STARLIGHT DANCER

Kayak Starlight Dancer album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy KAYAK Music
Studio Album, released in 1977

1. Daughter or son (3:38)
2. Starlight dancer (4:59)
3. Want you to be mine (3:38)
4. Letdown (2:49)
5. Irene (4:24)
6. Golddust (2:39)
7. May (4:42)
8. Turn the tide (3:36)
9. Dead bird flies forever (4:18)
10. Sweet revenge (3:33)
11. Where do we go from here? (4:40)

Search KAYAK Starlight Dancer lyrics

Search KAYAK Starlight Dancer tabs

- Ton Scherpenzeel / pianos, synthesizer, organ, harpsichord, vocals
- Charles Louis Schouten / drums, percussion, marimba, vocals
- Johan Slager / guitars, vocals
- Max Werner / Mellotrons, percussion, vocals
- Theo de Jong / bass guitar

Guest musicians:
- Fred Leeflang / soprano saxophone (5)
- Rick van der Linden / Yamaha GX1 synthesizer (6)

LP Vertigo 6360 856 (Netherlands, 1977)

Thanks to Joren for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

KAYAK MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy KAYAK Starlight Dancer Music

Starlight Dancer / Phantom of the NightStarlight Dancer / Phantom of the Night
Universal Int'l 2003
Starlight DancerStarlight Dancer
Universal Uk/Zoom 2010
Kayak - Starlight Dancer - Janus Records - JXS 7034Kayak - Starlight Dancer - Janus Records - JXS 7034
Janus Records
Vinyl$6.75
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1977 KAYAK Starlight Dancer JXS7034 Rock US Single Standard USD $5.00 Buy It Now 12h 52m
Kayak - Starlight Dancer 1977 Cassette Rock USD $3.00 Buy It Now 13h 35m
KAYAK-STARLIGHT DANCER WLP rock LP USD $19.98 Buy It Now 17h 16m
Kayak - Starlight Dancer - ORIGINAL 1977 Prog LP - SEALED! USD $14.99 Buy It Now 20h 54m
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER LP 531 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LP/VINYL-KAYAK "Starlight Dancer" 1977 Janus Prog Rock USD $9.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Kayak, Starlight Dancer/Janus JXS 7034/Picture Sleeve/LP 1977/In Shrinkwrap USD $3.00 [0 bids]
KAYAK Starlight Dancer LP 11 Track With Inner Seam Split On The Spine Of The Sle USD $12.67 Buy It Now 2 days
KAYAK - Starlight Dancer 1977 USD $0.86 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak Starlight Dancer / Phantom Of The Night SEALED 1988 German 2 on 1 CD Camel USD $15.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer 1977 Janus orig. white label promo LP wlp USD $8.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KAYAK starlight dancer LP Mint- JXS-7034 Vinyl 1977 Record USD $9.00 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK LP STARLIGHT DANCER JANUS USD $7.99 Buy It Now 5 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer 12" Record **UNTESTED** USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak - Original Tapes - Phantom Of The Night/Starlight Dancer CD Prog Rock USD $13.74 Buy It Now 6 days
Kayak Starlight Dancer LP USD $4.00 Buy It Now 7 days
KAYAK starlight dancer Lp RECORD 1977 USD $9.75 Buy It Now 7 days
Kayak / Starlight Dancer White Label Promo Janus US LP Dutch Rock Vinyl Pressing USD $4.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Kayak- Starlight Dancer- new/sealed 8 Track tape USD $5.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Kayak-Starlight Dancer 1977 U.S. Promo Janus JXS 7034 cc EX--/M Immaculate vinyl USD $5.00 Buy It Now 13 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer (1977 Janus Records/GRT Music Tapes) Used 8-Track Tape USD $3.50 Buy It Now 13 days
KAYAK "Starlight Dancer" LP VG, Lyric sleeve! 1977 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 14 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer 8 Track Tape USD $12.88 Buy It Now 14 days
KAYAK: Starlight Dancer (rock & pop vinyl LP) USD $15.00 Buy It Now 14 days
LP HOLLAND PRESS - KAYAK (STARLIGHT DANCER)- ALT.COVER - 1977 - VERTIGO 6360 856 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 14 days
## KAYAK - STARLIGHT DANCER LP ROCK 1977 ####################################### USD $2.99 Buy It Now 14 days
Kayak ?- Starlight Dancer LP Vinyl JXS 7034 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 15 days
KAYAK - STARLIGHT DANCER -PROMO 33rpm LP BRS1 USD $12.50 Buy It Now 15 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer LP US 1977 EX/EX # Symphonic / Prog USD $23.45 Buy It Now 15 days
Kayak Starlight Dancer Factory Sealed Album cutcorner JXS7034 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 18 days
Kayak, Starlight Dancer, 1977 Janus Records, Sealed 8 Track tape USD $5.00 Buy It Now 19 days
@ CD Kayak - Starlight Dancer / Phantom.. RARE PROG SYMFO VERTIGO RECORDS ORG USD $19.99 Buy It Now 21 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer US ORIGINAL LP Janus 1977 Sealed New ! Free Shipping ! USD $39.90 Buy It Now 21 days
Kayak Starlight Dancer Janus DJ LP 7034 Mint- USD $8.00 Buy It Now 21 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer VERTIGO Prog LP USD $12.95 Buy It Now 21 days
KAYAK, STARLIGHT DANCER, LP 1977 USA EX+/VG+, INBER/SL USD $10.93 Buy It Now 22 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer LP Record SEALED 1977 RARE USD $32.50 Buy It Now 23 days
KAYAK - STARLIGHT DANCER / PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT - BRAND NEW SEALED CD USD $14.98 Buy It Now 23 days
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER LP BRAZIL USD $21.00 Buy It Now 23 days
Kayak / Starlight Dancer Holland LP with Alt CoverLPVertigo 6360 856 Spaceship USD $19.99 Buy It Now 24 days
KAYAK-STARLIGHT DANCER JANUS JXS 7034 NEW SEALED LP USD $17.98 Buy It Now 24 days
? Kayak - Starlight Dancer (Janus 7034) (a Dutch group) USD $14.99 Buy It Now 26 days
KAYAK Starlight Dancer JANUS LP prog psych WLP w/ lyrics VG++ USD $10.00 Buy It Now 26 days
Kayak - Starlight Dancer Vinyl LP - JANUS JXS 7034 - EX - IN SHRINK - PROG ROCK USD $4.45 Buy It Now 26 days
KAYAK - Starlight Dancer - Original 1977 US LP SEALED! USD $24.98 Buy It Now 26 days
KAYAK STARLIGHT DANCER JANUS RECORDS 3XS7034 USD $0.99 Buy It Now 27 days
CD kayak ~ USD $15.01
LP phantom of the night ~ USD $23.45
CD see see the sun ~ USD $15.01

More places to buy KAYAK music online Buy KAYAK & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for KAYAK DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

KAYAK Starlight Dancer ratings distribution

KAYAK Starlight Dancer reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars Plain sailing

Having taken heed of a number of recommendations by Prog Archives members relating to the work of Kayak, I invested in a seductively priced double CD collection which contains three of Kayak's albums ("Starlight dancer", "Phantom of the night", and "Periscope life").

It may be that these albums were not the best place to start with the band, but all I found here was pleasant but totally unchallenging pop. This album consists of 11 songs each three to five minutes in length. There's no feature track or suite of connected songs, everything is kept very simple. Now don't get me wrong here, the quality of the music is undeniable, and the album makes for a pleasant diversion from the complexities of prog, BUT this is pop, pure and simple.

There is certainly a diversity of styles here, including The Beatles/Paul McCartney ("Daughter or son", "Golddust"), 10CC ("Let down"), and City Boy ("Turn the tide"). Ballads such as "Where do we go from here" and " May" work well, often sounding similar to those of the Alan Parsons Project. The occasional instrumental interlude or even entire track (the beautiful, cascading "Irene" featuring some fine sax) show the band to be competent in that field, although they never appear to push themselves into anything which might be described as adventurous.

I did catch a fleeting hint of the neo-prog of IQ on "Want you to be mine", and a hint of more complex structures on the title track, but they turned out to be cruel teasers, the songs ending before anything truly progressive could sneak in.

In summary, Kayak are highly competent in their field. On the evidence of this, (and the two succeeding albums) that field is high quality pop rock with strict limitations on the parameters they work within.

This review is based on the original album by Kayak called "Starlight dancer", now available as part of the "Three originals" collection . A compilation was later released under the same name in the USA, which draws its tracks from this album plus "The last encore".

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#55399) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Review by Gatot
4 stars A memorable album that helped me grow, professionally ..!

I remember vividly my first introduction (in the 70s) with Kayak through my big brother who gave me two groups at the same time: Genesis (later I knew as "Nursery Cryme" album) and Kayak. Those two bands were actually not related or something similar but both were made known to me personally at the same time. My first impression with Kayak was on their song "Woe and Alas" which has since then become my all-time favorite until now. I then kept purchasing the cassette version of Kayak whenever it was possible. This "Starlight Dancer" album is very memorable to me with the facts that some songs have tied me to some critical milestones in my life.

First is the title song "Starlight Dancer" which became as one of my companion when I struggled my career as Strategy consultant in one of the world's top six consulting firms. Yes, it was not just the time when the album was released but many years after that when I needed this song as a companion of my critical career. Why? First is the lyrics that for me was very adventurous and fit with my fighting spirit to achieve exceptional result as professional consultant. Second, is the song itself which has a catchy melody especially on the opening part, i.e. vocal line accompanied by piano. In addition, this song has a tight composition through dynamic style and orchestration. It creates my adrenalin running faster whenever I listen to this song.

Second is "Daughter or Son" with its great groove, wonderful beats and catchy melody. This is the kind of song that I need when I wake up in the morning. The music gives me feel like being motivated to conquer the day. It's nothing prog, I think, but it's pop with brilliant nuance. I seem do not care what the lyrics is trying to say, but the groove and the beats that make me! It's one of great songs that Kayak has ever produced.

"Irene" is an instrumental track with nice melody and it fits to most of people ears, I think. "Golddust" is another good song with drums intro plus uplifting mood. "May" is a very nice track with mellow style using mainly piano / keyboard as main instrument that accompanies beautiful singing style. "Where Do We Go From Here" is another excellent track this album presents.

Overall, this album has practically little prog components even though I can find clearly in "Starlight Dancer" track but this is an excellent album overall. Let me put it this way: I think vast majority of people like pop music and very few love prog rock. Now, if you have been attuned to prog, you would find this album by Kayak enjoyable and unlike other pop music. Because I know, that most progheads find themselves hard to accept regular pop song. Kayak music is mainly pop but with prog components. I rate this album as excellent one. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#156669) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Review by friso
2 stars Kayak - Starlight Dancer (1977)

I will not be disgussing this record for to long. This is the first record with 90% pop material Kayak made and only the track Starlight Dancer is worthwhile for people into progressive music. This song might be seen as lonely on a popalbum, but is is a great progressive symphonic epic with much interesting parts and an adventureous vibe. The other tracks are between avarage and good pop. I like the Daughter or Son track, but after that my attention is reduced so much I don't listen to the album anymore.

Instead of this album try the fantastic first four records of Kayak or the nice Close to the Fire and Merlin - Bard of the Unseen albums from the 21th century. Two stars for this poprecord.

Send comments to friso (BETA) | Report this review (#172930) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars ''Kayak'' had delivered quite good works so far. Even if their debut were their all-time best, each album from the band was quite decent. Full of poppy prog, excellent melodies and perfect vocals.

This album is quite a deception though. But with such a title, there is no wonder!

It is really a pity that such a good band delivered such an album (but we are unfortunately used to this syndrome). If you ever doubt, just listen to the title track.

At least, some of you might think that it is just a mistake, an error. But it isn't. The worse is still to come: the disgusting and disco flavoured ''Want you to be mine'' is quite unbelievable. An enormous press next song.

The only positive comment I can provide is that the vocal harmonies are still top notch and indeed somewhat Trampish oriented (''Let Down'', ''Turn The Tide''). It is one of my fave (but one of the shortest as well).

Now, to be honest, the instrumental ''Irene'' also shares the bill and deserves a mention. This is an admirable piece of music: full of tact, sweetness and harmony. How comes that ''Kayak'' could release some great track as this one and at the same time so rubbish type of track as ''Golddust''. One of the worst ''Kayak'' moments for sure.

A song as ''May'' can also be considered as a highlight: a little more complex than average, crafted vocals and a wonderful instrumental passage that ranges from a mellow song to a excellent rock ballad.

In terms of rock song, "Sweet Revenge'' is one of the best available: aggressive vocals ( la Collins), upbeat song with fine instrumental part. I wish more like this one was available. Fortunately, this album ends better than it all started.

The closing number '' Where do we go from here" is a pleasant ballad which offers some similarities with "Genesis" (from the "Wind & Wuthering" era). On the mellow side, but that's OK. If you look for easy listening prog music, or have this album played in the background, there is no harm done; but don't expect flamboyant music.

I would say an average album, but I upgrade it to three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#223609) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 28, 2009

3 stars As much as I love Kayak, this album clearly comes from their poppy rather than their prog period. Not that I find something wrong with that, but others will. For me, it is a 4 star recommendation as far as I'm concerned on the strength of the best songs (five score 9/10 or 10/10, this represents ... (read more)

Report this review (#61637) | Posted by Dragon Phoenix | Sunday, December 25, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of KAYAK "Starlight Dancer"