APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

78rpm 12" APOLLO GRANFORTE un nido di memorie / si puo , pagliacci USD $39.57 Buy It Now
THE UPSTARTS Open the Door, Baby APOLLO M- Listen!! USD $150.00 Buy It Now
Apollo Four Forty - Gettin' High On Your Own Supply MiniDisc Album MD 440 RARE USD $26.36 [0 bids]
Apollo Classics 2 1995 by Chopin *NO CASE DISC ONLY* USD $2.99 Buy It Now
Apollo Ensemble-3 Duets: Violin & Bassoon CD NEW USD $15.47 Buy It Now
COHEED & CAMBRIA: GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV VOL.1 CD, GREAT MUSIC, GUC USD $3.99 Buy It Now
DOO WOP 45 GOLDEN GATE QRT. WHITE CHRISTMAS ON APOLLO VG+ USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1 (Disc Only) USD $1.31 [0 bids]
RARE 1970s Vinyl LP album Rank Concert Orchestra MOON SHOT Space travel Apollo USD $13.18 [0 bids]
(AA912) James Apollo, How Hard A Heart Of Gold EP DJ CD USD $2.62 Buy It Now
APOLLO FOUR FORTY 1997- PROMO POSTCARD FLYER USD $2.11 Buy It Now
Stravinsky - The Rite Of Spring / Apollo -Birmingham Orchestra CD -Simon Rattle USD $4.26 Buy It Now
Job Lot Of Old Skool Tracks Moody Boys/Mad Max/D'Angel/X-ES/Apollo 440 Etc USD $13.18 Buy It Now
New: : Roussakis: Hymn to Apollo / Ephemeris Audio CD USD $8.47 Buy It Now
Trophies Instrumentals - Apollo Brown (Vinyl Used Like New) USD $19.18 Buy It Now
LP: HISTORICAL MAN ON THE MOON APOLLO 11~MISSION CONTROL BOOKLET~COLLECTOR EDITI USD $0.99 [0 bids]
APOLLO ORCH EINE TOURISTEN PARTIE b/w DUPPLER SCHANZENMARSCH VICTOR 63162 78RPM USD $9.95 Buy It Now
Cliff Richard - 'The Silver Tour' Programme - London Apollo-Victoria USD $8.56 [0 bids]
Byron Cage - Live at the Apollo - The Proclamation (2007) US Import CAC2 USD $5.94 Buy It Now
"5" ROYALES Laundromat Blues / Too Much Lovin' 45rpm Apollo 1953 doo-wop USD $9.99 [1 bids]
HALL OATES KENDRICK LIVE APOLLO IMPORT JAPAN CD BLUE RING RCA PCD1-7035 RARE/OOP USD $14.99 Buy It Now
LE GRAND MENAGE 45 " Quelle Famille / Le Chapelet " APOLLO Canada USD $5.55 Buy It Now 4m 11s
Mahalia Jackson Command Performance Gatefold LP 1961 Apollo Records w Book EX USD $12.00 Buy It Now 10m 12s
Live At the Apollo - Brown,James LP USD $25.34 Buy It Now 17m 26s
She Has No Strings Apollo - Dirty Three (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.92 Buy It Now 21m 44s
MARC BOLAN /T.REX - 10"x8" REPRODUCTION TICKET FRAME T.REX GLASGOW APOLLO 1977 USD $10.54 Buy It Now 32m 18s
Lionel Hampton ?- Apollo Hall Concert Dutch Import Vinyl Record USD $2.62 [0 bids]
52m 38s
CARL BRISSON - Apollo 1032 - The Manicurist / The Perfume Song - 78 VG/VG+ ('47) USD $19.50 Buy It Now 55m 17s
Apollo Under Fire - Apollo Under Fire [New CD] USD $10.46 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Apollo Under Fire - Apollo Under Fire [New CD] USD $11.91 Buy It Now 1h 7m
LPM 39153 Handel Apollo E Dafne Giebel Fischer-Dieskau Weissenborn TULIP Mono USD $13.18 Buy It Now 1h 10m
LIONEL HAMPTON 1954 APOLLO HALL CONCERT PHILIPS LP HOLLAND IMPORT USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Jack Hennig - Going My Way LP Alberta Canada Folk Autographed Apollo 70 USD $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Apollo - Neva Argue Record Rare 2008 USD $1.31 [0 bids]
MOTORHEAD TICKET STUB - EVENTIM APOLLO (HAMMERSMITH ODEON) 29TH JANUARY 2016 USD $6.58 [0 bids]
N.A.S.A.?THE SPIRIT OF APOLLO+1?JAPAN MEGA RARE SAMPLE CD NEW?EICP-1112 USD $7.99 [0 bids]
JAKI BYARD & Apollo Stompers Phantasies Steve Swell Manny Boyd LP USD $14.97 Buy It Now 1h 57m
CLANNAD concert ticket stubs x 3 (Hammersmith Apollo, London. 1988/89/91) USD $4.22 [0 bids]
NEW - Stars of the Apollo by Stars of the Apollo USD $27.50 Buy It Now 2h
Hall & Oats Live At The Apollo RCA AFL1-7035 33rpm 091417DBE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Mahalia Jackson XMAS BLACK GOSPEL 45-Apollo 750 yellow-Silent Night, Holy Night USD $3.97 Buy It Now 2h 15m
lp BRIAN ENO Apollo Atmospheres and Soundtracks EDITIONS EG ENO #5 Near Mt vinyl USD $19.95 [1 bids]
HAWKWIND 1981 TOUR PROGRAMME / PLUS 2 X TICKETS / MANCHESTER APOLLO/ PRESTON USD $19.78 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Apollo Sunshine S/T 2Xlp Vinyl Edition USD $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
SUPERSUCKERS - Live At Hammersmith Apollo & Indigo2 CD X2 ROCK USD $9.88 Buy It Now 2h 35m
Ersel Hickey, The Millionaire / Upside Down Love, Apollo 761, PROMO, Rockabilly USD $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 55m
JAMES BROWN LIVE AT THE APOLLO POLYDOR K 12826 US Reissue Vinyl LP USD $13.50 [6 bids]
THE ELEPHANT BAND - Stone Penguin / Groovin' At The Apollo (1972 7" on MOJO) USD $13.18 [0 bids]
*SEALED* VARIOUS [ STARS OF THE APOLLO THEATRE ] COLUMBIA P2 18617 USD $18.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
APOLLO MALE VOICE CHOIR - Apollo 70 : Sentinel 1974 UK vinyl LP, Cornwall Choir USD $3.28 Buy It Now 3h 10m
JAMES APOLLO ~ 'TIL YOUR FEET BLEED ~ 2010 UK 11-TRACK "PROMO" CD ALBUM [Ref.2] USD $1.31 [0 bids]
Mahalia Jackson Apollo 245 Lord's Prayer and Bless This House USD $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Bob Marley & The Wailers - "Apollo Theater New York '76" RARE IMPORT CD USD $14.99 [0 bids]
HANDEL HAENDEL APOLLO & DAFNE SILETE VENTI VIOLONS DU ROY DORIAN 053479028822 USD $6.31 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Man On The Moon LP Apollo 11 PROMO D557 USD $13.99 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Live At The Apollo CD (1990) USD $5.46 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Stravinsky: Apollo; Le Sacre du printemps (CD, EMI Music) (cd1425) USD $11.85 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Stravinsky: Petrushka; Apollo (CD, Oct-1994, Infinity Digital) (cd2879) USD $10.85 Buy It Now 4h 15m
BROWN , JAMES - LIVE AT THE APOLLO NEW VINYL RECORD USD $27.00 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Hong Kong LP Guitar Music Apollo Band ~ USD $23.40 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Apollo Sunshine by Apollo Sunshine (CD, Sep-2005, Spin Art) USD $1.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Allen Bunn Apollo Label 436 the guy with a 45 / she'll be sorry V+ USD $44.44 Buy It Now 5h 9m
GARY NUMAN -Apollo Landing 1980 -SEALED coloured Vinyl LP USD $15.00 [6 bids]
[EDM]~NM 12"~BANDERAS~APOLLO 440~She Sells~[x3]~Bide Your Time~[1991 UK IMPORT] USD $2.88 Buy It Now 5h 14m
Apollo's Fire / Sorr - Sephardic Journey: Wanderings of the Spanish Jews [New CD USD $15.41 Buy It Now 5h 19m
james brown live at the apollo record USD $2.00 [0 bids]
COLEMAN HAWKINS Yesterdays / Bu-Dee-Daht Dizzy Gillespie Max Roach Apollo 78 rpm USD $50.00 Buy It Now 5h 32m
COLEMAN HAWKINS Disorder at the Border / Feeling Zero Dizzy Gillespie Apollo 78 USD $50.00 Buy It Now 5h 37m
KEYNOTES - A STAR / I DON'T KNOW - APOLLO 1ST PRESS DOO WOP 45 RPM (1955) USD $8.95 [0 bids]
Apollo 100 : Golden Instrumental Hits CD USD $3.93 Buy It Now 5h 46m
James Brown, Live at the Apollo 1962, Excellent Live USD $7.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Coheed And Cambria: Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol I CD 2005 Columbia CK USD $6.95 Buy It Now 5h 57m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY LOST IN SPACE THEME UK 3 TRACK CARD SLEEVE CD SINGLE FREE P USD $2.37 Buy It Now 6h
The 4 Vagabonds - Yesteryear's Memories LP New Sealed Apollo 8012 Mono Doowop USD $24.00 Buy It Now 6h 4m
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 299-Roberta Martin Singers USD $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 7m
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 297-Roberta Martin Singers USD $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Live at the Apollo CD Like New USD $5.95 Buy It Now 6h 13m
Kid Capri - Apollo (1991) (VG) 12" (RARE!) Vinyl Record USD $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 15m
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 292-Roberta Martin Singers USD $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 17m
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 291-Mahalia Jackson-PROMO USD $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 18m
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 288-Prof. Alex Bradford USD $9.00 Buy It Now 6h 24m
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 286-Mahalia Jackson-PROMO USD $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 25m
Apollo's Fire / Sorr - Sephardic Journey: Wanderings of the Spanish Jews [New CD USD $19.49 Buy It Now 6h 41m
DISCLOSURE Apollo 12" Etched Vinyl RSD 2014 MINT House Dance POP Natalie Duncan USD $23.74 Buy It Now 6h 48m
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 284-Alex Bradford-PROMO USD $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Coheed And Cambria ?- Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV - 2 x LP Black Vinyl w/ DL USD $34.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m
The Larks : Spotlite on Apollo Records: Doo-Wop & Rh CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 37m
Apollo Saturday Night-1964 Atco Japan Audiophile Soul LP-SEALED! USD $49.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Vintage LP Record Hall & Oats Live at The Apollo USD $7.90 Buy It Now 7h 42m
Apollo Cobra : Motherland CD USD $5.99 Buy It Now 7h 43m
Apollo MUSIC CD USD $5.48 Buy It Now 8h 2m
NM Rare 1960's Gospel LP : Ward Singers ~ At The Apollo Theatre ~ Hanover 8011 USD $95.00 Buy It Now 8h 16m
James Brown - Live At The Apollo Volume 2 [New CD] Japanese Mini-Lp Sleeve, Japa USD $26.33 Buy It Now 8h 17m
APOLLO BROWN & SKYZOO The Easy Truth LP NEW COLORED VINYL Mello Joell Ortiz West USD $27.99 Buy It Now 8h 26m
Apollo Ra "Ra Pariah" demo tape cassette Hair Metal Glam Motley Crüe Def Leppard USD $22.50 [2 bids]
James Brown: Live At The Apollo, Remastered Deluxe 2004 Edition w/Bonus Tracks USD $12.99 [0 bids]
USD $16.99 Buy It Now
SEALED Apollo Space Program History LP WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKING USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 9m
B.B. King - Live At The Apollo (CD, 1991) Digital Master USD $4.99 [0 bids]
RARE! U.S.Original/5 ROYALES/Rockin' 5 Royales/APOLLO LP/PURPLE DEEP GROOVE LBL USD $152.50 [2 bids]
James Brown - Live At The Apollo Volume 2 [New CD] Japanese Mini-Lp Sleeve, Japa USD $28.66 Buy It Now 9h 58m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"