IL Y A DES JOURS

- Alain Caser / saxophone, flute, clarinet
- Antoine Gindt / guitars
- Daniel Koskowitz / drums
- Denis Tagu / keyboards, guitar

Recorded at "Centre Andre Malraux", Vandouevre.
GA 8632.AR, originally released 1985 on AYAA.

HELLEBORE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy HELLEBORE Il y a Des Jours Music

More places to buy HELLEBORE music online Buy HELLEBORE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for HELLEBORE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

HELLEBORE Il y a Des Jours ratings distribution

HELLEBORE Il y a Des Jours reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Sole album from this group who made a completely unlikely album released on the AYAA label (upon which Debile Menthol also released their albums), considering the unfavourable era they were in (the mid-80's) and Hellebore is best classified as Avant- prog and related to RIO or Zeuhl and chamber rock music and only 1000 copies were pressed. The album was graced with an artwork from the American collective Mnemonist (which had released a very apocalyptic Horde album, before transforming themselves into Biota), and the disturbing illustration fit the music rather well. A fairly acoustic quintet line-up (only some electric guitars) where three members (bassist Caël, guitarist Gindt and drummer Koskowitz) composed the music fairly evenly and separately, they recorded during the winter 83/84 the album and had a few more sessions from 82 to late 84, which are now added as bonus tracks on the Musea release.

Opening on particularly grotesque financial bourgeois questions with industrial noises in the background, Introduction Végétarienne soon veers towards a certain chamber prog between UZ and AZ, but apart from the intro, the music remains largely instrumental. Although not systematically, the next few tracks seem to evolve in the same realm with a bit of variation when heading towards a bit more to Miriodor's sense of burlesque music and comes close to free jazz improv on one number on the lengthier Umanak, but this remains thankfully short. When vocals are present, they range from vocalizing, to strange scats and at times a bit of Magma-esque choirs. In some ways Hellebore's album resembles a calmer Miriodor or Debile Menthol, but reminds me as well of Pataphonie's second album and at times early Univers Zero, although not nearly quiet as sombre.

As for the bonus track, they do sound like they were not recorded during the album's sessions, because the sound production is rather different. Les Lions (dating from mid- 82) sounds generally more aggressive with the guitar much more present (only wind player Casari is missing on this track) and a slightly more nihilistic and improvised. The next two tracks are the logical extrapolation of the album, the Oarystis tapes being supplied by the famous Chris Cutler.

While a very worthy album on its own, it is not really that essential considering the mass of records that shares the same musical traits in this Chamber Zeuhl RIO realm. But if you are a fan of this particular type of prog genre, Hellebore might just be indispensable for you. I'd recommend it to anyone into that universe, but maybe not as an introduction of a casual listener or someone just discovering the genre.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#117711) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 09, 2007

Review by chamberry
3 stars Hellebore is and odd little album. I'd say it's for people who would like a calmer Zeuhl or Avant- prog album. I find it too tamed to really shine, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I like hushed albums, but some songs seem quite bland at times. The songs on side A are great, though, but side B tends to drag. I don't seem to remember much of the second half after I finish listening to the album. The first three songs have such a great atmosphere that it makes Il y a Des Jours worth at least a try. Who knows, maybe you'll find Umanak a good song after all.

Send comments to chamberry (BETA) | Report this review (#921488) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 02, 2013

5 stars It's 1985. I have a mullet. I'm dreading my 'O' levels. I'm under the snakebite induced impression that I look like John Taylor. I am masturbating furiously over my Athena poster of that tennis girls' arse and TV's Cleo Rocos and my only goal in life is to own a 2.8i Ford Granada. ... (read more)

Report this review (#84757) | Posted by Yukorin | Tuesday, July 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of HELLEBORE "Il y a Des Jours"