NEVER SURRENDER

Triumph Never Surrender album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Too Much Thinking (5:34)
2. A World of Fantasy (5:03)
3. A Minor Prelude (0:43)
4. All the Way (4:22)
5. Battle Cry (4:57)
6. Overture (Procession) (1:54)
7. Never Surrender (6:40)
8. When the Lights Go Down (5:03)
9. Writing on the Wall (3:34)
10. Epilogue (Resolution) (2:41)

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender lyrics

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender tabs

- Rik Emmett / synths, guitar, dobro, vocals
- Michael Levine / keys, bass
- Gil Moore / drums, vocals

2004 CD TRC #78006

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH Never Surrender Music

Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
In the BeginningIn the Beginning
StagesStages
Sport of KingsSport of Kings
Tml Entertainment 2005
Manowar - Cassette tape BULGARIA RARE Unison records Triumph of steel US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
PHILIP BAILEY Japan LP with OBI, TRIUMPH US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h
UNKNOWN PEOPLE - TRIUMPH [EP] (828600404925) - NEW CD US $11.93 Buy It Now 2h 3m
TRIUMPH (CANADIAN ROCK/METAL GROUP) progressions of power LP 9 track deletion cu US $8.51 Buy It Now 2h 32m
1984 NM Ltd Ed Colored Vinyl 7" Single 45 RPM, Triumph, "Follow Your Heart" US $9.99 [0 bids]
JIMMY (NIGHT TRAIN) FOREST COCKTAILS FOR TWO/ NIGHT FLIGHT 45 VINYL TRIUMPH US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 50m
6 METAL ALBUMS RAINBOW, ONLY CHILD, TRIUMPH AND KROKUS NICE ! US $9.99 [1 bids]
Triumph of Steel [VINYL] * NEW * Free Priority Shipping US $28.36 Buy It Now 3h 28m
KOSCAK YAMADA /TRIUMPH AND PEACE1912 w/OBI JPN SJX-1170 US $21.00 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Triumph - Thunder Seven LP Vinyl record VG+ US $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
TRIUMPH-ALLIED FORCES-JAPAN Ltd.Ed MINI LP CD 0512 Fi83 US $35.50 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Sheila Walsh - Triumph In The Air - LP US $2.50 Buy It Now 4h 20m
TRIUMPH-I LIVE FOR THE WEEKEND 1980 RCA PROMO 7" US $6.81 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Joe Meek Triumph Session Work In Progress double LP Sealed Import US $27.97 Buy It Now 4h 35m
BATTLESWORD - Failing In Triumph CD Neon Knights 2003 RARE Melodic Death Metal US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Triumph_MAGAZINE CLIPPINGS CUTTINGS_ships from AUSTRALIA! bs1 US $10.32 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Vintage Triumph Allied Forces Vinyl Record Lp with Original Sleeve 1981 VG 3902 US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 28m
Warlock - Triumph and Agony 1987 Metal vinyl record. From Germany US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Triumph / The Sport Of Kings / VG++ MCA-5786 / Mike Clink, Rik Emmett, M Levine US $4.29 Buy It Now 6h 17m
TRIUMPH Somebodys Out There bw Rules My Heart 45 rpm Vinyl Record Jukebox US $4.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH "ALLIED FORCES" 1981 Record Album US $5.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
D.O.A./ Triumph Of The Ignoroids/ Friends/ 1981 Pressing/ KBD/ NM US $39.95 Buy It Now 6h 47m
TRIUMPH - Classics (1989) OOP Cassette NEW US $24.98 Buy It Now 7h 13m
RARE OOP NOURISH THE FLAME TRIAL INTO TRIUMPH RARE OOP CD LOOK US $19.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Of The Spirit Soundtrack CD Cliff Eidelman RARE OOP US $12.99 [1 bids]
CD: Blade of Triumph - Iron Fire - Sealed US $15.34 Buy It Now 7h 33m
THE CHALLENGERS GO SIDEWALK SURFING LP TRIUMPH RECORDS MONO 723 US $35.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
NEW - State of Triumph by Metalium US $13.95 Buy It Now 8h
TRIUMPH LP-ALLIED FORCES/RCA VICTOR RECORDS, AFL1-3902 STEREO VG++ US $9.98 Buy It Now 8h
Dark Triumph - The Life of Victoria Lancaster Smith, BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED CD US $11.78 Buy It Now 8h 10m
TRIUMPH-THE SPORT OF KINGS-MCA 5786 VG+/VG+ LP US $7.48 Buy It Now 8h 30m
TRIUMPH-SURVEILLANCE-MCA 42083 VG+/VG+ LP US $8.98 Buy It Now 8h 30m
TRIUMPH-PROGRESSIONS OF POWER--MCA 1453 NM/VG+ LP US $9.98 Buy It Now 8h 30m
TRIUMPH-JUST A GAME-MCA 37268 VG+/VG+ LP US $7.98 Buy It Now 8h 31m
THE JACKSONS / TRIUMPH / CASSETTE TAPE / CBS (UK) 1980 US $11.41 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Triumph - Rock And Roll Machine LP AFL1-2982 US $10.00 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Misanthropic Triumph / Ravendark's Monarchal Canticle: Breath Of Deadly Silence US $9.95 Buy It Now 9h 3m
TRIUMPH - HOLD ON MON / STEREO PROMO 45 RECORD US $2.75 [2 bids]
Rik Emmett ( Triumph guitarist ) - Swing Shift RARE OOP ORIG Canadian CD (Mint!) US $27.00 Buy It Now 9h 38m
TRIUMPH PROGRESSIONS OF POWER LP 1980 MCA RECORDS RARE HTF OOP RUSH US $7.00 [0 bids]
ADRIAN WESTNEY JR cd A Triumph of Grace PIANO VERY NICE US $14.95 Buy It Now 9h 59m
TRIUMPH - ROCK & ROLL MACHINE CD REMASTERED EDITION MINT US $8.95 [0 bids]
Triumph MCA Promo 45 Record #52898 VG+ PS Somebody's Out There US $6.00 Buy It Now 10h 12m
TRIUMPH - The Sport Of Kings CD Early Pressing JAPAN DISC Original MCA JVC 5786 US $2.99 [1 bids]
Triumph~The Sport Of Kings~1986 Canada MCA 5786 Cassette VG++ US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Triumph- Surveillance- new/sealed cassette tape US $2.50 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Ipso Facto by Rik Emmett/Triumph/new cd/Japan issue same tracks US $50.00 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Ksak Yamada: Symphony in F major 'Triumph and Peace', New Music US $6.51 Buy It Now 11h 34m
Triumph Surveillance Vinyl LP Record Album US $15.99 Buy It Now 11h 38m
TRIUMPH"Thunder Seven & Just A Game PROMO"Two Album Lot NM-/NM- Vinyl US $13.25 [0 bids]
Permafrost Devil Worship Digi-CD (Blutrache, Menneskerhat, Triumph Genus) US $16.48 Buy It Now 11h 54m
ERIC STEEL infectious LP SEALED passport 1988 canada metal april wine triumph US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH outlaws STYX michael stanley HALL & OATES robert gordon POCO LP SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH OF DEATH"V/A"ORG cd Turbo 92,Acheron,Death Yell,Beherit,Carcass... US $24.99 Buy It Now 12h 32m
NM 1980 Triumph / Progressions of Power LP in shrink US $5.00 Buy It Now 13h 16m
Triumph * by Sharon MaRee NEW (CD, Mar-2009, T Records) US $4.99 Buy It Now 13h 24m
triumph-mca-thunder seven-sealed US $28.00 Buy It Now 13h 29m
TRIUMPH - ALLIED FORCES, AFL1-3902 RCA US $11.00 Buy It Now 14h 8m
TRIUMPH - NEVER SURRENDER LP 1983 VG++ VINYL US $4.83 [0 bids]
Triumph / Classics US $3.99 [0 bids]
Triumph "Westwood One, Off The Record w/ Marry Turner" 5/6/85 (2) LP's US $38.95 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH usa dj 45 ALL THE WAY, RCA 13539, 1983 metal US $4.50 Buy It Now 15h 13m
SUGARCUBES Deus 12" Single One Little Indian 1988 U.K. Pressing JOHNNY TRIUMPH US $5.95 Buy It Now 15h 26m
Come Poop With Me Triumph the insult comic dog with BONUS DVD 99 CENT CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE SPORT OF KINGS - TRIUMPH NEW FACTORY SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 15h 41m
MAXELL Rock II Sampler RCA LP '80 OG Cello Triumph Airplay Robert Gordon NM US $2.99 [0 bids]
In The Beginning (rmst) - Triumph US $7.59 Buy It Now 15h 54m
Lot of 18 CLASSIC HARD ROCK Cassette Tapes AC/DC/Who/Thin Lizzy/Triumph/Nazareth US $19.95 [0 bids]
16h
TRIUMPH Thunder Seven LP MCA 1984 Limited Edition Quiex II Audiophile Version US $8.95 [0 bids]
16h
(CD) Handel: Triumph of Time & Truth /2CD/Sharon Baker;Dominique Labelle;Stepner US $10.99 Buy It Now 16h 15m
triumph lp rock & roll machine afl1-2982 vg+/vg++ US $5.39 Buy It Now 16h 19m
triumph lp allied forces w/inner afl1-3902 vg+/vg+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 16h 23m
MANOWAR / the triumph of steel /JAPAN LTD CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 17h 40m
godheadSilo SKYWARD IN TRIUMPH promo advance cd SUB POP Noise Rock FARGO ND 1996 US $4.99 Buy It Now 18h 6m
TRIUMPH Surveillance LP vinyl original 1987 promo US $1.99 [1 bids]
THE JACKSONS TRIUMPH AUSTRALIAN RELEASE PAPER LABELS CASSETTE TAPE US $19.92 Buy It Now 19h 34m
IRON FIRE blade of triumph ( POWER EPIC SPEED METAL ) US $7.99 Buy It Now 20h 19m
EMI COLH-120 CARUSO The Years of Triumph DONIZETTI BIZET PUCCINI VERDI Low SHIP US $25.00 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Triumph - Dominium Cd 2002. Description soon! US $7.80 Buy It Now 20h 42m
Warlock - Triumph and Agony Cd 1987. 1st Press. Doro Pesch. US $42.00 Buy It Now 20h 44m
ABOMINANT Triumph of the Kill CD incantation sodom US $3.49 Buy It Now 21h 10m
JOE MEEK STORY VOL 2 1960-61 CD Triumph Story Joe Leyton Mike Berry US $24.99 Buy It Now 21h 12m
TRIUMPH ~ selftitled~ RCA INTERNATIONAL 5153 Canada pressing excellent condition US $8.99 Buy It Now 21h 28m
TRIUMPH-A World Of Fantasy/Too Much Thinking UK 7" Pic Disc EX Cond US $17.04 Buy It Now 23h 24m
JACKSONS - X2: TRIUMPH / DESTINY NEW CD US $19.79 Buy It Now 23h 31m
JUN MATSUE - Triumph of Guitar Murderer - Japan CD US $14.24 Buy It Now 1 day
JACKSONS TRIUMPH FT CAN YOU FEEL IT WALK RIGHT NOW VINYL LP ALBUM EPIC 86112 US $6.38 Buy It Now 1 day
BATTLESWORD - FAILING IN TRIUMPH CD Melodic death metal US $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph 2000 - Phazed & Confused (1999) - Used - Compact Disc US $3.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph/ Thunder Seven/ MCA-5537/ Near Mint US $4.95 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH THE SPORT OF THE KINGS LP GERMANY US $7.00 Buy It Now 1 day
triumph_MAGAZINE ARTICLE CUTTINGS CLIPPINGS ships from AUSTRALIA US $9.38 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH PROGRESSIONS OF POWER 1980 JAPAN CD OBI 1800yen US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GOSPEL GREATS 10: SONGS OF TRIUMPH / VARIOUS NEW CD US $10.55 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - LIVE AT SWEDEN ROCK FESTIVAL (+DVD) NEW CD US $24.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Birtwistle: The Triumph Of Time; Gawains Journey CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
BIRTWISTLE / HOWARTH / PO / LONDON SINFONIETTA - TRIUMPH OF TIME / NEW CD US $21.69 Buy It Now 1 day
THE JACKSONS - DESTINY/TRIUMPH - NEW CD BOXSET US $18.12 Buy It Now 1 day
Classics by Triumph (CD, 1989, MCA) Free Ship #DX45 US $12.92 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - JUSTA GAME - ROCK LP - SHRINK WRAP - PROMO US $5.98 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(33%)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars I received this album on loan from my buddy as an extra with all of the early albums I had asked him for to review Triumph for the PA. I had dropped Triumph ( and a lot of 70's survivors I must admit) by this time in the 80's as totally disgusted by the rock scenes , I went on to explore jazz , jazz-rock , psych rock folk-rock of the previous decades, that I had been too young to discover.

The thing that strikes me on this album (I only heard two tracks ever before) is that they still sound a bit like Triumph but they also sound like FM rock of the times, namely Journey , Styx, REO SpeedW etc.. Even the obligatory acoustic track, is shorter by a minute than usual and serves as intro to the metallic All The Way. Some tracks drag on (Battle Cry) while others are insufferable right from the start (Lights go Down and Writing On The Wall) and their "epic" (if you can call it that) title track with its intro is downright deceiving for the old fan. But it is in term with the rest of the album: compared to their early albums, ideas are rarer and therefore stretched to last a whole song where previously you could stick four of them into a filler track. If I seem severe with Triumph, burning what I have loved before, I can only answer your angry remarks by telling you how the once mighty have fallen! I will however be king enough to round off my rating to the upper unit/star.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#51225) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Review by slipperman
2 stars I'm no fan of Triumph, but I've heard most of their albums, and have most of them here at home (I deal vinyl on eBay, so I have an "extended" library of sorts). They're entirely below-average. I also question their inclusion on this site when a band like Blue Oyster Cult are infinitely more qualified. But since I supported the inclusion of Radiohead here, I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Behold: radio rock that never gets too heavy or too wimpy, played by musicians with admittedly remarkable talents, especially drummer Gil Moore and Rik Emmett. This is Triumph, and 'Never Surrender' sees them toeing the line between their metal, AOR and hardrock leanings, never veering too far one way or the other. The album always feels too safe, stiff and a bit bland.

Their heavier material reminds me somewhat of Styx at their heaviest (and it's a fact: Styx has more heavy songs than ballads...research it, it's true!). "Writing On The Wall" and "Battle Cry", in particular, but they lack the character and spark Styx injected into their music (pre-'Cornerstone', that is). The only song I would ever want to hear again is "Never Surrender", a fairly dramatic composition that splits the difference between 'Signals'-era Rush, 'Pieces Of Eight'-era Styx and early-'80s Blue Oyster Cult. Good stuff. The rest of the material is too middle-ground for my tastes, and, as with just about all the Triumph albums, I feel like they're too conservative for prog tastes, not heavy enough for metal fans, too edgy for AOR fans, and not living up to the musicians' potential. I have a tiny bit of respect for this band and this album, which is probably their most well-rounded and accomplished, but still, who needs 'em when we have Rush and Blue Oyster Cult?

Send comments to slipperman (BETA) | Report this review (#65454) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Another classic from the golden age of Triumph. This one came out on the heels of Allied Forces, and included three hit singles on the 1983 Mainstream Rock charts in North America (note the genre of these hits – more on tat later).

The album cover is impressive enough – a cartoonish drawing of a warrior’s face mask sprouting what is apparently a profile of a phoenix above the eyes. This was contributed by Canadian artist Ken Steacy, better known for his comic book work like Orb and Johnny Quest. Today I had occasion to actually get past the cover and play this one for the first time in twenty years.

The second most striking attribute after the cover is the lyrics on the back of the record sleeve. Some choice gems here – many words to live by from the boys up north:

“where there’s a will there’s a way; every dog will have his day”.

“you better watch out, you better look around, ‘cause what goes up is gonna’ come down”

“writing on the wall – stand up and be counted; all for one and one for all”

“see tomorrow coming, shake the hand of fate. Mirror, mirror on the wall – is it all too late”

“the loser pays and the strong survive, so take your shot – give it all you can”

“I have no choice – I answer the call; I can see it, and I believe it – there is wisdom in the writing on the wall”

and no shortage of tender moments either:

“the path of least resistance has led me right to you”

“oh sweet love, you wore such a disguise: so neat love, the way I fell for your lies”

The music is pretty much what we’ve come to expect from the Triumph trio – Rik Emmett shredding his way through a couple of chords per song, off-key shrieking, and Levine alternating between his one-two bass rhythm and nondescript keyboard work. Really, Gil Moore is a decent drummer, and he probably deserves better than this.

“Never Surrender” fits the previous description, not much more to add. “When the Lights go Down” is Triumph’s version of REO Speedwagon’s much better “Back on the Road Again”, with Emmett reaching new heights of toneless singing. “Too Much Thinking”, which kinds of describes the song-writing approach of this band, carries the message that we’re all doomed and are going to die.

There’s an attempt at a soldier tribute with “Battle Cry”, then more shrieking and shredding on “All the Way”.

Apparently the band is predicting the fate of this album with “The Writing on the Wall”, and finally the album ends with the inexplicably hit single “A World of Fantasy”, a confused love song for yet another woman Emmett is both drawn to and repulsed by. With any luck she got away.

So ends another in a too long line of Triumph musical forays. I will say that with the possible exception of Thunder Seven, this is probably their finest work.

One star.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#77983) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 12, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well at least I find the bass guitar work at the opening track "Too Much Thinking" is good. The music is something similar with Germany's early Scorpions (when Uli John Roth was still in the band). This opening track rocks! It's suitable to be as album opener as the rhythm section is energetic and guitar solos are quite substantial compared to previous albums of Triumph. "A World of Fantasy" (5:03) is another blues-based music from Triumph with good interlude. "Battle Cry" is also good song from this album. When the album reaches ""Overture (Procession)" (1:54) my expectation of "prog" elements grows but when it is followed with "Never Surrender" (6:40), it's just another straight hard rock music. Nothing is different, even though it's a good song. Keep on rockin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#120975) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Thinking man's Hard Rock without too much thinking

Never Surrender is possibly Triumph's most varied yet consistent and perhaps also their most progressive album overall. Like all of Triumph's works, this is still primarily a Hard Rock album, but this time they have chosen a slightly more sophisticated approach than on most of their other albums. The band's most undemanding and generic compositions are, thankfully, not to be found on this album (but, admittedly, their most progressive song is also not here). Even in the lyrics they manage to stay away from the worst Rock 'N' Roll standards and clichs.

The album starts with Too Much Thinking which is a good melodic Hard Rock song that runs for five and a half minutes. They use this space to include some nice guitar work. Triumph can never be accused of too much thinking, but they sure know how to play their instruments. With World Of Fantasy the tempo is slowed down a bit and they deliver here dynamic song with a strong vocal performance. A Minor Prelude is a classically inspired acoustic guitar piece of the kind that has become standard on the band's albums. Being a "prelude" this, of course, leads straight into the next song, All The Way, which is the album's most straightforward rocker and easily the least interesting song here. The chorus is quite tedious both musically and lyrically ? a very typical Triumph Hard Rock number. Battle Cry is a much better song that alternates between slower and more intense passages. This will hardly blow the Prog fan away, but it is a good song in my book.

Next up is an "overture" that introduces the title track. While hardly remarkable, this Overture surely raises the expectations for the rest of the album, but anyone expecting a Prog epic will be brought down to earth with Never Surrender. Despite a the instrumental middle section, it is basically another sophisticated melodic Hard Rock song, similar in style and quality to Too Much Thinking and World Of Fantasy - good, but hardly something to write home about. When The Light Go Down is worse! It has a short, folksy acoustic intro and outro that evokes Led Zeppelin and overall it is a pretty unexciting bluesy Hard Rock number in the style of that band. As the album closer is a short, relaxing, bluesy instrumental guitar piece, the album's last proper song is Writing On The Wall which is, again, a melodic up tempo rocker.

Three stars might be seen as a rather generous rating for this album, but it is nonetheless the rating I will give as this is one of Triumph's better albums. Good, but by no means essential.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#246284) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 25, 2009

4 stars Good album Triumph's Never Surrender was an albun that I didn't really know what to think of when I first heard them. But the album didn't let me down at all. I was immensly impressed with how it started off and carried through. Too Much Thinking, A World of Fantasy, Writing on the Wall, Never ... (read more)

Report this review (#92698) | Posted by Xeroth | Saturday, September 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars For me this was a hard album to get on cd. I had it on LP but the grooves were nowhere to be seen. This is an album that you put on....and on....and on. One of the best songs ever, the title track, Never Surrender has one of the best rhythems in rock. The singing is clear, crisp. There are no ... (read more)

Report this review (#57301) | Posted by Ht LICHAAM | Monday, November 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "Never Surrender"