APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Live at the Apollo [Remaster] by James Brown USD $8.99 Buy It Now
Live at the Apollo by Various CD USD $4.23 Buy It Now
Apollo & Skip Fwithus CD USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Best of Live at the Apollo 0602537146444 by James Brown, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P USD $17.75 Buy It Now
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World for Tomorrow [Australia]... USD $8.91 Buy It Now
JAMES APOLLO - HIDE YOUR HEART IN A HIVE - CD, 2007 USD $5.13 Buy It Now
BEN HARPER - Live at the Apollo - CD ** Brand New ** USD $12.95 Buy It Now
Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks by Brian Eno (CD, Mar-2005, Virgin) USD $4.25 [2 bids]
The Stranglers-Apollo UK CD Pilot160 OOP USD $9.99 Buy It Now
N.A.S.A. - Spirit of Apollo [New CD] USD $13.74 Buy It Now
N.A.S.A. - Spirit of Apollo [New CD] USD $15.02 Buy It Now
DAVID GATES & BREAD LABATTS APOLLO HAMMERSMITH 27/10/1997 TICKET STUB USD $1.30 Buy It Now
LUCUST-no one in the world-RARE 1993 SLACKER REMIX-APOLLO RECs UK 12" USD $3.10 Buy It Now
Charlie Parker: Bird at the Apollo 12" (used) USD $10.50 Buy It Now
THE BOOTLEG BEATLES LABATT'S APOLLO HAMMERSMITH 03/12/1995 TICKET STUB USD $1.30 Buy It Now
DVD B.B. KING Live at The Apollo Manchester, 1991 10 performances 52 minutes USD $12.65 Buy It Now
APOLLO SATURDAY NIGHT: Ben E King, Rufus Thomas, Otis Redding ATCO Soul LP USD $9.99 [0 bids]
MOTT THE HOOPLE - LIVE AT HMV HAMMERSMITH APOLLO '09 (2 CD SET) NEW CONCERT LIVE USD $10.99 Buy It Now
Stranded I, Apollo Audio CD USD $6.00 Buy It Now
APOLLO FOUR FORTY_Electro Glide In Blue_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA_O3 USD $8.93 Buy It Now 38m 9s
1952 78 rpm R&B Doo Wop APOLLO 5 ROYALES Baby Don't Do It 10 inch Record ORIGINL USD $19.00 Buy It Now 47m 56s
Coheed And Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star Cd USD $6.50 Buy It Now 54m 46s
COHEED AND & CAMBRIA Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol 1 CD 2005 NEW Sony USD $3.84 Buy It Now 58m 7s
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 1 RSD White 2LP USD $24.73 Buy It Now 1h 18m
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 2 RSD Purple 2LP USD $24.73 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Play Bach/Tartini/Casals/& by Apollo USD $13.46 Buy It Now 1h 35m
N.A.S.A.- THE SPIRIT OF APOLLO-17 TRACK CD featuring TOM WAITS-DAVID BYRNE USD $8.92 Buy It Now 1h 37m
cyndi lauper 30th june 2016 eventim apollo london used ticket USD $6.51 [0 bids]
RY COODER - 20th June 1988 - Manchester Apollo - Used Ticket Stub USD $12.96 Buy It Now 1h 48m
RY COODER - 29th October 1980 - Manchester Apollo - Used Ticket Stub USD $16.87 Buy It Now 1h 50m
APOLLO NOVE - Res Inexplicata Volans - CD ** Brand New ** USD $9.75 Buy It Now 1h 52m
RY COODER - 26th June 1990 - Manchester Apollo - Used Ticket Stub USD $12.96 Buy It Now 1h 56m
APOLLO SUNSHINE - Apollo Sunshine - CD ** Brand New ** USD $15.95 Buy It Now 2h 15m
APOLLO SUNSHINE - Apollo Sunshine - CD ** Like New - Mint ** USD $9.75 Buy It Now 2h 15m
78 RPM The 5 Royales APOLLO 454 Cry Some More USD $16.25 Buy It Now 2h 22m
James Brown - Live At The Apollo (1962) (NEW CD) USD $9.43 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Apollo Votary Jones Rising CD USD $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 6m
VOLUME 1-GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV NEW CD USD $15.53 Buy It Now 4h 50m
They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18 LP (1992, Elektra) VG+/VG+ USD $20.83 Buy It Now 5h 8m
Joe Bonamassa - Tour de Force: Live in London - Hammersmith Apollo [New CD] USD $17.44 Buy It Now 5h 23m
Stranded I, Apollo Audio CD USD $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 35m
VOLUME 1-GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV USED - VERY GOOD CD USD $7.73 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Apollo 100 ~ 45 rpm Vinyl Record ~ Hit Tune: Joy (Bach Ode to Joy) USD $1.19 [0 bids]
USD $1.79 Buy It Now
BOB MARLEY APOLLO THEATRE NEW YORK 1979 FRAMED CONCERT TOUR POSTER USD $49.48 Buy It Now 6h 39m
Coheed and Cambria : Good Apollo, Im Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Thro USD $4.00 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Dvorak : Apollo Classics CD (1995) *CD MINT* FREE POST USD $3.89 Buy It Now 7h
Variations on Theme By Frank Bridge, Op. 10 / Young Apollo, Op. 16 / Lachrymae, USD $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 14m
Bonzo Dog Band(7" Vinyl 1st Issue)Mr Apollo / Ready-Mades-Liberty-UK-Ex/Ex+ USD $27.86 Buy It Now 8h
33 RPM Vinyl Voyage To The Moon Apollo 11 Mission RCA Records 45SM3 USD $17.99 Buy It Now 8h 45m
33 RPM Vinyl Wolfgang Mozart Apollo Et Hyacinthus Deutsche Grammophon 012615SM USD $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 54m
Stravinsky APOLLO MUSAGETES Britten Variations on a Theme Czech Vlach SUA 10509 USD $3.65 Buy It Now 9h 20m
ROBERTO ROENA Y SU APOLLO SOUND - EL PUEBLO PIDE QUE TOQUE 1994 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 9h 22m
CELLOS: Under your Spell / Juicy Crocodile APOLLO DOO WOP ORIG 45 VG+ CLEAN! USD $50.00 Buy It Now 9h 37m
APOLLO 100 - Joy / Exercise In A Minor - 1971 NEAR MINT- CANADA PRESSING USD $2.92 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Live At The Apollo B.B. King Audio CD USD $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 44m
ROCKABILLY 45 RPM RECORD - MEL ALBERT - APOLLO 537 - PROMO USD $50.00 Buy It Now 9h 55m
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of... USD $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 57m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY STOP THE ROCK ESCA-8054 JAPAN CD Z-4995 USD $6.00 [0 bids]
HALL & OATES RARE LIVE AT APOLLO OOH YEAH & BIG BAM BOOM ORIGINAL RELEASES +LIVE USD $84.99 Buy It Now 10h 2m
BRIAN ENO - APOLLO-REMASTER 2005 CD 12 TRACKS CLASSIC ROCK NEW+ USD $16.06 Buy It Now 10h 25m
KEYNOTES 45 A Star / I don't know APOLLO Doowop VG+ vinyl c1900 USD $21.00 Buy It Now 10h 32m
AC/DC Bon Scott ticket Glasgow Apollo 28/10/79 Highway to Hell tour USD $97.68 Buy It Now 10h 47m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY Gettin' High On Your Own Supply (CD 1999) Electronica 13 Track USD $8.95 Buy It Now 10h 55m
Hall & Oates - Live At The Apollo - Rock LP SEALED USD $14.99 Buy It Now 11h 8m
GHOSTFACE KILLAH - APOLLO KIDS [PA] NEW CD USD $11.90 Buy It Now 11h 11m
AUSTRALIAN PINK FLOYD SHOW: LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 2011 NEW BLU-RAY USD $22.30 Buy It Now 11h 11m
GOLDEN ERA OF DOOWOPS, APOLLO RECORDS PART 2 (CD, RELIC)BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED USD $13.90 Buy It Now 11h 20m
APOLLO 100 - Joy - The Best Of - Pop Instrumental USD $24.19 Buy It Now 11h 25m
70's Singapore Lisa Wong & The Apollo Band Cantonese 12" CLP4945 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 26m
Hong Kong LP Guitar Music Apollo Band ~ USD $23.40 Buy It Now 11h 26m
Jack Dee / Live At The Apollo - CD NEW USD $9.99 Buy It Now 11h 26m
Singapore Lisa Wong & Apollo Band Cantonese 12" CLP4962 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
LONGINGS PAST Meadows of Maseilya CD MANILLA ROAD THUNDER RIDER APOLLO RA USD $0.99 [1 bids]
STARS OF THE APOLLO THEATRE - NEW 2 X CASSETTE TAPE USD $8.85 Buy It Now 11h 53m
TRIBULANCE Trials & tribulations CD AGGRESSOR CRIMSON GLORY APOLLO RA USD $3.76 [2 bids]
APOLLO 440 - AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT DUB (4 track CD single) USD $2.54 Buy It Now 12h 21m
Mahalia Jackson The Lord's Prayer / Silent Night 45 RPM Single Apollo Records USD $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 26m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA Good Apollo IV Vinyl Red White Sold Out Exclusive LP USD $50.00 [12 bids]
Kid Gloves - Self Titled (LP) VG+/ NM >1972 Buddah > Tom Parker > Apollo 100>JOY USD $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 34m
VARIOUS ARTISTS-Last of the Garage Unknown Vol. 3-VINYL LP-Kinetics-Apollo's Ap USD $25.00 Buy It Now 12h 40m
BROCHURES APOLLO 757 THEY LIED M- DJ $60.00 USD $60.00 Buy It Now 12h 53m
Weissenborn/Giebel/Fischer-Dieskau HANDEL Apollo e Danfne - DGG 139 153 SEALED USD $17.00 Buy It Now 13h
Live at the Apollo by B.B. King (CD, Apr-1991, GRP (USA)) greatest blues guitar USD $3.95 Buy It Now 13h
APOLLO BIOSPHERE APHEX TWIN LOCUST UNDERWORLD NEW+SEALED CD 2009 AMBIENT TECHNO USD $1.29 [1 bids]
HOLLYWOOD - Apocalypse Kiss (12" 1996) Apollo 440 Pascal Gabriel Xenomania USD $3.89 [0 bids]
V/A - Location Apollo (Mixed By TALL PAUL) (UK Superdrug Excl 8 Tk CD Album) USD $3.89 Buy It Now 13h 43m
Apollo 100 ?- Joy / Tamara Young Blood ?- YB-102042 UK Vinyl 7" Single 45 USD $7.75 [0 bids]
Neil Young live concert Manchester Apollo 12th March 2008 A4 size poster print USD $19.52 Buy It Now 13h 50m
Jack McVea - That's The Stuff You Gotta Watch on Apollo Records 361 78RPM USD $19.99 Buy It Now 13h 59m
Hager/Mathis/Wulkopf/Auger MOZART Apollo et Hyacinthus - DG 2707 129 SEALED USD $25.50 Buy It Now 14h
James Brown-Live at the Apollo 1962 VINYL NEW USD $25.35 Buy It Now 14h 2m
NICK APOLLO - Luv Ya Country / Beans 'N' Sardines - 45rpm USD $3.25 Buy It Now 14h 8m
Wynonie Harris & Illinois Jacquet - Wynonie's Blues on Apollo Records 362 78RPM USD $17.99 Buy It Now 14h 9m
Stravinsky Orpheus Apollo Columbia Symphony Orchesta LP vinyl USD $5.20 Buy It Now 14h 10m
SWAT soundtrack CD score ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL ost Danny Saber APOLLO 440 USD $13.99 Buy It Now 14h 13m
Lionel Hampton Apollo Hall Concert 1954 LN 3190 Record USD $1.99 Buy It Now 14h 16m
APOLLO FORTY FOUR - "STOP THE ROCK" / 3 MIXES / EPIC-550 MUSIC / '99 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 17m
ROBERTO ROENA Y Su Apollo Sound 6 LP on International USD $7.99 [1 bids]
ROBERTO ROHENA Apollo Sound LP on Up USD $7.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"