APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Electro Glide In Blue - Apollo Four Forty - CD - Used USD $10.94 Buy It Now
Taiwan Teresa Teng & Apollo Band Chinese Movie OST Life Hong Kong 7" CEP2431 USD $34.99 Buy It Now
Gettin' High On Your Own Suppl - Apollo Four Forty - CD - Used USD $10.94 Buy It Now
INSTRUMENTAL POPS NO. 1 LP 1968 UK Apollo Sound Near Mint John Fox Group USD $16.00 Buy It Now
INSTRUMENTAL POPS NO. 2 LP 1968 UK Apollo Sound EX Reg Tilsley Orchestra USD $16.00 Buy It Now
INSTRUMENTAL POPS NO. 3 LP 1968 UK Apollo Sound Near Mint Peter Balding Group USD $16.00 Buy It Now
SYNKRO Transient Ep 12" NEW VINYL Apollo Akkord Indigo R&S USD $16.99 Buy It Now
GACHA Send Two Sunsets LP NEW VINYL Apollo Manual Kavinsky Glass Clandy Cluster USD $27.99 Buy It Now
Live At The Apollo 1962 [Remastered & Expanded] USD $15.06 Buy It Now
MAN ON THE MOON Apollo 11 Moon Landing Record Plus Daily Express Supplement NASA USD $19.22 Buy It Now
WEST COAST JIVE_Apollo Series_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA_Q2 USD $9.38 Buy It Now
Coheed And Cambria ?- Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV (Box C275) USD $11.72 Buy It Now
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Dub 12in Vinyl (Apollo 440 - 1997) SSXT6 (ID:14990) USD $10.91 Buy It Now
Revolution Of The Mind: Live At Apollo V - James Brown - CD - New USD $15.26 Buy It Now
Live At The Apollo - James Brown - CD - New USD $23.46 Buy It Now
LAST OF THE GARAGE PUNK UNKNOWNS Vol 3 vinyl LP NEW garage punk Apollo's Apaches USD $17.98 Buy It Now
The Apollo Entertains USD $14.07 Buy It Now
Gettin High On Your Own - Apollo Four Forty - CD - New USD $17.85 Buy It Now
Apollo 18 - They Might Be Giants - CD - New USD $19.64 Buy It Now
Apollo Ensemble, Invocation - Symphonies 6 & 7 & 8 [New CD] USD $13.18 Buy It Now
Handel - Apollo e Dafne, Daramatic Canatata / The Archemist, Incid... - CD DTVG USD $3.83 Buy It Now
Apollo Four Forty* ?- Gettin' High On Your Own Supply (C314) USD $11.72 Buy It Now
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning St... - Coheed and Cambria CD O0VG USD $15.48 Buy It Now
OST-APOLLO 13-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B63 USD $12.50 Buy It Now
JAMES BROWN LIVE AT THE APOLLO + BONUS TRACKS USD $6.41 Buy It Now
Dominik W rner, Les Lunes du Cousin Jacques - Apollo E Dafne [New CD] USD $13.75 Buy It Now
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - HEART GO BOOM (3 TRACK CD SINGLE) (REF C1) USD $3.84 Buy It Now
HALL & OATES - "LIVE AT THE APOLLO" Album LP Record -In Shrink RCA AFL1-7035 EX USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $6.99 Buy It Now
2m 59s
U2 MYSTERIOUS WAYS UK CD DIGIPACK ISLAND CID 509 1991 APOLLO 440 REMIX BONO ROCK USD $3.84 Buy It Now 46m 10s
APOLLO 13_Soundtrack_used CD_ships from AUS_zz4_Y15 USD $9.38 Buy It Now 46m 50s
Live At The Apollo Vol Ii: Deluxe Editio - James Brown - Vinyl LP - New USD $61.10 Buy It Now 51m 51s
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo, I'm Burning St... - Coheed and Cambria CD 4QVG USD $8.68 Buy It Now 58m 28s
Man concert ticket stub 1975 Glasgow Apollo USD $4.16 [4 bids]
Johnny Mathis Live London Apollo Victoria May 1983 8-Track Tape Cartridge New USD $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Symp Orch/Goldsmith London - Christus Apollo (NEW CD) USD $16.05 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Dice Game - Apollo & Guilty Simpson Brown - Vinyl LP - New USD $25.54 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Free Ship~Economy registered/Hall&Oates LIVE AT THE APOLLO/Japan 12"+Obi,Insert USD $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 19m
HATCHBACK - ZEUS & APOLLO 2LP Lo Recordings 2011 UK ELECTRONICA AMBIENT Mint USD $12.84 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Guns n'Roses "Live at The Apollo" Japan 3CD USD $42.00 [9 bids]
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star 4 Vol 1 - And Cambria Coheed Compact Disc USD $10.46 Buy It Now 3h
Coheed & Cambria : Good Apollo, Im Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear USD $3.98 Buy It Now 3h 2m
King, B.B. : Live at the Apollo CD USD $4.22 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Apollo Four Forty : Electro Glide in Blue CD USD $4.98 Buy It Now 3h 15m
HALL & OATES-LIVE AT APOLLO EDDIE KENDRICK vinyl LP USD $9.48 Buy It Now 3h 18m
V/A " STARS OF THE APOLLO THEATRE " 2 X VINYL LP GATEFOLD EX/EX 1973 USD $10.27 Buy It Now 3h 25m
JAMES BROWN: Live And Lowdown At The Apollo, Vol. 1 LP Sealed Soul USD $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 50m
LP WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL MANKIND APOLLO 11 DECCA DL-79172 VG++ USD $3.99 [0 bids]
B.J. Cole - Apollo [New CD] USD $19.17 Buy It Now 4h 3m
daryl hall john oates live at the apollo with david ruffin & eddie kendrick USD $14.13 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Morey Amsterdam with Sammy Fidler & Orchestra Apollo Records 1127 10" 78RPM USD $4.99 [1 bids]
LP George Engle-Man's Incredible Venture to The Moon. Story of Apollo 11, 1969 USD $4.19 Buy It Now 4h 23m
B.J. Cole - Apollo [New CD] USD $14.12 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Apollo Brown & Ras Kass - Blasphemy [New Vinyl] 180 Gram USD $21.14 Buy It Now 4h 28m
ILLINOIS JACQUET & ALL STARS APOLLO 78-758 Wondering And Thinking Of You USD $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
EX/EX- !! Apollo 100/Rhapsody In Rock/1972 Young Blood International LP/Joy USD $12.84 Buy It Now 4h 36m
EX/EX- !! Apollo 100 + Tom Parker/Masterpieces/1978 Young Blood International LP USD $12.84 Buy It Now 4h 36m
COHEED & CAMBRIA The Afterman: Ascension PHOTO Print POSTER Good Apollo Shirt 04 USD $4.49 Buy It Now 4h 49m
COHEED & CAMBRIA The Afterman: Ascension PHOTO Print POSTER Good Apollo Shirt 04 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 4h 49m
COHEED & CAMBRIA The Afterman: Ascension PHOTO Print POSTER Good Apollo Shirt 04 USD $19.27 Buy It Now 4h 49m
MAHALIA JACKSON~ DIDN'T IT RAIN~ NEAR MINT~ APOLLO~ NOBODY KNOWS THE ~ GOSPEL 45 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 55m
Various Artists-Apollo Theatre CD NEW USD $11.66 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Apollo-Cellar Songs CD NEW USD $6.68 Buy It Now 5h 7m
Josh White and his guitar Apollo Record #170 10" 78RPM USD $9.99 [0 bids]
Various Artists : Apollo 13: Music From The Motion Picture CD USD $3.98 Buy It Now 5h 44m
Rite of Spring / Petrushka / The Firebird / Apollo USD $6.04 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Eno, Brian : Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks CD USD $6.98 Buy It Now 6h
DEEP CALM Apollo Chamber Ensemble/Joshua Leeds, Andrew Weil, Sounds True, NEW USD $11.00 Buy It Now 6h 14m
Live at the Apollo . Disc Only/No Case USD $3.00 Buy It Now 6h 17m
LITTLE ANTHONY~THE FIRE BURN NO MORE~I KNOW~APOLLO~~ DOO WOP 45 USD $16.99 Buy It Now 6h 20m
MAHALIA JACKSON 1961 MONO APOLLO LP BLUES BLACK GOSPEL VG+ / Command Performance USD $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 26m
CD* Apollo - APOLLO *** IMPORT *** OUT OF PRINT *** USD $17.99 Buy It Now 6h 34m
SEASICK STEVE MEMORABILIA - Unused Tickets Stub(s) O2 Apollo Manchester 18/04/17 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 6h 45m
Lynyrd Skynrd concert ticket stub 1976 Glasgow Apollo USD $4.11 [2 bids]
Emylou Harris concert ticket stub 1976 Glasgow Apollo USD $2.56 [0 bids]
Average White Band concert ticket stub 1976 Glasgow Apollo USD $1.27 [1 bids]
Ozark Mountain Daredevils concert ticket stub 1976 Glasgow Apollo USD $2.56 [0 bids]
Commander Cody concert ticket stub 1975 Glasgow Apollo USD $2.56 [0 bids]
Golden Earing concert ticket stub 1974 Glasgow Apollo USD $3.11 [3 bids]
DELIVERANCE Sword of the Necromancer CD Apollo Ra Fates Warning Helstar Sacred USD $4.26 [3 bids]
Apollo, Number 1 in Iran, New USD $18.26 Buy It Now 7h 2m
Vintage 78 1950s 5 Royales "All Righty" "I Want to Thank You" APOLLO 449 USD $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 12m
Rock Lp Hall & Oates Live At The Apollo On Rca USD $8.99 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Apollo Classics ~ Mussorgsky USD $3.92 Buy It Now 7h 29m
Apollo Classics ~ Tchaikovsky #1 USD $4.10 Buy It Now 7h 31m
APOLLO 78 RECORD JAZZ BOTTOMS UP GHOST OF A CHANCE ILLINOIS JACQUET AND ALL STAR USD $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 34m
Robert Palmer - Live At The Apollo (CD 2001) USD $6.26 Buy It Now 7h 35m
THE KEYNOTES: Zenda / Suddenly APOLLO Doo Wop R&B 45 VG+ 70s RE USD $10.00 Buy It Now 7h 40m
KENNY WADE The Works Of His Hands / Did You Ever [45] Apollo 756A-45 Rockabilly USD $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 41m
Nite At The Apollo Live [45RPM] by Daryl Hall & John Oates (Vinyl, 1985 RCA) USD $2.49 Buy It Now 8h
APOLLO FOUR FORTY Heart go boom original UK Promo POSTER rare new ! USD $11.56 Buy It Now 8h 3m
Gettin High on Your Own Supply 2000 by Apollo Four Forty USD $5.18 Buy It Now 8h 7m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R32 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 8h 17m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R31 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 8h 18m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R33 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 8h 18m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R29 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 8h 19m
QUEEN POSTER PAGE 1979 MANCHESTER APOLLO FREDDIE MERCURY R30 USD $6.41 Buy It Now 8h 20m
Rock Promo Lp Apollo 100 Master Pieces On Mega USD $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 46m
Cosmic Curtain-Wings of Apollo CD NEW USD $16.44 Buy It Now 8h 59m
Apollo Ghosts - Landmark [New Vinyl] Canada - Import USD $23.53 Buy It Now 9h 5m

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"