BIG BANG THEORY

Studio Album, released in 2005

1. I Am The Walrus
2. I Can See For Miles
3. Can't Find My Way Home
4. It Don't Make Sense (You Can't Make Peace)
5. I Don't Need No Doctor

- Lawrence Gowan / vocals, keyboards
- Todd Sucherman / drums
- Ricky Phillips / bass guitar, backing vocals

CD New Door Records / CD Frontiers Records FR CD 246

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Big Bang Theory Music

1h
STYX -CORNERSTONE -ALBUM US $5.00 [0 bids]
Styx Icon CD US $2.99 [0 bids]
Record/Vinyl/ Styx Pieces of eight. US $2.99 [0 bids]
1979 STYX Why Me / Lights 7" 45 rpm A&M 2206-S NM Vinyl US $2.40 Buy It Now 1h 12m
STYX PIECES OF EIGHT VINYL LP A&M US $3.50 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Vintage 8 Track Tape A&M Records Styx "Cornerstone" Rock Pop US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX - Pieces of Eight (LP, 1978) Very Good+ US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
STYX - Crystal Ball (LP, 1976) Very Good+ US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 21m
1977 - STYX - The Grand Illusion (w/ poster insert)- A&M Records - SP-4637 US $5.99 [0 bids]
1976 - Styx - Crystal Ball - LP Record - A&M Records - SP-4604 US $5.99 [0 bids]
STYX Kilroy was here 12inch LP US $0.05 [0 bids]
STYX: CORNERSTONE CASSETTE TAPE US $1.89 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Styx The Grand Illusion Lp Record Album e1 A&M #SP-4637 US $1.99 [0 bids]
styx paradise theatre record US $2.99 [0 bids]
3 ALBUMS LP RECORDS STYX GRAND ILLUSION KILROY WAS HERE EQUINOX US $9.99 [0 bids]
Greatest Hits by Styx (CD, Aug-1995, A&M (USA) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Radio Show: FLASHBACK! 2/26/01 JIMI HENDRIX, SUGARLOAF, LOVERBOY, STYX, DONOVAN US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
STYX - Paradise THEATHER RARE AFRICAN LP Laser ETCHED!! FREE SHIPPING US $75.00 Buy It Now 1h 55m
1980's ROCK CD: STYX - PARADISE THEATER (1980) TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS Best O US $2.00 [0 bids]
6 -- 45rpm record lot Damn Yankees - Ted Nugent Night Ranger Styx Tommy Shaw US $10.98 [0 bids]
2h
Cornerstone by Styx (Cassette, May-1979, A&M Records) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Paradise Theater by Styx (Cassette, Oct-1990, A&M Records) US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Building the Bridge by REO Speedwagon (CD 1996, Castle Music) Rock, Styx, LQQK! US $0.01 [0 bids]
STYX...PARADISE THEATER...EXCELLENT CONDITION...# SP-3719 US $5.09 Buy It Now 2h 12m
SINISTER original CD "Cross the Styx" 1992 on Nuclear blast US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
STYX - PIECES OF EIGHT - A&M RECORDS LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Boogaloo by Nazareth (CD 1999, CMC) Heavy Metal, Hair of the Dog, Rock, Styx US $0.01 [0 bids]
Sinister - Diabolical Summoning/Cross the Styx cd rare digipak US $28.00 [5 bids]
HARD ROCK ESSENTIALS 70s styx PETER FRAMPTON free ROD STEWART allman b RARE TAPE US $3.38 [0 bids]
STYX - PIECES OF EIGHT - A&M RECORDS LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Styx- Styx II- used 8 Track tape- nice condition US $3.00 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Styx Foreigner Don Felder (Eagles) THE SOUNDTRACK OF SUMMER cd Hotel California US $3.99 [0 bids]
1984 "NM Wax" ??? Sample Tommy Shaw Girls With Guns AMP-28107 Japan Debut Styx US $14.39 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Styx cornerstone LP Record US $5.99 [0 bids]
STYX THE GRAND ILLUSION CASSETTE US $25.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
THE SOUNDTRACK OF SUMMER Very Best Of Foreigner & Styx CD+1 Ships from SWEDEN US $13.49 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Pre owned STYX "THE GRAND ILLUSION" LP Vinyl Record VG++ EXCELLENT CONDITION US $13.49 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Pre owned STYX "PARADISE THEATER" LP Vinyl Record VG++ EXCELLENT CONDITION US $13.49 Buy It Now 5h 32m
DENNIS DEYOUNG BOOMCHILD 1988 VERY RARE OOP CD Styx US $87.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
STYX too much time on my hands JAPAN 7" AMP-719 US $6.29 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Edge of the Century by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $1.95 [0 bids]
STYX / II LP w/ Insert Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $15.99 Buy It Now 6h 33m
Styx, The Grand Illusion' (Audio Fidelity 24K Gold CD) factory sealed AFZ067 US $34.50 [6 bids]
STYX - Equinox ~ VINYL LP + INSERT US $9.82 Buy It Now 7h 38m
STYX - PIECES OF EIGHT, VINYL GATEFOLD LP RECORD US $5.99 [0 bids]
Styx 10" x 8" Photograph no 1 US $4.92 Buy It Now 8h 24m
Styx Pieces Of Eight 2009 Japan Mini LP SHM CD L/E NEW With Obi UICY-93922 HTF US $119.80 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Styx Paradise Theater 2009 Japan SHM CD L/E NEW With Obi UICY-93924 OOP HTF Rare US $79.80 Buy It Now 8h 42m
The Absolute Best Road Rock CD Free Nazareth Styx Lynyrd Skynyrd Steppenwolf BTO US $4.89 Buy It Now 8h 50m
Styx 7" vinyl - Mr. Roboto US $5.74 Buy It Now 9h 42m
Styx - Greatest Hits JAPAN CD 2001 16trk UICY-1513 US $13.99 Buy It Now 10h 4m
STYX-Cornerstone UK 9 Track LP A2 B2 Matrix EX Cond US $13.09 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Best Of Times: The Best - Styx CD Sealed ! New ! US $5.10 Buy It Now 10h 40m
STYX MR ROBOTO RARE 7" 45 SINGLE CLASSIC ROCK US $2.46 Buy It Now 10h 48m
Styx - Light Up - Promo - 45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Mademoiselle - Promo - 45 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx: Lorelei / Midnight Ride 7" 45 VG++ Canada A&M 1786-S US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 59m
Styx - Pieces of Eight - Org. 70's Vinyl Played Once - In Shrink - NM US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h
STYX - HITS FROM YESTERDAY & TODAY [090431846827] - NEW CD US $6.62 Buy It Now 11h 5m
Styx: Don't Let It End / Rockin' The Paradise 7" 45 NM Canada A&M 2543 US $3.99 Buy It Now 11h 7m
Styx: The Best Of Times / Lights 7" 45 NM Canada A&M 2300 US $3.99 Buy It Now 11h 7m
LAWRENCE GOWAN - BUT YOU CAN CALL ME LARRY (CD) Styx, Robert Fripp US $3.77 [0 bids]
Cornerstone by Styx Classic Rock 12" Vinyl LP Record w Sleeve Excellent Condtion US $1.62 [0 bids]
Styx The Grand Illusuion 1979 CRC Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED, POSTER, EXC US $17.60 Buy It Now 11h 32m
STYX KILROY WAS HERE CASSETTE TAPE LIGHTLY USED US $5.96 Buy It Now 11h 51m
Lot Of 32 Classic Rock Records LPs, 38 Special, Thorogood, Styx, Winwood, Etc. US $18.50 [5 bids]
Styx - Kilroy was Here (Vinyl, 1983) NM US $3.99 [0 bids]
STYX-PARADISE THEATRE-JAPAN MINI LP PLATINUM SHM-CD Ltd/Ed I50 US $42.50 Buy It Now 12h 25m
STYX GREATEST HITS. AWESOME C.D! US $3.00 [0 bids]
STYX-ORIGINAL INTERVIEW N PIC-21.2.1981-REO SPEEDWAGON US $3.03 [0 bids]
STYX-PARADISE THEATRE-JAPAN MINI LP SHM-SACD Ltd/Ed K25 US $48.99 Buy It Now 12h 30m
Dennis DeYoung Styx Desert Moon 1984 1st Sterling Press, NM, STUNNING SOUND! US $20.00 Buy It Now 12h 32m
STYX II VINYL LP RECORD WOODEN NICKEL WNS-1012 "Lady" US $6.95 Buy It Now 12h 41m
STYX...EQUINOX & BONUS SINGLE...(BABE & I'M O.K.) US $13.99 Buy It Now 12h 41m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $2.50 Buy It Now 12h 45m
STYX KILROY WAS HERE CASSETTE TAPE LIGHTLY USED US $4.49 [0 bids]
13h
STYX "BEST OF", LP, RARE! US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 11m
Styx The Grand Illusion lp,NO SPINDLE HOLE MARKS AT ALL ON THE LABELS,EXC. COND! US $11.95 Buy It Now 13h 14m
Styx - Styx II LP. BXLI 1012 US $2.50 [0 bids]
1984 ARENA ROCK PROMO Tommy Shaw Girls With Guns LP Singer From STYX SOLO DEMO US $2.99 [0 bids]
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) Artist:Styx US $9.95 [0 bids]
1978 NM, A&M, 12" LP, STYX, Spl Ltd Ed No.'d Picture "Disc Pieces of Eight" Shaw US $11.99 [0 bids]
Styx Pieces Of Eight Album US $7.99 Buy It Now 14h 2m
Styx, Babe / I'm O.K. US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX Paradise Theatre LP ETCHED DISC Rare! US $11.47 Buy It Now 14h 7m
1983 STYX High Time / Double Life 7" 45 rpm A&M AM-2568 NM Vinyl US $4.20 Buy It Now 14h 10m
Styx, Come Sail Away / Put Me On US $2.99 [0 bids]
Lot 2 Styx CDs ~ Paradise Theatre Gala Premiere & Styx Japan US $4.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Kilroy Was Here (100% Japanese w/ OBI) Hi Definition SHM-CD US $38.95 Buy It Now 14h 17m
STYX - PARADISE THEATER- MINI LP CD PROMO BOX NEW US $55.00 Buy It Now 14h 19m
Angel - Live Without A Net RARE ORIGINAL (Kiss, Legs Diamond, Montrose, Styx) US $16.37 Buy It Now 14h 35m
Best of Styx, Rare Mislabeled as David Bowie on 1 side US $32.00 Buy It Now 14h 43m
LP record 33 LMG123 STYX "THE GRAND ILLUSION" SP 4637 US $19.00 Buy It Now 14h 56m
Kilroy Was Here by Styx (Cassette, Feb-1983, A&M Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx LP Kilroy Was Here 1983 Mr. Roboto VG+/M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 59m
Styx Cornerstone Album US $4.99 Buy It Now 15h 3m
Styx Album set US $15.99 Buy It Now 15h 8m

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Big Bang Theory ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(18%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(18%)

STYX Big Bang Theory reviews

Review by Gatot
2 stars What do you expect from a tribute album? The old and classic tunes performed differently by a band / artist who has its own musical identity? That's at least what I expect to happen, really. A good example of tribute is Esperanto delivering "Eleanor Rigby" where the music was totally rearranged differently in which you cannot identify at first part on what song the band was trying to deliver. This version by Esperanto is I think the best arrangement so far (my view) on Eleanor Rigby. The second best is the one performed by Indonesian band God Bless in their debut album in 1976. Another good example of tribute is Genesis' "Back In The New York City" rearranged and performed by Kevin Gilbert in "Supper's Ready" tribute CD.

STYX with this tribute album does not show the way I expect. First, there is no much different from the original version. Take example the opening track "I Am The Walrus" it does not sound different from The Beatles version, even it sounds worse. The other track is "Salty Dog" by Procol Harum (thanks GOD .. I've seen so many excellent reviews about Procol Harum by colleague collaborator Martin Vengadesan today - thank, mate!) which is not performed better than original recording. Second, this line- up of STYX does not carry the soul of Styx music I have heard in years. It's probably the unique vocal of Dennis De Young who is missing in this line-up. In a nutshell, I am not impressed at all with this album. It seems to me that this one is only released for commercial reason or probably a snob following RUSH who released "Feedback" that contained tribute to the legends as well.

However, there are good tracks that I can see it's worth listening to. The most rewarding one is the last track "Blue Collar Man" - the band's own song which has been completely rearranged and it sounds much better than the original version. If ypu ask me about the whole CD, this last track is the only one that intrigues me to have a spin. It's wonderfully rearranged! The other one worth listening to is Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath". Even though the arrangement is good but it does not show the soul of Styx music. This is different with the same song performed by Germany's power metal hero Helloween where they perform with the soul of the band.

How can I recommend you about this CD? Don't buy it. You'd better borrow your friend's CD collection. Unless, you are a completionist who wants to get a full collection of Styx album. In that case, you do not need to read my review at all. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#43611) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 21, 2005

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars Normally don't care for tribute albums, because it's an excuse for some labels to keep the bands from their rooster in activity when they are not able to release own material, but when a band like STYX dares to make a tribute to the artists that influenced them and play songs of 13 different artists with different styles, then is something worth to listen.

Before buying the album, came to Prog Archives and read the reviews, most of them talk about a less than average album, and complain about Dennis De Young not being in the band, I must say I don't miss Dennis at all, he is a great composer, but also responsible for some of the worst tracks as "Babe" or "Mister Robotto" and Lawrence Gowan is a great performer with a better voice.

So a few days ago decided to ignore the bad reviews and bought "The Big Bang Theory" and not disappointed at all, of course there are weaker songs, being that I don't expect anybody to play HENDRIX music just like he did, but STYX shows respect for the authors and adds some of their unique style.

Normally I review each and every track, but being that we are talking about covers, of well known songs, I will mention the ones that impressed me more:

The first one that caught my attention is "I Can See for Miles" being that they don't try to re- create the style of THE WHO, something too hard to do, but instead they add the complex chorals something in which STYX are champions and make an interesting track to listen.

Trying to recreate a song by a supergroup as "BLIND FAITH" is always a hard task, specially when the original singer is so unique as Steve Winwood, so instead of searching for a more similar ranged voice as James Young, the band went with Tommy Shaw, one of the few vocalists that gets better with the years, he's so different that nobody will compare them, and the whole band does a great job.

"A Salty Dog" has never been among my favourite tracks by PROCOL HARUM, but loved STYX'S version being that the entrance with Lawrence Gowan in the vocals is delightful and the guy has a better voice than Dennis who always sounded to nasal to my ears. The orchestration is wonderful and JY'S guitar is precise and if we add Todd Sucherman in the drums, they hit the nail right in the head.

"Locomotive Breath" is simply fantastic and "James Young" in the vocals is the perfect choice if you want to do a respectful tribute, the guy really adds everything you need to perform one of the best JETHRO TULL songe ever, being that making radical changes would be a sacrilege, very good version.

"Blue Collar Man" has always been a classic by STYX, but this slower version is one of the best, the details can be appreciated more, Tommy Shaw in the lead, supported by Lawrence Gowan and the whole band adding the trademark chorus are fantastic, the jazzy piano is the cherry on the top of the pie, strong closer.

Despite all the negative opinions I read, loved this album from start to end, its' always a pleasure to listen well known hits with the touch of STYX

Excellent addition for any Rock or Prog music collection so can't rate it with less tthan four stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#232159) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009

2 stars Thing is, this might be worth three, but only a few of these songs are essential. I mean, Styx did make onto 'progarchives', not that they were ever really a prog band. Maybe labels like 'art-rock' or 'semi-prog' would be appropriate, but the point is they have always experimented and tried ot ... (read more)

Report this review (#285479) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, June 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars At first, I hadn't planned to buy this album. I figured, it wasn't the original line-up of Styx, with Dennis and the Panozzo brothers, and it was just covers anyway, so it would be nothing special. Then, just two days ago, me and a friend were hanging around in a local music store, waiting unt ... (read more)

Report this review (#66166) | Posted by | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must admit, I had lost interest through the years with STYX, only because they have not been do newer material. But now that they have released an excellent collection old cover tunes I must say, I was blown away. These guys have always been a tight band. Excellent vocals, harmony, sound ... (read more)

Report this review (#49924) | Posted by | Monday, October 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I have to agree with Chris above. I'm also a longtime Styx fan since I was in elementary school in the 70's. The songs on Big Bang Theory are well-done, but you really have to have an appreciation of Styx as a fan to really enjoy the album. Otherwise, all you have are slick renditons of classic t ... (read more)

Report this review (#46955) | Posted by | Saturday, September 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You people have got to be kidding me. I don't know how anyone can say this album is great. There are only two members of the real Styx and not one of the founding members is included. It is insulting to me that JY and Tommy Shaw can call themselves styx without THE voice of styx, Dennis DeYoung ... (read more)

Report this review (#34951) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A hard rocking album, but don't look at it as a Styx album. Without Dennis DeYoung doing the lead vocals, it ain't Styx!! No offense to Tommy Shaw or the others, they are good in their own right. Enjoy this album as a great example of progessive Rock. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34950) | Posted by | Sunday, May 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is great as far as covers go. Styx didnt simply remake the songs to sound just as they did when performed by the original artists. They didnt ruin the songs by changing them too much either. This album is proof that Styx is quite talented musically and the songs on it are just classic. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34948) | Posted by | Monday, May 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This Album Rocks! Not only is the first Styx CD with Bassist Ricky Phillips on it, You don't even have to be a fan of Styx to get the album. JY does an amazing Jethro Tull on Locomotive Breath. Gowan is a real crowd pleaser with the new versions of the Beatles' I Am The Walrus and the Ashford/ ... (read more)

Report this review (#34947) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Yes this album rocks, and it is very enjoyable (and easy listening!) but it's only a cover album with nothing special. It is a tribute to several great bands of the past, like The Who, Free, Jethro Tull and Procol Harum. I say "only" a cover album because the songs are too similar to the origi ... (read more)

Report this review (#34945) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album rocks! I usually don't like cover tunes but they do an incredible job on this. Tommy Shaw kicks it with One Way Out and Summer in the City. JY pulls off a Jethro Tull song (Locomotive Breath), that even Tull would be proud of. Keep going guys, you rule! ... (read more)

Report this review (#34944) | Posted by | Saturday, May 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one great rock CD. I never thought a cover CD could be soooo good. I bought in yesterday and have listened to it about 8 times so far. This morning I read that 10 songs from this CD have entered the album rock charts of Mediabase this week! That has to be a new record and shows the pow ... (read more)

Report this review (#34943) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars So Styx was coming out with a cd covering other bands tunes.. they are a great group.. can they pull it off? Yes they Can! Wow, what a great collection of music. Songs were carefully chosen to feature each singers voice. Somes songs were very familiar and some were new to my ears.. but one ... (read more)

Report this review (#34942) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Big Bang Theory "