VERSIONS OF THE TRUTH

The Pineapple Thief Versions of the Truth album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy THE PINEAPPLE THIEF Music
Studio Album, released in 2020

1. Versions of the Truth (5:39)
2. Break it All (4:23)
3. Demons (4:31)
4. Driving Like Maniacs (3:29)
5. Leave Me Be (4:11)
6. Too Many Voices (3:14)
7. Our Mire (7:22)
8. Out of Line (4:00)
9. Stop Making Sense (3:21)
10. The Game (4:46)

- Bruce Soord / guitars, vocals, composer
- Steve Kitch / keyboards
- Jon Sykes / bass
- Gavin Harrison / drums

Label: KScope
Format: Vinyl, CD, Blu-ray, Digital (Pre Order on Burning Shed, Many Bundles)
September 4, 2020

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

Buy THE PINEAPPLE THIEF Versions of the Truth Music

More places to buy THE PINEAPPLE THIEF music online

THE PINEAPPLE THIEF Versions of the Truth ratings distribution

THE PINEAPPLE THIEF Versions of the Truth reviews

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Reviewer
3 stars Back in 1993 I became aware of a band called Vulgar Unicorn, and after reviewing their demo tapes was pleased when they signed a deal and went on to release CDs. Then guitarist Bruce Soord started a side project called Pineapple Thief (no "The" in the early days) and released 'Abducting The Unicorn' (get it?) in 1999. Back then it was basically Bruce, and I don't think any of us imagined that not only would The Pineapple Thief still be going all these years later but that they would be releasing albums through a major label such as Kscope. It is the same line-up as the last few albums, so joining Bruce (guitar, vocals) is Steve Kitch (keyboards), Jon Sykes (bass) and Gavin Harrison (drums).

I have not heard any of their albums since 2012's 'All The Wars', which has the same line-up apart from Gavin, and I really enjoyed that one so what would this one be like? I think the only way to describe this is that it is pleasant in a non-threatening and non-compelling manner. Everything is, well, nice. Everyone is playing well, but there is little in the way of emotion and in many ways, and when at the end of "Demons" Bruce sings "it was only supposed to be a short- term thing" I wonder if he is really singing about the band itself. When one thinks of the lyrics in that way, then quite a few of the numbers taken on a different light, such as "Driving Like Maniacs". It feels prog lite; this is never going to upset anyone but at the same time it is not going to drive much excitement either. Given my history with the early days of the band I was really excited about the opportunity of hearing this, but I came away relatively unimpressed. As I said, it is nice and gentle, but I need more than that.

Review by The Crow
3 stars After the masterpiece that was Dissolution, Pinneaple Thief returned with Versions of the Truth!

However, the British are not able to replicate the quality of their two previous works, mainly due to the abuse of slow songs that end up offering an irregular and sometimes even boring experience.

In spite of everything, if you like the stage of the band with Gavin Harrison, you will enjoy some songs that remind us of the best moments of Dissolution, with whose discarded songs this Versions of the Truth surely was woven together.

Best Tracks: Versions of the Trugh, Break It All, Demons, Leve Me Be and Our Mire... The rest are dull mid- tempos.

My Rating: ***

4 stars Ah, The Pineapple Thief. I'm still trying to work out whether the "most underrated band in the world" moniker, inherited from their slightly more accomplished and much more defunct cousin Porcupine Tree, is meant to celebrate hidden genius or the fact that anybody who might dispute it doesn't seem t ... (read more)

Report this review (#2538467) | Posted by arriving | Wednesday, April 28, 2021 | Review Permanlink

1 stars The Pineapple Thief album Versions of the Truth represents a further departure from any progressive sound and continues to deliver lifeless pop/rock songs with the influence of alternative rock sound. The band took a safe path and more direct approach on this album and trough out is lacking d ... (read more)

Report this review (#2487155) | Posted by prog_traveller!! | Wednesday, December 23, 2020 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Lovely paranoia and subtle last-minute pain. "Versions of the Truth" is one of the most anticipated releases of this very interesting year. Still not in the top, but unlike 2018, they remembered the atmosphere and complexity. In fact, to clarify the situation with the new The Pineapple Thief ... (read more)

Report this review (#2476884) | Posted by Devolvator | Tuesday, November 17, 2020 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I have been following The Pineapple Thief since their 2012 album, All the Wars ' a stunning combination of alt-rock accessibility and progressive sensibilities (think Porcupine Tree meets Smashing Pumpkins). I bought and liked all their subsequent albums (Magnolia, Your Wilderness, Dissolution), whe ... (read more)

Report this review (#2448008) | Posted by lukretio | Tuesday, September 15, 2020 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Versions of the Truth brings Pineapple Thief back in a more intimate package, giving us 10 lovely shorter and softer tracks. As a fan of their MAGNOLIA work, I think it was a nice change since the band works really well writing shorter and more catchier pieces. This might not be really a progressive ... (read more)

Report this review (#2445376) | Posted by Deadwing | Monday, September 7, 2020 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE PINEAPPLE THIEF "Versions of the Truth"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.