ODYSSEY - THE GREATEST TALE

Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations)

Various Genres

Various Artists (Concept albums & Themed compilations) Odyssey - The Greatest Tale album cover

Studio Album, released in 2005

CD1 (73:29)
1. Nathan Mahl - Chapter I: Of Longings, Suitors, Deities And Quests... (24:07)
2. Nexus - Chapter II: El Regreso-The Return (27:50)
3. Glass Hammer - Chapter III: At The Court Of Alkinoos (21:32)

CD2 (79:23)
4. XII Alfonso - Chapter IV: From Ismarus To The Land Of Death (I. Ismarus, Land Of The Cicones/II. Seventeen Days Of Open Sea/III. The Land Of The Lotus Eaters/IV. The Land Of The Cyclops/V. The Island Of Aeolus & The Land Of Laestrygonians/VI. Circe's Island/VII. The Land Of Death) (26:01)
5. Simon Says - Chapter V: Minds Of Mortal Men - Meander Tales (25:40)
6. C.A.P. - Chapter VI: Sulle Ali Del Sogno - Odissea: Libri XIV, XV, XVI (28:15)

CD3 (68:07)
7. Tempano - Chapter VII: (I. Hecatombe/II. Book XVII - Odysseus Arrives At The Palace/III. Book XVIII - The Suitors Torment Odysseus/IV. Book XIX - The Beggar Meets Penelope/V. Parnasus) (24:14)
8. Minimum Vital - Chapter VIII: Etranger En Sa Demeure (22:22)
9. Aether - Chapter IX (21:31)

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Odyssey - The Greatest Tale lyrics

Search VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Odyssey - The Greatest Tale tabs

NATHAN MAHL (Canada), NEXUS (Argentina), GLASS HAMMER (United States), XII ALFONSO (France), SIMON SAYS (Sweden), CONSORZIO ACQUA POTABILE (Italy), TEMPANO (Venezuela), MINIMUM VITAL (France) and AETHER (Brazil)

3CD MUSEA FGBG 4534.AR (2005)

Thanks to Grendelbox for the addition
and to Eetu Pellonpää. Atkingani for the last updates

VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Odyssey - The Greatest Tale Music

More places to buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) music online Buy VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Odyssey - The Greatest Tale ratings distribution

VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) Odyssey - The Greatest Tale reviews

Review by erik neuteboom
4 stars I would like to start with my conclusion: NOT TO BE MISSED IN ANY SERIOUS PROGROCK COLLECTION!!!

This lavish international progrock project includes 3 CD featuring nine more or less known progrock bands (each one 'epic' composition) and their musicians and instruments and a 56-page booklet that contains drawings, lyrics and stories about this project and the Greek saga the Odeysey (about Odysseus and his travels on which he met Cyclopes and Sirens).

CD1 (73:29) 1. Opener is Canadian band Nathan Mahl, led by multi-instrumentalist Guy LeBlanc (keyboards, bass and guitar). He colours the alternating music very pleasantly with his vintage keyboards (Hohner clavinet, Rhodes electric piano, Moog and Hammond), the fiery electric guitar is a strong counterpart. During the more than 20 minutes Nathan manages to keep my attention due to great soli, a wonderful vintage sound and lots of strong musical ideas. 2. Argentine band Nexus is my favorite band on this project and they don't disappoint me, the music delivers splendid early Keith Emerson inspired keyboards (fat Moogs and powerful Hammond), some heavy and propulsive guitar riffs, warm Spanish vocals, a piece with classical guitar and many great breaks, accellarations, build-ups and 'grand finales', A MASTERPIECE! 3. USA band Glass Hammer is perhaps the most known progrock band on this 3-CD, they sound here very familiar to their fans: dynamic and alternating with a melodic and accessible progrock sound featuring wonderful vintage keyboards and fiery electric guitar.

CD2 (79:23) 4. XII Alfonso from France sounds very original: an opening with classical orchestrations, choir samples and percussive sounds, then many musical ideas like jazzy with a Hammond solo, dreamy with twanging guitar and soaring keyboards and bombastic with sparkling piano, fiery guitar and flashy syntehsizers. 5. Simon Says from Sweden is another favorite of mine (I love their album Paradise Square from 2002). You have to be up to the a bit theatrical and very distinctive vocals but the duo-keyboard players deliver an outstanding and varied sound. The guitar soli are fiery (he uses an E-bow) this composition is build upon many strong soli. 6. C.A.P. is an experienced Italian band with powerful Italian vocals, lots of organ and piano and some fat, very spectacular sounding Moog soli. This song sounds fluent and often bombastic, C.A.P. is just another good, new Italian band.

CD3 (68:07) 7. Tempano from Brasil is the most original but also less accessible sounding band on this 3-CD. The track starts with church organ and opera-like vocals, then adventurous and a bit wayward progrock featuring sensitive electric guitar work, wonderful choir-Mellotron and great synthesizers. 8. Minimum Vital from France makes alternating and melodic prog with that special blend of church organ and Mike Oldfield- like electric guitar (flowing and fiery). The bombastic final part with howling guitar is very moving. 9. Aether from Brasil is the warm and pleasant final act on this 3-CD. they sound traditional with strong echoes from the neo-progressive movement with music that ranges from swinging with fluent electric guitar to dreamy with soaring keybards and mid-tempo with exciting synthesizer flights. The end is beautiful with sensitive acoustic guitar.

I would like to end with my intro: NOT TO BE MISSED IN ANY SERIOUS PROGROCK COLLECTION!!!

Send comments to erik neuteboom (BETA) | Report this review (#64760) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2006

Review by progrules
5 stars Here's one I'm longing to review for a long time and actually I'm still not quite ready for it. But I can't postpone it any longer. I have to at least make a start with it and perhaps complete it later on. And this is because this is a unique project, one of the very few progressive efforts I'm immensely impressed by. As an ultimate epic freak I imagine myself in paradise with this 3 CD treat. I can tell you, I cannot believe how good this is. The reason why I waited so long for the review is that I want to do an ultimate review over this immaculate performance. But to do that I will have to listen to these great songs more than 10 times so that's over 40 hours listening material in total. And I don't have that much spare time and there's also more I have to listen to. So that's why but patience is running out with me and I will at least make a start now.

I already have been profuse with superlatives and that is fully justified. It's one thing that there are 9 epics on this release but that's on itself no guarantee that it's also a great success. I also have some other epic releases by this label (Colussus of Rhodes and Spaghetti epic no.1) and they are far less at least where my personal taste is concerned. But on this one it's one high quality piece after another. Of course they are not equally good, that would be a miracle, in fact I can make a list in right order from excellent to good, let's do that first before we will do the real review (I know them so well by now that I can at least make this listing): 1. Nathan Mahl (5*) 2. Aether (5*) 3. Nexus (5*) 4. Minimum Vital (4,75*) 5. Glass Hammer (4,75*) 6. Simon Says (4,75*) 7. Tempano (4,5*) 8. XII Alphonso (3,75*) 9. C.A.P. (3*)

But even the last in line is good enough to gave praise for at least parts of the epic. To close down this first part of my review (to be continued ...) I can say the first three of the list are absolute masterpiece tracks, the next three are very very good and the last three are still very much worth while so it will go without further explanation that the total score is the ultimate one: 5 stars. And it's a hundred percent guarantee that if you're a true epic lover you can just do one right thing and that's do everything possible to get this music and it's a certainty that you will love it !!

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#158644) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars We can just admire someone who's able to write something. Each "track" has its own mood, each tells part of this great story (personally, I admire/like/love/adore/worship (maybe) Ancient Greek history a lot (currently have Ancient Greece (first millennium before Christ). Difference makes each band, because for example you have different experience from Glass Hammer and Nathan Mahl. Personally, I don't know how is this connected with certain parts of Odyssey. And if you know "Tardigrade" by Simon Says, you'll feel like at home when listening to their contribution here. Not exactly Tardigrade, but quite close in style and feeling. After all, it's the band I know the best from these selected on this release.

4(+), prepare to taste very long album, maybe too long for you. You'll feel (maybe) that it's too big for human to understand it, to grasp its features, but believe me, it is possible, even not for everyone (as my case illustrates, when I reached the end of this album, I didn't remember what was in the beginning, but am I to blame ?). Even it's hard album, not in terms of prog difficulty, but in terms of length, it is a good album.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#268700) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 27, 2010

Review by The Truth
COLLABORATOR Post/Math Rock Team
5 stars Absolutely stunning (and huge) concept album!

It was a fantastic idea to combine all of these bands together to make one large product that tells the story of The Odyssey and the idea is well finished with the music. Prog rock at it's absolute best is how I describe this album, each track shows how different the bands are and yet they all come together so well! Of the 9 bands, I had only know Glass Hammer and Simon Says (which I will immeadiately point out are the best two songs) and they perform extremely well.

I know this is asking A LOT but at some point you need to just sit down and listen to the album as a whole. That is asking a ton, it's more than 3 hours of music but it really gives you the full experience.

Hard to describe the monstrousity, but I did my best... Go ahead and give it a try!

(First review in a LOOONG time, appreciate any feedback)

Send comments to The Truth (BETA) | Report this review (#278239) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010

3 stars Some of you know i'm not the biggest fan of concept albums especially if they are double albums. Well this one is a triple album, and it's not your seventies triple album with 2 hours of music. No this is well over 3 1/2 hours in length. We get nine bands with each doing a long suite of well over 20 minutes, in fact one track is over 28 minutes. As usual we get very thick and detailed liner notes with this Colossus project. As I scanned the nine bands who are participating there were three that I was looking forward to hearing. NATHAN MAHL, NEXUS and MINIMUM VITAL. I was familiar with all the bands except for the Italian band C.A.P. who actually turned out to be the biggest surprise for me in a positive way.

NATHAN MAHL are a Canadian band who are fantasitc players and i'm a big fan of their "Clever Use Of Shadows" album. I must admit I was disappointed with this track overall.There are a lot of synths used on this one. In fact when the guitar comes to the fore before 21 1/2 minutes it's a welcomed event. 3 stars for this track.

NEXUS from Argentina are up next and they've never let me down. I think I have most of their albums and the keyboards play a big role in their sound.This is a top three track and worth 4 stars.The organ work is incredible.There are some reserved male vocals but not many.They even turn into a jazzy mode at one point. Great track. GLASS HAMMER and me just don't get along (haha). So I wasn't expecting a lot and they really did surprise me here. I like the chunky bass early and throughout and also the organ and guitar late. Male and female vocals here. 3 stars for this one.

XII ALFONSO from France are next and they impress early with the atmosphere and choir-like vocals. A calm ends all of that around 2 1/2 minutes. I find this one drags quite often. A lighter mood comes in before 14 1/2 minutes. 3 stars for this one.

SIMON SAYS is my least favourite. I just can't get into this band and unfortunately this track is no different. I do like the sampled mellotron though. 2 stars for this one. C.A.P. is an Italian band and they impressed me a lot with this track.You can hear the sounds of pigs then flute joins in followed by acoustic guitar.Vocals before 2 minutes then it all turns more passionate. A calm after 6 1/2 minutes then it turns jazzy then it picks up. It settles again as contrasts continue. Love the section from 13 1/2 minutes to after 16 minutes. 4 stars.

TEMPANO from Argentina opens their song with spoken theatrical vocals as the organ comes and goes.The music kicks in just before 2 1/2 minutes. Some nice guitar after 4 1/2 minutes. I'm most impressed with the guitar on this one. 3 stars. MINIMUM VITAL offers up the best track in my opinion.This band from France has it all. Great sounding guitar, organ and vocals. I love this track ! 4.5 stars.

AETHER was good with that pulsating organ early before the guitar takes over and some nice chunky bass. A calm with vocals 3 1/2 minutes in. Atmosphere settles in before 1 1/2 minutes.The mood and tempo continues to shift. Good song. 3 stars.

So overall i'm giving this 3 stars but keep in mind that every wriiten review on here before mine is 4 and 5 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#477573) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
4 stars When I saw the length of this magnum opus I was quite taken back as it is 220 minutes of full blown prog attempting to capture the mammoth tome of Homer's "Odyssey" in musical form. Jammed on to 3 CDs this is quite an arduous task in itself, to listen from start to finish to such a monster, however it is certainly masterfully produced and quite astounding musicianship and compositional structures. There are 3 tracks of over 20 minutes in length on each CD, so in effect it is a series of epics that work like a classical multi-movement suite encompassing the whole legacy of Homer's masterpiece. The undertaking is certainly ambitious and will take some patient prog ears to endure from go to woe, but it is a journey, a quest, and something unique for those who would dare to venture in. The main drawcard for me in taking the "Odyssey" test is the addition of such class acts as Glass Hammer and Nexus, though I was very unfamiliar with other artists so in a way it is like a samper, as one can sample what these bands offer and perhaps discover some hidden treasures.

The album opens where 'The Odyssey' begins, with 'Chapter I: Of Longings, Suitors, Deities And Quests...' presented to us by Nathan Mahl, a Canadian band led by multi-instrumentalist Guy LeBlanc who plays bass, guitar, and keys, including mesmirising performances on clavinet, Hammond, Moog and electric piano. The guitar is prominent and howls and soars along the crest of ambient waves. The atmosphere is a cinemascape of symphonic grandeur and majestic power.

'Chapter II: El Regreso-The Return' is by Argentine proggers Nexus, a very popular group that certainly makes their presence known on this opus. They prefer a sound akin to ELP with pounding Hammond staccato phrases and a mixture of heavy guitar to acoustic vibrations, taking the listener on the journey with subtlety and finesse. The Spanish vocals work well with the thematic content and this must surely rank as one of the highlights of the album.

Glass Hammer is the most well known band of the 9 on offer here, and I certainly looked forward to sitting under their enimitable style of prog for over 21 minutes. They play a track called 'Chapter III: At The Court Of Alkinoos', no relation to the Crimson King's Court, but just as good. The keyboards blaze with power and the guitars are captivating. This is one of the best songs I have heard from the American proggers and well worth seeking out for Glass Hammer fans.

CD2 begins with France's XII Alfonso with their massive epic 'Chapter IV: From Ismarus To The Land Of Death (I. Ismarus, Land Of The Cicones/II. Seventeen Days Of Open Sea/III. The Land Of The Lotus Eaters/IV. The Land Of The Cyclops/V. The Island Of Aeolus & The Land Of Laestrygonians/VI. Circe's Island/VII. The Land Of Death)'. It is a 26 minute excursion into symphonic territory, with choirs and a solid percussion attack. The jazz touches and swathes of synthesizers are dynamic, but I particularly like the Hammond blasts and guitar sonics.

Simon Says play a masterful song 'Chapter V: Minds Of Mortal Men - Meander Tales'. The Swedish band are virtuoso musicians with twin keyboard battles and searing guitar licks, with the use of an E- bow at times.

C.A.P. are from the Rock Progressive Italiano school of thought and their track 'Chapter VI: Sulle Ali Del Sogno - Odissea: Libri XIV, XV, XVI' showcases their talents. The keyboards are a dominant force especially the use of Moog synthesizer. The Italian vocals hold nothing back and it is a distinctive sound generated to cap (no pun intended) off another wonderful CD.

CD3 begins with Brazilian Tempano's 'Chapter VII: (I. Hecatombe/II. Book XVII - Odysseus Arrives At The Palace/III. Book XVIII - The Suitors Torment Odysseus/IV. Book XIX - The Beggar Meets Penelope/V. Parnasus)'. It begins with cathedral organ grinding and operatic tones in the vocals, makig this a genuine fish out of water on this project. The Mellotron is haunting and creates foreboding atmospheres of grandeur and cinematic imagery.

French band Minimum Vital offer 'Chapter VIII: Etranger En Sa Demeure', with more church organ sounds and beautiful electric guitar soloing. There is a certain bombastic feel to their approach and the guitars are absolutely glorious, soaring to the stratosphere.

Brazilian band Aether close the album with the oddly short-titled track, 'Chapter IX', that clocks 21:31 minutes. It is quite a dreamy track with loads of synths and swirling spacey nuances. The guitars rise and fall along the plateau of keyboard ambience, making this one of the most beautiful pieces on the box set.

At the end of the album one is left with a sense that they have experienced one of the grandest most majestic albums, harkening back to the vintage 70s years when prog bands churned out music like this without fear. The fact that "Odyssey" was released during 2005 makes it all the more astounding and the collaboration of the 9 bands is a one off and a treasure to be savoured. It is not an album I would turn to often due to the challenging and overwhelming length, but it is certainly worth a visit now and then to experience the power of Homer's classic, and the beauty of music at its highest calibre.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#817939) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 10, 2012

4 stars I can admit that I was not able to listen to this all in one sitting. After all 9 songs, all over 20 mintues can be a lot to take in all at once. Still, since it is 9 different bands, each taking a track, it makes it much easier to digest. I've said in other reviews that I love these Collsus rele ... (read more)

Report this review (#215140) | Posted by infandous | Tuesday, May 12, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars ODYSSEY "The Greatest Tale" a 3CD prog epic from Finland's Colossus group and MUSEA Records. Favorite discs: 1, 3, 2. DISC ONE 1. NATHAN MAHL. Instrumental with excellent really enjoy the piano and electric guitar 'dance' during the softer parts. Great seering guitar soli towards the end. J ... (read more)

Report this review (#212580) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Monday, April 27, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars If you like 70's prog at all, this is yearning to be bought. (You will hear sounds of Yes, Genesis, Lots of ELP, and Pink Floyd, and some King Crimson) Each song is a journey all on its own, taking your mind to a distant Greek fantasy. The level of musicianship on this project exceeds the vast ... (read more)

Report this review (#168324) | Posted by OzzProg | Monday, April 21, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I must admit that I bought the triple-CD hypnotized by the art-cover, a wonderful painting that is clearly inspired by the extraordinary italian 1971 TV movie of the Odyssey, featuring Irene Papas as Penelope and Bekim Femiou as Odysseus.... and then....after a little moment of disappointment ... (read more)

Report this review (#68659) | Posted by | Tuesday, February 07, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Report this review (#66073) | Posted by | Sunday, January 22, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars ODYSSEY - THE GREATEST TALE is a brilliantly designed concept-boxset with a huge, feature-rich booklet. The 3 CDs containing 9 longtracks (9 chapters) of the -wellknown- greek saga, every song is far beyond the 20 minutes border !!! Is this a good or bad sign for a CD ?....well, let's se ... (read more)

Report this review (#63680) | Posted by Grendelbox | Saturday, January 07, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of VARIOUS ARTISTS (CONCEPT ALBUMS & THEMED COMPILATIONS) "Odyssey - The Greatest Tale"