DOES HUMOR BELONG IN MUSIC?

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

Frank Zappa Does Humor Belong In Music? album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Music
DVD/Video, released in 2003

1. Zoot Allures (5:53)
2. Tinsel Town Rebellion (4:14)
3. Trouble Every Day (2:16)
4. Hot Plate Heaven At The Green Hotel (1:01)
5. The Dangerous Kitchen (1:58)
6. He's So Gay (2:43)
7. Bobby Brown (2:29)
8. Keep It Greasey (3:28)
9. Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me? (4:15)
10. Dinah-Moe Humm (3:24)
11. Cosmik Debris (4:37)
12. Be In My Video (3:13)
13. Dancin' Fool (3:19)

- Bobby Martin / keyboards, tenor saxophone, vocals
- Allan Zavod / keyboards
- Scott Thunes / bass
- Chad Wackerman / drums

DVD Virgin Records (2003)

Thanks to Joren for the addition

FRANK ZAPPA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy FRANK ZAPPA Does Humor Belong In Music? Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Over-Nite SensationOver-Nite Sensation
Uncle MeatUncle Meat
Weasels Ripped My FleshWeasels Ripped My Flesh
Apostrophe (')Apostrophe (')
Zappa Records 2012
Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)Apostrophe ( ' ) (40th Anniversary Vinyl)
Zappa Records 2014
Vinyl$24.98
Absolutely FreeAbsolutely Free
Frank Zappa - Video From Hell (VHS) US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
FRANK ZAPPA & CAPTAIN BEEFHEART New 2014 COMPLETE HISTORY & BIOGRAPHY 2 DVD SET US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 13m
FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION NEW DVD US $14.41 Buy It Now 5h 20m
ZAPPA`S UNIVERSE...RARE..VHS. US $25.00 Buy It Now 6h 4m
FRANK ZAPPA: APOSTROPHE / OVER-NITE SENSATION NEW DVD US $10.31 Buy It Now 6h 4m
FRANK ZAPPA: THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS NEW DVD US $20.53 Buy It Now 6h 4m
FRANK ZAPPA: LIVE IN PARIS NEW DVD US $14.41 Buy It Now 8h 22m
2x DVD Lot FRANK ZAPPA TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME '74 & LIVE IN BARCELONA '88 Sealed US $36.99 Buy It Now 11h 19m
DOWN AND DIRTY DUCK ADULT ANIMATED MOVIE THE TURTLES FLO & EDDIE FRANK ZAPPA US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Frank Zappa - QuAUDIOPHILIAc (DVD Audio, 2004) US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FRANK ZAPPA The Torture Never Stops DVD US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Band from Utopia: A Tribute to the Music of Frank Zappa - Liv DVD US $17.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Naked Angels DVD Roger Corman Jeff Simmons ( Frank Zappa ) Michael Greene US $9.99 [1 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA - A TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME - DVD *SEALED* US $8.47 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')/Over-Nite Sensation (DVD, 2007) US $9.00 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANK ZAPPA New Sealed Newly Reissued 2014 200 MOTELS Life On The Road DVD US $16.99 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANK ZAPPA MOTHERS - DUBROOM SPECIAL - LIVE VHS PAL US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Does Humor Belong in Music? Frank Zappa Live US $6.72 Buy It Now 2 days
FRANK ZAPPA AND THE MOTHERS OF INVENTION - IN THE 1960S [REGION FREE] NEW DVD US $13.45 Buy It Now 2 days
Frank Zappa 3-DVD LOT Does Humor Belong In Music?/Baby Snakes/Dub Room Special US $29.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - A Token of His Extreme - DVD - Brand New US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
FRANK ZAPPA: FROM STRAIGHT TO BIZARRE [REGION FREE] NEW DVD US $11.44 Buy It Now 3 days
FRANK ZAPPA: THE FREAK OUT LIST [REGION FREE] NEW DVD US $12.79 Buy It Now 3 days
The True Story Of Frank Zappa 200 Motels VHS OOP Very Rare US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Frank Zappa - Live in New York: Halloween (DVD Audio, 2003) OOP US $19.99 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - The Dub Room Special (DVD, 2005) US $10.95 Buy It Now 3 days
An Evening with Frank Zappa During Which... The Torture Never Stops (DVD, 2010) US $6.58 Buy It Now 3 days
Frank Zappa - Zappa's Universe (VHS, 1993) US $9.19 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa: A Token of His Extreme (DVD, 2013) US $7.75 Buy It Now 3 days
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention Documentary Live Music Video DVD NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Frank Zappa The Freak-Out List Live Performances Interviews Music Video DVD NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Frank Zappa The Torture Never Stops DVD US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Frank Zappa - Presents Uncle Meat The Mothers Of Invention Movie VHS US $64.99 Buy It Now 4 days
FRANK ZAPPA New Sealed Ltd Ed 2014 LIVE CONCERT & MORE 3 DVD BOXSET Great Gift! US $30.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Baby Snakes/dub Room Special/torture Never Stops - Frank Zappa New US $33.58 Buy It Now 4 days
Frank Zappa - Presents Uncle Meat The Mothers Of Invention Movie VHS US $85.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Frank Zappa - Torture Never Stops (2010) - New - Digital Video Disc US $8.32 Buy It Now 4 days
Frank Zappa - 200 Motels (2014) - New - Digital Video Disc US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
FRANK ZAPPA-Mona Lisa-Licensed POSTER-85cm x 55cm-Brand New US $11.16 Buy It Now 4 days
FRANK ZAPPA TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME DVD PAL BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $14.99 Buy It Now 5 days
The True Story Of FRANK ZAPPA 200 MOTELS VHS TAPE Ringo Starr KEITH MOON oop US $39.00 Buy It Now 5 days
FRANK ZAPPA New Sealed MOTHERS OF INVENTION RARITIES, INTERVIEWS US $18.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa - APOSTROPHE / OVER-NITE SENSATION DVD -New US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
The Band From Utopia a tribute to the music of Frank Zappa DVD US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa John Dan and Me 1973, 1978, 1976 US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
FRANK ZAPPA**DUB ROOM SPECIAL!**DVD US $10.47 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa - Music In Review (DVD, 2008, Book Packaging) DVD and 72 PAGE BOOK US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa the chorus and the club The Palais Des Sports Paris France US $19.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Frank Zappa - The Dub Room Special (DVD) Excellent Condition! US $10.00 [0 bids]
Frank Zappa - From Straight to Bizarre - DVD - Brand New US $15.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Frank Zappa - Dub Room Special DVD Live 1974/1981 US $12.28 Buy It Now 6 days
Frank Zappa: 200 Motels (DVD, 2010) US $9.00 [0 bids]
FRANK ZAPPA VERY RARE FRENCH VIDEO TAPE 200 MOTELS K7 vhs US $49.99 [0 bids]
When Don Met Frank Beefheart Vs. Zappa DVD 2-Disc Set Frank Zappa Capt Beefheart US $21.96 Buy It Now 6 days
Frank Zappa - 200 Motels - NEW DVD - The Mothers of Invention US $8.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Frank Zappa's 200 Motels - Digital Versatile Disc (DVD) Region 2 Brand New Free US $11.80 Buy It Now 6 days
FRANK ZAPPA and the Mothers Of Invention In the 1960's US $7.47 Buy It Now 6 days
Frank Zappa- The Torture Never Stops DVD, New DVDs US $16.16 Buy It Now 6 days
FRANK ZAPPA Does Humor Belong In Music? DVD NEW Live 1984 PAL Region ALL US $14.95 Buy It Now 7 days
FRANK ZAPPA - MUNICH 1978 Cirkus Krone Plus Extras US $15.95 Buy It Now 7 days
FRANK ZAPPA**BABY SNAKES**DVD US $9.95 Buy It Now 8 days
Frank Zappa - Does Humour Belong In Music? (DVD, 2004) US $15.99 Buy It Now 8 days
WILD MAN FISCHER & FRANK ZAPPA New Sealed DERAILROADED DVD w Interviews, More US $14.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Frank Zappa - Palais Des Sports, Paris France 1980 DVD US $19.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Frank Zappa and Jean-Luc Ponty at POP2 1971 DVD US $18.99 Buy It Now 8 days
FRANK ZAPPA BABY SNAKES BY ZAPPA,FRANK (DVD) US $22.34 Buy It Now 9 days
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes BETA NTSC 2-Tape Set w/ No-D Glasses Great item US $19.95 Buy It Now 9 days
FRANK ZAPPA**THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS**DVD US $10.47 Buy It Now 9 days
AN EVENING WITH FRANK ZAPPA THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS DVD 1981 CONCERT NYC US $11.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Frank Zappa's 200 Motels VHS Mothers of Invention, Ringo Starr, Theodore Bikel US $39.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Does Humor Belong in Music? Frank Zappa Live DVD, Zavod, Allan, Willis, Ike, Whi US $10.19 Buy It Now 10 days
FRANK ZAPPA - 5 DVD LOT - BABY SNAKES - DUB ROOM - TORTURE NEVER STOPS US $49.99 Buy It Now 10 days
FRANK ZAPPA IN BARCELONA 1988 LIVE DVD NEW Captain Beefheart King Crimson Gong US $23.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')/Over-Nite Sensation (DVD, 2007) US $8.00 Buy It Now 10 days
FRANK ZAPPA-Does Humor Belong In Music?-'84 LIVE NYC-NEW DVD US $19.99 Buy It Now 10 days
FRANK ZAPPA Halloween DVD-AUDIO RARE OOP 5.1 SRND US $47.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Frank Zappa's 200 Motels VHS NM US $11.99 Buy It Now 11 days
FRANK ZAPPA THE DUB ROOM SPECIAL BRAZIL sealed DVD US $66.23 Buy It Now 12 days
FRANK ZAPPA CLASSIC ALBUMS BRAZIL sealed DVD US $66.23 Buy It Now 12 days
FRANK ZAPPA APOSTROPHE OVER NITE SENSATION CLASSIC ALBUMS ARGENTINA new DVD US $58.04 Buy It Now 12 days
Frank Zappa - From Straight To Bizarre DVD Captain Beefheart US $15.80 Buy It Now 12 days
Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention - In The 1960s (DVD, 2009) US $30.00 Buy It Now 12 days
DVD FRANK ZAPPA A TOKEN OF HIS EXTREME + EXTRAS SEALED NEW LIVE US $6.70 Buy It Now 13 days
FRANK ZAPPA - ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA [2-DISC SET] - NEW DVD BOXSET US $18.45 Buy It Now 13 days
Alfred The Drummers of Frank Zappa (DVD) US $18.95 Buy It Now 13 days
Frank Zappa - A Token Of His Extreme DVD TV Special with Mothers Of Invention US $14.92 Buy It Now 13 days
Frank Zappa - The Dub Room Special (DVD, 2005) US $14.00 Buy It Now 13 days
BABY SNAKES - STARRING FRANK ZAPPA NEW DVD US $14.41 Buy It Now 13 days
FRANK ZAPPA - ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA [2-DISC BRILLIANT BOXSET] - NEW DVD BOXSET US $16.62 Buy It Now 13 days
ZAPPA,FRANK-Frank Zappa Music In Review DVD NEW US $29.33 Buy It Now 14 days
Baby Snakes DVD (1979, Starring Frank Zappa) - New & Sealed! Region 4 US $16.38 Buy It Now 14 days
ZAPPA - Baby Snakes: Starring Frank Zappa DVD NEW & SEALED US $8.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Frank Zappa Live in Barcelona May 1988 A Token of His Extreme DVD US $19.99 Buy It Now 14 days
NEW - Frank Zappa- The Torture Never Stops DVD US $11.95 Buy It Now 15 days
NEW DRUMMERS OF FRANK ZAPPA: ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSION AND PERFORMANCE (2009) US $16.11 Buy It Now 15 days
Frank Zappa: The Dub Room Special! DVD US $6.53 Buy It Now 15 days
FRANK ZAPPA - BABY SNAKES / DUB ROOM SPECIAL / TORTURE NEVER STO NEW DVD US $38.41 Buy It Now 15 days
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes Belew, Adrian, Bickford, Bruce, Bozzio, Dale, Bozzio, US $8.13 Buy It Now 15 days
FRANK ZAPPA - THE DUB ROOM SPECIAL - NEW DVD US $9.78 Buy It Now 15 days
The Monkees Head DVD 1968 film with Annette Funicello, Frank Zappa, Terry Garr US $17.98 Buy It Now 16 days

More places to buy FRANK ZAPPA music online Buy FRANK ZAPPA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for FRANK ZAPPA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

FRANK ZAPPA Does Humor Belong In Music? ratings distribution

FRANK ZAPPA Does Humor Belong In Music? reviews

Review by Jim Garten
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Retired Admin & Razor Guru
3 stars Taken from an open air concert on the 'Them Or Us' tour in 1984, 'Does Humor Belong In Music' captures one of the tightest, and most stripped down lineups Zappa took on the road; three perfect pairings, in fact (sorry Mr Fripp):

Thunes & Wackerman playing off each other constantly (with Thunes providing many a comic moment), Martin & (the rarely seen) Zavod, facing each other at the back doing their level best to out-do each other (Martin winning due to superb vocals throughout) and the inspired pairing of Willis & White sharing guitar & vocal duties with the Man himself.

Despite the vast range of material played live by this lineup, the DVD concentrates largely on the comedy songs (hence "Does Humor....."), and while there's nothing wrong with this, I feel the film does not do Zappa justice; although the classics 'Trouble Every Day' and 'Hotplate Heaven' are included, the excerpts included clock in at less than four minutes in total. The only times we really get to see Zappa do what he does best (ie shut up & play his guitar) are in the opening 'Zoot Allures', the set closer 'Cozmik Debris' and the marvellous final encore 'Whippin' Post' (yes, the Allman Brothers' song). For the rest of the time, he is Zappa the entertainer/ringmaster, proving that avant garde rock, blues parodies, satire and downright smut can be easy bedfellows.

Throughout the film, we are also treated to clips from interviews with Zappa, where he shares his varied views on everything from cigarettes (berating the citizens of Los Angeles who believe they "wil live forever if they stamp out tobacco smoke"), women, and the high levels of drug abuse at Barry Manilow concerts...

When this was originally released on VHS in 1984, it was snapped up due to the lack of any decent concert material available on film. Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing at all wrong with this DVD if you like Zappa's comic moments; if, however, you prefer to see Zappa the musician, I would recommend you try 'Baby Snakes' first.

Send comments to Jim Garten (BETA) | Report this review (#35015) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Review by Cygnus X-2
2 stars Of all the Zappa videos available, this is probably my least favorite. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a terribly awful video, it's just it doesn't show Zappa as a musician, but more as a comedian. There are moments here and there where he really lets loose on guitar, but for the most part this set is just for the comedy numbers and the ones that are supposed to make you laugh. In the end, though, I was never terribly fond of the album that is toured for this video (Them or Us) and the material played here from that album doesn't really change my opinion either. The audio quality is a usual Zappa affair, nicely balanced and everyone gets a little piece of the mix. The video, though, is not to the best quality that it can be, it feels a bit low-budget in my opinion.

Anyway, this concert (although it's only parts of it) focuses mainly on the funnier and more obscene songs in the Zappa catalogue and most of the songs are less than 4 minutes in length. Because of this there is a lot of material played within the 50 minutes from a wide variety of albums. It opens nicely with a cool rendition of Zoot Allures with an (pun intended) alluring Zappa guitar solo. After that, expect short pieces that focus mainly on vocals and little instrumental snippets. Tinseltown Rebellion gets a rousing version here with some nice interplay between Thunes and Martin. It's one of the better pieces on the entire video, really good stuff here. Trouble Everyday and Hot Plate at the Green Hotel follow with some nice vocal harmonies from Ike Willis and Ray White, but nothing more than that.

The Dangerous Kitchen is a song that Zappa shouldn't have ever played live, in my opinion. It's such a disatrous song that Zappa should have kept it on the studio album where it gets a zanier and more enjoyable presenation. Some of the You Are What You Is material here is somewhat decent, but I wasn't too fond of that album, either. The best songs following Zoot Allures are Bobby Brown Goes Down, which has always been a favorite of mine, Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, another favorite, and Cosmik Debris, which is always a fun song when played in the live realm. Everything else, though, is a bit underwhelming and I'm not terribly impressed with the presentation. The live interview segments with Zappa act as little interludes between the music, and they offer a little humor from Zappa with his comments and his cynical sense of humor.

In the end, Does Humor Belong in Music? Yes, it does. Is this a great video? Not a great video, but there are some redeeming moments in it. If you want to see Zappa as a musician and not a comedian, you may want to steer clear of this video, as there are two other videos that more than show his musical talents. I would get this video last if you are a collector, but if you're a fan of this type of Zappa and this era of Zappa, you may also find some enjoyment out of it. Overall, though, Baby Snakes is a better video in terms of comedy and in musicianship and pretty much everything else. Not bad, but not terribly great. 2.5/5.

Send comments to Cygnus X-2 (BETA) | Report this review (#83916) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 17, 2006

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
1 stars Note: take this as a friendly warning if you're unsure whether you like Zappa or not. DO NOT start here! All the others are adviced not to waste their time reading my angry 'review'.

Several times I have given Frank Zappa a chance to get me interested in his music, but it never has turned out right for me. I believe I might enjoy One Size Fits All or other albums in that style ('Inca Roads' was OK on some V.A. compilation), but the ones I've listened from start to end have been more or less junk to my ears. But this very concert material (shot in New York 1984) that I happened to borrow from library is my ultimate "I CAN'T STAND FRANK ZAPPA" -experience. I nearly threw up.

The opening instrumental 'Zoot Allures' was pretty good and intelligent jazzy piece, but the rest is awful "humorous" riff-raff with fast-paced vocals, both solo singing and 'barbershop'- type ensemble singing, and complex time signatures just for the sake of it. Often it really doesn't sound any better than an improvisatory joke singing emphasized on the lyrical content would sound. The playing is skilful, no doubt of that, but WHAT they play is mostly irritating to me. And when they are tastelessly mocking gays on 'He's So Gay', my measure was full (I don't know any gays personally, but it looked VERY offensive).

If I can help someone like me to decide NOT to waste his/her time on this stuff (guaranteed to unplease if sharing my taste), this silly review is justified. Besides, the visual quality can be judged quite poor objectively too. Anyway, I still have perspective enough to think that this probably was the worst possible item for trying to get into Frank Zappa's music. IF I come across into some more suitable album, I'll give him ONE more try.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#116631) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, March 29, 2007

2 stars For one who grew up on "Hot Rats" and an admirer of Zappa's pre-'80s works, this release is rather a non-event. Indeed, if it was my first experience of his works, it's very likely that it may have ended up to be my last, too. There is nothing really wrong with the performance, but nothing mu ... (read more)

Report this review (#880334) | Posted by BORA | Saturday, December 22, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I think this is a great start to Zappa,i find these songs easily listening in comparison to Zappa's otherwork,the music itself is still musically changeling compared to other music dvds but compared to Zappa's standard you could almost dance to it. Humour is a big factor for this dvd with the son ... (read more)

Report this review (#134780) | Posted by mrcozdude | Saturday, August 25, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of FRANK ZAPPA "Does Humor Belong In Music?"