IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY...TODAY

Proto-Prog

It's A Beautiful Day It's a Beautiful Day...Today album cover

Buy IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY Music
Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Ain't That Lovin' You Baby (3:54)
2. Child (4:20)
3. Down on the Bayou (3:16)
4. Watching You, Watching Me (3:13)
5. Mississippi Delta (4:07)
6. Ridin' Thumb (3:34)

- Greg Bloch / violin, mandolin
- Val Fuentes / drums, vocals

Guest:
- Don Waldrop / tuba(3)

LP CBS KC-32181 US (1973)

and to ClemofNazareth for the last updates

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY It's a Beautiful Day...Today Music

It's A Beautiful Day ... TodayIt's A Beautiful Day ... Today
Columbia
Vinyl$5.00 (used)
it's a beautiful day...today LPit's a beautiful day...today LP
CBS
Vinyl$16.88 (used)
UK Print CBS Stereo Records It's a Beautiful Day Today 65483 33 Vinyl USD $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
It's a Beautiful Day ...Today 1973 LP Psychedelic Rock USD $7.50 [0 bids]
USD $12.50 Buy It Now
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY--Today--SS LP USD $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY - ...Today LP (1st US Issue on COLUMBIA w/Gatefold Cover) USD $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
? It's a Beautiful Day - ...Today (Columbia 32181) (Pattie Santos, Bud Cockrell) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY: It's A Beautiful Day...today LP (Netherlands, 70's reissu USD $18.00 Buy It Now 4 days
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY Today '73 LP psych/prog ORIG IMPORT ORANGE label MINT- USD $34.99 Buy It Now 4 days
It's a Beautiful Day TODAY vinyl LP 1973 USD $9.95 Buy It Now 6 days
It's A Beautiful Day Today vinyl LP 1973 Columbia Records VG+ USD $9.95 Buy It Now 6 days
It's a Beautiful Day. Today 1973 Columbia 1st Ed. LP USD $11.99 Buy It Now 6 days
MOBY GRAPE "Ooh Mama Ooh"/"It's a Beautiful Day Today" Columbia (PROMO) PSYCH USD $11.99 Buy It Now 8 days
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY: It's A Beautiful Day...today LP (gatefold cover, w/ compa USD $20.00 Buy It Now 12 days
It's A Beautiful Day Today (Gatefold) {KC-32181} USD $7.00 Buy It Now 12 days
47 IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY, TODAY Album Poster Size Advert 15x10 (COLUMBIA Records) USD $18.87 Buy It Now 13 days
It's a Beautiful Day.... Today 8 Track Tape TESTED USD $20.00 Buy It Now 17 days
San Francisco Sound LP It's A Beautiful Day...Today USD $19.99 Buy It Now 19 days
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY...Today CBS Original UK Psych LP A1/B1 USD $19.95 Buy It Now 20 days
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY Today 1973 SAN FRAN PSYCH CLASSIC ROCK USD $18.00 Buy It Now 20 days
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY TODAY PROMO VG+ TO VG++ HEAR IT USD $11.00 Buy It Now 21 days
MOBY GRAPE 69 CD INCLUDING OOH MAMA OOH IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY TODAY TRUCKING MAN USD $32.00 Buy It Now 22 days
Coven"One Tin Soldier/I Guess It's A Beautiful Day Today "/45/ USD $4.95 Buy It Now 27 days
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY .. today LP COLUMBIA USD $21.00 Buy It Now 28 days

More places to buy IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY music online Buy IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY It's a Beautiful Day...Today ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(0%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(21%)

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY It's a Beautiful Day...Today reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars I picked this up at a genuine throwback dusty old used record store in a sleepy little college town in upstate New York while on business trip a while back. I have to say I enjoyed the hour or so I spent flipping through the stacks more than I did this album and I was very happy to have to lug a big brown-paper package full of vinyl on the plane home, even if some of the discs turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. There aren’t many used record stores left anymore, and none worth talking about within driving distance of my home, so the experience was both nostalgic and rewarding.

As far as I know this is the only It’s a Beautiful Day album that’s never been reissued on CD. Not surprising since it’s also the only one without band founder and violinist David LaFlamme. I don’t know the whole story but I believe there were legal issues with the band’s manager Matthew Katz, who at the time held the copyright to the band name. LaFlamme was replaced on the album by Greg Bloch, who also contributes a bit of mandolin here and there. Bloch does a pretty good job, particularly on the wispy solo that bridges “”Watching You, Watching Me” and “Mississippi Delta”, but I kind of prefer LaFlamme’s unique violin and tuning.

The feel of this album is quite different than IABD’s more well-known first two albums. The band was born in the San Francisco during the Haight-Ashbury days, and their early music carries that West Coast sound and free-flowing hippy vibe. This record has a decidedly southern blues base, and Fredd Webb and Bud Cockrell’s vocals lean closer to .38 Special than Quicksilver Messenger Service and the like. Tracks like “Down on the Bayou” and “Mississippi Delta” make clear the changing direction of the band. That said I like the guitar work and easy gait of the latter, although it’s clear the group should have chosen a different band name for this record.

Considering the band’s signature sound had always been Linda LaFlamme’s voice and her former husband’s strings, the heavy use of male vocals here is another detractor for a record issued under the name It’s a Beautiful Day. Webb’s piano (especially on side 2 of the record) is quite good but also unexpected for this band.

There aren’t any standout tracks, although none are really bad either. Patti Santos puts some emotion and color into the laconic “Child”, and drummer Val Fuentes comes pretty close to recapturing the late sixties San Francisco sound with his vocals fronting the Webb- penned “Time”. And the closing “Creator” is pure hippy-based stuff as well, with Bloch offering up another decent extended violin performance. The rest is a mixed bag and, like I said, mostly blues-based fare.

I’m tempted to say this is a collectors-only piece, but after having spun it several times over the past few months I have to say several of the songs have grown on me, which is more than can be said of its reception by fans when it was first released. I’m going with three stars instead, with the disclaimer that folks looking for anything akin to “White Bird” should adjust their expectations before playing this one. A decent record, and one that might have done better at the time had the group not tried to pass it off as a genuine It’s a Beautiful Day studio work.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#271714) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 13, 2010

4 stars I agree with the 1st reviewer...This is a great IABD album...he just forgot one thing...Billy's guitar...Patty & Bud's vocals wouldn't have had the same effect without Billy's Les Paul cranked up sound ("Grand Camel Suite" on the live album is one of his contributions). It is definitely a di ... (read more)

Report this review (#46658) | Posted by | Thursday, September 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Next to the live at carnagie hall and the 1st album this is my favorite. Pattie Santos was finally given the chance to shine on this album. Dont get me wrong she and David laflamme sang beautiful together, but her vocals always seemed hidden on the other projects. On this album the band showed ... (read more)

Report this review (#33241) | Posted by | Friday, April 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY "It's a Beautiful Day...Today"