LIVE AT LEEDS

The Who Live At Leeds album cover

rock music collection

Buy THE WHO Music
Live, released in 1970

1. Heaven and Hell* (4:50)
2. I Can't Explain* (2:58)
3. Fortune Teller* (2:34)
4. Tattoo* (3:42)
5. Young Man Blues (5:51)
6. Substitute (2:06)
7. Happy Jack* (2:13)
8. I'm a Boy* (4:41)
9. A Quick One, While He's Away* (8:41)
10. Amazing Journey/Sparks* (7:54)
11. Summertime Blues (3:22)
12. Shakin' All Over (4:34)
13. My Generation (15:46)
14. Magic Bus (7:46)

Disc 2 (Tommy Live):
1. Overture (6:52)
2. It's a Boy (0:31)
3. 1921 (2:25)
4. Amazing Journey (3:17)
5. Sparks (4:22)
6. Eyesight to the Blind (The Hawker) (1:58)
7. Christmas (3:18)
8. The Acid Queen (3:34)
9. Pinball Wizard (2:52)
10. Do You Think It's Alright? (0:22)
11. Fiddle About (1:13)
12. Tommy, Can You Hear Me? (0:55)
13. There's a Doctor (0:23)
14. Go to the Mirror (3:24)
15. Smash the Mirror (1:18)
16. Miracle Cure (0:12)
17. Sally Simpson (4:00)
18. I'm Free (2:38)
19. Tommy's Holiday Camp (1:00)
20. We're Not Gonna Take It (8:47)

Search THE WHO Live At Leeds lyrics

Search THE WHO Live At Leeds tabs

- Roger Daltrey / lead vocals, harmonica, tambourine
- Pete Townshend / guitar, vocals
- John Entwistle / bass guitar, vocals
- Keith Moon / drums, vocals

MCA Single-disc Remaster with 8 bonus tracks released in 1995;
MCA 2-disc "Deluxe Edition" Extended Remaster released in 2001

Thanks to ClassicRocker for the addition

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO Live At Leeds Music

Who Sell OutWho Sell Out
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
JOHNNIE TAYLOR WHO'S MAKING LOVE/I'M TRYING STAX RECORDS 45 RPM 7" US $5.00 Buy It Now 30m 12s
THE WHO - The Story Of GATEFOLD 2 x VINYL LP + BOOKLET US $16.87 Buy It Now 30m 39s
COLOSSEUM - THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE... FONTANA UK 1969 ORIGINAL US $59.09 Buy It Now 31m 10s
Four Seasons ?- Who Loves You 7" Vinyl 45 Orig 70's Classic Ex Copy US $2.95 Buy It Now 31m 37s
The Who 7" 45 Aussie Vinyl Single - Pictures of Lily US $13.95 Buy It Now 31m 55s
BUFFSEEDS who stole the weekend CD 3 track digipack b/w strawberry and around th US $8.42 Buy It Now 33m 1s
THE GUESS WHO - GREATEST HITS [RCA] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $14.87 Buy It Now 34m 43s
THE NEW SEEKERS - PINBALL WIZARD/SEE ME FEEL ME YUGO PRESS 7"PS THE WHO 1973 US $19.99 Buy It Now 35m 33s
CD Who I Am Alan Jackson US $4.00 Buy It Now 36m 59s
JOURNEY "WHO'S CRYING NOW" 7in RECORD US $5.58 Buy It Now 37m 35s
MARY HOPKINS APPLE 45 KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE EX+/NM- WITH APPLE SLEEVE US $0.99 [0 bids]
38m 20s
The Man Who Sued God [DVD] [2003] By Billy Connolly,Judy Davis,Ben Gannon,Brian US $7.92 Buy It Now 40m 14s
DEBORAH COX "WHO DO YOU LOVE" AUSSIE CD SINGLE NM US $6.51 Buy It Now 42m 33s
CD The Man Who Lived Underground Freaks US $4.00 Buy It Now 45m 12s
LP- PETULA CLARK "COLOR MY WORLD/WHO AM I" WARNER BROS. 1673 (Mono) US $9.99 Buy It Now 45m 46s
CD Who Let the Dogs Out Baha Men US $4.00 Buy It Now 47m 47s
HEAVEN 17 temptation 12" b/w who''ll stop the rain & we live so fast, limited ed US $11.80 Buy It Now 47m 59s
THE WHO - 5.15/WATER VERY RARE YUGO PRESS 7" PS 1974 US $21.99 Buy It Now 48m 13s
THE WHO-TOMMY ( 2 DISC)(CD) NEW AND SEALED!! DELUXE EDITION US $16.73 Buy It Now 49m 16s
AC / DC - Framed CD Presentation Disc Display US $25.31 Buy It Now 50m 37s
Ask A Woman Who Knows, Cole, Natalie, Good US $4.59 Buy It Now 50m 57s
Who Is Your Superhero 03 2 CD Video Stephan Mathieu LOW US $39.99 Buy It Now 56m 24s
Taylor,Johnnie - Who's Making Love [CD New] US $9.36 Buy It Now 57m 38s
Travis - Man Who (2004) 13 US $5.49 Buy It Now 57m 45s
A-Team - Who Re-Framed The A-Team? [CD New] US $10.12 Buy It Now 59m 9s
A Flock Of Seagulls Who's That Girl UK 3 mixes 12" US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h
George Jones Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes & Wine Colored Roses rare LP's great US $16.99 [0 bids]
1h
THE GUESS WHO - GREATEST HITS [RCA] [THE GUESS WHO] [CD] [1 DISC] - NEW CD US $7.01 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Beatles Zeppelin The Who Plus Other Vintage & Rare 45's From The 60's & 70's!!! US $85.99 [0 bids]
Icon - Who US $6.20 Buy It Now 1h 2m
ERIC MCFADDEN / Who's Laughing Now? 1996 CHEEZEWEASEL MUSIC US $12.00 [0 bids]
Pete Townshend cassette tape, Psychoderelict, sealed, NEW, mint, The Who US $2.99 [0 bids]
ROGER DALTREY The WHO 3 LP Lot Ride a Rock Horse Under Raging Moon Parting US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
ROGER DALTREY UNDER A RAGING MOON THE WHO ATLANTIC 1985 US $1.99 [0 bids]
PETE TOWNSHEND Empty Glass LP THE WHO US $15.19 Buy It Now 1h 4m
THE JAM Just Who Is The 5 O'Clock Hero? Ex Polydor 1982 P/S EP US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 4m
WHO'S THAT GIRL OST 1987 JAPAN CD 32XD MADONNA US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Quadrophenia [The Director's Cut Super Deluxe Edition] by Who (The) (CD,... US $139.85 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Dr. John - Who Was Mac Rebennack? [CD New] US $12.38 Buy It Now 1h 9m
WOODSTOCK OST JAPAN 2 CD OBI 3378yen 32P2 JOE COCKER THE WHO JOAN BAEZ SANTANA US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
CILLA BLACK, ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART ,7" VINYL US $0.42 [1 bids]
DIDO - Framed CD Presentation Disc Display US $25.31 Buy It Now 1h 20m
TEXAS IS THE REASON-Do You Know Who You Are? Complete Coll CD-NEW in AUSTRALIA US $18.58 Buy It Now 1h 24m
70's Rock Lot 5 LP Styx, The Who, Supertramp All ULTRASONIC Cleaned, VG-EXC 19 US $16.99 [0 bids]
K-TEL LP COMEDY CLASSICS FAVORITE ROUTINES WHO'S ON FIRST BY ABBOTT COSTELLO +++ US $25.00 Buy It Now 1h 25m
DEAN MARTIN I'm The One Who Loves You Ex Reprise 1965 UK LP US $11.80 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE WHO ENDLESS WIRE RARE ORIGINAL OFFICIAL RECORD COMPANY POSTER US $13.49 Buy It Now 1h 29m
AC/DC Who Made Who Maximum Overdrive Soundtrack 1986 RCA Press, ULTRASONIC CLEAN US $17.60 Buy It Now 1h 30m
RUSSIAN ORTHODOX MUSIC ~ WHO IS A GREAT A GOD AS OUR GOD 2CD DELUXE NEW US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Burton Cummings debut Rare LP great condition the Guess Who US $9.99 [0 bids]
Andrew Jackson Jihad - People Who Can Eat People Are (2007) - Used - Compac US $5.98 Buy It Now 1h 33m
THE BEATLES JOHN LENNON MCCARTNEY HARRISON 3 X RARE OZ MAGS AUSTRALIAN WHO MOJO US $11.15 [0 bids]
78 RPM RECORD/5) DORIS DAY / WHO WHO WHO US $4.99 [0 bids]
JEWEL *VG* 1994 US ATLANTIC CD SINGLE "WHO WILL SAVE YOUR SOUL?" US $8.79 Buy It Now 1h 36m
ZEPPELIN+WINGS+BOSS+WHO+BOSTON+VA *VG+* 1992 US COMP CD "ROCK 'N ROLL FANTASY" US $16.79 Buy It Now 1h 36m
MEGADETH - PEACE SELLS BUT WHO'S BUYING - NEW CD ALBUM US $9.27 Buy It Now 1h 37m
CD He Who Holds You Rollo Tomasi EP US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Modest Mouse -Good News For People Who Love Bad News CD 2004 MINT! US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
MUSIC DE WOLFE LIBRARY LP 3114 ~ WHO'S GONNA BUY? ~ THE LEMON DIPS ~ FREAKBEAT US $422.08 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Rare Northern Soul Little Milton Whos Cheating Who? Checker 1113 45rpm Aint No US $9.99 [0 bids]
Rare The Who Track Records 60106 45rpm See Me Feel Me Overture From Tommy MCA NR US $5.99 [0 bids]
HURRICANE SMITH Who Was It Ex Columbia 1972 German P/S 7" US $6.74 Buy It Now 1h 48m
THE WHO - LIVE AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL (2003 3 X CD ALBUM) EXCELLENT CONDITION US $11.80 Buy It Now 1h 49m
1950s R&B Nappy Brown Savoy 1569 45rpm For Those Who Love This Is My Confession US $9.99 [0 bids]
Rare Charlie Rich Phillips 3566 45rpm Caught In The Middle Who Will Be Next NR US $7.99 [0 bids]
Aretha Franklin(12" Vinyl)Who's Zoomin Who-Arista-ARIST 22633-UK-VG/Ex US $13.15 Buy It Now 1h 50m
Austin Howard(12" Vinyl)I'm The One Who Really Loves You-10-TEN 97-12-UK-VG/Ex US $13.15 Buy It Now 1h 50m
The Who(7" Vinyl)Join Together-T Rack-2094 102-UK-Ex/VG+ US $11.80 Buy It Now 1h 51m
All Out War For Those Who Were Crucified CD NEW (UK Import) US $18.56 Buy It Now 1h 52m
MEGADETH - PEACE SELLS BUT WHO'S BUYING DELUXE VERSION - NEW CD ALBUM US $10.96 Buy It Now 1h 53m
RITA COOLIDGE - Higher & Higher / Who's To Bless & Who's To Blame - 45RPM US $1.25 [1 bids]
Who to Salute by Beezewax (CD, Aug-2006, Reveal Records) US $20.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
Philippines ERASURE Who Needs Love Like That, 12" EP US $80.00 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Man Two Man Who Knows What Evil (Frightmare mix)(PS) 12" Vinyl Single US $11.82 Buy It Now 1h 56m
(DADDY COOL -Daddy Who? DADDY GOLD!)-icons of Australian rock-G4-LP US $24.16 Buy It Now 1h 57m
ROBERT CRAY Who's Been Talkin' Ex+ Charly 1986 UK Blues LP US $11.80 Buy It Now 1h 58m
PLANK, Conny/VARIOUS - Who's That Man: A Tribute To Conny Plank - unmixed 4xCD US $85.24 Buy It Now 1h 59m
TRAVIS - THE MAN WHO *GOING CHEAP US $2.32 Buy It Now 2h
Yannis Markopoulos*- Who Pays The Ferryman? 7" US $6.75 Buy It Now 2h
JOURNEY 7" PS JAPAN WHO DRYING NOW j318 US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h
Who Will Save You Now? CD (2004) US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 2m
O'Jays*- Love Train / Who Am I 7" US $8.42 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Baha Men - Who Let The Dogs Out (2000) - Used - Compact Disc US $3.65 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Zz/Various Artists - Who Let The Hits Out (2001) - Used - Compact Disc US $1.37 Buy It Now 2h 9m
BASTARDS OF FATE, The - Who's A Fuzzy Buddy - LP + free MP3 download code US $24.13 Buy It Now 2h 9m
The Who Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy LP US $19.77 Buy It Now 2h 12m
The Who Who's Last 1984 CRC Press, ULTRASONIC CLEANED! A+ SOUND, Near Mint US $7.99 [0 bids]
The Art of Noise Who's Afraid of Sterling 1984 1st Press, STEAM CLEANED US $7.99 [1 bids]
I (WHO HAVE NOTHING) TOM JONES USED RECORD GC LP US $2.95 Buy It Now 2h 12m
SHIRLEY BASSEY I Who Have Nothing Ex+ Columbia 1963 UK 1960s Pop 7"* US $5.03 Buy It Now 2h 12m
7" DAVE BARTHOLOMEW "WHO DRANK THE BEER WHILE I WAS IN THE REAR " REISSUE US $10.50 Buy It Now 2h 13m
DEAN MARTIN I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU ALBUM USED US $2.95 Buy It Now 2h 16m
USED 2) COMPACT DISKS AC / DC WHO MADE WHO, BALL BREAKER US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 16m
WHO SHE LOVE - Coco Tea, Home T4 & Shabba Ranks (RD4126) US $6.74 Buy It Now 2h 17m
98 Rock "Sac Rocks 9: Who's Next?" KRXQ-FM Sacramento Radio CD Like New OOP 93 R US $14.95 [0 bids]
HORACE ANDY- Say Who CD (2012 MINT) Kingston Sounds, Reggae US $7.77 Buy It Now 2h 17m
THE WHO- Pinball Wizard Collection CD (2012) Best of/Greatest Hits +2 Live US $7.68 Buy It Now 2h 17m
DEEP PURPLE - Who Do We Think We Are - 24k Gold CD - AFZ 027 - AUDIO FIDELITY US $55.26 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - Who Do We Think We Are - 24 kt Gold CD - AFZ027 - AUDIO FIDELITY US $47.51 [0 bids]
BRITTEN, BENJAMIN - BENJAMIN BRITTEN: WHO ARE THESE CHILDREN? - NEW CD US $9.70 Buy It Now 2h 19m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO Live At Leeds ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(47%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(35%)

THE WHO Live At Leeds reviews

Review by 1800iareyay
4 stars Live at Leeds is the greatest live album of al time. I am certainly not the first to make that statement, and it is highly unlikely I will be the last. Following the grueling tour for the surprise hit Tommy, Townshend collected all of the live tapes recorded in America, "burned them in a big bonfire," and chose the show at Leeds University. he also wanted to take The Who back to their hard rocking roots. The result was THE example of warts 'n all recordings that stands as of The Who's best albums.

Things open with a bang on "Heaven and hell," the entwistle-penned tune that never made it to the studio. Townshend and Entwistle shine, but the real star is Moon, who crashes away like a man possessed. They then play a fine selection of their early jits, from "I Can't Explain" through "Tattoo." Then "Young Man Blues" enters with stop-start music and lyrics and Pete and John both get to prove their skill over more wild drumming and Roger's great vocals. This is one of several covers on the album that not only captures the spirit of the original (rare for covers), it makes the songs better. The set ends with a jam version of "My Generation" that has a few sound bugs in it (hence the birth of warts 'n all) before they clsoe with "Magic Bus."

The deluxe edition contains Tommy in one of its most complete live forms (the band never played the full thing live). Detractors would say this eradicates the back to basics ethos of the original, and in a sense they are right. However, the energy that the Tommy material is infused with here makes it a welcome addition.

It's not prog, in fact it's anti-prog. However, you cannot call yourself a rock fan without this album. get the deluxe edition, it is well worth the cost.

Grade: B+

Send comments to 1800iareyay (BETA) | Report this review (#129862) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, July 22, 2007

Review by fuxi
3 stars People have repeated so often that LIVE AT LEEDS is the greatest live album of all time you'd ALMOST start believing them. They're wrong, though. I can think of dozens of live albums that are more colourful and varied, more musically accomplished, more emotional - starting with Duke Ellington LIVE AT NEWPORT (1956), and so on through the decades.

However, LIVE AT LEEDS does contain some of the most strikingly energetic rock performances ever. In my view, it's especially noteworthy because of its cover versions. The original LP contained just six tracks, among which the Pete Townshend compositions are by far the weakest. "Substitute" sounded more charming in its original studio version. Similarly, the live performance of "My Generation" feels too heavy (I prefer the quick, revolutionary original) and too long drawn-out (almost 16 minutes!) although it does incorporate the band's most triumphant ever performance of the "Underture" from TOMMY (also known as "Sparks").

No, "Summertime Blues", "Shaking all Over" and "Young Man Blues" are where true glory lies. Especially the last-named. This must be the noisiest ever performance by one of the classic 1960s bands - but how sublime the noise! If you'll allow me to paraphrase one of Ireland's greatest writers:

When things go wrong and will not come right, / Though you do the best you can, / When life looks black as the hour of night - / "YOUNG MAN BLUES" IS YOUR ONLY MAN!

If you grade LIVE AT LEEDS purely on its musical merits, it undoubtedly deserves four stars, but since (this time) the connection with progressive rock is really rather tenuous, allow me to stick to three.

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#129947) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 23, 2007

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars Should you desire to skip The Who's 60's works or have a quick overview, the extended version (remastered) of the Leeds album would be the perfect disc to do so. It contains live version of most of their classics (Generation, Explain, Magic Bus, Substitute, Happy Jack and more, even with their first "mini-opera" A Quick One), but on top of it, you have an excellent live rendition, giving a more appropriate idea of what they were about. Don't expect much in terms of progressiveness out of their 60's works, and this album will make no exception, but in sorts, this album must be seen as a turning of the page of the group's passage from teendom to adulthood. Of note is the weird (and "prog-esque") A Quick One, the extended (15 minutes) My Generation (a medley really with many different passages, most noteworthy a See Me Feel Me excerpt), the great Diddley-esque Magic Bus and the Tommy excerpts of Amazing Journey/Sparks.

Essential only to the progheads' whose Who affinity is extended to an historical aspect of their career, Leeds is a legendary live album that received another boost with the bonus track, the full Leeds concert being presented minus the Tommy "opera suite". Definitely has its place in my shelves, especially in its full version.

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#130040) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Review by ZowieZiggy
5 stars CAUTION - THIS IS DYNAMITE

One take.

That's what The Who had left from their extensive tour after the "Tommy" release.The idea of making a live album was decided during the 1969-1970 tour and tapes from a lot of concerts were considered to create it.

When the band was confronted to the daunting task of selecting the best numbers of all these concerts to compile them into a solid live album, The Who were too lazy to listen to all these reels and preferred to burn the tapes (according the legend to avoid these from being bootlegged) and they scheduled two new shows, one at the University of Leeds (February 14th) and the other in Hull (February 15th).

For technical reasons (the bass was not recorded on the tapes) the Hull concert could not be considered for the final recordings; so only the Leeds ones had to do it. Needless to say that the conditions of the "concert hall" were not at all ideal. The concert was recorded in the refectoire of the university and nor the sound nor the visual conditions were great (to say the least).

Anyway, here we go for what I consider one of the greatest live rock albums of all times. In-line with "Made In Japan", "Uriah Heep Live 73", "Rock'n'Roll Animal" and "Slade Alive!". In terms of prog, I would add "Genesis Live" and "Keys To Ascension I".

Just bear in mind that "Live At Leeds" was released well ahead all the other ones.

The Who were one of the best live act in the rock history. Extremely violent. Not only because Pete was smashing his guitar on stage, but the whole band were really disjointed for the era (mid to late sixties).

I purchased the original vinyl version in 1971while I was twelve. This contained only six numbers of which three were rock or blues classics ("Young Man Blues", "Summertime Blues" - superb rendition to be honest, and "Shakin' All Over"). "Substitute" was formatted as the original but "Magic Bus" was quite extended (almost eight minutes) and the version of "My Generation" featured here is rather disjointed. If you doubt about the hardness of a Who live concert, just listen to this piece of music. It definitely has influenced some excesses of the Purple on stage.

The original album was just over thirty-five minutes lenght.

Years later (in 1995), a remastered version saw the light and clocked at almost the full CD capacity, including their first attempt of a mini-rock opera : "A Quick One, While He's Away" released in 1966 on their studio album "A Quick One" (not easy to perform live, I would say). This version is far much heavier and rockier than its studio counter-part. A great moment of music, indeed. When you listen to intro of this number (about FIVE minutes), you'll be immediately brought into Peter Gabriel's world while he was introducng most of the Genesis classis. Again, this was recorded in February 1970, earlier than any weird little stories from Peter...

A bit of "Tommy" (more to come) with "Amazing Journey/ Sparks", a bit of Who standards with "I Can't Explain", some good Who songs as well with "Tatoo", "Happy Jack", "I'm A Boy" as well as a great version of "Fortune Teller" were of course more than welcome.

But the real big thing is the deluxe two CD edition released in 2001 which features almost the whole of "Tommy" in an incredible live version. Of course, "Underture" is not played but this recording is really extraordinary. Of course, when "Tommy" is mentioned, I am completely biased. I just adore this album so I can only advise you to grab the deluxe edition.

You'll get a typical Who concert like the one from Woodstock, also available (but in boot format) and the Isle of Whight one. On both of these, the sequence of the original concerts are kept (which is not the case on Live At Leeds).

Four numbers were played after "Tommy" : "Summertime Blues," "Shakin' All Over," "My Generation," and "Magic Bus" but maybe for consistency reasons, the whole of "Tommy" was placed on the whole of the second CD.

This fully expanded "Live At Leeds" is GORGEOUS and I will rate it with five stars (while the original would probably deserve three and the remastered version four).

This live album has of course nothing to do with prog. It is wild, it rocks like hell and a like it an awful lot.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#130218) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2007

4 stars I have the 1995 remaster which is really the whole concert except instead of the whole "Tommy" suite there are instead just two songs off of it added here.This was actually released after the "Tommy" album and before the "Who's Next" record. The band had just completed a tour of the U.S. and had recorded several of the shows, but Pete Townsend didn't want the job of going through all that material so he had the sound engineer burn all the tapes. Instead they played a concert at Leeds University on February 14,1970 and recorded it warts and all, and originally released it with just 6 songs on it. Coming off a long tour these guys were at the top of their game. What impressed me most was the playing of Keith Moon. He is leading the way often, and is rarely not heard. Yet there are no drum solos from him, just amazing playing. All four of these men are so talented and this recording really gives us a chance to hear their skills while they are in their prime.

"Heaven And Hell" was often a concert opener for the band in the late sixties. It's a John Entwistle song and one of his best. Not surprisingly the bass work is a highlight on this track. I also like the raw and aggressive guitar solo from Townhend 2 minutes in and later. "I Can't Explain" was the first single they ever released. The original single had Jimmy Page on second guitar. This has a good beat to it. "Fortune Teller" is a cover of a Benny Spellman hit, an R&B tune that really kicks in at the 2 minute mark where they are really working hard. "Tattoo" is a great song, I especially like the mellow sections. "Young Man Blues" is another cover that sound so good live. A blues song from 1957 that has such a good rhythm to it. I mean check out Moon and Entwistle on this one. Especially Moon ! Love the guitar as well in this ass kicking song. "Substitute" again features Moon outfront and leading, it blends into "Happy Jack" where Keith continues to blow me away. Cool lyrics as well. "I'm A Boy" is an energetic,uptempo tune. "A Quick One, While He's Away" is like a mini rock opera with six very different parts to it. It actually works here.

"Amazing Journey / Sparks" is part of the "Tommy" suite. Here we get about 7 1/2 minutes of what would have been about one hour and fifteen minutes worth of music. This is a great little snippet though, I especially like the "Sparks" song. It takes about a minute for Moon to start to take control before Townshend fires off a round 3 1/2 minutes in. A catchy melody follows. From the five minute mark on this is pure bliss for me. The drums and guitars making a magic soundscape. The next two songs are covers, and to be honest i'm not a fan of either, although "Summertime Blues" is pretty good. "My Generation" is almost 15 minutes long but only the first 3 minutes are actually that song, as they veer off into sections of "Tommy" the rest of the way. This is my favourite song on this album. The bass playing, the ripping guitar solos, and of course Moon. I can't say enough about the band interplay on this one either, just incredible instrumental work here. "Magic Bus" is blues flavoured here with even a harmonica solo. Some great guitar late.

So there it is with the plain cover and what looks like a rubber stamped title on it, but that is the only ordinary thing about this live recording. Again when you listen to this, pay attention to Keith Moon and I know you'll be impressed. 4 solid stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#136118) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, September 03, 2007

Review by Gatot
4 stars Well, if you were there in the seventies, this album must be one of your precious collection of live albums altogether with Uriah Heep "Live 1973", Deep Purple "Made in Japan", Grand Funk Railroad "Live", Led Zeppelin "The Song Remains The Same" , Yes "Yessongs" and Genesis "Live". In fact it's quite hard for me to select which one is the best because all of them are great and each have their own unique identity and characteristic as a rock band. As far as "Live at Leeds", one thing that I like is the sheer dynamics of the music, especially performed live, which is much better than the studio version. With limited technology, the sound production of this CD sounds really vintage.

I am referring this review with a one CD version as this was when I knew the album the first time in the 70s. Of course the first two tracks "Heaven and Hell" and "I Can't Explain" represent already what I mean with dynamics performance. From the opening track I can hear how the four members of the band contribute one to another to produce great rock performance on stage. I enjoy Entwistle's bass playing because it reminds me in away with Uriah Heep's Gary Thain. It's really a joy listening to this live record. Daltrey provides some introduction just before "Fortune Teller". "Tattoo" provides some musical breaks but Keith Moon still provide with dynamic drumming.

"Young Man Blues" (5:51) is a very attractive song which gives Daltrey performs his evocative singing with strong accentuation. I love this song because it's dynamic and there are many breaks during the song. The bass guitar is powerful and tight, guitar solo is stunning and drumming is top notch. The CD also features the band's hit in US, "Happy Jack". Of course I like the band's epic from second album "A Quick One, While He's Away" (8:41) performed this time in live version and it sounds better than original studio version. Of course the most interesting part is the medley under "My Generation" where I can truly enjoy the great things about live album.

Overall, this is a must to those of you who love rock live performance as it offers you great performance by the band with great songs. Every home must have this record, I believe. It's a legend. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW (i-Rock! Music Community)

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#180159) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Review by Warthur
3 stars This review is of the 2001 deluxe edition of the album. If it were of previous versions, I'd have probably knocked half star off. Whilst it is a legendary loud and noisy album, the first disc of the 2001 edition (which more or less conveys the content of the expanded 1995 edition, with the Tommy track moved to the Tommy performance) is actually a bit hit and miss. When it's good, it's fantastic, but there are little niggles here and there that stop me getting into it. First off, all the between-songs banter has been preserved, and whilst this does give an honest look at what the live performance was like it also occasionally drags on for too long - the worse instance of this is the intro to A Quick One While He's Away, which is absolutely interminable (and, when the band start sniggering about underage girls being "seduced" by old men, really kind of disturbing in retrospect). Also, when the band try to play some of their lighter, gentler, airier studio material, their naturally raucous stage presence means it doesn't quite come across right.

However, the absolute top reason to acquire the 2001 deluxe remaster is the full performance of Tommy presented on the second disc - truly what most Who concert-goers were turning out to see at that point in time - and that's where you get your money's worth. Songs which seemed limp and lifeless to my ears on the studio disc are invested with a thunderous, all conquering-power that makes this my preferred version of the Who's most famous rock opera. Two and a half stars for disc 1, three and a half stars for the Tommy disc, three stars overall.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#458608) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2011

Review by Finnforest
4 stars Historic pillar of rock music

I've often mentioned "spark" when reviewing albums and it's most appropriate here. "Live at Leeds" is not the definitive Who album some make it out to be, in terms of material it's far from the loftiest of Townshend peaks. However, it is the one with the most bang, the one with the most vicious of hands grabbing for your throat. It's up there with "Live Cream." For here is the one with the youth still in the bloodstream, the one well before the boys were tempered ever so slightly by excessive fun. Especially in the Moonie and Pete camps. Townshend's guitar sounds like the growl of a '69 Challenger revving inside the garage, pure brawn, growl, and spit. He crunches through these numbers with force and economic aggression. Meanwhile Moon matches him in performance, rolling and tumbling in tornadic fashion. The purist rock and bluesy numbers are suitable for the mood of the performance, expressing anger, bliss, and other testosterone fits in between. Several of the numbers have stoic introductions which add charm, and I'll add a plug for my favorite number from the early Who, "A Quick One." This deluxe edition also includes a performance of "Tommy" on a second disc. A nice bonus but it is the first disc that is the great one here. Not much needs to be said about Leeds: if you're a rock fan, it is essential listening both for pleasure and for understanding the influence this band would have on future rock bands.

Send comments to Finnforest (BETA) | Report this review (#575673) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 26, 2011

4 stars Maybe it's a fake live album. Anyway, even if it's a false one, the music here is great at a point you can't imagine. Only 6 songs on the vinyl version (I own), including an almost-15-minute-long version of My G-g- g-g-g-eneration. The CD reissues proposes more and more bonus tracks (highly recom ... (read more)

Report this review (#163471) | Posted by Zardoz | Saturday, March 08, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars With THE WHO being one of the best (if not THE best) live band in the world at the time, a live LP couldn't have failed and it didnt. Not a lot I can say on this one except for stunning performance from all 4. Sound quality is excellent, really powerful. Always great to hear tracks that either w ... (read more)

Report this review (#130037) | Posted by kingdhansak | Tuesday, July 24, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WHO "Live At Leeds"