BIG BANG THEORY

Studio Album, released in 2005

1. I Am The Walrus
2. I Can See For Miles
3. Can't Find My Way Home
4. It Don't Make Sense (You Can't Make Peace)
5. I Don't Need No Doctor

- Lawrence Gowan / vocals, keyboards
- Todd Sucherman / drums
- Ricky Phillips / bass guitar, backing vocals

CD New Door Records / CD Frontiers Records FR CD 246

STYX MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy STYX Big Bang Theory Music

EquinoxEquinox
Crystal BallCrystal Ball
Kilroy Was HereKilroy Was Here
Styx ~ Boat on The River ~ Borrowed Time/ Japan 7" US $7.99 Buy It Now 30m 51s
Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings - Styx New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $15.51 Buy It Now 2h 4m
FOOD - FOREVER IS A DREAM 69 CHICAGO MELODIC PSYCH w/STYX PROD BARRY MRAZ SLD CD US $21.95 Buy It Now 2h 6m
STYX Kilroy Was Here 1983 A&M CLASSIC ROCK LP US $13.00 Buy It Now 3h 42m
Styx 24 Guitar Tabs Software Lesson CD, 8 Backing Tracks & Free Bonuses US $6.75 [0 bids]
1984 "NM Wax" ??? Sample Tommy Shaw Girls With Guns AMP-28107 Japan Debut Styx US $14.39 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
STYX - Best Of Times - Excellent Con 7" Single ETCHED US $6.42 Buy It Now 4h 37m
[LP] Styx,Equinox (A&M) {EX+} 1 St USA 1975 US $14.09 Buy It Now 4h 50m
STYX PIECES OF EIGHT VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM US $0.99 [0 bids]
STYX 7" -"FOOLING YOURSELF" & "THE GRAND FINALE" - RARE A&M ITALY 1977 - VG+ US $2.82 [0 bids]
STYX - REGENERATION, VOL. I & II [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD BOXSET US $8.59 Buy It Now 5h 29m
[LP] Styx,Paradise Theatre (Amiga) US $6.89 Buy It Now 5h 34m
DAMN YANKEES: Self Titled Debut CD, 2008 Rhino (Ted Nugent/Night Ranger/Styx) US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Styx - Babe: The Collection NEW CD US $5.65 Buy It Now 5h 50m
STYX: 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Best of Collection CD, 2002 NEW US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 54m
STYX "Cornerstone" CD, 1990 A&M Compact Disc (Dennis DeYoung/Tommy Shaw) NEW US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 59m
STYX "Crystal Ball" CD, 1990 A&M Compact Disc (Dennis DeYoung) NEW US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 3m
STYX "Equinox" CD, 1990 A&M Compact Disc (Dennis DeYoung) NEW US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
WOLFGANG RIHM - WOLFGANG RIHM: MUSIK F R OBOE UND ORCHESTER; STYX UND - NEW CD US $19.15 Buy It Now 6h 13m
STYX "The Grand Illusion" CD, 1990 A&M Compact Disc (Dennis DeYoung/Tommy Shaw) US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
Styx ,Cornerstone LP Record ,very good condition, 1979 Pressing US $12.00 [0 bids]
STYX "Paradise Theatre" CD, 1990 A&M Compact Disc (Dennis DeYoung/Tommy Shaw) US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 32m
STYX "Pieces of Eight" CD, 1990 A&M Compact Disc (Blue Collar Man/Renegade) US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 44m
Styx Paradise Theatre R153579 R VG C VG (LP-12534) US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 7m
Styx Regeneration Volume 1 & 11 2Cd set digipack new sealed US $4.01 Buy It Now 7h 18m
STYX CAUGHT IN THE ACT LIVE VINYL LP RECORD 2LP A&M SP-6514 GATEFOLD US $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 34m
36 70's ALBUM ROCK POP 45 rpm Jukebox Records Lot LISTED Frampton, STYX, ELO CCR US $10.00 [1 bids]
Styx pieces of eight 8 track tape US $1.29 Buy It Now 8h 2m
GOWAN - NO KILT TONIGHT (SOLO LIVE - RARE OOP CD) Styx US $19.32 [0 bids]
Lot of 4 Rock LPs Rolling Stones CCR Yes Styx NO BARCODES No Reserve US $8.99 [0 bids]
Cornerstone Styx LP 1979 A&M 3711 US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 25m
STYX "Pieces Of Eight" Picture Disc Vinyl LP Queen/Toto / RUSH / Damm Yankees US $12.98 Buy It Now 8h 27m
rare! DENNIS DeYOUNG promo cd ONCE UPON A DREAM styx US $3.00 Buy It Now 8h 37m
STYX PARADISE THEATER vinyl LP 1980 A&M MINT SEALED GF 1st press ETCHED STICKER US $39.99 Buy It Now 8h 41m
STYX GOLD VINYL EDITION US $165.00 Buy It Now 8h 46m
ROCK CLASSICS: STYX,1OCC,ALICE COOPER,PETER FRAMPTON,GOLDEN EARRING,POLICE++ US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Styx Gala Premier Vinyl Record Album US $0.50 [0 bids]
1980-90'S ROCK CASETTES GOOD CONDITION styx,warrant,young mc,bolton,carey US $25.00 Buy It Now 9h 43m
Styx - Music Time - Promo 7" 45 RPM Vinyl Record Single - 1984 US $2.60 Buy It Now 9h 47m
Styx lot of 3 Lady Cornerstone and more Cassette Tape New Sealed US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
Styx - Equinox Vinyl LP 1975 A&M Records US $9.95 Buy It Now 9h 53m
2 LP Lot Van Halen "Women & Children First" & Styx "The Grand Illusion" US $13.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
8 Track Tapes Styx US $4.75 [0 bids]
STYX LP-THE GRAND ILLUSION/A&M RECORDS, 1977 R-130453 STRONG VG+ US $7.98 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Styx 45 Best Thing Wooden Nickel 1972 Promo 10329 US $17.14 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Styx Cyclorama 2003 JVC/Victor/Japan VICP-62298 HTF Tommy Shaw/Dennis DeYoung US $32.99 Buy It Now 10h 17m
Greatest Hits by Styx (CD, Aug-1995, A&M (USA)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
STYX RENEGADE P/S RED VINYL US $0.80 [0 bids]
LOT of 10 Rock CDs - Offspring Styx Ted Nugent Daughtry 3 Dog Night US $5.51 [6 bids]
STYX - EQUINOX/CRYSTAL BALL - NEW CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 10h 56m
Styx Paradise Theater Cassette US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 59m
STYX, KILROY WAS HERE - LP RECORD US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 12m
K6-86 Vinyl Record Album 45 A&M STYX Dont Let It End Rockin In Paradise! RARE! US $24.95 Buy It Now 11h 22m
Styx BABE - THE COLLECTION 19trk cd US $4.01 [0 bids]
STYX - TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS PROMO 45 A&M 2323 NM US $4.99 [0 bids]
Styx 70s ROCK 45 Borrowed Time Edited / Album Versions US $8.98 Buy It Now 11h 49m
K-tel Rock Album Volume 2 - Skynyrd, Styx, Jethro Tull, Marshall Tucker and More US $11.99 Buy It Now 11h 49m
Styx - Grand Illusion [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 3m
Styx Classics Volume 15 Music CD US $5.95 Buy It Now 12h 6m
STYX / BOAT ON THE RIVER 45 w/Picture Sheet 7inch Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 10m
STYX: CLASSICS, VOLUME 15 CD! HTF US $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 11m
10 song EXTENDED VERSIONS/LIVE by STYX hard rock NEW CD US $7.89 Buy It Now 12h 17m
Styx Rock Galaxy Vinyl LP - EX US $23.17 Buy It Now 12h 17m
1978 STYX "Pieces of Eight" LP US $2.25 Buy It Now 12h 28m
STYX 7'' VINYL, A&M 1980, 2300-S Lights/Best of times US $2.99 Buy It Now 12h 29m
STYX GRAND DECATHLON TOUR 79' ORIGINAL TOUR SHIRT L UNWORN GRAND ILLUSION TOUR US $50.00 Buy It Now 12h 30m
JAMES YOUNG GROUP Raised By Wolves RARE CD AOR Styx US $23.99 Buy It Now 12h 34m
Styx - Pieces Of Eight [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 35m
STYX Boat On The River 7" GERMAN Vinyl 45! US $1.59 [0 bids]
Styx - 'Babe' - 1979 - Picture Sleeve. US $3.22 [0 bids]
Rock 45 STYX Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man) on A&M US $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 58m
The Grand Illusion by Styx (Cassette, Oct-1990, A&M (USA)) US $6.99 Buy It Now 13h 8m
STYX - CHILDREN OF THE LAND SHORT / LONG VERSION - MINT- US $3.30 Buy It Now 13h 11m
Styx - Borrowed Time(Album & Edited Versions) Promo 7" 45 RPM Vinyl Record -1979 US $2.60 Buy It Now 13h 11m
STYX EQUINOX A & M 1975 US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 18m
Styx Cornerstone 8 Track Vintage with Sleeve US $2.99 Buy It Now 13h 31m
Styx "Don't Let It End" 45rpm PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY, 1983, VG+ condition US $2.92 Buy It Now 13h 48m
Classics, Vol. 15 by Styx (CD, Oct-1987, A&M (USA)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 13h 58m
STYX "Styx II" LP 1973 Wooden Nickel Records WNS-1012 US $9.95 Buy It Now 14h
STYX - CRYSTAL BALL [CD NEW] US $9.95 Buy It Now 14h
Styx ; Caught In The Act Live on LP US $16.99 Buy It Now 14h 5m
Styx - Paradise Theatre LP Gatefold Etched LP SP-3719 US $6.99 Buy It Now 14h 13m
STYX - I'M O.K. - SING FOR THE DAY - JAPAN 7" 45 JAPANESE US $29.99 [0 bids]
Styx Cornerstone 1979 A&M Records Vinyl Record Album Lp US $15.97 Buy It Now 14h 18m
Brave New World, Styx, New US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 35m
Styx II, Styx, New US $19.97 Buy It Now 14h 35m
Styx -Cornerstone - 8 Track Tape US $1.50 [0 bids]
Styx - Paradise Theater [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 15h 14m
Rock 45 STYX Lorelei on A&M US $5.00 Buy It Now 15h 36m
STYX-BABE/IM O.K. WHITE LABEL 7 INCH SINGLE US $8.03 [0 bids]
1980 - STYX - Cornerstone - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.47 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Lot of 5 ROCK VINYL LP RECORDS BOSTON STYX BOB SEGER CHEAP TRICK APRIL WINE US $19.99 [1 bids]
STYX, Paradise Theater, LP, 1981, SP-3719, A&M, 1st Press, Etched, Gate-fold US $12.49 [0 bids]
KANCHELI, GIYA - KANCHELI: STYX; TAVENER: THE MYRRH-BEARER - NEW CD US $17.77 Buy It Now 16h 2m
STYX-THE GRAND ILLUSION PIECES OF EIGHT: LIVE IN CONCERT-JAPAN 2CD BLU-RAY S95 US $103.50 Buy It Now 16h 5m
RIVER STYX Reissue lp US $11.99 Buy It Now 16h 7m
STYX Japan 1983 PROMO 7"45 MR.ROBOT with PROMO CUSTOM Sleeve US $19.99 Buy It Now 16h 9m
STYX Japan 1980 PROMO 7"45 NOTHING EVER GOES AS PLANNED with PROMO CUSTOM Sleeve US $25.99 Buy It Now 16h 14m
Styx, Whitney Houston, Montel Jordan, Gin Blossoms U.S. PROMO cd - Hit Trax 1996 US $9.88 Buy It Now 16h 19m

More places to buy STYX music online Buy STYX & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for STYX DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

STYX Big Bang Theory ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(18%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(18%)

STYX Big Bang Theory reviews

Review by Gatot
2 stars What do you expect from a tribute album? The old and classic tunes performed differently by a band / artist who has its own musical identity? That's at least what I expect to happen, really. A good example of tribute is Esperanto delivering "Eleanor Rigby" where the music was totally rearranged differently in which you cannot identify at first part on what song the band was trying to deliver. This version by Esperanto is I think the best arrangement so far (my view) on Eleanor Rigby. The second best is the one performed by Indonesian band God Bless in their debut album in 1976. Another good example of tribute is Genesis' "Back In The New York City" rearranged and performed by Kevin Gilbert in "Supper's Ready" tribute CD.

STYX with this tribute album does not show the way I expect. First, there is no much different from the original version. Take example the opening track "I Am The Walrus" it does not sound different from The Beatles version, even it sounds worse. The other track is "Salty Dog" by Procol Harum (thanks GOD .. I've seen so many excellent reviews about Procol Harum by colleague collaborator Martin Vengadesan today - thank, mate!) which is not performed better than original recording. Second, this line- up of STYX does not carry the soul of Styx music I have heard in years. It's probably the unique vocal of Dennis De Young who is missing in this line-up. In a nutshell, I am not impressed at all with this album. It seems to me that this one is only released for commercial reason or probably a snob following RUSH who released "Feedback" that contained tribute to the legends as well.

However, there are good tracks that I can see it's worth listening to. The most rewarding one is the last track "Blue Collar Man" - the band's own song which has been completely rearranged and it sounds much better than the original version. If ypu ask me about the whole CD, this last track is the only one that intrigues me to have a spin. It's wonderfully rearranged! The other one worth listening to is Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath". Even though the arrangement is good but it does not show the soul of Styx music. This is different with the same song performed by Germany's power metal hero Helloween where they perform with the soul of the band.

How can I recommend you about this CD? Don't buy it. You'd better borrow your friend's CD collection. Unless, you are a completionist who wants to get a full collection of Styx album. In that case, you do not need to read my review at all. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#43611) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 21, 2005

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
4 stars Normally don't care for tribute albums, because it's an excuse for some labels to keep the bands from their rooster in activity when they are not able to release own material, but when a band like STYX dares to make a tribute to the artists that influenced them and play songs of 13 different artists with different styles, then is something worth to listen.

Before buying the album, came to Prog Archives and read the reviews, most of them talk about a less than average album, and complain about Dennis De Young not being in the band, I must say I don't miss Dennis at all, he is a great composer, but also responsible for some of the worst tracks as "Babe" or "Mister Robotto" and Lawrence Gowan is a great performer with a better voice.

So a few days ago decided to ignore the bad reviews and bought "The Big Bang Theory" and not disappointed at all, of course there are weaker songs, being that I don't expect anybody to play HENDRIX music just like he did, but STYX shows respect for the authors and adds some of their unique style.

Normally I review each and every track, but being that we are talking about covers, of well known songs, I will mention the ones that impressed me more:

The first one that caught my attention is "I Can See for Miles" being that they don't try to re- create the style of THE WHO, something too hard to do, but instead they add the complex chorals something in which STYX are champions and make an interesting track to listen.

Trying to recreate a song by a supergroup as "BLIND FAITH" is always a hard task, specially when the original singer is so unique as Steve Winwood, so instead of searching for a more similar ranged voice as James Young, the band went with Tommy Shaw, one of the few vocalists that gets better with the years, he's so different that nobody will compare them, and the whole band does a great job.

"A Salty Dog" has never been among my favourite tracks by PROCOL HARUM, but loved STYX'S version being that the entrance with Lawrence Gowan in the vocals is delightful and the guy has a better voice than Dennis who always sounded to nasal to my ears. The orchestration is wonderful and JY'S guitar is precise and if we add Todd Sucherman in the drums, they hit the nail right in the head.

"Locomotive Breath" is simply fantastic and "James Young" in the vocals is the perfect choice if you want to do a respectful tribute, the guy really adds everything you need to perform one of the best JETHRO TULL songe ever, being that making radical changes would be a sacrilege, very good version.

"Blue Collar Man" has always been a classic by STYX, but this slower version is one of the best, the details can be appreciated more, Tommy Shaw in the lead, supported by Lawrence Gowan and the whole band adding the trademark chorus are fantastic, the jazzy piano is the cherry on the top of the pie, strong closer.

Despite all the negative opinions I read, loved this album from start to end, its' always a pleasure to listen well known hits with the touch of STYX

Excellent addition for any Rock or Prog music collection so can't rate it with less tthan four stars.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#232159) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009

2 stars Thing is, this might be worth three, but only a few of these songs are essential. I mean, Styx did make onto 'progarchives', not that they were ever really a prog band. Maybe labels like 'art-rock' or 'semi-prog' would be appropriate, but the point is they have always experimented and tried ot ... (read more)

Report this review (#285479) | Posted by Brendan | Monday, June 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars At first, I hadn't planned to buy this album. I figured, it wasn't the original line-up of Styx, with Dennis and the Panozzo brothers, and it was just covers anyway, so it would be nothing special. Then, just two days ago, me and a friend were hanging around in a local music store, waiting unt ... (read more)

Report this review (#66166) | Posted by | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I must admit, I had lost interest through the years with STYX, only because they have not been do newer material. But now that they have released an excellent collection old cover tunes I must say, I was blown away. These guys have always been a tight band. Excellent vocals, harmony, sound ... (read more)

Report this review (#49924) | Posted by | Monday, October 03, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I have to agree with Chris above. I'm also a longtime Styx fan since I was in elementary school in the 70's. The songs on Big Bang Theory are well-done, but you really have to have an appreciation of Styx as a fan to really enjoy the album. Otherwise, all you have are slick renditons of classic t ... (read more)

Report this review (#46955) | Posted by | Saturday, September 17, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars You people have got to be kidding me. I don't know how anyone can say this album is great. There are only two members of the real Styx and not one of the founding members is included. It is insulting to me that JY and Tommy Shaw can call themselves styx without THE voice of styx, Dennis DeYoung ... (read more)

Report this review (#34951) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A hard rocking album, but don't look at it as a Styx album. Without Dennis DeYoung doing the lead vocals, it ain't Styx!! No offense to Tommy Shaw or the others, they are good in their own right. Enjoy this album as a great example of progessive Rock. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34950) | Posted by | Sunday, May 29, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is great as far as covers go. Styx didnt simply remake the songs to sound just as they did when performed by the original artists. They didnt ruin the songs by changing them too much either. This album is proof that Styx is quite talented musically and the songs on it are just classic. ... (read more)

Report this review (#34948) | Posted by | Monday, May 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This Album Rocks! Not only is the first Styx CD with Bassist Ricky Phillips on it, You don't even have to be a fan of Styx to get the album. JY does an amazing Jethro Tull on Locomotive Breath. Gowan is a real crowd pleaser with the new versions of the Beatles' I Am The Walrus and the Ashford/ ... (read more)

Report this review (#34947) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Yes this album rocks, and it is very enjoyable (and easy listening!) but it's only a cover album with nothing special. It is a tribute to several great bands of the past, like The Who, Free, Jethro Tull and Procol Harum. I say "only" a cover album because the songs are too similar to the origi ... (read more)

Report this review (#34945) | Posted by | Sunday, May 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album rocks! I usually don't like cover tunes but they do an incredible job on this. Tommy Shaw kicks it with One Way Out and Summer in the City. JY pulls off a Jethro Tull song (Locomotive Breath), that even Tull would be proud of. Keep going guys, you rule! ... (read more)

Report this review (#34944) | Posted by | Saturday, May 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is one great rock CD. I never thought a cover CD could be soooo good. I bought in yesterday and have listened to it about 8 times so far. This morning I read that 10 songs from this CD have entered the album rock charts of Mediabase this week! That has to be a new record and shows the pow ... (read more)

Report this review (#34943) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars So Styx was coming out with a cd covering other bands tunes.. they are a great group.. can they pull it off? Yes they Can! Wow, what a great collection of music. Songs were carefully chosen to feature each singers voice. Somes songs were very familiar and some were new to my ears.. but one ... (read more)

Report this review (#34942) | Posted by | Wednesday, May 11, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of STYX "Big Bang Theory "