NEVER SURRENDER

Triumph Never Surrender album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Too Much Thinking (5:34)
2. A World of Fantasy (5:03)
3. A Minor Prelude (0:43)
4. All the Way (4:22)
5. Battle Cry (4:57)
6. Overture (Procession) (1:54)
7. Never Surrender (6:40)
8. When the Lights Go Down (5:03)
9. Writing on the Wall (3:34)
10. Epilogue (Resolution) (2:41)

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender lyrics

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender tabs

- Rik Emmett / synths, guitar, dobro, vocals
- Michael Levine / keys, bass
- Gil Moore / drums, vocals

2004 CD TRC #78006

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH Never Surrender Music

Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
TML Entertainment 2010
Allied ForcesAllied Forces
Thunder SevenThunder Seven
Never SurrenderNever Surrender
Tml Entertainment 2004
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
In the BeginningIn the Beginning
SurveillanceSurveillance
ClassicsClassics
Tml Entertainment 2007
Just a GameJust a Game
Tml Entertainment 2005
TRIUMPH NEVER SURRENDER AFL1-4382 VINYL LP 1983 PLAYS GREAT! "ALL THE WAY" NM!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 31m 33s
( THE JACKSONS-Triumph)-first Top Ten pop album since 1972's Lookin' -G4-LP US $23.38 Buy It Now 39m 51s
Triumph: Thunder Seven Cassette VG++ Canada MCA MCAC 39310 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Triumph: Classics Cassette VG++ Canada MCA MCAC-42283 US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Triumph - The Sport of Kings Japan cd 1986 MCA Rik Emmett Strung-Out Troubadours US $24.90 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Maxell Rock Sampler - high fidelity - Alan Parsons, Hall Oates, Triumph, Strawbs US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 43m
3 CD, EU, The Jacksons, Michael Jackson, Victory, Triumph, Gold (Best Of) US $30.90 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Wonders of His Love [LP] by Philip Bailey (of Earth Wind & Fire) plus Triumph US $0.99 [0 bids]
Triumph ~ Classics 1995 (Audio Cassette) "Fight The Good Fight" US $6.55 Buy It Now 6h 40m
TRIUMPH - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE ADVERT) (REF KA) US $6.55 Buy It Now 6h 43m
@ CD 1st Avenue - Tears And Triumph RARE DUTCH AOR INDISC 1992 ORG US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h
Frog Eyes, Paul's tomb A Triumph CD Album US $8.27 Buy It Now 8h
Triumph - Rock & Roll Machine LP Limited Signed/ Inscribed by Rik Emmett Canada US $21.12 [1 bids]
Manowar - The Triumph Of Steel CD Atlantic 1992 US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 6m
MAXELL ROCK SAMPLER TRIUMPH THE STRAWBS ODYSSEY ALAN PARSONS SEALED US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Goddess of Desire - Symbol of Triumph LP + autograped Poster first press Vinyl US $55.00 [0 bids]
LUCIANO PAVAROTTI-BRAVO HIS GREAT AMERICAN OPERATIC TRIUMPH PAV2001-2 NM/VG+ 2LP US $11.98 Buy It Now 11h
TRIUMPH ROCK & ROLL MACHINE / JAPAN OBI / NM MINT- CLEA US $49.99 Buy It Now 11h 8m
Triumph - Allied Forces - Vinyl LP US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 14m
Triumph - Never Surrender - Vinyl LP 1983 US $6.99 Buy It Now 11h 35m
TRIUMPH - NEVER SURRENDER LP - 1983 US $1.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - STAGES - 2 LP SET - 1980 MCA - GATE FOLD PROMO LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 12h
The Clee-Shays ~ Super Spy Themes ~ Triumph Stereo US $65.00 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Stages by Triumph (Cassette, Sep-1995, TRC Distribution) US $4.00 Buy It Now 12h 10m
Triumph - Allied Forces (Mini Lp Sleeve) [CD New] US $46.35 Buy It Now 12h 10m
16 DEADLY IMPROVS - TRIUMPH OF THE 16 DEADLY IMPROVS [CD NEW] US $11.98 Buy It Now 12h 12m
Such Triumph by Narrator (The) (CD, Apr-2006, Flameshovel) US $1.99 Buy It Now 12h 12m
Triumph the insult comic dog CD DVD comedy music album RARE US $5.00 [0 bids]
Triumph Classics Cassette OOP RARE Hair Metal US $1.99 Buy It Now 12h 20m
TRIUMPH - 12" SPECIAL EDIT PROMO, JUST ONE NIGHT - 1987 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Arnell - Punch and the Child Op. 49 . Berners - The Triumph of Neptune US $5.79 Buy It Now 12h 52m
Vanilla Muffins - The Triumph Of Sugar Oi! NEW CD US $18.12 Buy It Now 12h 55m
The Narrator : Such Triumph CD (2005) US $3.25 Buy It Now 13h 27m
Wu Tang Clan Ghostface Killah 12" Vinyl Record Lot Triumph Bulletproof Wallets US $59.99 Buy It Now 13h 38m
Jeffrey Fisher,Triumph of the Spirit US $2.49 Buy It Now 13h 42m
Triumph- Thunder Seven- Rock LP SEALED US $14.99 Buy It Now 14h 2m
TRIUMPH: Progressions Of Power. 1980 Vinyl 12" LP US $1.66 [0 bids]
Jazz 45 EDDIE JEFFERSON Sherry on Triumph US $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Thunder Seven by Triumph (CD 1995 TRC Distribution TRCD-6207) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Stages CD (1985, MCA, CD Made in Japan!) RARE / OOP US $10.00 Buy It Now 15h 26m
WU TANG CLAN "TRIUMPH 12 ORIG US NEAR MINT RAEKWON RZA GZA GHOSTFACE FOREVER US $12.00 Buy It Now 16h 3m
Bjork - Triumph Of A Heart 3 Track CD Single US $8.37 Buy It Now 16h 12m
TRIUMPH STAGES 2 LP SET GATEFOLD COVER GERMANY IMPORT US $12.99 Buy It Now 16h 13m
Kult Ov Azazel - Triumph Of Fire NEW CD US $14.39 Buy It Now 16h 18m
Vanilla Muffins - The Triumph Of Sugar Oi! NEW LP US $25.78 Buy It Now 16h 45m
TRIUMPH - SPELLBOUND - US $8.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Rock & Roll Machine LP NM/NM+ AFL1-2982 US $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 5m
Original TRIUMPH ALLIED FORCES LP 1981 RCA RECORDS (AFL 1-390-B) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Somebody's Out There / What Rules My Heart 7" Vinyl 45 & Picture Sleeve US $5.13 Buy It Now 17h 13m
THE JACKSONS - TRIUMPH - US $12.99 [0 bids]
18h
Triumph 80s ROCK DJ 45 I Can Survive Mono / Stereo Versions US $9.98 Buy It Now 18h
Triumph 80s ROCK DJ 45 Say Goodbye Mono / Stereo Versions US $9.98 Buy It Now 18h 2m
Extended Versions by Triumph (CD, Oct-2006, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) US $6.04 Buy It Now 18h 43m
Berners - The Triumph of Neptune CD (1998) US $10.00 Buy It Now 19h 7m
Jeffrey Fisher Triumph of the Spirit CD US $6.72 Buy It Now 19h 10m
Just a Game by Triumph (CD, Oct-1987, MCA (USA)) OUT OF PRINT - UNPLAYED* US $47.99 Buy It Now 19h 11m
MCA-1453 TRIUMPH Progressions Of Power OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Heavy Metal US $6.99 Buy It Now 19h 13m
Never Surrender by Triumph (CD, Jul-1987, MCA (USA)) *UNPLAYED* US $16.00 Buy It Now 19h 25m
Surveillance by Triumph (CD, Nov-1987, MCA (USA)) *UNPLAYED* OUT OF PRINT US $57.99 Buy It Now 19h 32m
TRIUMPH 9 X LP ROCK LOT NEVER SURRENDER / JUST A GAME / ALLIED FORCES / STAGES US $35.00 Buy It Now 19h 44m
GRAND MAGUS Triumph and power CD digipack +bonus Pre-order Spiritual Beggars US $9.99 Buy It Now 19h 51m
TRIUMPH lot of 6 classic hard rock metal music cassettes US $27.00 Buy It Now 20h 16m
RARE PROG ROCK STYX "The Best Of Times" - 45 rpm 1980 VINYL - no triumph kansas US $0.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Stages - Double Live Album vinyl LP '85 US $9.99 Buy It Now 20h 47m
Stages by Triumph (CD, 1986, MCAD2-8020, JVC-432 - OUT OF PRINT - *UNPLAYED* US $18.99 Buy It Now 20h 48m
CONCERTO MOON - GATE OF TRIUMPH - FLAWLESS JAPAN DIGIPAK CD with OBI US $39.99 Buy It Now 21h 5m
Triumph LP Rock & Roll Machine 1984 NM/VG+ US $5.95 [0 bids]
Original 1981Triumph Allied Forces LP US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - LIVE AT THE SWEDEN RO (IMPORT) NEW CD US $43.08 Buy It Now 21h 21m
Triumph "Thunder Seven" US $7.99 Buy It Now 21h 27m
TRIUMPH (ALLIED FORCES) LP - 1981 - RCA records AFL1 3902 + INNER Sleeve VG+ US $3.50 Buy It Now 22h 30m
Rik Emmett - Absolutely CD - Triumph Guitarist Original 1990 OOP RARE Charisma US $6.97 Buy It Now 22h 34m
Triumph Signed Thunder Seven Vinyl Lp Record Rik Emmett Candid Photo Canada HOF US $124.99 Buy It Now 22h 48m
THE CHASM deathcult for eternity:the triumph 1998 OZ PRODUCTIONS CD006) LIKE NEW US $79.99 Buy It Now 23h 11m
Rik Emmett RARE Signed Triumph Rock & Roll Machine Vinyl Lp Record Candid Photo US $124.99 Buy It Now 23h 42m
Triumph LP Thunder Seven Quiex II 1984 MASTERDISC RL Promo NM/EX US $8.95 [0 bids]
New Triumph, Starship Estrada Audio CD US $7.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Somebody's Out There TRIUMPH Aldo Nova Rush Babys UFO John Waite RARE CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - ALLIED FORCES ,RECORD,RCA,1981,12",HARD ROCK US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH ,PROGRESSIONS OF POWER,33 RPM,12",1980,RCA US $20.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GODHEADSILO Skyward in Triumph Sub Pop promo CD 1996 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Andy J. Forest - Notown Story: The Triumph Of Turmoil [CD New] US $19.98 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH-ALLIED FORCES JAPAN LP w/OBI + In Japan Insert RPL-8103 US $17.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph - Allied Forces (Mini Lp Sleeve) CD US $46.36 Buy It Now 1 day
16 Deadly Improvs - Triumph Of The 16 Deadly Improvs CD US $15.71 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH OF LOVE / O.B.C. NEW CD US $24.68 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH AMERICAN GIRLS. DEMO 7" P/S RARE US $1.64 [0 bids]
Bjork - Triumph of the heart CD Single Promo sticker US $3.30 Buy It Now 1 day
THE JACKSONS 'TRIUMPH' UK LP MICHAEL JACKSON US $13.25 Buy It Now 1 day
13 CD 1 DVD MUSIC LOT TRAVIS BSB BULLA TRIUMPH ADAMS WYATT NARADA GUITAR US $19.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH NEVER SURRENDER RCA 1983 LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
HOT SHOWER-METAL COMPILATION,1981,RCA,SLADE,HAWKWIND,TRIUMPH,BUDGIE,GRAND PRIX US $13.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph, The Sport Of Kings Vinly Record MCA-5786 US $5.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - NEVER SURRENDER - HEAVY METAL LP - SHRINK WRAP US $5.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph / Classics US $3.99 [0 bids]
Metalium - State of Triumph, Chapter Two ADVANCED CD PROMO SEALED SINNER ACCEPT US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH 'STAGES' UK DOUBLE LP US $16.56 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH 'THUNDER SEVEN' UK LP US $13.25 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH -Thunder Seven NEW SEALED LP US $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH-ALLIED FORCES 1981 RCA VICTOR LP AFL1-3902 EXC. VG+ CANADIAN METAL!! US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(33%)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars I received this album on loan from my buddy as an extra with all of the early albums I had asked him for to review Triumph for the PA. I had dropped Triumph ( and a lot of 70's survivors I must admit) by this time in the 80's as totally disgusted by the rock scenes , I went on to explore jazz , jazz-rock , psych rock folk-rock of the previous decades, that I had been too young to discover.

The thing that strikes me on this album (I only heard two tracks ever before) is that they still sound a bit like Triumph but they also sound like FM rock of the times, namely Journey , Styx, REO SpeedW etc.. Even the obligatory acoustic track, is shorter by a minute than usual and serves as intro to the metallic All The Way. Some tracks drag on (Battle Cry) while others are insufferable right from the start (Lights go Down and Writing On The Wall) and their "epic" (if you can call it that) title track with its intro is downright deceiving for the old fan. But it is in term with the rest of the album: compared to their early albums, ideas are rarer and therefore stretched to last a whole song where previously you could stick four of them into a filler track. If I seem severe with Triumph, burning what I have loved before, I can only answer your angry remarks by telling you how the once mighty have fallen! I will however be king enough to round off my rating to the upper unit/star.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#51225) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Review by slipperman
2 stars I'm no fan of Triumph, but I've heard most of their albums, and have most of them here at home (I deal vinyl on eBay, so I have an "extended" library of sorts). They're entirely below-average. I also question their inclusion on this site when a band like Blue Oyster Cult are infinitely more qualified. But since I supported the inclusion of Radiohead here, I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Behold: radio rock that never gets too heavy or too wimpy, played by musicians with admittedly remarkable talents, especially drummer Gil Moore and Rik Emmett. This is Triumph, and 'Never Surrender' sees them toeing the line between their metal, AOR and hardrock leanings, never veering too far one way or the other. The album always feels too safe, stiff and a bit bland.

Their heavier material reminds me somewhat of Styx at their heaviest (and it's a fact: Styx has more heavy songs than ballads...research it, it's true!). "Writing On The Wall" and "Battle Cry", in particular, but they lack the character and spark Styx injected into their music (pre-'Cornerstone', that is). The only song I would ever want to hear again is "Never Surrender", a fairly dramatic composition that splits the difference between 'Signals'-era Rush, 'Pieces Of Eight'-era Styx and early-'80s Blue Oyster Cult. Good stuff. The rest of the material is too middle-ground for my tastes, and, as with just about all the Triumph albums, I feel like they're too conservative for prog tastes, not heavy enough for metal fans, too edgy for AOR fans, and not living up to the musicians' potential. I have a tiny bit of respect for this band and this album, which is probably their most well-rounded and accomplished, but still, who needs 'em when we have Rush and Blue Oyster Cult?

Send comments to slipperman (BETA) | Report this review (#65454) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Another classic from the golden age of Triumph. This one came out on the heels of Allied Forces, and included three hit singles on the 1983 Mainstream Rock charts in North America (note the genre of these hits – more on tat later).

The album cover is impressive enough – a cartoonish drawing of a warrior’s face mask sprouting what is apparently a profile of a phoenix above the eyes. This was contributed by Canadian artist Ken Steacy, better known for his comic book work like Orb and Johnny Quest. Today I had occasion to actually get past the cover and play this one for the first time in twenty years.

The second most striking attribute after the cover is the lyrics on the back of the record sleeve. Some choice gems here – many words to live by from the boys up north:

“where there’s a will there’s a way; every dog will have his day”.

“you better watch out, you better look around, ‘cause what goes up is gonna’ come down”

“writing on the wall – stand up and be counted; all for one and one for all”

“see tomorrow coming, shake the hand of fate. Mirror, mirror on the wall – is it all too late”

“the loser pays and the strong survive, so take your shot – give it all you can”

“I have no choice – I answer the call; I can see it, and I believe it – there is wisdom in the writing on the wall”

and no shortage of tender moments either:

“the path of least resistance has led me right to you”

“oh sweet love, you wore such a disguise: so neat love, the way I fell for your lies”

The music is pretty much what we’ve come to expect from the Triumph trio – Rik Emmett shredding his way through a couple of chords per song, off-key shrieking, and Levine alternating between his one-two bass rhythm and nondescript keyboard work. Really, Gil Moore is a decent drummer, and he probably deserves better than this.

“Never Surrender” fits the previous description, not much more to add. “When the Lights go Down” is Triumph’s version of REO Speedwagon’s much better “Back on the Road Again”, with Emmett reaching new heights of toneless singing. “Too Much Thinking”, which kinds of describes the song-writing approach of this band, carries the message that we’re all doomed and are going to die.

There’s an attempt at a soldier tribute with “Battle Cry”, then more shrieking and shredding on “All the Way”.

Apparently the band is predicting the fate of this album with “The Writing on the Wall”, and finally the album ends with the inexplicably hit single “A World of Fantasy”, a confused love song for yet another woman Emmett is both drawn to and repulsed by. With any luck she got away.

So ends another in a too long line of Triumph musical forays. I will say that with the possible exception of Thunder Seven, this is probably their finest work.

One star.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#77983) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 12, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well at least I find the bass guitar work at the opening track "Too Much Thinking" is good. The music is something similar with Germany's early Scorpions (when Uli John Roth was still in the band). This opening track rocks! It's suitable to be as album opener as the rhythm section is energetic and guitar solos are quite substantial compared to previous albums of Triumph. "A World of Fantasy" (5:03) is another blues-based music from Triumph with good interlude. "Battle Cry" is also good song from this album. When the album reaches ""Overture (Procession)" (1:54) my expectation of "prog" elements grows but when it is followed with "Never Surrender" (6:40), it's just another straight hard rock music. Nothing is different, even though it's a good song. Keep on rockin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#120975) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Thinking man's Hard Rock without too much thinking

Never Surrender is possibly Triumph's most varied yet consistent and perhaps also their most progressive album overall. Like all of Triumph's works, this is still primarily a Hard Rock album, but this time they have chosen a slightly more sophisticated approach than on most of their other albums. The band's most undemanding and generic compositions are, thankfully, not to be found on this album (but, admittedly, their most progressive song is also not here). Even in the lyrics they manage to stay away from the worst Rock 'N' Roll standards and clichés.

The album starts with Too Much Thinking which is a good melodic Hard Rock song that runs for five and a half minutes. They use this space to include some nice guitar work. Triumph can never be accused of too much thinking, but they sure know how to play their instruments. With World Of Fantasy the tempo is slowed down a bit and they deliver here dynamic song with a strong vocal performance. A Minor Prelude is a classically inspired acoustic guitar piece of the kind that has become standard on the band's albums. Being a "prelude" this, of course, leads straight into the next song, All The Way, which is the album's most straightforward rocker and easily the least interesting song here. The chorus is quite tedious both musically and lyrically ? a very typical Triumph Hard Rock number. Battle Cry is a much better song that alternates between slower and more intense passages. This will hardly blow the Prog fan away, but it is a good song in my book.

Next up is an "overture" that introduces the title track. While hardly remarkable, this Overture surely raises the expectations for the rest of the album, but anyone expecting a Prog epic will be brought down to earth with Never Surrender. Despite a the instrumental middle section, it is basically another sophisticated melodic Hard Rock song, similar in style and quality to Too Much Thinking and World Of Fantasy - good, but hardly something to write home about. When The Light Go Down is worse! It has a short, folksy acoustic intro and outro that evokes Led Zeppelin and overall it is a pretty unexciting bluesy Hard Rock number in the style of that band. As the album closer is a short, relaxing, bluesy instrumental guitar piece, the album's last proper song is Writing On The Wall which is, again, a melodic up tempo rocker.

Three stars might be seen as a rather generous rating for this album, but it is nonetheless the rating I will give as this is one of Triumph's better albums. Good, but by no means essential.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#246284) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 25, 2009

4 stars Good album Triumph's Never Surrender was an albun that I didn't really know what to think of when I first heard them. But the album didn't let me down at all. I was immensly impressed with how it started off and carried through. Too Much Thinking, A World of Fantasy, Writing on the Wall, Never ... (read more)

Report this review (#92698) | Posted by Xeroth | Saturday, September 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars For me this was a hard album to get on cd. I had it on LP but the grooves were nowhere to be seen. This is an album that you put on....and on....and on. One of the best songs ever, the title track, Never Surrender has one of the best rhythems in rock. The singing is clear, crisp. There are no ... (read more)

Report this review (#57301) | Posted by Hét LICHAAM | Monday, November 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "Never Surrender"