MUSIC FROM MACBETH

Studio Album, released in 1972

1. Overture (4:19)
2. Beach (1:53)
3. Lady Macbeth (1:48)
4. Inverness: Macbeth's Return / The Preparation Fanfare / Duncan's Arrival (4:58)
5. The anquet (1:20)
6. Dagger and Death (2:49)
7. At the Well / The Princes' Escape / Coronation / Come Sealing Night (2:18)
8. Court Dance (3:09)
9. Fleance (4:00)
10. Grooms' Dance (4:21)
11. Bear Baiting (1:09)
12. Ambush / Banquo's Ghost (2:26)
13. Going to Bed / Blind Man's Buff / Requiescant / Sere and Yellow Leaf (3:03)
14. Cauldron (1:24)
15. Prophecies (3:07)
16. Wicca Way (1:26)

Bonus tracks on Esoteric 2019:
17. Court Dance (1st version) (3:15)
18. Groom's Dance (1st version) (4:23)
19. Fleance (1st version) (3:58)

- Glenn Sweeney / drums, percussion
- Paul Minns / oboe, recorder
- Simon House / violin, VCS3
- Paul Buckmaste / violoncello & bass)
- Denim Bridges / guitars

- Keith Chegwin / boy soprano vocals on 'Fleance'

Soundtrack to Roman Polanski's film Macbeth.
LP: Harvest.
Several CD reissues, e.g. Esoteric Recordings 2019 (PECLEC 2656)

and to Matti for the last updates

Buy THIRD EAR BAND Music From Macbeth Music

$47.13
Music From MacbethMusic From Macbeth
Belle 2019
$46.99

THIRD EAR BAND: Music from Macbeth HARVEST UK Orig A-1/B-1 Folk Avant LP NM USD $75.00 Buy It Now 15h 2m
Third Ear Band Music from Macbeth UK CD Blueprint 1999 No Experimental Prog Folk USD $27.08 Buy It Now 2 days
THIRD EAR BAND Music From Macbeth JAPAN CD TOCP-65788 2003 OBI USD $75.44 Buy It Now 3 days
Third Ear Band - Music from Macbeth, Harvest SHSP 4019, EX/EX USD $31.52 [0 bids]
THIRD EAR BAND-Music From Macbeth-72/2003 CD MINI LP USD $22.00 Buy It Now 6 days
THIRD EAR BAND - MUSIC FROM MACBETH: REMASTERED & EXPANDED EDITION USED - VERY G USD $11.98 Buy It Now 8 days
PROMO WHITE LABEL / THIRD EAR BAND MUSIC FROM MACBETH / ODEON USD $69.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Third Ear Band - Music From MacBeth [New CD] USD $11.39 Buy It Now 12 days
Third Ear Band - Music From Macbeth: Remastered & Expanded Edition (NEW CD) USD $16.38 Buy It Now 13 days
THIRD EAR BAND-MUSIC FROM MACBETH-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK G35 USD $30.99 Buy It Now 13 days
THIRD EAR BAND-MUSIC FROM MACBETH-IMPORT CD WITH JAPAN OBI F30 USD $26.50 Buy It Now 13 days
THIRD EAR BAND: Music From Macbeth RARE UK FOLK-PROG/ PSYCH 1972 ORIG on HARVEST USD $45.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Third Ear Band Music From Macbeth 1999 Blueprint U.K. CD Prog Soundtrack USD $13.00 Buy It Now 13 days
THIRD EAR BAND MUSIC FROM MACBETH JAPAN MINI LP CD NEW USD $44.87 Buy It Now 13 days
Third Ear Band Music From Macbeth CD NEW SEALED Soundtrack USD $7.55 Buy It Now 14 days
THIRD EAR BAND: Music From Macbeth LP (UK, original green label, textured cover USD $45.00 Buy It Now 14 days
Music From Macbeth by Third Ear Band: New USD $17.98 Buy It Now 15 days
Third Ear Band ?- Music From Macbeth Label: Harvest ?- TOCP-71517 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 15 days
Third Ear Band - Music From MacBeth [New CD] USD $10.51 Buy It Now 15 days
Music From Macbeth Third Ear Band Vinyl Record USD $37.76 Buy It Now 16 days
THIRD EAR BAND - Music From Macbeth: Remastered & Expanded Edition - CD USD $16.66 Buy It Now 17 days
THIRD EAR BAND-MUSIC FROM MACBETH CD NEW USD $16.58 Buy It Now 18 days
Third Ear Band - Music From Macbeth [New CD] Expanded Version, Rmst, UK - Import USD $18.09 Buy It Now 18 days
Third Ear Band - Music from Macbeth (1990) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST USD $9.59 Buy It Now 20 days
Third Ear Band - Music from Macbeth Vinyl LP UK 1st A1/B1 1975 OST Folk Prog NM USD $56.74 Buy It Now 21 days
THIRD EAR BAND-MUSIC FROM MACBETH CD NEW USD $18.62 Buy It Now 21 days
Third Ear Band - Music From Macbeth (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.00 Buy It Now 22 days
Third Ear Band Music From Macbeth UK vinyl LP album record SHSP4019 HARVEST USD $70.23 Buy It Now 23 days
Third Ear Band - Music From Macbeth - ID34z - SHSP 4019 USD $86.24 Buy It Now 23 days
THIRD EAR BAND Music From Macbeth CD Europe Bgo 1990 15 Track (Bgocd61) USD $10.58 Buy It Now 23 days
Third Ear Band - Music From Macbeth - ID34z - SHSP 4019 USD $71.87 Buy It Now 24 days
Third Ear Band - Music From Macbeth: Remastered & Expanded Edition NEW CD USD $14.32 Buy It Now 24 days
THIRD EAR BAND - MUSIC FROM MACBETH CD NEW+ USD $24.82 Buy It Now 25 days
Third Ear Band - Music From Macbeth UK LP 1990 /3* USD $33.99 Buy It Now 27 days

More places to buy THIRD EAR BAND music online Buy THIRD EAR BAND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

THIRD EAR BAND Music From Macbeth ratings distribution

THIRD EAR BAND Music From Macbeth reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars If you are familiar with TEB's sound , you can easily imagine that this sort of music would make a terrific soundtrack to a tense movie. And Roman Polanski did such a film (which I have never seen, BTW) based on Shakespeare's MacBeth.

However , one cannot say that this is a typical TEB album as the music is rather different, offering many short tracks , some with vocalizing. There is an eerie beautyfulness and gothic feel to this music , but somehow , I always found something was missing. Maybe the film images.

TEB have actually won an award (a grammy or its British equivalent) for this soundtrack , which brought them fame , but although they had recorded the following album (their best IMHO), but for some reason, they chose to pack it in. The last album called The Magus gaining only this year its release, I suggest you start out with the debut album or the Magus

Review by philippe
4 stars Composed as a soundtrack, Music from Macbeth represents an other mysterious, "weird" exploration in progressive "ethnic trance". A first distinction with "Alchemy" & their self title is the accentuation put on dissonant sounds and medieval harmonies and instrumentation. The album is also less rhythmical and more difficult to approach despite that is a soundtrack. "Overture" is a dark reminiscence of what we've ever heard on their previous efforts with the addition of guitars. The combination of oboe and the violin is always as evident as before. "The beach" is an atonal atmospheric track dominated by a violin's single sustained note, some concrete noises of "birds" and guitar effects. "Lady Macbeth" is a rather bucolic composition made of plaintive oboe parts and acoustic guitar then come dissonant violin lines. "Macbeth's return" is a folkish medieval writing for dancing violin and oboe parts accompanied by a constant percussion's pulse. "Banquet" is an other folkish composition sustained by long, linear, monotonous and atonal oboe, violin lines. "Dagger and death" catches the essence of embryonic electronic rock experimentations with lot of guitar effects and violin glissandos & "drones". "At the well" is an other dissonant song with minimal jazzy guitar parts. "Fleance" features some female vocals built on a very pastoral, dancing acoustic instrumental. "Bear Baiting" also put the accent on medieval, celtic, acoustic and dancing structure. A beautiful album but less evanescent than the hypnotic and eastern minimalist "alchemy" or "third ear band". This album needs several listenings to be fully appreciated
Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
3 stars Before finding this album I knew The William Shakespeare's classic drama which it was based on, and also the minimalistic and archaic ethnic sound of Third Ear Band was familiar to me, but I did not know that Roman Polanski has also directed a film from this play, the record being it's soundtrack.

The "Overture" brings forth the familiar sound of the group, raw pipe sound playing joylessly in unconventional scales, tribal calm drumming, supported by amplified guitar, bass and some strings. After this the music changes more interesting (for me), as there are some ancient European classical music elements included to the sound in interesting way, and there are some quite formless, personal sequences resembling maybe Brian Eno's Pachelbel variations. There is also some rare element for this group here present, this being singing on the very medieval oriented "Fleance" song. The storyline is followed with quite many simple songs, which are often more sound environments than tonal compositions. The music is maybe not totally fitting to my own taste, but contains still quite fine moments, and being very refreshing personal and different record. The band certainly produces something quite personal with scarce amount of musical elements. Maybe the fastness of some ideas distracted little the listening, and also the pleasant moments are companied with some phases not very pleasant to experience.

If you wish to hear very personal, raw and ancient oriented music, it is certainly provided by this record. Due my interest to European classical and folk music, I think this is so far the most interesting album by this group I have heard, and I have to find an opportunity to experience the original film of the master director.

Review by GruvanDahlman
COLLABORATOR Heavy Prog Team
3 stars As with soooo many scores written for the screen the music is suited for an audiovisual experience, rather than simply listening to it. It's the case with, for instance, Popol Vuh's soundtrack albums to the Herzog movies. Extremely beautiful and engaging, when combined with the actual movie. The same goes for Third Ear Band's "Macbeth".

Whenever I watch the movie, a favorite of mine, I love everything about it, not least the music with it's chaotic, scary ambiance. When I listen to the soundtrack I am less amused. Obviously there's brilliance on this record. The band is brilliant. It is simply a question of the music not being able to sustain the brilliance on it's own. Accompanied by the movie it is an easy four star album, when listened to without the movie a solid three star. That does not mean I fully grasp the music. No, not at all ('cause I don't) but I can feel it, knowing and understanding that it is good.

My favorite track on the album is "Fleance". That track is as gourgeous as music gets. Steeped in history and molded in an amazing coat of a strong, beutiful voice of a young boy it lifts me up and transports me in to Time and Space, allowing me to touch tha world of yesteryear. Obviously I am raving but it is quite a powerful track. When combined with the footage it is heavenly, on it's own captivating. Easily a five star song and one I return to ever so often. I thank Third Ear Band from the bottom of my heart for that track.

Conclusion: Great soundtrack, not so great an album. Brilliant but not as enjoyable on it's own as with the actual movie. Still, "Fleance" is a track making the album worth every single penny.

Review by Dobermensch
3 stars I'm always left wondering why I bought albums by this mob. I guess I'm a real sucker for impressive artwork. Being the soundtrack to Roman Polanski's 'Macbeth' film, you'd think it would be a bit more dramatic.

They're known for their swirling, acoustic trance music. It's certainly swirling - Iistening to this makes me feel like I've been on a Merry-go-round for two hours after drinking a bottle of gin and wanting to get off pronto before the unthinkable happens.

There's an awful lot of droning atonal oboe and violin at play here and despite their professionalism it's terribly untuneful and wayward. In fact it reminds me of the superb band 'Biota' but far more minimalistic, gloomy and grey - and being from the early 70's, played with a lot less effect units. Supposedly there's a VCS3 synth used, but for the life of me I'm never aware of it.

A few notes are repeated incessantly, ovelapping and at odds with one another. It's all strangely discordant and vague. I do like the field recordings of the seagulls and later on - blackbirds. I could be cruel and say that they have more musical sense than 'The Third Ear Band'.

I've never seen the film, so perhaps I'm being a bit harsh here. Perhaps it fits perfectly with the visuals it accompanied? It does remind me of Pasolini's 'Canterbury Tales' movie. Both are similar in sound.

'Macbeth' improves the longer it plays. Your ears and senses become accustomed to the out of time beats, the groaning strings and screeching recorders. It's a 'difficult' album but with perseverance can implausibly be quite rewarding in a sadistic kind of way.

I'll give it this - 'Macbeth' must be the worst hangover album ever made. If you play this on a Sunday morning after a heavy Saturday night, you'll regret it - big time...

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams
4 stars THIRD EAR BAND released their self-tiled album also known as "Elements" in 1970 having found notoriety with their other-worldly mix of folk ragas, chamber music and free jazz cranked out on medieval acoustic instruments. The band managed to score gigs by cohorting with some of the psychedelic 60s bigwigs including Pink Floyd and Pretty Things. During the same year, the band was commissioned to create a soundtrack for the animated film "Abelard And Heloise" but remained unreleased until it finally appeared in 1997 on the book / CD set "Necromancers Of The Floating West."

Although it remained occulted for decades, it still resulted in the band participating in yet another soundtrack, the one for Roman Polanski's dark and sombre version of "Macbeth," which was his first movie he made after the horrifying murder of his pregnant wife, Sharon Tate, who was snuffed out by Charles Manson and his homicidal death cult. Like his real life tales of torturous pain and doom and gloom set in the tenebrous fog and rainy lands of Scotland, Polanski's version of MacBeth reveled in a cursed and terrifying history and in many ways mirrored the very personal experiences he suffered from the miscreant Manson family.

Polanski could not have chosen a more suitable band for his project for no one at the time matched the sheer terrifying sonic scope of THIRD EAR BAND. For their limitations to a mere handful of acoustic instruments such as oboe, recorder, cello, drums and violins, no one else of the era could evoke such hair-raising emotional power as this band could with their utterly alien approach of seeking out new chapters of musical composition. On MUSIC FROM MACBETH, technically the band's third and final album of the first chapter of their initial run, the band straddles beautifully between bizarre formless constructs of sound and more lugubrious renditions of medieval dance and anachronistic swing.

While there is no mistaking the distinct THIRD EAR BAND sound, this album was different than their previous two works. Firstly, the long improvisations that extended to swallow large chunks of their album's real estate had been truncated into sixteen shorter tracks thus allowing a more focused approach. This album also contains electronic effects as well as angelic vocal contributions by a prepubescent 12-year old Keith Chegwin (although sparingly). The album utilizes the same sort of chamber music as before but there are also elements of Indian and Middle Eastern influences strewn about as well. The tracks alternate between more structured period pieces that are somewhat uplifting and completely detached and alienating tracks that utilized the terrifying effects of aleatoric music which THIRD EAR BAND accomplished with astonishing success.

While some soundtracks are made to accompany a cinematic experience and do not hold up on their own two feet, MUSIC FROM MACBETH is an exception as it lends just enough focusing effects on the music to give it a unifying theme yet allows the band to explore their tumultuous and improvisation acid folk techniques to full glory. This is an excellent slice of early 70s freak folk that manages to take a creative road through what one would assume to be tried and tested material. Much like Polanski's personal experiences, "MacBeth" was a dark and sombre take on Shakespeare's famous oeuvre and THIRD EAR BAND's sonic touches proved to be one of the best decisions he made in regarding the perfect film score to match the film's intensity. This music more than stands up on its own and seems like a logical precursor to the chamber rock avant prog that Univers Zero would adopt several years down the road.

Review by Matti
3 stars THIRD EAR BAND was a British instrumental group that released four albums between 1969 and 1972 (later they reactivated and made many more albums). Perhaps they were originally associated to the progressive rock scene more because of their prog-oriented record label Harvest than the nature of the music itself. The band isn't very familiar to me, so I can't compare this work to their other albums. However, this one obviously differs from its predecessors in the way that the tracks are often very short (mostly between 1 and 3 minutes) instead of containing lengthy hypnotic drones, since it was composed for film, Roman Polanski's Macbeth (1971). I haven't seen it, but it seems to have become a respected classic. "Perhaps William Shakespeare meant to have Lady Macbeth perform her sleepwalking scene in the nude -- it was this X-rated scene and the film's much-publicized spurts of violence, rather than the brilliant performances of Jon Finch as Macbeth and Francesca Annis as his Lady, that lured crowds", says Hal Erickson in his All Movie Guide review. Did you know that the film was financed by Playboy?

To demonstrate the uniqueness of TEB, it's good to begin with the unusual instrumentation: oboe and recorder (Paul Minns), cello and bass (Paul Buckmaster), plus guitars, drums, violin and VCS3 synth. The two last mentioned are played by Simon House, formerly of High Tide and later of Hawkwind -- the only member who hasn't any composing credits here. The music is mostly acoustic, pretty much dominated by oboe, cello and violin. Also the simple percussion sounds like the band is after an old music flavour. But they were no Amazing Blondel; no harmonic troubadour stuff but slightly disjointed and gloomy soundscapes. One can imagine how emotionally effective this music is on the film telling the sinister story of Macbeth, but undoubtedly it loses some of its appeal without that context.

A couple of brief tracks such as 'Dagger and Death' are more experimental and disturbing than the rest. The most accessible pieces are the rhythmic 'Court Dance' and 'Fleance', which is the only track featuring vocals. The album credits don't mention the vocalist. Only the close reading of the liner notes (I'm having the new Esoteric Recordings re-release) reveals the name Keith Chegwin -- surprisingly, since one would expect a woman. Apart from the lengthy liner notes (written by the underground writer/archivist Luca Chino Ferrari), the ER reissue contains three bonus tracks, previously unreleased first versions of 'Court Dance', 'Groom's Dance' and 'Fleance'. To my ears the differences are small, but at least the pieces in question are among the album highlights.

Personally speaking, this album didn't make me very interested in Third Ear Band. A bit too odd for my liking... Not that I'd ever been very keen on so called Raga-Rock in general. If you fancy hearing acoustic, oboe and string dominated, old music flavoured and dark-toned instrumental music, especially the new reissue with the detailed liner notes is worth checking out.

3 stars Just when you start to think the third ear band is made up of tone deaf hippies, they surprise you with something quite extraordinary beautiful. I believe the track is called "Fleance" and features a perfect vocal by a choir boy. This track alone is worth the entrance fee. The Film Macbeth ... (read more)

Report this review (#92247) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Wednesday, September 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars There might not be rock band with music peculiar like THIRD EAR BAND. They are rare progressive rock band. It is musical in the Middle Ages.However, it is a work with the atmosphere of Indian music. It is suitable album for calling the masterpiece enhanced. They were going to construct the ... (read more)

Report this review (#50682) | Posted by braindamage | Saturday, October 8, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars This is one of those albums I take out every 12 months or so to listen to and try to understand what it's all about. Sadly despite repeated attempts I still don't get it. What makes it so frustrating is that the 2 previous records have a lot of interesting ideas and some strong world music and ... (read more)

Report this review (#46098) | Posted by Dave Preston | Friday, September 9, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THIRD EAR BAND "Music From Macbeth"