NEVER SURRENDER

Triumph Never Surrender album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Too Much Thinking (5:34)
2. A World of Fantasy (5:03)
3. A Minor Prelude (0:43)
4. All the Way (4:22)
5. Battle Cry (4:57)
6. Overture (Procession) (1:54)
7. Never Surrender (6:40)
8. When the Lights Go Down (5:03)
9. Writing on the Wall (3:34)
10. Epilogue (Resolution) (2:41)

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender lyrics

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender tabs

- Rik Emmett / synths, guitar, dobro, vocals
- Michael Levine / keys, bass
- Gil Moore / drums, vocals

2004 CD TRC #78006

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH Never Surrender Music

Allied ForcesAllied Forces
Tml Entertainment 2004
Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
TML Entertainment 2010
ClassicsClassics
Tml Entertainment 2007
Just a GameJust a Game
Tml Entertainment 2005
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
Never SurrenderNever Surrender
Tml Entertainment 2004
Progressions of PowerProgressions of Power
SurveillanceSurveillance
Rock N Roll MachineRock N Roll Machine
1984 TRIUMPH "Thunder Seven" Philippines LP US $40.00 Buy It Now 38m 42s
After the Triumph of Your Birth Jim Akin / Maria McKee CD US $12.98 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Triumph Of Love Hacquart / Camerata Trajectina CD US $12.90 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Triumph- Progressions of Power-includes insert- free uk post US $17.82 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Triumph Of Time & Truth Handel / Mcfadden / Scholl / Hariades CD US $24.64 Buy It Now 3h 10m
MANOWAR THE TRIUMPH OF STEEL USA CASSETTE TAPE US $12.61 Buy It Now 4h 56m
JESSE WILLIS,MIKE MIDWESTERN,NEW CD,From Triumph to Tragedy US $5.79 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Triumph Of Lethargy Skinned - Dead Rhythm (2006) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 5h 16m
"CLASSICS" TRIUMPH CASSETTE VG+ US $2.99 Buy It Now 5h 24m
TRIUMPH 4 LP Lot Allied Forces, Just A Game, Never Surrender, Thunder Seven US $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
TRIUMPH - JUST A GAME - NEAR MINT RE-ISSUE RCA RECORD 1979 US $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 53m
Triumph Just a Game AFL1-3224 Record Vinyl LP US $1.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH "ALLIED FORCES" 1981 Record Album US $5.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Rock & Roll Machine 1978 RCA Records Vinyl Lp Record US $4.00 Buy It Now 6h 38m
TRIUMPH Surveillance CD Japan 12 tracks MCA 32XD-902 US $10.99 [2 bids]
World's Fair NY 1964-1965, Triumph of Man, Travelers Insurance red vinyl record US $10.00 [0 bids]
4LP Vinyl Hair Metal Lot Dokken Van Halen ZZ Top Triumph VG++ Nice Clean Copies US $5.02 [1 bids]
Triumph Thunder Seven Vinyl LP Record Album -- Quiex II Limited Edition Pressing US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Triumph Never Surrender LP US $1.00 Buy It Now 9h 19m
RIK SANTERS Mayday 4 track EP SEALED Canadian Hard Rock Triumph Coney Hatch 1982 US $6.99 [0 bids]
Wings, Crosby Stills & Nash, Triumph, Head East, Night, Flame 45's US $7.50 [0 bids]
THE TRIUMPH OF LOVE - CAMERATA TRAJECTINA - GLO6069 US $21.11 Buy It Now 9h 56m
WHILE HEAVEN WEPT - TRIUMPH: TRAGEDY: TRANSCENDENCE (+DVD) NEW CD US $25.80 Buy It Now 9h 59m
EDDIE COOLEY & DIMPLES - LEONA / BE MY STEADY - RARE 1959 VG+ on TRIUMPH US $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 13m
TRIUMPH King Biscuit Flower Hour Live In Concert Cleveland Ohio 1981 CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
JACKSONS TRIUMPH EPIC 25 3P-239 Japanese pressing Vinyl LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH 'PROGRESSIONS OF POWER' UK LP US $10.57 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Rik Emmett Absolutely USA Cassette Tape Triumph US $3.99 Buy It Now 10h 51m
TRIUMPH never surrender JAPAN LP OBI it RPL-8165 US $15.99 Buy It Now 11h 41m
R&B Popcorn 45 ~ Varetta Dillard ~ Scorched ~ Triumph ~ mp3 VG+ US $34.00 [7 bids]
TRIUMPH: Rock & Roll Machine LP (promo stamp obc, few lite cover creases, disc US $15.00 Buy It Now 12h 2m
Rik Emmett - Ten Invitations From The ... CD Triumph Mega Rare Classical US $7.99 [1 bids]
VALERY KASTELSKY: Jolivet"Piano Concerto",Mannino"Triumph of love" MELODIYA LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 12h 47m
1 CENT CD: Triumph Insult Comic Dog 'Come Poop' PA +DVD US $0.01 [0 bids]
Triumph Never Surrender LP RCA 1983 US $4.50 Buy It Now 12h 53m
FROG EYES - PAUL'S TOMB: A TRIUMPH * - NEW CD US $11.67 Buy It Now 13h 13m
RIK EMMETT - THE SPIRAL NOTEBOOK 1995 AOR , TRIUMPH US $8.40 [0 bids]
BOBBY COMSTOCK & COUNTS Zig Zag 45 Great Rockabilly Triumph Promo NM- Listen!! US $8.49 [3 bids]
Deviator - To Forgotten Path-Triumph of the Will CD US $16.06 Buy It Now 13h 43m
VARETTA DILLARD on TRIUMPH SCORCHED US $49.99 [1 bids]
Rik Emmett ( Triumph ) raw quartet CD US $16.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH * I CAN SURVIVE & NATURE'S CHILD * 45 RPM US $9.00 Buy It Now 14h 13m
Triumph "Progressions Of Power" 1980 RCA LP US $3.99 [0 bids]
FATALLY YOURS - Almost Sacred Triumph (UK CD ALBUM 2007) Indie Rock*Mint US $3.51 Buy It Now 14h 42m
TRIUMPH Allied Forces RCA LP '81 OG Hard Rock US $2.50 Buy It Now 14h 58m
Triumph Progression of Power in shrink 12" vinyl LP EXC RCA AYL1-4561 rock emmit US $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 8m
Triumph Sport of Kings Sealed LP & Somebodys Out There EP Promo 12" vinyl rock US $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 8m
SOUL R&B ~ LITTLE MARIE ALLEN ~ HUMDINGER ~ TRIUMPH WLP ~ VG+ US $93.42 Buy It Now 15h 51m
triumph-rca ayli4561-progressions of.. sealed US $15.40 Buy It Now 16h 22m
triumph-mca-the sport of kings-sealed US $24.00 Buy It Now 16h 24m
triumph-mca5537-thunder seven-sealed US $14.00 Buy It Now 16h 26m
TRIUMPH LP PROGRESSIONS OF POWER RCA 3524 US $6.99 Buy It Now 16h 49m
WARLOCK ALBUM "TRIUMPH AND AGONY"/ AUTOGRAPHED BY DORA+NIKO+TOMMY /1987/ MINT * US $53.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH 812 -AL COHN QUARTET - LET'S GET AWAY FROM IT ALL/GROOVIN WITH GUS- E US $19.99 [0 bids]
Triumph The Jacksons Original Vinyl Record album US $5.99 [0 bids]
GRAND BELIAL'S KEY - TRIUMPH OF THE HORDE MC'94 BLASPHEMY VON DEMONCY MYSTIFIER US $3.26 [2 bids]
MEW - A TRIUMPH FOR MAN 2 CD DELUXE REISSUE OOP RARE MINT FRENGERS US $75.00 Buy It Now 19h 42m
Triumph - Extended Versions [CD New] US $6.39 Buy It Now 19h 52m
Nemeth,Ferenc - Triumph [CD New] US $10.99 Buy It Now 19h 57m
RIK EMMETT,absolutely,RANDY COOKE,colleen allen,TRIUMPH US $6.99 Buy It Now 20h 39m
King Biscuit Flower Hour (In Concert) by Triumph (CD, Feb-1996, King Biscuit... US $24.95 [0 bids]
Handel The Triumph of Time and Truth Darlow Fisher UK US $69.69 Buy It Now 21h 16m
HELCARAXE - TRIUMPH AND REVENGE US $6.99 Buy It Now 21h 34m
A924 THE JACKSONS / TRIUMPH JAPAN CD 25.8P-5141 OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 23h
Triumph Live At The Us Festival CD US $12.50 Buy It Now 23h 10m
FROG EYES - PAUL'S TOMB A TRIUMPH - PROMO CD - WOLF PARADE SUNSET RUBDOWN PAULS US $4.62 Buy It Now 23h 59m
Triumph of Love - F. Murray Abraham, Roger Bart, Susan Birkenhead, Susan Egan, US $5.60 Buy It Now 1 day
SEQUEL - Back (CD 2007) 1980s Hard Rock Survivor Dokken Triumph Great White Ratt US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GODDESS OF DESIRE - Symbol of Triumph (CD) US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JACKSONS (US GROUP) triumph LP 9 track (32366) dutch epic 1980 US $8.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph - Live At The Us Festival [CD New] US $12.96 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH NEVER SURRENDER ORIGINAL 1983 RCA RECORDS LP WITH SLEEVE NICE 5 DAYS !!! US $5.49 [0 bids]
WARLOCK TRIUMPH & AGONY 1987 WEST GERMANY CD 1ST PRESS US $35.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Wonders of His Love [LP] by Philip Bailey (of Earth Wind & Fire) plus Triumph US $4.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH STAGES 2 LP SET GATEFOLD COVER GERMANY IMPORT US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Boulez / Bbc Symphony Orchestra 20C: Birthwistle / The Triumph Of Time CD NEW US $13.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph - Edge Of Excess / TH Cassette US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RIK EMMETT Ipso Facto JAPAN CD OBI TRIUMPH US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph, Thunder Seven Promotional Copy US $15.00 [0 bids]
Triumph, Surveillance Promotional Copy US $15.00 [0 bids]
RIK EMMETT The Spiral Notebook JAPAN CD OBI TRIUMPH US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph - Stages 2LP Japan Obi Heavy Metal Mega Rare ! US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH Rock & Roll Machine record vinyl LP Import 1977 Attic Records US $5.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH STAGES 2 VINYL MASTERDISK VG+ HEAR IT US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
WHILE HEAVEN WEPT - Triumph:Tragedy:Transcendence: Live, 2CD 2010 Brand NEW US $9.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph Limited Edition Rock & Roll Machine Special Silver Album LATX 1036 Mint US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE JACKSONS TRIUMPH 1980 EPIC PROMO LP RECORD FE 36424 NM VINYL US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MANOWAR The Triumph Of Steel CD 1992 Atlantic Records Holy Hell David Shankle US $4.99 [0 bids]
JUDAS ISCARIOT tribute CD Triumph of Evil krieg leviathan xasthur nachymystium US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Kult Ov Azazel - Triumph of Fire (2004) US $9.60 Buy It Now 1 day
CATARACT - With Triumph Comes Loss CD SWISS DEATH METAL New US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
Cataract - With Triumph Comes Loss (2004) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $12.04 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH allied forces LP VG+ AFL1-3902 RL Masterdisk Bob Ludwig 1981 Record US $15.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL JACKSON RARE KING OF POP BADGE 1992 TRIUMPH INC STAMPED AS NEW US $15.11 [0 bids]
A TRANSACORD RECORDING The Triumph Of An A4 Pacific +Insert ARGO 1963 US $16.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph: When The Lights Go Down 12" US $3.38 Buy It Now 1 day
Unleashed ? And We Shall Triumph In Victory 6 PLP Box Set Entombed Asphyx US $66.00 [4 bids]
1984, Triumph, Ltd Edition Red Vinyl, 45 rpm, 7" Single, "Follow Your Heart" US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Jacksons 7 CD lot - Goin' Places / Destiny / Triumph etc / Michael Jackson 5 US $5.50 [5 bids]
Never Surrender - Triumph (CD 1987) Original MCA Release Japan for U.S. NRMT US $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(12%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(32%)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars I received this album on loan from my buddy as an extra with all of the early albums I had asked him for to review Triumph for the PA. I had dropped Triumph ( and a lot of 70's survivors I must admit) by this time in the 80's as totally disgusted by the rock scenes , I went on to explore jazz , jazz-rock , psych rock folk-rock of the previous decades, that I had been too young to discover.

The thing that strikes me on this album (I only heard two tracks ever before) is that they still sound a bit like Triumph but they also sound like FM rock of the times, namely Journey , Styx, REO SpeedW etc.. Even the obligatory acoustic track, is shorter by a minute than usual and serves as intro to the metallic All The Way. Some tracks drag on (Battle Cry) while others are insufferable right from the start (Lights go Down and Writing On The Wall) and their "epic" (if you can call it that) title track with its intro is downright deceiving for the old fan. But it is in term with the rest of the album: compared to their early albums, ideas are rarer and therefore stretched to last a whole song where previously you could stick four of them into a filler track. If I seem severe with Triumph, burning what I have loved before, I can only answer your angry remarks by telling you how the once mighty have fallen! I will however be king enough to round off my rating to the upper unit/star.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#51225) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Review by slipperman
2 stars I'm no fan of Triumph, but I've heard most of their albums, and have most of them here at home (I deal vinyl on eBay, so I have an "extended" library of sorts). They're entirely below-average. I also question their inclusion on this site when a band like Blue Oyster Cult are infinitely more qualified. But since I supported the inclusion of Radiohead here, I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Behold: radio rock that never gets too heavy or too wimpy, played by musicians with admittedly remarkable talents, especially drummer Gil Moore and Rik Emmett. This is Triumph, and 'Never Surrender' sees them toeing the line between their metal, AOR and hardrock leanings, never veering too far one way or the other. The album always feels too safe, stiff and a bit bland.

Their heavier material reminds me somewhat of Styx at their heaviest (and it's a fact: Styx has more heavy songs than ballads...research it, it's true!). "Writing On The Wall" and "Battle Cry", in particular, but they lack the character and spark Styx injected into their music (pre-'Cornerstone', that is). The only song I would ever want to hear again is "Never Surrender", a fairly dramatic composition that splits the difference between 'Signals'-era Rush, 'Pieces Of Eight'-era Styx and early-'80s Blue Oyster Cult. Good stuff. The rest of the material is too middle-ground for my tastes, and, as with just about all the Triumph albums, I feel like they're too conservative for prog tastes, not heavy enough for metal fans, too edgy for AOR fans, and not living up to the musicians' potential. I have a tiny bit of respect for this band and this album, which is probably their most well-rounded and accomplished, but still, who needs 'em when we have Rush and Blue Oyster Cult?

Send comments to slipperman (BETA) | Report this review (#65454) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Another classic from the golden age of Triumph. This one came out on the heels of Allied Forces, and included three hit singles on the 1983 Mainstream Rock charts in North America (note the genre of these hits – more on tat later).

The album cover is impressive enough – a cartoonish drawing of a warrior’s face mask sprouting what is apparently a profile of a phoenix above the eyes. This was contributed by Canadian artist Ken Steacy, better known for his comic book work like Orb and Johnny Quest. Today I had occasion to actually get past the cover and play this one for the first time in twenty years.

The second most striking attribute after the cover is the lyrics on the back of the record sleeve. Some choice gems here – many words to live by from the boys up north:

“where there’s a will there’s a way; every dog will have his day”.

“you better watch out, you better look around, ‘cause what goes up is gonna’ come down”

“writing on the wall – stand up and be counted; all for one and one for all”

“see tomorrow coming, shake the hand of fate. Mirror, mirror on the wall – is it all too late”

“the loser pays and the strong survive, so take your shot – give it all you can”

“I have no choice – I answer the call; I can see it, and I believe it – there is wisdom in the writing on the wall”

and no shortage of tender moments either:

“the path of least resistance has led me right to you”

“oh sweet love, you wore such a disguise: so neat love, the way I fell for your lies”

The music is pretty much what we’ve come to expect from the Triumph trio – Rik Emmett shredding his way through a couple of chords per song, off-key shrieking, and Levine alternating between his one-two bass rhythm and nondescript keyboard work. Really, Gil Moore is a decent drummer, and he probably deserves better than this.

“Never Surrender” fits the previous description, not much more to add. “When the Lights go Down” is Triumph’s version of REO Speedwagon’s much better “Back on the Road Again”, with Emmett reaching new heights of toneless singing. “Too Much Thinking”, which kinds of describes the song-writing approach of this band, carries the message that we’re all doomed and are going to die.

There’s an attempt at a soldier tribute with “Battle Cry”, then more shrieking and shredding on “All the Way”.

Apparently the band is predicting the fate of this album with “The Writing on the Wall”, and finally the album ends with the inexplicably hit single “A World of Fantasy”, a confused love song for yet another woman Emmett is both drawn to and repulsed by. With any luck she got away.

So ends another in a too long line of Triumph musical forays. I will say that with the possible exception of Thunder Seven, this is probably their finest work.

One star.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#77983) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 12, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well at least I find the bass guitar work at the opening track "Too Much Thinking" is good. The music is something similar with Germany's early Scorpions (when Uli John Roth was still in the band). This opening track rocks! It's suitable to be as album opener as the rhythm section is energetic and guitar solos are quite substantial compared to previous albums of Triumph. "A World of Fantasy" (5:03) is another blues-based music from Triumph with good interlude. "Battle Cry" is also good song from this album. When the album reaches ""Overture (Procession)" (1:54) my expectation of "prog" elements grows but when it is followed with "Never Surrender" (6:40), it's just another straight hard rock music. Nothing is different, even though it's a good song. Keep on rockin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#120975) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Thinking man's Hard Rock without too much thinking

Never Surrender is possibly Triumph's most varied yet consistent and perhaps also their most progressive album overall. Like all of Triumph's works, this is still primarily a Hard Rock album, but this time they have chosen a slightly more sophisticated approach than on most of their other albums. The band's most undemanding and generic compositions are, thankfully, not to be found on this album (but, admittedly, their most progressive song is also not here). Even in the lyrics they manage to stay away from the worst Rock 'N' Roll standards and clichés.

The album starts with Too Much Thinking which is a good melodic Hard Rock song that runs for five and a half minutes. They use this space to include some nice guitar work. Triumph can never be accused of too much thinking, but they sure know how to play their instruments. With World Of Fantasy the tempo is slowed down a bit and they deliver here dynamic song with a strong vocal performance. A Minor Prelude is a classically inspired acoustic guitar piece of the kind that has become standard on the band's albums. Being a "prelude" this, of course, leads straight into the next song, All The Way, which is the album's most straightforward rocker and easily the least interesting song here. The chorus is quite tedious both musically and lyrically ? a very typical Triumph Hard Rock number. Battle Cry is a much better song that alternates between slower and more intense passages. This will hardly blow the Prog fan away, but it is a good song in my book.

Next up is an "overture" that introduces the title track. While hardly remarkable, this Overture surely raises the expectations for the rest of the album, but anyone expecting a Prog epic will be brought down to earth with Never Surrender. Despite a the instrumental middle section, it is basically another sophisticated melodic Hard Rock song, similar in style and quality to Too Much Thinking and World Of Fantasy - good, but hardly something to write home about. When The Light Go Down is worse! It has a short, folksy acoustic intro and outro that evokes Led Zeppelin and overall it is a pretty unexciting bluesy Hard Rock number in the style of that band. As the album closer is a short, relaxing, bluesy instrumental guitar piece, the album's last proper song is Writing On The Wall which is, again, a melodic up tempo rocker.

Three stars might be seen as a rather generous rating for this album, but it is nonetheless the rating I will give as this is one of Triumph's better albums. Good, but by no means essential.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#246284) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 25, 2009

4 stars Good album Triumph's Never Surrender was an albun that I didn't really know what to think of when I first heard them. But the album didn't let me down at all. I was immensly impressed with how it started off and carried through. Too Much Thinking, A World of Fantasy, Writing on the Wall, Never ... (read more)

Report this review (#92698) | Posted by Xeroth | Saturday, September 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars For me this was a hard album to get on cd. I had it on LP but the grooves were nowhere to be seen. This is an album that you put on....and on....and on. One of the best songs ever, the title track, Never Surrender has one of the best rhythems in rock. The singing is clear, crisp. There are no ... (read more)

Report this review (#57301) | Posted by Hét LICHAAM | Monday, November 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "Never Surrender"