BIG BANG THEORY

Studio Album, released in 2005

1. I Am The Walrus
2. I Can See For Miles
3. Can't Find My Way Home
4. It Don't Make Sense (You Can't Make Peace)
5. I Don't Need No Doctor

- Lawrence Gowan / vocals, keyboards
- Todd Sucherman / drums
- Ricky Phillips / bass guitar, backing vocals

CD New Door Records / CD Frontiers Records FR CD 246

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Big Bang Theory Music

EquinoxEquinox
Styx Sing For The Day 45 RPM 7", Good US $1.50 Buy It Now 49m 45s
Styx - Don't Let It End - 7 inch single US $4.53 Buy It Now 1h
Vintage STYX II 8 Track Cassette Tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
TOMMY SHAW The Great Divide Rare Signed Booklet + Sealed CD Styx Damn Yankees US $22.99 [0 bids]
Styx promo Radio special White label 3LP ultra mega rare!!! US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Styx 45 w/ps MR. ROBOTO / SNOWBLINDED ~ VG+ to VG++ US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Styx - Cornerstone (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $34.09 Buy It Now 1h 46m
STYX CORNERSTONE 1979 UK A&M RECORDS GATEFOLD VINYL LP*NEAR MINT ITEM THROUGHOUT US $16.16 Buy It Now 1h 47m
STYX-CYCLORAMA-VERY GOOD USED 2003 CD-SHIPS WITH TRACKING NUMBER! US $3.96 Buy It Now 1h 53m
STYX Greatest Hits 1995 A&M CD 70s & 80s Come Sail Away Babe Mr Roboto 16 Songs US $10.04 Buy It Now 1h 59m
STYX Crystal Ball LP Gold Vinyl With Promo Sticker Canada Only EX/EX US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Styx, "The Grand Illusion" Vinyl LP - 1977 A & M Records SP 4637 Album US $5.00 [0 bids]
Chronicles [Long Box] 3 Styx CDS BOX SET - BRAND NEW RARE US $13.50 [2 bids]
STYX(Fooling Yourself)"The Grand Illusion" CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
Regeneration, Vol. I & II [Digipak] by Styx NEW SEALED CD, 2011, 2 Discs, Eagle US $11.98 Buy It Now 2h 45m
STYX "CORNERSTONE" ALBUM US $3.99 [0 bids]
* STYX "KILROY WAS HERE" A&M SP-3734 1983 GATEFOLD NEAR MINT VINYL LP * US $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Styx - Paradise Theater [CD New] US $5.18 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Styx - Millennium Collection-20th Century Masters [CD New] US $5.05 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Styx - Greatest Hits [CD New] US $10.70 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Dennis DeYoung - Desert Moon SP 5006 USA LP 1983 A&M Styx US $12.98 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Styx record PARADISE THEATRE US $10.00 [0 bids]
STYX THE BEST OF TIMES SEALED CD NEW GREATEST HITS US $3.54 Buy It Now 3h 31m
STYX**BEST OF **CD US $8.03 Buy It Now 3h 41m
STYX Paradise Theater 1980 Japan Press Tommy Shaw OBI LP A5428 US $0.99 [1 bids]
STYX "NM WAX" Kilroy Was Here 1983 Japan Press Tommy Shaw OBI LP R855 US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX KILROY WAS HERE VINYL LP A&M SP-3734 EX GATEFOLD MR. ROBOTO US $7.61 Buy It Now 4h 10m
STYX PARADISE THEATER VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM ETCHED VINYL A&M SP-3719 US $7.61 Buy It Now 4h 10m
STYX BORROWED TIME PROMO 45 COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX "NM WAX" Paradise Theater SP-3719 LP AE0617 US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX "NM WAX" Paradise Theater AMLK63719 LP AE2666 US $0.99 [1 bids]
VERY RARE CASSETTE TAPE~BOSTON+STYX+RARE EARTH+SANTANA+KINKS+ELO+GUESS WHO+MORE! US $2.99 [0 bids]
lot of qty:24 8 tracks tapes an case styx , abba , kenny rogers more see pic ! US $62.00 [0 bids]
STYX SING FOR THE DAY PROMO FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $0.99 [0 bids]
99 cent CD: Styx 20th Century Masters:The Best of Styx Millenium Collection US $0.99 [0 bids]
GOWAN - NO KILT TONIGHT (SOLO LIVE - RARE OOP CD) Styx US $19.49 [0 bids]
Pieces of Eight LP Picture Disc Vinyl by Styx Free Shipping! US $14.95 Buy It Now 4h 58m
STYX COME SAIL AWAY 45 FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $2.50 [8 bids]
Styx Paradise Theater Vinyl LP A&M Records US $7.00 [0 bids]
CORNERSTONE STYX LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
STYX The Best of Times / Lights 1980 UK 7" ETCHED A&M AMS 8102 US $4.86 [0 bids]
Vintage 8 Track STYX Pieces of Eight CRC 8T-4724 US $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Vintage 8 Track STYX Pieces of Eight CRC 8T-4724 US $10.99 Buy It Now 5h 27m
STYX Boat On The River 7" GERMAN Vinyl 45! US $1.61 [0 bids]
1978 A&M Records SP 4724 Styx "Pieces of Eight" Used US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 37m
LOT OF 10 GREAT ROCK CASSETTES STYX REO U2 HEART REM VAN HALEN LOT 27 US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Street Mix CD Music Volkswagen Car Commercials Soundtrack Trio Styx Fluke Mingus US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 56m
STYX "PARADISE THEATER" LP 1980 CANADA ETCHED EXC!! US $10.99 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Styx "Cornerstone" 1979 Rock LP, VG+, Original, Vinyl US $2.95 Buy It Now 6h 19m
STYX: Paradise Theatre SEALED Original SOUTH AMERICA Pressing LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Arch Allies: Live at Riverport by REO Speedwagon/Styx (CD, Sep-2000, 2 Discs,... US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
Styx - Paradise Theatre - Audio Fidelity Hybrid SACD US $51.96 Buy It Now 6h 37m
STYX 'Renegade' 1979 Dutch 7"/45 rpm vinyl single US $5.67 [0 bids]
VINYL LP Styx - Paradise Theater A&M SP3719 / Etched Vinyl STERLING Ted Jensen US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 40m
STYX MR ROBOTO / SNOWBLIND 45 AM 2525 VG (45s-5157) US $6.49 Buy It Now 6h 55m
STYX BEST OF TIMES / LIGHTS 45 W/SLEEVE AM 2300 VG (45s-5254) US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Styx Renegade Sing For The Day AM2110 R VG PS VG (45-6808) US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
STYX COME SAIL AWAY/PUT ME ON 45 AM 1977-S VG (45s-3968) US $6.49 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Styx-Come Sail Away & Fooling Yourself U.S. 7" 45 Lot AM-1977 AM-2007 NM/VG US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 56m
STYX Paradise Theater AMP-28022 OBI LP AC0964 US $7.99 [0 bids]
STYX "NM WAX" Kilroy Was Here AMP-28068 OBI LP AF8449 US $7.99 [0 bids]
7h
STYX "NM WAX" Paradise Theater AMP-28022 OBI LP L2898 US $7.99 [0 bids]
STYX "NM WAX" Cornerstone AMP-6064 OBI LP Y0661 US $7.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Lady [CD New] US $8.13 Buy It Now 7h 5m
Styx rock 45 NOTHING EVER GOES / NEVER SAY NEVER ~ A&M VG+ US $6.00 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Styx 45 wps COME SAIL AWAY / PUT ME ON ~ A&M VG++ rock US $3.75 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Styx 45 wps DON'T LET IT END / ROCKIN' THE PARADISE ~ A&M VG++ rock US $3.75 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Styx 45 wps MUSIC TIME / HEAVY METAL POISONING ~ A&M VG+ to VG++ rock US $3.75 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Roadie OST Soundtrack 2 LP (Alice Cooper, Blondie, Styx Roy Orbision Etc) VG/VG US $0.99 Buy It Now 7h 15m
Styx: Greatest Hits Part 2 Sampler ~ EXCELLENT RARE PROMO CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
STYX-CORNERSTONE (LTD) (OGV) VINYL LP NEW US $32.58 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Styx 45 w/ps The Best Of Times / Lights ~ A&M VG- to VG (rock) US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 30m
7" 45 RPM VINYL STYX LIGHTS & THE BEST OF TIMES AM RECORDS 1979 W PITCURE SLEEVE US $5.00 Buy It Now 7h 43m
Styx-Kilroy Was Here-LP-Gatefold-A&M-SP3734-VG+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 7h 49m
STYX Show Me The Way 1991 GERMANY CD single US $16.00 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Styx 70s POP ROCK DJ LP Crystal Ball 1976 USA ISSUE WHITE LABEL LP US $24.98 Buy It Now 8h
Styx Classics Volume 15 New CD US $9.97 Buy It Now 8h
COMPLETE WOODEN NICKEL RECORDINGS BY STYX (CD) US $24.87 Buy It Now 8h 41m
(25) LP Vinyl Record Albums - The Cars, Wang-Chung, Styx, Steve Miller US $14.95 [0 bids]
Lot of 24 (8) Track Tapes Steve Miller Band Cat Stevens Styx Doors Jeff Beck US $18.50 [3 bids]
STYX**ROCKERS (RM)**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Styx Signed Greatest Hits Cd Tommy Shaw Authentic Autograph 16 Classic Rock Hits US $99.99 Buy It Now 8h 59m
STYX "The Grand Illusion" A&M/CD-3223 NEW/Sealed (CD) US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 9m
Styx - Grand Illusion CD, BMG US $1.99 [0 bids]
Pieces of Eight by Styx  HITS  Minty CD  New Case US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Lot of 24 (8) Track Tapes Eagles Kiss Supertramp Styx Queen Pink Floyd Journey US $46.00 [16 bids]
PROGRESSIVE ROCK METAL 10 Cassette Tape Lot RUSH ALAN PARSONS ELP KANSAS STYX US $20.00 [0 bids]
Styx: Lady (New Cassette) US $8.00 Buy It Now 9h 39m
STYX Blue Collar Man 7" Blue Vinyl, Gatefold Sleeve, Orig 1978 Ltd Edition, B/W US $9.73 Buy It Now 10h 7m
STYX Love Is The Ritual 7" Ps, B/W Homewrecker, Am 709 US $6.48 Buy It Now 10h 7m
STYX Mr Roboto 7" Ps, Edited Version From The Album Kilroy Was Here B/W Snowbli US $8.10 Buy It Now 10h 7m
STYX The Best Of Times 7" Laser Etched Disc, Ps, Orig 1980 Ltd Edition, B/W Lig US $8.10 Buy It Now 10h 7m
STYX The Best Of Times 7" Ps, Dutch Pressing (Ex-/Ex) US $8.10 Buy It Now 10h 7m
STYX The Best Of Times 7" Standard Usa Release, B/W Lights, Am 2300 US $8.10 Buy It Now 10h 8m
STYX The Best Of Times 7" Usa Dj Issue Vinyl Single, Ps (Vg/Ex) US $8.10 Buy It Now 10h 8m
STYX I'm Gonna Make You Feel It 45 7" US ORIGINAL NM 1971 PROMO RARE US $9.98 Buy It Now 10h 28m
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 9/6/10 POLICE, RUSH, BTO, STYX, CCR, HOLLIES, TULL,EAGLES US $16.99 Buy It Now 10h 34m
STYX - PARADISE THEATER - LASER ETCHED-LP/Vinyl/Record US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 38m
Lot of 76 LP Albums Records Assorted Elvis, Sinatra, Chicago, Styx and more US $100.00 [0 bids]
Styx "Classics, Vol. 15" (CD, 1990, A&M) **Free Shipping** US $3.74 Buy It Now 10h 55m

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Big Bang Theory ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(18%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(18%)

STYX Big Bang Theory reviews

Review by Gatot
2 stars What do you expect from a tribute album? The old and classic tunes performed differently by a band / artist who has its own musical identity? That's at least what I expect to happen, really. A good example of tribute is Esperanto delivering "Eleanor Rigby" where the music was totally rearranged differently in which you cannot identify at first part on what song the band was trying to deliver. This version by Esperanto is I think the best arrangement so far (my view) on Eleanor Rigby. The second best is the one performed by Indonesian band God Bless in their debut album in 1976. Another good example of tribute is Genesis' "Back In The New York City" rearranged and performed by Kevin Gilbert in "Supper's Ready" tribute CD.

STYX with this tribute album does not show the way I expect. First, there is no much different from the original version. Take example the opening track "I Am The Walrus" it does not sound different from The Beatles version, even it sounds worse. The other track is "Salty Dog" by Procol Harum (thanks GOD .. I've seen so many excellent reviews about Procol Harum by colleague collaborator Martin Vengadesan today - thank, mate!) which is not performed better than original recording. Second, this line- up of STYX does not carry the soul of Styx music I have heard in years. It's probably the unique vocal of Dennis De Young who is missing in this line-up. In a nutshell, I am not impressed at all with this album. It seems to me that this one is only released for commercial reason or probably a snob following RUSH who released "Feedback" that contained tribute to the legends as well.

However, there are good tracks that I can see it's worth listening to. The most rewarding one is the last track "Blue Collar Man" - the band's own song which has been completely rearranged and it sounds much better than the original version. If ypu ask me about the whole CD, this last track is the only one that intrigues me to have a spin. It's wonderfully rearranged! The other one worth listening to is Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath". Even though the arrangement is good but it does not show the soul of Styx music. This is different with the same song performed by Germany's power metal hero Helloween where they perform with the soul of the band.

How can I recommend you about this CD? Don't buy it. You'd better borrow your friend's CD collection. Unless, you are a completionist who wants to get a full collection of Styx album. In that case, you do not need to read my review at all. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#43611) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 21, 2005

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars Normally don't care for tribute albums, because it's an excuse for some labels to keep the bands from their rooster in activity when they are not able to release own material, but when a band like STYX dares to make a tribute to the artists that influenced them and play songs of 13 different artists with different styles, then is something worth to listen.

Before buying the album, came to Prog Archives and read the reviews, most of them talk about a less than average album, and complain about Dennis De Young not being in the band, I must say I don't miss Dennis at all, he is a great composer, but also responsible for some of the worst tracks as "Babe" or "Mister Robotto" and Lawrence Gowan is a great performer with a better voice.

So a few days ago decided to ignore the bad reviews and bought "The Big Bang Theory" and not disappointed at all, of course there are weaker songs, being that I don't expect anybody to play HENDRIX music just like he did, but STYX shows respect for the authors and adds some of their unique style.

Normally I review each and every track, but being that we are talking about covers, of well known songs, I will mention the ones that impressed me more:

The first one that caught my attention is "I Can See for Miles" being that they don't try to re- create the style of THE WHO, something too hard to do, but instead they add the complex chorals something in which STYX are champions and make an interesting track to listen.

Trying to recreate a song by a supergroup as "BLIND FAITH" is always a hard task, specially when the original singer is so unique as Steve Winwood, so instead of searching for a more similar ranged voice as James Young, the band went with Tommy Shaw, one of the few vocalists that gets better with the years, he's so different that nobody will compare them, and the whole band does a great job.

"A Salty Dog" has never been among my favourite tracks by PROCOL HARUM, but loved STYX'S version being that the entrance with Lawrence Gowan in the vocals is delightful and the guy has a better voice than Dennis who always sounded to nasal to my ears. The orchestration is wonderful and JY'S guitar is precise and if we add Todd Sucherman in the drums, they hit the nail right in the head.

"Locomotive Breath" is simply fantastic and "James Young" in the vocals is the perfect choice if you want to do a respectful tribute, the guy really adds everything you need to perform one of the best JETHRO TULL songe ever, being that making radical changes would be a sacrilege, very good version.

"Blue Collar Man" has always been a classic by STYX, but this slower version is one of the best, the details can be appreciated more, Tommy Shaw in the lead, supported by Lawrence Gowan and the whole band adding the trademark chorus are fantastic, the jazzy piano is the cherry on the top of the pie, strong closer.

Despite all the negative opinions I read, loved this album from start to end, its' always a pleasure to listen well known hits with the touch of STYX

Excellent addition for any Rock or Prog music collection so can't rate it with less tthan four stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#232159) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009

2 stars Thing is, this might be worth three, but only a few of these songs are essential. I mean, Styx did make onto 'progarchives', not that they were ever really a prog band. Maybe labels like 'art-rock' or 'semi-prog' would be appropriate, but the point is they have always experimented and tried ot ... (read more)

Report this review (#285479) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, June 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars At first, I hadn't planned to buy this album. I figured, it wasn't the original line-up of Styx, with Dennis and the Panozzo brothers, and it was just covers anyway, so it would be nothing special. Then, just two days ago, me and a friend were hanging around in a local music store, waiting unt ... (read more)

Report this review (#66166) | Posted by | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must admit, I had lost interest through the years with STYX, only because they have not been do newer material. But now that they have released an excellent collection old cover tunes I must say, I was blown away. These guys have always been a tight band. Excellent vocals, harmony, sound ... (read more)

Report this review (#49924) | Posted by | Monday, October 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I have to agree with Chris above. I'm also a longtime Styx fan since I was in elementary school in the 70's. The songs on Big Bang Theory are well-done, but you really have to have an appreciation of Styx as a fan to really enjoy the album. Otherwise, all you have are slick renditons of classic t ... (read more)

Report this review (#46955) | Posted by | Saturday, September 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You people have got to be kidding me. I don't know how anyone can say this album is great. There are only two members of the real Styx and not one of the founding members is included. It is insulting to me that JY and Tommy Shaw can call themselves styx without THE voice of styx, Dennis DeYoung ... (read more)

Report this review (#34951) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A hard rocking album, but don't look at it as a Styx album. Without Dennis DeYoung doing the lead vocals, it ain't Styx!! No offense to Tommy Shaw or the others, they are good in their own right. Enjoy this album as a great example of progessive Rock. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34950) | Posted by | Sunday, May 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is great as far as covers go. Styx didnt simply remake the songs to sound just as they did when performed by the original artists. They didnt ruin the songs by changing them too much either. This album is proof that Styx is quite talented musically and the songs on it are just classic. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34948) | Posted by | Monday, May 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This Album Rocks! Not only is the first Styx CD with Bassist Ricky Phillips on it, You don't even have to be a fan of Styx to get the album. JY does an amazing Jethro Tull on Locomotive Breath. Gowan is a real crowd pleaser with the new versions of the Beatles' I Am The Walrus and the Ashford/ ... (read more)

Report this review (#34947) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Yes this album rocks, and it is very enjoyable (and easy listening!) but it's only a cover album with nothing special. It is a tribute to several great bands of the past, like The Who, Free, Jethro Tull and Procol Harum. I say "only" a cover album because the songs are too similar to the origi ... (read more)

Report this review (#34945) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album rocks! I usually don't like cover tunes but they do an incredible job on this. Tommy Shaw kicks it with One Way Out and Summer in the City. JY pulls off a Jethro Tull song (Locomotive Breath), that even Tull would be proud of. Keep going guys, you rule! ... (read more)

Report this review (#34944) | Posted by | Saturday, May 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one great rock CD. I never thought a cover CD could be soooo good. I bought in yesterday and have listened to it about 8 times so far. This morning I read that 10 songs from this CD have entered the album rock charts of Mediabase this week! That has to be a new record and shows the pow ... (read more)

Report this review (#34943) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars So Styx was coming out with a cd covering other bands tunes.. they are a great group.. can they pull it off? Yes they Can! Wow, what a great collection of music. Songs were carefully chosen to feature each singers voice. Somes songs were very familiar and some were new to my ears.. but one ... (read more)

Report this review (#34942) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Big Bang Theory "