WILLOWGLASS

Studio Album, released in 2005

1. Peace (1:26)
2. Remembering (8:34)
3. Garden (8:15)
4. Interlude No. 1 (1:36)
5. Tower Of The King's Daughter (7:10)
6. Summer's Lease (0:18)
7. Into The Chase (4:29)
8. A Blinding Light (6:36)
9. Waking The Angels (5:45)
10. The End (1:46)

Search WILLOWGLASS Willowglass lyrics

Search WILLOWGLASS Willowglass tabs

- Andrew Marshall / electric & acoustic guitars, 12-string guitar, classical guitar, bass, keyboards, flute and some drums
- Dave Brightman / drum

CD Independent WGCD001 (2005)

WILLOWGLASS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy WILLOWGLASS Willowglass Music

WillowglassWillowglass
Ais 2013
Book of HoursBook of Hours
Willowglass 2008
WillowglassWillowglass
Dark Peak 2005

More places to buy WILLOWGLASS music online Buy WILLOWGLASS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for WILLOWGLASS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

WILLOWGLASS Willowglass ratings distribution

WILLOWGLASS Willowglass reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars WOW, lots of Mellotron and sensitive electric guitar soli! I can make an extensive review but I keep it short (and I refer to the other two fine reviews): if you like mid-Genesis and early IQ or bands like Camel and BJH, I highly recomended this CD to you, what an amazing and often moving progrock experience this is and what a stunning appearance from the 'Mighty Tron'! And it's mainly made by multi-instrumentalist Andrew Marshall, with help from Dave Brightman on drums. Don't expect original or complex prog, just let yourself carry away by this very pleasant and melodic prog!

THIS IS A SPLENDID DEBUT CD!!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#49904) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 03, 2005

Review by tszirmay
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars You are spot on POTS! I also bought this from Syn-Phonic subsequent to the review posted here, which proves again the inherent value of such a site (from Quebec , just like POTS and myself!: we are a hotbed of Prog , if you didn't know). I am quite bold in stating that this was 2005's top 5 progressive CDs, , as it relives some classic prog luminaries , on the mellower side such as Genesis, Camel and Focus. Not a big fan of one man shows (that often yield maudlin results), this recording was received in the mail with minimal anticipation so as not to be disappointed and I was simply in heaven!I strongly urge my fellow progsters to succumb to its highly obvious charm and likewise put the sleeve up on the mantel , as the artwork is quite revealing of the juicy content (remember when we used to buy vinyl LPs just based on the progressive artwork! Ah, those were magical days!) . Andrew Marshall is as adept on keys (strong Banks influence) as on guitar where the Latimer-Hackett-Akkerman inspiration serve as a launching pad for some timely and well turned flights. Precious, fragile yet grandiose stuff indeed. Exceptional tracks include: Remembering, Tower of the King and Waking with Angels . 5 nostalgic trons

Send comments to tszirmay (BETA) | Report this review (#71997) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Review by Chris S
3 stars Definitely a blend between Camel and Genesis with some Anthony Phillips guitar styles in there too. It is a beautiful album which indicates how talented Andrew Marshall is. The influences are all there yet there is nothing notable on the album that smacks of plagiarism so I have to give this debut album a big thumbs up for being truly progressive, symphonic and so 70's sounding like in it's authenticity.' Garden' featured in stream on this site is simply stunning and acted as the catalyst to pick up the album. This is a concept album but other highlights would be ' A Blinding Light' and ' Waking The Angels'. More please from Willowglass. Three and a half stars.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#109393) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 29, 2007

Review by Finnforest
3 stars Modest symphonic/neo-prog success

Another reviewer mentions not being a fan of one-man shows as there is often something missing when the collaborative dynamic is not present. But he is correct in asserting that is not the case here. Andrew Marshall has done a good job of making this "sound" like a full band and is helped by bringing in drummer Dave Brightman.

The music of Willowglass is a pastoral prog lover's dream come true, not to mention a mellotron lover's dream. Fans of classic bucolic prog like Harmonium, Celeste, Anthony Phillips, and XII Alfonso will want to take special note of this album. While not as successful as Harmonium or Celeste, you have an entire album dedicated to the most romantic and lovely themes and melodies with plenty of space and patience for everything to unfold. Slow to medium paced drum and bass backbone set the stage for constant progressions of electric and acoustic guitars, classical guitars, flutes, and keyboards. As I mentioned before this album features TONS of mellotron for tron junkies. The guitar playing is tasteful and lovely and in the vein of early 70s Genesis or perhaps Camel although they will not be taken to heavier rock conclusions here as they do sometimes in those bands. There is a slight Renaissance folk music feel to some of the tracks as well. One misstep to my ears is the drumming on the track "Waking the Angels." While the guitar melody is again great, the drumbeat here has a very modern "programmed" sound that sort of breaks the spell that you are somewhere in the past. How Marshall could have possibly concluded that was a good choice for this album I'll never know! It sounds like the percussion from a Dido track. This is a decent album that will please fans of modern symphonic and neo-prog but it is hardly essential. It has some nice moments but there are probably hundreds of symphonic albums to hear before you get to this one. Lee Gaskins gets an assist in the overall presentation of the release for the stunning artwork that adorns the packaging. I only wish there were more of it, the inner booklet is a scant 2 page foldover. 6/10

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#147865) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 28, 2007

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars We expect mellotron, he starts with piano. But don't worry, good ol' mell will come later. I love sound of it, so I'm pleased by this album at maximum level (reminds me their better, newer album). It's pure symphony, modern approach to classical music. Not so melodic as their second, it's line is less clear to see, but as music used for floating away (I do it from time to time, just relaxing, meditating) is very useful (when you want to rest in progressive peace). I also see this one as more peaceful from these two, not so strong synths, acoustic guitar more used (I think). But there's problem which (also) is advantage at the same time. These tracks are similar one to another, which happens quite often when it's one man project (not band as I'm used to). This prevents me from giving it best mark. I like it, but could I like this more if it would be better ? There's probably a story, but I can't really feel into it to understand it. "Tower of the King's Daughter" sounds like something fantasy/medieval, which also cover art (beautiful one) suggests. But all I have are hints.

Four stars for so good music, but not so appealing as it could be (for me)

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#235536) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 28, 2009

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars What a nice surprise! Very good progressive instrumental music done with competence and love. This one band project is much better than I expected when I first heard about it. Ok, nothing here is very original or groundbreaking. In fact, Andrew Marshall does not even try to hide his fondness for the music of Genesis (around the Wind & Wuthering period), Camel, Pink Floyd and even some bits of Yes. Even the arrangements and instruments seem to be drawn from that classic era. But boy, does it sound good!

There is little doubt that the man also knows how to write some nice tunes in that frame of work. His compositions sound fresh and exciting, even if lacking some personality and boldness at times. But since this is his first efford, I guess it is ok. All the tracks are very good with lots of vintage keyboards (mellotrons, Hammond, Arp, etc), Hackett-like electric guitar solos, nice flute parts and so on. Sometimes I miss a little vocal here and there, but otherwise Willowglass is a strong debut. The guy is a very talented artist and Im looking forward to hear their next releases.

In the end I dont think this CD is really essential, but it is far more than just good. My final rating would be somewhere between 3,5 and 4 stars. Recommended to any fan of good instrumental prog music with lots of classic 70s bands references.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#236064) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 31, 2009

Review by progrules
4 stars This is going to be the last chapter of my small trilogy of laid back melodic albums I'm reviewing today and you almost could say I saved the best for last. After Edhels' Still Dream and Edith's Dreams, two albums of which the title says it all in fact it's now high time for the Willowglass debut. And it's almost the best of the three because all things considered I personally prefer Edhels but it's a tough call which is objectively the greatest.

When I checked this album out first few times I often associated it with Camel, a band Willowglass is also referred to in the band description and is the best comparison I feel. Pink Floyd and Anthony Phillips are also mentioned, all with good right but will all three the vocals play an important role and Willowglass is 100% instrumental, one of the reasons I love this band so much.

When I played this album I always completely fell for second track (and first lengthy one) Remembering, such a wonderful tune making you surrender and long for more. And more there is on this fabulous debut. Most people prefer their follow up Book of Hours and all things considered so do I but that's no reason to sell this beauty short. Also the self titled debut is totally worthy of the four stars. If you want to sit back and relax, play this one. It's perfect !

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#250601) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 14, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars The only reference I can suggest here is an instrumental comparison to Trespass some thirty years after this great album.

Each of the genuine parts of this essential album is present: subtle fluting, gentle acoustic guitar and some good mellotron. What I am lacking is the drama of the lyrics, the ? absence of vocals. If you have read some of my reviews, you probably know that I quite like instrumental works (or at least passages), but with this sort of music; a few words might have been welcome.

This is at times too much derivative: "Tower Of The King's Daughter" (hi "Watcher"). When you look at the album cover, you have almost understood the content: pastoral English music. With a slice of a symphony.

The problem with such an album is that you get quite soon burned out with such content. The miracle of a couple of songs can't be repeated for long and at the end of the day, the music turns out to be quite average in terms of compositions ("Into The Chase").

I rate this album with no more than three stars. The more I listen to it, the less I can find any originality in here.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#307254) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 29, 2010

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
4 stars Willowglass is actually a one-man project,who is Andrew Marshall,a multi-instrumentalist based in Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, UK.With a love for progressive rock,especially the legendary English names of the 70's,Andrew decided to record an album as a tribute to this magnificent vintage sound with only the help of drummer Dave Brightman.Marshall handles all guitars,keyboards,flutes and bass on this all instrumental debut,carrying the name of the project as a title and released in 2005.

From the opening notes the influences from 70's UK Classic Prog are dominant.The short instrumentals on this album are definitely of the ANTHONY PHILLIPS/GENESIS school,attractive, delicate, pastoral acoustic music often supported by lovely flutes and mellotron.In the longer ones Marshall seems influenced by both the Symphonic and Folk Rock scene of the Island.''Remembering'' is absolutely fantastic,grandiose spacy synth Symphonic Music blended with CAMEL-esque jazzy guitars and some GENESIS soft folkiness towards the end.''Garden'' is closer to Folk Prog,excellent atmosphere under acoustic guitars and mellotron with a nice and intense outro.''Tower of the King's Daughter'' is maybe the weakest track,not because it's bad,but mainly due to the heavy plagiarism on the BANKS-ian moog synth sounds,seems like coming out of ''Selling England by the pound''.With ''Into The Chase'' Marshall goes back on his unique track,fine blending of KING CRIMSON-influenced mellotron,GENTLE GIANT-ish clavinet with a superb GILMOUR-ish guitar section later.On ''A Blinding Light'' organ makes its strongest presence,mixed well with the piano and guitars of Marshall,again delivering some trippy melodic soundscapes.''Waking The Angels'' is another huge highlight,almost entirely built around keys (mellotron-choir,spacey synths),flutes and acoustic guitars,offering absolutely dreamy musicianship of the highest quality.

Willowglass is one of the very few bands around with very strong retro-influences,which keeps the quality of their music on,at least, the same level as its loving bands of the past.This album is so elegant,dreamy,melodic and carefully composed,it is almost possible not to spin it back in your CD player.Highly recommended to all fans of 70's Classic Progressive Rock.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#507613) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 23, 2011

3 stars Willowglass is pure symphonic prog; lots of mellotron, synthesisers, flutes, acoustic guitar, choirs, and so on, with no vocals. The atmosphere is mostly laid back and at times relaxing, with all focus on recapturing the sound of 70s symphonic prog. In fact the production of Willowglass would cause ... (read more)

Report this review (#566521) | Posted by Quirky Turkey | Saturday, November 12, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The man behind the Willowglass project lives and work in the same village as the chaotic, hilarious TV sitcom Last Of The Summerwine was filmed. The music on this album is not chaotic though. Take some of the best from the 1970s symphonic prog scene and then add some New Age, folk and jazz to ... (read more)

Report this review (#455659) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Wednesday, June 01, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The eponymous debut release from Willlowglass gives one an exciting glimpse into an artist who seems to be able to bridge the beloved prog music of Genesis, Camel, and even KC & Nektar in the early-to-mid-1970s and the much more mature second release, Book of Hours (2008). The highs on this disc are ... (read more)

Report this review (#204759) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Sunday, March 01, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I heard the two Willowglass releases in reverse chronological order, so i expected this debut release to be somewhat less stellar than it's brilliant follow-up (the mighty Book of Hours). On the first few listens I felt that was the case; the songs failed to hold my attention as well as Book of H ... (read more)

Report this review (#201793) | Posted by AdamHearst | Thursday, February 05, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars One of the best albums of 2005. Willowglass is all instrumental and reminds me of early seventies prog like Mike Oldfield and Anthony Phillips. There are not many catchy melodies here, but rather dreamy and mellow atmospheric soundscapes with a feel of improvisation. However, this is not ambi ... (read more)

Report this review (#76698) | Posted by 1971 | Sunday, April 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I love this album, Andrew should be very proud of it. The streamed song: Garden is an excellent example of what's in store so if you like that, then I would say the rest of the album is just as strong. All the tracks are very melodic and heavily laden with mellotron choir and strings. The ... (read more)

Report this review (#75076) | Posted by Squonk1965 | Saturday, April 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is an excellent debut album from the multi-instrumental Andrew Marshall. I bought this cd after reading the review on this site and it hit the spot right away. I love this album because it reminds me of the old good Genesis (don't forget it's an instrumental). Every track are good if you lik ... (read more)

Report this review (#71995) | Posted by pots | Wednesday, March 15, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is the all-instrumental debut album by talented multi-instrumentalist Andrew Marshall who lives in deepest, darkest Yorkshire. If you want to know what's inside, just take a look at the gorgeous artwork by Lee Gaskins, who is also responsible for the artwork on the Pilgrym CD ... a you ... (read more)

Report this review (#43737) | Posted by felona | Sunday, August 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Genesis meets Camel meets a man who knows his music! This instrumental album by one man, Andrew Marshall (with a little help from Dave Brightman on drums), is quite frankly an excellent debut. Of course the music is reminiscent of early Genesis and Camel but it is just that, not slavishly ... (read more)

Report this review (#41156) | Posted by progadder | Monday, August 01, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of WILLOWGLASS "Willowglass"