Apollo

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Apollo Presents THE BLUEBELLS Newtown LP PATTI LaBELLE USD $79.99 Buy It Now 30m 32s
Apollo E Dafne/Der Alchemist - Olga Pasichnyk New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shi USD $19.98 Buy It Now 50m 29s
Apollo Saturday Night/saturday Night - Apollo Saturday Night: Saturday Night At USD $24.54 Buy It Now 1h 5m
The 5 Royales! 78 rpm Original Record on Apollo Label. Good Condition! USD $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 12m
HALL & OATES LIVE - A NIGHT AT THE APOLLO - RCA PW-14179 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 20m
HALL & OATES - LIVE AT THE APOLLO - WITH DAVID RUFFIN & EDDIE KENDRICK - 1985 USD $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Trance 2007 Vol 4 (2 x CD) Apollo/Jan Wayne/Yanou/Klubbingman/Comiccon/Roxfield USD $5.38 Buy It Now 2h
SOLOMON BURKE 45 To Thee / I'm All Alone VG++ Promo R&B Original APOLLO bb2240 USD $45.00 [0 bids]
Apollo 440 - Dude Descending A Staircase - CD (2CD) (Sony SAMPCD 13021 2) USD $11.44 Buy It Now 2h 27m
SIR HARRY - APOLLO 17/ UPTOWN ROCK/ DOWN TOWN U,K, 7" USD $13.50 [7 bids]
Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants [Audio CD] 1992 USD $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Megadeth live concert at Manchester Apollo 28th March 1991 A4 size poster print USD $23.40 Buy It Now 2h 57m
GHOSTFACE KILLAH + RAEKWON - APOLLO KIDS (12") 1999!!! RARE!!! WU-TANG ? USD $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 42m
THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS - FLOOD+APOLLO 18 (EXPANDED EDITIONS) 2 CD NEW+ USD $23.12 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Live at the Apollo, Vol. 2 by James Brown (CD, Jun-2001, 2 Discs, Universal Dist USD $30.00 [0 bids]
USD $45.00 Buy It Now
Handel MESSIAH - Apollo's Fire - Jeannette Sorrell - 2 CD Live Recording - NEW USD $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Apollo Saturday Night/saturday Night 0848064003335, CD, BRAND NEW FREE P USD $28.89 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Rabon Tarrant w/ Jack McVea & His All Stars - Apollo Records 78rpm #370 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
The Cellos "Under Your Spell" Apollo Records 78rpm #515 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Solomon Burke "I'm In Love" Apollo Records 78rpm #487 USD $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Gettin' High on Your Own Supply by Apollo 440 (CD, Jan-2000, Sony Music Distribu USD $5.00 Buy It Now 5h 6m
LIONEL HAMPTON---APOLLO HALL CONCERT 1954 (Jazz LP) USD $58.00 Buy It Now 6h 3m
Apollo Presents House Of Virginism - Exclusive #733743 USD $6.23 Buy It Now 6h 19m
The Smiths "Oxford Apollo" live LP (Morrissey) USD $4.25 [3 bids]
Yesterday's Apollo (Sealed) USD $6.59 Buy It Now 6h 24m
AIRMAIL CARD - 12/09/2006 APOLLO BAY MUSIC FESTIVAL USD $7.63 Buy It Now 6h 58m
LIONEL HAMPTON APOLLO HALL CONCER 1954 LP 977 USD $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 12m
JOE BONAMASSA - TOUR DE FORCE-HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 2 CD NEW+ USD $22.05 Buy It Now 7h 19m
APOLLO 13 - Original Soundtrack KOREA CD *SEALED* USD $7.20 Buy It Now 7h 55m
MOTT THE HOOPLE "LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 09"3 CD NEW+ USD $32.54 Buy It Now 8h 17m
Sculptured CD Apollo Ends rare OOP USD $39.99 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Solomon Burke - This Is It-Apollo Soul Origins CD USD $15.59 Buy It Now 8h 38m
Thin Lizzy - Live In London (Hammersmith Apollo 1-22-2011) CD USD $15.19 Buy It Now 8h 45m
Eno Icebreaker With Bj Cole Lanois - Apollo CD USD $20.89 Buy It Now 8h 46m
APOLLO - APOLLO, 2014 FINNISH/FINLAND GREEN vinyl LP + 7", 300 COPIES! NEW! USD $33.99 Buy It Now 9h 17m
Jimmy McGriff: At The Apollo NEW CD Live USD $10.48 Buy It Now 9h 33m
SUPERSUCKERS "LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH APOLLO..." 2 CD NEW+ USD $26.87 Buy It Now 9h 57m
DIO - LIVE IN LONDON-HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993 2 CD NEW+ USD $22.05 Buy It Now 10h 28m
Muyiwa and Riversongz: Live at the Apollo DVD NEW USD $21.91 Buy It Now 10h 31m
Ultimate Vocal Collection Vol.1 - Japan CD - NEW APOLLO USD $13.20 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Mahalia Jackson Command Performance Apollo Records 1961 VG/EX Gatefold USD $39.02 Buy It Now 10h 59m
EDISON RECORD The Church in The Wildwood Apollo Quartet of Boston USD $29.95 Buy It Now 11h 32m
2 RECORDS - 78 RPM'S ( MAHALIA JACKSON---SPIRITUAL /BLUES)--APOLLO RECORD LABEL USD $4.99 [0 bids]
USD $6.99 Buy It Now
Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants USD $4.02 Buy It Now 11h 59m
Mott The Hoople - HMV Hammersmith Apollo 2009 [DIGI PACK] - 2cds - *NEW* USD $9.35 [0 bids]
Robert Palmer - Live at the Apollo NEW / SEALED (CD) USD $8.58 Buy It Now 12h 57m
HALL & OATES LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1985 LP 33 RPM STILL SEALED USD $20.00 Buy It Now 13h 10m
Joy - 100 Apollo New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $18.82 Buy It Now 13h 29m
APOLLO 100 7" PS JAPAN JOY H318 USD $6.00 Buy It Now 13h 48m
European Folkscapes - Al-Zand / Apollo Chamber Players New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CAS USD $24.76 Buy It Now 14h 25m
KEYNOTES 45 A star / I don't know APOLLO Doowop BB2250 USD $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 31m
Luis Russell, I'm Yours/I'm in a Low Down Mood, Apollo 1046 USD $2.99 Buy It Now 14h 51m
Slayer live concert at Manchester Apollo 20th of April 1987 A4 size poster print USD $23.40 Buy It Now 15h 6m
Apollo 440 Rumble EP 12" Stealth Sonic 1993 USD $12.47 Buy It Now 15h 12m
Mott The Hoople - Apollo Manchester 17.11.2013 [DIGI PACK] 2cds + DVD *NEW* USD $14.03 [0 bids]
BROWN,JAMES KING 826 LIVE AT THE APOLLO VOL.1 M- $40.00 USD $40.00 Buy It Now 15h 19m
APOLLO 11 documentary MAN ON THE MOON EP PS Japan s1350 USD $12.00 Buy It Now 15h 23m
Gettin' High on Your Own Supply by Apollo 440 (CD, Jan-2000, Sony Music... USD $7.99 Buy It Now 15h 34m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 4 NEW CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 6 NEW CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 15h 48m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 1 NEW CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 15h 49m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 3 NEW CD USD $6.97 Buy It Now 15h 49m
HALL & OATES-LIVE AT THE APOLLO 1985 RCA REC. 12" PW-14178 EXC. VG+ TEMPTATIONS USD $4.99 Buy It Now 15h 56m
THE CELLOS YOU TOOK MY LOVE ON APOLLO STRONG VG RED WAX USD $10.00 Buy It Now 16h 19m
STILL SEALED / DARYL HALL AND JOHN OATES - LIVE AT THE APOLLO - LP USD $10.00 Buy It Now 16h 20m
Jacquet,Illinois - Jumpin' At Apollo (CD New) USD $14.33 Buy It Now 16h 34m
Illinois Jacquet - Jumpin' At Apollo [CD New] USD $16.07 Buy It Now 16h 57m
CLIFF RICHARD- Silver Tour Concert Programme and ticket-Apollo London 29/11/1983 USD $18.73 Buy It Now 17h 5m
HALL & OATES * A NITE AT THE APOLLO EVERYTIME YOU GO AWAY & THE WAY YOU DO ... USD $6.00 Buy It Now 17h 25m
Billy Idol live concert Manchester Apollo 30th of July 2008 A4 size poster print USD $23.40 Buy It Now 17h 28m
Apollo Nove - Res Inexplicata Volans [CD] USD $15.49 Buy It Now 17h 32m
ORIGINAL BUDDY GUY & BAND CONCERT TICKET 25 MAY 1993 HAMMERMITH APOLLO VGC USD $1.55 [1 bids]
EDDIE BO Please forgive me I'll be satisfied Apollo USD $44.99 Buy It Now 18h 8m
Spotlite On Apollo Records, Volume 5 NEW CD USD $6.95 Buy It Now 18h 41m
Suiten - Ensemble Apollo New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $24.93 Buy It Now 18h 44m
Apollo 100 featuring Tom Parker Mega 615-0050 Joy USD $4.50 Buy It Now 18h 47m
Brian Eno - Apollo Atmosphere & Soundtracks Japan Mini LP Sleeve DSD CD Rare NEW USD $79.95 Buy It Now 19h 5m
Human League Gig List/ Flyer Manchester Apollo 1995 USD $9.35 Buy It Now 19h 11m
Human League A5 Concert Flyer Manchester Apollo 1995 USD $9.35 Buy It Now 19h 11m
Live At The Apollo-Sight & Sound - Music Roxy New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shi USD $10.38 Buy It Now 19h 20m
GROUP DOO-WOP 45 RPM - THE CELLOS - APOLLO 510 - "RANG TANG DING DONG" USD $4.50 Buy It Now 19h 22m
Sugarloaf Mountain: An Appalachian Gathering by Apollo's Fire CD (2015) New USD $31.99 Buy It Now 19h 25m
ROBERTO ROENA Y SU APOLLO SOUND / LP RECORD / 1ST PRESSING / EX+ / PLAY TESTED USD $24.95 [1 bids]
Chinese Instrumental Music/ Hymn To Apollo Victor 24549 78 Record USD $10.00 [0 bids]
Ollopa: Apollo Remixed - De Gaia Banco New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping USD $22.77 Buy It Now 19h 34m
Kid Capri - Apollo (1991) (RARE!) LP (G) 12" USD $29.96 Buy It Now 19h 38m
Robert Palmer - Live at the Apollo (Live Recording, 2001) USD $6.23 Buy It Now 19h 41m
cd-single, 28 Days & Apollo 440 - Say What, 5 tracks USD $3.76 Buy It Now 19h 50m
James Brown Live at the apollo Reel to Reel USD $19.00 [3 bids]
JAMES BROWN - RECORDED LIVE AT THE APOLLO VO.3-"SEALED" USD $110.00 Buy It Now 20h 28m
DIO-LIVE IN LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993-JAPAN DVD+2CD Ltd/Ed P28 USD $72.50 Buy It Now 20h 49m
Rare Blues 78 SUNNYLAND SLIM "Bad Times" APOLLO 1950 USD $16.49 [2 bids]
Rare Blues 78 EDDIE MACK "Cool Mama" APOLLO 1950 USD $9.99 [1 bids]
WYNONIE BLUES HARRIS APOLLO 78 RPM RECORD 362 ILLINOIS JACQUET JACK MCVEA USD $25.00 Buy It Now 21h 56m
NASA The Spirit of Apollo 2x LP NEW VINYL Anti Kool Keith Tom Waits N.A.S.A. USD $24.99 Buy It Now 21h 58m
Apollo (2014, Vinyl New) USD $21.68 Buy It Now 22h 17m
DIO-LIVE IN LONDON HAMMERSMITH APOLLO 1993-JAPAN 2 CD G88 zd USD $30.50 Buy It Now 22h 18m
Apollo Theater (2011, CD New) USD $10.42 Buy It Now 22h 20m
(DH715) Apollo Fourforty, Charlie's Angels 2000 - 2000 CD USD $4.67 Buy It Now 22h 28m
(DF286) Apollo 440, Dude Descending A Staircase - 2003 DJ CD USD $4.67 Buy It Now 22h 29m
LP apollo (lp+7")
~ USD $21.01
LP apollo (lp+7", green)
~ USD $22.79

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for APOLLO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"