BLADE RUNNER

2. Blush Response (5:47)
3. Wait for Me (5:27)
4. Rachel's Song (4:46)
5. Love Theme (4:56)
6. One More Kiss, Dear (3:58)
7. Blade Runner Blues (8:53)
8. Memories of Green (5:05)
9. Tales of the Future (4:46)
10. Damask Rose (2:32)
11. Blade Runner (End Titles) (4:40)
12. Tears in Rain (3:00)

Search VANGELIS Blade Runner lyrics

Search VANGELIS Blade Runner tabs

- Vangelis / synthesizers, keyboards, composing, arranging, production
- Mary Hopkins / vocals on "Rachel's Song"
- Don Percival / vocals on "One More Kiss, Dear"
- Demis Roussos / vocals on "Tales of the Future"
- Dick Morrisey / saxophone
- Peter Skellern / lyrics on "One More Kiss, Dear"

CD by Atlantic Recording Corp. #82623-2

Thanks to FloydWright for the addition

VANGELIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

• Titles Chariots Of Fire, 1981
  • Hispanola 1492 - Conquest Of Paradise: Music From The Original Soundtrack, 1992

Buy VANGELIS Blade Runner Music

Albedo 0.39Albedo 0.39
R.C.A. Records
ThemesThemes
Polydor / Umgd 1989
"REFLECTIONS"~UK LP 1982~Abba~Santana~Fleetwood Mac~Vangelis~Morricone~Williams US $13.56 Buy It Now 40m 16s
VANGELIS/BEAUBOURG LP 1978 JAPAN PROMO US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
JON AND VANGELIS_The Friends Of Mr Cairo_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $11.30 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire - 9841398 US $12.37 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Jon & Vangelis- Best Of - 8219292 US $12.37 Buy It Now 2h 40m
THE FORMINX dream in my heart / jeronimo 7" 45 EX Decca Greece OG VANGELIS US $14.99 [0 bids]
Vangelis - China - 8136532 US $12.37 Buy It Now 2h 42m
VANGELIS - Opera Sauvage Japan CD w/OBI P22P-20305 US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
VANGELIS - OCEANIC - 0630167612 US $8.57 Buy It Now 3h 2m
Jon And Vangelis 'Short Stories' Cassette Album (1980) US $1.68 [0 bids]
JON AND VANGELIS SHORT STORIES JAPAN US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 48m
Opera Sauvage - Vangelis New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $13.21 Buy It Now 3h 49m
VANGELIS SOIL FESTIVITIES LP 727 US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 58m
VINYL LP - JON VANGELIS - SHORT STORIES - 2442 169 US $15.26 Buy It Now 4h 19m
VANGELIS-OPERA SAUVAGE 1979 POLYDOR RECORDS LP 2490-161 UK IMPORT VG++ US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 21m
VINYL LP - CHARIOTS OF FIRE - VANGELIS 2383602 US $15.26 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Vangelis - Oceanic / TH Cassette US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Jon & Vangelis - Best Of - RARE Israel Israeli LISTEN / Synth-Ambient-Prog US $14.24 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Vangelis - To The Unknown Man / TH Cassette US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 33m
s/t CHARIOTS OF FIRE BY VANGELIS UK FILM NM/NM LP US $4.98 Buy It Now 5h 33m
VANGELIS Chariots of Fire LP 1981 US $11.88 Buy It Now 5h 34m
VANGELIS Chariots of Fire 7" vinyl US $6.70 Buy It Now 5h 34m
JON AND VANGELIS I Hear You Now 7" vinyl US $7.64 Buy It Now 5h 34m
JON & VANGELIS I'll Find My Way Home 7" 45 US $6.70 Buy It Now 5h 34m
PULSTAR The Hits of Vangelis cassette US $12.73 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Vangelis - Portrait / TH Cassette US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
12 CASSETTES ~ VANGELIS Complete Mike OLDFIELD Hearts of Space Killing Fields++ US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Vangelis - Portrait / TH Cassette US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Vangelis 45 Hymne PROMO COPY Polydor Records 1979 #PRO458-7 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
VANGELIS / THE CITY JAPAN CD OOP US $21.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Vangelis - Greatest Hits / TH Cassette US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
VANGELIS-THEMES-ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV CASSETTE TAPE-1989-SYNTH POP US $10.00 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Vangelis - The Best Of / TH Cassette US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Vangelis - Reprise 1990-1999 / TH Cassette US $29.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Jon And Vangelis - The Best Of / TH Cassette US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
JON AND VANGELIS - I`LL FIND MY WAY HOME 7" SINGLE US $3.38 Buy It Now 5h 56m
VANGELIS - CHARIOTS OF FIRE 7" SINGLE US $3.38 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Vangelis - Chariots of Fire CD (West Germany, 1981, Polydor) RARE / OOP US $8.00 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Chariots Of Fire - Vangelis - Japan - 28MM0033 US $15.99 [0 bids]
Vangelis - Odyssey (The Definitive Collection, 2003) CD US $6.60 Buy It Now 6h 21m
JON & VANGELIS - The Best Of Jon & Vangelis (West German 9 Tk CD Album) US $6.77 Buy It Now 6h 21m
VANGELIS Albedo / Heaven And Hell 1995 EURO 2x CD issue US $29.75 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire-Titles 7" US $8.47 Buy It Now 6h 29m
Direct [LP] by Vangelis (Vinyl, Arista Records USA) - Mint (in orig. shrinkwrap) US $12.65 [0 bids]
VANGELIS-ODYSSEY. 18TRK CD ALBUM IN A DIGIPACK US $6.77 Buy It Now 6h 40m
JON AND VANGELIS page of life CD 12 track (261373) - arista 1991 US $16.96 Buy It Now 6h 52m
VANGELIS THE COLLECTION SEALED 2 CD SET NEW 2012 GREATEST HITS BEST US $10.37 Buy It Now 7h 3m
Vangelis - Chariots Of Fire NEW CD US $8.33 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Direct - Vangelis (CD 1988) US $8.95 Buy It Now 7h 17m
Vangelis Oceanic 1996 Electronica Music CD Brand New US $10.17 Buy It Now 7h 29m
Vangelis - 1492 - Polish Release US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 44m
Aphrodite's Child "The Best of German press Mercury Greek prog/art rock Vangelis US $9.99 [0 bids]
Vangelis: "Chariots Of Fire - Titles" & "Eric's Theme" - from '81 movie - pl NM! US $0.50 [0 bids]
CHARIOTS OF FIRE Music From The Original Soundtrack by VANGELIS 1981 LP.Vinyl A1 US $9.76 Buy It Now 7h 59m
VANGELIS CHINA SEALED CD NEW US $3.98 Buy It Now 8h 7m
VANGELIS**CHARIOTS OF FIRE THE PLAY: MUSIC FROM THE STAGE SHOW**CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 8h 10m
VANGELIS TREMENDOUSLY RARE LIMITED 4 CC Replica LP JAPAN OBI Sealed Box Set US $365.49 Buy It Now 8h 14m
VANGELIS - ALBEDO 0.39: REMASTERED EDITION NEW CD US $34.09 Buy It Now 8h 42m
VANGELIS-LP-SOIL FESTIVITIES-WEST GERMAN PRESS US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
VANGELIS - Chariots Of Fire Original Soundtrack 1981 Polydor PD-1-8335 US $2.99 [0 bids]
VANGELIS Sex Power Soundtrack VINYL LP BRAND NEW Psych Prog Vintage Electro US $23.99 Buy It Now 8h 48m
JON & VANGELIS - PAGE OF LIFE: REMASTERED EDITION NEW CD US $34.09 Buy It Now 8h 53m
VANGELIS 3 LP LOT SOIL FESTIVITIES SAUVAGE L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX ELECTRONIC US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 53m
MYTHODEA:MUSIC FOR THE NASA MISSION BY VANGELIS (CD) US $16.15 Buy It Now 9h
Vangelis - Oceanic NEW CD US $5.84 Buy It Now 9h 8m
VANGELIS, CHINA - LP RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 17m
VANGELIS - ELPIDA - ORIGINAL GREEK LP US $15.99 [0 bids]
VANGELIS / FARANTOURI - UNRELEASED SONGS - 2 X LP US $19.99 [0 bids]
Vangelis - City [CD New] US $12.89 Buy It Now 9h 28m
W. GERMANY CD / Mask by Vangelis (CD, Apr-1985, Polydor) US $15.99 Buy It Now 9h 37m
VANGELIS - COSMOS [VANGELIS] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $21.55 Buy It Now 9h 51m
VANGELIS CHARIOTS OF FIRE SOUNDTRACK MOVIE Lp RECORD US $8.75 Buy It Now 9h 55m
VANGELIS - EL GRECO NEW CD US $20.20 Buy It Now 10h 12m
jon and vangelis Short stories US $8.87 [0 bids]
The Best of Vangelis [Windham Hill] by Vangelis (CD, Apr-1997, Windham Hill... US $4.39 Buy It Now 10h 22m
JON AND VANGELIS**FRIENDS OF MR. CAIRO**CD US $4.77 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Vangelis - 4 Mini LP CD Japan 2006 + Promo-Box VERY RARE OUT-OF-PRINT MINT!!!!! US $250.00 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Vangelis - Chariots of Fire Titles 7" Single 1981 US $13.58 Buy It Now 10h 25m
VANGELIS Heaven and Hell LP uk rca 1975 LP PS gatefold sleeve US $8.47 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Chariots Of Fire Vangelis - Soundtrack - New OOP Sealed Cassette US $9.99 [0 bids]
Vangelis The Collection 2 CD sealed hits NEW rare Blade Runner Bitter Moon bonus US $24.99 Buy It Now 11h 17m
Vangelis Soil Festivities CD 1984 Polydor West Germany USA Release Mint Jewel M- US $27.97 Buy It Now 11h 38m
VANGELIS: Soil Festivities POLH 11 VG+ PROG ELECTRONICA Movement 1, 2 / 3, 4, 5 US $1.68 [0 bids]
JON and VANGELIS` THE FRIENDS OF MR CAIRO, 33RPM LP,, 1981-PD-1-6326 ONE OWNER US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 50m
VANGELIS**BLADE RUNNER: TRILOGY (25TH ANNIV)**3 CD SET US $24.95 Buy It Now 11h 56m
VANGELIS Beaubourg in shrink NEAR MINT NEAR MINT Vinyl Record Album US $8.99 Buy It Now 11h 56m
VANGELIS**PORTRAITS (SO LONG AGO, SO CLEAR)**CD US $6.50 Buy It Now 11h 57m
VANGELIS Beaubourg Vinyl LP RCA Victor PL25155 1978 US $15.26 Buy It Now 11h 59m
VANGELIS China Vinyl LP POLYDOR POLD5018 1975 US $15.26 Buy It Now 12h
VANGELIS Heaven and Hell Vinyl LP RCA Victor RS1025 1975 US $15.26 Buy It Now 12h
VANGELIS O PAPATHANASSIOU Earth Vinyl LP Vertigo 6499 693 France First Press US $42.42 Buy It Now 12h
VANGELIS Spiral Vinyl LP RCA Victor PL25116 1977 US $16.96 Buy It Now 12h
VANGELIS The Best of Vangelis Vinyl LP RCA Victor PL25174 1976 US $15.26 Buy It Now 12h
VANGELIS To the unknown man Vol 1 Vinyl LP RCA RCALP1002 1982 US $15.26 Buy It Now 12h
VANGELIS To the unknown man Vol 2 Vinyl LP RCA RCALP1003 1982 US $15.26 Buy It Now 12h
Vangelis Invisible Connections West German pressing US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 4m
VANGELIS**BEST OF**CD US $5.55 Buy It Now 12h 6m
VANGELIS Soil Festivities LP NM Polydor 823 396-1 1984 modern classical ambient US $8.99 Buy It Now 12h 25m
VANGELIS PAPATHANASSIOU Ignacio LP NM OST EGG 900.531 France soundtrack US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 32m
VANGELIS Beaubourg LP Mint- RCA Victor AYL1-4387 1978 synth ambient classical US $6.99 Buy It Now 12h 37m

More places to buy VANGELIS music online Buy VANGELIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VANGELIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VANGELIS Blade Runner ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(47%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(33%)

VANGELIS Blade Runner reviews

Review by FloydWright
4 stars I have not seen the movie Blade Runner, but I got a recommendation from a friend and decided I'd this soundtrack a try--and I was extremely impressed! This is some of the best stuff you'll ever hear the synthesizers of the 1980s do, and I mean that. In spite of how long it took to release this album, it is a product of the 1980s--but not the corny 80s. I'm not quite a synth expert, but I think I'm hearing (among other things) the Yamaha DX-7 synth, absolutely a staple of the 80s. "Dark and mysterious" is what they did best in those days with the technology available, and that definitely fits the Blade Runner soundtrack. What's more, VANGELIS does remember to have a few analogue instruments to give it a bit more of a connection to reality (unlike Alexander where he tried to replicate an orchestra with nothing at all but synths and came off poorly). I also have to give him credit for his expressiveness in playing the synths. He has a talent almost rivaling PINK FLOYD's RICHARD WRIGHT, in terms of getting emotion out of them--and for me that is saying a lot.

Normally I would consider movie dialogue to be an intrusion upon a soundtrack album, but oddly enough, it works quite well, the way it's been mixed in here, especially on "Blush Response". This is wonderfully atmospheric stuff. Particular favorites include the amazing and expressive "Blade Runner Blues"--which is eerily like PINK FLOYD's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" just a half step down in pitch, and a synth that seems almost to "talk"; it's almost up to that quality. VANGELIS, like RICHARD WRIGHT or DREAM THEATER's KEVIN MOORE, knows how many notes to play--and how many notes not to play. The "End Titles" are also enjoyable, but most of all, the powerful combination of "Tales of the Future" with its strange, foreign vocals by DEMIS ROUSSOS and its instrumental follow-up "Damask Rose".

The only thing that breaks up the mood of this album and detracts from its rating is the completely out-of-place "One More Kiss, Dear", which sounds like it came right out of the 1930s or '40s. Perhaps it isn't a bad song, and perhaps it had a place in the movie, but I don't really think it needs to be here...or if it absolutely had to be included, it should have been at the end so as not to break up what I consider the main body of the album. This is what loses Blade Runner a star. Otherwise, I definitely recommend this album, especially to movie-score and synth buffs. It is also something to consider instead of JEAN-MICHEL JARRE, if you were put off by the lack of emotion in his work.

Send comments to FloydWright (BETA) | Report this review (#34965) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 06, 2005

Review by Zitro
4 stars 4 1/2 stars

Close to a Masterpiece, but not very essential in a progressive rock collection. This is not progressive rock at all ... this is instead a very good soundtrack music in a new-age style. All the songs flow together nicely (Except for the out of place 'one more kiss', and are drenched by synthesizers. Vangelis proves to be a master with his synths here. IF you like synth-driven new-age music, this may be one of your favourite albums of all time. Something else to note : the production is outstanding!!

The Main Titles is a gorgeous and atmospheric new-age instrumental full of synths. Blush Response is a highly repetitive (not a bad thing) electronic track similar in structure to the end titles. 'Wait for me' is a brilliant new age composition. Rachel's Song is a beautiful instrumental composition with excellent melodies. Love Theme follows and is a very sexy track with a saxophone player giving the mood. When the saxophone player stops, a keyboard driven instrumental section commences and gets very intense. It unfortunately gives explicit imagery to me. One More Kiss Dear is unfortunately the black sheep of the album. Not only it is out of place, but also is mediocre in quality. It sounds like an average 40s style song (the album has to sound futuristic!!) Blade Runner Blues seems influenced by Pink Floyd (Especially Shine on you Crazy Diamond) with the synth playing like Dave Gilmour. Memories of Green is a mellow song with delicate piano playing. Tales of the Future is a bizarre track with strange singing. Damask Rose is an atmospheric mellow track. Blade Runner (end titles) is the big highlight of the album for me. Not only because its beaty is infinite, but also because I heard it every day on an argentinian soccer show. Tears in Rain ends the album in a similar style of the opener.

Highly Recommended!!

1. Main Titles (9/10) 2. Blush Response (8/10) 3. Wait for Me (8/10) 4. Rachel's Song (9/10) 5. Love Theme (9.5/10) 6. One More Kiss, Dear (4/10) 7. Blade Runner Blues (7.5/10) 8. Memories of Green (9/10) 9. Tales of the Future (7/10) 10. Damask Rose (7/10) 11. Blade Runner (End Titles) (10/10) 12. Tears in Rain (8.5/10)

My Grade : A-

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#46697) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, September 15, 2005

Review by Chris S
2 stars Another suucessful soundtrack album from Vangelis. Although this film went on to make cult status both in Europe and the USA but I think musically it was not as strong as Conquest of Paradise. Certainly the songs are more recognisable and more easily indentifiable than some of Vangelis's earlier works. I keep wondering at times what all the fuss was about becuase although the music is good it is not brilliant. I somehow think this is one of Vangelis's works that will not stand the test of time.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#108930) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 26, 2007

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars The music of Vangelis is akin to Blade Runner as John Williams' music is to Star Wars. It is impossible to view Blade Runner without taking notice of those soaring synth soaked washes that permeate the soundtrack. The spinner flys towards the tower as Vangelis music streams out of the speakers. We can visualise the replicants wandering through the acid soaked streets, or the sudden breathtaking violence they perpetrate when they are discovered. It is an incredible compliment to Ridley Scott's vision.

Every track is off kilter and laden with weird effects that send you to a place of the not too distant future. The moment the tracks begin you are transported into the movie. The Japanese influences are abundant and many times one can imagine the over-populated metropolis where Deckard embarks on his mission to air out as many replicants as he can before thier incept date expires. Gary Numan was extremely influenced by this music, often sampling pieces of it on his albums and writing lyrics based on the themes and it is easy to see why (eg: Call Out the Dogs (samples the Japanese influences), Time To Die, My Breathing (samples the titles).

Vangelis' music resonated the theme of alienation and the cold sterile environment of a future dystopia. Rachel's Song encapsulates the female android's struggle with humanity, whereas Tales of the Future captures the essence of abandonment and confusion where nothing is as it seems. The End Titles are wonderful and I stayed for the entire thing when the film played at the local cinema.

Vangelis music can often alienate and can be tiresome at times in my experience, but this is one of his best releases and most popular as a result. I recommend this although it is lacking the progginess of other Vangelis releases.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#215080) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars The question is, is there a big possibility that soundtracks are bought by people who haven't seen the movie, or even don't know about it at all ? I don't think so at all. Then we have to assume that majority of these people will buy soundtrack BECAUSE they love/like/ consider the film (a good one). So we can continue to connected topic - music and film are in soundtrack work together. Be sure I wouldn't enjoy Diablo II. soundtrack (can recommend very much) a lot, if I'll never be to play the game. But I did, for hundreds of hours.

And I saw Blade Runner few times, from various reasons (be it that I'm sci-fi fan, like dystopic future and everything by Philip K. Dick [except Valis, because Valis is just weird. I mean too weird, even more crazy than A Scanner Darkly], so we have a triple here - book>film>music. And all three are influencing each other. Or we should take them separately ? I don't think so. And for sure I don't want to), for example these that I stated in brackets. So big deal here is so called atmosphere. Music perfectly fits and accompanies images. Of course, this is review of MUSIC, but can we deny this influencing of each other (type of media) ? I gave 3-something stars to Flash Gordon. And I intend to give this album more. Personally, I like it far more than his other ones, because of these sounds made it to big silver screen, they are real and so they have depth. Bigger depth.

4(-) for exceptional electronic atmosphere album. Maybe more like 3-stars, but you know.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#256640) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 18, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars Twelve years after the movie, this soundtrack finally saw the light!

To be honest, I saw the movie at the time, but I couldn't really remember anything about its music. I came to the conclusion that this was a sign that there is nothing as love at the first sight here. And I was proven to be right.

This album is a long sequence of new age music; enjoyable, pleasant, very soft but somewhat too much of the same. There is some good sax during "Love Theme" which is one of my favorite track featured on this "Blade Runner" album.

Some weird moments are also available like "Tales of the Future" which is mixing Oriental atmosphere, passable vocalizing and hectic instrumental passages. The following "Damask Rose" is a kind of extension of the same kind.

The best known song is the main theme: "Blade Runner" which belongs to the best of Vangelis. It is fully in line with the grandeur of some great songs from the Greek master and revives the bombastic tradition with skills. It is the best song from this album.

All in all, there aren't many great parts featured on this soundtrack. It is just a combo of tranquil pieces of music. Three stars (but five out of ten is more in line with my view).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#306827) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars I might come off sounding mean, but I never really cared much for this soundtrack. Blade Runner is a great movie that fascinated my teenage mind back in the late '90s. That period was incidentally also when the movie had its popularity peak, especially after the fans of the original cut began to bash the director's cut, which came out on DVD just around 1997-98. You know what they say --- all publicity is good publicity!

Blade Runner has lost a lot of its charm over the years and and I honestly didn't have much enthusiasm for the 2007 release of Blade Runner: Final Cut. Still, it's undeniably a cult classic that has received wide appeal which, I guess, no longer makes it a cult classic.

No that I've got my, whatever that was, out of the way; let's talk about Vangelis and his contribution to the Ridley Scott movie. The first Vangelis version of the soundtrack was delayed for more than a decade and due to that manages too lose some of its charm on me. You see, I'm not a fan of voice-over sounds and other effects on albums and even though this one keeps things pleasant and instrumental, for most part, I still lack the consistency of say --- a John Williams soundtrack! Many of these tracks don't actually work as a part of this collection. I'm talking especially about compositions like Tales Of The Future and even Blade Runner (End Titles), which comes out of nowhere and breaks the fluent New Age music that this album is otherwise built upon.

Overall, the soundtrack to Blade Runner is by no means a bad release, but it does sound a bit overdone. The 2007 re-release, titled Blade Runner Trilogy, is even worse in that respect and if you ask me then one CD is all you'll ever need.

***** star songs: Blade Runner (End Titles) (4:39)

**** star songs: Main Titles (3:42) Blush Response (5:47) Rachel's Song (4:47) Love Theme (4:56) Blade Runner Blues (8:54) Memories Of Green (5:05) Tales Of The Future (4:47) Damask Rose (2:33) Tears In Rain (3:01)

*** star songs: Wait For Me (5:28) One More Kiss, Dear (4:00)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#338337) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 29, 2010

Review by octopus-4
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
5 stars Before this official release, just 1 year after the movie, some "New American Orchestra" recorded parts from the original soundtrack in an orchestral version. The result was absolutely not bad also taking into account that the OST has been released so late.

For me it's strange now listening to the original which includes also more songs I'm less familiar with.

This is the first of the two movie soundtracks (the other is 1492) realized by Vangelis for Ridley Scott and both are excellent (not the movies as Blade Runner is light years better than 1492). "Main Titles" wan an excellent opener for the movie. I can't really separate the sensations given by the movie's dark post-modern environment and the music. The pyramid of the Tyrell Corporation emerges from the big metropolis behind and is the only building partially touched by the sunset. The music is spacey. The recordings (noises and voices) fit very well.

"Blush Response" is one of the songs not present in the NAO version. It's a dialogue backed by a dark low-pitched keyboard. When it ends the music is full of tension. The electronic drums sound is very 80s, but this track can be compared to some of today's Senmuth's stuff.

Another track not in the mentioned NAO album is "Wait For Me". ven if I have seen the movie a lot of times, it was dubbed in my home language, so I can't say which is the part commented by this slow dark track. From a musical point of view it has some contact points in the tempo and in the sounds used with "The City", in particular the first two album's tracks only a bit darker.

"Rachel's Song" had to be dramatic. She's the female character, one who doesn't know to be a replicant and discovers that everything she remembers of her life is fictitious. Initially hard, she becomes fragile. The mute singing of Kate Hopkins over a very sad but sweet melody describes the character very well. And it's a great track in the mood of L'Apocalypse Des Animaux even without the movie.

"Love Theme" is almost identical in both this version and in the NOA. Here the sax is played by Dick Morrisey, but what he plays is the same that his less known colleague plays on the other version so he doesn't make the difference. This version is just a bit longer. Same for "One More Kiss, Dear". A 40s fashioned song. I suspect the singer, Don Percival, is the same on both the albums. It gives a touch of grotesque to the ultra-technological ambientation. Outside the movie there would have been no need for a song like this.

"Blade Runner Blues" is my favourite track on both the albums. I have to say that the flugelhorn of the other version gives more (dark) colour to the piece, but this is the movie version. One of the most dramatic and action moments of the movie is just finished. A bleeding Harrison Ford and Sean Young stand under the rain after the "battle". The music is slow and evocative. The melody is bluesy. Without the movie it could make me think to a smokey jazz club.

"Memories of Green" was the only decent track on the very poor "See You Later". It has been reused. I don't listen to See You Later since years, so I can't currently say if it has been played or just copied. I think the first as I have the impression of a longer coda. The NOA version was good as well but without the recordings at the end.

"Tales Of the Future" underlines a transition in the movie. I didn't recognize Demis Roussos initially. He sings with his very high-pitched voice but the language is alien. A great evocative track on which the voice is the leading instrument.

"Damask Rose" has an ethnic (middle-eastern) flavour. In the multi-ethnic and chaotic city imagined by Ridley Scott (and by philip Dick, of course) it's very appropriate. Short and athmospheric.

"End Titles" is probably the most famous track of this OST. Something that even who doesn't know anything of Vangelis has surely listened at least one time from TV or radio.

While this was the last track on the NOA version, on this OST there's an amazing appendix. "Tears in Rain" contains the whole monologue of Batty (Rutger Hauer). The most touching moment of the movie when the "bad guy" is dying and tells his considerations about death to the "good guy". It seems that Hauer improvised it. This is directly extracted from the movie. The music behind Batty was also present in the NOA version without batty and with the title "Farewell".

A great soundtrack for a great movie with Vangelis at his best. One of the few good things produced in the 80s and maybe for this reason released only in the 90s.

Send comments to octopus-4 (BETA) | Report this review (#372511) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Review by Warthur
5 stars Vangelis' most enduring soundtrack work might also be his absolute best album. With evocative quotes lifted from the movie adding texture here and there, the soundtrack is the perfect evocation of the movie's brilliant mingling of the futuristic melding of cultures with the loneliness, isolation, and nostalgia of characters to whom memory is everything - and yet whose memories may be fabricated. Even the phony trad-jazz ballad One More Kiss Dear, whilst at first seeming out of place with the rest of the album, manages to capture the androids' dilemma perfectly; what appears to be a genuine memento from yesteryear is, like their memories from before their "incep" dates, an ingenious and artificial fabrication.

For the rest of the tracks, the dizzy blend of sparse classical piano and cutting edge synthesisers suggests that Eno had been playing close attention to Brian Eno's ambient experiments of the years leading up to this, and it is obvious that he has learned much from it. A classic of electronic music which proves without a shadow of a doubt that synthesisers can be as emotive, passionate, and heartfelt as any other instrument.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#572335) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 21, 2011

Review by Conor Fynes
5 stars 'Blade Runner (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)' - Vangelis (9/10)

There are few films that have left such an impression on me like Blade Runner. One part neo-noir science-fiction adventure, one part deeply felt existential drama; Ridley Scott's 1982 masterpiece did what any good science fiction film should do: it used an unfamiliar setting to make a relevant commentary on the experience of being a human being. The flashy visuals and moody atmosphere aside, Blade Runner remained a meditation on love, death and uncertainty. It would be unfair to say Vangelis' score for the film didn't have something to do with making the film such a memorable experience. To the point where I cannot dissociate Scott's vision of a perpetually rainy metropolis without thinking of the soundtrack, Vangelis' fusion of space-age synthesizers with world and new age music is an essential part of the film. Though many scores tend to fare poorly when robbed of their cinematic context, the 1994 release of Vangelis' score proves that the best soundtracks can still function beautifully on their own.

Blade Runner (the film) might be best described as a fusion of the science fiction and film noir genres. If anything, it's the noir aspect that influences the film's mood most overall. Though it may not be set in the 1940's, all of the central aspects are there: a gruff anti-hero, a femme fatale, and enough rain to drown a fish. Aware of the film's conscious fusion of cinematic styles, Vangelis' musical direction on this soundtrack tends to make more sense. Though there is a predominant focus on synthesizers and spacey ambiance, there are timbres here that more closely resemble a tenor saxophone than anything out of the electronic handbook. I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'jazz', but there is indeed a bluesy, jazzy tinge to some of the movements here, particularly the "Main Titles" and the aptly titled "Blade Runner Blues". To further engage the 'film noir' atmosphere, there's also a real saxophone here, performed by Dick Morrisey. "Wait for Me" finds a perfect fusion of these two aesthetics. It would be an interesting enough mashup of styles to hear on this album alone, but I think it needs the context of the film to really make sense.

Favourites on the album include the heartachingly lonesome-sounding "Memories of Green", and the urgent climax and title track. There are a few tracks here that include pieces of dialogue from the film, and while I would have often found that to be distracting from the music itself, the pieces of dialogue chosen are some of the most thought provoking in the film. Beyond any doubt, I think it was a great decision to have included Rutger Hauer's "Tears in Rain" speech for the track of the same name. Music aside, it's one of the most emotionally devastating and poignant monologues ever recorded on film, and it has a conveys a similar degree of feeling on the album. Some people have expressed doubts whether the brief piece of old-timey vocal jazz "One More Kiss, Dear" really works for the album, and though it certainly stands out stylistically from the rest of the music here, it's a pleasant departure from the soundtrack's signature style.

Ultimately, the only way to experience the music as it was intended to be, is to witness it along with the rest of the film. Blade Runner is one of the greatest films ever made, and even if you're not usually a science-fiction fan, you would be doing yourself no disservice to check it out if you haven't already. For fellow fans of the film, the soundtrack deserves to be experienced on its own. It still tells the story of Blade Runner, but it does so much more abstractly. On its own, the soundtrack becomes distanced from the science fiction visuals, but the same heartfelt emotions remain. It's arguably Vangelis' best work, and it's one of my favourite film soundtracks ever.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#976383) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 12, 2013

4 stars It is obvious that I'm a big fan of Philip Dick's work: ''Blade Runner'' movie is probably my all time favorite film and is based on Dick's novel ''Do androids dream of electric sheep?'', which is also certainly in my top-10 list. No wonder that I regard the film's OST among my favorite s ... (read more)

Report this review (#1212973) | Posted by Aldebaran_Well | Sunday, July 13, 2014 | Review Permanlink

3 stars What an extraordinary album. No other composer could have conveyed the mood of Blade Runner's futuristic world as perfectly as Vangelis with his slow and dark atmospheres. Tracks which stand out for me are "Wait For Me", one of the most romantic and immensely relaxing. "Rachel's Song" with the ... (read more)

Report this review (#1170541) | Posted by Frankie Flowers | Saturday, May 03, 2014 | Review Permanlink

5 stars With a stain or two on this record notwithstanding, this record is a five-plus piece of work. The album has a dark, urban feel to it, which is suggested in the montage of the eponymous Ridley Scott film. I think the montage really helps, especially in the case of 'Tales of the Future'; I probably wo ... (read more)

Report this review (#613992) | Posted by Dayvenkirq | Friday, January 20, 2012 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Unexpected... Vangelis - Blade Runner (1994) Overall Rating: 15/15 Best Song: Impossible Urgh, I'm a mess. This is a record which defiantly seats itself on the throne of my top ten albums of all time. How can a soundtrack be so highly rated from me? I don't know, go ask Vangelis. Me, ... (read more)

Report this review (#294715) | Posted by Alitare | Monday, August 16, 2010 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Due to contractual disagreements, a so called soundtrack to Blade Runner was initially released as an orchestral adaptation of the original recordings in the U.S. Being the Vangelis freak that I am (and was), I bought it. Disappointment set in immediately. So, first here, is my review of th ... (read more)

Report this review (#294700) | Posted by Progosopher | Monday, August 16, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I decided after twelve years to buy this record as an audio CD because when I viewed the film I fallen in love with the fantastic tecno futures soundscapes made by this Greek musician. From begin to top the sound is amazing, seductive and intensive so much that anyone who listen the music is m ... (read more)

Report this review (#81223) | Posted by Queno | Thursday, June 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Blade Runner is, until the present day, my favourite movie of all time. And one of the main reasons for this, apart from its plot and atmosphere, was its soundtrack. I mean, the choice was perfect for this movie and I think it is one of the best soundtracks ever composed as well of one of the ... (read more)

Report this review (#58185) | Posted by shyman | Sunday, November 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I'm not a fan of Vangelis but I love soundtracks and "Blade Runner" is good. It is full of spacial athmospheres and all the pandemonium of synths and keyboards of Mr. Vangelis sounds really good; accurate, with some arabic influences and ever with a veil of mystery. Maybe "Rachel's Song" is o ... (read more)

Report this review (#40757) | Posted by progadicto | Thursday, July 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Some of the most sexiest and atmospeheric music that Vangelis has made.The synths have never been lusher ,the melodies so subtle.However its typically disjointed like many film soundtrack albums and can't really be regarded as a prog album.You won't find many albums around here though that inc ... (read more)

Report this review (#34966) | Posted by | Sunday, May 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VANGELIS "Blade Runner"