ACROSS THE CIRCLE'S EDGE

- Tim Wilson / drums

With:
- Phil Murray / keyboards

1990: Self-released on vinyl
1992: Re-released on CD with alternate cover - SI Music Records Simply Seventeen
2012: Re-released via iTunes, Amazon and other digital media outlets with additional keyboards parts.

Thanks to erik neuteboom for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

WINTER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy WINTER Across The Circle's Edge Music

Dead Winter Dead by Savatage (CD, Oct-1995, Atlantic (Label) MINT CONDITION US $6.99 Buy It Now 33m 18s
Winter Moon, Pepper, Art, New US $11.16 Buy It Now 35m 19s
VHTF Hank Williams MGM 11928 Faded Love And Winter Roses / Please Don't Let Me US $19.95 [0 bids]
40m 39s
Tarja - My Winter Storm NEW CD US $15.73 Buy It Now 41m 12s
CONNIE FRANCIS--PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY---(BLUE WINTER)--PS--PIC--SLV US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 56s
My Heart Belongs To Cecilia Winter - Our Love Will Cut Through Everythi [CD New] US $20.84 Buy It Now 49m 13s
EDGAR WINTER GROUP WITH RICK DERRINGER (1975) ORIGINAL JAPAN CD ESCA7553 US $24.99 Buy It Now 52m 11s
TERRY WINTER "SUMMER HOLIDAY" RCA 1972 In Spanish GARAGE MEXICAN EP 7'' Listen?? US $25.50 Buy It Now 55m 5s
JANIS IAN - IN THE WINTER - PORTUGAL 45 SINGLE US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h
Winter in the West - Rare Company Soft Pop Lp Kimberly-Clark - HEAR US $39.95 [0 bids]
1h
45 RPM RECORD/13) ROY DRUSKY / SUMMER,WINTER, SPRING & FALL US $2.00 Buy It Now 1h 6m
As One by Jane Ira Bloom/Fred Hersch (CD, Sep-2001, Winter & Winter) US $12.03 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Right Brain Patrol by Marc Johnson (Bass) (CD, Mar-2004, Winter US $10.18 Buy It Now 1h 15m
LINDA RONSTADT-winter light,AARON NEVILLE,dean parks,ss US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 33m
CINDERELLA / LONG COLD WINTER US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
PAUL WINTER SUN SINGER 1983 JAPAN CD 3200yen D32Y5066 US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
Full Of Harmony - White Album - Winter Best JAPAN ED CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
JEREMY STEIG Temple of Birth M- PROMO WLP KC 33297 Mouzon Johnny Winter Col US $54.95 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Edgar Winter - Entrance / 1970 Epic Stereo LP US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 49m
If on a Winter's Night... [Digipak] by Sting (CD, Oct-2009, Cherry Tree) US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 53m
BRENDA LEE "JINGLE BELL ROCK" & "WINTER WONDER LAND" 45 RPM RECORD US $4.99 [0 bids]
White Album Winter Best by Full of Harmony Japan [Promo CD] W/OBI Brand New US $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Edgar Winter - Edgar Winter's White Trash - Epic Records 1971 - Rock Vinyl LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 22m
FIL CAMPBELL - SONG BIRDS PART TWO FAREWELL TO COLD WINTER - NEW CD - IRISH US $22.96 Buy It Now 2h 24m
EDGAR WINTER Jasmin Nightdreams DEMO NOT FOR SALE Rock Record LP disc VG++ US $11.00 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Paul Winter - Wintersongs Tomorrow Dancing Days 1986 E+ US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
The Winter of Discontent by Generators (The) (CD, Aug-2 US $7.60 Buy It Now 3h 3m
EDGAR WINTER THEY ONLY COME OUT AT NIGHT PE 31584 VINYL LP 1972 ORIG PRESS VG+!! US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 12m
PROJECT Trio-Winter in June CD NEW US $16.90 Buy It Now 3h 15m
SEAY-A Winter Blessing: Songs For The Season CD NEW US $16.90 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Jay Ungar & Molly Mason-The Pleasures of Winter CD NEW US $16.31 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Hughes; The Choral Project-Winter CD NEW US $15.69 Buy It Now 3h 15m
SIMON & GARFUNKEL 3inch CD snap pack JAPAN A HAZY SHADE OF WINTER US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 16m
RAVEN BLACK NIGHT-BARBARIAN WINTER CD NEW US $15.53 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Norman Rose-Winter Lights CD NEW US $11.98 Buy It Now 3h 16m
EDGAR WINTER - Mission Earth SEALED VINYL LP US $16.43 Buy It Now 3h 17m
WINTER NORTH ATLANTIC - Load Line ~ VINYL LP US $14.84 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Long Cold Winter, Cinderella, New US $5.91 Buy It Now 3h 40m
TORI AMOS CRUCIFY single CD Nirvana SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT winter ANGIE 5 track US $9.99 [0 bids]
ENYA AND WINTER CAME... JAPAN CD OBI WPCR-13203 US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
MARTIN McBAIN Winter On The Harbour Lp RARE Aussie FOLK Loner CANDLE Psych N/M US $249.99 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Bill Jones - Two Year Winter 2CD 2003 12trk US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Now Winter 2007 Various CD ft Nickelback Jet Silverchair Missy Higgins Hilary Du US $7.68 Buy It Now 5h 23m
3 INCHES OF BLOOD BATTLECRY UNDER A WINTER SUN FIRST PRESS UK 2002 US $13.00 Buy It Now 5h 26m
MANDY WINTER Julian CD EMI 1988 West Germany Pressing EUROPOP US $19.95 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Sting If On A Winter's Night... CD NEW Gabriel's Message Soul Cake Balulalow US $24.38 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Eric Carmen winter dreams Only Japan CD OBI AOR US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 51m
ROCKY HILL XLNT BLUES CD/TEXAS SHUFFLE - DR. JOHIN, JOHNNY WINTER - BRAND NEW US $7.95 Buy It Now 5h 56m
Trapped Mice - Winter Sun CD US $17.91 Buy It Now 5h 59m
JOHNNY WINTER "Captured Live!" 1976 CD US $6.95 Buy It Now 6h 8m
ENYA - AND WINTER CAME................. US $9.05 Buy It Now 6h 9m
Rare hong kong EDITION/HK printed lp/1978/JOHNNY WINTER/WHITE,HOT US $35.00 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Gil Scott-Heron - Winter In America CD US $22.86 Buy It Now 6h 26m
BASIC LUTHER - Lion In Winter - Christian Music CCM Hard Rock CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
JOHNNY WINTER "THE COLLECTION" EU 18 TRACK TAPE 1987 VG+ US $6.42 Buy It Now 6h 58m
Wallace Winter - Holiday CD Pop Rock US $21.84 Buy It Now 7h 15m
FRIGHTENED RABBIT-WINTER OF MIXED DRINKS CD NEW US $15.02 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Rhonda Lorence-Winter Moon CD NEW US $13.41 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Just Say Yes: Sire's Winter CD Music Sampler by Various Artists (CD, Sire) US $4.57 [0 bids]
GIL SCOTT-HERON & BRIAN JACKSON "WINTER IN AMERICA" KILLER TRACK LISTEN US $14.68 Buy It Now 7h 44m
Cathy Winter - Breath On My Fire/Travelling Home CD (1992) (USA) US $16.31 Buy It Now 7h 46m
Horslips Drive The Cold Winter Away CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Robin Berry,CD,Winter's Gift,Tribute to Minnesotas Season US $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 55m
DISNEY-TOKYO DISNEY RESORT WINTER BEST-JAPAN 3 CD I50 US $41.99 Buy It Now 8h
MOONSTONE - Spring Summer Autumn Winter ~ 12" Single PS US $7.33 Buy It Now 8h 20m
ANDY WINTER Shades of Light Through Black & White CD Prog-Piano Age Of Silence US $5.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
MINISTRY OF SOUND: ADDICTED TO BASS WINTER 2013 - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.43 Buy It Now 8h 47m
JOHNNY WINTER 3RD DEGREE JAPAN CD 3300yen P33P 1ST PR US $39.99 Buy It Now 8h 48m
Love and Money - Winter - Limited Edition Picture CD - Ex Cond - Fast Postage US $9.78 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Emile Pandolfi : Winter Wonderland: Holiday Com CD (1995) US $9.88 Buy It Now 9h
Terry Lightfoot - 'I saw mommy kissing santa claus' / Winter wonderland - 45rpm. US $15.43 [0 bids]
SARAH BRIGHTMAN a winter symphony+3 Japan CD THICK CASE US $23.24 Buy It Now 9h 35m
AFI - Love Like Winter - UK promo 1 track CD US $8.15 Buy It Now 9h 36m
CINDERELLA -3 Japan SHM CD's - Long Cold Winter, Night Songs, Heartbreak Station US $99.99 [0 bids]
CINDERELLA - LONG COLD WINTER - JAPAN JEWEL CASE SHM CD - FACTORY SEALED US $34.95 [0 bids]
SEPHYROTH - The Winter Holocaust / ORG 2005 Sardonic Wrath US $2.99 [0 bids]
MORGANA LADY WINTER HALLEY ZERO US $44.99 Buy It Now 9h 46m
LOVE UNLIMITED - IT MAY BE WINTER OUTSIDE BTC2149 7" VINYL RECORD VG 31 US $4.06 Buy It Now 9h 47m
Johnny Winter : Livin The Blues CD (1993) US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 48m
WINTER PARADE two +1 Japan CD HR/HM BW43 US $13.49 Buy It Now 9h 52m
WINTER BLUE the winter blue JAPAN CD LUIS CONTE GH13 US $13.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
The Bangles(12" Vinyl)Hazy Shade Of Winter-Def Jam-BANGS T3-UK-VG+/Ex US $11.41 Buy It Now 9h 55m
The Tremeloes(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Be Mine/Suddenly Winter-CBS--UK-Ex/VG-Ex/VG US $4.88 Buy It Now 9h 56m
Winter Wonderland...Traditional Christmas...Volume 2 US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Edgar Winter Album by Edgar Winter (CD, Sep-2006, Wounded Bird) US $10.96 [0 bids]
Engelbert Humperdinck(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Take My Heart/Winter World Of Lo-Ex/Ex US $4.88 Buy It Now 9h 58m
Engelbert Humperdinck(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Take My Heart/Winter World Of Lo-Ex/Ex US $4.06 Buy It Now 9h 58m
Engelbert Humperdinck(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Winter World Of Love/Take My Hea-Ex/Ex US $4.06 Buy It Now 9h 58m
David Essex(7" Vinyl)A Winter's Tale-Mercury-MER 127-UK-Ex/VG+ US $8.15 Buy It Now 9h 59m
WINTER BLANKET,New CD EP,Golden Sun US $3.49 Buy It Now 9h 59m
David Essex(7" Vinyl P/S)A Winter's Tale-Mercury-MER 127-UK-VG+/Ex US $8.15 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Ministry of Sound: Addicted to Bass Winter 2009 US $13.43 Buy It Now 10h 13m
SARAH BRIGHTMAN A WINTER SYMPHONY SEALED CD CHRISTMAS US $5.56 Buy It Now 10h 14m
Addicted to Bass Winter 2009 US $11.35 Buy It Now 10h 14m
seasons ~??~ / ? AuTumn / ? Winter - Japan 2 CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 10h 26m
Mu330 : Winter Wonderland CD (1999) US $6.60 Buy It Now 10h 27m
A Winter's Solstice, Vol. 1 by Various Artists (CD, Sep-2003, Windham Hill... US $0.99 [1 bids]
PAUL WINTER CONSORT Silver Solstice 2 CD+DVD AUDIO +NEW US $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Altered State-Winter Warlock+4 BONUS U.S METAL US $18.99 Buy It Now 10h 35m

More places to buy WINTER music online Buy WINTER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for WINTER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

WINTER Across The Circle's Edge ratings distribution

WINTER Across The Circle's Edge reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars This CD is nostalgia for me! In the early Nineties I started to work for the Dutch progrock paper SI Magazine. The owner founded the label SI Music that had (too) strong connections with SI Magazine, eventually this led to their downfall. One of the pros of working for SI Magazine was the fact that you got every SI Music release for free. Those releases were not always my cup of tea (understatement for 'crap'!) but this release still belongs to one of my favorite ones. The six strong compositions (running time 30.23) have obvious echoes from mid-Rush and early Marillion but the dynamics and variety are great, the singer has powerful and expression, the keyboards are tasteful and the guitarist delivers a killer-tribute to Alex Lifeson with many spectacular soli!

Check out E-Bay for this small gem if you don't have a problem with exciting Marillion/Rush wannabees.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#45075) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars This is a review of the latest version of the EP, with the additional keyboards

In 1987, Winter came together as a band in Newtownards, Co. Down, with Johnny Lennie (vocals & lyrics), Rab Beggs (electric/acoustic guitars), Phil Murray (keyboards/additional vocals), Rick Loyer (bass guitar) and John Murphy (drums/percussion). They released this EP on vinyl on their own label in 1990, but what may not be known by many is that it was always just intended to be a demo (because of that there are occasional little timing issues or blips in there in one of 2 places) and the idea was that by using this they would be able to secure a recording deal and then record a complete album. During 1991, having not secured a recording deal, the band decided to attempt a tour of Holland rather than record new material. Murray and Murphy felt that the band should concentrate on writing and recording more songs, as the best means of securing a deal, so they decided to leave. Rab Beggs did tour with Winter in Holland but left after a few gigs and later formed rock groups Mr. Jinx and Native Sun with Phil Murray.

A new version of Winter, still with Loyer and Lennie, formed a new version of the band in London and the EP was remastered and released on CD by SI Music, and to this day is still an album I play regularly. Then, one day when I was perusing the web I discovered that Phil Murray had added keyboard parts that were missing from the original recording, and was making the EP available again. Of course I was soon in touch, and I am now listening to the 'new' version. I have to confess and say that it is almost impossible for me to write anything constructive about this. I saw the later line-up in concert three times, and right from the first I was blown away by the sheer onstage presence of Johnny combined with some of the most wonderful and powerful neo-prog I ever had the pleasure to witness. "Toybox" is just one of the greatest prog epics never to have been heard by many, and I wish for the day when someone discovers this lost gem and restores it to it's rightful place as one of the top in the prog canon. I know this album so very well indeed, that initially I found Phil's keyboards quite jarring as they weren't what I was used to, but the more I played this the more I fell in love with what he had done to the music. Bear in mind he hasn't actually added anything, but rather has replaced something that was missing from something that was never expected to be the finished article.

Many of the 'lost' bands of the Nineties have had their music reissued on CD, and I can only hope that the same fate befalls Winter as to my mind they were a band that had incredible potential and really should have been known by many more progheads. Maybe Phil would consider getting this pressed alongside the tracks that appeared on singles and tapes (it was the Nineties after all), or maybe adding some live recordings?

Sheer quality from start to finish, it is now possible to stream this from the website so if you are at all intrigued as to why I am creating so much fuss why not visit www.winteronline.co.uk and listen for yourself.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#56954) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 18, 2005

3 stars WINTER are a MARILLION influenced band with an excellent guitarist who recalls Alex Lifeson at times. These guys are from Belfast, Northern Ireland and you can hear the accent in the singers voice. Please read Kruger's review in regards to the lineup controversy.

"Technocracy" opens with a cool guitar melody as drums come in and build. Vocals are next. They are strong and on the deeper side. Keys come and go. Amazing Lifeson-like guitar solo after 2 1/2 minutes. Great uptempo opener. "The Betrayal Of Reason" sounds like an eighties tune because of the vocal style and synths. This is my least favourite track, although it ends really well thanks to the guitar work of Rabb Beggs. "Close Your Eyes" is very much MARILLION influenced. After an uptempo intro with prominant drums and synths, the song settles right down with vocals, synths, and acoustic guitar. When it calms down it sounds so good. The album title is a line in the chorus. Some grinding guitar after 3 minutes turns into a killer solo. The tempo picks up before 4 minutes. Some theatrical vocals later. The best song so far.

"Evengate" is a short ballad of piano and fragile vocals. Quite touching actually. "Toybox" is almost 9 minutes long and is my favourite song on here. After a short atmospheric intro, pounding drums and a full sound arrive a minute in. Some strong vocals in this uptempo, catchy track. It calms down like in the intro 4 minutes in with FISH-like vocals. The song is building before 5 minutes. It calms back down a minute later. Check out the blazing guitar solo to follow. I always find it kind of cool when a band names a song after themselves. "Winter" is the only instrumental track on the album, and it's one of the better songs on here. After a tasteful intro we get a full sound including soaring guitar before a minute. Some more lightspeed playing by Beggs on guitar that simply goes on and on as drums pound away. Just an incredible display of guitar work.

If your a Neo-Prog fan try to track this one down. A solid 3 stars. I'm surprised this is their only recording, these guys were really good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#158549) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 13, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Technocrazy

Winter is an obscure Neo-Prog band from Northern Ireland that was formed in 1987 and disbanded already in 1991 after only one official release. Across The Circle's Edge - which according to the band's official website is an EP, but according to Prog Archives is a full length studio album - was released on vinyl in 1990 and then two years later on CD. Additional keyboard parts have since been added to the recordings, but as I have never heard the original releases, I cannot say with certainty if this was an improvement or not, but I strongly suspect it was. All six tracks can now be streamed for free on the band's website and the same website states that the album will be available for download on iTunes shortly. It remains unclear if there are any plans for the band to get back together, but it is fair to say that if it wasn't for the Internet people like me would never have heard of the band. It is all thanks to "technocracy", maybe?

The just over 30 minutes of good music featured on Across The Circle's Edge is very much rooted in the sound of the (early) 80's British Neo-Prog scene. While the very good vocals are certainly more than a bit Fish-like (but also reminding me of Ric Ocasek of the American New Wave band The Cars, for some reason!), the overall sound reminds me more of Pallas (especially The Sentinel) than of Marillion. The music is dark, theatrical, "futuristic" (from the perspective of the 1980's, at least) and occasionally almost metallic, but at the same time strongly melodic and even slightly poppy at times. The song Toybox reminds strongly of the Australian Neo-Prog band Aragon's excellent Rocking Horse piece (the song even contains the words 'rocking horse').

The production is not perfect (neither was Pallas' The Sentinel), but the songs are all good and engaging and the instruments and vocals sound very good. Across The Circle's Edge is a promising and enjoying recording and it would indeed have been interesting to hear more from this unknown band. One idea would perhaps be to re-record these old songs and add another handful of new songs to create a proper full length album according to today's requirements of running length and production? In an age where lots of old bands unexpectedly resurface, nothing can be deemed an impossibility anymore I guess.

Certainly a worthy listen for any Neo-Prog fan

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#466332) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars This was an Irish group from Newtownards, found in 1987 by Johnny Lennie on vocals (also responsible for Winter's lyrics), Andy Ryan on guitar, Richard Loyer on bass, Tim Wilson on drums with Phil Murray helping out on keyboard parts.They recorded a self-titled demo cassette in 1988, before heading for the ''Across the circle's edge'' vinyl EP.This was recorded at Level One Studios in their hometown, originally released in 1990 and re-released two years later on CD by the Dutch label SI.

At a time when IQ had turned to Prog-Pop and Marillion somewhat struggled to find a particular style for their new singer Steve Hogarth, Winter played old-fashioned, underground and rough Neo Prog in the vein of COMEDY OF ERRORS, TWELFTH NIGHT and TRILOGY.Despite the obvious influences from the best British acts of the 80's, there is definitely some RUSH vibes in their music, which is a bit more raw than the more symphonic-oriented first steps of IQ.Well-composed, dynamic and energetic, this EP should be a favorite of anyone after the style.Attacking, edgy guitrar leads and solos, flashy keyboard lines and a gifted singer, who becomes theatrical when needed.There are also some beautiful, lyrical moments in the album in the vein of early MARILLION, passing through atmospheric textures with melody and deep emotions becoming the group's priorities.But its bulk is characterized by impressive guitar work, supported by well-played, angular synthesizers and a dash of orchestral colors in the process.The balance between instrumental and vocal parts is kept at a good level and the compositions are led by the passion of the music and the singer.

One track of the album, ''Close your eyes'', was included in the SI ''Progressive & Melodic Rock Vol. 1'' compilation from 1993, while Winter released also a 2-track demo around the same time, before fading in shadows.

Released in 1990 but sounding more like an early-80's album, ''Across the circle's edge'' presents the emphatic, rough side of Neo Prog, respecting the principles set up by RUSH and GENESIS in the 70's.Warmly recommended.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#1193226) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 15, 2014

4 stars totally agree with Krugers comments on Circles Edge . He obviously knows his stuff in relation to the REAL story behind both Winter, and the recording of the original vinyl album and the subsequent re- master in. Holland. All the material was produced and recorded by Beggs, Lennie, Loyer, Murp ... (read more)

Report this review (#166044) | Posted by Viv Aldi | Tuesday, April 08, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars WINTER now has a web site - http://www.winteronline.co.uk By way of putting the record straight! As a close friend of the band, back in the 1990s - let me tell you the REAL story of Irish rock band - WINTER. The music you hear in this excellent CD is infact simply a re-master of the original ... (read more)

Report this review (#160142) | Posted by kruger | Tuesday, January 29, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of WINTER "Across The Circle's Edge"