THUNDER SEVEN

Collectors/fans only

Buy TRIUMPH Music
Studio Album, released in 1984

1. Spellbound (5:14)
2. Rock Out, Roll On (5:17)
3. Cool Down (4:50)
4. Follow Your Heart (3:35)
5. Time Goes By (6:02)
6. Midsummer's Daydream (1:40)
7. Time Canon (1:33)
8. Killing Time (4:17)
9. Stranger in a Strange Land (5:13)
10. Little Boy Blues (3:38)

Total Time: (40:51)

Search TRIUMPH Thunder Seven lyrics

Search TRIUMPH Thunder Seven tabs

- Rik Emmett / guitar, vocals
- Michael Levine / bass, keys
- Gil Moore / drums, vocals

2004 CD TRC #78007

Thanks to Retrovertigo for the addition

TRIUMPH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRIUMPH Thunder Seven Music

Allied ForcesAllied Forces
Just a GameJust a Game
Never SurrenderNever Surrender
Tml Entertainment 2004
Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)Greatest Hits Remixed (CD + DVD)
CD+DVD
Extra tracks · Limited Edition
Tml Entertainment 2003
StagesStages
Tml Entertainment 2004
Triumph "Thunder Seven" 12" LP Quiex II Pressing, promo; 1980, MCA USA US $4.00 [0 bids]
33m 9s
Triumph Just a Game 1979 Re-Issue Press, Ultrasonic Cleaned! Sounds Fantastic! US $5.99 [0 bids]
42m 34s
Triumph Never Surrender 10 track 1983 CASSETTE TAPE US $4.99 Buy It Now 49m 30s
TRIUMPH Stages CANADA HARD ROCK MCA CD JAPAN 1985 US $16.80 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Progressions of Power - Triumph (Cassette 1986, MCA) in NM US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Classics by Triumph (CD, 1989 MCA Records) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Triumph - Thunder Seven (Vinyl, 1984) NM US $5.99 [0 bids]
The Sport Of Kings - Triumph (Cassette 1987) in NM US $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 30m
TRIUMPH - SURVEILLANCE NEW CD US $14.61 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Come Poop with Me [PA] by Triumph the Insult Comic Dog (CD, Nov-2003, Warner Bro US $3.95 Buy It Now 2h 11m
TRIUMPH surveillance LP Record SEALED 1987 US $42.50 Buy It Now 2h 15m
TRIUMPH - Self-Titled 1st LP ORIG 1976 Canadian Press ORIG INNER SLV! EXC! US $9.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH 2000 MK3 OUT THERE UK 7" *NEW* SPACEMEN 3 US $10.74 Buy It Now 2h 41m
World's Fair NY 1964-1965, Triumph of Man, Travelers Insurance red vinyl record US $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 43m
triumph never surrender record US $2.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - SOMEBODY'S OUT THERE / What Rules My Heart - 1986 Vinyl 45'Pic.sleeve US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
triumph just a game record US $2.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH Never Surrender CD MCAD 31069 Manufactured in Japan 1983 US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
BAD COMPANY TICKET STUB FROM LEWISTON NY 7-16-2013 CONCERT FLOYD TRIUMPH RUSH US $1.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH: FOLLOW YOUR HEART / STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND 45 RPM LIMITED RED VINYL US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 24m
TRIUMPH: SOMEBODY'S OUT THERE/WHAT RULES MY HEART RIK EMMETT HARD ROCK US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 24m
TRIUMPH: SPELLBOUND / COOL DOWN 45 RPM HARD ROCK HAIR METAL US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 25m
Triumph Stages CD (1985, MCA, CD Made in Japan!) RARE / OOP US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
TRIUMPH "NM WAX" Thunder Seven 1984 Japan Press OBI LP e3462 US $79.99 Buy It Now 4h 51m
TRIUMPH "THUNDER SEVEN" LP RARE FRENCH PRESSING GEMA/BIEM 251 631-1 AWESOME US $5.99 [0 bids]
CHARLES MINGUS - TRIUMPH OF THE UNDERDOG NEW DVD US $25.68 Buy It Now 5h 22m
Rock & Roll Machine [Remaster] by Triumph (CD, Apr-2005, TML Entertainment Inc.) US $6.17 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Progressions of Power [Remaster] by Triumph (CD, Apr-2005, TRC Distribution) US $6.16 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Surveillance by Triumph (CD, Jun-2005, TRC Distribution) US $6.47 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Greatest Hits: Remixed by Triumph (CD, May-2010, 2 Discs, TML Entertainment... US $12.72 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Triumph *GUITAR TABS* Lesson Software CD - ( 9 Songs ) US $7.65 [0 bids]
ANDY J. FOREST - NOTOWN STORY: THE TRIUMPH OF TURMOIL NEW CD US $28.34 Buy It Now 6h 51m
With Triumph Comes Loss by Cataract (CD, Sep-2004, Metal Blade) US $3.85 Buy It Now 7h 25m
TRIUMPH - S/T (ROCK AND ROLL MACHINE) UK PRESS WITH DIFFERENT COVER US $10.00 Buy It Now 8h 33m
Triumph - Allied Forces CD US $17.74 Buy It Now 9h 33m
Triumph - Rock & Roll Machine (Mini Lp Sleeve) CD US $49.53 Buy It Now 10h 32m
Triumph - Live At The Sweden Ro CD US $35.66 Buy It Now 10h 36m
TRIUMPH rock & roll machine self titled PL 12982 A1E/B2E uk rca 1978 LP PS EX/EX US $15.18 Buy It Now 10h 40m
TRIUMPH progressions of power PL13524 A1U/B1U 1st press uk rca 1980 LP PS VG/EX- US $15.18 Buy It Now 10h 41m
Handel: The Triumph of Time and Truth US $20.56 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Jacksons : CD(Japan Only MINI LP) - Triumph - Jackson 5 / Michael Jackson US $29.99 Buy It Now 11h 6m
TRIUMPH - SURVEILLANCE [TRIUMPH] - NEW CD US $8.30 Buy It Now 11h 41m
Colson,Steve & The Unity Troup Triumph! CD (UK Import) NEW US $14.59 Buy It Now 11h 53m
HANDEL, GEORGE FRIDE - HANDEL: THE TRIUMPH OF TIME AND TRUTH - NEW CD BOXSET US $16.41 Buy It Now 11h 55m
TRIUMPH -"NEVER SURRENDER" RCA -1983 - AFL1-4382 - NM/EX Orig. Sleeve Rik Emmett US $5.75 Buy It Now 11h 55m
F*cked Up - Triumph of Life UK JUKEBOX 7" BLACK VINYL US $11.80 Buy It Now 12h 28m
Borisova-Ollas,V. - Triumph Of Heaven [CD New] US $14.57 Buy It Now 12h 41m
TRIUMPH EDGE OF EXCESS & SURVEILLANCE 2 CASSETTES READ NOTES NOINSERTS WITH CASE US $1.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH: Never Say Never metal PROMO vinyl single US $14.00 Buy It Now 14h
TRIUMPH-ALLIED FORCES-JAPAN Ltd.Ed MINI LP CD 0512 Fi83 US $35.50 Buy It Now 14h 55m
Frog Eyes Paul's Tomb: A Triumph CD (UK Import) NEW US $13.33 Buy It Now 15h 19m
HOT SHOWER v/a LP nMINT UK 1981 RCA Budgie Hawkwind Slade Triumph US $13.49 Buy It Now 15h 21m
King Sunny Ade & His New African Beats - Triumph LP 1992 AFROBEAT!! US $11.80 [0 bids]
Guttler, Ludwig:corno de cac-TRIUMPH OF THE CORNO DA CACCIA (JEWL) CD NEW US $15.69 Buy It Now 15h 44m
The Triumph Of Man/World's Fair 1964-65/Travelers Insurance Company/33 RPM US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE QUILL - In Triumph (CD 2006) SPV/Steamhammer sealed Stoner Spiritual Beggars US $16.99 Buy It Now 16h 56m
TRIUMPH ''STAGES'' DOUBLE LIVE ALBUM UK (Vinyl Album) 1985 MCA RECORDS US $2.00 [0 bids]
STEVE COLSON & THE UNITY TROUPE - TRIUMPH NEW CD US $36.71 Buy It Now 17h 22m
xDEATHSTARx - The Triumph (CD, 2008, Facedown Records) Hardcore, Deathstar, NEW US $5.99 Buy It Now 17h 22m
Iron Fire / Blade of Triumph JAPAN+2 Helloween Gamma Ray OOP!!!!!! D US $34.99 Buy It Now 17h 31m
Triumph - Surveillance [CD New] US $9.41 Buy It Now 17h 47m
RARE OOP NOURISH THE FLAME TRIAL INTO TRIUMPH RARE OOP CD LOOK US $19.99 [0 bids]
@ CD Blood4 - Warning METAL JAPANESE PRESS + OBI CONCERTO MOON TRIUMPH 2006 SS US $24.99 Buy It Now 18h 4m
TRIUMPH - NEVER SURRENDER , RCA 1983 , EX/EX ,LP US $6.67 Buy It Now 18h 12m
NOX AUREA-ASCENDING IN TRIUMPH-RARE ADVANCE PROMO CD-DOOM DEATH METAL-2010 US $3.00 [0 bids]
Manowar Triumph Of Steel CD First USA pressing color picture disc US $14.99 Buy It Now 18h 22m
IRON FIRE 2007 CD - Blade Of Triumph - Force Of Evil/Cryonic Temple/StormWarrior US $4.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH-FOLLOW YOUR HEART/STRANGER LIMITED EDITION RED VINYL 45+PS US $8.98 Buy It Now 18h 33m
THE CHALLENGERS GO SIDEWALK SURFING LP TRIUMPH RECORDS MONO 723 US $35.99 Buy It Now 18h 50m
UNKNOWN PEOPLE - TRIUMPH (EP) NEW CD US $21.10 Buy It Now 18h 54m
TRIUMPH "Stages" 2 x Lp PROMO (Canadian Press) NM/NM Goldstamp Gatefold sleeve US $27.56 [0 bids]
Metalium: State Of Triumph - Chapter Two CD 2000 2 Massacre MAS DP0243 Digipak US $9.95 Buy It Now 19h 8m
Triumph, Jacksons, New US $7.34 Buy It Now 19h 14m
Helcaraxe Triumph And Revenge Funebarum Skydom Father Befouled US $4.99 [0 bids]
Winterfylleth The Threnody of Triumph (CD, Sep-2012, Candlelight) US $12.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Just a Game AFL1-3224 Record Vinyl LP US $1.99 [0 bids]
AOR-COLISEUM ROCK-TRIUMPH-UNRULY CHILD-WHITE WIDDOW-BANGALORE CHOIR-CHRIS LANEY+ US $3.00 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - Live at Sweden ROCK Festival Ltd Classic ROCK DVD+CD-Issue/SEALED/NEW US $8.21 [6 bids]
Overkill L.A. "Triumph Of The Will" 1992 SST Used CD/ Merrill Ward / SWA US $6.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH-"SOMEBODY'S OUT THERE" 1986 U.S. ISSUE DOUBLE SIDED PROMO 12" SINGLE US $7.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH-"I LIVE FOR THE WEEKEND" 1980 U.K. ISSUE 12" SINGLE-EXCELLENT COND VINYL US $7.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH TWO RECORD DEAL VINYL LP'S US $16.00 Buy It Now 20h 47m
TRIUMPH/thunder seven/1984 quiex II audiophile pressling lp US $35.99 Buy It Now 21h 13m
Grand Belial's Key Triumph of the Hordes Demo Tape OFFICIAL PAGAN RECORDS US $19.99 [0 bids]
Triumph Thunder Seven 1984 RCA Records ALBUM US $1.99 [0 bids]
Mortification-Triumph Of Mercy CASSETTE FREE SHIPPING (Brand New-Sealed) US $5.49 Buy It Now 21h 58m
Triumph - Just A Game (AFL1-3224) US $6.97 Buy It Now 21h 59m
Classics by Triumph (CD, Sep-1995, TRC Distribution) US $9.99 Buy It Now 22h 24m
Victoria De Los Angeles - Der Dezente Triumph [CD New] US $47.99 Buy It Now 22h 45m
VI ~ Triumph Of Death - UK 7" EP w/Picture Sleeve - Punk Thrash Metal - IMPORT US $5.99 [1 bids]
TRIUMPH OF THE SPIRIT - JEFFREY ALLAN FISHER - MINT CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 22h 50m
MANOWAR-The Triumph Of Steel JAPAN+OBI AMCY-474 CD 1st Jap Press US $6.66 [3 bids]
Triumph 7" 45 PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY Hold On RCA 1979 Just A Game US $10.00 Buy It Now 23h 4m
NEW YORK WORLDS FAIR 1964' 65 TRIUMPH OF MAN RECORD US $20.00 Buy It Now 23h 17m
13 CD 1 DVD MUSIC LOT TRAVIS BSB BULLA TRIUMPH ADAMS WYATT NARADA GUITAR US $19.99 [0 bids]
TRIUMPH - ALLIED FORCES - NEW CD US $7.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph CASSETTE NEW Stages US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Triumph CASSETTE NEW The Sport Of Kings US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
triumph never surrender lp vinyl vintage record afl1-4382 US $4.99 [0 bids]
SOUNDCLASH: UNDO (UK 2CD ALBUM UNMIXED + MIXED) Triumph 2000*Funki Porcini etc US $5.05 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy TRIUMPH music online Buy TRIUMPH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRIUMPH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRIUMPH Thunder Seven ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(11%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(34%)

TRIUMPH Thunder Seven reviews

Review by slipperman
1 stars I hate to come down so hard on these guys, but if Triumph are going to be included on this site, they need to come under serious scrutiny. I don't even intend to judge them as a prog band (after all, they are placed in the prog-related category), but on their own merits.

Side 1 offers up 3 songs that veer uncomfortably between wimpy AOR and watered- down lite-metal. The other song on the side, "Cool Down", is a 3rd rate Led Zeppelin-ish rocker, having no more reason to exist than Fastway and Kingdom Come (two other bands who borrowed liberally from L.Z.). There's no real ambition to write original tunes, as many of these ideas sound very familiar, even if FM radio rock isn't your thing. The only difference is that these songs never wore out their welcome on radio.

The second side doesn't get any better. "Time Goes By" shows Rik Emmett sounding very close to Geddy Lee, vocally, and though he always got the comparisons, sometimes it was unfair to both men. Not here. The song is actually the best on the album, with an ambitious arrangement and excellent guitar solo, but it's a dim light in a mire of terrible songs. Two shorts segues follow: a classical guitar exercise, and the a capella "Time Canon", which might've been impressive if we hadn't heard this done a million times better by Gentle Giant (and Queen in "The Prophet Song"). And that's where the prog relation begins and ends, as the final three tracks take us back to the genericness of the first side.

There's so much talent here, but I'm sorry, I just don't "get" Triumph and I probably never will. I've come into contact with their music several times in the last 25 years and I have to sympathize with Rush that this Canadian trio used to get dubbed as a "poor man's Rush" from some critics...that's just insulting to Rush. The album cover's pretty cool though.

Send comments to slipperman (BETA) | Report this review (#65513) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2006

Review by greenback
4 stars This record is probably among the Triumph's best ones! It is a sophisticated hard rock that is nevertheless quite accessible. Regarding the question "Is this record progressive?", it is obviously not really progressive, although there are some very light prog related elements. The lead singer has a tone between Journey's Steve Perry and Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant. Speaking of Journey, I think the overall music has resemblances too; it also sounds a bit like hard rock band Night Ranger, at least the bass and the backing vocals arrangements. There are some good background synthesizers and the drums patterns are often varied and fast: those 2 elements certainly avoid this record to abruptly fall into a deja vu hard rock style. Some acoustic guitar bits again bring some variety to the whole: for instance, the acoustic instrumental track "Midsummer's Daydream" proves that Rik Emmet is a VERY talented guitarist. The impressive "Time Canon" reminds a simplified Gentle Giant's vocals canon. The 2 next songs are very slightly progressive, and the record finishes with a very good sentimental bluesy track with very impressive & insistent guitar solos.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#72264) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 18, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars I was stuck at a stoplight today and had the car window down trying to enjoy a gorgeous afternoon. The guy in the car next to me also had his window down, and was lip-synching away to his CD player, out of which was blaring “Spellbound”. Took me back all the way to my college days when this album came out and I had to listen to several of these songs on the only half-decent radio station in our town at the time. I realized that I hadn’t played it in over twenty years, and considering the totally crappy day I had today and fighting the desire to throw myself in front of a train, I decided to throw on my very old copy of Thunder Seven instead. After that I find myself thinking that there are still a couple of trains that run yet tonight.

“Spellbound” always struck me as rock-in-a-can, even back in the 80s. Rik Emmett has by far the most annoying metal voice I’ve ever heard, and he seems to have no real ability to stay in tune for more than a couple of notes in a row. Also, I get the impression these guys are mouthing the timing of the tempo to each other in studio when they record, or at least that’s the way this plodding song sounds.

“Rock Out, Roll On” – well, ‘nuff said.

On “Follow Your Heart” Emmett's voice is actually sort of okay for the most part, probably because he shares the vocals with drummer Gil Moore who makes Emmett sound good. The sentiment of the lyrics is pretty typical Triumph stuff – chip on the shoulder, go kick ass in the world and don’t let 'the man' deny you your dreams. Yeah team – go, fight, win! The random high-hat cymbals just seem gratuitous, and the bass has no synchronization with the rest of the song at all.

I guess “Time Goes By” is supposed to be the sort-of ballad, with strangled-cat harmonized vocals and occasional mellow passages, but the overall theme seems to be ‘I’m getting old and I need a chick’ or something to that effect. Nice little guitar solo in the middle though – props to Emmett for that.

“Midsummer’s Daydream” is a brief respite from the onslaught, where Emmett treats us to a short acoustic instrumental that I felt like copying a dozen times or so and using to overwrite the rest of the cassette. “Time Canon” is some sort of barbershop quartet lame knockoff of Spock’s Beard’s “June” I guess, but it’s so out of place and abrupt it actually creeped me out the first couple times I heard it.

“Stranger in a Strange Land” starts off as a pretty decent blues rocker, but for some inexplicable reason someone turns on Emmett’s mike and it pretty much goes downhill from there. There’s a part in the middle of this where he tries to hold a sustained screech of a vocal and my cats actually drag themselves off the floor and leave the room. Both of them!

“Little Boy Blues” is a pretty decent soft bluesy instrumental to close the album. Like “Midsummer’s Daydream”, if the boys would have just extended this to the length of the whole album then the thing would have been a much better offering, perhaps even listenable.

As it is, I know that many fans of the band believe this to be their best studio work. I agree. One star.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#82196) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars If only the music was as great as the cover art!

Thunder Seven is, as its title implies, Triumph's seventh studio album. It is a very uneven album with some good moments and many that can be described as mundane and generic. Thunder Seven is also one of Triumph's most eclectic albums. Spellbound has a rather commercial sound with a catchy chorus clearly geared towards radio play. Rock Out, Roll On could perhaps have been a better song than it is with a better chorus and particularly with better lyrics. The lyrics are deadly uninteresting and standard on almost the whole album. Cool Down is a bluesy rocker that sounds like a total Led Zeppelin rip off. The vocals even sound very much like Robert Plant. Like in Led Zeppelin's music there is also a slight Folk influence manifested here in an acoustic break.

Next up is a Pop Metal song with a forgettable chorus and, again, basic Rock 'N' Roll lyrics. All these straightforward Hard Rock songs are becoming quite tiresome at this point and anyone who would have given up on Thunder Seven after its first four songs might be forgiven. But it gets better! Time Goes By is actually a very good song and here the vocals strongly evoke Steve Perry of Journey. Still even this song will probably not impress the average Prog Rock fan despite its strong melody and its Ritchie Blackmore-like, Neo-Classical solo! Still, it is easily the album's best song.

You cannot accuse Triumph of being original as they often sound like other bands. But they do have a tendency to surprise you when you least expect it! The can create whole albums of boring Hard Rock and then, suddenly, glimpses of creativity and progressive attitude flashes by. On this album these bright moments are represented first by Rik Emmet's Midsummer's Night Dream which is a gorgeous acoustic guitar piece that could have been written and played by Steve Howe or Steve Hackett. This is followed with Time Canon which is an a cappella number full of Queen/Gentle Giant-like harmony vocals! This then leads into the average semi-ballad Killing Time. This song would have fitted perfectly on one of Journey's worst albums! Stranger In A Strange Land is another quite good song with good guitar work and vocals, even the lyrics are decent here. But again, this will certainly not blow the Prog fan away. The album ends with the bluesy instrumental Little Boy Blues.

With several songs about time, you might perhaps say that this album is partly a very loose concept album about time. It has a few good songs and a few short moments showing a progressive mindset. Sadly, the large majority of the material is straightforward and mundane Hard Rock numbers. Triumph never made a great album, but they made better ones than Thunder Seven, both before and after.

Only for fans and collectors

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#246286) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 25, 2009

2 stars It's a pity to see Triumph on this esteemed site, a pity because for all the talent in the band and greatness in the music there is hardly a shred of progressive music to be found in their catalogue, aside from Rik Emmett's classical guitar compositions and a few other musical tricks here and ... (read more)

Report this review (#836272) | Posted by FragileKings | Thursday, October 11, 2012 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Triumph is not prog. Let's just get that out there right now. Maybe they should be on this site, maybe they shouldn't. I'm not going to let an argument of "what is prog?" get in the way of reviewing this album though. Here's what you need to know: Triumph is essentially a mix of Led Zeppelin and ... (read more)

Report this review (#263849) | Posted by KansasRushDream | Monday, February 01, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Some guys may think that I'm exaggerating giving this album 4 stars, but believe me, I'm not!!! This is what the best we can find in Art Rock: songs perfectly executed, full of emotion and with a fine touch of Prog Rock here and there... The combination of the melodic voice of Rik Emmett and t ... (read more)

Report this review (#51365) | Posted by herbie53 | Wednesday, October 12, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRIUMPH "Thunder Seven"