ACROSS THE CIRCLE'S EDGE

- Tim Wilson / drums

With:
- Phil Murray / keyboards

1990: Self-released on vinyl
1992: Re-released on CD with alternate cover - SI Music Records Simply Seventeen
2012: Re-released via iTunes, Amazon and other digital media outlets with additional keyboards parts.

Thanks to erik neuteboom for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

WINTER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy WINTER Across The Circle's Edge Music

GASOLIN- Sadan, Live 2-LP (NEW & SEALED 2010) 1976 Winter Tour Concerts US $11.35 Buy It Now 52m 52s
WINTER VACATION JAPAN CD 3200yen 32DH SEIKO MATSUDA 1ST US $39.99 Buy It Now 53m 54s
Tarja - My Winter Storm [CD New] US $14.87 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Jazz On A Winter's Day [CD New] US $35.14 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Johnny Winter Eric Burdon - Fillmore West Original Concert Poster Jul 1969 BG180 US $316.71 [0 bids]
WINTER CHILL OUT LOUNGE - NEW CD US $11.59 Buy It Now 1h 18m
BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS-AND WHEN I DIE/SOMETIMES IN WINTER-45 RPM 7" US $6.93 Buy It Now 1h 19m
Tarja - My Winter Storm music CD US $3.23 [0 bids]
POINT OF GRACE - Winter - Christian Music Christmas CD US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Gillespie, Dizzy, The Winter in Lisbon Audio CD US $6.11 Buy It Now 1h 29m
OST 'WINTER EQUINOX' US IMPORT SOUNDTRACK LP DENNIS DRAGON US $21.10 Buy It Now 1h 32m
BILL ORTIZ - WINTER IN AMERICA [EP] - NEW CD US $4.67 Buy It Now 1h 35m
CD NOVAK PIANO MUSIC KVAPIL WINTER NIGHTS SONGS SONATA EROICA SLOVAK SUITE ETC US $12.98 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Love Nation - winter collection - Japan CD J-POP US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Dick Bray(7" Vinyl P/S)Winter Is A Woman-Hyland-HR 1336-USA-VG/NM US $14.60 Buy It Now 1h 54m
David Essex(7" Vinyl P/S)A Winter's Tale-Mercury-MER 127-UK-VG+/Ex US $9.73 Buy It Now 1h 54m
JOHNNY WINTER The Essential 2CD BRAND NEW Best Of Blues Rock US $11.32 Buy It Now 2h
WIZZARD - 70's Sheet Music -ROCK'N' ROLL WINTER US $22.74 Buy It Now 2h
Drowning The Light - Diabolical Winter Spells 10"MLP,new,Lim.666 US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Edgar Winter Group They Only Come out at Night 1972 1E 1st press, Steam Clean US $19.50 Buy It Now 2h 9m
A Winter's Solstice V, Winter's Solstice V, Very Good US $2.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Snowfall: Tony Bennett Christmas Album [My Favorite Things,Winter Wonderland++] US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Paul Winter Consort - Icarus - Nice LP US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
The Winter Consort - Something in the Wind - Very nice VG+ LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
3 INCHES OF BLOOD Battlecry Under A Winter Sun UK 11tk promo CD US $7.31 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Live Bootleg Series, Vol. 2 by Johnny Winter *New CD* US $11.42 Buy It Now 2h 39m
EDGAR WINTER queen of my dreams JAPAN 7" PROMO ECPB-288 US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 46m
JOHNNY MERCER & PIED PIPERS A GAL IN CALICO & WINTER WONDERLAND 78 CAPITAL 316 US $8.79 Buy It Now 2h 47m
WELLINGTONS - HEADING NORTH FOR THE WINTER * - NEW CD US $10.51 Buy It Now 2h 59m
THE EDGAR WINTER GROUP 'WITH RICK DERRINGER' CANADIAN IMPORT LP US $12.98 Buy It Now 3h
THE EDGAR WINTER GROUP 'EDGAR WINTER'S WHITE TRASH' US IMPORT LP US $12.98 Buy It Now 3h
THE EDGAR WINTER 'EDGAR WINTER GROUP SHOCK TREATMENT' US IMPORT LP US $14.60 Buy It Now 3h
COMUS: 'DIANA/IN THE LOST QUEEN'S EYES/WINTER IS A COLOURED BIRD' MAXI SINGLE US $86.08 [4 bids]
Winter Rose-Four Worlds CD NEW US $18.08 Buy It Now 3h 4m
ISUNGSET TERJE - WINTER SONGS - ALLICE1006 US $22.10 Buy It Now 3h 7m
SPARKS LARRY - THE COLDEST PART OF WINTER - REBCD1786 US $19.54 Buy It Now 3h 9m
ALMEIDA KIRSTY - WINTER SONGS - AMUP0003 US $20.63 Buy It Now 3h 9m
MOXHAM STUART - SIX WINTER MORNINGS - HABITCD006 US $11.84 Buy It Now 3h 9m
DEEP DARK WOODS - WINTER HOURS - BHMCD52 US $14.42 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Cinderella - Long Cold Winter (CD, Jul-1988, Mercury) 834612-2 US $6.49 Buy It Now 3h 9m
DEVILDRIVER - WINTER KILLS - NPR491LTD US $24.52 Buy It Now 3h 12m
THE EDGAR WINTER GROUP With Rick Derringer NM PROMO WLP Blue Sky PZ-33798 US $19.95 Buy It Now 3h 12m
WINTER JOHNNY - THE PROGRESSIVE BLUES EXP - RVCD316 US $26.36 Buy It Now 3h 14m
CINDERELLA "LAST MILE" / "LONG COLD WINTER" 7" 45 W/ JUKEBOX TITLE STRIP US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
RARE Winter Jam Tour Concert 2007 CD Britt Nicole Newsong Jeremy Camp US $12.00 [0 bids]
WINTER / CONSORTIUM CLASSICUM / KLOCKER - SEPTETT / QUARTETT / OKTETT NEW CD US $29.10 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Engelbert Humperdinck Take My Heart/ Winter World of Love 1967 UK DECCA 45rpm 7" US $21.01 Buy It Now 3h 29m
TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHE - TALES OF WINTER: SELECTIONS FROM THE TSO ROCK - NEW CD US $20.46 Buy It Now 3h 31m
STING: On a Winter's Night US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 33m
JOHNNY WINTER ORIGINAL CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 38m
SECRET GARDEN-WINTER POEM CD NEW US $16.86 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Maggie MacNeal- Winter In Berlin 7" US $17.87 Buy It Now 3h 51m
EDGAR WINTER GROUP, FREE RIDE/CATCHING UP 1972 7" VINYL SINGLE EPIC EX++ US $6.50 [1 bids]
CD DOUBLE ALBUM Various Artists - Hed Kandi (Winter Chill US $1.62 [0 bids]
Tamaki Nami Winter Ballads NEW US $9.99 [0 bids]
White Hot Blues - Johnny Winter New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $13.64 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Edgar Winter's White Trash US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
VENETIAN SNARES "Winter In The Belly of A Snake" CD aphex twin squarepusher US $12.99 [0 bids]
Johnny Winter - Step Back [Vinyl New] **BRAND NEW** US $21.99 Buy It Now 4h 19m
They Only Come Out at Night by Edgar Winter/The Edgar Winter Group (CD,... US $4.00 [0 bids]
Winter [#1] [Maxi Single] [Digipak] by Tori Amos (CD, Nov-1992, Atlantic... US $4.00 [0 bids]
HAGOOD HARDY[PIANO]: THE CHRISTMAS ALBUM[CD]Winter Wonderland,Joy To The World++ US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 29m
JOHNNY WINTER - RAISIN' CAIN - NEW CD US $31.28 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Skids(7" Vinyl P/S Gatefold)Women In Winter-Virgin-VSK 101-UK-VG-/VG+ US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 39m
EDGAR WINTER GROUP They Only Come Out At Night CD 1972 Free Ride, Frankenstein US $3.99 [0 bids]
Tchaikovsky - Winter Dreams / Little Russian / Polish - Mercury SR 2-9015 Vinyl US $64.97 Buy It Now 4h 41m
VARIOUS DECCA74699 WILD WILD WINTER M- ST $50.00 US $50.00 Buy It Now 4h 49m
CD Canyon A Celebration Of The Grand Canyon Paul Winter 10 Songs Released 1985 US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Set of 2 Enya Celtic CD Albums A Day Without Rain And Winter Came World Music US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Yaz - Don't Go / Winter Kills - SIRE RECORDS ORIGINAL PRESSING US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Grieves ?- Winter & The Wolves 2 x LP NEW Sealed Rhymesayers Blue Color Vinyl US $8.10 [0 bids]
Grieves - Winter & the Wolves CD NEW & Sealed Rhymesayers Slug Atmosphere B. Lew US $8.10 [0 bids]
Tex Williams 78 RPM Record "The winter song/Crocodile Tears" US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Edgar Winter ~ Edgar Winter's White Trash ~ US LP Original Press US $20.00 Buy It Now 5h 5m
SKIDS Women In Winter UK 7" in comic book sleeve Virgin VSK101 1980 Ex+ US $9.73 Buy It Now 5h 6m
60s Jazz PAUL WINTER SEXTET Jazz On Campus NM! CS-8864 360 ORIG EB170 US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Apples in Winter LP (Onyx, 197?) private press folk VG US $11.99 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Playlist - Winter Warmers - Outkast, Obi, Ilya, Cribs, The Orb - music cd album US $12.91 Buy It Now 5h 15m
A Winter's Solstice, Vol. 3 by Various Artists (CD, Sep-2003, Windham Hill Recor US $4.00 [0 bids]
ROCK KARAOKE WINTER 2005 cd+G Green Day/Simple Plan/Jimmy Eat World/Crossfade US $11.00 Buy It Now 5h 19m
TOHOSHINKI TVXQ Winter Rose Limited Edition CD DVD cd188 US $18.99 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Johnny Winter - Step Back (2014) - New - Compact Disc US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 27m
TANYA TUCKER What Child Is This? / Winter Wonderland LIBERTY RECORDS NEW 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
ISAAC HAYES The Mistletoe & Me / Winter Snow ENTERPRISE RECORD used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 31m
DAVE KOZ deck the halls / memories of a winter's night NEW OLD STOCK 45 US $24.00 Buy It Now 5h 34m
HOYT AXTON Lion In The Winter / Flo's Yellow Rose ELEKTRA used 45 US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Peaceful Piano: Winter Collection - Lucia Timmerman New & Sealed CD MOD Free Shi US $24.04 Buy It Now 5h 35m
NEW - Winter Wonderland by Various Artists US $1.50 Buy It Now 5h 37m
SRMEIXNER/RLW - JUST LIKE A FLOWER WHEN WINTER BEGINS [DIGIPAK] * - NEW CD US $15.66 Buy It Now 5h 40m
BRITTEN, BENJAMIN - BRITTEN: SERENADE FOR TENOR, HORN & STRINGS; WINTER - NEW CD US $14.80 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Drum & And Bass Arena Winter Selection 2013 - Various Artists (NEW 2 x CD) US $16.63 Buy It Now 5h 43m
CD SOUNDTRACK Light Up The Land Salt Lake City Utah 2002 Winter Olympics USA US $4.99 [0 bids]
Betty Everett: Just Another Winter / Sugar [Unplayed] US $10.97 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Zz/Various Artists - Winter Wonderland (1998) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.24 Buy It Now 5h 59m
EDGAR WINTER GROUP, They Only Come Out At Night LP US $11.95 Buy It Now 6h
CINDERELLA "LONG COLD WINTER" CD / USED US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h
Edgar Winter - The Better Deal - 250145 US $9.97 Buy It Now 6h 6m
FOLKVANG - SIX STORIES WITHOUT KEYS - WINTER004 US $16.97 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Winter Solstice on Ice by Various Artists (CD, Sep-2003, 2 Discs, Windham Hil... US $6.00 Buy It Now 6h 11m
Do Make Say Think - Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn - CST025CD US $14.84 Buy It Now 6h 12m

More places to buy WINTER music online Buy WINTER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for WINTER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

WINTER Across The Circle's Edge ratings distribution

WINTER Across The Circle's Edge reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
3 stars This CD is nostalgia for me! In the early Nineties I started to work for the Dutch progrock paper SI Magazine. The owner founded the label SI Music that had (too) strong connections with SI Magazine, eventually this led to their downfall. One of the pros of working for SI Magazine was the fact that you got every SI Music release for free. Those releases were not always my cup of tea (understatement for 'crap'!) but this release still belongs to one of my favorite ones. The six strong compositions (running time 30.23) have obvious echoes from mid-Rush and early Marillion but the dynamics and variety are great, the singer has powerful and expression, the keyboards are tasteful and the guitarist delivers a killer-tribute to Alex Lifeson with many spectacular soli!

Check out E-Bay for this small gem if you don't have a problem with exciting Marillion/Rush wannabees.

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#45075) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars This is a review of the latest version of the EP, with the additional keyboards

In 1987, Winter came together as a band in Newtownards, Co. Down, with Johnny Lennie (vocals & lyrics), Rab Beggs (electric/acoustic guitars), Phil Murray (keyboards/additional vocals), Rick Loyer (bass guitar) and John Murphy (drums/percussion). They released this EP on vinyl on their own label in 1990, but what may not be known by many is that it was always just intended to be a demo (because of that there are occasional little timing issues or blips in there in one of 2 places) and the idea was that by using this they would be able to secure a recording deal and then record a complete album. During 1991, having not secured a recording deal, the band decided to attempt a tour of Holland rather than record new material. Murray and Murphy felt that the band should concentrate on writing and recording more songs, as the best means of securing a deal, so they decided to leave. Rab Beggs did tour with Winter in Holland but left after a few gigs and later formed rock groups Mr. Jinx and Native Sun with Phil Murray.

A new version of Winter, still with Loyer and Lennie, formed a new version of the band in London and the EP was remastered and released on CD by SI Music, and to this day is still an album I play regularly. Then, one day when I was perusing the web I discovered that Phil Murray had added keyboard parts that were missing from the original recording, and was making the EP available again. Of course I was soon in touch, and I am now listening to the 'new' version. I have to confess and say that it is almost impossible for me to write anything constructive about this. I saw the later line-up in concert three times, and right from the first I was blown away by the sheer onstage presence of Johnny combined with some of the most wonderful and powerful neo-prog I ever had the pleasure to witness. "Toybox" is just one of the greatest prog epics never to have been heard by many, and I wish for the day when someone discovers this lost gem and restores it to it's rightful place as one of the top in the prog canon. I know this album so very well indeed, that initially I found Phil's keyboards quite jarring as they weren't what I was used to, but the more I played this the more I fell in love with what he had done to the music. Bear in mind he hasn't actually added anything, but rather has replaced something that was missing from something that was never expected to be the finished article.

Many of the 'lost' bands of the Nineties have had their music reissued on CD, and I can only hope that the same fate befalls Winter as to my mind they were a band that had incredible potential and really should have been known by many more progheads. Maybe Phil would consider getting this pressed alongside the tracks that appeared on singles and tapes (it was the Nineties after all), or maybe adding some live recordings?

Sheer quality from start to finish, it is now possible to stream this from the website so if you are at all intrigued as to why I am creating so much fuss why not visit www.winteronline.co.uk and listen for yourself.

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#56954) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 18, 2005

3 stars WINTER are a MARILLION influenced band with an excellent guitarist who recalls Alex Lifeson at times. These guys are from Belfast, Northern Ireland and you can hear the accent in the singers voice. Please read Kruger's review in regards to the lineup controversy.

"Technocracy" opens with a cool guitar melody as drums come in and build. Vocals are next. They are strong and on the deeper side. Keys come and go. Amazing Lifeson-like guitar solo after 2 1/2 minutes. Great uptempo opener. "The Betrayal Of Reason" sounds like an eighties tune because of the vocal style and synths. This is my least favourite track, although it ends really well thanks to the guitar work of Rabb Beggs. "Close Your Eyes" is very much MARILLION influenced. After an uptempo intro with prominant drums and synths, the song settles right down with vocals, synths, and acoustic guitar. When it calms down it sounds so good. The album title is a line in the chorus. Some grinding guitar after 3 minutes turns into a killer solo. The tempo picks up before 4 minutes. Some theatrical vocals later. The best song so far.

"Evengate" is a short ballad of piano and fragile vocals. Quite touching actually. "Toybox" is almost 9 minutes long and is my favourite song on here. After a short atmospheric intro, pounding drums and a full sound arrive a minute in. Some strong vocals in this uptempo, catchy track. It calms down like in the intro 4 minutes in with FISH-like vocals. The song is building before 5 minutes. It calms back down a minute later. Check out the blazing guitar solo to follow. I always find it kind of cool when a band names a song after themselves. "Winter" is the only instrumental track on the album, and it's one of the better songs on here. After a tasteful intro we get a full sound including soaring guitar before a minute. Some more lightspeed playing by Beggs on guitar that simply goes on and on as drums pound away. Just an incredible display of guitar work.

If your a Neo-Prog fan try to track this one down. A solid 3 stars. I'm surprised this is their only recording, these guys were really good.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#158549) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 13, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Technocrazy

Winter is an obscure Neo-Prog band from Northern Ireland that was formed in 1987 and disbanded already in 1991 after only one official release. Across The Circle's Edge - which according to the band's official website is an EP, but according to Prog Archives is a full length studio album - was released on vinyl in 1990 and then two years later on CD. Additional keyboard parts have since been added to the recordings, but as I have never heard the original releases, I cannot say with certainty if this was an improvement or not, but I strongly suspect it was. All six tracks can now be streamed for free on the band's website and the same website states that the album will be available for download on iTunes shortly. It remains unclear if there are any plans for the band to get back together, but it is fair to say that if it wasn't for the Internet people like me would never have heard of the band. It is all thanks to "technocracy", maybe?

The just over 30 minutes of good music featured on Across The Circle's Edge is very much rooted in the sound of the (early) 80's British Neo-Prog scene. While the very good vocals are certainly more than a bit Fish-like (but also reminding me of Ric Ocasek of the American New Wave band The Cars, for some reason!), the overall sound reminds me more of Pallas (especially The Sentinel) than of Marillion. The music is dark, theatrical, "futuristic" (from the perspective of the 1980's, at least) and occasionally almost metallic, but at the same time strongly melodic and even slightly poppy at times. The song Toybox reminds strongly of the Australian Neo-Prog band Aragon's excellent Rocking Horse piece (the song even contains the words 'rocking horse').

The production is not perfect (neither was Pallas' The Sentinel), but the songs are all good and engaging and the instruments and vocals sound very good. Across The Circle's Edge is a promising and enjoying recording and it would indeed have been interesting to hear more from this unknown band. One idea would perhaps be to re-record these old songs and add another handful of new songs to create a proper full length album according to today's requirements of running length and production? In an age where lots of old bands unexpectedly resurface, nothing can be deemed an impossibility anymore I guess.

Certainly a worthy listen for any Neo-Prog fan

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#466332) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars This was an Irish group from Newtownards, found in 1987 by Johnny Lennie on vocals (also responsible for Winter's lyrics), Andy Ryan on guitar, Richard Loyer on bass, Tim Wilson on drums with Phil Murray helping out on keyboard parts.They recorded a self-titled demo cassette in 1988, before heading for the ''Across the circle's edge'' vinyl EP.This was recorded at Level One Studios in their hometown, originally released in 1990 and re-released two years later on CD by the Dutch label SI.

At a time when IQ had turned to Prog-Pop and Marillion somewhat struggled to find a particular style for their new singer Steve Hogarth, Winter played old-fashioned, underground and rough Neo Prog in the vein of COMEDY OF ERRORS, TWELFTH NIGHT and TRILOGY.Despite the obvious influences from the best British acts of the 80's, there is definitely some RUSH vibes in their music, which is a bit more raw than the more symphonic-oriented first steps of IQ.Well-composed, dynamic and energetic, this EP should be a favorite of anyone after the style.Attacking, edgy guitrar leads and solos, flashy keyboard lines and a gifted singer, who becomes theatrical when needed.There are also some beautiful, lyrical moments in the album in the vein of early MARILLION, passing through atmospheric textures with melody and deep emotions becoming the group's priorities.But its bulk is characterized by impressive guitar work, supported by well-played, angular synthesizers and a dash of orchestral colors in the process.The balance between instrumental and vocal parts is kept at a good level and the compositions are led by the passion of the music and the singer.

One track of the album, ''Close your eyes'', was included in the SI ''Progressive & Melodic Rock Vol. 1'' compilation from 1993, while Winter released also a 2-track demo around the same time, before fading in shadows.

Released in 1990 but sounding more like an early-80's album, ''Across the circle's edge'' presents the emphatic, rough side of Neo Prog, respecting the principles set up by RUSH and GENESIS in the 70's.Warmly recommended.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#1193226) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 15, 2014

4 stars totally agree with Krugers comments on Circles Edge . He obviously knows his stuff in relation to the REAL story behind both Winter, and the recording of the original vinyl album and the subsequent re- master in. Holland. All the material was produced and recorded by Beggs, Lennie, Loyer, Murp ... (read more)

Report this review (#166044) | Posted by Viv Aldi | Tuesday, April 08, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars WINTER now has a web site - http://www.winteronline.co.uk By way of putting the record straight! As a close friend of the band, back in the 1990s - let me tell you the REAL story of Irish rock band - WINTER. The music you hear in this excellent CD is infact simply a re-master of the original ... (read more)

Report this review (#160142) | Posted by kruger | Tuesday, January 29, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of WINTER "Across The Circle's Edge"