ALLIED FORCES

Triumph Allied Forces album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1981

1. Fool for Your Love (4:32)
2. Magic Power (4:55)
3. Air Raid (1:20)
4. Allied Forces (5:04)
5. Hot Time (In This City Tonight) (3:24)
6. Fight the Good Fight (6:31)
7. Ordinary Man (7:17)

- Rik Emmett / guitar, vocals
- Michael Levine / keyboards, bass
- G.L. Moore / drums, vocals

2004 CD TML #78005

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH Allied Forces Music

Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
TML Entertainment 2010
ClassicsClassics
Tml Entertainment 2007
Allied ForcesAllied Forces
Tml Entertainment 2004
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
Sport of KingsSport of Kings
Tml Entertainment 2005
Never SurrenderNever Surrender
A924 THE JACKSONS / TRIUMPH JAPAN CD 25.8P-5141 OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 36m 2s
Triumph - Progressions of Power -1980 Vinyl Lp. w/ Lyrics / Hard Prog. Rock AOR US $3.59 Buy It Now 37m 2s
xdeathstarx - Triumph (2004) US $11.69 Buy It Now 2h 18m
TRIUMPH / THUNDER SEVEN LP w/OBI Insert Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Triumph - Rock And Roll Machine (Music CD) US $28.38 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Triumph - Progressions Of Power (Music CD) US $28.38 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Triumph - Sport Of Kings The (Music CD) US $28.38 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Triumph - Never Surrender (Music CD) US $28.38 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Triumph - Surveillance (Music CD) US $28.38 Buy It Now 3h 29m
While Heaven Wept - Triumph Tragedy Transcendence (+DVD) (Music CD) US $42.43 Buy It Now 3h 29m
GODDESS OF DESIRE - Symbol of Triumph (CD) US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 38m
JACKSONS (US GROUP) triumph LP 9 track (32366) dutch epic 1980 US $8.35 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Triumph - Live At The Us Festival [CD New] US $12.96 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Progressions of Power by Triumph (Cassette, Jan-1986, MCA (USA)) US $3.75 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Varetta Dillard - Scorched / Good Gravy Baby - Triumph Demo 2nd US $16.72 Buy It Now 5h 33m
TONY MIDDLETON-'COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS' ON TRIUMPH 45-600 US $10.70 Buy It Now 5h 59m
* TRIUMPH THE INSULT COMIC DOG -Come Poop ...[PA]CD/DVD US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 13m
WARLOCK TRIUMPH & AGONY 1987 WEST GERMANY CD 1ST PRESS US $35.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Triumph - Edge Of Excess / TH Cassette US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
RIK EMMETT Ipso Facto JAPAN CD OBI TRIUMPH US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 43m
RIK EMMETT The Spiral Notebook JAPAN CD OBI TRIUMPH US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 55m
TRIUMPH STAGES 2 VINYL MASTERDISK VG+ HEAR IT US $14.00 Buy It Now 9h 12m
TRIUMPH I LIVE FOR THE WEEKEND 7" P/S UK US $8.36 Buy It Now 9h 27m
TRIUMPH HOLD ON (RED) 7" RED VINYL + P/S UK US $10.03 Buy It Now 9h 29m
TRIUMPH AMERICAN GIRLS 7" P/S UK US $8.36 Buy It Now 9h 36m
TRIUMPH ~ The Sport Of Kings ~ nm 12" vinyl LP with the original inner sleeve US $9.95 Buy It Now 9h 51m
Triumph Thunder Seven Vinyl LP Record Album -- Quiex II Limited Edition Pressing US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 17m
TRIUMPH OF THE SPIRIT (Eidelman) OOP 1989 Varese Soundtrack Score OST CD EX US $13.36 Buy It Now 10h 20m
* TRIUMPH - PROGRESSIONS OF POWER (MCA 1453) US $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 24m
Kult Ov Azazel - Triumph of Fire (2004) US $9.55 Buy It Now 11h 25m
TONY MIDDLETON: "COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS" - TRIUMPH 1959 45RPM PROMO US $2.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Manowar: The Triumph Of Steel CD 1992 Atlantic Records 7 82423-2 Original US $8.95 Buy It Now 11h 41m
JUDAS ISCARIOT tribute CD Triumph of Evil krieg leviathan xasthur nachymystium US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 42m
PAGAN HELLFIRE - On the Path to Triumph CD US $8.90 Buy It Now 11h 51m
Cataract - With Triumph Comes Loss (2004) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $11.22 Buy It Now 12h 24m
TRIUMPH ALLIED FORCES ORIGINAL 1981 LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 52m
THE HISS Triumph Limited 7 Inch Red Vinyl Single US $11.69 Buy It Now 12h 57m
A TRANSACORD RECORDING The Triumph Of An A4 Pacific +Insert ARGO 1963 US $16.71 Buy It Now 13h 7m
THE JACKSONS (w/MICHAEL JACKSON) "triumph" 1980 Holland 1st vinyl record LP *ex- US $10.00 Buy It Now 13h 54m
TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings CD 1986 MEGA RARE OOP ORIG 1st PRESS JAPAN-for-USA!!! US $24.99 Buy It Now 13h 56m
TRIUMPH ~ selftitled~ RCA INTERNATIONAL 5153 Canada pressing excellent condition US $19.79 Buy It Now 14h
Triumph/The Sport of Kings/Cassette/Canada/VG++ HEAR US $4.00 Buy It Now 14h
Never Surrender - Triumph (CD 1987) Original MCA Release Japan for U.S. NRMT US $24.95 Buy It Now 14h 23m
TRIUMPH STAGES 2 LP SET GATEFOLD COVER GERMANY IMPORT US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 38m
Triumph Stages CD New US $15.45 Buy It Now 15h 4m
JACKSON 5 MICHAEL JACKSON, TRIUMPH - LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 15h 11m
TRIUMPH, EDGE OF EXCESS, JAPAN, OBI, 1992, ORG, ¥2.500, VICP-5243, RARE! US $49.99 Buy It Now 15h 26m
NM 1979 Triumph Hold On 12" Single PROMO LP Album US $1.99 [0 bids]
Steve Colson And The Unity Troupe - Triumph! NEW LP US $23.46 Buy It Now 15h 54m
Sheila Walsh--Triumph In The Air 1984 XIAN CCM Vinyl LP - Columbia House Press US $10.50 Buy It Now 16h 7m
Triumph Rock & Roll Machine CD New US $15.45 Buy It Now 16h 25m
Triumph Progressions Of Power CD New US $15.30 Buy It Now 16h 25m
VARIOUS youth for christ songs of triumph and joy LP VG+ WST 8564 Vinyl Record US $7.20 Buy It Now 16h 46m
Down Time by Theo (CD, Aug-2000, 2 Discs, Triumph) US $1.49 Buy It Now 16h 50m
TRIUMPH - 2 LP LOT - ROCK & ROLL MACHINE #AFL1-2982 + ALLIED FORCES #AFL1-3902 US $3.99 [0 bids]
STEVE COLSON & UNITY: Triumph! LP (UK, reissue, limited edition) Jazz US $20.00 Buy It Now 17h 3m
TRIUMPH - Tears In The Rain 12" Promo Single US $9.00 Buy It Now 17h 4m
Triumph Sport Of Kings CD 1986 ORG USA DADC MCA MCAD-5786 JVC-540 CRC Club US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 9m
Triumph - A Sample of Triumph (RCA DJL1-3691) (Promo only) US $14.99 Buy It Now 17h 29m
Triumph RIK EMMETT Bang on 1992 USA MINT PROMO Radio DJ CD Single DPRO226 Rick US $34.99 Buy It Now 18h 2m
Triumph RIK EMMETT Saved By Love 1990 USA MINT PROMO Radio DJ CD Single PRCD048 US $34.99 Buy It Now 18h 2m
Surveillance by Triumph (CD, Sep-1995, TRC Distribution)Never Say Long Time Gone US $7.99 Buy It Now 18h 9m
Progressions of Power - Triumph New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $15.76 Buy It Now 18h 32m
Strikeforce Vol 1 CD Hard Rock / Metal DIO Triumph Accept Kix Megadeth Helix US $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 42m
The Church, Treat Her Right, Bodeans, Megadeth, Triumph - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $9.72 Buy It Now 19h 20m
APOTHEOSUS-THE FALL & THE TRIUMPH-CD-immortal-emperor US $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 30m
Surveillance by Triumph (CD, Jun-2005, TRC Distribution) US $4.99 Buy It Now 19h 48m
TRIUMPH: NEVER SURRENDER CASSETTE TAPE US $1.89 Buy It Now 20h 19m
TRIUMPH 4 LP LOT ALBUM VINYL COLLECTION Records Thunder Seven/Power/Machin/Game US $18.99 Buy It Now 20h 47m
Triumph-Thunder Seven-LP-Vinyl Record-OGSleeve-MCA-MCA5537-VG+ US $3.99 [0 bids]
Grade - Triumph & Tragedy - CD - NEW US $7.59 Buy It Now 22h 25m
Triumph - Allied Forces [ 33 rpm vinyl ] US $17.00 Buy It Now 22h 57m
The Triumph of Man 33-1/3 RPM New York World's Fair 1964-1965 US $2.25 [0 bids]
LEONARD BERNSTEIN NEW YORK PHILH. INTERNATIONAL TRIUMPH US $8.09 Buy It Now 1 day
Various Artists-1970's-Philips-DUTCH IMPORT-6XLP- "Triumph des Barock" US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
While Heaven Wept - Triumph Tragedy Transcendence CD US $19.81 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH CLASSICS 1989 JAPAN CD OBI 2348yen 22P2 1ST PRESS US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH * NEVER SURRENDER * LP HTF US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Abominant - Triumph Of The Kill [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH/IVAN PICAZO - Soyuz - 12" US $17.98 Buy It Now 1 day
GUSTAV ADOLF MERKEL - TRIUMPH AND TRIBULATION: EIN PORTRAIT DER - NEW CD US $15.89 Buy It Now 1 day
QRUJHUK Triumph of the Glorious Blasphemy CD Morbid Burzum Watain Goatmoon Horna US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph Of Love by Original Cast (CD, Oct-1998, Jay Records) US $2.50 [0 bids]
MOSTAR DIVING CLUB, The - Triumph Of Hope - CD US $20.14 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH AND TRIBULATION - ORGAN MUSIC - LISZT, ET AL / DEWAR - NEW CD US $15.89 Buy It Now 1 day
RHAPSODY OF FIRE -Triumph or Agony- '06, JAPAN OBI+Three Bonus Tracks US $3.90 [0 bids]
THE JACKSONS (Michael Jackson) Triumph CD Classic 1980 Album + Bonus Tracks US $2.49 [1 bids]
TRIUMPH MUSIC FOR ORGAN AND ORCHESTRA - JONGEN, ETC / HAUK - NEW CD US $16.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph-Rock & Roll Machine Canadian Silver Vinyl LP 1977 US $33.43 Buy It Now 1 day
RUSH - 2112 - Remaster CD - Remastered Power Trio Triumph April Wine Canada US $5.65 Buy It Now 1 day
THE QUILL In Triumph CD 2006 Retro Hard Rock US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH "SPELLBOUND" 45 PS US $4.49 [0 bids]
FRANZ LISZT ~ TASSO - LAMENT AND TRIUMPH / HUNGARIA ~ JANOS FERENCSIK VINYL LP US $13.36 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH Allied Forces (1981) 1985 original USA / JAPAN CD issue no barcode US $32.00 Buy It Now 1 day
An International Triumph~Leonard Bernstein~ Vinyl LP ~ ML-5445 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE TRIUMPH OF MAN NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR 45 VG++ (7" Record) Red Vinyl US $2.75 [0 bids]

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH Allied Forces ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(20%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(28%)

TRIUMPH Allied Forces reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars If it was not yet fully confirmed with the preceding album (well the title did warn us) , now we are in full metal flight with tracks like Fool For Your Love , Fight The Good Fight and the impressive Allied Forces (complete with its Air Raid intro) , but they managed to remain a radio-friendly touch bit at the expense of their personality and inventivity. Some tracks (Magic Power and Fight The Good Fight) can only please die-hard fans and there is also the now-) obligatory acoustic guitar piece Petite Etude. The RnR-esque Hot Time has some relatively bad recording, with the drums simply recorded too loud, but this is also valid for most of the album. Even their typical crescendo track (Ordinary man in this case) is sounding déjà-vu (or déjà-entendu in this case) and is downright boring and it is thankfully we Say Goodbye to this album..

Strangely enough this rather poor album will definitely break them into the more visible video-MTV terrain and ever more commercial success, but it was without me from this album on!!

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#51224) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Review by Raff
2 stars I used to like Triumph back in the '80s when this album was released. However, I don't really understand what their connection to prog might be. First of all, I think the only things they have in common with Rush are their home town and the trio format; though some have found similarities between the voices of Rik Emmett and Geddy Lee, who is in my opinion a far superior vocalist.

That said, "Allied Forces" is a more then adequate album, heavy enough to counteract the more evident radio-friendliness some songs (like the mediocre "Say Goodbye", which closes the record). The musicianship is also quite good, with a particular mention for guitarist Rik Emmett. It's a pity that some of the songs are almost indistinguishable from the production of countless other AOR bands, technically proficient but with little feeling. There are, though, a couple of excellent tracks, namely "Ordinary Man", with its acoustic introduction and slow buildup, and "Fight the Good Fight".

"Allied Forces" is a pleasant listen for those times when we can't take anything too complex and demanding, but nothing ground-breaking by any means. 2.5 stars, nothing more.

Send comments to Raff (BETA) | Report this review (#55799) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 10, 2005

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Well I decided if I'm going to keep grousing about Triumph wasting space on this site, I should go back and re-listen to some of their albums that I bought back in the early 80's. The first disclaimer is to explain WHY I own these albums, and my only excuse is that I drank heavily back then and my judgment wasn't so good. Meh.

That said, I popped Allied Forces on the turntable and played it through several times this week. This was the first time I've heard these songs in over twenty years, except for the occasional radio play in my car when I couldn't reach the dial fast enough to avoid them. The album is pretty much exactly the way I remember it - power chords, neanderthal lyrics, nothing to really distinguish them from dozens of other hair bands back then. The one thing I'd forgotten about was the liner concert photo where Mike Levine is gripping his bass and looking all the world like he's pleasuring himself. My friends and I got lots of laughs off that picture back then, and it's just as funny today!

The album starts off with "Fool For Your Love", which is about - well, a fool. There's nothing special in the music in this song. Stunning lyrics though - "your love is vicious, slightly malicious" and "I keep lettin' love get the better of me. My head is spinnin' honey - can't you see what I need". Now that's what I call a timeless classic!

I have to grudgingly admit that "Magic Power" still kinds of gets my toes tapping. I don't know if that's because of the memories it brings back from those days, or because it's actually a decent song, but either way the rhythm is solid, and it is a catchy tune. Here again though Emmett's ego kills what might have been an otherwise tolerable tune - "I'm young, I'm wild and I'm free; I got the magic power of the music in me", followed by the ever-present 'God's gift to women' refrain - "She's young, she's wild now, she wants to be free; she gets the magic power of the music from me". "the music's got the magic it's your one chance for escape; so turn me on - turn me up - it's your turn to dream". Thanks for gracing us all with your presence Rik.

"Allied Forces" was a kind of anthem for angry young suburban rednecks around 1981, the so-called "mobile allies", who were apparently "marching every night". In other words, rebels without a clue. This is a song that is apparently a call to arms for frustrated youth to take on the world and kick ass with guitars - the "Allied Forces of Rock and Roll". This was not what you'd call really progressive stuff in any era, ad particularly not in 1981. The Zeppelin riff rip-off toward the end is kind of interesting, I suppose.

If I remember right, "Hot Time (In This City Tonight)" was a modest hit single twenty- five years ago. I would imagine it was a concert staple as well (although hopefully not anymore - that would be almost as embarrassing as Mike Reno of Loverboy in his size 44 spandex doing "Little Girl" at the state fair!). Anyway, this one features that stunningly torrid lyric "rock me baby like a long lost friend, then roll me over and do it again"! I can't help but wonder if Emmett intended this one to be Triumph's equivalent of Lionel Ritchie's "Dance on the Ceiling", only with power chords.

One could assume the back side of this album would at least be no worse than the front, but that would be an incorrect assumption. The only upside is that Rik Emmett's Geddy Lee imitation is less off-key on the final three songs of the album.

"Fight the Good Fight" proved once again the low opinion that Triumph had of their fans' capacity for judging good music, with lyrics like "nothing is easy, nothing good is free. But I can tell you where to start - take a look inside your heart". Thanks for the pep talk..

I wonder if "Ordinary Man" was supposed to be Triumph's "Simple Man", or maybe more like their "Blue Collar Man". Dunno'. Either way, I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now. They do manage to incite their pubescent and liquored-up fans against politicians, the media, the legal system, preachers, teachers, pretty much every familiar authority symbol except parents (smart career move - there were a lot of parents on anti-rock witch hunts back then, and a bad rap from those scary b****es would have been a kiss of death on album sales for Triumph). So they get a point for being more business- savvy than Twisted Sister anyway. I guess the idea with "Ordinary Man" was to make sure there was a chip on any young man's shoulder who was in listening range and didn't already have a bad attitude. I'm sure they were more than a little successful.

The album ends (mercifully) with "Say Goodbye", a sentiment I heartily agreed with by this point. I may have been saying goodbye to the album, but Emmett was apparently telling his skanky girlfriend goodbye because she's some kind of head case. He does point out though that he's leaving "in the morning", I guess so he can squeeze one more off. The guy is a pragmatist, after all.

I have to be honest and say that I really didn't expect to come away from this 'rediscovery' of Triumph with some new-found appreciation for their progressive bent (or even for their "talent"). That said, these few listens did reaffirm my utter dislike for these guys and the tripe they call music. Look, I'm just as quick as anyone to ridicule pompous prog prima-donnas who look down on more mainstream music just because it's popular, or because it has a beat and you can dance to it. However, one doesn't have to be pretentious to quickly develop a dislike for this band - they simply need to have ears.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#75912) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 22, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars My only chief reason to consider listening to this album is, of course, "Fight The Good Fight" (track 6) which I consider one of good rock tracks during my school days. As far as rock music, Triumph is not bad at all. Their music is basically a straight hard rock music played by a trio band. In the case of Rush, the one who sings is bass player but for Triumph, it's the guitar player Rick Emmett. From the opening track "Fool for Your Love" (4:32) is clear enough to say the straight composition of Triumph. The music reminds me to the early 70s of classic rock with similar vein like Budgie. "Magic Power" (4:55) has a nice combination of guitar fills and keyboards and thin voice of Rick Emmett.

The album title track is also another good track from this album. But still the best track is "Fight The Good Fight" where it has nice intro - a combination of keyboard and guitar fills - followed with a blast of upbeat music that energizes your day, I believe . The interlude guitar fills work and solo, even though it's simple but it's nice.

Definitely, this is NOT a prog album and if you expect something prog, then you will be wrong. But as a rock album, you may collect this one. The only shortcoming for me is this album is quite boring when it's listened to in its entirety.Keep on rockin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#120973) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars Since I'm going the another Sweden Rock Festival in less than three month from now I decided to check out one of its more progressive attractions.

Of what I've heard on Prog Archives Triumph is suppose to be a follower of the movement that was originally started by Rush. Unfortunately that's not entirely true, since, in comparison to Rush, Triumph lacks the technical and lyrical skill. What we're left with here are some typical Arena Rock/Rock & Roll performances that has already been done to death by Journey, REO Speedwagon and Boston.

Luckily this album does feature some really great power ballads like Magic Power and Say Goodbye. On top of that 7 minute track titled Ordinary Man is a mini-suite with some light progressive style. So all in all it's a good Arena Rock album but don't expect much else.

Edit: It's been almost two years since I saw the band perform their reunion gig at Sweden Rock Festival and to tell you the truth they weren't all that spectacular. Although the band played the biggest stage (called Festival Stage) they really didn't handle it all that well and I personally think that the performance would have been enhanced if they played a more secluded stage. It was nice to hear Triumph perform Magic Power but other then that I can at least now understand why this band never achieved the status of their fellow-countrymen Rush.

**** star songs: Magic Power (4:55) Ordinary Man (7:17) Petite Etude (1:16) Say Goodbye (4:34)

*** star songs: Fool For Your Love (4:32) Air Raid (1:20) Allied Forces (5:04) Hot Time (In This City Tonight) (3:24) Fight The Good Fight (6:31)

Total Rating: 3,46

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#163768) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Review by snobb
2 stars Triumph is simplified Rush-clone with more AOR oriented sound. Many years ago I got their album "Progression Of Power", and in fact it wasn't so bad. More precisely - collection of good songs and very bad songs. But I have it till now, it is acceptable for listening.

"Allied Forces" is band's next album, and it got strong reviews in time of releasing. So, many years later I decided just to check once again , and purchaised that Triumph album. Disappointment!

Music became less complex and more straight AOR. In fact, radio oriented rock songs. Even previous album sounds much more better. No any connections with prog or even just good heavy rock.

I just missed any interest to Triumph after that album. Not recommended.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#245416) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Music for the ordinary man!

The Led Zeppelin-like Hard Rocker, Fool For Your Love, opens this album and sets the expectations for the rest of the album very low. While it surely gets better, it sadly never gets much better. Like all of Triumph's works, this is primarily a pretty straightforward Hard Rock album, but there are a few glimpses of a more sophisticated approach that sets Triumph apart from other similar bands. Apart from Air Raid, which is a short instrumental - or should I say mood setter? - that introduces the title track, the whole first half of the album is filled with these generic and wholly undemanding Hard Rock songs. The absolute low point of the album is the Rock 'N' Roll number Hot Time (In The City Tonight). The title itself gives it away, doesn't it? Like always with Triumph, the vocals and guitar work is strong. Sadly, they rarely put these talents to any good use.

The second half of the album has a few much better songs in Fight The Good Fight and Ordinary Man. Ironically it is Ordinary Man that is the least ordinary track on Allied Forces. These songs are more elaborated and save this album from being a total disaster. The latter is very much in the style of Styx (in their better moments!) and also reminds of an earlier Triumph song, Blinding Light Show, which is, in my opinion, Triumph's best song ever. It is songs like these that make Triumph relevant for a Prog audience.

Like on many other Triumph albums, there is a short, classically inspired, acoustic guitar piece by Rik Emmet. This time it is called Petite Etude and functions as a very nice interlude. What comes after it is, however, sadly another generic rocker that closes the album. Here the vocals evoke Steve Perry of Journey and the chorus in particular is very Journey like.

Allied Forces is hardly Triumph's best album despite a few good and even one great moment. Their next album, Never Surrender, is a far better album in my opinion (though, hardly great!).

For fans and collectors only this one!

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#247956) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Review by Chicapah
1 stars There's a talented, daring trio hailing from Canada that's been around since forever commenced, consistently making high-quality progressive rock & roll throughout their long career while accumulating a legion of die-hard fans along the way. And then there's Triumph. If you're an admirer of theirs and consider them to be a literal bastion of prog music then you might want to stop reading right now because you aren't going to like what I have to say about this album. I know very little about Triumph other than being vaguely familiar with one of their songs that garnered some FM airplay back in the 70s, "Lay It On the Line," and coming across their various LPs while rummaging around between Traffic and The Tubes in the record store bins of that era. No one I knew was into them or ever said anything pro or con about them so they flew under my radar. When I noticed that they were listed as qualifiers for this esteemed site it occurred to me that perhaps I missed out on hearing some decent prog by never paying them any attention. They wouldn't be the first band I've overlooked and even though the aforementioned radio tune never struck me as particularly proggy it didn't mean it wasn't an unrepresentative anomaly. I mean, it wouldn't be fair to judge Genesis' catalog of work by "Follow You, Follow Me" would it? I picked "Allied Forces" because I figured that by the time they recorded their fifth record they'd most likely have honed their craft to the point where they felt very comfortable in the studio environment and should be making some of their best music accordingly. To say I was disappointed is putting it way too mildly. There's absolutely no prog to be found on this disc. Not a speck. In fact, listening to it turned out to be like playing some kind of parlor game titled "Guess The Band They're Trying To Sound Like On This Cut!"

Any tune that sports the unimaginative, pedantic moniker of "Fool For Your Love" is hinting that it's not going to be something along the lines of a complex King Crimson number. This opening song is a case of bad Bad Company and my immediate reaction was that it was probably written on the road in a Podunk, Iowa motel room in about ten minutes tops. It's pedestrian, middle-of-the-road fare akin to what you've heard a thousand times before from as many groups. "Magic Power" is next and it's a blatant Journey imitation. It's about as authentic as a gold Rolex watch purchased on a street corner. I find nothing original whatsoever to report and I'm kinda surprised that they weren't sued for plagiarism. The short segue item that is "Air Raid" follows and it's so predictably patronizing as to be humorous. As the title implies, it comes complete with sirens wailing atop some general mayhem sound effects and ends with a metallic thud. "Allied Forces" mimics Deep Purple semi-accurately sans the intensity. By this juncture I can't help but think of those fancy golf courses they're building these days where every hole is intentionally designed to be a replica of one of the more famous ones on the PGA tour so that a middle-of-the-road player can get a second-rate taste of the real thing. Don't get me wrong, the musicianship I'm hearing is passable but it's nothing that you can't hear on any given Saturday night at your local biker bar. "Hot Time (In This City Tonight)" is as boring and unimaginative as the name implies. I guess they added the parentheses' because it looked cool or something. Here they ape any one of a half dozen Southern-styled boogie outfits that flourished in that timeframe by cranking their amps up to eleven and bellowing out some rhyming lines about how much crazy fun they're going to have while getting wasted with their bubbas. Holy crap this is so lame!

"Fight the Good Fight" proves that even Led Zeppelin wasn't immune from being ripped off by these desperate dudes. By the way, fellas, using a synthesizer doesn't make you progressive. On this cut it appears that singer Rik Emmett is trying to out-screech his northern territory rival, Geddy Lee. Ugh. "Ordinary Man" is counterfeit Styx, complete with big stacked vocal harmonies and a lot of low-brow political posturing crammed into the lyrics. This is so contrived and amateurish that it's embarrassing to listen to. Next is "Petite Etude." If there's a bright spot in this morass of mediocrity it's this little acoustic guitar piece that's the equivalent of a colorful toadstool growing out of a cow pie. It succeeds mainly due to bassist Mike Levino and drummer Gil Moore taking the day off and not being in the studio to screw it up. That's my guess, anyway. "Say Goodbye" is the last tune and I couldn't have put my sentiments more succinctly than the title does. The number is so generic that it defies identification as to whom they're trying to copy this time around. I'll put it this way. If you were to combine all the hair bands that were yet to come along in the 80s into a musical melting pot and have a song appear this is what it'd taste like. Bland to the point of being nausea-inducing. Considering that this record was released in 1981 it might be reasonable to blame Triumph for all the banal power ballads that inundated the industry for the rest of the decade. That might be stepping over the line of decency, though. That's a brutal accusation on my part so I take it back. You can decide for yourself as to who started that ball rolling.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, it could be that they started out as a progressive band in '75 but abandoned it long before they got around to recording "Allied Forces." In their defense they sold over a million copies of this album and it reached #23 on the LP chart so they no doubt filled a few arena seats because of it and, according to what I found on the web, they're still a working entity with a loyal following traipsing the state fair circuits. I have no beef with these boys per se but when they're put up on the Progarchives dartboard and labeled worthy of inclusion then they're also qualified to be shot at. My only goal is to warn proggers who, like me, might be tempted to check this disc out in hopes of discovering something intriguing that they should spend their time looking elsewhere. To think that a group can manufacture a hit song simply by imitating what others have achieved is folly but it sounds like Triumph was trying to do just that. This is as intentionally derivative as anything I've ever come across and I hope I never have to sit through it again. 0.5 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1087364) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 08, 2013

3 stars I just don't get people who balk at the comparisons to Rush. This album broke the same time as Rush's Moving Pictures, and there's a startling similarity between "Fight the Good Fight" and Rush tracks like "Freewill" and "Limelight." I mean that in the best possible sense. Just as many thought Re ... (read more)

Report this review (#1081017) | Posted by jude111 | Sunday, November 24, 2013 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Perhaps, this prog-site is no the place for Triumph albums. Triumph are an excellent heavy/melodic rock band, somewht similar to Night Ranger, Led Zeppelin and Van Halen. A perfct balance between partyrock and progressive rock, as shn on this album. Gil Moore and Rik Emmett switch vocals and M ... (read more)

Report this review (#910854) | Posted by Kingsnake | Thursday, February 07, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Wow. Laughing at all the haughty reviews on here; "pleasant listen for those times when we can't take anything too complex and demanding". I guess something as...easily digestible as a Triumph record is going to get a cold response on a progressive sight. Because, really, there's very little pr ... (read more)

Report this review (#766038) | Posted by MrMan2000 | Thursday, June 07, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars From a "progressive" perspective... What does this album give us? Nothing, but repetitive formulaic songs. There are reminiscence of Led Zeppelin... but more oriented to Metal joined to some AOR air... I don't know how Triumph is in this site. Don't get me wrong... this is a enjoyable album, i ... (read more)

Report this review (#63905) | Posted by Crimsoner | Monday, January 09, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars this album is amazing, all the songs on it rock in their own way, i listen to it all the time, and i dont see the comparison between triumph and rush either, the only things that make them similiar are where they're from, the number of band memebers and rik and geddy both have a high voice...o ... (read more)

Report this review (#58794) | Posted by rocknroll88 | Thursday, December 01, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Let me just start with the fact that I was a huge Triumph fan back in the day. Saw them twice in concert late 70's early 80's. Also Rik Emmett is and was a great talent. He could play with the best of them. I'm always perplexed by the comparison between these guys and Rush. The word Trio is the ... (read more)

Report this review (#49999) | Posted by | Tuesday, October 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "Allied Forces"