BIG BANG THEORY

Studio Album, released in 2005

1. I Am The Walrus
2. I Can See For Miles
3. Can't Find My Way Home
4. It Don't Make Sense (You Can't Make Peace)
5. I Don't Need No Doctor

- Lawrence Gowan / vocals, keyboards
- Todd Sucherman / drums
- Ricky Phillips / bass guitar, backing vocals

CD New Door Records / CD Frontiers Records FR CD 246

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Big Bang Theory Music

Audio Fidelity 2014
Kilroy Was HereKilroy Was Here
CornerstoneCornerstone
A&M 1990
STYX & the CONTEMPORARY YOUTH ORCHESTRA CD ONE WITH EVERYTHING LIVE 2006 US $3.99 [0 bids]
29m 59s
STYX - PARADISE THEATER US $0.99 [0 bids]
31m 51s
Styx Crystal Ball 12" Vinyl Record Album AM Records SP-4604 US $6.99 Buy It Now 33m 35s
VINYL LP Styx - Paradise Theater A&M SP3719 / Etched Vinyl STERLING Ted Jensen US $13.99 Buy It Now 35m 39s
STYX, Paradise Theater, "best examples of convergence between prog' rock US $3.29 [0 bids]
39m 26s
Styx-Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight-Live US $20.20 Buy It Now 44m 33s
8 Track Tape Cartridge Styx Cornerstone Tested 6/14 US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Styx Paradise Theatre AMLK6319 Special Laser Cut Disc US $29.95 Buy It Now 1h 48m
45 RPM SINGLE RECORD. MR. ROBOTO BY STYX. SIDE TWO: SNOWBLIND. US $9.28 [0 bids]
Styx Pieces Of Eight LP 1978 A&M SP-4724 Gatefold Sterling Vinyl Record US $4.74 Buy It Now 2h
Styx Babe Stereo b/w Babe Mono 45-rpm Vinyl Record US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Styx - Kilroy was Here (Vinyl, 1983) NM US $5.99 [0 bids]
Styx Classics Volume 15 CD US $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Styx - The Paradise Theatre (Vinyl, 1981) VG US $3.99 [0 bids]
Rock CD Lot Styx, Yes, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Genesis & starship US $10.00 [0 bids]
STYX - TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS B/W QUEEN OF SPADES (45) US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 26m
STYX - COME SAIL AWAY B/W PUT ME ON (45) US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Styx Conerstone 1979 A&M 3711 Bi-Fold Progressive Hard Rock Vinyl LP NM US $12.00 [0 bids]
REO SPEEDWAGON - Cassette USA Early Print 1990 - no styx foreigner 38 boston US $2.98 [0 bids]
STYX - PARADISE THEATER - 1981 - SP-3719 - VINYL HAS LASER ETCHING! NM US $10.00 [0 bids]
Styx "Equinox" - Special Gold Vinyl Edition Record US $8.00 [0 bids]
4h
1980 Styx--Paradise Theater Laser Etching On Side Two (SP3719) Vinyl LP Used US $10.85 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, BMG(USA)) US $1.98 [1 bids]
Styx The Grand Ilusion US $150.00 [0 bids]
Pieces of Eight by Styx (LP) US $0.99 [1 bids]
STYX Come Sail Away VG++(+) 45 RPM REISSUE US $2.00 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Styx - The Grand Illusion LP VG+ US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 53m
STYX Pieces of Eight (Cassette, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) VGC LOOK! US $6.89 Buy It Now 5h 5m
38 Vintage 8 Track Tape Lot Eagles BTO ELO Elton John Steppenwolf Styx US $49.00 [0 bids]
Styx Cornerstone LP Record VG++ to Near Mint 1979 Pressing US $15.00 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Styx The Grand Illusion Vinyl LP SP-4637 US $3.00 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Lot of 6 Classic Rock Lp's Very Good + to Excellent ZZ Top,Styx,Dire Straits US $19.95 [0 bids]
STYX- MUSIC TIME/ HEAVY METAL POISONING 7" LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 11m
STYX- RENEGADE/ SING FOR THE DAY 7" LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Styx "Paradise Theatre" LP Record US $9.00 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Styx "Pieces of Eight" 1978 Rock LP, Exceptional condition, Original US $1.98 [0 bids]
Styx "Caught In The Act" Double LP 2 Record Set 1984 US $13.50 Buy It Now 6h 43m
STYX - ICON NEW CD US $20.20 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Icon by Styx (CD, Aug-2010, A&M (USA)) US $4.80 Buy It Now 6h 58m
Styx Lady Vinyl Record 12" LP 1980 US $1.99 [0 bids]
7h
1977 STYX "COME SAIL AWAY" 45 7" US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 13m
RARE PROG ROCK STYX "The Best Of Times" - 45 rpm 1980 VINYL - no triumph kansas US $0.99 [0 bids]
Tommy Shaw Styx - Girls With Guns - U.S. cd - RARE! US $22.48 Buy It Now 7h 32m
STYX CD..Greatest Hits by Styx ..THE BEST OF US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 36m
STYX EDGE OF THE CENTURY JAPAN PRESS CD OOP US $16.99 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Styx - Kilroy was Here, A&M, Picture Sleeve, gatefold US $4.99 [0 bids]
ALBUM LOT 11~CHEAP TRICK~DIRE STRAITS~REO SPEEDWAGON~STYX~KANSAS~JOURNEY~ELTON US $39.00 [0 bids]
STYX LP LOT GROUP 4 LP'S ALL NM VINYL NO BARCODES LASER ETCHED VINYL 1st US US $30.00 Buy It Now 8h 36m
STYX - Pieces Of Eight - Original Vinyl LP - A&M Records # SP-4724 - VG US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 56m
STREET MIX CD Nick Drave Spiritualized Ben Neill Styx Psychic TV Charles Mingus US $1.99 [0 bids]
9h
STYX EQUINOX JAPAN MADE SHM MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT RARE UICY-93919 US $59.99 Buy It Now 9h 7m
Styx The Grand Illusion LP Record VG++ to Near Mint 1977 Pressing US $16.00 Buy It Now 9h 24m
STYX~PIECES OF EIGHT-LP* GATEFOLD W/INNER LINER*ORIGINAL 1978 A US $2.07 [0 bids]
Lot Of 6 Styx Vinyl Record LP US $25.99 Buy It Now 10h 59m
STYX grand illusion LP 8 track sleeve has sticker tear on front (amlh64637) uk a US $8.47 Buy It Now 12h
STYX/REO SPEEDWAGON - ARCH ALLIES NEW & SEALED 2-CD + OBI RARE!! US $15.99 Buy It Now 12h
STYX - Pieces of Eight RARE ISRAELI PRESS LP NM- US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
CD Paradise Theatre Styx Limited Edition, Import US $67.99 Buy It Now 12h 5m
CD Cornerstone Styx Limited Edition, Import US $112.99 Buy It Now 12h 5m
CD Crystal Ball Styx Limited Edition, Import US $72.99 Buy It Now 12h 5m
CD Kilroy Was Here Styx Limited Edition, Import US $43.73 Buy It Now 12h 5m
CD Edge of the Century Styx Limited Edition, Import US $67.50 Buy It Now 12h 5m
CD Caught in the Act Styx Limited Edition, Import US $62.99 Buy It Now 12h 5m
Styx - Crystal Ball - 1976 A&M SP-4604 Vinyl LP Record -vinyl Excellent Cond. US $2.07 [0 bids]
STYX II ORIGINAL LP Wooden Nickel Label US $49.99 Buy It Now 12h 37m
Styx - Best Of Times-Best Of Styx CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h 42m
STYX CLASSICS VOL.9 JAPAN CD OBI 3200yen D32Y 1ST PRESS US $49.99 Buy It Now 13h 4m
"ROADIE"~OST UK WB 2LP 1980~K66093~1st Press~Blondie~Cooper~Orbison~Styx~Benatar US $25.44 Buy It Now 13h 6m
STYX II LP JAPAN RCA PG-124 US $18.00 Buy It Now 13h 10m
Arch Allies: Live at Riverport, Styx, Reo Speedwagon, Good Live US $6.99 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Styx - Pieces of Eight (Vinyl, 1978) NM US $5.99 [0 bids]
STYX Edge Of The Century CD Mini LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 15h 44m
STYX - CORNERSTONE 1990 US CD * NEW * US $10.17 Buy It Now 15h 51m
STYX - CRYSTAL BALL 1990 US CD * NEW US $11.87 Buy It Now 15h 51m
STYX - EQUINOX 1990 US CD * NEW US $11.87 Buy It Now 15h 52m
STYX - KILROY WAS HERE 1990 US CD * NEW US $11.87 Buy It Now 15h 52m
STYX - PIECES OF EIGHT 1990 US CD * NEW US $11.87 Buy It Now 15h 52m
STYX - THE GRAND ILLUSION 1990 US CD * NEW US $11.87 Buy It Now 15h 52m
STYX Paradise Theater Laser STYX etched B side A&M Records Vinyl 33 1/3 LP DLP US $12.99 Buy It Now 16h 13m
Styx ~ Paradise Theatre/ Japan LP/ Laser Etching OBI Sheet Gatefold US $9.99 Buy It Now 16h 25m
STYX - Cornerstone - 1979 - CD - CD 3239 US $22.99 [0 bids]
1976 Styx Crystal Ball LP A&M SP-4604 NM- Vinyl US $9.90 Buy It Now 16h 33m
MARIA JERITZA GLUCK DIVINITES DU STYX SINGLE SIDED HMV 2-033090 US $6.77 Buy It Now 16h 58m
Styx PARADISE THEATER 12" Vinyl Record ETCHED HOLOGRAM US $8.99 Buy It Now 17h 32m
NEW - Yesterday & Today by Styx US $3.52 Buy It Now 17h 36m
TOMMY SHAW Ambition 1987 ATLANTIC PROMO STYX solo Lp US $7.29 Buy It Now 17h 40m
STYX Best Of CD Germany 11 tracks RCA PD83597 disc made in Japan US $9.99 [0 bids]
Styx, VG++, Equinox, VG++ Cover, VG+, Record LP 33, SP 4559 US $6.59 [0 bids]
Tribute to Styx by Various Artists US $8.31 Buy It Now 18h 21m
STYX 7" PS JAPAN BOAT ON THE RIVER R867 US $5.00 Buy It Now 18h 24m
1979 Styx Cornerstone LP A&M Re-Issue SP-3711 VG+ Vinyl US $2.20 Buy It Now 18h 27m
Styx, Near Mint, KillRoy Was Here, VG++ Cover, VG+, Record LP 33, SP 3734 US $7.99 [0 bids]
STYX SERPENT IS RISING LP ORIGINAL 1973 USA SUPER RARE WOODEN NICKEL LABEL US $84.48 Buy It Now 18h 34m
1977 Styx The Grand Illusion Record Album Vinyl LP A&M SP 4637 US $19.99 Buy It Now 18h 36m
Classics Vol. 15 Styx (Early CD 1987 A&M) UPC 07502125132 DIDX 002854 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Vinyl Record LP STYX The Grand Illusion US $12.99 Buy It Now 18h 41m
1980 Styx Paradise Theater Etched LP A&M Records SP-3719 Classic Rock US $1.59 [0 bids]
19h
1980-90'S ROCK CASETTES GOOD CONDITION styx,warrant,young mc,bolton,carey US $25.00 Buy It Now 19h 25m
STYX CORNERSTONE 180GM LP VINYL NEW US $39.02 Buy It Now 19h 37m
9 Cd's:Megadeth,Styx,Toad,Bo Deans,Indigo Girls,Rem,Piedmont,Neville, Bruel US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 47m

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Big Bang Theory ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(18%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(18%)

STYX Big Bang Theory reviews

Review by Gatot
2 stars What do you expect from a tribute album? The old and classic tunes performed differently by a band / artist who has its own musical identity? That's at least what I expect to happen, really. A good example of tribute is Esperanto delivering "Eleanor Rigby" where the music was totally rearranged differently in which you cannot identify at first part on what song the band was trying to deliver. This version by Esperanto is I think the best arrangement so far (my view) on Eleanor Rigby. The second best is the one performed by Indonesian band God Bless in their debut album in 1976. Another good example of tribute is Genesis' "Back In The New York City" rearranged and performed by Kevin Gilbert in "Supper's Ready" tribute CD.

STYX with this tribute album does not show the way I expect. First, there is no much different from the original version. Take example the opening track "I Am The Walrus" it does not sound different from The Beatles version, even it sounds worse. The other track is "Salty Dog" by Procol Harum (thanks GOD .. I've seen so many excellent reviews about Procol Harum by colleague collaborator Martin Vengadesan today - thank, mate!) which is not performed better than original recording. Second, this line- up of STYX does not carry the soul of Styx music I have heard in years. It's probably the unique vocal of Dennis De Young who is missing in this line-up. In a nutshell, I am not impressed at all with this album. It seems to me that this one is only released for commercial reason or probably a snob following RUSH who released "Feedback" that contained tribute to the legends as well.

However, there are good tracks that I can see it's worth listening to. The most rewarding one is the last track "Blue Collar Man" - the band's own song which has been completely rearranged and it sounds much better than the original version. If ypu ask me about the whole CD, this last track is the only one that intrigues me to have a spin. It's wonderfully rearranged! The other one worth listening to is Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath". Even though the arrangement is good but it does not show the soul of Styx music. This is different with the same song performed by Germany's power metal hero Helloween where they perform with the soul of the band.

How can I recommend you about this CD? Don't buy it. You'd better borrow your friend's CD collection. Unless, you are a completionist who wants to get a full collection of Styx album. In that case, you do not need to read my review at all. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#43611) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 21, 2005

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars Normally don't care for tribute albums, because it's an excuse for some labels to keep the bands from their rooster in activity when they are not able to release own material, but when a band like STYX dares to make a tribute to the artists that influenced them and play songs of 13 different artists with different styles, then is something worth to listen.

Before buying the album, came to Prog Archives and read the reviews, most of them talk about a less than average album, and complain about Dennis De Young not being in the band, I must say I don't miss Dennis at all, he is a great composer, but also responsible for some of the worst tracks as "Babe" or "Mister Robotto" and Lawrence Gowan is a great performer with a better voice.

So a few days ago decided to ignore the bad reviews and bought "The Big Bang Theory" and not disappointed at all, of course there are weaker songs, being that I don't expect anybody to play HENDRIX music just like he did, but STYX shows respect for the authors and adds some of their unique style.

Normally I review each and every track, but being that we are talking about covers, of well known songs, I will mention the ones that impressed me more:

The first one that caught my attention is "I Can See for Miles" being that they don't try to re- create the style of THE WHO, something too hard to do, but instead they add the complex chorals something in which STYX are champions and make an interesting track to listen.

Trying to recreate a song by a supergroup as "BLIND FAITH" is always a hard task, specially when the original singer is so unique as Steve Winwood, so instead of searching for a more similar ranged voice as James Young, the band went with Tommy Shaw, one of the few vocalists that gets better with the years, he's so different that nobody will compare them, and the whole band does a great job.

"A Salty Dog" has never been among my favourite tracks by PROCOL HARUM, but loved STYX'S version being that the entrance with Lawrence Gowan in the vocals is delightful and the guy has a better voice than Dennis who always sounded to nasal to my ears. The orchestration is wonderful and JY'S guitar is precise and if we add Todd Sucherman in the drums, they hit the nail right in the head.

"Locomotive Breath" is simply fantastic and "James Young" in the vocals is the perfect choice if you want to do a respectful tribute, the guy really adds everything you need to perform one of the best JETHRO TULL songe ever, being that making radical changes would be a sacrilege, very good version.

"Blue Collar Man" has always been a classic by STYX, but this slower version is one of the best, the details can be appreciated more, Tommy Shaw in the lead, supported by Lawrence Gowan and the whole band adding the trademark chorus are fantastic, the jazzy piano is the cherry on the top of the pie, strong closer.

Despite all the negative opinions I read, loved this album from start to end, its' always a pleasure to listen well known hits with the touch of STYX

Excellent addition for any Rock or Prog music collection so can't rate it with less tthan four stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#232159) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009

2 stars Thing is, this might be worth three, but only a few of these songs are essential. I mean, Styx did make onto 'progarchives', not that they were ever really a prog band. Maybe labels like 'art-rock' or 'semi-prog' would be appropriate, but the point is they have always experimented and tried ot ... (read more)

Report this review (#285479) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, June 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars At first, I hadn't planned to buy this album. I figured, it wasn't the original line-up of Styx, with Dennis and the Panozzo brothers, and it was just covers anyway, so it would be nothing special. Then, just two days ago, me and a friend were hanging around in a local music store, waiting unt ... (read more)

Report this review (#66166) | Posted by | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must admit, I had lost interest through the years with STYX, only because they have not been do newer material. But now that they have released an excellent collection old cover tunes I must say, I was blown away. These guys have always been a tight band. Excellent vocals, harmony, sound ... (read more)

Report this review (#49924) | Posted by | Monday, October 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I have to agree with Chris above. I'm also a longtime Styx fan since I was in elementary school in the 70's. The songs on Big Bang Theory are well-done, but you really have to have an appreciation of Styx as a fan to really enjoy the album. Otherwise, all you have are slick renditons of classic t ... (read more)

Report this review (#46955) | Posted by | Saturday, September 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You people have got to be kidding me. I don't know how anyone can say this album is great. There are only two members of the real Styx and not one of the founding members is included. It is insulting to me that JY and Tommy Shaw can call themselves styx without THE voice of styx, Dennis DeYoung ... (read more)

Report this review (#34951) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A hard rocking album, but don't look at it as a Styx album. Without Dennis DeYoung doing the lead vocals, it ain't Styx!! No offense to Tommy Shaw or the others, they are good in their own right. Enjoy this album as a great example of progessive Rock. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34950) | Posted by | Sunday, May 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is great as far as covers go. Styx didnt simply remake the songs to sound just as they did when performed by the original artists. They didnt ruin the songs by changing them too much either. This album is proof that Styx is quite talented musically and the songs on it are just classic. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34948) | Posted by | Monday, May 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This Album Rocks! Not only is the first Styx CD with Bassist Ricky Phillips on it, You don't even have to be a fan of Styx to get the album. JY does an amazing Jethro Tull on Locomotive Breath. Gowan is a real crowd pleaser with the new versions of the Beatles' I Am The Walrus and the Ashford/ ... (read more)

Report this review (#34947) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Yes this album rocks, and it is very enjoyable (and easy listening!) but it's only a cover album with nothing special. It is a tribute to several great bands of the past, like The Who, Free, Jethro Tull and Procol Harum. I say "only" a cover album because the songs are too similar to the origi ... (read more)

Report this review (#34945) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album rocks! I usually don't like cover tunes but they do an incredible job on this. Tommy Shaw kicks it with One Way Out and Summer in the City. JY pulls off a Jethro Tull song (Locomotive Breath), that even Tull would be proud of. Keep going guys, you rule! ... (read more)

Report this review (#34944) | Posted by | Saturday, May 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one great rock CD. I never thought a cover CD could be soooo good. I bought in yesterday and have listened to it about 8 times so far. This morning I read that 10 songs from this CD have entered the album rock charts of Mediabase this week! That has to be a new record and shows the pow ... (read more)

Report this review (#34943) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars So Styx was coming out with a cd covering other bands tunes.. they are a great group.. can they pull it off? Yes they Can! Wow, what a great collection of music. Songs were carefully chosen to feature each singers voice. Somes songs were very familiar and some were new to my ears.. but one ... (read more)

Report this review (#34942) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Big Bang Theory "