MY GENERATION - THE VERY BEST OF THE WHO

Proto-Prog

The Who My Generation - The Very Best of The Who album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1996

1. I Can`t Explain (2:04)
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (2:40)
3. My Generation (3:18)
4. Substitute (3:47)
5. I`m a Boy (2:36) *
6. Boris the Spider (2:27)
7. Happy Jack (2:11)
8. Pictures of Lily (2:45)
9. I Can See for Miles (4:21) *

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who lyrics

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who tabs

- Roger Daltrey / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass guitar, brass and vocals
- Keith Moon / drums (except track 20 - Kenney Jones)
- Pete Townshend / guitar, synthesizers, piano and vocals

C.D. (U.S.): MCA MCAD-11462.

Thanks to Guillermo for the addition

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who Music

Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
Who Are YouWho Are You
Extra tracks · Remastered
Mca 1996
Elton John Who Wears These Shoes 1 track Us Dj 12" US $12.99 Buy It Now 30m
CARAVAN-FOR GIRLS WHO GROW PLUMP IN~-JAPAN ISSUE+OBI US $59.99 Buy It Now 30m 4s
THE WHO Rarites Vol. II 1970-1972 LP EX! UK Import US $19.99 Buy It Now 31m 22s
Tommy Dorsey Orch. 78 RPM - Marie/Who? Fox Trots - RCA 27519-A/B (043) US $7.49 Buy It Now 34m 28s
THE CLINIC lay it down 12" RECORD DJ WHO BREAKBEAT BREAKS US $11.99 Buy It Now 54m 50s
THE WHO it's hard Lp RECORD US $9.99 Buy It Now 54m 51s
Traumatic Stress - Who the F Is James Brown 3 Track CD Single US $1.82 Buy It Now 58m 57s
MADONNA Who's That Girl Sountrack LP Vinyl with Hype Sticker STILL SEALED US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h
Man Who Died In His Boat Grouper CD US $17.77 Buy It Now 1h 2m
CD The Who - Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B / 4CD Box set US $9.51 [6 bids]
MARY HOPKIN Knock-Knock Who's There b/w International APPLE SLEEVE 45 RECORD US $6.00 [0 bids]
CONNIE FRANCIS - WHO'S SORRY NOW - YOU WERE ONLY FOOLING - MGM #12588 US $0.50 [0 bids]
Jill Scott Who Is Jill Scott ( CD NEW (UK Import) US $11.92 Buy It Now 1h 13m
THE GUESS WHO 'Road Food' Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED US $18.67 Buy It Now 1h 14m
New Sealed Dido CD - Girl who got away - Asian Releases 2 CDs US $17.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
WHO IS JILL SCOTT (WORDS AND SOUNDS VOLUME 1) US $14.69 Buy It Now 1h 14m
?MEN AT WORK - WHO CAN IT BE NOW - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD w PICT SLV - 1981? US $5.60 Buy It Now 1h 16m
WHO NEEDS YOU [10" VINYL] The Orwells Audio CD US $26.14 Buy It Now 1h 23m
The Who - Tommy 2 x CD Deluxe Edition 2013 edition SEALED US $15.08 Buy It Now 1h 23m
J.J. BARNES HOW LONG / I M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU UK CONTEMPO 7" 1977 US $18.24 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Who Face Dances + Poster - EX UK vinyl LP album record WHOD5037 POLYDOR 1981 US $37.52 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Who 12" vinyl single record (Maxi) Substitute UK 2058803 POLYDOR 1976 US $23.43 Buy It Now 1h 28m
?TOM JONES - I (WHO HAVE NOTHING) - 7" 45 VINYL RECORD 1970? US $3.73 Buy It Now 1h 30m
B.B. KING U.S. ABC VINYL 45 w ORIG company sleeve ( WHO ARE YOU / OH TO ME ) VG+ US $15.95 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Megadeth - Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying? 1986 USA 1st Full Silver CD Rare US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Willard - Who sings a gloria? LP Obi Japanese Heavy Metal w/ sheet US $42.50 Buy It Now 1h 40m
NEW - Battle of who could care less [Single-CD] US $5.44 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Who Framed Roger Rabbit Original Soundtrack Audio CD US $14.67 Buy It Now 1h 42m
PIRANHAS-ZAMBEZI /WHO NEEDS YOU, DARABUKKUS-UK Dakota 7" 1982-VG++ US $2.67 Buy It Now 1h 52m
CHEAP CDS "All That Dance Disc One" CD, Missy Elliott, Who Da Funk US $5.60 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Who's the Boss Nelly & the St. Lunatics CD US $12.09 Buy It Now 1h 55m
For Those Who Love To Groove Cecil Brooks III CD US $13.21 Buy It Now 1h 55m
The Who, Face Dances Audio CD US $8.39 Buy It Now 1h 56m
JAMES DARREN - BECAUSE OF YOU (ACTOR-WHO-SINGS PRESENTS 14 NICE SONGS US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
THE WHO-LIVE AT LEEDS-JAPAN ISSUE +OBI US $49.99 Buy It Now 2h
QUADROPHENIA POSTER MOD SCOOTER WHO NORTHERN SOUL MODS 60'S RETRO US $13.03 Buy It Now 2h
QUADROPHENIA POSTER SCOOTER MODS 60'S RETRO WHO NORTHERN SOUL US $13.03 Buy It Now 2h 2m
YANNIS MARKOPOULOS 7"Single - Who Pays The Ferryman? US $8.39 Buy It Now 2h 4m
THE GUESS WHO ( THE HISTORY OF The Guess Who w/ NEIL YOUNG track ) vinyl LP NM US $15.95 Buy It Now 2h 8m
FOUR LADS Who Needs You It's So Easy To Forget 50s 7" 45 vintage vinyl record VG US $0.07 [0 bids]
SEE SPOT - Who Got It? - Japan CD - NEW - 15Tracks US $25.64 Buy It Now 2h 17m
HEATHER HEADLEY - THIS IS WHO I AM - Japan CD+2BONUS - 14Tracks US $13.29 Buy It Now 2h 17m
CHEAP CDS Jessie J "Who You Are" CD US $12.13 Buy It Now 2h 20m
S_TUDA "Who Am I?" 2007 S Tuda PA KC Rap CD new US $2.51 [0 bids]
THE CHARLATANS Indian Rope 12" Ft YOU CAN TALK TO ME & WHO WANTS TO KNOW 1990 US $13.45 Buy It Now 2h 23m
DON RENNIE - 50's Sheet Music - WHO ARE WE?,BY PAUL WEBSTER & JERRY LIVINGSTON US $13.45 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Live at Leeds [Remaster] by The Who (CD, Feb-1995, MCA (USA)) US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 31m
JERRY MAGUIRE - SOUNDTRACK CD (BOB DYLAN,WHO,ELVIS?) US $4.67 Buy It Now 2h 41m
NEW - Boy Who Faced His Giant US $5.51 Buy It Now 2h 52m
The Who-You Better You Bet/The Quiet One UK 7" EX Cond US $5.36 Buy It Now 2h 52m
The Who-You Better You Bet/The Quiet One UK 7" EX Cond A On Label US $8.39 Buy It Now 2h 53m
The Who Face Dances USA Cassette Tape no bar code US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 57m
Who Needs Who Dark Dark Dark CD US $11.56 Buy It Now 3h
Hail Bright Cecilia Who Can From Joy Refrain Purcell / Choir O CD US $8.09 Buy It Now 3h
MADISON AVENUE WHO THE HELL ARE YOU 4 TRACK CD - EXCELLENT US $3.74 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Isley Brothers Who's That Lady (Super Rare Early Jazz Version ) NEW 7" Vinyl US $13.43 Buy It Now 3h 11m
More Music from the Motion Picture Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me by Orig US $9.99 [0 bids]
LISTEN - POPCORN GIRL - JOIE CHAN - SWEET BABY - WHO'LL BE THE BOY THIS SUMMER US $35.00 Buy It Now 3h 16m
DEVIL DOLL-THE GIRL WHO WAS ... DEATH-JAPAN MINI LP CD Gi50 US $42.99 Buy It Now 3h 17m
The Who- Ready Steady Who - EP picture sleeve only - No Record US $2.80 [0 bids]
Liv Maessen - Knock Knock Who's There - 4 Track Ep Record 45rpm on Fable Records US $6.49 [2 bids]
THE GUESS WHO Born In Canada 8 TRACK TAPE~SEALED Burton Cummings SHAKIN ALL OVER US $9.98 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Les Wampas - Never Trust A Guy Who After Having CD US $29.49 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Orion - Who Was That Masked Man CD US $159.94 Buy It Now 3h 27m
Burt Bacharach - Anyone Who Had A Heart-Art Of The Songwriter CD UNIVERSAL US $37.19 Buy It Now 3h 28m
The Girl Who Came to Supper 1963 Broadway Cast CD OOP Out of Print US $22.95 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Who is the Enemy? 1983 Anarcho Punk Compilation Cassette US $69.99 [0 bids]
Rolling Stones - Get Stoned 30 tracks Double LP #ADE P32 Beatles Cream Who Queen US $45.99 Buy It Now 3h 43m
XTC I'm The Man Who Murdered Love Rare Australian CD Single US $14.00 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me Vol.1 (CD 2002) (ID#47) US $4.62 Buy It Now 3h 47m
TRAVIS THE MAN WHO C.D.NEW US $6.53 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Cilla Black-Anyone Who Had A Heart 7" UK Parlophone 45 1964 US $6.71 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Aretha Franklin - Who's Zoomin' Who? LP MINT US $5.60 Buy It Now 3h 51m
BEATMASTERS - Who's In The House - Ex Con 7" Single US $6.71 Buy It Now 3h 51m
I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT - Film Sheet Music - George Raft - From NOB HILL US $20.17 Buy It Now 3h 56m
Tommy - 2 DISC SET - Who (2003, SACD New) Sacd/Hy US $23.08 Buy It Now 3h 59m
THE WHO - MAGAZINE CUTTING (FULL PAGE PHOTO) (REF 6) US $8.32 Buy It Now 4h 5m
The Housemartins - The People Who Grinned Themselves To Death, GO-Disc AGOLP9 US $15.11 Buy It Now 4h 13m
Faith No More Who Cares A Lot Grestest Hits Best Of Australian 2 CDS US $1.17 [2 bids]
Travis - The Man Who (CD 1999) - 24HR POST!!! US $6.30 Buy It Now 4h 15m
Rolling Stones,Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby � b/w Who's Driving Your Plane, US $20.15 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Rolling Stones,Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby � b/w Who's Driving Your Plane, US $11.75 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Little John,All Who Gone,B side - Lee Van Cliff - Chalice To Chalice,12" US $13.43 Buy It Now 4h 23m
The Who: Face Dances LP US $4.50 [0 bids]
Sherman,Daryl - Guess Who's In Town! [CD New] US $13.32 Buy It Now 4h 31m
Marie Osmond,Who's Sorry Now,Includes insert,LP US $9.23 Buy It Now 4h 31m
"Who's Leaving Who" Club Mix 1986 Single LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 33m
KESHA / KE$HA - WE R WHO WE R - NEW OFFICIAL US 8 TRACK CD PROMO US $7.55 [0 bids]
THE WHO - IT'S HARD [1997 REMASTER] [REMASTER] - NEW CD US $7.00 Buy It Now 4h 35m
The Who: Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival, 1970 [DVD] [2006] US $18.07 Buy It Now 4h 37m
BOYS DON'T CRY. WHO THE AM DO YOU THINK I AM? RARE 1987 SOUTH AFRICAN 7" P/S US $3.34 [0 bids]
Walter Brennan 45 Record. Who Will Take Gramma and Mama Sang a Song US $1.99 Buy It Now 4h 47m
ATLAS SOUND_Let The Blind Lead Those Who Cannot_used CD_ships from AUSTRALIA! US $9.34 Buy It Now 4h 48m
JOHNNY SPARROW - GUESS WHO? - RED LABEL (1960's JAZZ/SOUL INST. - LISTEN) US $6.00 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Peppermint Allsorts,1st Press,"Porky & Pecko",Who,Jimi Hendrix Experience,LP US $26.04 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Pete Townshend,Who Came First,LP US $15.11 Buy It Now 4h 53m
The Who - Odds & Sods CD Polydor 539 791-2 US $13.20 Buy It Now 4h 54m
ORNETTE COLEMAN - TO WHOM WHO KEEPS A RECORD [LIMITED EDITION] - NEW CD US $11.43 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Who I Am by Jessica Andrews (CD, Feb-2001, Dreamworks SKG) US $0.50 [0 bids]
Plan B - Who Needs Actions When You Got Words - New UK 2 Heavyweight Vinyl LP k US $20.09 Buy It Now 4h 58m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(31%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(50%)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who reviews

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This is another compilation from The Who, released in 1996, but with the inclusion of half of the tracks in remixed versions, some of them done for the "Thirty Years of Maximun R&B" Box Set released in 1994, and some of them done for the then forthcoming remixed studio albums. The sound of this C.D, is very good, and more in the remixed tracks, but I still can`t listen to the differences in comparison the old mixes of these tracks. Most of the tracks included in this C.D. were previously released as singles, and some of them, particularly the very early tracks, are released in Mono mixes. Also, many of these tracks were previously released in the "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" double L.P. compilation in 1972. I don`t know if this 1972 compilation has been released in C.D., but I think that this 1996 C.D. compilation is a very good selection of tracks recorded by the band since their beginning until 1981. There are no tracks from their "It`s Hard" album released in 1982, and maybe the reason was that Roger Daltrey didn`t like that album, but I think that at least "Eminence Front" from that album deserved to be released in this compilation. In conclusion, this compilation is very good, particularly for the persons who are new listeners of the music of The Who.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#130857) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 30, 2007

Review by Chicapah
4 stars There are several "Who's Best" albums out there but for my money it's hard to beat this particular collection. Not only does it do a superb job of presenting The Who's most recognizable music in chronological order, showing the band's amazing evolution from inexperienced punks to arena-filling superstars who greatly affected the course of modern rock history, but the pristine remastering makes every song sound fresh and invigorating. Plus it's all contained on one long CD.

Clocking in at barely over 2 minutes, their first single "I Can't Explain" (recorded in late '64) is so good that they frequently opened their concerts with it for over 25 years. An extremely young Jimmy Page plays the second guitar and a vocal group called the Ivy League sings backup on this urgent rocker that was obviously influenced by The Kinks. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" was their second single and it topped out at #10 in the UK (the US wasn't prepared to assimilate these boisterous kids quite yet). Nicky Hopkins provides some hot piano work and the arrogant, defiant lyrics separated the group from the lightweight Mersey beat combos that eventually slipped into oblivion. What can I say about the juggernaut that is "My Generation" that hasn't been said a million times before? Its awesome power is as impressive today as it was the first time I heard it. A song so iconic that every pimply-faced male teen latched onto it and claimed it for their own. "Substitute" is another energetic, in-your-face single that sprang from Pete Townsend's feeling that the band was a substitute for the bluesier Rolling Stones and represents his first foray into the world of being a record producer. It's yet another song that proved to be timeless as they performed it live throughout their career.

Hinting at bigger things to come, the quirky "I'm a Boy" came directly from Pete's vision of a longer project to be called "Quads" that he eventually abandoned in favor of "Tommy." Virtually unheard in the states, it matched the success of "My Generation" by rising to #2 in the UK. John Entwistle's "Boris the Spider" is looked upon as a weird novelty tune by many but it definitely brought his enormous and highly influential bass guitar sound to the forefront. "Happy Jack" might be Townsend's song but Keith Moon's drums are the star of this show and it demonstrates exactly what made him irreplaceable in the long run. You'd be hard pressed to find another tune like it. "Pictures of Lily" is one of my all-time favorite Who tracks because it just sizzles from beginning to end. As for the controversial lyrics, Pete was just voicing what nobody else had the cajones to even bring up. Gotta love John's climactic, out-of-control French Horn lead, too. The definitive opening E chord to "I Can See For Miles" leads you right into what I consider one of the best examples of early progressive rock with its unconventional, dynamic accents and intertwining vocal harmonies. That pivotal key change tears my head off every time.

If there's a low point to be found in these proceedings it's the inclusion of "Magic Bus." The monotonous Bo Diddley vibe gets old in a hurry. "Pinball Wizard" was the best advertisement imaginable for their groundbreaking rock opera, "Tommy," as it raced right up to #4 on the charts. Roger Daltrey's commanding vocal had a lot to do with grabbing everyone's attention, making them want to hear more of that masterpiece. As a single "The Seeker" may have been a disappointment but it's still a monster song regardless. I like to think of it as what Tommy became after his followers walked out on him. "Baba O'Riley" is just flat-out one of the best cuts in the annals of progressive rock. 'Nuff said. And "Won't Get Fooled Again" dwells on that same lofty plateau in my book. Its plain truth and immaculate musical tightness is a wonder to behold. "Let's See Action" is more of an experiment from Pete than an actual call to take up revolutionary arms but Roger does a good job of selling the concept with his strained singing.

"5:15" from Quadrophenia is a ballsy rocker performed with a full horn section and in the band's inimitable style. Daltrey's memorable Jew's Harp intro on "Join Together" gives it a distinctive flavor and represents yet another leftover from Townsend's mysterious "Lifehouse" project. Borne out of Pete's learning to play accordion, "Squeeze Box" may be the ultimate un-Who song with its hillbilly feel provided by the up-front banjo pickin' and, as Townsend humbly admitted, its "devastating simplicity." Containing words penned after Pete spent the night in a London gutter in a drunken stupor, "Who Are You" is a fine specimen of the group's progressive attitude. Cool synthesizer moments abound. It also marks the last single that Keith played drums on. (R.I.P. Moonie) And last but in no way least "You Better You Bet" brings this excellent Who-fest to a conclusion. When it came out in early 1981 I didn't give it much merit or even a fair listen because I missed Keith Moon so much but over the years I've come to appreciate and enjoy its considerable charms.

If there's anything I'd change about this compilation it would be to omit "Magic Bus" and tack on the driving "Eminence Front" right at the end. But that's just me. And I would also encourage you to buy at least 5 or 6 of their albums to get the full Who experience but, as "greatest hits" assemblages go, this is an unequivocal winner. Great for cruisin' with the car stereo blasting, that's for sure. You know you can't go wrong with The Who on board.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#132981) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars While I somewhat prefer the later compilation The Who- Then and Now, it's awfully hard to beat this one in terms of both value and scope. Most of the radio hits are here in some form or another, and a few obscurer hardcore fan choices are also included. This was my first experience with The Who in terms of something I could hold in my hand (I'd heard them on the radio and from friends' collections for years, of course), and I recall running around with my buddy as soon as he got his license- we must've run through hundreds of albums of varying styles, including Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Marley, Dave Mason, Jerry Jeff Walker, and even Outkast. My favorite song from The Who has always been "Who Are You," and it's a shame the radio edit is included on this one, but otherwise, this is an excellent compilation, one I highly recommend, although again, I can't stress enough that the aforementioned collection, which includes some wonderful (but sadly) post-John Entwistle material, as well as a live cut or two, is better. To compensate, this has "The Seeker" and a few other treats my choice is missing. That said, for those new to The Who, this is a fantastic entry point.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#253917) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'My Generation - The Very Best Of The Who' - The Who (Compilation)

Here is one of the better compilations for this seminal English hard rock band. 'My Generation' was one of the most recognizable songs of the British Invasion, so it seems natural that the compilation of the best songs by The Who would be named this in turn. While The Who may be best known for a few albums that were released within a couple years of each other, the truth is that they had a fairly long career, and are even back together touring now, albeit with half the members missing due to unfortunate complications caused by death. As for the songs that are included on this compilation, there is a definite focus on the tracks from The Who's earlier career, featuring such great tracks as 'I Can't Explain', 'I Can See For Miles', and- of course- 'My Generation'. Moving into their later, more progressive works, there are still a few songs that people would surely recognize, like 'Baba O'Reilly' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again', but for the most part, this compilation is geared towards the listeners that view The Who as a band from the '60s, rather than a progressive arena rock from the 70's or even '80s. There are many compilations from this group out there, and while some seem to balance the focus out between the classic albums and more apocryphal material as if it were some formality, 'My Generation' is a compilation which gives the casual listener the songs they want, so for all intents and purposes, this is a successful venture, although a best-of compilation can still never replace the experience of a full album.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#468845) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 24, 2011

Post a review of THE WHO "My Generation - The Very Best of The Who"