THE CLOSING CHRONICLES

Nightingale

Nightingale The Closing Chronicles album cover

Buy NIGHTINGALE Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Deep Inside of Nowhere (7:12)
2. Revival (4:24)
3. Thoughts From a Stolen Soul (9:00)
4. So Long (Still I Wonder) (4:47)
5. Steal the Moon (3:17)
6. Intermezzo (4:22)
7. Alive Again (9:26)

Search NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles lyrics

Search NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles tabs

- Dan Swanö / guitars, vocals, keyboards, drums
- Tom Nouga / bass, guitars, keyboards

CD Black Mark #90 (1996)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

NIGHTINGALE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles Music

Breathing ShadowBreathing Shadow
Black Mark Germany 1996
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE love hit me UP 36215 near mint disc uk 7" WS EX/ US $11.91 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Soul Promo 45 OLLIE NIGHTINGALE Disco Granny on Pathfin US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
PICCOLO DUET Cuckoo and Nightingale 78 DACAPO RECORD 222 US $22.14 Buy It Now 1h 45m
ECS 776 - STRAVINSKY - Pulcinella / Song Of The Nightingale ANSERMET - Ex Con LP US $15.32 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Caterina Valente - The Hi-Fi Nightingale (NEW CD) US $16.60 Buy It Now 1h 55m
SEALED LP~MAXINE NIGHTINGALE~It's A Beautiful Thing~[Original 1982 HIGHRISE Iss] US $5.97 Buy It Now 2h 52m
STEREO MC'S - EMPEROR'S NIGHTINGALE - NEW CD US $18.71 Buy It Now 3h
Catrina Valenti "The Hi-Fi Nightingale" Original Deep Groove US $3.00 [0 bids]
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE I CAN'T SET YOU FREE 45 RETTA'S US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Hi-Fi Nightingale by Caterina Valente CD Mint #DF69 US $12.71 Buy It Now 3h 44m
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE: Troubled In Mind 1983 Retta LP Private Press Soul Funk R US $50.00 Buy It Now 3h 45m
BERT KAEMPFERT & ORCHESTRA Lonely Nightingale 7 inch 45 US $0.52 [0 bids]
Nightingale [Original London Cast] by Original Cast (CD, Aug-1999, Jay Records) US $7.99 [0 bids]
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE How Far From New York City VG(+) 45 RPM US $0.05 [0 bids]
Red Roses For A Blue Lady - Lonely Nightingale Berk Kaempfert DECCA 31722 US $2.97 [0 bids]
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE LEAD ME ON NM 45RPM SLSR 157 ACL US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Vintage MAXINE NIGHTINGALE LEAD ME ON Vinyl Record LP - 1979 - VG Condition!! US $4.14 Buy It Now 6h 15m
Eiji Oue, Stravinsky The Firebird Suite Nightingale 200 Gr Vinyl Reference Rec. US $64.99 Buy It Now 6h 39m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE: Bittersweet (soul vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 6h 46m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - (BRINGING OUT) THE GIRL IN ME- 12" US $4.98 Buy It Now 6h 49m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Lead Me On soul FUNKY DISCO mint in shrink wrap 10 days Lp US $9.56 [0 bids]
Nightingale - You're Something New Carole King Ode Records ODE 66106 US $3.27 Buy It Now 7h 5m
Maxine Nightingale- It's a Beautiful Thing- new/sealed cassette tape US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE SECRET STARS Nightingale 7" Geoff Farina Karate Dischord US $5.99 Buy It Now 9h 39m
(AQ836) Lizzie Nightingale, Left Right Left - DJ CD US $5.10 Buy It Now 9h 43m
BERT KAEMPFERT: Lonely Nightingale/Red Roses For A Blue Lady (NM vinyl 45) US $12.00 Buy It Now 9h 46m
JUDY COLLINS: Amazing Grace/Nightingale I (rock VG+ vinyl 45 Elektra E-45708) US $6.00 Buy It Now 10h 13m
Warings Pennsylvanians / Paul Whiteman & Orc - VIC 19492 - Nashville Nightingale US $15.00 Buy It Now 10h 30m
KRISTUIT SALU VS. MORRIS NIGHTINGALE - MY MINES I NEW CD US $22.98 Buy It Now 10h 45m
THE BEST OF TUNDE NIGHTINGALE JAPAN CD OBI NEW SS Y4575 US $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 10m
45 Record 7" Carole King - Nightingale / You're Something New US $1.25 Buy It Now 11h 21m
Nightingale ?- Alive Again: The Breathing Shadow Part IV US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Emperor and the Nightingale Mark Isham LP 12" 12inch vinyl record album 5c US $10.20 Buy It Now 11h 51m
London STS 15011 STRAVINSKY Pulcinella Suite & Song of the Nightingale ANSERMET US $2.00 [1 bids]
CATERINA VALENTE the HI-FI nightingale LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 12h 11m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE (Bringing Out) The Girl In Me (U.S. 7inch) US $50.01 Buy It Now 12h 29m
10`` Valeria Barsova, Soprano: Cui Bolero / Alyabiev Nightingale 78 RPM Mono US $14.00 Buy It Now 12h 45m
Lot of 4 Rare Italian 78rpm records all on Nightingale Records Antonio Conte ++| US $40.00 Buy It Now 12h 50m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE, One Last Ride-Gotta Be The One 45 UA-XW820-Y VG+ VG+ 1976 US $5.99 [0 bids]
THE EVERLY BROTHERS, On The Wings Of A Nightingale-Asleep, 45 1984 VG+, VG+ US $5.99 [0 bids]
Nightingale - Alive Again: The Breathing Shadow Part IV (Cassette) Russia SEALED US $23.50 Buy It Now 13h 53m
SEALED - MAXINE NIGHTINGALE / NIGHT LIFE Larry Carlton US $11.99 Buy It Now 14h 39m
GILBERTO GIL-NIGHTINGALE-JAPAN CD Di73 US $24.99 Buy It Now 15h 7m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - LOVE HIT ME - MAXINE NIGHTINGALE - UP36215 US $11.91 Buy It Now 19h 29m
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring: The Nightingale US $6.83 Buy It Now 19h 40m
THE HI-FI NIGHTINGALE - NEW CD US $15.50 Buy It Now 20h 14m
CD TED HEATH SWEET & LOVELY NIGHTINGALE SANG NOSTALGIA US $6.80 Buy It Now 21h 7m
CD VERA LYNN NOSTALGIA WE'LL MEET AGAIN NIGHTINGALE US $8.50 Buy It Now 21h 7m
CD VERA LYNN WE'LL MEET AGAIN HARBOUR LIGHTS WHITE CLIFFS NIGHTINGALE SANG ETC US $6.80 Buy It Now 21h 7m
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE "ONE LAST RIDE c/w GOTTA BE THE ONE" 70'S LISTEN US $8.50 Buy It Now 21h 46m
Handel: The Cuckoo and the Nightingale - 4 Organ Concertos /Preston · English C US $6.29 Buy It Now 23h 54m
NM LP~MAXINE NIGHTINGALE~It's A Beautiful Thing~[Original 1982 HIGHRIS US $4.57 [0 bids]
ROXY MUSIC - NIGHTINGALE MASSEY CD Bryan Ferry US $28.95 [0 bids]
Various OST(Vinyl LP)Nightingale-TER-TER 1031-UK-Ex-/Ex US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Bert Kaempfert. US $3.00 Buy It Now 1 day
45 RPM Ollie Nightingale Standing on Your Promise US $9.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Nightingale - Sometimes When The Moon Is High [CD New] US $21.98 Buy It Now 1 day
EVERLY BROTHERS EB84 JAPAN LP MINT mercury 1984 on the wings of a nightingale US $19.99 [0 bids]
Kristuit Salu Vs. Morris Nightingale - My Mines I [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Rock Nm! 45 Carole King - You'Re Something New / Nightingale On Ode Records Inc US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MARK NIGHTINGALE QUI - OUT OF THE BOX - NEW CD US $18.11 Buy It Now 1 day
CAROLE KING nightingale 7" promo b/w you're something new (ods66106) uk ode 1974 US $10.94 Buy It Now 1 day
Ollie Nightingale May The Best Man Win DEEP SOUL 45 US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Everly Brothers 45 "On The Wings Of A Nightingale" US $5.24 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale 45 "(Bringing Out) The Girl In Me" w/Picture Sleeve US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale Right back where we started/Believe in what 7" vinyl United US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Everly Brothers NM 45 rpm "On The Wings Of A Nightingale" US $2.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Maxine Nightingale "All Night With Me" RCA 7" 45 PROMO VG+++ US $0.99 [0 bids]
Red Hot & Blue LEE ATWATER/BB KING/OLLIE NIGHTINGALE/ISAAC HAYES++ BarBQue PROMO US $50.00 [0 bids]
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE STANDING ON YOUR PROMISE /IT'S A SAD THING 45 MEMPHIS US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Gilberto Gil NIGHTINGALE Elektra 6E-167 Near Mint- US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Nightingale,Ollie - Make It Sweet [CD New] US $16.02 Buy It Now 1 day
6678 Right Back Where We Started From-Maxine Nightingale 45rpm Pop EX 1975 7" US $1.29 [0 bids]
Nightingale Song ALMA GLUCK One-Sided 10" VICTOR Phonograph Record #64566 VG US $3.50 [0 bids]
Stravinsky / Ansermet / Pulcinella Suite/Song Of The Nightingale/Fire Bird LP US $20.00 [0 bids]
# TRAMPS & HAWKERS The Nightingale CD excell condition US $4.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Bogna Skorska - The Warsaw Nightingale US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
(Bringing Out) The Girl In Me by Maxine Nightingale Funk Windsong 1979 near mint US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Nightingale by Carole King Rock Ode 1974 vg+ US $4.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Booty Scoot by Ollie Nightingale R&B Ecko 1997 vg+ US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE EVERLY BROTHERS - On The Wings Of A Nightingale / Asleep - 45RPM US $1.50 [1 bids]
Maxine Nightingale Love me like you mean it/Lead me on 7" vinyl Windsong US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD: Lead Me on - Maxine Nightingale - Sealed US $18.39 Buy It Now 1 day
ORIGINAL CAST RECORDING - NIGHTINGALE - CDJAY1327 US $20.50 Buy It Now 1 day
CD WHEELS FARGO AND THE NIGHTINGALE " AT THE HAYRIDE" COUNTRY ROCKABILLY US $17.50 Buy It Now 1 day
PARKHOMOVSKY SOLOVYANENKO Khrennikov Nightingale Sings MELODIYA 2LP C29371 MINT US $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Love Hit Me UK 7" 45 US $6.73 Buy It Now 2 days
Erna Sack(Vinyl LP)The German Nightingale-Telefunken-GMA 86-UK-VG/NM US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
78rpm library music DOLF VAN DER LINDEN the nightingale / the fountain PR 538 US $47.72 Buy It Now 2 days
Maxine Nightingale Right Back Where We Started From 1976 Stereo LP VG++ US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
NIGHTINGALE - I [NIGHTINGALE] - NEW CD US $11.61 Buy It Now 2 days
OLLIE NIGHTINGALE - MAKE IT SWEET NEW CD US $22.58 Buy It Now 2 days
POP ROCK/ The Everly Brothers - On The Wing Of A Nightingale (Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SLPM 138 006 Stravinsky The Firebird The Nightingale Lorin Maazel 1960s EX/EX US $21.30 Buy It Now 2 days
MAXINE NIGHTINGALE Lead Me On WINDSONG NM- US $11.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ROGUE WAVE- Nightingale Floors CD (2013 Mint) US Indie, Alternative Rock US $11.57 Buy It Now 2 days
ANONYMOUS, ENGLISH - CHIRPING OF THE NIGHTINGALE: MR. PLAYFORD'S - NEW CD US $14.35 Buy It Now 2 days
ELLY AMELING**DUTCH NIGHTINGALE**8 CD SET US $46.21 Buy It Now 2 days
Soul NM! 45 OLLIE NIGHTINGALE A Good Woman At Home (Is Better Than Two In The St US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Soul NM! 45 OLLIE NIGHTINGALE Here I Am Again on Pride US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy NIGHTINGALE music online Buy NIGHTINGALE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for NIGHTINGALE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles ratings distribution

NIGHTINGALE The Closing Chronicles reviews

Review by UMUR
4 stars The second album from Nightingale called The Closing Chronicles are a bit different when you compare it to Nightingale´s debut album The Breathing Shadow. Gone are the goth rock influences from the debut and what we have left is an excellent neo prog/ symphonic prog album. Forget that this album is in the progressive metal catagory here on Prog Archives because there are only slight metal tendencies on The Closing Chronicles. I think The Breathing Shadow was a really good album and gave it a small 4 star rating, but with The Closing Chronicles Nightingale has made an even better album.

The music is inspired by neo prog legends like Marillion, IQ and Pallas, but it´s a bit darker in sound and mood which is probably due to Dan Swanö´s Death metal background. There are beautiful vocal melodies and instrumentation throughout the album and songs like Deep Inside of Nowhere, Revival, the very progressive Thoughts From a Stolen Soul and the closing epic Alive Again are all beautiful examples of Nightingale´s magic. Steal the Moon is a bit of a rocker and great for the diversity of the album. So Long ( Still I Wonder) and Intermezzo are ballad type songs but of the type that never gets cheesy. Note the beautiful keyboard and guitar riffs throughout the album. Especially people into darker neo prog should be able to find pleasure here.

Dan Swanö still plays just about everything on the album, but gets help from his brother Tom Nouga on additional guitar, keyboards and bass. I´m not sure but I think it is Tom who plays the melodic solos on the album. One of the objections people had about the debut was the programmed drums and here on The Closing Chronicles Dan Swanö has chosen to play the drums himself. Dan isn´t the best drummer in the whole world but he does a nice job here.

The production is a bit better than on the debut but it´s still low budget. Some might be turned off by this but judge yourself.

I´ve had this album for many years and still enjoy it every time I listen to it. I consider this to be the best Nightingale album and one of the best albums ever to feature Dan Swanö. 4 stars is a matter of course for this excellent album. Highly recommendable.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#165055) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2008

3 stars On NIGHTINGALE's second album Dan Swano gets some help from Tom Nouga who plays bass and adds some guitar and keyboards. He also wrote one track and helped out on a couple of others. Oh, and he also produced this recording. Dan Swano did it all on the debut. I'm in the minority I know, but I prefer the more Gothic sounding debut. The guitar is more out front on that one too, and there is an eighties flavour to it that appeals to me. Less keys too. Anyway I agree with UMUR that it's a small four stars, so I give this one 3.5 stars.

"Deep Inside Of Nowhere" opens with keys as vocals join in. It sounds like flute 1 1/2 minutes in in this melancholic intro. It's more powerful 2 minutes in. Then it changes with spoken vocals followed by full sound with vocals, drums and guitar. Tasteful guitar 5 minutes in. "Revival" opens with some nice heavy guitar then it settles with vocals quickly. Contrasts continue. Good song. "Thoughts From A Stolen Soul" opens with some atmosphere as almost spoken vocals join in. The guitar starts to lead 1 1/2 minutes in. It picks up a minute later. The tempo continues to change. Organ before 7 minutes as the guitar follows. Nice. Vocals are back 8 minutes in.

"So Long (Still I Wonder)" features synths, bass and reserved vocals early. Guitar follows tastefully. Drums after 2 1/2 minutes when the vocals stop. The guitar solos as well here. It's fuller with vocals a minute later. "Steal The Moon" opens with bass and kicks in quickly. Guitar solo 2 minutes in followed by organ. "Intermezzo" is kind of dark with keyboards and almost spoken vocals. "Alive Again" opens with keyboards and synths as vocals join in right away. Drums too.The focus is on the vocals though as usual. It sounds better after 3 1/2 minutes. In fact the best part of the album by far is from this point to the end of this song.That's six minutes worth. Deep bass to start and I like the guitar too.

A good album with perhaps better compositions than the debut, but to my ears it doesn't sound as good as their first record.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#262236) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 23, 2010

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Nightingale's second album shows a considerable growth since the debut. Dan Swanö got assisted by his brother Tom Nouga and all songs now feature live drums from Swanö. These changes led to an album that is less gothic in style and has a greater attention to arrangement, musicality and composition.

The opening track for instance has a decidedly proggy start, with a dramatic piano theme, flutes and strong vocal melodies. On the epic highlights Thoughts From A Stolen Soul and Alive Again, Nightingale really succeed in adding a darker shade to neo-prog. It gives them an original profile in this industrious scene. My favourite of the album would be the gloomy beauty of Intermezzo, featuring nothing but a few solemn keyboard chords and Swanö's vocals that are simultaneously warm, calm, melodious and touching. A rare combination. Neo-prog usually lacks vocalists with pose and punch for me. But with an excellent vocalist as Dan Swanö it can indeed turn out tasty and soulful.

All these elements make this into a decidedly more professional and progressive album then the debut. But is it also better?

Opinions are divided. The current verdict of the legions of Nightingale fans on PA balance each other out: one vote in favour of the debut and one in favour of The Closing Chronicles. For me it's always been the debut. Clumsy as it sometimes sounds, its dark energy has an irresistible charm, one that I only find back here on the two 9 minute songs and on Intermezzo.

In just a year Nightingale evolved from a goth project with proggy undertones into a melodious neo-prog band with only Swanö's warm gloomy baritone as a remaining goth feature. The result is different but still unique and solid. A recommended listen. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#266626) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars At first I thought that there's something bad with my hearing. And even more with my genre distinction, because I simply hear Neo Prog in this music. OK, they stopped being goth and combinet Neo with Prog Metal and I say: Why not, if it's possible (album is out for many years, it works), then it's alright. And this fact again shows how thin can be line between certain genres.

Tracks are melodic, after all, this album I know because of recommendation I was given in proper thread on forums (and I'm so keen on suggestions that I go first check my collection if I already has this album or not - I'm still not so good to remember them all). Two man band (I suppose they don't go touring.

Except borderline cases of PM / Neo (more on Neo side), there is something like Rock song (however with keyboards flavour) Steal the Moon which is short, but serves its purpose. However Intermezzo is disappointment. Purely narrative tracks without anything musical to offer. If it's intro, it's 1)quite long one 2)not so good one. And Alive Again is better again.

4(-), let's just overlook it's classified as Prog Metal, OK ? For Prog's sake.

EDIT July 2010 - not that bad, added + 0.5.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#283823) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 28, 2010

Review by Warthur
2 stars Nightingale seems to have been conceived as a side-project for Dan Swano to get out all the musical ideas he wants to play with which don't fit his main projects; the first Nightigale album, The Breathing Shadow, is reportedly a mildly proggy goth rock album, whereas this time around the goth influence is restricted more or less solely to Swano's vocal delivery. Musically speaking, the rest of The Closing Chronicles is a sort of light prog metal which goes easy on the progginess - there's just enough mainstream prog metal motifs to convince me that the album hasn't been misfiled, but not enough to really satisfy fans who like their prog metal to be really, really proggy - there isn't any technical pyrotechnics to the extent that you'd get even on a Dream Theater album from around this period. For my part, though I'm not into progginess for its own sake, the album seems to be rather half-baked to me - as though it's a collection of ideas which weren't just not stylistically appropriate for Edge of Sanity, but also just plain weren't good enough.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#772927) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2012

Post a review of NIGHTINGALE "The Closing Chronicles"