MEATY, BEATY, BIG AND BOUNCY

Proto-Prog

The Who Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy album cover

Buy THE WHO Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1971

1. I Can't Explain (2:05)
2. The Kids Are Alright (2:45)
3. Happy Jack (2:12)
4. I Can See For Miles (4:06)
5. Pictures of Lily (2:43)
6. My Generation (3:18)
7. The Seeker (3:11)
8. Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere (2:42)
9. Pinball Wizard (2:59)
10. A Legal Matter (2:48)
11. Boris the Spider (2:28)
12. Magic Bus (3:21)*
13. Substitute (3:49)
14. I'm A Boy (Extended Version) (3:41)

Search THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy lyrics

Decca, MCA (US)
Reissued in Japan in 2007 by Universal Japan
Japanese version includes 4:33 version of *
Japanese version is 44:06 in length

Thanks to burtonrulez for the addition
and to NotAProghead for the last updates

THE WHO MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
Live at LeedsLive at Leeds
Remastered · Extra tracks
Mca 1995
Doctor Who Series 4 (ost) - VARIOUS ARTISTS New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.16 Buy It Now 30m 16s
Kenny Chesney, Just Who I Am CD US $5.00 [0 bids]
34m 14s
CD Live [Who's Who in Jazz] by Stan Getz (Sax) ( Feb-2000, Master Tone Records) US $7.95 Buy It Now 34m 42s
THE GUESS WHO AMERICAN WOMAN 1970 RECORD LSP-4266 Stereo RCA Records 1970 LP US $3.99 Buy It Now 35m 22s
Who's Greatest Hits by The Who (CD, Apr-1988, MCA (USA)) US $1.99 [0 bids]
37m 15s
THE GUESS WHO The Greatest Of The Guess Who RCA AYL 3746 VINYL LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 37m 39s
Ed Ames 45 RPM plus pic sleeve 1967 Who will answer? EX US $5.00 Buy It Now 42m 22s
ALAN JACKSON - WHO I AM (CD) US $3.95 [0 bids]
43m 12s
THE WALKMEN - EVERYONE WHO PRETENDED TO LIKE ME IS GONE CD NEW AND SEALED US $6.51 Buy It Now 44m 42s
AMAZULU-Too Good To Be Forgotten/Sez Who UK 7" EX Cond US $4.96 Buy It Now 45m 43s
HEAR Jimmy Ruffin - He Who Picks A Rose / Gladys Knight - If You Ever Get Your US $33.11 Buy It Now 48m 13s
For Those Who Have Heart Re-Release - Day to Remember A. New & Sealed CD Free Sh US $19.90 Buy It Now 49m 35s
THE GUESS WHO -THESE EYES----1992 ROCK CD-----BRAND NEW/ SEALED IN LONGBOX!!!! US $24.99 Buy It Now 51m 21s
The Who - A Quick One Japan Import SHM CD Box set OOP 2008 US $99.99 [0 bids]
52m 22s
Death Sentence - Those Who Fear US $9.97 Buy It Now 52m 29s
David Bowie Man Who Sold th World 70s lp cover 20 Cm Square Mount 10cm Hologram US $8.75 Buy It Now 53m 33s
CHASTAIN "For those who dare" ORG cd Roadrunner 90 US $34.99 Buy It Now 58m 6s
THE WHO (3 albums) Magic Bus, My Generation and Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy US $41.00 Buy It Now 58m 29s
Tony Toni Tone/Who?/1988 Wing LP/EX US $11.60 Buy It Now 1h
Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (CD, Jun-1999, Warner Bros.) US $1.29 [1 bids]
1h
LISTEN - SOUL POPCORN - KOLETTES - JUST HOW MUCH - WHO'S THAT GUY US $34.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Who Whos Next R VG- C VG (LP-12462) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
The Who - Quadrophenia - Rock US $24.95 [0 bids]
The Who Live at Leeds MCA37000 R NM C EX+ shrink (LP-12568) US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Korn Korn III Remember Who You Are 2010 CD Nu Metal Music Album Brand New US $9.94 Buy It Now 1h 6m
JESSIE J-WHO YOU ARE-JAPAN CD BONUS TRACK BONUS TRACK D95 US $22.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
78rpm DICKIE VALENTINE who`s afraid / finger of suspicion US $33.19 Buy It Now 1h 10m
Who Magic Bus LP PICTURE DISC US $59.00 [0 bids]
THE WHO - THE STORY OF THE WHO,12" DOUBLE ALBUM ON VINYL US $5.31 [2 bids]
DREAMBOYS Bela Lugosi's Birthday RARE 7" 45rpm Doctor Who PETER CAPALDI Dr. Who US $215.99 Buy It Now 1h 22m
1981 Bill Gaither Trio BLESS THE LORD WHO REIGNS IN BEAUTY vinyl LP Word sealed! US $14.88 Buy It Now 1h 25m
BLACK FLAG - WHO'S GOT THE 10 1/2 ? NEW VINYL US $27.63 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Guess Who 45 RPM Record-Rain Dance US $1.00 [0 bids]
Guess Who 45 RPM Record-Star Baby US $1.00 [0 bids]
HEART 7" PS Japan WHO WILL YOU RUN TO r8770 US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 27m
The Who - Live at Leeds - Record Album US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE IRON MAN: A MUSICAL - Pete Townshend CD 1989 Who John Lee Hooker Nina Simone US $1.99 [0 bids]
The Who - Live at Leeds (Live Recording) (CD 1995) US $8.28 Buy It Now 1h 31m
The Zutons - Who Killed...... (2004) US $4.81 Buy It Now 1h 36m
JOHNNIE TAYLOR "WHO'S MAKIN' LOVE c/w TAKE CARE OF YOUR HOMEWORK" LISTEN! US $13.26 Buy It Now 1h 37m
MARY WELLS The One Who Really Loves 45 US 1962 orig Motown 1024 US $17.98 Buy It Now 1h 37m
VIBRATIONS Expressway To Your Heart + Who's 45 US orig Neptune 19 US $22.98 Buy It Now 1h 37m
VIBRATIONS Smoke Signals + Who's Gonna Help 45 VG++ US orig Neptune 21 US $21.98 Buy It Now 1h 37m
SAPPHIRES Who Do You Love + Oh 45 US 1963 orig Swan S-4162-O US $13.98 Buy It Now 1h 37m
The Intruders(12"Vinyl)Who Do You Love-Streetwave-MKHAN 34-VG /VG US $9.94 Buy It Now 1h 39m
ISLEY BROTHERS Who Said b/w Can't You See What You Do To Me STOCK 45 M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Soso Who's gonna love me CD Promo Single US $8.28 Buy It Now 1h 42m
THE WHO BY NUMBERS US $7.99 [0 bids]
Bonfire(7" Vinyl P/S)Who's Foolin Who-MSA-ZB 43 505-Germany-Ex/Ex US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 43m
THE GUESS WHO 45RPM "UNDUN"&LAUGHING" VICTOR STEREO 74-0195 US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
HANK THOMPSON The Older The Violin / Who Left The Door To Heaven Open 7" 45 US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 44m
The Boy Who Trapped The Sun Home EP CD Promo Single US $8.28 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE GUESS WHO - Hang On To Your Life/Do You Miss Me (Import) US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
ED AMES- original 1967 RCA Victor 45 RPM record- Who will answer US $5.00 [0 bids]
SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE - REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE (New & Sealed) CD Soul Funk US $3.30 Buy It Now 1h 47m
OF MONTREAL If He Is Protecting Our Nation Who Will Protect Big Oil CD NEW Rock US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
Dionne Warwick Who Is Gonna Love Me? NM/(There's) Always Something 1968 R US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 49m
THE WHO CONCERT TICKET VINTAGE ORIGINAL 1979 LONDON VERY RARE VALUABLE BARGAIN!! US $16.51 [0 bids]
Who's Better, Who's Best by The Who US $1.99 [0 bids]
AC/DC "WHO MADE WHO/GUNS FOR HIRE(LIVE)" 1986 ATLANTIC 45 *MINT-* PICTURE SLEEVE US $6.99 [0 bids]
EURYTHMICS 7" VINYL P/S WHO'S THAT GIRL ? RCA DA 3 1983 EX US $4.96 Buy It Now 1h 54m
The Fascinators - I Wonder Who b/w Chapel Bells US $24.95 [0 bids]
FRED FIGGLEHORN - WHO'S READY TO PARTY? - NEW CD US $6.36 Buy It Now 1h 56m
JOHN LENNON-INSTANT KARMA/WHO HAS SEEN THE WIND? APPLE 1818 UNPLAYED! NM 45 US $8.98 Buy It Now 1h 56m
I Know Who Killed Me [Soundtrack] by Joel McNeely (CD) BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED US $11.95 Buy It Now 1h 57m
THE WHO SUMMER OF 79 PROGRAMME VINTAGE ORIGINAL 1979 TOUR VALUABLE BARGAIN!! US $14.85 [2 bids]
Who's Next - Who New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $107.89 Buy It Now 1h 58m
Hypnotize the Moon by Clay Walker (Country CD) "Who Needs You Baby" US $14.58 Buy It Now 1h 59m
THE WHO - LIVE AT SWANSEA - JUNE, 1976 - RARE AND AMAZING LIVE SHOW NEAR MINT US $28.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
7" RICH MCQUEEN " I'M WAITING FOR MY BABY / WHO'S THAT UNDER MY BED " US $11.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Who's Greatest Hits [1983 Audio Cassette, MCA Records MCAC-1496] US $4.49 Buy It Now 2h 6m
The Who "Face Dances" LP US $4.95 Buy It Now 2h 6m
The Who - A Quick One CD JAPAN OBI w. bonus tracks US $17.99 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Gary Wright - Who I Am (CD, Cypress) VERY RARE 1988 CD! US $11.49 [0 bids]
THE WHO 45 RPM "Summertime Blues" & "Heaven and Hell" VG to VG+ condition US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
WHO LET THE CATS OUT BY STERN,MIKE (CD) US $17.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
WHO DO YOU LOVE:GOLDEN CLASSICS BY SAPPHIRES (CD) US $17.25 Buy It Now 2h 12m
WHO AM I BY CORMEGA (CD) US $21.12 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Louie Louie: The Girl Who Seduced The World 12" VG++/NM USA Synthicide 71301-0 US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Ink Spots - Canada 78 - "You're Breaking My Heart" / "Who Do You Know In Heaven" US $10.97 [0 bids]
78 RPM.GAUMONT BRITISH DANCE ORCH.THINGS ARE LOOKING UP/WHO'S BEEN POLISHING EC US $8.22 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Ames Brothers - 78 - "Wang Wang Blues" / "Who'll Take My Place" VG Coral 60489 US $8.22 [0 bids]
ICE (Zak Starkey) A2Z - JAPAN CD 1990 TECP-28252 Ringo Starr OASIS THE WHO rare US $34.99 Buy It Now 2h 22m
WHO HAS SEEN THE WIND? by John Lennon/Yoko Ono 7" Vinyl Record US $7.00 [0 bids]
Vinyl Record LP - Flash Back Greats of the 60s Cream The Who Frankie Avalon US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Who - The Who By Numbers 1975 Ex/Vg Polydor 2490 129 US $16.58 Buy It Now 2h 25m
The Who - Who Are You 1978 Vg/Ex Polydor WHOD 5004 US $16.58 Buy It Now 2h 25m
The Who - Who Rocks Harder? 1985 NrMint/Ex DGR 1007 US $16.58 Buy It Now 2h 25m
WHO / RELAY / 1972 7" VG US $4.96 Buy It Now 2h 27m
6 Classic Rock Lps Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Bob Dylan, Guess Who US $24.00 Buy It Now 2h 27m
OTTERBACH, Philipp/QUARTIER MIDI - Who's To Blame? - 12" US $19.67 Buy It Now 2h 29m
The Who sings My Generation, LP Record, Stereophonic, Decca,Stereo, DL74664 1966 US $20.51 [7 bids]
GUESS WHO-THE BEST OF RCA AYL1-3662 VG+/VG+ LP US $11.98 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Jones, Mike, Who Is Mike Jones? (Screwed & Chopped) Audio CD US $4.79 Buy It Now 2h 34m
The Who 45 Doctor, Doctor/Pictures Of Lily Decca Records #32156 US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 35m
THE GUESS WHO Rain Dance / One Divided 7" PS Yugoslav US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 38m
JAMES BOND -"THE SPY WHO LOVED ME" SOUNDTRACK -UA-LA774-H 1977 12" LP EXCELLENT US $4.25 Buy It Now 2h 39m
Cameo - 3 LP LOT (Secret Omen/Ugly Ego/We All Know Who We Are) US $9.00 [0 bids]
Brave Belt Randy Bachman Reprise LP 1972 Guess Who US $12.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Burton Cummings by Burton Cummings (self titled) VVG (NM-) Guess Who, Stand Tall US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 43m

More places to buy THE WHO music online Buy THE WHO & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE WHO DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(16%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(26%)

THE WHO Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy reviews

Review by js (Easy Money)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
3 stars This is a collection of early Who singles, as well as a few of their other early songs. I think most people are pretty familiar with most of these songs by now. Unfortunately many of these singles have been played to death over the years by classic rock radio stations, as well as various advertisers. Despite being overexposed, these tracks still represent some of the best British pop-rock to come out in the late 60s.

Although many of these songs are straight-up 60s British RnB/rockers, other songs such as Happy Jack, The Seeker, I Can See for Miles and Pinball Wizard show the group moving in a more progressive direction. The early Who are often compared to The Kinks and The Small Faces, but there are also some similarities in their music to Syd Barret's quirky pop, some of the punky songs The Nice did when O'List was in the band and even some of the early Moody Blues' more rocking numbers.

If you buy the version of this CD that was released in 2007, or the original vinyl, you get a longer version of Magic Bus complete with re-channeled stereo effects. The song sounds much better in its longer more psychedelic version.

It is unfortunate that these songs have been so over-played because they used to be some of the most exciting music you could hear on an AM radio.

Send comments to js (Easy Money) (BETA) | Report this review (#168179) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, April 19, 2008

Review by Chicapah
3 stars The first compilation of non-album Who songs released in the USA was Decca's ill-planned "Magic Bus - The Who on Tour," meant to greedily capitalize on the band's extensive and fan-winning concert appearances across the states. That poor 1968 album's title gave the false impression that it was recorded live, the tracks were mastered horribly and the cover art was atrocious. It included various B sides and studio cuts not good enough to be put on their official albums and was nothing more than a hastily packaged rip off created by their record label. Plus it was assembled without the group's knowledge or permission, making their justifiable mistrust of the cigar-chomping company big wigs grow even larger.

But, at last, in 1971 we avid followers of all things Who-related were pleased to see "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" hit the shelves. Not only was the enticing photo on the sleeve clever and witty in typical Who fashion, but finally we Americans could freely indulge in some of the hard-to-find British singles that we had only heard about. Pete Townsend even called it (at the time) the "best Who album ever" and, in many ways, he wasn't far off the mark. The LP was never far from my turntable for years on end. And for decades, until 1996 when MCA put out the excellent, 20-song "My Generation - The very best of the Who," this was the finest collection of their early material to be found. However, the latter CD is by far more comprehensive and complete (not to mention chronologically correct) so, for the proto-prog newbie that is just discovering the wonders of the Who, I recommend getting that one instead of "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy" (unless one wants to spring for the box set of "30 years of Maximum R&B").

The only songs on here that aren't on the '96 MCA release are "The Kids are Alright" and "A Legal Matter" (both respectable ditties) but the inclusion of much of the band's stronger material from "Who's Next," "Quadrophenia" and their later albums more than makes up for their being left off.

Send comments to Chicapah (BETA) | Report this review (#168235) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, April 20, 2008

Review by Conor Fynes
4 stars 'Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy' - The Who (Compilation)

'Meaty, Beaty, Big And Bouncy' was the first Who record I ever purchased. I was already a fan of the band's music, having listened to alot of their songs on the radio. Being that I was a relatively new fan to The Who when I got this, my appreciation for this compilation might be a good bit greater then others who are more into 'The Who.'

Being that this is the band's early British Invasion-styled rock, there is no prog to be had here, but in this case, that's okay. Some of the best music that came out of the British Invasion can be found on this disc, and alot of Who classics.

This is a CD I listened to a great deal when I first got it, but less and less when I started getting actual Who records. The compilation started to be stripped of it's purpose. Now that I've become a fan and own the material on this record, on other CDs and in their proper context, 'Meaty, Beaty, Big And Bouncy' can consider itself obsolete. However, it's a great selection of songs from the band's earlier period, and besides, I have to give the CD credit if it was strong enough to convince me to buy the other CDs, right?

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#207239) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 15, 2009

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars This was a much needed compilation for Who fans that hadn't been around in the 60's to buy all of these non-album singles and had no way of having these tracks (since 45RPM singles were rarely reprinted) at home, even if this compilation also contained the singles "taken from the albums" as well. Nevertheless this made an excellent "60's greatest hits of The Who" and one that many fans played it through until the disc became transparent.

As such, for progheads, this album has no real interest in terms or "progyness", but it still remained for a while a very important Who album containing a few pearls like Substitute, Can't Explain, Happy Jack , the excellent Diddley-derived Magic Bus (which was a concert favourite for years). Unfortunately, MCA chose to go cheap on this compilation, probably not remastering the original recordings to fit 33RPM vinyls and the sound quality is not extra, either. I can't remember for sure whether this compilation was approved by the group itself or whether this was a management and record company stunt, but I think the group only moderately appreciated MBB&B, but it was surely something that most fans worldwide needed so despite the botched-up job, this compilation was one point for the industry and the fans.

Although I've seen this compilation in Cd format, this compilation lost probably most of its interest to the many other more recent Cd compilations or boxsets of the group, so most likely the utility of this album (besides a solid dose of nostalgia and it's relatively cool gatefold artwork) has been next to zero of late,

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#239473) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 15, 2009

3 stars Basically, a collection of early Who singles, some great, some not so much. It is a mixed bag of great rock anthems, and psychedlic-tinged pop songs. My favourites on here include mainly the classics such as My Generation, Pinball Wizzard, The Seeker and the very hilarious Substitute. I own k ... (read more)

Report this review (#170954) | Posted by burtonrulez | Wednesday, May 14, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE WHO "Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy"