A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

Blind Guardian

Blind Guardian A Night at the Opera album cover

Buy BLIND GUARDIAN Music
Studio Album, released in 2002

1. Precious Jerusalem (6:22)
2. Battlefield (5:37)
3. Under The Ice (5:44)
4. Sadly Sings Destiny (6:04)
5. The Maiden And The Minstrel Knight (5:30)
6. Wait For An Answer (6:30)
7. The Soulforged (5:18)
8. Age Of False Innocence (6:05)
9. Punishment Divine (5:45)
10. And Then There Was Silence (14:06)

Search BLIND GUARDIAN A Night at the Opera lyrics

Search BLIND GUARDIAN A Night at the Opera tabs

- Hansi Kürsch / vocals
- André Olbrich / guitars, vocals
- "Magnus" Armin Siepen / guitars, vocals
- Thomen "The Omen" Stauch / drums
- Oliver Holzwarth / bass

Thanks to MikeEnRegalia for the addition
and to Rune2000 for the last updates

BLIND GUARDIAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy BLIND GUARDIAN A Night at the Opera Music

Follow the BlindFollow the Blind
Night at the OperaNight at the Opera
Century Media 2002
At The Edge Of Time (Dlx Ed./2 CD Set)At The Edge Of Time (Dlx Ed./2 CD Set)
Deluxe Edition
Imaginations From the Other SideImaginations From the Other Side
Imports 2009
Tales From the Twilight WorldTales From the Twilight World
Century Media 2009
PERSUADER - When Eden Burns (CD 2006) Power Metal Blind Guardian Gamma Ray US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 13m
ICED EARTH - DARK GENESIS BOXSET blind guardian jag panzer grave digger maiden US $39.99 [0 bids]
Blind Guardian - Tales From The Twilight World / Japan US $4.50 [3 bids]
Somewhere Far Beyond - Blind Guardian (2007, CD New) US $13.64 Buy It Now 5h 31m
BLIND GUARDIAN Imaginations From The Other Side + 2 CD US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 51m
BLIND GUARDIAN, Tokyo Tales, USED CD,Plays Perfect,CD158, L@@K US $4.00 Buy It Now 7h 17m
Blind Guardian - Fly (New & Sealed Nuclear Blast Digipak CD EP - 2006) US $8.35 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth (New & Sealed Nuclear Blast CD - 2006) US $12.53 Buy It Now 8h 38m
BLIND GUARDIAN - BATTALIONS OF FEAR 1997 1ST PRESS RARE KOREAN PRESSING NEW! US $9.99 Buy It Now 8h 39m
BLIND GUARDIAN FORGOTTEN TALES+2 tra JAPAN OBI 2500yen US $29.99 Buy It Now 9h 13m
And Then There Was Silence [Single] by Blind Guardian (CD, Dec-2001, Century... US $5.00 [0 bids]
Somewhere Far Beyond by Blind Guardian (CD, May-2000, Century Media (USA)) US $6.50 [0 bids]
Imaginations from the Other Side by Blind Guardian (CD, May-1999, Century... US $6.50 [0 bids]
Blind Guardian,SEALED CD,Voice in the Dark US $9.99 Buy It Now 12h 36m
BLIND GUARDIAN - Edge of Time:T-shirt:NEW - XLARGE ONLY US $28.06 Buy It Now 13h 16m
BLIND GUARDIAN - Edge of Time:T-shirt:NEW - LARGE ONLY US $28.06 Buy It Now 13h 17m
AZURE AGONY - Beyond Belief CD iced earth blind guardian helloween king diamond US $10.99 Buy It Now 13h 36m
Demons & Wizards - S/T CD Iced Earth Blind Guardian US $5.61 [2 bids]
Rare Limited Edition CD:Heir Apparent-One Small Voice (blind guardian,helloween) US $14.99 Buy It Now 20h 7m
DEMONS & WIZARDS - S/T DIGI CD · SPV 087-21710 CD · ICED EARTH · BLIND GUARDIAN US $1.00 [1 bids]
21h
Blind Guardian - Forgotten Tales (2005) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.99 Buy It Now 21h 39m
4 metal cds music lot: paradise lost, morifade, blind guardian US $17.00 [0 bids]
Luca Turilli-Demonheart RARE CD EP Rhapsody of Fire Blind Guardian Ancient Bards US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BLIND GUARDIAN A TWIST IN THE MYTH JAPAN OOP OBI SEALED NEW RCA VICTOR DIGIPAK US $25.00 [0 bids]
BLIND GUARDIAN IMAGINATIONS FROM THE OTHER SIDE PICTURE DISC LP US $69.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NEW At The Edge Of Time - Blind Guardian US $14.28 Buy It Now 1 day
Blind Guardian Nightfall In Middle-Earth 2001 RUSSIAN RARE RELEASE US $29.94 Buy It Now 1 day
BLIND GUARDIAN - A TWIST IN THE MYTH [727361320300] - NEW CD US $11.96 Buy It Now 1 day
Memories of a Time to Come * by Blind Guardian (CD, Jan-2012, 2 Discs, EMI) US $11.99 [0 bids]
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth (Virgin Records, 1998 pressing) US $11.69 Buy It Now 1 day
Blind Guardian Forgotten Tales Japan CD OBI 1st press VICP-5717 US $14.99 [0 bids]
BLIND GUARDIAN Follow The Blind CD Power Metal Virgin Records helloween US $4.00 [1 bids]
BLIND GUARDIAN Somewhere Far Beyond CD Power Metal 3 Bonus Tracks iced earth US $4.00 [0 bids]
LABYRINTH Sons Of Thunder CD Power Metal blind guardian Metal Blade Records US $4.00 [0 bids]
BLIND GUARDIAN - AT THE EDGE OF TIME [DELUXE EDITION] [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.02 Buy It Now 1 day
BLIND GUARDIAN twist in the/fly/another stranger 3 CD! US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BEJELIT - Age of Wars (CD 2006) Power Metal Drakkar Blind Guardian Iced Earth US $15.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BLIND GUARDIAN/ IMAGINATIONS FROM THE OTHER SIDE US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Blind Guardian Live - 2CD 2003 Virgin US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Blind Guardian A twist in the myth - 2CD 2006 Nuclear Blast / Digipack US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond (Remastered) (NEW CD) US $15.46 Buy It Now 1 day
BLIND GUARDIAN-A TWIST IN THE MYTH-JAPAN CD C94 US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANGRA - TEMPLE OF SHADOWS CD / DVD shaman helloween rhapsody blind guardian dgm US $8.99 [0 bids]
HELLOWEEN - HIGH LIVE 2CD gamma ray blind guardian iron maiden running wild US $7.99 [0 bids]
HELLOWEEN - KEEPER OF THE 7 KEYS THE LEGACY 2CD gamma ray blind guardian US $6.99 [0 bids]
Lot of 5 Heavy Metal CDs BLIND GUARDIAN from Greece US $40.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Blind Guardian Nightfall in Middle-Earth original CD US $7.99 [0 bids]
Blind Guardian - Lucifer's Heritage Demos US $23.00 [0 bids]
AT THE EDGE OF TIME BY BLIND GUARDIAN (CD) US $22.61 Buy It Now 2 days
~ BLIND GUARDIAN - MEMORIES OF A TIME TO COME ~ MUSIC 2 CD's US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Blind Guardian Another Stranger Me 2007 US $19.94 Buy It Now 2 days
BLIND GUARDIAN "Somewhere Far Beyond" ORG 1st JAPAN press RARE OOP!!! US $22.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BLIND GUARDIAN - AT THE EDGE OF AUSTRALIA 2011 TOUR SHIRT - XL RARE US $22.42 Buy It Now 2 days
BLIND GUARDIAN twist in the/fly/another stranger 3 CD! US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Blind Guardian - Twist In The Myth (2006) - CD Helloween Iron Maiden Gamma Ray US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Blind Guardian(CD Single Promo)Another Stranger Me-Nuclear-Germany-New US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Blind Guardian Live 2CD Japan With Obi Free shipping US $42.80 Buy It Now 2 days
Blind Guardian signed CD Somewhere far beyond european pressing US $99.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BLIND GUARDIAN Guitar Tab Software Lesson CD + BACKING TRACKS + FREE BONUSES US $8.26 Buy It Now 3 days
@ CD Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side / VIRGIN RECORDS 1995 US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PARAGON "World of sin"ORG cd Blue Merle 95,Gamma Ray,Blind Guardian US $99.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Blind Guardian - A Past And Future Secret CD +OBI VICP-15042 Japan US $7.80 Buy It Now 3 days
Blind Guardian 1 Tales Twilight SR Sexy t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $23.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Blind Guardian 2 Tales Twilight SR Sexy t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $23.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Blind Guardian 3 Tales Twilight SR Sexy t-shirt (longsleve & hoodie available) US $23.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Blind Guardian Nightfall In Middle Earth CD 471926098022 US $2.99 [0 bids]
BLIND GUARDIAN-AT THE EDGE OF~-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK BONUS TRACK F75 US $30.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy BLIND GUARDIAN music online Buy BLIND GUARDIAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for BLIND GUARDIAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

BLIND GUARDIAN A Night at the Opera ratings distribution

BLIND GUARDIAN A Night at the Opera reviews

Review by Gatot
5 stars I thought was four stars .but .

I had this album for quite a long time. Actually I was not interested at all to purchase the CD because of one reason: I don't like an album name that is similar (hey, exactly the same!) with other band. I know exactly that "A Night at the Opera" name has anchored into my mind since my childhood when I knew Queen. So it's hard for me to accept other bands use similar or the same album name because it indicates the band is not creative at all. With countless provocation from my metal friends, I finally conquered myself and purchased the CD. With my previous total satisfaction of their "Nightfall In Middle Earth", it does make sense if I expect something more from than previous album. There was no regret at all after I spun the CD even though that I still rate "Nightfall" higher in rating than this album. One thing for sure, this album would not make you down at all - especially if you love power metal with some flavor of symphonic style. I personally like the way Hansi Kursch sings combined with unique guitar sounds and inclusion of keyboard which makes the album sounds symphonic.

On composition, I can say that this album has excellent melody where each song brings in itself a nuance of "tale" being told to listeners. The tagline melody mostly come from vocal and choirs even though in interlude the melody is given to guitar. The arrangements are mostly complex, blending the sounds of guitar, accentuated with keyboards and powerful drumwork and tight bass guitar lines. Particular to guitar, I think the sound is like a mix of Brian May's (Queen) and Mick Box's (Uriah Heep). The band has proven to be successful in providing ups and downs dynamically throughout particular track as well as the whole album. Having considered these factors, I can say that this album has an excellent structural integrity at song as well as album levels. The last part on composition is on music harmonies among vocal - choirs, guitar sounds, keyboards as well as drum and bass guitar. It's so beautiful and it brings the music in a very smooth flow.

The flow that makes great music!

The opening track "Precious Jerussalem" blasts off wonderfully through dynamic and jaw dropping drum work which gives "energy" to the music followed with Kursch voice line and unique guitar sound at background. The combination of lead voice and choirs is really excellent. It's an excellent opening track and it blew me away at first spin. The interlude part is also wonderful and it reminds me to the style of "Nightfall in Middle Earth" album. "Battlefield" opening is so colossal with guitar fills and keyboard in mellow style followed with powerful power metal music ala Blind Guardian. Hmmm. I can feel that this is the music of Blind Guardian. It's so unique and I don't think any band alike. The heavy riffs provided by this track are awesome especially when it's combined with guitar melody which reminds me to Mick Box of Uriah Heep. "Under The Ice" also has nice opening with guitar fills followed with fast tempo power metal music. The chorus line is "very Blind Guardian" - it's very unique! Oh I do enjoy the music interlude when guitar gives its stunning solo.

"Sadly Sings Destiny" starts with guitar riffs which makes me think of a hard rock track. But I'm wrong because what follows is a complex arrangements with guitar plays critical role augmented with powerful double pedal bass drum and bass guitar. Of course, the combination of vocal and choirs is still predominant factor in the music. The guitar solo this time reminds me truly to the music of Uriah Heep - it's like Mick Box playing power metal music. This song has great riffs and it's very dynamic in terms of style and tempo changes. The chorus line is great especially with high register notes on lead vocal department. "The Maiden and The Minstrel Knight" is very symphonic and it starts mellow with guitar fills augmented with keyboard. It's like taking a break from heavy music into mellow style. Still, I admire the combination of lead vocal and choirs - it's very nice man! When music flows into heavier style, the role of lead vocal and choirs is becoming more obvious especially when it's accentuated with guitar melody. Until this track I think all of tracks presented thus far are all progressive in style!

I won't do all track by track review as I think all tracks are great - at least for my ears. Track no. 10 "And Then There Was Silence" should be considered special because it's an epic with great composition and musicianship. This epic in itself is like a mini-story because the way the music composed is something like story telling - something like an opera, really! The song has great combination of melodies, styles as well as tempos. It flows beautifully from one segment to another even though there are pieces where the transition happen abruptly but they all have been successfully managed by the band to maintain cohesiveness. I would say at track level, this track has a great structural integrity and it fits also with overall album theme.

I can say that the flow of music segments in typical track as well as the movement from one track to another track is excellent and they sound cohesive and successful to create a story telling environment. Therefore I conclude that the flow has proven to be successful in creating great music.

Conclusion

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Yeah, I underestimated this album at first feel about it. The more I spin the CD, the more I find new subtleties which sound wonderful to my ears. That's why I keep spinning this CD many times because I have never gotten bore with the music. No wonder, just before I wrote this review I was in conversation with colleague collaborator (Floyd Wright) who claims that this album is very good. No I understand it very well. Nothing wrong then if I give this album as a masterpiece progressive metal album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#132634) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, August 11, 2007

Review by sean
4 stars My introduction to Blind Guardian was the song "Battlefield" from this album. I loved it, and bought a bunch of their albums. This one probably best demonstrates Blind Guardian's "new" sound: layers upon layers of guitar and vocals, which give the album an epic and symphonic flair. This album is recommended for those who enjoy power metal, or epic sounding music in general. The epic "And Then there was Silence" is one of the best songs Blind Guardian has ever done, as is "The Soulforged" and the aforementioned "Battlefield". Also recommended is "The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight", which has a symphonic medieval ballad feel, combined with Blind Guardian's brand of metal.

Send comments to sean (BETA) | Report this review (#140100) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 23, 2007

Review by UMUR
5 stars This is my favorite Blind Guardian album. Not as aggressive as Imaginations From the Other Side ( Which of course I find sad as I love aggressive music) and much more bombastic than Nightfall in Middle-Earth. But overall it´s the most symphonic and progressive album Blind Guardian has made so far.

The style is German Heavy Metal ( at this point there is not much power metal left in my opinion) with folky and symphonic tendencies.

It took me a couple of years an many listens to understand the greatness of this album. When I first listened to A Night at the Opera I was completely overwhelmed by the many layers in the music. There are just so many things going on under the lead melody that you really have to concentrate to appreciate this fully. Let me warn you that if you like your music mellow and subtle, stay away from this one, as A Night at the Opera might be the most symphonic and bombastic album I have ever heard.

Pick any song on this album and you will be thrown back in your seat trying to figure out what hit you. It´s just a massive wall of sound but what a beautiful sound.

This is a really original album as no other artist has ever sounded like this. I can give no less than 5 stars for this masterpiece.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#148444) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 01, 2007

Review by LiquidEternity
5 stars I first bought Blind Guardian's album Nightfall in Middle Earth. I was impressed, sure, but I couldn't see exactly why it was listed as prog here in the archives. It sounded mostly like rather unique power metal to me. However, when I went out and purchased A Night at the Opera, those questions were answered, and fairly quickly. If you want to find this band's proggiest output, this is where to go. If nothing else convinces you, try the fourteen And Then There Was Silence, full of rhythm and key changes and massive harmonies and a chorus like I have never heard anywhere else.

I'm not a big power metal fan. I'm not really that into hyperfast songs with little bass and incredibly cheesy lyrics. But this album works, all the way through, keeping quite uptempo through a lot of it without getting repetitive. My brother, a drummer, is fascinated by this album--chances are if crazy or creative drumming works for you, this is a great place to go. From the blistering double bass on Precious Jerusalem to the excellent cymbal work at the end of Wait for an Answer, Thomen Stauch proves he is a master of those rhythm circles. And that's not to say that someone who is a big fan of guitar would be disappointed, either. The electric riffs and solos work magic in this context. The only thing missing is a strong bass presence, which I think might be the only problem I have with this album at all.

And then there's the vocals. They might not work for some, I understand. They are about the most pretentious collection of four part harmonies soaring over electric guitars. Personally, I think they're really interesting and add so much to the music, but to the fan of more straightforward rock or metal, I can see how they can drag the album down. Hansi has a unique voice, and maybe not the best one, but the man has a keen sense for singing with emotion and power. And for writing genius vocal melodies.

Definitely something to give a shot to. Fans of progressive or power metal should be able to enjoy this, as it sits somewhere between the two (less progressive than Symphony X, but much more so than, say, Dragonforce). Just try to avoid singing along with random vocal bits, like the chorus of Battlefield or melodies here and there throughout And Then There Was Silence. It's fantastic stuff, and I enjoy it even more now than I did on my first few listens--a sure sign of true progressive magic.

Send comments to LiquidEternity (BETA) | Report this review (#169471) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, May 01, 2008

Review by CCVP
5 stars Quite possibly their best album, alongside with Nightfall in Middle-Earth. Strangely enough, both albums have night in their titles. . .

All bands have their golden phases and release some pretty awesome albums (or album) during it. That is the time when the bands make their classics, their most important and/or representative works, when they truly make their ground for the future, for being remembered and having some influence whatsoever. With Blind Guardian, that phase started with Imaginations From the Other Side and will (hopefully) continue pass A Twist in the Myth, and includes this very album that i am reviewing right now.

With A Night at the Opera, Blind Guardian does exactly what the album name proposes: with an enormous amount of vocal overdubs and most songs having an epic feeling, it does seems like, in some extend, you are in an opera house or in a concert hall.

Also, A Night at the Opera do not sound like the normal Blind Guardian album, but in the good way: the already good straightforward power metal they did was, here, partially thrown away and substituted by an interesting, diverse and fresh metal. So, instead of just exceeding themselves at the straightforward power metal (like they did in Nightfall in Middle-Earth and Imaginations from the Other Side), they actually brought many new things to the table, like the more profuse usage of keyboards and pianos (for being both the harmonic base or another soloist instrument) and the bigger versatility of the instrumental session. Their music became clearly much deeper and interesting, apart from also becoming more complex, and maybe that is why this album could arguably be classified as a progressive metal album.

This album, however, carries with itself one very sad fact: this is the last Blind Guardian studio album with the long-time drummer Thomen. Thomen actually left Blind Guardian in 2005, claiming that he was not satisfied by the direction the band took in Nightfall and A Night and to pursuit his own personal projects, after being the drummer of Blind Guardian for 20 years.

The highlights go to the whole album. All songs are very good ones and the only one that really need any extra attention is the only band epic up to date, called And Then There was Silence, (possibly) based on the Trojan War (like you didn't had it coming . . .).

Grade and Final Thoughts

I gotta say that i really believe that this album is actually as good as Nightfall in Middle-Earth. When it comes to the best Blind Guardian album, people always choose one between this one, Nightfall or Imaginations (which i believe is the less-good of the three), but i think that both night albums are just as good, but good in different ways.

Anyway, the bottom line is that this album is really awesome (specially in the power metal sense of the word, because all songs have an epic feeling). Because of that i think that this albums deserves the masterpiece grade.

Send comments to CCVP (BETA) | Report this review (#191165) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 30, 2008

Review by Conor Fynes
5 stars 'A Night At The Opera' - Blind Guardian (9/10)

Even if the only reason to buy this album was the fourteen minute epic 'And Then There Was Silence,' this album would still be well worth buying and score at least four stars, based on the sheer brilliance of that track alone. 'And Then There Was Silence' is quite simply one of the greatest pieces of music composed in modern times; no exageration. Over the course of a quarter-hour, a sort of mini- opera unfolds, with orchestral arrangements, melodic counterpoints, highly overdubbed 'choir' vocals and all. It is a true masterpiece not only of metal, not only of prog but in the realm of modern day music. To any that thought of Blind Guardian as sword toting Dungeons and Dragons players, this song alone should stand as a credit to their genius as an amazing band.

...And what about the rest of the album?

I may have said that even if the rest of the album was bad, this would still be a decent release. However, the real beauty in this album is that every song is fantastic! There are tightly composed tracks throughout, and no filler moments to speak of. Each moment and song brings a new, epic thrill and beautiful vocal harmony.

Each song on this album tells a story of some sort, and compared to their earlier high fantasy influenced works, this is much more lyrically mature and tasteful. Not to say that the concept of 'Nightfall In Middle- Earth' was stupid or anything, but this is a sharp improvement.

One of my favourite albums of all time, and Blind Guardian's magnum opus. A testament to musical complexity, class and musical virtuosity without pomposity.

A truly epic masterpiece.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#203436) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Review by The Crow
4 stars Following the splendid "Nightfall in Middle Earth", Blind Guardian managed to release another impressive metal album!

Maybe the earliest impression I had the first time I listened this album was a bit wrong... The production was incredible, the sound perfect, but the songs lacked something. I missed a bit the spontaniety and power of "Imaginations from the Other Side", and the great balance between melody and energy of their previous release. "A Night at the Opera" was maybe a bit too excesive, too full of details... And maybe even too progressive!

But after a few listenings, I realized what a great album "A Night at the Opera" is... The digestion of the songs is slow, but once you've managed to get into them, you'll enjoy inmensily the listening of this heavy carrousel of compositive genious, virtuousity and tons of epic feeling. This is maybe the most intense Blind Guardian album, their most melodic, and complex one.

The albums flows in a mangnificient way, offering great songs, and although one track at the beginning (Under the Ice) and some tracks at the end (The Soulforged and Age of False Innocence) are a bit under the quality of the rest of the album, the final impression is really good. This crazy waste of details, production values and impressive guitar melodies is rare in metal today... Maybe a bit excessive, like I said, but impressive anyway!

Instrumentally, Andre Olbrich and Marcus Siepen are just spectacular here... The trademark Blind Guardian guitar sound is here again, and even better than before. Just hear the instrumental interludes... Wow! The last recording of Thomen Stauch with the band was also impressive, showing what a great drummer he was... And Hansi Kürsch's voice is the most renowed element of the bunch. He sounds a bit different in comparision with previous albums, primarily because he sings in higher notes, reaching levels that were unknown from him, but keeping the same rage and feeling. He sings higher and a bit less dirty tan before (making a very well mix with the stylish music...), but not with the ugly, almost totally clean and girlie vocie he used later in "A Twist in the Myth".

Bes tracks: How Far Jerusalem (a "in your face" track, spectacular beginning...), Battlefield (one of the most epic moments of the band... The chorus is just incredibly powerful!), Wait for an Answer (happy metal at its best!), Punishment Divine (a curious mix between the classic speed metal style of the band and their progressive modern orientation...) and And Then there Was Silence (the longest Blind Guardian song, and maybe their most progressive composition...)

Conclusion: despite its wrong tittle, and its horrendous cover artwork, "A Night at the Opera" is an excellent album. In my opinion, it's not so good like the previous "Nightfall in Middle Earth" for a pair of weak tracks, but it's the most spectacular, well produced, complex, detailed, epic... And progressive Blind Guardian album! Very recommended to every progressive metal fan!

My rating: ****

Send comments to The Crow (BETA) | Report this review (#228078) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 23, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover and E&O Teams
4 stars I once heard Avantasia's "The Metal Opera" and was disgusted and overwhelmed by bad feelings about it. It was really cheap metal used for those who wants not so much from music.

But I do want a lot and I think I found it in "A Night at the Opera". Almost like Symphony X, but still different. But you not, this "fantasy" style of prog metal is always similar one to another, so we should overlook these coincidences. Same case as with jazz, same background, but these little things that makes it special are important.

I really feel like in Opera, atmosphere is furious and you really feel that you're part of this play. The problem is that I'm not sure if it's for everyone. This is nothing calm, you'll not be allowed to rest for a second and taking pauses, or the worse, leaving during this would be not polite. And is this music polite after all ? Well, it's offering a lot for your senses.

5(-), offering a lot, demanding not so much, melodic and done in true metal style (metal equivalent of prog rock), one of their best albums, what else should I ask for.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#246044) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, October 24, 2009

Review by LinusW
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Italian Prog Specialist
4 stars Kicked me right out of my power metal depression, this one. Fundamentally different yet refreshingly similar to its often-times rather formulaic peers, A Night at the Opera proved that it's actually possible to go beyond the dry, speedy riffs, sappy, upbeat melodic workouts and progressively sillier and more brothers-in-arms-like battle cries of the choruses. In my eyes, it just sucks the life and individuality out of so many of these bands, leaving a diluted mess of metal it's hard to connect to at any level.

Blind Guardian is markedly different, yet very much the same as the rest of the school of German speed/power/heavy metal on this album. While perhaps being slightly easier on the speed part, you find all you'd expect from such a band here, so there's no escaping that fact. But Blind Guardian takes it all one step further and dares to break free of the structural conservatism, jumping from mood to mood, tempo to tempo and even style to style just as effortlessly you want your prog heroes to do it. There's a free-spirited, collective spirit of exploration and curiosity that makes the metal here reach new levels of composition and harmonic depth while still being true to its identity. It also helps that Hansi Kürsch has been blessed with one of the rarest qualities in power metal, namely a unique and dynamic voice.

It's a sweaty, complex (even without wild time signatures and untraditional song-writing) set of songs that face you when you turn the volume up for A Night at the Opera. Unapologetic epic pretensions, layer upon layer of almost perfectly coordinated vocals, harmonies, riffs and swirling melodies. Orchestral keyboard arrangements, medieval minstrelsy, symphonic pretensions and deadly power from hard-hitting riffs and dynamic drumming that hits you right in the gut. At times, the depth in the layering and the wall of sound it produces reaches almost face-melting values, positively soaring with life and energy. Bombast is the word, so if you can't bear that, stay miles away from this record. It's close to bursting from it.

And in the end, that's the only thing that keeps me from awarding this the full five stars. Sitting through the ten songs here is quite exhausting. The experience just leaves you drained after being pounded by wave after wave of all that thick, thick music.

Remarkably high quality throughout the whole album, with no true low points.

4 stars.

//LinusW

Send comments to LinusW (BETA) | Report this review (#246290) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 25, 2009

Review by Flucktrot
3 stars Oh my, I can't say that I wasn't warned! I had read on ProgArchives about this album as having a huge sound that had to be heard to be believed. But there's no way to prepare for this. It's massively, epically, comically, stupendously huge, and the onslaught lasts for an hour!

It's like being punch drunk and sort of enjoying being pummeled, but a part of you also wants it to end--knows it has to end.

Let's see...we've got massive Queen-like choirs throughout, tons of hammering double-bass, ever-present dual guitar (sometimes it sounds like four or five lines), pretentious lyrics, and on top of all that, lots of orchestra hits to add even more emphasis.

I'd talk about some of the songs, but they really do sound a lot alike. Maybe it needs more time to grow, but most times I put it on, I get that drowning feeling and have to come up for air. I suppose if I had to pick one, it would be the 14 minute closer, And Then There Was Silence, which gives me a digestible chunk when I'm in the mood to be musically pummeled.

All in all, certainly a unique album. Judging by the cover, I wouldn't see much difference between this and Pendragon's Masquerade Overture, but upon listening, they couldn't be much more different.

It's strange--I don't really like to listen to this album, but I do think it's cool that it exists. It answers an important question: What happens when take over-the-top metal and then go a few notches higher?

Now I know: A Night at the Opera happens, and now that the matter is resolved, let's hope bands in the future decide against answering it again.

Send comments to Flucktrot (BETA) | Report this review (#285520) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 07, 2010

3 stars I'm certainly not the biggest fan of this band, in fact I only listen to "Imaginations From The Other Side" anymore as I feel it's by far their best. Having said that, these guys are pros and everything i've heard from them i've enjoyed somewhat. And this is no exception. This is perhaps their most Symphonic and Progressive album and I applaud them for changing gears here.

"Precious Jerusalem" opens with drums as these double tracked vocals with guitars kick in. Not a fan of this song or the next one called "Battlefield".The latter kicks in quickly with urgant vocals. "Under The Ice" might be my favourite. I like the guitar early on. Great sounding instrumental as well after 3 1/2 minutes. "Sadly Sings Destiny" has a cool guitar intro then a barrage of drums joins in.Vocals follow.Good song. "The Maiden And The Minstrel Knight" is mellow with reserved vocals. A Classical vibe here too. It kicks in before 3 1/2 minutes.

"Wait For An Answer" hits the ground running. Some killer guitar 4 1/2 minutes in then the vocals return. "The Soulforged" is more the like the first couple of tracks. Not a fan. "Age Of False Innocence" sounds really good when it kicks in after a minute. "Punishment Divine" is intense after 2 minutes then the guitars light it up a minute later. Good tune. "And The There Was Silence" is the over 14 minute closer. It has it's moments but I would only rate it as good. I do like when it calms down 3 minutes in with fragile vocals. It's just nice to hear for a change I guess.

Power-Metal fans probably already own this but if you don't you should check it out.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#421429) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Review by Warthur
3 stars I guess it's no surprise Blind Guardian named this album after Queen's most critically acclaimed one (though it is a bit presumptuous) - after all, the main difference between this one and its predecessors is the band's deliberate use of decidedly Queen-like vocal harmonies, Queen-like mass overdubs, and a thorough injection of Queen-like pomp rock. To be honest, it doesn't make Blind Guardian's latter-day musical approach any more palatable to me, but I guess if you're really into power metal and really into Queen then it'll probably appeal to you. To be honest, I'd rather just listen to the better tracks off the original Night at the Opera again.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#651673) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, March 09, 2012

2 stars The first time I heard Blind Guardian it was in 1993. Their latest album was Somewhere Far Beyond. I listened to it for whole vacations and I was mesmerized. It was the best music for me at the time. It was before I discovered a true progressive music. I liked their next 3 albums (including th ... (read more)

Report this review (#219530) | Posted by LSDisease | Tuesday, June 02, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars 4.5. Absolutely epic album. The layered vocals make this a challenging first listen, but after repeated listens its greatness begins to show through. The source material for all of these songs is actually very interesting when you begin to investigate. Every song reminds me of the closing moments ... (read more)

Report this review (#215643) | Posted by lweismantel | Thursday, May 14, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars After a magnific album in 98 NFITME, comes another good work By this German Band,It seems that every band with each work they're become more hevy'ers in their sound,but in a certain way BG did perfectly,again.with this album BG combines some elemments from BOF And IFTOS making a marvelous fusion, ... (read more)

Report this review (#203440) | Posted by JgX 5 | Tuesday, February 17, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Released after the sucessful "Nightfall in Middle-Earth", "A Night at the Opera" shows Blind Guardian adopting an even more ambitious sound: the speed metal elements that made some of the songs of the previous album what they were, were all thrown away and there are literally thousands of layers ... (read more)

Report this review (#182208) | Posted by Nhorf | Thursday, September 11, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars In all seriousness, this should be 4.5 stars. This album is truly a gem. I had started listening to Blind Guardian back with the album Imaginations From The Other Side, and while it was a superb album, it was NEVER (and i mean NEVER) up to par with Night At The Opera. The music in this albu ... (read more)

Report this review (#160272) | Posted by Delirium Kentia | Wednesday, January 30, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Very complicated album. Most of the songs are enjoyable but the last epic one is really incredible and, it alone, makes up for the weaker times. ''And then there was Silence'' is one of the best epic this world has ever seen and you should really buy this album just for this tune. Overall, it ... (read more)

Report this review (#127969) | Posted by Winter_is_Comin | Monday, July 09, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BLIND GUARDIAN "A Night at the Opera"