POPULAR MUSIC

Marillion Popular Music album cover

Buy MARILLION Music
Live, released in 2005

Disc One: (57:28)
1. A Few Words For The Dead (9:40)
2. Dry Land (4:58)
3. When I Meet God (10:14)
4. White Russian (6:17)
5. Estonia (7:51)
6. This Town (3:48)
7. The Rakes Progress (2:43)
8. 100 Nights (5:14)
9. Sugar Mice (6:40)

Disc Two (58:21)
1. Berlin (8:40)
2. Warm Wet Circles (4:18)
3. That Time Of The Night (5:58)
4. Script For A Jester's Tear (9:59)
5. This Strange Engine (22:13)
6. The Space (7:13)

Search MARILLION Popular Music lyrics

Search MARILLION Popular Music tabs

- Steve Hogarth / vocals
- Mark Kelly / keyboards
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

Racket Records, Catalogue # Racket 25. It's a companion CD of the first disc of "Wish You Were Here" DVD.

Thanks to gatot for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MARILLION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MARILLION Popular Music Music

EMI Europe Generic 2007
Sounds Can't Be MadeSounds Can't Be Made
Special Edition
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2014
Vol. 2-Happiness Is the Road: the Hard ShoulderVol. 2-Happiness Is the Road: the Hard Shoulder
Racket 2008
Vol. 1-Happiness Is the Road: EssenceVol. 1-Happiness Is the Road: Essence
Racket 2008
Sounds That Can't Be MadeSounds That Can't Be Made
Deluxe Edition
Eagle Rock Entertainment 2012
B'Sides ThemselvesB'Sides Themselves
EMI Europe Generic 1992
Fish MARILLION Crash Course an introduction SAMPLER PROMO UK made CD 2009 US $39.99 Buy It Now 30m 21s
Marillion FISH Lady Let it Lie w/ 3 RARE LIVE TRX CD single SEALED 1994 LIMITED US $24.99 Buy It Now 46m
MARILLION incommunicado 12" 3 track album mix b/w alternative mix and going unde US $8.29 Buy It Now 1h
CD Double: Fish : Communion : Live Haddington Scotland 2006 Marillion US $25.73 [0 bids]
CD Album: Fish : Internal Exile : Marillion US $24.89 [0 bids]
CD Album: Fish : Field Of Crows Marillion US $29.05 [0 bids]
TIME LIFE-ROCK STARS-2CDS/QUEEN/ROD STEWART/MARILLION/T.REX/MEAT LOAF/EAGLES US $3.30 [1 bids]
FISH "RAW MEAT" LIVE HAMBURG 23/6/92 RARE 2 x CD SET MARILLION US $21.57 [0 bids]
Acoustic Session by Fish CD Mail Order Only 1994 Marillion US $0.99 [0 bids]
Marillion: Freaks Kayleigh Childhoods End White Feather, Live 12 inch RARE EX+ US $4.97 [0 bids]
AIRBRIDGE-PARADISE MOVES,VERY RARE PRIVATE UK PROG HARD,ROCK,NWOBHM,MARILLION US $12.99 [0 bids]
MARILLION:CLUTCHING AT STRAWS,1987,UK LP,EMI,VG+ US $4.97 [0 bids]
MARILLION "WARM WET CIRCLES" 2003 CD ALBUM COMPILATION US $3.30 [0 bids]
Marillion Live At Walsall Junction Limited Edition USED CD US $60.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Marillion Unofficial Baktabak Interview Disc Ltd Ed Rare 12in Fish Era US $16.61 [0 bids]
Fish (Marillion) "Big Wedge" 3-track UK CD single, 1989 US $5.00 [0 bids]
Marillion "The Great Escape" 3-Track CD single (Netherlands, 1994, Rare) US $10.00 [0 bids]
Fish (ex-Marillion) "Field of Crows" CD (Chocolate Frog Records, 2003) US $12.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION - A SUNDAY NIGHT ABOVE THE RAIN - NEW SEALED 12" VINYL 3 LP US $59.77 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Marillion - Market Square Heroes 12'' Picture Disc US $95.00 Buy It Now 2h 48m
FISH MARILLION 1990 gentlemans excuse LTD UK ISSUE SHAPED PICTURE DISC NEW US $24.95 Buy It Now 2h 50m
MARILLION - RADIATION 2013 NEW VINYL US $44.05 Buy It Now 2h 51m
FISH:SOMETHING IN THE AIR,1992,12",POLYDOR,MARILLION,EX+ US $9.65 [2 bids]
MARILLION ~ The Thieving Magpie {La Gazza Ladra} ~ GATEFOLD 2 x VINYL LP US $7.47 [0 bids]
MARILLION - No One Can (1992 3 track CD Single) Fish US $6.63 [0 bids]
3h
Marillion - Fugazi 12'' Picture Disc US $85.00 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Marillion - Punch And Judy 12'' Picture Disc US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 10m
MARILLION - THE THIEVING MAGPIE (LA GAZZA LADRA) CASSETTE TAPE US $5.54 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Marillion - Assassing 12'' Picture Disc US $60.00 Buy It Now 3h 18m
ETERNAL WANDERERS - SO FAR AND SO NEAR NEW 2011 MAGENTA/MOSTLY AUTUMN/MARILLION US $16.19 Buy It Now 3h 22m
Marillion - Misplaced childhood 12'' Picture Disc US $75.00 Buy It Now 3h 24m
Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors by Fish (CD, Feb-1990, Import) Marillion US $4.99 [1 bids]
Fish (Marillion)/Credo (2 Versions) + 1 (UK/Sealed) US $14.99 [0 bids]
Marillion - Warm Wet Circles 12'' Picture Disc US $40.00 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Marillion - Lavender 12'' Picture Disc US $45.00 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Marillion Lp Brief Encounter mini album 5 songs 1986 Capitol records US $11.65 Buy It Now 3h 40m
Marillion - The Singles 89-95 NEW CD US $25.88 Buy It Now 3h 52m
Fish Acoustic Session Austria Import Live @ Funny Farm 1994 Marillion HTF US $19.99 [0 bids]
Marillion - The Best Of Both Worlds NEW 2 x CD US $16.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Marillion "Script For A Jester's Tear" LP Fish Genesis Rush Julian Cope Saga Yes US $9.99 [0 bids]
Marillion - Uninvited Guest 7'' Picture Disc US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Fish (ex-Marillion)- A Gentleman's Excuse Me - UK 7" Single Pressed on Red Vinyl US $3.99 [0 bids]
MARILLION Sounds That Can't Be Made Deluxe Campaign Edition CD/DVD Making Sounds US $29.99 [0 bids]
Marillion - Easter/The Release - UK Version 7" Picture Disc Single US $4.99 [0 bids]
Misplaced Childhood - Marillion LP RARE CAPITOL 1985 PROG ROCK US $9.65 Buy It Now 6h 34m
Marillion LP Misplaced Childhood 1985 NM US $13.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION-Kayleigh CD-BRAND NEW-Still Sealed US $11.18 Buy It Now 8h 19m
MARILLION Script For A Jester's Tear CAPITOL US ORG PROMO LP US $24.00 Buy It Now 8h 32m
Marillion "Fugazi" LP Capitol EMI 1984 Neo-Prog Genesis Fish Arena Progressive US $4.00 [2 bids]
Marillion "Script for a Jester's Tear" LP Capitol EMI Neo-Prog Genesis Fish 1983 US $4.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION Singles Box Vol.2 '89 - '95 12 CD B4841A US $49.50 [0 bids]
radio Rock Over London 427 DAVID BOWIE abc MARILLION fm ANDY SUMMERS Japan BONO US $15.99 Buy It Now 9h 53m
Marillion Lavender + Freaks 7in single 1985 Australian pic sleeve US $9.35 Buy It Now 12h 29m
Tony Banks Sound Japan Promo Vinyl LP Genesis Marillion US $59.99 Buy It Now 12h 48m
MARILLION GRENDEL 12" PICTURE DISC RSD 2013 MINT US $24.89 Buy It Now 13h 22m
Rare Marillion EMI 7" Singles Set of 3 Picture Sleeve 1982-1984 Great Collection US $24.76 Buy It Now 13h 58m
MARILLION holidays in eden 1991 GREEK LP prog rock near mint US $25.99 Buy It Now 14h 15m
MARILLION MISPLACED CHILDHOOD Cd US $19.05 Buy It Now 14h 57m
Marillion Incommunicado / Going Under 1987 7" Vinyl Single Record US $11.58 Buy It Now 15h
Marillion - Xmas 2012 Sleighed again cd fanclub issue US $9.35 [0 bids]
Marillion - A Singles Collection (Best Of CD, 1992) *Ex Cond. & 24 HOUR POST* US $8.29 Buy It Now 17h 2m
MARILLION - SCRIPT FOR A JESTERS TEAR. US $13.29 [0 bids]
MARILLION 'LAVENDER' UK PRESSED PICTURE DISC 12" SINGLE US $24.89 Buy It Now 17h 28m
MARILLION 'INCOMMUNICADO' UK 12" SINGLE US $9.95 Buy It Now 17h 28m
MARILLION 'NO ONE CAN' UK PICTURE DISC 12" SINGLE US $14.93 Buy It Now 17h 28m
MARILLION 'DRY LAND' UK PICTURE DISC 12" SINGLE US $16.59 Buy It Now 17h 28m
CASSETTE: FISH Vigil in a wilderness ROCK PROG Marillion US $4.97 Buy It Now 17h 34m
Fish - Songs from the Mirror (2012) CD ALBUM MARILLION US $3.07 [5 bids]
Marillion original badge 1980s enamel/ metal US $8.29 [1 bids]
Marillion(7" Vinyl P/S)The Hollow Man-Epic-DINK 1-UK-NM/VG+ US $9.95 Buy It Now 18h 54m
Marillion - Hooks In You / After Me EMI MARIL-10 Ex Condition7" Single US $6.63 Buy It Now 18h 54m
MARILLION Freaks 1988 UK 7" Vinyl Single Live Kayleigh Excellent Condition US $16.59 Buy It Now 19h 19m
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood 2008 (NEW CD) US $16.18 Buy It Now 19h 34m
Marillion - Best Of Both Worlds (NEW CD) US $18.67 Buy It Now 19h 34m
Marillion - Holidays In Eden (NEW CD) US $18.67 Buy It Now 19h 34m
Marillion - Thieving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra, Live Recording, 1988) - Fast Post US $13.27 Buy It Now 19h 36m
A Sunday Night Above the Rain [7/22] * by Marillion (CD, Jul-2014, Eagle... US $12.67 Buy It Now 19h 40m
MARILLION 'SEASONS END' UK LP US $16.59 Buy It Now 19h 53m
MARILLION 'REAL TO REEL' UK LP US $13.27 Buy It Now 19h 53m
MARILLION 'FUGAZI' UK LP US $14.93 Buy It Now 19h 53m
MARILLION - Framed CD Presentation Disc Display US $24.89 Buy It Now 19h 53m
MARILLION - Framed CD Presentation Disc Display US $24.89 Buy It Now 19h 53m
Marillion - Season's End (NEW CD) US $14.51 Buy It Now 19h 54m
Marillion - Afraid Of Sunlight (NEW CD) US $18.67 Buy It Now 19h 54m
Marillion- Garden Party (The Great Cucumber Massacre) 7" US $8.29 Buy It Now 19h 55m
Marillion- Hooks In You 7" US $6.64 Buy It Now 19h 55m
Marillion- Punch And Judy 7" US $9.95 Buy It Now 19h 55m
VARIOUS ARTISTS 'ROCK THE NATION' UK DOUBLE LP KISS BON JOVI MARILLION US $16.59 Buy It Now 20h
MARILLION - SOMEWHERE IN LONDON - SMACD1007 US $23.75 Buy It Now 20h 18m
Marillion - Incommunicado 7" Vinyl P/S Single US $4.15 [0 bids]
Marillion - Lavander 7" Vinyl P/S Single US $4.15 [0 bids]
Marillion Seasons End 1989 Mexican Gatefold LP. Very Rare. US $20.99 Buy It Now 20h 40m
Marillion - Live From Loreley (NEW CD) US $18.67 Buy It Now 20h 43m
Marillion - A Sunday Night Above The Rain (NEW CD) US $27.80 Buy It Now 20h 44m
Marillion / Gary Moore Harp Beat '86 Concert Vintage 1 Page Advert / Poster. US $2.47 [0 bids]
21h
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 10 Double Vinyl LP-HEART,POGUES,MARILLION, US $29.06 Buy It Now 21h 14m
Marillion(12" Vinyl P/S)Market Square Heros-EMI-12EMI 5351-UK-VG/VG US $15.99 Buy It Now 21h 19m
Marillion - Sight Sound (NEW CD+DVD) US $11.61 Buy It Now 21h 25m
Marillion - Early Stages: The Highlights (The Official Bootleg Coll (NEW 2 x CD) US $18.67 Buy It Now 21h 35m
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $36.52 Buy It Now 21h 44m

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MARILLION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MARILLION Popular Music ratings distribution

MARILLION Popular Music reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars What an EXCELLENT Live set!

When last month www.marillion.com offered a March Sales Madness, I purchased "Popular Music" as bonus CD with very good deal of discount on my purchase of Marillion's "Wish You Were Here" DVD (4 disc). Actually I was not interested to have the CD because of two response: First I read some a review about this CD on the net and found only "good" rating ; Second, I was not interested at all with the cover artwork - it's not prog at all. I got confused with the "focus" of the camera shot: is it the trees or the tents that became the focus? The cover also reminds me, pictorially, to the cover artwork of The Tangent "A Place In The Queue" but with different standard with the latter being the top class one! Bravo Ed Unitsky! So why bother buying this live set? But .. because the price is so good, I purchased it anyway.

The two packages containing 3 DVDs and "Popular Music" audio CD were received yesterday and the first thing I opened was the audio CD because it's easier to enjoy as it requires only ears. At first spin I was stunned and did not believe what I heard because it's in fact an excellent record - not just "good". The live set which was recorded Live at Marillion Weekend 2003, Minehead, England, Saturday 15th March 2003, starts off with an ambient "A Few Words for the Dead" continued excellently with "Dry Land" where Rothery gives nice guitar work. I remember the early days of Marillion where this kind of guitar work was the norm. What makes me stunned is the band's performance on "When I Meet God" which I think is really excellent especially the very long guitar solo by Steve Rothery. Great job, Steve! I really enjoy it. It makes an excellent live ambient.

Another surprise is when Fish era tune "White Russian" is performed. At firs I was not expecting something good having Fish-era tunes being presented here because Fish and Hogarth have different vocal timbre; so I was afraid that Hogarth would not fit Fish's job. But, considering that the rest of the band members were those who played during Fish era I only expected the music - not the vocal. But what I got was surprisingly different because I sensed great emotion from the crowd when they sung together with the band as Hogarth was singing as well. Oh, the live vibes were moving up man! I realize now that even with the current Marillion line-up, the band still has loyal fans coming out from Fish-era Marillion. That's good. This track is performed excellently!

"Estonia" is a Hogarth style music continued with three songs which are performed in a whole, seamlessly, as it appeared at studio version of "Holidays In Eden" album. The first part "This Town" is a rocker with typical guitar riffs and nice oldies guitar solo work which I really enjoy. It continues excellently with "The Rakes Progress" and "100 Nights". "Sugar Mice" which concludes Disc One, again, makes the crowd involved emotionally with the band as they sung along with the band. It's cool!!

Disc Two opens with "Berlin" with powerful Hogarth's voice and early style of guitar work by Rothery; continued with "Warm Wet Circle" from "Clutching At Straw" album. Again, Hogarth performs the song excellently with the crowd. Musically the band plays this oldies exactly the same with those live set in the eighties like "La Gazza Ladra / The Thieving Magpie". Great nostalgia with great music. And.. the crazy crowd sing again and creates a very good live nuance. I even imagine if I were there definitely I sung together with all of them and probably I run to the stage and took the microphone and sung along with Hogarth and the crowd. What a memorable experience!. I imagine myself yelling this lyrics "..with her mother kiss on her first brokenheart .. a warm wet circle" together with the crowd. As was the case with studio version this track continues seamlessly with wonderful clavinet work by Mark Kelly on the opening of "That Time of The Night" by which the lyrics were written by Fish in a hotel during Misplaced Tour, thinking about he was leaving the band - which finally he did.

Hold your thought for a second . take a deep breathe . sit back and relax .if there is a cup of coffee in front of you, take a deep sip and enjoy the smell of that coffee .And then pay attention with the next powerful track performed live (which is I think it's the best of any version of this track live set ever in terms of live vibes!) ."Script for A Jester's Tear"!!! Yup, that legendary track that took the prog music industry by surprise in the year 1983. Once Mark Kelly punched the electric piano "Dhenk!" the crowd sing along together enthusiastically "So here I am once more . In a playground of a broken heart . One more experience one more entry in a diary self penned! Yet another emotional suicide ." Oh MY GOD . the crowd is really FANTASTIC! They are SUPERB!!! They sing with their heart and trajecting the positive energy of the show. I have to admit that this is THE BEST live version of "Script For A Jester's Tear" that I have ever listened to. The live vibe is so so dynamic and energetic! If you are Marillion fan of Fish era, you would definitely enjoy this track! I am sure.

The encore comprises two great tracks: "This Strange Engine" and "The Space". I never heard "This Strange Engine" before but this version is truly wonderful. Performed in a very long duration (22 minutes) it has some lyrics of The Police "Spirits In The Material World" sung with Hogarth ambient style. It's really good. "The Space" is my favorite and this version is really good.

Overall, this is a highly recommended CD set if you are a Marillion fan - be it Fish era or Hogarth era. Overall CD is an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Don't believe with the title of "Popular Music" with the association of poppy stuffs because in this set you would get a lot of prog elements. And don't judge this CD by it's cover! I know, it's terrible one but enjoy the music man! You would love it. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#76626) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 29, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars During their previous "Anoraknophobia" tour, Mark II Marillion released a live album with NO Fish era songs. I guess that the fans'reaction was not that great and I presume that it was one the reasons to change their mind and include again some old songs to please the crowd.

In their good "Live in Caracas" (1993), no less than SEVEN songs from the Fish era were recorded and I have to say that I quite liked their rendition (I mean, they were not massacred as in "Live at the Borderline" : a foolish karaokee effort).

Unfortunately, in this live album, the same mood will prevail. Extremely poor version "Sugar Mice", "Warm Wet Circles" and "Script" while "White Russian" is just average. Hoggarth will need or ask the audience assistance to much during these songs. I just hate this.

"Estonia" is of course great (this is one of my preferred Mark II song), but I am a bit dissapointed by the version available for "This Strange Engine". This is another of their good song (at least I feel so) but I won't remind this live version very long.

The other songs of this live album won't keep you awaken. Do not listen to them while you are driving. It is VERY dangerous. You'll just get asleep while doing so.

This live set is ABSOLUTELY NOT directed to the great Fish era fans (although the track list might indicate). Don't be trapped and ignore this one (but I have no doubt about that when I see the very little reviews availbale on PA).

Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#135641) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 31, 2007

Review by Warthur
4 stars Marillion's live albums hailing from the Marillion Weekends are always something special, since the band always make each of their gigs at those evenings a unique event rather than running through the same old setlist. For one of the 2003 Weekend's gigs, the band actually took a vote amongst convention attendees, and played the winning songs on the vote for the set. The end result is an intriguing mixture of live favourites and songs which the band had very rarely played live and people were desperate to hear.

There's no songs from Afraid of Sunlight, presumably because the entire album was performed on the Friday Night Live set from the 2003 Weekend and there was no point repeating the same songs during the weekend, and interestingly there's nothing from Brave either - perhaps the attendees felt that that material was best experienced as a whole. But aside from those two, the album is an intriguing cross-section of the band's entire career.

A Few Words For the Dead is rescued from the rather middling Radiation album and really shown up for what a top-notch composition it is, there's great performances of Estonia and This Stranger Engine, and there's a bunch of Fish era material too - no less than four songs from Clutching At Straws, plus a great rendition of Script For a Jester's Tear where for half the song H essentially only sings an occasional guide vocal as the fans sing most of the lyrics for him!

What's particularly interesting is that the setlist as a whole skews towards more progressive material, and finds it in more or less every phase of the band's career. I can't help but wonder whether seeing the entire convention give a vote of confidence in their progressive side helped prompt the band's full-fledged return to unabashed progginess on Marbles. Either way, the fans came up with a great set list and Marillion do not disappoint in executing it.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#659342) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

4 stars Shame on you MARILLION detractors!!!!... This is by far one of the greatest Marillion live records in a long time. Being a Marillion fan-to-the bone i got really surprised by the strenght of the set. Actually, the entire set list was chosen from marillion's weekend participants polls, they gave w ... (read more)

Report this review (#77655) | Posted by arqwave | Tuesday, May 09, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARILLION "Popular Music"