APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Earl Hines Sextet Flip Phillips Life With Fatha 78 VG++ Apollo Female Vocal Flip USD $17.95 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Apollo Four Forty Electro Glide In Blue Vinyl LP USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Radiohead live concert Oxford Apollo 12th of February 1995 A4 size poster print USD $18.50 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Walter Cronkite - Man on the Moon LP Apollo 11 - includes astronaut photo insert USD $2.75 [0 bids]
Waterdevils Apollo Audio CD USD $18.49 Buy It Now 2h 49m
MAHALIA JACKSON IN MY HOME OVER THERE APOLLO RECORD C2197 78 RPM USD $24.50 Buy It Now 3h 7m
USED (VG) Goldsmith: Christus Apollo (2006) (Audio CD) USD $15.85 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Complete Bird at The Apollo + 4 bonus tracks Charlie Parker Audio CD USD $18.16 Buy It Now 3h 34m
(DN358) Born Lucky, James Apollo - 2011 DJ CD USD $6.16 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Adam Ant - Vive Le Rock (1985) Vinyl PROMO .PLAY-GRADED. Apollo 9, and the Ants USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Iron Maiden live concert Apollo Theatre Oxford 5th May 1983 A4 size poster print USD $18.50 Buy It Now 3h 49m
MAHALIA JACKSON DIG A LITTLE DEEPER APOLLO RECORD C2194 78 RPM USD $19.50 Buy It Now 3h 54m
SEALED WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKIND Orig NEW LP Space Apollo Moon DECCA 1969 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
APOLLO 13 score James HORNER soundtrack CDThe Who HENDRIX Hank Williams USD $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
MAHALIA JACKSON JUST OVER THE HILL APOLLO RECORD C2330 78 RPM USD $24.50 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Various Artist APOLLO SATURDAY NIGHT ATCO 33-159 Mono LP VG+ USD $6.00 [0 bids]
MAHALIA JACKSON IT PAYS TO SERVE JESUS APOLLO RECORD C-2402 78 RPM USD $24.50 Buy It Now 4h 8m
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 198-The Willet Sisters USD $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Iron Maiden live concert Apollo Theatre Oxford 5th May 1983 A4 size poster print USD $18.50 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Iron Maiden live concert Apollo Theatre Oxford 5th May 1983 A4 size poster print USD $18.50 Buy It Now 4h 22m
LUCKY MILLINDER -Apollo Jump ~AFFINITY 1004 {nm} 1941-1945 wDizzy, Doggett RARE USD $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Iron Maiden live concert Apollo Theatre Oxford 5th May 1983 A4 size poster print USD $18.50 Buy It Now 4h 32m
Iron Maiden live concert Apollo Theatre Oxford 5th May 1983 A4 size poster print USD $18.50 Buy It Now 4h 36m
Apollo 11 Moon Landing (Rostan recording Spokane, Wa) record LP USD $3.99 [0 bids]
N.A.S.A. - Spirit of Apollo USA Shipping Included USD $4.81 Buy It Now 4h 54m
Meat Loaf live concert Manchester Apollo 29th November 1984 A4 size poster print USD $18.50 Buy It Now 5h 3m
V+ AMBROSE MANDER - CALIFORNIA & APOLLO MALE TRIO YOU WON'T BE SORRY on PERFECT USD $12.00 Buy It Now 5h 11m
DJ SOKO Domino Effect LP NEW COLORED VINYL Left Of Center Apollo Brown Clear Sou USD $21.99 Buy It Now 5h 14m
JEANNETTE APOLLO'S FIRE/SORRELL-DON QUIXOTE AND OTHER SUITES CD NEW+ TELEMANN USD $26.26 Buy It Now 5h 17m
V.A.-APOLLO SATURDAY NIGHT-JAPAN CD B50 USD $11.50 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Apollo Kerry Getz CD USD $24.69 Buy It Now 5h 38m
B.B. King: Live at the Apollo (CD, GRP (USA)) USD $8.50 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Live at the Apollo James Brown - UICY 9283 Japan LP Style New CD USD $46.95 Buy It Now 6h 8m
David Bowie CD Live Scotland 1978 Glasgow Apollo performances From Japan NEW USD $99.99 Buy It Now 6h 28m
apollo & bump school - funk juicer - Japan CD-NEW J-POP USD $17.99 Buy It Now 7h
CD. Apollo Four Forty - Gettin' High On Your Own Supply USD $5.30 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Pathe 78rpm Single - APOLLO MALE TRIO Three O'Clock in Morning / CHARLES CINWAY USD $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 15m
MAN OR ASTRO MAN?: Apollo 45 (custom sleeve) Rock & Pop USD $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 16m
Future's What It Used To Be - Apollo 440 (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.05 Buy It Now 7h 26m
JAMES BROWN "LIVE At The Apollo" KING 826 1963 MONO A-1 / B-1 FIRST CUT! USD $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 45m
CORNELL DREW-APOLLO 508 CALYPSO 45RPM EVERBODY'S TRYING TO STEAL MY GIRL USD $11.95 Buy It Now 7h 57m
The JACKAL Soundtrack - Japan OST CD - NEW Dolls Head Black Grape Apollo Four USD $18.99 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Apollo 13 Soundtrack Japan CD - NEW Hank Williams James Brown Jefferson Airplane USD $15.19 Buy It Now 8h 8m
AVARICE IN AUDIO - APOLLO & DIONYSUS (LIMITED) 2 CD NEW+ USD $30.22 Buy It Now 8h 51m
GHOSTFACE KILLAH & APOLLO BROWN 12 Reasons To Die: Brown Tape NEW CASSETTE Soul USD $10.00 [0 bids]
cyndi lauper 30th june 2016 eventim apollo london used ticket USD $6.17 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV CD BMG DIRECT CK 93989 USD $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 10m
RUN DMC - JAM MASTER JAY-LIVE AT THE APOLLO,NEW YORK 86 CD NEW+ USD $25.69 Buy It Now 9h 25m
Slip Double: Blue : The Roulette Tour 2013 Hammersmith Apollo : 2 CDs USD $43.19 Buy It Now 9h 30m
ASD 4177 - BRITTEN - Young Apollo RATTLE CoBSO - Ecxellent Condition LP Record USD $11.10 Buy It Now 9h 54m
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 1 RSD White 2LP USD $23.44 Buy It Now 9h 59m
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 2 RSD Purple 2LP USD $23.44 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Up With the Larks: The Uptempo Apollo Recordings 1951-1955 by The Larks (CD) USD $10.99 Buy It Now 10h
Live at the Apollo with David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrick Daryl Hall and John Oa USD $12.28 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Apollo 440 Carrera Rapida 2 CD album (Double CD) UK SSXBCDX SONY 1997 USD $16.40 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Locust Weathered Well 2-LP vinyl record (Double Album) Belgian AMB3929 APOLLO USD $23.76 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Barenaked Ladies - Manchester Apollo - PROMO POSTER USD $7.39 Buy It Now 11h 27m
They Might Be Giants 4 CDs: Apollo 18, Factory Showroom, John Henry, Severe Tire USD $3.89 Buy It Now 11h 34m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 3 NEW CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 13h 21m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 4 NEW CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 13h 21m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 5 NEW CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 13h 21m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 6 NEW CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 13h 21m
Apollo 440 ?- Astral America PICTURE DISC PIC RECORD USD $6.16 [0 bids]
THE 5 ROYALES Laundromat Blues APOLLO 448 hear soundclip!! USD $60.00 Buy It Now 14h
Apollo 100 - Joy - The Best Of (NEW CD) USD $10.17 Buy It Now 14h 4m
Cd soundtrack apollo four forty USD $3.69 Buy It Now 14h 5m
james brown cd live at the apollo 823 002-2 W. GERMAN IMPORT USD $9.99 Buy It Now 14h 17m
Only The Best of Apollo Records (6-CD) Box set USD $38.97 Buy It Now 14h 27m
THE 5 ROYALES I Do APOLLO 452 hear soundclip!! USD $50.00 Buy It Now 14h 51m
Patti LaBelle & The BlueBelles: Sweethearts of The Apollo NEW CD USD $10.48 Buy It Now 14h 52m
HARMONIA MUNDI - HAENDEL - APOLLO E DAFNE - MCGEGAN - NELSON - THOMAS - US - NM+ USD $12.99 Buy It Now 15h 4m
Jimmy McGriff: At The Apollo NEW CD Live USD $10.48 Buy It Now 15h 6m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 1 NEW CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 15h 10m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 2 NEW CD USD $11.48 Buy It Now 15h 11m
The Five Royals: Apollo Sessions NEW CD USD $14.97 Buy It Now 15h 11m
JAMES BROWN-LIVE AT THE APOLLO-CD 2004+4 BONUS TRACKS-NEW & SEALED USD $6.16 Buy It Now 15h 14m
Apollo Four Forty Krupa 2x12" Stealth Sonic Recordings 1996 USD $9.86 Buy It Now 15h 41m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - Electro Glide In Blue / Cassette Album Tape / 3992 USD $4.92 Buy It Now 15h 44m
Adam Ant Apollo 9 Orbit mix uk 12" USD $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 51m
Black Lace & Ice - Jt Apollo (2014, CD New) USD $12.67 Buy It Now 15h 53m
GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV, VOL. 1: FROM FEAR [USED CD] USD $9.64 Buy It Now 16h 4m
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Apollo et Hyacinthus Opera Parts 1 & 2 music 2 CDs USD $2.47 [0 bids]
Mozart,W.A. - Apollo Et Hyacinthus (CD New) USD $12.62 Buy It Now 16h 14m
USED (VG) Live at the Apollo [Vinyl] (2008) USD $35.52 Buy It Now 16h 17m
JAMES BROWN Best Of Live At The Apollo: 50th Anniversary 2012 CD NEW/UNPLAYED USD $4.31 Buy It Now 16h 20m
W.A. Mozart - Apollo Et Hyacinthus [CD New] USD $10.11 Buy It Now 16h 24m
BRIAN ENO - Apollo - Atmospheres and Soundtracks CD Ambient USD $8.01 Buy It Now 16h 33m
Lionel Hampton and HIs Orchestra Apollo Hall Concert 1954 Jazz LP USD $9.98 Buy It Now 16h 45m
Apollo Kids USD $6.71 Buy It Now 16h 51m
Lionel Hampton Apollo Hall Concert 1954 Exc - Near Mint Epic Release USD $15.00 Buy It Now 16h 53m
Matchbox twenty-Hammersmith Apollo 2001-magazine advert USD $6.16 Buy It Now 17h 7m
OLYMPIANS - SIRENS OF JUPITER/APOLLO'S MOOD (7 INCH) - VINYL USD $13.94 Buy It Now 17h 7m
Hall & Oates Live at the Apollo w/David Ruffin & Eddie Kendrick Vinyl LP - UNPL USD $12.95 Buy It Now 17h 17m
D'ANGELO Black Messiah PHOTO Print POSTER London Hammersmith Apollo Voodoo 001 USD $4.31 Buy It Now 17h 38m
D'ANGELO Black Messiah PHOTO Print POSTER London Hammersmith Apollo Voodoo 001 USD $6.16 Buy It Now 17h 38m
D'ANGELO Black Messiah PHOTO Print POSTER London Hammersmith Apollo Voodoo 001 USD $18.50 Buy It Now 17h 38m
CLASSICAL GAS APOLLO 100 LP ON MFP USD $7.39 [0 bids]
Michael Drew & John Petrone The Flight Of Apollo Eleven (1979, 33 RPM) LPJC 001 USD $3.00 [0 bids]
78 rpm Josh White Apollo 157 in E+ USD $9.99 Buy It Now 17h 56m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"