MY GENERATION - THE VERY BEST OF THE WHO

Proto-Prog

The Who My Generation - The Very Best of The Who album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1996

1. I Can`t Explain (2:04)
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (2:40)
3. My Generation (3:18)
4. Substitute (3:47)
5. I`m a Boy (2:36) *
6. Boris the Spider (2:27)
7. Happy Jack (2:11)
8. Pictures of Lily (2:45)
9. I Can See for Miles (4:21) *

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who lyrics

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who tabs

- Roger Daltrey / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass guitar, brass and vocals
- Keith Moon / drums (except track 20 - Kenney Jones)
- Pete Townshend / guitar, synthesizers, piano and vocals

C.D. (U.S.): MCA MCAD-11462.

Thanks to Guillermo for the addition

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who Music

Who Sell OutWho Sell Out
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
ARETHA FRANKLIN WHO'S ZOOMIN WHO? LP NEVER OPENED-SMOKE FREE STORED SINCE NEW! US $21.00 [0 bids]
31m 28s
The Guess Who "Hand Me Down World" / "Runnin' Down The Street" 7" SINGLE US $0.99 [0 bids]
32m 32s
QUADROPHENIA: ORIGINAL FILM SOUNDTRACK CD THE WHO / NEW US $7.57 Buy It Now 32m 48s
VG++ EDDY RAVEN WHO DO YOU KNOW IN CALIF./THINKING IT OVER 1981 45 RPM ELEKTRA US $3.98 Buy It Now 32m 50s
2 LP Lot The Who "Odds & Sods" & Robin Trower "Live" US $13.99 Buy It Now 32m 58s
The Man Who by Travis (UK) (CD, Apr-2000, Epic (USA)) New Sealed SS Unopen US $6.00 [0 bids]
33m 23s
BRYAN AUSTIN "WHO HAS THE LAST LAUGH NOW" LISTEN! US $50.82 Buy It Now 34m 7s
THE SPORTS ~ WHO LISTENS TO THE RADIO? EP ** 1979 STIFF 45 US $7.10 [3 bids]
35m 22s
BLACK IVORY FIND THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU, TODAY US UNPLAYED SUPERB L@@K US $8.46 [0 bids]
35m 27s
Vintage The Best Of The Guess Who 8 Track Tape Tested [LOOK] US $0.99 [0 bids]
37m 54s
Larsen-Feiten Band - WHO'LL BE THE FOOL TONIGHT / FURTHER NOTICE 45rpm US $3.99 Buy It Now 40m 47s
RARE HIGH NUMBERS THE WHO 45 7" I'M THE FACE /ZOOT SUIT BACK DOOR MOD BEAT ROCK US $29.99 [0 bids]
42m 14s
JUDY COLLENS, 45 rpm, 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' & 'Both Sides Now' US $0.99 [0 bids]
44m 22s
(Chrysalis) JELLYBEAN "Who Found You" 1987 HOUSE vinyl US $5.99 Buy It Now 44m 26s
Who Says God Is Dead (CD) Loretta Lynn US $77.50 Buy It Now 45m 50s
BLUES WIRE- WHO's CALLING ANO KATO RECORDS CD MINT GREEK ROCK JAZZ BLUES US $19.99 [0 bids]
46m 4s
WHITEHOUSE CONNECTION - WHO'S IN THE WHITEHOUSE 7" VINYL PS US $11.00 Buy It Now 46m 19s
FASCINATORS Come To Paradise/Who Do You Think 7" VINYL MAD MIKE GROUP RECORD US $14.99 Buy It Now 46m 30s
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News [CD New] US $7.03 Buy It Now 46m 45s
Elton Britt I'm the One Who Loves You Western 45 Green Wax Vinyl I'll Find You US $14.95 Buy It Now 49m 11s
UK Print Baktabak Records Who Are the Stones Rolling Stones Picture Disc BAK2109 US $35.00 Buy It Now 50m 12s
Who Made Who [Remaster] by AC/DC (CD, Jun-1986, Atco (USA)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
51m 3s
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN - WHO'LL STOPTHE BOSS - VERY RARE - CD US $39.99 [0 bids]
52m 7s
THE WHO PINBALL WIZARD Capitol Centre Largo 1973 Oil Well records RSC 007 US $32.99 Buy It Now 54m 13s
PROMO CREEDENCE CCR Travelin Band Who'll StopThe Rain 45rpm VINYL PICTURE SLEEVE US $9.99 [1 bids]
54m 50s
B.B. KING - GUESS WHO - NEW CD US $10.60 Buy It Now 58m 2s
THE FOUR LADS IT'S SO EASY TO FORGET/ WHO NEEDS YOU 45 VINYL COLUMBIA US $0.99 Buy It Now 59m 42s
BONNIE SLOAN NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW/ THE WOMAN WHO MADE HIM THAT WAY 45 VINYL US $0.99 Buy It Now 59m 42s
JOHNNY J & THE HIT MEN LOOKIN'/ (WHO DAT) HOUND DOG 45 VINYL ROMAN US $20.00 Buy It Now 59m 42s
THE WHO-MY GENERATION-65 UK 1ST PRESS!!! BRUNSWICK-LOVELY AUDIO!!! US $37.28 [8 bids]
1h
The Guess Who - The Greatest Of The Guess Who LP AYL1-3746 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h
HOT CUISINE - Who's Been Kissing You? - FUNK SOUL DISCO 12" Promo BIDDU US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h
THE WHO LIVE AT LEEDS [Remaster] (CD, Feb-1995, MCA) Numbered Limited Edition US $21.24 Buy It Now 1h 2m
dionne warwick - anyone who had a heart - 7" vinyl single US $11.84 Buy It Now 1h 3m
WHO: Athena + 2 (rock & pop vinyl 12) US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
four seasons 7" who loves you / disco version 1975 original warner K16602 EX US $6.34 Buy It Now 1h 4m
FREE SHIP - Housemartins - Think For A Minute 7" b/w Who Needs The Limelight UK US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 4m
THE WHO - 7" Platinum Disc - HAPPY JACK US $118.62 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Rod Bernard HALL-WAY 1902 Colinda and Who's Gonna Walk My Baby US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 5m
El DeBarge - Who's Johnny / Love In A Special Way (VG) 1983 #1224 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Slip Treble: The Charlatans : Who We Touch Tour Live Brixton Academy 2010 US $15.23 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Who "Hooligans" US $21.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Who "Who Are You" (Tan label) US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 10m
THE WHO "Live At Leeds" US orig PROMO LP w/ 10 inserts!!! US $9.33 [0 bids]
VARIOUS: Country Music Who's Who (country vinyl LP) US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 11m
COUNTRY CD" (142) "CONWAY TWITTY--WHO WILL PRAY FOR ME" # MCAD-20716 MCA RECORDS US $1.95 [1 bids]
LOT OF 30 VINYL RECORD 45 SINGLE 1960'S WHO ANIMALS STONES TURTLE THEM US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Planet Funk - Who Said (Stuck In The UK) 5 Track CD Single US $6.52 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Who Let the Dogs Out by Baha Men (CD, Jul-2000, Artemis Records) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
JOHN LENNON & YOKO ONO: Instant Karma! / Who Has Seen The Wind 45 (PS, sl wear) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
(BK577) Marmaduke Dando, Who Would Have Thought - DJ CD US $5.07 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Norman Connors: Remember Who You Are (CD, 1993) NEW SS US $29.90 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Lloyd Price: Just Call Me (And I'll Understand) / Who Coulda' Told You 45 US $2.80 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Pearl Jam Who You Are / Habit 45rpm 7' Vinyl Rare US $5.99 [0 bids]
Rock 45 ATLANTA RHYTHM SECTION Who You Gonna Run To on Polydor US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Who I Am by Jessica Andrews (CD, Feb-2001, Dreamworks SKG) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Who "Who By Numbers" LP MCA Records MCA-2161 1975 US $4.75 [0 bids]
*NO BARCODE* *ROCK* ~THE GUESS WHO~ ::: Wild One ::: PICKWICK C/O (UNSealed) US $9.99 [0 bids]
BIG DADDY GREEN: Who Done It / You Gave Me A Reason To Live 45 Soul US $35.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Eddie Long Those Who Are Not Prepared Will Not Survive... Audio CD US $11.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Elton John - Who Wears These Shoes? - Picture Sleeve ONLY - Geffen - 1984 US $2.00 [0 bids]
DEEP PURPLE - WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE (180GM) NEW VINYL US $44.21 Buy It Now 1h 23m
VINYL RECORD 45 SINGLE THE WHO HAPPY JACK / I'VE BEEN AWAY UK 1966 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Who Let the Dogs Out by Baha Men (CD, Jul-2000, Artemis Records) US $1.50 [0 bids]
The who by numbers ! Vinyl ! Brand New LP ! THE WHO BY NUMBERS US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
The Who Sell Out ! Vinyl ! Brand New LP US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
LARSEN-FEITEN BAND "WHO'LL BE THE FOOL TONIGHT" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Alan Jackson - Who I Am CD Contemporary Country US $7.95 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Who I Am by Alan Jackson (CD, Jun-1994, Arista) US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Who Killed...... The Zutons by The Zutons (CD, Oct-2004, Epic (USA)) US $1.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE WHO - SOUVENIR - TWO LIVE SHOWS ON 2 LP'S - VERY RARE ISSUE - EXCELLENT! US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE WHO PETE TOWNSHEND DEEP END LIVE JAPAN IMPORT REMASTER US $25.00 [0 bids]
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me by Original Soundtrack (CD, Jun-1999, Warn US $1.00 Buy It Now 1h 28m
BING CROSBY 78RPM-PALE MOON/WHO CALLS US $3.00 [0 bids]
The Best of the Guess Who! 8 TRACK TAPE Plays! US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Lot: 2 TOM JONES Parrot STEREO LPs - Fever Zone / I (Who Have Nothing) US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Temptations-I wonder who she's seeing now-1987 12" Promo single Motown US $11.84 Buy It Now 1h 32m
david bowie the man who sold the world RCA AYL 1-4654 1972 vinyl record lp US $7.50 [2 bids]
The Who 1970 Album Live At Leeds Original Vinyl LP (1970) * US $8.00 [0 bids]
JAMES - What For / James Who? A Talk With...12" '88 promo-only Sire US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
And Then There Were None, Who Speaks for Planet Earth Audio CD US $5.91 Buy It Now 1h 35m
BOBBY BARE You Know Who (Stereo) b/w (mono) PROMO COPY 45 M-- US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 36m
MICHAEL JACKSON 7" SPAIN PROMO 45 PS SPANISH TOUR ONE SIDE PROMO WHO IS IT US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 36m
(BJ671) Mystery Jets, The Boy Who Ran Away - 2006 CD US $5.07 Buy It Now 1h 36m
THE WHO / CIRCLE ,/ MOD PATCH ,,,,,..... US $5.07 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Lunaticworks - Vol 2 Who's in Charge? CD electro techno US $2.49 Buy It Now 1h 37m
THE WHO Kenney Jones VINTAGE 1980's ROCK ON POSTER! US $20.32 Buy It Now 1h 38m
AC/DC Who Made Who original LP US $5.00 [1 bids]
Face Dances/The Who Vintage Vinyl LP Album, Warner Bros. US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
The Guess Who Flavours 1974 RCA Records New Factory Sealed US $20.00 [0 bids]
Rock 45 Four Seasons Who Loves You / Who Loves You (Disco Version) on Warner Bro US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
331/3 RECORD ALBUM/THE WHO/ FACE DANCES/ 1981 US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
THE WHO Framed Album Cover LP sleeve "Who's Last" in a NEW FRAME Fathers Day? US $25.40 Buy It Now 1h 50m
HEAVY D & THE BOYZ~WHO'S THE MAN~MINT~UPTOWN 54543~~ FUNK 45 US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Madonna Who's That Girl Like A Prayer Erotica Justify My Love Canada Cassettes US $10.00 [0 bids]
Heart - Who Will You Run To - 7 inch single US $4.73 Buy It Now 1h 55m
MODEST MOUSE - GOOD NEWS FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE BAD NEWS NEW CD US $13.22 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Jakob Bro WHO SAID GAY PAREE? cd NEW US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
NOS WHO.....MY WIFE US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
DMX - Who We Be 12" vinyl single US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(29%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(47%)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who reviews

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This is another compilation from The Who, released in 1996, but with the inclusion of half of the tracks in remixed versions, some of them done for the "Thirty Years of Maximun R&B" Box Set released in 1994, and some of them done for the then forthcoming remixed studio albums. The sound of this C.D, is very good, and more in the remixed tracks, but I still can`t listen to the differences in comparison the old mixes of these tracks. Most of the tracks included in this C.D. were previously released as singles, and some of them, particularly the very early tracks, are released in Mono mixes. Also, many of these tracks were previously released in the "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" double L.P. compilation in 1972. I don`t know if this 1972 compilation has been released in C.D., but I think that this 1996 C.D. compilation is a very good selection of tracks recorded by the band since their beginning until 1981. There are no tracks from their "It`s Hard" album released in 1982, and maybe the reason was that Roger Daltrey didn`t like that album, but I think that at least "Eminence Front" from that album deserved to be released in this compilation. In conclusion, this compilation is very good, particularly for the persons who are new listeners of the music of The Who.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#130857) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 30, 2007

Review by Chicapah
4 stars There are several "Who's Best" albums out there but for my money it's hard to beat this particular collection. Not only does it do a superb job of presenting The Who's most recognizable music in chronological order, showing the band's amazing evolution from inexperienced punks to arena-filling superstars who greatly affected the course of modern rock history, but the pristine remastering makes every song sound fresh and invigorating. Plus it's all contained on one long CD.

Clocking in at barely over 2 minutes, their first single "I Can't Explain" (recorded in late '64) is so good that they frequently opened their concerts with it for over 25 years. An extremely young Jimmy Page plays the second guitar and a vocal group called the Ivy League sings backup on this urgent rocker that was obviously influenced by The Kinks. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" was their second single and it topped out at #10 in the UK (the US wasn't prepared to assimilate these boisterous kids quite yet). Nicky Hopkins provides some hot piano work and the arrogant, defiant lyrics separated the group from the lightweight Mersey beat combos that eventually slipped into oblivion. What can I say about the juggernaut that is "My Generation" that hasn't been said a million times before? Its awesome power is as impressive today as it was the first time I heard it. A song so iconic that every pimply-faced male teen latched onto it and claimed it for their own. "Substitute" is another energetic, in-your-face single that sprang from Pete Townsend's feeling that the band was a substitute for the bluesier Rolling Stones and represents his first foray into the world of being a record producer. It's yet another song that proved to be timeless as they performed it live throughout their career.

Hinting at bigger things to come, the quirky "I'm a Boy" came directly from Pete's vision of a longer project to be called "Quads" that he eventually abandoned in favor of "Tommy." Virtually unheard in the states, it matched the success of "My Generation" by rising to #2 in the UK. John Entwistle's "Boris the Spider" is looked upon as a weird novelty tune by many but it definitely brought his enormous and highly influential bass guitar sound to the forefront. "Happy Jack" might be Townsend's song but Keith Moon's drums are the star of this show and it demonstrates exactly what made him irreplaceable in the long run. You'd be hard pressed to find another tune like it. "Pictures of Lily" is one of my all-time favorite Who tracks because it just sizzles from beginning to end. As for the controversial lyrics, Pete was just voicing what nobody else had the cajones to even bring up. Gotta love John's climactic, out-of-control French Horn lead, too. The definitive opening E chord to "I Can See For Miles" leads you right into what I consider one of the best examples of early progressive rock with its unconventional, dynamic accents and intertwining vocal harmonies. That pivotal key change tears my head off every time.

If there's a low point to be found in these proceedings it's the inclusion of "Magic Bus." The monotonous Bo Diddley vibe gets old in a hurry. "Pinball Wizard" was the best advertisement imaginable for their groundbreaking rock opera, "Tommy," as it raced right up to #4 on the charts. Roger Daltrey's commanding vocal had a lot to do with grabbing everyone's attention, making them want to hear more of that masterpiece. As a single "The Seeker" may have been a disappointment but it's still a monster song regardless. I like to think of it as what Tommy became after his followers walked out on him. "Baba O'Riley" is just flat-out one of the best cuts in the annals of progressive rock. 'Nuff said. And "Won't Get Fooled Again" dwells on that same lofty plateau in my book. Its plain truth and immaculate musical tightness is a wonder to behold. "Let's See Action" is more of an experiment from Pete than an actual call to take up revolutionary arms but Roger does a good job of selling the concept with his strained singing.

"5:15" from Quadrophenia is a ballsy rocker performed with a full horn section and in the band's inimitable style. Daltrey's memorable Jew's Harp intro on "Join Together" gives it a distinctive flavor and represents yet another leftover from Townsend's mysterious "Lifehouse" project. Borne out of Pete's learning to play accordion, "Squeeze Box" may be the ultimate un-Who song with its hillbilly feel provided by the up-front banjo pickin' and, as Townsend humbly admitted, its "devastating simplicity." Containing words penned after Pete spent the night in a London gutter in a drunken stupor, "Who Are You" is a fine specimen of the group's progressive attitude. Cool synthesizer moments abound. It also marks the last single that Keith played drums on. (R.I.P. Moonie) And last but in no way least "You Better You Bet" brings this excellent Who-fest to a conclusion. When it came out in early 1981 I didn't give it much merit or even a fair listen because I missed Keith Moon so much but over the years I've come to appreciate and enjoy its considerable charms.

If there's anything I'd change about this compilation it would be to omit "Magic Bus" and tack on the driving "Eminence Front" right at the end. But that's just me. And I would also encourage you to buy at least 5 or 6 of their albums to get the full Who experience but, as "greatest hits" assemblages go, this is an unequivocal winner. Great for cruisin' with the car stereo blasting, that's for sure. You know you can't go wrong with The Who on board.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#132981) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars While I somewhat prefer the later compilation The Who- Then and Now, it's awfully hard to beat this one in terms of both value and scope. Most of the radio hits are here in some form or another, and a few obscurer hardcore fan choices are also included. This was my first experience with The Who in terms of something I could hold in my hand (I'd heard them on the radio and from friends' collections for years, of course), and I recall running around with my buddy as soon as he got his license- we must've run through hundreds of albums of varying styles, including Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Marley, Dave Mason, Jerry Jeff Walker, and even Outkast. My favorite song from The Who has always been "Who Are You," and it's a shame the radio edit is included on this one, but otherwise, this is an excellent compilation, one I highly recommend, although again, I can't stress enough that the aforementioned collection, which includes some wonderful (but sadly) post-John Entwistle material, as well as a live cut or two, is better. To compensate, this has "The Seeker" and a few other treats my choice is missing. That said, for those new to The Who, this is a fantastic entry point.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#253917) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'My Generation - The Very Best Of The Who' - The Who (Compilation)

Here is one of the better compilations for this seminal English hard rock band. 'My Generation' was one of the most recognizable songs of the British Invasion, so it seems natural that the compilation of the best songs by The Who would be named this in turn. While The Who may be best known for a few albums that were released within a couple years of each other, the truth is that they had a fairly long career, and are even back together touring now, albeit with half the members missing due to unfortunate complications caused by death. As for the songs that are included on this compilation, there is a definite focus on the tracks from The Who's earlier career, featuring such great tracks as 'I Can't Explain', 'I Can See For Miles', and- of course- 'My Generation'. Moving into their later, more progressive works, there are still a few songs that people would surely recognize, like 'Baba O'Reilly' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again', but for the most part, this compilation is geared towards the listeners that view The Who as a band from the '60s, rather than a progressive arena rock from the 70's or even '80s. There are many compilations from this group out there, and while some seem to balance the focus out between the classic albums and more apocryphal material as if it were some formality, 'My Generation' is a compilation which gives the casual listener the songs they want, so for all intents and purposes, this is a successful venture, although a best-of compilation can still never replace the experience of a full album.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#468845) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 24, 2011

Post a review of THE WHO "My Generation - The Very Best of The Who"