CAUGHT IN THE ACT (DVD)

19. Enemy Without
20. Solomon
21. Jericho
22. Crying For Help VII

Extras: fully animated menu / Arena's biography and individual member's profiles / interview with Mick Pointer and Clive Nolan / discography / photo gallery / art gallery / desktop images / weblinks / Dolby digital 5.1 surround sound

Search ARENA Caught In The Act (DVD) lyrics

Search ARENA Caught In The Act (DVD) tabs

- Rob Sowden / vocals
- John Mitchell / guitars, backing vocals
- Clive Nolan / keyboards, backing vocals
- Ian Salmon / bass
- Mick Pointer / drums

Metal Mind Productions Cat. #MMP DVD 0012

and to SouthSideoftheSky for the last updates

ARENA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ARENA Caught In The Act (DVD) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
PridePride
Inside Out Germany 2004
Aida: Arena Di Verona (Oren) - Blu-ray Disc (Blu-ray) Region B Brand New Free Sh US $34.88 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Kissology Bonus DVD Cobo Arena Detroit MI 1/25/1976 NTSC Format Region Free RARE US $26.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Russell Peters - Green Card Tour Live From O2 Arena DVD - New & Sealed! Region 4 US $27.27 Buy It Now 2h 19m
NA ARENA AO VIVO (DVD + CD) ~ EDSON & HUDSON DVD US $33.10 Buy It Now 2h 49m
B4?)2DVD JAPAN LIMITED SHINEE JAPAN ARENA TOUR SHINEE WORLD 201 BOYS MEET U US $55.00 [0 bids]
5?)3DVD JAPAN LIMITED ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2005 MY STORY US $20.00 [0 bids]
Classic Memphis Wrestling 70s Arena Footage DVD, USWA US $15.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
PRIDE Fighting Championships - Vol. 6: From the Yokohama Arena (DVD, 2001) US $8.94 Buy It Now 8h 58m
TURANDOT [DVD] [ARENA DI VERONA] - NEW DVD US $15.61 Buy It Now 9h 8m
ECW Best of the Arena DVD-R Set, Extreme Championship Wrestling WWE Philadelphia US $32.99 Buy It Now 9h 8m
WU TANG COLLECTION 3 Martial Arts VHS Tapes Arena Home Video 1998 SEALED US $49.95 Buy It Now 9h 22m
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena - The Complete Collection (DVD, 2-Disc Set) New US $15.99 [0 bids]
Ring of Honor - Arena Warfare DVD Milestone Series ROH TNA WWE Daniel Bryan US $9.99 [0 bids]
Arena Rare Cult Sci Fi Action VHS 1989 Paul Satterfield Man Vs. Monster OOP HTF US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 32m
Battle Arena Toshinden (Anime DVD, 2003) - Rare, Out Print US $16.97 Buy It Now 11h 58m
SPARTACUS: GODS OF THE ARENA (UNCUT) (2010) NEW BLU-RAY US $42.95 Buy It Now 12h 48m
RUSSELL PETERS: GREEN CARD TOUR LIVE FROM O2 ARENA NEW DVD US $26.59 Buy It Now 12h 55m
SPARTACUS GODS OF THE ARENA BLU RAY NEW & SEALED REGION A $60 VALUE! US $20.99 [0 bids]
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (DVD, 2011, 2-Disc Set) New US $15.99 [0 bids]
THE ARENA - DVD, PAM GRIER, ROGER CORMAN, QUENTIN TARANTINO, SAMUEL L JACKSON US $10.82 Buy It Now 16h
Breaking DVD!New Japan Pro Wrestling 2014 BACK TO THE YOKOHAMA ARENA 5.25,New! US $70.36 Buy It Now 18h 23m
New INFINITE 1ST ARENA TOUR IN JAPAN Limited Edition 3DVD Photo Booklet Card F/S US $70.00 Buy It Now 20h 28m
New CNBLUE 2nd Album Release Live 392 @ YOKOHAMA ARENA DVD Japan Free Shipping US $60.00 Buy It Now 20h 28m
SPARTACUS: GODS OF THE ARENA New DVD R4 - TV Series US $35.13 Buy It Now 20h 49m
DVD Ennio Morricone - Arena Concerto Sealed ! New ! US $6.11 Buy It Now 21h 30m
NEW CNBLUE ARENA TOUR 2013-ONE MORE TIME-@ NIPPONGAISHI HALL Japan Blu-ray F/S US $71.00 Buy It Now 22h 16m
NEW CNBLUE ARENA TOUR 2013-ONE MORE TIME-@ NIPPONGAISHI HALL Japan DVD F/S US $69.00 Buy It Now 22h 16m
Wu Tang Temple (1986), VHS/EP, Arena Home Video 1997 US $3.00 [0 bids]
New flumpool Special Live 2013 experience at YOKOHAMA ARENA Blu-ray from Japan US $80.00 Buy It Now 1 day
New ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2012 A HOTEL Love songs Blu-ray Japan AVXD-91659 US $85.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Russell Peters - Green Card Tour Live From O2 Arena (DVD, 2011) region 4 US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Ring of Honor - Arena Warfare - Philadelphia, PA - 3.11.06 US $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
B2??15)JAPAN PRESS DVD hamasaki ayumi ARENA TOUR 2005&2006 US $35.00 [0 bids]
2?)DVD JAPAN PRESS INFINITE 1ST ARENA TOUR IN JAPAN SECOND INVASION EVOLUTION US $60.00 [0 bids]
Arena: Rapture - Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) Region 2 Brand New Free Shipping US $22.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Champion Road: Arena (DVD, 2012) US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Arena Smoke And Mirrors DVD US $19.14 Buy It Now 1 day
Battle Arena Toshinden (DVD, 2003) VGC US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena - The Complete Collection (Blu-ray Disc, 2011,... US $7.99 [0 bids]
GUNS N' ROSES - LIVE IN O2 ARENA LONDON BLU-RAY US $17.39 [2 bids]
BATTLE ARENA TOSHINDEN US $4.42 Buy It Now 1 day
Arena Tonight Championship Grudge Match Man Vs. Monster VHS 1991 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Arena VHS SIGNED by Screenwriter Danny Bilson US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Otsuka Ai Love Letter Tour 09 Yokohama Arena 2DVD J-POP US $15.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SHINee THE FIRST JAPAN ARENA TOUR SHINee WORLD 2012 DVD FIRST LIMITED SPECIAL US $149.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Highlights from Arena di Verona DVD US $10.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena - The Complete Collection (DVD, 2011, 2-Disc Set) US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Duran Duran - Arena VHS NTSC 1985 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Battle Arena Toshinden - Uncut DVD Out of Print & Very Rare - Official Release US $38.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Halford: Live at Saitama Super Arena Blu-ray US $12.39 Buy It Now 1 day
ARENA - CAUGHT IN THE ACT - NEW DVD US $10.83 Buy It Now 1 day
Halford: Live at Saitama Super Arena (Blu-ray Disc, 2011) US $12.43 Buy It Now 1 day
ARENA Man vs. Monster VHS Movie US $3.99 [0 bids]
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena - The Complete Collection New (DVD, 2-Disc Set) US $15.99 [0 bids]
used VHS WORLD COMBAT CHAMPIONSHIP 1995 martial arts master arena fights Kung Fu US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Arena * VHS * Pam Grier, Margaret Markov US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
New INFINITE 1st ARENA TOUR in JAPAN Limited DVD US $39.00 [0 bids]
TINA ARENA - 2 page magazine article 2008 US $7.18 Buy It Now 1 day
F/S SHINee THE FIRST JAPAN ARENA TOUR "SHINee WORLD 2012" SPECIAL NEW US $134.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Battle Arena Toshinden VHS Uncut, English Dubbed US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ayumi hamasaki ARENA TOUR 2005 MY STORY HK VCD Box ??? RARE ????? FIVE Love US $5.00 [0 bids]
Atomic Kitten,Greatest Hits - Live At Wembley Arena - Plus...,Japan DVD US $24.99 [0 bids]
Ermione: Adriatic Arena, Pesaro (Abbado) - Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) Region 2 US $45.47 Buy It Now 2 days
DVD: Spatacus Gods of the Arena US $2.50 [0 bids]
New CNBLUE Arena Tour 2012 COME ON at SAITAMA SUPER ARENA DVD Japan F/S US $70.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Japan AYUMI HAMASAKI ????? ARENA TOUR 2006 A (miss)understood w/Box 3-DVD New US $42.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Japan AYUMI HAMASAKI ????? Arena Tour 2009 A Next Level Taiwan w/box 3-DVD New US $38.79 Buy It Now 2 days
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena New DVD! Ships Fast! US $17.74 Buy It Now 2 days
WILD LIVE AT THE LONDON ARENA LASERDISC US $17.90 Buy It Now 2 days
KABAIVANSKA / ANTINORI / ARENA - PUCCINI: MADAMA BUTTERFLY - DVD* *SEALED* US $7.27 Buy It Now 2 days
Arena US $9.17 Buy It Now 2 days
New dvd ADRENALIN CREW : Arena Legal US $10.00 Buy It Now 2 days
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR: LIVE ARENA TOUR [BLU-RAY] - NEW BLU-RAY US $11.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Ring of Honor Wrestling Arena Warfare ROH CZW WWE TNA ECW rare ROH dvd US $9.99 [0 bids]
PINK - Live from Wembley Arena DVD NEW SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
VAN VAN Live at Miama Arena DVD + 2 CD's Box Set Z US $21.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (DVD, 2011, 2-Disc Set) US $24.99 [0 bids]
Battle Arena Toshinden (DVD, 1997) ANIME UNCUT VERSION OOP US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
PRIDE Fighting Championships - Vol. 2: From the Yokohama Arena (DVD, 2001) US $2.50 [0 bids]
Jesus Christ Superstar Live Arena Tour US $8.97 Buy It Now 2 days
Sodagreen Walk Together 2012 Live Taipei Arena Taiwan Blu-ray Disc (BD)+postcard US $44.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Spartacus Gods Of The Arena Season Two Blu-ray Digibook. S2 US $19.99 [0 bids]
TINA ARENA DON'T ASK - THE SHORT FILMS ORIGINAL VHS HI-FI DOLBY STEREO EXC.COND. US $4.51 [0 bids]
New ONE OK ROCK Zankyou Zankyo Reference Tour In Yokohama Arena DVD Japan F/S US $70.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena - The Complete Collection (DVD, 2011, 2-Disc Set) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena, Blood and Sand, Vengeance, War of the Damned...... US $100.00 [0 bids]
Jesus Christ Superstar (2012) (Live Arena Tour) DVD - New & Sealed! Region 4 US $19.90 Buy It Now 3 days
OPERA LASERDISC 1982 ARENA DI VERONA AIDA CLASSICAL MUSIC US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Un Poquito De Tanta Verdad (A little bit of so much truth) DVD Granito De Arena US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Japan SHINee THE FIRST ARENA TOUR WORLD 2012 Taiwan 2-DVD+Promo Sticker New US $42.79 Buy It Now 3 days
Japan AYUMI HAMASAKI ????? ARENA TOUR 2012 A HOTEL Love songs 2013 Taiwan 2-DVD US $37.79 Buy It Now 3 days
ARENA**CAUGHT IN THE ACT**DVD US $14.69 Buy It Now 3 days
16mm film 1952 DEATH IN THE ARENA - Sterling Films / Manolete's "Goring footage" US $29.99 [0 bids]
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena DVD - Brand New and Sealed! US $26.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Verdi - Luisa Miller / Jacques Lassalle Ě Maurizio Arena Ě June Anderson Ě OpÚr US $9.02 Buy It Now 3 days
Battle Arena Toshinden (VHS, 1997, Edited version) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Arena Visual Entertainment-British Steam Engines: City DVD NEW US $11.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Pink - Live from Wembley Arena, Good DVD, Pink, US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena - The Complete Collection (DVD, 2011, 2-Disc Set) US $13.99 [0 bids]
VHS- THE ARENA - 1973 - ROGER CORMANS - OOP - PAM GRIER - CLASSIC ! - RARE !!! US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy ARENA music online Buy ARENA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ARENA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ARENA Caught In The Act (DVD) ratings distribution

ARENA Caught In The Act (DVD) reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars True Neo Prog Masterpiece, performed LIVE!

With a wide spectrum of prog music, obviously you have to switch your taste - temporarily - to neo prog vein if you really want to enjoy this DVD. It's probably hard to appreciate this live set if you do not enjoy neo prog or you get used to watch Dream Theater "Live at Budokan" DVD with all head banging things. But if you love ARENA's music, this DVD is a definitely a MUST for you as this is the first full live set DVD from the band, as far as I know. Recorded at the Krzemionki television studios in Krakow, Poland in 11 April 2003, Caught In The Act shows an excellent live concert. The band delivers most tracks of their "Contagion" album as well as "Visitor", "Immortal?" and "Songs from the Lion's Cage". For me personally, I really enjoy watching this DVD even though I have to admit that there is nothing that really stands out from this DVD - everything is just as usual prog concert. The first time I got this DVD, I spun and watched many times in its entirety with a very uplifting mood. It's probably I love the band's music and was familiar with all tracks featured in this video. There was no audience participation. I don't know whether they're just stunned with the concert ore just stayed quiet because they're not Arena audience? There seem no audience voice captured by the microphone as well. Well, in terms of usual rock concert, it is not a lively one. (I imagine if I were there in the concert, of course I would sing a long with the music! - that's exactly what I do whenever I watch this DVD!)

The live opener "Witch Hunt" is in fact an opening track for the band's "Contagion" album. It's an upbeat and uplifting track that I can not help myself for not being emotionally involved with the live nuance - as if I were one of the crowd. Of course, I shout "Exile! You show no mercy!" out-loud when watching this part on screen (it's my house man, I don't care! No one's looking at me but my family members - which they know me very well with my habit . too bad for them hah? That's the conditions that they have to accept, my friends . Selfish? Probably!).

The Musicians

I almost don't really care with an ugly look of Rob Sowden with his fluorescent glass (sorry Rob, I hate your appearance like this!). His voice is powerful, so I neglect his appearance and live act. I love John Mitchell guitar style on stage - relax and cool. Sometimes he walk around the stage approaching Ian Salmon (bass) doing some face to face communication with unspoken words. Ian's style and bass playing is also good, I like it. Clive Nolan is active with his keyboard with some body language in his live style. I'm so happy watching Mick Pointer in this show. He has improved a lot in his drumming as compared to his first performance with MARILLION "Recital of The Script". [ Note: What makes me happy with Mick is basically his return to prog music after 10 or 12 years vacuum in music industry. I read his story in the Appendix of a book : Marillion - Separated Out where he turned to be a kitchen designer after he left Marillion. Ten years later, a die hard fan of Marillion tracked him down and made a direct phone call asking him to make another great music like he did with marillion. To make the story short, finally he was introduced to Clive Nolan and made a new band: ARENA. Oh . what a great prog story for me man . A fan can inspire the prog musician! So inspiring isn't it? At least for me personally .]. Yup, Mick does a great job with ARENA and especially with this live show.

The Music

The music flows magically from "Witch Hunt" to "Ascension" (12 tracks out of 16 of "Contagion" album) with various styles and stunning performance with flawless delivery by each musician. Even though I like the whole performance, but when it reaches "Painted man" I really enjoy it very much. That's not the end as when I go with the show, it has a quieter passage under "City of Lanterns" where Rob plays acoustic guitar and sings. It continues with an adrenalin-exploding track "Riding The Tide". Oh man . this part is really W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L. This time John Mitchell live act is really cool. He plays great guitar solo combined with his silent communication with Ian Salmon while playing bass guitar. What a nice show! Clive Nolan's keyboard solo is also nice during this part.

Having done the "Contagion" excellently the band brings us to their previous album "The Visitor" with a Flodian guitar solo "Serenity". Mitchell . you make my day man .this is a great guitar solo to set the atmosphere of the next live acts. "Chosen" (from "Immortal?") album is also a great show. Other tracks from "The Visitor" like "Double Vision", "Hanging Three", a track with killing melody "(Don't Forget To) Breathe" and "The Butterfly Man" are performed stunningly. I would say all Arena's best tracks are performed flawlessly here. I imagine if a "Crying for Help" from Songs from Lion's Cage is also performed and featuring Steve Rothery (Marillion) in guitar solo interlude ..what a great experience!

The Disc Quality

The recording quality is good in terms of delivering a balanced sounds. However, this DVD lacks power (volume) as I have to play with greater than half the volume of my power amplifier to get an audible sound. The picture is good also.

Overall Recommendation

It's a MUST for Arena or neo prog lovers. You will get a great DVD that features some (not all) of the band's best tracks performed excellently. As I said, even though there is nothing that really stands out as far as "atmosphere" of a dynamic live concert, but the music is performed excellently. If you enjoy Arena music, you would be emotionally involved with the music during the show and this video would pour you with a stream of acts and sounds that bring to ultimate satisfaction of your mind. For rating, I would give a 4 ╝ out of 5 stars. Highly recommended. Keep on progging!

Yours progressively,

GW - Indonesia

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#34190) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Review by Menswear
5 stars Want it or not, NÚo prog is one of the 'flavor of the month'. Since the end of the 90's, Magenta, Violet District, Carptree, Marillion (huge comeback last year) and mostly Arena did a lot of ruckuss in the music industry. Some of those bands carried a heavy truck full of lightning equipment and some bands like Marillion and Magenta had build a respectable concert reputation, even setting new standards in sound quality by the opinion of many newspapers.

So hurray yip ho-ho for Arena's fan, with Caught in the Act you posess a generous portion of old and new stuff. Honestly, I was a bit chocked by the performance of Sowden. I had to go over his 'theatrical personnality' and tragic mimics. Some people in this site even classified Arena as the 'cheesiest prog band on stage'. And with a smile on my face, I frankly thought so for a while. But then I realized how much these guys are giving their blood and sweat to make this gig a success. And the performance is excellent, if not perfect. No, no! I'm saying this for real, after seeing Rush In Rio, Glass Hammer Lex Rex Live and Roger Water Live in the Flesh, I can honestly say that Arena are as good as those. Arena does it good at every song (comparing to Rush clumsy performance in Rio).

Seeing Clive Nolan twirling around his impressive keyboard panoply is a treat. This guy is not only a skilled song maker and entertainer but also a very gifted player. I'd say he's the cement that makes Arena work so well. Him being the major support in most of the songs is the best way to improve their sound. Therefore, the sound of Caught in the Act in breathtaking. A great amount of money must have been injected to give this concert a surreal audio quality.

Apart form the top notch Nolan's performance is the other main column of the project: John Mitchell. Seeing him will ensure you that this guy is THE guitarist of the genre. You know, when making your guitar sound like that and when it looks that EASY for him...you know you got the man. And he's the man, from start to finish. He's also fun to watch him interact with Ian Salmon. Salmon is often saw has the weakest link of the band. Naah. Saying that is speaking too fast. His bass techs are surprinsingly fast at times, and he surprised me many times in terms of complexity. He's more a low profile musician, but believe me I'd take him in my band ANY time he'd call. You don't have to be Geddy Lee to be considered competent! And what I like the most about him is that he's at his place: not wasting quality work at jumping around and posing and being a reliable sidekick to Mitchell.

A good round of applause for Mick Pointer's robotic drumming. By robotic I mean that he looks like he's about the miss the beat. He plays like he's at his first gig, really counting the beat and concentrating a lot to avoid clumsy drum rolls. It's just funny to watch that's all. Because he may not be a flashy performer, but he's honest at what he does and probably hates the glitter style.

Last but not least is Rob Sowden's (very) emotionnal gestures and ways. He reallys wants to make it work and some of you could find him cheesy and even lousy actor. Well, what we ask from him is not signing out of key. And man, this guy has a gift. His voice carries you where he wants and the credit goes mainly to his vocal performance. He carries a lot of pressure, considering the heavy vocal pyrothecnics in studio. The bar was (dangerously) high but he got it right. His voice didn't let go through some touchy songs in the Contagion album. I'm always admiring a great vocal performance and my hat goes to Sowden. He's not Peter Gabriel- entertaining but we forgive him at the minute he opens his mouth.

Oooh yeah this show is visually nicely done (lots of angles, good lighting kit) and the audio quality is prime time entertainment for those who dig the nÚo-prog mood.

Ka-ching! thank you very much, please come again.

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#34191) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Review by richardh
2 stars I love the live CD 'Welcome To The Stage' but many of the songs from that are absent on this later show.The band are as tight as ever but much of it just leaves me cold to be honest.The presentation leaves something to be desired for a DVD.Maybe worth getting for less than a tenner.

Send comments to richardh (BETA) | Report this review (#34192) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 06, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars This DVD consist of the whole of their "Live & Life" CD released a year later than this one.

Tracklist is exactly the same. Usually, DVD's have some addtitional songs featured but it won't be the case here. I had to watch this DVD through my DVD player and standard telly, and I had problems with the sound (I had to put it real high to be able to listen to it). During almost the whole lenght of the DVD, you can hardly hear the audience reactions. I guess that there is definitively a technical problem there.

I have already enjoyed an Arena concert (in 2005 for their "Pepper & Ghost" tour). These are great moments because the band is really skilled and plays back their songs very faithfully. They are energetic and Rob is a relatively good entertainer. For the details of the music, you can have a look at my review of the double CD set "Live & Life".

I will just outline here the additional features you can get out of this DVD. I won't be long over the "fully animated menus", bio, photo gallery etc. These are unfortunately always weak moments on a DVD. I would like bands to be a bit more creative in this respect. Being the owner of a (small) multimedia company, I know that this could be easily improved.

I will highlight here some of the interview parts. I really believe that the interviewer should be fired. Asking such stupid questions is really unbelievable.What's more is that the band not only answered to them, but left them as such on this DVD.

I'll give two examples.

1. Interviewer ask them about the concept of their first album "Songs From The Lions Cage". Both CLive and Mick will tell him that it was no concept, just a collection of songs.

2. The stupid guy will ask them the difference between hard rock and progressive rock. Great discussion !

The interesting moments of this interview will be the origin of the band (while Clive and Mike met and wrote the first few songs with some pints in front of them). You'll also learn that Mick's introduction to music were Deep Purple, Led Zep, Black Sabbath (end of the sixties and the very begining of the seventies) and sometime later Yes, Tull and Genesis. I found this quite remarkable because it corresponds almost to what I have experienced (even if Mick is ... three years older as I am). As far as Clive is concerned, you will learn that he was rather into classical music and that he only discovered prog with "Seconds Out".

I can only recommend this one better than the double CD "Live & Life". You'll get the same track list but at least you will be able to see the band (even if there are little visual features). On top of that, this DVD seems to be lot cheaper than the CD so...

Fours stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#125946) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 15, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Bitter harvest

After five studio albums and two official live albums, it was time for Arena's first live video. Recorded and filmed on the tour in support of Contagion, the set list naturally leans heavily towards that album. Indeed, they perform the whole thing with only minor exclusions. This takes up approximately half of the show, with the rest consisting of older material going back to the band's debut and such timeless classics as Solomon, Jericho, The Hanging Tree and The Butterfly Man. Given such an amazing set list, this should be a five star release. But there are some flaws that effectively put a stop to that. The weak sound mixing being the primary reason.

Arena is my favourite modern Prog band and one of my all time favourite bands. Their most recent album (at the time of this performance) was Contagion, which I consider a masterpiece. The performance of this album here in its entirety is however a bit of a letdown. It is fun to finally be able to see the band as I have never seen them live in real life, but they are not completely successful in bringing this conceptual album to the stage. Or rather, this DVD is not successful in capturing this gem in live form - how it actually sounded on the night, I cannot know. One problem is that the keyboards occasionally are too far back in the mix. This is especially noticeable on Clive's brilliant keyboard solo in Painted Man which is barely audible! It does, however, sound alright on the keyboard dominated instrumental Riding The Tide.

I should be fair and say that they do give us a very competent and plainly enjoyable airing of the great Contagion song-cycle, it is only that the studio version is so much better in almost all conceivable respects. The "problem" lies more in the greatness of the studio album, than in any weaknesses as such in the performance. How can you, after all, improve or recreate what is already perfect?

It comes almost like a relief when they leave Contagion behind and John Mitchell gets to perform the wonderful guitar instrumental Serenity backed by discrete keyboards by Clive. This number is one of the rare instances here that is up to par, or above, its studio counterpart. But the whole of the rest of the performance is better than the Contagion part. What follows are a collection of songs from the band's first four albums including a further four from the fantastic The Visitor, two each from Immortal? and Songs From The Lion's Cage, and, finally, Crying For Help VII from the Pride album which closes the show. The latter song is, as usual in live performance, not the a cappella version that it originally was, but is given the full band treatment. Even if all of these songs are even better in studio form, these are still fine performances of these great songs. The Butterfly Man is one of the highlights of the whole show. The encore begins with the magnificent Solomon from the brilliant debut, Songs From The Lion's Cage. However, this version, though I find no problem with it in principle, just doesn't move me like the studio version or the live version on Welcome To The Stage. The same is true of many of the songs here.

(The very tall) front man Rob Sowden has a great voice, but he wears some weird outfits, hats, make-up and goggles that he changes several times during the course of the show! The rest of the band are a bit more "down to earth".

As I said at the beginning, there is something with the sound that is not quite right on this DVD. I can turn the volume up to maximum on my sound system while watching this DVD, something I cannot do with any other DVD I own! But turning up the volume is not the solution, only the symptom of the underlying problem. Too bad for what appears to be a great show by an amazing band! The bonus features includes an interview with Clive and Mick. A polish journalist asks them rather stupid questions, and Clive can barely stop himself from laughing at some questions.

To sum up. This DVD is good, but not at all as great as it could and should have been given the impressive set list. I strongly recommend not making this DVD your introduction to Arena, or even your live introduction to the band. Begin instead with the excellent studio albums. And if you are looking specifically for a live recording, I would recommend the two first official live albums, Welcome To The Stage and Breakfast In Biarritz, which both sound better than the present live recording.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#240777) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 21, 2009

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Excellent DVD, marred only slightly by the fact that the general sound is a little too low on the final editing. That┬┤s strange since otherwise the balance is perfect: you can hear all the instruments and voices almost like a studio recording. Anyway, it is really a treat for all fans of this outstanding prog band that started out as a simple side project for Clive Nolan (Pendragon, Shadowland) with ex Marillion drummer Mike Pointer. If you consider how many of those project Nolan had already done (Strangers On A Train, Wakeman-Nolan, etc), it is all the more amazing to see how far they have reached up till that point.

Caught In The Act was recorded during the tour for Arena┬┤s Contagion CD and it is no surprise that the bulk of the songs are from that album. Which is not bad at all, since that record is one of their best (second only to their masterpiece The Visitor) and being a concept album, it is only logical to play it almost entirely and in the correct running order of the CD. But fans of the earlier material cannot complain much since they also play three songs from both The Visitor and Immortal?, two from their debut Songs From The Lion┬┤s Cage and one from Pride. Most of the time the choice of material was the best from each CD. The only exception to this rule is in the case of Pride: I┬┤d much rather see them playing the epic Sirens instead of Cry For Help VII, but you can┬┤t have everything, right?

For the perfomances themselves, the band is in fine form. They seemed to be playing together since forever and it amazed me: Contagion was just the first Arena┬┤s work to feature the same line up as its previous one and still they play like a seasoned group. The original duo found a very talented guitarrist (John Mitchell) that gave them the right ingredient to expand their original formula and save them from the ' Marillion clone' syndrome of their first two releases. Singer Rob Sowden is a very charismatic singer with an very good voice, strong and versatile enough to perfect deliver Nolan┬┤s dark and gloomy lyrics (something Nolan himself always lacked when he fronts Shadowland). The rhythm section of Ian Salmon (bass) and Pointer is powerful and dynamic, giving the songs a driving beat that is both original and very adequade for the tunes.

Wih fantastic stage lightining, good camera angles and a killer repertoire, this is surely a must have for any fan. Arena really exceeded all expectations. Kudos to them!

Rating: 4,5 stars. Highly recommended.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#434036) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011

4 stars This is a wonderful DVD, The filming is excellent and the sound quality equally as good.The performance during this live set is excellent. The lead guitar playing from John Mitchell is second to none. Since buying the DVD I have very much enjoyed watching it. Neo -Prog or what you want to call i ... (read more)

Report this review (#110594) | Posted by | Saturday, February 03, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This was specially recorded in Poland during the Contagion tour 2003. The first 13 tracks are the album almost in its entirity played without a break. Perhaps it's the unfamilliarity of the new material but the crowd don't seem overly involved. This aside the renditions are carried out brillia ... (read more)

Report this review (#100283) | Posted by laghtnans | Friday, November 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Opening Quote: This is my first review for Arena (my best band beside Dream Theater). I bought this DVD almost in the same time with IQ "Subterranea-The Concert" DVD. The case was identical. I wanted to have it although I had bought "Live & Life" CD. I was very satisfied to see them (I had com ... (read more)

Report this review (#89225) | Posted by Fernandi | Friday, September 08, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ARENA "Caught In The Act (DVD)"