KAYLEIGH

- Steve Rothery / guitars
- Pete Trewavas / basses

7 Picture Disc UK: MARILP 3
Release date: May 7, 1985

Thanks to Mike_Zed for the addition
and to projeKct for the last updates

Buy MARILLION Kayleigh Music

More places to buy MARILLION music online

MARILLION Kayleigh ratings distribution

MARILLION Kayleigh reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
2 stars The band kind of had a dud with the 12” version of this single. While “Kayleigh” was a great song and was one of the few Marillion singles to get radio play in the U.S. in the early eighties, neither of the versions on this album saw much air time as far as I know (even though I’m sure that’s what this release was meant for).

The first “Kayleigh” version has even more reverb and echo than the one on ‘Misplaced Childhood’, and there’s a weird second vocal track of Fish sort of accompanying himself that sounds at times like an echo, and at other times like someone who is trying to sing along but doesn’t quite have the timing down. The second version is a bit better as most of the weird studio effects are left off (except those the band was accustomed to including even on their studio albums), and Steve Rothery extends his guitar solo in the middle just a bit which turns out well. Not enough to qualify as a substantially different mix, but a different one nonetheless.

“Lady Nina” on the b-side is a slightly extended version, but from what I’m not sure since the only other places I’ve seen this song is on ‘B-sides Themselves’ and some of the band’s remastered eighties albums. The lyrics would have fit better with ‘Fugazi’ than ‘Misplaced Childhood’ in my opinion, and I’ve never found this to be among the band’s better tracks.

Marillion could have done a much better job of exploiting the success of “Kayleigh” than they did with this extended single as far as I’m concerned. Maybe backed it with “Childhood End” or “Bitter Suite” – now that would have made for a great single. As it is I have to say that this one is definitely for collectors only; if you have to have these mixes, I’m pretty sure they’re on the remastered album. Two stars.

peace

Review by Gatot
3 stars The vynyl of this single was released after we had been listening to two Marillion studio albums Script for A Jester Tear and Fugazi plus one live work Real to Reel. Again, a friend of us in Dodrecht, Netherland send the vynyl to us in Bandung. So, we were very curious about how the music would be consistent with the previous two studio albums or not. It surprised me that Marillion started going disco with Lady Nina because it's not usual music of Marillion. Our disappointment went worsen with the experience playing Kayleigh that did not sound rockin'. It's quite good but too poppy for Marillion.

We started worrying that the next album by Marillion would go totally pop. Only later I knew that when the Misplaced Childhood full album was released I found that the album version of Kayleigh is much better because it has longer guitar solo, unlike the single version. Lucky also that the third full album was not totally pop and it fact it was a great concept album. Keep on proggin' ..!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Review by Matti
4 stars Time for a nostalgic trip, to the new year's night 1985/86. I'm 15 years old. Influenced by the vinyl collections of my big brother and sister (with a special interest for the early 80's albums by Saga, Asia, Yes, Jon Anderson, Mike Oldfield and Rush), I have been a music listener for a couple of years, but instead of having my own vinyls I only have a heap of home taped cassettes at this point. One of my favourite bands is Dire Straits. On the new year's night, there's an outdoor rock concert on the TV, with various artists. Then comes this unknown band whose vocalist has red paint on his cheek. The song that especially catches my attention contains lyrics with several lines beginning with "Do you remember". Sounds good, I want to know this band better! What was the name, Marillion?

And so, the following spring I finally start to buy vinyls, and the first one is Fugazi by this new-found band. I talked my friend over to get Misplaced Childhood. For the next couple of years I'm a *fan* the way I've never been ever since. Of course my "Marillionism" wore out because I always prefer to keep finding new stuff, new bands. But finding Marillion eventually helped me to find the whole progressive rock genre of which I already had had a more pop-oriented taste from my bro's & sis's vinyls without being aware of such thing as progressive rock. Soon I fell in love with the classic 70's albums by Genesis, Yes, Camel, Renaissance, etc. No doubt, sooner or later it would have happened without Marillion as well, but nevertheless Marillion -- and 'Kayleigh' in particular -- has a special place in my early listening history.

To counterbalance my personal memories, here's some information: 'Kayleigh' (from Misplaced Childhood concept album) was Marillion's most successful single in the UK, where it peaked at number-two and stayed on the chart for a total of 14 weeks. It also became the band's most successful single worldwide, reaching the top 10 in the Republic of Ireland, Norway and France, reached no. 1 in Poland, and became the band's sole appearance on the United States Billboard Hot 100, hitting number 74 in October 1985. The song popularised the name Kayleigh in the UK.

The B side of the single is 'Lady Nina', a pretty lightweight song for a prostitute. As a Marillionist I did buy several singles and maxi-singles too, but 'Lady Nina' became familiar to me from B'Sides Themselves compilation LP. I always appreciate it when a band (or artist in general) makes non-album B-siders, even when the song in question isn't so spectacular. Marillion were a good example of such band. 'Lady Nina' is best described as nice and harmless.

3 stars "Neo-prog 'guilty pleasure'?" 1. Kayleigh (03:33) Between the albums Fugazi (1984) and Misplaced Childhood (1985) EMI and Marillion negociated about the music: the band wanted to make a concept album, EMI was OK but on the conditio ... (read more)

Report this review (#1914632) | Posted by TenYearsAfter | Sunday, April 15, 2018 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MARILLION "Kayleigh"

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.