BIG BANG THEORY

Studio Album, released in 2005

1. I Am The Walrus
2. I Can See For Miles
3. Can't Find My Way Home
4. It Don't Make Sense (You Can't Make Peace)
5. I Don't Need No Doctor

- Lawrence Gowan / vocals, keyboards
- Todd Sucherman / drums
- Ricky Phillips / bass guitar, backing vocals

CD New Door Records / CD Frontiers Records FR CD 246

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Big Bang Theory Music

EquinoxEquinox
CornerstoneCornerstone
Crystal BallCrystal Ball
A&M 1990
Styx, Vinyl LP A&M Records,1983, SP-3734, Kilroy Was Here US $5.99 Buy It Now 30m 46s
STYX "The Grand Illusion" A&M/CD-3223 (CD) US $6.99 Buy It Now 39m 19s
Greatest Hits by Styx (CD, Aug-1995, A&M (USA) US $3.00 [0 bids]
50m 12s
Classic Rock 8 Track Lot - Styx, Cheap Trick, REO Speedwagon, Asia US $19.99 [0 bids]
58m 2s
VINTAGE & CLASSIC STYX "PARADISE THEATER" STEREO 8 TRACK TAPE PLAYED AND TESTED US $4.99 [0 bids]
Greatest Hits by Styx (CD, Aug-1995, A&M (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
LP- STYX PARADISE THEATER **VG+ VINYL** **BEST OF TIMES** #K US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
The Grand Illusion by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
STYX "NM WAX" Kilroy Was Here AMP-28068 OBI LP AD2857 US $4.99 [0 bids]
STYX & THE C.Y.O. "ONE WITH EVERYTHING" 2006-OUT OF PRINT-STILL SEALED LIVE SHOW US $23.99 [0 bids]
The Grand Illusion by Styx(A&M...1977) VG LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
SHAW, TOMMY - AMBITION - ROCK CANDY COLLECTOR'S EDITION CD - SEALED / STYX US $23.99 [0 bids]
STYX RECORD LOT: GRAND ILLUSION / CORNERSTONE A&M RECORDS US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
STYX cornerstone USA SP-3711 | 13-1021-019 US $5.27 Buy It Now 1h 41m
STYX "Kilroy Was Here" CD, 1990 A&M (Compact Disc) w/ "Mr. Roboto" US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
STYX - CORNERSTONE - USED VINYL LP RECORD (1979 A&M) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Lot of 2 K-Tel Expressions Soft Rock LPs - Styx, Diana Ross, Commodores, Lobo US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX - Paradise Theatre Gatefold etched hologram on vinyl US $1.99 [0 bids]
Icon by Styx (CD, Aug-2010, A&M (USA)) US $3.00 [0 bids]
STYX - Kilroy Was Here MEXICAN Rare LP Vinyl Gatefold Titles in Spanish US $9.99 [0 bids]
45 Single - STYX - Mr. Roboto US $0.99 [0 bids]
Styx; The Grand Illusion on LP US $9.59 Buy It Now 2h 39m
styx paradise theatre record US $2.99 [0 bids]
styx the grand illusion record US $2.99 [0 bids]
16Cassettes Box-Robert Plant,Bon Jovi,Cheap Trick,Styx,Bad Company,Hooters US $41.99 [0 bids]
STYX - STYX II - WOODEN NICKEL RECORDS LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 15m
STYX VINYL the best of styx LP RCA 1980 ExEx FREE US SHIPPING lady Record US $17.99 [0 bids]
Big Bang Theory by Styx (CD, May-2005, New Door Records) US $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 32m
STYX CORNERSTONE 1979 VINYL LP BABE TRI FOLD COVER VGC US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
STYX The Grand Illusion Record 1977 SP-4637 With Poster & Lyrics US $12.50 Buy It Now 4h 4m
RARE TEST PRESS 45 STYX - MR. ROBOTO (KILROY WAS HERE) - COLUMBIA A US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Styx:"Don't Let It End / Rockin The Paradise" Face Mask Picture 45 RPM .VG- US $5.99 [0 bids]
STYX Cornerstone CASSETTE Tape 1979 IMPORT US $8.00 [0 bids]
STYX Cornerstone CASSETTE Tape 1979 US Press US $5.00 [0 bids]
DENNIS DEYOUNG Ultimate Collection Best Of Rare CD Styx Desert Moon Call Me US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Styx CORNERSTONE 1979 A&M SP-3711 US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 47m
STYX CAUGHT IN THE ACT LIVE Gatefold Vinyl Lp Album Australian Issue L-38220 US $14.28 Buy It Now 5h 8m
STYX CRYSTAL BALL VINYL LP AUSTRALIA issue L-36041 US $14.28 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Record/Vinyl/ Styx Pieces of eight. US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX CORNERSTONE VINYL LP Album Australia Issue L37090 US $13.44 Buy It Now 5h 14m
STYX, THE GRAND ILLUSION, SP-4637 LP; VERY GOOD+ US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX, PIECES OF EIGHT, SP-4724 A&M LP; VERY GOOD+, ORIG.INNER SLEEVE/LYRICS US $1.25 [0 bids]
STYX, EQUINOX, SP-4559 A&M LP; VERY GOOD+, ORIG.INNER SLEEVE/LYRICS US $1.25 [0 bids]
~ STYX "The Best Of Times" / "Lights" 7" 45 Single ~ 1979 Near Mint US $3.99 [0 bids]
STYX CRYSTAL BALL SP 4906 VINYL LP 1976 ORIGINAL PRESS GREAT COND! VG+/VG!! US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 32m
Rock NM! 45 STYX Best Thing on Wooden Nickel US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Rock NM! 45 STYX You Need Love on Wooden Nickel US $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Styx Lights UK 7" vinyl single record AMS7528 A&M 1979 US $14.07 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Styx Styx II 2 Label: Wooden Nickel Records ?- WNS-1012 LP, US $3.99 [0 bids]
Switch! 2011 - Japan CD - NEW Sylvie Vartan Connie Francis Quincy Jones Styx US $20.99 Buy It Now 6h 41m
Caught In The Act Styx UK 2-LP vinyl record (Double Album) AMLM66704 A US $23.26 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Styx vinyl LP album record Cornerstone UK AMLK63711 A&M 1979 US $23.18 Buy It Now 7h 12m
James 'JY' Young (STYX) Out On A Day Pass CD US $37.00 [0 bids]
STYX PIECES OF EIGHT JAPAN MADE SHM MINI LP CD NEW US $99.99 Buy It Now 7h 32m
Raised by Wolves James Young (Styx) (CD, Apr-1995, Whitehouse-Absolute Records) US $37.00 [0 bids]
Styx - Little Suzie - 1996 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $11.23 Buy It Now 8h 20m
STYX album CORNERSTONE US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Styx Pieces of Eight Vinyl Album 1978 US $8.99 [0 bids]
Styx - Waiting For Our Time - 2003 U.S. PROMO cd - SCARCE! US $9.98 Buy It Now 8h 46m
Shaw-Blades - My Hallucination - WB 7422 - 1995 U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! Styx US $14.95 Buy It Now 9h
UMPG Presents Riffs & Hooks Vol 1 Classic Rock Clash Queen Who U2 Styx Kiss INXS US $34.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
styx edge of the century (cassette 1990 A&M) US $3.99 Buy It Now 10h 44m
Caught in the Act by Styx (Cassette, Jul-1991, A&M (USA)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 10h 44m
Styx - The Best Of Times 7" Ex/Vg 1980 A&M AMS8102 US $6.63 Buy It Now 11h 11m
Styx - Paradise Theatre (NEW CD) US $8.47 Buy It Now 11h 23m
60's 70's 80's (2 CD) MEAT LOAF~FOGHAT~URIAH HEEP~RAINBOW~TED NUGENT~STYX *NEW* US $21.47 Buy It Now 11h 49m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $3.99 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Styx Blue Collar Man (Long Nights) 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK AMSP7388 US $17.31 Buy It Now 12h 10m
Styx Pieces Of Eight vinyl LP album record UK AMLH64724 A&M 1978 US $26.50 Buy It Now 12h 24m
Styx Love Is The Ritual UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) AMY709 A US $16.51 Buy It Now 12h 47m
Styx-pieces of eight(canada)yellow Vinyl-gatefold US $27.00 Buy It Now 12h 48m
Styx Love Is The Ritual UK 12" vinyl picture disc record AMX709 A US $33.98 Buy It Now 12h 53m
STYX CORNERSTONE JAPAN US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 56m
1979 - STYX - Cornerstone - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.94 Buy It Now 13h 6m
Styx 7" vinyl single record Too Much Time On My Hands UK AMS8118 A US $12.44 Buy It Now 13h 9m
STYX ( KILROY WAS HERE ) 1983 ISSUED VG+ LP US $1.39 [0 bids]
STYX - THE BEST OF TIMES: THE BEST OF STYX - NEW CD US $5.46 Buy It Now 13h 37m
2 LP Lot ZZ Top "El Loco" & Styx "Mirror Ball" US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 50m
Pieces of Eight - Styx (Vinyl, VG+) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Robert Fripp Styx LAWRENCE GOWAN ...But You Can Call Me Larry OOP 1993 solo CD! US $6.99 [0 bids]
Blue Collar Man [Long Nights] - Blue Vinyl Styx UK 7" vinyl single record US $18.19 Buy It Now 14h 11m
Styx 7" vinyl single record Babe UK AMS7489 A&M 1979 US $14.21 Buy It Now 14h 11m
Styx Babe UK 7" vinyl single record OG9545 OLD GOLD 1985 US $18.19 Buy It Now 14h 13m
STYX The Best Of Times NM/Too Much Time On My Hands NM 1980 Rock 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Styx - LIVE - Caught In The Act @1991 A&M Cassette US $4.50 Buy It Now 14h 23m
STYX Come Sail Away / Fooling Yourself 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 33m
STYX Lady / Children Of The Land 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 33m
STYX Light Up rare promo 45 from 1975 US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 33m
STYX Don't Let It End / Rockin' The Paradise 45 with PicSleeve from 1983 US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 33m
STYX Sing For The Day rare promo 45 from 1978 US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 34m
Styx Too Much Time On My Hands 7" vinyl single record Spanish AMS9122 A US $19.02 Buy It Now 14h 40m
Styx Pieces Of Eight USA vinyl LP album record SP4724 A&M 1978 US $26.50 Buy It Now 14h 49m
Styx The Best Of Times UK 7" vinyl single record AMS8102 A&M 1980 US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 51m
Cornerstone by Styx VG+ Classic Rock Vinyl LP Record w Sleeve US $3.55 Buy It Now 15h
Styx Cornerstone 1979 A & M Records 33LP SP-3711 Fold -Out Jacket US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 2m
STYX CORNESTONE RARE LP ISRAEL INSERT EXCELENT CONDITION US $9.99 Buy It Now 15h 17m
DBX Encoded LP Styx Pieces of Eight 1980 Nautilus NR 15 US $25.00 [0 bids]
Styx - Paradise Gala Premiere - Laser Etch LP US $6.99 Buy It Now 15h 26m
Styx - Caught In The Act Live - 1984 VG+ PROMO CUT OUT ORIGINAL OOP ASIA GENESIS US $7.00 Buy It Now 15h 30m
Styx - Equinox / A&M SP-3217 ~ NM/ G 12", 33 RPM, LP, Rock US $6.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Big Bang Theory ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(18%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(18%)

STYX Big Bang Theory reviews

Review by Gatot
2 stars What do you expect from a tribute album? The old and classic tunes performed differently by a band / artist who has its own musical identity? That's at least what I expect to happen, really. A good example of tribute is Esperanto delivering "Eleanor Rigby" where the music was totally rearranged differently in which you cannot identify at first part on what song the band was trying to deliver. This version by Esperanto is I think the best arrangement so far (my view) on Eleanor Rigby. The second best is the one performed by Indonesian band God Bless in their debut album in 1976. Another good example of tribute is Genesis' "Back In The New York City" rearranged and performed by Kevin Gilbert in "Supper's Ready" tribute CD.

STYX with this tribute album does not show the way I expect. First, there is no much different from the original version. Take example the opening track "I Am The Walrus" it does not sound different from The Beatles version, even it sounds worse. The other track is "Salty Dog" by Procol Harum (thanks GOD .. I've seen so many excellent reviews about Procol Harum by colleague collaborator Martin Vengadesan today - thank, mate!) which is not performed better than original recording. Second, this line- up of STYX does not carry the soul of Styx music I have heard in years. It's probably the unique vocal of Dennis De Young who is missing in this line-up. In a nutshell, I am not impressed at all with this album. It seems to me that this one is only released for commercial reason or probably a snob following RUSH who released "Feedback" that contained tribute to the legends as well.

However, there are good tracks that I can see it's worth listening to. The most rewarding one is the last track "Blue Collar Man" - the band's own song which has been completely rearranged and it sounds much better than the original version. If ypu ask me about the whole CD, this last track is the only one that intrigues me to have a spin. It's wonderfully rearranged! The other one worth listening to is Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath". Even though the arrangement is good but it does not show the soul of Styx music. This is different with the same song performed by Germany's power metal hero Helloween where they perform with the soul of the band.

How can I recommend you about this CD? Don't buy it. You'd better borrow your friend's CD collection. Unless, you are a completionist who wants to get a full collection of Styx album. In that case, you do not need to read my review at all. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#43611) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 21, 2005

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars Normally don't care for tribute albums, because it's an excuse for some labels to keep the bands from their rooster in activity when they are not able to release own material, but when a band like STYX dares to make a tribute to the artists that influenced them and play songs of 13 different artists with different styles, then is something worth to listen.

Before buying the album, came to Prog Archives and read the reviews, most of them talk about a less than average album, and complain about Dennis De Young not being in the band, I must say I don't miss Dennis at all, he is a great composer, but also responsible for some of the worst tracks as "Babe" or "Mister Robotto" and Lawrence Gowan is a great performer with a better voice.

So a few days ago decided to ignore the bad reviews and bought "The Big Bang Theory" and not disappointed at all, of course there are weaker songs, being that I don't expect anybody to play HENDRIX music just like he did, but STYX shows respect for the authors and adds some of their unique style.

Normally I review each and every track, but being that we are talking about covers, of well known songs, I will mention the ones that impressed me more:

The first one that caught my attention is "I Can See for Miles" being that they don't try to re- create the style of THE WHO, something too hard to do, but instead they add the complex chorals something in which STYX are champions and make an interesting track to listen.

Trying to recreate a song by a supergroup as "BLIND FAITH" is always a hard task, specially when the original singer is so unique as Steve Winwood, so instead of searching for a more similar ranged voice as James Young, the band went with Tommy Shaw, one of the few vocalists that gets better with the years, he's so different that nobody will compare them, and the whole band does a great job.

"A Salty Dog" has never been among my favourite tracks by PROCOL HARUM, but loved STYX'S version being that the entrance with Lawrence Gowan in the vocals is delightful and the guy has a better voice than Dennis who always sounded to nasal to my ears. The orchestration is wonderful and JY'S guitar is precise and if we add Todd Sucherman in the drums, they hit the nail right in the head.

"Locomotive Breath" is simply fantastic and "James Young" in the vocals is the perfect choice if you want to do a respectful tribute, the guy really adds everything you need to perform one of the best JETHRO TULL songe ever, being that making radical changes would be a sacrilege, very good version.

"Blue Collar Man" has always been a classic by STYX, but this slower version is one of the best, the details can be appreciated more, Tommy Shaw in the lead, supported by Lawrence Gowan and the whole band adding the trademark chorus are fantastic, the jazzy piano is the cherry on the top of the pie, strong closer.

Despite all the negative opinions I read, loved this album from start to end, its' always a pleasure to listen well known hits with the touch of STYX

Excellent addition for any Rock or Prog music collection so can't rate it with less tthan four stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#232159) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009

2 stars Thing is, this might be worth three, but only a few of these songs are essential. I mean, Styx did make onto 'progarchives', not that they were ever really a prog band. Maybe labels like 'art-rock' or 'semi-prog' would be appropriate, but the point is they have always experimented and tried ot ... (read more)

Report this review (#285479) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, June 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars At first, I hadn't planned to buy this album. I figured, it wasn't the original line-up of Styx, with Dennis and the Panozzo brothers, and it was just covers anyway, so it would be nothing special. Then, just two days ago, me and a friend were hanging around in a local music store, waiting unt ... (read more)

Report this review (#66166) | Posted by | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must admit, I had lost interest through the years with STYX, only because they have not been do newer material. But now that they have released an excellent collection old cover tunes I must say, I was blown away. These guys have always been a tight band. Excellent vocals, harmony, sound ... (read more)

Report this review (#49924) | Posted by | Monday, October 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I have to agree with Chris above. I'm also a longtime Styx fan since I was in elementary school in the 70's. The songs on Big Bang Theory are well-done, but you really have to have an appreciation of Styx as a fan to really enjoy the album. Otherwise, all you have are slick renditons of classic t ... (read more)

Report this review (#46955) | Posted by | Saturday, September 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You people have got to be kidding me. I don't know how anyone can say this album is great. There are only two members of the real Styx and not one of the founding members is included. It is insulting to me that JY and Tommy Shaw can call themselves styx without THE voice of styx, Dennis DeYoung ... (read more)

Report this review (#34951) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A hard rocking album, but don't look at it as a Styx album. Without Dennis DeYoung doing the lead vocals, it ain't Styx!! No offense to Tommy Shaw or the others, they are good in their own right. Enjoy this album as a great example of progessive Rock. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34950) | Posted by | Sunday, May 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is great as far as covers go. Styx didnt simply remake the songs to sound just as they did when performed by the original artists. They didnt ruin the songs by changing them too much either. This album is proof that Styx is quite talented musically and the songs on it are just classic. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34948) | Posted by | Monday, May 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This Album Rocks! Not only is the first Styx CD with Bassist Ricky Phillips on it, You don't even have to be a fan of Styx to get the album. JY does an amazing Jethro Tull on Locomotive Breath. Gowan is a real crowd pleaser with the new versions of the Beatles' I Am The Walrus and the Ashford/ ... (read more)

Report this review (#34947) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Yes this album rocks, and it is very enjoyable (and easy listening!) but it's only a cover album with nothing special. It is a tribute to several great bands of the past, like The Who, Free, Jethro Tull and Procol Harum. I say "only" a cover album because the songs are too similar to the origi ... (read more)

Report this review (#34945) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album rocks! I usually don't like cover tunes but they do an incredible job on this. Tommy Shaw kicks it with One Way Out and Summer in the City. JY pulls off a Jethro Tull song (Locomotive Breath), that even Tull would be proud of. Keep going guys, you rule! ... (read more)

Report this review (#34944) | Posted by | Saturday, May 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one great rock CD. I never thought a cover CD could be soooo good. I bought in yesterday and have listened to it about 8 times so far. This morning I read that 10 songs from this CD have entered the album rock charts of Mediabase this week! That has to be a new record and shows the pow ... (read more)

Report this review (#34943) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars So Styx was coming out with a cd covering other bands tunes.. they are a great group.. can they pull it off? Yes they Can! Wow, what a great collection of music. Songs were carefully chosen to feature each singers voice. Somes songs were very familiar and some were new to my ears.. but one ... (read more)

Report this review (#34942) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Big Bang Theory "