POPULAR MUSIC

Marillion Popular Music album cover

Buy MARILLION Music
Live, released in 2005

Disc One: (57:28)
1. A Few Words For The Dead (9:40)
2. Dry Land (4:58)
3. When I Meet God (10:14)
4. White Russian (6:17)
5. Estonia (7:51)
6. This Town (3:48)
7. The Rakes Progress (2:43)
8. 100 Nights (5:14)
9. Sugar Mice (6:40)

Disc Two (58:21)
1. Berlin (8:40)
2. Warm Wet Circles (4:18)
3. That Time Of The Night (5:58)
4. Script For A Jester's Tear (9:59)
5. This Strange Engine (22:13)
6. The Space (7:13)

Search MARILLION Popular Music lyrics

Search MARILLION Popular Music tabs

- Steve Hogarth / vocals
- Mark Kelly / keyboards
- Ian Mosley / drums
- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

Racket Records, Catalogue # Racket 25. It's a companion CD of the first disc of "Wish You Were Here" DVD.

Thanks to gatot for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

MARILLION MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MARILLION Popular Music Music

Somewhere ElseSomewhere Else
Mvd Visual 2007
Misplaced ChildhoodMisplaced Childhood
EMI Europe Generic 2007
MARILLION Misplaced Childhood US Vinyl LP Capitol w/Inner ! Free Shipping ! US $33.95 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Marillion Incommunicado 7" US $5.24 Buy It Now 3h 44m
MARILLION - LAVENDER - FREAKS 7" SINGLE P/S US $1.61 [0 bids]
FISH For Whom the Bells Toll [2-CD] *NEW Orig UK 1993 Marillion Progressive Rock US $49.95 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Marillion - BSides Themselves CD (Early Pressing from West Germany) US $5.28 Buy It Now 5h
MARILLION - REAL TO REEL - 12 in vinyl LP US $6.45 [0 bids]
Marillion This Strange Engine Digipak 8 Track CD 1997 Hogarth Prog Rock VGC US $14.53 Buy It Now 6h
MARILLION-REAL TO REEL + BRIEF ENCOUNTER-2 CD SET-ALL TRACKS ARE LIVE-EU-1997 US $13.20 Buy It Now 6h 11m
MARILLION - SOUNDS THAT CAN'T BE MADE (826992035222) - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.93 Buy It Now 6h 13m
MARILLION Script For A Jester's Tear UK original LP picture disc EMI 1983 US $161.31 Buy It Now 7h 5m
MARILLION - Grendel 12" Picture Disc (Record Store Day 2013 Limited Edition) US $24.18 [1 bids]
MARILLION HIGH VOLTAGE FESTIVAL VICTORIA PARK LONDON RECORDED LIVE 2010 New 2 CD US $13.84 Buy It Now 7h 26m
MARILLION -" ADVERT " - HALF PAGE MAGAZINE CLIPPING- ORIGINAL US $2.40 Buy It Now 7h 38m
Brave by Marillion US $8.31 Buy It Now 7h 54m
Marillion - Six of One, Half-Dozen of the Other (1992) FISH/ HOGARTH US $4.76 Buy It Now 8h 14m
Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made (CD 2012) US $12.46 Buy It Now 8h 18m
Marillion - Essential Collection (1996) CD US $6.44 Buy It Now 9h 11m
1989 MARILLION - Hooks In You - 12" Album Disc VINYL LP Record w/ Poster US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 16m
MARILLION You're Gone RARE 2004 3-Track UK CD Single MINT Intact CDINTACT1 US $6.11 Buy It Now 9h 34m
Brave by Marillion (CD, Feb-1994, I.R.S. Records (U.S.)), RARE PROMO EDITION US $2.99 [2 bids]
Marillion / Fugazi JAPAN Burrn 26 NEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #F US $99.99 Buy It Now 10h 3m
Marillion Seasons End Holland USA Cassette Tape US $2.49 Buy It Now 10h 18m
MARILLION FUGAZI LP UK 1st A-1U ARUN Neo Prog Progressive Black Inner STUNNING! US $4.82 [0 bids]
marillion - beautiful holland cd single US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 34m
Marillion Web magazine June 2013. US $1.21 [0 bids]
Marillion the Web magazine March 2014. US $1.21 [0 bids]
Marillion Web magazine October 2013. US $1.21 [0 bids]
Marillion "Clutching At Straws" 1987 PROMO Craft Vinyl 12" Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
11h
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood '86 tour programme with card still attached US $32.25 Buy It Now 12h 4m
Marillion - Royal Gala Concert Nov 5th 1987 tour programme with ticket stub US $32.25 Buy It Now 12h 4m
Marillion - Anoraknophobia [CD New] US $13.98 Buy It Now 12h 24m
FISH(MARILLION)-Lot of 2 vintage adverts US $4.82 Buy It Now 12h 41m
MARILLION uninvited guest 7" PS EX/VG tos US $11.28 Buy It Now 12h 44m
MARILLION no one can 7" WS EX/ noc uk emi US $11.28 Buy It Now 12h 44m
Marillion - Kayleigh 12 inch vinyl picture disc single US $24.20 Buy It Now 12h 50m
FISH OF MARILLION state of mind 12EM 109 uk emi 1989 12" PS EX/VG+ US $14.50 Buy It Now 13h 9m
MARILLION cover my eyes 12 MARILP 13 with poster uk emi 1991 12" PS EX/EX US $14.50 Buy It Now 13h 14m
Marillion Clutching At Straws Progressive Must Have 1987 Edition Fish Lyrics H2F US $9.99 [0 bids]
Marillion - Easter 12" SINGLE Limited Ed Gatefold Pack MINT- 1990 NUMBER - 3398 US $7.26 [0 bids]
FISH - Lady Let It Lie - Scarce Mint 1994 Cd Single - Marillion US $9.66 [0 bids]
Marillion-1987 magazine article US $8.05 Buy It Now 14h
Tiles Debut SEALED 1995 CD Marillion Twelfth Night Jadis Pallas Yes Pink Floyd US $15.95 Buy It Now 14h 38m
Mostly Autumn ?- The Last Bright Light SEALED Original 2001 Cyclops CD Marillion US $28.95 Buy It Now 14h 38m
MARILLION Sympathy 1992 HOLLAND CD single 2 live tracks US $13.60 Buy It Now 14h 44m
marillion happiness is the road volume 1 & 2 2x cd in hard shell limited case US $63.74 Buy It Now 15h 15m
Marillion Live At Walsall Junction Limited Edition USED CD US $60.00 Buy It Now 15h 19m
Marillion: Live From Cadogan Hall [DVD] [2011] US $13.58 Buy It Now 15h 53m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - MARILLION - INCOMMUNICADO - MARIL 6 US $11.28 Buy It Now 15h 53m
MARILLION Uninvited Guest 12" Vinyl Single EMI 12MARIL11 1989 US $16.12 Buy It Now 16h 7m
ALBION - Albion - Polish neo-prog-rock Marillion Quidam Abraxas 1st press GoldCD US $25.00 [0 bids]
Marillion - Best Sounds [CD New] US $17.99 Buy It Now 16h 14m
Marillion : B Sides Themselves CD (2003) US $3.21 Buy It Now 16h 17m
MARILLION USA DJ 7" 45 LAVENDER from 1985, Capitol 5539, hard rock US $8.10 Buy It Now 16h 27m
Marillion - Live From Cadogan Hall NEW CD US $10.55 Buy It Now 16h 34m
Fish from Marillion - Big Wedge 12" PICTURE DISC Vinyl Record US $16.12 Buy It Now 16h 38m
ABBA//MARILLION/JETHRO TULL LP COVERS ideal for framing US $11.28 Buy It Now 17h 33m
MARILLION-HOOKS IN YOU 3 TRACKS M- UK rock 12" US $7.98 Buy It Now 18h 6m
GREYLEVEL Hypostatic Union NEW CD PROG Porcupine Tree Astra Pink Floyd Marillion US $10.99 [0 bids]
MARILLION - ANORAKNOPHOBIA (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $18.18 Buy It Now 19h 6m
Marillion - Easter / Sympathy / Uninvited Guest / No One Can +. Lot of 7 singles US $49.00 [0 bids]
MARILLION - MARBLES NEW VINYL US $84.27 Buy It Now 19h 43m
Marillion 'Recital of the Script' Great 80's Video US $2.42 [0 bids]
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood Promo LP US $7.99 [0 bids]
Anoraknophobia by Marillion *New CD* US $11.02 Buy It Now 20h 55m
MARILLION "Kayleigh"/"Heart Of Lothian" - 7" Single 1985 1st US w/PS - NM RARE! US $19.88 Buy It Now 21h 16m
MARILLION - "Sugar Mice"/"Tux On" - 7" Single 1987 1st US w/PS - NM - RARE! US $19.88 Buy It Now 21h 16m
cd-album, Marillion - Essential Collection US $7.01 Buy It Now 21h 16m
The Best of Marillion by Marillion (CD, Jul-2003, Emi) US $109.99 Buy It Now 21h 46m
Marillion - Somewhere Else UK CD (2007 Intact Records) NEW US $5.99 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION - 12" SINGLE - LAVENDER - RARE AUSSIE US $35.22 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion : MARILLION / MARBLES LIVE CD (2005) US $18.52 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion-Incommunicado/Going Under UK 7" EX Cond US $6.44 Buy It Now 1 day
6 TAPES! MARILLION - Misplaced Childhoods Fugazi, B'sides, Script for a jester.. US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion-Heart Of Lothian/Chelsea Monday (Live) UK 7" EX Cond US $9.66 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion-Punch And Judy UK 3 Track 7" EX Cond US $9.66 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood 12" LP vinyl new and sealed US $30.64 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Lavender blue UK 12" US $9.66 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION - MISPLACED CHILDHOOD LP - UK: MRL2 / EMI EJ 2403401 US $22.02 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION 7" VINYL 7" VINYL P/S WARM WET CIRCLES MARIL 8 EX US $6.86 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION Real To Reel UK LP picture disc EMI JESTP1 1984 US $27.41 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION, NO ONE CAN-3 track 12" Picture Disc-EMI 12MARILPD 17-EX US $4.82 Buy It Now 1 day
Fish Credo 3 tracks Uk 12" Marillion US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Fish Something In The Air 3 tracks Uk 12" Marillion US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion This Strange Engine (Vinyl, May-2013) Madfish Records Steve Hogarth US $28.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion : This Strange Engine CD (1997) US $12.57 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion - Brave (NEW CD) US $20.55 Buy It Now 1 day
FISH of MARILLION UK 1990 CD Single A GENTLEMAN'S EXCUSE ME MINT US $9.66 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION Kayleigh 1985 UK 3-track 12" vinyl single,EXCELLENT CONDITION US $12.89 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION - REAL TO REEL - VINYL/LP/12" - LIVE ALBUM - EMI JEST 1 US $8.05 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION No one can. RARE UK P/S. US $1.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Marillion-1986 magazine article US $8.05 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION Rare UK 2001 CD Single BETWEEN YOU AND ME Map Of The World DiscMINT US $29.02 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION Rare UK 2008 PROMO CD Single Whatever Is Wrong With You DiscNEW US $7.24 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION UK 1992 7" Single NO ONE CAN MARIL17 DiscNEW US $5.63 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION UK 1991 7" Single NO ONE CAN MARIL14 DiscNEW US $5.63 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION UK 1985 7" Single KAYLEIGH US $5.63 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION UK 1992 7" Single SYMPATHY DiscNEW US $4.82 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION GERMAN 1985 7" Single KAYLEIGH US $5.63 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION UK 1985 7" Single LAVENDER DiscNEW US $5.63 Buy It Now 1 day
MARILLION UK 1989 7" Single HOOKS IN YOU DiscNEW US $4.82 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MARILLION DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MARILLION Popular Music ratings distribution

MARILLION Popular Music reviews

Review by Gatot
4 stars What an EXCELLENT Live set!

When last month www.marillion.com offered a March Sales Madness, I purchased "Popular Music" as bonus CD with very good deal of discount on my purchase of Marillion's "Wish You Were Here" DVD (4 disc). Actually I was not interested to have the CD because of two response: First I read some a review about this CD on the net and found only "good" rating ; Second, I was not interested at all with the cover artwork - it's not prog at all. I got confused with the "focus" of the camera shot: is it the trees or the tents that became the focus? The cover also reminds me, pictorially, to the cover artwork of The Tangent "A Place In The Queue" but with different standard with the latter being the top class one! Bravo Ed Unitsky! So why bother buying this live set? But .. because the price is so good, I purchased it anyway.

The two packages containing 3 DVDs and "Popular Music" audio CD were received yesterday and the first thing I opened was the audio CD because it's easier to enjoy as it requires only ears. At first spin I was stunned and did not believe what I heard because it's in fact an excellent record - not just "good". The live set which was recorded Live at Marillion Weekend 2003, Minehead, England, Saturday 15th March 2003, starts off with an ambient "A Few Words for the Dead" continued excellently with "Dry Land" where Rothery gives nice guitar work. I remember the early days of Marillion where this kind of guitar work was the norm. What makes me stunned is the band's performance on "When I Meet God" which I think is really excellent especially the very long guitar solo by Steve Rothery. Great job, Steve! I really enjoy it. It makes an excellent live ambient.

Another surprise is when Fish era tune "White Russian" is performed. At firs I was not expecting something good having Fish-era tunes being presented here because Fish and Hogarth have different vocal timbre; so I was afraid that Hogarth would not fit Fish's job. But, considering that the rest of the band members were those who played during Fish era I only expected the music - not the vocal. But what I got was surprisingly different because I sensed great emotion from the crowd when they sung together with the band as Hogarth was singing as well. Oh, the live vibes were moving up man! I realize now that even with the current Marillion line-up, the band still has loyal fans coming out from Fish-era Marillion. That's good. This track is performed excellently!

"Estonia" is a Hogarth style music continued with three songs which are performed in a whole, seamlessly, as it appeared at studio version of "Holidays In Eden" album. The first part "This Town" is a rocker with typical guitar riffs and nice oldies guitar solo work which I really enjoy. It continues excellently with "The Rakes Progress" and "100 Nights". "Sugar Mice" which concludes Disc One, again, makes the crowd involved emotionally with the band as they sung along with the band. It's cool!!

Disc Two opens with "Berlin" with powerful Hogarth's voice and early style of guitar work by Rothery; continued with "Warm Wet Circle" from "Clutching At Straw" album. Again, Hogarth performs the song excellently with the crowd. Musically the band plays this oldies exactly the same with those live set in the eighties like "La Gazza Ladra / The Thieving Magpie". Great nostalgia with great music. And.. the crazy crowd sing again and creates a very good live nuance. I even imagine if I were there definitely I sung together with all of them and probably I run to the stage and took the microphone and sung along with Hogarth and the crowd. What a memorable experience!. I imagine myself yelling this lyrics "..with her mother kiss on her first brokenheart .. a warm wet circle" together with the crowd. As was the case with studio version this track continues seamlessly with wonderful clavinet work by Mark Kelly on the opening of "That Time of The Night" by which the lyrics were written by Fish in a hotel during Misplaced Tour, thinking about he was leaving the band - which finally he did.

Hold your thought for a second . take a deep breathe . sit back and relax .if there is a cup of coffee in front of you, take a deep sip and enjoy the smell of that coffee .And then pay attention with the next powerful track performed live (which is I think it's the best of any version of this track live set ever in terms of live vibes!) ."Script for A Jester's Tear"!!! Yup, that legendary track that took the prog music industry by surprise in the year 1983. Once Mark Kelly punched the electric piano "Dhenk!" the crowd sing along together enthusiastically "So here I am once more . In a playground of a broken heart . One more experience one more entry in a diary self penned! Yet another emotional suicide ." Oh MY GOD . the crowd is really FANTASTIC! They are SUPERB!!! They sing with their heart and trajecting the positive energy of the show. I have to admit that this is THE BEST live version of "Script For A Jester's Tear" that I have ever listened to. The live vibe is so so dynamic and energetic! If you are Marillion fan of Fish era, you would definitely enjoy this track! I am sure.

The encore comprises two great tracks: "This Strange Engine" and "The Space". I never heard "This Strange Engine" before but this version is truly wonderful. Performed in a very long duration (22 minutes) it has some lyrics of The Police "Spirits In The Material World" sung with Hogarth ambient style. It's really good. "The Space" is my favorite and this version is really good.

Overall, this is a highly recommended CD set if you are a Marillion fan - be it Fish era or Hogarth era. Overall CD is an excellent addition to any prog music collection. Don't believe with the title of "Popular Music" with the association of poppy stuffs because in this set you would get a lot of prog elements. And don't judge this CD by it's cover! I know, it's terrible one but enjoy the music man! You would love it. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#76626) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 29, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars During their previous "Anoraknophobia" tour, Mark II Marillion released a live album with NO Fish era songs. I guess that the fans'reaction was not that great and I presume that it was one the reasons to change their mind and include again some old songs to please the crowd.

In their good "Live in Caracas" (1993), no less than SEVEN songs from the Fish era were recorded and I have to say that I quite liked their rendition (I mean, they were not massacred as in "Live at the Borderline" : a foolish karaokee effort).

Unfortunately, in this live album, the same mood will prevail. Extremely poor version "Sugar Mice", "Warm Wet Circles" and "Script" while "White Russian" is just average. Hoggarth will need or ask the audience assistance to much during these songs. I just hate this.

"Estonia" is of course great (this is one of my preferred Mark II song), but I am a bit dissapointed by the version available for "This Strange Engine". This is another of their good song (at least I feel so) but I won't remind this live version very long.

The other songs of this live album won't keep you awaken. Do not listen to them while you are driving. It is VERY dangerous. You'll just get asleep while doing so.

This live set is ABSOLUTELY NOT directed to the great Fish era fans (although the track list might indicate). Don't be trapped and ignore this one (but I have no doubt about that when I see the very little reviews availbale on PA).

Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#135641) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 31, 2007

Review by Warthur
4 stars Marillion's live albums hailing from the Marillion Weekends are always something special, since the band always make each of their gigs at those evenings a unique event rather than running through the same old setlist. For one of the 2003 Weekend's gigs, the band actually took a vote amongst convention attendees, and played the winning songs on the vote for the set. The end result is an intriguing mixture of live favourites and songs which the band had very rarely played live and people were desperate to hear.

There's no songs from Afraid of Sunlight, presumably because the entire album was performed on the Friday Night Live set from the 2003 Weekend and there was no point repeating the same songs during the weekend, and interestingly there's nothing from Brave either - perhaps the attendees felt that that material was best experienced as a whole. But aside from those two, the album is an intriguing cross-section of the band's entire career.

A Few Words For the Dead is rescued from the rather middling Radiation album and really shown up for what a top-notch composition it is, there's great performances of Estonia and This Stranger Engine, and there's a bunch of Fish era material too - no less than four songs from Clutching At Straws, plus a great rendition of Script For a Jester's Tear where for half the song H essentially only sings an occasional guide vocal as the fans sing most of the lyrics for him!

What's particularly interesting is that the setlist as a whole skews towards more progressive material, and finds it in more or less every phase of the band's career. I can't help but wonder whether seeing the entire convention give a vote of confidence in their progressive side helped prompt the band's full-fledged return to unabashed progginess on Marbles. Either way, the fans came up with a great set list and Marillion do not disappoint in executing it.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#659342) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 14, 2012

4 stars Shame on you MARILLION detractors!!!!... This is by far one of the greatest Marillion live records in a long time. Being a Marillion fan-to-the bone i got really surprised by the strenght of the set. Actually, the entire set list was chosen from marillion's weekend participants polls, they gave w ... (read more)

Report this review (#77655) | Posted by arqwave | Tuesday, May 09, 2006 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARILLION "Popular Music"