THREE SIDES LIVE (VHS)

4. Dodo
5. Abacab
6. No Reply at All
7. Who Dunnit?
8. In the Cage (Medley - Cinema Show - Slippermen)
9. Afterglow

- Tony Banks / keyboards, backing vocals
- Mike Rutherford / guitar, bass, backing vocals
- Daryl Stuermer / guitar, bass
- Chester Thompson / drums

VHS Atlantic Video TVF 1422 (1982)
VHS Image 80002

LD Wienerworld / BMG 80002-6 (1991)

Thanks to Guillermo for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Three Sides Live (VHS) Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Remastered
Atlantic 1994
Invisible TouchInvisible Touch
Rhino 2007

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Three Sides Live (VHS) ratings distribution

GENESIS Three Sides Live (VHS) reviews

Review by Guillermo
3 stars This video was filmed during the "Abacab Tour" in late 1981, but the live versions included here are different to the live versions which were released in the "Three Sides Live" double L.P. album in 1982. It was good for me to see this video, but I was disappointed. Genesis plays very good, but the "continuity" of the concert was marred by the " interruption" of some songs by the inclusion of fragments of interviews with Banks, Collins and Rutherford. So, some songs were cut in the middle. But other songs are complete, like the Medley of "In the Cage /Cinema Show / Slippermen / Afterglow". But my favourite song from the "Abacab" album, "Me & Sarah Jane" was cut in the middle. Other songs, like "Duchess", were marred by the inclusion of images of the "tour crew" doing their jobs before the concerts, like tuning keyboards, etc. Maybe the main intention to release this video was to promote the band for a new public, so they included the interviews for this purpose. I hope to see this video released in the DVD format, with "full songs", and with the interviews left out or simply put at the end of the concert images.There are some funny things in this video, like seeing Mike Rutherford playing Phil Collins`drum kit (with Chester playing his drums) on "Who Dunnit?".

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#35722) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Review by Gatot
3 stars Note: This is a personal experience. It may not relate to you .

I fully agree with what colleague collaborator Guillermo has put about this video. I also was disappointed with this video (mine is Laser Disc version) not with the performance of the band but it's more on very poor sound quality - it does not produce hi-fi sound: the treble and bass are lousy, the mid-range is not clear at all. This video came out right after my disappointment with their latest release at the time: "abacab" as follow- up to excellent Duke album. Musically, nothing wrong with abacab if we never knew before that this group was one of pioneers of prog rock altogether with KING CRIMSON, ELP, YES, PINK FLOYD,etc. If we only knew that this band is a typical pop band then it would be OK. But, if I remember how brilliant this band crafted "Supper's Ready" in Foxtrot album or the legendary "Firth of Fifth" in "Selling England by The Pound" album and dozens of other prog tunes by the band, it was disappointing.

When this video came out I was still studying engineering at ITB, Bandung, West Java and Genesis was a very BIG name there because our local band Cockpit did a great cover of even complex Genesis tunes like Supper's Ready or Can Utility and the Coastliners or Firth of Fifth. Cockpit is fabulous in doing cover for Genesis. And when they performed Firth of Fifth it had always been performed completely with the piano introduction and it was 99.99% close to original studio version. The keyboard player: Rony Harahap is really a virtuoso. He can emulate whatever Tony Banks is doing! My friends at ITB knew me really well that I was in love with Genesis because I went to campus with Genesis Tshirt that my friend Nala (where is he now?) who studied design at ITB specifically designed a Genesis T shirt for me. Even my signature using the G initial similar to Genesis "three sides lives" until now! (I only once changed my signature in my life and it did happen when I was deeply in love with Genesis and my regular day- to-day reading mandatory was Armando Gallo's "I Know What I Like" - oh .. where is it now?). Well, I have had great memories about Genesis. It seemed like Gabriel's breathing was very damn close to my ears and I kept singing any lyrics wherever I went, like "Walking across a sitting room .." Oh man .. What a great song! Or "I got sunshine in my stomach ."..

So, when this video hit Bandung, my colleague rockers had a yell like this: "I held the book so tightly in my hands ." exactly with the same energy as Phil Collins sing in Behind The Lines. This song opens the video energetically so whenever we watched it together, everybody in the room sung along with Phil Collins. Oh . what a great rocking vibe at the time - we even forgot about our engineering study! (Even we philosophically challenged ourselves at the time: why did we choose engineering as our major? Why not studying music and making such a great music like Genesis had done?). Duchess is like an integral part of Behind The Lines and we all enjoyed it singing together.

The real ecstasy that we all experienced was the performance of In The Cage. Oh man . all of us who watched the video together did a head-banging especially during interlude where Tony Banks keyboard gone crazy with rapid-fire keyboard solo continued with Cinema Show and The Colony of Slipperman. WOW!!! What I also remember vividly was the lyrical expression by Phil Collins where he sung "Keep falling on my head Keep falling on my head - keep keep falling on my head". And when Collins looks after the drum stools, all of sudden everybody in the room was becoming a drummer or keyboard player. . What a memorable event .. We rocked the world at the time! We hoped the pulse of our energy at the time spread all over the world from Bandung . Keep on proggin' .!

Progressively yours,

GW - Review #320

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#36636) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 16, 2005

Review by erik neuteboom
2 stars This would have been an incredible progrock experience if it had only consisted of track # 8 and 9, at these moments we can witness the magic of Genesis during the thriling blend of "The lamb .." and mid-Genesis, what a creativity, ideas and skills. Unfortunately Genesis decided to include also material from The Eighties, what a musical disaster! It's really embarrasing to analyse the huge difference between the abovementioned highlights and the later material, what a creative poverty (besides some interesting moments)!!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#44757) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 29, 2005

Review by Chris S
3 stars Three Sides Live epitomised all that was good about the changing Genesis. Capitalizing on the success of the Second's Out film release ( Where Oh Where has that gone!!!), Three Sides Live was released a few years later incorporating a few more studio releases up to the Abacab album. Great interviews, music instrument setup, insight to the often unrealized road crew, even some whacky radio call in's to Phil Collins. Musically not bad at all. Genesis always were masters at replicating studio sound on stage. The strongest aspect of this video was seeing the youthful looking Daryl Stuermer and Chester Thompson as well as Genesis members still in their prime. Visually best songs were Bank's favourite ' Duchess', the highly underrated and ending to the song ' Abacab'.' Afterglow' also a great version. Weaknesses: no ATTWT material! Still a solid three and a half stars.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#161423) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, February 10, 2008

Post a review of GENESIS "Three Sides Live (VHS)"