SHADE OF FATE

5. Spectastral (2:32)
6. The Final Line (7:30)
7. Why (6:45)
8. Mindtrip (3:14)
9. Knocking On My Door (4:09)
10. After Rain (5:06)
11. Orpheus Whisper (2:40)

Search PANTOMMIND Shade Of Fate lyrics

- Drago / drums & percussion, backing vocals

Guest musicians:
- Scaldor / Mellotron, ARP, MOOG & other
analogue synthesizers
- Konstantin Djambazov / guitar solo (7)
- Julian Hristov / guitar solo (7)

CD Lucretia Records International LU20032-2 (2005)

PANTOMMIND MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PANTOMMIND Shade Of Fate Music

Shade of FateShade of Fate
Sensory Records 2005

More places to buy PANTOMMIND music online Buy PANTOMMIND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PANTOMMIND DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PANTOMMIND Shade Of Fate ratings distribution

PANTOMMIND Shade Of Fate reviews

Review by b_olariu
4 stars What a surprise was for me when i heared for the first time this band from Bulgaria. Just great album full of great pieces, twists and time signatures of the highest calibre. They play prog metal in vein of Dream Theater or Symphony X, Fates Warning in places, but i don't think they copy these bands, more are influenced by them. So this band proves that even in countries with no history in prog music are good bands and albums, one of them are Pamtommind with their album entitled Shade of fate from 2005. One of the most enjoyble prog metal albums that i heared in the last year. The progressive elements are all over the album with some stunning pieces like Sade of fate, good opening track, the superb and very smooth Trace to find and the longest one from here The Final Line. It's a shame that they released only this album, because is one of the best prog metal albums from east Europe. I will give 4 stars because they desearve. If you area fan of prog metal give this album a try will not be deseppointed for sure.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#174157) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 17, 2008

5 stars This album surpassed every expectation I had for it, in fact it contains everything that I love about Prog-Metal. This 6 piece band is from Bulgaria of all places, but the vocals are in English and they sound amazing. Check out the creepy album cover ! The band thanks ("for education and inspiration") Devon Graves, PSYCHOTIC WALTZ, FATES WARNING, CRIMSON GLORY, DREAM THEATER and SAVATAGE. Hey there's even some mellotron and moog on this album.

"Shade Of Fate" opens with a powerful and crunchy soundscape with background synths. Vocals before a minute. Amazing sound here. So beautiful when it settles after 2 minutes and later after 4 minutes. "Follow Me" opens with keys as drums then a full sound joins in quickly. Vocals and a lighter sound follows. It kicks back in with some crunch the rest of the way. I like the synths before 3 minutes. "Closer To You" opens with keys as well then kicks in quickly. Passionate vocals follow. Slow heavy riffs take over as the guitar grinds it out before 4 1/2 minutes. A calm follows but not for long. "Trace To Find" is such a cool 2 minute atmospheric track. "Spectastral" opens with guitar as synths and riffs follow. Kicking ass 2 minutes in before fading out to end it. "The Final Line" features lots of tempo changes and it starts with keys and more crunch. Synths and vocals follow before it kicks back in. Riffs with keys after 4 1/2 minutes. Great sounding vocals with heaviness follows. Ripping guitar before 6 minutes. A killer sound after 6 1/2 minutes. What a song ! "Why" has this incredible intro before it settles around 3 minutes to this dreamy soundscape. All hell breaks loose 4 minutes in. Hell ya ! I'm moved 5 1/2 minutes in then we get this experimental ending.

"Mindtrip" opens with synths before this larger than life atmosphere takes over. "Knocking On My Door" is laid back with guitar and vocals to start. It gets mnore powerful a minute in, then heavier before 2 minutes. "After Rain" is mellow to open, it sounds gorgeous after 2 minutes. Heavy 4 minutes in. Incredible ! "Orpheus Whisper" opens with acoustic guitar as reserved vocals join in. Synths too. It turns dreamy a minute in to the end.

Hats off to Ken Golden from the "Sensory" label for picking this outstanding band up. I had my review ready for last week but kept putting it off so I could keep listening to this masterpiece of Prog-Metal. There is nothing about this record I would change.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#245344) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Review by progrules
4 stars Well, three very positive reviews on our site for this debut from Bulgarian Pantommind. That causes high expectations of course and I have to say this Balkan prog metalband delivers clearly here. Excellent vocals that remind me of Pagan's Mind though a little lower I'd say. And the vocals are not the only positive thing about Pantommind.

The instrumental handling and sort of compositions are of the same level as my previous discovery Cloudscape. This means also excellent and even the production is very good. Hard to find points of criticism; personally I love epics and these are not to be found on this release nor are any true highlights or stand out songs. On the other hand there aren't any weak tracks either, even the shorter songs are very good.

The only right outcome is going to be 4 stars for me but rather rounded down than up, some 4,25 I would say. It's a pity they made just one follow up at this point and I think I will try to find it somewhere. For sure this band deserves more attention from prog metal fans. Highly recommended.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#428282) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Review by Windhawk
4 stars Bulgarian band PANTOMMIND was formed back in 1993, and as they are still active as of 2014 they should probably be described as a veteran band at this stage. Their output have been rather limited however, with one demo and two full length albums issued to date and a third album in the works. "Shade of Fate" is their debut album, and was released through Laser's Edge subdivision Sensory Records back in 2005.

As far as placing Pantommind within a musical context goes, that is an easy task. Progressive metal is the name of the game here, and a variety of it that most likely can be described as belonging to the Dream Theater school of this stylistic expression. Powerful and emotional compositions with room for gentler escapades just as much as for sequences where the musicians can showcase their technical skills, and while the compositions may not be quite as quirky as Dream Theater may be the sound, mood and overall atmosphere is one with distinct similarities to this highly influential band. Which may or may not be incidental, as Pantommind's stated influences does reference bands and artists of a rather different stature altogether.

Be that as it may be, we're still dealing with music sharing many similar qualities. Staccato riff constructions or slower, drawn out riffs in majestic arrangements with distinct keyboards contrasting tonal range and supplementing harmonies, occasional sequences with dampened guitar sounds giving more room for the keyboards to soar and vice versa, and plenty of instrumental sections where the guitarists and keyboardist all get to showcase their skills as providers of atmospheric motifs just as much as technically challenging solo runs. Quirky instrument details are given room as well, and there's also room for compositions exploring gentler and even ethereal landscapes on this production. A strong lead vocalist with a finely controlled melodic delivery fits in beautifully in this context, and as far as delivery goes you won't find much to criticize on this disc, if anything at all.

Well made classic progressive metal, well performed, but perhaps a tad too predictable in nature. That is a challenge for any specific style heavily explored I guess, to continue making music of that kind that carries an element of surprise or that has been so perfectly made and executed that it gobsmacks you. So while any specific weaknesses are hard to find here, the details that makes this album one you must buy rather than one you should explore are just as difficult to track down. The brief instrumental Spectastral is the sole composition I'd point to for the latter, due to some truly haunting keyboard moods as the detail elevating the total experience of that particular song.

Still, if you have a soft spot for classic era progressive metal, Pantommind's debut album is one that quite clearly warrants an inspection. As long as you enjoy that type of music in general and the bands most commonly described as belonging to the Dream Theater school of progressive metal bands in general "Shade of Fate" is a production you should enjoy from the onset until the final track ebbs out. Just about the only weak spots you'll find are the two bonus tracks, and that is due to mix and production of these two compositions not being at the same level as the rest of this CD.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#1126424) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 02, 2014

5 stars Patommind are a very calm, chilling and talented progressive rock or metal band from Bulgaria and I stumbled over their two albums by pure coincidence. The band sounds a little bit like early Dream Theater and also reminds a little bit of Yes or Pendragon. The band focuses on the melodies and ins ... (read more)

Report this review (#808901) | Posted by kluseba | Thursday, August 23, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Great album, I didnt expected such a progressive feeling and culture in a band from Bulgaria. I was at the Fates Warning concert in Sofia, where I heard Pantommind as support band. Great work, guys. ... (read more)

Report this review (#43913) | Posted by | Tuesday, August 23, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PANTOMMIND "Shade Of Fate"