STARLIGHT DANCER

Kayak Starlight Dancer album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy KAYAK Music
Studio Album, released in 1977

1. Daughter or son (3:38)
2. Starlight dancer (4:59)
3. Want you to be mine (3:38)
4. Letdown (2:49)
5. Irene (4:24)
6. Golddust (2:39)
7. May (4:42)
8. Turn the tide (3:36)
9. Dead bird flies forever (4:18)
10. Sweet revenge (3:33)
11. Where do we go from here? (4:40)

Search KAYAK Starlight Dancer lyrics

Search KAYAK Starlight Dancer tabs

- Ton Scherpenzeel / pianos, synthesizer, organ, harpsichord, vocals
- Charles Louis Schouten / drums, percussion, marimba, vocals
- Johan Slager / guitars, vocals
- Max Werner / Mellotrons, percussion, vocals
- Theo de Jong / bass guitar

Guest musicians:
- Fred Leeflang / soprano saxophone (5)
- Rick van der Linden / Yamaha GX1 synthesizer (6)

LP Vertigo 6360 856 (Netherlands, 1977)

Thanks to Joren for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

KAYAK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYAK Starlight Dancer Music

Anywhere But HereAnywhere But Here
Ais 2011
Starlight Dancer / Phantom of the NightStarlight Dancer / Phantom of the Night
Universal Int'l 2003
Kayak - Starlight Dancer - ORIGINAL 1977 Prog LP - SEALED! US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT "SEALED" VINYL LP US $12.41 Buy It Now 2h 42m
KAYAK - 50 JAAR NEDERPOP (IMPORT) NEW CD US $21.73 Buy It Now 9h 5m
Kayak / Eyewitness +2 KOREA CD new SI WAN US $18.99 Buy It Now 12h 52m
KAYAK - Phantom Of The Night US $14.00 Buy It Now 14h 38m
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER LP 531 US $8.99 Buy It Now 16h 4m
KAYAK Children Of The Night Limited Coloured 180G Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED MOV US $37.02 Buy It Now 17h 6m
Kayak: Periscope Life 1980 Mercury SRM-1-3824 SEALED LP Vinyl Record US $19.99 Buy It Now 19h 30m
KAYAK: I Want You To Be Mine/Irene (rock prog VG++ vinyl 45 CANADA) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Classics/Kayak/new cd US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK Royal Bed Bounder WHITE LABEL PROMO LP 1975 US $21.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK/IRENE/I WANT YOU TO BE MIND/JANUS 45 RPM RECORDS US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK A THE CAR ENCHANTERS B TOTAL LOSS 1980's 7 INCH VINYL 45rpm US $3.05 [0 bids]
Kayak - phantom of the night 1979 US $0.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK Phantom of The Night JAPAN LP RJ-7573 US $25.20 Buy It Now 1 day
THE PRESIDENT By Appointment Of JAPAN 28.3P-516 / Kayak US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK - KAYAK - NEW CD US $19.36 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK - Phantom Of The Night (reissue) - limited 180 gram coloured vinyl LP US $35.25 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK Night Vision 2001 JAPAN CD issue bonus track US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
LP-Kayak-Royal Bed Bouncer~'75 Dutch PROG Killer LP ~Camel YES US $14.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK THE BEST OF IMPORT LP RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KAYAK - ROYAL BED BOUNCER NEW CD US $31.81 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer 1977 Janus orig. white label promo LP wlp US $8.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK EYEWITNESS 1981 JAPAN CD OBI 2500yen KICP 1ST PRESS US $79.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK "Starlight Dancer" LP VG, Lyric sleeve! 1977 US $5.09 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak 'Phantom Of The Night' LP US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK - LAST ENCORE - VERY GOOD CONDITION US $8.98 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK IVORY DENCE KEEP THE CHANGE USA NM UNPLAYED 45rpm VEI 13 ACL US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak - Keep The Change + Ivory Dence - 1979 Janus 7" 45 RPM Single! US $6.99 [0 bids]
Kayak-Merilin Dutch prog cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak-Eyewitness Dutch prog cd US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak Phantom of the Night Kayak LP KSHE classic US $4.00 Buy It Now 3 days
1st Press 1A/1A 1975 KAYAK royal bed bouncer LP Mint- Promo Label JXS 7023 US $13.50 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK - Merlin - Bard Of The Unseen CD with OBI US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ton Scherpenzeel The lion's dream - 2013 Digipack / Kayak Camel US $24.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT LP US $4.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak-Eyewitness Dutch prog Japanese SHM-CD Mini lp US $34.99 Buy It Now 3 days
@ CD Ton Scherpenzeel - Heart Of The Universe MEGARARE KAYAK / CNR RECS 1984 ORG US $99.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night 8 Track tape STILL SEALED US $8.88 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer 12" Record **UNTESTED** US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak - 50 Jaar Nederpop [CD New] US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Last Encore [IMPORT] by Kayak (May-2002, Universal/Mercury) BRAND NEW SEALED CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak - See See The Sun (NEW CD) US $18.13 Buy It Now 3 days
Kayak ?- Starlight Dancer LP Vinyl JXS 7034 US $3.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak : Royal Bed Bouncer CD (2003) US $13.31 Buy It Now 4 days
LP HOLLAND PRESS - KAYAK (THE LAST ENCORE) - 1976 - VERTIGO 6360 854 with insert US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
LP HOLLAND PRESS - KAYAK (STARLIGHT DANCER)- ALT.COVER - 1977 - VERTIGO 6360 856 US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT LP 1978 ORIGINAL DUTCH VERTIGO SPACESHIP US $16.11 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK - PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT - 1978 - STEREO - JANUS JXS-7039 - DUTCH GROUP US $14.00 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK - "The Last Encore" LP 1976 ORIG EARLY GERMAN PRESS - Vertigo US $23.88 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK starlight dancer LP Mint- JXS-7034 Vinyl 1977 Record US $6.75 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak - 50 Jaar Nederpop CD US $19.11 Buy It Now 4 days
## KAYAK - STARLIGHT DANCER LP ROCK 1977 ####################################### US $2.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak - Phantom Of The Night Import-EU Vinyl Record LP US $37.21 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak - Kayak - ECLEC2336 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak - See See The Sun - ECLEC2335 US $16.99 Buy It Now 4 days
EARTH AND FIRE "Atlantis" RM +3 Top 70's Dutch Mellotron prog psych Focus Kayak US $11.99 [0 bids]
EARTH AND FIRE s/t RM + 2 bonus Top 70's Dutch prog psych Focus Kayak US $11.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK phantom of the night LP VG+ Promo JXS 7039 USA Wlp 1978 Prog Rock US $13.50 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK Royal Bed Bouncer Prog Holland Record Bury The World You're So Bizarre US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK: I Want You To Be Mine (rock & pop vinyl 45) US $15.00 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK - EYEWITNESS - BRAND NEW SEALED CD - SHIPS FROM NEW YORK US $9.98 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK - PERISCOPE LIFE / LAST ENCORE NEW CD US $21.73 Buy It Now 4 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer CD US $6.44 [0 bids]
Kayak - The Last Encore CD US $6.44 [0 bids]
Kayak - Kayak CD (2012) Remastered + Bonus Tracks US $6.44 [0 bids]
1979 KAYAK 45 IVORY DENCE / DANCE MISSPELL ERROR NEAR MINT VINYL US $0.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK: Eyewitness LP (Netherlands '81 original, 'Jem' import stoc, inner sleeve US $20.00 Buy It Now 4 days
KAYAK LP STARLIGHT DANCER JANUS US $7.99 Buy It Now 5 days
RAY BROWN - KAYAK NEW CD US $23.54 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak-Periscope Life 1980 US Mercury SRM 1-3824 cc SIS/M- A=dual label oddity!! US $15.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK "Royal Bed Bouncer" Original PROMO LP from 1975 (Janus JXS-7023). US $15.00 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK "Phantom Of The Night" original STILL SEALED LP from 1978 (Janus JXS-7039) US $15.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak + Old Man And The Sea JAPAN MINI LP EMPTY PROMO BOX (no CD) US $49.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK Keep The Change b/w Ivory Dence STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 5 days
1978 KAYAK I Want You To Be Mine 7" 45 rpm PROMO Janus J-2274 Stereo Mono NM- US $5.80 Buy It Now 5 days
Night Vision : Kayak JAPAN CD OBI K1165 US $7.99 [0 bids]
KAYAK Phantom Of The Night LP 10 Track With Inner Sleeve (jxs7039) US Janus 1979 US $12.86 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK See See The Sun LP 9 Track Light Wear To Cover And Has Sticker On Front Of US $30.57 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer LP 11 Track With Inner Seam Split On The Spine Of The Sle US $14.47 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK 'Ruthless Queen' 1978 Dutch 7"/45 vinyl single US $6.44 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak Starlight Dancer / Phantom Of The Night SEALED 1988 German 2 on 1 CD Camel US $15.95 Buy It Now 5 days
Ray Great Big Band Brown - Kayak [CD New] US $17.11 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak - Periscope Life/Last Encore [CD New] US $18.99 Buy It Now 5 days
Kayak - Eyewitness +2B CD *SEALED* SI WAN / RARE US $13.49 Buy It Now 5 days
JNS-7039 KAYAK Phantom Of The Night OOP NEW 12" Vinyl Record Rock US $8.99 [0 bids]
Kayak Starlight Dancer LP US $4.00 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK starlight dancer Lp RECORD 1977 US $9.75 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak - Periscope Life/Last Encore CD US $19.79 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak. Phantom of the night. Janus records JXS7039.~Vinyl NM~Shrink US $7.95 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK Periscope Life ** orig. Holland Vertigo 1980 w/ orig. insert US $9.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK s/t ** orig. Holland 1974 US $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
KAYAK The Best Of... **orig. Holland EMI 1975 US $12.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Camel / Mirage (remaster) +4 bonus tracks 2002 Kayak - Caravan US $0.95 [0 bids]
Camel / Snow Goose (remaster) +5 bonus tracks 2002 Kayak / Caravan US $0.95 [0 bids]

More places to buy KAYAK music online Buy KAYAK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KAYAK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KAYAK Starlight Dancer ratings distribution

KAYAK Starlight Dancer reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Plain sailing

Having taken heed of a number of recommendations by Prog Archives members relating to the work of Kayak, I invested in a seductively priced double CD collection which contains three of Kayak's albums ("Starlight dancer", "Phantom of the night", and "Periscope life").

It may be that these albums were not the best place to start with the band, but all I found here was pleasant but totally unchallenging pop. This album consists of 11 songs each three to five minutes in length. There's no feature track or suite of connected songs, everything is kept very simple. Now don't get me wrong here, the quality of the music is undeniable, and the album makes for a pleasant diversion from the complexities of prog, BUT this is pop, pure and simple.

There is certainly a diversity of styles here, including The Beatles/Paul McCartney ("Daughter or son", "Golddust"), 10CC ("Let down"), and City Boy ("Turn the tide"). Ballads such as "Where do we go from here" and " May" work well, often sounding similar to those of the Alan Parsons Project. The occasional instrumental interlude or even entire track (the beautiful, cascading "Irene" featuring some fine sax) show the band to be competent in that field, although they never appear to push themselves into anything which might be described as adventurous.

I did catch a fleeting hint of the neo-prog of IQ on "Want you to be mine", and a hint of more complex structures on the title track, but they turned out to be cruel teasers, the songs ending before anything truly progressive could sneak in.

In summary, Kayak are highly competent in their field. On the evidence of this, (and the two succeeding albums) that field is high quality pop rock with strict limitations on the parameters they work within.

This review is based on the original album by Kayak called "Starlight dancer", now available as part of the "Three originals" collection . A compilation was later released under the same name in the USA, which draws its tracks from this album plus "The last encore".

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#55399) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Review by Gatot
4 stars A memorable album that helped me grow, professionally ..!

I remember vividly my first introduction (in the 70s) with Kayak through my big brother who gave me two groups at the same time: Genesis (later I knew as "Nursery Cryme" album) and Kayak. Those two bands were actually not related or something similar but both were made known to me personally at the same time. My first impression with Kayak was on their song "Woe and Alas" which has since then become my all-time favorite until now. I then kept purchasing the cassette version of Kayak whenever it was possible. This "Starlight Dancer" album is very memorable to me with the facts that some songs have tied me to some critical milestones in my life.

First is the title song "Starlight Dancer" which became as one of my companion when I struggled my career as Strategy consultant in one of the world's top six consulting firms. Yes, it was not just the time when the album was released but many years after that when I needed this song as a companion of my critical career. Why? First is the lyrics that for me was very adventurous and fit with my fighting spirit to achieve exceptional result as professional consultant. Second, is the song itself which has a catchy melody especially on the opening part, i.e. vocal line accompanied by piano. In addition, this song has a tight composition through dynamic style and orchestration. It creates my adrenalin running faster whenever I listen to this song.

Second is "Daughter or Son" with its great groove, wonderful beats and catchy melody. This is the kind of song that I need when I wake up in the morning. The music gives me feel like being motivated to conquer the day. It's nothing prog, I think, but it's pop with brilliant nuance. I seem do not care what the lyrics is trying to say, but the groove and the beats that make me! It's one of great songs that Kayak has ever produced.

"Irene" is an instrumental track with nice melody and it fits to most of people ears, I think. "Golddust" is another good song with drums intro plus uplifting mood. "May" is a very nice track with mellow style using mainly piano / keyboard as main instrument that accompanies beautiful singing style. "Where Do We Go From Here" is another excellent track this album presents.

Overall, this album has practically little prog components even though I can find clearly in "Starlight Dancer" track but this is an excellent album overall. Let me put it this way: I think vast majority of people like pop music and very few love prog rock. Now, if you have been attuned to prog, you would find this album by Kayak enjoyable and unlike other pop music. Because I know, that most progheads find themselves hard to accept regular pop song. Kayak music is mainly pop but with prog components. I rate this album as excellent one. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#156669) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Review by friso
2 stars Kayak - Starlight Dancer (1977)

I will not be disgussing this record for to long. This is the first record with 90% pop material Kayak made and only the track Starlight Dancer is worthwhile for people into progressive music. This song might be seen as lonely on a popalbum, but is is a great progressive symphonic epic with much interesting parts and an adventureous vibe. The other tracks are between avarage and good pop. I like the Daughter or Son track, but after that my attention is reduced so much I don't listen to the album anymore.

Instead of this album try the fantastic first four records of Kayak or the nice Close to the Fire and Merlin - Bard of the Unseen albums from the 21th century. Two stars for this poprecord.

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#172930) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars ''Kayak'' had delivered quite good works so far. Even if their debut were their all-time best, each album from the band was quite decent. Full of poppy prog, excellent melodies and perfect vocals.

This album is quite a deception though. But with such a title, there is no wonder!

It is really a pity that such a good band delivered such an album (but we are unfortunately used to this syndrome). If you ever doubt, just listen to the title track.

At least, some of you might think that it is just a mistake, an error. But it isn't. The worse is still to come: the disgusting and disco flavoured ''Want you to be mine'' is quite unbelievable. An enormous press next song.

The only positive comment I can provide is that the vocal harmonies are still top notch and indeed somewhat Trampish oriented (''Let Down'', ''Turn The Tide''). It is one of my fave (but one of the shortest as well).

Now, to be honest, the instrumental ''Irene'' also shares the bill and deserves a mention. This is an admirable piece of music: full of tact, sweetness and harmony. How comes that ''Kayak'' could release some great track as this one and at the same time so rubbish type of track as ''Golddust''. One of the worst ''Kayak'' moments for sure.

A song as ''May'' can also be considered as a highlight: a little more complex than average, crafted vocals and a wonderful instrumental passage that ranges from a mellow song to a excellent rock ballad.

In terms of rock song, "Sweet Revenge'' is one of the best available: aggressive vocals ( la Collins), upbeat song with fine instrumental part. I wish more like this one was available. Fortunately, this album ends better than it all started.

The closing number '' Where do we go from here" is a pleasant ballad which offers some similarities with "Genesis" (from the "Wind & Wuthering" era). On the mellow side, but that's OK. If you look for easy listening prog music, or have this album played in the background, there is no harm done; but don't expect flamboyant music.

I would say an average album, but I upgrade it to three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#223609) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 28, 2009

3 stars As much as I love Kayak, this album clearly comes from their poppy rather than their prog period. Not that I find something wrong with that, but others will. For me, it is a 4 star recommendation as far as I'm concerned on the strength of the best songs (five score 9/10 or 10/10, this represents ... (read more)

Report this review (#61637) | Posted by Dragon Phoenix | Sunday, December 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYAK "Starlight Dancer"