THE CLOSING CHRONICLES

Nightingale The Closing Chronicles album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy NIGHTINGALE Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Deep Inside of Nowhere (7:12)
2. Revival (4:24)
3. Thoughts From a Stolen Soul (9:00)
4. So Long (Still I Wonder) (4:47)
5. Steal the Moon (3:17)
6. Intermezzo (4:22)
7. Alive Again (9:26)

Search NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles lyrics

Search NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles tabs

- Dan Swanö / guitars, vocals, keyboards, drums
- Tom Nouga / bass, guitars, keyboards

CD Black Mark #90 (1996)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

NIGHTINGALE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles Music

Light DanceLight Dance
Jay Records 1999
Caterina Valente The Hi-Fi Nightingale DL-8203 Mono LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
Connection by Nightingale (Cassette, 1990, Higher Octave) US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Heart Chakra Meditation - Karunesh 1996 Nightingale Records US $19.95 Buy It Now 1h 53m
SYLVERS BONGO BAND NIGHTINGALE THE THING WITH TWO HEADS LP PRIDE (1972) NM FUNK US $11.24 Buy It Now 2h 32m
NOS Unplayed! OLLIE NIGHTINGALE "How Far New York City" 45 @ '72 Soul FUNK Pride US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Rogue Wave - Nightingale Floors [Vinyl New] US $19.56 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Ollie Nightingale - Best Of Ollie Nightingale [CD New] US $13.40 Buy It Now 3h 11m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE "LEAD ME ON" "LOVE ME LIKE YOU MEAN IT" US $0.99 Buy It Now 3h 21m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE "GOTTA BE THE ONE" "SAME" US $1.50 Buy It Now 3h 21m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE "RIGHT BACK WHERE WE STARTED FROM" "WILL YOU BE MY LOVER US $3.29 Buy It Now 3h 22m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE "TURN TO ME W/ JIMMY RUFFIN" "GIVE A LITTLE LOVE TO ME" US $3.29 Buy It Now 3h 25m
MILLS BROTHERS "IN DE BANANA TREE" "THE KNOCKED OUT NIGHTINGALE" US $3.29 Buy It Now 3h 25m
45 RPM RECORD BERT KAEMPFERT LONELY NIGHTINGALE RED ROSES FOR A BLUE LADY DECCA US $7.50 [0 bids]
DORA LABBETTE Soprano Song of a Nightingale 78 COLUMBIA 4808 US $20.89 Buy It Now 4h
(DD749) Fionn Regan, For A Nightingale - 2011 DJ CD US $3.20 Buy It Now 4h 8m
EARL NIGHTINGALE "The Strangest Secret" 1958 Columbia Records Album LP US $45.00 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Nightingale by Gilberto Gil (CD, Mar-2006, Collectables) US $7.51 Buy It Now 4h 47m
DARYNN ZIMMER - SAVAGE NIGHTINGALE NEW CD US $22.49 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Donizetti: Maria Stuarda (CD, Jul-1996, 2 Discs, Nightingale Classics) US $12.97 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Chesky Prokofieff Lt Kije / Stravinsky Song of nightingale RC-10 SEALED US $79.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE All Night With Me ((**NEW 45 DJ**)) from 1980 US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 23m
GLENN CLOSE Emperor And The Nightingale NEW SEALED 1987 Soundtrack LP MARK ISHAM US $7.99 [0 bids]
LITTLE JOHNNY TAYLOR - NIGHTINGALE MELODY - YOU WIN I LOSE R&B Popcorn Soul US $20.00 [0 bids]
Maxine Nightingale - Lead me On 7 " Vinyl 45 rpm Windsong Records NM 1979 US $2.00 Buy It Now 7h 19m
GARC¡A LORCA, FEDERI - SAVAGE NIGHTINGALE - NEW CD US $17.18 Buy It Now 7h 24m
ESQUIVEL JUNGLE DRUMS NIGHTINGALE RCA 6496 EXOTICA MOD POPCORN 45!!! US $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 30m
Nightingale, Adrienne Love & Light CD US $9.42 Buy It Now 7h 52m
ERNA SACK european nightingale 10" VG+ L-8000 Caoitol Telefunken 1950 Record US $6.75 Buy It Now 8h 43m
New Sealed Closing Chronicles by Nightingale CD, 1996 Dan Swano Black Mark US $16.99 Buy It Now 8h 51m
1924 Brunswick Records 78rpm FREDRIC FRADKIN Memory Lane / Nightingale - Violin US $10.99 Buy It Now 9h 18m
NIGHTINGALE THE BREATHING SHADOW JAPAN CD OBI 2500yen US $29.99 Buy It Now 9h 31m
EARL NIGHTINGALE THE STRANGEST SECRET VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM! US $2.99 [0 bids]
Nightingale [Original London Cast] by Original Cast (CD, Aug-1999, Jay Records) US $12.95 Buy It Now 10h
DINAH SHORE - NASHVILLE NIGHTINGALE: SELECTED SIDES 1939-1955 - NEW CD BOXSET US $24.63 Buy It Now 10h 41m
Nightingale The Breathing Shadow CD 1995 used G / NM original Black Mark US $12.60 Buy It Now 11h 46m
Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade; Igor Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale US $7.95 Buy It Now 11h 48m
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - BEST OF OLLIE NIGHTINGALE NEW CD US $19.26 Buy It Now 12h 52m
NM 12"~MAXINE NIGHTINGALE~(Bringing Out)The Girl In Me~[5:08]~Hideaway~[7:37]~ US $2.90 Buy It Now 13h 57m
Stereo MC's Emperor's Nightingale - New CD Not Sealed US $8.35 Buy It Now 15h 52m
Earl Nightingale - SEALED & Mint - Quebec Canada - LP US $11.00 Buy It Now 17h 26m
Maxine Nightingale 45 Lead Me On w/ts US $2.00 Buy It Now 17h 29m
Rose & The Nightingale - Spirit Of The Garden CD US $18.25 Buy It Now 17h 48m
Connie Haines - Nightingale From Savannah CD US $18.29 Buy It Now 18h 18m
Piers Adams - English Nightingale CD US $18.29 Buy It Now 18h 20m
Rogue Wave - Nightingale Floors CD US $14.74 Buy It Now 18h 20m
The Emperor's Nightingale LP Theatre A La Carte Folkway US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 22m
Ollie Nightingale - Tell Me What You Want Me To Do CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 18h 32m
I. Stravinsky - Petrushka (1911 Version) Song Of The Nightingale CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 18h 34m
Nakata Fukai Hayasaka Yamada D - Nightingale-Japanese Art Songs CD US $25.43 Buy It Now 18h 36m
Inger Wikstrom - Nightingale CD US $22.16 Buy It Now 18h 36m
Chad & Bram Weijters Mccullough - Urban Nightingale CD US $16.97 Buy It Now 18h 39m
Diana Magazine No. 423 27 March 1971 Jeff Collins Anne Nightingale US $48.25 Buy It Now 18h 39m
Siobhan Lamb - Nightingale & The Rose CD US $22.06 Buy It Now 18h 40m
Dinah Shore - Nashville Nightingale CD US $32.37 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Ingeborg Hallstein - Lied Der Nachtigall/Song Of The Nightingale CD US $41.86 Buy It Now 18h 49m
J. Strauss - Die Fledermaus CD NIGHTINGALE US $23.70 Buy It Now 18h 53m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Lead Me On sealed PROMO sexy soul disco w/ RARE sticker Lp US $17.56 Buy It Now 19h 7m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Lead Me On soul FUNKY DISCO mint in shrink wrap Lp US $9.56 Buy It Now 19h 9m
Valente Caterina - The Hi-Fi Nightingale - ACMEM87CD US $13.75 Buy It Now 19h 26m
Dorothy Moore Blues & Soul Issue 194 1976 Maxine Nightingale Manhattans Mandrill US $20.10 Buy It Now 19h 32m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE NIGHT LIFE 1977 UA UA-LA731-G USA ALL EX 33 RPM US $7.17 Buy It Now 20h 19m
Tommy Tucker, When My Bluebird Sings The Blues/Good Evening Mr. Nightingale US $6.00 Buy It Now 20h 42m
JOE TEMPERLEY - NIGHTINGALE NEW CD US $21.04 Buy It Now 21h 49m
FOERSTER The Nightingale of Gorenjsko (Opera) STRITARJEVA FRANCL KOROSEC Gallus US $119.00 Buy It Now 21h 50m
Maxine Nightingale Gotta Be The One Advance Promo 7" Vinyl Single 1976 US $6.03 Buy It Now 22h
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Lead Me On WINDSONG LP '75 OG Ray Parker Jr US $1.99 Buy It Now 22h 7m
Pamela Nightingale 12" Single A Night to Remember Rise 6 Italo Disco US $8.00 Buy It Now 22h 11m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE It's A Beautiful Thing '82 HIGHRISE ORIG SOUL JAZZ LP NMint US $1.59 [0 bids]
Fritz Reiner, Prokofieff Lieutenant Kije Stravinsky Nightingale. Sealed 4LP Set US $199.99 Buy It Now 22h 53m
1987 WINDHAM HILL CHILDRENS EMPEROR & NIGHTINGALE GLENN CLOSE ISHAM PROMO LP NM US $7.42 Buy It Now 23h 6m
Nightingale - Three [CD New] US $21.98 Buy It Now 23h 16m
DR. KENNETH MCFARLAND NM How Is America Doing NR Mint EM 1810 Earl Nightingale US $45.95 Buy It Now 23h 22m
BING CROSBY-A NIGHTINGALE SANG IN BERKELEY SQUARE / LONE STAR TRAIL-1941 US $5.00 Buy It Now 23h 27m
NIGHTINGALE RECORDS SAMPLER 2 1987 CASSETTE Karunesh Anugama US $7.07 [0 bids]
Nightingale A New Musical Original London Cast Fact Sealed 820 248-1 US $9.99 Buy It Now 23h 43m
Maxine Nightingale,Will You Be My Lover.UP 36215.7" Vinyl DEMO Northern Soul 45. US $6.35 Buy It Now 23h 43m
Rougue Wave - Nightingale Floors - VR4087 US $17.56 Buy It Now 23h 50m
NIGHTINGALE MARK/QUINTET - OUT OF THE BOX - WVCD129 US $19.04 Buy It Now 23h 54m
SILVERSTONE KEZI - NIGHTINGALE - CLANNKS0114CDS US $6.38 Buy It Now 23h 57m
Soul 45 OLLIE NIGHTINGALE A Good Woman At Home (Is Better Than Two In The Street US $5.00 Buy It Now 23h 59m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Right Back Where We Started From LP UA-LA625-G SEALED US $17.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Lead Me On sealed PROMO sexy soul disco HYPE sticker Lp US $17.56 [0 bids]
Wonderful Two-Headed Nightingale - Ensemble Scottish New & Sealed Compact Disc F US $24.97 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE LEAD ME ON BXL 1-3404 LP US $5.00 [0 bids]
Maxine Nightingale Lead Me On Windsong 45 Record #11530 NM 1979 US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Love Hit Me 7" Single Vinyl Record 45rpm United Artists 1977 US $9.63 Buy It Now 1 day
REINER ~ Prokofieff/Stravinsky Nightingale LP RCA Living Stereo LSC-2150 INDY US $11.99 [0 bids]
LUCY ISABELLE MARSH SPRING'S AWAKENING & THE NIGHTINGALE VICTOR 55140 US $6.42 Buy It Now 1 day
Fritz Reiner/Chicago PROKOFIEV Kije/STRAVINSKY Nightingale - Chesky RC10 SEALED US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MAXINE Nightingale 7" record Right Back Where We Started From 45 rpm single US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Nightingale (Japanische Kunstlieder), New Music US $16.41 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale: Night life LP 12" 12inch vinyl record 3d US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
GLENN CLOSE: The Emperor And The Nightingale US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Savage Nightingale Darynn Zimmer soprano new CD Elliot Fisk guitar Garcia Lorca US $8.98 Buy It Now 1 day
NIGHTINGALE / LONDON CAST NEW CD US $23.21 Buy It Now 1 day
Earl Nightingale - The Strangest Secret - Nightingale-Conant 7313 - EX AUDIO US $9.99 [1 bids]
Maxine Nightingale Love Hit Me 12" Rare Disco 45 RPM (New/Sealed) US $0.99 [0 bids]
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - AT HIS BEST 2 NEW CD US $13.83 Buy It Now 1 day
Nightingale 1989 Light Dance [used TAPE] US $1.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale- It's a Beautiful Thing- new/sealed cassette tape US $3.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy NIGHTINGALE music online Buy NIGHTINGALE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NIGHTINGALE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles ratings distribution

NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars The second album from Nightingale called The Closing Chronicles are a bit different when you compare it to Nightingale´s debut album The Breathing Shadow. Gone are the goth rock influences from the debut and what we have left is an excellent neo prog/ symphonic prog album. Forget that this album is in the progressive metal catagory here on Prog Archives because there are only slight metal tendencies on The Closing Chronicles. I think The Breathing Shadow was a really good album and gave it a small 4 star rating, but with The Closing Chronicles Nightingale has made an even better album.

The music is inspired by neo prog legends like Marillion, IQ and Pallas, but it´s a bit darker in sound and mood which is probably due to Dan Swanö´s Death metal background. There are beautiful vocal melodies and instrumentation throughout the album and songs like Deep Inside of Nowhere, Revival, the very progressive Thoughts From a Stolen Soul and the closing epic Alive Again are all beautiful examples of Nightingale´s magic. Steal the Moon is a bit of a rocker and great for the diversity of the album. So Long ( Still I Wonder) and Intermezzo are ballad type songs but of the type that never gets cheesy. Note the beautiful keyboard and guitar riffs throughout the album. Especially people into darker neo prog should be able to find pleasure here.

Dan Swanö still plays just about everything on the album, but gets help from his brother Tom Nouga on additional guitar, keyboards and bass. I´m not sure but I think it is Tom who plays the melodic solos on the album. One of the objections people had about the debut was the programmed drums and here on The Closing Chronicles Dan Swanö has chosen to play the drums himself. Dan isn´t the best drummer in the whole world but he does a nice job here.

The production is a bit better than on the debut but it´s still low budget. Some might be turned off by this but judge yourself.

I´ve had this album for many years and still enjoy it every time I listen to it. I consider this to be the best Nightingale album and one of the best albums ever to feature Dan Swanö. 4 stars is a matter of course for this excellent album. Highly recommendable.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#165055) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2008

3 stars On NIGHTINGALE's second album Dan Swano gets some help from Tom Nouga who plays bass and adds some guitar and keyboards. He also wrote one track and helped out on a couple of others. Oh, and he also produced this recording. Dan Swano did it all on the debut. I'm in the minority I know, but I prefer the more Gothic sounding debut. The guitar is more out front on that one too, and there is an eighties flavour to it that appeals to me. Less keys too. Anyway I agree with UMUR that it's a small four stars, so I give this one 3.5 stars.

"Deep Inside Of Nowhere" opens with keys as vocals join in. It sounds like flute 1 1/2 minutes in in this melancholic intro. It's more powerful 2 minutes in. Then it changes with spoken vocals followed by full sound with vocals, drums and guitar. Tasteful guitar 5 minutes in. "Revival" opens with some nice heavy guitar then it settles with vocals quickly. Contrasts continue. Good song. "Thoughts From A Stolen Soul" opens with some atmosphere as almost spoken vocals join in. The guitar starts to lead 1 1/2 minutes in. It picks up a minute later. The tempo continues to change. Organ before 7 minutes as the guitar follows. Nice. Vocals are back 8 minutes in.

"So Long (Still I Wonder)" features synths, bass and reserved vocals early. Guitar follows tastefully. Drums after 2 1/2 minutes when the vocals stop. The guitar solos as well here. It's fuller with vocals a minute later. "Steal The Moon" opens with bass and kicks in quickly. Guitar solo 2 minutes in followed by organ. "Intermezzo" is kind of dark with keyboards and almost spoken vocals. "Alive Again" opens with keyboards and synths as vocals join in right away. Drums too.The focus is on the vocals though as usual. It sounds better after 3 1/2 minutes. In fact the best part of the album by far is from this point to the end of this song.That's six minutes worth. Deep bass to start and I like the guitar too.

A good album with perhaps better compositions than the debut, but to my ears it doesn't sound as good as their first record.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#262236) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 23, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Nightingale's second album shows a considerable growth since the debut. Dan Swanö got assisted by his brother Tom Nouga and all songs now feature live drums from Swanö. These changes led to an album that is less gothic in style and has a greater attention to arrangement, musicality and composition.

The opening track for instance has a decidedly proggy start, with a dramatic piano theme, flutes and strong vocal melodies. On the epic highlights Thoughts From A Stolen Soul and Alive Again, Nightingale really succeed in adding a darker shade to neo-prog. It gives them an original profile in this industrious scene. My favourite of the album would be the gloomy beauty of Intermezzo, featuring nothing but a few solemn keyboard chords and Swanö's vocals that are simultaneously warm, calm, melodious and touching. A rare combination. Neo-prog usually lacks vocalists with pose and punch for me. But with an excellent vocalist as Dan Swanö it can indeed turn out tasty and soulful.

All these elements make this into a decidedly more professional and progressive album then the debut. But is it also better?

Opinions are divided. The current verdict of the legions of Nightingale fans on PA balance each other out: one vote in favour of the debut and one in favour of The Closing Chronicles. For me it's always been the debut. Clumsy as it sometimes sounds, its dark energy has an irresistible charm, one that I only find back here on the two 9 minute songs and on Intermezzo.

In just a year Nightingale evolved from a goth project with proggy undertones into a melodious neo-prog band with only Swanö's warm gloomy baritone as a remaining goth feature. The result is different but still unique and solid. A recommended listen. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#266626) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars At first I thought that there's something bad with my hearing. And even more with my genre distinction, because I simply hear Neo Prog in this music. OK, they stopped being goth and combinet Neo with Prog Metal and I say: Why not, if it's possible (album is out for many years, it works), then it's alright. And this fact again shows how thin can be line between certain genres.

Tracks are melodic, after all, this album I know because of recommendation I was given in proper thread on forums (and I'm so keen on suggestions that I go first check my collection if I already has this album or not - I'm still not so good to remember them all). Two man band (I suppose they don't go touring.

Except borderline cases of PM / Neo (more on Neo side), there is something like Rock song (however with keyboards flavour) Steal the Moon which is short, but serves its purpose. However Intermezzo is disappointment. Purely narrative tracks without anything musical to offer. If it's intro, it's 1)quite long one 2)not so good one. And Alive Again is better again.

4(-), let's just overlook it's classified as Prog Metal, OK ? For Prog's sake.

EDIT July 2010 - not that bad, added + 0.5.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#283823) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 28, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars Nightingale seems to have been conceived as a side-project for Dan Swano to get out all the musical ideas he wants to play with which don't fit his main projects; the first Nightigale album, The Breathing Shadow, is reportedly a mildly proggy goth rock album, whereas this time around the goth influence is restricted more or less solely to Swano's vocal delivery. Musically speaking, the rest of The Closing Chronicles is a sort of light prog metal which goes easy on the progginess - there's just enough mainstream prog metal motifs to convince me that the album hasn't been misfiled, but not enough to really satisfy fans who like their prog metal to be really, really proggy - there isn't any technical pyrotechnics to the extent that you'd get even on a Dream Theater album from around this period. For my part, though I'm not into progginess for its own sake, the album seems to be rather half-baked to me - as though it's a collection of ideas which weren't just not stylistically appropriate for Edge of Sanity, but also just plain weren't good enough.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#772927) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2012

Post a review of NIGHTINGALE "The Closing Chronicles"