
Blink 182 - Wembley Arena 6th February 2004 Concert Ticket Stub US $7.88 [0 bids]
Alice Cooper - Raise Your Fist And Yell Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 07/04/1988) US $1.59 [1 bids]
CHRYSALIS SOUNDS - INTO THE ARENA - VOL 7 US $3.06 Buy It Now 15h 16m
Duran Duran Arena Live LP 1984 EMS-91095 Gatefold Vinyl Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 32m
110 LINKIN PARK ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHS FROM MANCHESTER ARENA SHOW IN 2008 US $17.71 [0 bids]
NEW - Drum & Bass Arena by Andy C. US $19.69 Buy It Now 16h 11m
TINA ARENA - STRONG AS STEEL - NEW CD US $12.27 Buy It Now 16h 15m
Motley Crue Dr Feelgood Ticket (Wembley Arena 1/11/89) + White Lion US $1.59 [1 bids]
TINA ARENA 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/6433 US $8.03 Buy It Now 16h 33m
Rush - Hold Your Fire Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 29/04/1988) US $1.59 [0 bids]
Big Country - The Seer Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 11/12/1986) US $1.59 [1 bids]
MONICA MOLINA-DEL CAL Y ARENA-ORIGINAL USED CD-PERFECT CONDITION! US $7.99 Buy It Now 17h 18m
Led Zeppelin / Long Beach Arena Fragment - Live 1975 ORG *L US $24.99 Buy It Now 17h 24m
Mayday DNA Live World Tour Taipei Arena Taiwan 2-CD+DVD US $108.68 Buy It Now 17h 25m
AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 12/03/1988) US $8.85 [7 bids]
50- TINA ARENA Magazine Clippings US $26.22 Buy It Now 17h 38m
BEATLES-On Stage in Japan Judo Arena-Rock Live Near Mint Vinyl LP US $34.99 [0 bids]
Heart - Bad Animals Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 07/03/1988) US $1.59 [0 bids]
David Lee Roth - Skyscraper Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 15/11/1988) US $1.59 [0 bids]
Gary Moore - After The War Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 12/03/1989) US $1.59 [0 bids]
UPRISING - 19.5.2012 - FANTASY ISLAND, SKEGNESS, UPRISING ARENA - 6 CD PACK US $36.22 Buy It Now 18h 19m
BON JOVI LIVE photos from o2 Arena concert 24/6/2007 US $1.59 [0 bids]
I WANT STANLEY! - Red Wings Arena Song (CD 1996) US $7.99 Buy It Now 18h 46m
JOHNNY CLARKE - KING IN THE ARENA - JAGUAR 7" ~ VG++ US $7.99 [0 bids]
War of the Worlds Tour Flyer 2010 O2 Arena London US $1.59 [0 bids]
BON JOVI LIVE photos from o2 Arena concert 24/6/2007 US $1.59 [0 bids]
BON JOVI LIVE photos from o2 Arena concert 24/6/2007 US $1.61 [0 bids]
TINA ARENA 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/2002 US $8.03 Buy It Now 19h 45m
TINA ARENA 50mm x 50mm PROMO photo press slide negative #C/2202 US $8.03 Buy It Now 19h 46m
Recorded Live Manchester Arena Uk - Tim Minchin New & Sealed Compact Disc Free S US $42.69 Buy It Now 20h 9m
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers Tour Ticket (Wembley Arena 23/03/1992) US $1.59 [0 bids]
CHRYSALIS SOUNDS INTO THE ARENA ex US $13.68 Buy It Now 20h 21m
ABBA - LIVE AT WEMBLEY ARENA - BRAND NEW 2 AUDIO CD SET 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION US $10.40 Buy It Now 20h 25m
Paul Weller: Live at the O2 Arena Flyer US $2.41 [0 bids]
Cheap Trick One On 1 Cassette Tape 1982 Epic CBS PET 38021 AOR Arena Hard Rock US $5.39 Buy It Now 20h 36m
V/A - Drum & Bass Arena (Anthology, Vol. 2) Feat Chase & Status , Pendulum US $14.47 Buy It Now 20h 39m
QUEEN + ADAM LAMBERT SUMMER ARENA TOUR IN DALLAS 2014 2CD DELUXE MINI-LP US $40.23 [0 bids]
QUEEN + ADAM LAMBERT SUMMER ARENA TOUR IN NEW YORK 2014 2CD DELUXE MINI-LP US $40.23 [0 bids]
HUNGARIA Arena LP Pepita 1982 insert US $2.40 [0 bids]
Une Autre Univers - Tina Arena New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $25.78 Buy It Now 21h 8m
Gambler - Teenage Magic SOFT ARENA ROCK SEALED NEW LP US $8.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy ARENA music online Buy ARENA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ARENA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ARENA Live & Life ratings distribution

ARENA Live & Life reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars Best Neo Prog Live Acts

When this box set was displayed at local CD store down here in Jakarta, I was in a big doubt whether to buy it or not. Two reasons: 1. As the title in the box set mentioning that this is The Contagion Tour 2003 and I have got the DVD Caught In The Act that's basically the same tour, I thought that buying this box set would be of waste, especially with US$ 25.7 price tag was quite expensive for me. 2. There is no track list displayed visible to potential buyers that created another doubt, what's inside? But there's an information that it contains 2 live CDs plus bonus DVD that represents 40- minute documentary about the tour. Anyway, I didn't buy it and in fact I don't need to worry as there are 2 sets displayed, I took chance not to buy it. The day after, my prog mate Tatan called me up at my cell phone informing that he saw the box set and willing to purchase it. I checked the set at progarchives.com and see the track list and content. Well, I made decision to ask Tatan to reserve the other set for me. I went back to the store the same day and here I am with the box set!

I only had a chance to play this set at first time using my son's compo system when I arrived at home as when I was in the car I played another prog CD that I bought in that store - CONDITION RED first and second album (hey, this band must be featured here! It's prog to the corner man! Derek Sherinian, Alex Masi are contributing here). OK, for the Arena box set, to my surprise, even though the track list is similar with the Caught In The Act DVD but the live set was shot at different venues - taken from various stages during their Contagion European tour. First, I am amazed with the sonic quality of the live CD. It's so perfect hi-fi-wise and also technically as I don't here any technical glitches as usually I find in live records. Especially, when I played this CD with much more decent stereo set with LOUD volume, I could hear all sounds were produced perfectly, wide dynamic range, with all instruments and vocals can be heard in great details clearly. I don't believe that it's a live record! Second, on performance this live CDs offer much more dynamic and more lively performance of all musicians in the band. Especially, the guitar work by John Mitchell is much more alive and stunning compared to Caught In The Act DVD. Ian Salmon plays his bass wonderfully with some improvisations and inventive notes. WOW!!!!

On Performance

As in the DVD set, the live set begins with an energetic song taken from the Contagion album opener Witch Hunt. The music is delivered by the band lively with more dynamic sound. John Mitchell demonstrates his best skills in delivering high register notes guitar solo throughout the song. I think he is one of the best prog guitarist nowadays. Ian Salmon solid basslines also another place to observe as throughout the song he plays the bass guitar dynamically. Clive Nolan? Who would argue for his killing keyboard fills that characterize the neo-progness of ARENA music? Excellent. Rob Sowden brings his vocal power in his performance. "Exile! You show no mercy .." oh .. what a great lyrical piece and music segment. Mick Pointer plays his drums set wondefully - providing good fills especially during transitions.

The first four-track set is performed continuously and it's something that you should not miss any second of listening to them in its entirety. It's so energetic, so powerful and it has great music flow from Witch Hunt - An Angel Falls - Painted Man - This Way Madness Lies (instrumental). This Way Madness Lies projects an image of true dynamic of the four-track piece. It gives chance to John Mitchell and Ian Salmon demonstrate their work in an attractive way. Stunning!

The band then delivers mellower track Spectre at the Feast with low register notes voice, typical neo prog vein, continued with more uplifting one Skin Game, Salamander. Well, if you are familiar with ARENA you must have known that all tracks listed on CD one is basically coming from Contagion album. It ends up beautifully with Ascension. Disc One is a masterpiece: composition-wise and the band's performance!

Disc Two contains materials from the band's classic tracks of previous albums: The Visitor, Immortal?, Songs from The Lions Cage and Pride. It starts beautifully with Floydian guitar work by John Mitchell with Serenity (The Visitor album). He performs his guitar playing wonderfully: soft touch and great melodies. It continues with my favorite track from Immortal? album Chosen where, again, John Mitchell demonstrates his killing melodies during guitar solo interlude. I have to tell you that I'd rather listen to this live version than the original studio version. It's so LIVEly! Clive Nolan's keyboard solo is much more better here. Bravo Arena!!! Your musicianship represent maturity! "Freedom of speech but you have no voice. Freedom of spirit but we have no choice!". It flows seamlessly to Double Vision with an uplifting mode.

The Hanging Tree is another great track from The Visitor album performed excellently. Another favorite of mine (Don't Forget To) Breathe is also performed wonderfully. It starts beautifully with a musical loop and some soft riffs and powerful vocal line. I like the guitar part after fist lyrical verse. It's rocking man!!! Yeah .!! Arena rulez ..!!! This is the kind of music that's truly memorable. Oh my God . I cannot bear it anymore, it's so stunning! The other follow-up tracks are also excellently performed: The Butterfly Man and Enemy Without (I like the guitar solo at the end of the track). Well, it seems like it's the end of the performance. But, the band adds some other three tracks as its encore: Solomon (13:47), Jericho (6:42), and Crying For Help VII (3:52). Even though Rob was not the original singer of Solomon but he performs wonderfully here. For those who are familiar with early albums of Arena would agree with me on this. It's a great encore!

On DVD Documentary

Disc Three is basically a 40-minute DVD documentary of LIFE ON TOUR. It has only single menu offered here: PLAY. And you can see all various activities of the performance from preparation, execution (the show) and after the show interviews. As with any DVD offer, I always enjoy this documentary. Hey, I live in "rest of the world" country where live performance from prog bands from the west is just a dream that's hard to materialize. So, I always enjoy the live footage: all stage preparation, instrument setups, rehearsals, fans interview about the show, the Y-NOT Volvo truck and the comments of the tour bus driver, lighting technician, video technician, tour manager - all are good views for me. I imagine if they play down here in Jakarta, I will participate of course . But again, for people who live in rest of the world countries and love Arena will find this documentary worth seeing. BTW, throughout the film there are some spots of the live acts by the band in various places.

Summary

I have no single regret at all buying this box set of limited edition (only 10,000 copies printed). Performance wise it's a masterpiece. Selection of tracks is also excellent. Sonic quality is beyond expectation as usually live records have not so good audio quality. This one has excellent dynamic range and you must play it LOUD. Of BTW, the audience handclapping and shouting have also made this set lively. Don't miss this box set. On overall rating, I'm already biased now as I cannot afford to put anything less than full five stars rating. I will not back-off from the view of giving five star and ready to take the blame of biasness. What can I do my friend? It's a terrific set! Keep on proggin' .!

Progressively yours,

GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#33213) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars Arena is a very good live band. They have regularly produced great live recordings and this one is definitely on par with all the previous ones.

This live one is of course pretty much centered on their last studio release "Contagion". It was a very good album, and no less than twelve numbers (out of sixteen) are taken from it. It represents the whole of the first CD. This is only justice to one of their best albums. But Arena has never produced a weak one - IMHHO (in my humble and honest opinion).

Second CD is a great kaleidoscope of their career although I believe that the setlist from the "Immortal" numbers could have been more original. If you except "Breathe", each number played here were present on their previous live album bizarrely called "In Biarritz" (while being recorded in Amsterdam). Actually this live album was recorded in Poland. I would have anticipated that Arena would have chosen The Netherlands to do so since they are extremely popular in this country (as well as in Germany).

Of course the prog interest in Poland (but probably the rock interest in general) is enourmous for this big country (over than forty millions inhabitants) which has been for so long ignored (for the reasons we all know) from the rock concerts. I really believe that their people just deserve to get as much as rock music as possible. And the country has delivered really great prog bands as well.

Two of the three encores do belong to the best Arena's repertoire. "Solomon" and "Jericho" are great rock anthems. It will always be a pleasure to listen to those ones. The last time they were included on a live record was in 1997 for "Welcome To The Stage" (another great live album, BTW).

This double CD set will end with "Crying For Help VII" which is the traditional end of an Arena concert.

I really recommend this live album. It gives a perfect idea of their studio ones. It is also a cheaper way to get into Arena's repertoire. If you get hold of their three live albums so far, you'll get the essence of their whole studio recordings and save some substantial ? or $ or £.

An even better investment is to get hold of their DVD "Caught In The Act". It holds the same tracklist + some bonuses for even cheaper (on the marketplace of a well known on-line reseller). Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#125944) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 15, 2007

5 stars Live & Life is one of my all time favourite live albums. every song on the double CD is presented with skill and passion, and received by an appreciative crowd, giving the whole thing an excellent feel. The tracks have been amply covered in Gatot's review so I won't repeat the list, but will p ... (read more)

Report this review (#100187) | Posted by laghtnans | Friday, November 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ARENA "Live & Life "