HOMMAGE SYMPHONIQUE

Erik Norlander Hommage Symphonique album cover

Buy ERIK NORLANDER Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Conquistador (4:08)
2. Sir Lancelot and the Black Knight (7:20)
3. Turn of the Century (7:38)
4. Pirates (13:32)
5. Clasp (4:51)
6. King of the Universe (7:09)
7. Children of Sanchez Overture (9:24)
8. Starless (12:04)

- David Schiff / woodwinds
- Mike Alvarez / cello
- Jon Papenbrook / trumpets, flugelhorns
- Eric Jorgensen / trombones

CD Quantum Records (2007)

Thanks to TheProgtologist for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

ERIK NORLANDER MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ERIK NORLANDER Hommage Symphonique Music

Seas of OrionSeas of Orion
CD Baby 2005
ThresholdThreshold
Kinesis Records 1999
Promo CD: Erik Norlander - The Galactic Collective / Prog Rock RARE Preview Copy US $27.95 Buy It Now 52m 36s
ERIK NORLANDER MUSIC MACHINE DOUBLE CD LIMITED EDIT.DIGIPACK (USA SHIPPING 10$) US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h 34m
Into the Sunset/Erik Norlander/Lana Lane/Asia/Japan cd US $40.00 Buy It Now 6h 57m
LANA LANE "Best Of 1995-1999" CD ERIK NORLANDER Japan US $16.99 [0 bids]
Erik Norlander - Into the Sunset JAPAN CD OBI SEALED K194 US $16.99 [0 bids]
Erik Norlander Into the Sunset Japan CD US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Erik Norlander - Stars Rain Down 2004 CD Japan OBI MICP-10467 Lana Lane US $30.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Erik Norlander - Hommage Symphonique CD US $19.95 Buy It Now 5 days
ERIK NORLANDER - THRESHOLD [LIMITED] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $17.16 Buy It Now 6 days
ERIK NORLANDER 'Hommage Symphonique' 2006 CD (Progressive Rock) US $10.60 Buy It Now 8 days
Erik Norlander : Threshold (2CDs) (2008) US $22.84 Buy It Now 8 days
ERIK NORLANDER - Hommage Symphonique, CD Think Tank Media 2006 Brand NEW Sealed US $9.00 Buy It Now 9 days
ERIK NORLANDER - HOMMAGE SYMPHONIQUE CD NEW & SEALED US $14.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Erik Norlander - Hommage Symphonique [CD New] US $15.25 Buy It Now 10 days
ERIK NORLANDER - HOMMAGE SYMPHONIQUE NEW CD US $23.96 Buy It Now 10 days
ERIK NORLANDER - THE GALACTIC COLLECTIVE - NEW CD BOXSET US $36.18 Buy It Now 11 days
ERIK NORLANDER - HOMMAGE SYMPHONIQUE - TTMD1052 US $20.80 Buy It Now 12 days
Hommage Symphonique * by Erik Norlander (CD, Dec-2006, CD Baby (distributor)) US $13.03 Buy It Now 12 days
ERIK NORLANDER MUSIC MACHINE CD DOUBLE CD - 22 TRACKS (2003) CANADIAN US $24.47 Buy It Now 13 days
ERIK NORLANDER - HOMMAGE SYMPHONIQUE * [802610105225] - NEW CD US $12.27 Buy It Now 15 days
ERIK NORLANDER Threshold 2CD PROG Rocket Scientists US $18.99 Buy It Now 15 days
ERIK NORLANDER Into The Sunset (1 Bonus Track) JAPAN CD New LANA LANE US $21.99 Buy It Now 16 days
ERIK NORLANDER - THE GALACTIC COLLECTIVE: LIVE IN [REGION 2] NEW DVD BOXSET US $31.38 Buy It Now 18 days
Live in St. Petersburg by Erik Norlander (DVD, Sep-2014, 2 Discs, United... US $18.95 Buy It Now 19 days
Hommage Symphonique * by Erik Norlander (CD, Jun-2014, CD Baby (distributor)) US $18.95 Buy It Now 19 days
ERIK NORLANDER : THE GALACTIC COLLECTIVE Live in Gettysburg DVD + 2 CD SEALED US $30.16 Buy It Now 19 days
NEW Hommage Symphonique * by Erik Norlander (CD) US $22.43 Buy It Now 22 days
ERIK NORLANDER - THRESHOLD (781207102024) - NEW CD US $18.43 Buy It Now 22 days
Live in St. Petersburg Erik Norlander CD US $14.47 Buy It Now 24 days
Live in St. Petersburg by Erik Norlander (DVD, Sep-2014, 2 Discs, United... US $14.98 Buy It Now 24 days
Erik Norlander - The Galactic Collective (dvd + 2cd) NEW DVD US $38.58 Buy It Now 25 days
ERIK NORLANDER Threshold (2 CD SET) NEW/NO RESERVE US $17.50 Buy It Now 25 days
Erik Norlander - The Galactic Collective (Music CD) US $48.05 Buy It Now 26 days
Erik Norlander - The Galactic Collective (Live In Gettysburg) (Music CD) US $48.05 Buy It Now 26 days
Hommage Symphonique * by Erik Norlander (CD, Jun-2014, CD Baby (distributor)) US $23.97 Buy It Now 26 days
Erik Norlander - Live in St. Petersburg (Live Recording/+2DVD, 2008) US $19.67 Buy It Now 27 days
NEW Erik Norlander & Friends - Live In St. Petersburg (DVD) US $23.30 Buy It Now 27 days
@ CD Erik Norlander - Into The Sunset / TRANSMISSION RECORDS 2000 AYREON US $9.99 Buy It Now 29 days
ERIK NORLANDER Stars Rain Down JAPAN RARE CD OBI SEALED US $19.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Erik Norlander : Threshold CD (1999) US $10.00 Buy It Now 29 days

More places to buy ERIK NORLANDER music online Buy ERIK NORLANDER & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ERIK NORLANDER DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ERIK NORLANDER Hommage Symphonique ratings distribution

ERIK NORLANDER Hommage Symphonique reviews

Review by Windhawk
4 stars A cover album.

Cover albums can be good stuff, but most often isn't. This one? At least it's somewhat of an original take on the concept.

8 different songs from 8 different artists, to some extent rearranged if my ears doesn't decieve me. All of the songs here to a greater or lesser extent is played as by an orchestra (good synth work, plus some added instruments), which certifies that the take on the tunes is somewhat different from the originals.

And it works on most songs as well. My overall feel for the album is to give it a rating between 3 and 4 stars - upping the score for a slightly original take on the old cover album thingy.

Oh, musical style: Synth heavy, no regular guitars (but NS/Stick and bowed gtr), contrabass, regular drums. Some brass and stuff in most tracks. Don't know what to call that mix - art rock perhaps?

Personal highlight: Children of Sanchez Overture - after the first 3 somewhat bland minutes, we get 6 minutes of latino prog fireworks Santana couldn't have done better.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#115659) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, March 19, 2007

Review by lor68
3 stars Well usually I don't like any tribute album introducing a classing symphonic rock genre like this one, especially as I'm fond of such a classic and new experimental symphonic progressive music in the vein of bands such as After Crying or Isildurs Bane. Moreover - as a fun of the old Yes - I've been very curious listening to another different version of "Turn of the Century", which actually can be another bad emulation...naturally I'm still just a little bit perplex about the present music project, nevertheless you can find some interesting passages within, by forgetting the performance of the bass player as well as the oddest vocal break through, sometimes strident in a couple of songs... of course it's not an hard rock album and the style of the vocalist is closer to that style, but at the end you can appreciate the honest approach by Erik and for me that's enough!

Make your own choice!

Send comments to lor68 (BETA) | Report this review (#126649) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 24, 2007

Review by Gatot
3 stars Are we in a wrong direction?

It's just a logical question I pose to all of you about where the today's prog music is heading. The chief reason is this: I have just posted a review on Jordan Ruddess "The Road Home" couple of weeks ago and in a matter of days my prog colleague Rizal Prasetijo added his views on this masterpiece album. And now, I am spinning for the fourth time the "Hommage Symphonique" by ERIK NORLANDER. The similarity between these two albums is very obvious : both of them are making their trip to the past by delivering songs made by legendary bands from ELP to ELO. And - I don't know whether or not this is coincidence - the two albums referring the same call of the past says music with something about "home". So then I ask that question: Are in a wrong direction, musically, with prog music development?

Why?

The term "home" can mean something about being "cozy" or "feel comfortable with" or something like that. Do these two albums deliver similar message that Jordan and Erik feel at home with legendary music? Or it can mean something that these two musicians have gauged the recent developments of prog music which have made them not happy with it (in a wrong direction?) so that they want to send a strong message to prog audience that we should all come back to the root? Back to basic? This is something important that I need to ask you, to "think about it".

So let's talk about this Hommage by Mr Norlander ..

First off, I was extremely happy when I spun this album for the first time. First, the collection of songs reminded me that I should remind all of those great tracks from Procol Harum, Jethro Tull, Yes, etc. Second, it reminded me that some tracks that initially I did not put as my favorite is in fact included by Norlander right here. A good example is "Clasp" by Jethro Tull. I had never paid attention to this track and I just considered it as "good but not essential" track. But, how come Mr. Norlander likes it? It makes me more curious about the track and I spun the original version due to listening to this tribute album.

Third, this album really cheers me up because I like another version of masterpiece "Conquistador" by Procol Harum, "Sir Lancelot and the Black Knight" by Rick Wakeman. These two tracks are really wonderful. In fact, Conquistador's vocal style is really attractive especially during the second part with high register notes. Kelly Keeling is a great vocalist. I am amazed that Norlander took this track by Rick Wakeman that I thought not that many people like it. High five for you!

Most of the music presented here are not much different with the original versions except two tracks that I mentioned above. However, it does not mean that the other ones are not listenable and, in fact, I doe enjoy listening this tribute album in its entirety. One thing that I thought it was a bit misplaced was track 7 "Children of Sanchez Overture" by Chuck Mangione. Don't get me wrong, I love this track in its original version. However, the name of Chuck Mangione is not common in progressive land than he is in jazz / fusion music.

Overall, this is a good tribute by Erik Norlander to the legendary bands who pioneered the progressive music in early 70s. This might satisfy those of you who have embraced the beauty of 70s music. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#157938) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, January 07, 2008

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars A cover album

As implied by the title, Hommage Symphonique is a tribute to Norlander's musical influences. It contains eight cover versions, most of which are all-time classics of progressive Rock. Most of the giants of Prog are represented including songs by Yes, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Jethro Tull, and King Crimson.

The disc opens with Procol Harum's Conquistador. The lead vocals are ably handled by Kelly Keeling throughout the whole album. It continues with Rick Wakeman's Lancelot And The Black Knight, Yes' Turn Of The Century, Emerson Lake & Palmer's Pirates, Jethro Tull's Clasp, Electric Light Orchestra's Ocean Breakup / King Of The Universe. The only tune that I was not previously familiar with is Children Of Sanchez Overture originally by Chuck Mangione. The disc ends with King Crimson's Starless.

All of the covers are well-made, though as usual with covers, I prefer the original versions. Norlander is an amazing keyboard player and producer. He is great composer himself as well, so there wasn't really any need for him to record other people's material.

I can recommend this for fans only

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#772814) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 17, 2012

3 stars Well this is my first contact with Erik Norlander, although already I had listened to his work in Ayreon and Star One. So here is my attempt to make a review. 1. Conquistador: This song begins with violins and a trumpet doing a classical "spanish lead", the song has a 60's vibe througout, eve ... (read more)

Report this review (#109766) | Posted by EliasMisael | Tuesday, January 30, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ERIK NORLANDER "Hommage Symphonique"