Apollo

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Vince Apollo-I Bear Witness / Del Valians-I Bear Witness-Philly Soul-Reissue 45 USD $8.00 Buy It Now 53m 10s
ADAM AND THE ANTS - APOLLO 9 - 7" SINGLE - PUNK / 80'S / NEW WAVE USD $1.47 [0 bids]
Moon Landing-Apollo Edition - 2 DISC SET - James Blunt (CD Used Very Good) USD $12.90 Buy It Now 1h 48m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY Ain't Talkin Bout Dub 12" Stealth Sonic Recordings ssr6two UK USD $4.79 Buy It Now 1h 49m
APOLLO 100 Tom Parker "JOY" LP MEGA 1970 STEREO USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Cond Fedoseev - Taneyev,s.2, Apollo's temple ... LP USD $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Killing Joke Live At The Hammersmith Apollo Volume limited purple vinyl 2LP USD $31.83 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Killing Joke Live At The Hammersmith Apollo Volume 1 limited white vinyl 2LP USD $31.83 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Golden - Apollo Stars (brand new CD 2002) USD $4.37 Buy It Now 2h 34m
THE SPACE WALKERS ~ Apollo 9 ~ soul/funk promo ~ GAMBLE USD $14.17 Buy It Now 2h 48m
ROD STEWART LIVE AT THE APOLLO THEATRE VIDEO SAMPLER DVD USD $3.22 Buy It Now 3h 30m
JAMES BROWN Best Of Live At The Apollo: 50th Anniversary 2012 CD NEW/UNPLAYED USD $6.65 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Apollo 13 Soundtrack Japan CD - NEW Hank Williams James Brown Jefferson Airplane USD $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
The JACKAL Soundtrack - Japan OST CD - NEW Dolls Head Black Grape Apollo Four USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Slip Double: Mott The Hoople : Live Hammersmith Apollo 2009 Ian Hunter USD $21.20 [0 bids]
FFF CD SINGLE..APOLLO FOUR FORTY..STOP THE ROCK. USD $9.82 Buy It Now 4h 39m
Various-Apollo Et Hyacinthus CD NEW USD $11.76 Buy It Now 5h 25m
KILLING JOKE-LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 16.10.10 PART 2 VINYL NEW USD $32.15 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Apollo's Fire & Jeannette Sorrell Amanda Forsythe - The Power Of Love - (NEW CD) USD $19.60 Buy It Now 5h 33m
PERSONZ - Apollo - Japan CD - NEW J-POP USD $16.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
NADINE SHAH Fast Food LP NEW VINYL Apollo PJ Harvey USD $27.99 Buy It Now 5h 37m
Deacon Blue - Live at Manchester Apollo UK 2007 - 2 CD - New & Unplayed USD $7.39 Buy It Now 6h
Mott The Hoople - Live at London Hammersmith Apollo 2009 - 2 CD - New USD $10.35 Buy It Now 6h
The Charlatans - Live At Manchester O2 Apollo 2010 - 2 CD - New USD $4.43 Buy It Now 6h
James Blunt - Live at London Hammersmith Apollo UK 2008 - 2 CD - New USD $11.83 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Apollo - Past, Present, Future NEW CD USD $15.15 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Lionel Hampton Live - Apollo Hall Concert USD $7.39 Buy It Now 6h 19m
NADINE SHAH Fast Food NEW/SEALED APOLLO LP *RED VINYL* USD $21.90 Buy It Now 6h 26m
The Apollo Acappella Audition Album VG+ LP - Keynotes Dovers Avalons Gentlemen USD $6.00 Buy It Now 6h 42m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY-Gettin` High On Your Own Supply CD NEW USD $14.34 Buy It Now 6h 50m
James Blunt Moon Landing Special Apollo Edition Album CD plus DVD New Sealed USD $10.35 Buy It Now 6h 52m
APOLLO GRANFORTE CON VOI VER AFFE MI FIA CARO & O SANTA MEDAGLIA HMV DB938 USD $5.91 Buy It Now 6h 53m
LAST OF THE GARAGE PUNK UNKNOWNS Vol 3 vinyl LP NEW garage punk Apollo's Apaches USD $17.75 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Hall & Oates Live At The Apollo vinyl LP album record German PL87035 RCA 1985 USD $17.69 Buy It Now 7h 34m
APOLLO 440 Blackout UK 12" promo USD $7.55 Buy It Now 7h 58m
APOLLO 440 Destiny 12" promo USD $6.29 Buy It Now 7h 58m
APOLLO 440 Astral America 12" Sound Clip in Listing USD $6.29 Buy It Now 7h 58m
APOLLO 440 Blackout 12" USD $7.55 Buy It Now 7h 58m
Dvorak : Apollo Classics CD (1995) *CD MINT* FREE POST USD $4.43 Buy It Now 8h 8m
HALL & OATES Live at the Apollo LP Sound Clip in Listing USD $6.29 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Chris Lake Changes 12" Apollo Recordings 2006 USD $19.23 Buy It Now 8h 15m
APOLLO Blackout 12" Vinyl USD $2.95 Buy It Now 8h 30m
JAMES BROWN Live at the Apollo 1995 CD USD $6.29 Buy It Now 8h 40m
Locust Your Selfish Ways CD single (CD5 / 5") UK APOLLO30CD APOLLO 1997 USD $14.05 Buy It Now 8h 48m
Richard Hatch - From Apollo To Tom Zarek ~ The NEW CD USD $19.55 Buy It Now 9h 8m
SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE APOLLO - Various Artists (LP-4613) USD $22.20 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Zeus & Apollo - Hatchback (Vinyl Used Very Good) USD $19.19 Buy It Now 9h 30m
Jack Dee - Live At The Apollo CD - Great Stand Up Comedy NEW/SEALED - Free Post USD $5.91 Buy It Now 9h 54m
Live At The Apollo by Hall & Oates; David Ruffin; Eddie Kendrick USD $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 7m
JAMES BLUNT - MOON LANDING - DELUXE APOLLO EDITION -NEW CD / DVD ALBUM USD $22.20 Buy It Now 10h 18m
JAMES APOLLO ~ 'TIL YOUR FEET BLEED ~ 2010 UK 11-TRACK PROMO CD ALBUM USD $6.66 Buy It Now 11h 5m
WOLFGANG PRESS Going South MIX CD APOLLO 440 JAH WOBBLE USD $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 51m
BOOZOO BAJOU Jan Meyen Ep 12" NEW VINYL Apollo R&S USD $13.99 Buy It Now 11h 54m
Vince Apollo / Del Valians - I Bear Witness / I Bear Witness - Record Shack RS.4 USD $14.81 Buy It Now 12h 7m
COHEED AND CAMBRIA-GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR 1V USD $2.95 [0 bids]
Rush live concert Glasgow Apollo Theatre 12th June 1977 A4 size poster print USD $22.20 Buy It Now 12h 38m
78rpm Jazz - Apollo 769 - ILLINOIS JACQUET - Robbins' Nest - Jacquet Mood USD $10.00 Buy It Now 12h 45m
WILLIE BRYANT WITH TAB SMITH SEPTETTE-VERY RARE 78 RPM RECORD ON APOLLO LABEL USD $2.99 [0 bids]
USD $3.99 Buy It Now
Georg Frideric Handel - APOLLO E DAFNE CD NEW USD $12.24 Buy It Now 12h 54m
DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES ~ A NIGHT AT THE APOLLO LIVE 1985 7" SINGLE EX/EX USD $3.69 Buy It Now 12h 56m
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV - Volume 1 USD $2.37 [0 bids]
MAHALIA JACKSON i wonder if i will ever rest / coming to jesus 45 VG+ APOLLO 278 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 59m
Apollo Four Forty : Gettin High on Your Own CD (2000) USD $3.39 Buy It Now 13h 10m
VOCALTONES APOLLO 1001 MEET THE SPARKS OF RHYTHM M- $100.00 MULTI COLOR WA USD $100.00 Buy It Now 13h 11m
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness [ USD $2.35 [0 bids]
USD $3.92 Buy It Now
VESALA / APOLLO-RODINA (HOL) CD NEW USD $14.24 Buy It Now 13h 40m
JOE BONAMASSA**TOUR DE FORCE: HAMMERSMITH APOLLO (2013)**2 CD SET USD $14.95 Buy It Now 13h 41m
Apollo FourForty - Charlie's Angels 2000 - Music CD USD $4.37 Buy It Now 13h 42m
NEW - Katonah by Apollo Sunshine USD $5.49 Buy It Now 13h 49m
EMI ASD 4177 BRITTEN YOUNG APOLLO/4 FRENCH SONGS LP RATTLE NM- DIG GERMANY USD $5.91 Buy It Now 14h 4m
MELODY MASTERS~MY BABY~WIG BLUES~RARE APOLLO 379~~ 78 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 14h 11m
BOBBY SMITH~DASH HOUND BOOGIE~MEGA RARE ~PROMO~CINDER BOTTOM~APOLLO 807 ~ 78 USD $39.99 Buy It Now 14h 13m
DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES/NITE AT THE APOLLO LIVE WLP JPN USD $8.00 Buy It Now 14h 18m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY Gettin' High On Your Own Supply 2xLP (Epic/550, 1999) SEALED USD $26.99 Buy It Now 14h 20m
Coheed and Cambria-Good Apollo,I'm Burning Star IV;No World For Tomorrow-Deluxe USD $10.35 Buy It Now 14h 21m
SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE APOLLO Redding King Thomas ATLANTIC UK Press LP Laminated  USD $26.65 Buy It Now 14h 39m
STRAVINSKY CONDUCTS ORPHEUS/APOLLO vinyl NM Columbia MS 6646 USD $5.99 Buy It Now 14h 45m
Apollo 11 Mission 1969 Met Life 7" 33rpm Lunar Landing Man On The Moon with Map USD $22.50 Buy It Now 14h 58m
Mahalia Jackson 1959 Apollo Hi-Fidelity 33RPM LP Just As I Am cLEAn! USD $18.00 Buy It Now 14h 58m
Apollo Four Forty (Apollo 440)?CD?GETTIN' HIGH ON YOUR SUPPLY?w/Obi?japan?NM?!! USD $4.99 [0 bids]
Live At The Apollo 10/24/62 - James Brown (CD Used Very Good) Remastered USD $4.54 Buy It Now 15h 25m
Zeus & Apollo * [LP] by Hatchback (Vinyl, Feb-2011, 2 Discs, Lo) USD $25.83 Buy It Now 15h 25m
Rush live concert Glasgow Apollo Theatre 12th June 1977 A4 size poster print USD $22.20 Buy It Now 15h 27m
First Man On The Moon Commemorative Record Apollo 11 45 w PS from 1969 NM $5.00 USD $5.00 Buy It Now 15h 32m
Apollo Saturday Night 1975 Japan Analogue Audiophile NM Vinyl with Insert 150445 USD $31.00 Buy It Now 15h 41m
APOLLO 100 BESAME MUCHO / APOLLO GOES WEST VINYL 7" SINGLE USD $5.86 Buy It Now 16h 8m
Apollo Four Forty Heart 2 LIVE & VIDEO SLEEVE CD Single USD $19.99 Buy It Now 16h 14m
AC/DC Bon Scott ticket Glasgow Apollo 27/10/79 Highway to Hell tour USD $88.84 Buy It Now 16h 15m
AC/DC Bon Scott ticket Glasgow Apollo 28/10/79 Highway to Hell tour USD $88.84 Buy It Now 16h 15m
Christine Miller / Apollo Quartet of Boston - The Ninety And Nine / The Church.. USD $17.96 Buy It Now 16h 35m
She Has No Strings Apollo [Analog] Dirty Three LP Record USD $35.73 Buy It Now 16h 41m
78 -13BB - JAZZ - APOLLO 359 - GEORGE AULD AND ORCHESTRA USD $12.00 Buy It Now 16h 48m
Apollo Hall Concert 1954 Lionel Hampton~1955 Swing Jazz~Epic LN 3190~FAST SHIP! USD $10.75 Buy It Now 17h 7m
Sweethearts of the Apollo (751848876226) New CD USD $14.14 Buy It Now 17h 8m
FIVE ROYALES APOLLO 488 SAME VG+ USD $500.00 Buy It Now 17h 20m
Locust ?- Your Selfish Ways Cat No. APOLLO30CD Cd Single USD $1.47 [0 bids]
LOST IN SPACE MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK CD NEAR MINT APOLLO 440 DEATH IN VEGAS USD $2.95 Buy It Now 17h 31m
NEW AND SEALED 2 X CD,S APOLLO THE FESTIVAL 98 ...CSR CD 5065 AUSTRALIAN USD $15.12 Buy It Now 17h 33m
45-WB.25 Connie Stevens - Apollo / Why Do I Cry For Joey - 1960 USD $14.81 Buy It Now 17h 34m
BILLY CONNOLLY GET RIGHT INTAE HIM LIVE AT THE GLASGOW APOLLO VINYL LP USD $5.17 Buy It Now 17h 38m
LP apollo (lp+7")
~ USD $21.55
LP apollo (lp+7", green)
~ USD $23.37
More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for APOLLO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"