DECEPTIVE BENDS

10cc Deceptive Bends album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy 10CC Music
Studio Album, released in 1977

1. Good Morning Judge (2:56)
2. The Things We Do for Love (3:29)
3. Marriage Bureau Rendezvous (4:05)
4. People in Love (3:48)
5. Modern Man Blues (5:32)
6. Honeymoon With B Troop (2:49)
7. I Bought a Flat Guitar Tutor (1:47)
8. You've Got a Cold (3:37)
9. Feel the Benefit, Pt. 1-3 (11:31)
i) Reminisce and speculate
ii) "A" Latin break
iii) Feel the benefit

CD BONUS TRACKS:
10. Hot to Trot (4:29)
11. Don't Squeeze Me Like Toothpaste (3:37)
12. I'm So Laid Back I'm Laid Out (3:48)

Search 10CC Deceptive Bends lyrics

Search 10CC Deceptive Bends tabs

- Graham Gouldman / organ, bass, dobro, guitar, autoharp, guitar, tambourine, triangle, vocals, handclapping, producer, harmony vocals, fuzz bass
- Eric Stewart / organ, guitar, piano, guitar (electric), keyboards, maraccas, piano (electric), vocals, moog synthesizer, whistle, producer, engineer, slide guitar
With:
- Terry Bozzio / drums
- Paul Burgess / percussion, piano, conga, drums, gong, tambourine, triangle, bells, claves, handclapping, vibraphone, cabassa, wood block, bell tree
- Del Newman / strings, arranger, conductor
- Jean Roussel / organ, keyboards, piano (electric)
- Tony Spath / piano, oboe

LP Mercury 3702 (1977)
CD Mercury and Polygram International

Thanks to PROGMAN for the addition
and to easy livin for the last updates

10CC MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy 10CC Deceptive Bends Music

10cc - ART FOR ARTS SAKE (UK 7" INCH SINGLE) US $3.26 Buy It Now 32m 34s
10cc-Look Hear-Are You Normal sealed US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
10cc - Deceptive Bends (1997 Version) (NEW CD) US $11.05 Buy It Now 1h 9m
10CC CASSETTE Live And Let Live - USA 1977 US $4.95 Buy It Now 1h 13m
10CC - DECEPTIVE BENDS 1977 VINYL LP; GOOD MORNING JUDGE, THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE. US $12.28 Buy It Now 1h 53m
10CC - "THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK" - JAPAN SHM-SACD - DSD 2010 - Brand New US $57.99 [0 bids]
10cc - 10cc (180g Red Vinyl Gatefold LP) NEW/SEALED US $22.42 Buy It Now 2h 26m
10CC - I'm Not In Love - The 1995 Acoustic Session - CD Single RARE US $3.26 [0 bids]
10 CC, Deceptive Bends, UK Mercury, gatefold sleeve US $4.90 [0 bids]
1980 - 10CC - Look Hear - Press Advertisment - Poster Size US $14.73 Buy It Now 4h 19m
10CC DARE YOU JAPAN BOX SET 9 REPLICA TO ORIGINAL LP IN RARE SHM OBI CD Sealed US $764.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
10CC-WALL STREET SHUFFLE-BEST OF 1973-74-MS055 NEW SEALED CD US $9.98 Buy It Now 4h 54m
10cc Alive by 10cc NEW SEALED CD) US $7.98 Buy It Now 4h 54m
10cc - Sweet Music Japan White Label Promo TEST PRESSING Mega Rare ! US $82.50 Buy It Now 4h 55m
10cc NEW SEALED 180g VINYL LP The Original Soundtrack +MP3*FREE 1ST Godley Creme US $29.47 Buy It Now 5h 31m
New: 10CC - Live CD US $3.98 Buy It Now 5h 31m
10cc, I'M MANDY FLY ME-UK Mercury 7" 1976-VG++ US $3.26 Buy It Now 5h 49m
10cc Sheet Music LP 1974 AUKS 53107 US $13.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
10cc Live in Japan dvd dd 5.1 4:3 collector's item all region 0 region US $9.00 [0 bids]
Genuine Rock Classics various 3 track 3inch CD budweiser Blondie 10CC (bud358) US $4.92 [0 bids]
10CC - The Original Soundtrack - Excellent Condition LP Record Mercury 9102 500 US $14.73 Buy It Now 6h 2m
10CC I'M NOT IN LOVE 45 1975 US $0.82 [0 bids]
Kevin Godley & Lol Creme Goodbye Blue Sky JAPAN mini lp CD 10CC US $28.99 Buy It Now 6h 22m
10cc, GOOD MORNING JUDGE-UK Mercury 7" 1977-VG++ US $2.61 Buy It Now 6h 35m
Rock 45 10CC Channel Swimmer on Mercury 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 46m
10CC live and let live 2 LP Mint- SRM 2-8600 Vinyl 1977 USA Mercury Stereo US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h 7m
10CC DECEPTIVE BENDS GATEFOLD 1977 VINYL LP + INNER SLEEVE*EXCELLENT THROUGHOUT US $14.67 Buy It Now 7h 14m
10CC -THE VERY BEST OF 10CC-JAPAN CD Ltd/Ed B43 US $14.50 Buy It Now 7h 33m
10CC I'm Mandy Fly Me 7" Single Vinyl Record 45rpm Mercury 1976 US $9.82 Buy It Now 7h 34m
10CC Art For Arts Sake 7" Single Vinyl Record 45rpm Mercury 1975 US $9.82 Buy It Now 7h 34m
10cc - The Original Soundtrack US $7.00 [0 bids]
10cc "Bloody Tourists" US $7.99 Buy It Now 8h
10cc "Look Hear?" US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h
10cc How Dare You!" US $10.99 Buy It Now 8h
10cc "The Original Soundtrack 12" L.P. US $0.82 [0 bids]
10 CC - DON'T TURN ME AWAY / TOMORROW'S WORLD TODAY - RARE ! JAPAN 45' PS US $3.26 [0 bids]
10cc - BLOODY TOURISTS RARE PRICELESS CASSETTE US $3.26 Buy It Now 8h 16m
10cc Sheet Music Orig 1974 Vinyl LP w/Lyric Insert, UK Pressing, Promo Copy VG++ US $8.00 [0 bids]
GODLEY AND CREME Snack Attack 1981 LP Promo USA PRESSING 10cc US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 54m
10cc For You and I Polydor PRO 062 1978 Promo 12" PRESSING US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 56m
10cc 100cc greatest hits of 10cc US $16.37 Buy It Now 9h 26m
10CC "BLOODY TOURISTS" LP 1978 US SEALED with GATEFOLD PD-1-6161 US $8.00 [0 bids]
10cc-1974 poster size press advert US $16.37 Buy It Now 9h 34m
10cc - i'm not in love - 7" vinyl single - looks unplayed - 1970s US $11.46 Buy It Now 9h 41m
WAX shadows of love JAPAN 7" it RPS-226 10cc US $11.69 Buy It Now 11h
10cc VINYL LP SHEET MUSIC CHARITY LISTING FOR ABBIES FUND US $1.64 [1 bids]
10cc - 10cc(first Album) and Look Hear? - Two Albums on one CD US $5.00 [0 bids]
10cc: LIVE IN CONCERT[KING BISCUIT] Wall Street Shuffle,Rubber Bullets++ [NEW] US $7.99 Buy It Now 12h 4m
CD/DVD AUDIO-10CC-From the Front Row Live 80's pop psych ~rock US $8.99 [0 bids]
7" JAPAN ONLY RELEASE ERIC STEWART OF 10 CC GIRLS US $19.99 Buy It Now 12h 51m
10CC LOT OF 4 RECORDS US $9.99 [0 bids]
10cc The Original Soundtrack EXCELLENT SOLID ORIGINAL 1975 MERCURY GF LP US $7.96 [0 bids]
10cc How Dare You! EXCEPTIONAL ORIGINAL 1976 MERCURY MASTERDISK G/F LP US $5.96 [0 bids]
10cc - Tenology CD/DVD Box Set US $149.99 Buy It Now 14h 46m
10CC AND GODLEY & CREME Changing Faces VAL-3870 LD AC0871 US $14.99 [0 bids]
ROCK THE PLANET RARE OZ DOUBLE CASSETTE TAPE! STATUS QUO QUEEN THIN LIZZY 10CC US $29.87 Buy It Now 15h 58m
10cc Hits CD, 14 Tracks, The Wall Street Shuffle US $0.61 [2 bids]
10CC?7"?THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE?japan?EX?!! US $9.99 Buy It Now 18h 3m
45 Rpm 7" Vinyl Record - 10cc - FEEL THE LOVE - Rare Rock Single '83 Uk Press US $4.18 Buy It Now 18h 49m
10 cc "Sheet Music" original 1984 vinyl LP on London Records (US release) US $4.00 [0 bids]
10 cc - THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE 7" SLEEVE ONLY - PORTUGAL - NO RECORD -K @@ L US $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 37m
10 cc - WALL STREET SHUFFLE - GERMAN 7" SLEEVE ONLY - N O RECORD -- K @@ L US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 37m
16Cassettes Box-James Gang,Lou Reed,Doobie Brothers,Jim Croce,10cc,Grateful Dead US $42.99 [0 bids]
10CC Deceptive Bends SRM-1-3702 US $9.97 Buy It Now 20h 36m
10CC-The Things We Do For Love/Hot to Trot-Mercury 73875 VG 45 US $1.99 [0 bids]
NEIL SEDAKA - Tra La Days Are Over - RARE Universal Archive Series CD UK 10cc US $69.99 Buy It Now 20h 59m
10cc -Greatest Hits US $4.92 [0 bids]
23h
10cc-people in love.7" US $6.56 Buy It Now 23h 12m
10CC - Dreadlock Holiday / NOTHING CAN MOVE ME 6008 035 7" VINYL RECORD EX 31 US $16.37 Buy It Now 23h 37m
10cc good morning judge 6008025 7" VINYL RECORD EX 31 US $3.75 Buy It Now 23h 38m
10CC LIFE IS A MINESTRONE 6008 010 CHANNEL SWIMMER 7" VINYL RECORD EX 31 US $4.08 Buy It Now 23h 39m
10cc 'TEN OUT OF 10' (+ Bonus Tracks) CD (2014) US $9.82 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc 'WINDOWS IN THE JUNGLE' (+ Bonus Tracks) CD (2014) US $9.82 Buy It Now 1 day
TEN CC 10CC - LOOK HEAR - IRELAND PRESSING VINYL LP US $14.75 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc Deceptive Bends_used VINYL LP_ships from AUS! US $17.96 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc_Bloody Tourists_used VINYL LP_ships from AUS! US $17.96 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc Good Morning Judge/Don't Squeeze Me Like Toothpaste UK 7" 1970s US $4.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Champagne and Roses Roxy Music Peter Skellern 10cc Stylistics Billy Paul + LP US $5.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Power And Passion NEW 2 CD ft ABBA, 10cc, Elvis, Dolly UK FREEPOST 40 Love Songs US $4.61 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc : Greatest Hits... and More (2CDs) (2007) US $9.80 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC - Sunday 19th June 1977, Hammersmith Odeon, London. Original Concert Ticket US $4.90 [0 bids]
TIMELIFE, DREAMS AND MEMORIES, 2 CD SET. STARSHIP,FOREIGNER,10cc,MEATLOAF,EAGLES US $3.26 [0 bids]
10CC - RUN AWAY - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD PIC SLV 1982 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC - LIFE IS A MINESTRONE - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1975 US $7.09 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC LP The Original Soundtrack US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
CD - The Very Best Of 10CC US $1.00 [0 bids]
TANGO-SPARKLING HITS-PROMO 12" LP ALBUM-CSD 001-LYNOTT-DIRE STRAITS10CC ETC-EX US $5.72 [0 bids]
10CC-RUBBER BULLETS/THE DEAN & I UK MINT CD US $5.98 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC - THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (GATEFOLD SLEEVE+PRINTED INNER) US $3.11 [0 bids]
10CC - DECEPTIVE BENDS (GATEFOLD SLEEVE+PRINTED INNER) US $2.46 [0 bids]
Meanwhile - 10cc New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $28.35 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC - CLASSIC ALBUM SELECTION: FIVE ALBUMS 1975-1978 [BOX] - NEW CD BOXSET US $30.60 Buy It Now 1 day
10CC I'm not in love c/w Donna 7" REISSUE BELGIUM POP US $5.72 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc "Bloody Tourists" Original Gatefold LP VG++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
10cc Greatest Hits Japan Promo White Label Vinyl LP Graham Gouldman Godley Creme US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy 10CC music online Buy 10CC & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for 10CC DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

10CC Deceptive Bends ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(21%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(39%)

10CC Deceptive Bends reviews

Review by chessman
4 stars This was the first album released by the band after the departure of Kevin Godley and Lol Creme. Many wondered at the time if the remaining half, Gouldman/Stewart, could pull off a decent album or would it be a let down. When it came out I rushed out to buy it, hoping it would be pretty good. Well, it was more than pretty good! It's one of their best. Augmented by Paul Burgess on drums, who had already worked live with the band, Graham and Eric managed to make it sound as if Kevin and Lol had never left! 'Good Morning Judge' was a hit in the charts, and is typical 10cc. Clever lyrics are again present and nice guitar from Eric Stewart. Because the original four had quite similar voices at times, it wasn't too hard to replicate the classic sound here. Graham Gouldman can sound quite like Kevin Godley when he sings deeply, and Eric Stewart can do a falsetto almost as well as Lol Creme. The second track, 'The Things We Do For Love' was a decent chart hit, and already heard and known before the album came out. Listening to it, you would swear it was the original four on the record. In fact, before I got the album, I wondered if the track had had the benefit of all four singing on it, because the songs for this album were being written and recorded whilst Godley and Creme were commencing work on their debut opus, 'Consequences'. I thought maybe they had sung on this before they had left the band. However, they hadn't. 'Marriage Bureau Rendezvous' is sung by Graham. A nice, quite romantic song really, with a good melody and gentle satire in its lyrics, it is instantly hummable.The story, about a man going to a marriage bureau to meet his Mrs Right, only to end up with the girl trying to fix him up with a date, is quite moving, without being mawdling. 'People In Love' is a nice ballad, the type this band were expert at writing when the mood took them. Eric sings this one and it's a straightforward song with minimal satire. 'Modern Man Blues' is sung by both Eric and Graham, and has a superb twist when it comes to the chorus. The verse seems to bemoan the fact that the hero of the song has had his wife walk out on him, but the chorus sees him celebrating, now that he is free and able to do what he likes! Classic 10cc. 'Honeymoon With B Troop' is quite short and very funny, with classic lines abounding, such as: 'So, don't touch her...' and then the backing vocals sing: 'bum, bum, bum, bum,bum,bum,bum,bum,' before the next line: Oh, it's so fine, and you know what's mine is mine.' One of my favourites on the album. 'I Bought A Flat Guitar Tutor' is even shorter, and very, very clever. The lyrics contain various references to guitar chords, such as: C what I'm going through, A to B with you, in A flat, by the C. Again, a fave of mine. And the tune is catchy too, with nice guitar work from Eric, reminding us how well the man can play. 'You've Got A Cold' is probably my least favourite here, but it's still good. It's a song about, yes, you've guessed it, someone with a cold. Plenty of vocal interplay on this one. Solid stuff. Finally comes the magnum opus, a three part epic called 'Feel The Benefit'. I played this track again and again when I first heard it. Eric takes the main lead here, though Graham contributes too. Lyrically, it's quite poignant. The first part is slow paced, the middle part has an infectious rhythm, and the third part reprises the first, ending with a superb guitar solo from Eric. Brilliant stuff! This was the last what I would call 'classic' albums from the band, although the next, Bloody Tourists, has its merits too. This deserves four stars, easily.

Send comments to chessman (BETA) | Report this review (#86089) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 07, 2006

Review by Chris S
1 stars Man this was such a disappointment after ' The Original Soundtrack" and " How Dare You". I had to relisten to it on numerous occassions to find something worth convincing me that it was an OK album. If there was ever the concept that the previous album was so good that anything else a band tried to do would not cut it, then 10CC achived that with the dismal ' Deceptive Bends". I remember Queen and Kansas being especially alive with their current releases at the time and hoped ' Deceptive Bends' would cut the mustard. Apart from the commercial ' The Things We do For Love' which fades far too early mid song I find little else on thsi album worth chirping about so have to give it a solid one star. This album truly did die with the onset of punk and all the other anti establishment new wave around at the time and unfortunately it could not rise to the bait!

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#86953) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 13, 2006

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This aptly-titled album was the first major test for the band, as it was the first where they were only two of the four original members. Could the band manage their usual tricks with only half the personnel? Enlisting previous collab Paul Burgess in the fold, the remaining duo pulled in a very decent effort, stretching out their songwriting talents to the max.

After a very usual comedy-like opening track (a bit like a poppier Robbery, Assault And Battery or Harold The Barrel), comes one typical huge hit (even if hardly their best), Things We Do For Love. The next People In Love has interesting arrangements, but the album side glides on smoothly but rather uneventful until the closing Modern Man Blues which adds a bit of much-needed pimento in their music, as if to compensate for their old KB-man Creme's departure, Gouldman did not dare putting too much guitars in. Easily the first side's highlight with the opener.

However, the second side quickly drops to lower-than-usual 10 CC standards until the three part-suite, 11-min+, Feel The Benefit. While the track starts out rather slowly and is almost choked by much too present orchestral arrangements, around the middle of the "epic" clearly the trio pulls its stuff together and starts rocking (almost proging) and pulls in maybe their best five minutes ever. The instrumental end of this track is really superb (with a sizzling g guitar solo) and can only remind us just how close this band was to being progressive.

Overall though, this album is rather deceiving (hence my original comment at the top of this review), but it has many excuses as if there had been a full line-up as for their previous efforts, this albums better ideas indicate that they would've reached their apex on this release. Sadly, with only 5 CC left, there was no miracle, although the remaining duo managed to live up to their name. Well done under the circumstances.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#87307) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Review by greenback
3 stars I always try to compare 10CC with Roxy Music, since both lead to controversy when it is time to decide if they can be classified as progressive rock, or at least as prog related music. Well, 10CC here produce a more than ordinary, pretty sophisticated, inoffensive and happy rock music influenced by the Beatles and having some of the poppy parts of Alan Parson's Project. I think they are quite prog related, and I find the album much better than Roxy Music's Siren, mainly because the tracks here more retain the attention. Despite the very good singer, the decent bassist, the honest drummer, the competent guitarist and the OK keyboardist, I find the compositions musically not very challenging, although they are pretty well made and have rather catchy & structured arrangements. The music is maybe too accessible & not catchy enough to fully captivate me, despite the musicians play their instruments very well and the record is pretty well recorded (the sound). The side 2 is better, especially the last song "Feel the Benefit", an epic song with orchestral arrangements, lasting more than 11 minutes.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Send comments to greenback (BETA) | Report this review (#94468) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 14, 2006

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars "You've got a cold", altogether now, "you've got a cold"

With Lol Crčme and Kevin Godley having departed to play with their Gizmo, Graham Gouldman and Eric Stewart retained custody of the 10CC name, continuing as a duet. Instead of attempting to replace G&C, drummer Paul Burges was brought in on what was clearly a supporting role basis, his picture not even appearing on the sleeve. With the name came certain expectations in terms of standard and type of product. The question was, could the duo deliver?

"Deceptive bends" was the public's first chance to judge the new 10CC for themselves, the album facing the challenge of following up the highly rated "How dare you". Gouldman and Stewart decided to try to recreate the pop successes the band had enjoyed, and to some extent they succeeded on that front. The opening two tracks, "Good morning judge" and "The things we do for love" were both successful chart wise, and contained sufficient elements of witty lyrics and hummable melodies to suggest that the 10CC name would at least continue.

After that though, we are into a succession of pleasantly diverting, but generally forgettable pop rock songs. While the song writing credits are democratically shared throughout, it is usually easy to segregate the Stewart songs from the Gouldman ones, especially since they tend to take lead on their own songs. Stewart's "People in love" is one of his endearing ballads, nicely orchestrated by Del Newman. The chauvinistic lyrics of "Modern man blues" were not politically correct in 1977, and would go down even less well now. The song itself is a bluesy shuffle of little note.

"Honeymoon with 'B' troop" is lyrically similar to "When you're in love with a beautiful woman" but delivered as an up-tempo funky song. It is one of a trio of throwaway songs which open side two of the album. The brief "I bought a flat guitar studio" disappears up its own proverbial in over clever but pointless lyricism. "You've got a cold" is even less enjoyable than actually having one, the song describing the symptoms while being completely devoid of a discernible melody. The chorus repeats ad- infinitum "You've got a c-o-o-o-old"!.

The saving grace for the album is the 11― minute, three part "Feel the benefit". The song is a rather over arranged "One night in Paris" like venture, which sounds very Beatles like at times. To their credit, the duo do at least try to do something a little more imaginative here, and the guitar work, while all to brief, adds some fine colours. The final part includes the some of the corniest lyrics the band have written (and they have come up with some classics!), including "If all the people in the world could sing together. We'd all feel the benefit".

In all, this may be more than half as good as previous 10CC albums, but it does have the feel of a duo who are not entirely sure of themselves. In some ways, the album parallels "A momentary lapse of reason", in that it is a decent facsimile of 10CC's halcyon days.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#132817) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 12, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars For the ones who are not really aware of 10CC, the departure of Godley and Creame would surely mean a total collapse.

For the more familiar fan, it is of course a MAJOR shock but the other great duet from this incredible band is strongly taking over. At the end of the day, the pair Stuart-Gouldman wrote "Art For Art's Sake", the most known of any 10CC song ever written "I'm Not In Love" and "The Wall Street Shuffle".

Stewart sharing "Live Is A Minestrone" and "Oh Effendi" with either Godley or Creme and Gouldman participating in lots of tracks with either one of the fantastic quatuor ("Rubber Bullets". "Johnny, Don't Do It!", ""The Worst Band in the World" and "The Second Sitting for the Last Supper"to name a few.

These four guys were so creative and original that the band will survive after this earthquake. Even if, needless to say, Stuart and Gouldman are great composers, they will miss the other fantastic duet.

Vocals harmonies are still extremely polished, melodies are powerful but a part of the magic has gone (physically and in terms of song writing). The Fab Four orientation is still very much present in "People In Love", the popish and grandiose style still striking hard with "The Things We Do For Love" and the complexity of the band is featured in "Good Morning Judge".

Some limitations are shown with "Modern Man Blues". But I have never been into blues (and probably never will). The incredible 10CC-ish style is fully displayed during "Honeymoon With B Troop". Another inventive piece of music and fully rock-opera oriented. As rich as lots of prior 10CC songs.

I guess that it was almost impossible for the band to release a better album due to the circumstances. It is not as good as "Sheet Music" or "The Original Soundtrack" but on par with "How Dare You".

A closing such as "Feel The Benefit" with its "ELO" flavour and its Beatles-esque melody only confirms the feeling that Stuart- Goldman had strong shoulders to carry on the 10CC flag. But who had any doubts about that ? This is THE highlight of this album.

Their marketing agent or their management (or anyone who chose the title for this album) should be hung by the balls. To call an album with a word such as "deceptive" in the title after this major split is unconscious. I would have called it "Positive Trends".

Three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#153174) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 29, 2007

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars More art for art's sake

Like earlier 10cc albums, Deceptive Bends contains well made Pop tunes with only the slightest progressive tendencies. Since they had lost some members, changes could be expected but the band sounds basically the same. However, Deceptive Bends is slightly less typically 10cc. This album is in some ways analogous to Caravan's Cunning Stunts album. Both of these albums represented a slight divergence from the sound of the earlier albums of the band in question. As Cunning Stunts was less typically Caravan, the hard core fans of either band didn't like it that much, simply because what they like most about their favourite band is that band's most typical aspects. For people like me, on the other hand, who don't think that highly of the earlier albums of 10cc, and don't particularly like the most typical aspects of 10cc, this album is actually one of their best.

Another similarity between this and Cunning Stunts is that both albums end with a long track. Feel The Benefit is one of 10cc's better songs ever. But it is not essential by any means.

Like all other 10cc albums that I've heard, this is worthy of two stars.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#224693) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 06, 2009

Review by UMUR
4 stars "Deceptive Bends" is the 5th full-length studio album by UK art pop/rock act 10cc. The album was released through Mercury Records in May 1977. Thereīs been a major lineup change since "How Dare You (1976)" as Lol Creme and Kevin Godley have jumped ship to pursue other interests (one of them was the invention of the Gizmo guitar device. Another was the Godley & Creme project). The remaining members Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman opted to continue with the band and recruited studio musicians to fill out the roles they couldnīt do themselves (most notably the drums). So this is a defining moment in the bandīs history with now only half of the original lineup left.

The music on the album is unmistakably the sound of 10cc though. Lineup changes or not. High quality art pop/rock with lots of clever musical twists and great tongue in cheek humour. To my ears very little has changed and the two remaining members easily fill the roles of the two that left. The vocals are skillfully performed as always (with great harmonies and choirs) and the sound production is nothing short of fantastic. "Deceptive Bends" is an organic, detailed, and overall very well sounding album.

As mentioned above the material are generally of high quality and tracks like the opening "Good Morning Judge", the funny "Marriage Bureau Rendezvous", the even more amusing "Honeymoon With B Troop", the slightly progressive 11:31 minutes long "Feel the Benefit, Pt. 1-3" (where part 1 and 3 remind me very much of Barclay James Harvest) and of course the pop hit tunes "The Things We Do for Love" and "People in Love", are among the highlights on the album. The two latter mentioned are obviously written to have mainstream appeal but as always 10cc manage to arrange and perform tracks in that vein in such a clever and professional manner, that people listening to music a bit more closely than the all consuming mainstream radio listener, should also be able to find intriguing details here.

10cc have overall produced another high quality release with "Deceptive Bends". One of their greatest assets in addition to their high level musicianship and production skills, is their clever and sometimes rather naughty tongue in cheek humour (which is at times comparable to the Frank Zappa ditto), and that side of their style works really well on this album. Put into a commercial pop/rock formula itīs extremely charming. While "Deceptive Bends" is probably their last really great album, it often isnīt as lauded as their four preceeding releases, which is a real shame, because to my ears itīs as high class as anything released before it. A 4 star (80%) rating is deserved.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#227224) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 17, 2009

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars 10CC's first album after the split from Lol Creme & Kevin Godley is the only album where Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman managed to retain the spirit and quirkiness of the earlier album, although I must admit it took me quite a while to appreciate some of it. The sound is there, from the distictive overcompressed guitar tone to the odd humor.

There are straight out humorous songs, like Good Morning Judge which features a main character pleading to be sent back to prison (the one in Rubber Bullets?), You've Got A Cold, and the great Modern Man Blues, which begins with the protagonist left alone by his lover, but ends with him rejoicing his freedom.

There is more subtle humor, as in the The Things We Do For Love ("Ooh, you make me love you. Ooh, you've got a way. Ooh, you've had me crawling up the wall.) And of course, Honeymoon With B Troop, where if you listen closely, it appears the singer is having a rather sexual relationship with a pinup poster.

There is also the eleven minute Feel The Benefit, which has a feel of some of the Supertramp epics. It's only marred by some maudlin string arrangements.

But the real gem of the album is I Bought A Flat Guitar Tutor, an amazing little tune, where the chords are written into the lyrics. Incredibly clever. 3.5 stars, rounded up.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#507016) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 21, 2011

Review by Chicapah
2 stars I'll come clean up front and humbly confess that I know next to nothing about 10cc. Other than their unusual moniker and a few of their popular singles they remained outside my scope of awareness. (I'll readily admit the haunting, uniquely-constructed aura of their 'I'm Not in Love' is darn near irresistible and it's a genuine landmark of studio technology.) Just in case I'd been missing out on some incredible music all these years due to my ignorance of their art I picked this record at random to hear what they're all about. In my brief investigation of the group's history I've learned that, after putting out four reasonably successful albums, a sizeable rift that had been developing for some time finally ruptured in 1976 and rent the band asunder. The guys left behind, Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman, decided to carry on the legacy. They enlisted the help of their tour-support drummer, Paul Burgess, and set out to prove that they really didn't need the other two dudes, anyway. 'Deceptive Bends' is the result. While I'm not familiar with the work of the two that made a run for it (Kevin Godley and Lol Creme), my understanding is that they've earned quite a reputation for themselves in the progressive rock universe since the split and I hope someday to sample their handiwork. Having sat through multiple plays of this particular LP, though, I feel somewhat comfortable in saying that when Kevin and Lol left the fold they must've taken most of the institution's prog inclinations with them. I can comprehend to an extent why 10cc qualifies as being prog related but in my estimation, based on this batch of tunes at least, their connection to the genre is tissue-ply thin.

They begin with the upbeat 'Good Morning Judge.' It's semi-funky in an Alan Parsons Project way and what I mean by that is it's far too squeaky clean and pasteurized to be deemed anything close to authentic R&B fare. I'm a fan of crisp production, however, so I don't find the song to be bereft of all appreciable merit. The guitar work is performed expertly, for example. Keep in mind I do have a soft spot in my head for high-quality pop rock (which this tune is) so its minor shortcomings don't offend me too much. 'The Things We Do for Love' is next and, to be honest, I can't treat it fairly because I'm sick and tired of hearing it on the classic rock radio airwaves. It's a meticulously- designed but overly-formulaic ditty that has never done much for me because it's just too dad gum fluffy. I'm sure they were tickled that it became such a monster worldwide hit for them (it rose to #5 in the US) but to me it's an unremarkable bore. 'Marriage Bureau Rendezvous' follows and with it things improve considerably. I especially admire any ensemble that manages to toss in some melancholy humor to keep things leaning toward the bright side of life. I found this number interesting due to their taking a few detours along the way (Not unlike what Paul McCartney would often do with Wings just for grins). Unfortunately, they take a dive to the bottom on the next cut, 'People in Love.' The syrupy orchestral score only makes this buttery ballad even less substantial and interminably more wearying. This song is DOA. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along now. I suspect that Eric and Graham had been digging on Steely Dan's 'Pretzel Logic' because the Fagin/Becker influence runs throughout 'Modern Man Blues,' most noticeably in the verse structure. The chorus does deliver an abrupt change of direction, though, and all in all it's an odd little composition that's at least unpredictable.

'Honeymoon with B Troop' is one of the more enjoyable tunes on this record. I must acknowledge that they had an eclectic attitude that kept them from being corralled with the run-of-the-mill commercial acts of that era and I find their bold employment of studio tricks entertaining. In some aspects they're a slicker-sounding Electric Light Orchestra, yet not as adventurous as Jeff Lynne and his pals were. 'I Bought a Flat Guitar Tutor' is an unexpected, drastic departure from the norm. Here they plunge straight into the brand of nostalgia that Queen was fond of taking on without warning. I'll say it's short and sweet and leave it at that. 'You've Got a Cold' is a bouncy little number about, obviously, being under the weather and contagious, but it fails to charm because of the dearth of imagination involved. A big dose of satire would've helped tremendously but, as a novelty song, it falls flat. The closer, 'Feel the Benefit (Parts 1, 2 & 3),' is an eleven and a half minute musical excursion where an engaging mix of light guitar and tactful symphonic strings open the proceedings. Then the vocals enter to create some intriguing aural scenery that allows the listener to follow along effortlessly. It's without a doubt the proggiest track on the record. They eventually return to the original theme and motif but the second time around it's much more forceful and dynamic. Alas, it loses some of its momentum as it winds down to the 'swaying Bic lighters in the arena' finale but that miscalculation doesn't completely spoil the piece altogether.

Released in June of '77, this LP didn't disappoint their label one iota. I recall seeing its distinctive cover standing out from the madding crowd in the record bins and I assume its sales figures were boosted greatly by the Top Ten single it spawned. But when it comes to British Art Rock my preference would be the more consistent Supertramp, the aforementioned ELO or even the delightfully wacky Gentle Giant. This album ultimately left me unsatisfied and hungry for something with a bit more meat on the bone to chew on. 'Deceptive Bends' is clever in places but too often I feel that Stewart and Gouldman were trying too hard to be cute, adorable and marketable rather than daring to be exploratory and radical in their approach. I don't mean to be too hard on the boys but I have to call 'em as I see 'em and this disc ends up on the weak side of average. 2.4 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#1163248) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 19, 2014

3 stars This is an excellent example of an album where the members of the group are not taking themselves seriously as pop stars. Their lyrics are sometimes sarcastic but always gentle, humorous, witty and the music is supporting their funny, but still sentimental stories to unfold. I would call the m ... (read more)

Report this review (#386307) | Posted by Astryos | Tuesday, January 25, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of 10CC "Deceptive Bends"