APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

HALL & OATES - - LIVE AT THE APOLLO - - 1985 OZ/NZ w INSERT USD $5.32 Buy It Now
ROBERTO ROENA Y SU APOLLO SOUND 6 VINYL LP 1974 EL QUE SE FUE, ESE SOY YO, EX USD $49.99 Buy It Now
Live At The Apollo - B.B. King 4988031112076 (CD Used Very Good) USD $13.10 Buy It Now
VARIOUS Stars Of The Apollo Theater 2xLP Magpie Rec CG-30788 US 1973 VG+ 9F USD $11.19 Buy It Now
N.A.S.A. The Spirit Of Apollo- 2 LP Color Vinyl feat Kanye West, RZA, KRS-One USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Marillion live concert Manchester Apollo 14th February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $19.77 Buy It Now
22/5/93PGN22 APOLLO BIOSPHERE BABY INTERPHASE ADVERT 7X5" USD $6.60 Buy It Now
Yesterday's Apollo (Sealed) USD $8.24 Buy It Now
Marillion live concert at Glasgow Apollo 17th February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $19.77 Buy It Now
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN -2CD SET -APOLLO THEATER - 3/9/12 USD $24.99 [0 bids]
AIRMAIL CARD - 12/09/2006 APOLLO BAY MUSIC FESTIVAL USD $7.61 Buy It Now
JOE BONAMASSA - TOUR DE FORCE-HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 2 CD NEW+ USD $25.63 Buy It Now
HANDEL - Apollo E Dafne CD ** Like New / Mint RARE ** USD $59.49 Buy It Now
HANDEL - Apollo E Dafne CD ** Excellent Condition ** USD $24.25 Buy It Now
Electro Glide In Blue, Apollo Four Forty, Good USD $3.30 Buy It Now
Sculptured CD Apollo Ends rare OOP USD $39.99 Buy It Now
RUN DMC - Live at the Apollo LP - Import Hip Hop Vinyl limited to 500 USD $22.99 Buy It Now
Apollo & Burst - Vinyl LP - Final Countdown USD $10.49 Buy It Now
JIMMY MCGRIFF - At The Apollo CD ** BRAND NEW : STILL SEALED ** USD $21.25 Buy It Now
JIMMY MCGRIFF - At The Apollo CD ** Like New / Mint ** USD $14.00 Buy It Now
PATTI LABELLE/PATTI LABELLE... - Sweethearts Of The Apollo CD ** SEALED/ NEW ** USD $17.49 Buy It Now
PATTI LABELLE/PATTI LABELLE... - Sweethearts Of The Apollo CD Like New / Mint USD $15.25 Buy It Now
Listen - APOLLO GROOVES Vol 1 - Gibby Disco 1995 Disco House Garage 12" Promo USD $2.64 Buy It Now
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Stu Phillips 25 Anniversary CD APOLLO STARBUCK dagget USD $13.99 Buy It Now
Marillion live concert Oxford Apollo 23rd of February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $19.77 Buy It Now
SPOTLITE ON APOLLO RECORDS... - Various Artists CD ** BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED ** USD $18.75 Buy It Now
THE 5" ROYALES - The Apollo Sessions CD ** BRAND NEW : STILL SEALED ** USD $25.25 Buy It Now
THE 5" ROYALES - The Apollo Sessions CD ** Like New / Mint ** USD $21.00 Buy It Now
SPOTLITE ON APOLLO RECORDS... - Various Artists CD ** Like New / Mint ** USD $14.25 Buy It Now
SPOTLITE ON APOLLO RECORDS... - Various Artists CD ** Like New / Mint ** USD $13.25 Buy It Now
SPOTLITE ON APOLLO RECORDS... - Various Artists CD ** Like New / Mint ** USD $22.25 Buy It Now
SPOTLITE ON APOLLO RECORDS... - Various Artists CD ** BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED ** USD $14.49 Buy It Now
SPOTLITE ON APOLLO RECORDS... - Various Artists CD ** Excellent Condition ** USD $11.25 Buy It Now
SPOTLITE ON APOLLO RECORDS... - Various Artists CD ** Excellent Condition ** USD $11.00 Buy It Now
SPOTLITE ON APOLLO RECORDS... - Various Artists CD ** Excellent Condition ** USD $10.00 Buy It Now
SPOTLITE ON APOLLO RECORDS... - Various Artists CD ** Like New / Mint ** USD $19.00 Buy It Now
1967 SATURDAY NIGHT AT APOLLO The Coasters The Falcons Ben E. King NORTHERN SOUL USD $39.99 Buy It Now
SUPERSUCKERS "LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH APOLLO..." 2 CD NEW+ USD $21.97 Buy It Now
THE LARKS (NEW YORK) - The Apollo Sessions CD ** Excellent Condition RARE ** USD $43.75 Buy It Now
DIO - LIVE IN LONDON-HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993 2 CD NEW+ USD $22.50 Buy It Now
Mahalia Jackson Command Performance Apollo Records 1961 VG/EX Gatefold USD $32.98 Buy It Now
Coheed and Cambria - Good apollo i'm Burning Star IV (vol 1 from fear USD $3.94 [0 bids]
The Charlatans - Live At Manchester O2 Apollo 2010 - 2 CD - New USD $2.63 Buy It Now
JAMES BLUNT Moon Landing Apollo Edition CD/DVD BRAND NEW NTSC Region All USD $17.39 Buy It Now
Apollo Four Forty : Gettin High on Your Own CD (2000) USD $3.91 Buy It Now
Apollo Four Forty : Gettin High on Your Own CD (2000) USD $4.97 Buy It Now
LIONEL HAMPTON - STAR DUST LIVE AT APOLLO CONCERT HALL 7" 45 RECORD PIC SLV 1954 USD $7.53 Buy It Now
JAMES BROWN - Live At The Apollo CD JAPAN UICY-77129 NEW 2015 USD $55.85 Buy It Now
JAMES BROWN - Live At The Apollo Volume II CD JAPAN UICY-77137 NEW 2015 USD $78.51 Buy It Now
UFO - 8th January 1982 - Apollo Manchester - Concert Ticket Stub USD $13.13 Buy It Now
MEAT LOAF - 25th November 1984 - Apollo Theatre Oxford - Used Ticket Stub USD $17.08 Buy It Now 32s
Ultimate Vocal Collection Vol.1 - Japan CD - NEW APOLLO USD $13.90 Buy It Now 2m 19s
BRIAN ENO - Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks CD JAPAN VJCP-98055 NEW 2013 USD $99.23 Buy It Now 24m 8s
Alternative TV - Apollo (2002) NEW SEALED PUNK CD USD $10.54 Buy It Now 29m 20s
Killing Joke: Live At Hammersmith Apollo (2-CD) USD $8.97 Buy It Now 41m 56s
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS-APOLLO 18 CD NEW USD $16.63 Buy It Now 1h 3m
NIKOLAUS HARNONCOURT / HANDEL apollo e dafne / TELDEC USD $19.99 [0 bids]
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1 (From Fear Throu... USD $2.63 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Apollo Four Forty ?- Electro Glide In Blue [USED - VGC] USD $11.42 Buy It Now 1h 35m
APOLLO 100 FT TOM PARKER ?- Master Pieces (LP) (VG-EX/EX-) USD $5.26 Buy It Now 1h 49m
Slayer live concert at Manchester Apollo 20th of April 1987 A4 size poster print USD $19.77 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Apollo 440 Rumble EP 12" Stealth Sonic 1993 USD $10.54 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Apollo USD $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Grandeur - Brown,Apollo LP USD $28.69 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Lionel Hampton Live - Apollo Hall Concert USD $5.92 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Lionel Hampton - Apollo Hall Concert 1954 - Jazz LP - EPIC LN 3190 USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Stealth Sonic Soul-Apollo 12"-LIMBO, LIMBO 011T, 1993, 3 Mix USD $7.85 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Loose Ensemble-Apollo Funk 12"-FOUNDATION, FMS, 3 2 Track USD $7.85 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Apollo 440-Aint Talking Bout Dub CDS-SONY, SSXCDX6, Card Sleeve 6 Mix USD $3.89 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Apollo 440-Aint Talking Bout Dub CDS-SONY, SSXCD6, Card Sleeve 4 Track USD $3.89 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Dave Spoon-Bad Girl CDS-APOLLO, CDR PROMO, 9 Mix USD $5.21 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Dave Spoon feat. Lisa Maffia-Bad Girl (At Night) CDS-Apollo Recordings, CDR Prom USD $6.53 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Dino And Terry / Apollo Grooves-Gibby Disco 12"-Sugar DADDY, SDR003 White Label USD $7.85 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Apollo 440-Electro Glide In Blue CD-Sony, SSX244CD, Jewel Case 11 Track 1997 USD $6.53 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Apollo 440-Krupa 10"-STEALTH SONIC, SSR5THREE, 1996, Picture Sleeve LP / NEW YOR USD $7.19 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Apollo 440-Lost In Space CDS-SONY, SSX9CD, Card Sleeve 3 Track USD $3.89 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Apollo 440-Krupa 2X12"-Stealth Sonic Recordings, ssr5two, 1996, DBLPROMO Picture USD $10.49 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Route 33 Featuring Alex James-Looking Back 12"-Apollo Recordings, APOLLO108TX, 2 USD $7.85 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Lost In Space OST 1998 film soundtrack cd VA NEW!!! Broughton Apollo 440 Fatboy USD $1.31 [0 bids]
78-DOO-WOP-LARKS-OOH, ...IT FEELS SO GOOD/I DON'T BELIEVE IN TOMORROW on APOLLO USD $70.00 [1 bids]
78-BLUES-AL BIAS/BOBBY SMITH-BAD PECKER/UNDER COVER BABY on APOLLO-1951-RARE! USD $5.00 [1 bids]
HALL & OATES * A NITE AT THE APOLLO EVERYTIME YOU GO AWAY & THE WAY YOU DO ... USD $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Billy Idol live concert Manchester Apollo 30th of July 2008 A4 size poster print USD $19.77 Buy It Now 4h 22m
Roberto Roena Super Apollo 47:50 Fania Ex Vinyl USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 25m
BROWN,APOLLO-GRANDEUR (COLV) VINYL LP NEW USD $28.79 Buy It Now 4h 48m
Charlatans - Hammersmith Apollo, London Live [SIGNED 2xCD album] USD $20.78 [0 bids]
ROBERTO ROENA Y SU APOLLO SOUND - AFUERA Y CONTENTO - LP VINYL SALSA MINT USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Stone Roses Live at the Manchester Apollo 23rd December 1995. Very rare 2 x CDs USD $13.18 [0 bids]
5h
EDDIE BO Please forgive me I'll be satisfied Apollo USD $49.99 Buy It Now 5h
WILLIE BRYANT WITH TAB SMITH SEPTETTE-VERY RARE 78 RPM RECORD ON APOLLO LABEL USD $2.99 [0 bids]
USD $3.99 Buy It Now
MEGA RARE JAZZ : "LIONEL HAMPTON APOLLO HALL CONCERT 1954" EPIC LN 3190 1955 USD $7.75 Buy It Now 5h 8m
S. Taneyev: Apollo's Temple In Delphi/Sym. 2 Fedoseyev, Melodiya 33-C10-08045-46 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 5h 14m
N.A.S.A-The Spirit of Apollo CD Very Good USD $2.98 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 5 NEW CD USD $6.95 Buy It Now 5h 34m
Apollo 100 featuring Tom Parker Mega 615-0050 Joy USD $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 41m
HALL & OATES - LP - Live At The Apollo (USA 7 trk LP) PS USD $9.89 Buy It Now 5h 44m
H. Henze - In Lieblicher Blaue-Kammermusik 1958 Apollo Et Hya [CD New] USD $14.91 Buy It Now 5h 46m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for APOLLO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"