MY GENERATION - THE VERY BEST OF THE WHO

Proto-Prog

The Who My Generation - The Very Best of The Who album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1996

1. I Can`t Explain (2:04)
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (2:40)
3. My Generation (3:18)
4. Substitute (3:47)
5. I`m a Boy (2:36) *
6. Boris the Spider (2:27)
7. Happy Jack (2:11)
8. Pictures of Lily (2:45)
9. I Can See for Miles (4:21) *

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who lyrics

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who tabs

- Roger Daltrey / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass guitar, brass and vocals
- Keith Moon / drums (except track 20 - Kenney Jones)
- Pete Townshend / guitar, synthesizers, piano and vocals

C.D. (U.S.): MCA MCAD-11462.

Thanks to Guillermo for the addition

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who Music

30m 6s
The Who - Athena - US - 7" single - promotional - 1982 US $3.99 [0 bids]
32m 33s
Tracey Amos "Who Are We Really" SEALED CD US $3.47 Buy It Now 32m 35s
Sunset Jubilees 45 WHO w.W.McCaskey /TRAVELIN' SHOES Rev.E.L. Fairley~VG+ gospel US $12.99 Buy It Now 32m 36s
The Who - Magic Bus - b/w Someone's Coming - US - 7" single - cut out hole US $3.99 [0 bids]
33m 50s
The Who - Summertime Blues - b/w Heaven & Hell - US - 7" single - cut out hole US $3.99 [0 bids]
33m 50s
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - b/w I Don't Even Know Myself - US - 7" single US $3.99 [0 bids]
33m 50s
THE CREATION How Does It Feel To Feel 7" 45 MONO FREAKBEAT PSYCH MOD WHO re US $10.49 [2 bids]
33m 59s
THE WHO - SQUEEZE BOX - GERMANY 45 SINGLE US $34.99 Buy It Now 36m 28s
PATRICIA PAAY - WHO'S THAT LADY WITH MY MAN - HOLLAND 45 SINGLE US $9.99 Buy It Now 36m 28s
THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME MOTION PICTURE SOUNDTRACK C.D. US $8.86 Buy It Now 37m 19s
PETE TOWNSHEND[THE WHO]: PSYCHODERELICT [NEW] US $4.49 Buy It Now 37m 50s
THE WHO - JOIN TOGETHER - GERMANY 45 SINGLE US $44.99 Buy It Now 37m 51s
MAD PROFESSOR Dub Me Crazy Pt 5 Who Knows Secret Of Master Tape LP orb blue room US $19.00 Buy It Now 38m 17s
The Glass Bottle 45 BECAUSE SHE'S MINE AGAIN / GIRL WHO LOVED ME~VG+popular rock US $2.62 Buy It Now 38m 44s
THE WHO "Call me lightning" RARE 7"ITALY PROMO JB US $17.99 Buy It Now 38m 44s
THE FEMININE SOCIETY - WHO,LL BE THE LOSER - SURE HITS US $44.07 Buy It Now 39m
THE WHO - Live At Leeds & Who Are You / Album Cassette Tape / Paper Labels / 875 US $8.15 Buy It Now 40m 9s
Dr Rubberfunk Bass Snatchers - Who Shot Jack Laverne 7" US $3.92 Buy It Now 40m 13s
THE ALAN PRICE SET - THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT / WHO CARES - 1967 MAST US $0.80 [0 bids]
42m 4s
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses [Maxi Single] by U2 (CD, Nov-1992, Polydor) US $1.99 [0 bids]
42m 24s
The Spy Who Loved Me LP Soundtrack * United Artists UA-LA774-H (1977) US $9.49 [0 bids]
42m 39s
CHARLY McCLAIN "WHO'S CHEATIN WHO / LOVE SCENES" 45 US $1.00 [0 bids]
43m 35s
JERRY WALLACE "GUESS WHO / ALL I EVER GOT FROM YOU (IS YOU)" 45 US $1.00 [0 bids]
43m 36s
WAYLON JENNINGS "WILD SIDE OF LIFE / IT WASN'T GOD WHO MADE HONKY TONK ANGELS"45 US $1.00 [0 bids]
43m 36s
The Who Live at Leeds (Cassette, MCA, 1970) Columbia House US $5.99 [0 bids]
44m 28s
The Who Tommy (Cassette, 1969, MCA) Columbia House US $3.99 [0 bids]
45m 39s
Who's Next by The Who (Cassette, Jul-1985, MCA (USA)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
45m 41s
Hank Snow 45 Made in Germany RCA The Man Who Robbed The Bank At Santa Fe ^ VG US $10.00 [0 bids]
48m 55s
1950's Rock 45 Dave Burgess on Challenge ^ I'm Available ^ Who's Gonna Cry ^ US $10.00 [0 bids]
48m 55s
South Africa 45 Mama Cass ^ Who's To Blame ^ It's Getting Better ^ STATESIDE US $10.00 [0 bids]
Led Zeppelin Live - Who's Country Joe? Fillmore West '69 US $30.00 [0 bids]
49m 15s
COLOSSEUM - THOSE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE SALUTE YOU [UK] - NEW CD US $15.70 Buy It Now 49m 26s
THE WHO : JOIN TOGETHER / BABY DONT YOU DO IT. UK TRACK. 1972. US $1.62 [0 bids]
51m 26s
The Guess Who - Rockin' - Gatefold LP Record/Vinyl RCA Records 4602 (Cut-Out) US $5.00 Buy It Now 51m 48s
The Guess Who - #10 - Gatefold LP Record/Vinyl RCA Records 0598 US $5.00 Buy It Now 51m 48s
MUSIC AND SOUND OUTPUT 10/1982 MAGAZINE NEAR MINT PETE TOWNSHEND THE WHO US $19.99 Buy It Now 52m 1s
WILTON PLACE STREET BAND : DISCO LUCY(I LOVE LUCY)/YOU DONT EVEN KNOW WHO WE ARE US $3.25 [0 bids]
52m 8s
THE WHO - WHO'S NEXT 16 track CD *AUSTRALIAN SELLER, FAST POST US $7.57 Buy It Now 52m 36s
THE WHO sings MY GENERATION - debut album - CD - The Kids Are Alright US $9.99 Buy It Now 53m 28s
ERIC CLAPTON;THE WHO;RORY GALLAGHER;B.B. KING=7"FLEXI PROMO"SOUNDS"1972 US $1.62 [0 bids]
53m 55s
The Who My Generation CD 28 Hits Bonus Tracks Import US SHipper New US $14.36 Buy It Now 54m 1s
MYSTERY - THE BOY WHO RAN AWAY - 7 INCH US $4.88 [0 bids]
54m 7s
45 ROCK Guess Who/Undun/Laughing/RCA/USA/VG++ HEAR US $4.00 Buy It Now 54m 27s
THE ZUTONS Who Killed...... The Zutons (CD, Oct-2004, Epic (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
54m 35s
54m 35s
The who who's next LP mca-2023 Classic rock and roll US $7.00 [0 bids]
55m 8s
Mary Hopkins 45 "Knock Knock Who's There / International" US $4.49 Buy It Now 55m 45s
KELLY MARIE 7"Single -Who's That Lady With My Man/Goodbye Night (Rare Promo) EX+ US $13.05 Buy It Now 55m 48s
MYSTERY JETS the boy who ran away UK 7" 45 US $2.00 [0 bids]
56m 2s
MYSTERY JETS the boy who ran away UK 7" 45 different sleeve US $2.00 [0 bids]
56m 2s
TRAVIS - CD Platinum Disc-THE MAN WHO US $142.88 Buy It Now 56m 59s
KAREN ELSON ghost who walks UK promo CD single JACK WHITE TMR US $2.00 [0 bids]
57m 19s
DARRELL BANKS - I'M THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU - CDKEN 402 US $16.31 Buy It Now 58m 36s
The Who: Who are You. 8 track US $4.00 [0 bids]
1h
ROGER DALTREY (The Who) - Magazine Poster US $7.35 Buy It Now 1h
ALAN JACKSON "(WHO SAYS) YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL / IF IT AIN'T ONE THING" 45 US $1.00 [0 bids]
MADONNA Who's That Girl? OST LP EX/EX US $4.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Marvin Smith Who Will Do Your Running Now Northern Soul Vinyl 45 US $11.41 Buy It Now 1h 4m
Travis - The Man Who (1999 CD Album) 10 Trax. Rock/Pop/Alternative/Indie US $1.62 Buy It Now 1h 6m
ROGER DALTREY / WHO DALTREY 1973 GATEFOLD VINYL LP * EXCELLENT ITEM THROUGHOUT US $16.25 Buy It Now 1h 8m
THE WHO Tommy 2 LP Set Record Vinyl Decca 1969 ORIGINAL US $6.98 [0 bids]
THE FOUR SEASONS~WHO LOVES YOU~1975 POP DISCO CLASSIC 12" LP *SCARCE PROMO COPY* US $3.99 [0 bids]
Peaches - Who I Am 1997 CD #30 US $2.80 Buy It Now 1h 13m
AC/DC - WHO MADE WHO LP US $3.25 [0 bids]
Mystery Jets - The Boy Who Ran Away - Limited Edition 2 x 7-inch Single - G/F US $3.25 [0 bids]
John Scofield . Who's Who? Novus Series '70 CD US $12.00 [0 bids]
Who's who MATHIEU MICHEL PATRICK MULLER DEMOULIN Swiss US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
WHO'S OX! John Entwistle PROMO + DJ Paperwork MCA RECORDS MCA-1926 12 Songs 1975 US $40.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
THE GUESS WHO AT THEIR BEST CASSETTE TAPE LIGHTLY USED US $5.21 Buy It Now 1h 18m
The Who Live at Leeds MCA ARCHIVE MASTER, Ultrasonic Cleaned! A+ SOUND US $70.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
SUBSTITUTE ~ SONGS OF THE WHO NEW CD ALL STAR TRIBUTE INCLUDES VIDEO TRACK US $8.15 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Gary Clail On-U Sound System-Who Pays The Piper? CD SINGLE US $2.45 Buy It Now 1h 22m
Infiniti-Who Will B My Baby? CD SINGLE US $2.45 Buy It Now 1h 23m
MILLICENT MARTIN 7"Single - Every Home Should Have One/Who Cares, EX+ US $13.05 Buy It Now 1h 25m
She Who Dwells in the Secret Place of the Most High Shall Abide Under the... US $7.99 [0 bids]
The MAN WHO WOULD BE KING - Capitol SW-11474 - SEALED re-issue US $6.49 Buy It Now 1h 26m
THE WHO ENDLESS WIRE / LIVE AT LYON / LIVE AT LYON BONUS DVD US $4.99 [0 bids]
Aretha Franklin Who's Zooming Who? rare LP great condition US $14.99 [0 bids]
Judy Collins 45 "Both Sides Now / Who Knows Where The Time Goes" US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
THE WHO " JOIN TOGETHER " Or.UK TRACK LABEL EX- COND. US $16.31 Buy It Now 1h 28m
CYNDI LAUPER / who let in the rain / Austria LTD CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Devo - The Men Who Make The Music - VHS US $1.99 [0 bids]
Boogeyman - Who's Afraid? CD 1993, Nasty Vinyl 9-trk US $14.51 Buy It Now 1h 31m
KEN BURKE Dance With Who Brung You record 7-inch Square Dance vinyl hoedown 45 US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 32m
JOHNNY LONG * WHO-ZITS FROM MASSACHUSETTS & ANY TIME IS SWEETHEART TIME 45RPM US $8.50 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Pete Townshend The Who Rare Framed Autographed Picture with COA US $78.38 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Great God Who Saves by Laura Story - CD 2008 US $1.75 [3 bids]
THE GUESS WHO "COLLECTION" - 2CD FATBOX - TRACK RECORDS **LIKE NEW** 31 SONGS US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO "UP CLOSE" 2 HOUR RADIO SPECIAL (2 CD'S) **VERY RARE** LIKE NEW 1989 US $49.99 [0 bids]
WHO 'WHO ARE YOU' CASSETTE TAPE LIGHTLY USED US $5.96 Buy It Now 1h 36m
Roger Daltrey - Free Me / McVicar - The Who 7" 45 US $4.22 Buy It Now 1h 37m
ALAN JACKSON: Who I Am [SUMMERTIME BLUES,THANK GOD FOR THE RADIO,GONE COUNTRY++] US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
THE EURYTHMICS "WHO'S THAT GIRL" / "AQUA" 7" PICTURE SLEEVE 45 ANNIE LENNOX US $2.99 Buy It Now 1h 39m
GUESS WHO The Best Of LP Vinyl VG+ Cover VG+ RCA AYLI 3662 Rerelease US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
THE WHO - Tommy (CD, Mar-1996, MCA (USA)) MCAD-11417 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Jane Harvey - The Other Side of Sondheim (CD Atlantic, AM) Ladies Who Lunch - LN US $2.45 Buy It Now 1h 43m
ULTRA RARE WHO DA FUNK SHINY DISCO BALLS REMIXES IMPORT CD! NEAR MINT!! US $7.50 [0 bids]
FRANCIS HAROLD & THE HOLOGRAMS - WHO SAID THESE LP WEIRD PUNK HOAX CRAZY SPIRIT US $4.99 [0 bids]
IAN HUNTER - WHO DO YOU LOVE - 7" VINYL 1975 CBS US $13.05 Buy It Now 1h 44m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(29%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(47%)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who reviews

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This is another compilation from The Who, released in 1996, but with the inclusion of half of the tracks in remixed versions, some of them done for the "Thirty Years of Maximun R&B" Box Set released in 1994, and some of them done for the then forthcoming remixed studio albums. The sound of this C.D, is very good, and more in the remixed tracks, but I still can`t listen to the differences in comparison the old mixes of these tracks. Most of the tracks included in this C.D. were previously released as singles, and some of them, particularly the very early tracks, are released in Mono mixes. Also, many of these tracks were previously released in the "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" double L.P. compilation in 1972. I don`t know if this 1972 compilation has been released in C.D., but I think that this 1996 C.D. compilation is a very good selection of tracks recorded by the band since their beginning until 1981. There are no tracks from their "It`s Hard" album released in 1982, and maybe the reason was that Roger Daltrey didn`t like that album, but I think that at least "Eminence Front" from that album deserved to be released in this compilation. In conclusion, this compilation is very good, particularly for the persons who are new listeners of the music of The Who.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#130857) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 30, 2007

Review by Chicapah
4 stars There are several "Who's Best" albums out there but for my money it's hard to beat this particular collection. Not only does it do a superb job of presenting The Who's most recognizable music in chronological order, showing the band's amazing evolution from inexperienced punks to arena-filling superstars who greatly affected the course of modern rock history, but the pristine remastering makes every song sound fresh and invigorating. Plus it's all contained on one long CD.

Clocking in at barely over 2 minutes, their first single "I Can't Explain" (recorded in late '64) is so good that they frequently opened their concerts with it for over 25 years. An extremely young Jimmy Page plays the second guitar and a vocal group called the Ivy League sings backup on this urgent rocker that was obviously influenced by The Kinks. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" was their second single and it topped out at #10 in the UK (the US wasn't prepared to assimilate these boisterous kids quite yet). Nicky Hopkins provides some hot piano work and the arrogant, defiant lyrics separated the group from the lightweight Mersey beat combos that eventually slipped into oblivion. What can I say about the juggernaut that is "My Generation" that hasn't been said a million times before? Its awesome power is as impressive today as it was the first time I heard it. A song so iconic that every pimply-faced male teen latched onto it and claimed it for their own. "Substitute" is another energetic, in-your-face single that sprang from Pete Townsend's feeling that the band was a substitute for the bluesier Rolling Stones and represents his first foray into the world of being a record producer. It's yet another song that proved to be timeless as they performed it live throughout their career.

Hinting at bigger things to come, the quirky "I'm a Boy" came directly from Pete's vision of a longer project to be called "Quads" that he eventually abandoned in favor of "Tommy." Virtually unheard in the states, it matched the success of "My Generation" by rising to #2 in the UK. John Entwistle's "Boris the Spider" is looked upon as a weird novelty tune by many but it definitely brought his enormous and highly influential bass guitar sound to the forefront. "Happy Jack" might be Townsend's song but Keith Moon's drums are the star of this show and it demonstrates exactly what made him irreplaceable in the long run. You'd be hard pressed to find another tune like it. "Pictures of Lily" is one of my all-time favorite Who tracks because it just sizzles from beginning to end. As for the controversial lyrics, Pete was just voicing what nobody else had the cajones to even bring up. Gotta love John's climactic, out-of-control French Horn lead, too. The definitive opening E chord to "I Can See For Miles" leads you right into what I consider one of the best examples of early progressive rock with its unconventional, dynamic accents and intertwining vocal harmonies. That pivotal key change tears my head off every time.

If there's a low point to be found in these proceedings it's the inclusion of "Magic Bus." The monotonous Bo Diddley vibe gets old in a hurry. "Pinball Wizard" was the best advertisement imaginable for their groundbreaking rock opera, "Tommy," as it raced right up to #4 on the charts. Roger Daltrey's commanding vocal had a lot to do with grabbing everyone's attention, making them want to hear more of that masterpiece. As a single "The Seeker" may have been a disappointment but it's still a monster song regardless. I like to think of it as what Tommy became after his followers walked out on him. "Baba O'Riley" is just flat-out one of the best cuts in the annals of progressive rock. 'Nuff said. And "Won't Get Fooled Again" dwells on that same lofty plateau in my book. Its plain truth and immaculate musical tightness is a wonder to behold. "Let's See Action" is more of an experiment from Pete than an actual call to take up revolutionary arms but Roger does a good job of selling the concept with his strained singing.

"5:15" from Quadrophenia is a ballsy rocker performed with a full horn section and in the band's inimitable style. Daltrey's memorable Jew's Harp intro on "Join Together" gives it a distinctive flavor and represents yet another leftover from Townsend's mysterious "Lifehouse" project. Borne out of Pete's learning to play accordion, "Squeeze Box" may be the ultimate un-Who song with its hillbilly feel provided by the up-front banjo pickin' and, as Townsend humbly admitted, its "devastating simplicity." Containing words penned after Pete spent the night in a London gutter in a drunken stupor, "Who Are You" is a fine specimen of the group's progressive attitude. Cool synthesizer moments abound. It also marks the last single that Keith played drums on. (R.I.P. Moonie) And last but in no way least "You Better You Bet" brings this excellent Who-fest to a conclusion. When it came out in early 1981 I didn't give it much merit or even a fair listen because I missed Keith Moon so much but over the years I've come to appreciate and enjoy its considerable charms.

If there's anything I'd change about this compilation it would be to omit "Magic Bus" and tack on the driving "Eminence Front" right at the end. But that's just me. And I would also encourage you to buy at least 5 or 6 of their albums to get the full Who experience but, as "greatest hits" assemblages go, this is an unequivocal winner. Great for cruisin' with the car stereo blasting, that's for sure. You know you can't go wrong with The Who on board.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#132981) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars While I somewhat prefer the later compilation The Who- Then and Now, it's awfully hard to beat this one in terms of both value and scope. Most of the radio hits are here in some form or another, and a few obscurer hardcore fan choices are also included. This was my first experience with The Who in terms of something I could hold in my hand (I'd heard them on the radio and from friends' collections for years, of course), and I recall running around with my buddy as soon as he got his license- we must've run through hundreds of albums of varying styles, including Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Marley, Dave Mason, Jerry Jeff Walker, and even Outkast. My favorite song from The Who has always been "Who Are You," and it's a shame the radio edit is included on this one, but otherwise, this is an excellent compilation, one I highly recommend, although again, I can't stress enough that the aforementioned collection, which includes some wonderful (but sadly) post-John Entwistle material, as well as a live cut or two, is better. To compensate, this has "The Seeker" and a few other treats my choice is missing. That said, for those new to The Who, this is a fantastic entry point.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#253917) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'My Generation - The Very Best Of The Who' - The Who (Compilation)

Here is one of the better compilations for this seminal English hard rock band. 'My Generation' was one of the most recognizable songs of the British Invasion, so it seems natural that the compilation of the best songs by The Who would be named this in turn. While The Who may be best known for a few albums that were released within a couple years of each other, the truth is that they had a fairly long career, and are even back together touring now, albeit with half the members missing due to unfortunate complications caused by death. As for the songs that are included on this compilation, there is a definite focus on the tracks from The Who's earlier career, featuring such great tracks as 'I Can't Explain', 'I Can See For Miles', and- of course- 'My Generation'. Moving into their later, more progressive works, there are still a few songs that people would surely recognize, like 'Baba O'Reilly' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again', but for the most part, this compilation is geared towards the listeners that view The Who as a band from the '60s, rather than a progressive arena rock from the 70's or even '80s. There are many compilations from this group out there, and while some seem to balance the focus out between the classic albums and more apocryphal material as if it were some formality, 'My Generation' is a compilation which gives the casual listener the songs they want, so for all intents and purposes, this is a successful venture, although a best-of compilation can still never replace the experience of a full album.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#468845) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 24, 2011

Post a review of THE WHO "My Generation - The Very Best of The Who"