LIVE AT LEEDS

The Who Live At Leeds album cover

rock music collection

Buy THE WHO Music
Live, released in 1970

1. Heaven and Hell* (4:50)
2. I Can't Explain* (2:58)
3. Fortune Teller* (2:34)
4. Tattoo* (3:42)
5. Young Man Blues (5:51)
6. Substitute (2:06)
7. Happy Jack* (2:13)
8. I'm a Boy* (4:41)
9. A Quick One, While He's Away* (8:41)
10. Amazing Journey/Sparks* (7:54)
11. Summertime Blues (3:22)
12. Shakin' All Over (4:34)
13. My Generation (15:46)
14. Magic Bus (7:46)

Disc 2 (Tommy Live):
1. Overture (6:52)
2. It's a Boy (0:31)
3. 1921 (2:25)
4. Amazing Journey (3:17)
5. Sparks (4:22)
6. Eyesight to the Blind (The Hawker) (1:58)
7. Christmas (3:18)
8. The Acid Queen (3:34)
9. Pinball Wizard (2:52)
10. Do You Think It's Alright? (0:22)
11. Fiddle About (1:13)
12. Tommy, Can You Hear Me? (0:55)
13. There's a Doctor (0:23)
14. Go to the Mirror (3:24)
15. Smash the Mirror (1:18)
16. Miracle Cure (0:12)
17. Sally Simpson (4:00)
18. I'm Free (2:38)
19. Tommy's Holiday Camp (1:00)
20. We're Not Gonna Take It (8:47)

Search THE WHO Live At Leeds lyrics

Search THE WHO Live At Leeds tabs

- Roger Daltrey / lead vocals, harmonica, tambourine
- Pete Townshend / guitar, vocals
- John Entwistle / bass guitar, vocals
- Keith Moon / drums, vocals

MCA Single-disc Remaster with 8 bonus tracks released in 1995;
MCA 2-disc "Deluxe Edition" Extended Remaster released in 2001

Thanks to ClassicRocker for the addition

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO Live At Leeds Music

The Who - It`s Hard - 5376962 US $11.10 Buy It Now 33m 50s
Who You Fighting For? - Ub40 (2006, CD New) US $12.37 Buy It Now 38m 9s
Harlano - Who Is Harlano?? NEW CD US $12.34 Buy It Now 38m 55s
MADONNA WHO'S THAT GIRL 7" single US $5.02 Buy It Now 39m 32s
The Pretenders - You Know Who Your Friends Are - Scarce 2 track promo CD US $8.38 Buy It Now 40m 27s
Jackie Mittoo ?- Who Done It / Freak Out ORIG JA 7" Coxsone US $25.19 Buy It Now 43m 27s
(DZ891) Karen Elson, The Ghost Who Walks - 2010 DJ CD US $5.02 Buy It Now 44m 2s
Very Old 1911 78, Collins & Harlan "Cat and the Fly Paper" "Who Do You Love?" US $14.25 Buy It Now 44m 44s
MADONNA/WHO`S THAT GIRL JPN P2265 US $12.00 Buy It Now 45m 48s
JANIS IAN-WHO REALLY CARES-JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD SS 1969 US $12.99 Buy It Now 47m 2s
4 Who Dared LP Kids With Dynamite US $24.99 Buy It Now 48m 7s
THW WHO SINGS MY GENERATION IMPORT TAPE +MAGIC BUS IBM 8603 MODS TOWNSEND US $16.78 Buy It Now 50m 12s
Bros.Jack McDuff Who Knows What Tomorrow's..BN St LibM- US $34.99 Buy It Now 50m 17s
This Is Who I Am by Heather Headley US $8.99 Buy It Now 50m 37s
THE BEAUTIFUL MISTAKE - THIS IS WHO YOU ARE!! NEW!! US $4.25 Buy It Now 53m 28s
Gary Burton - Who`S Gary Burton + Subtle Swing (EJC) Cd New US $13.95 Buy It Now 55m 55s
PETE TOWNSHEND (TWO vintage albums) EMPTY GLASS and WHO CAME FIRST (The Who) US $27.00 [0 bids]
1h
[SaveDreams] KPOP - B1A4 "WHO AM I" (2nd Album)+Photobook(choice member)+Poster US $27.00 Buy It Now 1h 2m
THE WHO Hooligans RCA Record US $5.27 [0 bids]
GEORGE THOROGOOD & DESTROYERS - WHO DO YOU LOVE NEW CD US $23.18 Buy It Now 1h 3m
OCTOPUS: SAVED [3 TRACKS-SAVED,I KNOW WHO I AM,GUESTLIST]U.K. RELEASE 1996] US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
The Who - Pinball Wizard - The Collection CD 19 Brilliant Tracks - My Generation US $5.02 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Connie Francis - Who's Sorry Now - Hits Collection CD - 20 Great Original Tracks US $5.86 Buy It Now 1h 9m
DON GIBSON Look Who's Blue UK 7" PS 1961 vg+/vg+ US $13.42 Buy It Now 1h 11m
MADONNA - WHO'S THAT GIRL NEW VINYL US $21.80 Buy It Now 1h 11m
SHERYL CROW PAUL WELLER BOWIE PEARL JAM PHISH STEREOPHONICS SING THE WHO CD US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
DEEP PURPLE (2 Vintage albums) Who Do We Think We Are and Perfect Strangers US $35.00 [0 bids]
THE GUESS WHO 10 rca 1973 orig usa Lp EX US $25.17 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Trio Gitano - Who Ate All The Tapas? NEW CD US $14.79 Buy It Now 1h 15m
AC/DC - Who Made Who - 180g LP - Sealed - FREE UK P&P US $25.09 Buy It Now 1h 18m
ERASURE Who Needs Love Like That 7" EX+ UK 1985 Mute Records US $8.38 Buy It Now 1h 21m
KENNY ROGERS & FIRST EDITION - SOMEONE WHO CARES - 7" VINYL REPRISE US ISSUE US $10.90 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Man Two Man : Who Knows What Evil : 12: Vinyl Single : Picture Sleeve : MARE 3 US $11.40 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Marie Osmond : Who's Sorry Now : Vinyl Album : MGM : 2315-323 : UK Pressing US $11.40 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Everyone Who Had A Hit : 12 Top Hits Of 1964 : Vinyl Album : WRC : TP 442 US $11.40 Buy It Now 1h 27m
DOBIE GRAY - WHO'S LOVIN' YOU - 7" VINYL 1978 INFINITY US $10.23 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Who Am I "Sim Simma" by Beenie Man (CD Single, 1998, 2 Hard Productions) (R3) US $3.60 [0 bids]
Alien Sex Fiend relativity LP Who's Been Sleeping in my Brain US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
The GUESS WHO rockin SEALED LP US $23.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Four Seasons Who Loves You 45 RPM Record US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Who's Tommy (ocr) - Broadway Ca Original New & Sealed CD US $20.76 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Woodstock Original Soundtrack and more-1970 3 LP-COTILLION TRIFOLD-Who-CSNY-VG+ US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
JOIE CHAN 45, SWEET BABY / WHO'LL BE THE BOY THIS SUMMER. US $27.20 Buy It Now 1h 42m
[6-3 DL] CD Lot of 3 Dr Who Full Cast Drama Recordings 6 cd total 2002 US $51.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
The Guess Who- Wheatfield Soul-VINYL/RECORD US $0.99 [1 bids]
DEBARGE who's holding donna now ZT 40214 uk gordy 1985 12" PS EX/EX US $22.97 Buy It Now 1h 47m
THE WHO TOMMY JAPAN OBI US $99.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
The Who Tommy-Rock Opera 2 LP-DECCA DXSW 7205 TRIFOLD W/BOOK-Keith Moon-VG+ US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
CHANTE MOORE who do i turn to LSJ12-54722 near mint disc usa 1993 12" PS EX/EX US $17.31 Buy It Now 1h 50m
McVicar -Original Soundtrack[Vintage Vinyl LP,1980]The Who Roger Daltrey US $6.99 [0 bids]
KEIKO LEE Who's Screamin JAPAN CD OBI 2004 SA-CD US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
THE WHO\ROGER DALTREY mcvicar soundtrack 2302 102 german polydor LP PS VG/VG US $13.42 Buy It Now 1h 51m
GARY CLAIL who pays the piper 74321 11701 1 uk perfecto 1992 12" PS EX/EX US $15.03 Buy It Now 1h 51m
NEW - Who I Am by Beverley Knight US $8.24 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Grant Manson/dynamos - Take Me For Who I Am NEW CD US $15.92 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Who I Am by Mana (CD, Apr-2001, From Da Heart) US $9.00 Buy It Now 1h 52m
MADONNA Who's That Girl JAPAN CD OBI 1987 OST YEN3200 32XD- US $44.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
LINNEA This Is Who I Am (2 Bonus Track) JAPAN CD OBI New Sample US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 55m
ROGER DALTREY written on the wind/dear john 2121 319 polydor 7" WS EX/ the who US $11.74 Buy It Now 1h 59m
ANNE MURRAY who but you\you make me curious B44341 usa capitol 7" CS EX/EX US $11.74 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Who's the Swinginest Man in Town? Cab Calloway CD US $15.95 Buy It Now 2h
Who's That Girl Madonna Vinyl LP US $14.98 Buy It Now 2h
The Guess Who Play The Guess Who PIP 6806 Vinyl Record LP US $4.74 Buy It Now 2h
JELLYBEAN AND ELISA FIORILLO who found who 12" PS EX/EX uk chrysalis JELX 1 US $15.03 Buy It Now 2h
PETER NERO theme from the fox\who will answer RCA 1692 uk rca 7" CS EX/EX US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h
THE WHO Original Soundtrack Quadrophenia JAPAN CD OBI +1 1979 US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
THE WHO The Singles JAPAN CD OBI 1984 US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Bjork - Who Is It - Scarce 2001 UK 3 track DVD single US $10.06 Buy It Now 2h 3m
2 Lp Lot The Who "Who's Next" & Kansas "Audio Visions" US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Sings My Generation - Who (1988, CD New) US $5.02 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Half Man Half Biscuit - Four Lads Who Shook The Wirral NEW CD US $16.91 Buy It Now 2h 7m
WHO MY GENERATION PROMO BOX ONLY FOR JAPAN MINI LP US $39.99 [0 bids]
Ludacris "Who Not Me/Number One Spot" 12" Mini LP PROMO US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 9m
Akbar "Those Who Say" 12" Single US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 9m
2 Lp Lot The Who "Tommy" & Billy Squire "Emotions In Motion" US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
The Who's Tommy [Original Cast Recording] by Original Cast (CD, Jul-1993, 2... US $3.25 Buy It Now 2h 11m
2 Lp Lot The Kinks "Misfits" & The Who "It's Hard" US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 14m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - BBC - WHO PAYS THE FERRYMAN - YANNIS MARKOPOULOS - RESL 51 US $11.74 Buy It Now 2h 16m
THE OUT / WHO IS INNOCENT / 1979 7" P/S RABID US $13.42 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Phil Collins Who Said I Would JAPAN 3"CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Charlatans - Who We Touch JAPAN CD OBI SEALED a192 US $3.99 [0 bids]
VINYL 7" SINGLE - EMILE FORD - I WONDER WHO'S KISSING HER NOW - 7N.35033 US $11.74 Buy It Now 2h 18m
DJ Linus ?- Who Stole The Soul ? 2002 TECH HOUSE!! US $6.70 Buy It Now 2h 22m
MODEST MOUSE Good News For People Who Love Bad.. CD NEW US $12.68 Buy It Now 2h 22m
ROUGH TRADE - FOR THOSE WHO THINK YOUNG - VINYL US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
RARE 12" ITALO DISCO MEN AT WORK - DOWN UNDER / WHO CAN IT BE NOW? RED PROMO LP US $279.99 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Eurythmics-Who's That Girl 12"-SHMUEL FLASH MIX-RARE!!! US $11.74 Buy It Now 2h 24m
WHO,GREEN DAY,ELVIS COSTELLO,LENNY KRAVITZ++--AUSTIN POWERS-SPY WHO SHAGGED ME US $1.99 Buy It Now 2h 25m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - THE BARRON KNIGHTS - WE KNOW WHO DONE IT US $11.74 Buy It Now 2h 25m
The Who "QUadrophenia" Double LP with booklet US $12.50 [4 bids]
LOT OF 2 45 RPM RECORDS THE WHO OVERTURE FROM TOMMY THE YARD BIRDS FOR YOUR LOVE US $9.99 [0 bids]
RIVA / DANNII MINOGUE - WHO DO YOU LOVE NOW - UK CD SINGLE US $3.34 Buy It Now 2h 29m
WHO / MAGIC BUS / MY GENERATION / USA DOUBLE LP GATEFOLD SLEEVE US $25.17 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Pete Townshend-Scoop-original pressing PRISTINE 2 LP NEAR MINT!w/sleeves!THE WHO US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Judy Collins Who Knows Where The Time Goes LP 1968 Gatefold Vinyl Record US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
DMX WHO WE BE ( 2001 CD SINGLE CD NEW ) US $6.70 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Who's That Girl - Madonna (2012, Vinyl New) US $14.34 Buy It Now 2h 38m
THE WHO "SEE ME FEEL ME TOUCH ME" / "OVERTURE FROM TOMMY" 7" 45 US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
THE MIRACLES ORIGINAL TAMLA 45 WHO'S LOVIN YOU/SHOP AROUND US $50.00 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Harding John Wesley - Who Was Changed And Who W NEW CD US $17.41 Buy It Now 2h 38m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO Live At Leeds ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(47%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(36%)

THE WHO Live At Leeds reviews

Review by 1800iareyay
4 stars Live at Leeds is the greatest live album of al time. I am certainly not the first to make that statement, and it is highly unlikely I will be the last. Following the grueling tour for the surprise hit Tommy, Townshend collected all of the live tapes recorded in America, "burned them in a big bonfire," and chose the show at Leeds University. he also wanted to take The Who back to their hard rocking roots. The result was THE example of warts 'n all recordings that stands as of The Who's best albums.

Things open with a bang on "Heaven and hell," the entwistle-penned tune that never made it to the studio. Townshend and Entwistle shine, but the real star is Moon, who crashes away like a man possessed. They then play a fine selection of their early jits, from "I Can't Explain" through "Tattoo." Then "Young Man Blues" enters with stop-start music and lyrics and Pete and John both get to prove their skill over more wild drumming and Roger's great vocals. This is one of several covers on the album that not only captures the spirit of the original (rare for covers), it makes the songs better. The set ends with a jam version of "My Generation" that has a few sound bugs in it (hence the birth of warts 'n all) before they clsoe with "Magic Bus."

The deluxe edition contains Tommy in one of its most complete live forms (the band never played the full thing live). Detractors would say this eradicates the back to basics ethos of the original, and in a sense they are right. However, the energy that the Tommy material is infused with here makes it a welcome addition.

It's not prog, in fact it's anti-prog. However, you cannot call yourself a rock fan without this album. get the deluxe edition, it is well worth the cost.

Grade: B+

Send comments to 1800iareyay (BETA) | Report this review (#129862) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 22, 2007

Review by fuxi
3 stars People have repeated so often that LIVE AT LEEDS is the greatest live album of all time you'd ALMOST start believing them. They're wrong, though. I can think of dozens of live albums that are more colourful and varied, more musically accomplished, more emotional - starting with Duke Ellington LIVE AT NEWPORT (1956), and so on through the decades.

However, LIVE AT LEEDS does contain some of the most strikingly energetic rock performances ever. In my view, it's especially noteworthy because of its cover versions. The original LP contained just six tracks, among which the Pete Townshend compositions are by far the weakest. "Substitute" sounded more charming in its original studio version. Similarly, the live performance of "My Generation" feels too heavy (I prefer the quick, revolutionary original) and too long drawn-out (almost 16 minutes!) although it does incorporate the band's most triumphant ever performance of the "Underture" from TOMMY (also known as "Sparks").

No, "Summertime Blues", "Shaking all Over" and "Young Man Blues" are where true glory lies. Especially the last-named. This must be the noisiest ever performance by one of the classic 1960s bands - but how sublime the noise! If you'll allow me to paraphrase one of Ireland's greatest writers:

When things go wrong and will not come right, / Though you do the best you can, / When life looks black as the hour of night - / "YOUNG MAN BLUES" IS YOUR ONLY MAN!

If you grade LIVE AT LEEDS purely on its musical merits, it undoubtedly deserves four stars, but since (this time) the connection with progressive rock is really rather tenuous, allow me to stick to three.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#129947) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 23, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Should you desire to skip The Who's 60's works or have a quick overview, the extended version (remastered) of the Leeds album would be the perfect disc to do so. It contains live version of most of their classics (Generation, Explain, Magic Bus, Substitute, Happy Jack and more, even with their first "mini-opera" A Quick One), but on top of it, you have an excellent live rendition, giving a more appropriate idea of what they were about. Don't expect much in terms of progressiveness out of their 60's works, and this album will make no exception, but in sorts, this album must be seen as a turning of the page of the group's passage from teendom to adulthood. Of note is the weird (and "prog-esque") A Quick One, the extended (15 minutes) My Generation (a medley really with many different passages, most noteworthy a See Me Feel Me excerpt), the great Diddley-esque Magic Bus and the Tommy excerpts of Amazing Journey/Sparks.

Essential only to the progheads' whose Who affinity is extended to an historical aspect of their career, Leeds is a legendary live album that received another boost with the bonus track, the full Leeds concert being presented minus the Tommy "opera suite". Definitely has its place in my shelves, especially in its full version.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#130040) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
5 stars CAUTION - THIS IS DYNAMITE

One take.

That's what The Who had left from their extensive tour after the "Tommy" release.The idea of making a live album was decided during the 1969-1970 tour and tapes from a lot of concerts were considered to create it.

When the band was confronted to the daunting task of selecting the best numbers of all these concerts to compile them into a solid live album, The Who were too lazy to listen to all these reels and preferred to burn the tapes (according the legend to avoid these from being bootlegged) and they scheduled two new shows, one at the University of Leeds (February 14th) and the other in Hull (February 15th).

For technical reasons (the bass was not recorded on the tapes) the Hull concert could not be considered for the final recordings; so only the Leeds ones had to do it. Needless to say that the conditions of the "concert hall" were not at all ideal. The concert was recorded in the refectoire of the university and nor the sound nor the visual conditions were great (to say the least).

Anyway, here we go for what I consider one of the greatest live rock albums of all times. In-line with "Made In Japan", "Uriah Heep Live 73", "Rock'n'Roll Animal" and "Slade Alive!". In terms of prog, I would add "Genesis Live" and "Keys To Ascension I".

Just bear in mind that "Live At Leeds" was released well ahead all the other ones.

The Who were one of the best live act in the rock history. Extremely violent. Not only because Pete was smashing his guitar on stage, but the whole band were really disjointed for the era (mid to late sixties).

I purchased the original vinyl version in 1971while I was twelve. This contained only six numbers of which three were rock or blues classics ("Young Man Blues", "Summertime Blues" - superb rendition to be honest, and "Shakin' All Over"). "Substitute" was formatted as the original but "Magic Bus" was quite extended (almost eight minutes) and the version of "My Generation" featured here is rather disjointed. If you doubt about the hardness of a Who live concert, just listen to this piece of music. It definitely has influenced some excesses of the Purple on stage.

The original album was just over thirty-five minutes lenght.

Years later (in 1995), a remastered version saw the light and clocked at almost the full CD capacity, including their first attempt of a mini-rock opera : "A Quick One, While He's Away" released in 1966 on their studio album "A Quick One" (not easy to perform live, I would say). This version is far much heavier and rockier than its studio counter-part. A great moment of music, indeed. When you listen to intro of this number (about FIVE minutes), you'll be immediately brought into Peter Gabriel's world while he was introducng most of the Genesis classis. Again, this was recorded in February 1970, earlier than any weird little stories from Peter...

A bit of "Tommy" (more to come) with "Amazing Journey/ Sparks", a bit of Who standards with "I Can't Explain", some good Who songs as well with "Tatoo", "Happy Jack", "I'm A Boy" as well as a great version of "Fortune Teller" were of course more than welcome.

But the real big thing is the deluxe two CD edition released in 2001 which features almost the whole of "Tommy" in an incredible live version. Of course, "Underture" is not played but this recording is really extraordinary. Of course, when "Tommy" is mentioned, I am completely biased. I just adore this album so I can only advise you to grab the deluxe edition.

You'll get a typical Who concert like the one from Woodstock, also available (but in boot format) and the Isle of Whight one. On both of these, the sequence of the original concerts are kept (which is not the case on Live At Leeds).

Four numbers were played after "Tommy" : "Summertime Blues," "Shakin' All Over," "My Generation," and "Magic Bus" but maybe for consistency reasons, the whole of "Tommy" was placed on the whole of the second CD.

This fully expanded "Live At Leeds" is GORGEOUS and I will rate it with five stars (while the original would probably deserve three and the remastered version four).

This live album has of course nothing to do with prog. It is wild, it rocks like hell and a like it an awful lot.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#130218) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2007

4 stars I have the 1995 remaster which is really the whole concert except instead of the whole "Tommy" suite there are instead just two songs off of it added here.This was actually released after the "Tommy" album and before the "Who's Next" record. The band had just completed a tour of the U.S. and had recorded several of the shows, but Pete Townsend didn't want the job of going through all that material so he had the sound engineer burn all the tapes. Instead they played a concert at Leeds University on February 14,1970 and recorded it warts and all, and originally released it with just 6 songs on it. Coming off a long tour these guys were at the top of their game. What impressed me most was the playing of Keith Moon. He is leading the way often, and is rarely not heard. Yet there are no drum solos from him, just amazing playing. All four of these men are so talented and this recording really gives us a chance to hear their skills while they are in their prime.

"Heaven And Hell" was often a concert opener for the band in the late sixties. It's a John Entwistle song and one of his best. Not surprisingly the bass work is a highlight on this track. I also like the raw and aggressive guitar solo from Townhend 2 minutes in and later. "I Can't Explain" was the first single they ever released. The original single had Jimmy Page on second guitar. This has a good beat to it. "Fortune Teller" is a cover of a Benny Spellman hit, an R&B tune that really kicks in at the 2 minute mark where they are really working hard. "Tattoo" is a great song, I especially like the mellow sections. "Young Man Blues" is another cover that sound so good live. A blues song from 1957 that has such a good rhythm to it. I mean check out Moon and Entwistle on this one. Especially Moon ! Love the guitar as well in this ass kicking song. "Substitute" again features Moon outfront and leading, it blends into "Happy Jack" where Keith continues to blow me away. Cool lyrics as well. "I'm A Boy" is an energetic,uptempo tune. "A Quick One, While He's Away" is like a mini rock opera with six very different parts to it. It actually works here.

"Amazing Journey / Sparks" is part of the "Tommy" suite. Here we get about 7 1/2 minutes of what would have been about one hour and fifteen minutes worth of music. This is a great little snippet though, I especially like the "Sparks" song. It takes about a minute for Moon to start to take control before Townshend fires off a round 3 1/2 minutes in. A catchy melody follows. From the five minute mark on this is pure bliss for me. The drums and guitars making a magic soundscape. The next two songs are covers, and to be honest i'm not a fan of either, although "Summertime Blues" is pretty good. "My Generation" is almost 15 minutes long but only the first 3 minutes are actually that song, as they veer off into sections of "Tommy" the rest of the way. This is my favourite song on this album. The bass playing, the ripping guitar solos, and of course Moon. I can't say enough about the band interplay on this one either, just incredible instrumental work here. "Magic Bus" is blues flavoured here with even a harmonica solo. Some great guitar late.

So there it is with the plain cover and what looks like a rubber stamped title on it, but that is the only ordinary thing about this live recording. Again when you listen to this, pay attention to Keith Moon and I know you'll be impressed. 4 solid stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#136118) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 03, 2007

Review by Gatot
4 stars Well, if you were there in the seventies, this album must be one of your precious collection of live albums altogether with Uriah Heep "Live 1973", Deep Purple "Made in Japan", Grand Funk Railroad "Live", Led Zeppelin "The Song Remains The Same" , Yes "Yessongs" and Genesis "Live". In fact it's quite hard for me to select which one is the best because all of them are great and each have their own unique identity and characteristic as a rock band. As far as "Live at Leeds", one thing that I like is the sheer dynamics of the music, especially performed live, which is much better than the studio version. With limited technology, the sound production of this CD sounds really vintage.

I am referring this review with a one CD version as this was when I knew the album the first time in the 70s. Of course the first two tracks "Heaven and Hell" and "I Can't Explain" represent already what I mean with dynamics performance. From the opening track I can hear how the four members of the band contribute one to another to produce great rock performance on stage. I enjoy Entwistle's bass playing because it reminds me in away with Uriah Heep's Gary Thain. It's really a joy listening to this live record. Daltrey provides some introduction just before "Fortune Teller". "Tattoo" provides some musical breaks but Keith Moon still provide with dynamic drumming.

"Young Man Blues" (5:51) is a very attractive song which gives Daltrey performs his evocative singing with strong accentuation. I love this song because it's dynamic and there are many breaks during the song. The bass guitar is powerful and tight, guitar solo is stunning and drumming is top notch. The CD also features the band's hit in US, "Happy Jack". Of course I like the band's epic from second album "A Quick One, While He's Away" (8:41) performed this time in live version and it sounds better than original studio version. Of course the most interesting part is the medley under "My Generation" where I can truly enjoy the great things about live album.

Overall, this is a must to those of you who love rock live performance as it offers you great performance by the band with great songs. Every home must have this record, I believe. It's a legend. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#180159) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by Warthur
4 stars This review is of the 2001 deluxe edition of the album. If it were of previous versions, I'd have probably knocked a star off. Whilst it is a legendary loud and noisy album, the first disc of the 2001 edition (which more or less conveys the content of the expanded 1995 edition, with the Tommy track moved to the Tommy performance) is actually a bit hit and miss. When it's good, it's fantastic, but there are little niggles here and there that stop me getting into it. First off, all the between-songs banter has been preserved, and whilst this does give an honest look at what the live performance was like it also occasionally drags on for too long - the worse instance of this is the intro to A Quick One While He's Away, which is absolutely interminable. Also, when the band try to play some of their lighter, gentler, airier studio material, their naturally raucous stage presence means it doesn't quite come across right.

However, the absolute top reason to acquire the 2001 deluxe remaster is the full performance of Tommy presented on the second disc - truly what most Who concert-goers were turning out to see at that point in time - and wow, what a performance. Songs which seemed limp and lifeless to my ears on the studio disc are invested with a thunderous, all conquering-power that makes this my preferred version of the Who's most famous rock opera. Three stars for disc 1, five stars for the Tommy disc, four stars overall.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#458608) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2011

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Historic pillar of rock music

I've often mentioned "spark" when reviewing albums and it's most appropriate here. "Live at Leeds" is not the definitive Who album some make it out to be, in terms of material it's far from the loftiest of Townshend peaks. However, it is the one with the most bang, the one with the most vicious of hands grabbing for your throat. It's up there with "Live Cream." For here is the one with the youth still in the bloodstream, the one well before the boys were tempered ever so slightly by excessive fun. Especially in the Moonie and Pete camps. Townshend's guitar sounds like the growl of a '69 Challenger revving inside the garage, pure brawn, growl, and spit. He crunches through these numbers with force and economic aggression. Meanwhile Moon matches him in performance, rolling and tumbling in tornadic fashion. The purist rock and bluesy numbers are suitable for the mood of the performance, expressing anger, bliss, and other testosterone fits in between. Several of the numbers have stoic introductions which add charm, and I'll add a plug for my favorite number from the early Who, "A Quick One." This deluxe edition also includes a performance of "Tommy" on a second disc. A nice bonus but it is the first disc that is the great one here. Not much needs to be said about Leeds: if you're a rock fan, it is essential listening both for pleasure and for understanding the influence this band would have on future rock bands.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#575673) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 26, 2011

4 stars Maybe it's a fake live album. Anyway, even if it's a false one, the music here is great at a point you can't imagine. Only 6 songs on the vinyl version (I own), including an almost-15-minute-long version of My G-g- g-g-g-eneration. The CD reissues proposes more and more bonus tracks (highly recom ... (read more)

Report this review (#163471) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 08, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars With THE WHO being one of the best (if not THE best) live band in the world at the time, a live LP couldn't have failed and it didnt. Not a lot I can say on this one except for stunning performance from all 4. Sound quality is excellent, really powerful. Always great to hear tracks that either w ... (read more)

Report this review (#130037) | Posted by kingdhansak | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WHO "Live At Leeds"