NATTENS MADRIGAL

Ulver Nattens Madrigal album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy ULVER Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Hymne I - Wolf And Fear (6:16)
2. Hymne II - Wolf And The Devil (6:21)
3. Hymne III - Wolf And Hatred (4:48)
4. Hymne IV - Wolf And Man (5:21)
5. Hymne V - Wolf And The Moon (5:14)
6. Hymne VI - Wolf And Passion (5:48)
7. Hymne VII - Wolf And Destiny (5:32)
8. Hymne VIII - Wolf And The Night (4:38)

Search ULVER Nattens Madrigal lyrics

Search ULVER Nattens Madrigal tabs

- Garm / vocals
- Aismal / guitar
- Haavard / guitar
- Skoll / bass
- AiwarikiaR / drums

CD Century Media (1996)

Thanks to useful_idiot for the addition

ULVER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ULVER Nattens Madrigal Music

KveldssangerKveldssanger
Head Not Found 2001
Madrigal of the Night (Nattens Madrigal)Madrigal of the Night (Nattens Madrigal)
Century Media 1997
Imports 2014
Vinyl$12.70
Messe I.X - VI.XMesse I.X - VI.X
Kscope 2013
Themes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven And HellThemes From William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven And Hell
Jester Norway 2006
A Quick Fix of MelancholyA Quick Fix of Melancholy
EP
The End Records 2003
MESSENGER Illusory Blues PINK FLOYD SWANS THE BEATLES ULVER US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Thy Catafalque: Rengeteg, Solefald, Arcturus, Ulver, Negura Bunget, Drudkh US $7.99 [0 bids]
Ihsahn Eremita 2x12" Double LP Emperor Peccatum Enslaved Arcturus Ulver Shining US $22.00 [0 bids]
15 CD LOT Black Metal NEW Helcaraxe Open Grave Sorts death samael ulver mayhem US $16.66 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Sunn / Ulver: Terrestrials 12" US $16.80 Buy It Now 3h 47m
STRID "S/T" CD thorns manes ulver US $16.21 [0 bids]
ULVER Messe I.X-VI.X Limited Edition RSD 2014 12" Picture Disc Vinyl SEALED US $40.51 Buy It Now 16h 2m
War of the Roses - Ulver New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $19.51 Buy It Now 16h 33m
US import ULVER Shadows Of The Sun CD Jester THE END Records 2007 NEW sealed US $14.98 Buy It Now 17h 52m
US import ULVER Blood Inside CD Jester THE END Records 2005 NEW sealed US $14.98 Buy It Now 17h 52m
Ulver-Bergtatt CD emperor, immortal, dimmu borgir, enslaved, 1349 US $19.99 [0 bids]
Ulver - Blood Inside (2007) CD. Jester Records ?- TRICK033. Enhanced. US $22.70 [0 bids]
Ulver - A Quick Fix Of Melancholy EP. CD. TE039 US $11.35 [0 bids]
ULVER - ULVER 1993-2003: 1ST DECADE IN THE MACHINES - NEW CD US $14.09 Buy It Now 19h 9m
MOJO PRESENTS THE WALL RE-BUILT! DISC ONE & TWO CDS RALFE BAND/ULVER/ASTRA/ETC US $4.85 [0 bids]
Ulver KVELDSSANGER Twilight Songs 2ND ALBUM Norwegian Folk HEAD NOT FOUND New CD US $14.99 [0 bids]
BORIS VEIN DRONE VERSION TEST PRESS ltd. 8 Sunn O))) Neurosis Merzbow Ulver KTL US $249.95 Buy It Now 20h 29m
ULVER shadows of the sun CD 2007 The End Records ?- TE089 US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
OBTAINED ENSLAVEMENT Centuries Of Sorrow Cd Org95 Effigy Gorgoroth Ulver Abigor US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Red Harvest Internal Punishment Programs MAYHEM ULVER SATYRICON US $3.99 [0 bids]
AGALLOCH Marrow Of The Spirit Ltd. Black CD Ulver Alcest Nest Opeth Like New! US $34.99 [0 bids]
Agalloch Faustian Echoes Digipack CD SEALED Opeth Ulver Alcest Katatonia NEW LP US $24.99 [0 bids]
lotus circle - caves, coil vond mortiis ulver darkspace sunn o lurker of chalice US $5.99 [0 bids]
trama afona - st, current 93 bass communion coil vond mortiis larva 108 ulver US $5.99 [0 bids]
lilyum - nothing is mine, darkspace nocternity alcest drudkh negura benget ulver US $5.99 [0 bids]
paragon of beauty - seraphine far gone gleam, empyrium agalloch fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
umbrtka - ivo, masters hammer alcest ulver agalloch fen primordial abigor drudkh US $5.99 [0 bids]
tyrant - grimoires, ulver fen alcest dordeduh negura bunget saturnus nocternity US $5.99 [0 bids]
netra - melancolie urbaine, manes coldworld ulver tulus shining darkspace alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
ANCIENT RITES - Dim Carcosa LP Hammerheart Recs 2001 ULVER BATHORY ENSLAVED US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ulver Thomso Chambre Orch. Messe I.X - VI.X Factory Sealed 180g LP + Poster US $38.50 Buy It Now 1 day
MASTER´S HAMMER Mantras NEW CD Root Ulver Torr Cradle Of Filth Dimmu Borgir US $29.00 Buy It Now 1 day
AENAON Cendres Et Sang CD jazzy Greek prog/black metal Sigh Rotting Christ Ulver US $15.98 Buy It Now 1 day
ULVER Wars Of The Roses LP IMPORT dark jazzy prog/pop arcturus manes Hexvessel US $24.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Head Control System - Murder Nature (Ulver, Arcturus, Borknager, Winds) US $4.99 [0 bids]
ULVER - WARS OF THE ROSES NEW VINYL US $34.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Ulver - Live At Roadburn 2012 (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) US $48.62 Buy It Now 1 day
DARKTHRONE PLAGUE WIELDER LP RED Vinyl ulver mayhem 1349 gorgoroth watain sodom US $24.00 [0 bids]
TORMENTOR the sick years CASSETTE mayhem satyricon behexen beherit ulver morbid US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Elend - The Umbersun CD NEW Agalloch Ulver Alcest US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE VISION BLEAK Wolves Go Hunt Their Prey CD Empyrium Ulver Moonspell Tiamat US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Arcturus - SIDESHOW SYMPHONIES - sealed vinyl - record LP ulver US $26.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ULVER - Blood Inside [Enhanced] US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Ulver - Wars Of The Roses [Vinyl New] US $24.98 Buy It Now 1 day
ABIGOR EMBROIDERED PATCH BLACK METAL ULVER HORNA CARPATHIAN FOREST Metal Negro US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Metamorphosis [EP] by Ulver (CD, Nov-1999, Trick) TRICK 009 US $45.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Perdition City (Music to an Interior Film) by Ulver (CD, 2000, Trick) TRICK 007 US $14.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Maniac Butcher Krvestreb LP / PD Bathory Inferno Mayhem Watain Sarcofago Ulver US $39.66 Buy It Now 2 days
ULVER**WARS OF THE ROSES (GATEFOLD)**VINYL US $21.50 Buy It Now 2 days
Furze - Reaper Subconscious Guide CD Mayhem Ulver Darkthrone Dissection US $13.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Enthroned - Obsidium CD Mayhem Burzum Mgla Watain Dissection Ulver US $13.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ULVER SILENCING THE SIGNING TVICK 016 US $32.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MY OWN WOLF: A NEW APPROACH TO ULVER - NEW CD BOXSET US $17.58 Buy It Now 2 days
Free*Postage New Sealed Sunn O))) Ulver Terrestials White Vinyl LP OOP US $49.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Free*Postage New Sealed Sunn O))) Ulver Terrestials Black Vinyl LP OOP US $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER - Terrestrials (LP) US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER - Terrestrials US $13.49 Buy It Now 2 days
ULVER - NATTENS MADRIGAL [THE MADRIGAL OF THE NIGHT] - NEW CD US $14.41 Buy It Now 2 days
Det Hedenske Folk/Abyssic Hate split cd Ulver, Immortal, Mayhem, black metal US $5.00 [1 bids]
ULVER Childhood's End CD DIGIBOOK dark 60's psychedelic rock covers, avant prog US $14.98 Buy It Now 2 days
ULVER Messe I.X - VI.X CD chamber music + dark prog ihsahn univers zero arcturus US $14.98 Buy It Now 2 days
ULVER The Norwegian National Opera CD+DVD dark chamber prog ihsahn arcturus NEW US $16.98 Buy It Now 2 days
ULVER Wars Of The Roses CD DIGIBOOK dark jazzy prog/pop arcturus manes Hexvessel US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
DISSECTION Poster emperor Watain Beherit Bathory Immortal Ulver Entombed Mayhem US $9.99 [1 bids]
beherit oath of black blood babydoll girly t shirt black metal ulver burzum von US $16.66 Buy It Now 3 days
beherit pentagram goat babydoll girly t shirt black metal ulver mayhem witchery US $16.66 Buy It Now 3 days
incubus babydoll girly t shirt black metal ulver mayhem deathyell necrovore absu US $16.66 Buy It Now 3 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER-TERRESTRIALS-JAPAN 2 CD BONUS TRACK H40 zd US $35.50 Buy It Now 3 days
Ludicra - The Tenant - black vinyl - 2 LP record agalloch ulver US $34.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SUNN O))) & ULVER Terrestrials CD apocalyptic cosmic jazz/ambient prog doomdrone US $11.98 Buy It Now 3 days
ULVER WARS OF THE ROSES VINYL LP 2011 Jester Records US $24.99 [0 bids]
ULVER - Childhood's End vinyl LP sealed US $24.99 [0 bids]
Lyckantropen Themes by Ulver (CD, Jan-2003, The End) US $13.59 Buy It Now 3 days
Nattens Madrigal by Ulver *New CD* US $8.29 Buy It Now 3 days
Blood Inside by Ulver *New CD* US $9.05 Buy It Now 3 days
Mütiilation Black Millenium CD 1stPress Deathspell Omega Darkthrone MayheM Ulver US $50.00 [0 bids]
Taake Bjoergvin LP 1stPress Darkthrone Satyricon Deathspell Omega Ulver Immortal US $92.00 [0 bids]
Taake Helnorsk Svartmetall LP Darkthrone Mayhem Deathspell Omega Ulver Immortal US $79.99 [0 bids]
Ulver Nattens Madrigal CD Alcest Agalloch Ved Buens Ende Arcturus Mayhem US $13.99 [0 bids]
Windir Arntor CD Mayhem Gehenna Varg Dødheimsgard Darkthrone Ulver US $22.00 [0 bids]
Isvind ?Dark Waters Stir Digipak CD Solistitium Records Immortal Ulver Arcturus US $26.66 [0 bids]
Windir Likferd CD Mayhem Gehenna Varg Dødheimsgard Darkthrone Ulver US $22.00 [0 bids]
ODIUM Sad Realm Of The Stars LP 1ST PRESS Emperor Varg Darkthrone Arcturus Ulver US $89.99 [0 bids]
MIRACLE Mercury LP NEW VINYL Planet Mu Zombi Ulver Guapo synth pop US $21.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ulver - Kveldssanger - 1996 Head Not Found CD no barcode - Alt Folk metal US $7.87 [1 bids]
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal - 1997 Century Black CD - Alternative Black metal US $7.87 [1 bids]
Ulver - Shadows of the Sun - 2007 Modern Invasion (Australia) CD- Alt Folk metal US $7.87 [0 bids]
SORCIER DES GLACES "Ritual of the End" DIGI LTD Darkthrone Ulver Dissection US $26.95 Buy It Now 3 days
VALHALL "Heading for Mars" Head not Found Darkthrone Ulver DOOM US $29.95 [0 bids]
ARCTURUS "Disguised Masters" original Jester Rec OOP Ulver Ved Buens Ende US $19.95 [0 bids]
SATYRICON "Dark Medieval Times" Darkthrone Emperor Ulver MOONFOG OOP 1st ed US $24.95 [0 bids]

More places to buy ULVER music online Buy ULVER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ULVER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ULVER Nattens Madrigal ratings distribution

ULVER Nattens Madrigal reviews

Review by OpethGuitarist
2 stars What does Ulver leave us with before there exploration into experimental territory? The definitive black metal album. From this album Ulver would make perhaps the greatest left turn in music history.

Looking back now let's attempt to analyze what the genius that is Garm did here. The question is why did they make this record, and why the change that is evident in Themes? From even the first release, Bergtatt, it was fairly clear that Ulver had something else in them, no one knew exactly what that was, but it was clear that there was more to this band and some of its members than typical black metal.

It is my theory, that this record was designed to show that Ulver was superior to its black metal peers, that Garm knew he was gifted, and knew that his musical direction would change. However, before he made that change, he wanted to "show-off" his greatness, to put something out there to the black metal genre and say to its cult following, "Beat this record, I dare you." Indeed, Ulver may have produced the CTTE of Black Metal. Not only this, but it helped set up the radical change that Garm wanted to undertake. Think about it, what better way to make the most drastic left turn in the history of music, than to create a record that is the pinnacle of something you do not even care to do anymore, rather than gradually adjusting your sound, but to make a large jolt that would shock people. A great marketing technique actually.

Am I reading too much into this? Quite possibly. For now I'll let the genius that is Garm/Trickster G. guide the way.

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#89688) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 15, 2006

Review by UMUR
3 stars Nattens Madrigal is the third studio album from experimental extreme metal( avant garde rock act Ulver. Ulver´s two first albums Bergtat (1994) and Kveldssanger (1995) had proven that Ulver was not your average black metal band even though the music on Bergtat is definitely black metal. Kveldssanger was a big surprise for many people though because Ulver didn´t follow up their success on Bergtat with another black metal album. Kveldssanger is an acoustic and folky album. Nattens Madrigal takes us back into Black metal territory and is IMO Ulver´s most extreme album.

The music is not without melody though and we´re still treated with a couple of beautiful acoustic parts here and there. The fast tremolo riffing is actually pretty melodic as well. I´m reminded more than one time of the legendary ( yet very unknown) Swedish death metal band Unanimated and their album In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead (1993) ( and remember I said it was the band and not the movie, so don´t come complaining to me when you´re treated with countless zombies and dead body parts coming alive after being injected with a green fluid). The vocals are raspy black metal style. The pace is mostly fast but not extremely fast ( hyper blasts).

The musicianship is excellent. The technical skills are great but it´s more the compositional skills that I´m impressed about.

The production is a problem for me. It´s very thin and the guitar has a horrible sound. The worst part is that this sound is made on purpose. This is how they wanted it to sound. It´s an aquired taste I´m sure because I have friends who like the thin black metal sound. I grew up listening to full and bass deep death metal production from Morrisound and Sunlight studios and I just never got on the black metal wagon ( with a few exceptions), partially because of the thin and to my ears annoying sound quality many of the bands chose to use on purpose. So you might enjoy it more than I do.

Nattens Madrigal is a great album and that´s even though it has a production that I don´t enjoy much. But on the other hand the production does take away the fourth star I would have given Nattens Madrigal and I will only give it 3 stars. Ulver would totally change their style after Nattens Madrigal so this is the last chance to hear why Ulver was one of the genre defining and biggest black metal acts in the nineties.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#192173) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 07, 2008

Review by JJLehto
1 stars After the purely folk piece that was "Kveldssanger" Ulver released this piece of music. I honestly don't know if I can think of a more extreme 180. This album is pure, straight up black metal. For those who are not quite sure what that is, (at least musically....we all know about the church burnings) black metal is a very raw, abrasive genre of music. Usually features long, repetitive songs of manic tremolo picking, blast beats and shrieking vocals. It is often, purposely, produced with low quality.

This album hits everyone of those points. Every song is at least 4 and a half minutes long and nothing but blast beats, a distorted buzz that I can only assume is guitar, (being frantically picked into oblivion) and shrieking. There is the occasional, and I mean occasional riff, and the only real break is a 40 second acoustic section in the first song, (which is quite nice) and the very end of some songs.

There is the occasional solo which for black metal is quite unconventional. The vocals are actually tolerable. They are not the usual really high pitched black metal shriek but more of a throaty growling. Also, they can be a but buried in the wall of sound anyway so it may not matter. Finally, you want low quality? I have heard some lo-fi music in my day, but this album is truly low-fi. Hell, even for black metal the quality of this album is impressively low.

So that is it. This album is as straightforward black metal as you can get. A wall of distorted, static guitars and blast beats, extremely low quality and a total lack of song structure. That is no fooling around black metal. I personally am not a fan of black metal. I am not sure how someone can enjoy five + minutes of nothing but tremolo picking and blast beats. I can't even give this album a two, because a lot of Ulver fans may not like this, since it is absolutely nothing like their other work. It is not like most others works a prog fan will come across. Only recommended if you are a fan of black metal.

One Star

*JJ runs into the forest shrieking*

Send comments to JJLehto (BETA) | Report this review (#294709) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 16, 2010

Review by Guldbamsen
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP Site and Forum Admin
3 stars Back when I was a teen, living just on the outskirts of Copenhagen, I was never far away from the woods. They became my playing ground as well as being one of the greatest places to collect your speeding thoughts surrounding everything that is possible to cram inside a 15 year old boy´s head, who thinks that the world is a pretty big place - and fast becoming even bigger just through his pursuit of music.

The forest was often used as a place you could party, and many a Fridays we, my friends and schoolgirl sirens, would built enormous bonfires and play music all night long. At the time Prodigy and Oasis were big just about everywhere and seeing as we all had the hots for at least one of the attending girls, we´d let them hear "Firestarter" or maybe even "Wonderwall" - if you thought you were in there ;-) As night unfolded and we got more intoxicated by our mixed drinks with vodka-beer-pisang ambon-whiskey-orange juice-rum-thingy, we always seemed to end up putting this particular album on, not really thinking about the horrible consequences it would have on our love lives. Well who needs love at 15, when you have a dark brooding forest, Norwegian Black Metal and a giant fire that seems to lick the leaves off of the highest oak trees around you? We certainly didn´t that´s for sure... And the birds ran screaming into the night leaving only us blackbirds, as you can probably guess.

For the prog community I´d strongly recommend you try Kveldssanger from 1995 first or even the two last releases, before you start exploring this utterly black and bleak record. The music is black metal with it´s coarse sounding evil voice and great big melodious riffing that in time will melt together as dense storm clouds of sound with the vocals being the shattering lightning occasionally breaking through the thicket. From time to time we get small doses of the Norwegian folk flavor that flavored their 2 first outings and made them stand out from the large masses of newly formed black metal bands back in those days. This is a return to traditional black metal, and as Umur says in his review, you can really hear how they intentionally worsened the sound during production - bringing with it a very whispering thin coating of just bad recording technique, but hey that was on purpose and if you talk to anybody who listened to Ulver, Burzum or say Darkthrone back then, they´d say that it sounded the way it should and damn-right evil to boot.

I am not 15 anymore, but I have strong emotions surrounding this very release - and every time i put the album on, I picture myself climbing the highest trees in the woods, screaming my lungs out - howling lycanthrobically at the white moon, jumping through bonfires with a careless look in my eyes thinking never ever will the day come, when the world around me turns me into a grown up and make me forget the beauty of night and the smell of wood fire and sweat on my clothes. It never did.

Send comments to Guldbamsen (BETA) | Report this review (#384663) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 22, 2011

Review by Warthur
4 stars The ambient transitions between songs and the acoustic break in the middle of the opening track prove that Ulver hadn't completely lost all ability to handle a recording studio for Nattens Madrigal - the absolutely dire sound quality on the black metal which takes up the bulk of this piece is 100% on purpose. On this album, Ulver take the lo-fi aesthetic which in moderation can add an interesting aesthetic effect to black metal and takes it to a ludicrous extreme, more so even than the likes of Burzum or Darkthrone who infamously went out of their way to reduce the sound quality of their albums in order to attain the atmosphere they wanted. The end result is an album which, if you aren't in the right mood for it, is an outright chore to listen to.

And yet...

There's a strange transformation which comes over the music when the sound quality is this bad. The instruments - particularly some of the higher-pitched guitar solos - often cease to sound like conventional rock band instruments at all and become more reminiscent of out-of-control industrial machinery or shrieking electronics. The vocals from Garm are so full of anger that they often sound as though he is fighting to get them out, like if he didn't give his all he would be completely lost in the mix. The rhythms and repetitive patterns which make themselves apparent in the music are powerful and hypnotic, and save the piece from being mere noise for noise's sake like, say, Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. And the ambient interludes between songs provide a brief and haunting counterpoint to the full-on ugliness on show here. And the songs are in fact much more varied than they have been made out to be - the intro to Of Wolf and Passion suggests a sort of romantic power black metal, which is a combination I'd never thought I'd here.

After this, Ulver would turn away from black metal for good, but this last album is a challenging but I feel unique aesthetic contribution to the genre, and is certainly the best example I can think of of an album where a deliberate lo-fi recording style leads to a distinctive and individual aesthetic which simply could never have been captured in any other way - an aesthetic which is perfect for the album's concept, the saga of a man turned into a werewolf and who eventually embraces the wolf within him due to the misdeeds and cruelty of humanity. Ulver would leave black metal behind after this release to explore other musical avenues, but to those who have already sampled and enjoyed Ulver's work - particularly Bergtatt, their debut - I recommend it as perhaps one of the most intriguing experiments in extreme metal. That said, you'd be well-advised to manage your expectations accordingly; if you simply don't like lo-fi black metal you're not going to enjoy yourself here.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#625074) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 02, 2012

2 stars Ulver never fails to surprise. After that accoustic folk-rock album Kveldssanger, they return with a primitive black metal album. The sound is down the Darkthrone alley. What a contrast to Kveldssanger ! The music is pretty OK. I have to admit that I prefer Darkthrone or even Emperor to this ... (read more)

Report this review (#232283) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Tuesday, August 18, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars OK. Let just start by settling what i'm rating here. It is popular on this site to avoid the 5 star rating for non-prog albums, for obvious reasons. I don't like doing that, i am rating a black metal album in the 1-5 star scale, 4 meaning "excellent" (just putting the "...adittion to any prog collec ... (read more)

Report this review (#204966) | Posted by Revan | Tuesday, March 03, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars This album is not for fans of later Ulver stuff. It's not like their other electronic albums, it's just primitive black metal with a very bad production (even by black metal standards). I'm not a fan of black metal, however, i've heard much worse. It is considered as a classic by fans of this ... (read more)

Report this review (#66642) | Posted by lordoflight | Wednesday, January 25, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars It's about time someone reviewed this one. This album is seriously not recommended for anyone. Unless you're a fan of raw, primitive black metal with the worst production you'll ever hear. I happen to be such a person. Although the sound might seem terrible at first, underneath there's an amaz ... (read more)

Report this review (#60527) | Posted by | Friday, December 16, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ULVER "Nattens Madrigal"