The Doors

The Doors 13 album cover

Buy THE DOORS Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1970

1. Light My Fire (6:50)
2. People Are Strange (2:10)
3. Back Door Man (3:30)
4. Moonlight Drive (3:00)
5. The Crystal Ship (2:30)
6. Roadhouse Blues (4:04)
7. Touch Me (3:15)
8. Love Me Two Times (3:23)
9. You`re Lost, Little Girl (3:01)
10. Hello, I Love You (2:22)
11. Land Ho (4:08)
12. Wild Child (2:36)
13. The Unknown Soldier (3:10)

Search THE DOORS 13 lyrics

Search THE DOORS 13 tabs

- Jim Morrison / vocals
- Robby Krieger / guitars
- Ray Manzarek / piano & organ
- John Densmore / drums

LP: Elektra EKS-74079 (U.S.)

Thanks to Guillermo for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

THE DOORS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE DOORS 13 Music

The Very Best of the Doors [US Version]The Very Best of the Doors [US Version]
DoorsDoors
Strange DaysStrange Days
Soft ParadeSoft Parade
Waiting for the SunWaiting for the Sun
Rhino 2007
Charlie Rich Behind Closed Doors SLEEVE ONLY Epic32247 EX (45-7132) US $8.24 Buy It Now 31m 44s
Eric Kloss Doors vinyl LP In Shrink 1972 Cobblestone US $145.00 Buy It Now 43m 1s
* 3 DOORS DOWN - Away From the Sun BMG RELEASE US $0.99 [0 bids]
43m 53s
THE DOORS Classic 1967 Début CD Self Titled 1988 reissue LIGHT MY FIRE THE END US $10.32 Buy It Now 53m 45s
THE DOORS WEIRD SCENES INSIDE THE GOLD MINE RARE ORIG '72 ELECTRA LP EXCELLENT US $9.98 [0 bids]
55m 41s
THE DOORS w/JIM MORRISON ABSOLUTELY LIVE RARE ORIG '70 ELECTRA LP EXCELLENT US $9.98 [0 bids]
55m 41s
1968 THE DOORS HELLO, I LOVE YOU #1 NM ELEKTRA 45 RPM RECORD US $5.50 [5 bids]
2 CD Double Case - THE BEST OF THE DOORS - Elektra 9 60345-2 - Discs US $17.00 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Another 700 Miles by 3 Doors Down (CD, 2003, Republic) US $1.49 [0 bids]
led zeppelin pink floyd the doors the who US $79.95 [0 bids]
The Doors Alive She Cried LP Jim Morrison 1983 Elektra Records US $5.50 [0 bids]
doors limited edition 2x cd US $84.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
The Better Life by 3 Doors Down (CD, Feb-2000, Universal Distribution) US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Doors - "Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine" - 2 x LP - RSD 2014 #/5500 US $86.00 [6 bids]
DOORS ALIVE SHE CRIED (1983) JAPAN CD 18P2-2691 US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
DOORS SELF-TITLED (1966) S/T WEST GERMANY CD TARGET US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
DOORS STRANGE DAYS (1967) JAPAN CD 32XD-401 US $79.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
DOORS THE BEST OF THE DOORS JAPAN DOUBLE CD 55XD-776/7 US $69.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
THE DOORS ABSOLUTELY LIVE! VINTAGE RARE 8 TRACK TAPE SEALED LATE NITE BARGAIN! US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
the DOORS self titled FIRST 1967 LP Japanese Pressing w/ OBI STRIP Psych Rock US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
1966 MERLE HAGGARD SWINGING DOORS #5 CAPITOL STARLINE 45 RPM RECORD US $2.99 [0 bids]
2h
the DOORS waiting for the sun 1968 LP RARE Japanese Pressing w/ OBI STRIP Psyche US $34.95 Buy It Now 2h 15m
CD Single 3 Doors Down Away From The Sun US $7.64 Buy It Now 2h 57m
CD Single 3 Doors Down Away From The Sun Orange US $7.64 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Forrest Gump [Original Soundtrack] 2 CD SET - ELVIS PRESLEY CCR BOB DYLAN DOORS US $9.44 Buy It Now 3h 33m
The Doors "Live In Hollywood" Rare L / Edition 2002 Elektra CD US $28.11 Buy It Now 3h 42m
The Soft Parade by The Doors (CD, Sep-2012, Elektra (Label)) US $3.25 Buy It Now 3h 43m
THE DOORS**L.A. WOMAN: 7" SINGLES BOX (LIMITED EDITION)**4-VINYL SET US $40.95 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Seventeen Days by 3 Doors Down (CD, Feb-2005, Universal Distribution) US $3.98 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Away from the Sun by 3 Doors Down (CD, Nov-2002, Universal Distribution) US $1.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
THE DOORS - Strange Days ~ VINYL LP US $26.82 Buy It Now 4h 40m
ALISA - Pulse Of Labyrinth's Doors Keeper - RUSSIAN ROCK CD - ????? Kinchev US $9.00 Buy It Now 4h 51m
THE DOORS Absolutely LIVE CD NIKITIN RUSSIA GOLD OBI NEW US $13.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
DOORS -(45)- PEOPLE ARE STRANGE / UNHAPPY GIRL - ELEKTRA RECORDS - EK-45621-1967 US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
The Doors 25th Anniversary Special Radio Show - 1990 US $17.75 Buy It Now 5h 15m
The Doors - L.A.Woman W German Elektra TARGET cd No UPC Jim Morrison Marc Benno US $29.90 Buy It Now 5h 19m
e2669 / CD / HITOSHI WATANABE - TWO DOORS - JAPAN OBI US $3.19 Buy It Now 5h 23m
THE DOORS - RIDERS ON THE STORM / LIGHT MY FIRE 7" OLD GOLD VINYL US $14.39 Buy It Now 5h 38m
The Doors - 13 CASSETTE ELEKTRA MEXICO CSWE-5048 - NEW SEALED ! US $33.00 Buy It Now 5h 42m
THE DOORS "PROMO / NM Wax" Waiting For The Sun Japan Jim Morrison LP e0031 US $319.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
THE DOORS "PROMO / NM WAX" The Soft Parade Japan Press LP E0037 US $319.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
THE DOORS "PROMO / NM WAX" L.A. Woman Japan Press Jim Morrison LP e0030 US $349.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
THE DOORS "PROMO / NM WAX" Absolutely Live! Japan Press OBI 2LP E0022 US $379.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
The Doors - LA Woman (DVD Audio) US $39.82 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Empyria - Behind Closed Doors 1996 Modern Music US $22.00 Buy It Now 6h 21m
The doors weird scenes inside the hollywood bowl feat albert king 5 july 1968 US $39.99 [0 bids]
Rock Roll Music Record ALBUM ~THE DOORS~ Vintage Vinyl Disc LP QUADRAPHONIC 1973 US $44.95 [0 bids]
The DOORS First German Release 1988 - CD US $12.90 Buy It Now 7h 10m
THE DOORS "ABSOLUTELY LIVE" Reissued and Remastered 180GRAM DOUBLE VINYL MINT!!! US $22.88 [0 bids]
THE DOORS star collection volume 1 MID 22 001 german midi 1973 LP PS EX/EX sos US $23.88 Buy It Now 7h 17m
FORREST GUMP - SOUNDTRACK - 2 CD SET - 32 TRACKS, ELVIS PRESLEY, TH BYRDS, DOORS US $6.56 Buy It Now 7h 36m
The Doors Signed 1968 Vinyl Lp John Densmore + Robby Krieger Waiting For The Sun US $399.99 Buy It Now 7h 54m
Classics Of Rock - The Doors - Cassette 1990, Made In Poland, Paper Labels US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 59m
DOORS"WAITING FOR THE SUN" (luminated cover) RUSSIA LP MINT RARE US $25.00 Buy It Now 8h
The Doors RARE Signed 1971 Vinyl Lp John Densmore + Robby Krieger Other Voices US $299.99 Buy It Now 8h 2m
The Doors-Strange Days-'67 Psychedelic Rock-NEW LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 8h 3m
The Doors: Mr. Mojo Risin': The Story of L.A. Woman US $11.99 Buy It Now 8h 11m
3 Doors Down Tribute - Piano Tribute To 3 Doors Down [CD New] US $10.56 Buy It Now 8h 26m
The Doors Strange Days LIKE NEW 1999 Remastered 10 Track CD Jim Morrison US $8.92 Buy It Now 8h 31m
The Doors Morrison Hotel LIKE NEW 1999 Remastered 11 Track CD Jim Morrison US $6.10 Buy It Now 8h 36m
The Doors L.A.Woman (1971) LIKE NEW 1999 Remastered 10 Track CD Jim Morrison US $8.92 Buy It Now 8h 43m
THE DOORS - L.A. WOMAN - VINTAGE CASSETTE - RIDERS OF THE STORM - LOVE HER MADLY US $16.90 Buy It Now 8h 47m
THE DOORS - IN CONCERT [THE DOORS] [CD BOXSET] [2 DISCS] - NEW CD BOXSET US $9.52 Buy It Now 9h
Three Doors Down - Seventeen Days (Dual Disc) (2005) - Used - Compact Disc US $7.21 Buy It Now 9h 3m
The Doors Double LP Set "Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine" From 1972 US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 3m
THE DOORS - LIVE AT THE BOWL '68 - NEW CD ALBUM US $11.00 Buy It Now 9h 22m
The Doors(Vinyl LP Gatefold)Other Voices-Elektra-ELK 42 104-Germany-VG+/VG US $28.99 Buy It Now 9h 30m
THE DOORS Official Merchandise Product TEXTILE FLAG/POSTER - WANTED JIM MORRISON US $13.54 Buy It Now 9h 30m
editors - smokers outside the hospital doors promo cd US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 35m
Grandmaster Flash 45 "Behind Closed Doors / Lies" - Rap US $5.24 Buy It Now 9h 36m
The Doors self-titled Red 1975 Label Elektra Press Near Mint ULTRASONIC Cleaned US $32.00 Buy It Now 9h 44m
THE DOORS "Wild Child/Touch Me" 7" single 1969 Metronome J.27001, Denmark woman US $24.99 Buy It Now 9h 46m
THE DOORS "The Soft Parade" Vinyl LP Elektra US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Better Life by 3 Doors Down (CD, Feb-2000, Universal Distribution) US $1.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Three Doors Down - Greatest Hits (2012) - Used - Compact Disc US $7.87 Buy It Now 10h 9m
Greatest Hits [#1] by The Doors (CD, Oct-1996, Elektra (Label)) US $2.99 Buy It Now 10h 10m
THE DOORS-L.A. WOMAN-JAPAN CD C45 US $18.99 Buy It Now 10h 35m
THE DOORS - The Soft Parade (CD, Sep-2012, Elektra (Label)) US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 46m
THE DOORS - Waiting for the Sun (CD, Jul-2012, Elektra (Label)) US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 46m
Morrison Hotel by The Doors (CD, May-1988, Elektra (Label)) US $1.95 Buy It Now 10h 49m
SPIKE JONES & His City Slickers Behind those swinging doors 78 HMV BD1168 US $22.01 Buy It Now 10h 58m
The Doors by The Doors (CD, May-1988, Elektra (Label)) US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE DOORS (Jim Morrison) Greatest Hits CD Light My Fire, Riders on the Storm US $2.49 [0 bids]
Early Doors - Series 2 [DVD] By Craig Cash,Phil Mealey US $10.01 Buy It Now 11h 7m
The Doors/John Densmore & R. Derakshani, 'Ray of the Wine' CD w/Concert Poster US $45.00 Buy It Now 11h 8m
3 DOORS DOWN - LET ME GO 45 RPM REPUBLIC IMPORT LIMITED PRINT EXCELLENT 2005 US $19.95 Buy It Now 11h 9m
THE DOORS - MORRISON HOTEL LP UK Elektra Psych Ray Manzarek Gatefold SUPERB! US $11.03 [2 bids]
The Doors - Soft Parade (CD 1989) Digitally Remastered US $9.30 Buy It Now 11h 20m
DOORS - Elektra 60269 - Alive, She Cried (unreleased tracks) - SEALED ROCK LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 11h 22m
DOORS Waiting For The Sun 180g Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $35.50 Buy It Now 11h 24m
DOORS - THE SOFT PARADE LP UK Elektra Psych Jim Morrison Gatefold SUPERB! US $12.76 [3 bids]
3 THREE DOORS DOWN ( NEW CD ) AWAY FROM THE SUN (UK EDITION WITH BONUS TRACKS) US $7.57 Buy It Now 11h 34m
THE DOORS cassette tape album MUSIC FROM THE ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE US $15.23 Buy It Now 11h 36m
THE DOORS - STRANGE DAYS LP German Elektra Psych Jim Morrison SUPERB VINYL! US $8.79 [2 bids]
DOORS - Wishful sinful - ITALY P/S in Mint ! US $12.99 [1 bids]
DOORS - Hello, I love you - JAPAN P/S ! US $24.99 [0 bids]
DOORS - Touch me - JAPAN P/S in Mint condition !!! US $24.99 [0 bids]
LOT OF CLASSIC ROCK VINYL RECORDS THE DOORS LP ALBUMS US $12.99 [0 bids]
Dave Mallett Open Doors & Windows Still Sealed LP Maine Folk flying fish US $8.00 Buy It Now 11h 50m
David Mallett 3 LP Lot Self Titled Vital Signs Open Doors And Windows Maine folk US $12.00 Buy It Now 11h 50m

More places to buy THE DOORS music online Buy THE DOORS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE DOORS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE DOORS 13 ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(60%)

THE DOORS 13 reviews

Review by Guillermo
4 stars Despite the band said that they didn`t like that Elektra released compilation albums from them, I consider this "13" album ( titled by the number of songs included in the album) as a very good compilation, one of the best. Even the order of the songs was chosen very well. It has several of my favourite Doors`songs ("People Are Strange", "Moonlight Drive", "The Crystal Ship", "Touch Me", "You`re Lost Little Girl", "Wild Child" and "The Unknown Soldier") plus other songs which are good. I also liked the cover design, which also included in the first editions a inner sleeve with photos of the band taken during "the Miami concert incident", including some of Morrison carrying a lamb given to him by a friend.

This album was released in late 1970, when the band still was playing together, after the release of the "Absolutely Live" album and before the recording of the "L.A. Woman" album. So, this compilation doesn`t include songs from the "L.A. Woman" album, but still it is a very good compilation.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#105708) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 05, 2007

Review by Seyo
3 stars One of the best "greatest hits" collections ever. It contains literally all of the band's hit singles prior to 1970, and it shows nicely the essence of THE DOORS popularity and fame, that at one time matched only that of THE BEATLES. Of course, longer and arguably proggier tracks are missing, but that's not the point. "13" is every teenage kid's ticket to wonderful world of THE DOORS music and psychedelic rock in general. 3,5

Send comments to Seyo (BETA) | Report this review (#106329) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, January 06, 2007

Review by clarke2001
4 stars

Ah, memories...well, I started to listen to The Doors with the excellent compilation "The Best of The Doors" from 1985 (see entry), but this one is sort of a prehistorical value item for my music lover "career". I was attracted by this record while I was 5, it was in my father's collection and I clearly remember the lovely butterfly printed on a vinyl - publisher's logo. But then again, I see that the record was released by Elektra, not Chrysalis; so I my memories might be somewhat mixed. I asked myself why should anyone name a record after an unlucky number 13, and why should anyone name a band after such a silly name: doors. One of my first learned English words (I asked my father). Approximately ten years later, in my teens, the circle completed itself: I (re)discovered The Doors after getting into "The Best of The Doors" compilation, I discovered another one: 13, this time borrowed, home-taped copy from my friend (my father's broken turntable and his collection were long gone by the time).

And in my tender age of 16, I knew this compilation won't fail me. It didn't. It's an excellent selection of Doors' career - even without including any tracks from "L. A. Woman"; the albums was published later. Therefore, the selection is more...delicate, in a way. There are very few low points - boring "Roadhouse Blues" and boring "Hello, I Love You", and that's about it. (hm...I was thinking of those as of a flawless masterpieces back in my teens).

Compilation contains not the greatest hits, but the best works, really. Whoever was doing the selection, he (or she) didn't had any "progressiveness" on mind, but anyway this record is very consistent and focused (which is not often the case with compilations), it's sort of a mid-paced Doors, so to speak, without getting into any musical extremes, but on the other hand, not falling into the trap of collecting the bunch of overplayed pop hits. I'm very glad that "Land Ho" (an excellent song from a weak album), "The Crystal Ship" (underrated gem) and "Moonlight Drive" had found their place among the others.

Yes, this is a neat little record. I'm still loving it (although I don't posses it).

Get this one. Enjoy some good music. Then get everything else.

Send comments to clarke2001 (BETA) | Report this review (#115369) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 16, 2007

Review by Chris H
4 stars The greatest collection of early recordings under one sleeve.

Once again, I am not the biggest fan of collections, especially by bands that I know and understand. Well, this was at a yard sale for $0.50 USD, and I felt like it needed a home. I took it home and it showed me truly how awesome the Doors still were from where I left off. There are a lot of song choices here that one wouldn't normally see on a present-day Doors collection, such as "The Unknown Soldier", "You're Lost, Little Girl" and "Moonlight Drive". The main reason that these songs are on here is because this greatest hits compilation was assembled while the band was still at the top. OK, so what? So that means their album "L.A. Woman" came after this. Nowadays, songs like "L.A. Woman" and "Riders on The Storm" fillt he collections, which makes this an interesting piece to hear what the general consensus of Doors songs were before their groundbreaking "L.A. Woman" album.

As close to 5 stars as a compilation might ever get, very quirky and worth your while. "13" is an awesome compilation!

Send comments to Chris H (BETA) | Report this review (#116285) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 24, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
4 stars This is the first compilation of The Doors. When you look at the tracklist you can certainly not say that their best thirteen songs are featured. But intelligently, it is not called "Best Of", only "13". Most of the songs featured are good of course.

Half of them are even great : "Light My Fire", "People Are Strange", "Touch Me", "Love Me two Times", "Hello, I Love You" and "The Unknown Soldier". But this is only a total of six great songs.

Of course, the format of this compilation (one vinyl album) does not allow the anthems like "The End" or "When The Music's Over".

I guess that at the time, it was a good introduction to the band. Nowadays, I would only recommend "The Best Of Doors" in either the single or double CD packaging. It is truely their best compilation effort (in a compact and cheap format).

This one is useless in comparison. I do not own it as such and I doubt there is a CD version for it. Nonetheless, it is of course a good collection of songs from a very influential band. Four stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#119135) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 20, 2007

Review by Chicapah
3 stars More often than not most telephone conversations with one of my bandmate friends back in the 60s would start with the phrase, "Wait till you hear this album I just bought." Discovering new music was what we lived for. The usual chain of events would be that one of us would've heard something fresh on what was at that time the burgeoning, untamed FM radio format where Top 40 was considered gauche and one was apt to find something radical or progressive, prompting the local word-of-mouth grapevine to sizzle with excitement. On this occasion it was my group's keyboard man, Rick Cramer, who informed me that his most recent discovery, "The Doors," were nothing short of phenomenal. I had learned to rely on his judgment and taste (he later turned me on to Jimi Hendrix) so I had no doubts. The passage of time has not only confirmed Rick's initial glowing assessment but has also cemented the band's place as one of the most influential American combos ever.

January, 1967. Four years had passed since Beatlemania exploded like a bomb and the long-haired, guitar-wielding armies of the British Invasion that followed them ashore had successfully routed our unarmed but bronze-tanned Beach Boy brigade, reclaiming the rebellious colonies of the Queen Mother's empire without a single shot being fired (musically speaking, of course). Four years had elapsed without we Yanks offering anything even close to a comparable counterpart. (And, no, The Monkees don't count. Davy was from Manchester.) Oh, we had the undeniably great Bob Dylan, for sure, but he was an enigmatic solo artist creating his own universe and he didn't belong to anybody, really. There were good east coast bands like The Young Rascals but they were solidly entrenched in traditional R&B sounds. The west coast had The Byrds but their obvious folk and C&W roots marginalized their impact. We had no viable answer. One big reason for this situation was a variation on the biblical adage about prophets being shunned on their own stomping grounds. Another was that, following the shady elimination of JFK, my generation had become so disgusted with the social climate in our homeland that we felt it much safer to trust in music, styles and ideas imported from distant realms, the UK in particular. One- or two-hit state-side wonders were fine and dandy as temporary diversions but we weren't willing to embrace an all-American ensemble as being worthy of unconditional adoration just yet. "Made in the USA" didn't carry much clout with us hippies. We still didn't trust anything homegrown. Not even ourselves.

The opening bang from John Densmore's snare on "Light My Fire" signaled more than just the emergence of yet another garage band with a record deal. The Doors were different. They didn't proclaim that there was a new sheriff in town. On the contrary, they announced that law and order had broken down completely and the rebels and scruffy riff-raff had boldly taken over Main Street. The Doors were non-conformist, definitely anti- establishment and exactly what we'd been waiting for. No more Mr. Nice Guy. The handsome, charismatic Jim Morrison wasn't shy in his singing brazenly about freedom from all rules, seeking uninhibited sex and living a bohemian, devil-may-care existence. To that notion we summarily cried out in our quaint vernacular, "Right on! Where do we sign up?" and the California gold rush was on again. The Doors unwittingly opened the flood gates that made it easier for bands like Jefferson Airplane, Buffalo Springfield, Grateful Dead, Sly & the Family Stone and even the strange Mothers of Invention to find more acceptance within the budding flower child movement. The curse had finally been lifted. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not putting The Doors on the same plateau as the Fab Four or even The Who. No way. I'm just saying that in this egregious L.A.-based quartet we homies found four literate misfits that spoke our language and that aspect alone was a refreshing break-on-through for us.

Problem was, the indulgent, hedonistic mindset that attracted us to them like moths to a hot flame was so damning in nature that it figuratively beheaded the group barely four years after they came onto the scene. Densmore, Manzarek and Krieger were gifted musicians who instinctively knew where to draw the chalk lines but Morrison was the prototype bad boy who couldn't care less about his public image or the moral majority's outrage over his open indulgences in lewd behavior, drink and drugs. The upside of that stance was that we young Brandos thought it "cool." The flip side of that coin was that it systematically eroded the quality of The Doors' music to the point where, of their six studio albums, only their debut and grand finale are exceptional with the four in between containing only glimpses of brilliance. And, tragically, Jim's self-inflicted abuse slowly transformed him from a sly, grinning lizard king Adonis into what critic Lester Bangs called "Bozo Dionysus" and there lies the shame of it all. No matter the spin one applies, their story is very sad.

This LP, "13," is a representation of their first five long-play offerings. I wonder if, as the 70s dawned on western civilization, the suits at Electra could see that the group was sliding down the slippery slope of decline and the label had best try to seize the moment before their waning popularity sank their profitability into red ink oblivion. Top secret corporate news flashes about how things were progressing on album #6 (especially with word coming that their long-time producer, Paul Rothchild, had taken a hike) were not encouraging so it's hard to blame them for issuing a compilation at that juncture. To them the future was uncertain and the end was always near.

From the impressive 1st album they wisely included the full 6:50 rendition of the ground- breaking "Light My Fire," the incredibly intimidating "Back Door Man" and the hauntingly beautiful "Crystal Ship." The above average but slightly uneven "Strange Days" LP is represented well by the poignant and unique "People Are Strange," the dangerous romance of "Moonlight Drive," "You're Lost, Little Girl" with its predatory aura and the carnal plea of "Love Me Two Times." The unfocused "Waiting for the Sun" album earned spots with the banal-but-catchy "Hello, I Love You" and their excellent anti-war anthem, "The Unknown Soldier" with its abstract juxtaposition of obscene brutality and gleeful march music. The disappointing platter that is "Soft Parade" shows up in the form of the big band brashness of "Touch Me" and the hard rock of the superb "Wild Child." Many fans find something to like about "Morrison Hotel" but I'm not one of them so the silly antics of "Land Ho" and the we-can-always-do-a-blues-tune sentiment of the overplayed "Roadhouse Blues" is as suitable as anything else they could've chosen to cull from those dismal Jim's- on-another-bender sessions.

My advice to the progger who desires to own a decent collection of Doors music is to purchase the opening and the closing albums of their career with the irreplaceable icon Mr. Morrison and toss in their sophomore effort to boot because you don't want to miss having the fantastic "When the Music's Over" in your Door jam under any circumstances. Still, if you happen to come across "13" in the used vinyl bins you should probably pick it up because, despite its faults, it accurately reflects the up and down nature of the group's artistic endeavors from '67 to '70. 3.3 stars.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#282637) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, May 19, 2010

4 stars This is the first 'best of' edition by the Doors. It was released in late 1970. I, being the ardent fan that I was, just had to have it. Never mind that I already possessed those songs on other releases, I still had to have that album. The selection is actually quite good for those who aren't t ... (read more)

Report this review (#269370) | Posted by Keetian | Wednesday, March 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE DOORS "13"