APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Dance 2007 (2 x CD) Roger Sanchez/Apollo/Jan Wayne/Shapeshifters/Ultra Flirt USD $3.36 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Bob Dylan live concert Manchester Apollo 3rd of April 1995 A4 size poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 1h 33m
DJ Meeting 2002 (2 x CD) Scooter/Ian Van Dahl/Spiller/Apollo/Todd Terry/Carillon USD $3.17 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Apollo Four Forty / 440 - Carrera Rapida 2 CD singles USD $2.52 [0 bids]
Hall & Oates Live at the Apollo w/David Ruffin & Eddie Kendrick Vinyl LP - UNPL USD $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
NICK APOLLO - Luv Ya Country / Beans 'N' Sardines - 45rpm USD $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 54m
APOLLO 100 - REACH FOR THE SKY LP - IN EXCELLENT CONDITION - AUSTRALIAN PRESSING USD $3.78 Buy It Now 2h
Stravinsky: Histoire du Soldat, Petrouchka, Apollo / Piano Solo; 1994 CD, PROMO USD $6.06 Buy It Now 2h
LIONEL HAMPTON: Apollo Hall Concert LP MERCURY RECORDS 6499356 Mono NM USD $11.69 Buy It Now 2h 11m
APOLLO 440-FUTURE`S WHAT IT USED TO BE CD NEW USD $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Mike Pedicin "Musical Medicine" LP Apollo records USD $10.00 [0 bids]
(437U) James Apollo, No East, No West - DJ CD USD $3.23 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Band Apollo - Soldier Or A Spy [CD New] USD $15.23 Buy It Now 2h 26m
DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES Live at the Apollo with Ruffin/Kendrick LP RCA 1985 VG+ USD $6.77 Buy It Now 2h 26m
BAND APOLLO - SOLDIER OR A SPY NEW CD USD $24.16 Buy It Now 2h 27m
(CN456) Apollo 440, Dude Descending A Staircase - 2003 DJ CD USD $3.23 Buy It Now 2h 40m
Mott The Hoople-Live At HMV Hammersmith Apollo 2009 3CD-R Set LTD OOP USD $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
SEALED MAN'S INCREDIBLE VENTURE TO THE MOON LP APOLLO 11 AUDIO METROMEDIA USD $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
APOLLO 440 - Krupa 12" 1996 USD $6.32 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Hall & Oats "Live at the Apollo" w/ David Fuffin & Eddie Cutout RCA 1985 USD $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 53m
DOOWOP 45 - THE CASANOVAS - FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE / PLEASE BE MINE - APOLLO 3624 USD $11.99 Buy It Now 3h 10m
Jim Thorne - To Follow Apollo [New CD] USD $13.78 Buy It Now 3h 12m
Daryl Hall-Live at the Apollo With David Rufkin and Eddie Kendrick CD NEW USD $17.05 Buy It Now 3h 19m
APOLLO SUNSHINE-APOLLO SUNSHINE (BONUS TRACKS) (LTD) (REIS) CD NEW USD $15.76 Buy It Now 3h 19m
APOLLO SUNSHINE-KATONAH (LTD) (REIS) (ENH) CD NEW USD $11.13 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Coheed and Cambria-Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV CD NEW USD $9.22 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Ben Harper-Live at the Apollo CD NEW USD $8.09 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Jim Thorne - To Follow Apollo [New CD] USD $13.64 Buy It Now 3h 33m
To Follow Apollo - Jim Thorne (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.64 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Cellos "Under Your Spell" Apollo 515 45 rpm Original USD $24.99 [0 bids]
VESALA / APOLLO - RODINA (IMPORT) NEW CD USD $14.34 Buy It Now 4h 7m
Iron Maiden live concert Manchester Apollo 12th October 1990 A4 poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 4h 21m
ADAM & THE ANTS - APOLLO 9 - 7" SINGLE - NEW WAVE / PUNK / 80'S USD $0.63 [0 bids]
MAKE SPARKS, YOUR HEARTS ON FIRE/APOLLO! APOLLO!, M/G, 2 Track, Promotional CD USD $3.79 Buy It Now 4h 24m
Iron Maiden live concert Manchester Apollo 12th October 1990 A4 poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 4h 28m
BLACK SUN ENSEMBLE - BOLT OF APOLLO NEW CD USD $30.20 Buy It Now 4h 54m
Brown,Apollo & Guilty Simpson Dice Game vinyl LP NEW sealed USD $36.24 Buy It Now 4h 56m
Stars of the Apollo, Stars of the Apollo, Good USD $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 13m
SALSA FANIA ROBERTO ROENA Y SUS APOLLO SOUND 5 1973 CD USA F6466 USD $26.00 [8 bids]
Apollo 440 - Dude Descending A Staircase - CD (2CD) (Sony SAMPCD 13021 2) USD $11.32 Buy It Now 5h 56m
They Might Be Giants ?- Apollo 18 CD USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Stars of the Apollo Theatre 2 LP Billie holiday Ella Fitzgerald ++ Vinyl Record USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Regreso by Roberto Roena y Apollo Sound (2003) CD USD $69.96 Buy It Now 6h 11m
45 rpm APOLLO 100 excersise in a minor MEGA 615-0050 nice SEE USD $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Megadeth live concert at Manchester Apollo 28th March 1991 A4 size poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 6h 26m
Tour De Force: Live In London - Hammersmith Apollo - Joe Bon (CD Used Very Good) USD $15.12 Buy It Now 6h 38m
THE CLAREMONTS on APOLLO 517 / Why Keep Me Dreaming / RARE 78 VG USD $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 42m
TORI AMOS - Hammersmith Apollo London U.K. 6/4/2005 - CD USD $74.49 Buy It Now 6h 56m
PATTI LaBELLE & THE BLUEBELLES - AT THE APOLLO - UPFRONT LP - STEREO PRESSING USD $12.95 Buy It Now 7h
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - FLOOD+APOLLO 18 (EXPANDED EDITIONS) 2 CD NEW+ USD $16.24 Buy It Now 7h 15m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Th USD $18.75 Buy It Now 7h 19m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA - Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Th USD $64.95 Buy It Now 7h 19m
THE OLYMPIANS Sirens Of Jupiter/Apollo's Mood 7" NEW VINYL Daptone El Michels Af USD $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 32m
VARIOUS Stars Of The Apollo Theater 2xLP Magpie Rec CG-30788 US 1973 VG+ 9F USD $12.78 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Marillion live concert Manchester Apollo 14th February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 9h 22m
APOLLO CHAMBER ORCHESTRA (USA)/JOANN FALLETTA (CONDUCTOR) - JOHN LUTHER ADAMS: C USD $19.18 Buy It Now 9h 22m
Yesterday's Apollo (Sealed) USD $4.40 Buy It Now 9h 53m
STRAVINSKY - The Rite Of Spring / Apollo - Herbert Von KARAJAN - DG USD $11.40 [0 bids]
Marillion live concert Manchester Apollo 14th February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Taiwan Teresa Teng & The Apollo Band Rare Singapore Cassette CS1203 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 20m
Taiwan Zhang Hui Cheung Wai & Singapore Apollo Band Chinese 7" CEP2838 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 21m
Marillion live concert at Glasgow Apollo 17th February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 10h 23m
Rare Taiwan Teresa Teng & Yang Xiao Ping Apollo Band Chinese 7" CEP2833 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Rare 60's Taiwan You Ya & The Apollo Band Chinese Pop Songs 7" CEP2810 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Singapore Lisa Wong & Apollo Band Cantonese 12" CLP4962 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 27m
AIRMAIL CARD - 12/09/2006 APOLLO BAY MUSIC FESTIVAL USD $7.55 Buy It Now 10h 27m
70's Singapore Lisa Wong & The Apollo Band Cantonese 12" CLP4945 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 28m
Marillion live concert at Glasgow Apollo 17th February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 10h 30m
JOE BONAMASSA - TOUR DE FORCE-HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 2 CD NEW+ USD $24.04 Buy It Now 10h 48m
FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD -Maximum Joy- ZTT 2CD Rob Searle Apollo 440 DJ Rene USD $4.95 Buy It Now 11h
Electro Glide In Blue, Apollo Four Forty, Good USD $3.17 Buy It Now 11h 32m
Sculptured CD Apollo Ends rare OOP USD $34.99 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Stravinsky: Petrouchka · Apollo · Circus Polka, Tamás Vásáry, London Symphony Or USD $2.22 Buy It Now 12h 23m
Apollo Four Forty Stop The Rock JAPAN CD SEALED G-15076 USD $0.99 Buy It Now 12h 58m
Gary Moore live concert at Oxford Apollo 15th of June 1990 A4 size poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 12h 59m
Marillion live concert Oxford Apollo 23rd of February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 13h 3m
Marillion live concert Oxford Apollo 23rd of February 1984 A4 size poster print USD $18.98 Buy It Now 13h 15m
AUSTRALIAN PINK FLOYD - LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 2011 [VIDEO] USED - VERY USD $15.72 Buy It Now 13h 16m
SUPERSUCKERS "LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH APOLLO..." 2 CD NEW+ USD $26.93 Buy It Now 13h 26m
Apollo - Waterdevils (NEW CD) USD $16.13 Buy It Now 13h 42m
DIO - LIVE IN LONDON-HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993 2 CD NEW+ USD $21.14 Buy It Now 13h 58m
EDDIE BO I Cry Oh on Apollo | Brilliant New Breed R&B dancer HEAR USD $10.00 [0 bids]
Mahalia Jackson Command Performance Apollo Records 1961 VG/EX Gatefold USD $31.66 Buy It Now 14h 28m
BRIAN ENO WITH D Apollo (Atmospheres & Soundtracks) VJCP-68745 CD JAPAN 2005 NEW USD $339.65 Buy It Now 14h 45m
ST.JOHN PASSION - SORRELL/APOLLO.S FIRE/STRAUSS/+ BACH (KOMPONIST) 2 CD NEW+ USD $23.94 Buy It Now 14h 47m
INXS Strangest Party CD 4 Track B/w Apollo 440 Mix, Wishing Well Courier Exten USD $5.31 Buy It Now 14h 51m
APOLLO 100 7" PS Japan JOY USD $10.00 Buy It Now 15h
DJ Apollo - The Bully - Head In The Clouds - 1996 #749181 USD $18.98 Buy It Now 15h 22m
APOLLO 440 - AIN'T TALKIN' 'BOUT DUB (4 track CD single) USD $2.47 Buy It Now 15h 29m
Apollo Four Forty : Gettin High on Your Own CD (2000) USD $3.91 Buy It Now 15h 32m
2707 129 MOZART Apollo et Hyacinthus MATHIS SCHWARZ HAGER 2LP DG STEREO GERMANY USD $8.85 Buy It Now 15h 37m
JAKI BYARD APOLLO STOMPERS-MY MOTHER'S EYES JAKI BYARD LAS -JAPAN MINI LP CD C75 USD $14.99 Buy It Now 15h 38m
rare popcorn BILL BIGGER & The APOLLO FOUR on ACADEMY jerusalem shadrack USD $750.00 Buy It Now 15h 41m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - Krupa (UK CD Single) USD $3.79 Buy It Now 15h 44m
Waterdevils - Apollo (CD Used Very Good) USD $10.56 Buy It Now 16h 13m
UFO - 8th January 1982 - Apollo Manchester - Concert Ticket Stub USD $12.60 Buy It Now 16h 17m
HALL AND OATES-Mint Vinyl 45 W/ PS (1985)-A Nite At The Apollo Live USD $3.50 Buy It Now 16h 25m
MEAT LOAF - 25th November 1984 - Apollo Theatre Oxford - Used Ticket Stub USD $16.40 Buy It Now 16h 37m
MOTT THE HOOPLE - LIVE AT HMV HAMMERSMITH APOLLO '09 (2 CD SET) NEW CONCERT LIVE USD $10.99 Buy It Now 16h 56m
HALL & OATES - Live at the Apollo With Kendrick & ** Very Good Condition ** USD $26.49 Buy It Now 16h 59m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"