ID.ENTITY

Buy RIVERSIDE Music
Studio Album, released in 2023

1. Friend or Foe? (7:29)
2. Landmine Blast (4:50)
3. Big Tech Brother (7:24)
4. Post-Truth (5:37)
5. The Place Where I Belong (13:16)
6. I'm Done with You (5:52)
7. Self-Aware (8:43)

Bonus instrumental tracks:
8. Age of Anger (11:56)
9. Together Again (6:29)
10. Friend or Foe? (single edit) (5:59)
11. Self-Aware (single edit) (5:29)

- Mariusz Duda / vocals, bass

Format: Vinyl, CD, Digital, Blu-ray
January 20, 2023

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition

Buy RIVERSIDE ID.Entity Music

More places to buy RIVERSIDE music online

RIVERSIDE ID.Entity ratings distribution

RIVERSIDE ID.Entity reviews

Review by BrufordFreak
COLLABORATOR Heavy Prog Team
4 stars Poland's favorite progressive rock band is back with their eighth studio album release (and first in five years).

1. "Friend or Foe?" (7:29) What's with the recent fascination with/return to the 1980s? It's as if these band members got together and decided that they wanted to do a remake (or tribute) to MIKE AND THE MECHANICS' "All I Need Is a Miracle" but then decided they wanted to put their own lyrics over the top of it. Such simplicity. What happened to Riverside? (12.5/15)

2. "Landmine Blast" (4:50) now extracting a motif from one of their old songs: the first vocal verse from their great epic "Second Life Syndrome" from the the album of the same name the band fuels a new song. (The master composers of classical music did it, so why not Riverside?) At least this song sounds like Riverside. The instrumental section in the fifth and sixth minutes is interesting. (8.75/10)

3. "Big Tech Brother" (7:24) starting with a hokey little public information announcement, the music then picks up as an almost-Jazz-Rock Fusion piece with fast-moving notes of bass and drums mirrored by banked synth horns (which are serving as the keyboard's mirror to the fast-moving drum, bass and guitar play). The music then becomes slowed down, exuding heavy power rock, and then much more cabaret rock-like (with a solo organ for the initial support) for the vocal sections with theatric stop-and-goes and plenty of bombastic bursts from full band and Mariusz' vocal. The soaring guitar solo in the sixth and seventh minute is buried in a very heavy, thick full-band power chord sequence, but then the instrumental passage turns back to the opening motif, only with a far more rock-like flow and palette to it. Nice composition and sound. Almost as edgy and inventive as the Riverside of the 2000s. (13.25/15)

4. "Post-Truth" (5:37) a nice song that uses standard formatting and an attitude that says "we can do this stuff in our sleep" to me. Again, rife with borrowed riffs and ideas. I do, however, love the piano outro. (8.75/10)

5. "The Place Where I Belong" (13:16) sounds like the place that David Gilmour and Roger Waters both ended up when Pink Floyd had run its course: elemental blues rock. Even the lyrics and vocal performance sound like Roger. Still, some nice performances from the individuals: solid drumming from Piotr Kozieradzki, nice Hammond work from Michał Łapaj, excellent vocals and bass (and acoustic guitar work) from Mariusz, nice power guitar and dobro from Maciej Meller. The middle section sounds so much like Roine Stolt and THE FLOWER KINGS. The tenth and eleventh minutes are by far and away my favorite parts of the whole album: absolutely stunning beauty in the finish of Mariusz' vocal performance and gorgeous acoustic guitar-led chord progression. Everything about those final four minutes are just ear candy! Thank you, thank you! A top three song. (27/30)

6. "I'm Done with You" (5:52) built entirely around twin ascending melody lines, this clever song construct is, to my mind, a sign that the creative juices are not quite dead. My only complaint is in the fact that the main idea/motif is by far the most dominant idea used throughout the song, with vary little variations or visits to other ideas. Still, it is a good, fresh idea. Bravo! Another top three song. (9/10)

7. "Self-Aware" (8:43) opens with a sound, feel, and chord/melody line quite similar to that of The Beatles' song "Help!" (if Thin Lizzy playing were playing it). In the second minute, after the first chorus, the band shifts into staccato Reggae mode but then goes full early RUSH with a little guitar chord sequence before falling back into the new Reggae motif. Riffs of homage also go out to Golden Earring, Nazareth, some 80s pop band (like the Squeeze or Godley and Creme), Pink Floyd, The Cure, and others. (By "self-aware" are they meaning that they've all become aware of the sources of formation of their musical tastes and are herein paying tribute to some of those bands?) Clever and interesting but not the type of song I'd ever thought I'd hear coming from this band. Oh, well. I must stay true to my claim that I like artists who grow and evolve--who aren't afraid to try new things and change. Is this a great song? No. Is it good and solid? Yes. Very. Probably my final top three song. (17.5/20)

Total Time 53:11 It never seemed to me that the Riverside of the Naughties relied so much on pre-existing forms and structures like they have in the past 15 years--and this album shows nothing different. Are the guys too busy or too sidetracked by other projects (like life) to put as much into their music composition as they used to? These guys are so talented--and capable of such creativity--that I hold them to very high standards and expectations. I thought that Mariusz' outlet with his solo and Lunatic Soul projects would allow Riverside to continue to grow and evolve, but I think that it has worked oppositionally: the Riverside project may be looked at as the "easy" outlet and thus given far less time, energy and attention or the creative juices of the quartet have pretty much run their course and reached a point at which borrowing from the others--from the past--is the best (easiest) source for new ideas. Or my third idea is that the band has become more lyrics/message driven, that the music now serves more to carry and deliver the message--some of which are quite nostalgic and created from a perspective of age, not youth.

B+/four stars; an excellent addition to any prog lover's music collection.

P.S. the atmospheric instrumental bonus tracks are not included in my review but "Age of Anger" is good and the other one, "Together Again" is better--particularly for its nice Richard Wright keys and "twin" guitar. It would have been my final top three song. The latter, if finished, polished, and included in the main album, would have boosted the album's rating, the former kept it the same.

Review by rdtprog
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Heavy / RPI / Symphonic Prog Team
5 stars The recording process of this new album was done in a more relaxing mode. The band is letting it all out here, giving some fresh air to their sound. The first song "Friend or Foe?" is an excellent example with a synthpop style and the vocals of Mariusz Duda who sounds like a heavier version of A-Ha. It's a catchy song with a simple melody. The last song "Self-Aware" is also an accessible song that is more straightforward than the others songs. "Landmine Blast" has heavy guitar riffs, a huge bass sound, and beautiful keyboard lines. It's done in a different atmosphere from the first song of the album. Definitely darker with a cool guitar/bass break. "Big Tech Brother" is a fast pace track with some furious instrumental parts before the vocals bring the song to a calmer atmosphere. "Post-Truth" has again a different feel with some cool guitars and keyboard parts where the song goes on a crescendo that goes into a loud passage that breaks suddenly into a delicate piano ending. "The Place Where I Belong" is acoustic and spacey where the musicians are getting loose , there are some great guitar solos and excellent keyboard parts. As for the bonus tracks, the first track "Age of Anger" is maybe the greatest track of the album. It has a long ambient, spacey intro before the heaviness kick in showing the band delivering some more prog metal riffs. The guitars are simply amazing here. In conclusion, this is another solid effort from the band. I enjoy the variety of atmosphere, the production, and as usual the musicianship.
Review by A Crimson Mellotron
3 stars A really strong, melodic, beautiful and a bit dystopian new album by Riverside - the Polish prog rock masters return in 2023 with the eight installment in their studio catalogue, titled 'ID.Entity', this time taking some more time between this release and the previous one, which landed in 2018. One important change in terms of the band's line-up after the unfortunate passing of their ex-guitar player Piotr Grudzinski in 2016, as he has been officially replaced by Maciej Meller, previously only a touring member. Now with a proper lineup of four again, Riverside come back to present a collection of a little more uplifting than usual, quite versatile, and very lovely compositions, whose style ranges from their usual prog rock with tints of Porcupine Tree to a more classic rock-oriented numbers, all making up for a pleasant listening experience. Apparently Mariusz Duda is taking a critical look upon the contemporary world, with the songs hinting at themes like mass control, identity crisis, disillusion, disappointment with friendships and relationships, among other topics.

A catchy and somewhat 80s synth-prog-inspired opener, 'Friend of Foe' is quite a lovely way to kick off 'ID.Entity', starting off on a more uplifting note, presenting some tasty bass playing, lovely keyboards, and the usual warm vocals delivering some thoughtful lyrics. Even if the music seems a bit different than usual, I would not consider the lyrical content too distant from what is expected from the band, meaning that what Riverside is best known for, is still present here, the identity of the band could hardly be lost, despite the fact that this is one of the revolving themes of the record. 'Landmine Blast' is also very strong, tricky bass playing here, with Duda displaying his great songwriting capabilities once again. 'Big Tech Brother' is very interesting, once again reminiscent of some 80s synth-prog, I just cannot put my finger on exactly what it is, but the keyboards are very impressive on this one, so are the guitars. 'Post-Truth' is unfortunately a bit more forgettable and 'The Place Where I Belong' is not my favorite longer track by Riverside, but 'I'm Done With You' redeems both of them with its powerful, darker and anthemic nature. Finally, there is the playful and enjoyable 'Self-Aware'. The deluxe edition of this album features two bonus instrumental tracks as well as the single edits of 'Friend or Foe' and 'Self-Aware'.

'ID.Entity' is a very solid addition to the band's discography overall, it presents a different side of Riverside, and catches them trying to display a less darker musical presentation - the end result is a very well-constructed new album for them and a great entry point for their new lead guitarist.

Review by Negoba
3 stars A Very Uneven Endeavor with a Few Bright Spots

Riverside has been creating a unique take on progressive metal for over 20 years now based in part on Mariusz Duda's amazing voice and heavy use of Floyd-ian atmospherics. ID.Entity still has these elements, and some very solid riffage. But the band has also decided to slide in the pop / 80's direction to mixed effect. Though I don't usually review song by song, this album almost demands it as there is so much variation in approach and quality.

1. Friend or Foe - maybe it was Stranger Things. Pulling in early 80's keys is trendy and Riverside goes full in on the opening track and promo single. The song reminds a bit of the similarly intention retro 80's synthpop of the Weeknd's 2019 hit "Blinding Lights." Luckily, I think the move works here. It's a great melodic hard rock song. Hard to call it prog, besides the fact that it's (too) long.

2. Landmine Blast - my favorite song on the album. The band takes a great riff (yes a throwback to their own previous work) and trades it through different instruments and permutations almost like a classical piece. Some of the guitar solos also intentionally point back to early work (even though it's not the same player).

3. Big Tech Brother - after a clumsy, dumb spoken word intro, we get another very strong song. It opens with a great riff in odd time that almost has an R&B feel (a horn like keyboard patch is used and I can definitely hear a Tower of Power horn section taking it on). Duda uses a staccato delivery in the verses a la Haken to great effect. It has a strong aggressive rhythm, and plenty of layering. So far so good.

4. Post-Truth - here things start to slow. The lyrics, meant to be political criticism, start to sound obvious and whiney. The songs itself it pretty straight forward. Nothing wrong here but no surprises.

5. The Place Where I Belong - and we go off the rails. This epic length song has almost nothing progressive, or even interesting. The first half is quite boring. The second half is PF/PT moody and does carry some emotion, but there is absolutely no excuse for a song of this kind to be this long. There just isn't enough happening, too repetitive.

6. I'm Done with You - another relatively straightfoward rock song with bad lyrics. The main riff and intertwining parts are pretty driving and form a good groove, but the verses are boring and the chorus is bad. The "Fire Away!" section is pretty cool. The instrumental breaks toward the end are good. But like the album as a whole, really uneven.

7. Self Aware - starts with a riff straight out of the 80's that Ghost has already used with more menace and I consider them a tongue-in-cheek parody / novelty act. Not as tightly constructed as Friend or Foe, but seems to have a similar intention or inspiration. Harmless.

Perhaps that word is the best description of the album. Harmless. The first time I listened to this album I actively disliked it, probably because the last 3 tracks are the weakest. But on repeat listens, I can appreciate it. It has it spots. But overall - harmless. Not compelling. Mostly solid. A little better than meh. Not sure I would ever put this on just for enjoyment (I listen to alot just to see what's new in the world) when there is so much better music out there (even from Riverside). I may steal track 2 for a 2023 prog playlist. That's about it.

Good but really non-essential

3 stars Long gone are the days of the giants of 00s. From the generic new release of Porcupine Tree to the rapid downfall of Haken, it looks like we don't have anymore those bands whose albums devastatingly land like bombs on the grounds of the prog community, collecting thousands of votes with the aver ... (read more)

Report this review (#2879965) | Posted by Homotopy | Thursday, February 2, 2023 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I confess that I am no great fan of prog metal, but, with Riverside, that doesn't matter overmuch, because their music invariably stretches far beyond the confines of any particular sub-genre. And I have enjoyed various tracks from each of their albums from Out of Myself to Wasteland. Looking at m ... (read more)

Report this review (#2879908) | Posted by tbstars1 | Thursday, February 2, 2023 | Review Permanlink

5 stars One of the most eagerly awaited premieres of 2023. Entitled ID.Entity... and whose title is a kind of play on words between entity and identity or the identification of a person... a way of reflecting on the alignment, control or domination that large corporations exercise over people or over the pl ... (read more)

Report this review (#2879474) | Posted by DiversionConVinilos | Tuesday, January 31, 2023 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I guess this is where I part ways with Riverside. I have been a very big fan of Riverside and own all their albums. I have been looking forward to the release of this album but, I must say, I am disappointed. What got me hooked on to Riverside was primarily their melodies. Somehow this time aro ... (read more)

Report this review (#2878476) | Posted by spleenache | Thursday, January 26, 2023 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Another great effort from the Polish guys! The new guitarrist brings a lot of fresh new ideas to the mix, with very dynamic solos and new distortions and textures. It's especially notable when you compare with the (still) excellent Wasteland, but is the Riverside album that is the most sonically clo ... (read more)

Report this review (#2878301) | Posted by Deadwing | Wednesday, January 25, 2023 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Riverside once again put out a masterpiece and proves there are one of the best prog band working today. I was a bit worried when I heard the band talk about it on social media, saying it was very different. I was afraid we would get another "Future Bites". There sure is a couple of 80s/pop oriented ... (read more)

Report this review (#2877982) | Posted by Wilgod3p | Tuesday, January 24, 2023 | Review Permanlink

5 stars What was that?Ok. I gave this album a focused, first listen. No distractions. I have not been so impressed with a first listen like this in a very long time. I'm blown away.You know, lots of bands take you to lots of places, crossing genres and themes. The best do it smoothly. Seamless transitio ... (read more)

Report this review (#2876973) | Posted by Michael919 | Friday, January 20, 2023 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Polish prog metallers Riverside are back with their new full-length album ID.Entity released worldwide via InsideOut on January, 20. The new LP is the first with Maciej Meller as a permanent member on guitar, after the tragic death of the band's original guitar player Piotr Grudziński in 2016. ... (read more)

Report this review (#2876849) | Posted by lukretio | Friday, January 20, 2023 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The pinnacle of modern prog. The mixture of absolute virtuosity, musicality and deep philosophy could only end up at this. With this record Riverside proved that they are not the usual heavy prog metal act, all through a varying, versatile gamma of beautiful sounds. Keyboards change from a techn ... (read more)

Report this review (#2876601) | Posted by patrishiou | Thursday, January 19, 2023 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Major Band Riverside Enters Progressive 4th Decade; after debuts in 2001 they create expanded and dynamic original music. An 8th album on the madness of the world, big companies in search of quick profit at the risk of destroying our planet. 'Friend or Foe?' 80's vibe for new wave and pop roc ... (read more)

Report this review (#2858819) | Posted by alainPP | Sunday, December 18, 2022 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of RIVERSIDE "ID.Entity"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.