MEATY, BEATY, BIG AND BOUNCY

Proto-Prog

The Who Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1971

1. I Can't Explain (2:05)
2. The Kids Are Alright (2:45)
3. Happy Jack (2:12)
4. I Can See For Miles (4:06)
5. Pictures of Lily (2:43)
6. My Generation (3:18)
7. The Seeker (3:11)
8. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (2:42)
9. Pinball Wizard (2:59)
10. A Legal Matter (2:48)
11. Boris the Spider (2:28)
12. Magic Bus (3:21)*
13. Substitute (3:49)
14. I'm A Boy (Extended Version) (3:41)

Search THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy lyrics

Decca, MCA (US)
Reissued in Japan in 2007 by Universal Japan
Japanese version includes 4:33 version of *
Japanese version is 44:06 in length

Thanks to burtonrulez for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy Music

Who Are YouWho Are You
Extra tracks · Remastered
Mca 1996
ARETHA FRANKLIN WHO'S ZOOMIN' WHO AD1-9411 VINYL 12" EP 1985 GREAT COND! NM/NM!! US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 20s
DEEP PURPLE WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE! BS 2678 VINYL LP 1972 PLAYS GREAT! VG++!! US $14.99 Buy It Now 31m 21s
Sky Harbor - Who Would Have Guessed CD US $4.99 Buy It Now 31m 42s
BONFIRE 7 SINGLE RARE WHOS FOOLIN WHO 45 SIGNED US $15.90 [0 bids]
33m 1s
THE GUESS WHO # 10 VG+ 12" LP very good rock US $8.79 Buy It Now 35m 24s
The Who DBL LP Tommy Soundtrack - 2 Copies (4 LPs) - ONE Sleeve VG+/VG US $4.99 [0 bids]
38m 30s
DJ WHO / WHODA WHODIA the rhythm / who da' funk 12" Mint- KAL 023 Vinyl 2000 US $10.00 Buy It Now 40m 55s
THE WHO - A QUICK ONE, 2011 JAPAN SHM-CD + 10 BONUS TRACKS + OBI, NEW - SEALED! US $38.99 Buy It Now 41m 17s
AMERICAN MUSIC-TINA TURNER -GUESS WHO,DRIFTERS,SHIRELLS 2 LP Russian PRESS US $14.99 Buy It Now 43m 49s
THE GUESS WHO "SO LONG ... BANNATYNE" Record US $5.57 [0 bids]
46m 21s
DORIS DAY 45 - THE MAN WHO INVENTED LOVE - SCARCE PROMO US $11.99 [0 bids]
46m 48s
Tony Bennett, Who Can I Turn To 45, RED WAX RADIO STATION COPY, 4-43141, 1964 US $24.95 Buy It Now 47m 53s
BONTEMPI OWNERS CLUB FT X-BAR WHO'S GONNA EASE THE PRESSURE UK 12" PROMO US $9.99 Buy It Now 48m 4s
THE BEATMASTERS WITH MERLIN WHO'S IN THE HOUSE 12" 1990 SIRE 21784 SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 49m 9s
Lot of 5 Gary Wright LP Albums Who Am I,Light of Smiles,Headin Home,Touch US $12.99 Buy It Now 51m 22s
Webb Elevate / Who Am I 12" single Dark Zone Records SEALED US $5.00 Buy It Now 54m 25s
JOHN WESLEY HARDING - WHO WAS CHANGED & WHO WAS DEAD - BONUS CD NEW CD US $19.43 Buy It Now 1h
MURRAY GOLD - DOCTOR WHO-SERIES 5: ORIGINAL TV SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $31.00 Buy It Now 1h
DEEP PURPLE - WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE LP GREEN LABELS EXCELLENT US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
COMBATWOUNDEDVETERAN screamo noisecore I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene US $12.99 [0 bids]
LUCAS SANTTANA-THE GOD WHO DEVASTATES ALSO CURES-JAPAN CD F04 US $27.50 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Rare PETE TOWNSHEND (The Who) Who Came First HOLLAND Import LP - Great Shape! US $9.95 [0 bids]
ELECTRONIC MOOG ROCK OPERA - THE WHO Electric Tommy -The Worlds First Rock Opera US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 13m
Who Tommy LP Album Decca Records DXSW 7205 US $5.00 [0 bids]
THE WHO VINYL who's greatest hits LP Record Townsend FREE US SHIPPING US $17.99 [0 bids]
ED AMES who will answer? LP VG+ LSP 3961 Vinyl 1968 Record US $8.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
God Bless the Red Krayola and All Who Sail with It by The Red Crayola/The Red... US $7.99 [0 bids]
A FLAVOUR OF THE LABEL/WHO DARES WINS (PROMO) CD. US $9.25 [0 bids]
(( 45 RECORD + PICTURE SLEEVE-the WHO-"OVERTURE FROM TOMMY" Decca US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Kahi Who Are You? 2nd Mini Album Korean K-POP CD Sealed US $23.99 Buy It Now 1h 35m
The Unauthorized Autobiography Of Howard Who Caedom TC 9100 Record US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h 39m
Stuart Hamblen 45 I'm the One Who Loves You/I'll Find You - Columbia 4-20714 VG US $0.89 [0 bids]
TRACEY DEY who's text - teenage cleopatra 7" P LIBERTY 55604 Vinyl Record US $24.00 Buy It Now 1h 53m
SOUNDTRACK who is killing the great chefs of europe LP VG+ WLP SE 35692 Vinyl US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 54m
ZANZIBAR The Fall 12" single Whoop! Records WHO30 WLP promo (1999) UK Pressing US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
HORSLIPS the man who built america LP Mint- DJM-20 Vinyl 1973 Record US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 57m
The Who Collection DBL CD Japan Limited Box Book MOD US $199.99 Buy It Now 1h 57m
Who Killed John Lennon? book USA ISBN 0-312-03452-0 ST MARTIN'S PRESS 1989 US $39.47 Buy It Now 1h 58m
SMOKEY ROBINSON & Miracles - Who's Gonna Take the Blame TAMLA 54194 wlp DJ 45 US $6.95 Buy It Now 2h 9m
RELIENT K - WHO I AM HATE WHO IVE BEEN 2-TRACK U.S. PROMO DJ CD CS326 US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
The Who - It's Hard Japan Promo Vinyl LP w/OBI White Label US $39.99 Buy It Now 2h 10m
DJ STORM Now Who's In Control 12" 1998 BLATANT BEATS US $14.41 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Baha Men Who let the dogs out CDs 0115425ERE EX/VG UK US $10.25 Buy It Now 2h 17m
Period Pains - BBC Sessions Spice Girls Who Do You Think You Are? 1997 CD SEALED US $4.23 Buy It Now 2h 20m
EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY - THOSE WHO TELL THE TRUTH SHALL DIE NEW VINYL US $23.63 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Belles-Who Will Be Here to Hear Ep CD EP, Single New US $6.62 Buy It Now 2h 22m
RALPH YOUNG golden years / the man who can drive anything on wheels 7" VG US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Slade (Slade II) Featuring Daddy K CD Single - Who's To Blame (Cardsleeve) US $10.17 [0 bids]
WHO - LIVE AT LEEDS NEW CD US $15.57 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Gess Who Shakin all Over NM LP Vinyl Record Partial Estate Disposal US $4.04 [0 bids]
THE WHO GIGANTES DEL POP VOL 2 LP IMPORT 647 US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
Roni Size & Reprazent - Who told you UK CD US $5.08 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Uncut,CD,Those Who Were Hung Hang Here US $3.54 Buy It Now 2h 39m
AC/DC - Who Made Who - 1995 Picture Disc CD EMI acdc US $11.80 Buy It Now 2h 40m
FRED FIGGLEHORN - WHO'S READY TO PARTY NEW CD US $17.11 Buy It Now 2h 41m
The Who Magic Bus LP US DECCA DL 75064 Color Bar Labels In Shrink US EX US $60.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
WHO - WHO'S NEXT NEW CD US $17.11 Buy It Now 2h 42m
AC / DC - WHO MADE WHO (DLX) NEW CD US $15.20 Buy It Now 2h 42m
PETE TOWNSHEND THE WHO SIGNED 8 x 10 Inch PHOTO PSADNA COA US $211.80 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Dazzie Dee - Who'z Down Wit Me (2014) Maxi CD Single US $4.99 [0 bids]
JESSIE J-WHO YOU ARE JAPAN PLATINUM EDITION-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK E75 US $26.50 Buy It Now 2h 49m
Travis The man who CD ISOM9CD EX/EX UK US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 50m
BLACK FLAG Who's Got The 10 1/2? Live Vinyl LP NEW + SEALED US $25.44 Buy It Now 2h 51m
WHO - FACE DANCES - BONUS TRACKS NEW CD US $15.57 Buy It Now 2h 51m
Various Artists Austin Powers - The spy who shagged me CD 9362473482 EX/EX UK US $13.99 Buy It Now 2h 51m
JESSIE J - WHO YOU ARE (CLEAN) NEW CD US $17.11 Buy It Now 2h 52m
THE WHO 45 RPM SINGLE "MAGIC BUS" DECCA RECORDS US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 52m
THE WHO-WHO'S NEXT-JAPAN ISSUE PURE 180g LP LTD N50 US $76.50 Buy It Now 2h 52m
THE WHO:QUADROPHENIA LIVE LOND.BLUE RAY PURE AUDIO.PORCUPINE TREE.STEVEN WILSON. US $35.00 [0 bids]
Who Sell Out [Deluxe Edition] [Digipak] by The Who (CD, Mar-2009, 2 Discs,... US $14.99 Buy It Now 2h 56m
Ndegeocello, Me'shell Who is he and what is he to you 12" SAM1965 VG/EX UK Promo US $16.79 Buy It Now 2h 58m
TWIN HYPE for those who like to groove 12" VG+ PRO 7270 Vinyl 1989 Record US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 58m
Who Story of The Who LP 2683 069 VG/EX UK Gatefold US $24.26 Buy It Now 3h
Who Tommy LP 613014 VG/EX UK Gatefold US $56.00 Buy It Now 3h
Krux - Iii-He Who Sleeps CD US $19.40 Buy It Now 3h 16m
The Who Odds & Sods CD NEW (UK Import) US $9.22 Buy It Now 3h 16m
DR WHO: SERIES 3 / SOUNDTRACK NEW CD US $23.29 Buy It Now 3h 21m
BOOZOO CHAVIS - WHO STOLE MY MONKEY NEW CD US $23.29 Buy It Now 3h 21m
ROBBY MONCRIEFF - WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARN'T NEW CD US $16.34 Buy It Now 3h 22m
BLUES BOY WILLIE be who LP Mint- Promo ICH 1064 Ichiban 1990 WLP US $12.00 Buy It Now 3h 23m
Queen - Who Wants To Live Forever / Friends Will Be Friends 45 - Freddy Mercury US $8.99 [0 bids]
BING CROSBY "Who's Sorry Now?"/ "I've Found A New Baby" 78rpm 10" 1946 Y5995 EX US $14.03 Buy It Now 3h 27m
WHO - WHO ARE YOU - METAL FRIDGE MAGNET US $4.24 Buy It Now 3h 28m
The Quess Who - Road Food - EX US $4.95 [0 bids]
My Generation: The Very Best of the Who by The Who (CD) US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 29m
Who Will Walk in the Darkness With You, Black Swans, Good US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
SCOTT HAMILTON is a good wind who is blowing us no ill LP VG+ Promo CJ-42 1977 US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Who Needs Pictures, Brad Paisley, Good Enhanced US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 31m
THE HOUSEMARTINS-THE PEOPLE WHO GRINNED THEMSELVES TO DEATH-T SHIRT-WHITE-MED US $16.96 [0 bids]
Who I Am US $7.83 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Pete Townshend- Who Came First -gatefold - free UK postage US $25.44 Buy It Now 3h 34m
Mika - The Boy Who Knew Too Much 3CD Magazine Edition US $31.49 Buy It Now 3h 35m
The Charlatans - Who We Touch (NEW CD) US $14.84 Buy It Now 3h 36m
Jesus Jones Who where why (Crisis 12" Mix) 12" 12FOODDJ28 VG/EX UK Promo US $17.72 Buy It Now 3h 36m
WHO Quadrophenia UK Track ORIGINAL 1973 Double LP Issue w/Booklet NEAR MINT !! US $249.95 Buy It Now 3h 38m
Knifedance Who then is sane 12" None VG/EX US US $20.52 Buy It Now 3h 40m
ROGER DALTREY ~"Daltrey"~UK Track G/Fold LP 1973~2406107~A1/B1 Matrix~THE WHO US $20.35 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Red Light Who needs enemies 12" HB013 VG/EX Canada US $16.79 Buy It Now 3h 59m
Baha Men Cd album, ft bonus mixes - Who Let The Dogs Out US $14.11 Buy It Now 4h
The Who "Tommy" Rare MCA N/New CD US $14.12 Buy It Now 4h 6m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(16%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(26%)

THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy reviews

Review by js (Easy Money)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars This is a collection of early Who singles, as well as a few of their other early songs. I think most people are pretty familiar with most of these songs by now. Unfortunately many of these singles have been played to death over the years by classic rock radio stations, as well as various advertisers. Despite being overexposed, these tracks still represent some of the best British pop-rock to come out in the late 60s.

Although many of these songs are straight-up 60s British RnB/rockers, other songs such as Happy Jack, The Seeker, I Can See for Miles and Pinball Wizard show the group moving in a more progressive direction. The early Who are often compared to The Kinks and The Small Faces, but there are also some similarities in their music to Syd Barret's quirky pop, some of the punky songs The Nice did when O'List was in the band and even some of the early Moody Blues' more rocking numbers.

If you buy the version of this CD that was released in 2007, or the original vinyl, you get a longer version of Magic Bus complete with re-channeled stereo effects. The song sounds much better in its longer more psychedelic version.

It is unfortunate that these songs have been so over-played because they used to be some of the most exciting music you could hear on an AM radio.

Send comments to js (Easy Money) (BETA) | Report this review (#168179) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 19, 2008

Review by Chicapah
3 stars The first compilation of non-album Who songs released in the USA was Decca's ill-planned "Magic Bus - The Who on Tour," meant to greedily capitalize on the band's extensive and fan-winning concert appearances across the states. That poor 1968 album's title gave the false impression that it was recorded live, the tracks were mastered horribly and the cover art was atrocious. It included various B sides and studio cuts not good enough to be put on their official albums and was nothing more than a hastily packaged rip off created by their record label. Plus it was assembled without the group's knowledge or permission, making their justifiable mistrust of the cigar-chomping company big wigs grow even larger.

But, at last, in 1971 we avid followers of all things Who-related were pleased to see "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" hit the shelves. Not only was the enticing photo on the sleeve clever and witty in typical Who fashion, but finally we Americans could freely indulge in some of the hard-to-find British singles that we had only heard about. Pete Townsend even called it (at the time) the "best Who album ever" and, in many ways, he wasn't far off the mark. The LP was never far from my turntable for years on end. And for decades, until 1996 when MCA put out the excellent, 20-song "My Generation - The very best of the Who," this was the finest collection of their early material to be found. However, the latter CD is by far more comprehensive and complete (not to mention chronologically correct) so, for the proto-prog newbie that is just discovering the wonders of the Who, I recommend getting that one instead of "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" (unless one wants to spring for the box set of "30 years of Maximum R&B").

The only songs on here that aren't on the '96 MCA release are "The Kids are Alright" and "A Legal Matter" (both respectable ditties) but the inclusion of much of the band's stronger material from "Who's Next," "Quadrophenia" and their later albums more than makes up for their being left off.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#168235) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 20, 2008

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy' - The Who (Compilation)

'Meaty, Beaty, Big And Bouncy' was the first Who record I ever purchased. I was already a fan of the band's music, having listened to alot of their songs on the radio. Being that I was a relatively new fan to The Who when I got this, my appreciation for this compilation might be a good bit greater then others who are more into 'The Who.'

Being that this is the band's early British Invasion-styled rock, there is no prog to be had here, but in this case, that's okay. Some of the best music that came out of the British Invasion can be found on this disc, and alot of Who classics.

This is a CD I listened to a great deal when I first got it, but less and less when I started getting actual Who records. The compilation started to be stripped of it's purpose. Now that I've become a fan and own the material on this record, on other CDs and in their proper context, 'Meaty, Beaty, Big And Bouncy' can consider itself obsolete. However, it's a great selection of songs from the band's earlier period, and besides, I have to give the CD credit if it was strong enough to convince me to buy the other CDs, right?

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#207239) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 15, 2009

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This was a much needed compilation for Who fans that hadn't been around in the 60's to buy all of these non-album singles and had no way of having these tracks (since 45RPM singles were rarely reprinted) at home, even if this compilation also contained the singles "taken from the albums" as well. Nevertheless this made an excellent "60's greatest hits of The Who" and one that many fans played it through until the disc became transparent.

As such, for progheads, this album has no real interest in terms or "progyness", but it still remained for a while a very important Who album containing a few pearls like Substitute, Can't Explain, Happy Jack , the excellent Diddley-derived Magic Bus (which was a concert favourite for years). Unfortunately, MCA chose to go cheap on this compilation, probably not remastering the original recordings to fit 33RPM vinyls and the sound quality is not extra, either. I can't remember for sure whether this compilation was approved by the group itself or whether this was a management and record company stunt, but I think the group only moderately appreciated MBB&B, but it was surely something that most fans worldwide needed so despite the botched-up job, this compilation was one point for the industry and the fans.

Although I've seen this compilation in Cd format, this compilation lost probably most of its interest to the many other more recent Cd compilations or boxsets of the group, so most likely the utility of this album (besides a solid dose of nostalgia and it's relatively cool gatefold artwork) has been next to zero of late,

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#239473) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 15, 2009

3 stars Basically, a collection of early Who singles, some great, some not so much. It is a mixed bag of great rock anthems, and psychedlic-tinged pop songs. My favourites on here include mainly the classics such as My Generation, Pinball Wizzard, The Seeker and the very hilarious Substitute. I own k ... (read more)

Report this review (#170954) | Posted by burtonrulez | Wednesday, May 14, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WHO "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy"