THE CLOSING CHRONICLES

Nightingale

Nightingale The Closing Chronicles album cover

Buy NIGHTINGALE Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Deep Inside of Nowhere (7:12)
2. Revival (4:24)
3. Thoughts From a Stolen Soul (9:00)
4. So Long (Still I Wonder) (4:47)
5. Steal the Moon (3:17)
6. Intermezzo (4:22)
7. Alive Again (9:26)

Search NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles lyrics

Search NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles tabs

- Dan Swanö / guitars, vocals, keyboards, drums
- Tom Nouga / bass, guitars, keyboards

CD Black Mark #90 (1996)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

NIGHTINGALE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles Music

The Coming DawnThe Coming Dawn
CD Baby 2005
Light DanceLight Dance
Jay Records 1999
Audio CD$0.42 (used)
EVERLY BROTHERS On The Wings Of A Nightingale/Asleep 45 RPM Mercury Records US $7.00 Buy It Now 31m 26s
STRAVINSKY: Song of the Nightingale LP Reiner CHESKY RECORDS RC10 STEREO US $69.99 Buy It Now 40m 29s
NIGHTINGALE-I CD NEW US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED FROM UNITED ARTISTS VG++ US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
MARK NIGHTINGALE / QUINTET - OUT OF THE BOX (UK) NEW CD US $30.97 Buy It Now 1h 28m
RUSS MORGAN & His Orchestra Nightingale 78 Brunswick 01407 US $22.26 Buy It Now 1h 45m
CD: Nightingale - The Coming Dawn (folk celtic) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h
(CI385) Fionn Regan, For A Nightingale - 2011 DJ CD US $4.20 Buy It Now 2h 16m
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO - NEW CD US $11.37 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Northern Soul 45 Little Johnny Taylor - You Win, I Lose / Nightingale Melody On US $4.99 [0 bids]
Ambrose, A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square/If I Should Fall In Love Again US $4.00 [0 bids]
ORIGINAL LONDON CAST - NIGHTINGALE [ORIGINAL LONDON CAST] - NEW CD US $17.84 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Nightingale - Coming Dawn [CD New] US $20.98 Buy It Now 3h 51m
Maxine Nightingale 45 Lead Me On/Love Me Like You Mean It Windsong Label US $0.34 [3 bids]
1985 UK MONO Vinyl Charly CRB1058 Johnny Adams Tan Nightingale Soul Pop Blues US $12.00 Buy It Now 4h 15m
+ NIGHTINGALE [ORIGINAL LONDON CAST] - Brightman CD excellent condition US $8.60 Buy It Now 4h 21m
BERT KAEMPFERT LONELY NIGHTINGALE RED ROSES FOR A BLUE LADY DECCA US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Lucineh Zakaryan "The Nightingale Of Armenia" Tekeyan # TCA 100 US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE: Turn To Me (soul vinyl 45) US $8.00 Buy It Now 5h 16m
CONNIE HAINES - NIGHTINGALE FROM SAVANNAH - NEW CD US $14.00 Buy It Now 5h 27m
HP LIST TAS AUDIOPHILE RCA LSC 2150 Prokofiev Kije Stravinsky Nightingale 1960s US $15.00 [0 bids]
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE LEAD ME ON/LOVE ME LIKE YOU MEAN IT 1979 45 RP WINDSONG 11530 US $2.98 Buy It Now 6h
The Irish Nightingale by Morton Downey (CD, Jan-1996, ASV) US $14.00 [0 bids]
The Irish Nightingale by Morton Downey (CD, Jan-1996, ASV) US $15.00 [0 bids]
SARAH SWERSEY ~ Nightingale [DigiPak] CD RARE NM!! US $48.89 Buy It Now 7h 10m
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE: Sweet Surrender LP (RARE SOUL) (WLP, shrink) US $100.00 [0 bids]
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE LOVE HIT ME VINYL LP AUSTRALIA RARE US $8.45 Buy It Now 7h 49m
LYRIAN - NIGHTINGALE HALL NEW CD US $20.95 Buy It Now 8h 28m
Nightingale Ollie - Ollie Style CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 12h
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE: Bringing Out The Girl In Me (soul vinyl 12) US $20.00 Buy It Now 13h 5m
NIGHTINGALE - THE COMING DAWN NEW CD US $30.60 Buy It Now 14h 9m
Mephisto Walz - Nightingale, Christian Death, Vinyl, 7", Limited Edition, White US $10.00 [0 bids]
TED JONES moron 7" one sided white label test pressing (lyn15723) uk nightingale US $8.55 Buy It Now 14h 39m
SARAH BRIGHTMAN cd NIGHTINGALE musical CHARLES STROUSE original LONDON cast US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 22m
MOTOOMI DOI - ILLUMINATED NIGHTINGALE NEW CD US $34.05 Buy It Now 16h 30m
45RPM Maxine NIghtingale Lead Me On/Love Me Like Y 1217 EL US $15.99 Buy It Now 21h
Nightingale,Mark/Quintet - Out Of The Box [CD New] US $22.02 Buy It Now 21h 7m
1974 FOLK Carole King Wrap Around Joy Vintage POP Nightingale Vinyl LP US $1.99 [0 bids]
Bogna Sokorska - Sopran - The Warsaw Nightingale US $9.00 Buy It Now 21h 45m
EVERLY BROTHERS "ON THE WINGS OF A NIGHTINGALE / ASLEEP" 45 NEAR MINT US $3.75 Buy It Now 22h 33m
ERLAND & THE CARNIVA - NIGHTINGALE [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.32 Buy It Now 22h 45m
1 CENT CD VA Soulful Pop - blue mink, foundations, maxine nightingale, groove US $0.01 [1 bids]
1 CENT CD What I Wanted to Say - Mark Nightingale US $0.01 [0 bids]
PAUL MAURIAT - LOVE IN EVERY ROOM - ENGLISH NIGHTINGALE - PHILIP 7" 45 RPM VINYL US $5.99 [0 bids]
Judy Collins Elektra 45 Record #45709 VG Amazing Grace / Nightingale I US $3.00 Buy It Now 23h 57m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE will you be my lover /how much love 7" 45 Portugal PS Soul NM US $19.99 [0 bids]
Emperor & The Nightingale, Isham, Mark, Close, Glenn, Good Original recording re US $7.35 Buy It Now 1 day
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring: The Nightingale, New Music US $8.01 Buy It Now 1 day
Connection by Nightingale (CD, May-1997, Higher Octave) US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JIMMY SOMERVILLE-Dare To Love-VOCALS-Glenn Nightingale-GARY BUTCHER-Guitar-DANCE US $7.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Marion Harris - BRUNSWICK 2539 - Nashville Nightingale & Before You Go US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Secret Stars Nightingale / Rpms 7" 45 Atlas 1996 Vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Erna Sack : German Nightingale CD (2003) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE EVERLY BROTHERS, On The Wings Of A Nightingale-Asleep, 45 1984 VG+, VG+ US $5.99 [0 bids]
Paul Mauriat, The English Nightingale ~ Philips 45 +sleeve US $2.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Living Stereo Prokofiev Lt. Kije Stravinsky Nightingale Classic 45 RPM LSC-2150 US $289.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Handel: 4 Organ Concertos (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale), , Good US $8.19 Buy It Now 1 day
Prokofieff / Lieutenant Kije Song of the Nightingale US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE ~ Love Hit Me ~ 7" Single US $2.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Music Press Promo Advert Poster....'Maxine Nightingale...Night Life' US $10.27 Buy It Now 1 day
Music Press Promo Advert Poster....'Maxine Nightingale...Love Lines' US $10.27 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE LOVE HIT ME 7" single US $5.12 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL ALLEN HARRISON - NIGHTINGALE LULLABY NEW CD US $19.82 Buy It Now 1 day
Stereo Mcs - Emperor'S Nightingale - K7289CD US $13.03 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Night Life LP EX- USA 1977 in Shrinkwrap w/ Inner Sleeve US $13.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Ollie Nightingale "Standing on your Promise/It's a Sad Thing" (Single) US $3.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Stravinsky: The Firebird/Song Of The Nightingale (CD, 1987, Delos) NEW sealed US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Miliza Korjus- Viking Nightingale, Venus LP Record US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
SIOBHAN LAMB/GERARD - NIGHTINGALE AND THE ROSE - NEW CD US $13.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Erna Sack, European Nightingale, Capitol 10"- 33 US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Bill Joy 45 "Down In Caroline / Nightingale Song" US $6.99 [0 bids]
DJ Mind X - Nightingale / Go Ahead London - 1998 #29448 US $17.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Rose & Nightingale SPIRIT OF THE GARDEN [digipak] CD mint US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - LEAD ME ON NEW CD US $15.56 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE, One Last Ride-Gotta Be The One 45 UA-XW820-Y VG+ VG+ 1976 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Stravinsky: The Firebird and Song Of The Nightingale Stravinsky, Schwarz, Seatt US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Everly Brothers - Asleep / On the Wings of a Nightingale - 45 rpm 7' single US $9.99 [0 bids]
Earl Nightingale NC 45 Record #7313 VG HS The Strangest Secret US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LEE GIBSON- Songs of Time and Place CD (2002 Spotlite Jazz) Mark Nightingale US $8.89 Buy It Now 1 day
Nightingale/Pumpin Remixes - Additive - 1999 #37634 US $5.12 Buy It Now 2 days
Napoleon Hill - Think And Grow Rich (Narrated By Earl Nightingale) US $19.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MEMPHIS SOUL 45: OLLIE NIGHTINGALE on PRIDE May the Best Man Win US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Give A Little Love To me / Turn To me 7 inch 45 JIMMY RUFFIN US $1.16 [0 bids]
Bandole [Real Music/Nightingale] by Shastro (CD, Jan-1994, Real Music Records) US $2.49 [0 bids]
Bert Kaempfert Orchestra 'Lonely Nightingale' Red Roses for a Blue Lady 45rpm US $0.25 [0 bids]
(AZ291) Lizzie Nightingale, Left Right Left - DJ CD US $5.12 Buy It Now 2 days
Maxine Nightingale - Will You be My Lover - 45 - Promo - NM US $5.00 [0 bids]
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE NIGHT LIFE 1977 UA UA-LA731-G USA ALL EX 33 RPM US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Edge of Sanity,Cd, Infernal, German Import, Opeth, Nightingale, 1997 Black Mark US $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Bellini: Beatrice di Tenda (CD, 2 Discs, Nightingale Classics) US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Victor Record Song Of The Nightingale 20426-A / Autumn 20426-B US $7.00 [0 bids]
ROBERT STALLMAN ~THE NIGHTINGALE IN LOVE~ Classical CD New US $9.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Edison Record 50991, 8463/8464. Hawaian Nightingale/Flower of Hawaii. Palakik US $8.07 [0 bids]
NIGHTINGALE-The Breathing Shadow-EDGE OF SANITY-*0s Style-HEAVY METAL/Rock/Vocal US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EARL NIGHTINGALE Strangest Secret 1969 Motivational 7" Record, Law of Attraction US $5.00 [0 bids]
RICHARD HARVEY Shroud for a nightingale theme 7" TV soundtrack US $5.98 Buy It Now 2 days
Maxine Nightingale "All Night With Me" RCA 7" 45 PROMO VG+++ US $0.99 [0 bids]
MEMPHIS-MISSISSIPPI DELTA GOSPEL DJ 45: LULA COLLINS & NIGHTINGALE STARS on LUNA US $39.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NM 12"~MAXINE NIGHTINGALE~(Bringing Out)The Girl In Me~[5:08]~Hideaway~[7:37]~ US $2.49 [0 bids]
I. Stravinsky - Rite Of Spring/Nightingale CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy NIGHTINGALE music online Buy NIGHTINGALE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NIGHTINGALE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles ratings distribution

NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars The second album from Nightingale called The Closing Chronicles are a bit different when you compare it to Nightingale´s debut album The Breathing Shadow. Gone are the goth rock influences from the debut and what we have left is an excellent neo prog/ symphonic prog album. Forget that this album is in the progressive metal catagory here on Prog Archives because there are only slight metal tendencies on The Closing Chronicles. I think The Breathing Shadow was a really good album and gave it a small 4 star rating, but with The Closing Chronicles Nightingale has made an even better album.

The music is inspired by neo prog legends like Marillion, IQ and Pallas, but it´s a bit darker in sound and mood which is probably due to Dan Swanö´s Death metal background. There are beautiful vocal melodies and instrumentation throughout the album and songs like Deep Inside of Nowhere, Revival, the very progressive Thoughts From a Stolen Soul and the closing epic Alive Again are all beautiful examples of Nightingale´s magic. Steal the Moon is a bit of a rocker and great for the diversity of the album. So Long ( Still I Wonder) and Intermezzo are ballad type songs but of the type that never gets cheesy. Note the beautiful keyboard and guitar riffs throughout the album. Especially people into darker neo prog should be able to find pleasure here.

Dan Swanö still plays just about everything on the album, but gets help from his brother Tom Nouga on additional guitar, keyboards and bass. I´m not sure but I think it is Tom who plays the melodic solos on the album. One of the objections people had about the debut was the programmed drums and here on The Closing Chronicles Dan Swanö has chosen to play the drums himself. Dan isn´t the best drummer in the whole world but he does a nice job here.

The production is a bit better than on the debut but it´s still low budget. Some might be turned off by this but judge yourself.

I´ve had this album for many years and still enjoy it every time I listen to it. I consider this to be the best Nightingale album and one of the best albums ever to feature Dan Swanö. 4 stars is a matter of course for this excellent album. Highly recommendable.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#165055) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2008

3 stars On NIGHTINGALE's second album Dan Swano gets some help from Tom Nouga who plays bass and adds some guitar and keyboards. He also wrote one track and helped out on a couple of others. Oh, and he also produced this recording. Dan Swano did it all on the debut. I'm in the minority I know, but I prefer the more Gothic sounding debut. The guitar is more out front on that one too, and there is an eighties flavour to it that appeals to me. Less keys too. Anyway I agree with UMUR that it's a small four stars, so I give this one 3.5 stars.

"Deep Inside Of Nowhere" opens with keys as vocals join in. It sounds like flute 1 1/2 minutes in in this melancholic intro. It's more powerful 2 minutes in. Then it changes with spoken vocals followed by full sound with vocals, drums and guitar. Tasteful guitar 5 minutes in. "Revival" opens with some nice heavy guitar then it settles with vocals quickly. Contrasts continue. Good song. "Thoughts From A Stolen Soul" opens with some atmosphere as almost spoken vocals join in. The guitar starts to lead 1 1/2 minutes in. It picks up a minute later. The tempo continues to change. Organ before 7 minutes as the guitar follows. Nice. Vocals are back 8 minutes in.

"So Long (Still I Wonder)" features synths, bass and reserved vocals early. Guitar follows tastefully. Drums after 2 1/2 minutes when the vocals stop. The guitar solos as well here. It's fuller with vocals a minute later. "Steal The Moon" opens with bass and kicks in quickly. Guitar solo 2 minutes in followed by organ. "Intermezzo" is kind of dark with keyboards and almost spoken vocals. "Alive Again" opens with keyboards and synths as vocals join in right away. Drums too.The focus is on the vocals though as usual. It sounds better after 3 1/2 minutes. In fact the best part of the album by far is from this point to the end of this song.That's six minutes worth. Deep bass to start and I like the guitar too.

A good album with perhaps better compositions than the debut, but to my ears it doesn't sound as good as their first record.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#262236) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 23, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Nightingale's second album shows a considerable growth since the debut. Dan Swanö got assisted by his brother Tom Nouga and all songs now feature live drums from Swanö. These changes led to an album that is less gothic in style and has a greater attention to arrangement, musicality and composition.

The opening track for instance has a decidedly proggy start, with a dramatic piano theme, flutes and strong vocal melodies. On the epic highlights Thoughts From A Stolen Soul and Alive Again, Nightingale really succeed in adding a darker shade to neo-prog. It gives them an original profile in this industrious scene. My favourite of the album would be the gloomy beauty of Intermezzo, featuring nothing but a few solemn keyboard chords and Swanö's vocals that are simultaneously warm, calm, melodious and touching. A rare combination. Neo-prog usually lacks vocalists with pose and punch for me. But with an excellent vocalist as Dan Swanö it can indeed turn out tasty and soulful.

All these elements make this into a decidedly more professional and progressive album then the debut. But is it also better?

Opinions are divided. The current verdict of the legions of Nightingale fans on PA balance each other out: one vote in favour of the debut and one in favour of The Closing Chronicles. For me it's always been the debut. Clumsy as it sometimes sounds, its dark energy has an irresistible charm, one that I only find back here on the two 9 minute songs and on Intermezzo.

In just a year Nightingale evolved from a goth project with proggy undertones into a melodious neo-prog band with only Swanö's warm gloomy baritone as a remaining goth feature. The result is different but still unique and solid. A recommended listen. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#266626) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars At first I thought that there's something bad with my hearing. And even more with my genre distinction, because I simply hear Neo Prog in this music. OK, they stopped being goth and combinet Neo with Prog Metal and I say: Why not, if it's possible (album is out for many years, it works), then it's alright. And this fact again shows how thin can be line between certain genres.

Tracks are melodic, after all, this album I know because of recommendation I was given in proper thread on forums (and I'm so keen on suggestions that I go first check my collection if I already has this album or not - I'm still not so good to remember them all). Two man band (I suppose they don't go touring.

Except borderline cases of PM / Neo (more on Neo side), there is something like Rock song (however with keyboards flavour) Steal the Moon which is short, but serves its purpose. However Intermezzo is disappointment. Purely narrative tracks without anything musical to offer. If it's intro, it's 1)quite long one 2)not so good one. And Alive Again is better again.

4(-), let's just overlook it's classified as Prog Metal, OK ? For Prog's sake.

EDIT July 2010 - not that bad, added + 0.5.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#283823) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 28, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars Nightingale seems to have been conceived as a side-project for Dan Swano to get out all the musical ideas he wants to play with which don't fit his main projects; the first Nightigale album, The Breathing Shadow, is reportedly a mildly proggy goth rock album, whereas this time around the goth influence is restricted more or less solely to Swano's vocal delivery. Musically speaking, the rest of The Closing Chronicles is a sort of light prog metal which goes easy on the progginess - there's just enough mainstream prog metal motifs to convince me that the album hasn't been misfiled, but not enough to really satisfy fans who like their prog metal to be really, really proggy - there isn't any technical pyrotechnics to the extent that you'd get even on a Dream Theater album from around this period. For my part, though I'm not into progginess for its own sake, the album seems to be rather half-baked to me - as though it's a collection of ideas which weren't just not stylistically appropriate for Edge of Sanity, but also just plain weren't good enough.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#772927) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2012

Post a review of NIGHTINGALE "The Closing Chronicles"