KAYLEIGH

- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

7 Picture Disc UK: MARILP 3
Released 7th May 1985

Thanks to Mike_Zed for the addition

Buy MARILLION Kayleigh Music

More places to buy MARILLION music online Buy MARILLION & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MARILLION Kayleigh ratings distribution

MARILLION Kayleigh reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars The band kind of had a dud with the 12” version of this single. While “Kayleigh” was a great song and was one of the few Marillion singles to get radio play in the U.S. in the early eighties, neither of the versions on this album saw much air time as far as I know (even though I’m sure that’s what this release was meant for).

The first “Kayleigh” version has even more reverb and echo than the one on ‘Misplaced Childhood’, and there’s a weird second vocal track of Fish sort of accompanying himself that sounds at times like an echo, and at other times like someone who is trying to sing along but doesn’t quite have the timing down. The second version is a bit better as most of the weird studio effects are left off (except those the band was accustomed to including even on their studio albums), and Steve Rothery extends his guitar solo in the middle just a bit which turns out well. Not enough to qualify as a substantially different mix, but a different one nonetheless.

“Lady Nina” on the b-side is a slightly extended version, but from what I’m not sure since the only other places I’ve seen this song is on ‘B-sides Themselves’ and some of the band’s remastered eighties albums. The lyrics would have fit better with ‘Fugazi’ than ‘Misplaced Childhood’ in my opinion, and I’ve never found this to be among the band’s better tracks.

Marillion could have done a much better job of exploiting the success of “Kayleigh” than they did with this extended single as far as I’m concerned. Maybe backed it with “Childhood End” or “Bitter Suite” – now that would have made for a great single. As it is I have to say that this one is definitely for collectors only; if you have to have these mixes, I’m pretty sure they’re on the remastered album. Two stars.

peace

Review by Gatot
3 stars The vynyl of this single was released after we had been listening to two Marillion studio albums Script for A Jester Tear and Fugazi plus one live work Real to Reel. Again, a friend of us in Dodrecht, Netherland send the vynyl to us in Bandung. So, we were very curious about how the music would be consistent with the previous two studio albums or not. It surprised me that Marillion started going disco with Lady Nina because it's not usual music of Marillion. Our disappointment went worsen with the experience playing Kayleigh that did not sound rockin'. It's quite good but too poppy for Marillion.

We started worrying that the next album by Marillion would go totally pop. Only later I knew that when the Misplaced Childhood full album was released I found that the album version of Kayleigh is much better because it has longer guitar solo, unlike the single version. Lucky also that the third full album was not totally pop and it fact it was a great concept album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

3 stars "Neo-prog 'guilty pleasure'?" 1. Kayleigh (03:33) Between the albums Fugazi (1984) and Misplaced Childhood (1985) EMI and Marillion negociated about the music: the band wanted to make a concept album, EMI was OK but on the conditio ... (read more)

Report this review (#1914632) | Posted by TenYearsAfter | Sunday, April 15, 2018 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARILLION "Kayleigh"