DEAD RECKONING

Threshold Dead Reckoning album cover

Buy THRESHOLD Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Slipstream (4:53)
2. This Is Your Life (3:41)
3. Elusive (6:10)
4. Hollow (4:00)
5. Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams (9:44)
6. Fighting For Breath (8:16)
7. Disappear (4:17)
8. Safe To Fly (5:06)
9. One Degree Down (8:33)

Bonus track on special edition digipak release only:
10. Supermassive Black Hole (3:09)

Search THRESHOLD Dead Reckoning lyrics

Search THRESHOLD Dead Reckoning tabs

- Mac / vocals
- Karl Groom / guitars
- Richard West / keyboards
- Steve Anderson / bass
- Johanne James / drums
- Dan Swano / backing vocals (1 & 3)

CD Nuclear Blast 001738 (2007)

Thanks to archivep for the addition
and to Joolz for the last updates

THRESHOLD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THRESHOLD Dead Reckoning Music

Ravages of Time: The Best of ThresholdRavages of Time: The Best of Threshold
Inside Out Music 2007
PsycedelicatessenPsycedelicatessen
Nuclear Blast Int'l 2012
THRESHOLD SHIFT s/t LP 14 track (thresh001) uk private 1992 US $8.51 Buy It Now 29m 42s
The Moody Blues(Vinyl LP Gatefold)Long Distance Voyager-Threshold-TXS 139-UK-Ex/ US $17.04 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE MOODY BLUES LP A QUESTION OF BALANCE THRESHOLD 1ST PRESS 1W VINYL RECORD US $42.65 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Dominion- THreshold US $8.19 Buy It Now 1h 48m
THE MOODY BLUES - ISNT LIFE STRANGE - AFTER YOU CAME 7/45 PORTUGAL THRESHOLD US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
ENDLESS TEARS "Emotion" ORG cd Krakkbrain,Sieges even,Threshold,Shud,Kalisia US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
THE MOODY BLUES - I'M JUST A SINGER - FOR MY LADY 7/45 PORTUGAL THRESHOLD US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 13m
The Moody Blues, On The Threshold Of A Dream LP, DES 18025,Deram, W/ Lyric Book US $9.95 Buy It Now 4h 20m
MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream MFSL Gold CD SS US $480.00 Buy It Now 5h 29m
MOODY BLUES LP- ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM - BELL SOUND! FREE DOMESTIC S US $6.95 Buy It Now 5h 31m
MOODY BLUES LP- ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM - NM! BELL SOUND! FREE DOM. S US $7.95 Buy It Now 5h 32m
The Moody Blues lp This is The Moddy Blues Orig 1974 Threshold dbl gatefold VG+ US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
THE MOODY BLUES Question Threshold 1970 FREE SHIPPING US $25.99 Buy It Now 5h 43m
Moody Blues, This is the Moody Blues Threshold Records 1974 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream - LP Record VG G US $5.99 Buy It Now 5h 55m
Rock 45 THE MOODY BLUES Painted Smile on Threshold US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 10m
Rock 45 THE MOODY BLUES I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock And Roll Band) on Threshold US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 15m
THE MOODY BLUES I'm Just A Singer / For My Lady THRESHOLD 87012 ROCK 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 37m
LITTLE JOE BLUE: Don't Stop Loving Me / Standing On The Threshold JEWEL 799 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 6h 37m
Rock NM! 45 THE MOODY BLUES Gemini Dream on Threshold US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 39m
MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream LP Vinyl VG++ Cover VG+ GF DES 18025 US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Ajalon "On the Threshold of Eternity" CD Randy George **Free Shipping** US $15.99 Buy It Now 7h 5m
Threshold - Critical Mass RARE Promo 2CD Ltd Edt 2002 Inside Out HTF OOP US $9.00 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Question Of Balance EXCEPTIONAL ORIG THRESHOLD WHITE LABEL LP US $5.76 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Long Distance Voyager LP Threshold 1981 First Pressign OOP Gatefold US $7.00 [0 bids]
BLACK FRANCIS UK 2007 ADVANCE PROMO CD Single Threshold Apprehension NearMINT US $5.54 Buy It Now 8h 32m
The Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream - (cassette) US $3.75 Buy It Now 8h 45m
TRAPEZE Self Titled S/T vinyl LP Threshold Records EX promo US $65.00 Buy It Now 9h 53m
LP Album The Moody Blues On The Threshold of a Dream US $0.99 [0 bids]
LP Album The Moody Blues On the Threshold of a Dream US $2.00 [0 bids]
12" - THRESHOLD - BAD TO THE BONE/SUMMERTIME - 1987 Penthouse Records PR 1220 US $2.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues LP Threshold Records,1980's reissue THS-1,To Our Children's Children US $9.99 Buy It Now 10h 47m
LOT 4 MOODY BLUES CD Best of Threshold of a Dream Legend To Our Childrens- EUC! US $35.00 Buy It Now 10h 50m
THE MOODY BLUES On The Threshold of a Dream LP Deram DES 18025 VG+ w/Booklet US $4.99 Buy It Now 10h 50m
Dweller on the Threshold by Woolen (CD, Jan-2010) US $5.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues Vinyl LP Threshold Records,1971 THS 5 Every Good Boy Deserves Favour US $16.99 Buy It Now 11h 40m
THE MOODY BLUES Long Distance Voyager EX condtion threshold TRL-1-2901 LP 1981 US $20.00 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES 19694.88 ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM LP ALBUM US $8.95 [0 bids]
Moody Blues record album On The Threshold of a Dream US $17.50 Buy It Now 12h 20m
MOODY BLUES Question Of Balance LP US orig Threshold THS 3 US $10.98 Buy It Now 12h 25m
THE MOODY BLUES. ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM. GATEFOLD. DERAM/LONDON. 1969. US $4.00 Buy It Now 12h 45m
The Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" 1972 Threshold Lp/ RCA Music Club Edition US $3.99 Buy It Now 13h 11m
Hula "Threshold" 1988 Red Rhino Lp US $3.99 Buy It Now 13h 11m
JUSTIN HAYWARD / JOHN LODGE: Bluejays LP THRESHOLD RECORDS THS4 US 1975 VG+ US $7.10 Buy It Now 13h 17m
Moody Blues "On the Threshold of a Dream" LP 180 gram vinyl, Reissue (Deram) US $39.99 Buy It Now 13h 21m
NICKY JAMES Rock N Roll Jamboree 45 rpm PROMO Threshold US $9.95 Buy It Now 13h 34m
THE MOODY BLUES on the threshold of a dream DERAM LP + BOOKLET Stereo SML 1035! US $34.12 Buy It Now 13h 43m
THE MOODY BLUES seventh sojourn THRESHOLD LP Stereo THS 7! US $34.12 Buy It Now 13h 43m
LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER by THE MOODY BLUES Classic CD Album Threshold 820105-2 US $11.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Seventh Sojourn LP Threshold 1972 w/ Inner Sleeve US $7.95 Buy It Now 13h 47m
MOODY BLUES Long Distance Voyager LP Threshold 1981 US $5.95 Buy It Now 13h 47m
Moody Blues Every Good Boy Deserves Favor 1971 Threshold Records lp 1 owner US $12.00 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Every Good Boy Deserves Favour LP Threshold 1971 w/ Inner Sleeve US $6.95 Buy It Now 14h
THRESHOLD - SPECIAL EDITION MINI LP SEALED VINYL LP US $13.94 Buy It Now 14h 16m
MOODY BLUES Seventh Sojourn CD Threshold 1972/1986 First West Germany Pressing US $19.95 [0 bids]
Vintage The Moody Blues record album "On The Threshold of a Dream" US $25.00 Buy It Now 14h 44m
THE MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM STEREO RECORD ALBUM W/LYRIC BOOKLET US $2.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Caught Live + 5 1st US press Threshold 2LP set US $9.95 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn Threshold THS 7 VG+ US $3.00 [0 bids]
1975 THE GRAEME EDGE BAND - KICK OFF YOUR MUDDY BOOTS 12" LP (VG+) - THRESHOLD US $4.25 [0 bids]
* THRESHOLD - Dead Reckoning 2007 NB US $8.99 Buy It Now 19h 3m
THRESHOLD - MARCH OF PROGRESS NEW CD US $22.09 Buy It Now 19h 11m
Kool Keith Matthew CD Funky Ass Records Threshold Recordings US $8.00 [0 bids]
1975 JUSTIN HAYWARD JOHN LODGE - BLUE JAYS 12" LP (VG) 1ST EDITION - THRESHOLD US $4.25 [0 bids]
Threshold - Critical Mass - CD - (2CD) (SPV/Inside Out Germany 2002) US $18.77 Buy It Now 21h 21m
Wreck Of The Hesperus - The Sunken Threshold CD Doom Metal US $12.99 Buy It Now 21h 35m
THRESHOLD OF PLEASURE Rain, Rain, Rain DECCA 1st Psych 45 7" EX US $64.82 Buy It Now 22h 7m
MOODY BLUES - THRESHOLD OF A DREAM: LIVE AT IOW FESTIVAL 1970 NEW DVD US $24.40 Buy It Now 22h 11m
MOODY BLUES - SEVENTH SOJOURN - UK 1st Press Threshold + insert / UK prog / EX US $14.09 Buy It Now 23h 31m
THE MOODY BLUES. EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR. THRESHOLD. 1971. PROG/ROCK US $2.99 [0 bids]
Michael Pinder - The Promise - Gatefold LP Record/Vinyl Threshold Records THS 18 US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES gemini dream 12" 2 trk test pressing (blue1) uk threshold 1981 US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
LITHIVM Threshold To Disharmony CD Digipak Cold Meat Industry 2003 LTD 1000 LOW US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
LIFELESS - BEYOND THE THRESHOLD OF DEATH NEW CD US $17.07 Buy It Now 1 day
2 MOODY BLUES LP'S: DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED+THRESHOLD OF A DREAM BOTH 1ST PRESS US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Stolen and Contaminated Songs by Coil (CD, Aug-1993, Threshold House) US $20.00 [1 bids]
The Moody Blues,On The Threshold Of A Dream,1969 Deram Press.VG To VG+ Cond. US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Shadow's Symphony- Threshold of Forgotten Souls CD - Halloween Goth US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES this is the moody blues MB1/2 uk threshold DOUBLE LP PS EX/EX US $15.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Best of Moody Blues "Voices In The Sky" - 1985 Threshold Lp 820155 in Shrink US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Moody Blues LP Childrens Childrens Children 1969 WL Threshold Gatefold Inner US $10.00 [0 bids]
TRAPEZE -1971- "Medusa" (Threshold Records/Moody Bluees) 5 STAR per AllMusic.com US $42.22 [0 bids]
RAY THOMAS from mighty oaks THS 16 uk threshold 1975 LP PS EX/EX gatefold sleeve US $15.34 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES LP ALBUM ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM DES-18025 *GREAT SHAPE*(R530) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES TO OUR CHILDRENS CHILDRENS CHILDREN threshold -2W UK oLp +insert US $12.78 Buy It Now 1 day
Circus Maximus - Isolate Dream Theater Symphony X Pagan's Mind Threshold Adagio US $9.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES on the threshold of a dream SML 1035 P3W/P3W uk deram LP PS EX/EX US $21.24 Buy It Now 1 day
The Moody Blues The Present 1983 Threshold 12902 Gatefold Rock Vinyl LP US $11.69 Buy It Now 1 day
The Moody Blues To Our Childrens Children 1968 Threshold THS1 Psych Rock VG+ US $12.59 Buy It Now 1 day
The Moody Blues The Other Side Of Life 1986 Threshold 829179 Rock Vinyl LP VG++ US $13.49 Buy It Now 1 day
RAY THOMAS From Mighty Oaks LP 1975 Threshold orig VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Just Say the Word by Josh Kelley (CD, Aug-2006, Threshold (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Seventh Sojourn Moody Blues Threshold Records vg++ 1 owner Private Collection US $12.00 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream LP - Deram - US $9.49 [0 bids]
WRECK OF THE HESPERUS---THE SUNKEN THRESHOLD CD MOURNFUL CONGREGATION EVOKEN US $3.99 [0 bids]
VINTAGE THE MOODY BLUES, ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM, 33 RPM ALBUM US $7.49 Buy It Now 1 day
HAMMERFALL - THRESHOLD (IMPORT) NEW CD US $31.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Moody Blues/ On The Threshold Of A Dream 1969 / Play Graded VG+ to NM US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Moody Blues - On the Threshold of a Dream LP w/ Lyric Booklet Insert VG+/VG US $3.90 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy THRESHOLD music online Buy THRESHOLD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THRESHOLD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THRESHOLD Dead Reckoning ratings distribution

THRESHOLD Dead Reckoning reviews

Review by The T
3 stars Threshold has been a band that has kept growing with me. The more I hear their better music, the more I like it and the closer they get to become one of my favorite ten bands. The first album that I owned by this band, 2001's HYPOTHETICAL, is still the one I like the most and I consider it a masterpiece (I even gave it a rating of 5 stars). Then I bought SUBSURFACE, which is another excellent album, almost at the same level as the one mentioned before. After that one, I got all the other albums bar their debut, WOUNDED LAND, and I have to say that they make for a very decent progressive- metal song collection. So, it was only obvious that I was awaiting the arrival of the new release, DEAD RECKONING, with high expectations. Now that I've finally listened to it more than three times, is time for me to give my impressions on the music it contains.

I will say it from the start: the album is good but not superb or excellent. I was afraid that the "cycle" that I found with Threshold's albums was going to once again prove to be true, and it did. For me, Threshold's releases always come like this: a great album followed by a lackluster, weaker one. I haven't heard their debut, but from their second CD onwards, this tendency I've discovered in the UK's band's music has been repeated without exceptions. An awful album like PSYCHEDELICATESSEN was followed by a very good album, EXTINCT INSTINCT; then, a rather insipid record like CLONE came about (which has gotten pretty good reviews, though I see it as just an average album); after that one, Threshold's masterpiece, HYPOTHETICAL, then a weak, uninspired effort like CRITICAL MASS, followed by another fantastic achievement like SUBSURFACE, and finally, DEAD RECKONING, which, although still a enjoyable experience, is nowhere near the level of its predecessor.

My biggest complaint about DEAD RECKONING is that the band seemed to have preferred heaviness just for the sake it, leaving melody out to dry. There are too many very-heavy riffs in DEAD RECKONING that at times make for a repetitive, difficult experience to swallow. Threshold's music has always been riff-heavy, but in their latest release they've taken this characteristic to the level of exclusivity, excluding melody from the final musical formula. Another aspect that I don't like so much about this recording is the lack of truly memorable songs. Whereas HYPOTHETICAL had true metal anthems like "Light and Space" or "Narcissus", EXTINCT had "Eat the Unicorn" and SUBSURFACE had "Mission Profile" or "the Art of Reason", the new material lacks a piece that can really stand at the same level with the likes of those fantastic tracks. I've always been quite a fan of Threshold's "anthemic" choruses, (a feature that turns many people away from the band), and in the new album the choruses lack the inspiration, the grandiosity, the epic feeling that many of them had in previous releases. A third element that I don't agree with in DEAD RECKONING is how the keyboards have been cast aside from the final mix; they are still there, but they aren't here anymore. That's pretty weird considering that Richard West, the keyboard player, is the main composer of the songs for the album.

A word about the growling. Well, better yet, a question about the growling: what's the point?!? I know there are no more than 6 or 8 total sentences sung in that style here, but they still feel oddly misplaced, completely absurd, and totally forced. I don't understand the reason why Threshold decided to have Swano growl a couple of verses in the album, and I think I never will. At least it's so unnoticeable that it doesn't harm the record that much. But at the same time, if it happened more often throughout the record, it would feel less awkward, more natural.

Slipstream (9/10) Without doubt the best track on the album. The main riff is very heavy, sounds like Dream Theater from TRAIN OF THOUGHT-meets-Metallica. Before the chorus we have the oddly-placed growling by Dan Swano, and after the pre- chorus, a great chorus that almost reminds us of the anthems of the past. An energetic, powerful song.

This Is Your Life (8/10) A very fast, short, dynamic song that packs a heavy punch. The chorus is good, but the main riff is a little bit too commonplace. Good song.

Elusive (7/10) Now this song is not really bad but the start is just weak, with uncalled- for growling and noise. The main verse's riff is, again, too mundane. The chorus is decent, but too un-conclusive, too un-epic, too-superficial. An average song.

Hollow (8/10) The continual onslaught of metal keeps on coming, yet in this song some of the elements of old Threshold re-surface, like MELODY, at least in the chorus; and the keyboards re-appear after being in limbo for more than 10 minutes. I just have to applaud Mac, an underrated singer whose voice may be somewhat of an acquired taste for many (at times it sounds too "hair-metal" if you get what I mean), but with time and listening to it closely, it reveals a deep, powerful energy and passion, something that helped the band make up for the lost of master-singer Damian Wilson. A good song.

Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams (7/10) Threshold's long tracks have always been their strong point, from "Eat the Unicorn" to "Ravages of Time", they have always been my favorite. But, sadly, this time around they've turned out to be the weakest link in the release. This track starts quietly, in an almost AOR vein. A plane's engine signals the start of the metal attack. The riff is nothing to write your confused friend in the island about, but then the pre-chorus seems to be the gate to a magnificent chorus like those of old. The real chorus is not that memorable, but it works. Too uninspired an epic to be given a true great rating. REO

Fighting For Breath (6.5/10) guitars screaming in high pitch, then a very heavy riff, nothing new. Mechanized voices by Mac who sounds strangely similar to LaBrie for a few seconds. Then the marching chorus, it has energy but lacks bright. I can't believe this but here we have an 8+ minute song by Threshold that actually BORED me.

Disappear (6.5/10) Just some piano and strings. Then the main riff is interesting but not too melodic. Another run-of-the-mill chorus, lacking any creativity. Not a brilliant track.

Safe To Fly (8/10) The beginning of the song doesn't sound particularly original, but this is a good track. The chorus is almost memorable, if a little too REO-Speedwagon-ish at times.

One Degree Down (6.5/10) The first riff of this song is powerful and heavy but also interesting, at last. But then the main riff is too DT-like. When I first heard this album I kept expecting this one to be the track that reminded me of the epics of previous albums, but that didn't happen. The chorus is weak, forced, sounds a little awkward. Incredible: another boring 8+ minute song by Threshold, something that was unthinkable of in all the preceding albums.

All in all, some decent tracks make this an enjoyable experience, a good metal album but nothing great or spectacular. The problem is that it lacks inspiration, it lacks the luminosity that its predecessor had.

Recommended for: Threshold fans, specially those who like CRITICAL MASS, as this album sounds very much like that one; progressive-metal fans that like their music to sound very heavy-metal and not too progressive.

Not recommended for: Threshold fans looking for HYPOTHETICAL PT. 2, people that don't like metal in general. This is not a fantastic album, it's just slightly above average.

. But, according to my diagram, the next album should be great, so let's keep up the hopes for that.

Send comments to The T (BETA) | Report this review (#120459) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Review by progrules
4 stars I got interested in Threshold in the time Damion Wilson was the singer of the band. I thought he was an outstanding vocalist and of course there was also Karl Groom, one of the best guitarists around. When Mac entered the band the sound of the band changed but I can't say they got any worse, they got more accessible thanks to him in my believe. Every credit to the other band members by the way, f.i. Johanne James is a fantastic drummer. Threshold has become a very mature and entertaining band through the years, no doubt one of the best in the prog metal scene especially where quality is concerned.

The last 10 years I always look forward to their next release and they rarely disappoint me, you could say never. It's the same with this one, Dead Reckoning. I don't know how they do it every time, writing these very melodic, often brilliant compositions. They have found a formula the last 5 albums or so that appears to work perfectly and I can't say it's starting to get boring or anything like that, I can't get enough of it. As usual I mostly focus on the longer tracks to build my judgement upon and also in this case it turns out to be the right strategy. Though the shorter songs are not bad at all, Elusive, One Degree down, Fighting for Breath and especially Pilot in the Sky of Dreams are more than excellent. Again: how do they do it ? It just gets better and better with these guys. The Pilot-song is a good example I can not describe how good it is, I will be running out of superlatives over this song. I usually love the instrumental parts of songs, I am even a supporter of instrumental songs, but in this case Mac does an unbelievable job in the vocal part of "Pilot", the melody is simply fantastic. I think this has to be their best song ever.

It almost brings me to giving this album 5 stars, but it's actually 4.4 so I have to stick with 4 stars (almost masterpiece !).

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#146650) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Review by Prog-jester
3 stars Holy God, I thought, this is METAL! I prepared my head for the heaviest headbanging I ever experienced, but unfortunately it all sapped after few songs. THRESHOLD have never been favourits of mine, but they were at least good. This time, even after numerous listenings, I could hardly remember any song except for opening "Slipstream" (a good one indeed!)...just some choruses...riffs...and nothing more. The whole idea is simply disappearing among these tracks, there are too many cliches and forgetable bits to keep the point. Or maybe this is only me who tired from "traditional" Prog Metal. After all, this is an album that can be easily missed, non-essential for sure, but Prog-Metal fans and THRESHOLD admirers may care. 2 and 2/3 stars rounded to 3

Send comments to Prog-jester (BETA) | Report this review (#154459) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, December 06, 2007

3 stars 3.5 stars. I feel that from the "Subsurface" album right up to this one that they have kept the same formula. Riff laden with soaring vocals and lots of crunch. Most prefer these later albums as witnessed by the ratings, but I like the earlier less polished, less predictible albums like "Clone" , "Pshychedelicatessen" and "Extict Instinct". They have added some guest growling courtesy of Dan Swano on this album for two tracks. Honestly though in my opinion they do nothing to make it better or worse, they're a non-factor.

"Slipstream" has a great intro of crunchy riffs as Mac comes in, those growly vocals follow. Best part of the song is the guitar solo that starts 2 1/2 minutes in. "This Is Your Life" sounds best early in the song during the first minute. I just like his more laid back vocals and the guitar. "Elusive" opens with some nasty guitar. Nice. It becomes uptempo with riffs. More growls in this one. Excellent guitar after 3 minutes. "Hollow" is heavy to open but it settles down quickly unfortunately. It does kick back in later.

"Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams" opens with reserved vocals and piano. It becomes fuller around 2 minutes but then lightens again. The guitar is great 5 1/2, 7 & 8 1/2 minutes in. "Fighting For Breath" again has a terrific intro with riffs galore to follow. Nice guitar solo before 4 minutes. We can hear synths only 5 minutes in as reserved vocals come in as it builds. The guitar from the intro is back 6 1/2 minutes in. "Disappear" opens with piano and synths. The guitar sounds incredible throughout. "Safe To Fly" is dark to begin with as riffs come in. The chorus is pretty amazing. "One Degree Down" is heavy to open but it calms down when the vocals arrive. Great section of guitar before 3 1/2 minutes.

I have yet to hear a THRESHOLD record I think is below average, they're all good to excellent. I think the fact Mac has now left is actually a good thing, because they need a singer with more character in his vocals if you know what I mean.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#177387) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 19, 2008

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'Dead Reckoning' - Threshold (6/10)

There's something about 'Dead Reckoning' that makes it seem like an archetype of a typical commercial album. The music itself isn't commercial in itself; although there are melodic choruses and a concentration on riffs, there's a certain progressive sense to rob it of any commercial labelling. It's the album itself, and there are things on it I identify with alot of other mediocre albums.

First off, there are only a handful of good songs on the album; the rest are passable but ultimately forgettable. The album (like so many pop records) starts off with the most memorable and powerful song, 'Slipstream.' After my first listen of 'Dead Reckoning,' this was the only song I could consciously remember. After a few listens, other songs, such as 'This Is Your Life' and 'Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams' started bearing fruit, but it all started with the first song.

Another aspect of 'Dead Reckoning' that detracts from a great rating is that it has a rather weak second side. With many pop records, the act of putting all of the 'good' songs on the first half of the record is intentional; the average consummer will only get through the first half or so when listening to an album. With a progressive album however, this wouldn't be expected. Progressive music listeners are notorious for taking an album in as a whole.

The weak tracks on the album (there's a fair number of them) aren't bad compositions, but just boring for the most part. As pop compositions would go, they would be great because most of the songs have really kicking choruses and hooks. On the flipside, almost all of the songs on here (even the good ones) conform to generic songwriting formula (verse-verse- chorus etc.) which is not a good thing in a prog listener's eye.

Threshold are a great band to listen to if you want something heavy, progressive, but melodic and catchy enough to keep it fun. Keeping that in mind, 'Dead Reckoning' fulfills that call for the most part. The album never sinks too low to the point of being unlistenable, but very rarely to the point of true inspiration. A good album to put on once in a while, but 'Dead Reckoning' will not be a staple of your music library.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#230140) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Review by jampa17
3 stars An average album... good riffs... good lead vocals... nothing more...

Finally I can write a review without the word "great" on the headline... This is my first time I've heard this band... and even when you can really enjoy some pasages from some songs, at the end is kind of a record of chessy-pop-metal songs with some keyboards... and that's it...

Well... the players are very good and the singer has enough voice to make it listenable... maybe there's nothing wrong here... but as a prog fan, I spect to be surprise or maybe that the song could have a twist here or there... and this album is quite streight to the point... so I can hear this album, I've hear it many times and as I have a good time listening to it, I feel like it doesn't leave too much after the album ends...

This album is good for a regular mainstream metal fan... and is ideal to power metal fans... cause it's too chessy for my taste... but I repeat... I like the album... maybe 4 songs are really good but is not for their progressive moments.. this is mainstream metal... So, if you think you can like that -I know I can, not too much but still enjoy it- give it a try... I'm curious... if the other albums are like that or really offer more to the prog fans... cause I've seen some reviews some dare to call them the "UK Dream Theater"... but that's too much for this guys... at least, this album doesn't reflect that proclaim....!!! no even close, 3 star is fair...!!!

Send comments to jampa17 (BETA) | Report this review (#243752) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, October 09, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Dead reckoning is their eight studio album from 2007. Threshold needed 3 years to release this album and to tell the truth is not better then the predecesors, but not weak either. Something worth mentioning is that Threshold has albums with a constant quality, I mean every single album is good and has something to offer, one of those bands from progressive metal that realy knows to make the listner glad avery time he finishes an Threshold album. This band don't have highs and lows, Threshold has only highs from the beggining, well of course their albums never reaches the masterpiece status in my opinion, but for sure all are good, some of them great and worth investigated by everybody intrested in good music. Dead reckogning is again well made with tipycal Threshold sound, nice vocal parts made Mac Dermott, he's final studio album with them after all, pitty he was a great key to Threshold music. All the pieces stands as good, not a weak moment here, the two pieces Sleapstrem and Elusive where is invited legendary Dan Swano from Edge of Sanity are well constructed and give a special atmosphere to the album, a little more diversivity in their music was needed because their last 2 albums beggining to sound a little dated and monotonous. In the end another typical Threshold album, nothing more nothing less, a good album that desearve 3 stars, but nothing realy impressive either. Every musican did a great job here, is clear that they know bussines in progresssive metal, Karl Groom's guitar is again crunchy and yet very melodic when needed, excellent guitarist, but far away in popularity then John Petrucci, wonder why???? Even is a 3 star album Threshold remeins one of my fav bands from this sugenre, quite less popular then other acts but with a lot of potential, still they haven't run dry after more then 15 years of career.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#245153) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 18, 2009

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars Since releasing the excellent Hypothetical album back in 2001 Threshold have struggled to release anything that's its equal (or better). Instead they've had a run of good prog metal albums that have some fantastic moments but fall short in consistency. Dead Reckoning I'm afraid doesn't alter that trend.

There's no doubting the talent of the band who are all fine musicians and Mac's vocals are as great as ever but I think they need to take a step back and look at what made Hypothetical so special. For me it was where they got the balance just right between powerful riffs that still retained a strong hook, the keyboards had more space to shine and the melodies were fantastic. No doubt in an effort to reach a larger audience the guitars here often sacrifice melody for a more up to date less tuneful but heavier approach in an attempt to compete with the newer kids on the block. This assumption is bore out by opener Slipstream, which to be honest is pretty good but they introduce the use of death metal style growling in places which is most unwelcome and adds nothing of worth.

The first great moment comes on the third track Elusive, which despite also having some death metal style vocals is forgiven because it's such a strong riff and has an immediately catchy chorus as well as a fine instrumental break with guitars and keyboards sharing centre stage equally.

Although Threshold don't go for twenty minute epics there's always at least one track on each album around the ten minute mark where they can stretch out a bit more. The first of the longer tracks here is Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams which fortunately is another high point. From a ballad style beginning it picks up pace into heavier territory. Mac's melodic vocals are a high point as well as Richard West's keyboard work, including a powerful solo having more space and there's still room for a melodic Karl Groom guitar solo. Of the two other longer tracks One Degree Down is the better with its mid pace Zeppelin/Kashmir style riff and more classic Threshold instrumental workouts. Safe To Fly also deserves a special mention, one of the shorter songs but having a fantastic riff as well as the strongest piece on a melodic level. More moments like this and they could have been onto a real winner.

Not long after releasing Dead Reckoning vocalist Mac announced he was leaving the band. As much as he'll be missed I was pleased to see the return of Damian Wilson who sang on Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct, their first and third albums respectively. Despite this being a good, even very good and occasionally excellent in places release it would be nice to think that Wilson's return may bring some of the qualities that made their earlier albums special more upfront.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#263879) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Dead end

Dead Reckoning is, at the time of writing, the latest studio release from Threshold. It is also the last album they will ever do with Andrew "Mac" Dermott on vocals as he tragically passed away recently. As such, this album constituted the end of the Mac-era that lasted for more than ten years and produced five good studio albums (including the present one). There is a new studio album currently in the making that will feature original Threshold vocalist Damian Wilson. With all the respect for Mac, I must say that I greatly prefer the early Threshold albums and especially those two that featured Wilson (Extinct Instinct and Wounded Land). So I am naturally excited about the upcoming new album.

But what then about Dead Reckoning? Well, I have criticized the previous three Mac-era albums (Subsurface, Critical Mass, and Hypothetical) for being a bit too similar to each other and too closely following an established formula. Dead Reckoning at least partly shows some desire to break away from this formula and introduce some new elements. As such it is a more interesting album than the previous three. It is a little bit more aggressive and energetic. The growling vocals by guest Dan Swan on two tracks certainly created some controversy. I am not personally a fan of that kind of singing, but it is kept very discrete and adds a new touch to Threshold's sound.

The highlight for me is the excellent Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams that occasionally sounds a bit like Queen with tasteful piano-led passages and a strong vocals from Mac. This almost ten minute long track is, in my opinion, the best individual track the band has produced since Mac joined the band--if not ever! But the rest of the material here is not bad either, though some tracks feel formulaic.

Another good Threshold album, but far from the best

RIP Mac

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#294614) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 15, 2010

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars After being floored by the masterful recent 2012 album "March of Progress", I eagerly sat down to be mesmirised by more of Threshold's power metal with astonishing musicianship and awesome vocals. Unfortunately "Dead Reckoning" does not measure up at all. This album does have some excellent songs but are not as consistently masterful as their latest album. It is sad that vocalist Mac passed away after this album, as he has incredible range and injects real power into the songs. It is hard not to be moved when I hear him sing "This is your life, this is your world and everything that you've been trusted with is small in your eyes". I could have done without the annoying growls of Dan Swano that thankfully was only on two tracks. His interjections are worse that Mike Portnoy growling with Dream Theater.

Let's talk about the songs themselves. It begins with the uplifting riffer 'Slipstream', a real fiery opener, then moves to more mainstream sounds on melodic 'This is Your Life', and 'Elusive', that has a strong riff from Groom with Mac's wonderful vocals, and especially features extended lead and keyboard tradeoffs. Nothing though so far is outstanding, just decent melody driven songs and some nice instrumental breaks.

'Hollow' is one of the shorter tracks, beginning with haunting atmospheres, piano and breaking out into melodic heavy rock. The harmonies in the chorus are easy on the ears, but I love about this are the rasping riffs and the memorable chorus. It is the first shining moment on the album that just jumps out, although it is nowhere as heavy as the other tracks.

Time for a prog epic and it comes with 'Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams' clocking almost ten minutes. It begins with a slow measured temp and more heartfelt vocals, very sad knowing Mac is no longer with us. The lead guitar break is soaring and replete with Groom's stirring string bends. The pace quickens with a new time sig, and the lyrics are emotional, "can you promise me the world and everything I need, so it's safe for me to fly." The keyboard takes off into full flight and is followed by strong melodic vocals and incessant riffs. This is a definitive highlight on this album.

'Fighting For Breath' continues in the same vein, lengthy and melodic with some heavy riffs. The vocoder vox are cool, and the harmonies on "don't you stop me now" remind me of Queen. Again this has a great keyboard solo but it is cut off before it goes anywhere in the creative department. The lead guitar to follow is better though. I think the band are far better when they are allowed to just launch into jams and lengthy instrumental breaks. Eventually the music settles into a lulling ambience which is dreamy, and joined by some gentle vocals. The ending is an instrumental freakout and certainly makes this another highlight.

'Disappear' follows that is profoundly sad knowing the fate of the singer. It launches with heavy riffs and locks into a choppy rhythm. The lyrics, "mesmirise, purify, close my eyes, till I find the door, and you let me in," have a sense of melancholy power. The lead break is soulful and moves into some inspired melodies.

'Safe To Fly' is driven by symphonic keys and power chords. The verses are delivered gently along a sea of reverb clean guitar. The lyrics are potent, "Sometimes I think I'm going nowhere at all, stuck in the shelter with my back to the wall, so I'm taking my time and I'm not going out until it's safe to fly." This is nice song with infectious melody and resonates with me due to the lyrics and the way it is structured.

'One Degree Down' closes the album with 8 and a half minutes of heavy prog. The riffs crash in immediately in the intro sounding like Dream Theater then it moves to a jumpy rhythm. Mac sounds vibrant as usual, and the melodies are strong leading to a chorus hook.

Overall the album tends to get better the deeper in we go, but it is not really a consistent effort, with only a few songs that are as good as anything on "March of Progress". In any case, it is a decent metal album, worth a listen but I know Threshold are capable of so much better and I will continue to go through their back catalogue as I am really impressed with this band.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#848136) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 01, 2012

5 stars 9/10 While many will complain that this album is just "more of the same", I found here an experience as rewarding as in his earlier works. What hurts me is knowing that this was the last album with Mac, who would leave the band a year ahead, and died in 2011, unfortunately. The album start ... (read more)

Report this review (#977169) | Posted by voliveira | Thursday, June 13, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is excellent , tight, well-constructed prog-metal. It has the usual ingredients of heavy guitar riffs, exotic keyboards and plenty of solos. What Threshold have in addition, is strong melodic vocal lines rather than tuneless growls and these are excellently performed by Mac. (Is there a b ... (read more)

Report this review (#265060) | Posted by dmwilkie | Tuesday, February 09, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Dead Reckoning is the most recent release of which is considered the top band from British progressive metal scene (at least I think so). Now with this new album, Threshold have given new touches to their already well known sound (got it totally on its fullness in 2001 with Hypothetical), but al ... (read more)

Report this review (#174398) | Posted by Epsilon | Wednesday, June 18, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars It has been suggested that this is more a metal album than it is prog. I think that is true of the last few albums by Threshold each being very melodic and quite accessible metal. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but I think it's placing Threshold in danger of stagnating. Anyway, this is a go ... (read more)

Report this review (#140295) | Posted by scarista | Monday, September 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Threshold had me worried when said that their new album would feature death growls yet an even more accessible sound. These two factors, to me sounded terrible. Subsurface was almost a pop album and bar Opeth I greatly dislike death metal growls. Being a long-time fan though I went ahead and bou ... (read more)

Report this review (#137088) | Posted by shininglight | Saturday, September 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars First I'd like to point out that Threshold album can minimum get 5 stars for no matter the release their music presents the highest degree of composing responsibility and on contrary to most of the bands it never just tells one story but directs to essential values in our lives and plays a rol ... (read more)

Report this review (#119294) | Posted by Threshold | Saturday, April 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Dead Reckoning is fantastic progmetal album. From start to end full of strong songs, including cover Supermassive Black Hole (Muse) on limited edition digipack (with nice cover). There are some energic shorter songs (Elusive, Slipstream) and some more prog oriented (One Degree Down, Fighting For ... (read more)

Report this review (#118197) | Posted by Pegas | Thursday, April 12, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Threshold always knew how to mix melody with metal in a technical prog way. They are masters of this. And they are back for more. First songs provide a simpler form and still with heavy, maybe heavier than before riffs. The brush strokes of growling vocals is an interesting addition. In track 3 ... (read more)

Report this review (#117803) | Posted by Sophocles | Tuesday, April 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Here is it, one of most interesting albums out in 2007. I've never listened to Threshold, only 5-6 listens to Subsurface that had not interested me too much. Dead Reckoning is a good album, no doubt. Music has quality and songs are catchy. More heavy metal than progressive, however. It starts wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#113408) | Posted by 3run3r | Saturday, February 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I should admit that, Critical Mass was the first album I listened from these guys. It is a nice album. Easy to listen, not so heavy but a very guitar oriented album. There are not so many inspiring guitar solos but heavy overdriven guitar is where it should be. This is an ordinary Threshold album ... (read more)

Report this review (#113049) | Posted by | Wednesday, February 21, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is a difficult review...why? Because it's METAL, with a twist of prog. It's a very strong album, but no different then the previous records. Everything fits, and the growls on track 1 & 3 are not that disturbing. So is there no comparisment? Well, maybe a little AYREON vocals, but the mus ... (read more)

Report this review (#111600) | Posted by Ht LICHAAM | Sunday, February 11, 2007 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Finally its here... I have waited for "Dead Reckoning" really long time and I was hungry as a wolf to listen to a new Threshold album. I think its useless to describe every single song here because everyone is something special but together they create a very solid and powerful complex. I mu ... (read more)

Report this review (#110856) | Posted by archivep | Tuesday, February 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Ok. We've got a new album from THRESHOLD. Slipstream, the first song starts en force. It sounds like a bad version of THRESHOLD. And then comes the death growl. Ooook. What in the world happened to our ol' good masters that created "Hypothetical" and "Critical Mass"? The first chorus doesn't s ... (read more)

Report this review (#110757) | Posted by vastila | Monday, February 05, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THRESHOLD "Dead Reckoning"