NEVER SURRENDER

Triumph Never Surrender album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1982

1. Too Much Thinking (5:34)
2. A World of Fantasy (5:03)
3. A Minor Prelude (0:43)
4. All the Way (4:22)
5. Battle Cry (4:57)
6. Overture (Procession) (1:54)
7. Never Surrender (6:40)
8. When the Lights Go Down (5:03)
9. Writing on the Wall (3:34)
10. Epilogue (Resolution) (2:41)

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender lyrics

Search TRIUMPH Never Surrender tabs

- Rik Emmett / synths, guitar, dobro, vocals
- Michael Levine / keys, bass
- Gil Moore / drums, vocals

2004 CD TRC #78006

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH Never Surrender Music

Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
Never SurrenderNever Surrender
Thunder SevenThunder Seven
Sport of KingsSport of Kings
Tml Entertainment 2005
Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)Live At Sweden Rock Festival (CD+DVD)
TML Entertainment 2012
Progressions of PowerProgressions of Power
Extended VersionsExtended Versions
Sbme Special Mkts. 2006
TRIUMPH - PROGRESSIONS OF POWER GLASGOW APOLLO TICKET STUB 1980 US $8.15 [0 bids]
40m 16s
TRIUMPH never surrender JAPAN LP OBI it RPL-8165 US $16.19 Buy It Now 41m 44s
TRIUMPH: Rock & Roll Machine LP (promo stamp obc, few lite cover creases, disc US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Destiny/Triumph by The Jacksons (CD, Sep-2010, 2 Discs, Sony Music... US $16.02 Buy It Now 1h 17m
VALERY KASTELSKY: Jolivet"Piano Concerto",Mannino"Triumph of love" MELODIYA LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Philip Bailey--Triumph 1986 Myrrh/A&M Vinyl LP Record Earth Wind & Fire US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Philip Bailey--Triumph 1986 Myrrh Vinyl LP Record Earth Wind & Fire US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 8m
TRIUMPH 1979 & 1982 TWO 12inch VINYLS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION PLEASE SEE SCANS US $0.82 [1 bids]
Classics - Triumph 05207084 US $12.42 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Stages (rmst) - Triumph US $12.42 Buy It Now 2h 26m
TRIUMPH -- Allied forces -- 1981 LP release US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Ascending In Triumph - Nox Aurea US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 31m
GRADE TRIUMPH AND TRAGEDY US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Deviator - To Forgotten Path-Triumph of the Will CD US $16.06 Buy It Now 2h 43m
TRIUMPH RARE 12" WHITE LABEL PROMO SINGLE FOLLOW YOUR HEART / MINT- US $2.95 Buy It Now 2h 44m
JACKSONS - DESTINY/TRIUMPH (IMPORT) NEW CD US $26.83 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Triumph Just A Game RCA Victor AFL1-3224 VG Vinyl VG+ Cover US $0.99 [1 bids]
TRIUMPH * I CAN SURVIVE & NATURE'S CHILD * 45 RPM US $9.00 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Lillian Axe Poetic Justice Cassette 1992 Heavy Hair Metal Winger Warrant Triumph US $6.29 Buy It Now 3h 22m
LP / JACKSONS / TRIUMPH (USA) US $1.99 Buy It Now 3h 25m
Rap VINYL- TRIUMPH THE INSULT COMIC DOG - I Keed - 12" Vinyl NM - Promo US $10.00 [0 bids]
Warlock - Triumph And Agony (cassette) doro pesch US $10.99 Buy It Now 4h 14m
triumph, scorpions, pat benatar, jethro tull, the police, record lot, LP lot US $60.00 [0 bids]
CHARLES MINGUS - TRIUMPH OF THE UNDERDOG NEW DVD US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 48m
1980s Vintage Bumper Stickers!! Classic Rock!! TRIUMPH!! OUTLAWS!! SAGA!! US $11.55 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH LP PROGRESSIONS OF POWER RCA 3524 US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Triumph, Rock n Roll Machine, LP US $5.00 [0 bids]
Triumph; Follow Your Heart on 45 US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 12m
TRIUMPH - PROGRESSIONS OF POWER ,lp album, EXC. "i live for the weekend" US $4.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Concert Ticket Stub 10/24/1986 Westwood One Concert @ Spectrum US $4.95 [0 bids]
20-LP LOT Van Halen UFO Blue Oyster Cult GRAND FUNK Krokus JUDAS PRIEST Triumph US $23.00 [5 bids]
MAXELL Rock II Sampler RCA LP '80 OG Cello Triumph Airplay Robert Gordon NM US $2.99 [0 bids]
1980 PROMO ARENA ROCK Triumph - Progressions of Power Demo Vinyl LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
Triumph The Jacksons Original Vinyl Record album 12" LP Excellent 33 RPM, Motown US $7.99 [0 bids]
RIK EMMETT,absolutely,RANDY COOKE,colleen allen,TRIUMPH US $6.99 Buy It Now 9h 39m
TRIUMPH " ALLIED FORCES " LP VINYL US $0.50 [0 bids]
Triumph - Rock & Roll Machine LP - Limited Edition Silver Vinyl Attic LATX 1036 US $6.99 [0 bids]
10h
Handel The Triumph of Time and Truth Darlow Fisher UK US $69.69 Buy It Now 10h 16m
TRIUMPH - Thunder Seven LP MCA SEALED co US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 45m
TRIUMPH THUNDER SEVEN RECORD LP 12" US $9.04 Buy It Now 11h 40m
TRIUMPH STAGES LIVE DOUBLE RECORD LP 12" GATEFOLD US $9.04 Buy It Now 11h 44m
Come Poop with Me [PA] by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (CD, Nov-2003) US $3.00 Buy It Now 11h 51m
A924 THE JACKSONS / TRIUMPH JAPAN CD 25.8P-5141 OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 12h
Triumph - Progressions of Power -1980 Vinyl Lp. w/ Lyrics / Hard Prog. Rock AOR US $3.99 Buy It Now 12h
WARLOCK 'Triumph And Agony' 10 song cd 1987 Doro US $4.95 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH / THUNDER SEVEN LP w/OBI Insert Orig JAPAN ISSUE US $12.99 Buy It Now 14h 6m
Triumph "Thunder Seven" 12" LP Quiex II Pressing, promo; 1980, MCA USA US $4.00 [0 bids]
GODDESS OF DESIRE - Symbol of Triumph (CD) US $15.99 Buy It Now 16h 2m
JACKSONS (US GROUP) triumph LP 9 track (32366) dutch epic 1980 US $8.15 Buy It Now 16h 9m
Triumph - Live At The Us Festival [CD New] US $12.96 Buy It Now 16h 40m
Varetta Dillard - Scorched / Good Gravy Baby - Triumph Demo 2nd US $16.32 Buy It Now 16h 57m
The Jacksons : Destiny / Triumph (2CDs) (2010) US $13.97 Buy It Now 17h 18m
TONY MIDDLETON-'COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS' ON TRIUMPH 45-600 US $10.45 Buy It Now 17h 23m
WARLOCK TRIUMPH & AGONY 1987 WEST GERMANY CD 1ST PRESS US $35.99 Buy It Now 17h 44m
Cataract : WITH TRIUMPH COMES LOSS CD (2004) US $9.76 Buy It Now 18h 24m
Progressions of Power by Triumph (Cassette, Jan-1986, MCA (USA)) US $3.75 Buy It Now 18h 30m
TRIUMPH - ROCK & ROLL MACHINE CD REMASTERED EDITION MINT US $8.95 [0 bids]
With Triumph Comes Loss by Cataract (CD, Sep-2004, Metal Blade) US $4.85 [0 bids]
Triumph - Edge Of Excess / TH Cassette US $14.99 Buy It Now 19h 53m
* TRIUMPH THE INSULT COMIC DOG -Come Poop ...[PA]CD/DVD US $1.99 Buy It Now 20h
RIK EMMETT Ipso Facto JAPAN CD OBI TRIUMPH US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 7m
RIK EMMETT The Spiral Notebook JAPAN CD OBI TRIUMPH US $19.99 Buy It Now 20h 19m
TRIUMPH STAGES 2 VINYL MASTERDISK VG+ HEAR IT US $14.00 Buy It Now 20h 36m
TRIUMPH ~ The Sport Of Kings ~ nm 12" vinyl LP with the original inner sleeve US $7.96 Buy It Now 21h 15m
xdeathstarx - Triumph (2004) US $11.41 Buy It Now 22h 17m
Kult Ov Azazel - Triumph of Fire (2004) US $9.32 Buy It Now 22h 49m
Jacksons - Destiny/Triumph [CD New] US $18.17 Buy It Now 22h 49m
Manowar: The Triumph Of Steel CD 1992 Atlantic Records 7 82423-2 Original US $8.95 Buy It Now 23h 5m
JUDAS ISCARIOT tribute CD Triumph of Evil krieg leviathan xasthur nachymystium US $8.00 Buy It Now 23h 7m
PAGAN HELLFIRE - On the Path to Triumph CD US $8.90 Buy It Now 23h 15m
Cataract - With Triumph Comes Loss (2004) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $10.95 Buy It Now 23h 48m
Triumph Sealed MCA 2LP Live Hype Sticker US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH ALLIED FORCES ORIGINAL 1981 LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH-"I LIVE FOR THE WEEKEND" 1980 U.K. ISSUE 12" SINGLE-EXCELLENT COND VINYL US $7.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH-"SOMEBODY'S OUT THERE" 1986 U.S. ISSUE DOUBLE SIDED PROMO 12" SINGLE US $7.99 [0 bids]
A TRANSACORD RECORDING The Triumph Of An A4 Pacific +Insert ARGO 1963 US $16.31 Buy It Now 1 day
OVER KILL LP Triumph Of The Mill 1985 vinyl record SST038 US $31.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH The Sport of Kings CD 1986 MEGA RARE OOP ORIG 1st PRESS JAPAN-for-USA!!! US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE JACKSONS (w/MICHAEL JACKSON) "triumph" 1980 Holland 1st vinyl record LP *ex- US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph/The Sport of Kings/Cassette/Canada/VG++ HEAR US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Godless Rising-Trumpet of Triumph CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
410 864-1 Brahms Alto Rhapsody & Song Of Triumph Fassbaender Brendel / Sinopli US $16.31 Buy It Now 1 day
Never Surrender - Triumph (CD 1987) Original MCA Release Japan for U.S. NRMT US $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Come Poop with Me [PA] by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (CD, Nov-2003, Warner... US $0.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH: Follow Your Heart + 1 (SS/OOP/1984/USA/LTD RED VINYL/PS/SINGLE) US $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
JACKSON 5 MICHAEL JACKSON, TRIUMPH - LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
WU TANG CLAN "TRIUMPH 12 ORIG US NEAR MINT RAEKWON RZA GZA GHOSTFACE FOREVER US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
45 EDDIE COOLEY & DIMPLES LEONA/BE MY STEADY TRIUMPH 45-609 GOOD + US $2.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH, EDGE OF EXCESS, JAPAN, OBI, 1992, ORG, ¥2.500, VICP-5243, RARE! US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Steve Colson And The Unity Troupe - Triumph! NEW LP US $22.90 Buy It Now 1 day
TRIUMPH - NEVER SURRENDER LP 1983 VG++ VINYL US $4.83 [0 bids]
Sheila Walsh--Triumph In The Air 1984 XIAN CCM Vinyl LP - Columbia House Press US $10.50 Buy It Now 1 day
NOX AUREA - ASCENDING IN TRIUMPH - NEW CD US $2.15 Buy It Now 1 day
Original TRIUMPH ALLIED FORCES LP 1981 RCA RECORDS (AFL 1-390-B) US $0.99 [0 bids]
PAUL T. MORRIS - THE DAY THEY BUSTED SANTA CLAUS - TRIUMPH 45 US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
xDeathstarx-The Triumph Christian Metalcore first album remixed remastered! US $3.99 [0 bids]
VARIOUS youth for christ songs of triumph and joy LP VG+ WST 8564 Vinyl Record US $7.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Down Time by Theo (CD, Aug-2000, 2 Discs, Triumph) US $1.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Berners,Berners,Wordsworth,Berners,Berners,Wordsworth,Rlpo : Triumph of Neptune US $10.48 Buy It Now 1 day
Trailerhead:triumph - Immediate US $12.49 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(12%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(31%)

TRIUMPH Never Surrender reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
2 stars I received this album on loan from my buddy as an extra with all of the early albums I had asked him for to review Triumph for the PA. I had dropped Triumph ( and a lot of 70's survivors I must admit) by this time in the 80's as totally disgusted by the rock scenes , I went on to explore jazz , jazz-rock , psych rock folk-rock of the previous decades, that I had been too young to discover.

The thing that strikes me on this album (I only heard two tracks ever before) is that they still sound a bit like Triumph but they also sound like FM rock of the times, namely Journey , Styx, REO SpeedW etc.. Even the obligatory acoustic track, is shorter by a minute than usual and serves as intro to the metallic All The Way. Some tracks drag on (Battle Cry) while others are insufferable right from the start (Lights go Down and Writing On The Wall) and their "epic" (if you can call it that) title track with its intro is downright deceiving for the old fan. But it is in term with the rest of the album: compared to their early albums, ideas are rarer and therefore stretched to last a whole song where previously you could stick four of them into a filler track. If I seem severe with Triumph, burning what I have loved before, I can only answer your angry remarks by telling you how the once mighty have fallen! I will however be king enough to round off my rating to the upper unit/star.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#51225) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Review by slipperman
2 stars I'm no fan of Triumph, but I've heard most of their albums, and have most of them here at home (I deal vinyl on eBay, so I have an "extended" library of sorts). They're entirely below-average. I also question their inclusion on this site when a band like Blue Oyster Cult are infinitely more qualified. But since I supported the inclusion of Radiohead here, I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Behold: radio rock that never gets too heavy or too wimpy, played by musicians with admittedly remarkable talents, especially drummer Gil Moore and Rik Emmett. This is Triumph, and 'Never Surrender' sees them toeing the line between their metal, AOR and hardrock leanings, never veering too far one way or the other. The album always feels too safe, stiff and a bit bland.

Their heavier material reminds me somewhat of Styx at their heaviest (and it's a fact: Styx has more heavy songs than ballads...research it, it's true!). "Writing On The Wall" and "Battle Cry", in particular, but they lack the character and spark Styx injected into their music (pre-'Cornerstone', that is). The only song I would ever want to hear again is "Never Surrender", a fairly dramatic composition that splits the difference between 'Signals'-era Rush, 'Pieces Of Eight'-era Styx and early-'80s Blue Oyster Cult. Good stuff. The rest of the material is too middle-ground for my tastes, and, as with just about all the Triumph albums, I feel like they're too conservative for prog tastes, not heavy enough for metal fans, too edgy for AOR fans, and not living up to the musicians' potential. I have a tiny bit of respect for this band and this album, which is probably their most well-rounded and accomplished, but still, who needs 'em when we have Rush and Blue Oyster Cult?

Send comments to slipperman (BETA) | Report this review (#65454) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Another classic from the golden age of Triumph. This one came out on the heels of Allied Forces, and included three hit singles on the 1983 Mainstream Rock charts in North America (note the genre of these hits – more on tat later).

The album cover is impressive enough – a cartoonish drawing of a warrior’s face mask sprouting what is apparently a profile of a phoenix above the eyes. This was contributed by Canadian artist Ken Steacy, better known for his comic book work like Orb and Johnny Quest. Today I had occasion to actually get past the cover and play this one for the first time in twenty years.

The second most striking attribute after the cover is the lyrics on the back of the record sleeve. Some choice gems here – many words to live by from the boys up north:

“where there’s a will there’s a way; every dog will have his day”.

“you better watch out, you better look around, ‘cause what goes up is gonna’ come down”

“writing on the wall – stand up and be counted; all for one and one for all”

“see tomorrow coming, shake the hand of fate. Mirror, mirror on the wall – is it all too late”

“the loser pays and the strong survive, so take your shot – give it all you can”

“I have no choice – I answer the call; I can see it, and I believe it – there is wisdom in the writing on the wall”

and no shortage of tender moments either:

“the path of least resistance has led me right to you”

“oh sweet love, you wore such a disguise: so neat love, the way I fell for your lies”

The music is pretty much what we’ve come to expect from the Triumph trio – Rik Emmett shredding his way through a couple of chords per song, off-key shrieking, and Levine alternating between his one-two bass rhythm and nondescript keyboard work. Really, Gil Moore is a decent drummer, and he probably deserves better than this.

“Never Surrender” fits the previous description, not much more to add. “When the Lights go Down” is Triumph’s version of REO Speedwagon’s much better “Back on the Road Again”, with Emmett reaching new heights of toneless singing. “Too Much Thinking”, which kinds of describes the song-writing approach of this band, carries the message that we’re all doomed and are going to die.

There’s an attempt at a soldier tribute with “Battle Cry”, then more shrieking and shredding on “All the Way”.

Apparently the band is predicting the fate of this album with “The Writing on the Wall”, and finally the album ends with the inexplicably hit single “A World of Fantasy”, a confused love song for yet another woman Emmett is both drawn to and repulsed by. With any luck she got away.

So ends another in a too long line of Triumph musical forays. I will say that with the possible exception of Thunder Seven, this is probably their finest work.

One star.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#77983) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 12, 2006

Review by Gatot
2 stars Well at least I find the bass guitar work at the opening track "Too Much Thinking" is good. The music is something similar with Germany's early Scorpions (when Uli John Roth was still in the band). This opening track rocks! It's suitable to be as album opener as the rhythm section is energetic and guitar solos are quite substantial compared to previous albums of Triumph. "A World of Fantasy" (5:03) is another blues-based music from Triumph with good interlude. "Battle Cry" is also good song from this album. When the album reaches ""Overture (Procession)" (1:54) my expectation of "prog" elements grows but when it is followed with "Never Surrender" (6:40), it's just another straight hard rock music. Nothing is different, even though it's a good song. Keep on rockin' ..!

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#120975) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, May 07, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Thinking man's Hard Rock without too much thinking

Never Surrender is possibly Triumph's most varied yet consistent and perhaps also their most progressive album overall. Like all of Triumph's works, this is still primarily a Hard Rock album, but this time they have chosen a slightly more sophisticated approach than on most of their other albums. The band's most undemanding and generic compositions are, thankfully, not to be found on this album (but, admittedly, their most progressive song is also not here). Even in the lyrics they manage to stay away from the worst Rock 'N' Roll standards and clichés.

The album starts with Too Much Thinking which is a good melodic Hard Rock song that runs for five and a half minutes. They use this space to include some nice guitar work. Triumph can never be accused of too much thinking, but they sure know how to play their instruments. With World Of Fantasy the tempo is slowed down a bit and they deliver here dynamic song with a strong vocal performance. A Minor Prelude is a classically inspired acoustic guitar piece of the kind that has become standard on the band's albums. Being a "prelude" this, of course, leads straight into the next song, All The Way, which is the album's most straightforward rocker and easily the least interesting song here. The chorus is quite tedious both musically and lyrically ? a very typical Triumph Hard Rock number. Battle Cry is a much better song that alternates between slower and more intense passages. This will hardly blow the Prog fan away, but it is a good song in my book.

Next up is an "overture" that introduces the title track. While hardly remarkable, this Overture surely raises the expectations for the rest of the album, but anyone expecting a Prog epic will be brought down to earth with Never Surrender. Despite a the instrumental middle section, it is basically another sophisticated melodic Hard Rock song, similar in style and quality to Too Much Thinking and World Of Fantasy - good, but hardly something to write home about. When The Light Go Down is worse! It has a short, folksy acoustic intro and outro that evokes Led Zeppelin and overall it is a pretty unexciting bluesy Hard Rock number in the style of that band. As the album closer is a short, relaxing, bluesy instrumental guitar piece, the album's last proper song is Writing On The Wall which is, again, a melodic up tempo rocker.

Three stars might be seen as a rather generous rating for this album, but it is nonetheless the rating I will give as this is one of Triumph's better albums. Good, but by no means essential.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#246284) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 25, 2009

4 stars Good album Triumph's Never Surrender was an albun that I didn't really know what to think of when I first heard them. But the album didn't let me down at all. I was immensly impressed with how it started off and carried through. Too Much Thinking, A World of Fantasy, Writing on the Wall, Never ... (read more)

Report this review (#92698) | Posted by Xeroth | Saturday, September 30, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars For me this was a hard album to get on cd. I had it on LP but the grooves were nowhere to be seen. This is an album that you put on....and on....and on. One of the best songs ever, the title track, Never Surrender has one of the best rhythems in rock. The singing is clear, crisp. There are no ... (read more)

Report this review (#57301) | Posted by Hét LICHAAM | Monday, November 21, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "Never Surrender"