MY FATHER, MY KING

Post Rock/Math rock

Mogwai My Father, My King album cover

Buy MOGWAI Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2001

1. My Father, My King (20:13)

Search MOGWAI My Father, My King lyrics

Search MOGWAI My Father, My King tabs

- Stuart Braithwaite / guitars, keyboards & percussion
- John Cummings / guitars & piano
- Dominic Aitchison / bass & guitar
- Martin Bulloch / drums

CD Matador 538 (2001)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

MOGWAI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOGWAI My Father, My King Music

Come on Die YoungCome on Die Young
Chemikal Underground 2014
Les RevenantsLes Revenants
Rock Action 2013
Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will (2xLP)Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will (2xLP)
Sub Pop 2011
Rock ActionRock Action
Limited Edition · Import
Play It Again Sam UK 2001
Mogwai - Les Revenants Soundtrack [CD New] US $13.97 Buy It Now 1h 51m
*NEW/SEALED* MOGWAI The Hawk Is Howling DOUBLE VINYL LP *SAME DAY DISPATCH* US $28.98 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Mogwai - Les Revenants (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $30.83 Buy It Now 3h 17m
Mogwai - Wrenched Virile Lore [CD New] US $12.09 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Mogwai - Hawk Is Howling [CD New] US $13.49 Buy It Now 5h 40m
GANTZ La Chambre Des Morts CD DIGIPACK OOP french screamo envy isis mogwai NEW US $11.99 Buy It Now 7h 27m
Mr. Beast by Mogwai (CD, Mar-2006, Matador (record label)) US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h 27m
ATTIC LIGHTS job lot of 2 promo CDs Bring You Down (Mixes) Mogwai Camera Obscura US $3.23 Buy It Now 10h 24m
Mono "For My Parents" 2xLP Ltd 12 Caspian Mogwai Yndi Halda This Will Destoy You US $28.00 Buy It Now 12h 37m
MOGWAI 'Les Revenants' Soundtrack Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $31.59 Buy It Now 13h 32m
Mogwai-Rave Tapes-Audio CD US $10.36 Buy It Now 13h 46m
Mogwai : Zidane: a 21st Century Portrait: Original Soundtrack CD (2006) US $11.27 Buy It Now 14h 38m
4 Satin [Jetset] [EP] by Mogwai (CD, Aug-1998, Jet Set Records US $2.00 [0 bids]
MOGWAI Rave Tapes Deluxe Box Set Vinyl LP SEALED OOP /500 Sub Pop Loser Edition US $134.95 Buy It Now 16h 56m
VA Out of Our Heads on Skelp (CD) arab strap delgados mogwai radar brothers US $1.62 [0 bids]
MOGWAI - THE HAWK IS HOWLING [SLIPCASE] [744861083221] - NEW CD US $10.51 Buy It Now 22h 48m
Soundtrack - All the Real Girls CD 2003 Will Oldham Mogwai Sparklehorse Pyramid US $3.23 Buy It Now 23h 49m
Gizmo and The Gremlins 45 Story 2 and The Gift of the Mogwai 45 Story 1 US $10.00 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Les Revenants Soundtrack CD US $25.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Godspeed You Black Emperor! "F# A# ?" CD RE RM '98 A Silver Mt. Zion Mogwai Mono US $8.99 [0 bids]
Matador Intended Play 2000 CD Yo La Tengo Belle and Sebastian - Mogwai - Console US $5.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Rave Tapes [Vinyl New] US $39.44 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI RAVE TAPES LP BOX SET UK ORIGINAL VERY RARE MINT SEALED US $179.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Manic Street Preachers - You Stole The Sun From My Heart CD Mogwai David Holmes US $0.41 [0 bids]
Mind the Gap, Vol. 21 CD NEW SEALED Bill Laswell Mogwai Meat Katie Hacienda+ US $6.49 Buy It Now 1 day
PULP (First Interview In 10 Years) NME Mag 07/06/14 The Orwells Slits Mogwai US $4.85 [0 bids]
MOGWAI: Mr. Beast LP (Netherlands, 2 LPs) Rock & Pop US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI Rock Action 2001 UK 8-track promo CD Gruff Rhys US $8.10 [0 bids]
LOT - 6 Mogwai Albums on CD - 6 Album/8-Disc Bundle/Set US $38.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Kicking A Dead Pig [CD New] US $12.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Ten Rapid [CD New] US $14.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Young Team [CD New] US $12.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Gift of the Mogwai Gizmo Gremlins Book and Vinyl Record Story 1 1984 US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI: Rave Tapes LP die-cut cover, w/ MP3 download Sealed US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - WRENCHED VIRILE LORE NEW CD US $19.38 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - LES REVENANTS NEW CD US $29.73 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - EARTH DIVISION NEW VINYL US $26.42 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - RAVE TAPES (UK) NEW VINYL US $63.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Qty 2 - GREMLINS Read Along Books w/ 45 RPM Records - Gift of Mogwai US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - LES REVENANTS NEW VINYL US $50.41 Buy It Now 1 day
Four Tet, Daniel Lanois, Longwave, Mogwai, Yeah Yeah Yeahs U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $11.23 Buy It Now 1 day
Tristeza BROMAS Ep 4 track CD Mint Tortoise Mogwai Post-rock Instrumental Guitar US $2.30 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Hawk Is Howling CD US $16.83 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Wrenched Virile Lore CD US $16.20 Buy It Now 1 day
CRAIG ARMSTRONG cd AS IF TO NOTHING bono U2 mogwai photek King Crimson Dando US $8.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI RARE UK CD Single NO EDUCATION NO FUTURE EP DiscMINT US $16.22 Buy It Now 2 days
PAPA M - 1968 (Tortoise, For Carnation, Slint, Royal Trux, Will Oldham, Mogwai) US $2.26 [0 bids]
PAPA M - Whatever, Mortal (Tortoise, For Carnation, Slint, Royal Trux, Mogwai) US $2.26 [0 bids]
MOGWAI - A WRENCHED VIRILE LORE [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.29 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - Happy Songs For Happy People - CD US $18.67 Buy It Now 2 days
Warp 10+3 Remixes electronica idm 2cd autechre boards of canada stereolab mogwai US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - San Pedro - Rock Action 2011 - UK - New US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - Travels In Constants Volume Twelve + Rare Ticket (OOP 2001 CD) US $45.44 [0 bids]
BARN OWL - The Conjurer OOP (2010 limited CD) Mogwai, Bass Communion US $32.44 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will 2LP NEW w/mp3 + bonus US $23.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Low "The Great Destroyer" CD '05 Red House Painters Mogwai Labradford Smog Ida US $4.99 [0 bids]
Mr. Beast CD and DVD by Mogwai (Mar-2006, Matador (record label) 2 Disc Set) US $2.00 [0 bids]
rare THE ALBUM LEAF in an off white room OOP CD modest mouse eno tristeza mog US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Wang Wen - L & R post rock from China Mogwai Mono Limited edition US $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mono Holy Ground NYC Live 3xlp explosions in the sky mogwai Godspeed Isis oop US $54.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MANIC STREET PREACHERS You Stole The Sun CD Mogwai LOW US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - RAVE TAPES - NEW 2014 VINYL LP ALBUM US $27.58 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai Hardcore Will Never Die But You first limited edition Rock CD Japan New US $55.65 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI: THE HAWK IS HOWLING NEW CD 2008 US $13.63 Buy It Now 2 days
Explosions in the sky,Mogwai "Gather Your Quiet" Leaves Crowd 7"free shipping! US $8.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai / Rave Tapes CD NEW SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Special Moves - ROCKACT48CD US $13.88 Buy It Now 3 days
Wang Wen - 0.7 post rock from China Mogwai Mono Limited 1000 US $22.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Wang Wen - Eight Horses brand new album post rock from China Mogwai Mono US $25.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Rave Tapes - Mogwai New & Sealed LP Free Shipping US $24.39 Buy It Now 3 days
MOGWAI: Earth Division Ep LP (w/ code for free MP3 download) Rock US $12.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Special Moves NEW CD US $10.47 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rave Tapes (NEW CD DIGIPACK) US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Explosions In The Sky The Rescue EP(Travels In Constants Vol. 21) Mogwai Pelican US $19.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Special Moves (NEW CD+DVD) US $12.57 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling (CD 2008) NEW CD US $10.47 Buy It Now 3 days
CD V/A One-In-Four TEENAGE FANCLUB MOGWAI ARAB STRAP BELLE & SEBASTIAN MINT US $8.10 [0 bids]
MOGWAI FRIEND OF THE NIGHT CD * RARE * NEW 2 NON-LP Tracks US $15.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rock Action NEW CD US $10.73 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rave Tapes [CD New] US $43.96 Buy It Now 3 days
A Wrenched Virile Lore [Digipak] Mogwai (CD, Dec-2012, Sub Pop NEW SEALED US $6.81 [0 bids]
Rock Action by Mogwai (CD, Apr-2001, Matador (record label)) US $8.99 [0 bids]
Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait Mogwai CD US $8.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will Deluxe 2 CD version! Sub Pop Records US $9.45 [0 bids]
MOGWAI Government Commissions: BBC Sessions 1996-2003 CD 2005 Matador Records US $6.98 [0 bids]
Mogwai [EP+2] [EP] by Mogwai (CD, Oct-1999, Matador (record label)) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Four 4 Satin, Mogwai, EP CD indie rock US $6.80 [0 bids]
Mogwai- Ten Rapid CD (Collected Recordings 1996-1997) indie rock US $5.65 [0 bids]
ALKALYS Choeur Delys CD french ambient rock Mogwai neurosis year of no light US $11.98 Buy It Now 3 days
ALKALYS A Pack of Lies CD french ambient rock Mogwai neurosis year of no light US $11.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Come on Die Young by Mogwai (CD, Apr-1999, Matador (record label)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai-Hardcore Will Never Die 2CD set (This CD Only) US $4.49 [0 bids]
MOGWAI - THE HAWK IS HOWLING - CD US $11.69 Buy It Now 3 days
MOGWAI - MY FATHER MY KING (CD SINGLE, 2001, PIAS/ROCK ACTION) RARE PROMO ISSUE US $1.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MOGWAI-LES REVENANTS-JAPAN CD F23 US $28.50 Buy It Now 3 days
MOGWAI - EP [EP] [MOGWAI] - NEW CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai- Ten Rapid (Collected Recordings 1996-1997) US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai Lot. Excellent Condition. 7 CD Lot. Singles. Post-Rock US $20.00 [0 bids]
MOGWAI Zidane: A 21st Century Portait CD NEW US $11.28 Buy It Now 4 days
CASPIAN WAKING SEASON T-SHIRT S LIMITED EDITION SILVER MT ZION SIGUR ROS MOGWAI US $7.50 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy MOGWAI music online Buy MOGWAI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOGWAI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOGWAI My Father, My King ratings distribution

MOGWAI My Father, My King reviews

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Am i wasting my time doing this review?

I said that because of this: My Father My King is not a studio album, but a single which was released in 2001, with onl the self titled album, this same EP was also released in Australia and New Zealand but with a two more songs ("you dont know jesus", and "Helicon 1" both songs live).

Actually what im going to review is only one song, it could be ridicolous, for example you can review Mike Oldfieldīs Amarok, which is One-song-album indeed , but itīs totally different because of the lenght, Amarokīs total time is one hour, My father My King are 20 minutes,but 20 minutes of great music.

So the answer to the first question is a clear NO, i am not wasting my time doing this review, because 20 minuutes are eough to enjoy music, which is also well done andvery well created. As we know Mogwai is a Post - Rock band which has done some good albums such as Rock Action or Happy Songs fo happy People (anyway this is not my favorite post rock band at all), so you can imagine the sound of this single - song.

My Father My King is a 20 minute song which has that typical guitar sound of post rock bands, it could be maybe repetitive, but actually that repetitive sound makes this kind of music great, another fact is that during the song we can find mood changes, all done by great guitar sound, from soft sound making a sad emotion, to explosive guitars that makes you move your head and scream , all the song has a similar sound between itīs parts, (the song is not divided in parts, but when i listen to it i can cut it and imagine that is divided), i find it so emotional, and after all i think it is a great song.

Because it is a single, which has only one song, i should give it only 2 stars (for fans only), but because i really enjoy this 20 minutes, i will give it 3 stars!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#79218) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2006

4 stars 4.5 stars. I love the title of this EP. This is their interpretation of an old Jewish hymn that was sung at their New Year's fetival.They have translated the Hebrew words into English in the liner notes. They basically ask God to end famine, hate, oppression and war from the earth and to bless themselves and their children. It opens with a confession of sin and asks for compassion. This is a 20 minute song that they often ended their concerts with.

It starts out quiet as it slowly builds to almost a full sound 1 1/2 minutes in. 3 1/2 minutes in the sound is fantastic ! And a minute later they are kicking ass ! This is a powerful wall of sound. 6 1/2 minutes in the sound starts to soften until it's down to a whisper 8 minutes in. It's building again. 10 1/2 minutes in they have unleashed an explosion of sound that is almost frightning. This is as heavy as hell, and the lava flows for 6 minutes ! After that it's like a train that takes some time to come to a stop as the heaviness gradually grinds to a halt.

This is a must have for all Post-Rock fans and especially MOGWAI fans. A truly amazing and gratifying listen. Almost perfect.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#133863) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 19, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars "My Father, My King" is an EP released in 2001 by UK, Scotland, Glasgow based post rock act Mogwai. "My Father, My King" was released around the same time as "Rock Action (2001)" and "Happy Songs For Happy People (2003)", which are widely considered some of the bandīs best releases.

The EP only features one track but itīs 20:13 minutes long which should, as far as I remember, make it the longest track the band has made so far. Around the time of the two above mentioned albums Mogwai had developed a rare sense for melody thatīs become their trademark and I was hoping that "My Father, My King" would be in the same vein as the tracks on those two albums. Itīs rather different though. This is a very slow building post rock track. Very repetitive and quite frankly a bit to long for itīs own good. The material on "My Father, My King" could easily have been destilled to a 5 minutes long track. Iīm sure that 5 minute track would have been great but 20 minutes are simply too long when this little happens. I know this kind of music is suppossed to take you on an emotional rollercoaster, and sometimes it does work when the climaxes and the more mellow parts compliment each other, but the track just gets too repetitive in the end. And whatīs with the that noisy ending? Thatīs plain annoying. All complaints aside I do enjoy the really heavy section of the track very much. These guys are so great when they decide to play some heavy stuff.

The musicianship and the production are as usual of high standard when weīre talking a Mogwai release.

I canīt say "My Father, My King" is exactly what I had hoped for and honestly I have a hard time appreciating what the band have cooked up for us this time around. That doesnīt mean itīs not a quality product though and Iīm sure fans of the more repetitive, longdrawn post rock style, who possess more patience than I do with slow building tracks, will enjoy this EP more than I do. A 2.5 - 3 star (55%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#245208) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 19, 2009

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars This has to be a mistake: only six reviews so far, and half of those only a rating, for a truly epic piece of music easily accessible in its entirety on the band's page here at Prog Archives.

All right, so it isn't exactly an essential experience, and especially not for old school Progheads still dragging their heels in a mid-1970s symphonic rut. But Mogwai's year 2001 single is the quintessential primer for open-eared newcomers, and could easily have been subtitled "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Post-Rock (*...But Were Afraid to Ask)".

Over it's gradually unfolding twenty-minute length the song - entirely instrumental, of course - spotlights all the stylistic conventions (or clichés, if you insist) of that very loud musical movement, including the majestic tempos, the steady 4/4 rhythm, and the slow thematic development, typically reaching a climax in an apotheosis of pure noise: fuzzed-out guitars, lots of crashing ride cymbals, and so forth. In this example the song ends in a sustained wall of feedback lasting several minutes, and finally halted with the abruptness of a pulled plug...hardly surprising, given the alarming surge of energy beforehand.

The haunting melody was borrowed from a Yom Kippur prayer (Avinu Malkeinu, not often heard in Presbyterian Glasgow), here given a suitably melancholy arrangement building from an almost subliminal intro to a level of power strong enough to incinerate the Temple of Solomon. The band's own description of the music is, "two parts serenity and one part death metal", but it's possible they have their ratios confused.

Arguably the song is too simple to justify its length; it certainly overstays its welcome long before the extended non-resolution. But on the other hand there's no reason why it couldn't have continued for another twenty or thirty hypnotic minutes. If more liturgical music were given a similar treatment, I might happily reconsider my longstanding religious skepticism.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#299780) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 19, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Mogwai bill this a "companion piece" to the Rock Action - actually, I think it overshadows that album a little. My Father My King is an instrumental which the band had used to close their concerts for some time before tackling the task of recording it. Sure, maybe it is Mogwai's way of saying "We can do 20 minute tracks too, so don't think Godspeed You Black Emperor proved anything with Lift Your Skinny Fists!", but even so as far as 20-minute heavy post-rock workouts go it's pretty impressive. In fact, it's probably Mogwai's best non-album track altogether. Play it loud and play it with patience.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#651663) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 09, 2012

Post a review of MOGWAI "My Father, My King"