APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

APOLLO BROWN - GRANDEUR [DIGIPAK] * NEW CD USD $12.27 Buy It Now 2h 43m
Apollo Duo-Genesis CD NEW USD $18.52 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Apollo & Dionysus - Avarice In Audio CD-JEWEL CASE USD $27.97 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Apollo & Dionysus - Avarice In Audio CD-JEWEL CASE USD $20.28 Buy It Now 3h 10m
BRIAN ENO APOLLO REMASTERED CD NEW USD $14.47 Buy It Now 3h 35m
AVARICE IN AUDIO - APOLLO & DIONYSUS (LIMITED) 2 CD NEW+ USD $30.41 Buy It Now 3h 37m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY / Electro Glide in Blue (Stealth ssx2440cd) CD Album USD $15.24 Buy It Now 3h 42m
JAMES BROWN/LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1962 EXTENDED EDITION(POLYDOR 0602498613702) CD USD $15.24 Buy It Now 3h 43m
Apollo 440/Millennium Fever (STEALTH SONIC RECORDINGS ssx 440 CD) CD Album USD $15.24 Buy It Now 3h 43m
RUN DMC - JAM MASTER JAY-LIVE AT THE APOLLO,NEW YORK 86 CD NEW+ USD $25.25 Buy It Now 4h 11m
V.A.-APOLLO SATURDAY NIGHT-JAPAN CD B50 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 21m
RARE 1970s Vinyl LP album Rank Concert Orchestra MOON SHOT Space travel Apollo USD $13.41 [0 bids]
Telemann:don Quixote and Other Suites - Fire Apollo's Compact Disc USD $19.72 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Apollo-Remaster 2005 - Brian Eno Compact Disc USD $9.79 Buy It Now 4h 25m
ASD 4177 - BRITTEN - Young Apollo RATTLE CoBSO - Ecxellent Condition LP Record USD $12.07 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Coheed And Cambria ?- Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV: Vol.1 (CD, 2005, Sony) USD $6.29 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Live at the Apollo with David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrick Daryl Hall and John Oa USD $14.70 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Slip Double: Blue : The Roulette Tour 2013 Hammersmith Apollo : 2 CDs USD $46.73 [0 bids]
James Blunt Moon Landing Album Special Apollo Edition CD Live Paleo Festival DVD USD $8.04 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Nasa Spirit Of Apollo vinyl LP w/download NEW sealed USD $43.69 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Shaking Judy-Songs for Apollo CD NEW USD $13.35 Buy It Now 6h 2m
John Floridis-The Dance of Apollo CD NEW USD $16.44 Buy It Now 6h 2m
The Band Apollo-Soldier or a Spy CD NEW USD $16.42 Buy It Now 6h 3m
APOLLO 440 Dude Descending A Staircase EICP-224-5 CD JAPAN 2003 NEW USD $77.06 Buy It Now 6h 17m
THE APOLLO FESTIVAL '98 - VARIOUS ARTISTS DOUBLE CD USD $8.43 Buy It Now 6h 28m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R30 USD $6.70 Buy It Now 6h 34m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R32 USD $6.70 Buy It Now 6h 35m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV CD USD $1.92 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Apollo 11 Moon Landing (1969 BBC Television Coverage), Various Artists, Good Sou USD $93.57 Buy It Now 6h 39m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R31 USD $6.70 Buy It Now 6h 43m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R29 USD $6.70 Buy It Now 6h 44m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R33 USD $6.70 Buy It Now 6h 44m
PAUL RODGERS ?- LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 2009 White 2x VINYL LP (NEW/SEALED) USD $21.46 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Golden Instrumental Hits by Apollo 100 (CD, Oct-1991, Laserlight) USD $5.39 Buy It Now 8h 10m
Coheed and Cambria ?- Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV (2005) CD NEW (6252) USD $5.30 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Stravinsky: Le sacre du printemps/ Petrushka / L'Oiseau de feu / Apollo USD $25.10 Buy It Now 8h 28m
Ill Genesi-IG ... Apollo Has Landed CD NEW USD $14.63 Buy It Now 8h 33m
Gettin' High on Your Own Supply by Apollo 440 (Album CD, Jan-2000, Sony Music... USD $7.38 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Apollo Four Forty - Gettin High on Your Own Supply CD **NR MINT CD** FREE POST USD $4.01 Buy It Now 9h 3m
james brown cd live at the apollo 823 002-2 W. GERMAN IMPORT USD $8.49 Buy It Now 9h 3m
Coheed & Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV (Vol.1: From Fear Through... USD $5.36 Buy It Now 9h 5m
POST CARD~MOTOWN~ APOLLO ~ NEAR MINT~ 4 1/4 X 6~ GREAT SHAPE~ ~COLLECTABLES USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Thus Spak Apollo Myne (Rendall, Mackillop) - CD 8DVG The Fast Free Shipping USD $11.96 Buy It Now 9h 21m
FIRST MAN ON THE MOON: APOLLO 11 FLIGHT NASA Space Shuttle 7" 45 RECORD history USD $15.00 Buy It Now 9h 30m
Adam Ant - Apollo 9 - 7" Single USD $5.03 Buy It Now 9h 46m
RUN DMC - JAM MASTER JAY LIVE AT THE APOLLO, NY '86 (NEW, SEALED) USD $6.70 Buy It Now 9h 49m
Stravinsky : The Great Ballets - Firebird, Petroushka, Rite of Spring, Apollo USD $4.70 Buy It Now 10h 22m
Apollo E Dafne & Silete Venti REDUCED FOR AUTUMN USD $8.66 [0 bids]
USD $19.41 Buy It Now
APOLLO. Astro Disco (Vocal) bw Astro disco (Instrumental) 1979 Motown. Plays EX+ USD $6.70 Buy It Now 10h 26m
Apollo Four Forty Krupa 2x12" Stealth Sonic Recordings 1996 USD $10.73 Buy It Now 10h 27m
APOLLO 13 (Completed Score) / James Horner / TOP RARE OST CD MINT USD $39.99 [0 bids]
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - Electro Glide In Blue / Cassette Album Tape / 3992 USD $5.36 Buy It Now 10h 30m
Apollo14-Apollo14 CD NEW USD $8.44 Buy It Now 10h 49m
Mudslide-Apollo CD NEW USD $16.44 Buy It Now 10h 50m
USED (VG) Live at the Apollo [Vinyl] (2008) USD $35.99 Buy It Now 11h 3m
JAMES BROWN-LIVE AT THE APOLLO-CD 2004+4 BONUS TRACKS-NEW & SEALED USD $6.70 Buy It Now 11h 5m
W.A. Mozart - Apollo Et Hyacinthus [CD New] USD $9.63 Buy It Now 11h 10m
Coheed And Cambria Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume One 2LP vinyl USD $35.00 Buy It Now 11h 10m
PALMER, ROBERT-LIVE AT THE APOLLO CD NEW USD $13.53 Buy It Now 11h 27m
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Live At The Apollo - Everytime You Go Away - 45rpm w/P USD $4.99 Buy It Now 11h 30m
KRUPA by APOLLO FOUR FORTY music used USD $2.47 Buy It Now 11h 35m
Lionel Hampton Apollo Hall Concert 1954 Exc - Near Mint Epic Release USD $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 39m
Matchbox twenty-Hammersmith Apollo 2001-magazine advert USD $6.70 Buy It Now 11h 53m
DG 2707 129 - MOZART - Apollo Hyacinthus HAGER / MATHIS - Ex Double LP Record USD $13.41 Buy It Now 11h 58m
THE SOUND EXPLOSION Apollo 4 TRACK CD NEW - NOT SEALED USD $2.67 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1 (From Fear Through. USD $5.37 [0 bids]
Rabinovich; Apollo Ensemble-Symphonies Nos. 6, 7 & 8 CD NEW USD $22.48 Buy It Now 12h 38m
CHARLIE PARKER Bird at the Apollo CD ALBUM NEW - NOT SEALED USD $6.70 Buy It Now 12h 38m
Apollo Ensemble-Suites CD NEW USD $22.48 Buy It Now 12h 38m
Apollo`S Fire/J Sorrell-Bach: St. John Passion CD NEW USD $24.61 Buy It Now 12h 39m
LA FETS & KITTY / CHRISTMAS LETTER / APOLLO / DOO WOP 70'S ISSUE 45 NM USD $27.99 Buy It Now 12h 39m
Apollo 440 - Future's What It Used to Be - New CD Sealed 2012 USD $7.00 Buy It Now 12h 39m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY Gettin High on Your Own CD ALBUM USD $4.01 Buy It Now 12h 43m
APOLLO SUNSHINE Katonah CD ALBUM NEW - STILL SEALED USD $12.07 Buy It Now 13h 6m
"Flight to the Moon" Official NASA Voice Tape of the Flight of Apollo 11 LP USD $4.95 Buy It Now 13h 16m
RY COODER STUNNING RARE CONCERTS POSTER APOLLO & HAMMERSMITH LONDON OCTOBER 1978 USD $100.68 Buy It Now 13h 21m
EDDIE DAVIS vg++ jazz bop 78 on APOLLO, PRE-WAR USD $9.95 Buy It Now 13h 32m
APOLLO - ST GORDY LP PROMO USD $15.00 [0 bids]
B.B. KING - Live at the Apollo (2008) CD - VG used condition great copy USD $5.71 Buy It Now 13h 33m
James Brown Live at the Apollo, Vol. 2 [Deluxe Edition] USD $67.95 Buy It Now 13h 35m
MILTON SPARKS w THE DELROYS 45 Time / Bermuda Shorts APOLLO label DOO WOP bb2204 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 13h 42m
BONZO DOG BAND:Mr. Apollo 4:21-Ready-Mades 3:04-Germany 7" 69 Liberty 15201A PSL USD $98.98 Buy It Now 13h 49m
THE CELLOS 45 Rang Tang Ding Dong / You Took My Love APOLLO label DOO WOP bb2205 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 13h 51m
1969 Apollo 11 Flight FIRST MAN ON THE MOON - Vinyl LP 7" - Hugh Downs - 45RPM USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Marillion Live at Manchester Apollo 1980's USD $13.42 Buy It Now 14h 7m
NASA 1969 Apollo 11 Met Life 7" record "Lunar Landing Man On The Moon" with Map USD $20.00 Buy It Now 14h 24m
VINCE APOLLO "I BEAR WITNESS" STORMING NORTHERN SOUL CLASSIC LISTEN! USD $13.41 Buy It Now 14h 27m
DOO WOP GROUP 78 RPM - THE "5" ROYALES - APOLLO 452 - "I DO" + "GOOD THINGS" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 14h 33m
PUFF DADDY GODZILLA COME WITH ME CD SINGLE 1998 6662845 5 APOLLO 440 REMIXES USD $1.33 [0 bids]
Apollo Sunshine Shall Noise Upon Vinyl LP USD $20.00 Buy It Now 15h
APOLLO 100 MASTER PIECES - NUDE PHOTO USD $7.99 [0 bids]
THE CHERUBS A Man of Importance w/ Kiss all Moring APOLLO VERSION 7 INCH VINYL USD $23.74 Buy It Now 15h 2m
BRIAN ENO - APOLLO: ATMOSPHERES & SOUNDTRACKS NEW CD USD $7.58 Buy It Now 15h 12m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY Aint talkin bout dun w/ RARE 440 EDIT PROMO DJ CD Single 1997 USD $23.74 Buy It Now 15h 12m
Apollo Sunshine - Shall Noise Upon (Digipak) (CD, 2008, Headless Heroes) Album USD $8.40 Buy It Now 15h 15m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV 2 VINYL LP NEW+ USD $32.78 Buy It Now 15h 22m
UFO Concert Ticket Stub 1983 Apollo Theatre Oxford USD $6.70 Buy It Now 15h 33m
MSG MICHAEL SCHENKER GROUP Concert Ticket Stub 1982 Apollo Theatre Oxford USD $6.70 Buy It Now 15h 33m
James Brown R&B SOUL EP (King 826) Live At The Apollo-I'll Go Crazy+ CLASSIC VG+ USD $16.95 Buy It Now 15h 34m
DEF LEPPARD Concert Ticket Stub 1983 Apollo Theatre Oxford USD $6.70 Buy It Now 15h 34m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"