APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Robert Plamer - Live at the Apollo (2001) CD SPEEDYPOST USD $2.26 Buy It Now 37m 33s
78RPM Apollo 441 The 5 Royales, You Know I Know / Courage to Love strong Poor USD $10.95 Buy It Now 42m 20s
Andrew Bean and the Lady Apollo - The Wreckage of My Youth CD Digipak USD $9.00 Buy It Now 49m 46s
Adam Ant - Apollo 9 - Rare Classic 80's 2 Track 12" Single USD $12.28 [0 bids]
50m 17s
Cameo Apollo Theatre, Manchester 17/5/87 Ticket USD $10.70 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Solomon Burke - This Is It - Apollo Soul Origi NEW CD USD $14.95 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Donna Summer Apollo Theatre, Manchester 20/11/87 Ticket USD $19.19 Buy It Now 1h 15m
James Taylor Apollo Theatre, Manchester 7/7/88 Ticket USD $19.19 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Millie Jackson Apollo Theatre, Manchester 8/5/87 Ticket USD $10.70 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Pretenders The Apollo Theatre, Manchester 19/5/87 Ticket USD $19.19 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Robert Palmer Apollo Theatre, Manchester Ticket 24/5/91 USD $1.52 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Ted Nugent Apollo Theatre, Manchester 5/8/80 Ticket USD $10.70 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Todd Rundgren The Apollo, Glasgow 30/1/77 Ticket USD $19.19 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Triumph Apollo Theatre, Manchester 9/11/80 Ticket USD $10.70 Buy It Now 2h 9m
ERIC CLAPTON DEREK AND THE DOMINOS APOLLO GLASGOW GREENS PLAYHOUSE 1970 POSTER USD $9.20 [0 bids]
HALL + OATES A NITE AT THE APOLLO LIVE 12" P/S - 4 TRACKS UK USD $11.05 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Richard Hatch - From Apollo To Tom Zarek ~ The NEW CD USD $19.79 Buy It Now 2h 55m
MAHALIA JACKSON nm- lp on rare APOLLO, 1959 DEEP GROOVE, VINTAGE USD $24.95 Buy It Now 2h 58m
SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE APOLLO - Various Artists (LP-4613) USD $23.01 Buy It Now 3h
APOLLO 440 ASTRAL AMERICA 12" 4 MIXES WITH P/S UK USD $11.05 Buy It Now 3h 25m
JAMES BLUNT - MOON LANDING - DELUXE APOLLO EDITION -NEW CD / DVD ALBUM USD $23.01 Buy It Now 4h
James Brown Live at the Apollo Import Audio CD Japan Brand New Sealed USD $34.99 Buy It Now 4h
APOLLO 100 Jesu Joy 7" B/w Exercise In A-minor Pic Sleeve But Has Small Sticker USD $7.66 Buy It Now 4h 21m
APOLLO 100 Joy 7" B/w Can Can Pic Sleeve UK Youngblood 1980 USD $7.20 Buy It Now 4h 22m
APOLLO 2 One Small Step 7" B/w Launch Mix Pic Sleeve UK Debut Edge USD $7.66 Buy It Now 4h 22m
APOLLO 100 Besame Mucho 7" B/w Apollo Goes West A Side Written On Label UK Youn USD $5.59 Buy It Now 4h 22m
APOLLO 100 Besame Mucho 7" B/w Apollo Goes West UK Young Blood International USD $5.59 Buy It Now 4h 22m
APOLLO 100 Besame Mucho 7" Promo B/w Apollo Goes West UK Young Blood Internatio USD $5.59 Buy It Now 4h 22m
APOLLO 100 Besame Mucho 7" White Label Design Promo B/w Apollo Goes West Pic Sl USD $5.59 Buy It Now 4h 22m
CONNIE STEVENS Apollo 7" B/w Why Do I Cry For Joey UK Warner Bros 1960 USD $7.20 Buy It Now 4h 23m
HALL AND OATES Way You Do The Things You Do 7" 3 Track Live At The Apollo B/w My USD $5.59 Buy It Now 4h 29m
HALL AND OATES Way You Do The Things You Do 7" A Nite At The Apollo Live B/w Eve USD $5.59 Buy It Now 4h 29m
HALL AND OATES Way You Do The Things You Do/my Girl 7" A Nite At The Apollo Live USD $3.99 Buy It Now 4h 29m
JAMES APOLLO ~ 'TIL YOUR FEET BLEED ~ 2010 UK 11-TRACK PROMO CD ALBUM USD $6.91 Buy It Now 4h 51m
Morrissey cd Apollo theater New York city 8th May 2004 USD $20.73 [4 bids]
Apollo Four Forty Carrera Rapida Theme From Rapid Racer Playstation USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Gaye Bykers On Acid grebo 7" vinyl single All Hung Up - Apollo 440 nrEX USD $1.52 [0 bids]
JOE BONAMASSA - TOUR DE FORCE - HAMMERSMITH APOLLO: 180 GRAM 3LP VINYL SET USD $33.76 Buy It Now 5h 31m
BOOZOO BAJOU Jan Meyen Ep 12" NEW VINYL Apollo R&S USD $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 36m
WOLFGANG PRESS Going South MIX CD APOLLO 440 JAH WOBBLE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Daryl Hall and John Oates "Live At The Apollo" RCA PL87035 Vinyl LP 1985 USD $7.68 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Apollo - S/T LP - Gordy VG+ USD $6.00 [1 bids]
Bonzo Dog Band - Mr Apollo 1969 7" Liberty LBF 15201 USD $7.66 [1 bids]
Soul Vinyl 7" - Solomon Burke - My Heart Is A Chapel / This Is It - Apollo - AP USD $14.91 Buy It Now 6h
Mahalia Jackson - Just As I Am LP, Apollo 479, Gospel, VG+ USD $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 2m
EAGLE ON THE MOON - The Flight of Apollo 11 - A VOA US Information Agency Vinyl USD $30.63 [0 bids]
Apollo Four Forty - Krupa 12" VG+/G+ USD $3.07 Buy It Now 6h 17m
vg+ PATTI LaBELLE BlueBelles Sweethearts Of The Apollo NEWTOWN original USA LP USD $29.99 [0 bids]
vg JAMES BROWN Live At The Apollo US CUSTOM COVER KING 826 Orig. Cdn LP USD $29.99 [1 bids]
Rush live concert Glasgow Apollo Theatre 12th June 1977 A4 size poster print USD $23.01 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Apollo Four Forty 440 Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Dub rare 12" vinyl single near mint USD $3.06 [0 bids]
Aphex Twin-Selected Ambient Works 85-92-Apollo-2LP SET USD $29.99 Buy It Now 6h 44m
BANCO DE GAIA - OLLOPA: APOLLO REMIXED (DIGIPAK) NEW CD USD $20.76 Buy It Now 6h 47m
VOCALTONES APOLLO 1001 MEET THE SPARKS OF RHYTHM M- $100.00 MULTI COLOR WA USD $100.00 Buy It Now 6h 53m
Apollo Four Forty : Gettin High on Your Own CD (2000) USD $3.51 Buy It Now 6h 57m
Apollo FourForty - Charlie's Angels 2000 - Music CD USD $4.53 Buy It Now 7h 23m
N6-31 Vinyl Record Album 45 MGM First Man On The Moon July 1969 Apollo 11 RARE! USD $20.21 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Charlatans - Hammersmith Apollo, London Live [SIGNED 2xCD album] USD $24.18 [0 bids]
EMI ASD 4177 BRITTEN YOUNG APOLLO/4 FRENCH SONGS LP RATTLE NM- DIG GERMANY USD $9.20 Buy It Now 7h 46m
Brian Eno 5 CD Lot Apollo / Airports / Taking Tiger / Desert Island / Wrong Way USD $12.49 [2 bids]
Up With the Larks: The Uptempo Apollo Recordings 1951-1955 by The Larks (CD) USD $10.99 Buy It Now 8h 4m
B.B. King - Live at the Apollo CD - Columbia House USD $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 32m
They Might Be Giants 'Apollo 18' Poster USD $12.27 Buy It Now 8h 35m
BRIAN ENO Apollo (Atmospheres & Soundtracks) (Virgin Records ENOCDX 10) CD USD $7.66 Buy It Now 8h 40m
V/A " JACKPOT OF HITS " APOLLO RECORDS 1959 ORIGINAL EX/EX VERY RARE L.P. 490 USD $107.46 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Brahms (CD Album, 1992) Apollo Recordings (VG) USD $4.01 Buy It Now 8h 54m
Apollo Saturday Night 1975 Japan Analogue Audiophile NM Vinyl with Insert 150445 USD $38.88 Buy It Now 8h 55m
THE FOUR VAGABONDS Choo Choo / Lazy Country Side DOO-WOP JAZZ 78 rpm APOLLO 1075 USD $19.95 [0 bids]
APOLLO GRANFORTE O SANTA MEDAGLIA & CON VOI BER, AFFE MI FIA CARO HMV DB938 USD $7.66 Buy It Now 9h
Apollo 440 - Millennium Fever (2002) USD $3.06 [0 bids]
9h
FOUR 4 VAGABONDS That Old Gang Of Mine / Heart Of My Heart DOO-WOP Apollo 78 rpm USD $19.95 [0 bids]
Rush live concert Glasgow Apollo Theatre 12th June 1977 A4 size poster print USD $23.01 Buy It Now 9h 8m
Gettin' High On Your Own Supply - Apollo Four Forty (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.52 Buy It Now 9h 11m
Live At The Apollo 10/24/62 - James Brown (CD Used Very Good) Remastered USD $4.69 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Dice Game - Apollo & Guilty Simpson Brown (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.25 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Best Of Live At The Apollo-50th Anniversary - James Brown (CD Used Very Good) USD $7.69 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Trophies - Apollo & Oc Brown (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.80 Buy It Now 9h 14m
Apollo Four Forty - Raw Power (1 Track Promo CD) USD $3.06 Buy It Now 9h 14m
ADAM ANT - APOLLO 9 7" VINYL SINGLE - MINT CONDITION++++++++ USD $4.61 [0 bids]
NM Rare 1960's Gospel LP : Ward Singers ~ At The Apollo Theatre ~ Hanover 8011 USD $100.00 [0 bids]
Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks - Brian Eno (CD Used Very Good) USD $8.62 Buy It Now 9h 34m
Connie Stevens (dj) 45 APOLLO / WHY DO I CRY FOR JOEY ~WB nice VG+ pop rock teen USD $13.14 Buy It Now 10h
Apollo Four Forty Heart 2 LIVE & VIDEO SLEEVE CD Single USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h
Apollo Four Forty Lost In Space CD1 (Themes) + Will & Penny's + 1 UK CD Single USD $3.79 Buy It Now 10h 9m
Apollo Four Forty Ain't Talkin' 'bout Dub (@440 Radio Edit) UK CD Single USD $3.79 Buy It Now 10h 9m
Apollo Four Forty Raw Power - 5 versions in card slip sleeve UK CD Single USD $3.79 Buy It Now 10h 9m
Trophies [12 inch Analog] Apollo Brown & Oc LP Record USD $33.16 Buy It Now 10h 12m
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of... USD $1.29 [0 bids]
James Brown Live At The Apollo original lp RARE CANADA PRESS green Regency label USD $39.99 Buy It Now 10h 21m
78 -13BB - JAZZ - APOLLO 359 - GEORGE AULD AND ORCHESTRA USD $12.00 Buy It Now 10h 29m
THE WHO 1981 ~ ORIGINAL 1981 UK TOUR PROGRAMME + MANCHESTER APOLLO TICKET 1/3/81 USD $15.34 Buy It Now 10h 39m
THE CELLOS Rang Tang Din Dong on Apollo R&B Doo Wop 45 Hear USD $8.00 [0 bids]
4 VAGABONDS Yesteryear's Memories LP 14 Track Still Sealed US Apollo USD $6.28 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Apollo Hall Concert 1954 Lionel Hampton~1955 Swing Jazz~Epic LN 3190~FAST SHIP! USD $10.75 Buy It Now 10h 49m
SIR CHARLES THOMPSON Fabulous Apollo Sessions LP 14 Track Featuring Charlie Park USD $7.66 Buy It Now 10h 51m
FIVE ROYALES APOLLO 488 SAME VG USD $300.00 Buy It Now 10h 55m
Daryl Hall & John Oates Live At The Apollo With David Ruffin Record Mirror Adver USD $7.68 Buy It Now 10h 57m
FIVE ROYALES APOLLO 488 SAME VG+ USD $500.00 Buy It Now 11h 2m
NEW Up With the Larks: The Uptempo Apollo Recordings 1951-1955 Doo Wap Oldies USD $17.90 Buy It Now 11h 4m
Apollo 440: Lolita Destiny - Reverb Records 1991 - 12" Vinyl USD $2.29 [0 bids]

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for APOLLO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"