LIVE IN AMERICA

Good, but non-essential

Buy TRANSATLANTIC Music
Live, released in 2001

CD 1: 53:10
1. All of the above (30:47)
2. Mystery train / Magical mystery tour / Strawberry fields forever(15:32)
3. We all need some light (6:51)
CD 2: 46:46
1. Watcher of the skies / Firth of fifth (10:47)
2. My new world (16:51)
3. Medley: There is more to this world / Go the way you go / The great escape / Finally free /
She's so heavy (19:10)

Search TRANSATLANTIC Live in America lyrics

Search TRANSATLANTIC Live in America tabs

- Neil Morse / vocals, keyboards
- Mike Portnoy / drums, vocals
- Roine Stolt / vocals, guitars
- Pete Trewavas / bass, vocals

TRANSATLANTIC MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy TRANSATLANTIC Live in America Music

Stolt Morse Portnoy TrewavasStolt Morse Portnoy Trewavas
Metal Blade 2000
The WhirlwindThe Whirlwind
Metal Blade 2009
Transatlantic: Building the Bridge/Live in AmericaTransatlantic: Building the Bridge/Live in America
Multiple Formats
Metal Blade 2006
DVD$15.83
Live in EuropeLive in Europe
Metal Blade 2003
Whirld Tour 2010: Live in LondonWhirld Tour 2010: Live in London
Metal Blade 2010
Douglas Jerry Bain Aly - Transatlantic Sessions 3 Vol 1 CD US $21.81 Buy It Now 41m 21s
Transatlantic Zodiac Ensemble - Its A Mean Season For Silver Linings CD US $25.10 Buy It Now 42m 26s
Peter Bardens-S/T Write My Name In Dust 1971 UK Transatlantic TRA 243 EX/M TOPS! US $55.99 Buy It Now 46m 40s
PENTANGLE HISTORY BOOK LP TRANSATLANTIC (1970's) NM US $13.25 Buy It Now 6h 20m
Transatlantic - Whirlwind [CD New] US $17.72 Buy It Now 7h 48m
Picture Rags 12" Ragtime Jazz LP on Transatlantic ALL TRACKS LISTED Plays EX++ US $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Bert Jansch Sampler UK LP 1969 Ex+ A1/B1 Transatlantic Pentangle John Renbourn US $45.00 Buy It Now 7h 59m
CONTRABAND Lady For Today 1974 TRANSATLANTIC NEAR MINT US $2.49 [1 bids]
Ralph Mc Tell Spiral Staircase Transatlantic TRA 177 VINYL LP Album US $15.67 Buy It Now 8h 41m
STRAY ~ MUDANZAS ~ RARE UK TRANSATLANTIC LP 1973 ~ 1ST PRESS 1A/2A ~ TOP COPY US $74.63 Buy It Now 9h 20m
STRAY ~ MOVE IT ~ RARE UK TRANSATLANTIC LP 1974 ~ 1ST PRESS 1A/1B ~ TOP COPY US $91.21 Buy It Now 9h 24m
THE TWO RONNIES the best of TRA 328 A1/B1 1st press uk transatlantic LP PS EX/EX US $16.24 Buy It Now 10h 52m
8-Track Tape JOHN RENBOURN Transatlantic folk 1966 UK PICTURE COVER US $33.98 Buy It Now 11h 2m
8-Track Tape RENIA First Offenders prog 1973 Transatlantic UK PICTURE COVER US $60.00 Buy It Now 11h 2m
Transatlantic - Smpte [CD New] US $14.66 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Ralph Mctell - My Side Of Your Window ( LP - Transatlantic - TRA 209 ) US $13.99 Buy It Now 13h 19m
Ullmann/Dahlgren/Thomas - Transatlantic Bassx3 [CD New] US $14.89 Buy It Now 13h 42m
JODY GRIND One Step On LP 1969 TRANSATLANTIC UK Orig 1st Press 4 US $11.00 [3 bids]
STRAY:Come On Over 4:12-Soon You've Grown 2:43-Japan 7"Transatlantic Recs.DJ PSL US $38.98 Buy It Now 14h 18m
RALPH McTELL My Side Of Your Window LP TRANSATLANTIC UK orig US $9.90 [0 bids]
15h
RALPH McTELL Spiral Staircase LP TRANSATLANTIC UK orig TOP COPY! US $24.90 [0 bids]
15h
STRAY Mudanzas LP 1973 UK 1st Press STEREO TRANSATLANTIC TRA 268 US $51.41 [11 bids]
Stefan Grossman Live UK Transatlantic 1973 Double LP US $6.62 [0 bids]
RALPH McTELL Spiral Staircase Transatlantic US $14.91 Buy It Now 17h 10m
Matt McGinn Sampler. 1969 UK Transatlantic LP Ex! US $4.96 Buy It Now 17h 43m
TRANSATLANTIC-KALEIDOSCOPE 3LP/2CD LIMITED EDITION VINYL NEW(IMPORT)OUT OF PRINT US $119.99 Buy It Now 20h 51m
Crash Street Kids Transatlantic Suicide CD US $10.26 Buy It Now 21h 51m
Paul Gilbert CD Burning Organ Mr Big Transatlantic Winery Dogs Cinderella Beatle US $10.99 Buy It Now 22h
LISTEN HERE! TRANSATLANTIC SAMPLER TRASAM2 VINYL LP 1968 UK PENTANGLE VG+!! US $18.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PENTANGLE REFLECTIONS VERY RARE FULLY HAND SIGNED TRANSATLANTIC UK LP US $323.38 Buy It Now 1 day
TRANSATLANTIC TICKET.FOLK CD.VARIOUS ARTISTS.JANSCH.PENTANGLE.RENBOURNE.GRYPHON US $9.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Transatlantic Sessions (CD, Apr-2000) GUY CLARK IRIS DEMENT MARY BLACK US $22.59 Buy It Now 1 day
Pentangle / Reflection / Transatlantic 1971 / EX US $8.28 [0 bids]
Alex Campbell / Sampler / Transatlantic 1969 / EX US $4.96 [0 bids]
RICHARD HARVEY DIVISIONS ON A GROUND transatlantic 75 A1B1 UK 1st pr Lp VG US $11.59 Buy It Now 1 day
Transatlantic - Live In America [CD New] US $44.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Transatlantic - Live In Europa [CD New] US $44.49 Buy It Now 1 day
Transatlantic - More Never Is Enough [CD New] US $123.85 Buy It Now 1 day
THE TRANSATLANTIC MOVE mixed by superstar dj KEOKI-The S Man/Cirrus/Top Kat+more US $3.99 [0 bids]
OUT TO LUNCH Everything's Nice 7" Single Vinyl Record Transatlantic 1976 EX US $9.93 Buy It Now 1 day
BILLY CONNOLLY / HUMBLEBUMS - WORDS & MUSIC - TRANSATLANTIC 1975 VG US $3.30 [0 bids]
Gryphon-Transatlantic 1975 lp-raindance US $50.00 Buy It Now 1 day
RALPH McTELL Revisited 1970 UK LP TRANSATLANTIC TRA 227 US $6.62 [0 bids]
Country Gazette LIVE Transatlantic TRA 291 Vinyl LP Album US $44.41 Buy It Now 1 day
TransAtlantic ?- Mike's Silver Hammer Live Holland 2001 (Dream Theater) 2 CD US $24.86 [1 bids]
CD Treble: Transatlantic : Whirld Tour 2010 : Sealed US $29.00 [0 bids]
DMD - Transatlantic Dream - CD single US $10.28 Buy It Now 1 day
STRAY TRACKS oop VINYL LP 1975 original trasam33 transatlantic uk RARE comp unre US $59.00 Buy It Now 1 day
1972 RARE BLUES FOR YOUR POCKET UK IMPORT LP RECORD ON TRANSATLANTIC #TRA SAM 25 US $6.95 Buy It Now 1 day
BIG BILL BROONZY SINGS COUNTRY BLUES ~ RARE UK TRANSATLANTIC XTRA BLUES LP 1969 US $58.04 Buy It Now 1 day
Listen Here! A Transatlantic Sampler (1968 LP TRASAM2) Jansch, Geesin, Renbourn US $16.57 Buy It Now 1 day
The Johnstons: The Barley Corn LP VG++ UK Transatlantic TRA 185 US $49.99 Buy It Now 1 day
John Renbourn SO CLEAR Vinyl LP 1973 Transatlantic Records US $15.00 [0 bids]
Gryphon "Midnight Mushrumps" LP Transatlantic UK Press Prog Yes Gentle Giant US $6.28 [3 bids]
THE OATH Transatlantic Thrash Terror LP 1999 YOUTH ATTACK USA US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Hugues Aufray - Transatlantic CD 2007 EU 16trk US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
"Basket of Light" PENTANGLE (Bert Jansch) Transatlantic 1969 Vinyl LP EXCELLENT US $33.15 Buy It Now 2 days
Transatlantic - Smpte CD US $18.40 Buy It Now 2 days
TRANSATLANTIC Live in America VIDEO TAPE BRAND NEW shop stock US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
CHRIS GROOMS Sweet Gypsy TRANSATLANTIC 1978 UK press US $14.91 Buy It Now 2 days
TRANSATLANTIC MEETINGS ROY HAYNES KENNY CLARKE HENRI RENAUD MARTIAL SOLAL VOGUE US $14.99 Buy It Now 2 days
The John Renbourn Sampler, Transatlantic Records TRA SAM20 Ex Condition Vinyl US $14.91 Buy It Now 2 days
THE PENTANGLE HISTORY BOOK LP TRANSATLANTIC UK ORIGINAL VINYL US $16.57 Buy It Now 2 days
Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band - Floral Dance 7" 1976 Ex Transatlantic BIG548 US $5.79 Buy It Now 2 days
'TRANSATLANTIC SESSIONS 4: VOLUME 1' CD US $21.54 Buy It Now 2 days
Billy Connolly(Vinyl LP)Words & Music-Transatlantic-TRA SAM32-UK-VG/VG US $9.93 Buy It Now 2 days
JIMMY DAWKINS 'TRANSATLANTIC 770' UK LP US $33.15 Buy It Now 2 days
STEFAN GROSSMAN 'YAZOO BASIN BLUES' UK LP TRANSATLANTIC MONO A1/B1 US $14.91 Buy It Now 2 days
STEFAN GROSSMAN 'HOT DOGS' UK LP TRANSATLANTIC US $14.91 Buy It Now 2 days
STEFAN GROSSMAN 'ANTHOLOGY' UK LP TRANSATLANTIC US $14.91 Buy It Now 2 days
Transatlantic by Chris Potter (Saxophone)/DR Big Band (CD, May-2011, Red Dot) US $16.62 Buy It Now 2 days
MAE MCKENNA s/t LP 12 track sticker tear on the sleeve (tra297) uk transatlantic US $12.82 Buy It Now 2 days
XTRA 1107 JOHN McCORMACK Recital TRANSATLANTIC XTRA MONO 1970 UK VINYL LP US $8.28 Buy It Now 2 days
Billy Connolly(Vinyl LP)Anthology-Transatlantic-MTRA 2008-UK-VG/VG US $15.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Brighouse & Rastrick Brass Band(7" Vinyl)The Floral Dance-Transatlantic-BIG 548- US $4.96 Buy It Now 2 days
TRANSATLANTIC - KALEIDOSCOPE (039841527827) - NEW CD US $13.18 Buy It Now 2 days
2 by The Dubliners "More of The Hard Stuff" Transatlantic, "Best Of" Major Minor US $19.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Transatlantic - Whirlwind (Standard Version) (NEW CD) US $20.30 Buy It Now 2 days
RALPH McTELL - STREETS of LONDON - 1975 Transatlantic TRA SAM 34 (England) US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
EX/EX- !! The Young Tradition/Galleries/1968 Transatlantic LP US $54.73 Buy It Now 2 days
THE PENTANGLE - LIGHT FLIGHT (TAKE THREE GIRLS THEME) - 7" VINYL - TRANSATLANTIC US $8.29 [0 bids]
LP RECORD INNER SLEEVE 60's / 70's VINTAGE ORIGINAL TRANSATLANTIC RECORDS US $11.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Chris Potter & Dr Big Band - Transatlantic [CD New] US $19.54 Buy It Now 2 days
Smpte by Transatlantic (CD, Metal Blade/Radiant) US $4.99 [0 bids]
CHRIS POTTER & DR BIG BAND - TRANSATLANTIC NEW CD US $25.79 Buy It Now 2 days
BOYS OF THE LOUGH ~ LOCHABER NO MORE ~ 1975 UK LP RECORD ~ TRANSATLANTIC TRA 311 US $9.95 Buy It Now 2 days
STRAY-TRACKS 12" VINYL LP 1975 TRANSATLANTIC RECORDS TRA SAM 33 **RARE US $13.25 [0 bids]
THE HUMBLEBUMS s/t 1972 GERRY RAFFERTY BILLY CONNOLLY TRANSATLANTIC Spain LP US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Transatlantic - Whirlwind (2009) US $14.91 [0 bids]
Jerry Douglas & Aly Bain - Vol. 1-Transatlantic Sessions 3 [CD New] US $21.80 Buy It Now 2 days
GORDON GILTRAP FIRST ALBUM 1968 UK 1st PRESS TRANSATLANTIC LABEL LP ACCOLADE US $66.32 [0 bids]
TRANSATLANTIC SAMPLER - 8 Track LTD NUMBER 4543 TRACD102 (CD 1994) MINT- US $8.28 Buy It Now 2 days
Richard Digance - The Best Of The Transatlantic Years - 20 Great Tracks - Rare US $16.57 Buy It Now 2 days
BERT JANSCH ~ THE BERT JANSCH SAMPLER /U.K. IMP TRANSATLANTIC LP TRASAM 10 NICE! US $9.99 [0 bids]
Hugues Aufray - Transatlantic [CD New] US $23.99 Buy It Now 2 days
TRANSATLANTIC SMPT E SMPTe Mini LP HQ CD JAPAN 2CD IECP-20224/225 US $24.99 [1 bids]
TRANSATLANTIC The Whirlwind Mini LP HQ CD JAPAN 2CD IECP-20228/229 / Neal Morse US $24.99 [0 bids]
TransAtlantic KALEIDOSCOPE LPx3/CDx2 USA 89778100197 Radiant Records (2) new US $89.97 [0 bids]
TRANSATLANTIC Live In America Mini LP HQ CD JAPAN 2CD IECP-20238/239 US $24.99 [1 bids]
TRANSATLANTIC Whirld Tour 2010 Mini LP HQ CD JAPAN Live 3CD IECP-10288/290 US $24.99 [1 bids]

More places to buy TRANSATLANTIC music online Buy TRANSATLANTIC & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for TRANSATLANTIC DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

TRANSATLANTIC Live in America ratings distribution

TRANSATLANTIC Live in America reviews

Review by Greger
4 stars With only one album in their back-catalogue, TRANSATLANTIC is releasing a double-CD live album, which was recorded last year in the USA. Four out of five tracks from the debut CD "SMPTe (Stolt Morse Portnoy Trewavas)" (2000) can be found on this live album together with some BEATLES and GENESIS songs. Have they run out of ideas or what? These guys (Neal Morse / SPOCK'S BEARD, Roine Stolt / The FLOWER KINGS, Mike Portnoy / DREAM THEATER and Pete Trewavas / MARILLION) are definitely not known for being lazy when it comes to compose music. Well, don't worry! They are planning a new studio album, which will be released later this year. After listening to this CD a couple of times I'm however glad that they have released it. The magic and energy that are shown is amazing. They are giving new life to the songs from the "SMPTe" album, although the vocals aren't as good as on the studio versions. What make it worth owning though are the BEATLES and GENESIS covers that are purely magnificent. There's also a medley containing one song from each of the main bands of the TRANSATLANTIC members, and it ends with the BEATLES song "She's So Heavy". Although SPOCK'S BEARD, The FlOWER KINGS, MARILLION and DREAM THEATER are some of my favorite bands I don't think that this is an essential live album, but the high quality and all the surprises makes it however recommended.

Send comments to Greger (BETA) | Report this review (#7360) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Review by Muzikman
4 stars If you have been looking for the ultimate progressive rock super group you need not look any further. Transatlantic is made up of members from four of the premier prog-rock bands active today. Represented are the Flower Kings - Roine Stolt (guitar, vocals), Dream Theater - Mike Portnoy (drums), Marillion - Pete Trewavas (bass), and Spock's Beard - Neal Morse (keyboards, vocals). This is an impressive group of musicians to be sure. And the music is more than you could possibly expect from any group, super group or otherwise. Previous to this live recording release the group had never actually played together because of their tremendous workload recording with their main groups, touring, and spread out locations (hence their name being a perfect fit). Due to these circumstances each member recorded their respective parts for each album at different locations worldwide. This situation really just has me awestruck, how could these guys just come together for the first time, go out on stage and pull this off? And they do it with such ease, just as if they have been together forever, Now that my music loving friends is the true meaning of talent and a real genuine love for one's craft.

You can tell that they are all enjoying themselves so much on these tracks. Just wait until you hear the "Magical Mystery Tour" and "Strawberry Fields Forever," it's a slice of heaven and nostalgia, and a nod to the great Beatles and their acknowledged influence upon anyone that started a group after they hit these shores back 1965. The nineteen minute medley on disc two is a superior showcase of prog-rock at its very best and most transitional. They cover five songs in the medley and leave nothing to chance, or to your imagination. There are so many reasons I love this kind of music. You are never bored, its always changing, and when you least expect it, and you never have time for your mind to wander off into useless mental masturbation, this is thought provoking intense music with meaning and thought put into every note.

Welcome to the Transatlantic musical experience, welcome to progressive rock.

Send comments to Muzikman (BETA) | Report this review (#7363) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Review by Gatot
2 stars Last week, when I was visiting a local music store down here in my city, a young man approached me asking: "Excuse me, do you think this live album of Transatlantic is okay?". (I was actually surprised with the fact he was approaching me - how does he know me? Finally, he told me it's because the Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" T shirt that I used at the time. Hm . prog t shirt talks!). I thought for a while ... and finally told him "Yeah it's okay if you like live albums. However, I would recommend you to purchase their studio albums first". --- Quite honest with you, the readers of this beloved website, I have had this CD for so long in my collection but I think I only spin 3 or 4 times - not complete spin, it includes some skipping if necessary. To give an opinion? It's hard for me if I only spin less than 8 times to give a fair deal. It's becoming a burden for me if I recommend a prog album with minimum number of spins. I shared with him as well on this judgment. This CD I spin only by the time I received it and I was not impressed on my first 3 - 4 spins due to many medleys and jamming that took parts of Dream Theater, marillion, The Beatles, etc. I didn't like it. So I put aside the CD. Once I return home, I give another 4-5 spins of this double CD during the week, and this is my view ..

The opener "All of The Above" is a very long track. By design, it's a relatively complex composition combining all talents of the musicians involved By influence, it's basically a Spock's Beard track as it has all of similarity (about 90%) in style with The Beard music, and the rest is Flower Kings music. So you know who contributed a lot in this track - the singer, writer and keyboard player of The Beard - : Neal Morse. It's an energy driving track with various tempo changes and multi instrument solo. It's an excellent track. All musicians contribute their best. I especially like the part that features guitar solo followed with piano / organ solo with dynamic bassline and drumming at approx. minute 10 onwards. This part is really when I reached my ultimate musical orgasm with this song. Oh man .. what a very satisfying stream of music here! The excellent sonic quality produced by the CD has even made better impact to my listening pleasure. There are some transitions to quieter passages emphasizing more on vocals and guitar fills in bluesy style. This is a very enjoyable live track.

The next track is a medley : "Mystery Train / Magical Mystery Tour / Strawberry Fields Forever" that starts off with a kind of funky style with amazing bass guitar and drumming. The intertwining work between drum and organ is also very enjoyable. That's all about "Mystery Train". When it turns into The Beatles part . uuughhh .. so disgusting man . I hate the band played this - it's not better than The Beatles at all - no improvisation - so dull. And the singing? Really bad! Nah! I'm not going to say any good thing about this part - it's a lousy part! The band should take the music seriously and why bother playing The Beatles if it cannot do better?! It's enough man. If we want to give tribute to the legendary Beatles, do it better!

"We All Need Some Light" starts with a nice guitar opening in its simplest form. Overall this track is less attractive compared to studio version. A good track though.

CD 2 starts, again, with another tribute (read: cover) of GENESIS "Watcher of the skies / Firth of fifth". It's good performance but it's much better GENESIS performs this track. If you just want to get something different, you may like this track. But not me. I prefer Genesis themselves play this great track. Morse, Portnoy, Treawavas and Stolt: please stop playing tribute! It's so booooriiinggg ..!!!

I'm lucky that CD 2 still has one track of the band's material "My New World" that is performed dynamically by the band with great solos. I like this track very much, especially that it is combined with excellent sonic quality. The keyboard solo combined with guitar solo augmented with dazzling drum sounds is really stunning!!!

But again, the band made another medley that tribute (read: cover) their original band but . sorry to say it's all worse than the original versions. It has lost the soul and spirit of the original music, I'm sure about it. It is concluded with another cover for Beatles' "She's So Heavy". Lousy composition and performance - despite great musicianship of individual member of the band. Sorry, I have to be honest with my review.

Overall, some tracks are really excellent while some are really bad (my view). You are the final judge. If you do not have the studio albums, you'd better get them first. It's NOT a must to have this live set. Only when you have extra monies or you are truly a fan of the band or collector.. Keep on progging!"

Yours progressively,

GW - Indonesia

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#7364) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 31, 2005

Review by rushfan4
4 stars Transatlantic's two CD releases, Live in America and Live in Europe are about as close as most of us will ever get to seeing/hearing Transatlantic live in concert, especially since Neal Morse left this band and Spock's Beard to concentrate on Christian music. The Live in America CD was recorded during a short tour of the U.S. east coast and it was the 6th show that they had ever played together as a band. The liner notes include a comment by each of the band members regarding the fun that they had playing together, but also the difficulties that they incurred along the way. This tour/concert was in support of their first album SMPT:E and includes 4 of the 5 songs included on SMPT:E. In addition, it includes cover versions of three Beatles songs and a combination of two Genesis songs. Interestingly though, they did not include their cover of Procol Harum's In Held (Twas) In I, which was the 5th song included on SMPT:E. Generally, I am not a fan of bands releasing live albums until after they have released three or more albums and for that I am not entirely thrilled with this CD because it is basically SMPT:E live with some decent cover songs. On the other hand, it is always a goal of mine to have a live version of every song a band does so by releasing this live album after the first album, I have a version of their 4 original songs performed live. (Live in Europe includes 3 of these songs plus 3 of the 4 songs from Bridge Across Forever). All in all this is a very enjoyable listen. It is highly recommended for fans of Transatlantic and each of the four bands that its members came from (as Mike Portnoy called them "their day jobs"). Their studio albums are masterpieces and the live albums are excellent additions to any prog music collection. The only other thing that I can say is that I hope that some day soon Neal gets a message from above to make more music with these guys because Transatlantic music makes the world a better place.

Send comments to rushfan4 (BETA) | Report this review (#145414) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Introducing the band. to each other!

During their all too brief existence before Neal Morse called time, Transatlantic recorded two fine studio albums. These are excellent neo-prog sets, with lengthy tracks (some of which are extremely lengthy!) reflecting the supergroup status of the band. While the four members had not given up their day jobs in other outfits, they still found time to tour together in Europe and America.

The fruits of these tours were recorded, and have since been released in CD and or DVD format. Just how valid these releases are (and specifically this "Live in America" album), is questionable. The tracks are not really mature enough to have been fully developed from their already complex studio origins, the band performing them very faithfully. The only real difference is that the benefits of a studio recording in terms of multi-tracking, overlays, production techniques etc. are largely lost, leaving arguably poorer second rate versions. The need to remain within the confines of the originals is emphasised by the fact that the guys had not actually played together until they undertook the tour. Their first album was recorded by each member individually, and the parts later brought together to form the whole. It took a few nights on the tour for the band to literally get their act together. As a result, some of the guitar and keyboards parts have been overdubbed. At the risk of sounding unkind, some of the singing cries out for similar treatment.

Although this album was released in the same year as the band's second album "Bridge across forever", no tracks from that album are included. On the other hand, only the cover of Procol Harum's "In held t'was in I" is missing from the tracks which made up the first album. There are just 6 tracks here, spanning 2 CDs. Some of these are medleys, but "All of the above" alone runs to over 30 minutes, and "My new world" to seventeen.

The main interest is in the tracks which do not appear on Transatlantic's studio albums. The first pair of these are a couple of Beatles songs tagged onto "Mystery train". The first of these is rather predictably "Magical mystery tour". Thankfully, it is kept brief and soon leads into "Strawberry fields forever". I am sure the medley would have been fun for the live audience, but on disc it simply sounds unrehearsed and unfocused. The highlight of the set is when the band becomes a Genesis tribute act, performing a medley of "Watcher of the skies" and "Firth of fifth". The symphonic mellotron sound which opens "Watcher." is faithfully recreated while "Firth of fifth" is pretty much note for note. Unfortunately, the guitar solo is too far back in the mix to be completely effective.

The final medley takes in tracks from each of the band member's current or former day jobs, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Marillion and Dream Theater, in that order. To this is added another Beatles number "She's so heavy", the latter part of "I want you". Once again, this is more about indulgence than substance, although the musicianship is of course of a high quality.

In all, a rather unnecessary live album which offers little of real value. The tracks from SMPTe are far better obtained in studio format, and the cover medleys are clearly only included due to a shortage of original material.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#151313) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 17, 2007

Review by UMUR
3 stars Live in America is the first live album from Transatlantic. Transatlantic is a kind of prog supergroup which consist of Mike Portnoy / drums, vocals ( Dream Theater, OSI), Neil Morse / vocals, keyboards ( Spockīs Beard and solo), Roine Stolt / vocals, guitars ( The Flower Kings, Kaipa, The Tangent, Karmakhanic and solo), Pete Trewavas / bass, vocals ( Marillion). The debut album from Transatlantic called SmPtE was a really excellent album IMO even though it was very obvious who had written what for the album. Most material was written by Neal Morse and some was written by Roine Stolt. As I like both Spockīs Beard and The Flower Kings that wasnīt a problem for me though. Live in America is a 2 CD set.

The music on Live in America is mostly taken from the debut album and weīre even presented with the 30 minute epic All of the Above. The only song from the debut that is missing from Live in America is the Procol Harum cover In held ('twas) in I. Besides the obvious choices of songs from the debut album there are also a couple of Beatles covers in a medley called Mystery train / Magical mystery tour / Strawberry fields forever. Magical Mystery Tour is only played briefly while Strawberry Fields Forever is given the full treatment. We also hear the Norwegian Wood motif played between the two Beatles songs. CD2 starts with a Genesis medley. We get the first couple of minutes from Watcher of the Skies and then most of Firth of Fifth. The album ends with a medley with parts from a song from each of the members main bands and a cover of The Beatles Sheīs So Heavy.

The musicianship is excellent and even though it says in the booklet that this recording is from their sixth show together as a band there are surprisingly few errors. The vocal performances are pretty good too. But what I enjoy the most is that Mike Portnoy restrains himself and plays some really enjoyable drum parts. His performances on most Dream Theater live albums are always way too complex and most of the time destroys the mood in Dream Theaterīs songs IMO ( this only counts for their live albums of course.

The production is good but not excellent IMO. I donīt believe they corrected many errors afterwards and thatīs always a positive sign on a live recording.

Live in America is a good live album, but it never reaches excellent in my book. The performance is good and the song selection is great, but the overall impresssion is still that this album isnīt very essential. 3 stars is deserved for a good but generally average live album.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#184868) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 06, 2008

Review by J-Man
3 stars For those of you who are just getting into Transatlantic and are looking for a live album I'll tell you right now, go check out Live In Europe. There is nothing wong with this double live album, and is worth buying for fans, but is drowned in comparison with Live In Europe.

When the album starts, you get the amazing epic All of the Above played perfectly (though not much different from Live In Europe's version). Next comes a medley of Mystery Train and two great Beatles tunes. To finish off the disc they play their 6 minute masterpeice We All Need Some Light, and then starts disc 2.

Next up comes a perfectly executed version of two great Genesis epics smashed into one. The comes the epic My New World, again, showing the skills of Transatlantic. To finish off the album comes a 20 minute medley of songs by each member's band and another Beatles song. It's arranfed well for what it is, but I wish they would just play all of the songs by themselves and not as a medley.

Again this is a great album, and is worth a purchase for the Genesis, Beatles and Transatlantic, and closing Medley, but for starters Live in Europe is the place to start.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#187064) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 26, 2008

3 stars Well, as a live album, this is nothing to write home about. I loved the first album, so I decided to get it, but it certainly had the feeling of "cashing in" about it. And the performance certainly leaves something to be desired. I, for one, enjoyed the covers, as aside from an outstanding per ... (read more)

Report this review (#64386) | Posted by | Thursday, January 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

2 stars While the album is generally good, I expected more from it. It is so close to sounding like the original "studio recorded" titles that I do not see the point in buying this "not-so" live album. I mean "All of the above" is identical in every point to the studio version down to the duration, bu ... (read more)

Report this review (#7362) | Posted by | Thursday, June 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a great live album, if you know the circumstances around it... The band didn't had much time for rehearsals, and some problems happened during the mini-your that originated this CD. But they did a great job, the songs are very well executed. The only problem is the guitar solo in the Genesi ... (read more)

Report this review (#7359) | Posted by | Monday, February 09, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of TRANSATLANTIC "Live in America "