THE CLOSING CHRONICLES

Nightingale

Nightingale The Closing Chronicles album cover

Buy NIGHTINGALE Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Deep Inside of Nowhere (7:12)
2. Revival (4:24)
3. Thoughts From a Stolen Soul (9:00)
4. So Long (Still I Wonder) (4:47)
5. Steal the Moon (3:17)
6. Intermezzo (4:22)
7. Alive Again (9:26)

Search NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles lyrics

Search NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles tabs

- Dan Swanö / guitars, vocals, keyboards, drums
- Tom Nouga / bass, guitars, keyboards

CD Black Mark #90 (1996)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

NIGHTINGALE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles Music

MAXINE NIGHTINGALE "The Girl In Me" / "Hideaway" Vinyl 45 Record VG+ PS 1979 US $3.10 [0 bids]
30m 57s
Reg Vardy Brass Band - Nightingale - Trombone / Waterman - Trumpet - Cool US $3.26 [2 bids]
47m 17s
Judy Canova - Ozark Nightingale (CD 2004) US $4.90 Buy It Now 1h
EARL NIGHTINGALE 20 minutes that can change your life LP Mint- Samples Spoken US $24.00 Buy It Now 2h 13m
The Buzzcocks Live Bites MISPRESS Punk Disco Uk Import Maxine Nightingale US $5.00 [0 bids]
Earl Nightingale The Strangest Secret 45 7" Record #7313 VG 33-1/3 RPM 1969 US $1.00 [0 bids]
CAROLE KING NIGHTINGALE 45 ODE 1975 DEMO US $0.82 [1 bids]
Soul Promo NM! 45 MAXINE NIGHTINGALE (I Think I Wanna) Possess You on United Art US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Jenny Mcleod - Emperor & The Nightingale Rock Concerto For Piano [CD New] US $8.81 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Nightingale - Sometimes When The Moon Is High [CD New] US $21.98 Buy It Now 4h 56m
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - AT HIS BEST, VOL. 2 * - NEW CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 6h 11m
ROSE MADDOX - I'd Rather Die Young / Nightingale Song - Columbia 78 RPM (1953) US $8.73 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Frankie Yabkov 45 record by Columbia 4-40352 Joliet Waltz Nightingale Polka US $8.00 [0 bids]
Ollie Nightingale Standing on your promise/It's a sad thing 7" vinyl Memphis US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
GLENN CLOSE Emperor And The Nightingale NEW SEALED 1987 Soundtrack LP MARK ISHAM US $7.99 [0 bids]
Edison Record 50991, 8463/8464. Hawaian Nightingale/Flower of Hawaii. Palakik US $0.99 [0 bids]
Alma Gluck Victrola 64566 - "Nightingale Song" US $6.00 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Pop 45 Bert Kaempfert And His Orchestra - Lonely Nightingale / Red Roses For A B US $3.00 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Lonely Nightingale By Bert Kaempfert And His Orchestra 45 Vinyl Record US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Glenn Close Mark Isham The Emperor And The Nightingale Story By Hans Andersen B US $2.99 Buy It Now 7h 31m
BERT KAEMPFERT RED ROSES FOR A BLUE LADY/LONELY NIGHTINGALE 45 RPM DECCA RECORDS US $4.98 Buy It Now 8h 6m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - TAKE YOUR HEART - 7" VINYL 1980 LIBERTY US $9.82 Buy It Now 8h 40m
ISABEL BAYRAKDARIAN - Troubadour and the Nightingale - CD 2013 - New US $16.99 Buy It Now 8h 42m
"7"-Coven-Nightingale/Jailhouse Rock 70's pop rock ~southern rock US $9.99 [0 bids]
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - I CAN'T SET YOU FREE - NM NORTHERN SOUL PROMO US $3.30 [0 bids]
STRAVINSKY, IGOR - STRAVINSKY: THE RITE OF SPRING: THE NIGHTINGALE - NEW CD US $7.85 Buy It Now 9h 45m
ROBERT LLOYD UK indie 7" 45 FUNERAL STOMP,x-Nightingale US $13.50 Buy It Now 9h 49m
cd-album, Stereo MCs - Emperor's Nightingale US $10.75 Buy It Now 10h 31m
SEALED GEORGE ADAMS: Nightingale LP BLUE NOTE RECORDS B191984 US 1989  US $22.49 Buy It Now 11h 17m
Alma Gluck NIGHTINGALE SONG (one sided record) 78 RPM US $3.99 [0 bids]
EARL NIGHTINGALE Strangest Secret 1969 Motivational 7" Record, Law of Attraction US $5.00 [0 bids]
BOLLYWOOD LEGEND LATA MANGESHKAR * NIGHTINGALE * SEALED US $6.49 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Nightingale - Japanese Art Songs - Yoshikazu Mera, Ogura US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 44m
Gilberto Gil - Nightingale LP - Elektra - 12" vinyl US $4.99 [0 bids]
Larry Conklin THE POET'S ORCHESTRA On CD Waterfall and Nightingale Catseye US $0.98 [0 bids]
13h
life, hope & healing nightingale conant 6 CD set Bernie Siegal MD NEW NIP US $38.98 [0 bids]
Gilberto Gil: Nightingale, Elektra 6E-167, 1979, White Label Promo US $1.99 [0 bids]
GEORGE ADAMS NIGHTINGALE 1988 JAPAN CD CJ32 US $29.99 Buy It Now 13h 38m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Right Back Where We Started From LP UA-LA626-G G-VG US $0.99 [0 bids]
Antique Columbia 78 record The Nightingale and the Frogs, Whistling Rufus 2 side US $5.00 [0 bids]
NEW SEALED CASSETTE TAPE OLLIE NIGHTINGALE MAKE IT SWEET US $3.99 Buy It Now 15h 19m
Nightingale Lullaby Michael Allen Harrison CD~Jazz Piano for Children~NBC Today US $11.95 Buy It Now 15h 27m
ANSERMET; STRAVINSKY" PULCINELLA" "SONG OF THE NIGHTINGALE;" LONDON STS STEREO US $10.00 [0 bids]
Miliza Korjus - Viking Nightingale (LP/Record) US $6.00 Buy It Now 16h 51m
Napoleon Hill - Think And Grow Rich Narrated By Earl Nightingale - With Booklet! US $15.00 [0 bids]
Jenny Mcleod - Emperor & The Nightingale Rock Concerto For Piano CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 19h 53m
I. Stravinsky - Petrushka (1911 Version) Song Of The Nightingale [CD New] US $8.22 Buy It Now 22h 42m
Bortz/Praulins/Bruun/Rasmussen - Nightingale [SACD New] US $12.81 Buy It Now 22h 44m
Maxine Nightingale: Right Back Where We Started From 7" 45 NM USA United Artists US $4.99 Buy It Now 23h 18m
ERLAND & THE CARNIVA - NIGHTINGALE [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.32 Buy It Now 1 day
[LP] Maxine Nightingale,It's A Beautiful Thing (Highrise) USA US $11.51 Buy It Now 1 day
CATERINA VALENTE: THE HI-FI NIGHTINGALE; 1955 DECCA 8203 VG++ LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
Lot 9 8 Track Tapes All Promo Never Played Instant Funk Exile Maxine Nightingale US $3.99 [1 bids]
JOSEPH BODIN DE BOIS - THE NIGHTINGALE IN LOVE - NEW CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
A LIQUID LANDSCAPE:NIGHTINGALE EXPRESS US $11.46 Buy It Now 1 day
ERNA SACK (Soprano) "The German Nightingale" 1951 Aus 12" 78rpm TELEFUNKEN VG US $13.39 Buy It Now 1 day
ELLY AMELING: THE DUTCH NIGHTINGALE - NEW CD US $35.02 Buy It Now 1 day
Nightingale [Original London Cast] by Original Cast (CD, Aug-1999, Jay Records) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Lyrian - Nightingale Hall [CD New] US $13.98 Buy It Now 1 day
78RPM Brunswick 2349 Charles Hart & E Shaw, Hawaiian Nightingale/White Way Qu wV US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Stravinsky: The Firebird/Song Of The Nightingale (CD, Apr-1987, Delos) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Conway's Band: Angel's Dream / Nightingale Waltz. Victor 78 - 35500. VG+ US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale 70s SOUL 45 (Windsong 11729 PROMO) The Girl in Me VG++ US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale SOUL 45 (United Artists 820 PROMO) Gotta Be The One VG++/M- US $4.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE bittersweet LP 8 track (afl13528) us rca 1980 US $8.18 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE bittersweet LP 8 track (lbg30323) uk liberty 1980 US $8.18 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE it's a beautiful thing LP 8 track but has small sticker and p US $8.18 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE night life LP 10 track but has small deletion drill hole (ual US $8.18 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE night life LP 10 track but sleeve has edgewear and ringwear ( US $8.18 Buy It Now 1 day
Reissue 45 MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Will You Be My Lover on Silver Spotlight Series US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Piccolo Duet JEAN & PIERRE GENNIN Language of the Nightingale 78 COLUMBIA DB178 US $21.29 Buy It Now 1 day
THE BBC WIRELESS CHORUS Nightingale of France 78 COLUMBIA DB1202 US $21.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Savage Nightingale, Darynn Zimmer US $3.81 Buy It Now 1 day
Soul 45 Maxine Nightingale Give A Little Love (To Me) On Highrise US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
CATERINA VALENTE: The Hi-fi Nightingale LP (Mono, black label, sm stain/# obc) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Uri Geller & Maxine Nightingale - 1st S/T RARE OOP Original UK CD (Brand New!) US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Florence Nightingale RARE Records Collector's Item 1890 33 1/3 RPM US $5.00 [0 bids]
Ollie Nightingale - How far am I from New York City / May the best man win M- US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale: One last ride / Gotta be the one 7" 45rpm vinyl record 5b US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Rogue Wave - Nightingale Floors NEW CD US $18.14 Buy It Now 1 day
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE: Here I Am Again (soul vinyl 45) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Nightingale ALMA GLUCK 1 Sided 10" Antique Victor 78rpm Record Album Very Good US $3.50 [0 bids]
45 RECORD GOGI GRANT BONJOUR TRISTESSE , CHINESE NIGHTINGALE 47-7146 US $7.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Stravinsky: The Firebird/Song Of The Nightingale (CD, 1987, Delos) NEW sealed US $1.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Lot of 4 Rare Italian 78rpm records all on Nightingale Records Antonio Conte ++| US $40.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale "Gotta Be The One" DISCO Oz 7" US $5.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale "Love Hit Me" Terrific Oz 7" US $5.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Stravinsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade / Song of the Nightingale Audio CD US $9.47 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE**LEAD ME ON**CD US $7.63 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale Love Me Like You Mean It 45 rpm Lead Me On US $9.50 [0 bids]
STRAVINSKY NM Ansermet Pulcinella Suite Song Nightingale CM-9163 London US $49.95 Buy It Now 1 day
STRAVINSKY NM- Ansermet Pulcinella Suite Song Nightingale CM-9163 London US $49.95 Buy It Now 1 day
[LP] Maxine Nightingale,Bittersweet (RCA) {EX+} USA US $24.47 Buy It Now 1 day
KRISTUIT SALU/MORRIS NIGHTINGALE My Mines I CD NEW US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Everly Brothers single - Asleep / On The Wings Of A Nightingale US $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
[LP] Maxine Nightingale,Right Back Where We (United Artists) USA US $28.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Diana Magazine No. 423 27 March 1971 Jeff Collins Anne Nightingale US $49.17 Buy It Now 1 day
BORTZ / PRAULINS / LAYTON - NIGHTINGALE NEW SACD US $22.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Dorothy Moore Blues & Soul Issue 194 1976 Maxine Nightingale Manhattans Mandrill US $20.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Earl Nightingale Declaration 11776R R VG C VG (LP-12492) US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy NIGHTINGALE music online Buy NIGHTINGALE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NIGHTINGALE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles ratings distribution

NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars The second album from Nightingale called The Closing Chronicles are a bit different when you compare it to Nightingale´s debut album The Breathing Shadow. Gone are the goth rock influences from the debut and what we have left is an excellent neo prog/ symphonic prog album. Forget that this album is in the progressive metal catagory here on Prog Archives because there are only slight metal tendencies on The Closing Chronicles. I think The Breathing Shadow was a really good album and gave it a small 4 star rating, but with The Closing Chronicles Nightingale has made an even better album.

The music is inspired by neo prog legends like Marillion, IQ and Pallas, but it´s a bit darker in sound and mood which is probably due to Dan Swanö´s Death metal background. There are beautiful vocal melodies and instrumentation throughout the album and songs like Deep Inside of Nowhere, Revival, the very progressive Thoughts From a Stolen Soul and the closing epic Alive Again are all beautiful examples of Nightingale´s magic. Steal the Moon is a bit of a rocker and great for the diversity of the album. So Long ( Still I Wonder) and Intermezzo are ballad type songs but of the type that never gets cheesy. Note the beautiful keyboard and guitar riffs throughout the album. Especially people into darker neo prog should be able to find pleasure here.

Dan Swanö still plays just about everything on the album, but gets help from his brother Tom Nouga on additional guitar, keyboards and bass. I´m not sure but I think it is Tom who plays the melodic solos on the album. One of the objections people had about the debut was the programmed drums and here on The Closing Chronicles Dan Swanö has chosen to play the drums himself. Dan isn´t the best drummer in the whole world but he does a nice job here.

The production is a bit better than on the debut but it´s still low budget. Some might be turned off by this but judge yourself.

I´ve had this album for many years and still enjoy it every time I listen to it. I consider this to be the best Nightingale album and one of the best albums ever to feature Dan Swanö. 4 stars is a matter of course for this excellent album. Highly recommendable.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#165055) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2008

3 stars On NIGHTINGALE's second album Dan Swano gets some help from Tom Nouga who plays bass and adds some guitar and keyboards. He also wrote one track and helped out on a couple of others. Oh, and he also produced this recording. Dan Swano did it all on the debut. I'm in the minority I know, but I prefer the more Gothic sounding debut. The guitar is more out front on that one too, and there is an eighties flavour to it that appeals to me. Less keys too. Anyway I agree with UMUR that it's a small four stars, so I give this one 3.5 stars.

"Deep Inside Of Nowhere" opens with keys as vocals join in. It sounds like flute 1 1/2 minutes in in this melancholic intro. It's more powerful 2 minutes in. Then it changes with spoken vocals followed by full sound with vocals, drums and guitar. Tasteful guitar 5 minutes in. "Revival" opens with some nice heavy guitar then it settles with vocals quickly. Contrasts continue. Good song. "Thoughts From A Stolen Soul" opens with some atmosphere as almost spoken vocals join in. The guitar starts to lead 1 1/2 minutes in. It picks up a minute later. The tempo continues to change. Organ before 7 minutes as the guitar follows. Nice. Vocals are back 8 minutes in.

"So Long (Still I Wonder)" features synths, bass and reserved vocals early. Guitar follows tastefully. Drums after 2 1/2 minutes when the vocals stop. The guitar solos as well here. It's fuller with vocals a minute later. "Steal The Moon" opens with bass and kicks in quickly. Guitar solo 2 minutes in followed by organ. "Intermezzo" is kind of dark with keyboards and almost spoken vocals. "Alive Again" opens with keyboards and synths as vocals join in right away. Drums too.The focus is on the vocals though as usual. It sounds better after 3 1/2 minutes. In fact the best part of the album by far is from this point to the end of this song.That's six minutes worth. Deep bass to start and I like the guitar too.

A good album with perhaps better compositions than the debut, but to my ears it doesn't sound as good as their first record.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#262236) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 23, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Nightingale's second album shows a considerable growth since the debut. Dan Swanö got assisted by his brother Tom Nouga and all songs now feature live drums from Swanö. These changes led to an album that is less gothic in style and has a greater attention to arrangement, musicality and composition.

The opening track for instance has a decidedly proggy start, with a dramatic piano theme, flutes and strong vocal melodies. On the epic highlights Thoughts From A Stolen Soul and Alive Again, Nightingale really succeed in adding a darker shade to neo-prog. It gives them an original profile in this industrious scene. My favourite of the album would be the gloomy beauty of Intermezzo, featuring nothing but a few solemn keyboard chords and Swanö's vocals that are simultaneously warm, calm, melodious and touching. A rare combination. Neo-prog usually lacks vocalists with pose and punch for me. But with an excellent vocalist as Dan Swanö it can indeed turn out tasty and soulful.

All these elements make this into a decidedly more professional and progressive album then the debut. But is it also better?

Opinions are divided. The current verdict of the legions of Nightingale fans on PA balance each other out: one vote in favour of the debut and one in favour of The Closing Chronicles. For me it's always been the debut. Clumsy as it sometimes sounds, its dark energy has an irresistible charm, one that I only find back here on the two 9 minute songs and on Intermezzo.

In just a year Nightingale evolved from a goth project with proggy undertones into a melodious neo-prog band with only Swanö's warm gloomy baritone as a remaining goth feature. The result is different but still unique and solid. A recommended listen. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#266626) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars At first I thought that there's something bad with my hearing. And even more with my genre distinction, because I simply hear Neo Prog in this music. OK, they stopped being goth and combinet Neo with Prog Metal and I say: Why not, if it's possible (album is out for many years, it works), then it's alright. And this fact again shows how thin can be line between certain genres.

Tracks are melodic, after all, this album I know because of recommendation I was given in proper thread on forums (and I'm so keen on suggestions that I go first check my collection if I already has this album or not - I'm still not so good to remember them all). Two man band (I suppose they don't go touring.

Except borderline cases of PM / Neo (more on Neo side), there is something like Rock song (however with keyboards flavour) Steal the Moon which is short, but serves its purpose. However Intermezzo is disappointment. Purely narrative tracks without anything musical to offer. If it's intro, it's 1)quite long one 2)not so good one. And Alive Again is better again.

4(-), let's just overlook it's classified as Prog Metal, OK ? For Prog's sake.

EDIT July 2010 - not that bad, added + 0.5.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#283823) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 28, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars Nightingale seems to have been conceived as a side-project for Dan Swano to get out all the musical ideas he wants to play with which don't fit his main projects; the first Nightigale album, The Breathing Shadow, is reportedly a mildly proggy goth rock album, whereas this time around the goth influence is restricted more or less solely to Swano's vocal delivery. Musically speaking, the rest of The Closing Chronicles is a sort of light prog metal which goes easy on the progginess - there's just enough mainstream prog metal motifs to convince me that the album hasn't been misfiled, but not enough to really satisfy fans who like their prog metal to be really, really proggy - there isn't any technical pyrotechnics to the extent that you'd get even on a Dream Theater album from around this period. For my part, though I'm not into progginess for its own sake, the album seems to be rather half-baked to me - as though it's a collection of ideas which weren't just not stylistically appropriate for Edge of Sanity, but also just plain weren't good enough.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#772927) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2012

Post a review of NIGHTINGALE "The Closing Chronicles"