HOT SPACE

1. Staying Power (4:10)
2. Dancer (3:46)
3. Back Chat (4:31)
4. Body Language (4:29)
5. Action This Day (3:32)
6. Put Out the Fire (3:18)
7. Life Is Real (Song for Lennon) (3:28)
8. Calling All Girls (3:50)
9. Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love) (4:26)
10. Cool Cat (3:26)
11. Under Pressure (4:02)
Bonus track
12. Body Language* (1991 Remix) (4:45)

Search QUEEN Hot Space lyrics

Search QUEEN Hot Space tabs

- Brian May / guitars, vocals, keyboards, guitar orchestrations
- Roger Taylor / drums, vocals
- John Deacon / bass guitar
- Freddie Mercury / vocals, piano, concept
With
- David Bowie / vocal, Producer, track 11

1982 & 1991 Queen Productions ltd. rereleased in 1991 by Hollywood Records with 1 bonus track. Produced by Queen and Mack

Thanks to tuxon for the addition
and to Tarcisio Moura for the last updates

QUEEN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy QUEEN Hot Space Music

Universal Japan 2011
Universal Japan 2011
Super Audio CD - DSD · Import
Universal Japan 2012
QUEEN HOT SPACE RARE ORIGINAL EX YUGOSALV IA 1ST PRESSING 1982 EX/EX TO EX+ USD $28.00 Buy It Now 8h 55m
QUEEN HOT SPACE UK 12" VINYL RECORD ALBUM 1982 USD $8.56 [10 bids]
Queen - Hot Space. (1981,U.K.5/6) USD $7.00 [0 bids]
QUEEN HOT SPACE JAPAN OBI REPLICA JACKET TO THE ORIGINAL LP IN A RARE SEALED CD USD $110.49 Buy It Now 12h 2m
Queen 'Hot Space' tour programme. 1982 VGC for age USD $15.55 [0 bids]
Queen- Hot Space- new/sealed cassette tape USD $7.99 [0 bids]
Queen - Hot Space [CD New] USD $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
QUEEN HOT SPACE 1982 JAPAN CD OBI 3008yen CP32 USD $69.99 Buy It Now 1 day
QUEEN HOT SPACE CD MINI LP OBI USD $14.84 Buy It Now 1 day
Hot Space Queen vinyl LP album record UK EMA797 EMI 1982 USD $37.27 Buy It Now 1 day
QUEEN Hot Space 40th Anniversary Digital Remaster BonusEP 2CD Digipak USD $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Queen - Hot Space Asian LP #2 LM-3166 USD $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Queen - Hot Space Asian LP #1 JJB-7012 rare cover USD $450.00 Buy It Now 2 days
QUEEN HOT SPACE 2011 REMASTER NEW CD USD $12.43 Buy It Now 2 days
QUEEN hot space 2008 - WOVEN SEW ON PATCH official merchandise - no longer made USD $6.21 Buy It Now 2 days
QUEEN - Hot Space, ORIGINAL 1982 UK LP/inner.....CLEAN COPY USD $7.77 [1 bids]
Hot Space - Queen USD $14.44 Buy It Now 2 days
QUEEN Hot Space (Cassette) USD $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Queen - Hot Space: 2011 Remaster [CD New] USD $25.19 Buy It Now 2 days
Queen HOT SPACE Cassette Tape Elektra 1982 USD $1.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Queen - Hot Space CD - 2011 Remaster - Deluxe 2 CD - With 5 Bonus Tracks USD $20.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Queen Hot Space-Vinyl LP, Elektra-Record Sealed-E1-60128 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Hot Space: 2011 Remaster - Queen (2011, CD New) USD $23.20 Buy It Now 3 days
Queen - Hot Space (CD New) USD $12.89 Buy It Now 3 days
QUEEN - HOT SPACE [QUEEN] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET USD $14.71 Buy It Now 3 days
QUEEN - Hot Space REMASTER (2CD, 2011, Hollywood Rec.) LIKE NEW, EXCELLENT, RARE USD $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Queen Hot Space USA Cassette Tape Columbia House USD $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
cd-album, QUEEN - Hot Space, 12 Tracks USD $8.07 Buy It Now 3 days
QUEEN HOT SPACE RARE LP USA USD $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Queen Hot Space Guitar Pick Black Leather Necklace USD $6.21 Buy It Now 4 days
QUEEN - HOT SPACE (US CASSETTE/TAPE ALBUM) ELEKTRA PAPER LABELS USD $3.87 Buy It Now 4 days
QUEEN HOT SPACE RARE ORIGINAL EX YUGOSALV IA 1ST PRESSING 1982 EX-/EX USD $26.00 Buy It Now 4 days
queen hot space USD $5.95 [0 bids]
USD $15.95 Buy It Now
Queen Hot Space CD + Book USD $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
11 QUEEN LP:A Night at the Opera,News of World,Hot Space,Game,Sheer Heart Attack USD $7.77 [5 bids]
Hot Space by Queen (1982, Island (Label)) USD $5.80 Buy It Now 4 days
QUEEN-Hot Space UK 11 Track LP A-8 B-6 Matrix EX Cond USD $23.33 Buy It Now 5 days
QUEEN_Hot Space_used cassette_ships from AUSTRALIA!_L3 USD $9.74 Buy It Now 5 days
QUEEN Hot Space CASSETTE TAPE E4-60128 Asylum 1982 Freddie Mercury USD $7.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Queen ?- Hot Space/Elektra ?- E1-60128/US NM Vinyl/In Shrink/Play Tested/Bowie USD $11.00 [0 bids]
QUEEN Hot Space JAPAN MINI LP CD SEALED USD $16.99 [0 bids]
QUEEN 3 CD II / A NIGHT OPERA / HOT SPACE GREEK PROMO SET!!! USD $27.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Queen Hot Space 8 Track Tape TESTED 1982 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Queen ?- Hot Space 1981 12" USA Elektra Copy VG+ Plus Inner USD $24.30 Buy It Now 5 days
Queen: Hot Space Mens Short Sleeve Grey Cotton T-Shirt - New & Official In Pack USD $18.67 Buy It Now 6 days
Queen Hot Space mini LP CD NEW Japan USD $20.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Queen - Hot Space 2CD 2011 40th anniv Island reissue freddie mercury brian may USD $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
QUEEN - HOT SPACE JAPAN OBI LP w/Insert Freddie Mercury Mega Rare ! USD $42.50 Buy It Now 6 days
Queen - Hot Space - 12" LP - Matrix A3/B6 - Dated 1982 USD $6.21 [0 bids]
QUEEN .... HOT SPACE TOUR '82 . 3 CD Rare Live Silver Discs digipak / Japanese USD $59.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Hot Space by Queen USD $9.52 Buy It Now 6 days
QUEEN Hot Space LP Vinyl VG++ Cover VG++ 1981 Lyrics Pic Sleeve "Sterling" USD $34.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Queen-Hot Space CD / Remastered Album NEW USD $22.80 Buy It Now 6 days
Queen LP Hot Space 1981 EX/VG+ USD $15.95 Buy It Now 6 days
Queen - Hot Space (NEW CD) USD $13.21 Buy It Now 6 days
QUEEN HOT SPACE 1982 TOUR PROGRAMME EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $15.55 Buy It Now 7 days
Queen - Hot Space LP 1982 Rare Isareli Press Portrait USD $24.99 Buy It Now 7 days
QUEEN-HOT SPACE-JAPAN SHM-CD E50 USD $21.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Queen - Hot Space - 1982 EMI EMA 797 Vinyl USD $46.69 Buy It Now 7 days
3 cd set QUEEN HOT SPACE TOUR 82 L.A sept 1982 cardboard sleeve USD $89.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Hot Space by Queen (CD, Mar-1991, Hollywood) USD $16.95 Buy It Now 7 days
QUEEN HOT SPACE ESPACIO CALIENTE RARE PERU EDIT LP LABELS TRANSLATED TO SPANISH USD $39.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Queen "Hot Space" Vinyl Album 1982 Elektra / Asylum Records E1-60128 (AR) USD $39.95 Buy It Now 7 days
QUEEN HOT SPACE RARE LP ARGENTINA PROMO USD $45.00 Buy It Now 7 days
Queen Hot Space Vinyl E1-60128-B USD $20.00 Buy It Now 7 days
HOT SPACE BY QUEEN (CD) USD $22.74 Buy It Now 7 days
Queen - Hot Space CD Pop Rock USD $17.69 Buy It Now 7 days
Queen - Hot Space DELUXE 2 CD ALBUM NEW/MINT USD $15.55 Buy It Now 8 days
Queen Hot Space Original 1982 Cassette Elektra # E4-60128 Freddie Mercury EX! USD $6.25 Buy It Now 8 days
QUEEN HOT SPACE JAPAN USD $29.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Hot Space - Queen New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $18.12 Buy It Now 8 days
QUEEN Hot Space SOUTH AFRICA Deluxe Edition Double Disc Catalogue# DARCD 3120 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 8 days
QUEEN - HOT SPACE (BONUS) (CD) (DLX) NEW CD USD $21.53 Buy It Now 8 days
Queen - Hot Space - Vinyl LP 1982 - Ex USD $1.54 [0 bids]
QUEEN-HOT SPACE CD NEW USD $14.86 Buy It Now 8 days
Vinyl Record Queen-Hot Space USD $15.56 Buy It Now 9 days
Hot Space by Queen (Sep-2011, Hollywood) USD $11.62 Buy It Now 9 days
Hot Space (2 Cd Remastered Deluxe Edition) - Queen (2011, CD New) Deluxe ED. USD $17.80 Buy It Now 9 days
Queen-Hot Space CD / Remastered Album NEW USD $15.92 Buy It Now 9 days
Queen Hot Space Thai Cassette Seal OOP 3 USD SHIPPING REGISTERED WORLDWIDE USD $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Queen - Hot Space: Deluxe Edition [CD New] USD $15.72 Buy It Now 9 days
Queen - Hot Space (2 Cd Remastered Deluxe Edition) [CD New] USD $14.58 Buy It Now 9 days
Queen: Hot Space Cassette VG++ Canada Elektra XE4-60128 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 9 days
QUEEN =HOT SPACE= 1 PRESS JAPAN CP32-5382 (MINT) USD $55.00 [0 bids]
QUEEN-HOT SPACE (DLX) CD NEW USD $17.72 Buy It Now 9 days
Hot Space - Queen (Cassette 1981, Elektra) in NM USD $5.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Queen - Hot Space: Deluxe Edition CD USD $23.39 Buy It Now 9 days
QUEEN-HOT SPACE-RARE JAPAN RELEASE-TOSHIBA TOCP-67350-MINI LP- USD $39.00 Buy It Now 10 days
Queen - Hot Space - RARE Press Israeli Israel Made LP LISTEN With David Bowie USD $37.49 Buy It Now 10 days
QUEEN Hot Space - GALA Rec. - Russian Import CD - FREDDIE MERCURY USD $19.90 Buy It Now 10 days
Queen - Freddie Mercury - Hot Space Grey Mens T Shirt - New Official Merchandise USD $21.71 Buy It Now 10 days
Queen Hot Space Cassette Tape 1991 Hollywood Reissue Bonus Track Under Pressure USD $5.59 Buy It Now 10 days
Queen - Hot Space CD USD $20.39 Buy It Now 11 days
QUEEN Hot Space UK Poster size Press ADVERT 16 x 12" USD $18.60 Buy It Now 11 days

More places to buy QUEEN music online Buy QUEEN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for QUEEN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

QUEEN Hot Space ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(2%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(5%)

QUEEN Hot Space reviews

Review by hdfisch
1 stars When they released this album here obviously their heyday (which was with their first four albums) was already vanished in the haze of pop music and one has just to look at the year of release and then it should be clear where we are: right in disco era and that's it like it sounds at least on the first side which does not contain any song that can fascinate me. First we have "Staying Power", a rock song with a brass section typically used in disco pop music. Actually it could easily be a more rocking song by MICHAEL JACKSON, if there wouldn't be Mercury's unmistakable voice. It goes on with funky dance music in the next track "Dancer", as well in the very poppy "Back Chat". Still the guitar work by Brian May is rather good for the type of music and there are even a couple of fine moments, but very rarely. With "Body Language" we have a very typical 80's pop song, quite sexy, one can almost see Freddy dancing to it. Next one is an up-tempo pop rock song with some scarce admittedly quite good keyboard tunes towards the end. "Put Out The Fire" then is a bit more rocking one, but certainly not one of their best songs. "Life Is Real", an homage to JOHN LENNON is the first one that can really please me, moreover since he used to be all the time my favorite Beatle. A very nice ballad-esque song and completely different from the preceding ones. "Calling All Girls" is a quite tolerable pop song with some nice guitar but really nothing to jump to the rooftop about. Next one is a bit too cheesy love song and only May's good guitar work can make it worth to listen to at all. Then there are just the easily forgettable pop songs "Cool Cat" and "Under Pressure" with a guest appearance by DAVID BOWIE.

As an summary I just can say that this album is the weakest one I know by them without any highlights to mention, one song that I like and therefore 1 star for "Life Is Real (Song for Lennon)".

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#41074) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 31, 2005

Review by Dan Bobrowski
1 stars Ooooooh. What is that smell? Someone forget to wipe? Probably so.

This is the specific point when I dropped Queen from my "buy whatever they release," top shelf, gotta have.... band list. The toilet flushed on the first track. The package was sent. The septic tank was filled. Hints of the bands demise began around News of the World. NOTW was still good, but the bug had planted it's bite and the decay set in. Even though I kinda liked Under Pressure, the project was soooo laughable that I hid the album away, so noone would see it in my vinyl collection and label me a cad.

Hot Space is equivalent to the nuetering of the once mighty Queen. A sad, sad event in music history.

For me, it was Innuendo that brought me back to the fold. The albums between the Game and Innuendo were unworthy of my support.

Avoid this album at all costs.

Send comments to Dan Bobrowski (BETA) | Report this review (#53634) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 27, 2005

Review by clarke2001
2 stars It's bad, it's bad, it's bad but not too bad.

Why? Well, I'm a big QUEEN fan for ages and I've heard this album for the first time 15 years ago, and after all these years I realised that there are some good tracks here. This album is just one spot in the curve of band's career and creativity, and I like it because like to compare and analyse things and stuff, if nothing else. It's definitely worst Queen's album and it got nothing to do with progressive rock, but let's see the highlights if there's any: "Staying Power" is the opener, and it's terrible. Queen incorporated horns for the first time in their arrangements, but the final result is just weak. "Dancer" is an excellent tune! The problem is in fact that this is excellent d i s c o tune. Nice synth bass line, and probably best multilayered guitar ever heard on disco song. I got an impression that this song is sort of a predecessor for "Radio Ga Ga". Opening synth line and and electronic drums sound quite similar. It's 1000 times better than anything that, let's say, CHIC ever did. "Back Chat" is a disco not worth mentioning, but the weakest track on the weakest album is "Body Language". It's boring, dull, repetitive and without imagination. The other tracks are perhaps filled in with crap, if not anything else, but this one is just empty. Of course, it managed to reach the UK chart in 1982. "Action This Day" is quite nice pop rock tune. Nice arpeggiator work on Jupiter 8 synth. Another pop rock tune is "Put Out The Fire", but this one is not so nice.

The only track with a little bit of an interest for prog rock fans (if prog fans like THE BEATLES) is "Life Is Real (song for Lennon)". Nice piano ballad with excellent lyrics, Freddie imitating Lennon's style, done very well.

"Calling All Girls" is the track that perhaps I like the most here. Strangely enough, it reminds me of Bowie more than Bowie himself. "Las Palabras De Amor" is one of the rare Queen's attempts to make a tune with few verses here and there that are not in English. According to some native-Spanish speakers, that effort is laughable. A nice pop ballad, but nothing more. "Cool Cat" is one of the most horrible songs that I have ever heard. Not enough said? Well, a note to Ian Anderson: "Bouree" is not the "sleazy jazzy night club song", this is the one!

You know everything about "Under Pressure". You love it or you hate it. Personally, I love it because of the a) collaboration with Bowie, b) nice atmosphere, c) excellent dynamic range of the song, d) outstanding vocal performances from both singers and e) excellent lyrics. I just saw a video spot a few days ago, for the first time in my life. Scary.

Deep in my heart I feel I should rate the album with three or four stars,but that just wouldn't be fair to the thousands of good and very good progressive rock albums here. Therefore, two stars.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#97514) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Review by Gatot
1 stars The trend was at the time of this album released: the use of brass section into the music. It's not a bad idea at all. But for most people who enjoyed brass rock music were expecting this kind of music were recorded by bands like Chicago, Chase, Blood Sweat & Tears, or Tower of Power, etc. That's OK, Genesis also made similar move with "Paper Late", and in fact Phil Collins debut album featured horn section as well. I would say the decision to use brass for Queen was just a matter of following trend. For me personally I did not think that this was a good idea for Queen. The band started to become disco and pop and reduced their rock content. What a pity decision, I thought.

Look, hw boring the opening track "Staying Power" with repetitive music segments / chords. Even the following track "Dancer" does not seem to match the standard of Queen music (well .. what I mean with this is the standard of classic album like "Sheer Heart Attack" or "A Night At The Opera"). "Back Chat" represents a disco music which made the original fans of Queen left the band alone. "Love is Real" is another pop hit that was very famous in my country when this album was released. In fact, this song that made the album quite successful. Of course for those who had been with the early development of rock saw how Bowie collaborated with Queen in "Under Pressure" which also became one of successful hits in my country. Another good song I consider represents the old style of Queen is "Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)" : it has good melody and rhythm section that reminds me to the band's "A Day At The Races" album.

Again, I can only suggest this album for those die hard fan of Queen especially those who consider that this kind of album enrich the stream of music Queen offers to the music industry.

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#121022) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
1 stars Cold turkey!

We all have off days, but when Queen released "Hot Space" it seemed that in an instant everything which had set them apart had suddenly evaporated. This is quite simply one of the worst albums ever released by a major band. All the songs here are entirely dispensable with the exception of the collaboration with David Bowie on "Under pressure". This sole track is an essential part of the Queen catalogue.

Things get off to the worst possible start with "Staying power", a dreadful song which lacks even the semblance of a melody. Arif Mardin arranges the horn section on this funk based song, which makes Phil Collins later work with Genesis seem positively inspired.

"Dancer" is a song the Bee Gees might have written during their disco era. then quickly dropped! And so it goes on. Track after track consists of totally uninspired disco pop songs, devoid of even a shadow of the inspiration which adorned the band's early albums. The production is flat and lazy, and the sleeve is a disgrace. If it was not for the closing track, the aforementioned "Under pressure", this album would have no redeeming features whatsoever. That song however indicates that when they could be bothered, the inspiration was still there. Yes it is a melodic pop song, but it has a structure which belies its apparent simplicity, with beautifully constructed crescendos and fine vocal performances by Bowie and Mercury. This is an example of where compilation albums can serve a purpose, as they facilitate obtaining the song without the accompanying dross.

It really is difficult to find anything else positive to say about his album. The tribute to John Lennon ("Life is real") is lyrically poor, and the impersonation misguided. "Las Palabras de Amor" is a third rate facsimile of "Teo Torriatte" (from "A day at the races"), and the rest. well the less said the better.

"Hot space" did more to drive fans away from Queen than any other album. When it comes to own goals, this was a real shot in the foot.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#121574) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 10, 2007

Review by thellama73
COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
1 stars Queen is my all time favorite band, ever. Their 70's work is beyond compare and, unlike many here, I think 80's albums like The Works and The Game are truly great. Having said that, this album is horrible. It's an embarrassment to their entire career.

After having some success with dance music on The Game, the band decided to take it to the next level. I don't begrudge them that decision, for too many artists have met their demise due to their inability to adapt to the times. Let it never be said that Queen couldn't adapt. It might have even worked, except for one glaring flaw: the songs are abysmal and completely forgettable. I've listened to this album dozens of times, trying to force myself to like it, but sitting here right now I can't remember a single melody from it. Well okay, I remember Under Pressure, but even this "can't miss" collaboration with Bowie sounds like a jumbled mess of half finished ideas rather than the radio classic many hail it as.

You will not find a kinder audience for this album than me, because I love Queen, I love the 80's and I even like disco when it's done well. But trust me, you're better off without this one.

Send comments to thellama73 (BETA) | Report this review (#125239) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, June 09, 2007

Review by Queen By-Tor
1 stars We fans may find something to like, but for the most part, Queen has done much better.

UNDER PRESSURE aside, this album just doesn't cut it, not in the world of rock, not in the world of prog, maybe a bit in the world of pop. Listening to it few times may give you something to like about it, but this is Queen's worst moment. Where's May's guitar? The signature Taylor-voiced track? Mercury's great, over-the-top delivery? The one member who does get to shine on this album is John Deacon, and that's simply because the other members aren't really around to outshine him. With a few good moments, this album is mostly filler.

Perhaps the one saving grace for this album is the increadible collaboration UNDER PRESSURE, the rest just sounds like Queen flailing away in the 80s. Many fans may know BODY LANGUAGE as the meddled noise that it is... but did you knwo that even after several listens it still just sounds like noise? BACK CHAT and COOL CAT are alright, but alright at best, and each one quickly wears out, unlike most Queen songs. The other songs here are mostly forgettable, somethings Queen never does. With no excellent solos by any of the members here as well, this album was mostly bound to flounder.

While searching for the album that contained the most wonderful UNDER PRESSURE, I was often frustrated by no one had it in stock, but by now I know why. I hate to do this to such a fantastic band that has so much increadible material, but, like an awkward teenager, this album is lost somewhere trying to find itself. 1 star, maybe 1.5 for having UNDER PRESSURE. Previous and later albums are much more worth the money.

Send comments to Queen By-Tor (BETA) | Report this review (#137302) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 08, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
1 stars THE LAST LEG OF A GREAT TRILOGY ?

Remember that "Queen" already produced "The Game" and "Flash Gordon" some two and three years prior to this wonderful release.

Like most albums, it features some forty minutes of music distributed in eleven parts (but the later feature might vary). Let's not call them all songs will you?

You might appreciate this "album" if disco music is one of your favourite genre. You might even join with friends who share the same musical tastes and create a poll to define which is the best song of this crappy album.

I tried to organize such party, but my friends turned away my invitation. Or maybe they thought I was joking. But I guess that joking is the only way to bear this release.

Awful beats almost all the way through. In this ocean of mediocrity, "Put Out The Fire" sounds just above average. At last these awful funky/disco sounds are forgotten. At last some hard-rock! Just a quick and fresh breathe at half time of this pitiful work.

And let's not be overwhelmed by emotion while listening to the ballad "Life I Real". It might well be a tribute to the great John Lennon but it is too syrupy and mellowish to my taste. Same applies to the poor "Palabras". Help!

Bowie performed the backing vocals on "Cool Cat", but was not satisfied wih the result. Actually he did and record them but he asked to get rid of his part. A great idea David.

So, now Under Pressure. There is finally one excellent song on here. It went Nr. 1 in the UK. A country in which both Queen and Bowie are immensely popular. Vocals are extraordinary, no need to tell you about the bass line and the crescendo vocal parts which are truly exceptional. I have experience this song during a concert of whom you might know. The Mercury parts being taken over by the female bassist Gail Ann Dorsey. A great experience indeed.

I really wonder what went through the minds of the Austrian people in those days. Both "Flash Gordon" and "Hot space" went Nr. 1 in their country! It is the same for me : 1 star even if Under Pressure is a four star track.

Is it necessary to tell you that you shouldn't expect any prog in here. Maybe for their next album?

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#160098) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 28, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Their staying power was fading fast

Widely recognized as Queen's worst album, Hot Space was a real low point in their career. The first four songs of the album are pretty awful even, and will make even the most serious Queen fan (like myself) uncomfortable. Had the album continued like this to the end I would probably not have hesitated to give it the one star rating. The rest of the album does hold some good moments though, the best being Under Pressure. However, it does feel a bit like this last song was tagged on to the album at the end, since it bears no real connection to the rest.

Under pressure was recorded together with David Bowie and the voices of Freddie and Bowie go really good together. I like this song!

Action This Day, Put Out The Fire, Los Palabras De Amour and especially, Life Is Real (Song For Lennon) are all decent if pretty unremarkable songs - easily forgotten among Queen's many great songs. Thankfully, Queen would regain their senses and with each album after this one, they would make a better one, culminating with the excellent Innuendo.

Recommended only for fans and collectors

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#189933) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Review by progpositivity
1 stars Hot off the multi-million dollar disco success of "Another One Bites the Dust", Queen took an unthinkable plunge into Disco/Soul over-ride. It was an incredibly bold risk-taking move for a rock band of their stature, and one that went terribly awry.

In retrospect, this isn't an entirely disco album. Roger Taylor manages to sneak enough "space" to explore his burgeoning new wave atmospheric interests on "Calling All Girls" and "Action this Day". Brian May's "Put out the Fire" has a strong rocking vibe. "Life is Real" may be a tepid rock ballad, but it is far from disco. And ironically, the new wave/pop amalgam "Under Pressure" (featuring David Bowie on vocals) is the album's high mark both in terms of commercial success and artistic merit.

In the end Hot Space turned out to be a Hot Potato that just "didn't work". Their next album would "work" much better as they returned to more traditional Rock territory. It would take them a while, however, to regain the confidence of their 'anti-disco' rock fans.

This is not a bad pop/disco album. As an item of Prog interest, it is a zero.

Send comments to progpositivity (BETA) | Report this review (#280859) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 07, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars Well, this the very depth, how low can Queen (even with Freddie) get. For most of Queen fans, the main catch of their music are Freddie's voice & Brian's characteristic guitar. Both elements are suppressed here and songs are either 80s sounding, 80s Pop sounding, or Hard Rock ones, so there's not much to choose from. However, those like Las Palabras De Amor (The World of Love) or Life Is Real (Song For Lennon) are shining stars here in this heap of stinking songs.

2(+), it's valley of death with barren land, without rain. There even aren't big Rocks in this landscape, only these tiny little nuggets. It's not great album and only fans (and there is a lot of fans out there) should get this album. So when fans forms majority, it's not for "fans only", because this term is used mostly for narrow group of people, fans of group/artist. Nevermind, I even heard that a lot of Queen fans despise this release, so, that's it.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#296002) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
1 stars On this album, Queen completed their descent into insipid pop music, and left this turd in the litter box that was now their catalog.

The first half of this waste of plastic are completely vapid disco songs, the worst being Body Language, which ironically, makes poor use of the English language with idiotic lyrics like: Give me, body - give me - body - body - Give me your body Don't talk, Baby don't talk Body language Give me your body Just give me your body Give me your body

Can you believe that this is the same band that wrote such eloquent lyrics on their first four albums?

The second half of the album are more traditional, but no more listenable songs. The worst is the embarassing "tribute" to John Lennon, Life Is Real "Breast feeding myself"? Really, Freddie? Really?

The hit from this album was the song with David Bowie, Under Pressure, a song so bad it inspired Vanilla Ice. Need I say more?

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#364814) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 26, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars I'll give this one two stars for one reason and one reason alone - Under Pressure, the legendary collaboration with David Bowie which brings back some of Queen's formerly formidable art rock chops at the tail end of this forgettable album. The preceding tracks, however, are all one-star crud: Queen were attempting to make something funky and danceable, but the fact is that they were stunningly inept at it, the end results being Freddie singing over backing tracks which sound like botched impressions of the sort of stunning material Prince was making around this time. If you really want a progressively minded fusion of rock music, funk, soul and R&B, any classic Prince album will serve you much better than this pretender.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#569304) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011

2 stars 3/10 My God. I can not even digest it. But what is a remarkable change ... even for the worst. Queen has made considerable changes in their music, turning his pop-rock including rock and R & B, soul, disco-music and synth-pop. I can only say one thing: God help us. Yes, I join the great ... (read more)

Report this review (#727659) | Posted by voliveira | Saturday, April 14, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Hot Space ? 1981 (1.6/5) Real bad, almost 1 star 7 ? Best Song: Life is Real, but I can't stop laughing You want to hear a joke? What do you get when you cross Queen and the 1980's after they stopped making money? A cold, lifeless cash-in of the times! Hey, I'm on a roll. I wonder if we're ... (read more)

Report this review (#445881) | Posted by Alitare | Wednesday, May 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Even if you are a huge disco or pop fan there would be no need to buy this album as there is only one decent track here which is Under Pressure and you could just download that track and forget the rest of this album. Queen had some success riding the tide of the disco era with the Game attrac ... (read more)

Report this review (#410519) | Posted by By--Tor | Thursday, March 03, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars 'I mean it's only a bloody record! People get so excited about these things!' ... said Freddie on a lovely June evening in 1982 on a packed Bowl in Milton Keynes, some two weeks after the release of Hot Space. Yes, the Album-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, the wizardry Queen world's very own Voldemort; t ... (read more)

Report this review (#374327) | Posted by Lizzy | Thursday, January 06, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars To rescue the album is a flight emergency. there is only one title that is listenable on the album, it must be said, is "Body Language" which is not bad at all, the rest is just pop uninteresting, the most bad album of Queen's possible. Queen could not make this album just keep a song and work on ... (read more)

Report this review (#228512) | Posted by Discographia | Sunday, July 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

2 stars First of all, I must compliment album's cover. I like it. Nice colours. But i can't say the same about alb's content. It's got some excellent things for me like 'Under Pressure' or 'Put Out The Fire', but first song 'Staying Power' looks like work for Jackson, not for Freddie. 80's did their e ... (read more)

Report this review (#228508) | Posted by Colourful | Sunday, July 26, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars A bad case of body language INTRODUCTION Why reviewing this album? Well, I'd like to review all Queen albums and starting with this one has the advantage that after this one it only can get better. Queen always had a way of blending several musical styles, and in their earlier albums it worked ... (read more)

Report this review (#97145) | Posted by Draconean | Sunday, November 05, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I am a Queen fan have been since 1976 thats about 27 years now, im not saying that all of Queens music is great no most of it is fantastic. what most people are forgetting when reviewing hotspace is that this record was put togetherin thir quiet years that is the spell when they had there upt ... (read more)

Report this review (#92492) | Posted by dale | Thursday, September 28, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars SSSSSS......AGHHHHHHHRRRRR.....oh, no! Is this Queen? Are these the same guys who did genious pieces such as "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Prophet's song", "Death on two legs" and "The march of the black Queen" ? Yes, they are. Freddie Mercury used to be one of the best songwriters and piano players e ... (read more)

Report this review (#91092) | Posted by N-man | Friday, September 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars It is quite hard to write a review for Queen's Hot Space. At least not on a prog-rock site. First of all it's not a prog-rock album (prog-related as their 70s albums). And during early 80s, 70s rock heroes often fail to create exciting music. The examples are many, unfortunately; from the pr ... (read more)

Report this review (#88544) | Posted by Cristi | Wednesday, August 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Okay, even as one of those die-hard Queen fans, I will not try to fool anyone into believing this is a great album. If we take out the "Flash Gordon" soundtrack, which I certainly am, this is the worst album of the band's career. That's not to say it doesn't have its moments!! Some people ca ... (read more)

Report this review (#70561) | Posted by silversaw | Sunday, February 26, 2006 | Review Permanlink

1 stars It's not a prog album at all! Anyway there are not great songs, it's a pop album, too commercial for my tastes...Queen passed better periods, absolutely, and this one testifies their 'pop' corruption, their change of style. I prefer the old Queen: News of the world and A day at the races...So I can' ... (read more)

Report this review (#66990) | Posted by Kord | Friday, January 27, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I think this album is one of the best albums that I've heard by Queen, but I can't say I'm a big fan and there are a few albums in their catalogue thay I've never heard. I also think it's interesting to read all the reviews about it, since I can't understand the low rates. Take "Innuendo" for ... (read more)

Report this review (#65873) | Posted by 1971 | Saturday, January 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars OK., let's cool off for a while. It's their worst labum -I agree with that. But there are some good moments in it. Isn't 'Las Palabras de Amor' a great song? Aren't 'Put Out The Fire' and 'Life Is Real' more than OK? And, finally, whether you like it or not, 'Under Pressure' is their best 80s ... (read more)

Report this review (#65841) | Posted by | Saturday, January 21, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Queen is one of only a few bands, perhaps the only one, that throughout its career has played virtually all genres of modern music. I don't really know a person that doesn't like some of their stuff, some of them like the 70's stuff more, the other 80's thing, and some 90's. They're all differen ... (read more)

Report this review (#60538) | Posted by nuncjusz | Friday, December 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

1 stars This album is horrible. It's Queen's worst album and one of the worst albums I have ever heard. It is not only not prog, but it's more disco than rock. "Under Pressure" and "Palabras de Amor (The Words of Love)" are the only two decent songs on Hotspace and even these are sub par for Queen. O ... (read more)

Report this review (#50664) | Posted by | Friday, October 07, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars After the succes of previous albums, each having a music-style theme running through it, this time it's dance and disco music they desided to have a go at, I'm torn apart about this album, I like it very much, and it probably is the album that I listen to most, but it is miles away from what I ... (read more)

Report this review (#41218) | Posted by tuxon | Monday, August 01, 2005 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I really have problems when I hear the whole album...the music is so popish...The Works and The Game are really better than this one...Just to mention Calling All Girls, Cool Cat, Dancer and even Stayin Power are tracks that disappointed me when I finished hearing the album (even when I gave ... (read more)

Report this review (#40926) | Posted by Carlos | Saturday, July 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of QUEEN "Hot Space"