APOLLO

2. Lohduton Uni (5:05)
3. Hyvä Ihminen (4:34)
4. Ajatuksia (5:04)
5. Trimalcion (3:18)
6. Hideki Tojo 1884-1948 (2:38)
7. Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa (3:46)
8. Valolta Suojattu Sydän (2:35)
9. Labyrintti (6:19)
10. Pakoon Maailmaa (2:58)

Search APOLLO Apollo lyrics

Search APOLLO Apollo tabs

- Harri Saksala / vocals, accordion, harmonica
- Eero Lupari / guitar, voice
- Heimo Holopainen / bass, voice
- Edward Vesala / drums, gong, tabla, bongo, vibraphone, flute, voice

LP Blue Master BLU-LP 118 (1970)
CD Warner 0927-47661-2

Thanks to WiguJimbo for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

APOLLO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy APOLLO Apollo Music

Meat Loaf live concert Oxford Apollo 25th of November 1984 A4 size poster print USD $19.61 Buy It Now
Apollo Four Forty - Carrera Rapida - Ridge Racer - SSX8T - 12-inch Vinyl Record USD $7.22 Buy It Now
Jerry Goldsmith: Christus Apollo Jerry Goldsmith Audio CD USD $25.07 Buy It Now
Apollo 100 Joy / Excercise In A Minor 45 NM USD $8.95 Buy It Now
THE ROMEOS - Love Me b/w I Beg You, Please - Apollo 45rpm Reissue - R USD $5.00 Buy It Now
Apollo 13 by James Horner (CD, Jun-1995, MCA (USA)) USD $8.95 Buy It Now
APOLLO FOUR FORTY CD SINGLES LOST IN SPACE STOP THE ROCK EXCELLENT CONDITION USD $2.55 Buy It Now
Apollo Four Forty Stop The Rock Promo Mexican USD $10.00 [0 bids]
James Brown - Live At The Apollo LP NEW USD $24.99 Buy It Now
Mozart: Apollo et Hyacinthus / Matt, Morvai, et al by Robert Morvai (CD,... USD $16.33 Buy It Now
Jumpin' at Apollo by Illinois Jacquet (CD, Apr-2002, Delmark (Label)) USD $9.95 Buy It Now
RARE- MAHALIA JACKSON- I'M GOING TO TELL GOD /WAIT UNTIL MY CHANGE COMES, APOLLO USD $4.00 [0 bids]
Vintage 1985 Daryl Hall & John Oates Record Album Live at the Apollo AFL1-7035 USD $7.95 Buy It Now
NO 3.CD,,SINGLE..THE CLUB REMIXES..CLOCK..PHOEBUS APOLLO..HOLDING ON 4 U USD $11.13 Buy It Now
Earl Hines Sextet Flip Phillips Life With Fatha 78 VG++ Apollo Female Vocal Flip USD $17.95 Buy It Now
Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV Volume One Audio CD USD $12.21 Buy It Now
Apollo USD $4.24 Buy It Now
Apollo USD $4.24 Buy It Now
Apollo Four Forty Electro Glide In Blue Vinyl LP USD $9.99 Buy It Now
Radiohead live concert Oxford Apollo 12th of February 1995 A4 size poster print USD $19.61 Buy It Now
RARE 45 RECORD BABY DON'T DO IT/ TAKE ALL OF ME THE 5 ROYALES THE APOLLO LABEL USD $29.95 [0 bids]
MOTT THE HOOPLE - LIVE AT HMV HAMMERSMITH APOLLO '09 (2 CD SET) NEW CONCERT LIVE USD $11.99 Buy It Now
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV No World For Tomorrow Vinyl USD $125.00 [0 bids]
USD $250.00 Buy It Now
1969 Apollo 11 Flight FIRST MAN ON THE MOON - Vinyl - Hugh Downs - 45RPM USD $40.00 Buy It Now
MAHALIA JACKSON IN MY HOME OVER THERE APOLLO RECORD C2197 78 RPM USD $24.50 Buy It Now
ADAM ANT Vive le Rock w Apollo 9 & Scorpio Rising CD oop THE ANTS USD $11.99 Buy It Now
(DN358) Born Lucky, James Apollo - 2011 DJ CD USD $6.53 Buy It Now
Adam Ant - Vive Le Rock (1985) Vinyl PROMO .PLAY-GRADED. Apollo 9, and the Ants USD $8.99 Buy It Now
Iron Maiden live concert Apollo Theatre Oxford 5th May 1983 A4 size poster print USD $19.61 Buy It Now
MAHALIA JACKSON DIG A LITTLE DEEPER APOLLO RECORD C2194 78 RPM USD $19.50 Buy It Now
APOLLO 13 score James HORNER soundtrack CDThe Who HENDRIX Hank Williams USD $12.99 Buy It Now
MAHALIA JACKSON JUST OVER THE HILL APOLLO RECORD C2330 78 RPM USD $24.50 Buy It Now
MAHALIA JACKSON IT PAYS TO SERVE JESUS APOLLO RECORD C-2402 78 RPM USD $24.50 Buy It Now
pc78-Black Gospel-Apollo 198-The Willet Sisters USD $20.00 Buy It Now
BRIAN ENO APOLLO ATMOSPHERES & SOUNDTRACKS VINYL 1983 EDITIONS EG ENO 5 RARE USD $15.50 [5 bids]
HALL & OATES LIVE AT THE APOLLO NEW & SEALED CASSETTE TAPE USD $2.99 Buy It Now
Lionel Hampton Apollo Hall Concert 1954 LP Epic LN3190 LP Vinyl Flying Home USD $9.97 Buy It Now
Meat Loaf live concert Manchester Apollo 29th November 1984 A4 size poster print USD $19.61 Buy It Now
DJ SOKO Domino Effect LP NEW COLORED VINYL Left Of Center Apollo Brown Clear Sou USD $21.99 Buy It Now
LUIS RUSSELL Orch. - SAD LOVER BLUES 78 APOLLO 1012 the very thought of you USD $14.99 Buy It Now
JEANNETTE APOLLO'S FIRE/SORRELL-DON QUIXOTE AND OTHER SUITES CD NEW+ TELEMANN USD $23.94 Buy It Now
Apollo Kerry Getz CD USD $24.69 Buy It Now
Lionel Hampton Apollo Hall Concert 1954, 1st Edition, DG, Big Band/Swing USD $8.00 Buy It Now
Apollo 13 [Music from the Motion Picture] by James Horner (CD, Jun-1995, MCA) USD $1.00 [0 bids]
USD $7.00 Buy It Now
CD. Apollo Four Forty - Gettin' High On Your Own Supply USD $5.21 Buy It Now
Pathe 78rpm Single - APOLLO MALE TRIO Three O'Clock in Morning / CHARLES CINWAY USD $15.00 Buy It Now
MAN OR ASTRO MAN?: Apollo 45 (custom sleeve) Rock & Pop USD $10.00 Buy It Now
Roberto Roena y Su Apollo Sound 5 CD Latin Jazz Salsa Very Rare Non-Rem Fania USD $44.99 Buy It Now
Dirty Three - She Has No Strings Apollo - VGC CD FAST FREE UK POST USD $9.15 Buy It Now
U2 - Real Thing - Remixes - Oakenfold Apollo 440 - CD 5 tracks FAST FREE UK POST USD $6.53 Buy It Now
AVARICE IN AUDIO - APOLLO & DIONYSUS (LIMITED) 2 CD NEW+ USD $27.52 Buy It Now
JEAN MICHEL JARRE RENDEZ-VOUS 98 CD SINGL APOLLO FOUR FORTY FREE POSTAGE USD $19.61 [0 bids]
Apollo 440 cd singles krupa space angels USD $26.15 [0 bids]
APOLLO MAN'S FIRST JOURNEY SPERRY RAND/UNIVAC SEALED USD $39.11 [0 bids]
RUN DMC - JAM MASTER JAY-LIVE AT THE APOLLO,NEW YORK 86 CD NEW+ USD $23.12 Buy It Now
LIMITED EDITION SID VICIOUS POSTER NO: 1098 OF 3000 1978 APOLLO TOUR MARKETING USD $6.53 [1 bids]
ASD 4177 - BRITTEN - Young Apollo RATTLE CoBSO - Ecxellent Condition LP Record USD $11.76 Buy It Now
Up With the Larks: The Uptempo Apollo Recordings 1951-1955 by The Larks (CD) USD $10.99 Buy It Now 15s
Live at the Apollo with David Ruffin and Eddie Kendrick Daryl Hall and John Oa USD $13.02 Buy It Now 10m 2s
JAMES BROWN Best Of Live At The Apollo: 50th Anniversary 2012 CD NEW/UNPLAYED USD $5.87 Buy It Now 47m 36s
T D - Manchester Apollo 1982 (tangerine dream) double album USD $9.09 [0 bids]
HALL + OATES LIVE AT THE APOLLO LP WITH INNER - WITH DAVID RUFFIN + EDDIE KENDRI USD $13.35 Buy It Now 1h 30m
LIONEL HAMPTON APOLLO HALL CONCERT LP 1980'S RE-ISSUE OF 1954 ALBUM DUTCH USD $15.83 Buy It Now 1h 51m
BRIAN ENO Apollo Atmospheres & Soundtracks LP RARE 1983 ORIGINAL UK PRESSING USD $52.98 Buy It Now 2h
NM 12"~LENNY KRAVITZ~APOLLO 440~Black Velveteen (Remix)~[Dub~Short~Instrumental] USD $4.97 Buy It Now 2h 13m
DOO WOP: THE KEYNOTES" I DON'T KNOW: 1955 APOLLO RECORDS MINT MINUS USD $12.00 [0 bids]
MAHALIA JACKSON Move on up a little higher APOLLO 164 10" 78 RPM Shellac Record USD $29.95 Buy It Now 2h 49m
SCHUMACHER, Thomas/VICTOR RUIZ - Apollo - Vinyl (12") USD $13.86 Buy It Now 3h 7m
ASD 4177 Britten Young Apollo etc. / Rattle etc. USD $7.84 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Wynonie Harris Here Come The Blues LP Apollo R&B Denmark NM/NM Illinois Jacquet USD $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Live At The Apollo Hall & Oates 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) UK PT49936 RCA USD $14.58 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Apollo 100 - Joy - The Best Of (NEW CD) USD $10.13 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Apollo 440 Ain't Talkin' 'bout Dub CD single (CD5 / 5") UK SSXCD6 SONY 1997 USD $13.07 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Raw Power Apollo 440 UK CD single (CD5 / 5") SSXCD7 STEALTH SONIC 1997 USD $10.45 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Mott The Hoople - Live At Hammersmith Apollo 2009 (2CD Digipack) New USD $15.69 Buy It Now 4h 49m
HARMONIA MUNDI - HAENDEL - APOLLO E DAFNE - MCGEGAN - NELSON - THOMAS - US - NM+ USD $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 4m
APOLLO BROWN - Trophies (Instrumentals) - Vinyl (heavyweight vinyl 2xLP) USD $32.38 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Hall & Oates 7" vinyl single record A Night At The Apollo Live! UK PB49935 RCA USD $13.01 Buy It Now 5h 11m
Leo Sayer Thunder In My Heart Again UK CD single (CD5 / 5") APOLLO101CDS USD $12.42 Buy It Now 5h 15m
Hall & Oates A Nite At The Apollo Live! 7" vinyl single record Japanese USD $17.93 Buy It Now 5h 18m
MAHALIA JACKSON Silent Night + Lord's Prayer 45 US 1962 Apollo 750 USD $13.98 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Ain't Talkin' 'bout Dub Apollo 440 CD single (CD5 / 5") Australian 6640452 USD $12.42 Buy It Now 5h 29m
James Brown Live at the Apollo Volume IV LP RSD 2016 Sept 13-14/1972 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 5h 31m
PATTI BELLE AND THE BLUEBELLS Sweethearts Of The Apollo CD USD $9.64 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Apollo Four Forty Krupa 2x12" Stealth Sonic Recordings 1996 USD $10.45 Buy It Now 5h 40m
LLOYD COLE 2 cd set live at hammersmith apollo 2004 authorized very lmtd release USD $50.00 Buy It Now 5h 41m
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - Electro Glide In Blue / Cassette Album Tape / 3992 USD $5.22 Buy It Now 5h 44m
SEALED 8-Track APOLLO 100 Master Pieces psych 1972 Mega USD $16.98 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Apollo 440 Charlie's Angels 2000 CD single (CD5 / 5") UK SSX13CD EPIC/TEN USD $8.49 Buy It Now 6h
APOLLO FOUR FORTY - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Dub. CD Single. Van Halen. USD $1.30 Buy It Now 6h
GOOD APOLLO I'M BURNING STAR IV, VOL. 1: FROM FEAR [USED CD] USD $9.84 Buy It Now 6h 4m
adam ant/apollo 9 blast off mix[1984] USD $1.31 [0 bids]
APOLLO [USED CD] USD $12.68 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Cliff Richard Apollo Victoria Theatre 1980 UK tour programme TOUR PROGRAM 1980 USD $43.18 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Coheed And Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star Cd USD $6.53 Buy It Now 6h 28m
SQUEEZE - CONCERT TICKET - 15/3/2007 @ HAMMERSMITH APOLLO USD $1.45 [0 bids]

More places to buy APOLLO music online Buy APOLLO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for APOLLO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

APOLLO Apollo ratings distribution

APOLLO Apollo reviews

Review by Matti
3 stars (3,5 stars) The only release of a Finnish group that - along with their contemporaries Tasavallan Presidentti and others - explored the rock music by adding some free jazz and avant garde. In fact, Jimbo's thorough introduction to APOLLO says it all better than I can do. I borrowed this a couple of years ago and taped it partly. I'm not so deeply fond of it but I find it quite interesting and I wonder how non-Finnish proggers would like it. The singing (Harri Saksala) in Finnish may be hard to take, though Saksala has a strong, a bit raw and Gabrielish voice. But the lyrics sound a bit clumsy to a countryman too. Aside from singing, you might hear some King Crimson, or e.g. Procol Harum in the soft ones.

I think it's the drummer Edward Vesala who's the main character here. His wide set of instruments, including flute, and a fierce percussion style (he comes from the jazz scene) is the key whether one falls for this album or not. Some instrumental pieces are quite hard to digest. The easiest to enjoy are ethearal numbers that remind KC tracks like 'Moonchild' or 'Lady of the Dancing Water'. This one's for the adventurous listeners of early foreign avantgardish prog. Oh, one more thing: the instrumentation info misses "wool socks" by Harri Saksala. Whatever it means...

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
2 stars This legendary record started for me with a huge disappointment, and I was very close to throw the CD out of the window immediately. Reasons for my repulse were the horrible vocals singing extremely stupid lyrics, describing the usage of LSD. I'm pretty sure that the whole album was done while tripping and boozing in the rehearsal room. "Now we are doing some really progressive drug music, YEAH!" Also the crappy album covers were surely drawn whilst getting a bad overdose. The raped woman figure probably stands for The Lady of Finland, a figure how Finns usually symbolize our country. The lazy jazzy blues rock of the album opener fades out luckily quite quickly. The following "Lohduton Uni" (Hopeless Dream) has some good percussion arrangements on the impressionist opening theme, and here the vocals are sung with a more proper manner. The music flows tender and ecstatic, and the lyrics are very depressed. This tune first fades out during a solo, and then introduces some silly accordions blowing the final fanfare, not being very striking arrangement in my opinion. "Hyvä Ihminen" (A Good Man) has thoughtful lyrics, and the music is jazzy pop tune with string arrangements and a good middle part for flute. Sadly also this track had to be faded out again. "Ajatuksia" (Thoughts) is then another disgusting sounding song. The singer states that he'll overthrow the parliament, won't use money and so on. This was probably quite strong political criticisms during the year 1970, but today this won't bring anything new or interesting thoughts for me at least. It is good to rebel and think on your own, but the revolutions just bring worse monsters as dictators, excuse my nihilistic attitude to idealistic anarchism dreams. The composition is a lazy bluesy rock rant with interesting psychedelic fuzz guitar and some percussion included, but I'm still quite sure that the first time of listening of this track will also be my final one. Jukka Gustavson was mentioned as a helper on the line-up list of the album, and there are some neat keyboards to be heard here, which might be his playing.

Apollo's drummer Edward Vesala made a very respected career as a jazz musician, and many of his albums were released by the famous ECM label, which might be considered as some sort of merit. There are some hints of his upcoming career in his two solo tracks on this record. "Trimalcion" is first of them, being an instrumental number with great tunes sounding classical Japanese music, and there's a strong presence of percussions. Maybe due the recording time and rock context, this composition of Edward sounds quite much like the early Jade Warrior. The track ends to a short jazz chaos resembling Frank Zappa's 1960's material. "Hideki Tojo 1884-1948" continues the Japanese theme, but the composition is again basic bluesy hard rock tune with bad singing.

"Laulu Ystävälle Varjojen Maassa" (A Song for A Friend in The Land of Shadows) is melancholic and slow psychedelic oriented ballad, being quite beautiful and real highlight on this album. "Valolta Suojattu Sydän" (A Heart Concealed from The Light) is another basic bluesy tune with "thoughtful" lyrics and fadeouts, but next we luckily get another instrumental compostition of Vesala. "Labyrintti" (Labyrinth) is divided in three parts, and it opens with soft guitar and vibraphone tones creating a modern calm space often present on the ECM label's recordings, which the drummer would be doing in the future. The next part is more oppressing atavistic chanting featuring the band too. After this we return to the melodic realm of Edward's percussions. The change from climax to the funeral bells is edited very roughly. After this the album ends to "Pakoon Maailmaa" (Escaping The World) which is another shorter sung track, musically being a calm jazzy pop rock tune with strong lyrics.

This very unbalanced record infested with league of ugly fadeout endings and bellowing vocals should mostly interest serious fans of Edward Vesala, and also those who want to check out rarer Finnish vintage rock records. This record was not released by the famous "Love Records" label, which released a big amount of all Finnish vintage prog, a factor making it bit more obscure along with albums like "Obus" of Nimbus, Haikara's early discs and Eero Koivistoinen's fabulous"Valtakunta".

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
1 stars Good grief. It’s beyond me why Warner Music felt the need to reissue this thing. I’m all for highlighting early prog music in the interest of history and all, but these guys were a long way from being ready for prime-time musically when this thing released. Judging from various biographies it seems several of them went on to respectable and fruitful musical careers, but it wasn’t on the strength of this album.

Other than the poor production (there are several places where you can actually hear the tape splicing), the worst thing about these tracks is the general lack of any cohesive sense of musical discipline in the arrangements. Acid guitar riffs blast out inexplicably at odd times; the bass player doesn’t seem too interested in what the drummer is doing, and the vocalist is – let’s just say not very good.

If there is a redeeming quality here it would be the liberal use of eclectic percussive instruments, plus flute, harmonica and an accordion that sounds like an organ (or maybe that is the organ, not sure. There does seem to be an organ and also some use of vibraphone scattered here and there). On the other hand they aren’t used very well in some cases; either the tabla or bongos get slapped haphazardly during “Ajatuksia” with no attempt at rhythm whatsoever, and the uneven employment of the flute is just baffling. On “Trimalcion” the thing starts off well enough but by the end it sounds as if the flautist is simply tuning while the drummer bounces pieces of soft wood off his skins.

I could go on but I won’t. This thing must appeal to someone or a major label like Warner wouldn’t have released it (or would they?). I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone though. I should probably give this two stars just in deference to the judgment of Warner’s talent ‘experts’, but I won’t. One star and my apologies to any Finnish fans who are offended by that. Nothing personal.

peace

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
2 stars I follow one law. Don't respond to other's reviews and ratings. Now I'm gonna partially broke it. Because I feel this album is not only forgotten by anyone, but also buried by those, who should promote this kind of things. Prog reviewers.

I'm not Finnish, I'm way down south in Central Europe with normal rock. North of Europe was always interesting and some kind of different. This is album from beginning of prog music and I see some string elements. Aren't they associated with symphonic prog ? And heavy sound of guitars like Uriah Heep ? I mean - this music reminds me other Finnish bands, Haikara is the most visible example. But also others. Considered how old this is, almost forty years, from year when prog was very rare minority, it brings something special. Of course, it can't be compared to 1973 for example. But try to compare first Uriah Heep and this. This is better for me. Heavy like heavy, apples and apples, not pears.

It's heavy, good. It has a little bit of synths, good. Psychedelic sound sometimes, good as well. Melody, prog sound, lyrics which doesn't make any sense (I can't speak/understand Finnish) at all, so just music remains. And it stands well for their 4 stars.

Post a review of APOLLO "Apollo"

Other sites in the MAC network: JazzMusicArchives.com — jazz music reviews and archives | MetalMusicArchives.com — metal music revuew and archives