APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

NASA - SPIRIT OF APOLLO NEW CD US $23.29 Buy It Now 35m 15s
SPRINGBOK NUDE GIRLS Relaxzor CD Stronger Love Provider Apollo 15 trks USED US $6.26 Buy It Now 43m 14s
JAMES BROWN - REVOLUTION OF THE MIND: LIVE AT APOLLO VOL 3 NEW CD US $9.39 Buy It Now 44m 43s
GHOSTFACE KILLAH - APOLLO KIDS NEW CD US $20.97 Buy It Now 56m 3s
Apollo, James Angels we have grown apart LP NA176 EX/EX US US $27.99 Buy It Now 59m 53s
NEBULA - APOLLO NEW CD US $22.14 Buy It Now 1h 24m
THE APOLLO CLUB christmas with LP VG MG 1216 Soma Records Mono US Minneapolis US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants (CD, Mar-1992, Elektra (Label)) US $7.99 [0 bids]
APOLLO 13 / SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $15.57 Buy It Now 1h 54m
APOLLO - PAST PRESENT & FUTURE NEW CD US $21.75 Buy It Now 2h 15m
HANDEL / STANDAGE / ARGENTA / GEORGE - APOLLO E DAFNE NEW CD US $26.38 Buy It Now 2h 24m
HALL AND OATES FT D RUFFIN E KENDRICKS APOLLO LIVE INCL THE WAY YOU DO. 7" VINYL US $1.68 Buy It Now 2h 51m
BRIAN ENO - APOLLO (UK) NEW CD US $26.38 Buy It Now 2h 55m
APOLLO SUNSHINE Self Titled CD (Near Mint) US $14.11 Buy It Now 3h 23m
ADAM ANT - APOLLO 9 7" VINYL PS US $6.77 Buy It Now 3h 37m
THIN LIZZY - LIVE IN LONDON 2011 (HAMMERSMITH) (APOLLO) NEW CD US $27.54 Buy It Now 4h 5m
JAMES BROWN & THE FAMOUS FLAMES Live At The Apollo V.2 KING KS-12-1022 NM- 2LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Stockholm Sydrome - Apollo CD US $15.33 Buy It Now 4h 33m
Various Artists - Apollo 13 CD US $12.59 Buy It Now 4h 33m
LIONEL HAMPTON 1954 apollo hall concert LP VG- B 10157 L Vinyl 1954 Record US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Dirty Three - She Has No Strings Apollo CD US $18.12 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Patti & Bluebelles Labelle - At The Apollo CD US $14.49 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Spotlite On Apollo Records - Vol. 3-Spotlite On Apollo Reco CD US $15.78 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Spotlite On Apollo Records - Vol. 4-Spotlite On Apollo Reco CD US $15.67 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Spotlite On Apollo Records - Vol. 5-Apollo Records CD US $15.78 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Clyde Mcphatter - Live At The Apollo CD US $15.78 Buy It Now 4h 40m
N.A.S.A. - Spirit Of Apollo CD US $19.62 Buy It Now 4h 42m
Jerry Goldsmith - Christus Apollo CD US $19.31 Buy It Now 4h 43m
Apollo 100 - Joy-Best Of Apollo 100 CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 43m
G.F. Handel - Apollo E Dafne/Crudel Tiranno CD US $21.97 Buy It Now 4h 44m
APOLLO 440 & BEATNUTS dude descending a staircase 12" VG+ SSX 14T Vinyl 2003 US $9.00 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Australien Pink Floy - 2011-Live From The Hammersmith Apollo/Exposed In T CD US $29.95 Buy It Now 4h 48m
G.F. Handel - Apollo E Dafne CD CAVI-MUSIC US $18.96 Buy It Now 4h 50m
G.F. Handel - Apollo E Dafne The Alchymist CD US $11.81 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Banco De Gaia - Apollo CD US $17.80 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Apollo: Past Present Future CD US $17.98 Buy It Now 5h 4m
James Brown - Live At The Apollo 10/24/62 CD US $8.61 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Ghostface Killah - Apollo Kids CD US $17.01 Buy It Now 5h 8m
James Brown - Best Of Live At The Apollo-50th Anniversary CD US $14.46 Buy It Now 5h 11m
*RARE*The Apollo Records Story-Digipak-3 CD-75 Original Recordings-Some Rare!!! US $8.99 [0 bids]
Brian Eno - Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks CD US $15.90 Buy It Now 5h 17m
P.F. Cavalli - Gli Amori D Apollo E Di Dafne CD US $22.64 Buy It Now 5h 22m
G.F. Handel - Apollo E Dafne CD CPO US $20.19 Buy It Now 5h 22m
Nasa Communications - Apollo 13-The Real Mission CD US $17.08 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Paolo Apollo Negri - Cobol CD US $18.26 Buy It Now 5h 27m
B. Britten - Double Concerto Sinfonietta Young Apollo 2 Portrai CD US $11.81 Buy It Now 5h 28m
W.A. Mozart - Apollo Et Hyacinthus CD US $15.45 Buy It Now 5h 28m
W.A. Mozart - Apollo & Hyazinth/Bastien CD US $26.53 Buy It Now 5h 28m
PULICICCHIO apollo strings LP VG+ MC 5315 Vinyl Record US $28.80 Buy It Now 5h 29m
AUSTRALIEN PINK FLOY - 2011-LIVE FROM THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO/EXPOSED IN T NEW CD US $36.40 Buy It Now 5h 35m
James Brown - Live At The Apollo 1995 CD US $9.94 Buy It Now 5h 38m
CD Gettin High on Your Own Supply Apollo 440 US $4.00 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Kirsty MacColl - Angel Apollo 440 / Stuart Crichton Remixes (1993 ZTT 12" Promo) US $11.87 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Gettin High on Your Own Supply Apollo 440 MUSIC CD US $7.87 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Rhino cd APOLLO 100 Brass Construction B T EXPRESS Edgar Winter NITE-LITERS US $3.89 [5 bids]
6h
Daryl Hall & John Oates(7" Vinyl P/S)Una Noche En El Apollo-Spain-Ex/Ex US $13.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
BLISS / HANDLEY / HICKOX - CHECKMATE SUITE / HYMN TO APOLLO NEW CD US $26.38 Buy It Now 6h 6m
Various Artists - Apollo - Past Present Future - AMB0901CD US $18.57 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Live at the Apollo with David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrick (Original Recording Rema US $14.33 Buy It Now 6h 31m
APOLLO 440 krupa 12" 4 track 440 original b/wserotina remix, alcatraz within the US $8.47 Buy It Now 7h 15m
SCULPTURED - Apollo Ends (2000) Rare Opeth US $41.41 [0 bids]
GHOSTFACE KILLAH 12 REASONS TO DIE APOLLO BROWN REMIX W/COMIC AND RZA IRON FISTS US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 41m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY John Williams Lost in Space Theme w/2 EDITS PROMO DJ CD single US $34.99 Buy It Now 7h 43m
COHEED & CAMBRIA Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV CD NEW/SEALED US $8.47 Buy It Now 7h 48m
Hall & Oates Live At The Apollo RCA LP Ruffin Kendricks Motown Temptations 1985 US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 48m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY CHARLIE'S ANGELS 2000 ( 2000 CD ) US $8.47 Buy It Now 8h 7m
Apollo 440-Getting High on Your Own Supply CD Enhanced, Import Excellent US $8.47 Buy It Now 8h 35m
THE LARKS WHEN I LEAVE THESE PRISON WALLS ON APOLLO STRONG VG US $9.00 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Daryl Hall & John Oates Live Apollo - NEW SEALED - Vinyl LP Record - RCA Cutout US $17.98 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Apollo 18, They Might Be Giants, New US $15.39 Buy It Now 9h 3m
VICKY - CHEVREFEUILLE QUE TU ES LOIN / A BORD D'UN APOLLO / RCA 45RPM US $5.75 Buy It Now 9h 7m
Slip Double: Mott The Hoople : Live Hammersmith Apollo 2009 Ian Hunter US $19.84 [0 bids]
Slip Double: Franz Ferdinand : Live Tonight : Hammersmith Apollo 2009 US $36.73 [0 bids]
Slip Treble: Paul Rodgers : Live Manchester Apollo 2011 US $35.80 [0 bids]
Slip Treble: The Cranberries : Live 2012 Hammersmith Apollo London US $33.08 [0 bids]
James Apollo, 'Til your feet bleed CD Album US $4.23 Buy It Now 9h 28m
JAMES BROWN Live At The Apollo LP on King mono US $7.99 [2 bids]
JAMES BROWN Live At The Apollo Volume II 2xLP on King VG++/NM US $7.99 [0 bids]
Mackey,Hassaan & Apollo Brown - Daily Bread [Vinyl New] US $22.06 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Brown,James - Live At The Apollo 1995 [CD New] US $6.99 Buy It Now 10h 4m
JAMES BROWN live at the apollo volume 2 part 1 LP Sealed RNLP 217 Rhino 1985 US $35.00 Buy It Now 10h 10m
James Brown LIVE AT THE APOLLO High Fidelity COLORED Polydor NEW SEALED VINYL LP US $12.50 [1 bids]
1969 FERNANDO ESCANDON APOLLO 11 hemos llegado a la luna LP Sealed SKAO-19020 US $100.00 Buy It Now 10h 23m
MAN ON THE MOON THE FLIGHT OF APOLLO 11 HISTORICAL LP FREE SHIP IN USA ONLY!! US $12.00 [0 bids]
James Brown There It Is SEALED Live @ Apollo Record Store Day 2012 7" #616/5000! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Apollo Classics Brahms Hungrian Dance (CD, Sterling 22142) US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 55m
Apollo Classics: Chopin Concerto For Piano & Orchestra (CD, Sterling) US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 57m
Lucky Millinder ~ Apollo Jump; View BOTH images for details! RARE, MINT 2-CDs US $12.85 Buy It Now 11h 29m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV CD 2005 CK 93989 US $5.69 Buy It Now 11h 50m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV CD 2005 CK 93989 ROCK US $5.22 Buy It Now 11h 54m
My$t:c Djz Apollo 14 12" Vinyl Single US $16.13 Buy It Now 11h 55m
PATTI LABELLE & THE BLUEBELLES Sweethearts Of The Apollo LP on Newtown US $7.99 [1 bids]
HALL & OATES-LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1985 RCA REC. 12" PW-14178 EXC. VG+ TEMPTATIONS US $4.99 Buy It Now 12h 46m
Stravinsky conducts Apollo, Fairy's Kiss, Pulcinella, Orpheus. '65 original mono US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 53m
B.B. King - Live at the Apollo CD US $3.00 Buy It Now 12h 56m
Phantasies by Jaki Byard & Apollo Stompers CD, SOUL NOTE - SN 1075 - 1985 US $25.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for APOLLO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#65024) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#94403) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 13, 2006

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#164783) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 23, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#229614) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 02, 2009

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"