MY FATHER, MY KING

Post Rock/Math rock

Mogwai My Father, My King album cover

Buy MOGWAI Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2001

1. My Father, My King (20:13)

Search MOGWAI My Father, My King lyrics

Search MOGWAI My Father, My King tabs

- Stuart Braithwaite / guitars, keyboards & percussion
- John Cummings / guitars & piano
- Dominic Aitchison / bass & guitar
- Martin Bulloch / drums

CD Matador 538 (2001)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

MOGWAI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOGWAI My Father, My King Music

Ais 2013
Rock ActionRock Action
Limited Edition · Import
Play It Again Sam UK 2001
Esben & the Witch Chorea 12" EP vinyl record indie matador mogwai bat for lashes US $11.95 Buy It Now 54m 33s
Giants / Beware of Safety - Split #369/500 vinyl caspian mono mogwai post rock US $14.49 [0 bids]
Rave Tapes [Digipak] by Mogwai (CD, Jan-2014, Sub Pop (USA)) US $11.30 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Rave Tapes by Mogwai (Vinyl, Jan-2014, Sub Pop (USA)) US $14.88 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will [Digipak] by Mogwai (CD, Feb-2011, Sub... US $8.59 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Earth Division EP [EP] [Digipak] by Mogwai (CD, Sep-2011, Sub Pop (USA)) US $3.03 Buy It Now 1h 32m
BuenaVista Record&Book Gremlins 1 GIFT OF MOGWAI 1984 US $18.75 Buy It Now 1h 35m
MOGWAI R U STILL IN 2 IT 12" REMIX *NEW* RARE Alec Empire DJ Q US $48.50 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Mogwai, Mogwai, Very Good EP US $3.92 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Hood - Outside Closer [Mogwai Sigur Ros  US $29.99 [0 bids]
4h
2 By Bukowski 'What A Long Strange Journey It Has Been' LP OOP Mogwai Daturah US $28.00 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Psychic Paramount II LP Skull Defekts Godspeed Lightning Bolt Mogwai Oxes US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 4m
PELICAN - MARCH INTO THE SEA 12" LP isis cave in mogwai russian circles botch US $14.99 [1 bids]
Mogwai - Rave Tapes (2014) US $17.94 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Alog / Astral Social Club *Fat Cat Split Series 12"LP* Sigur Ros Mogwai Mum Coil US $8.99 [0 bids]
Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will - Mogwai New & Sealed CD US $18.65 Buy It Now 11h 39m
Mogwai Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will Mexican Edition CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 23m
Mogwai Mexican Edition CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 13h 23m
Mogwai - Ten Rapid: (Collected Recordings 1996 - 1997) - ROCKACT05CD US $9.82 Buy It Now 14h 10m
ZAN LYONS Warring Factions CD Rothko Mogwai LOW 3.00 US $11.99 Buy It Now 14h 33m
Mogwai - Rock Action (CD 2001) US $8.35 Buy It Now 14h 48m
MOGWAI Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will Rare 2011 Japan CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 15h 35m
Mogwai - Rave Tapes (CD 2014) US $14.97 Buy It Now 16h 2m
Current Electrics CD Mogwai Alec Empires LOW SHIP 3.00 US $15.99 Buy It Now 16h 34m
NME CD - MUSE, Embrace, Ash, Feeder, Terris, Fatboy Slim, Mogwai US $1.66 [0 bids]
MOGWAI rave tapes LP 10 track indies only with bonus 7 in pic sleeve, including US $30.10 Buy It Now 19h 12m
MOGWAI: Happy Songs For Happy People LP (UK, reissue) Rock & Pop US $35.00 Buy It Now 19h 52m
Mogwai - Les Revenants Soundtrack NEW CD US $17.88 Buy It Now 20h 51m
Mogwai - A Wrenched Virile Lore NEW CD US $12.60 Buy It Now 21h 46m
Mogwai Mr Beast CD Matador Tetsuya Fukagawa US $15.99 Buy It Now 22h 9m
V/A Moloko,Aphex twin,Obi,Prodigy,Orb,Feeder,Mogwai BRMC 5 x CD Promo US $10.02 Buy It Now 1 day
CD Long Fin Killie Houdini Luke Sutherland Mark E. Smith Mogwai The Fall US $0.35 [0 bids]
THE GIFT OF THE MOGWAI, Story 1 - Gremlins Picture Book + Read-Along Record US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai The Hawk Is Howling US 2008 Vinyl LP Album NEW US $100.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Zhao Ze - 1911 post rock from China Mogwai Mono US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Zhao Ze - Yond post rock from China Mogwai Mono US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Wang Wen - 0.7 post rock from China Mogwai Mono Limited 1000 US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI JAPAN LIVE 2001 HANDBILL/FLYER 15 X 21 CM WITH TOUR DATES JAPANESE US $13.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will - 2 x Vinyl LP *NEW US $38.46 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - EP+6 JAPAN CD W/OBI Post Rock #66 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI KICKING A DEAD PIG JAPAN MADE PROMO SHM 2 CD NEW OOP RARE TECI-30507 US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - RAVE TAPES - LP + 12" + 7" + CD + CASS BOX SET US $100.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Rave Tapes (NEW VINYL LP) US $35.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai Tell Everyone I Love Them Etched 7" Vinyl Explosions In The Sky Giants US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PLURAMON Bit Sand Riders CD Mogwai Merzbow Hecker NEW US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mono (Japan) the phoenix tree Rare release steve albini mogwai US $1.25 [2 bids]
Les Revenants Soundtrack - Mogwai (2013, CD New) US $9.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Les Revenants Mogwai CD US $10.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Neon Neon - Trick For Treat 12" (UK picture disc, Super Furry Animals, Mogwai,EX US $8.35 [0 bids]
Neon Neon - Raquel 12" (UK picture disc, Super Furry Animals, Mogwai,EX) US $8.35 [0 bids]
MOGWAI - LES REVENANTS NEW CD US $30.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Bunch Of Fives CD Video NME Embrace Terris Mogwai Muse US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Rave Tapes Mogwai CD US $24.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai live UK concert tour October 2003 poster print A5 size US $25.08 Buy It Now 2 days
"THE GIFT OF THE MOGWAI STORY 1" READ ALONG BOOK & VYNIL RECORD US $3.99 [0 bids]
KROBAK Little Victories CD PoST RoCK/PRoG Mono Mogwai Godspeed You Black Emperor US $14.99 [0 bids]
Come on Die Young by Mogwai (CD, Mar-1999, Chemikal Underground (USA) US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai,Hawk Is Howling, US $11.46 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai "Mr. Beast" 2xLp ETCHED psyche noise shoegaze drone bardo pond RARE US $25.00 [0 bids]
RED SPAROWES LIVE STOCKHOLM CD/DVD OOP RARE mogwai envy godspeed explosions sigh US $5.00 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD: Mogwai 'Rave Tapes' instrumental post rock on Sub Pop 2014 US $5.50 [5 bids]
MOGWAI-HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE BUT YOU WILL-JAPAN 2CDs 0202 H70 US $38.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Sigur Ros "( )" CD '02 Mogwai Godspeed You! Black Emperor Jónsi múm Mono Amiina US $4.99 [1 bids]
MOGWAI: Mexican Grand Prix / Slight Domestic 45 (Netherlands, PS, white vinyl) US $12.00 Buy It Now 2 days
US import TOMAN Perhaps We Should Have Smoked CD MOGWAI GODSPEED Graveface NEW US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Kicking a Dead Pig: MOGWAI Songs Remixed + Fear Satan Remixes 2 CD set US $8.95 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI Come On Die Young CD NEW & SEALED US $13.30 Buy It Now 2 days
"SELECT" MAGAZINE CD - RARETIES feat MOGWAI / LAMBCHOP / MOBY / PRIMAL SCREAM US $6.27 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Les Revenants Soundtrack [CD New] US $12.17 Buy It Now 2 days
SIGUR ROS T-SHIRT XS LIMITED EDITION MED SUD RICEBOY SLEEPS JONSI US $29.50 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - RAVE TAPES: CD ALBUM (January 20th, 2014) US $23.41 Buy It Now 2 days
SIGUR ROS VALTARI T-SHIRT M LIMITED EDITION RICEBOY SLEEPS JONSI US $29.50 Buy It Now 2 days
SIGUR ROS VALTARI T-SHIRT S LIMITED EDITION RICEBOY SLEEPS JONSI US $29.50 Buy It Now 2 days
GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR T-SHIRT S LIMITED EDITION A SILVER MT ZION MOGWAI US $49.50 Buy It Now 2 days
CASPIAN WAKING SEASON T-SHIRT S LIMITED EDITION SILVER MT ZION SIGUR ROS MOGWAI US $29.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Rock Action - Mogwai (2002, CD New) US $7.92 Buy It Now 2 days
Mr Beast - Mogwai (2006, CD New) US $6.55 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI Young Team 2LP chemikal underground records 1997 US $40.15 [13 bids]
MOGWAI - MR BEAST NEW CD US $23.15 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - ROCK ACTION (LTD) NEW CD US $23.91 Buy It Now 2 days
GANTZ La Chambre Des Morts CD DIGIPACK OOP french screamo envy isis mogwai NEW US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
FLEET FOXES Twilight Singers J. MASCIS mogwai DUM GIRLS Nikki and Dove PROMO CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Les Revenants (CD) BRAND NEW [Rock Action] US $18.39 Buy It Now 2 days
Mr. Beast by Mogwai (CD, Mar-2006, Matador (record label)) US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - LES REVENANTS NEW VINYL US $52.23 Buy It Now 2 days
SIGUR ROS Untitled Limited 10" LP with stencil VINYL mogwai US $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Wrenched Virile Lore - Mogwai (2012, CD New) US $11.61 Buy It Now 3 days
Les Revenants Soundtrack - Mogwai (2013, Vinyl New) US $19.57 Buy It Now 3 days
Jesu "Jesu" CD '04 1st HH Godflesh Final Napalm Death Mogwai Neurosis Isis Envy US $7.99 [0 bids]
Jesu "Conqueror" CD '07 HH Godflesh Final Napalm Death Mogwai Neurosis Isis Envy US $8.99 [0 bids]
Jesu "Why Are We Not Perfect" CD EP '08 Godflesh Mogwai Neurosis Isis Envy Final US $6.99 [0 bids]
Low "The Great Destroyer" 2xLP '05 Red House Painters Mogwai Labradford Smog Ida US $16.99 [0 bids]
Mr. Beast Mogwai Vinyl LP US $41.98 Buy It Now 3 days
My Father My King, Mogwai, Good Single, EP US $4.16 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rock Action [CD New] US $10.65 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Les Revenants Soundtrack [Vinyl New] US $24.79 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Mr Beast [CD New] US $9.96 Buy It Now 3 days
Mum *Smilewound - Morr Music LP* Sigur Ros Mogwai Radiohead Fleischmann Coil SPK US $16.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Thurston Moore ROOT remix 5 x LP set Sonic Youth, Derek Baily, Mogwai, Steroelab US $1.28 [2 bids]
MOGWAI - HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE, BUT YOU WILL [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.58 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MOGWAI music online Buy MOGWAI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOGWAI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOGWAI My Father, My King ratings distribution

MOGWAI My Father, My King reviews

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Am i wasting my time doing this review?

I said that because of this: My Father My King is not a studio album, but a single which was released in 2001, with onl the self titled album, this same EP was also released in Australia and New Zealand but with a two more songs ("you dont know jesus", and "Helicon 1" both songs live).

Actually what im going to review is only one song, it could be ridicolous, for example you can review Mike Oldfieldīs Amarok, which is One-song-album indeed , but itīs totally different because of the lenght, Amarokīs total time is one hour, My father My King are 20 minutes,but 20 minutes of great music.

So the answer to the first question is a clear NO, i am not wasting my time doing this review, because 20 minuutes are eough to enjoy music, which is also well done andvery well created. As we know Mogwai is a Post - Rock band which has done some good albums such as Rock Action or Happy Songs fo happy People (anyway this is not my favorite post rock band at all), so you can imagine the sound of this single - song.

My Father My King is a 20 minute song which has that typical guitar sound of post rock bands, it could be maybe repetitive, but actually that repetitive sound makes this kind of music great, another fact is that during the song we can find mood changes, all done by great guitar sound, from soft sound making a sad emotion, to explosive guitars that makes you move your head and scream , all the song has a similar sound between itīs parts, (the song is not divided in parts, but when i listen to it i can cut it and imagine that is divided), i find it so emotional, and after all i think it is a great song.

Because it is a single, which has only one song, i should give it only 2 stars (for fans only), but because i really enjoy this 20 minutes, i will give it 3 stars!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#79218) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2006

4 stars 4.5 stars. I love the title of this EP. This is their interpretation of an old Jewish hymn that was sung at their New Year's fetival.They have translated the Hebrew words into English in the liner notes. They basically ask God to end famine, hate, oppression and war from the earth and to bless themselves and their children. It opens with a confession of sin and asks for compassion. This is a 20 minute song that they often ended their concerts with.

It starts out quiet as it slowly builds to almost a full sound 1 1/2 minutes in. 3 1/2 minutes in the sound is fantastic ! And a minute later they are kicking ass ! This is a powerful wall of sound. 6 1/2 minutes in the sound starts to soften until it's down to a whisper 8 minutes in. It's building again. 10 1/2 minutes in they have unleashed an explosion of sound that is almost frightning. This is as heavy as hell, and the lava flows for 6 minutes ! After that it's like a train that takes some time to come to a stop as the heaviness gradually grinds to a halt.

This is a must have for all Post-Rock fans and especially MOGWAI fans. A truly amazing and gratifying listen. Almost perfect.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#133863) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 19, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars "My Father, My King" is an EP released in 2001 by UK, Scotland, Glasgow based post rock act Mogwai. "My Father, My King" was released around the same time as "Rock Action (2001)" and "Happy Songs For Happy People (2003)", which are widely considered some of the bandīs best releases.

The EP only features one track but itīs 20:13 minutes long which should, as far as I remember, make it the longest track the band has made so far. Around the time of the two above mentioned albums Mogwai had developed a rare sense for melody thatīs become their trademark and I was hoping that "My Father, My King" would be in the same vein as the tracks on those two albums. Itīs rather different though. This is a very slow building post rock track. Very repetitive and quite frankly a bit to long for itīs own good. The material on "My Father, My King" could easily have been destilled to a 5 minutes long track. Iīm sure that 5 minute track would have been great but 20 minutes are simply too long when this little happens. I know this kind of music is suppossed to take you on an emotional rollercoaster, and sometimes it does work when the climaxes and the more mellow parts compliment each other, but the track just gets too repetitive in the end. And whatīs with the that noisy ending? Thatīs plain annoying. All complaints aside I do enjoy the really heavy section of the track very much. These guys are so great when they decide to play some heavy stuff.

The musicianship and the production are as usual of high standard when weīre talking a Mogwai release.

I canīt say "My Father, My King" is exactly what I had hoped for and honestly I have a hard time appreciating what the band have cooked up for us this time around. That doesnīt mean itīs not a quality product though and Iīm sure fans of the more repetitive, longdrawn post rock style, who possess more patience than I do with slow building tracks, will enjoy this EP more than I do. A 2.5 - 3 star (55%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#245208) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 19, 2009

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars This has to be a mistake: only six reviews so far, and half of those only a rating, for a truly epic piece of music easily accessible in its entirety on the band's page here at Prog Archives.

All right, so it isn't exactly an essential experience, and especially not for old school Progheads still dragging their heels in a mid-1970s symphonic rut. But Mogwai's year 2001 single is the quintessential primer for open-eared newcomers, and could easily have been subtitled "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Post-Rock (*...But Were Afraid to Ask)".

Over it's gradually unfolding twenty-minute length the song - entirely instrumental, of course - spotlights all the stylistic conventions (or clichés, if you insist) of that very loud musical movement, including the majestic tempos, the steady 4/4 rhythm, and the slow thematic development, typically reaching a climax in an apotheosis of pure noise: fuzzed-out guitars, lots of crashing ride cymbals, and so forth. In this example the song ends in a sustained wall of feedback lasting several minutes, and finally halted with the abruptness of a pulled plug...hardly surprising, given the alarming surge of energy beforehand.

The haunting melody was borrowed from a Yom Kippur prayer (Avinu Malkeinu, not often heard in Presbyterian Glasgow), here given a suitably melancholy arrangement building from an almost subliminal intro to a level of power strong enough to incinerate the Temple of Solomon. The band's own description of the music is, "two parts serenity and one part death metal", but it's possible they have their ratios confused.

Arguably the song is too simple to justify its length; it certainly overstays its welcome long before the extended non-resolution. But on the other hand there's no reason why it couldn't have continued for another twenty or thirty hypnotic minutes. If more liturgical music were given a similar treatment, I might happily reconsider my longstanding religious skepticism.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#299780) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 19, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Mogwai bill this a "companion piece" to the Rock Action - actually, I think it overshadows that album a little. My Father My King is an instrumental which the band had used to close their concerts for some time before tackling the task of recording it. Sure, maybe it is Mogwai's way of saying "We can do 20 minute tracks too, so don't think Godspeed You Black Emperor proved anything with Lift Your Skinny Fists!", but even so as far as 20-minute heavy post-rock workouts go it's pretty impressive. In fact, it's probably Mogwai's best non-album track altogether. Play it loud and play it with patience.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#651663) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 09, 2012

Post a review of MOGWAI "My Father, My King"