MY FATHER, MY KING

Post Rock/Math rock

Mogwai My Father, My King album cover

Buy MOGWAI Music
Singles/EPs/Fan Club/Promo, released in 2001

1. My Father, My King (20:13)

Search MOGWAI My Father, My King lyrics

Search MOGWAI My Father, My King tabs

- Stuart Braithwaite / guitars, keyboards & percussion
- John Cummings / guitars & piano
- Dominic Aitchison / bass & guitar
- Martin Bulloch / drums

CD Matador 538 (2001)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

MOGWAI MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MOGWAI My Father, My King Music

Mr BeastMr Beast
Play It Again Sam UK 2006
Hawk Is HowlingHawk Is Howling
Matador Records 2008
MOGWAI - HAPPY SONGS FOR HAPPY PEOPLE [5413356453522] - NEW CD US $11.13 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Arab Strap Mad for Sadness EU Vinyl LP Mogwai US $119.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Mogwai : EP (CD 1999) BARGAIN!! 4 TRAX!! FREE!! UK 24-HR POST!! US $5.79 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Mogwai - Young Team LP (Double Vinyl - Chemikal Underground) 1997 US $69.85 [9 bids]
THE AUTUMN PROJECT Fable CD dreamsludge pelican mogwai year of no light **NEW** US $8.98 Buy It Now 10h 35m
LONG-VIEW LONGVIEW "SUBVERSIONS" REMIX LP MOGWAI ELBOW JACK KNIFE LEE US $9.93 Buy It Now 10h 46m
David Holmes Don't Die Just Yet UK Promo 12" NM Mogwai US $9.00 Buy It Now 11h 32m
Hawk Is Howling - Mogwai New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.70 Buy It Now 12h 8m
DATACH'I This Is My EP 12" Vinyl Mogwai Kid606 Cex Bogdan Raczynski LOW 4.00 US $15.99 Buy It Now 12h 16m
MOGWAI DOUBLE CD - MOGWAI YOUNG TEAM DELUXE EXC CONDITION US $10.76 Buy It Now 13h 7m
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People (CD New) US $14.91 Buy It Now 14h 3m
DEAFHEAVEN / BOSSE-DE-NAGE split LP NEW Cali black metal/post HC Flenser mogwai US $18.99 Buy It Now 14h 14m
Earth Division EP by Mogwai US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
** MOGWAI ROCK ACTION ORIGINAL 2001 LP VINYL RECORD NEAR MINT 12" MATADOR OOP ** US $38.00 [0 bids]
Come on Die Young by Mogwai (CD, Apr-1999, Matador (record label)) Post Rock 0 US $6.25 [0 bids]
PELICAN self-titled CD instrumental sludge metal gore earth godflesh mogwai NEW US $11.98 Buy It Now 16h 48m
MOGWAI - LES REVENANTS [5051083068437] - NEW CD US $22.39 Buy It Now 18h 12m
MOGWAI ZIDANE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK BY MOGWAI IMPORT CD SEALED PIAS SEALED US $9.00 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Zidane A 21st Century Portrait [CD New] US $14.16 Buy It Now 20h 3m
Mogwai Lot. Excellent Condition. 7 CD Lot. Singles. Post-Rock US $20.00 [0 bids]
MOGWAI - ZIDANE: A 21ST CENTURY PORTRAIT NEW CD US $21.96 Buy It Now 21h 34m
MOGWAI The Rave Tapes LP Sub-Pop Loser Edition Green Vinyl ( NOT Zidane Toe US $18.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI: Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will LP (2 LPs, w/ MP3 download of ent US $25.00 Buy It Now 22h 36m
MOGWAI Ten Rapid CD NEW US $11.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Government Commissions: BBC Sessions 1996-2004 by Mogwai (CD, Feb-2005,... US $5.50 [0 bids]
Matador At 15 (2CD+DVD) SEALED Cat Power Mogwai Belle Sebastian Interpol Matmos US $18.23 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI - ZIDANE-21st CENTURY PORTRAIT - NEW VINYL LP ALBUM US $31.49 Buy It Now 1 day
MONO PORTLAND 2005 S/N GUY BURWELL A/P POSTER LIMITED EDITION MOGWAI GY!BE RARE US $275.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Young Team by Mogwai (CD, Oct-1997, Jet Set Records) US $2.00 [0 bids]
MOGWAI A Wretched Virile Lore CD NEW & SEALED US $11.53 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI-MR Beast(2006)-ACID ROCK-New AND Sealed US $11.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Alternative Rock Collection 7CD Set Mogwai Fleet Foxes Scrawl Stereolab Notwist US $22.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Young Team (Deluxe) NEW 2 x CD US $10.70 Buy It Now 1 day
TIDES / GIANT split CD OOP metallic post-rock Red Sparowes Rosetta Mono Mogwai US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
REMEMBER REMEMBER (MOGWAI) - THE MIXENING (NEW ROCK ACTION REMIX CD ALBUM) US $8.28 [0 bids]
REMEMBER REMEMBER (MOGWAI) - LA MAYO / MAGNETS (NEW ROCK ACTION PROMO CD SINGLE) US $4.96 [0 bids]
LOT - 6 Mogwai Albums on CD - 6 Album/8-Disc Bundle/Set US $38.99 [0 bids]
Godspeed You Black Emperor Lift Your Skinny Fists LP gybe mogwai post rock US $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI Happy Songs For Happy People set of 2 UK promo fold-out flyers MINT US $6.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai : Ten Rapid CD (1997) US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CRIPPLED BLACK PHOENIX "A Love of Shared Disasters" (CD) ELECTRIC WIZARD MOGWAI US $13.05 Buy It Now 1 day
Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will, Mogwai, Good US $4.63 Buy It Now 1 day
MOGWAI | KICKING A DEAD PIG | FEAR SATAN REMIXES | 2 CDS | FREE SHIPPING! US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CRAIG ARMSTRONG cd AS IF TO NOTHING bono U2 mogwai photek King Crimson Dando US $8.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI-LES REVENANTS-JAPAN CD F23 US $28.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But Yo (2011) - Used - Compact Disc US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - Come On Die Young - deluxe 4xLP box US $93.27 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai: Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will CD New US $21.54 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI ?- MR. BEAST Double LP - New & Sealed US $33.15 Buy It Now 2 days
AEREOGRAMME "White Paw" 12" EP LP Import Mogwai Isis US $13.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI Mr Beast Double Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $31.43 Buy It Now 2 days
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm Remixed (CD, 2005) / Four Tet, Mogwai, M83 etc US $1.64 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Kicking A Dead Pig (NEW CD) US $13.66 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Ep + 6 (NEW CD) US $13.66 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling (NEW CD) US $12.84 Buy It Now 2 days
Maserati "Towers Were Wires" 7" Explosions in the Sky Mogwai Russian Circles US $5.99 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Rock Action (NEW CD) US $13.66 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Ten Rapid (NEW CD) US $10.35 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI Mr. beast 2006 USA ADVNCE PROMO CD MINT OLE681 US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Earth Division (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $18.64 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - ROCK ACTION (LTD) NEW CD US $23.87 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - A Wrenched Virile Lore (NEW CD) US $15.32 Buy It Now 2 days
LONGVIEW VS MOGWAI IN A DREAM 7" VINYL ONE SIDED PROMO US $16.57 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Rock Action (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $31.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Come on Die Young by Mogwai (CD, Mar-1999, Chemikal Underground (USA) US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Happy Songs for Happy People by Mogwai Enhanced edition US $65.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Young Team - Deluxe Edition (NEW CD) US $12.84 Buy It Now 2 days
Manic Street Preachers - You Stole The Sun From My Heart CD Mogwai David Holmes US $0.41 [0 bids]
Mogwai 2x LP Come on die young Chemikal underground 1st press BEAUTIFUL COPY US $51.41 [5 bids]
Mogwai No Education = No Future (Fuck The Curfew) EP UK CD single Digipack. US $11.61 [0 bids]
Limited Edition CD Single MOGWAI Sweet Leaf b/w MAGOO Black Sabbath NEW / MINT US $6.62 [0 bids]
Limited Edition 10 Track CD Album + Making of DVD MOGWAI Mr Beast NEW / MINT US $13.25 [0 bids]
Rare Limited Edition 7" Single ESKA Trucking & Paving EP MOGWAI US $14.91 [0 bids]
Rare Limited Edition 7" Single ESKA Last Man On The Moon EP NEW / MINT MOGWAI US $8.28 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Kicking A Dead Pig [CD New] US $38.09 Buy It Now 2 days
Gremlins The Gift of the Mogwai 33 1/3 RPM US $5.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai, Mogwai Audio CD US $8.39 Buy It Now 2 days
MOGWAI - Mr. BEAST ??? ? ??? BRAND NEW ?????? CD ????? US $9.50 Buy It Now 2 days
OST BY MOGWAI: ZIDANE. A 21st CENTURY PORTRAIT ??? ? ??? ?????? CD ????? US $9.50 Buy It Now 2 days
WATTER / THIS WORLD CD 2014 (Grails, Slint, Evergreen, Mogwai, Fennesz, Rodan) US $7.00 [0 bids]
MOGWAI Friend Of The Night 7" Vinyl Record 2006 1st Pressing OUT OF PRINT RARE US $14.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI "Rave Tapes" LP + 7" - SubPop 2014 - Loser Edition - New US $36.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Les Revenants by Mogwai (CD, Feb-2013, Rock Action) US $11.40 Buy It Now 2 days
Esben and the Witch - Chorea RSD 12" MOGWAI REMIX US $24.86 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai Ep + 6 CD (UK Import) NEW US $10.45 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai Kicking A Dead Pig CD (UK Import) NEW US $10.45 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Earth Division [CD New] US $9.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Sk/um *I Pagu Fallsins - Resonant LP* Mum Sigur Ros Mogwai Radiohead Slowblow US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Zidane: A 21st Century Portait NEW CD US $10.96 Buy It Now 3 days
Come on Die Young - Mogwai (CD, 1999, Matador) US $2.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MOGWAI - Special Moves - CD+DVD US $23.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai Happy Songs For Happy People CD (UK Import) NEW US $11.49 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai Mr Beast CD (UK Import) NEW US $9.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Young Team (1999) US $1.64 [0 bids]
MOGWAI - HARDCORE WILL NEVER DIE, BUT YOU WILL - NEW CD BOXSET US $24.71 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Zidane - A 21st Century Portait - PIASX067CD US $12.82 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rave Tapes [Vinyl New] US $21.93 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rock Action [Vinyl New] US $36.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rock Action [CD New] US $15.91 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy MOGWAI music online Buy MOGWAI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MOGWAI DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MOGWAI My Father, My King ratings distribution

MOGWAI My Father, My King reviews

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Am i wasting my time doing this review?

I said that because of this: My Father My King is not a studio album, but a single which was released in 2001, with onl the self titled album, this same EP was also released in Australia and New Zealand but with a two more songs ("you dont know jesus", and "Helicon 1" both songs live).

Actually what im going to review is only one song, it could be ridicolous, for example you can review Mike Oldfieldīs Amarok, which is One-song-album indeed , but itīs totally different because of the lenght, Amarokīs total time is one hour, My father My King are 20 minutes,but 20 minutes of great music.

So the answer to the first question is a clear NO, i am not wasting my time doing this review, because 20 minuutes are eough to enjoy music, which is also well done andvery well created. As we know Mogwai is a Post - Rock band which has done some good albums such as Rock Action or Happy Songs fo happy People (anyway this is not my favorite post rock band at all), so you can imagine the sound of this single - song.

My Father My King is a 20 minute song which has that typical guitar sound of post rock bands, it could be maybe repetitive, but actually that repetitive sound makes this kind of music great, another fact is that during the song we can find mood changes, all done by great guitar sound, from soft sound making a sad emotion, to explosive guitars that makes you move your head and scream , all the song has a similar sound between itīs parts, (the song is not divided in parts, but when i listen to it i can cut it and imagine that is divided), i find it so emotional, and after all i think it is a great song.

Because it is a single, which has only one song, i should give it only 2 stars (for fans only), but because i really enjoy this 20 minutes, i will give it 3 stars!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#79218) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 24, 2006

4 stars 4.5 stars. I love the title of this EP. This is their interpretation of an old Jewish hymn that was sung at their New Year's fetival.They have translated the Hebrew words into English in the liner notes. They basically ask God to end famine, hate, oppression and war from the earth and to bless themselves and their children. It opens with a confession of sin and asks for compassion. This is a 20 minute song that they often ended their concerts with.

It starts out quiet as it slowly builds to almost a full sound 1 1/2 minutes in. 3 1/2 minutes in the sound is fantastic ! And a minute later they are kicking ass ! This is a powerful wall of sound. 6 1/2 minutes in the sound starts to soften until it's down to a whisper 8 minutes in. It's building again. 10 1/2 minutes in they have unleashed an explosion of sound that is almost frightning. This is as heavy as hell, and the lava flows for 6 minutes ! After that it's like a train that takes some time to come to a stop as the heaviness gradually grinds to a halt.

This is a must have for all Post-Rock fans and especially MOGWAI fans. A truly amazing and gratifying listen. Almost perfect.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#133863) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 19, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars "My Father, My King" is an EP released in 2001 by UK, Scotland, Glasgow based post rock act Mogwai. "My Father, My King" was released around the same time as "Rock Action (2001)" and "Happy Songs For Happy People (2003)", which are widely considered some of the bandīs best releases.

The EP only features one track but itīs 20:13 minutes long which should, as far as I remember, make it the longest track the band has made so far. Around the time of the two above mentioned albums Mogwai had developed a rare sense for melody thatīs become their trademark and I was hoping that "My Father, My King" would be in the same vein as the tracks on those two albums. Itīs rather different though. This is a very slow building post rock track. Very repetitive and quite frankly a bit to long for itīs own good. The material on "My Father, My King" could easily have been destilled to a 5 minutes long track. Iīm sure that 5 minute track would have been great but 20 minutes are simply too long when this little happens. I know this kind of music is suppossed to take you on an emotional rollercoaster, and sometimes it does work when the climaxes and the more mellow parts compliment each other, but the track just gets too repetitive in the end. And whatīs with the that noisy ending? Thatīs plain annoying. All complaints aside I do enjoy the really heavy section of the track very much. These guys are so great when they decide to play some heavy stuff.

The musicianship and the production are as usual of high standard when weīre talking a Mogwai release.

I canīt say "My Father, My King" is exactly what I had hoped for and honestly I have a hard time appreciating what the band have cooked up for us this time around. That doesnīt mean itīs not a quality product though and Iīm sure fans of the more repetitive, longdrawn post rock style, who possess more patience than I do with slow building tracks, will enjoy this EP more than I do. A 2.5 - 3 star (55%) rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#245208) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 19, 2009

Review by Neu!mann
3 stars This has to be a mistake: only six reviews so far, and half of those only a rating, for a truly epic piece of music easily accessible in its entirety on the band's page here at Prog Archives.

All right, so it isn't exactly an essential experience, and especially not for old school Progheads still dragging their heels in a mid-1970s symphonic rut. But Mogwai's year 2001 single is the quintessential primer for open-eared newcomers, and could easily have been subtitled "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Post-Rock (*...But Were Afraid to Ask)".

Over it's gradually unfolding twenty-minute length the song - entirely instrumental, of course - spotlights all the stylistic conventions (or clichés, if you insist) of that very loud musical movement, including the majestic tempos, the steady 4/4 rhythm, and the slow thematic development, typically reaching a climax in an apotheosis of pure noise: fuzzed-out guitars, lots of crashing ride cymbals, and so forth. In this example the song ends in a sustained wall of feedback lasting several minutes, and finally halted with the abruptness of a pulled plug...hardly surprising, given the alarming surge of energy beforehand.

The haunting melody was borrowed from a Yom Kippur prayer (Avinu Malkeinu, not often heard in Presbyterian Glasgow), here given a suitably melancholy arrangement building from an almost subliminal intro to a level of power strong enough to incinerate the Temple of Solomon. The band's own description of the music is, "two parts serenity and one part death metal", but it's possible they have their ratios confused.

Arguably the song is too simple to justify its length; it certainly overstays its welcome long before the extended non-resolution. But on the other hand there's no reason why it couldn't have continued for another twenty or thirty hypnotic minutes. If more liturgical music were given a similar treatment, I might happily reconsider my longstanding religious skepticism.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#299780) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 19, 2010

Review by Warthur
4 stars Mogwai bill this a "companion piece" to the Rock Action - actually, I think it overshadows that album a little. My Father My King is an instrumental which the band had used to close their concerts for some time before tackling the task of recording it. Sure, maybe it is Mogwai's way of saying "We can do 20 minute tracks too, so don't think Godspeed You Black Emperor proved anything with Lift Your Skinny Fists!", but even so as far as 20-minute heavy post-rock workouts go it's pretty impressive. In fact, it's probably Mogwai's best non-album track altogether. Play it loud and play it with patience.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#651663) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 09, 2012

Post a review of MOGWAI "My Father, My King"