POPULAR MUSIC

Marillion Popular Music album cover

Buy MARILLION Music
Live, released in 2005

Disc One: (57:28)
1. A Few Words For The Dead (9:40)
2. Dry Land (4:58)
3. When I Meet God (10:14)
4. White Russian (6:17)
5. Estonia (7:51)
6. This Town (3:48)
7. The Rakes Progress (2:43)
8. 100 Nights (5:14)
9. Sugar Mice (6:40)

Disc Two (58:21)
1. Berlin (8:40)
2. Warm Wet Circles (4:18)
3. That Time Of The Night (5:58)
4. Script For A Jester's Tear (9:59)
5. This Strange Engine (22:13)
6. The Space (7:13)

Search MARILLION Popular Music lyrics

Search MARILLION Popular Music tabs

- Steve Hogarth / vocals
- Mark Kelly / keyboards
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

Racket Records, Catalogue # Racket 25. It's a companion CD of the first disc of "Wish You Were Here" DVD.

Thanks to gatot for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MARILLION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MARILLION Popular Music Music

EMI Europe Generic 1999
BraveBrave
Import · Remastered · Special Edition
Caroline 1998
Marillion - Somewhere Else UK CD (2007 Intact Records) NEW US $5.09 Buy It Now 1h 3m
* MARILLION academy, manchester, england 18 Nov.1999 FRONT ROW CLUB FRC-002 2CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
* MARILLION luxor, arnhem, netherlands 23 Jun.1995 FRONT ROW CLUB FRC-003 CD US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 19m
* MARILLION sala bikini, barcelona spain 12 Dec. 2000 FRONT ROW CLUB FRC-012 2CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
* MARILLION forum, london, england 28 Apr. 1996 FRONT ROW CLUB FRC-009 2CD US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
MARILLION - 12" SINGLE - LAVENDER - RARE AUSSIE US $37.68 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Rare Marillion EMI 7" Singles Set of 3 Picture Sleeve 1982-1984 Great Collection US $25.31 Buy It Now 2h 22m
FISH - FISHHEADS CLUB TOUR - Glasgow aug.2010 concert/gig poster (MARILLION) US $10.17 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Marillion-Incommunicado/Going Under UK 7" EX Cond US $6.77 Buy It Now 3h 54m
MARILLION SEASON'S END GATEFOLD Vinyl LP SEALED US $37.26 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Marillion-Heart Of Lothian/Chelsea Monday (Live) UK 7" EX Cond US $10.17 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Marillion-Punch And Judy UK 3 Track 7" EX Cond US $10.17 Buy It Now 4h 28m
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood 12" LP vinyl new and sealed US $32.23 Buy It Now 5h
Marillion - Lavender blue UK 12" US $10.17 Buy It Now 5h 4m
MARILLION 7" VINYL 7" VINYL P/S WARM WET CIRCLES MARIL 8 EX US $6.64 Buy It Now 5h 34m
MARILLION Real To Reel UK LP picture disc EMI JESTP1 1984 US $28.84 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Marillion - Fugazi (2001) - Used - Compact Disc US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 52m
B-Sides Themselves by Marillion (CD, Jan-1992, Emi) US $9.99 [0 bids]
Fish Credo 3 tracks Uk 12" Marillion US $13.99 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Fish Something In The Air 3 tracks Uk 12" Marillion US $13.99 Buy It Now 6h 11m
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK/ - BRAVE [ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK/MARILLION] [CD - NEW CD BOXSET US $23.43 Buy It Now 6h 59m
Steve Hogarth Marillion former band EUROPEANS Recognition PROMO 12" single MINT US $6.56 [0 bids]
Marillion - Brave (NEW CD) US $19.08 Buy It Now 7h 28m
FISH / MARILLION: GREATEST HITS CD'S - YIN & YANG; EXCELLENT CONDITION US $5.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION Kayleigh 1985 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single,EXCELLENT CONDITION US $13.56 Buy It Now 8h 44m
MARILLION garden party 12" 3 track full version b/w charting the single and marg US $9.96 Buy It Now 9h
Marillion-1986 magazine article US $8.47 Buy It Now 9h 24m
MARILLION, NO ONE CAN-3 track 12" Picture Disc-EMI 12MARILPD 17-EX US $8.47 Buy It Now 9h 44m
MARILLION Clutching At Straws 11 Track Cassette US $11.03 Buy It Now 9h 53m
MARILLION The Thieving Magpie 16 Track Cassette US $11.03 Buy It Now 9h 53m
MARILLION-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $5.07 Buy It Now 10h 21m
FISH / INTERNAL EXILE / CASSETTE TAPE / MARILLION / POLYDOR (1992) US $15.26 Buy It Now 10h 25m
Clutching at Straws by Marillion (CD, Jun-1987, Capitol) US $16.95 Buy It Now 10h 31m
MARILLION - Hooks In You - Excellent Conition 7" Single US $6.77 Buy It Now 10h 34m
MARILLION - Incommunicado - Excellent Condition 12" Single EMI 12MARIL 6 US $11.85 Buy It Now 10h 34m
MARILLION...SUGAR MICE......VERY GOOD 1987 EMI RECORDS PROG.ROCK 7"..MARIL 7 US $5.07 Buy It Now 10h 43m
Marillion live Birmingham 11th of July 1990 very small mini poster print A5 size US $25.44 Buy It Now 11h 3m
FISH FORTUNES OF WAR BRAND NEW CD +2 FREE SUNSETS & MIRROR EX MARILLION FRONTMAN US $28.95 [0 bids]
MARILLION LIVE FROM CADOGAN HALL SEALED 2 CD SET 2011 US $6.62 Buy It Now 11h 26m
Marillion live Wembley London 12 July 1990 very small mini poster print A5 size US $25.44 Buy It Now 11h 34m
MARILLION cover my eyes CD 3 track b/w how can it hurt and party (2043482) uk em US $8.47 Buy It Now 11h 37m
Marillion - Best.Live [CD New] US $15.09 Buy It Now 11h 45m
MARILLION SUGAR MICE THREE TRACK VINYL 12" SINGLE * EX / EX ITEM LAST ONE NOW * US $11.80 Buy It Now 11h 51m
MARILLION : Lavender Blue : 1985 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single US $15.26 Buy It Now 11h 58m
Marillion - At High Voltage 2010 NEW 2 x CD US $21.88 Buy It Now 12h 9m
MARILLION A Sunday Night Above The Rain 2x CD 2014 NEW & SEALED US $29.62 Buy It Now 12h 20m
MARILLION A Sunday Night Above The Rain 2x DVD 2014 NEW & SEALED US $30.47 Buy It Now 12h 23m
Marillion Market Square Heroes 7" Single - VVG US $0.85 [0 bids]
MARILLION 'Market Square Heroes' 1982 UK 7"/45 rpm vinyl single US $6.77 [0 bids]
V.A./THE OUTPATIENTS CD (1994/AUSTRIA)DICK BROS DDICK1CD[UK] Fish Marillion PROG US $1.98 [2 bids]
CD Album: Marillion : Friends : Live Marillion Weekend Zelande Netherlands 2007 US $33.50 [1 bids]
CD Album: The Wishing Tree : Ostara : Sealed Marillion US $16.02 [0 bids]
CD Album: Fish : Sunsets On Empire Marillion US $16.87 [0 bids]
Marillion - Afraid Of Sunlight NEW 2 x CD US $15.36 Buy It Now 13h 10m
MARILLION-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $5.07 Buy It Now 13h 12m
Best Of Both Worlds by Marillion (CD, Sep-2005, Phantom Import Distribution) US $3.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION-SYMPATHY/KAYLEIGH UK rock 45+PS US $7.98 Buy It Now 13h 31m
Marillion SOMETHING ELSE - PROMO DVD 2007 US $29.99 Buy It Now 13h 44m
MARILLION - Real To Reel - 1984 UK 6-track vinyl LP (with sleeve) US $25.44 Buy It Now 13h 46m
Marillion Kayleigh (PS) 12" Vinyl Single US $10.18 Buy It Now 13h 47m
MARILLION - Incommunicado - 1987 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single US $15.26 Buy It Now 13h 52m
MARILLION - Assassing - 1984 UK 2-track 12" vinyl single US $33.93 Buy It Now 13h 57m
MARILLION - Warm Wet Circles - 1987 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single US $16.96 Buy It Now 14h 2m
Fish ex- Marillion a collection of 17 CD singles ***read shipping details*** US $199.99 Buy It Now 14h 8m
MARILLION - Hooks In You - 1989 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single US $16.96 Buy It Now 14h 10m
MARILLION - Script For A Jester's Tear - 1983 UK 6-track Vinyl LP US $16.96 Buy It Now 14h 17m
MARILLION**SOMEWHERE IN LONDON (DELUXE)**2 CD+DVD SET US $21.50 Buy It Now 14h 20m
MARILLION**SOMEWHERE ELSE (DELUXE EDITION/BOOKLET/DIGIPAK)**CD US $15.21 Buy It Now 14h 20m
MARILLION**MARBLES (DELUXE EDITION/HARD-COVER DIGIPAK)**2 CD SET US $15.21 Buy It Now 14h 21m
MARILLION - Sugar Mice - 1987 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single US $13.56 Buy It Now 14h 21m
MARILLION - Cover My Eyes [Pain And Heaven] 1991 UK limited edition 3-track 12" US $33.93 Buy It Now 14h 26m
MARILLION - Punch And Judy - 1984 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single US $16.96 Buy It Now 14h 30m
MARILLION - FREAKS/KAYLEIGH/CHILDHOODS END/WHITE FEATHER 88 CDS: FISH NR MINT US $5.07 [0 bids]
MARILLION - Freaks - 1988 UK 4-track Live vinyl 12" single US $16.96 Buy It Now 14h 35m
MARILLION**ANORAKNOPHOBIA (DELUXE EDITION)**CD US $15.21 Buy It Now 14h 42m
MARILLION**THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS**2 CD SET US $19.95 Buy It Now 14h 44m
MARILLION**EARLY STAGES: HIGHLIGHTS (OFFICIAL BOOTLEG COLLECTION 1982-88)**2 CD US $16.95 Buy It Now 14h 47m
Marillion, 7 Inch Picture Disk, Kayleign, Progressive Rock, NM Condition US $13.00 [0 bids]
7 Inch Marillion Picture Disk, Easter, Progressive Rock, NM Condition US $13.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION**SOUNDS THAT CAN'T BE MADE**CD US $10.14 Buy It Now 14h 56m
MARILLION**MARILLION.COM (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $40.92 Buy It Now 15h 14m
MARILLION**ANORAKNOPHOBIA (GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $40.92 Buy It Now 15h 34m
MARILLION**RADIATION 2013**2 CD SET US $15.21 Buy It Now 15h 37m
Marillion - Tales From The Engine Room [CD New] US $10.60 Buy It Now 15h 38m
MARILLION - MISPLACED CHILDHOOD LP VG+ US $10.00 Buy It Now 15h 49m
Marillion - Marbles [CD New] US $11.10 Buy It Now 16h
MARILLION LP SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR emi / emc 3429 US $11.88 Buy It Now 16h 14m
MARILLION**BEST.LIVE (180 GRAM)**4 VINYL BOX SET US $65.03 Buy It Now 16h 16m
MARILLION**THE SINGLES 1982-88**3CD US $31.06 Buy It Now 16h 24m
Marillion - Assassing - 7" Single 1982 EMI Maril 2 US $10.18 Buy It Now 16h 34m
Marillion - Sugar Mice/Tux On - UK 7" Picture Disc Single with Full Color Poster US $6.99 [0 bids]
Fish (ex-Marillion)- A Gentleman's Excuse Me - UK 7" Single Pressed on Red Vinyl US $4.99 [0 bids]
Marillion - Easter/The Release - UK Version 7" Picture Disc Single US $6.99 [0 bids]
* MARILLION ** BRAVE * ORIGINAL 1994 UK EDITION VINYL 2LP * SHIPS FREE * US $99.99 [0 bids]
Live from Cadogan Hall by Marillion (CD, Mar-2011, 2 Discs, EAR Music) US $10.63 Buy It Now 18h 55m
Marillion Kayleigh 7" Capitol B-5493 US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 7m
Marillion - The Thieving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra) 2x12" US $13.58 Buy It Now 19h 33m
Marillion FRC 001 Live DiebuRg Rare CD Brave Tour Fish Rush Yes Dream Theater US $99.99 [0 bids]
MARILLION THE THIEVING MAGPIE (LA GAZZA LADRA) JAPAN 2 CD OBI 5000yen CP25 1ST US $159.99 Buy It Now 21h 43m
Script for a Jester's Tear [Remaster] by Marillion (CD, uk 1997, 2 Discs IMPORT US $4.99 [1 bids]

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MARILLION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MARILLION Popular Music ratings distribution

MARILLION Popular Music reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars What an EXCELLENT Live set!

When last month www.marillion.com offered a March Sales Madness, I purchased "Popular Music" as bonus CD with very good deal of discount on my purchase of Marillion's "Wish You Were Here" DVD (4 disc). Actually I was not interested to have the CD because of two response: First I read some a review about this CD on the net and found only "good" rating ; Second, I was not interested at all with the cover artwork - it's not prog at all. I got confused with the "focus" of the camera shot: is it the trees or the tents that became the focus? The cover also reminds me, pictorially, to the cover artwork of The Tangent "A Place In The Queue" but with different standard with the latter being the top class one! Bravo Ed Unitsky! So why bother buying this live set? But .. because the price is so good, I purchased it anyway.

The two packages containing 3 DVDs and "Popular Music" audio CD were received yesterday and the first thing I opened was the audio CD because it's easier to enjoy as it requires only ears. At first spin I was stunned and did not believe what I heard because it's in fact an excellent record - not just "good". The live set which was recorded Live at Marillion Weekend 2003, Minehead, England, Saturday 15th March 2003, starts off with an ambient "A Few Words for the Dead" continued excellently with "Dry Land" where Rothery gives nice guitar work. I remember the early days of Marillion where this kind of guitar work was the norm. What makes me stunned is the band's performance on "When I Meet God" which I think is really excellent especially the very long guitar solo by Steve Rothery. Great job, Steve! I really enjoy it. It makes an excellent live ambient.

Another surprise is when Fish era tune "White Russian" is performed. At firs I was not expecting something good having Fish-era tunes being presented here because Fish and Hogarth have different vocal timbre; so I was afraid that Hogarth would not fit Fish's job. But, considering that the rest of the band members were those who played during Fish era I only expected the music - not the vocal. But what I got was surprisingly different because I sensed great emotion from the crowd when they sung together with the band as Hogarth was singing as well. Oh, the live vibes were moving up man! I realize now that even with the current Marillion line-up, the band still has loyal fans coming out from Fish-era Marillion. That's good. This track is performed excellently!

"Estonia" is a Hogarth style music continued with three songs which are performed in a whole, seamlessly, as it appeared at studio version of "Holidays In Eden" album. The first part "This Town" is a rocker with typical guitar riffs and nice oldies guitar solo work which I really enjoy. It continues excellently with "The Rakes Progress" and "100 Nights". "Sugar Mice" which concludes Disc One, again, makes the crowd involved emotionally with the band as they sung along with the band. It's cool!!

Disc Two opens with "Berlin" with powerful Hogarth's voice and early style of guitar work by Rothery; continued with "Warm Wet Circle" from "Clutching At Straw" album. Again, Hogarth performs the song excellently with the crowd. Musically the band plays this oldies exactly the same with those live set in the eighties like "La Gazza Ladra / The Thieving Magpie". Great nostalgia with great music. And.. the crazy crowd sing again and creates a very good live nuance. I even imagine if I were there definitely I sung together with all of them and probably I run to the stage and took the microphone and sung along with Hogarth and the crowd. What a memorable experience!. I imagine myself yelling this lyrics "..with her mother kiss on her first brokenheart .. a warm wet circle" together with the crowd. As was the case with studio version this track continues seamlessly with wonderful clavinet work by Mark Kelly on the opening of "That Time of The Night" by which the lyrics were written by Fish in a hotel during Misplaced Tour, thinking about he was leaving the band - which finally he did.

Hold your thought for a second . take a deep breathe . sit back and relax .if there is a cup of coffee in front of you, take a deep sip and enjoy the smell of that coffee .And then pay attention with the next powerful track performed live (which is I think it's the best of any version of this track live set ever in terms of live vibes!) ."Script for A Jester's Tear"!!! Yup, that legendary track that took the prog music industry by surprise in the year 1983. Once Mark Kelly punched the electric piano "Dhenk!" the crowd sing along together enthusiastically "So here I am once more . In a playground of a broken heart . One more experience one more entry in a diary self penned! Yet another emotional suicide ." Oh MY GOD . the crowd is really FANTASTIC! They are SUPERB!!! They sing with their heart and trajecting the positive energy of the show. I have to admit that this is THE BEST live version of "Script For A Jester's Tear" that I have ever listened to. The live vibe is so so dynamic and energetic! If you are Marillion fan of Fish era, you would definitely enjoy this track! I am sure.

The encore comprises two great tracks: "This Strange Engine" and "The Space". I never heard "This Strange Engine" before but this version is truly wonderful. Performed in a very long duration (22 minutes) it has some lyrics of The Police "Spirits In The Material World" sung with Hogarth ambient style. It's really good. "The Space" is my favorite and this version is really good.

Overall, this is a highly recommended CD set if you are a Marillion fan - be it Fish era or Hogarth era. Overall CD is an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Don't believe with the title of "Popular Music" with the association of poppy stuffs because in this set you would get a lot of prog elements. And don't judge this CD by it's cover! I know, it's terrible one but enjoy the music man! You would love it. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#76626) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 29, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars During their previous "Anoraknophobia" tour, Mark II Marillion released a live album with NO Fish era songs. I guess that the fans'reaction was not that great and I presume that it was one the reasons to change their mind and include again some old songs to please the crowd.

In their good "Live in Caracas" (1993), no less than SEVEN songs from the Fish era were recorded and I have to say that I quite liked their rendition (I mean, they were not massacred as in "Live at the Borderline" : a foolish karaokee effort).

Unfortunately, in this live album, the same mood will prevail. Extremely poor version "Sugar Mice", "Warm Wet Circles" and "Script" while "White Russian" is just average. Hoggarth will need or ask the audience assistance to much during these songs. I just hate this.

"Estonia" is of course great (this is one of my preferred Mark II song), but I am a bit dissapointed by the version available for "This Strange Engine". This is another of their good song (at least I feel so) but I won't remind this live version very long.

The other songs of this live album won't keep you awaken. Do not listen to them while you are driving. It is VERY dangerous. You'll just get asleep while doing so.

This live set is ABSOLUTELY NOT directed to the great Fish era fans (although the track list might indicate). Don't be trapped and ignore this one (but I have no doubt about that when I see the very little reviews availbale on PA).

Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#135641) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 31, 2007

Review by Warthur
4 stars Marillion's live albums hailing from the Marillion Weekends are always something special, since the band always make each of their gigs at those evenings a unique event rather than running through the same old setlist. For one of the 2003 Weekend's gigs, the band actually took a vote amongst convention attendees, and played the winning songs on the vote for the set. The end result is an intriguing mixture of live favourites and songs which the band had very rarely played live and people were desperate to hear.

There's no songs from Afraid of Sunlight, presumably because the entire album was performed on the Friday Night Live set from the 2003 Weekend and there was no point repeating the same songs during the weekend, and interestingly there's nothing from Brave either - perhaps the attendees felt that that material was best experienced as a whole. But aside from those two, the album is an intriguing cross-section of the band's entire career.

A Few Words For the Dead is rescued from the rather middling Radiation album and really shown up for what a top-notch composition it is, there's great performances of Estonia and This Stranger Engine, and there's a bunch of Fish era material too - no less than four songs from Clutching At Straws, plus a great rendition of Script For a Jester's Tear where for half the song H essentially only sings an occasional guide vocal as the fans sing most of the lyrics for him!

What's particularly interesting is that the setlist as a whole skews towards more progressive material, and finds it in more or less every phase of the band's career. I can't help but wonder whether seeing the entire convention give a vote of confidence in their progressive side helped prompt the band's full-fledged return to unabashed progginess on Marbles. Either way, the fans came up with a great set list and Marillion do not disappoint in executing it.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#659342) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

4 stars Shame on you MARILLION detractors!!!!... This is by far one of the greatest Marillion live records in a long time. Being a Marillion fan-to-the bone i got really surprised by the strenght of the set. Actually, the entire set list was chosen from marillion's weekend participants polls, they gave w ... (read more)

Report this review (#77655) | Posted by arqwave | Tuesday, May 09, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARILLION "Popular Music"