CONCERTO FOR GROUP AND ORCHESTRA

Deep Purple Concerto for Group and Orchestra album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy DEEP PURPLE Music
Live, released in 1969

1. First Movement: Moderato - Allegro (19:21)
2. Second Movement: Andante (19:11)
3. Third Movement: Vivace - Presto (13:08)

Additional tracks on CD release (placed before the Concerto)
4. Wring That Neck (13:12)
5. Child In Time (12:02)

In 2002 this record was released as a two cd set with the following track listing:

Disc 1 (band only):
1. Intro (radio clips) (3:27)
2. Hush (4:40)
3. Wring That Neck (13:23)
4. Child In Time (12:02)

Disc 2: Concerto:
1. First Movement: Moderato - Allegro (19:21)
2. Second Movement: Andante (19:11)
3. Third Movement: Vivace - Presto (13:08)
4. Encore: Third Movement: Vivace - Presto (part) (5:52)

Search DEEP PURPLE Concerto for Group and Orchestra lyrics

Search DEEP PURPLE Concerto for Group and Orchestra tabs

- Ritchie Blackmore / lead guitar
- Ian Gillan / lead vocals
- Jon Lord / organ, keyboards, backing vocals, [string/woodwind arrangements]
- Ian Paice / drums, percussions
- Roger Glover / bass, backing vocals

Deep Purple recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall with the Royal Philharmonic
Orchestra. The LP was released by Harvest (UK)Tetragrammaton (USA) in 1969.
EMI promo vinyl PSR-325 released in 1970 has edited highlights from the concert.

Thanks to momomo for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

DEEP PURPLE MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEEP PURPLE Concerto for Group and Orchestra Music

Rhino Flashback 2008
In Rock: Anniversary EditionIn Rock: Anniversary Edition
Import · Remastered
EMI 1995
In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)In Concert '72 (2012 Remix)
Rhino/Parlophone 2014
Made in JapanMade in Japan
Warner Bros / Wea 1990
Hard Road: The Mark 1 Studio Recordings '1968-69'Hard Road: The Mark 1 Studio Recordings '1968-69'
Imports 2014
Graz 1974Graz 1974
Imports 2014
BurnBurn
Rhino 2005
Japan Import DEEP PURPLE FIREBALL w/Tracking US $27.88 Buy It Now 35m 22s
Deep Purple - Live LP Obi Japan Promo Heavy Metal Rare US $99.99 Buy It Now 37m 50s
Deep Purple - Burn LP Japan Promo Heavy Metal Mega Rare US $99.99 Buy It Now 41m 59s
DEEP PURPLE Might Just Take Your Life MISPRINT COVER ERROR 7/45 ANGOLA EX US $188.10 [3 bids]
46m 22s
TOMMY BOLIN Teaser 1975 USA VINYL LP EXCELLENT CONDITION BL 37534 Deep Purple US $41.60 Buy It Now 48m 6s
DEEP PURPLE Made In Japan Remastered Deluxe 2x CD 2014 NEW & SEALED US $24.89 Buy It Now 48m 45s
SCORPIONS foundations sampler USA CD anthrax clutch geore lynch deep purple US $5.00 [0 bids]
53m 59s
Deep Purple Made In Japan Deluxe 9x LP 180g Vinyl Box Set DL NEW US $239.99 Buy It Now 54m 28s
Art Tatum 78rpm Decca #2456 Deep Purple US $9.99 [0 bids]
54m 44s
Alice Cooper Deep Purple Edgar Winter Jefferson Airplane -qty 5- 8 track set US $4.49 [0 bids]
57m 25s
When We Rock, We Rock & When We Roll, We Roll by Deep Purple (CD,warner brothers US $10.00 [0 bids]
59m 4s
Deep Purple Slaves and Masters Cassette Tape New Sealed US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
DEEP PURPLE sheet music ,WORDS BY MITCHELL PARISH,MUSIC BY PETER DE ROSE US $16.65 Buy It Now 1h 7m
This Time Around: Live in Tokyo '75 by Deep Purple (CD, Oct-2009, 2 Discs, AFM ( US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
DEEP PURPLE Fireball CD Classic 1971 Mk II Line-Up Album US $2.49 [0 bids]
Deep Purple LP Japan Only Cover Hard Rock Warner Bros FCPA 1034 w/ lyric sheet US $52.50 Buy It Now 1h 30m
The Yardbirds - For Your Love / Deep Purple - Hush / 7" 45 - VG+ US $4.00 [0 bids]
When We Rock, We Rock And When We Roll, We Roll Deep Purple US $5.00 [0 bids]
Friend Of Mine Rock Giants CD w/Deep Purple ELO Nazareth Ten Years After Angel US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Ian Gillian Band - Scarabus CD Deep Purple Spitfire label RARE OOP US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h
JACKIE GLEASON LP "Best" 196? {Capitol} NM More~Ipanema~Deep Purple~Days Of Wine US $11.95 Buy It Now 2h 2m
MR. BIG Superfantastic WINERY DOGS SHEEHAN KOTZEN RARE OOP JAPAN DEEP PURPLE US $34.99 [0 bids]
En Directo : Rare Live Spanish 3 CD - Deep Purple ELO Ramones Talking Heads US $21.56 Buy It Now 2h 9m
DEEP PURPLE DEEPEST PURPLE 1980 HARVEST EMTV 25 A-2 / B-3 EXCELLENT+ CONDITION US $19.96 Buy It Now 2h 15m
DEEP PURPLE - STORMBRINGER - LP Platinum Disc US $199.75 Buy It Now 2h 17m
DEEP PURPLE Made In Europe P-10262 NM! Japan OBI EB645 US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 18m
DEEP PURPLE - HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT (IMPORT) NEW CD US $41.35 Buy It Now 2h 22m
DEEP PURPLE - ON THE WINGS OF A RUSSIAN FOXBAT - NEW CD BOXSET US $26.57 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Deep Purple "No Smoke in Stockholm" Live 1991 2cd Japan Rainbow Joe Lynn Turner US $59.00 [0 bids]
Rainbow "Firecracker" Live 1978 1cd/1cdr/2cdr Japan's release Deep Purple Dio US $59.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Dreams - Lammers,Paula New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.49 Buy It Now 2h 38m
DEEP PURPLE "HUSH"/"ONE MORE RAINY DAY" 45rpm-TETAGRAMMATON RECORDS US $0.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Audio Fidelity Collection 24 K. Gold 4 CD Box Great Sound Quality US $199.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
DEEP PURPLE - Black Night & Speed King - Turkey & Turkish Edition PS 7" US $50.00 Buy It Now 2h 48m
Deep Purple Machine Head Picture Disc LP Rare With Poster IMPORT US $69.99 [0 bids]
Concerto for Group and Orchestra by Deep Purple (CD, Jul-1990, Emi) US $9.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE**SHADES OF DEEP PURPLE**VINYL US $19.95 Buy It Now 3h 10m
DEEP PURPLE BILLY WARD AND HIS DOMINOES 1957 LONDON LABEL HL-U 8502 HLU8502 US $24.97 [0 bids]
CSJ-823 The Book of Taliesyn DEEP PURPLE Taiwan Import Record Kentucky Woman US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 16m
Deep Purple Perfect Strangers US $3.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - The Platinum Collection NEW 3 x CD US $15.19 Buy It Now 3h 21m
LARRY CLINTON & ORCH. VINYL 45, "DEEP PURPLE" US $0.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE PERKS AND TIT US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 41m
DEEP PURPLE IN CONCERT 1970/1972 JAPAN 2CD wOBI 2800yen US $49.99 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Original 1968 Deep Purple The Book Of Taliesysn LP Album Vinyl Record T-107 US $53.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
45 RPM Record DEEP PURPLE BY NINO TEMPO & APRIL STEVENS US $8.00 Buy It Now 3h 55m
LP DEEP PURPLE Fireball EU, EX+/MINT- US $17.53 [8 bids]
Deep Purple - Made In Europe [Vinyl New] US $29.98 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Ian Gillan / Roger Glover (Deep Purple) - Accidentally On Purpose CD - 1988 US $5.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE Slaves And Masters Digipak CD With 3 Bonus Tracks NEW US $14.90 Buy It Now 4h 10m
DEEP PURPLE When We Rock, We Rock And When We Roll, We Roll PROMO Greatest Hits US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Earl Bostic 78 "Smoke Rings/Deep Purple" King 4674 US $11.00 [0 bids]
Don Byas All Star Quintet 78 "Deep Purple/Them There Eyes" Jamboree 903 US $11.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE COME TASTE THE BAND PROMO GREEK DIGIPAK CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Ian Gillan Band: Live at Budokan Vol. 1 & 2 UK 2xLP, Deep Purple US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 23m
Deep Purple - Total Rock Review [2006] [DVD], Very Good DVD, , US $3.65 Buy It Now 4h 27m
DEEP PURPLE SHADES TETRAGRAMMATON RECORDS T-102 STEREO US $6.89 [7 bids]
DEEP PURPLE AND THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA WARNER BROS RECORDS 1860 US $4.25 [5 bids]
Deep Purple "Fireball" LP US $4.00 [1 bids]
Deep Purple, Extended Versions, The Encore Collection. Live CD. BMG, 2000 US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Deep Purple : Machine Head Vinyl VG+ LP Record F US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Vintage Rock LP Vinyl Album Deep Purple Steppenwolf Kinks US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
DEEP PURPLE live in london 1982-RARE UK FIRST PRESS -HARVEST LAB -EX+ US $11.64 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Who do We Think We Are original mint French Purple Recs 1973 US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Deep Purple - Concerto For Group And Orchestra NEW 2CD US $15.06 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Deep Purple Stormbringer mint original German Purple records beautiful US $39.99 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Billy Ward And His Dominoes Deep Purple/Do It Again LB-769 45 RPM Vinyl US $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 6m
DEEP PURPLE - STORMBRINGER - BRAND NEW SEALED MINI LP CD - SHIPS FROM NEW YORK US $16.98 Buy It Now 5h 11m
DEEP PURPLE strange kind of woman/i'm alone HAR 5033 uk harvest 1971 7" WS EX/ US $11.97 Buy It Now 5h 11m
DEEP PURPLE - EXTENDED VERSIONS, VOL. 2 - NEW CD US $4.97 Buy It Now 5h 23m
DEEP PURPLE ORIGINAL 1970 UK LP DEEP PURPLE IN ROCK NO E.M.I. LOGO US $83.21 Buy It Now 5h 24m
? Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers (Mercury 824 003) (with "Mean Streak") US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
8 Track Tape Stereo DEEP PURPLE Who Do We Think We Are US $5.00 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Smoke on the Water & Other Hits CD Woman From Tokyo Fireball Burn US $5.99 [0 bids]
~ DEEP PURPLE - PERFECT STRANGERS ~ MUSIC CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
DEEP PURPLE Come Taste The Band CD Warner Bros WEA Japan 1975 20P2-2610 RARE/OOP US $34.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
Bing Crosby 78 RPM Record "Star Dust/Deep Purple" US $18.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
DEEP PURPLE HUSH 45 MOD FREAKBEAT CLASSIC HAMMOND ORGAN US $16.99 Buy It Now 5h 46m
Deepest Purple - Deep Purple (CD 1989) US $9.77 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Deep Purple Phoenix Rising Blu Ray Rock Music Video Brand NEW Sealed US $36.60 Buy It Now 5h 51m
Deep Purple - Machine Head (cassette) US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
DEEP PURPLE Into The Fire / Black Night 45 Warner Brothers 7405 (1970) RARE US $4.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple Stormbringer vinyl LP original inner sleeve promo Warner Brothers US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
DEEP PURPLE Fireball / I'm Alone 45 Warner Brothers 7528 (1971) VG+ US Jukebox US $4.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE -Powerhouse TURKISH PRESSING LP US $50.00 Buy It Now 6h 4m
Deep Purple Album Record Lot Burn Made in Japan Who Do We Think We Are Vinyl US $14.99 [0 bids]
Alice Cooper,Deep Purple,Toto,Jethro Tull,Sweet,Billy Idol +More- SEALED U.S. cd US $9.72 Buy It Now 6h 15m
Appetizers 2Lp Set w Van Morrison / T.Rex / Deep Purple/ Bert Jansch / Faces US $4.99 [0 bids]
Deep Purple - Collection [EMI] (1997) US $4.16 Buy It Now 6h 17m
THE FROST . FROST MUSIC LP DEEP PURPLE RAINBOW HENDRIX CREAM ACDC ALICE COOPER US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE FROST . THROUGH THE EYES OF LOVE LP DEEP PURPLE NUGENT KISS ALICE COOPER MC5 US $19.99 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE LP, Deep Purple (TETRAGRAMMATON US Issue NM/NM) US $23.14 Buy It Now 6h 27m
DEEP PURPLE LP, House Of Blue Light (POLYGRAM US Issue NM/NM) US $21.47 Buy It Now 6h 28m
DEEP PURPLE LP, Shades Of Deep Purple (TETRAGRAMMATON US Issue NM/NM) US $24.80 Buy It Now 6h 28m
DEEP PURPLE LP, The Book Of Taliesyn (TETRAGRAMMATON US Issue NM/NM) US $23.14 Buy It Now 6h 28m
DEEP PURPLE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA / JAPAN TOSHIBA ORIGINAL US $199.99 Buy It Now 6h 30m
VG+ BILLY WARD DEEP PURPLE/STARDUST 45 RPM LIBERTY 54505 US $4.98 Buy It Now 6h 38m
Deep Purple Who Do We Think We Are LP 73 Prog Rock Purple 2C 064-94 140 vg+/vg++ US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 38m
RAINBOW ON STAGE 2-LPS NM COPY DEEP PURPLE DIO US $22.00 Buy It Now 6h 40m
DEEP PURPLE 45 RPM "Hush" & "One More Rainy Day" G+ Condition US $3.99 Buy It Now 6h 42m

More places to buy DEEP PURPLE music online Buy DEEP PURPLE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEEP PURPLE DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEEP PURPLE Concerto for Group and Orchestra ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(24%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(36%)

DEEP PURPLE Concerto for Group and Orchestra reviews

Review by Zitro
3 stars 3.5 Stars

One of the best album of the progressive phase of Deep Purple, and one I recommend for a progressive rock collection.

Why?

This album contains 5 songs ... all exceed 10 minutes and 4 are symphonic epics (3 containing an orchestra). Wring that neck is from the previous album "Book of Taliesyn", but this version is much better and more virtuosic ... you hear all the musicians shine, especially Jon Lord on the hammond organ. Child In Time is from 'In Rock' album but this album is released earlier, so this is the original version of the song. The arrangements are extremely simple, but the song's buildup is nevertheless amazing and very powerful. Those growing screams are the essence of the song. The extended guitar solo is excellent too, a masterpiece (but I prefer the studio version since the sound mix and quality is better on it). The last three songs are all good symphonic epics with strong classical influences:

First Movement begins with string arrangement and eventually leads into a hard rock territory in which the whole band participates. IT is instrumental.

Second Movement follows the vein of the first movement. This one is somewhat mellower in parts and more experimental, It is somewhat flawed and parts lose my interest like If I am hearing Tales of Topographic Oceans.

Third Movement is very good because it is the most dynamic of the pieces and the band and orchestra blend well (yet, don't expect it to bend as well as magnification-Yes and Journey to The Center of The Earth). Instrumental.

While they are quite good, I feel like the rock instruments and the orchestra don't bend that well together.

1. First Movement: Moderato - Allegro (7/10) 2. Second Movement: Andante (5/10) 3. Third Movement: Vivace - Presto (6.5/10) 4. Wring That Neck (8/10) 5. Child In Time (10/10

My Grade : C/D

Send comments to Zitro (BETA) | Report this review (#46939) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 17, 2005

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars I think this review will get some heat among progheads , but we have here a disaster at hand! Actually I was never fond of those groups seeking recognition of higher arts by playing to an orchestra as if rock was to gain nobility from this fact.

The Nice had already done this , and IMHO , they were never convincing! When The Moody Blues tried it on Days Of Future Past , they were actually fairly succesful (but hardly entirely either)! When Procol and Caravan will try it themselves , they will have more success of it (but Caravan's New Symphonia sounds cruelly under-rehearsed), mostly because they reworked their songs to include the Orchestra, so the task was quite different.

Actually what baffled me most is that the liner notes on the inside gatefold sleeves gives all the reasons why this record was a failure. And truely the writing job was insufficient , consisting of the band answering to the orchestra (or was it fighting!!). If John Lord had done a tremendous job of writing the centerpiece of the April suite in the previous album, writing for a full orchestra is something completely different, having so many musicians to write for. Obviously , the cooperation was not full and some orchestra members had contempt treating Purple as "Third Rate Beatles".

Hardly worth the investigation , but yet another piece in favor of the proto-prog or not debate! As for the two bonus tracks presented above , I have never heard them under that particular version.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#47653) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars I liked this musical production very much! It's the most artistic musical effort that DEEP PURPLE ever did, so if one should promote this band on this kind of progressive website, this is the album to be promoted. The musical texture and melodies of the classical parts resemble lot's of the music done by young JEAN SIBELIUS, so if you like this music, check out the "Concerto for violin and orchestra in d-minor" by J.S., I believe you would like it. Here the classic and rock music segments emerge first separately, and they slowly fuse then together. There's not very much singed parts, which is sad as the second calm part with IAN GILLAN is the best part of the music. I would also note, that if you are going to buy "Concerto for Group and Orchestra", consider carefully which version you do want to get. There's so many versions moving around, with tracks which the band played before the main feature, with the classic concerto by the conductor, and as a DVD with a film capture from the concert.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#49615) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 01, 2005

Review by Chicapah
2 stars As an aspiring rock guitarist in the late 60s I had such high hopes when I found this in the record bin and couldn't wait to be floored when I got it onto the turntable at home. For years I had yearned to hear a collaboration between rock and symphonic/orchestral music and this was the first attempt I had come across. Another reviewer has pointed out that the Nice had already breached this particular chasm but I wasn't aware of that band at that time.

Unfortunately, it was a bomb. The true mix of genres didn't happen at all. It was like someone was saying "Okay, now the band plays" and then "Okay, now the orchestra takes a turn" and back and forth like that throughout the LP. It was a dreadful disappointment even to my naiive and idealistic ears. There seemed to be no attempt to meld or adapt either medium, just musicians playing what they were told to play.

But the good news was that they tried and for that I give them an E for effort. It took some serious cajones to even attempt this project live on stage and in the Royal Albert Hall, at that. And maybe this was one of the many reasons the wonderful, earthquaking, restriction- shattering Mellotron was developed. And we all know what that did for Progressive rock.

More of a curious footnote to the developing grand scheme of things at the end of that glorious decade of musical experimentation than any kind of a true classic, it still has to be judged on its own merits and, in that regard, I have to give it a low grade.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#69717) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, February 17, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars I received this album under its cassette version somewhere in June 72. At that time it was the basic version which featured the three movements only. Each one contains a solo work from Paice, Lord and Blackmore. Those were the only moments I could cope with this record. My experience with the Purple in those days was chronologially the single "Black Night" and their albums "Fireball" and "Machine Head". I spinned the last one quite extensively for a few weeks before hearing this classical / rock combination work from Jon Lord which I could never, ever enter into. So, these classic numbers were quite a shock and cannot be compared with a standard Purple album. It is the first album of the Mark II era, and the first to chart in the UK (Nr. 26).

The remastered and extended version provides a bonus CD with "Hush"," Wring That Neck" and "Child In Time". Gilan and Glover have just joined the band. Their live performances in these early times of Mark II era will still be influenced by some Mark I tracks and will be quite expanded ("Wring That Neck" and "Mandrake Root"). The highlight on this bonus CD is of course "Child In Time". It must be one of their earliest live version for it and Gilan is really fanstastic in the vocals. This version is by far superioir to the one on "Made In Japan". Ritchie outrageous guitar solo is also one of the greatest hard rock experience you can expect. Fabulous. The "Hush" version also shows that Gilan is from another caliber than Rod Evans. You should only buy this one if you can get hold on the double CD version unless you can stand classical music which is not my case. For the very good bonus CD, I will rate this one three stars (only one star for the original vinyl album).

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#105146) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 01, 2007

Review by Seyo
2 stars Although on the surface "Concerto..." sounds like the most progressive rock album by DEEP PURPLE, things are not quite good.

After three interesting but comercially flawed early proto-prog/psychedelic albums, they (or rather: Jon Lord as the leader at the time) decided to go symphonic. And, as it usually happens in similar cases of mere ambition, they failed simply because this "symphonic rock" is not what we all know by that term as a sub-genre of Prog (GENESIS, YES...). You don't make rock progress by simply adding the Royal Philharmonic or any other orchestra for that matter. Progressive rock is not necessarily the inclusion of the influnces and musical ideas borrowed from Classical symphonic music of the XIX century. Or not only that. Otherwise it becomes a pathetically indulgent piece of work where the rockers are urged to show their musicianship and composing skills in a rather bombastic and pompose way.

The performance of "Concerto" is quite fair and decent, but what's the point? Orchestral parts and all that "movement" structure is pretty boring, Blackmore's and Paice's solo parts save the material a bit and remind you that this is after all a rock band. Jon Lord probably wanted to present himself as a "serious" composer and arranger in front of the academically trained musicians but he did not succeed.

After this album, the band changed direction and got a fame as a premier hard rock/heavy metal act which was to influence hordes of headbangers to come, so this effort with orchestra remains largely of interest for the historians of early prog rock and for devoted fans of DEEP PURPLE who must own everything that bears the band's name.

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#125304) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2007

Review by clarke2001
3 stars Two concerti: one for group, one for orchestra.

Both are patchworks. The question is how successful (from the artistic point of view) these patchworks are.

Okay, the title is completely wrong. Concerto is a piece composed for a soloing instrument and orchestra. This is only my cynical intention to draw attention to the fact that both band and orchestra were not actually working well and homogeneous together. It was more like playing on turns. "Wring That Neck" and "Child In Time" are not a concerto by no means - however they are absolutely out of place here. The first one is an average Purple's bluesy tune, certainly not on a level of (intended) majestic atmosphere of a concerto. "Child In Time" is alright, but far from the best live version. If we take into the consideration the over-discussed fact about plagiarism of another band, then these two rock tunes are certainly just a patchwork of ideas that was suitable enough to fill the fourth vinyl side in.

As far as the Concerto goes, it's not a real concerto neither, since concerti are written for one soloing instrument (rarely two) and orchestra; we can talk about rock band as an one-piece entity (and a very versatile instrument too) but this happened only in traces. Lord respected the traditional structures and forms (three movements), and his writing skills are sometimes lovely, sometimes interesting, sometimes ingenious, sometimes plain boring.

To know why this Concerto was recorded at first place we should probably enter into the Lord's head and see what was he thinking at the time: he introduced new members of the band, wanted more advanced approach to the music, and was inclining towards classical repertoire. It was 1969 and rock music was music was moving towards the symphonic sphere rapidly - but even in the right moment, the record was not really a coherent statement, more a semi-failure and historical curiosity rather than a staple. Some critics were labeling DEEP PURPLE as the "traitors of the rock 'n' roll" after the premiere, however nobody characterised THE NICE in that way. Or other bands at the time: KING CRIMSON, THE MOODY BLUES and PROCOL HARUM.

Why? I guess because it is inconsistent. On a plain surface, some moments in Concerto are brilliant, Lord were using not only major and minor scales, the main theme in the first movement is both catchy and intelligent, second movement is dramatic, third one is furious. I think I've found traces of Stravinsky somewhere there, but that's not the problem.

The bands sounds too dry on a recording; that's not a problem with orchestra of course, but lacking the "beef" in the sound of the rock band, the record in its entirety already lost half of the possible appeal. The other thing is, they were playing on turns: eight bars of orchestra - eight bars of the band. Lord's songwriting saw light of a day too soon; it certainly lacks a lot of polishing. Raw drumming is out of place, Blackmore's anxiety too. Gillan's voice on Second Movement is sweet, and the lyrics are intentionally neutral - they can be interpreted both from a lenses of love as well as religion; that part was fine, although a bit tacky. Lord's Hammond is not on the same level as orchestral parts - it's majestic, expressive, powerful, but not both complex and beautiful as orchestrations. Since the whole Concerto was his baby, we can only wonder whether it is due to his technical inability as a organist, or his intention while writing a piece to emphasize the contrast between a rock band and classical orchestra. If the first one is the case, we will forgive him. If it's the second case, then that's a pure arrogance and nothing else. Arrogance and self-indulgence shouldn't be here - and here's why:

Nobody expected Emerson or Wakeman on Hammond here, they would be both out of place (in my opinion), on the other hand Ken Hensley (because of his raw power) would be out of place too. The only organist that fits here is Lord himself - with his amount of classical influence and furious rock approach - but he simply doesn't fit perfectly. Which means that the whole peace should have been rewritten - or to put it simply - it's weak.

Too bad. This record could have been a masterpiece if only a) Lord had polished his piece long enough b) waited for another parameters to happen, and for audience's preferences to become more inclined towards progressiveness and c) if he had written Concertino For Group and Orchestra.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#128332) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 13, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Concerto for group OR orchestra

Contrary to many people's perception, the first album released by the classic mark 2 line up of Deep Purple was not "In Rock", but this live recording. Very much a Jon Lord project, this was one of several attempts around this time (1969) to bring together a rock group and an orchestra. The bands concerned went about it in different ways, with Procol Harum simply orchestrating existing material, the Moody Blues creating essentially a symphonic pop album while The Nice made a rock album with orchestral support.

Lord decided to attempt to write something which was essentially classical, but with digressions into rock from time to time. He had been working on the project for many years, an indication of the way he was thinking coming on the final track "April" on the band's third (self titled) album. When Lord finally managed to get the go ahead, he had just three months to compose the score ready for the planned event at the Royal Albert Hall (RAH) in London. Incidentally, the score was subsequently lost, being painstakingly re-created by a fan many years later, but that's another story.

The gig at the RAH took place on 24th September 1969. The first part of the performance was a recital by the orchestra alone of a symphony written by their conductor Malcolm Arnold. There then followed a band performance of three of their songs, with the concerto occupying the latter part of the evening. Only the actual concerto appeared on the original LP release. This was partially rectified on the 1990 CD version, when two of the three band tracks were added to the start of the CD. These are a 13 minute version of "Wring that neck", a song originally recorded by the mark 1 line up prior to the arrival of Gillan and Glover, and "Child in time" which had then yet to appear on a studio album. The other song was "Hush" by the way.

"Wring that neck" is effectively a vehicle to allow the band to loosen up through a guitar and organ based jam. The version of "Child in time" here lacks the refinement of the subsequent studio recording, but in some ways that is what makes it alluring. That said, this is pretty much the finished product here.

The Concerto is divided into 3 lengthy parts running to just under an hour, with the titles of the "Movements" using classical terms such as Allegro, Andante and Vivace-presto to emphasise the ambitions of the composition. Overall, it is a powerful piece, which tends to fall into the trap which catches many aspiring rock/classical composers of relying to heavily on the percussion, especially timpani.

The second section is the most accessible and the softest. The strings are the most dominant overall in this movement, while Gillan adds some regal vocals. The final section is marred by an unnecessary drum solo which completely destroys the "Concerto" notion. This part of the movement is an indulgence pure and simple and should never have made it into the composition. Thankfully, the rest of the band and orchestra are soon back from their comfort break, and things continue as before.

The main criticism which can be levelled at the concerto is that it largely fails in its objective. Group and orchestra do not really work together at all, with one or the other taking centre stage at any given time. This leads to rather jarring contrasts between the two styles, which in turn makes for a rather disjointed feel. I have seen it said that this was deliberate on the part of Lord, who wanted to demonstrate through the three movements how the two opposites (band and orchestra) start of apart, but move together as the piece progresses. While the intention is undoubtedly noble, whether it works is open to debate.

All that aside though, this album is further evidence of the prog credentials of this fine band.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#145221) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars When I first listened to this album long time ago in the 70s, I could not believe that Deep Purple played this kind of music that was hard to understand. First of all, I was not quite familiar with classical music. Secondly, I could not understand Deep Purple played it this way. But with the familiarization of Rick Wakeman's "Six Wives of Henry VIII" finally I got attuned with this "rock meets classic" marriage and I started to really enjoy it. The toughest parts for me were the segments where the music is so silent and I could not bear with it. But the more I played it, the more I got used to it.

This album was the representation of Deep Purple music when they were not so sure about their music direction. It was Jon Lord who drove this project and made it for an album for Deep Purple. It has always good when I say a particular band tries the new music horizon they never been before because by doing so, it can be seen how the individual member of the band contributes the music skills.

Overall, this is quite enjoyable for those of you who have been familiar with classical music. This can also be good for those who enjoy "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#154574) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 07, 2007

Review by tarkus1980
2 stars Enter lead vocalist Ian Gillan and bassist Roger Glover ... who are basically wasted on this album. Though this technically is the debut album of Mk. 2, it feels more like the worst possible culmination of Mk. 1. The thing is, I actually really like well-done classical music; I'm not as familiar with its nooks and crannies as I am with some genres of rock, but I've accumulated a good amount from a number of composers (favorites are Beethoven, Bartok and Stravinsky), and there are several classical pieces I absolutely love. But I don't think of this as classical; it's just prog rock with a heavier dose than normal of "pure" orchestration. Kinda like "April," but stretched out and made as crappy as possible.

The Concerto itself, which makes up the last two thirds of the album, is ridiculous. The "classical" portions are mediocre movie soundtrack quality at best; I guess the same thing could be said about the orchestrations on Days of Future Passed, an album I love, but those orchestrations existed to augment the moods of the actual songs and provide segues. The orchestrations here are meant to be treated as crucial portions of large-scale composition, and they're just not interesting enough to work that way. Parts go loud, parts go soft, and above all parts go nowhere. And the portions where the band joins in, gah ... There's an ok song buried inside the second movement (though the thought of Ian Gillan being forced to sing pretentious, meaningless prog lyrics is one I find bothersome; aren't lyrics like this anathema to Ian's purpose of existence?), but the rest is a bunch of alarmingly uninteresting group jamming interspersed with what sounds like Blackmore playing warmups. No thanks.

Oh, and did I mention that the central feature of the third movement is a drum solo? Did I also mention that the "encore" involves the band and orchestra going through the section with the drum solo a second time? Sheesh ...

The thing that redeems this album, at least slightly, is that the expanded version includes the band's opening set, sans orchestra, which is actually pretty decent. The opening performance of "Hush" is flat out great, with Gillan putting more gusto into his vocals than Evans did, and the band is super tight. "Wring that Neck" and "Child in Time" aren't done at their very best, as the band doesn't yet have the telepathic chemistry that would make the band so amazing within a couple of years, but they're decent enough, at least if your wank- tolerance is at a reasonable level.

Still, that's not a ringing endorsement, is it. That ** is awfully close a *, and should be regarded accordingly. At least the band didn't make this sort of thing its primary focus in the future ...

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#287584) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 20, 2010

4 stars This is a special album. It deserves respect! By 1969, no rock band could play at the Royal Albert Hall. Deep Purple was the hand opening the door. Furthermore, many members of the orchestra were not into "non-classic music". Malcolm Arnold was an open-minded influence to all. Ok, but, what ab ... (read more)

Report this review (#882794) | Posted by H. Siedler | Thursday, December 27, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I had listened to this record in my teenage years, but never payed it much intention. Lately, I found a vinyl copy of this record with only the three movements on it. In the main while I became influenced for several years by progressive influences and became more open- minded to classical musi ... (read more)

Report this review (#753448) | Posted by the philosopher | Tuesday, May 15, 2012 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a fabulously interesting examp0le of progressive rock for a couple of reasons. 1. No one knew it was progressive rock. 2. No one knew if it was orchestral (classical) or rock. PO fans didn't care and rock fans were there. Lucky beggars. Rock is (I think) music of youth, freedom from r ... (read more)

Report this review (#558218) | Posted by uduwudu | Friday, October 28, 2011 | Review Permanlink

2 stars What's the point of marrying classic music with rock ? ELP, The Nice and other symphonic prog bands has married classic music and rock with great success. But they all did it on their own terms. What Deep Purple has done, read John Lord, is to try marrying fire with water on this album. Besi ... (read more)

Report this review (#295587) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Saturday, August 21, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Concerto for Group after Orchestra. I liked this album from the start and my opinion hasn't changed. Even after all this years I find the music on this record quite entertaining. The only point of critique I can make - and which has been voiced by other reviewers here - is the fact that group ... (read more)

Report this review (#165839) | Posted by strayfromatlantis | Sunday, April 06, 2008 | Review Permanlink

1 stars This Deep Purple release is horrifing, it is fruit of Jon Lord's great desire to write music for an orchestra, and to mix classical music with Deep Purple sound: and the result is simply an awful alternation of deep purple improvs and classical pieces without a logical sense in it; the worst asp ... (read more)

Report this review (#138241) | Posted by Malve87 | Friday, September 14, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Spinal Tap could not have come up with a more ridiculous sounding project and the results is mostly as you would expect ridiculous. I remember well when this record was new, I bought it home full of eager anticipation for the "progressive music" it most certainly must contain. Well it was disa ... (read more)

Report this review (#96454) | Posted by burgersoft777 | Wednesday, November 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars ROCK MUSIC IS MANIFESTLY IN THE WRONG ZONE WHEN SET BESIDE A SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA --Frank ZappaAlthough the quotation above is undoubtedly true, it didn't stop Zappa from meeting the challenges that arise when one tries to integrate amplified rock music with an acoustic orchestra. Many have t ... (read more)

Report this review (#88141) | Posted by The Mentalist | Thursday, August 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars 3.9 ACTUALLY this might be called "deep purple plays Jon lord's ideas" as all the orchestral tracks were composed by him, with collaboration of Ian Gillan's lyrics on second movement. this is not the bes combination of classical music and rock. but it's a nice attempt. the songs are pleasa ... (read more)

Report this review (#79193) | Posted by Progressive! | Wednesday, May 24, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Reviewing such thing as a concert, somehow preserved for future listeners with the technology available under the circumstances, is more or less a no-no. But let us stick to the music. In the beginning there was the concerto grosso. Then came the solo concert.We have double concertos, and t ... (read more)

Report this review (#50716) | Posted by | Saturday, October 08, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I've always had a soft spot for Deep Purple's Concerto since it was the first rock vinyl LP I owned. When I listen to it nowadays it always brings back memories of studying for my Physics Higher Grade exam when I was in Secondary school. I listened to it a lot back then. This may not mean a lot ... (read more)

Report this review (#49725) | Posted by jimpetrie2000 | Sunday, October 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Composed and scored by the genius of Jon Lord I think this is one of the best results of cooperation beween a rock band and an orchestra. According with the intention of Jon Lord, while in the first movement there is not a really amalgam betwen the group and the orchestra and it's possible to h ... (read more)

Report this review (#48395) | Posted by | Sunday, September 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I wasn't that impressed with this album. It marks the arrival of lead singer Ian Gillan (the Screamer) and Roger Glover. This is more of Jon's experiment of blending classical with heavy metal rock. Not the best combination. The only highlight worth listening to is the Third Movement with ... (read more)

Report this review (#46718) | Posted by uriah561 | Thursday, September 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEEP PURPLE "Concerto for Group and Orchestra"