APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Apollo Four Forty Krupa (5 versions) in card slipsleeve UK CD Single USD $3.88 Buy It Now
Apollo Four Forty Raw Power - 5 versions in card slip sleeve UK CD Single USD $3.88 Buy It Now
STRAVINSKY:APOLLO / LE SACRE DU PRINTEMPS~SIMON RATTLE 1989 EMI CD USD $2.58 [0 bids]
Coheed And Cambria: Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol I CD 2005 Columbia CK USD $6.95 Buy It Now
BOBBY SMITH & ACE HARRIS "JAZZ AT THE APOLLO" Imp. Official 3045 (1989) USD $15.00 [0 bids]
Tour De Force - Hammersmith Apollo [VINYL] Joe Bonamassa Vinyl USD $24.62 Buy It Now
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 299-Roberta Martin Singers USD $20.00 Buy It Now
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 297-Roberta Martin Singers USD $20.00 Buy It Now
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 292-Roberta Martin Singers USD $20.00 Buy It Now
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 291-Mahalia Jackson-PROMO USD $20.00 Buy It Now
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 288-Prof. Alex Bradford USD $9.00 Buy It Now
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 286-Mahalia Jackson-PROMO USD $20.00 Buy It Now
Moon Landing (Special Apollo Edition) Audio CD USD $18.62 Buy It Now
The Spirit of Apollo, N.A.S.A, Very Good CD USD $3.23 Buy It Now
Britten : Double Concerto, Sinfonietta, Young Apollo & 2 Portraits Kent Nagano A USD $7.07 Buy It Now
Stars of The Apollo Theatre 2x LP 1973 Columbia Records EX Bessie Smith USD $8.95 Buy It Now
Hall & Oates A Night At The Apollo Live 12" Single 1985 RCA Vinyl Record USD $4.99 Buy It Now
Apollo Classics 2, Chopin, Good CD USD $2.84 Buy It Now
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 284-Alex Bradford-PROMO USD $20.00 Buy It Now
Apollo 13 by James Horner (CD, Jun-1995, MCA (USA)) USD $4.99 Buy It Now
James brown The Apollo theater presents in person 1962 Red label stereo King 826 USD $35.00 [0 bids]
The Mission live concert Manchester Apollo 27 November 1988 A4 size poster print USD $19.45 Buy It Now
APOLLO SMILE DUNE BUGGY (LP) PROMO SINGLE LP. GEFFEN RELEASE USD $8.00 Buy It Now 14m 48s
Apollo Saturday Night-1964 Atco Japan Audiophile Soul LP-SEALED! USD $49.99 Buy It Now 22m 26s
Apollo 139 - 78 RPM - The Barton Brothers - Minnie The Flapper Jenny - Yiddish USD $5.99 [0 bids]
25m 5s
Apollo 190 - 78 RPM - The Barton Brothers - Tzooris - Yiddish Comedy - 10 Inch USD $5.99 [0 bids]
25m 17s
Apollo 180 - 78 RPM - The Barton Brothers - Cut Speech - Yiddish Comedy- 10 Inch USD $5.99 [0 bids]
25m 28s
Apollo 169 - 78 RPM - The Barton Brothers - Arriba - Yiddish Rhumba - 10 Inch USD $5.99 [0 bids]
25m 40s
Apollo 11 Man's Incredible Venture To The Moon Vinyl LP Album Metromedia Radio USD $9.69 Buy It Now 43m 9s
THE APOLLO STARS - Power of Source LP Record 1974 L. Ron Hubbard - Jazz Funk USD $29.99 [0 bids]
51m 19s
78 RPM THE LARKS APOLLO 427 EYESIGHT TO THE BLIND USD $109.99 Buy It Now 53m 17s
AC/DC live concert Manchester Apollo 13th of January 1986 A4 size poster print USD $19.45 Buy It Now 1h 15m
APOLLO 440 - Dude Descending A Staircase 2 CD NEW SEALED USD $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1962 BY BROWN,JAMES (CD) USD $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
SEALED Apollo Space Program History LP WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKING USD $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
GENLOG Eiskalt 12" VINYL 3 Track White Label B/w Thc And Apollo 4 (efa0216302) USD $5.44 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Apollo 78 RPM The Smoothies 1043 Wyoming / I Tipped My Hat V/V+ USD $5.99 [0 bids]
Saul / Alexander's Feast / Apollo E Dafne by Handel, G.F. USD $20.88 Buy It Now 2h 30m
BRIAN ENO -Apollo Atmospheres Soundtracks NM no date Daniel Lanois Virgin Canada USD $4.55 Buy It Now 2h 54m
Joe Bonamassa - Tour De Force-Hammersmith Apollo [Vinyl New] USD $24.30 Buy It Now 3h 16m
DAMAGED ARTWORK CD : Apollo Sunshine USD $7.49 Buy It Now 3h 18m
Jerry Goldsmith - Christus Apollo [CD New] USD $13.77 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Gli Amori D'apollo E Di Dafne (Zedda) CD NEW USD $17.50 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Lewkovitch: Apollo's Art (The Jutland Chamber Choir) CD NEW USD $14.16 Buy It Now 4h 13m
JEAN MICHEL JARRE & APOLLO 440 RENDEZ VOUS 98 REMIX RARE MEXICAN PROMO CD SINGLE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 14m
DARYL HALL JOHN OATES LIVE AT THE APOLLO LP 1985 RCA AFL1-7035 USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
They Might Be Giants Lot Then Factory Showroom Apollo 18 NO! John Henry Mink Car USD $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 52m
NEW Apollo Sunshine (Audio CD) USD $25.17 Buy It Now 4h 55m
Apollo 100 - Joy-Best Of Apollo 100 [CD New] USD $10.68 Buy It Now 5h 11m
APOLLO 13 Motion Picture Soundtrack CD USD $7.60 Buy It Now 5h 18m
James Brown Get Down With Live At Apollo Vol IV RSD 2016 vinyl LP NEW/SEALED USD $61.07 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Apollo Four Forty (Apollo 440)-Electro Glide In Blue Audio CD SEALED USD $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Apollo: Past Present Future [CD New] USD $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 32m
The Migrants - I Thought That - Apollo - 2007 #232326 USD $3.88 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Route 33 Feat. Alex James - Looking Back - Apollo - 2006 #201001 USD $3.88 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Apollo 13 - Do It Again - Back2Basics - 1999 #32179 USD $3.88 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Coheed and Cambria, Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume One: From Fear Throu USD $4.00 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Apollo 440 / (Don't Fear) The Reaper USD $2.59 Buy It Now 5h 58m
Apollo 440 / Astral America USD $1.62 Buy It Now 5h 59m
SUBMERSE They Always Come Back 12" NEW VINYL Apollo R&S Autonomic USD $16.99 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Apollo 440 / Liquid Cool - CD2 USD $1.95 Buy It Now 6h
DIO-LIVE IN LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO1993-JAPAN BLU-RAY VIDEO +2CD Ltd/Ed R90 USD $76.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Apollo 13 Original Soundtrack CD Compact Disc RARE USD $7.98 Buy It Now 6h 28m
APOLLO GRANFORTE VERDI ERA LA NOTTE & ERI TU CHE MACCHIAVI HMV DB937 USD $9.07 Buy It Now 7h
KASKET August Fades 12" NEW VINYL Apollo Bibio Loden R&S USD $13.99 Buy It Now 7h 7m
CD. Apollo Four Forty - Gettin' High On Your Own Supply USD $6.18 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Patti Smith live concert Manchester Apollo 31st August 1978 A4 size poster print USD $19.45 Buy It Now 8h 17m
PUBLIC ENEMY / ANTHRAX # APOLLO MANCHESTER # ORIGINAL REVIEW 1992 # 16"x 11" USD $1.60 Buy It Now 8h 22m
Patti Smith live concert Manchester Apollo 31st August 1978 A4 size poster print USD $19.45 Buy It Now 8h 23m
JUST FOR A DAY-APOLLO 3 CD NEW+ USD $19.47 Buy It Now 8h 30m
SWAT soundtrack CD score ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL ost Danny Saber APOLLO 440 USD $13.99 Buy It Now 9h 9m
George Frideric Handel: Apollo E Dafne CD NEW USD $15.08 Buy It Now 9h 59m
Killing Joke - Live at Hammersmith Apollo 2010 Part 2 (RSD Ltd 2 x Purple Vinyl) USD $24.64 Buy It Now 10h 55m
ARCTIC MONKEYS AT THE APOLLO BRAND SEALED NEW DVD LIVE USD $12.39 Buy It Now 10h 57m
GETTIN' HIGH ON YOUR OWN SUPPLY APOLLO FOUR FORTY JAPAN CD H4361 USD $1.99 [0 bids]
James Apollo - Hide Your Heart In A Hive NEW CD USD $13.40 Buy It Now 11h 16m
BRIAN ENO Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks CD BRAND NEW Daniel Lanois Roger Eno USD $12.97 Buy It Now 11h 20m
Cliff Richard tour programme Apollo Victoria Theatre 1980 UK TOUR PROGRAM 1980 USD $42.81 Buy It Now 11h 25m
Regreso by Roberto Roena y Apollo Sound (2003) CD USD $69.96 Buy It Now 11h 40m
Covek Na Mesecu - Audio From NASA APOLLO 11 First Moon Landing, EX-YU 7" RARE USD $999.00 [0 bids]
Apollo and Hyacinthus (Pommer, Lrso, Popken) CD NEW USD $19.68 Buy It Now 12h 9m
Apollo 9 (Splashdown Re-Mix) Adam Ant UK 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) USD $50.53 Buy It Now 12h 15m
Adam Ant Apollo 9 (Orbit Mix) 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK TA4719 CBS USD $18.10 Buy It Now 12h 15m
Hall & Oates 7" vinyl single record A Night At The Apollo Live! UK PB49935 RCA USD $12.90 Buy It Now 12h 19m
Locust The Girl With The Fairytale Dream UK 7" vinyl single record APOLLO33X USD $12.90 Buy It Now 12h 19m
78RPM Apollo 1038 Loumell Morgan, Darktown Strutters Ball, Ol' Man River Poor USD $9.95 Buy It Now 12h 22m
Locust In Rememberance Of Times Past Belgian vinyl LP album record APOLLO18 USD $37.56 Buy It Now 12h 25m
MOTOWN APOLLO~RARE 1963 "LIVE"-U.S.ORIGINAL RECORDING "EX/EX"~ LP!!! USD $78.00 Buy It Now 12h 37m
MOTOWN APOLLO~RARE 1980's "LIVE"- "RE-ISSUE VG++"~ LP!!! USD $24.50 Buy It Now 12h 38m
Hall & Oates Live At The Apollo - Sealed vinyl LP album record USA AFL1-7035 USD $31.07 Buy It Now 12h 40m
= The Apollo aka P-LO Style: Triple Threat Mix Tape No. 5 CD VGC USD $2.47 Buy It Now 12h 43m
Apollo 100 Exercise in A Minor / Joy 1971 Mega 615-0050 USD $6.75 Buy It Now 13h 7m
Apollo 440 - Charlies Angels 2000 White Label 12" USD $1.28 Buy It Now 13h 15m
Apollo Saxophone Quartet - Short Cuts (CD 2009) WORLDWIDE SHIP AVAIL! USD $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 24m
London Symp Orch/goldsmith - Christus Apollo NEW CD USD $13.78 Buy It Now 13h 33m
THE BARTON BROTHERS: "CUT, SPEECH" - APOLLO YIDDISH 78RPM USD $3.98 [0 bids]
APOLLO 100 lp RHAPSODY ROCK argentina ID# 42959 MICSA I-140 VG+ EX automat77 rar USD $34.99 Buy It Now 13h 35m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - LOST IN SPACE - CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE USD $5.18 Buy It Now 13h 36m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - (DONT FEAR) THE REAPER - CASSETTE TAPE SINGLE USD $5.18 Buy It Now 13h 36m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for APOLLO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"