DEVLAB

12. Devlab XII (4:44)
13. Devlab XIII (9:45)
14. Devlab XIV (4:11)
15. Devlab XV (2:04)

- Devin Townsend ("Written, Produced and all that by The Dev")

With:
Occasional guests

"(Devlab) is an experiment in sounds Devin calls "heavy metal ambience". It's
more like across between the EKO techno project (from the Accelerated Evolution
Special Edition) and the song "Love Load" off of the Infinity EP.

Artwork: Konrad J. Palkiewicz

CD Hevydevy Records ‎- none (2004, Canada)

Thanks to Dorsalia for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND Devlab Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
EmpathEmpath
$8.81
Ocean MachineOcean Machine
Insideout Music 2010
$12.31

More places to buy DEVIN TOWNSEND music online Buy DEVIN TOWNSEND & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

DEVIN TOWNSEND Devlab ratings distribution

DEVIN TOWNSEND Devlab reviews

Review by LiquidEternity
2 stars You know, I feel bad giving this two stars. I mean, I don't like it at all. That's fair enough. But I know that this stuff does exactly what Devin wants it to do, and it's a marvel in production and recording techniques or something. What we have here is a lot of noise dedicated to imitating a fever-dream. It does, too. It makes you feel kind of woozy and confused, with a touch of nausea now and then.

I have never really been a fan of noise or drone music or whatever all that stuff is. I usually like music with my music. But there is still something inherently fascinating about Devlab. I've listened to it a bunch of times, trying to figure out what it is about this album that keeps making me click on track number one. I subject myself again and again to this hour-long mash of noise and grating ambiance. Obviously, something about it is good, but I can't understand what. Devin put his heart and soul into this project, and I can see where his work paid off.

In all, though, this is an album just for serious fans or noise junkies. You have to be pretty patient with Mr. Townsend to really get much out of this album aside from a headache.

Review by The Crow
2 stars Is this pure garbage or pure art?

The answer for this question is difficult. I am sure that this album is some kind of masterpiece of noise music for some people out there. In the matter of fact, I have read some reviews of people honestly loving Devlab.

Nevertheless, for me this is just a curiosity from the mind of one of my favourite prog artists. It is deep, emotional and very challenging. However, I do not like it. Maybe I do not understand this record, or maybe it is just not my kind of music but I find the hearing of Devlab a dull and unpleasant experience.

The only interesting factor about this record is its connection with other Devin experiments like the ones in Terria and some parts of the Strapping Young Lad records, where he investigated some noises and effects with success. However, an entire album of this kind is just too much!

Best tracks: I cannot really say. None? All of them?

Conclusion: I must say that the mixing and the amount of work that this album has behind it is remarkable and I am sure that fans of noise music can really appreciate it, but I find Devlab just boring, too hard and annoying.

Sorry Devin, but that is just not for me.

My rating: **

3 stars 'Devlab' is like a hot melt glue gun - it will melt you... 'Devlab' is an instrumental, experimental, ambient venture that was obviously not crafted for an audience, but for Devin's own personal pleasure in experimenting with his new (at the time) audio technology. This is made clear by the f ... (read more)

Report this review (#1328838) | Posted by Quirky Turkey | Friday, December 26, 2014 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Devin Townsend is quite an interesting man. I remember, awhile back, listening to his work in the band Strapping Young Lad, and even then I thought the sound the band produced was remarkable. Although not a huge fan of his solo work, the album art and strange album name got me hooked into listeni ... (read more)

Report this review (#1328039) | Posted by aglasshouse | Tuesday, December 23, 2014 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Devin Gee, you're doing it wrong! Not that I have an attraction to ambient music, but this here is far from attractive. Rather, it's bad, inaudible, totally ridiculous. I do not know what the intent of Devin to do this album, but OF COURSE it was not anything serious or committed. I respect his a ... (read more)

Report this review (#828194) | Posted by voliveira | Tuesday, September 25, 2012 | Review Permanlink

3 stars So [%*!#]ing weird... Devin Townsend is usually known for recording and producing metal albums, whether it be the extreme tendencies of Strapping Young Lad, or his laidback, mellow solo albums. Here, Devy's trying something different, aiming for a sound he describes as ''heavy metal ambience''. ... (read more)

Report this review (#192238) | Posted by ZeroDreamPlasMaximus | Sunday, December 7, 2008 | Review Permanlink

2 stars I'm gonna melt you guys.... this is the prime objective of Devin on this album, and he achieves it, however, its not a very plesant melting... i found this album to be extremly dissapointing, i mean reeeeally dissapointing, im such a big fan of Devin. I thought this was going to be an atmo ... (read more)

Report this review (#161141) | Posted by TR!P | Thursday, February 7, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEVIN TOWNSEND "Devlab"