MY GENERATION - THE VERY BEST OF THE WHO

Proto-Prog

The Who My Generation - The Very Best of The Who album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1996

1. I Can`t Explain (2:04)
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (2:40)
3. My Generation (3:18)
4. Substitute (3:47)
5. I`m a Boy (2:36) *
6. Boris the Spider (2:27)
7. Happy Jack (2:11)
8. Pictures of Lily (2:45)
9. I Can See for Miles (4:21) *

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who lyrics

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who tabs

- Roger Daltrey / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass guitar, brass and vocals
- Keith Moon / drums (except track 20 - Kenney Jones)
- Pete Townshend / guitar, synthesizers, piano and vocals

C.D. (U.S.): MCA MCAD-11462.

Thanks to Guillermo for the addition

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who Music

Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
Heavy D And The Boyz 12" Who's The Man PROMO US $8.00 Buy It Now 31m 40s
The Who "You Better You Bet" 7" 45 Picture Sleeve 1981 WB Records US $2.25 [0 bids]
31m 50s
The Who 5:15/I'm One 7" 45 Picture Sleeve (from the soundtrack of Quadrophenia) US $2.50 [0 bids]
32m 34s
THE WHO "NM WAX / BOOKLET" The Story of The Who MPZ8101 2LP AD4464 US $7.99 [1 bids]
33m 7s
34m 11s
ARETHA FRANKLIN WHO'S ZOOMIN WHO? LP NEVER OPENED-SMOKE FREE STORED SINCE NEW! US $21.00 [0 bids]
34m 35s
Adam Faith/Who Am I/1961 Parlophone 7" Single/EX US $4.25 Buy It Now 35m 1s
The Guess Who "Hand Me Down World" / "Runnin' Down The Street" 7" SINGLE US $0.99 [0 bids]
36m 6s
JELLYBEAN WHO FOUND WHO ELISA FIORILLO 1987CHRYSALIS 43089 W/SHRINK EX/EX++ US $6.99 [0 bids]
37m 20s
DMX- Who we be - Guaranteed Original - New OLD STOCK US $2.99 Buy It Now 37m 21s
HICKORY RIDGE OLD JOE WHO 7" CANADIAN COUNTRY BLUERIDGE RECORDS WW074-001 US $15.00 Buy It Now 39m 22s
WHO-HOOLIGANS rock 2LP US $13.48 Buy It Now 39m 56s
ARETHA WHO'S ZOOMIN WHO PROMO 1985 ARISTA 19411 EX/EX US $5.99 [0 bids]
40m 7s
Magnetophone The Man Who Ate The Man PROMO CD Single US $2.99 Buy It Now 40m 34s
Pioneers Who Got Scalped US $19.43 Buy It Now 41m 37s
DION - LOVERS WHO WANDER - CD - LINE - 1990 - GERMANY US $14.90 Buy It Now 41m 41s
Hank Thompson: "Who Left The Door To Heaven Open" - his '74 hit - nice vinyl! US $1.00 [0 bids]
42m 3s
THE SPY WHO LOVED ME Soundtrack LP NM Roger Moore US $9.99 [0 bids]
44m 35s
THE WHO - SOUVENIR - TWO LIVE SHOWS ON 2 LP'S - VERY RARE ISSUE - EXCELLENT! US $49.99 Buy It Now 45m 32s
FRESH who you testin feat. mack boney & david banner 12" Mint- FRE 002 Vinyl US $40.00 Buy It Now 45m 33s
1975 THE WHO 'WHO BY NUMBERS' VINYL LP - SPELP 68 (EXCELLENT CONDITION) US $10.22 [1 bids]
46m 26s
WHO - MY GENERATION - DELUXE EDITION - 2 CD BOX SET US $22.99 [0 bids]
WHO - QUADROPHENIA - 2 CD SET - REMASTERED NEW - The Who US $25.89 [0 bids]
WHO - QUADROPHENIA - REMASTERED - SOUNDTRACK CD US $19.99 [0 bids]
47m 43s
Who, The - Endless Wire Limited Edition - 2 CD & DVD (Oct-2006) Brand New US $24.99 [0 bids]
FRESHMEN WHO ME? 1986 12 SINGLE SELECT 62270 PROMO US $5.98 Buy It Now 48m 38s
WHO - The Kids Are Alright - Japan Jewel Case SHM - CD US $34.95 [0 bids]
48m 49s
WHO - WHO'S NEXT - JAPAN SHM JEWEL CASE CD - SEALED - UICY20080 US $34.95 [0 bids]
48m 49s
VINYL 45 John Lennon / Yoko Ono - Instant Karma / Who Has Seen The Wind US $11.99 Buy It Now 50m 2s
WHO - MAGIC BUS - JAPAN MINI LP CD - OUT OF PRINT US $99.99 [0 bids]
52m 23s
DEEP PURPLE - Who Do We Think We Are - 24 kt Gold CD - AFZ027 - AUDIO FIDELITY US $47.51 [0 bids]
52m 24s
WHO - MY GENERATION - JAPAN DELUXE EDITION - 2 CD US $84.99 [0 bids]
52m 24s
JOHN ENTWISTLE whistle rymes LP MINT original 1972 peter frampton the who US $9.99 [0 bids]
53m 33s
UNION on strike PROMO LP NM portrait 37368 guess who bachman turner overdrive US $9.99 [0 bids]
53m 33s
LITTLE MILTON--WHO'S CHEATING WHO?(northern soul) US $12.00 Buy It Now 54m 14s
The Who, Who's Next Deluxe Edition CD, 2 Discs, Bonus Tracks & Live Concert Mint US $12.00 Buy It Now 54m 19s
Who's Greatest Hits Cassette Tape New Sealed US $8.95 Buy It Now 54m 30s
Who Needs Guitars Anyway? by Alice Deejay (Cassette, 2005, Republic) NEW US $16.99 Buy It Now 54m 37s
Live at Leeds [LP] by Who (The) (Vinyl, Dec-2003, PMS) US $7.99 Buy It Now 54m 41s
12" - SAINT ETIENNE - WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE - 1993 Warner Bros. US $2.99 [0 bids]
55m 19s
The Who John Mayall Birds Marianne Faithful Uxbridge Festival Poster 1965 US $25.50 Buy It Now 55m 31s
The Who John Mayall Birds Marianne Faithful Uxbridge Festival Poster 1965 US $16.97 Buy It Now 55m 31s
The Who John Mayall Birds Marianne Faithful Uxbridge Festival Poster 1965 US $8.44 Buy It Now 55m 31s
The Who Face Dances Cassette Tape New Sealed US $8.95 Buy It Now 56m 10s
The Who Gigantes Del Pop Cassette Tape New Sealed US $8.95 Buy It Now 57m 2s
? Lyres - Someone Who'll Treat You Right Now (3 song EP US $14.99 Buy It Now 57m 7s
Who Framed Roger Rabbit Soundtrack USA Cassette Tape US $5.99 Buy It Now 57m 28s
PROMO CREEDENCE CCR Travelin Band Who'll StopThe Rain 45rpm VINYL PICTURE SLEEVE US $11.99 [0 bids]
58m
Thad Bosley - Who Can Change the World? - LP SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 59m 4s
KORN - III REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE, LP ORIGINAL GERMAN EDITION *BRAND NEW/SEALED* US $30.76 Buy It Now 1h
The Who Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy Cassette Tape New Sealed US $8.95 Buy It Now 1h
Who's the Man? Original Soundtrack CD PA Jodeci Father MC Heavy D House of Pain US $4.99 [0 bids]
1h
CARLY SIMON SOUNDTRACK 007 SINGLE MADE IN PORTUGAL 45 PS 7 * THE SPY WHO LOVE ME US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Who, Tommy Deluxe Edition CD, 2 Discs, Bonus Tracks, Alternate Outtakes Mint US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 5m
B1A4 - Who Am I [2nd Album] on the cover BARO US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
B1A4 - Who Am I [2nd Album] on the cover JIN YOUNG US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
B1A4 - Who Am I [2nd Album] on the cover SANDEUL US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
B1A4 - Who Am I [2nd Album] on the cover GONGCHAN US $18.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
THE STORY OF THE WHO GATEFOLD COVER 2 RECORDS WITH ATTACHED BOOKLET ALBUM US $10.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO "MEATY BEATY BIG AND BOUNCY" US $4.95 [0 bids]
THE WHO "WHO'S NEXT" US $24.95 [0 bids]
Whitney Houston 45 I'm Every Woman/Who Do You Love w/jukebox title strip US $0.79 [0 bids]
The Who - Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy - Decca US Vinyl LP US $68.23 Buy It Now 1h 11m
The Genies 45 "Who's That Knocking / The First Time" - Doo-Wop US $49.99 Buy It Now 1h 11m
PAUL McCartney CD Oobu Joobu part 4 radio program June 5 Westwood One who US $94.95 Buy It Now 1h 12m
ALANNAH MYLES-YOU LOVE WHO YOU LOVE 3 TRAC GERMAN NM CD US $9.48 Buy It Now 1h 13m
GUESS WHO - GUESS WHAT - 1996 CD - CANADA 1983 + ----------- K @@ L US $19.99 [0 bids]
Carmen McRae - Recorded Live at Bubba's (1981) - New 2000 Who's Who in Jazz CD! US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
COUNTRY CD" (142) "CONWAY TWITTY--WHO WILL PRAY FOR ME" # MCAD-20716 MCA RECORDS US $1.95 [0 bids]
JIGSAW EMI WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE SINGLE MADE IN PORTUGAL 45 PS 7 RARE US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
PICKIN ON THE WHO / VARIOUS NEW CD US $21.32 Buy It Now 1h 16m
THE WHO Direct Hits JAPAN LP w/PICTURE OBI+INSERT MPX-4020 Free S US $39.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO Face Dances JAPAN LP w/OBI+INSERT 25AP 2034 Free S&H/P&P US $39.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO Tommy JAPAN 2LP w/OBI+INSERT 28MM 0533~4 Free S&H/P&P US $69.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO Live at Leeds JAPAN LP w/PICTURE OBI+INSERT MPX-4021 Free S US $39.99 [0 bids]
THE WHO Who's Last JAPAN 2LP w/OBI+INSERT+INNER SLEEVES P-6167~8 Free S US $49.99 [0 bids]
The Guess Who BEST OF GREATEST HITS LP Album VG+ RCA APL1-2253 US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
He Who Shall Not Bleed * by Dimension Zero (Sweden) (CD, Jan-2009,... US $7.00 [0 bids]
OHIO PLAYERS who'd she coo / bi centennial 7" VG+ 73814 Funk USA 1976 Record US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Who - Quadrophenia (2 CD 1991) MFSL GOLD DISC CD Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab US $179.99 Buy It Now 1h 18m
LOT OF CLASSIC ROCK VINYL RECORDS THE WHO AND THE ROLLING STONES LP ALBUMS US $10.99 [1 bids]
AC/DC WHO MADE WHO - 1986 USED CD THAT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION - 9 TRACKS US $9.99 [0 bids]
MADONNA - WHO´S THAT GIRL SINGLE MADE IN PORTUGAL 45 PS 7 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
*NO BARCODE* *ROCK* ~THE GUESS WHO~ ::: Wild One ::: PICKWICK C/O (UNSealed) US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Man Who Loves Women by Dimples (CD, Nov-1994, Owch Records) RARE! US $6.00 [0 bids]
Jeffery Osborne You Should Be Mine NM/Who Would Have Guessed NM 1986 R US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
ALBERT FLASHER - THE GUESS WHO US $0.99 [0 bids]
Elton John - Who Wears These Shoes? - Picture Sleeve ONLY - Geffen - 1984 US $2.00 [0 bids]
MOUNTED PRINT OF THE WHO 12 DISCOGRAPHY 3 SIZES SUPERB GIFT ARTWORK ROCK INDIE US $10.22 Buy It Now 1h 27m
MOUNTED PRINT OF THE WHO 12 DISCOGRAPHY 3 SIZES SUPERB GIFT ARTWORK ROCK INDIE US $11.92 Buy It Now 1h 27m
MOUNTED PRINT OF THE WHO 12 DISCOGRAPHY 3 SIZES SUPERB GIFT ARTWORK ROCK INDIE US $13.63 Buy It Now 1h 27m
MOUNTED PRINT OF THE WHO 12 DISCOGRAPHY 3 SIZES SUPERB GIFT ARTWORK ROCK INDIE US $24.73 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Who Let the Dogs Out by Baha Men (CD, Jul-2000, Artemis Records) US $1.50 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(29%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(47%)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who reviews

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This is another compilation from The Who, released in 1996, but with the inclusion of half of the tracks in remixed versions, some of them done for the "Thirty Years of Maximun R&B" Box Set released in 1994, and some of them done for the then forthcoming remixed studio albums. The sound of this C.D, is very good, and more in the remixed tracks, but I still can`t listen to the differences in comparison the old mixes of these tracks. Most of the tracks included in this C.D. were previously released as singles, and some of them, particularly the very early tracks, are released in Mono mixes. Also, many of these tracks were previously released in the "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" double L.P. compilation in 1972. I don`t know if this 1972 compilation has been released in C.D., but I think that this 1996 C.D. compilation is a very good selection of tracks recorded by the band since their beginning until 1981. There are no tracks from their "It`s Hard" album released in 1982, and maybe the reason was that Roger Daltrey didn`t like that album, but I think that at least "Eminence Front" from that album deserved to be released in this compilation. In conclusion, this compilation is very good, particularly for the persons who are new listeners of the music of The Who.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#130857) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 30, 2007

Review by Chicapah
4 stars There are several "Who's Best" albums out there but for my money it's hard to beat this particular collection. Not only does it do a superb job of presenting The Who's most recognizable music in chronological order, showing the band's amazing evolution from inexperienced punks to arena-filling superstars who greatly affected the course of modern rock history, but the pristine remastering makes every song sound fresh and invigorating. Plus it's all contained on one long CD.

Clocking in at barely over 2 minutes, their first single "I Can't Explain" (recorded in late '64) is so good that they frequently opened their concerts with it for over 25 years. An extremely young Jimmy Page plays the second guitar and a vocal group called the Ivy League sings backup on this urgent rocker that was obviously influenced by The Kinks. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" was their second single and it topped out at #10 in the UK (the US wasn't prepared to assimilate these boisterous kids quite yet). Nicky Hopkins provides some hot piano work and the arrogant, defiant lyrics separated the group from the lightweight Mersey beat combos that eventually slipped into oblivion. What can I say about the juggernaut that is "My Generation" that hasn't been said a million times before? Its awesome power is as impressive today as it was the first time I heard it. A song so iconic that every pimply-faced male teen latched onto it and claimed it for their own. "Substitute" is another energetic, in-your-face single that sprang from Pete Townsend's feeling that the band was a substitute for the bluesier Rolling Stones and represents his first foray into the world of being a record producer. It's yet another song that proved to be timeless as they performed it live throughout their career.

Hinting at bigger things to come, the quirky "I'm a Boy" came directly from Pete's vision of a longer project to be called "Quads" that he eventually abandoned in favor of "Tommy." Virtually unheard in the states, it matched the success of "My Generation" by rising to #2 in the UK. John Entwistle's "Boris the Spider" is looked upon as a weird novelty tune by many but it definitely brought his enormous and highly influential bass guitar sound to the forefront. "Happy Jack" might be Townsend's song but Keith Moon's drums are the star of this show and it demonstrates exactly what made him irreplaceable in the long run. You'd be hard pressed to find another tune like it. "Pictures of Lily" is one of my all-time favorite Who tracks because it just sizzles from beginning to end. As for the controversial lyrics, Pete was just voicing what nobody else had the cajones to even bring up. Gotta love John's climactic, out-of-control French Horn lead, too. The definitive opening E chord to "I Can See For Miles" leads you right into what I consider one of the best examples of early progressive rock with its unconventional, dynamic accents and intertwining vocal harmonies. That pivotal key change tears my head off every time.

If there's a low point to be found in these proceedings it's the inclusion of "Magic Bus." The monotonous Bo Diddley vibe gets old in a hurry. "Pinball Wizard" was the best advertisement imaginable for their groundbreaking rock opera, "Tommy," as it raced right up to #4 on the charts. Roger Daltrey's commanding vocal had a lot to do with grabbing everyone's attention, making them want to hear more of that masterpiece. As a single "The Seeker" may have been a disappointment but it's still a monster song regardless. I like to think of it as what Tommy became after his followers walked out on him. "Baba O'Riley" is just flat-out one of the best cuts in the annals of progressive rock. 'Nuff said. And "Won't Get Fooled Again" dwells on that same lofty plateau in my book. Its plain truth and immaculate musical tightness is a wonder to behold. "Let's See Action" is more of an experiment from Pete than an actual call to take up revolutionary arms but Roger does a good job of selling the concept with his strained singing.

"5:15" from Quadrophenia is a ballsy rocker performed with a full horn section and in the band's inimitable style. Daltrey's memorable Jew's Harp intro on "Join Together" gives it a distinctive flavor and represents yet another leftover from Townsend's mysterious "Lifehouse" project. Borne out of Pete's learning to play accordion, "Squeeze Box" may be the ultimate un-Who song with its hillbilly feel provided by the up-front banjo pickin' and, as Townsend humbly admitted, its "devastating simplicity." Containing words penned after Pete spent the night in a London gutter in a drunken stupor, "Who Are You" is a fine specimen of the group's progressive attitude. Cool synthesizer moments abound. It also marks the last single that Keith played drums on. (R.I.P. Moonie) And last but in no way least "You Better You Bet" brings this excellent Who-fest to a conclusion. When it came out in early 1981 I didn't give it much merit or even a fair listen because I missed Keith Moon so much but over the years I've come to appreciate and enjoy its considerable charms.

If there's anything I'd change about this compilation it would be to omit "Magic Bus" and tack on the driving "Eminence Front" right at the end. But that's just me. And I would also encourage you to buy at least 5 or 6 of their albums to get the full Who experience but, as "greatest hits" assemblages go, this is an unequivocal winner. Great for cruisin' with the car stereo blasting, that's for sure. You know you can't go wrong with The Who on board.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#132981) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars While I somewhat prefer the later compilation The Who- Then and Now, it's awfully hard to beat this one in terms of both value and scope. Most of the radio hits are here in some form or another, and a few obscurer hardcore fan choices are also included. This was my first experience with The Who in terms of something I could hold in my hand (I'd heard them on the radio and from friends' collections for years, of course), and I recall running around with my buddy as soon as he got his license- we must've run through hundreds of albums of varying styles, including Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Marley, Dave Mason, Jerry Jeff Walker, and even Outkast. My favorite song from The Who has always been "Who Are You," and it's a shame the radio edit is included on this one, but otherwise, this is an excellent compilation, one I highly recommend, although again, I can't stress enough that the aforementioned collection, which includes some wonderful (but sadly) post-John Entwistle material, as well as a live cut or two, is better. To compensate, this has "The Seeker" and a few other treats my choice is missing. That said, for those new to The Who, this is a fantastic entry point.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#253917) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'My Generation - The Very Best Of The Who' - The Who (Compilation)

Here is one of the better compilations for this seminal English hard rock band. 'My Generation' was one of the most recognizable songs of the British Invasion, so it seems natural that the compilation of the best songs by The Who would be named this in turn. While The Who may be best known for a few albums that were released within a couple years of each other, the truth is that they had a fairly long career, and are even back together touring now, albeit with half the members missing due to unfortunate complications caused by death. As for the songs that are included on this compilation, there is a definite focus on the tracks from The Who's earlier career, featuring such great tracks as 'I Can't Explain', 'I Can See For Miles', and- of course- 'My Generation'. Moving into their later, more progressive works, there are still a few songs that people would surely recognize, like 'Baba O'Reilly' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again', but for the most part, this compilation is geared towards the listeners that view The Who as a band from the '60s, rather than a progressive arena rock from the 70's or even '80s. There are many compilations from this group out there, and while some seem to balance the focus out between the classic albums and more apocryphal material as if it were some formality, 'My Generation' is a compilation which gives the casual listener the songs they want, so for all intents and purposes, this is a successful venture, although a best-of compilation can still never replace the experience of a full album.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#468845) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 24, 2011

Post a review of THE WHO "My Generation - The Very Best of The Who"