MY GENERATION - THE VERY BEST OF THE WHO

Proto-Prog

The Who My Generation - The Very Best of The Who album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1996

1. I Can`t Explain (2:04)
2. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (2:40)
3. My Generation (3:18)
4. Substitute (3:47)
5. I`m a Boy (2:36) *
6. Boris the Spider (2:27)
7. Happy Jack (2:11)
8. Pictures of Lily (2:45)
9. I Can See for Miles (4:21) *

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who lyrics

Search THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who tabs

- Roger Daltrey / vocals
- John Entwistle / bass guitar, brass and vocals
- Keith Moon / drums (except track 20 - Kenney Jones)
- Pete Townshend / guitar, synthesizers, piano and vocals

C.D. (U.S.): MCA MCAD-11462.

Thanks to Guillermo for the addition

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who Music

Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
Who Invited Roger [Digipak] by The Clintons (CD, Jan-2002) US $17.97 Buy It Now 32m 19s
PETE TOWNSEND VINYL white city LP The Who david gilmour VG+Ex SHIPS US FREE US $13.99 [0 bids]
32m 33s
Ray Price - One More Time / Who'll Be The First 45 1960 US $1.79 Buy It Now 36m
MUSICARDS 1991 Pro Set Music Card No 020 Legends The WHO US $4.89 Buy It Now 39m 49s
12 Inch Heaven 17 Who Will Stop The Rain Extended US US $5.75 Buy It Now 44m 32s
CD/Japan- RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK Man Who Cried Fire w/OBI RARE ORIGINAL 1991 OOP US $22.99 Buy It Now 44m 36s
AC/DC WHO MADE WHO BACK PATCH 100% VINTAGE MINT CONDITION SHIRT LP CD TAPE US $19.99 [0 bids]
49m 22s
THE WHO Who's Greatest Hits CD MCA Records Pete Townshend Roger Daltrey Seeker US $3.99 Buy It Now 52m 7s
"WHO IS KILLING THE GREAT CHEFS OF EUROPE?" Henry Mancini OST Epic WLP Promo NM US $17.95 Buy It Now 53m 46s
Face Dances [Import] [Audio CD] Who US $3.93 Buy It Now 54m 20s
NO 2.CD SINGLE. WHO DA FUNK.TERRA DEVA.STING ME RED.SPHUNK003 US $18.66 Buy It Now 56m 25s
THE WHO MEATY BEATY BIG AND BOUCNY US $21.99 Buy It Now 56m 34s
TEXAS IS THE REASON Do You Know Who You Are LP BLACK VNIYL 330 MADE UNPLAYED US $23.99 Buy It Now 59m 14s
The Man Who Cried Johnny Depp, Blanchett, Ricci...Soundtrack CD US $14.95 Buy It Now 1h
CD: Nick Morrison- Who Cares? So What! US $4.35 Buy It Now 1h 2m
WOODSTOCK VINYL triple LP Hendrix baez The Who FREE US SHIPPING US $19.99 [0 bids]
NEW - Who You Really Are US $7.67 Buy It Now 1h 8m
45 Record NOT original sleeve Blues Brothers Who's making love & Perry Mason The US $8.00 [0 bids]
THE WHO FACE DANCES HS 3516 VINYL LP 1981 SHRINK ORIG PRESS STERLING VG++!! US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
THE WHO MEATY BEATY BIG AND BOUNCY DL 79184 VINYL LP 1971 PLAYS GREAT! VG+/VG+!! US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
David Bowie DVDs 3no. The Man Who Fell To Earth Etc US $8.27 [1 bids]
ROUGH TRADE: FOR THOSE WHO THINK YOUNG (1982) CASSETTE - NEW - FREE SHIPPING US $7.20 Buy It Now 1h 32m
House Martins PEOPLE WHO GRINNED THEMSELVES TO DEATH - Vinyl LP US $5.95 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Bobby Byrd - I Know You Got soul / It's I Who Love You on KING US $0.99 [1 bids]
THE WHO QUADROPHENIA 2 LP GATEFOLD US $14.99 [0 bids]
Who Let the Girls Out - Countdown Singers (The) (CD) US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
JOHNNIE TAYLOR Who's Making Love STAX LP VG US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
The Who Tommy vinyl Sealed MCA2-10005/DXW US $25.00 [0 bids]
RIVA featuring DANNII MINOGUE 'who do you love now?' cd single US $10.28 Buy It Now 2h
lot 11 VINTAGE Cash Lymon Joplin Darin Cline Haggard Twitty Who RECORDS 45RPM US $1.49 [0 bids]
Lot of 2 Who's Greatest Hits & The Best of Ted Nugent CD's US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 8m
Burton Cummings - Self Title Asian LP JS-5189 Guess Who US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 9m
The Guess Who Rare Burton Cummings Signed 7" Vinyl Record 1970 Share The Land US $199.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Horslips/The Man Who Built America US $6.75 Buy It Now 2h 23m
JUICY LUCY ~ WHO DO YOU LOVE ~ ORIG 1969 ~ VIRTIGO ~ UK 45 COVER OF BO DIDDLEY US $2.47 [0 bids]
Who I Am - Jackson, Alan (CD 1994) US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Dr Who Dat Beat Journey CD Rap Hip Hop Music Album Brand New US $13.25 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Young Fresh Fellows "Men Who Loved Music"LP OOP EX REM Flop The Posies Fastbacks US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 37m
Dr who tardis new poster sonic screwdriver tennant dalek tee t-shirt US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Dr who 2 tardis new poster sonic screwdriver tennant dalek tee t-shirt US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
JPN w/Obi ++ AC/DC ++ Who made who _ early press US $14.00 [3 bids]
CILLA BLACK - ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART 7" VINYL US $6.62 Buy It Now 2h 54m
ROGER DALTREY : ROCKS IN THE HEAD IMPORT CD ALBUM THE WHO 11 TRACK ATLANTIC US $11.26 Buy It Now 2h 54m
PLANET FUNK - WHO SAID (STUCK IN THE UK) 5 TRACK CD SINGLE 2003 US $0.94 [0 bids]
PETE TOWNSEND : PSYCHODERELICT CD ALBUM 1993 THE WHO INC ENGLISH BOY US $7.94 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Jimmy Smith WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? - VERVE V6-8583 1964 GATEFOLD RARE US $20.00 [0 bids]
Zutons : Who Killed The Zutons [New Version] CD (2004) US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
WHO IS JILL SCOTT - WORDS & SOUNDS VOL 1 CD US $3.73 [0 bids]
Uncut,CD,Those Who Were Hung Hang Here US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 18m
The Who(Pete Townshend)-1980 poster size press advert US $16.56 Buy It Now 3h 21m
BROKIN ENGLISH KLIK - Who's Da Gangsta / 9 Reasons NEW CASSETTE SINGLE US $8.28 Buy It Now 3h 21m
FOUR LADS Who Needs You It's So Easy To Forget 50s 7" 45 vintage vinyl record VG US $0.50 [0 bids]
Michael ONeill, Who's Bad Now Audio CD US $4.31 Buy It Now 3h 32m
LINOCUT - Who Will We What? (1 CD) [Linocut] US $7.44 Buy It Now 3h 35m
BEVERLEY KNIGHT - WHO I AM - CD - VERY GOOD US $8.37 Buy It Now 3h 38m
John Entwistle - Rigor Mortis + Mad Dog 2 Japan mini lp cd Tony Ashton The Who US $55.90 Buy It Now 3h 41m
THE WHO - TOMMY THE MOVIE - ORIGINAL OZ PRESS OST ROCK 2LP - POLYDOR LABEL 1975 US $21.51 Buy It Now 3h 42m
THE WHO - MEATY BEATY BIG & BOUNCY - ORIGINAL OZ POLYDOR LABEL G/F LP - 1971 US $18.70 Buy It Now 3h 42m
THE WHO BY NUMBERS - ORIGINAL OZ POLYDOR LABEL LP - 1978 - ROGER DALTRY US $18.70 Buy It Now 3h 42m
THE SPORTS ~ Who Listens To The Radio ~ 12" Single US $9.93 Buy It Now 3h 42m
the Who 50th anniversary art print signed fanclub exclusive lithography no cd US $4.94 [1 bids]
THE WHO Meaty,Beaty,Big & Bouncy UK TRACK RECORDS SUPER "Porky" Clean TOP AUDIO US $21.54 Buy It Now 3h 49m
THE GUESS WHO 8 TRACK TAPE Road Food TESTED nw splice ~ Star Baby US $5.59 Buy It Now 3h 57m
THE WHO "PROMO" Odds and Sods JP Roger Daltrey LP d8969 US $379.99 Buy It Now 4h
JEFF BECK / WHO ELSE US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
THE WHO-QUADROPHENIA-JAPAN 5 BLU-RAY DVD Ltd/Ed AZ50 US $221.99 Buy It Now 4h 16m
The Who,CD,The Best Of The Who: The Millennium Collection US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
The Who - Collection Double LP Gatefold VG+ Digbitally Remastered! US $9.93 [0 bids]
Who - Endless Wire CD POLYDOR RE US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Landon Pigg - Boy Who Never CD US $13.04 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Guess Who - Wheatfield Soul CD US $15.79 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Pete Townshend(The Who)-2002 magazine advert US $11.59 Buy It Now 4h 34m
The Who(12" Vinyl Picture Disc)Maximum R & B-Polydor-UK-Ex/New (UNPLAYED) US $41.44 Buy It Now 4h 36m
THE WHO Official Merchandise Keyring New CIRCLES LOGO US $6.62 Buy It Now 4h 43m
CD Madonna - Who's That Girl (BO) US $8.13 Buy It Now 4h 45m
cd-single, RIVA featuring Dannii Minogue - Who do you love now? US $3.70 Buy It Now 4h 46m
CANADA ROCKABILLY ORIGINAL 1958 45 ROCK-A-TEENS : WHO-HOO + UNTRUE US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 46m
CD SINGLE , BJORK,BEST MIXES ALBUM-DEBUT,FOR PEOPLE WHO DON,T BUY WHITE LABLES US $37.42 Buy It Now 4h 55m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(29%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(47%)

THE WHO My Generation - The Very Best of The Who reviews

Review by Guillermo
4 stars This is another compilation from The Who, released in 1996, but with the inclusion of half of the tracks in remixed versions, some of them done for the "Thirty Years of Maximun R&B" Box Set released in 1994, and some of them done for the then forthcoming remixed studio albums. The sound of this C.D, is very good, and more in the remixed tracks, but I still can`t listen to the differences in comparison the old mixes of these tracks. Most of the tracks included in this C.D. were previously released as singles, and some of them, particularly the very early tracks, are released in Mono mixes. Also, many of these tracks were previously released in the "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" double L.P. compilation in 1972. I don`t know if this 1972 compilation has been released in C.D., but I think that this 1996 C.D. compilation is a very good selection of tracks recorded by the band since their beginning until 1981. There are no tracks from their "It`s Hard" album released in 1982, and maybe the reason was that Roger Daltrey didn`t like that album, but I think that at least "Eminence Front" from that album deserved to be released in this compilation. In conclusion, this compilation is very good, particularly for the persons who are new listeners of the music of The Who.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#130857) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, July 30, 2007

Review by Chicapah
4 stars There are several "Who's Best" albums out there but for my money it's hard to beat this particular collection. Not only does it do a superb job of presenting The Who's most recognizable music in chronological order, showing the band's amazing evolution from inexperienced punks to arena-filling superstars who greatly affected the course of modern rock history, but the pristine remastering makes every song sound fresh and invigorating. Plus it's all contained on one long CD.

Clocking in at barely over 2 minutes, their first single "I Can't Explain" (recorded in late '64) is so good that they frequently opened their concerts with it for over 25 years. An extremely young Jimmy Page plays the second guitar and a vocal group called the Ivy League sings backup on this urgent rocker that was obviously influenced by The Kinks. "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" was their second single and it topped out at #10 in the UK (the US wasn't prepared to assimilate these boisterous kids quite yet). Nicky Hopkins provides some hot piano work and the arrogant, defiant lyrics separated the group from the lightweight Mersey beat combos that eventually slipped into oblivion. What can I say about the juggernaut that is "My Generation" that hasn't been said a million times before? Its awesome power is as impressive today as it was the first time I heard it. A song so iconic that every pimply-faced male teen latched onto it and claimed it for their own. "Substitute" is another energetic, in-your-face single that sprang from Pete Townsend's feeling that the band was a substitute for the bluesier Rolling Stones and represents his first foray into the world of being a record producer. It's yet another song that proved to be timeless as they performed it live throughout their career.

Hinting at bigger things to come, the quirky "I'm a Boy" came directly from Pete's vision of a longer project to be called "Quads" that he eventually abandoned in favor of "Tommy." Virtually unheard in the states, it matched the success of "My Generation" by rising to #2 in the UK. John Entwistle's "Boris the Spider" is looked upon as a weird novelty tune by many but it definitely brought his enormous and highly influential bass guitar sound to the forefront. "Happy Jack" might be Townsend's song but Keith Moon's drums are the star of this show and it demonstrates exactly what made him irreplaceable in the long run. You'd be hard pressed to find another tune like it. "Pictures of Lily" is one of my all-time favorite Who tracks because it just sizzles from beginning to end. As for the controversial lyrics, Pete was just voicing what nobody else had the cajones to even bring up. Gotta love John's climactic, out-of-control French Horn lead, too. The definitive opening E chord to "I Can See For Miles" leads you right into what I consider one of the best examples of early progressive rock with its unconventional, dynamic accents and intertwining vocal harmonies. That pivotal key change tears my head off every time.

If there's a low point to be found in these proceedings it's the inclusion of "Magic Bus." The monotonous Bo Diddley vibe gets old in a hurry. "Pinball Wizard" was the best advertisement imaginable for their groundbreaking rock opera, "Tommy," as it raced right up to #4 on the charts. Roger Daltrey's commanding vocal had a lot to do with grabbing everyone's attention, making them want to hear more of that masterpiece. As a single "The Seeker" may have been a disappointment but it's still a monster song regardless. I like to think of it as what Tommy became after his followers walked out on him. "Baba O'Riley" is just flat-out one of the best cuts in the annals of progressive rock. 'Nuff said. And "Won't Get Fooled Again" dwells on that same lofty plateau in my book. Its plain truth and immaculate musical tightness is a wonder to behold. "Let's See Action" is more of an experiment from Pete than an actual call to take up revolutionary arms but Roger does a good job of selling the concept with his strained singing.

"5:15" from Quadrophenia is a ballsy rocker performed with a full horn section and in the band's inimitable style. Daltrey's memorable Jew's Harp intro on "Join Together" gives it a distinctive flavor and represents yet another leftover from Townsend's mysterious "Lifehouse" project. Borne out of Pete's learning to play accordion, "Squeeze Box" may be the ultimate un-Who song with its hillbilly feel provided by the up-front banjo pickin' and, as Townsend humbly admitted, its "devastating simplicity." Containing words penned after Pete spent the night in a London gutter in a drunken stupor, "Who Are You" is a fine specimen of the group's progressive attitude. Cool synthesizer moments abound. It also marks the last single that Keith played drums on. (R.I.P. Moonie) And last but in no way least "You Better You Bet" brings this excellent Who-fest to a conclusion. When it came out in early 1981 I didn't give it much merit or even a fair listen because I missed Keith Moon so much but over the years I've come to appreciate and enjoy its considerable charms.

If there's anything I'd change about this compilation it would be to omit "Magic Bus" and tack on the driving "Eminence Front" right at the end. But that's just me. And I would also encourage you to buy at least 5 or 6 of their albums to get the full Who experience but, as "greatest hits" assemblages go, this is an unequivocal winner. Great for cruisin' with the car stereo blasting, that's for sure. You know you can't go wrong with The Who on board.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#132981) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 13, 2007

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
4 stars While I somewhat prefer the later compilation The Who- Then and Now, it's awfully hard to beat this one in terms of both value and scope. Most of the radio hits are here in some form or another, and a few obscurer hardcore fan choices are also included. This was my first experience with The Who in terms of something I could hold in my hand (I'd heard them on the radio and from friends' collections for years, of course), and I recall running around with my buddy as soon as he got his license- we must've run through hundreds of albums of varying styles, including Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Marley, Dave Mason, Jerry Jeff Walker, and even Outkast. My favorite song from The Who has always been "Who Are You," and it's a shame the radio edit is included on this one, but otherwise, this is an excellent compilation, one I highly recommend, although again, I can't stress enough that the aforementioned collection, which includes some wonderful (but sadly) post-John Entwistle material, as well as a live cut or two, is better. To compensate, this has "The Seeker" and a few other treats my choice is missing. That said, for those new to The Who, this is a fantastic entry point.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#253917) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'My Generation - The Very Best Of The Who' - The Who (Compilation)

Here is one of the better compilations for this seminal English hard rock band. 'My Generation' was one of the most recognizable songs of the British Invasion, so it seems natural that the compilation of the best songs by The Who would be named this in turn. While The Who may be best known for a few albums that were released within a couple years of each other, the truth is that they had a fairly long career, and are even back together touring now, albeit with half the members missing due to unfortunate complications caused by death. As for the songs that are included on this compilation, there is a definite focus on the tracks from The Who's earlier career, featuring such great tracks as 'I Can't Explain', 'I Can See For Miles', and- of course- 'My Generation'. Moving into their later, more progressive works, there are still a few songs that people would surely recognize, like 'Baba O'Reilly' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again', but for the most part, this compilation is geared towards the listeners that view The Who as a band from the '60s, rather than a progressive arena rock from the 70's or even '80s. There are many compilations from this group out there, and while some seem to balance the focus out between the classic albums and more apocryphal material as if it were some formality, 'My Generation' is a compilation which gives the casual listener the songs they want, so for all intents and purposes, this is a successful venture, although a best-of compilation can still never replace the experience of a full album.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#468845) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, June 24, 2011

Post a review of THE WHO "My Generation - The Very Best of The Who"