AURORA

Jean-Luc Ponty

Jean-Luc  Ponty Aurora album cover

Buy JEAN-LUC PONTY Music
Studio Album, released in 1975

1. Is Once Enough? (4:52)
2. Renaissance (5:45)
3. Aurora, Pt. 1 (2:45)
4. Aurora, Pt. 2 (6:11)
5. Passenger of the Dark (4:14)
6. Lost Forest (5:23)
7. Between You and Me (5:54)
8. Waking Dream (2:24)

Search JEAN-LUC PONTY Aurora lyrics

Search JEAN-LUC PONTY Aurora tabs

- Tom Fowler / Bass, Guitar
- Norman Fearrington / Percussion, Drums
- Patrice Rushen / Synthesizer, Piano, Piano (Electric), Keyboards
- Jean-Luc Ponty / Violin, Violectra, Main Performer, Violin (Electric), Producer, Keyboards, Autoharp, Arranger, Vocals
- Daryl Stuermer / Guitar (Acoustic), Guitar (Electric)

1992 CD Atlantic 19158-2
1977 LP Atlantic 18163
1992 CS Atlantic CS-19158
Rhino 19158
1990 CS Atlantic 19158

Thanks to ivan_2068 for the addition

JEAN-LUC PONTY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JEAN-LUC PONTY Aurora Music

JEAN LUC PONTY violin summit LP 5 track but sleeve has ringwear,seam split and s US $8.15 Buy It Now 4h 49m
JEAN-LUC PONTY imaginary voyage LP 6 track (atl50317) german atlantic 1976 US $8.15 Buy It Now 4h 51m
JEAN-LUC PONTY open mind 12" Mint- PR 672 Vinyl 1984 Record US $10.50 Buy It Now 7h 10m
JEAN-LUC PONTY-COSMIC MESSENGER 1978 ATLANTIC REC. LP IN SHRINK SD 19189 EX. VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 7h 56m
Jean Luc Ponty Enigmatic Ocean LP 1977 Atlantic SD 19110 Vinyl Record US $4.74 Buy It Now 8h 8m
33RPM VINYL RECORD JEAN LUC PONTY AURORA 1976 ATLANTIC SD-19158 US $6.64 Buy It Now 8h 17m
JEAN-LUC PONTY INDIVIDUAL CHOICE LP 592 US $8.99 Buy It Now 9h
JEAN-LUC PONTY - THE ACATAMA EXPERIENCE * - NEW CD US $16.56 Buy It Now 9h 37m
JEAN-LUC PONTY - " Enigmatic Ocean " US $0.99 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty, Taste for Passion Audio CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 10h 12m
Jean-Luc Ponty, Fables Audio CD US $22.99 Buy It Now 10h 12m
Jean-Luc Ponty - A Taste For Passion - 1979 record alblum US $2.97 Buy It Now 10h 35m
Jean-Luc Ponty, Tchokola Audio CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 19m
Jean-Luc Ponty, Imaginary Voyage Audio CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 11h 19m
JEAN-LUC PONTY: Imaginary Journey (rock & pop LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 12h 15m
Jean-Luc Ponty, No Absolute Time Audio CD US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 26m
JEAN-LUC PONTY LP Imaginary Voyage 1976 SD 19136 FREE SHIP Wandering Milky Way US $6.99 [0 bids]
JEAN LUC PONTY Beach Girl b/w Sunset Drive STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 16m
Jean-Luc Ponty & Stephane Grappelli // Compact Jazz US $9.50 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger - LP Record/Vinyl Atlantic Rec SD 19189 US $0.99 [0 bids]
JEAN-LUC PONTY "Open Mind" Original 12" LP from 1984 (ATLANTIC 80185). US $3.25 [0 bids]
Stéphane Grappelli, Jean-Luc Ponty, Stuff Smith, Svend Asmussen ?-Violin Summit US $8.00 [0 bids]
JEAN LUC PONTY "AURORA" LP VINYL ALBUM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Individual Choice ~ Jean-Luc Ponty US $0.99 [0 bids]
Jean Luc Ponty - Tchokola CD 1991 Epic US $1.95 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty -- Upon The Wings Of Music LP US $1.29 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty - Fables. LP - 1985 US - Atlantic A1 81276 US $3.99 [0 bids]
16 Cassettes Box- Jean-Luc Ponty,Supertramp, Bob Seger System,Genesis,Roxy Music US $40.99 [0 bids]
23h
Jean-Luc Ponty - The Gift Of Time (Cbs) Lp US $11.95 Buy It Now 1 day
JEAN-LUC PONTY "UPON THE WINGS OF MUSIC" ATLANTIC SD-18138 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Lot 2 LPs Jean-Luc Ponty Live Enigmatic Ocean Near Mint Condition Promo US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
RECORD LP VINY l- JEAN-LUC-PONTY:LIVE Excellent Condition-1979-ATLANTIC US $8.99 [0 bids]
Jean Luc Ponty Civilized Evil Lp Record Album a1 US $1.99 [0 bids]
Open Mind Jean-Luc Ponty US $2.00 [0 bids]
Jean luc Ponty The Gift of Time US $2.00 [0 bids]
JEAN-LUC PONTY 1976 LP LIVE IN MONTREUX in Shrink US $15.77 Buy It Now 1 day
STEPHANIE GRAPPELLI & JEAN-LUC PONTY: Giants (jazz LP) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
The Best of Jean-Luc Ponty by Jean-Luc Ponty (CD, Mar-2002, Columbia) US $3.00 [0 bids]
Aurora by Jean-Luc Ponty CD 1990, Atlantic US $14.95 [2 bids]
1976 "Jean-Luc Ponty meets Diorgio Gaslini" Pausa PR-7014 VG + Stereo Vinyl LP US $3.88 Buy It Now 1 day
Jean-Luc Ponty - KING KONG: MUSIC OF FRANK ZAPPA - US Idiot Bastard Son LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jean-Luc Ponty/ Fables/ Atlantic A1-81276/ New In Shrink US $4.95 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty/ Mystical Adventures/ Atlantic SD-19333/ Near Mint US $4.95 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty/ Open Mind/ Atlantic 7=80185-1/ Near MInt US $3.40 [0 bids]
JEAN-LUC PONTY - IMAGINARY VOYAGE-LP/Vinyl/Record US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
4 LP Jazz Lot, Grover Washington, Freddie Hubbard, Phil Woods, Jean-Luc Ponty US $21.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Jean Luc Ponty - Tchokola - U.S. cd - RARE! US $7.77 Buy It Now 1 day
ALAN SORRENTI Aria LP/1972 Italy/Progressive Folk/Saint Just/Jean US $42.99 Buy It Now 1 day
"A TASTE FOR PASSION"...JEAN-LUC PONTY....LP......EXCELLENT CONDITION US $2.39 Buy It Now 1 day
Tchokola by Jean-Luc Ponty (CD, May-1991, Epic (USA)) US $0.69 [0 bids]
JEAN-LUC PONTY OPEN MIND ATLANTIC DANCE BOOGIE 12" US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JEAN LUC PONTY '' IMAGINARY VOYAGE" NM 1976 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Individual Choice by Jean-Luc Ponty (CD, Nov-1983, Rhino (Label)) US $8.00 [0 bids]
*PROMO* Jean-Luc Ponty - Beach Girl/Sunset Drive, Atlantic 3639 45 rpm single US $3.75 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty-Open Mind-LP-Atlantic-80185 1-Vinyl Record-NM US $3.49 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty-Mystical Adventures-LP-Atlantic-SD 19333-Vinyl Record-NM US $3.49 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty-A Taste For Passion-LP-Atlantic-SD 19253-Vinyl Record US $3.49 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty-Open Mind-LP-Atlantic-80185 1-Vinyl Record-NM US $3.49 [0 bids]
Jean Luc Ponty-Imaginary Voyage-LP-Atlantic-SD 18195-Shrink-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $3.49 [0 bids]
JEAN-LUC PONTY IMAGINARY VOYAGE RECORD LP US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
JEAN-LUC PONTY nr mint vinyl lp AURORA US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Jean-Luc Ponty ?- Aurora LP Vinyl SD18163 US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Cosmic Messenger by Jean-Luc Ponty (CD, Jul-1987, Rhino (Label)) US $8.00 [0 bids]
JAZZ-VIOLIN SUMMIT - Jean-Luc Ponty / Stephane Grappelli FS 355 Everest Rec. US $2.95 [0 bids]
Jean Luc Ponty Enigmatic Ocean {SD-19110} **KENDUN** Record, Vinyl, Album, LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Jean-Luc Ponty - Live LP Vinyl US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
JEAN-LUC PONTY IMAGINARY VOYAGE VINYL LP US $10.85 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY Upon The Wings of Music UK 1stPress Vinyl LP 1975 ATLANTIC K50149 US $13.04 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY Imaginary Voyage UK 1stPres Vinyl LP 1976 ATLANTIC K50317 MINT/EX US $13.04 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY Mystical Adventures UK 1st Press Vinyl LP 1982 ATLANTIC K50872 US $13.04 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY Enigmatic Ocean UK 1st Press Vinyl LP 1977 ATLANTIC K50409 US $13.04 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY Aurora UK 1st Press Vinyl LP 1976 ATLANTIC K50228 EX/MINT US $13.04 Buy It Now 2 days
Jean Luc Ponty A Taste For Passion SD19253 R VG C EX (LP-12440) US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger LP - Atlantic Records SD 19189 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Atlantic SD 19110 stereo Nm- JEAN-LUC PONTY Enigmatic Ocean/ violin.guitar.piano US $3.00 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY - MORE THAN MEETS THE EAR (Gatefold) E (WORLD PACIFIC JAZZ) LP US $27.95 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN LUC PONTY Cosmic Messenger US $1.99 [0 bids]
JEAN-LUC PONTY - THE BEST OF JEAN-LUC PONTY - NEW CD US $3.31 Buy It Now 2 days
Aurora by Jean-Luc Ponty (CD, Aug-1990, Rhino (Label)) US $14.24 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY Enigmatic Ocean LP OOP late-70's jazz fusion Daryl Stuermer US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY QUARTET SUNDY WALK MPS YS-2110-MP Japanese Pressing OBI Vinyl LP US $0.99 [1 bids]
JEAN-LUC PONTY LP RECORD, A TASTE FOR PASSION US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Atlantic SD19136 - Jean-Luc Ponty - "Imaginary Voyage" - jazz violin US $5.95 [0 bids]
Jean-Luc Ponty Enigmatic Ocean LP Record Album Condition Very Good US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Jean-Luc Ponty - Life Enigma (CD 2001) US $9.12 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN PONTY -LUC - BEST OF JEAN-LUC PONTY NEW CD US $10.16 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY OPEN MIND RECORD ALBUM US $3.99 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN LUC PONTY UPON THE WINGS OF MUSIC VINYL LP SD18138 1975 JAZZ FUSION US $11.41 Buy It Now 2 days
JEAN-LUC PONTY CD Electric Connection ONE WAY press 60's JAZZ Violin George DUKE US $9.00 [0 bids]
JEAN LUC PONTY MYSTICAL ADVENTURES 80S ROCK ALBUM LP VINYL US $6.49 Buy It Now 2 days
The Best of Jean-Luc Ponty by Jean-Luc Ponty (CD, Dec-2009, Columbia (USA)) US $3.34 Buy It Now 2 days
Jean Luc Ponty Individual Choice Vinyl Record LP VG/EX US $2.99 [0 bids]
JEAN-LUC PONTY - COSMIC MESSENGER - ATLANTIC RECORDS LP US $5.99 [0 bids]
Tchokola - Jean Luc Ponty (Cassette 1987) NEW In Shrink US $9.09 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy JEAN-LUC PONTY music online Buy JEAN-LUC PONTY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JEAN-LUC PONTY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JEAN-LUC PONTY Aurora ratings distribution

JEAN-LUC PONTY Aurora reviews

Review by Ivan_Melgar_M
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Specialist
5 stars It was June 1991 and was in Miami for business, but it was the chance for a Peruvian to buy his first CD player, and having some money to spare (because I was hosted on an aunt's house) decided to buy at least 40 Cd's. But living in a country were Prog' was almost unknown, the record stores were like toy land for a kid, there was so much to buy, so decided to explore unknown musicians (at least by me).

I had heard comments about Jean-Luc Ponty and knew about his work with Mahavishnu Orchestra, so I asked the clerk about him. Luckily he was a proghead and told me to buy "Aurora" and if after that I still liked his music, I should get more stuff, so I followed his advice.

That night I listened the CD and was incredibly surprised, Fusion was never my favorite genre but this album was impressive, the amazing music of Jean-Luc was closer to Symphonic Prog than I ever could imagine, his style and skills are simply outstanding, delicate and strong at the same time, perfectly supported by a group of talented musicians that included Darryl Stuermer.

The album starts with the extreme violence and energy of "Is Once Enough", in this song despite the clear talent of Ponty, the real star is Patrice Rushen on keyboards, who not only supports the violin of Ponty but takes almost the lead role with her perfect style and sound. Darryl does also a great semi solo that proves he's one of the best Jazz guitar players and should never waste his time and talent with the declining Genesis of the 80's and 90's.

"Renaissance" is a calmed track made specially by and for Jean-Luc Ponty, his incredibly beautiful violin is perfectly supported by the soft and could say atmospheric drumming of Norman Ferrington, a good change of speed after the breathtaking opener.

Of course "la piece de resistance" is "Aurora" which is divided in two parts, the first one flows gently, even when you can perfectly listen all the band, the strong and distinctive sound of Ponty's violin is the star.

"Aurora" Pt 2 is more rhythmic and a better chance for the rest of the band to prove their skills, impressive bass playing by Tom Fowler taking the lead with Ponty, not as beautiful as the first part but still a perfect complement. The violin solo in the middle is outstanding.

"Passenger of the Dark" is as it's name describes more obscure and atmospheric than the previous tracks, basically is a violin solo supported by the rest of the band and a very strong guitar by Stuermer, again I wonder why Daryl didn't made all his career playing Fusion when he clearly feels more comfortable in this genre.

"Lost Forest" is in the same vein as the previous track, the dark atmospheres are preeminent over the solos and as the song develops it's clear that Jean-Luc Ponty is a fusion musician but can't leave behind his classical formation and clear Symphonic influences, something that makes his music even richer. Again Patrice Rushen is brilliant with her soft keyboards and piano, excellent song.

"Between You and Me" is weaker in comparison with all the previous material, closer to pure jazz than the rest of the songs, the band falls in the common mistake of the jazz players giving more importance to improvisation than to melody and structure, not bad but weaker.

"Waking Dream" is a very good closer, again atmospheric and melodic, returning to a more eclectic style than to clear Jazz Fusion, mysterious and dark, somehow haunting and incredibly beautiful, maybe too short, but it's said that a good musician always leaves the listener asking for more rather than tired of endless songs.

The next day I bought 4 more Jean-Luc Ponty albums because my first encounter with his solo work couldn't be better..

5 solid stars for the one of the best Jean-Luc Ponty solo albums, an unusually high rating for a proghead not too close to Fusion, but when something is great, we can't deny it.

Send comments to Ivan_Melgar_M (BETA) | Report this review (#55338) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Review by greenback
3 stars This record contains fusion music. Most of the tracks are not really fast and the amateur of virtuosos exhibition will be eventually disappointed. Actually, the musicians seem here to take it easy, and the compositions retain less my attention. It sounds in fact a bit like deja vu. The interesting & faster "Is once enough?", sounds a bit like the Zappa's 70's with all the fast keyboards a la George Duke: you guess that those musicians are really talented, although they do not totally show their potential on this record. With this album, we feel Jean-Luc Ponty begins to build his trademark sound of the 70's. The keyboardist is actually a young black female named Patrice Rushen, who really adopts a style approaching the George Duke's one. The only weak thing is the Daryl Stuermer's BLAND & DULL electric guitar sound: thanks God his rather discreet electric guitar does not take too much room.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#57176) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 20, 2005

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This album was bought by one of my brothers in 1981. It seems that he didn`t like it, because I found it "almost new" when I listened to it for the first time some weeks later. I had the curiosity to listen to this album because in the back cover guitarist Darryl Stuermer appears in the credits. At that time, I bought Phil Collins`"Face Value" album, and I knew that Darryl (or Daryl) played the guitars in that album, and I also saw a poster in a record shop where he appeared playing in concert with Genesis. It was until 1982, when I bought Genesis ` "Three Sides Live" album that I finally listened to him playing with Genesis in concert. But I also had the curiosity to listen to this "Aurora" album because I read reviews in some magazines about some Ponty`s albums which were positive about his music, and I also was "discovering" Jazz-Rock / Fusion music after I bought Bill Bruford`s "Feels Good to Me" album, also in 1981.

It took me several times of listening to this "Aurora" album before I appreciated how good it is. "Is Once Enough?" is one of the heaviest songs in the album, showing the interaction of the playing of Ponty, Stuermer and Patrice Rushen."Renaissance" is slower, with the use of a bit of auto-harp by Ponty and fine drumming by Norman Fearrington.The title song, "Aurora" is divided in two parts. The first is like an introduction to Part Two, which has some solos by Ponty, Stuermer and Rushen, and maybe some improvisation too. The end of Part Two re-uses the main melody of Part One. Side Two of the old L.P. is better, IMO. "Passenger in the Dark" is also a bit "heavy" and faster, with good guitar by Stuermer. "Lost Forest" is more "jazzy", with great use of the cymbals by Fearrington and acoustic guitar by Stuermer. My favourite song from this album is "Between You and Me", with a very good electric piano melody, good solos by Ponty and Rushen. I consider Patrice Rushen a very good musician, playing with feeling in this song in particular.I have never listened to her as soloist, but I know that she had some hits as soloist playing a mixture of Rhythm and Blues, Jazz, Soul and even some Disco music.

The less interesting song in this album for me is "Waking Dream", played without drums and with "strange sounds" to my ears.

I agree with some people who says that Stuermer is better playing Jazz-Rock / Fusion music, but I also think that he contributed very good things, mainly playing the guitar, while he played with Genesis on tour. Unfortunately, he was increasingly relegated to play the bass after the "Abacab tour". But he also showed that he is a good bassist.

In conclusion, I can say that this "Aurora" album is very good for the followers of Jazz-Rock / Fusion music, very typical in sound, IMO, of the mid-seventies Jazz-Rock/ Fusion music.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#72177) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 17, 2006

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3.5 stars really!!!

As mentioned in my other reviews of Ponty's albums of the mid to late 70's, once you have one, it is a bit like you have them all. Not that there are no difference between the albums and that some are better than others (but this will come down to private colours and tastes), but unless an absolute fan, you will recognize Ponty's work fairly easily, but will not be likely to know to which album you are listening to, as one gets definitely the feeling they are interchangeable. This remark is valid on the long run of the albums streak, but this album along with Upon The Wings Of Music were the album that served as blueprints for the later ones.

So when all albums from that period are even quality, I will generally refer to the earlier ones (such as here) for my recommendation. Somehow after leaving Mahavishnu, Ponty still retains a certain taste for the ultra fast fusion that RTF or WR report are well known for, but to me , this second half of the 70's is much less interesting than the previous half decade on the jazz rock front. As a matter of fact, the quieter tracks (such as Renaissance, here) on his albums are somehow close to ECM label jazz-rock albums, with all the risks of being sometimes close elevator music (but let me tell you that if I hear Ponty in the elevator, I will stay in it until it is finished even if late ;-). Anyway among the highlights of the album is the two-part title track, Passenger Of The Dark (where future- Genesis Darryl Struemer shines on guitar) and Lost Forest

Hardly groundbreaking, this is the type of album that was made by the dozen per year around those years, and it will be entirely up to you to see if you really have space for more than two Ponty albums in your shelves. Should you have that extra space (knowing that you must reserve more for similar artistes), might I suggest that this be one of them? And if you must have only one of them, this would also be a good choice.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#84800) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars JEAN LUC PONTY is a well-known violin virtuoso,who managed to establish himself as one of the major figures in the jazz/rock territory.Born in Avranches,France in 1942,he learned playing violin since his childhood,while he tend to love jazz music,as the years passed by.From 1964 and then PONTY released numerous jazz/rock albums,while he also worked with artists like Frank Zappa and Elton John and became a member of MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA in their second phase.In 1975,away from involving in side projects,the experienced PONTY signed with Atlantic and released one of his best albums ''Aurora''.

This release will bring you to mind the excellency of MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA,the skillful composing of BRAND X and the pleasant atmosphere of DIXIE DREGS.Of course ''Aurora'' is dominated by PONTY's superb violin work,ranging from smooth passages and parts with an intense mediterrenean flavor to countless solos,an example of PONTY's high skills and talent.His effort is supported by the distinctive electric pianos of Patrice Rushen,the electric solos and the acoustic delivery of current-''Genesis'' member Daryl Stuermer and the strong bass lines of Tom Fowler.Unlike MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA's sometimes highly emotional instrumentals,PONTY's work lies in the brighter side of life with a pleasant and melodic sound.This should appeal definitely to fans of jazz/rock music blended with progressive elements,as well as fans of the afore-mentioned bands.A nice and recommended release.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#242318) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 01, 2009

Review by The Quiet One
4 stars A Beautiful Aurora from France

The trio of, Aurora, Imaginary Voyage and Enigmatic Ocean, for me is simply essential melodic fusion. While Engimatic Ocean is considered to be the peak of Ponty's songwriting and playing, having other masterful musicians on board like Allan Holdsworth and Ralphe Armstrong, Aurora is quite forgotten, with the presence of the overlooked Daryl Stuermer on guitar duties, playing some really good stuff, both in acoustic and electric.

The only notable difference between Aurora and the following two is that this album doesn't have the unique presence of Allan Zavod's floating keyboards and synths. Aurora, keyboard-wise, is based on the Rhodes and Piano, giving an overall classy sound to the album rather than a futuristic one that is clearly shown on Enigmatic Ocean. It is a subtle charm of course, but a charm it is, nonetheless, to have predominant Rhodes rather than Synths.

The album introduces itself, like Jean-Luc has always done, in a rapid and uncontrollable manner that it is hard for someone not to be fond of this type of entries. However, the rest of the album tends to have a calmer, though not less entertaining, mood. Clearly shown in the classic composition of Ponty called Renaissance, which the first time I heard this was when I went to see 'The Rite of Strings' formed by Ponty, Meola and Clarke, fantastic version, though the one from Aurora has a warmer feel due to Patrice's piano.

The Aurora suite which can be called the highlight of the album can easily be called the predecessor of the Imaginary Voyage suite which is clearly the predecessor of the Enigmatic Ocean suite, haha. The first part of Aurora is a romantic and chilling affair with slow-paced keyboards and a gentle moving violin. The second part, on the other hand, begins in a faster way full of engaging wah-wah and intricating violin; however the tempo later calms down but Ponty and Stuermer are still on fire delivering outstanding solos.

What this album might be missing is a bit of bite, since there's not really a lot of funk influences in here, there are not many grooves which are something you expect from Ponty. However, like I stated at the beginning, the charm of Aurora is pretty much that, that it is not the funky, futuristic, jazz fusion of the following albums, Aurora tends to be a more romantic and melancholic album as a whole.

Definitely 4 stars, a highly recommended safe jazz fusion album, and if you're a Ponty fan this is a must.

Send comments to The Quiet One (BETA) | Report this review (#291792) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 24, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This album holds a special place in my heart. If I ever have heart surgery, I'll have to remind the surgeon to watch out for it. Back in the seventies, for high school credit, I interned (along with another student) at a Boston NPR radio station. We would spend long hours in an engineering booth editing reel-to-reel tapes. There were two albums in the booth: this one, and The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band "Gorilla". We would alternate these albums during our breaks. We came to love them both.

As far as I'm concerned, this was one of Jean-Luc Ponty's best albums. His Zappa influence is more prominent than on any other of his albums, except "King Kong", obviously. It also helps to have Zappa bassist Tom Fowler on board. The compositions are complex. The band is exceptional.

While no track on the album is bad, the best is Passenger Of The Dark, where not only does Ponty shine, but guitarist Daryl Stuermer plays a blistering solo.

To me, this is THE Ponty album to own.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#306865) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Post a review of JEAN-LUC PONTY "Aurora"