APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

APOLLO 3-FEIER DEIN LEBEN (GER) CD NEW USD $21.89 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Eddie Bo I'm Wise Happy Tears APOLLO 486 New Orleans r&b blues 78 USD $26.25 [6 bids]
Cinderella live concert Manchester Apollo 10th January 1991 A4 size poster print USD $18.84 Buy It Now 1h 38m
1952 78 rpm R&B Doo Wop APOLLO 5 ROYALES Baby Don't Do It 10 inch Record ORIGINL USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
DAVE ANGEL - THE FAMILY EP, A 3-TRACK BELGIAN IMPORT 12" VINYL, APOLLO 5, (1993) USD $12.51 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Apollo 440 - Electro Glide In Blue (1997) USD $6.27 Buy It Now 1h 52m
DOOWOP 45 RPM RECORD - THE 5 ROYALES - APOLLO 8-443 - RED VINYL USD $100.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES LIVE AT THE APOLLO RCA RECORDS AFL1-7035 RECORD ALBUM LP USD $4.50 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Taiwan Teresa Teng You Ya & Apollo Band Compilation G/F Life Label 12" CLP643 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Rare Singapore Apollo Five & The Rhythm Boy's OB Cha Cha Dance Music 12" CLP4424 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Taiwan Teresa Teng & Apollo Band G/F Chinese Life Blue Label 12" CLP4346 USD $49.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Rare Malaysia Wong Shiau Chuen ??? Apollo Band Vol.6 New Year Songs 12" CLP3535 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Taiwan Wong Foong Foong & Apollo Band 1978 Vol.6 Chinese Movie OST 12" CLP4542 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Jam & Spoon ?- Tripomatic Fairytales 2002 : Apollo 2xLP 1993 Ambient USD $25.13 [0 bids]
Unknown Artist Apollo Classics ~ Bizet-Mendelssohn CD USD $4.73 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Unknown Artist Apollo Classics ~ Saint-Saens CD USD $4.98 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Taiwan Yao Wei & Mega Rare Sunshine Choir, Travellers & Apollo Band 12" CLP4233 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Mega Rare Malaysia Lee Yee ?? White Swan & Apollo Band Vol.13 1979 12" CLP4381 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Singapore Apollo Band Pop Cha Cha Instrumental Music 12" CLP3482 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Singapore Song Peng & Rare Apollo 5 Band G/F Chinese 12" CLP3650 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Apollo & Dionysus - Avarice In Audio (2016, CD New) 882951722220 USD $28.63 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Apollo & Dionysus - Avarice In Audio (2016, CD New) USD $14.18 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Live At The Apollo, Muyiwa & Riversongz, Good USD $4.27 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Apollo Sunshine Katonah CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Avarice In Audio - Apollo & Dionysus [CD New] USD $16.26 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Avarice In Audio - Apollo & Dionysus [CD New] USD $25.98 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Singapore Lisa Wong ?? & Apollo Band Vol.5 Chinese 12" LP (LFLP569) CLP2163 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Taiwan Wong Foong Foong ??? Apollo Band 1979 Vol.9 Life Malaysia 12" CLP3773 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Mega Rare Singapore Lisa Wong & Apollo Band Vol.5 1978 Cantonese 12" CLP3881 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Singapore Apollo Band Hokkien Folk Music Rare Durian On Cover 12" LP CLP2229 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Hong Kong Frances Yip ??? ??? & Apollo Band Chinese OST Life 12" CLP3427 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Mega Rare Hong Kong Liu Feng Ping & Apollo Band Cantonese Singapore 12" CLP4550 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Mega Rare 70s Taiwan Wan Sa Lang & Apollo Band Chinese Pop Life 12" CLP4562 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Rare Malaysia Yao Yi ?? & Apollo Band Vol.1 12" LP CLP2261 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Rare Singapore Lisa Wong ?? Apollo Band 1975 Chinese Christmas Songs 12" CLP3631 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Apollo Band Music Vol.4 Sexy Bikini Rare Honda Motorbike On Cover 12" CLP3486 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Hong Kong Tam Bing Man ??? & Lydia Sum ??? Apollo Band Chinese 12" CLP2197 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Singapore Chen Mei Feng & Apollo Band Chinese Life 12" CLP3620 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
70's Malaysia Wong Shiau Chuen & Apollo Band Vol.7 Chinese 12" CLP4762 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Mudslide Apollo CD USD $4.97 Buy It Now 2h 43m
annie williams 12" ep folie apollo 23 vg+/m- uk import USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Joe Thomas Backstage At The Apollo Lavender Coffin KING 4296 78 USD $8.00 [1 bids]
Space Apollo 11 Astronauts We Came In Peace 4 All Mankind 1969 Documentary Omega USD $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Singapore Apollo & The Strollers Band Taiwan Chinese OST Theme Music 12" CLP3396 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 58m
B.B. King 1991 Live At The Apollo Mega Rare Malaysia Cassette CS063 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 59m
MUSICAL MEDICINE BY MIKE PEDECIN VERY RARE 1957 APOLLO JAZZ VINYL LP NM- USD $54.99 Buy It Now 3h
Live at the Apollo [Canada] New CD USD $7.78 Buy It Now 3h
Singapore Chen Zhi Xian & Apollo Travellers Band Chinese 12" CLP4697 USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Unknown Artist Live At the Apollo CD USD $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Hong Kong Frances Yip ??? ??? & Apollo Band Chinese Life 12" CLP2963 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Mega Rare Malaysia Lee Yee ?? White Swan & Apollo Band Vol.14 1980 12" CLP4380 USD $34.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
Various : Apollo CD (1993) USD $4.49 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Apollo Under Fire [Digipak] New CD USD $11.71 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Blackfoot live concert at Glasgow Apollo 9th of April 1982 A4 size poster print USD $18.84 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Apollo - Waterdevils (2016) CD HARD ROCK SPIRITUAL BEGGERS FIREWIND USD $5.02 [1 bids]
PAUL RODGERS - Live At Manchester Apollo CD X2 BAD COMPANY FREE USD $10.04 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Unknown Artist Apollo Classics ~ Brahms CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Unknown Artist Apollo Classics ~ Berlioz CD USD $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 21m
Unknown Artist Apollo Classics ~ Schumann CD USD $4.98 Buy It Now 3h 24m
INDIE ROCK/ Apollo Drive - Second Sight / Movin' On USD $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Bizet: Apollo Classics CD (1995) USD $4.27 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Live At The Apollo With David Ruffin & E - Hall & Oates (CD Used Very Good) USD $14.27 Buy It Now 3h 50m
Apollo Sunshine : Apollo Sunshine CD (2005) USD $3.71 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Lucky Millinder Are You Ready Apollo Jump blues jive DECCA 18529 78 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Luis Russell Don't Take Your Love From Me Sweet Memory APOLLO 78 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Mahalia Jackson Go Tell It On The Mountain Silent Night APOLLO black gospel 78 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Dice Game - 2 DISC SET - Apollo & Guilty Simpson Brown (2012, Vinyl New) USD $23.98 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Coheed and Cambria : Good Apollo, Im Burning Star IV, Volume 1: From Fear Throug USD $5.50 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World for Tomorrow [Australia] [PA] USD $15.58 Buy It Now 4h 38m
Apollo - Waterdevils USD $13.91 Buy It Now 4h 41m
Charlatans - Hammersmith Apollo, London Live [SIGNED 2xCD album] USD $19.80 [0 bids]
NASA-SPIRIT OF APOLLO (DLCD) VINYL LP NEW USD $23.60 Buy It Now 4h 45m
NASA-The Spirit Of Apollo CD NEW USD $17.14 Buy It Now 4h 45m
DIRTY THREE-SHE HAS NO STRINGS APOLLO CD NEW USD $15.73 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Apollo Stars * New CD USD $15.98 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Stravinsky : Petrushka / Apollo CD (1994) USD $3.23 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Roberta Martin Singers Come In The Room He's My Light APOLLO 261 black gospel 78 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
DOO-WOP REPRO: INSPIRATIONS-Magie/Raindrops APOLLO USD $10.95 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Unknown Artist Apollo E Dafne CD USD $5.49 Buy It Now 5h 17m
JAMES BROWN COLLECTION HITS APOLLO I & II THINK 45 SINGLES COLD SWEAT FEEL GOOD USD $339.99 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Live At the Apollo - Brown,James LP USD $28.72 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Apollo Male Chorus Soldier`s Chorus 78rpm EX USD $9.43 Buy It Now 5h 50m
Apollo Choir The Anvil Chorus- Act 2 78rpm USD $11.31 Buy It Now 5h 50m
(BO424) Apollo Four Forty, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Dub - 1997 CD USD $3.08 Buy It Now 5h 52m
DEACON BLUE LIVE IN CONCERT,MANCHESTER APOLLO,22ND NOVEMBER 2007 USD $25.13 Buy It Now 6h
NASA-The Spirit Of Apollo CD Factory Sealed! Ships in 24 hours! USD $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 8m
APOLLO 100: Joy LP (punch hole, cover in shrink) Rock & Pop USD $18.00 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Wynonie Blues Harris Playful Baby Papa Tree Top APOLLO 372 78 USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Sir Arthur Bliss: Checkmate Suite; Hymn to Apollo; Quintet for Clarinet USD $14.33 Buy It Now 6h 15m
Unknown Artist Apollo Classics Beethoven Symphony # 5 CD USD $4.07 Buy It Now 6h 24m
LEVEL 42 Live At The Apollo CD Album USD $3.12 [2 bids]
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - Stop The Rock USD $1.87 [0 bids]
(HB410) Free Swim, The Slingshot Maneouvre In Apollo 13 - DJ CD USD $3.76 Buy It Now 6h 47m
(FX484) Golden Apollo Stars - 2002 Sealed CD USD $6.27 Buy It Now 6h 50m
PAUL RODGERS- Live At Hammersmith Apollo '09 CD X2 Free Bad Company USD $15.07 Buy It Now 6h 51m
WHITESNAKE MANCHESTER APOLLO 1980: SOUNDS ARTICLE / INTERVIEW (23" x 16.5") USD $1.26 Buy It Now 7h
LENNY KRAVITZ Black Velveteen 1999 UK 2-track promo CD Apollo 440 mix USD $5.02 Buy It Now 7h 2m
5 Royales - Laundromat Blues & Too Much Lovin' - SOUNDS GOOD - Apollo 448 -78RPM USD $10.99 [0 bids]
Dice Game - Apollo & Guilty Simpson Brown (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.08 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Street Apollo Amen Why Concern Yourself TRAFFIC 45 Record wPicture Sleeve M- USD $40.00 Buy It Now 7h 11m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"