APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Lionel Hampton Apollo Hall Concert 1954, Epic Records LN 3190, 1955, Jazz Swing USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
ARCTIC MONKEYS At The Apollo FLYER UK Promo 1Sided Flyer For Cinemas=60CmsX45Cm USD $19.35 Buy It Now 1h 42m
EX-/EX- !! Saturday Night At The Apollo/1967 Atlantic LP/Otis Redding/Coasters USD $29.35 Buy It Now 1h 44m
Apollo 104 Illinois Jacquet Jam Session 10" LP 1951 deep groove original USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Hall and Oates - Live at the Apollo (1985) Vinyl LP .PLAY-GRADED. USD $7.49 Buy It Now 1h 53m
CHARLIE LITTLE JAZZ FERGUSON 78 - Bean Head / Big "G" - Apollo 815, DJ, 1957 VG+ USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 56m
Man on the Moon The Eagle Has Landed LP EX 1969 APOLLO 11 Yorkshire Records USD $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Cellos 45 DooWop Rocker Rang Tang Ding Dong You Took My Love Nice VG+ Apollo USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2h
Robert Palmer - Live at the Apollo (Live Recording, 2001) USD $5.32 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Apollo Brown - Grandeur [New CD] USD $12.76 Buy It Now 2h 16m
PRINCE - One Nite Alone @ The Apollo, London, 3CD, Sabotage Records USD $53.35 [0 bids]
(-0-) Blondie Apollo Manchester 1988 Live Review cd A4 poster ADVERT (-0-) 001 USD $3.94 Buy It Now 2h 26m
MISSION Manchester Apollo concert review 1988 UK ARTICLE / clipping USD $6.60 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Coheed And Cambria Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume One 2LP vinyl USD $32.40 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Apollo 11 Man On the Moon First Anniversary 45 PS M- Luna A-11 1969 store stock USD $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
BRIAN ENO APOLLO ATMOSPHERES & SOUNDTRACKS LP UK 1983 EGLP 531 N MINT VINYL USD $199.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
Dio - Live in London Hammersmith Apollo 1993 [New CD] USD $15.83 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Apollo Brown - Grandeur [New CD] USD $18.25 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Factory Sealed James Brown - Live at the Apollo 1962 CD USD $15.00 Buy It Now 3h
W.A. Mozart - Apollo Et Hyacinthus (CD Used Like New) USD $10.28 Buy It Now 3h 6m
Dio - Live In London Hammersmith Apollo 1993 [CD New] USD $17.08 Buy It Now 3h 8m
HALL & OATES "Live At The Apollo" SEALED 1985 LP ORIG Rock Vinyl Record USD $9.00 Buy It Now 3h 28m
Adam Ant - Hits CD.Prince Charming,Antmusic,Dog Eat Dog,Goody Two Shoes,Apollo 9 USD $5.32 Buy It Now 3h 40m
BOBBY SMITH - DESERT NIGHT / BEE'S BOOGIE - APOLLO-799 (40) USD $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 44m
APOLLO CLUB OF MINNEAPOLIS Hail To Thee SEALED 1958 Minnesota Centennial 45 a79 USD $14.50 Buy It Now 3h 48m
LAST OF THE GARAGE PUNK UNKNOWNS Vol 3 vinyl LP NEW garage punk Apollo's Apaches USD $18.66 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 1 NEW CD USD $6.89 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Stars Of The Apollo Theatre Columbia KG 30788 2 × Vinyl LP Gatefold USD $22.99 Buy It Now 4h 8m
N.A.S.A. - Spirit of Apollo [New Vinyl] Digital Download USD $22.33 Buy It Now 4h 13m
BEADY EYE USED GIG TICKET O2 APOLLO MANCHESTER 06/03/11 FREEPOST LIAM GALLAGHER USD $4.66 Buy It Now 4h 29m
Apollo 100 - Joy ORIG. US LP USD $13.00 Buy It Now 4h 32m
N.A.S.A. The Spirit of Apollo 2009 U.S. promo cd card cover USD $3.97 Buy It Now 4h 40m
George C. Wolfe's Harlem Song Original Apollo Theater Cast Recording NEW Sealed USD $7.76 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Byron Cage - Live At The Apollo - The Proclamation (CD 2007) US Import USD $5.32 Buy It Now 4h 53m
The Apollo Theater Presents, in Person LP mono (vinyl) by James Brown soul, funk USD $29.00 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Apollo Saturday Night / Saturday Night At The Uptown USD $19.00 Buy It Now 5h 30m
SOROR DOLOROSA - APOLLO (DIGIPAK) CD NEW+ USD $26.86 Buy It Now 5h 39m
SOROR DOLOROSA - APOLLO (LIMITED .3CD HARDCOVER-ARTBOOK) 3 CD+DVD NEW+ USD $70.38 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Brian Eno - Apollo: Atmosphere & Soundtracks [New CD] Rmst, Digipack Packaging USD $12.48 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Brian Eno - Apollo: Atmosphere & Soundtracks [New CD] Rmst, Digipack Packaging USD $11.77 Buy It Now 6h 15m
GEORGIE AULD jazz 78 APOLLO 359 Taps Miller, Concerto For Tenor USD $13.45 Buy It Now 6h 18m
JAMES BROWN - LIVE AT THE APOLLO: NYC,OCTOBER 24TH,1962 VINYL LP NEW+ USD $31.13 Buy It Now 6h 21m
N.A.S.A. - Spirit of Apollo [New Vinyl] Digital Download USD $27.25 Buy It Now 6h 33m
JAMES BROWN - LIVE AT THE APOLLO - POLYDOR CD - BONUS TRACKS - STILL SEALED USD $12.95 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Coheed & Cambria Good Apollo I'm Buring Star IV Vol 1 2x Vinyl LP Record 2017!!! USD $46.99 Buy It Now 6h 45m
1967 4 Ballets Stravinsky 3 Record Stero Box Set - Apollo - Excellent (AQ128) USD $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Live at the Apollo - 14 ROCK ORIGINALS - Various - CD - LIKE NEW USD $6.95 Buy It Now 6h 49m
Gospel 78 Alex Bradford Apollo 284 "HE'S A WONDER" / "HE'S SO GOOD TO ME" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Gospel 78 ROBERTA MARTIN SINGERS APOLLO 292 "HAVE YOU FOUND A FRIEND" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Gospel 78 ROBERTA MARTIN SINGERS APOLLO 270 "OH LORD STAND BY ME" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Gospel 78 ROBERTA MARTIN SINGERS APOLLO 261 "COME INTO MY ROOM" / "HE'S MY LIGHT USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Gospel 78 ROBERTA MARTIN SINGERS APOLLO 272 "AFTER IT'S ALL OVER" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Gospel 78 ROBERTA MARTIN SINGERS APOLLO 279 "I'M TOO CLOSE" "MARCHING TO ZION" USD $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 55m
Cello Concerto / Hymn To Apollo - CD - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** USD $41.76 Buy It Now 7h 5m
Various Artists, Jam - Apollo 13 (Original Soundtrack) [New CD] USD $10.82 Buy It Now 7h 18m
LP 12 Single - APOLLO SMILE Let's Rock - 2 mixes SP-17828 The Groove Commander USD $8.49 Buy It Now 7h 46m
SYNKRO Memories (2008-2011) 12" NEW VINYL Apollo Akkord Indigo R USD $17.99 Buy It Now 7h 58m
APOLLO 13 - MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE - CD - vgc - James Horner / The Who USD $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 42m
LESTER AND DENWOOD GIPSY WOMAN APOLLO FRANCE 7 45 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Apollo Four Forty* ?- Electro Glide In Blue (Box C285) USD $11.32 Buy It Now 9h 2m
Apollo House EP by Apollo House [Rare CD EP_Apollo House 2013] USD $3.25 Buy It Now 9h 3m
BRIAN ENO - APOLLO / ATMOSPHERES AND SOUNDTRACKS - EG CD - 1989 USD $12.95 Buy It Now 9h 23m
Vinyl LP 1979 'THE FLIGHT OF APOLLO ELEVEN' JC 001 Drew and Petrone Parker Corp. USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Bobby Dimple American Moon Import Pop 7" 45rpm Record Single Apollo 11 NASA USD $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Live at the Apollo Theater by James Brown 1966 Vinyl King Records USD $26.99 Buy It Now 9h 59m
APOLLO BAY MUSIC FESTIVAL CD - 10th Anniversary - Bomba Matt Walker Dave Graney USD $3.36 Buy It Now 10h 2m
Get Down With James Brown Live At The Apollo Vol.4 JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD USD $28.90 Buy It Now 10h 30m
RARE Gold White Vinyl - Apollo Brown & Skyzoo - Easy Truth LP Open/Never Played USD $29.95 Buy It Now 11h
OST-APOLLO 13-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B63 USD $63.87 Buy It Now 11h 39m
RASMUS FABER Pres APOLLO VS MELO ~ Divided / United ~ 12" Single PS USD $5.40 Buy It Now 11h 54m
THE APOLLO KIDS counting off 12" RECORD MEAT KATIE ELITE FORCE REMIX USD $17.99 Buy It Now 12h 22m
James Brown Live At The Apollo Orig & Unique Israel Single LP Hebrew Title Rare USD $45.00 Buy It Now 12h 36m
MFD IN FRANCE HARMONIA MUNDI U.S.A. CLASSICAL CD 1985 HAENDEL : APOLLO USD $10.08 Buy It Now 13h 6m
Apollo 13. Film Soundtrack. 2-Compact Disc Set. 1995. Made In Australia. USD $13.59 Buy It Now 13h 13m
Roberto Torna y su Apollo Sound 6 USD $9.90 [0 bids]
KILLING JOKE LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 Volume 2 RSD Purple 2LP USD $25.34 Buy It Now 14h 5m
STRAVINSKY Orpheus Apollo STRAVINSKY 1964 Columbia MS-6646 $4 Shipping Worldwide USD $17.00 Buy It Now 14h 29m
APOLLO 440 Astral America (NBA Theme Music In JAPAN CD SRDS-8284 1994 NEW USD $35.12 Buy It Now 14h 51m
JAZZ 78 rpm RECORD Apollo Records COLEMAN HAWKINS & HIS ORCHESTRA Woodyin´you... USD $49.99 Buy It Now 15h
Live At The Apollo with David Ruffin & Eddie Kendrick Daryl Hall & USD $14.61 Buy It Now 15h 21m
BILLY JACK In The Summertime NAT COLE Apollo Moon Rock UK 7" Explosion EX 2022 USD $13.19 Buy It Now 15h 22m
"Sweethearts of The Apollo" Patti Labelle & The Bluebells; 2003 CD USD $6.00 Buy It Now 15h 34m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV, VOL. 1: FROM FEAR THROUGH TH USD $29.98 Buy It Now 15h 52m
NEBULA RARE CD 2006 APOLLO OUT OF PRINT USD $30.00 Buy It Now 16h 2m
Apollo Classics - Beethoven (1995) CD Album - Hamburg Symphony Orchestra USD $3.67 Buy It Now 16h 12m
JAMES APOLLO " BORN LUCKY " 8 TRACKS 2010 PROMO EXCELLENT USD $3.32 Buy It Now 16h 25m
Apollo 100 - Joy - 7-inch US Promo Single USD $2.65 [0 bids]
Apollo 440 ?- Astral America Label: Stealth Sonic Recordings VINYL PICTURE DISC USD $20.00 Buy It Now 16h 50m
The Best Of The Casanovas EXCLELLENT LP (Apollo AP 1004) USD $13.33 Buy It Now 16h 51m
Richard Hatch - From Apollo To Tom Zarek - Battlestar Galactica (NEW 2 x CD) USD $18.66 Buy It Now 16h 56m
James Blunt - Moon Landing ( Special Apollo Edition) (NEW CD+DVD) USD $17.33 Buy It Now 16h 59m
Apollo Saxophone Quartet - Perspectives [CD New] USD $17.43 Buy It Now 17h 8m
APOLLO 440_Astral America_used CD single CD-S_ships from AUSTRALIA! USD $9.06 Buy It Now 17h 17m
Dio-Live in London: Hammersmith Apollo 1993 (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $15.05 Buy It Now 17h 19m
Perspectives - Apollo Saxophone Quartet (2014, CD New) USD $20.97 Buy It Now 17h 20m
Apollo 440 - Future's What It Used to Be [New CD] USD $14.43 Buy It Now 18h 16m
Apollo 440 - Future's What It Used to Be [New CD] USD $19.97 Buy It Now 18h 26m
Mozart Apollo et Hyacinthus Hager PHILIPS GERMANY SEALED USD $99.00 Buy It Now 18h 28m
U2 single MYSTERIOUS WAYS 5 track CD brian eno APOLLO 440 howard gray LILLYWHITE USD $11.99 Buy It Now 18h 45m
Apollo Chamber Players - European Folkscapes [New CD] Enhanced USD $21.83 Buy It Now 18h 58m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"