THE LAST ENCORE

Kayak The Last Encore  album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy KAYAK Music
Studio Album, released in 1976

1. Back to the front (4:31)
2. Nothingness (3:57)
3. Love of a victim (2:50)
4. Land on the water (2:27)
5. The last encore (3:59)
6. Do you care (2:49)
7. Still my heart cries for you (4:32)
8. Relics from a distant age (4:54)
9. Love me tonight / Get on board (2:40)
10. Evocation (3:50)
11. Raid your own house (3:35)
12. Well done (0:52)

Search KAYAK The Last Encore lyrics

Search KAYAK The Last Encore tabs

- Pim Koopman / drums, percussion, piano, backing vocals
- Ton Scherpenzeel / keyboards, mellotron, accordion, double bass, backing vocals
- Johan Slager / guitars, backing vocals
- Bert Veldkamp / bass, double bass, saxophone, zither, backing vocals
- Max Werneer / lead & backing vocals, percussion, mellotrons,

KAYAK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYAK The Last Encore Music

Last EncoreLast Encore
Universal Int'l 2002
Periscope Life / Last EncorePeriscope Life / Last Encore
Universal Nl 2012
The Last Encore - Holland LPThe Last Encore - Holland LP
Vertigo
Vinyl$10.00 (used)

More places to buy KAYAK music online Buy KAYAK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KAYAK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KAYAK The Last Encore ratings distribution

KAYAK The Last Encore reviews

Review by Gatot
3 stars It's not as excellent as other Kayak albums, but this album is worth collecting. For me personally, there was time when I found it very difficult to get this CD (especially in my country). When I got it couple years ago... uugghh ... I feel relieved ...at last I got this rare album (in CD format). Some tracks do not really stand out in terms of composition and/or melody. For example "Love of a Victim" - it is probably too simple and more poppy even though it still has the soul of Kayak unique music. Boring tracsk are "Love me tonight / Get on Board", "Do you care".

Some best cuts of this album are: "Back to the Front" - classic Kayak tune with good composition, melodious, presented in pop progressive style. The piano sound is simple but enjoyable. "Nothingness" - great piano and melodic vocal harmony with classical music influence. The melody touches my heart, really! The ambient vocal harmony augmented with piano in the middle of the track is really excellent. One of my favorite Kayak's tunes. "Still My heart cries for you" - melodic. "Relics from a distant age" - great piano work and melodic; classical influence. "The Last Encore" - melodic prog pop rock with classical touch.

It's not full 4 star and I think 3.5 / 5 is a fair rating. For Kayak fans, this album is an excellent collection because it demonstrates unique Kayak sound! GW, Indonesia.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#4149) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars "Then after the last encore, we'll play on forever more"

Contrary to what the title might suggest, this was by no means Kayak's final release. "The last encore" was in fact the band's 1976 follow up to the highly revered "Royal bed bouncer".

It has taken me a long time, and at least four albums to pinpoint the similarity which I hear in Max Werneer's vocals. Finally, I have realised that he reminds me a lot of Chris Squire (of Yes), in his tone, phrasing, and slight lisp. The vocals on this album are in fact one of its high points. Right from the spirited opener "Back to front", there is an underlying strength to the harmonies and vocal effects. This is particularly evident on the Beach Boys like vocalising on the beautiful "Nothingness", the track also having some highly effective orchestration. "Love of a victim" retains the Yes similarities, sounding very like an outtake from the "Drama" album.

Ton Scherpenzeel's piano playing is once again the basis for many of the tracks, coming to the fore superbly on pieces such as the excellent title song. Johan Slager adds some fine guitar here too, although his solo could have been more dynamic.

While the compositions are generally strong, the album leans towards the pop orientation of subsequent albums such as "Starlight dancer" and "Phantom of the night". The orchestration is certainly used effectively to add further dimensions, but the tracks are brief (2-5 minutes), often falling short of being fully realised. "Land on the water" for example has some fine guitar and keyboards, but at only 2:27, it lacks substance. There are some definite prog, or at least prog related moments, such as the Alan Parsons Project like "Still my heart cries for you". Conversely, the wartime like music of "Love me tonight/get on board" is ill advised, and a needless diversion.

I hesitate to appear over critical though, as this is a highly enjoyable album, full of strong melodies and competent performances. Any frustration I have is entirely down to the fact that the band has a tendency to play well within their capabilities, and do not exploit to the full their enormous potential.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#127889) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 08, 2007

Review by friso
5 stars Kayak - The Last Encore (1976). MASTERPIECE

About a year ago I wrote a very long review for this record, but due to a mistake of my browser only a rating was sent to PA. I want to rewrite a review now, because terrible injustice is done with the low rating for this masterpiece.

Kayak was one of the first progressive artist I listened to. On the fair of Queensday (Dutch feast around the birthday of the Queen mother) I bought my first vinyl record of Kayak, The Last Encore. It was among my first ten records. My only reference was at the time Metallica and Iron Maiden and maybe Contagion of Arena. Though at first I though this record was very strange (compared to the heavy metal I used to listen), I quite liked the melodies and the songs. Even the strange high pitch voice of Max Werned did something with me. From this point a started to look for all the early work of Kayak. Their first for albums can be seen as pure symphonic prog. NO crossover to be found here.

Now about the record itself. You might not want to waste your time on buying the cd, for it sounds like crap. I might never have like this if I had only had the cd version of this. You will need the vinyl version in order to enjoy this. Kayak has a sort of artistic sound on this album. Every song is quite complicated and now it sometimes reminds me of Italian symphonic progbands like early PFM. It just doesn't sound very English. You can hear a lot different instrument on the album including the Mellotron, accordion, guitars, drums, bass, saxophone, horns and all sorts of keyinstrument including a grand piano.

The tracks, one by one for this special review.

Back to the Front is a very abrupt start for a symphonic progrecord, within seconds you are in the middle of a song. The recognisable Scherpenzeel piano sound and the tension building rhythm make this a great starting song. The lyrics are touching. The main theme of the song is dark but light begins to shine on the bridge where the vocals and the piano parts are hopefull. The perfect vocal harmonies during the 'It's only love.." part complete the song and make it a perfect opening track. 9/10

Nothingness. A great symphonic piano ballad with a abnormal high masterpiecerate! After the great voice of Max Werner and the short silence starts one of the most beatifull vocal harmonies I ever heard. Spooky, warm.. It's hard to discribe. After this we get a Piano/mellotron theme in wich Kayak shows it's perfect symphonic capabilities. GREAT! 10/10

Love of A Victim. An uptempo rocker with great guitar riffs. The rhythms of the guitar during these solo's are very original, it gives the song a confronting edge. The keyboard parts on the bridge sound original, I've never heard such a keyboard sound. 8/10

Land on the Water was born as some hitpotential was needed for a Dutch band in other to survive. The song is gentle and short. The vocals of Max Werner still make it deserve a 7/10

The Last Encore is another ballad of grand stature. The main theme is very emotional, the lyrics theatric. I don't have words to discribe the beauty of this piecefull song. 10/10

Do You Care is a song that falls in between the masterpieces. It's a great symphonic tune with some nice moogs in the melody. Again touchy. 8/10

Still my Heart Cries for you. We've had some great songs, but the best is still to come. Opening with a melodic, vulnerable theme this is the epic of this album. After the short vocal parts the symphonic adventure starts. Kayak seems to have a lot of energy here. Especially the "The image of you shall always stay with me" part is one of the greatest Kayak achievements. Great symphonic rock. The end is as beautiful as the beginning. 10/10

Relics from a distant Age. Another masterpiece! The track starts with a 2 minute piano solo with classical influences. After the opening part one of the most magical songs ever recorded arises. This is so atmospheric. Intelligent composition skills are applied with the so called church keys. Again perfect vocals of mister Werner. 11/10!

Love me Tonight/Get on Board is a kind of joke. It has a '40 atmosphere of glamorous love-affairs. So have blamed this to ruin the atmospheres of the album. I just think it's a funny track. 6/10

Evocation. From here The Last Encore becomes very dark and a bit abstract. There is tension and the atmospheres are a bit unclear. For me this sounds really magical and it touches me. I find this song artistic. The special pianopart in the middle of the song is one of the highlights of this album. 9/10

Raid Your Own House. Another dark song. The lyrics are like a story being told, a sort of dialogue from a one person's perspective. 8/10

Well Done. Like the second and third record of Kayak there is a very short concentrated ending song. Didn't they have the time to make it a full song? However this a greatly inspired piece of music about someone who thanks his mother for what she has done for him. The fact that the song is short and the massages is concentrated make this a masterpiece. 9/10.

Conclusion. A complete record with a lot of different songs, going from symphonic to classical, from rock to dark moody progressive. The vocals are an acquired taste, but you might just start to like it intensely. One of my favourite records of all time! Five Stars!

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#146743) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This Dutch band is quite confidential on PA (only four reviews so far for their fourth album). In those days, they were quite successful in their home country with their pop-oriented prog music.

They have a lot to share with ''Supertramp'' IMO. The music is not aggressive at all, it flows nicely from one song to another. As for their earlier releases (''Kayak II'' and ''RBB''), the music is pretty much accessible but not boring at all.

Vocal harmonies combined with nice keyboards parts are so enjoyable! There is a lot of feeling in those elements which are highly dominant in the beautiful ''Nothingness''. Lots of progheads who like the eclectic genre will of course consider this type of music with a lesser appreciation, but I'm in this sort of mood tonight: to listen to such easy listening music and enjoy it.

''Love of a Victim'' is a punchy rocking song which is quite fun and different from the other songs available on this ''Last Encore''. Not all songs are so pleasant though; the mellow ''Land on the Water'' is a bit too much at this point. Some sort of complaint which isn't memorable.

The title track is again a pleasant rock ballad whose highlights are some good piano work and an emotional guitar part. The quality of this album might also well be its weakness in the sense that you could play it when receiving friends and there are little chances that anybody will be annoyed with the experience, but at the same time few of them will remind it as a great souvenir.

Most of the songs are on the short side, but ''Kayak'' has never been recognized for his long and complex epics, right? So, this simple music has to be listened as it is and no search for intricate stuff is needed.

You just have to relax, sit back, have a nice drink and enjoy these fine pop-prog melodies. ''Still My Heart Cries for You'' is another fine moment: between the ballad and some rocking experience. Amazingly enough, the piano intro of ''Relics from a Distant Age'' show some flamenco influences and this is rather rare to be noticed. This is another highlight from this record (as well as the longest track featured): a moving song indeed featuring such delicate vocals and beautiful piano play (again).

Some flow in the last section of this album like: ''Love Me Tonight'' could have been avoided (it has certain links with ''10CC'' but it doesn't hold the comparison with the sophisticated arrangements of these genious).

IMO, their best work was their debut which showed a more prog angle. But so far, ''Kayak'' didn't release any weak album and this one is in line. A good album. Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#221980) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 20, 2009

Review by kenethlevine
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog-Folk Team
2 stars By the mid 70s KAYAK was Holland's answer to the intellectual but oh so smarmy art pop of 10CC, CITY BOY, and SUPERTRAMP, although they appeared to be forging a parallel course rather than using those bands as a blueprint. Their admittedly short and generally vocal oriented tracks do qualify as progressive in their quirky structures and shifts, but their attitude is the antithesis of prog as they try to outsmart and distance themselves from their audience with a humorless parodical take on the genre.

Nonetheless, in some cases strong melodies do shine through and salvage this release from life imprisonment. The ambient "Nothingness", the maudlin "Land on the Water" and the cosmic "Relics from a Distant Age" all distinguish themselves while exposing the wasted talent elsewhere. For each of these are a couple of vapid duds like "Back to the Front", "Love of a Victim", "Do You Care", "Still My Heart Cries for You", "love me Tonight/Get on Board".

KAYAK combined some of the worst aspects of pop and prog: the ephemerality of the former and the impenetrability of the latter. Even the cheesily rousing anthems of STYX and QUEEN, and the late 70s/early 80s concessions of YES, GENESIS, and CAMEL seem more authentic than the Kayak of 1976. Nonetheless, they did garner a sufficient audience to ensure that "Last Encore" would not live up to its name. Slightly under 2 stars.

Send comments to kenethlevine (BETA) | Report this review (#257781) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 25, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Kayak , this great dutch progressive rock band from the '70's manage to take my attention for the first time 11 years ago. "Till then I manage to collect only two of their albums, this one and Periscope life from 1980. So, the music Kayak offers, at least on this album a mixed bag, here we have that mainstream prog , (but good) a la Styx, some Supertamp polished prog, some keybords who remind me of Genesis, some aswell Queen in places, specialy on orchestration and choruses. So, a soup of everything was prog in that days, the band gatherd all around in one single unit - Kayak. The voice is ok, in some parts even great, specialy on mellower parts like on title track The last encore Max Werneer voice is ok, good in this kind of music, but to my taste is a little without varation of the tone here and there, to linear , but good. Some great keys passages, who remind me of Genesis , just listen to the intro of Relics from a distant age, great piece with excellent playing, Nothingness is another good ex of Kayak in that period, in the middle of the piece I swear I was listening to some Queen from that period, same chorus like the british musicians. So , a pleasent album, a little lighter then previous works but still good, 3 stars is the best I can give.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#284154) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 30, 2010

4 stars The Last Encore is the last record with Max Werner on vocals and marks the end of the symphinic progressive period of Kayak. After this record Kayak moved more into the cross-over prog scene hoping to achieve some more commercial succes. The last Encore seems less influenced by other bands lik ... (read more)

Report this review (#636604) | Posted by the philosopher | Monday, February 20, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Of all the wonderful Kayak albums to pick from, I gravitate to The Last Encore most of the time. I'd say it's easily the most melodic of the bunch - and Kayak has always been one VERY melodic band. The album is also the most rich with vocal choruses, if that's one of your joneses (it's one of mine ... (read more)

Report this review (#202417) | Posted by Steven in Atlanta | Wednesday, February 11, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars To me, this is the very best Kayak album of all. The songwriting of Ton Scherpenzeel and Pim Koopman is very well-balanced on this record. The melodies, atmosphere and songwriting on this record are amazing. Only two songs are not that great: Love Me Tonight/Get On Board [wich is a joke] and Rai ... (read more)

Report this review (#4152) | Posted by Robin | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYAK "The Last Encore "