APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

The Sounds-The People Our Journey to the Moon OCP-2001 Oreco Records Apollo 11 USD $3.99 [0 bids]
USD $6.00 Buy It Now
SEALED LP -- Apollo Astro Disco 12" single Motown #M00018D1 USD $3.00 Buy It Now
FRANZ FERDINAND Live Tonight Hammersmith Apollo 2009 2-CD Live Here Now USD $31.41 Buy It Now
NEW Apollo: Tribute to the Miles Davis Quintet (Audio CD) USD $14.87 Buy It Now
DJ Mike Dineen 1969 Radio Show over WQXI Atlanta incl 1969 music USD $9.50 Buy It Now
She Has No Strings Apollo - Dirty Three LP USD $25.95 Buy It Now
REISSUE DOO-WOP GROUP LP - THE KEYNOTES - APOLLO 1000 - "THE BEST OF" USD $20.00 Buy It Now
The 5 Royales 78 Take All Of Me APOLLO USD $20.00 Buy It Now
KEYNOTES: Really Wish You Were Here APOLLO Doo Wop R&B 45 VG+ USD $10.00 Buy It Now
THE LARKS: No Mama No / Honey from Bee APOLLO R&B Doo Wop 45 VG+ USD $10.00 Buy It Now
The Opals "My Hearts Desire" Apollo 462-X45 & AP-3498 Super Rare Doo Wop USD $25.00 [0 bids]
Chopin : Apollo Classics 2 CD (1995) USD $4.00 Buy It Now
Adam Ant Apollo 9 Blast Off Mix 7" UK MN/Mint New Wave 80's USD $6.00 Buy It Now
Chuck Edwards 45 Just for a day / she carried me all over town Apollo 3574 USD $0.99 [0 bids]
NEW Apollo Concert 1954 (Vinyl) USD $26.79 Buy It Now
Alexander O'Neal Live At The Hammersmith Apollo London 2 CD 14 Tracks MINT USD $5.02 Buy It Now
JOHNNY APOLLO~Dorothy Lamour~Burgess Meredith~otr CD USD $6.25 Buy It Now
Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes of Madn USD $20.08 Buy It Now
V.A.-APOLLO SATURDAY NIGHT-JAPAN CD B50 USD $11.99 Buy It Now
Hall & Oates Live At The Apollo Cd USD $3.80 [0 bids]
USD $7.50 Buy It Now
FRANK HAYWOOD-You Gotta Give It Up/Baby Maybe I Can Change Your Mind-APOLLO 1004 USD $13.50 Buy It Now
Hall & Oates Live Apollo W David Ruffin Eddie Kendrick Lp VG+ 1985 AFL1-7835 RCA USD $2.99 [0 bids]
COHEED AND CAMBRIA GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV, FROM FEAR Dream Theater USD $6.99 Buy It Now
Apollo by Nebula (CD, Feb-2006, Liquor And Poker Music BRAND NEW, SEALED) USD $5.00 [0 bids]
STARS OF THE APOLLO THEATRE Double Vinyl LP Record (Columbia Mono Gatefold) MONO USD $8.99 Buy It Now
NEW At the Apollo (Audio CD) USD $18.59 Buy It Now
James Brown Live At The Apollo Theatre Purple Colour Limited Vinyl PURPLE1000 USD $33.53 [0 bids]
The Casanovas "Please Be My Love" Apollo 477 Doowop 45 rpm original USD $149.99 [0 bids]
LOST IN SPACE-The Crystal Method-APOLLO FOUR FORTY-Juno Reactor-DEATH IN VEGAS USD $7.89 Buy It Now
Ravel - Apollo Classics, Trio Zingara, York, Nicholas, Es, Good USD $2.20 Buy It Now
Apollo Classics, Rachmaninoff, Very Good Import USD $2.20 Buy It Now
Bizet: Apollo Classics, , Good Import USD $2.20 Buy It Now
Live at the Apollo by B.B. King (CD, Apr-1991, GRP (USA)) greatest blues guitar USD $4.95 Buy It Now
APOLLO 13 45 RPM JOY / EXERCISE IN A MINOR GOOD VINYL 450012 USD $1.00 [0 bids]
Joy Apollo 100 Featuring Tom Parker Mega M31-1010 J.S. Bach Stereo LP USD $4.80 Buy It Now
Apollo sound group 7" vinyl. 1973, Polzeath Cornwall. - Signed by the group. USD $12.57 [0 bids]
Apollo 440 - Millennium Fever (CD 1994) USD $1.89 [0 bids]
Apollo 440 - Electro Glide In Blue (CD 1997) Blue Inlay Tray USD $1.89 [0 bids]
APOLLO FOUR FORTY AIN'T TALKIN BOUT DUB ARMAND VAN HELDEN USD $6.27 Buy It Now 3h 30m
The Frantic Four Reunion 2013: Live at Hammersmith Apollo [4029759089377] New CD USD $14.29 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Roussakis: Hymn to Apollo / Ephemeris CD USD $0.79 [1 bids]
Various Stars Of The Apollo Theatre 2LP CBS 67203 EX/EX 1973 double LP, mono, wi USD $14.45 Buy It Now 3h 55m
APOLLO MALE VOICE CHOIR - Apollo 70 : Sentinel 1974 UK vinyl LP, Cornwall Choir USD $3.13 [0 bids]
T POLAR - Apollo EP - Vinyl (12") USD $12.49 Buy It Now 4h 16m
APOLLO 13 (PROMOTIONAL SCORE) /James Horner/TOP RARE PROMO CD MINT USD $59.99 [0 bids]
Queensryche live concert Manchester Apollo 10 February 1995 A4 size poster print USD $18.84 Buy It Now 4h 45m
HALL & OATES LIVE AT THE APOLLO ( 1985 VINYL LP ) USD $11.30 Buy It Now 4h 56m
APOLLO 440 cd ELECTRIO GLUDE in BLUE 11 track version KRUPA aint talkin ab dub USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Live at the Apollo [Robert Palmer] [826992000527] New CD USD $11.43 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Sephardic Journey: Wanderings of the Spanish by Apollo's Fire (Avie) (Audio CD) USD $20.75 Buy It Now 5h 21m
APOLLO Obscure FUNK SOUL LP GORDY 985 RI USD $18.00 Buy It Now 5h 31m
Apollo 440 Lolita 12" Stealth Sonic Recordings 1991 RVB T 001 USD $10.04 Buy It Now 5h 35m
RUPIE MARTIN / APOLLO 10 / CHARLEY ACE / DEATH IN THE ARENA / 7''/ VG+ USD $8.98 [1 bids]
COHEED & CAMBRIA Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol 1 CD NEW USD $11.88 Buy It Now 6h 27m
Marillion live concert at Glasgow Apollo 17th February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $18.84 Buy It Now 6h 36m
THE APOLLO 12" LP Cow Boy's Cha Cha LIFE Labei LFLP-372 Singapore USD $11.99 Buy It Now 6h 44m
THE LARKS nm lp on APOLLO, 60'S USD $19.95 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Buddy Holly Apollo New York 16" x 12" Photo Repro Concert Poster USD $6.28 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Man On The Moon, Apollo 11, Narrated By Walter Cronkite, CBS Records, D557 USD $16.99 Buy It Now 7h 35m
Sonny Greer and his All Stars 45 RPM EP - Apollo EP 610 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 7h 47m
Stravinsky Le Sacre Du Printemps Apollo BSO/Simon Rattle CD Album. 1989. USD $5.64 Buy It Now 7h 48m
A2848 DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES / LIVE AT THE APOLLO (JAPAN) RPCD-1013 FOLD-IN OBI USD $74.99 Buy It Now 8h 5m
JIMMY MCGRIFF - at the apollo - SUE 1017. Gd/gd USD $19.99 [0 bids]
APOLLO 440 - ASTRAL AMERICA - 4 MIX DANCE CD SINGLE USD $2.50 Buy It Now 8h 37m
James Brown Revue - Live At The Apollo 1972 (NEW 2 x 12" VINYL LP) USD $43.10 Buy It Now 8h 39m
APOLLO SMILE Tape Cassette SELF TITLED ALBUM 1991Geffen Records DGCC-24299 USD $7.41 Buy It Now 9h 3m
ARCTIC MONKEYS At The Apollo Japan DVD for Music Store Alex Turner USD $53.99 Buy It Now 9h 7m
The Keynotes . I Don't Know b/w A Star . 1955 Apollo Records 45 rpm VG LISTEN USD $27.99 Buy It Now 9h 11m
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1 (From Fear Throu... USD $1.24 Buy It Now 9h 12m
JAMES APOLLO angels we have grown apart 10" VG+ NA176 Vinyl 2008 First Press USD $30.00 Buy It Now 9h 25m
CELLOS~UNDER YOUR SPELL~THE JUICY CROCODILE~APOLLO 515~~ R&B 45 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 26m
Power Of Love: Arias From Handel Operas - Handel / Apollo's (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.90 Buy It Now 9h 31m
PENN & TELLER SIGNED PROGRAMME WITH SIGNED TICKETS HMV APOLLO THEATRE 2010 RARE USD $119.41 Buy It Now 9h 33m
Apollo 1979 self titled Gordy VG+ funk disco PROMO USD $8.00 [0 bids]
Power Of Love: Arias From Handel Operas - Handel / Apollo's Fire (2015, CD New) USD $15.02 Buy It Now 9h 39m
James Brown - James Brown Live At The Apollo - Vinyl LP Mono US 1963 USD $42.67 [0 bids]
WILLIE BRYANT APOLLO 409 blues around the country RARE R&B BLUES 78 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 9h 47m
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 1 RSD White 2LP USD $23.87 Buy It Now 9h 50m
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 2 RSD Purple 2LP USD $23.87 Buy It Now 9h 50m
Handel / Apollo's Fire / Sorrell - Power Of Love: Arias From Handel Ope [CD New] USD $14.90 Buy It Now 9h 55m
78 RPM Single -Apollo Records-Little Sans & Lee-"Dark Town Strutters Ball" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 7m
JAMES BROWN-LIVE AT THE APOLLO VOL II ON KING FUNK LP-NM, DG USD $30.00 Buy It Now 10h 9m
GO OST CD Soundtrack Ft No Doubt Len BT Apollo 440 Goldo Eagle-Eye Cherry DJ Rap USD $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 9m
N.A.S.A. The Spirit Of Apollo VINYL 2xLP Tom Waits Frusciante David Byrne NASA USD $26.99 Buy It Now 10h 10m
1957 The Cellos 45 Record Under Your Spell - Juicy Crocodile Apollo USA USD $9.87 Buy It Now 10h 12m
Best of Live At the Apollo 50th Anniversary - Brown,James SHM-CD USD $41.37 Buy It Now 10h 14m
APOLLO 804 78-BOBBY SMITH -TIPPIN IN -AFTER HOURS-BLUES/JUMP BLUES USD $24.99 [0 bids]
JAMES BROWN-LIVE AT THE APOLLO EP ON KING FUNK 45 USD $60.00 Buy It Now 10h 20m
MAN ON THE MOON APOLLO 11 Reel To + 8 MM Official NASA Footage Color Home Movie! USD $5.24 [2 bids]
Handel,G.F. - G.F. Handel: Apollo E Dafne & (CD New) USD $14.58 Buy It Now 10h 32m
Slip Double: Gary Numan : Obsession Live Hammersmith Apollo 2014 : 2 CDs Sealed USD $37.70 [0 bids]
Andrew Bean & The Lady Apollo Wreckage of My Youth CD ***NEW*** USD $6.06 Buy It Now 10h 41m
Apollo Four Forty ?- Krupa : Stealth Sonic Recordings USD $0.62 [0 bids]
APOLLO 440 RARE UKR ORIGINAL SPEC RUS VERSION CD NEW TECHNO ELECTRONIC BIG BEAT USD $10.99 Buy It Now 10h 50m
G.F. Handel - G.F. Handel: Apollo E Dafne & [CD New] USD $15.53 Buy It Now 10h 56m
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: Coheed and Cambria CD USD $7.61 Buy It Now 11h 12m
Apollo 440 - Electro Glide in Blue (CD) USD $2.70 Buy It Now 11h 14m
HALL AND OATES APOLLO LIVE 45 RPM PICTURE SLEEVE ONLY USD $3.00 Buy It Now 11h 21m
sealed spoken word space documentary LP Man & the Moon Apollo 11 WBBM radio 1969 USD $11.98 Buy It Now 11h 26m
Live at Apollo * by Brother Firetribe (CD, Mar-2010, Spinefarm Records) USD $16.33 Buy It Now 11h 29m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"