STARLIGHT DANCER

Kayak Starlight Dancer album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy KAYAK Music
Studio Album, released in 1977

1. Daughter or son (3:38)
2. Starlight dancer (4:59)
3. Want you to be mine (3:38)
4. Letdown (2:49)
5. Irene (4:24)
6. Golddust (2:39)
7. May (4:42)
8. Turn the tide (3:36)
9. Dead bird flies forever (4:18)
10. Sweet revenge (3:33)
11. Where do we go from here? (4:40)

Search KAYAK Starlight Dancer lyrics

Search KAYAK Starlight Dancer tabs

- Ton Scherpenzeel / pianos, synthesizer, organ, harpsichord, vocals
- Charles Louis Schouten / drums, percussion, marimba, vocals
- Johan Slager / guitars, vocals
- Max Werner / Mellotrons, percussion, vocals
- Theo de Jong / bass guitar

Guest musicians:
- Fred Leeflang / soprano saxophone (5)
- Rick van der Linden / Yamaha GX1 synthesizer (6)

LP Vertigo 6360 856 (Netherlands, 1977)

Thanks to Joren for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

KAYAK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYAK Starlight Dancer Music

Universal Int'l 2003
Phantom Of The Night: The Very BestPhantom Of The Night: The Very Best
RENAISSANCE 2009
Kayak - Phantom Of The Night (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $35.44 Buy It Now 1h 5m
KAYAK LP PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT JANUS WHITE LABEL PROMO US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT VERTIGO 45 IMPORT FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIP US $8.99 Buy It Now 3h 35m
KAYAK "Royal Bed Bouncer" Original LP NICE COPY US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Kayak Lp Phantom Of The Night Never opened in Shrink Original Press US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 22m
2 LPs~KAYAK~Starlight Dancer~Phantom of the Night US $8.99 [0 bids]
CD-Kayak-The Very Best of dutch prog psych US $8.99 [0 bids]
Kayak "Phantom Of The Night" 1979 Janus Promo LP US $3.99 Buy It Now 11h 4m
Kayak: Ivory Dance / Keep the Change [Unplayed Copy] US $11.97 Buy It Now 11h 11m
KAYAK "Starlight Dancer" LP VG, Lyric sleeve! 1977 US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 12m
? Kayak - Phantom of the Night (Janus 7039) (sealed) (a Dutch group) US $14.99 Buy It Now 13h 37m
KAYAK "PERISCOPE LIFE" + 2bonus tracks CD LIKE NEW 1993 mercury US $11.99 Buy It Now 17h 27m
Kayak-Eyewitness + Merlin 2 cds in slipcase Dutch prog US $16.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK SEAGULL VERTIGO 45 & PS FREE COMBINED U.S. SHIPPING US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LP-Kayak-Royal Bed Bouncer~'75 Dutch PROG Killer LP ~Camel YES US $14.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK ROYAL BED BOUNCER DJ PROMO BANNED FOR AIRPLAY PROG ROCK EX+ US $7.99 [0 bids]
Original Hits by Kayak -- NEW CD Import Rock Netherlands US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK SEE SEE THE SUN RARE OOP CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Night Vision - Kayak New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $53.52 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK - Ass - 12" US $17.88 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER LP 531 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jan Akkerman Kaz Lux Focus Kayak 1977 Programme US $25.26 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK The Last Encore 2002 remastered CD NEW / UNPLAYED US $15.85 Buy It Now 2 days
Camel- the single factor (SHM-CD) Japanese mini Lp (Caravan, Kayak) US $47.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - CD 1994 - Merlin US $1.67 [1 bids]
KAYAK "Eyewitness" OOP! Remaster Top Dutch prog psych Focus Golden Earring US $8.99 [0 bids]
SUPERSISTER "Present Fram Nancy" REMASTER w/ 4 BONUS 70s Dutch prog FOCUS KAYAK US $13.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK "PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT" 8 Track! Brand New!! Sealed US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SEALED 1978 KAYAK Phantom of the Night LP Jonus Records US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night LP 1979 Janus Records Made in Canada Vinyl VG+/VG US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Anywhere But Here by Kayak (CD, Sep-2011) US $15.00 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK ~ SAME S/T ~ UK HARVEST WHITE LABEL TEST LP - 1ST PRESS 1/1 ~ DUTCH PROG US $329.22 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - Phantom of the Night - Prog Rock/Pop NM-1978 Janus Rare Orig OOP US $2.99 [0 bids]
Kayak (2nd album) LIKE NEW CD US $11.82 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night (RARE 1978 12" Picture Disc, Janus, XS 7039) SEALED US $99.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak Merlin - Bard Of The Unseen 2003 CD RARE RUSSIAN RELEASE CD-Maximum OBI US $29.94 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak Close To The Fire 2003 ULTRA RARE RUSSIAN EDITION CD-Maximum CDM 0703-1430 US $9.94 Buy It Now 3 days
Eyewitness by Kayak (Mar-1999,Pseudonym Records(Netherlands))/new cd/2 bonus trk US $9.79 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK DANZANTE DE ESTRELLAS ARGENTINA NM LP US $21.34 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night 1978 , Janus Record JXS - 7039, Sealed US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK - Merlin - [Pseudonym] [Remaster](CD, May-2003) LIKE NEW US $9.93 [0 bids]
KAYAK ROYAL BED BOUNCER 1975 LP JANUS JXS 7023 US $9.98 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK, 70s progressive rock DJ 7" 45 KEEP THE CHANGE on Janus US $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT - NEW, SEALED VINYL LP IMPORT 2012 US $40.99 Buy It Now 3 days
1979 KAYAK Keep The Change / Same 7" 45 rpm PROMO Janus J-278 NM Vinyl P/S US $3.00 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK Periscope vinyl LP 1980 prog US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak Keep The Change bw Same WLP 45 promo single Janus J-278 US $4.97 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak / Starlight Dancer White Label Promo Janus US LP Dutch Rock Vinyl Pressing US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak- Starlight Dancer- new/sealed 8 Track tape US $5.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer (1977 Janus Records/GRT Music Tapes) Used 8-Track Tape US $3.50 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK - I WANT YOU TO BE MINE - RARE - 7" - URUGUAY US $25.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Max Werner Seasons Raido Records LP 1981 Kayak Progressive DJTS US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK - MERLIN: BARD OF THE UNSEEN - NEW CD US $15.61 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK total loss 7" b/w what's done is done (6017103) pic slv dutch vertigo 1980 US $8.42 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak-Eyewitness Dutch prog cd 2 bonus tracks US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak?- Royal Bed Bouncer with bonus tracks CD LIKE NEW US $13.90 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK Phantom of The Night JANUS LP '79 OG Progressive Rock US $2.99 [0 bids]
Kayak, Starlight Dancer/Janus JXS 7034/Picture Sleeve/LP 1977/In Shrinkwrap US $3.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK "STARLIGHT DANCER" 33 RPM VINYL LP RECORD ALBUM US $9.95 [0 bids]
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT 180GM LP VINYL RECORD NEW US $43.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak ?- Phantom Of The Night LP Vinyl JXS70398 Janus Records US $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak - Phantom Of The Night [Vinyl New] US $29.37 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK: Starlight Dancer (rock & pop vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK THE LAST ENCORE RARE OOP CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Promo 45 rpm - KAYAK - I Want You To Be Mine - MINT DJ US $4.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak-The Last Encore Dutch prog cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK - KAYAK - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $33.66 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK "ROYAL BED BOUNCER" Rare ORIG EMI DUTCH PROG PSYCH LP! (Genesis / Caravan) US $37.14 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK phantom of the night LP 10 track with inner sleeve (jxs7039) us janus 1979 US $9.42 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak Wintertime b/w Alibi Rare France 7" PS 452C004-25.035 Single US $12.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak - Periscope Life/Last Encore [CD New] US $18.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT NUMBERED ED 1978 12" PICTURE DISC JANUS XS 7039 RARE US $30.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK - PERISCOPE LIFE / LAST ENCORE NEW CD US $23.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak Import EMI Best of LP Prog Psych US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Periscope Life/Last Encore by Kayak (CD, Dec-2012, Universal Netherlands) US $16.06 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT - NETHERLAND IMPORT LP - 1979 PHONOGRAM B.V. US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
1979 PROG ROCK Kayak Phantom Of The Night Ruthless Queen Vinyl LP @ US $1.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Brown Ray - Kayak CD Pop Jazz US $20.65 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK/TRIUMVIRAT harvest records presents advert uk harvest 1974 original newspa US $8.42 Buy It Now 6 days
Dutch Prog RaRe Import KAYAK Periscope Life Promo LP on Vertigo Space Ship US $23.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Dutch Prog RaRe Import KAYAK Phantom Of Tthe Night LP +insert Vertigo Space Ship US $17.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Dutch Prog RaRe Import KAYAK Rock En El Tiempo Unique Comp LP Vertigo Space Ship US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK -ROYAL BED BOUNCER+ PERISCOPE LIFE----2 DUTCH ROCK ALBUMS!!! US $16.00 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - MERLIN [PSEUDONYM] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $22.41 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT PROG ROCK EX+ TO NM US $4.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK - Eyewitness *RARE* SEALED CD +$4.99 REGISTERED SHIPMENT US $15.99 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK see see the sun 5C 056.24 933 dutch emi 1973 LP PS EX/EX US $36.86 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK The Last Encore 2002 remastered CD NEW / UNPLAYED US $16.87 Buy It Now 7 days
[7''] Kayak,Seagul / The Sword In The Stone (Vertigo) {EX} US $9.79 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK Phantom of The Night VERTIGO Import lp record US $30.00 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK - ANNIVERSARY BOX (IMPORT) NEW CD US $73.69 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK - Royal Bed Bouncer - CD OOP US $69.99 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK?/?Anywhere but Here ?JAPAN SHM-CD Mini-LP w/OBI BELLE-111880 US $42.50 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK?/?Merlin ?JAPAN SHM-CD Mini-LP w/OBI BELLE-111881?NEW!! US $44.50 Buy It Now 8 days
Kayak. Phantom of the night. Janus records JXS7039. Very good condition. US $8.99 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK 'Night Vision' (with bonus cuts) Prog SEALED Japanese press with OBI CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Kayak-Phantom of the Night Dutch prog cd US $13.99 Buy It Now 8 days
NEW Kayak (Expanded & Remastered) by CD-JEWEL CASE Book Free Shipping US $31.46 Buy It Now 8 days
KAYAK EYEWINTNESS JAPAN CD 1996 NM w/OBI KICP2824 Duch Prog US $15.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Kayak - Periscope Life/Last Encore CD US $19.79 Buy It Now 8 days

More places to buy KAYAK music online Buy KAYAK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KAYAK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KAYAK Starlight Dancer ratings distribution

KAYAK Starlight Dancer reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Plain sailing

Having taken heed of a number of recommendations by Prog Archives members relating to the work of Kayak, I invested in a seductively priced double CD collection which contains three of Kayak's albums ("Starlight dancer", "Phantom of the night", and "Periscope life").

It may be that these albums were not the best place to start with the band, but all I found here was pleasant but totally unchallenging pop. This album consists of 11 songs each three to five minutes in length. There's no feature track or suite of connected songs, everything is kept very simple. Now don't get me wrong here, the quality of the music is undeniable, and the album makes for a pleasant diversion from the complexities of prog, BUT this is pop, pure and simple.

There is certainly a diversity of styles here, including The Beatles/Paul McCartney ("Daughter or son", "Golddust"), 10CC ("Let down"), and City Boy ("Turn the tide"). Ballads such as "Where do we go from here" and " May" work well, often sounding similar to those of the Alan Parsons Project. The occasional instrumental interlude or even entire track (the beautiful, cascading "Irene" featuring some fine sax) show the band to be competent in that field, although they never appear to push themselves into anything which might be described as adventurous.

I did catch a fleeting hint of the neo-prog of IQ on "Want you to be mine", and a hint of more complex structures on the title track, but they turned out to be cruel teasers, the songs ending before anything truly progressive could sneak in.

In summary, Kayak are highly competent in their field. On the evidence of this, (and the two succeeding albums) that field is high quality pop rock with strict limitations on the parameters they work within.

This review is based on the original album by Kayak called "Starlight dancer", now available as part of the "Three originals" collection . A compilation was later released under the same name in the USA, which draws its tracks from this album plus "The last encore".

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#55399) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Review by Gatot
4 stars A memorable album that helped me grow, professionally ..!

I remember vividly my first introduction (in the 70s) with Kayak through my big brother who gave me two groups at the same time: Genesis (later I knew as "Nursery Cryme" album) and Kayak. Those two bands were actually not related or something similar but both were made known to me personally at the same time. My first impression with Kayak was on their song "Woe and Alas" which has since then become my all-time favorite until now. I then kept purchasing the cassette version of Kayak whenever it was possible. This "Starlight Dancer" album is very memorable to me with the facts that some songs have tied me to some critical milestones in my life.

First is the title song "Starlight Dancer" which became as one of my companion when I struggled my career as Strategy consultant in one of the world's top six consulting firms. Yes, it was not just the time when the album was released but many years after that when I needed this song as a companion of my critical career. Why? First is the lyrics that for me was very adventurous and fit with my fighting spirit to achieve exceptional result as professional consultant. Second, is the song itself which has a catchy melody especially on the opening part, i.e. vocal line accompanied by piano. In addition, this song has a tight composition through dynamic style and orchestration. It creates my adrenalin running faster whenever I listen to this song.

Second is "Daughter or Son" with its great groove, wonderful beats and catchy melody. This is the kind of song that I need when I wake up in the morning. The music gives me feel like being motivated to conquer the day. It's nothing prog, I think, but it's pop with brilliant nuance. I seem do not care what the lyrics is trying to say, but the groove and the beats that make me! It's one of great songs that Kayak has ever produced.

"Irene" is an instrumental track with nice melody and it fits to most of people ears, I think. "Golddust" is another good song with drums intro plus uplifting mood. "May" is a very nice track with mellow style using mainly piano / keyboard as main instrument that accompanies beautiful singing style. "Where Do We Go From Here" is another excellent track this album presents.

Overall, this album has practically little prog components even though I can find clearly in "Starlight Dancer" track but this is an excellent album overall. Let me put it this way: I think vast majority of people like pop music and very few love prog rock. Now, if you have been attuned to prog, you would find this album by Kayak enjoyable and unlike other pop music. Because I know, that most progheads find themselves hard to accept regular pop song. Kayak music is mainly pop but with prog components. I rate this album as excellent one. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#156669) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Review by friso
2 stars Kayak - Starlight Dancer (1977)

I will not be disgussing this record for to long. This is the first record with 90% pop material Kayak made and only the track Starlight Dancer is worthwhile for people into progressive music. This song might be seen as lonely on a popalbum, but is is a great progressive symphonic epic with much interesting parts and an adventureous vibe. The other tracks are between avarage and good pop. I like the Daughter or Son track, but after that my attention is reduced so much I don't listen to the album anymore.

Instead of this album try the fantastic first four records of Kayak or the nice Close to the Fire and Merlin - Bard of the Unseen albums from the 21th century. Two stars for this poprecord.

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#172930) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars ''Kayak'' had delivered quite good works so far. Even if their debut were their all-time best, each album from the band was quite decent. Full of poppy prog, excellent melodies and perfect vocals.

This album is quite a deception though. But with such a title, there is no wonder!

It is really a pity that such a good band delivered such an album (but we are unfortunately used to this syndrome). If you ever doubt, just listen to the title track.

At least, some of you might think that it is just a mistake, an error. But it isn't. The worse is still to come: the disgusting and disco flavoured ''Want you to be mine'' is quite unbelievable. An enormous press next song.

The only positive comment I can provide is that the vocal harmonies are still top notch and indeed somewhat Trampish oriented (''Let Down'', ''Turn The Tide''). It is one of my fave (but one of the shortest as well).

Now, to be honest, the instrumental ''Irene'' also shares the bill and deserves a mention. This is an admirable piece of music: full of tact, sweetness and harmony. How comes that ''Kayak'' could release some great track as this one and at the same time so rubbish type of track as ''Golddust''. One of the worst ''Kayak'' moments for sure.

A song as ''May'' can also be considered as a highlight: a little more complex than average, crafted vocals and a wonderful instrumental passage that ranges from a mellow song to a excellent rock ballad.

In terms of rock song, "Sweet Revenge'' is one of the best available: aggressive vocals ( la Collins), upbeat song with fine instrumental part. I wish more like this one was available. Fortunately, this album ends better than it all started.

The closing number '' Where do we go from here" is a pleasant ballad which offers some similarities with "Genesis" (from the "Wind & Wuthering" era). On the mellow side, but that's OK. If you look for easy listening prog music, or have this album played in the background, there is no harm done; but don't expect flamboyant music.

I would say an average album, but I upgrade it to three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#223609) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 28, 2009

3 stars As much as I love Kayak, this album clearly comes from their poppy rather than their prog period. Not that I find something wrong with that, but others will. For me, it is a 4 star recommendation as far as I'm concerned on the strength of the best songs (five score 9/10 or 10/10, this represents ... (read more)

Report this review (#61637) | Posted by Dragon Phoenix | Sunday, December 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYAK "Starlight Dancer"