10CC

Buy 10CC Music
Studio Album, released in 1973

1. Rubber Bullets (5:16)
2. Donna (2:55)
3. Johnny, Don't Do It (3:39)
4. Sand in My Face (3:38)
5. Speed Kills (3:50)
6. The Dean and I (3:04)
7. Ships Don't Disappear in the Night (3:05)
8. The Hospital Song (2:43)
9. Fresh Air for My Mama (3:05)
10. Headline Hustler (3:31)

LP Total Time 34:28

CD BONUS TRACKS:
11. Hot Sun Rock (3:01)
12. 4% of Something (4:01)
13. Rubber Bullets (4:08)
14. Waterfall (3:43)
15. Bee in My Bonnet (2:01)

CD Total Time 51:45

Search 10CC 10cc lyrics

Search 10CC 10cc tabs

- Lol Creme / guitar (acoustic), guitar, percussion, piano, guitar (electric), keyboards, piano (electric), vocals, moog synthesizer, mellotron
- Kevin Godley / percussion, drums, vocals
- Graham Gouldman / guitar (acoustic), bass, dobro, guitar, guitar (bass), guitar (electric), tambourine, vocals
- Eric Stewart / guitar, guitar (electric), keyboards, vocals, moog synthesizer, slide guitar

LP UK 53105 (1973)
CD Repertoire 104844 (2000)

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition

10CC MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy 10CC 10cc Music

Bloody TouristsBloody Tourists
Universal I.S. 2002
Deceptive BendsDeceptive Bends
Universal I.S. 1997
King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents in ConcertKing Biscuit Flower Hour Presents in Concert
King Biscuit Flower 1996
Complete UK Recordings 1972-1974Complete UK Recordings 1972-1974
Remastered
Varese Fontana 2004
10cc LARGE VINTAGE METAL PIN BADGE FROM THE 1970's US $11.73 Buy It Now 1h 22m
GODLEY & CREME Birds Of Prey +5 JAPAN mini lp SHM CD 10CC SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
GODLEY & CREME freeze frame +4 JAPAN mini lp SHM CD 10CC SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Boots Rock Collection Vol 5 Spandau Ballet T.Rex 10CC + Cassette Tape - TESTED US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 36m
10 CC-NOTHING CAN MOVE ME-DREADLOCK HOLIDAY US $5.50 Buy It Now 3h 20m
Hotlegs (10 CC) ''Neanderthal Man'' 1970 Pop Rock Excellent 7" Single US $1.66 [0 bids]
10 CC - ART FOR ARTS SAKE - PORTUGAL 45 FREE SHIPPING US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 50m
10cc - Bloody Tourist - record album vinyl rare vintage music US $3.00 Buy It Now 4h 12m
10cc - The Best Of The Early Years (CD 2002) US $10.07 Buy It Now 4h 37m
10CC ERIC STEWART GRAHAM original 10x8 inch promo press photo photograph 006-1 US $16.76 Buy It Now 4h 50m
10cc Deceptive Bends 2008 Japan Mini LP SHM CD L/E New Obi UICY-93816 OOP HTF US $99.80 Buy It Now 5h 19m
Elite Any Port in a Storm +1 Japan CD w/obi Piet Brinton 10cc EV.006 US $39.99 Buy It Now 6h 59m
10 CC Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Toto 2 LP Lot US $13.99 Buy It Now 7h 33m
Hotlegs Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP w OBI 10cc Graham Gouldman Godley Creme US $119.99 Buy It Now 7h 42m
10CC - Deceptive Bends (1997 Version) (NEW CD) US $11.31 Buy It Now 8h
10Cc - Bloody Tourists (1997 Version) (NEW CD) US $11.31 Buy It Now 8h
Mason + Fenn(Pink Floyd & 10CC)-magazine advert US $8.37 Buy It Now 8h 6m
10 CC TWO ALBUMS US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 14m
CD/DVD AUDIO-10CC-From the Front Row Live 80's pop psych ~rock US $8.99 [0 bids]
10CC GOOD MORNING JUDGE 1977 RARE EXYUGO 7" PS US $12.29 Buy It Now 8h 45m
10CC THINGS WE DO FOR LIFE 1977 UNIQUE LABEL EXYU 7" PS US $12.29 Buy It Now 8h 45m
2 MANY DJ'S : AS HEARD ON RADIO SOULWAX PT. 2 ELP PEACHES STOOGES 10CC CRAMPS US $14.75 Buy It Now 8h 55m
10 CC 100 CC 1975 U.K.Records 33rpm LP UKS-53110 US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 12m
10cc ?- Sheet Music US $5.99 Buy It Now 9h 15m
10cc How Dare You CD+Bonus Track NEW 1997 I'm Mandy Fly Me/Art For Art's Sake+ US $8.37 Buy It Now 10h 5m
10CC HOW DARE YOU MERCURY STEREO 1976 US $3.99 Buy It Now 10h 29m
10CC Mercury 45 Record #73875 NM 1976 The Things We Do For Love / Hot To Trot US $5.00 Buy It Now 11h
10 cc - bloody tourists gatefold LP with inner sleeve US $15.08 Buy It Now 11h 7m
10cc- RUBBER BULLETS VINYL 7" 45RPM p US $1.66 Buy It Now 11h 9m
10CC - S/T - 1973 Vinyl LP w/ Lyric insert / HTF US $16.99 Buy It Now 11h 10m
10cc Ten 10 CC Hebrew Text Israel Made Heb Language Vinyl Bloody Tourists 1978 US $58.80 Buy It Now 11h 21m
10CC 100 CC MUSIC UK 1975 US $3.99 Buy It Now 11h 27m
10CC Sheet Music (UK Records UK Original LP 1974) EX+ US $16.76 Buy It Now 11h 54m
10cc -7"Single - People In Love/ I'm So Laid Back I'm Laid Out, EX+ US $11.73 Buy It Now 12h 6m
10cc Smash Hit Songwords Disco 45 No 75 1977 EX Magazine David Soul US $8.39 Buy It Now 12h 37m
10CC Group Tin Badge Ex 5.5 cms Vintage 1970s US $16.78 Buy It Now 12h 38m
10CC : Donna (UK) 1972 US $3.34 Buy It Now 12h 41m
10 CC.1978 Vinyl 45 Vintage Reggae Record Dreadlock Holiday Nothing Can Move Me US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 23m
10CC THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE / HOT TO TROT 1 CENT 45 RECORD US $0.01 [0 bids]
Rock 45 10CC The Things We Do For Love on Mercury US $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 27m
Rock 45 10CC Good Morning Judge on Mercury US $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 27m
Rock 45 10CC Channel Swimmer on Mercury US $5.00 Buy It Now 14h 27m
10cc - Greatest Hits 1972-1978 CD W Germany US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 7m
10cc - LIFE IS A MINESTRONE / CHANNEL SWIMMER (MERCURY 6008 010) UK 1975 SINGLE US $5.02 Buy It Now 15h 26m
Hotlegs Godley Creme 10cc 1976 Phillips UK Import SON 009 US $6.99 [0 bids]
10 CC C.C. Japan 1974 NM LP 10 C.C. US $24.99 Buy It Now 15h 38m
10cc - How Dare You! (CD New) US $10.05 Buy It Now 16h 38m
10cc-Bloody Tourists-Lp Vinyl Record-Polydor-PD-1-6161 US $6.23 [0 bids]
10CC HOW DARE YOU LP GATEFOLD MERCURY WITH INNER SLEEVE VG+ ART FOR ARTS SAKE US $7.88 [0 bids]
10CC THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK MERCURY STEREO 1975 US $3.99 Buy It Now 17h 38m
10cc: Deceptive Bends, Cassette US $3.99 Buy It Now 18h 8m
10 CC "ALIVE" ((2)) CD / JAPAN / JADE MUSIC/ 1993 US $5.99 [0 bids]
45 - 10CC - Good Morning Judge b/w I'm So Laid Back I'm Laid Out w/ strip NM US $2.99 [0 bids]
45 RECORD 10 CC DREADLOCK HOLIDAY, NOTHING CAN MOVE ME PD 14511 US $4.10 Buy It Now 19h 54m
10CC vinyl lp BLOODY TOURISTS US $3.99 Buy It Now 19h 57m
RAMASES/10cc "SPACE HYMNS" SUPERB RARE UK LP/12" ORIGINAL FOLD OUT POSTER SLEEVE US $399.00 [0 bids]
10CC S/T LP UK PROG PSYCH POP GODLEY CREME US $14.00 Buy It Now 21h 33m
10CC -Deceptive Bends Lp Aust Mercury 6310502 US $7.43 Buy It Now 21h 56m
10CC - THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - W GERMANY CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 23h 14m
Drivin' - music for Holiday Drivers - Japan CD Sheryl Crow Jackson 5 10cc Derek US $8.99 Buy It Now 23h 52m
King Biscuit Flower Hour (In Concert) 10cc CD US $5.75 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC, LIVE AND LET LIVE, 2LPs 1977 UK EX/NM/EX+, GATEFOLD LAMINATED/SL US $10.05 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc-GOOD MORNING JUDGE-RARE ORIGINAL YUGOSLAV PS 45rpm 1977-RTB S 53998 US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc (Ten cc) Vinyl LP-Greatest Hits, 11 tracks, EX+ (1975) US $13.41 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC donna 7" b/w hot sun rock (84093) writing and promo sticker on pic sleeve f US $32.45 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC reds in my bed 7" b/w take these chains (6008036) pic sleeve dutch mercury US $12.97 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC - LOOK HEAR? [UK BONUS TRACKS] - NEW CD US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc ROCK ALIVE - The Classic Hits Tour CD. PHILIPPINES Rare DIFFERENT COVER US $24.75 [0 bids]
10CC - THE VERY BEST OF 10CC [IMPORT] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $9.49 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc : King Biscuit Flower Hour (In Concert) CD 1996, factory sealed US $0.99 [0 bids]
10cc - Bloody Tourists LP US $5.03 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc 'I'M NOT IN LOVE : THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION' (Best Of) 2 CD SET (2012) US $11.66 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc ~'Original Soundtrack+G.Hits'~UK 2xLP~G/Fold US $8.37 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC-Look Hear? Rare Japan LP w/OBI US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC-Greatest Hit's of 10cc Japan LP w/OBI US $29.99 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC-Meanwhile Rare Japan CD w/OBI US $27.99 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC / HOW DARE YOU! / CASSETTE TAPE / 1ST PRESS / MERCURY US $13.41 Buy It Now 1 day
CD GOLD DISC LP ALBUM BY 10CC LIVE FREE P+P! US $147.63 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc [UK 12" LP Album] Look Hear? US $11.73 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc [UK 12" LP Album] In Concert US $10.05 Buy It Now 1 day
10 CC, The Things We Do For Love, Mercury 73875, VG+ US $4.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Japan SS MINI-LP SHM-CD Godley & Creme-Ismism +3 LTD OOP 10cc UICY-94542 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BTO-TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS-LISTEN/ 10CC US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC " REDS IN MY BED " MERCURY 7" SINGLE 1978 EXCELLENT US $3.34 Buy It Now 1 day
V/A music for 5am ep 7" PS EX/EX 10cc hollies johnny bristol US $11.73 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc Deceptive Bends Rare Paper Label Cassette Tape US $19.95 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC the wall street shuffle \ gismo my way uk uk records uk 69 noc 7" WS EX/ US $11.73 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC look hear LP PS EX/EX mercury 9102 505 no poster US $15.08 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC DECEPTIVE BENDS RECORD ALBUM VINTAGE 1977 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC the original soundtrack 9102 500 uk mercury LP PS EX/EX gatefold sleeve US $15.08 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC how dare you 9102 501 uk mercury 1975 LP PS EX/EX with inner sleeve US $15.08 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC sheet music PRICE 8 uk mercury 1982 reissue LP PS EX/EX US $15.08 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC bloody tourists 9102 503 uk mercury LP PS EX/EX gatefold sleeve US $15.08 Buy It Now 1 day
10 Cc - Food For Thought (NEW CD) US $16.34 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc - In Concert [CD New] US $8.11 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc The Things We Do For Love 7" 45 Mercury 73875 1976 Vinyl US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
10 Cc - Meanwhile (NEW CD) US $16.34 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc The Original Soundtrack 1975 Mercury Release Excellent Surfaces US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC - KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR PRESENTS IN CONCERT NEW CD US $16.89 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC / LIFE IS A MINESTRONE / 1975 7" EX US $5.02 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy 10CC music online Buy 10CC & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for 10CC DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

10CC 10cc ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(4%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(51%)

10CC 10cc reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
4 stars [N.B. My ratings for 10CC are based on their subgenre, NOT re prog as a whole.]

10CC has much in common with its contemporaries, Supertramp and Queen. All three were formed by musicians who attended British art schools (hence the term "art rock"). All three are comprised of particularly excellent musicians. All three consistently use full instrumentation, including piano, plus the occasional sax, flute or percussion. All three create exceptionally creative and intricate 4-part harmonies and lush arrangements, and have an incredible mastery of the recording studio. And all three are highly "intelligent" bands, drawing on both well-known and obscure references from musical history, world history, literature, psychology, pop culture, etc., combining them with a satiric, sometimes sardonic, sense of humor. It is thus a pleasure to see 10CC join their two closest brethren on PA.

Obviously, 10CC is not a "prog" band as we generally define that term vis-ā-vis such groups as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Marillion, IQ, Dream Theater, Spock's Beard et al. There is little that might be called "symphonic" in their work, few odd (much less shifting) time signatures, only a handful of extended solos, etc. Rather, they create what has been called "progressive pop," remaining largely within the standard verse- chorus formula and "basic" instrumentation, but "fritching" it just enough - often in truly interesting, effective, even superbly creative ways - that it can no longer be viewed simply as "pop" or "rock." And with 10CC, whatever style they are writing in, whatever subject they are writing about, they miss nothing: every detail (musical, lyrical, vocal) is perfect, not a note is out of place, nothing is missing, and there is no filler.

Special note must be made of 10CC's lyrics. These guys are about as literate a group as you are going to find in rock - in any genre. Their mastery of language, and its "appropriateness," is extraordinary, and the literary and other references, and the puns and double entendres, often fly at such incredible speed that they go right over your head - until a few minutes later you find yourself laughing hysterically.

Finally, despite the fact that this is not particularly "intricate" music, 10CC's albums are definitely best listened to with headphones to get the full effect of their arrangements and production.

The PA description of the band tells you all you need to know about the illustrious history of its members. However, it omits one - extraordinary - fact. Not only does Eric Stewart (perhaps the most underrated and under-appreciated guitarist in all of rock music) play guitar, piano, synth and sing, and compose and arrange - he also serves as engineer, and mixed and mastered all of 10CC's albums. Oh, and did I mention that he built Strawberry Studios with his bare hands - including the 48-in, 24-out mixing console - before he was 24 years old?! We are talking raving genius here. And he was only one of four.

So, what of 10CC's debut album? Given their "niche" in progressive pop, it was smashing. As an important aside, it is absolutely CRIMINAL that the order of the songs was changed for the CD re-issue (which was done simply to put the four "hits" up front). In this regard, I STRONGLY urge you to program the disc to play in the original order, as follows:

Johnny Don't Do It. With their tongues planted firmly in their cheeks, 10CC begins their career with an homage to the 50s and early 60s, which starts in brilliant form with this quasi-doo wop anthem a la Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. Opening with a cheesy Farfisa organ effect, it launches into a classic 50s I-VI-II-V progression (including hokey violins), a stereotypical 50s-style "good girl/bad boy" story, and includes a short rhythm guitar break using a spine-tingling effect that harks back to The Beatles' "Revolution." Simply one of the best opening songs on any debut album.

Sand in My Face. With a nod to The Beach Boys, 10CC take the famous Charles Atlas ads and create a hysterical scenario involving the weakling at the beach. With Gouldman on dobro, and Godley and Crčme doing some of their wickedest parody, this is early 10CC at its very best. "Dynamic tension" indeed!

Donna. Another nod to Frankie Valli, this is the only song on the album that does not stand the test of time, even for 10CC.

The Dean and I. Here is the first indication of where 10CC was eventually headed. Opening with a quasi-prog vocal figure, the simple, funny, upbeat story is told over a subtly moving non-standard chord progression, and includes 10CC's first use of chromatics ("round and round and round.") - something they would become particularly fond of and use to good effect throughout their career. Best pun: "Church bells, three swells - the Dean, his daughter and me."

Headline Hustler. Opening with a neat drum and guitar figure, this send-up of the sensationalist press features Stewart on Harrison-style slide guitar, and a radical (for its subgenre) bass figure from Gouldman in the choruses. Although deceptively simple, this is definitely not "your mother's rock and roll."

Speed Kills. The first "experimental" track by the group. Opening with another odd drum and guitar figure, this bizarre blues builds steadily, and features excellent four- part harmonies, a credible high-pitched guitar solo from Stewart, and some neat harmony rhythm guitar from Stewart and Creme.

Rubber Bullets. Perhaps 10CC's best-known song (after I'm Not in Love and The Things We Do for Love), this straightforward homage to the early 60s features a "jailhouse rock" story with some great harmonies, neat effects and simple but tasteful guitar work from Stewart. Simply a joy to listen to just for fun. Best line: "We've all got balls and brains, but some's got balls and chains."

The Hospital Song. Huh? Excuse me? What is this? Strangely enough, it is a Zappa- esque composition with a "Flo and Eddie"-style vocal, a strange chord progression, and truly weird effects. It might not be "prog," but it sure aint "rock."

Ships Don't Disappear in the Night (Do They?). Another deceptively simple, quasi- experimental quasi-prog song. (Interestingly, despite their more "standard" songwriting backgrounds, it is Stewart and Gouldman who contribute the three most experimental songs on this album.) And remember: "You better be nice to Vincent Price."

Fresh Air for My Momma. An absolutely gorgeous ballad from Godley and Creme (which shows the direction they would be going), with one of Godley's most beautiful vocals over a constantly-changing chord progression. The song also has some excellent Stewart fills, and lifts a short passage from one of the songs on the Hotlegs album. A beautifully fitting close to a brilliant debut album.

[N.B. As for the bonus tracks, they all appear on a compilation album called 100cc, which has one of the band's best pre-10CC songs, called "18 Carat Man of Means." Of the five here, "Waterfall" is the best.]

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#85811) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, August 04, 2006

Review by chessman
4 stars I agree wholeheartedly with maani's comments on this album. It's nice to see them on PA at last. I was a big fan in the early '70s, and had their first five albums, although the live one that followed actually put me off a little. This is a group best heard in a studio setting. They used state of the art production on all their albums, and, as has been mentioned before, they are often best heard through headphones - there is much going on at times. Funnily enough, a friend of mine bought me the remaster last Xmas, and, whilst it has the same bonus tracks as those listed above, the track listing on my copy is back in the original and correct running order. All the songs are wonderful: 'Johnny Don't Do It' has those brilliant harmonies and high pitched lead vocal from Lol Creme, who tended to be the main singer overall on the first couple of albums. 'Sand In My Face' is indeed a skit on those Charles Atlas adverts we used to find in magazines. 'Donna', for me, has stood the test of time, and still sounds great today. Similar to 'Johnny' in style and vocal, I bought the single and played it to death. 'The Dean And I' has, again, wonderful vocals, backing vocals, and tremendously funny lyrics. As already mentioned, all the lyrics on the album are superbly witty and funny. 'Headline Hustler' is an Eric Stewart led song, and is actually my least favourite. It is good, but not quite as good as the others, for me. A bit repetitive in the chorus, maybe. 'Speed Kills' is fast and flighty and predominantly instrumental. Very good, with the gizmo impersonating violins convincingly. 'Rubber Bullets' is a song my mother always liked. Very funny, with typical lead guitar from Eric Stewart. They had a happy knack, in those days, to have Lol Creme sing the verse, then to let Keving Godley supply some deep vocals in the quiet parts. Works wonderfully here. 'The Hospital Song', is also very clever, led again by Creme, with the others supplying nice choir like backing at the end. 'Ships Don't Disappear (Do They?)' is very clever, with lots of vocal parts and and a great melody. Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Vincent Price all get honourable mentions here! 'Fresh Air For My Mama' is the sort of song they frequently suprised people with. A more sombre, more serious song than the rest, with fantastic vocals from Godley, a beautiful, quiet melody and lyrics to make you think. It also has a 'grand finale' at the end. The bonus tracks are all good, and I already owned all of them. 'Waterfall' is indeed the best here, and could have been an A side. Nice acoustic guitar intro, strong melody, and great chorus. 'Hot Sun Rock' is a nice instrumental, with an almost North American Indian meets rock feel to it. 'Rubber Bullets' is merely the single version, and not the same as my original single version either! '4% Of Something' is a standard rocker, and quite average for this band, as indeed is the last track, 'Bee In My Bonnet' sung by Gouldman. Nevertheless, there are no weak songs here. Very art rock, and very worth having, though some of the intricately sarcastic lyrics may be lost on people outside England. Four stars, easily.

Send comments to chessman (BETA) | Report this review (#85855) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 05, 2006

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars First album of a group that actually had recorded together on the two albums of British eccentric Ramases (who pretended to be a Pharaoh), and if the music on this debut album does not sound like Ramases' albums, believe me that this foursome learned a few tricks on the songwriting from him, as will be evident throughout their career. Now most progheads will wonder what 10 CC is doing in our beloved Archives? Well for starters these guys developed an impressive inventive pop with many catchy hooks, clever melodies (Beatles anyone?), a strong sense of humour and bizarre (Zappa and to a lesser extent Beefheart) and huge taste for pastiche or parody (Queen and again Zappa), so you should dig the inclusion a bit more by now.

Of course 10 CC will never be prog, neither do we have the pretension to make you believe, either. But this band's oeuvre as bizarre and strange it might be at first listen, definitely deserves to be listened to closer especially from the proghead's point of view. Not that the song's arrangements are particularly intricate, or that their individual virtuosity is tearing the roof of your ceiling, but their crafty rockish-pop (in the line of Roxy music and as opposed to Queen's pop-rock) is always extremely well-made. The pastiche element is one that is almost equal to Zappa's (I'm sure Frank would've considered 10 CC very worthy of his in some ways), and the vocal harmonies remind of Queen early albums also, although clearly none of the 10 CC members have Mercury's vocals. Except for the irritating Donna pastiche (one of their two hits) and its doo-wop Johnny, this debut album is a rather even record with a fairly restraint (comparatively to their next releases) palette. Fresh Air, Speed Kills, Dean And I are maybe the highlights on this album, but not that much for a proghead to sing his teeth into in this debut.

As a matter of fact, the most bothersome thing about this record is its pretentious artwork suggesting anarchy (the bomb and tag-paint) and there is not the slightest hint of it. The most one can look at is clever pop, the way Peter Gabriel, Queen, Roxy Music or even Supertramp (in their poppier moments) might just develop. Nothing worth investigating unless the proghead loves their "meatier" records. Pleasant pop anyway!

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#86123) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This true 10CC debut album already provides some indication of their later work. While listening to the burlesque and sophisticated "Rubber Bullets". Almost "Beach Boys" at times. The irresistible and even grotesque at times "Donna" has this oldies mood of the fifties with an incredible melody (but those guys know how to write melodic songs).

"Johnny Don't Do It" is almost a carbon copy. Same sort of hilarious vocals. Absolutely decadent and depraved. It is also true to say that when you are listening to this album, it is quite outdated but those vocal harmonies are so well done, those arrangements so perfect. You really need to concentrate carefully to discover all the richness of some songs which SEEM easy listening.

Once you have done this exercise, you will notice that this album offers not only timeless melodies but some more complex work than it appears at the first sight. You won't find anything prog here, only different music. Maybe therefore that the band was included in PA (and actually totally ignored when you see the ridiculous amount of reviews even for an album as "The Original Soundtrack"). But that's another 10CC story.

This is a good pop album sounding more like coming out of the sixties. Superb vocal harmonies ("A Fresh Air For My Momma") and a funny trip back then. Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#151107) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 16, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars The debut album from 10CC is a very enjoyable album to me. I never really listened to 10CC but of course I have heard some of the hits in the radio. After purchasing some of their albums I have learned that there is more to this band than meets the ear on first listen. This is their debut though and the more complex structures and progressive ideas that would emerge on later albums werenīt as present here.

The music is in fact very inspired by fifties Doo Woop and Rīnīb. Itīs done with a gleam in the eye though much like Zappa did when he played this style. Itīs clear to hear though that 10CC really like the style though and songs like Johnny, Donīt Do It, Donna and especially my favorite the more uptempo The Dean and I are great examples of this style. There are more to 10CC than that though and even though every song is very catchy and potentionally commercial there is always a twist to the songs that keep them exciting. This is typical for 10CC. They make commercial songs that if you scratch the surface are very complex and even progressive to some extent.

The musicianship is excellent throughout the album and especially the vocals impress me.

The production is otherworldly. This is just such an excellent production and as other reviewers has mentioned 10ccīs music is best heard through headphones. Whatīs even more impressive is that the production is done by Eric Stewart and not some fancy famous producer. This is the exception from the rule that musicians shouldnīt produce their own music.

This is a really good debut album, but 10CC will be even better on later albums and Iīll wait with the big star ratings for those. I think this deserves 3 stars for being a good complex pop album. This is something you just gotta hear for yourself to decide if this is something for you. I think it is very recommendable though.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#163904) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 14, 2008

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This album was a fairly good debut for what became a wonderful crossover prog band (yes, I said crossover prog). Although many of the tracks are humorous novelty songs (Donna and Johnny Don't Do It, parodies of fifties ballads, Sand In My Face and The Hospital Song, strange character songs), there is quite a bit to enjoy here.

Rubber Bullets, on the surface a retro pop tune, also introduces 10CC's ironic style, having Kevin Godley sing "Blood will flow..." in his angelic style. And The Dean & I has some great lyrical twists as well.

But the best track is Fresh Air For My Mama, although borrowing a bit from the group's previous incarnation, Hotlegs, is an inspired piece of progressive pop.

3.5 stars, rounded up.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#509125) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 25, 2011

2 stars I have always observed this band from far afar. I almost bought their Bloody Tourist cassette when I was 10 years old because it was advertised. My mother did not like the proto-black metal artwork so I was denied that joy. I got a cassette with Chicago instead. Over to the real debut album by ... (read more)

Report this review (#451232) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, May 23, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of 10CC "10cc"