DIG IT

Good, but non-essential

Buy KLAUS SCHULZE Music
Studio Album, released in 1980

Disk 1 (77:11)
1. Death Of An Analogue (12:15)
2. Weird Caravan (5:03)
3. The Looper Isn't A Hooker (8:17)
4. Synthasy (22:56)
Bonus Track:
5. Esoteric Goody (28:21)

Disk 2 (62:22)
1. Linzer Stahlsinfonie (Bonus-DVD der 2005er Ausgabe, live 1980) (62:22)

Search KLAUS SCHULZE Dig It lyrics

Search KLAUS SCHULZE Dig It tabs

- Klaus Schulze / all instruments
- Fred Severloh / drums ("Death of an Analogue")
- Tommy Betzler / drums ("Stahlsinfonie")

LP Logo 8116322 (1980)
CD Magnum America 64 (1996)
CD+DVD Revisited 30408 (2005)

Thanks to seyo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

KLAUS SCHULZE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KLAUS SCHULZE Dig It Music

Thunderbolt 1999
Audio CD$49.99 (used)
Dig it (1980) / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]Dig it (1980) / Vinyl record [Vinyl-LP]
Vinyl$18.39 (used)
Klaus Schulze - Dig It - Brain - 0060.353Klaus Schulze - Dig It - Brain - 0060.353
Brain
Vinyl$26.47 (used)

More places to buy KLAUS SCHULZE music online Buy KLAUS SCHULZE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KLAUS SCHULZE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KLAUS SCHULZE Dig It ratings distribution

KLAUS SCHULZE Dig It reviews

Review by Seyo
3 stars Well until recently I only heard reputation of Schulze being an early member of TANGERINE DREAM, and finally got this one at low price. Not bad at all! Very pleasant electronic music but with some sci-fi/space touch, unlike J.M. Jarre for instance. There are even some hints of Orf's "Carmina Burana"-style choir at the beginning of this album. I guess he has better works than this but for the beginning I give it ***.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#34888) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 29, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I was deeply in love with Klaus's work during the seventies (up to "Mirage").

The sounds available here are dramatically different (and less passionate) than before. The eighties were of course the summit of the synthetic moods, but these ones aren't so beautiful than the great songs available on his seventies albums.

I can't be moved by "Death Of An Analogue" which sounds more as a "Kraftwerk" tune as anything else. Minimalist, repetitive, with little texture to tell the truth. At least, it is my feeling. And I don't like to write this since I'm a deep fan from the man.

It is of no great comfort to listen to "Weird Caravan" either. It makes me think of an "André Brasseur" track (a Belgian organ player from the sixties). It doesn't sound bad, but compared to the grandiose work released in the previous decade, this is just a light meal as far as I'm concerned.

This decade doesn't start under favourable auspices for Klaus; but the late seventies didn't close brilliantly either. The best is unfortunately behind us, I'm afraid. " The Looper Isn't A Hooker" won't make me change my mind.

The long "Synthasy" does have some beautiful fragrance, some earlier brilliance and sublime passages. This is how I like the man. The mood is definitely more cosmic and mysterious. More spacey, more sidereal, better by all means in comparison with the rest of this album.

The introduction is truly magic in my own view. A superb conjunction of beauty. As I have said: brilliant. Even when the electric beats catch up, it remains a jewel of a melody and an absolute must own.

Thanks to the wonderful epic, I rate this album with three stars. The other parts are IMHHO not really worth.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#241435) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 25, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Before fading away into obscurity, Klaus Schulze had a few more great albums in him. Dig It is the first of those and a must-have for fans, especially in the re-issued 2005 version.

The opening Death of an Analogue is a hit and miss, the repetitive percussion does not have the qualities from similar Kraftwerk exploits and the track gets really tedious after less then 5 minutes. The easy solution is to start with Weird Caravan, a surprisingly catchy and up-beat song that was the first piece I appreciated on this album. The Looper Isn't A Hooker is even better. Both tracks announce a new flavour in Schulze's music, one that works more on complex rhythms then on melody.

Synthasy is another winner, it starts very experimentally, with an almost kraut-alike opening, halfway in we are deeply submersed in Schulze's lush sound textures. The music is less accessible then the works from the 70's but it is not less rewarding.

Based on these pieces, the album would be a solid 3 stars, but on the 2005 re-issue there is an extra track that adds a marvellous 30-minute soundscape. The booklet says it's from the Dig It period but it sounds like it could have come right from Mirage or X (especially Heinrich von Kleist comes to mind). The first part is very abstract, downright spooky and disquieting, the second part has more harmonious features such as big moog and synth choir sounds, the third part is very experimental and non-melodious again, but as you know, Schulze doesn't need melody to be amazing.

The 2005 re-issue also adds a DVD from a 1980 concert Linzer Stahksinfonie, I haven't looked more then once yet. There isn't much to see actually apart from Schulze in a particularly goofy mining suit, a very sweaty drummer with a stern moustache and typical 80's imagery effects. The sound is OK though and the music consists mainly of improvisations on X material. The Schulze costume makes it hard to take this grave music seriously, so it works better if you just listen and ignore the images!

I wouldn't call the concert DVD a necessary item as such but it's a nice item for fans. The bonus track on the re-issued CD is a real gem though so make sure to order the right version of this album.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#256274) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Review by Warthur
2 stars Like its preceding Dune, Dig It finds Klaus Schulze at an awkward transitional point in his career in which he was attempting to integrate newer synthesisers and approaches to synthesiser playing into his usual composition style, with rather mixed results. The opening Death of an Analogue harks back to his earlier work, but doesn't match it in terms of quality, and subsequent songs have catchy synthesiser beats but don't quite hang together to my ears. With more and more artists entering the electronic arena, it seems that Klaus was struggling to keep up in the early 1980s and found it difficult to find his place in the new environment.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#565782) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 10, 2011

4 stars THE EIGHTIES ARE ELECTRONIC There is something romantic going here as electronic music maestro Klaus Schulze ushers in a new era of digitally rendered music with one of the first recordings of it`s kind using cutting edge computer technology. It`s as if ... (read more)

Report this review (#188709) | Posted by Vibrationbaby | Monday, November 10, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KLAUS SCHULZE "Dig It"