NEVER SURRENDER

Triumph Never Surrender album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Too Much Thinking (5:34)
2. A World of Fantasy (5:03)
3. A Minor Prelude (0:43)
4. All the Way (4:22)
5. Battle Cry (4:57)
6. Overture (Procession) (1:54)
7. Never Surrender (6:40)
8. When the Lights Go Down (5:03)
9. Writing on the Wall (3:34)
10. Epilogue (Resolution) (2:41)

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender lyrics

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender tabs

- Rik Emmett / synths, guitar, dobro, vocals
- Michael Levine / keys, bass
- Gil Moore / drums, vocals

2004 CD TRC #78006

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH Never Surrender Music

Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
TML Entertainment 2010
Allied ForcesAllied Forces
Never SurrenderNever Surrender
Just a GameJust a Game
Thunder SevenThunder Seven
Tml Entertainment 2004
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
Rock N Roll MachineRock N Roll Machine
ClassicsClassics
Tml Entertainment 2007
SurveillanceSurveillance
Progressions of PowerProgressions of Power
Warlock - Triumph & Agony CD ISLAND --FONTANA-- US $12.59 Buy It Now 49m 40s
Triumph Classics - Triumph New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.41 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Rock N' Roll Machine - Triumph New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $13.10 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Triumph:greatest Hits Remixed - Triumph New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $22.32 Buy It Now 1h 18m
TRIUMPH ALLIED FORCES JAPAN US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Triumph - Never Surrender (Mini Lp Sleeve) CD US $51.97 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Triumph - Sport Of Kings CD TML ENT. US $12.81 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Richard Arnell Punch,Lord Berners The Triumph of Neptune,Delius Paris A Nocturne US $7.94 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Triumph Just a Game -1979 RCA Attic Board game inside cover US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Triumph by The Jacksons (CD, Oct-1990, Epic (USA)) US $4.00 [0 bids]
WINTERFYLLETH - THE THRENODY OF TRIUMPH - CANDLE388CD US $17.40 Buy It Now 3h 29m
BBC Symphony Orchestra Pierre Boulez Andrew Davis - Birtwistle: The Triumph of T US $13.63 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Triumph - Live At Sweden Rock Festival CD/DVD SEALED US $16.02 Buy It Now 4h 46m
The Jacksons "Triumph" LP US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 9m
SUGARCUBES Deus 12" Single One Little Indian 1988 U.K. Pressing JOHNNY TRIUMPH US $5.95 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Triumph Jacksons E453420 Very Good Audio CD US $8.77 Buy It Now 5h 48m
EDDIE COOLEY & DIMPLES on Triumph - Leona/Be my steady - Classic R&B Group US $8.99 [0 bids]
Triumph 45 Say Goodbye PROMO COPY Mono and Stereo Version RCA Records 1981 US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
TRIUMPH / EDGE OF EXCESS / CASSETTE TAPE / VIRGIN (1992) US $8.80 Buy It Now 6h 30m
Goddess Of Desire Symbol Of Triumph CD Metal Blade Records Dutch Cult Metal Rock US $1.94 Buy It Now 6h 31m
NEREUS JOSEPH Jah Never Fail I / DEAN FRASER Adowa Triumph 7" vinyl US $9.62 Buy It Now 7h 7m
THE HISS Triumph 3 Mix CD US $8.02 Buy It Now 7h 11m
THE HISS Triumph 3 Track CD US $5.53 Buy It Now 7h 11m
The Mostar Diving Club - Triumph Of Hope - 538002502 US $9.35 Buy It Now 7h 18m
TRIUMPH ~ NEVER SURRENDER ~ 1983 Hard Rock ~ VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
METALIUM State Of Triumph Chapter Two Cd Pavement Firewind Seven Witches US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Triumph ~Stages~Double live Album~ US $8.00 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Ancora - Birtwistle: The Triumph of Time, etc / Howarth (CD, Nov-2004, NMC... US $10.58 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Allied Forces by Triumph *New CD* US $12.45 Buy It Now 8h 7m
TRIUMPH - Allied Forces - 1981 - 12" Vinyl - RCA - XFPLI-1009 - VG US $2.99 [0 bids]
"TRIUMPH" THE JACKSONS LP VG+ FAST SHIPPING US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 18m
Rhapsody Of Fire - Triumph Or Agony [CD New] US $48.89 Buy It Now 8h 18m
Manowar - Triumph Of Steel [Vinyl New] US $29.54 Buy It Now 8h 19m
TRIUMPH * NEVER SURRENDER * LP HTF US $6.00 [0 bids]
Jacksons - Triumph-Remastered [CD New] US $36.81 Buy It Now 8h 20m
TRIUMPH A World Of Fantasy b/w Too Much Thinking STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 29m
Joe Meek Work in Progress The Triumph Sessions CD 27 Rare Tracks Brand New US $16.95 Buy It Now 8h 45m
ECLIPSE Triumph Of The Pain (CD,2011) Brutal death metal/Grindcore US $13.10 Buy It Now 8h 46m
TRIUMPH-"SOMEBODY'S OUT THERE" 1986 U.S. ISSUE DOUBLE SIDED PROMO 12" SINGLE US $7.99 [0 bids]
HARD ROCK/ Triumph - Follow Your Heart (WL Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 46m
HARD ROCK/ Triumph - Spellbound (WL Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 46m
MEW * A TRIUMPH FOR MAN * VERY RARE DANISH 1ST PRESS* EXLIBRIS * EXLCD 30058 * US $99.99 [0 bids]
OF MONTREAL Triumph Of Disintegration Rare 1 Track UK CD! US $3.19 [0 bids]
HARD ROCK/ Triumph - Killing Time (WL Promo) US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 49m
TRIUMPH Child of the City w/ RARE EDIT PROMO DJ CD single 1992 USA US $34.99 Buy It Now 9h 50m
AIRTIME Liberty Manifest (1 Bonus Track) JAPAN CD New TRIUMPH RIK EMMETT US $21.99 Buy It Now 9h 52m
TRIUMPH - PROMOTIONAL ONLY - THUNDER SEVEN LP RARE CANADIAN MCA RECORDS TR-1 US $209.95 [0 bids]
Triumph or Agony by Rhapsody of Fire (CD, Dec-2006, JVC Victor) US $45.95 Buy It Now 9h 57m
Mortification-Triumph of Mercy tourniquet, extol, zao, living sacrifice horde US $4.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Thunder Seven 10 track 1984 CASSETTE TAPE US $3.99 Buy It Now 10h 14m
SPITFIRES & MAYFLOWERS - TRIUMPH-'05 CDN ISSUE -CANADIAN INDIE ROCK (TORONTO) US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 36m
ENSEMBLE ONI WYTARS**LA FOLLIA: TRIUMPH OF FOLLY**CD US $15.18 Buy It Now 10h 42m
***the triumph of man**travelers ins**new york world's fair**1964/65**7"33rpm** US $6.95 [0 bids]
OVER KILL LP Triumph Of The Mill 1985 vinyl record SST038 US $27.24 [0 bids]
Triumph Hold On Spain Import 45 With Picture Sleeve US $20.99 Buy It Now 11h 11m
DEATHSTAR**TRIUMPH **CD US $7.63 Buy It Now 11h 18m
MCA-1453 TRIUMPH Progressions Of Power OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Heavy Metal US $5.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH I live for the weekend UK 7" 45 hard rock US $3.00 [1 bids]
TRIUMPH I can survive USA promo 7" 45 hard rock US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH let the light shine on me PROMO Canada 7" 45 hard rock US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH lay it on the line USA 7" 45 hard rock US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH mind games PROMO USA 7" 45 hard rock US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH rocky mountain way Canada 7" 45 hard rock US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH a world of fantasy USA 7" 45 hard rock US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH say goodbye USA 7" 45 hard rock US $3.00 [0 bids]
AOR-COLISEUM ROCK-TRIUMPH-UNRULY CHILD-WHITE WIDDOW-BANGALORE CHOIR-CHRIS LANEY+ US $3.95 Buy It Now 11h 45m
TRIUMPH, FOLLOW YOUR HEART - PROMO 12" SINGLE US $5.00 Buy It Now 11h 48m
Winterfylleth The Threnody Of Triumph Lp Vinyl Black Metal US $24.95 Buy It Now 11h 52m
STEVE COLSON AND UNITY**TRIUMPH (COLLECTOR'S SPECIAL EDITION)**VINYL US $26.49 Buy It Now 11h 58m
Lot of 5 Rock LP Records Ted Nugent Alice Cooper Ratt Blue Oyster Cult Triumph US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Frog Eyes - Paul's Tomb: A Triumph [Vinyl New] US $23.81 Buy It Now 12h 3m
TRIUMPH JUST A GAME LP 936 US $8.99 Buy It Now 12h 5m
1987 TRIUMPH "SURVELLANCE" 12" PROMO RECORD ALBUM EX/EX US $1.99 [0 bids]
Warlock - Triumph And Agony NEW CD US $8.15 Buy It Now 12h 26m
GRADE TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY US $1.99 Buy It Now 12h 27m
TRIUMPH**NEVER SURRENDER (REMASTERED)**CD US $7.95 Buy It Now 12h 47m
HARRISON BIRTWISTLE**TRIUMPH OF TIME**CD US $11.08 Buy It Now 13h 4m
TRIUMPH OF LETHARGY**SOME OF US ARE IN THIS.. (GATEFOLD/GOLD/DLD)**2VINYLS US $25.02 Buy It Now 13h 5m
JACKSONS - TRIUMPH (IMPORT) NEW CD US $40.73 Buy It Now 14h
Triumph of the Cross music for Easter CD 2014 edition catholic music jesus mary US $4.69 Buy It Now 14h 8m

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(33%)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars I received this album on loan from my buddy as an extra with all of the early albums I had asked him for to review Triumph for the PA. I had dropped Triumph ( and a lot of 70's survivors I must admit) by this time in the 80's as totally disgusted by the rock scenes , I went on to explore jazz , jazz-rock , psych rock folk-rock of the previous decades, that I had been too young to discover.

The thing that strikes me on this album (I only heard two tracks ever before) is that they still sound a bit like Triumph but they also sound like FM rock of the times, namely Journey , Styx, REO SpeedW etc.. Even the obligatory acoustic track, is shorter by a minute than usual and serves as intro to the metallic All The Way. Some tracks drag on (Battle Cry) while others are insufferable right from the start (Lights go Down and Writing On The Wall) and their "epic" (if you can call it that) title track with its intro is downright deceiving for the old fan. But it is in term with the rest of the album: compared to their early albums, ideas are rarer and therefore stretched to last a whole song where previously you could stick four of them into a filler track. If I seem severe with Triumph, burning what I have loved before, I can only answer your angry remarks by telling you how the once mighty have fallen! I will however be king enough to round off my rating to the upper unit/star.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#51225) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Review by slipperman
2 stars I'm no fan of Triumph, but I've heard most of their albums, and have most of them here at home (I deal vinyl on eBay, so I have an "extended" library of sorts). They're entirely below-average. I also question their inclusion on this site when a band like Blue Oyster Cult are infinitely more qualified. But since I supported the inclusion of Radiohead here, I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Behold: radio rock that never gets too heavy or too wimpy, played by musicians with admittedly remarkable talents, especially drummer Gil Moore and Rik Emmett. This is Triumph, and 'Never Surrender' sees them toeing the line between their metal, AOR and hardrock leanings, never veering too far one way or the other. The album always feels too safe, stiff and a bit bland.

Their heavier material reminds me somewhat of Styx at their heaviest (and it's a fact: Styx has more heavy songs than ballads...research it, it's true!). "Writing On The Wall" and "Battle Cry", in particular, but they lack the character and spark Styx injected into their music (pre-'Cornerstone', that is). The only song I would ever want to hear again is "Never Surrender", a fairly dramatic composition that splits the difference between 'Signals'-era Rush, 'Pieces Of Eight'-era Styx and early-'80s Blue Oyster Cult. Good stuff. The rest of the material is too middle-ground for my tastes, and, as with just about all the Triumph albums, I feel like they're too conservative for prog tastes, not heavy enough for metal fans, too edgy for AOR fans, and not living up to the musicians' potential. I have a tiny bit of respect for this band and this album, which is probably their most well-rounded and accomplished, but still, who needs 'em when we have Rush and Blue Oyster Cult?

Send comments to slipperman (BETA) | Report this review (#65454) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Another classic from the golden age of Triumph. This one came out on the heels of Allied Forces, and included three hit singles on the 1983 Mainstream Rock charts in North America (note the genre of these hits – more on tat later).

The album cover is impressive enough – a cartoonish drawing of a warrior’s face mask sprouting what is apparently a profile of a phoenix above the eyes. This was contributed by Canadian artist Ken Steacy, better known for his comic book work like Orb and Johnny Quest. Today I had occasion to actually get past the cover and play this one for the first time in twenty years.

The second most striking attribute after the cover is the lyrics on the back of the record sleeve. Some choice gems here – many words to live by from the boys up north:

“where there’s a will there’s a way; every dog will have his day”.

“you better watch out, you better look around, ‘cause what goes up is gonna’ come down”

“writing on the wall – stand up and be counted; all for one and one for all”

“see tomorrow coming, shake the hand of fate. Mirror, mirror on the wall – is it all too late”

“the loser pays and the strong survive, so take your shot – give it all you can”

“I have no choice – I answer the call; I can see it, and I believe it – there is wisdom in the writing on the wall”

and no shortage of tender moments either:

“the path of least resistance has led me right to you”

“oh sweet love, you wore such a disguise: so neat love, the way I fell for your lies”

The music is pretty much what we’ve come to expect from the Triumph trio – Rik Emmett shredding his way through a couple of chords per song, off-key shrieking, and Levine alternating between his one-two bass rhythm and nondescript keyboard work. Really, Gil Moore is a decent drummer, and he probably deserves better than this.

“Never Surrender” fits the previous description, not much more to add. “When the Lights go Down” is Triumph’s version of REO Speedwagon’s much better “Back on the Road Again”, with Emmett reaching new heights of toneless singing. “Too Much Thinking”, which kinds of describes the song-writing approach of this band, carries the message that we’re all doomed and are going to die.

There’s an attempt at a soldier tribute with “Battle Cry”, then more shrieking and shredding on “All the Way”.

Apparently the band is predicting the fate of this album with “The Writing on the Wall”, and finally the album ends with the inexplicably hit single “A World of Fantasy”, a confused love song for yet another woman Emmett is both drawn to and repulsed by. With any luck she got away.

So ends another in a too long line of Triumph musical forays. I will say that with the possible exception of Thunder Seven, this is probably their finest work.

One star.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#77983) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 12, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well at least I find the bass guitar work at the opening track "Too Much Thinking" is good. The music is something similar with Germany's early Scorpions (when Uli John Roth was still in the band). This opening track rocks! It's suitable to be as album opener as the rhythm section is energetic and guitar solos are quite substantial compared to previous albums of Triumph. "A World of Fantasy" (5:03) is another blues-based music from Triumph with good interlude. "Battle Cry" is also good song from this album. When the album reaches ""Overture (Procession)" (1:54) my expectation of "prog" elements grows but when it is followed with "Never Surrender" (6:40), it's just another straight hard rock music. Nothing is different, even though it's a good song. Keep on rockin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#120975) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Thinking man's Hard Rock without too much thinking

Never Surrender is possibly Triumph's most varied yet consistent and perhaps also their most progressive album overall. Like all of Triumph's works, this is still primarily a Hard Rock album, but this time they have chosen a slightly more sophisticated approach than on most of their other albums. The band's most undemanding and generic compositions are, thankfully, not to be found on this album (but, admittedly, their most progressive song is also not here). Even in the lyrics they manage to stay away from the worst Rock 'N' Roll standards and clichés.

The album starts with Too Much Thinking which is a good melodic Hard Rock song that runs for five and a half minutes. They use this space to include some nice guitar work. Triumph can never be accused of too much thinking, but they sure know how to play their instruments. With World Of Fantasy the tempo is slowed down a bit and they deliver here dynamic song with a strong vocal performance. A Minor Prelude is a classically inspired acoustic guitar piece of the kind that has become standard on the band's albums. Being a "prelude" this, of course, leads straight into the next song, All The Way, which is the album's most straightforward rocker and easily the least interesting song here. The chorus is quite tedious both musically and lyrically ? a very typical Triumph Hard Rock number. Battle Cry is a much better song that alternates between slower and more intense passages. This will hardly blow the Prog fan away, but it is a good song in my book.

Next up is an "overture" that introduces the title track. While hardly remarkable, this Overture surely raises the expectations for the rest of the album, but anyone expecting a Prog epic will be brought down to earth with Never Surrender. Despite a the instrumental middle section, it is basically another sophisticated melodic Hard Rock song, similar in style and quality to Too Much Thinking and World Of Fantasy - good, but hardly something to write home about. When The Light Go Down is worse! It has a short, folksy acoustic intro and outro that evokes Led Zeppelin and overall it is a pretty unexciting bluesy Hard Rock number in the style of that band. As the album closer is a short, relaxing, bluesy instrumental guitar piece, the album's last proper song is Writing On The Wall which is, again, a melodic up tempo rocker.

Three stars might be seen as a rather generous rating for this album, but it is nonetheless the rating I will give as this is one of Triumph's better albums. Good, but by no means essential.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#246284) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 25, 2009

4 stars Good album Triumph's Never Surrender was an albun that I didn't really know what to think of when I first heard them. But the album didn't let me down at all. I was immensly impressed with how it started off and carried through. Too Much Thinking, A World of Fantasy, Writing on the Wall, Never ... (read more)

Report this review (#92698) | Posted by Xeroth | Saturday, September 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars For me this was a hard album to get on cd. I had it on LP but the grooves were nowhere to be seen. This is an album that you put on....and on....and on. One of the best songs ever, the title track, Never Surrender has one of the best rhythems in rock. The singing is clear, crisp. There are no ... (read more)

Report this review (#57301) | Posted by Hét LICHAAM | Monday, November 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "Never Surrender"