BIG BANG THEORY

Studio Album, released in 2005

1. I Am The Walrus
2. I Can See For Miles
3. Can't Find My Way Home
4. It Don't Make Sense (You Can't Make Peace)
5. I Don't Need No Doctor

- Lawrence Gowan / vocals, keyboards
- Todd Sucherman / drums
- Ricky Phillips / bass guitar, backing vocals

CD New Door Records / CD Frontiers Records FR CD 246

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Big Bang Theory Music

Big Bang TheoryBig Bang Theory
New Door Records 2005
Big Bang Theory by Styx [Music CD]Big Bang Theory by Styx [Music CD]
New Door Records
Big Bang Theory Styx CD 2005 New Door Records FREE SHIP IN USA BRAND NEW SEALED USD $7.99 [0 bids]
USD $10.39 Buy It Now
Big Bang Theory by Styx (CD, May-2005, New Door Records) USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Big Bang Theory CD(2005) AOR rock USD $1.57 [0 bids]
STYX - BIG BANG THEORY CD SLIPCASE Frontiers Records 2005 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
VINTAGE MUSIC CD...STYX...BIG BANG THEORY...EX USED COND USD $4.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Big Bang Theory by Styx (CD, May-2005, New Door Records) USD $9.99 Buy It Now 8 days
STYX cd BIG BANG THEORY free US shipping USD $10.00 Buy It Now 9 days
CD-Styx-Big Bang Theory hard rock-they do 60's covers USD $7.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Big Bang Theory by Styx (CD, May-2005, New Door Records) USD $6.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Styx - Big Bang Theory CD2005 NEW SEALED USD $3.92 Buy It Now 10 days
Styx - Big Bang Theory (2005) cd new USD $3.13 Buy It Now 12 days
STYX**BIG BANG THEORY**CD USD $6.50 Buy It Now 16 days
STYX Big Bang Theory CD - Ukrainian Rec. Edition - UKRAINE USD $14.90 Buy It Now 18 days
STYX Big Bang Theory (Official 2005 US UMe label 14-track promo/SECURITY CD) USD $9.00 Buy It Now 21 days
STYX - BIG BANG THEORY [STYX] [8024391024720] - NEW CD USD $6.94 Buy It Now 22 days
@ CD Styx - Big Bang Theory AOR SS SLIPCASE FRONTIERS 05 TOMMY SHAW USD $9.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Styx - Big Bang Theory CD TOMMY SHAW DAMN YANKEES REO SPEEDWAGON DENNIS DEYOUNG USD $6.27 Buy It Now 26 days
Styx - Big Bang Theory (CD 2005) NEW/SEALED - 24HR - POST!! - FREE UK P USD $7.53 Buy It Now 26 days
Styx - Big Bang Theory (IMPORT)(The Great ROCK Songbook) (CD2005) - 24HR POST! USD $9.42 Buy It Now 27 days
Styx Big Bang Theory CD NEW SEALED 2005 I Am The Walrus/I Can See For Miles+ USD $7.85 Buy It Now 27 days
Styx Inside Big Bang Theory RARE Radio PROMO Album USD $10.99 Buy It Now 29 days
STYX - BIG BANG THEORY [STYX] [602498808610] - NEW CD USD $9.86 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Big Bang Theory ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(18%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(18%)

STYX Big Bang Theory reviews

Review by Gatot
2 stars What do you expect from a tribute album? The old and classic tunes performed differently by a band / artist who has its own musical identity? That's at least what I expect to happen, really. A good example of tribute is Esperanto delivering "Eleanor Rigby" where the music was totally rearranged differently in which you cannot identify at first part on what song the band was trying to deliver. This version by Esperanto is I think the best arrangement so far (my view) on Eleanor Rigby. The second best is the one performed by Indonesian band God Bless in their debut album in 1976. Another good example of tribute is Genesis' "Back In The New York City" rearranged and performed by Kevin Gilbert in "Supper's Ready" tribute CD.

STYX with this tribute album does not show the way I expect. First, there is no much different from the original version. Take example the opening track "I Am The Walrus" it does not sound different from The Beatles version, even it sounds worse. The other track is "Salty Dog" by Procol Harum (thanks GOD .. I've seen so many excellent reviews about Procol Harum by colleague collaborator Martin Vengadesan today - thank, mate!) which is not performed better than original recording. Second, this line- up of STYX does not carry the soul of Styx music I have heard in years. It's probably the unique vocal of Dennis De Young who is missing in this line-up. In a nutshell, I am not impressed at all with this album. It seems to me that this one is only released for commercial reason or probably a snob following RUSH who released "Feedback" that contained tribute to the legends as well.

However, there are good tracks that I can see it's worth listening to. The most rewarding one is the last track "Blue Collar Man" - the band's own song which has been completely rearranged and it sounds much better than the original version. If ypu ask me about the whole CD, this last track is the only one that intrigues me to have a spin. It's wonderfully rearranged! The other one worth listening to is Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath". Even though the arrangement is good but it does not show the soul of Styx music. This is different with the same song performed by Germany's power metal hero Helloween where they perform with the soul of the band.

How can I recommend you about this CD? Don't buy it. You'd better borrow your friend's CD collection. Unless, you are a completionist who wants to get a full collection of Styx album. In that case, you do not need to read my review at all. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#43611) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 21, 2005

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars Normally don't care for tribute albums, because it's an excuse for some labels to keep the bands from their rooster in activity when they are not able to release own material, but when a band like STYX dares to make a tribute to the artists that influenced them and play songs of 13 different artists with different styles, then is something worth to listen.

Before buying the album, came to Prog Archives and read the reviews, most of them talk about a less than average album, and complain about Dennis De Young not being in the band, I must say I don't miss Dennis at all, he is a great composer, but also responsible for some of the worst tracks as "Babe" or "Mister Robotto" and Lawrence Gowan is a great performer with a better voice.

So a few days ago decided to ignore the bad reviews and bought "The Big Bang Theory" and not disappointed at all, of course there are weaker songs, being that I don't expect anybody to play HENDRIX music just like he did, but STYX shows respect for the authors and adds some of their unique style.

Normally I review each and every track, but being that we are talking about covers, of well known songs, I will mention the ones that impressed me more:

The first one that caught my attention is "I Can See for Miles" being that they don't try to re- create the style of THE WHO, something too hard to do, but instead they add the complex chorals something in which STYX are champions and make an interesting track to listen.

Trying to recreate a song by a supergroup as "BLIND FAITH" is always a hard task, specially when the original singer is so unique as Steve Winwood, so instead of searching for a more similar ranged voice as James Young, the band went with Tommy Shaw, one of the few vocalists that gets better with the years, he's so different that nobody will compare them, and the whole band does a great job.

"A Salty Dog" has never been among my favourite tracks by PROCOL HARUM, but loved STYX'S version being that the entrance with Lawrence Gowan in the vocals is delightful and the guy has a better voice than Dennis who always sounded to nasal to my ears. The orchestration is wonderful and JY'S guitar is precise and if we add Todd Sucherman in the drums, they hit the nail right in the head.

"Locomotive Breath" is simply fantastic and "James Young" in the vocals is the perfect choice if you want to do a respectful tribute, the guy really adds everything you need to perform one of the best JETHRO TULL songe ever, being that making radical changes would be a sacrilege, very good version.

"Blue Collar Man" has always been a classic by STYX, but this slower version is one of the best, the details can be appreciated more, Tommy Shaw in the lead, supported by Lawrence Gowan and the whole band adding the trademark chorus are fantastic, the jazzy piano is the cherry on the top of the pie, strong closer.

Despite all the negative opinions I read, loved this album from start to end, its' always a pleasure to listen well known hits with the touch of STYX

Excellent addition for any Rock or Prog music collection so can't rate it with less tthan four stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#232159) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009

2 stars Thing is, this might be worth three, but only a few of these songs are essential. I mean, Styx did make onto 'progarchives', not that they were ever really a prog band. Maybe labels like 'art-rock' or 'semi-prog' would be appropriate, but the point is they have always experimented and tried ot ... (read more)

Report this review (#285479) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, June 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars At first, I hadn't planned to buy this album. I figured, it wasn't the original line-up of Styx, with Dennis and the Panozzo brothers, and it was just covers anyway, so it would be nothing special. Then, just two days ago, me and a friend were hanging around in a local music store, waiting unt ... (read more)

Report this review (#66166) | Posted by | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must admit, I had lost interest through the years with STYX, only because they have not been do newer material. But now that they have released an excellent collection old cover tunes I must say, I was blown away. These guys have always been a tight band. Excellent vocals, harmony, sound ... (read more)

Report this review (#49924) | Posted by | Monday, October 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I have to agree with Chris above. I'm also a longtime Styx fan since I was in elementary school in the 70's. The songs on Big Bang Theory are well-done, but you really have to have an appreciation of Styx as a fan to really enjoy the album. Otherwise, all you have are slick renditons of classic t ... (read more)

Report this review (#46955) | Posted by | Saturday, September 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You people have got to be kidding me. I don't know how anyone can say this album is great. There are only two members of the real Styx and not one of the founding members is included. It is insulting to me that JY and Tommy Shaw can call themselves styx without THE voice of styx, Dennis DeYoung ... (read more)

Report this review (#34951) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A hard rocking album, but don't look at it as a Styx album. Without Dennis DeYoung doing the lead vocals, it ain't Styx!! No offense to Tommy Shaw or the others, they are good in their own right. Enjoy this album as a great example of progessive Rock. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34950) | Posted by | Sunday, May 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is great as far as covers go. Styx didnt simply remake the songs to sound just as they did when performed by the original artists. They didnt ruin the songs by changing them too much either. This album is proof that Styx is quite talented musically and the songs on it are just classic. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34948) | Posted by | Monday, May 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This Album Rocks! Not only is the first Styx CD with Bassist Ricky Phillips on it, You don't even have to be a fan of Styx to get the album. JY does an amazing Jethro Tull on Locomotive Breath. Gowan is a real crowd pleaser with the new versions of the Beatles' I Am The Walrus and the Ashford/ ... (read more)

Report this review (#34947) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Yes this album rocks, and it is very enjoyable (and easy listening!) but it's only a cover album with nothing special. It is a tribute to several great bands of the past, like The Who, Free, Jethro Tull and Procol Harum. I say "only" a cover album because the songs are too similar to the origi ... (read more)

Report this review (#34945) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album rocks! I usually don't like cover tunes but they do an incredible job on this. Tommy Shaw kicks it with One Way Out and Summer in the City. JY pulls off a Jethro Tull song (Locomotive Breath), that even Tull would be proud of. Keep going guys, you rule! ... (read more)

Report this review (#34944) | Posted by | Saturday, May 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one great rock CD. I never thought a cover CD could be soooo good. I bought in yesterday and have listened to it about 8 times so far. This morning I read that 10 songs from this CD have entered the album rock charts of Mediabase this week! That has to be a new record and shows the pow ... (read more)

Report this review (#34943) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars So Styx was coming out with a cd covering other bands tunes.. they are a great group.. can they pull it off? Yes they Can! Wow, what a great collection of music. Songs were carefully chosen to feature each singers voice. Somes songs were very familiar and some were new to my ears.. but one ... (read more)

Report this review (#34942) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Big Bang Theory "