BIG BANG THEORY

Studio Album, released in 2005

1. I Am The Walrus
2. I Can See For Miles
3. Can't Find My Way Home
4. It Don't Make Sense (You Can't Make Peace)
5. I Don't Need No Doctor

- Lawrence Gowan / vocals, keyboards
- Todd Sucherman / drums
- Ricky Phillips / bass guitar, backing vocals

CD New Door Records / CD Frontiers Records FR CD 246

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Big Bang Theory Music

Audio Fidelity 2014
Kilroy Was HereKilroy Was Here
CornerstoneCornerstone
A&M 1990
STYX~Mr Roboto / Snowblind~Near Mint 1983 Rock 45 on Atlantic US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
Styx~Sing For The Day/Renegade~Rock 45 on A+M US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h
8 Track Tape Cartridge Lot - STYX - Cornerstone Best Of Styx & Pieces of Eight US $12.95 [0 bids]
Big Daddy Soundtrack: Rufus Wainwright, Sheryl Crow, Styx, Limp Bizkit, etc. US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX, KILROY WAS HERE - LP RECORD US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Styx-Pieces Of Eight LP, Canadian, Used VG,Gold Vinyl, Gatefold cover. US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
styx kilroy soundtrack US $8.00 [0 bids]
STYX - Crystal Ball (1976) NM LP Vinyl US $4.99 [0 bids]
6 CLASSIC ROCK LP's NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE, STYX, BILLY SQUIER, SCOTT WILK & US $10.00 [0 bids]
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $1.75 [0 bids]
VARIOUS ARTISTS - A&M Monthly Sampler July+August (1995) Promo CD - Clapton,Styx US $2.99 [0 bids]
Styx 70s ROCK 45 Borrowed Time Edited / Album Versions US $8.98 Buy It Now 2h 8m
TKO LET IT ROLL LP FIRST PRESSING 1979 CUT OUT RARE HTF OOP STYX JOURNEY DIO US $8.00 [0 bids]
Styx - Grand Illusion [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Styx - Caught In The Act Live - 1984 VG+ PROMO CUT OUT ORIGINAL OOP ASIA GENESIS US $7.00 [0 bids]
STYX / BOAT ON THE RIVER 45 w/Picture Sheet 7inch Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Extended Versions by Styx (CD, Feb-2000, BMG Special Products) US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
10 song EXTENDED VERSIONS/LIVE by STYX hard rock NEW CD US $7.89 Buy It Now 2h 37m
STYX 7'' VINYL, A&M 1980, 2300-S Lights/Best of times US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 49m
JAMES YOUNG GROUP Raised By Wolves RARE CD AOR Styx US $23.99 Buy It Now 2h 53m
NM LP~STYX~Lady~[ RCA Issue]~Shrink~ US $6.97 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Styx - Pieces Of Eight [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Styx LP's Lot Of 3 US $6.00 [0 bids]
Rock 45 STYX Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man) on A&M US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Styx World: Live 2001- Styx CD 2001 Sanctuary European edition Made in UK US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Styx - Borrowed Time(Album & Edited Versions) Promo 7" 45 RPM Vinyl Record -1979 US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 31m
STYX EQUINOX A & M 1975 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Styx Cornerstone 1979 A&M Records Vinyl Record Album Lp US $15.97 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Awesome STYX Pieces of Eight Gold Vinyl LP Record Gatefold 1978 SP 4724 A US $18.00 [0 bids]
2 LP Lot Supertramp "Breakfast In America" & Styx "Grand Illusion" in Shrink US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Styx "Don't Let It End" 45rpm PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY, 1983, VG+ condition US $2.85 Buy It Now 4h 7m
STYX "Styx II" LP 1973 Wooden Nickel Records WNS-1012 US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 19m
STYX - CRYSTAL BALL [CD NEW] US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Styx ; Caught In The Act Live on LP US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Styx - Paradise Theatre LP Gatefold Etched LP SP-3719 US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 32m
STYX : CORNERSTONE. Cassette Tape. US $4.75 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
5h
SHAW, TOMMY - AMBITION - ROCK CANDY COLLECTOR'S EDITION CD - SEALED / STYX US $23.99 [0 bids]
5h
Cyclorama by Styx (CD, Feb-2003, Sanctuary (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
STYX the grand illusion LP 1977 original A&M SP-4637 poster lyrics NO BAR CODE US $9.99 [0 bids]
STYX lot 3xLP mr roboto KILROY WAS HERE paradise theatre PIECES OF EIGHT US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH outlaws STYX michael stanley HALL & OATES robert gordon POCO LP SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
STYX Paradise Theater LP EX Cool Etched Vinyl US $9.99 [0 bids]
Extended Versions by Styx (CD)- New US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Set of 3 STYX Records, 7" 45 RPM US $2.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Styx I (Vinyl, 1980, re-release of 1972 original) VG US $3.99 [0 bids]
Cornerstone by Styx (Cassette, May-1984, A&M Records) US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 29m
STYX Equinox 8 track tape 1975 Original A&M Records US $3.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Paradise Theater [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 34m
STYX - REPPOO / Japan LP / OBI / 1981 / Record US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
STYX SINGLE MADE IN PORTUGAL 45 PS 7 - TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS - US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
Rock 45 STYX Lorelei on A&M US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Styx - Classics, Vol. 15 CD (Oct-1990, A&M) US $1.99 Buy It Now 6h 3m
1980 - STYX - Cornerstone - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $15.34 Buy It Now 6h 8m
RIVER STYX Reissue lp US $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 26m
#33 Lot 4 LPs-Pete Townshend empty glass-2 Bob Seger like a rock US $8.95 Buy It Now 6h 27m
STYX Japan 1983 PROMO 7"45 MR.ROBOT with PROMO CUSTOM Sleeve US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 29m
STYX Japan 1980 PROMO 7"45 NOTHING EVER GOES AS PLANNED with PROMO CUSTOM Sleeve US $25.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
Styx - The Grand Illusion (Vinyl, 1977) VG US $2.99 [0 bids]
Styx, Whitney Houston, Montel Jordan, Gin Blossoms U.S. PROMO cd - Hit Trax 1996 US $8.78 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Greatest Hits by Styx CD 1995, A&M digitally remastered Babe Come Sail Away US $1.75 [3 bids]
STYX - Paradise Theater - 1980 - CD - CD-3240 US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX - PARADISE GALA PREMIERE / A&M RECORDS CDN LP MINT US $19.95 Buy It Now 7h
STYX Japan 1980 PROMO NM 7"45 TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS with PROMO CUSTOM Sleeve US $25.99 Buy It Now 7h 8m
Styx Sing For The Day 45 RPM 7", Good US $1.50 [0 bids]
Styx 5 Lp Lot S/T, Cornerstone, Grand Illusion ( gold vinyl), Equinox, Pieces of US $29.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
STYX Japan 1979 PROMO 7"45 BOAT ON THE RIVER US $25.99 Buy It Now 7h 15m
Styx - Everything All The Time - U.S. PROMO cd RARE! US $9.98 Buy It Now 7h 17m
STYX Japan 1978 NM 7"45 I'M O.K. US $39.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m
Hard Rock CHRISTMAS 2012 Pink Floyd Kinks BOSTON Ac/DC QUEEN Styx TULL 4 CD US $19.99 [0 bids]
Styx New CD-HAND SIGNED AUTOGRAPHS OF 5 MEMBERS OF STYX,SHAW,C US $30.99 [0 bids]
STYX Japan 1983 PROMO NM 7"45 DON'T LET IT END US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 28m
STYX "Classics - Volume 15" A&M CD-2513/BMG Direct (CD,1987) US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 30m
STYX Tape Cassette Single LOVE IS THE RITUAL 1990 A&M Records of Canada US $8.34 Buy It Now 7h 31m
STYX Japan 1984 PROMO NM 7"45 MUSIC TIME US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
STYX Tape Cassette CORNERSTONE 1979 A&M Records USA US $8.33 Buy It Now 7h 33m
Pieces of Eight by Styx CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 7h 49m
BEST OF 1980:20TH CENTURY MASTERS[DIANA ROSS,STYX,DEVO,DONNA SUMMER,COMMODORES+] US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 52m
STYX The Grand Illusion vinyl LP 1977 w/POSTER US $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 53m
Styx Cornerstone Vinyl Record Album 1979 Used US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX Man of Miracles vinyl LP 1974 Wooden Nickel US $11.95 Buy It Now 7h 56m
Styx - Cornerstone - Cassette US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 13m
Rock 45 STYX Don't Let It End on A&M US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 20m
STYX "BEST OF STYX" RCA VICTOR RECORDS STEREO AFLS-3116 EX/EX US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 20m
STYX CAUGHT IN THE ACT LIVE LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 25m
STYX : Greatest Hits (CD, Aug-1995, A&M (USA))ROCK US $0.99 [0 bids]
RADIO SHOW: JUKEBOX EXPOSION #205 RUSH, SUPERTRAMP, CLASH, WHO, IAN THOMAS, STY US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Styx 3 LP Lot, Pieces of Eight, Paradise Theatre, Cornerstone US $4.99 [0 bids]
5 RECORDS 45s STYX RENEGADE ,MR ROBOTO , BEST OF TIMES, BABE TOO MUCH TIME ON US $8.00 Buy It Now 8h 46m
Styx Renegade b/w Sing For The Day on A&M Records #2110-S 45-rpm Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
Styx - "Pieces Of Eight" 1978 gatefold Vinyl LP, A&M Records, SP 4724 NM! US $14.88 Buy It Now 8h 49m
20 Classic Rock lp's All VG++ Foghat,Styx,Robert Plant, Rod Stewart,Moody Blues+ US $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 55m
Styx Vinyl LP Lot: Paradise Theater & Pieces of Eight VG play tested! US $6.99 Buy It Now 9h 6m
STYX: "THE GRAND ILLUSION" by Styx (CD, 1977, A&M (USA)) US $5.72 Buy It Now 9h 21m
DAMN YANKEES-Silence Is Broken-TED NUGENT(Amboy Dukes)TOMMY SHAW-Styx-SINGLE/ss US $2.99 Buy It Now 9h 35m
Paradise Theater by Styx (Cassette, Oct-1990, A&M Records) US $1.99 [0 bids]
RADIO SHOW: JUKEBOX EXPOSION #210 STARSHIP, STYX, LEE DORSEY, CASTAWAYS, WHO US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 56m
The Grand Illusion by Styx CD US $6.00 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Extended Versions by Styx (CD, Jan-2000, BMG Special Products) US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Snowblind - mr Roboto Styx A & M 2525 US $2.97 [0 bids]

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Big Bang Theory ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(18%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(18%)

STYX Big Bang Theory reviews

Review by Gatot
2 stars What do you expect from a tribute album? The old and classic tunes performed differently by a band / artist who has its own musical identity? That's at least what I expect to happen, really. A good example of tribute is Esperanto delivering "Eleanor Rigby" where the music was totally rearranged differently in which you cannot identify at first part on what song the band was trying to deliver. This version by Esperanto is I think the best arrangement so far (my view) on Eleanor Rigby. The second best is the one performed by Indonesian band God Bless in their debut album in 1976. Another good example of tribute is Genesis' "Back In The New York City" rearranged and performed by Kevin Gilbert in "Supper's Ready" tribute CD.

STYX with this tribute album does not show the way I expect. First, there is no much different from the original version. Take example the opening track "I Am The Walrus" it does not sound different from The Beatles version, even it sounds worse. The other track is "Salty Dog" by Procol Harum (thanks GOD .. I've seen so many excellent reviews about Procol Harum by colleague collaborator Martin Vengadesan today - thank, mate!) which is not performed better than original recording. Second, this line- up of STYX does not carry the soul of Styx music I have heard in years. It's probably the unique vocal of Dennis De Young who is missing in this line-up. In a nutshell, I am not impressed at all with this album. It seems to me that this one is only released for commercial reason or probably a snob following RUSH who released "Feedback" that contained tribute to the legends as well.

However, there are good tracks that I can see it's worth listening to. The most rewarding one is the last track "Blue Collar Man" - the band's own song which has been completely rearranged and it sounds much better than the original version. If ypu ask me about the whole CD, this last track is the only one that intrigues me to have a spin. It's wonderfully rearranged! The other one worth listening to is Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath". Even though the arrangement is good but it does not show the soul of Styx music. This is different with the same song performed by Germany's power metal hero Helloween where they perform with the soul of the band.

How can I recommend you about this CD? Don't buy it. You'd better borrow your friend's CD collection. Unless, you are a completionist who wants to get a full collection of Styx album. In that case, you do not need to read my review at all. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#43611) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 21, 2005

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars Normally don't care for tribute albums, because it's an excuse for some labels to keep the bands from their rooster in activity when they are not able to release own material, but when a band like STYX dares to make a tribute to the artists that influenced them and play songs of 13 different artists with different styles, then is something worth to listen.

Before buying the album, came to Prog Archives and read the reviews, most of them talk about a less than average album, and complain about Dennis De Young not being in the band, I must say I don't miss Dennis at all, he is a great composer, but also responsible for some of the worst tracks as "Babe" or "Mister Robotto" and Lawrence Gowan is a great performer with a better voice.

So a few days ago decided to ignore the bad reviews and bought "The Big Bang Theory" and not disappointed at all, of course there are weaker songs, being that I don't expect anybody to play HENDRIX music just like he did, but STYX shows respect for the authors and adds some of their unique style.

Normally I review each and every track, but being that we are talking about covers, of well known songs, I will mention the ones that impressed me more:

The first one that caught my attention is "I Can See for Miles" being that they don't try to re- create the style of THE WHO, something too hard to do, but instead they add the complex chorals something in which STYX are champions and make an interesting track to listen.

Trying to recreate a song by a supergroup as "BLIND FAITH" is always a hard task, specially when the original singer is so unique as Steve Winwood, so instead of searching for a more similar ranged voice as James Young, the band went with Tommy Shaw, one of the few vocalists that gets better with the years, he's so different that nobody will compare them, and the whole band does a great job.

"A Salty Dog" has never been among my favourite tracks by PROCOL HARUM, but loved STYX'S version being that the entrance with Lawrence Gowan in the vocals is delightful and the guy has a better voice than Dennis who always sounded to nasal to my ears. The orchestration is wonderful and JY'S guitar is precise and if we add Todd Sucherman in the drums, they hit the nail right in the head.

"Locomotive Breath" is simply fantastic and "James Young" in the vocals is the perfect choice if you want to do a respectful tribute, the guy really adds everything you need to perform one of the best JETHRO TULL songe ever, being that making radical changes would be a sacrilege, very good version.

"Blue Collar Man" has always been a classic by STYX, but this slower version is one of the best, the details can be appreciated more, Tommy Shaw in the lead, supported by Lawrence Gowan and the whole band adding the trademark chorus are fantastic, the jazzy piano is the cherry on the top of the pie, strong closer.

Despite all the negative opinions I read, loved this album from start to end, its' always a pleasure to listen well known hits with the touch of STYX

Excellent addition for any Rock or Prog music collection so can't rate it with less tthan four stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#232159) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009

2 stars Thing is, this might be worth three, but only a few of these songs are essential. I mean, Styx did make onto 'progarchives', not that they were ever really a prog band. Maybe labels like 'art-rock' or 'semi-prog' would be appropriate, but the point is they have always experimented and tried ot ... (read more)

Report this review (#285479) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, June 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars At first, I hadn't planned to buy this album. I figured, it wasn't the original line-up of Styx, with Dennis and the Panozzo brothers, and it was just covers anyway, so it would be nothing special. Then, just two days ago, me and a friend were hanging around in a local music store, waiting unt ... (read more)

Report this review (#66166) | Posted by | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must admit, I had lost interest through the years with STYX, only because they have not been do newer material. But now that they have released an excellent collection old cover tunes I must say, I was blown away. These guys have always been a tight band. Excellent vocals, harmony, sound ... (read more)

Report this review (#49924) | Posted by | Monday, October 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I have to agree with Chris above. I'm also a longtime Styx fan since I was in elementary school in the 70's. The songs on Big Bang Theory are well-done, but you really have to have an appreciation of Styx as a fan to really enjoy the album. Otherwise, all you have are slick renditons of classic t ... (read more)

Report this review (#46955) | Posted by | Saturday, September 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You people have got to be kidding me. I don't know how anyone can say this album is great. There are only two members of the real Styx and not one of the founding members is included. It is insulting to me that JY and Tommy Shaw can call themselves styx without THE voice of styx, Dennis DeYoung ... (read more)

Report this review (#34951) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A hard rocking album, but don't look at it as a Styx album. Without Dennis DeYoung doing the lead vocals, it ain't Styx!! No offense to Tommy Shaw or the others, they are good in their own right. Enjoy this album as a great example of progessive Rock. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34950) | Posted by | Sunday, May 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is great as far as covers go. Styx didnt simply remake the songs to sound just as they did when performed by the original artists. They didnt ruin the songs by changing them too much either. This album is proof that Styx is quite talented musically and the songs on it are just classic. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34948) | Posted by | Monday, May 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This Album Rocks! Not only is the first Styx CD with Bassist Ricky Phillips on it, You don't even have to be a fan of Styx to get the album. JY does an amazing Jethro Tull on Locomotive Breath. Gowan is a real crowd pleaser with the new versions of the Beatles' I Am The Walrus and the Ashford/ ... (read more)

Report this review (#34947) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Yes this album rocks, and it is very enjoyable (and easy listening!) but it's only a cover album with nothing special. It is a tribute to several great bands of the past, like The Who, Free, Jethro Tull and Procol Harum. I say "only" a cover album because the songs are too similar to the origi ... (read more)

Report this review (#34945) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album rocks! I usually don't like cover tunes but they do an incredible job on this. Tommy Shaw kicks it with One Way Out and Summer in the City. JY pulls off a Jethro Tull song (Locomotive Breath), that even Tull would be proud of. Keep going guys, you rule! ... (read more)

Report this review (#34944) | Posted by | Saturday, May 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one great rock CD. I never thought a cover CD could be soooo good. I bought in yesterday and have listened to it about 8 times so far. This morning I read that 10 songs from this CD have entered the album rock charts of Mediabase this week! That has to be a new record and shows the pow ... (read more)

Report this review (#34943) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars So Styx was coming out with a cd covering other bands tunes.. they are a great group.. can they pull it off? Yes they Can! Wow, what a great collection of music. Songs were carefully chosen to feature each singers voice. Somes songs were very familiar and some were new to my ears.. but one ... (read more)

Report this review (#34942) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Big Bang Theory "