TRIAL BY FIRE

Journey Trial By Fire album cover

Collectors/fans only

Buy JOURNEY Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Message Of Love (5:34)
2. One More (5:28)
3. When You Love A Woman (4:07)
4. If He Should Break Your Heart (4:23)
5. Forever In Blue (3:35)
6. Castles Burning (6:00)
7. Don't Be Down On Me Baby (4:01)
8. Still She Cries (5:04)
9. Colors Of The Spirit (5:41)
10. When I Think Of You (4:21)
11. Easy To Fall (5:15)
12. Can't Tame The Lion (4:32)
13. Trial By Fire (4:41)
14. Baby I'm Leaving You (2:49) (hidden track)

15. I Can See It In Your Eyes (4:12) (Japanese-only bonus track on the original CD release, later added to the 2006 CD reissue)

Search JOURNEY Trial By Fire lyrics

Ross Valory - bass, vocals, producer

Columbia Records
COL 485264 2
CK 67514

Thanks to Ricochet for the addition
and to Easy livin for the last updates

JOURNEY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JOURNEY Trial By Fire Music

InfinityInfinity
SBME SPECIAL MKTS. 2006
JourneyJourney
SBME SPECIAL MKTS. 1990
JOURNEY LOOK INTO THE FUTURE RECORD LP VINYL LONG PLAYER USED US $6.63 Buy It Now 30m 33s
Journey Escape LP VG++ 1981 BL37408 US $12.95 Buy It Now 37m 30s
Journey into the Morn by Iona (Scotland) (CD, Feb-1996, Chordant) -- NEW US $9.00 Buy It Now 38m 56s
Journey Arrival US $0.95 [0 bids]
39m 29s
CLYDE McCOY - Sentimental Journey - Ex Con LP Record US $14.94 Buy It Now 44m 51s
LLEWELLYN (NEW AGE) - REIKI HEALING JOURNEY, VOL.1 - NEW CD US $10.26 Buy It Now 48m 26s
Journey - Escape Lp Half Speed Master Audiophile Pressing Classic Rock US $14.99 Buy It Now 52m 2s
Kim Waters - Peaceful Journey [CD New] US $11.83 Buy It Now 1h
RICK WAKEFIELD LP, Journey To Center of The Earth/ 1974, Royal Festival Hall US $9.95 [0 bids]
Donna Summer 45 Hot Stuff / Journey To The Centre Of Your Heart Vinyl Record US $2.84 Buy It Now 1h 5m
SALSOUL ORCHESTRA, The - Magic Journey - CD US $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 6m
JOURNEY - Greatest Hits Live - 1998 - CD -CK 69139 - UPC 0 7464-69139-2 5 US $2.99 [0 bids]
I on U by Neal Schon (CD, Feb-2005) Rare Solo Journey Guitarist Album! US $11.95 Buy It Now 1h 15m
ROBIN WILLIAMSON - JOURNEY'S EDGE (1977, LP, FF033) NM Original Vinyl US $13.99 Buy It Now 1h 24m
Classical Journey: Baroque Highlights (CD Album, Jul-2000, Music Digital) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Stevie Wonder ?- Stevie Wonder's Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 27m
@ CD Journey - Escape AOR / SONY MUSIC 1996 REMASTER STEVE PERRY NEAL SCHON US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Lot of 2 Steve Perry (Lead Singer for Journey) CD's including his biggest hits.! US $0.99 [0 bids]
Journey When You Love A Woman Cassette Single US $5.99 [1 bids]
REGINALD DIXON - Sentimental Journey - Excellent Con LP Record One-Up OU 2218 US $13.28 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Journey LP Columbia Records,1981, KC2- 37016, Captured ~ W/Poster! ~ NM- ! US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 46m
CD: LOVE IS A JOURNEY REFLECTIONS ON MARRIAGE LDS/MORMON US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 48m
JOURNEY FRONTIERS EXCELLENT SOLID ORIGINAL 1983 COLUMBIA LP US $3.96 [0 bids]
CECILIO & KAPONO - JOURNEY THROUGH YEARS - NEW CD US $10.51 Buy It Now 1h 52m
Long Journey Home soundtrack 1998 Unisphere CD Buy 1 CD Get one free US $6.50 Buy It Now 1h 57m
neil young 2lp journey through the past 2xs6480 vg+/m- US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Enchanted Journey - Music for Relaxation CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
Global Journey - Chill Out: Tibet [CD New] US $13.86 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Cecilio & Kapono - Journey Through The Years [CD New] US $13.52 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Sharon Isbin - Journey To The Amazon [CD New] US $13.29 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Neale Donald Walsch - Journey [CD New] US $12.76 Buy It Now 2h 4m
JOURNEY "TIME" 1992 COLUMBIA CD 3 CD SET US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Keep Of Kalessin - Agnen : Journey Through The Dark [Vinyl New] US $25.48 Buy It Now 2h 4m
CECILIO & KAPONO - JOURNEY CONTINUES [CECILIO & KAPONO] - NEW CD US $10.97 Buy It Now 2h 4m
DONNA SUMMER (VOCALI - THE JOURNEY: THE VERY BEST OF DONNA SUMMER - NEW CD US $9.81 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Specimen - Returning From A Journey US orig' DJ title sleeve 12" 1983 US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Benny Carter; Dizzy Gillespie; - Journey To Next (NEW CD) US $19.51 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Greatest Hits Volume 2, Journey, New US $11.50 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Journey's Greatest Hits Vol 2 - Journey US $8.27 Buy It Now 2h 16m
The Journey So Far: The Best of Loreena McKennitt (Vinyl-2013) New US $31.95 Buy It Now 2h 18m
ALAN STIVELL "Journey a la Maison" Rounder USA 1981 Vinyl LP NM US $0.99 [0 bids]
Avalon Artists-Tuscany: A Romantic Journey CD NEW US $16.26 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Britten, Mark-Britten, Mark - Celtic Journey CD NEW US $15.15 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Heavy D. and the boyz Peaceful Journey MCA Jupiter 1992 US $23.99 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Journey - Frontiers - 1980's Rock - Separate Ways - NM - 12" Vinyl LP Record US $8.99 Buy It Now 2h 36m
WINTER'S JOURNEY Pan Flutist Brad White and Pianist Pierre Grill - the CD, 1994! US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 39m
A Celtic Journey by Laura Powers (CD, Jul-2004, Red Harp Records) US $7.50 Buy It Now 2h 40m
JOURNEY CAPTURED 2 DISC COLUMBIA 1981 US $6.99 Buy It Now 2h 40m
JOURNEY frontiers LP 10 track with inner and limited poster but has creasing to US $8.29 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Journey by Potsch Potschka (CD Album, May-1999, Earthtone) US $2.99 [0 bids]
JOURNEY frontiers LP 10 track with inner but has wear to bottom edge of sleeve ( US $8.29 Buy It Now 2h 44m
JOY AND JENNIFER WITH SINGAROUND 2 a journey around the world in song LP 17 US $8.53 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Journey To The Fore - Peace Of Mind (CHR) ... US $3.99 [0 bids]
JOY AND JENNIFER WITH SINGAROUND 2 a journey around the world in song LP 17 trac US $8.29 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Classical Journey: Russia Volume 7 (CD, Aug-1991, Laserlight) US $7.98 Buy It Now 2h 46m
STEVE PERRY (Journey) For the Love of Strange Medicine 1994 Solo CD US $3.99 [0 bids]
Classical Journey: Germany Volume 9 (CD, Aug-1991, Laserlight) US $4.98 Buy It Now 2h 55m
Mike Mainieri - Journey Thru An Electric Tube - Soul/Funk/Jazz/Psych SS 18049 US $18.95 [0 bids]
NEKTAR-Journey To The Centre Of The Eye-'71 British Prog Psych-new LP US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h
THE JOURNEY cd Simeon Wood and John Gerighty 1994 EAGLE Guildford RARE OOP NICE US $17.08 Buy It Now 3h
Renee Bondi - Strength For The Journey [CD New] US $17.32 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Perfect Giddimani - Journey Of 1000 Miles [CD New] US $12.55 Buy It Now 3h 9m
VG++ RICK WAKEMAN Journey To The Centere Of The Earth A&M SP-3621 LP GATEFOLD US $7.90 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Lot Of 3 STEVE PERRY ~ JOURNEY ~ KENNY LOGGINS 45 RPM Vinyl Records ~ 6.5 - 7" US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Journey 'Faithfully' Japanese 7" Vinyl US $3.31 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Glee: The Music - Journey to Regionals, Glee Cast, New EP US $8.01 Buy It Now 3h 28m
ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK/ - METAL: A HEADBANGER'S JOURNEY [PA] - NEW CD US $11.29 Buy It Now 3h 30m
STEVE PERRY (JOURNEY - FOR THE LOVE OF STRANGE MEDICINE - NEW CD US $5.87 Buy It Now 3h 31m
DOC SEVERINSEN NIGHT JOURNEY ORIGINAL 1976 LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Journey - Departure lp on Columbia AL 36339 with original inner sleeve US $3.99 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Journey Separate Ways / Frontiers Canada 45 near mint US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 35m
Journey Greatest Hits Vol 2 Limited Remastered 180gram Audiophile 2LP Set US $44.45 Buy It Now 3h 42m
JOURNEY Who's Crying Now 3 Track UK 12" Vinyl 45! US $4.97 [0 bids]
LP FACTORY SEALED! Jules Verne JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH Tom Baker US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 49m
MARTHA BASS: It's Another Day's Journey LP (WLP, punch hole, sm tag/rubber stam US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 50m
UK import CASTANARC Journey to the East LP Peninsula 1984 PENDRAGON Pallas US $49.98 Buy It Now 3h 51m
JEAN-LUC PONTY: Imaginary Journey (rock & pop LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 3h 54m
JOURNEY "In The Beginning" 1975-77 - EX Columbia 2 Lp Set C2 36324 US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 58m
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey (1991 CD, Burzum, Immortal, Emperor) US $99.99 Buy It Now 4h
VISION QUEST-OST 1985 GEFFEN RECORDS LP GHS 24063 JOURNEY, DIO, MADONNA EXC. VG+ US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h
Journey, Infinity, 180g 33rpm Sealed Vinyl LP. US $56.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
JOURNEY "Look Behind - Best of" 1982 CBS Lp Pressed in Holland US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
JOURNEY captured 2 LP VG+ KC2 37016 Vinyl 1981 Record US $14.40 Buy It Now 4h 16m
O'Neill Brothers, The Journey Audio CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 16m
Raised On Radio - Journey (Cassette 1986, Columbia) in NM US $7.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Lot of 3 Journey CD's Box 26 US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Sounds of Blackness - Africa to America - Journey of the Drum CD US $2.49 Buy It Now 4h 20m
LES BROWN - SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY WITH LES BROWN - NEW CD US $8.85 Buy It Now 4h 29m
STAN KENTON journey to capricorn LP VG+ ST 1077 Stan Ricker JVC Mastered 1976 US $11.00 Buy It Now 4h 30m
AMBOY DUKES: Journey To The Center Of The Mind / Mississippi Murderer US $20.00 Buy It Now 4h 31m
JOURNEY GREATEST HITS 15 TRACK + BONUS BEST OF NEW CD US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 34m
Hugo - Fire in the Night (Valentine,Open Skyz,Journey,Work of Art,Harem Scarem) US $15.00 [0 bids]
Sentimental Journey, Doris Day, Very Good US $1.65 Buy It Now 4h 35m
As Time Goes By... A Sentimental Journey, Various Artists, Good US $4.52 Buy It Now 4h 48m
TOTO Tambu Rare 4 Trk UK CD + Tour Dates! Journey Reo Speedwagon Foreigner Heart US $4.97 [2 bids]
For the Love of Strange Medicine by Steve Perry (Journey) (CD, Jul-1994,... US $0.99 [0 bids]
Captured: Live by Journey (Rock) *MINT* (CD, COLUMBIA LEGACY REMASTER MINT US $4.30 [0 bids]
Escape by Journey [LP] 1981 Columbia Records ORIGINAL Great Condition US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
Drew Davidsen - This Journey [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 5h 10m
Biddu - Futuristic Journey/Eastern Man [CD New] US $24.81 Buy It Now 5h 11m

More places to buy JOURNEY music online Buy JOURNEY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JOURNEY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JOURNEY Trial By Fire ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(2%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(13%)

JOURNEY Trial By Fire reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars After their "Frontiers" album and tour, Journey took some time to rest as a band. Steve Perry recorded a very commercial mellow album called "Street Talk" (1984) which included the very mellow ballad called "Sherrie", which also has one of the worst video clips I have seen. I listened to "Street Talk" when a female friend lent me that album for a brief time in 1985. I didn`t like it so I never bought it.

By 1986, there was a new album by Journey called "Raised on Radio", and by that time the band only had three members (Perry, Schon and Cain, the main songwriters) with Steve Smith and Ross Valory being fired before the album was recorded. I only listened to a song from that album called "Be Good to Yourself" in a FM Radio station in my city, a song which I didn`t like very much, sounding for me as very similar to the songs from Perry`s "Street Talk" album. I never bought "Raised on Radio", and I forgot to play Journey`s music for several years.

By 1989, Schon and Cain had another band called "Bad English" with lead singer John Waite. They recorded two albums which were not as successful as the albums they recorded with Journey. I watched on TV to two of their video clips, and for me that band was just another commercial Arena Rock band whose style was similar to Journey`s in some parts but with another lead singer. I never bought their albums.

Then, in late 1996, this album titled "Trial by Fire" was released. I remember being in a record shop buying another CD and when I paid for that CD I received in the bag an ad announcing the release of "the new album recorded by the classic line-up of Journey". I didn`t buy it then, not being interested very much in Journey`s music since the mid eighties.

In mid 1998 I went to a record shop which had at low prices several CDs released by Sony / Columbia. One of them was Steve Perry`s second solo album titled "For the Love of Strange Medicine" (1994). I bought it and I liked it a lot. That album is much better than "Street Talk", in my opinion.

By late 1998, I went again to the same record shop which again had those Sony / Columbia low priced CDs and cassettes. I didn`t find the CD version of "Trial by Fire", but I bought the cassette version instead.

"Trial by Fire" is a good album, but it seems to me that by 1996 Journey was reforming to try to repeat their old formula of Hits in an album with some sugar ballads and some heavy rock songs. I have to say that I still like some of the songs ("Message of Love", "One More", "It`s Just Rain"). But even in the songs I liked I could find similarities with old songs like "Separate Ways" (in the case of "Message of Love" and "One More"). There are other songs with a lot of influence from old ballads composed by them, and also with some influences from Steve Perry`s "Street Talk" album ("When You Love a Woman", "If He Should Break Your Heart"). The only ballad that I really like a lot is "It`s Just Rain". The rest of the songs are not as interesting for my taste. The band also had the help of a songwriter which was not part of the band (John Bettis, who I think that he wrote some songs for "Street Talk" with Perry) in a few songs. So, for me this album sounds more like they were really working hard to try to capture in a new album their old sound but with a lot of not very interesting songs.

I have to say that I prefer Steve Perry`s second solo album more than this "Trial by Fire" album. It is much better that "Trial by Fire" and much less commercial than "Street Talk".

After this album was released, Perry had some health problems which prevented the band to tour again. Perry needed a hip surgery, but he kept the band waiting for two years before he was given an ultimatum by Cain and Schon and he finally was fired in 1998. He finally went to that surgery after he left Journey, and the band carried on with other lead singers which despite being very good couldn`t repeat the success of Journey with Perry. Steve Smith also left the band after Perry was fired not seeing a future for the band without Perry.

This album was very successful in the Hit Parade charts, but...I don`t like it very much in comparison to their "Escape" and "Frontiers" albums.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#183346) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Review by Prog Leviathan
3 stars Despite the proliferation of sappy-ballads, Trial By Fire remains for me a fun listen when I am in the mood for Journey's signature brand of saccharine rock.

Specifically, the songwriting and mood clicks here better than most of their other albums, which are very song-oriented and formulaic in their delivery. All of the songs are longer than their older hits, giving the musicians more time to experiment with solos and instrumental passages, which they thankfully do quite well. Message of Love and One More are energetic openers in the vein of Separate Ways, with big melodies and Schon's guitar sounding aggressive and sharp. Can't Time the Lion is especially enjoyable, since it possess a style and sound different than anything they've done before.

Perry's vocals are thankfully much smoother and easier on the ears than in the past, but some of the ballads are terrible. Don't Be Down on Me Baby and When I Think of You are worthless, plodding, sentimental yuck, reminiscent of his solo offerings. Fortunately, there are some classy vocals here as well-- nothing so big and pompous as Faithfully/Open Arms (which is good, in my book). Still She Cries, It's Just the Rain, and Trial By Fire are all good examples, with reserved deliveries by Perry and very cool, smooth guitar playing from Schon.

So, I'll stick my neck out here and say that Trial By Fire is actually one of the band's better albums; it is more reserved, stylistic, and artistic than their packaged-to-sell albums from the '80's. Prog fans who enjoy the campiness of Journey may actually find themselves appreciating the musicianship in this one (and one can always just delete the lame ballads from their iPod).

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 3 Style/Emotion/Replay: 3

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#204299) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Ten years were a quite sufficient break to sit back and wait for an unexpected great and new musical orientation.

"Message Of Love" is maybe one of their best ever song from "Journey" (if you would expect some of their great seventies tracks): excellent beat and catchy melody. Of course, this has nothing to do with their earlier albums, but at least, such a straight forward rock song is holding the key.

The ballad rhythm is not fully enjoyable while listening to the dull and conventional rock ballad "When You Love A Woman". To have been waitng for about ten years to release such a weak affair is not really meeting expectations. Still, I have to say and confess that this "Trial?" is the best of their material since Perry came on board (which was not a difficult matter).

This album is more rock oriented than its predecessors and most of their AOR stuff is just an awful remembrance from the past. The heavy " Castless Burning" is one of the highlights: such a big rhythm and fantastic beat! THE highlight of this album.

I have never been able to endorse the Perry entrance in this band. Few to none were the songs I could tolerated before this "reunion" work. But when I listen to such a miserable tune as "Colors Of The Spirit", I can only come back to earth and acknowledge that most of the weak achievements were not only a thing from the past.

The dull "When I Think Of You" or "Easy To Fall" are just another confirmation of the weakness of this album. Avoidable rock ballads with no feel. The best you can do is to avoid these type of songs.

I have been quite harsh with my "Journey" reviews. Accordingly. I have to recognize that "Trial By Fire" is better than their earlier stuff. Some of their earlier blunders are still back again under the form of the weak rock ballads like "Don't Be Down On Me Baby", "Still She Cries" or "It's Just A Rain".

The passable title track can justify the two stars rating. Some sort of innovation in terms of Perry appearances as far as I'm concerned even if the dreadful reaggae "Baby I'm Leaving You" is quite dispensable.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#249101) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 08, 2009

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars One more, then baby I'm leaving you

Journey do not have a classic line up as such. For some, the earliest albums are the only ones which earn credibility for the band, and it is hard to argue against the requirement that co-founder Greg Rolie and early drummer Aynsey Dunbar be included in any attempt to define a classic line up. That said, it must also be recognised that the bands biggest selling albums ("Escape" and "Frontiers") were recorded by the line up of Perry, Schon, Cain, Valory, Smith.

It is that quintet which reconvened in 1996 to record this album, the band having appeared to call it a day some 10 years earlier. The healing of wounds was all the more remarkable given that Valory and Smith had been unceremoniously sacked prior to the recording of "Raised on radio".

As had become the norm on the mid-1980's albums, the trio of Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain and Steve Perry monopolise the song writing, with only minor variations in the credits for a couple of the songs. Noted lyricist John Bettis (who also wrote for The Carpenters, Madonna, and Whitney Houston among many others) helps out on a couple of tracks. With no less than 15 tracks including the closing hidden track and a running time of over 70 minutes, this is by far the meatiest Journey release, and effectively a double album when compared to those from the LP years.

The main benefit of the CD age for this and albums such as this is that the extra space available allows the band to develop the tracks more fully. Thus the tracks here are generally slightly longer than they might have been 10-20 years previously. With running times of 4-6 minutes, the songs remain tight and focused, but Neal Schon is able to slip in more in the way of lead guitar breaks overall.

The opening "Message to love" reassures us that the band have lost none of their energy, this up-tempo rock number being as powerful and punchy as anything which has gone before. As we would expect, the album has the usual mix of such songs and smoochy ballads. What there also are though is a selection of mid-tempo rock anthems, namely "One more", "Still she cries", "It's just the rain" and the title track. It is these songs which are arguably the ones which distinguish the album and which are for me the best of the bunch. Indeed, the closing pairing of "It's just the rain" and "Trial by fire" make for a combined 10 minutes of classic Journey at their absolute best.

The piano led weepy "When you love a woman" is very much a vehicle for Perry's wonderful tones. Inevitability, it secured further singles chart success and a Grammy nomination for the band, but for me it is inferior to similar tracks on previous albums. Likewise, "When I think of you" with its "Magic moments" intro is a bit too drippy.

"Castle's burning" is by far the heaviest track the band have recorded, ever. With a running time of around 6 minutes, it is also the longest of the Perry age. The album actually closes with a hidden track called "Baby I'm leaving you", but this cod-reggae episode is not quite hidden enough!

In all, this is pretty much the perfect Journey album in terms of their AOR years. The song writing is spot on, the arrangements allow the songs to develop well, Steve Perry's voice never sounded better, and the instrumental performances are top notch. Forget the negative spin of the anti-Perry-era brigade, this is a wonderful album.

The cover illustration is superb, the fold-out lyric sheet reflecting the biblical references which abound through the album.

"Trial by fire" would prove to be something of a one off reunion, Steve Perry leaving the band again, apparently through injury but this time permanently, during planning for a subsequent tour to promote the album.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#434146) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Return

Trial By Fire was Journey's first album in ten years and the last one ever to feature the distinctive lead vocals of Steve Perry. I think it is fair to say that this album was a return to form of sorts, but it is debatable if Journey had much of a form to return to! What I mean is that Trial By Fire was undoubtedly the best Journey album since the band's "golden" period in the late 70's and early 80's, but saying this is not saying much, if you ask me. Even adding that this is one of Journey's better albums overall does not even involve much praise in itself. Still, Trial By Fire is a decent album on its own merits and one that even might hold some interest for at least some visitors to the parts.

There are several good songs here, though not a single great one. Unfortunately, there are also some not so good songs that bring the album down. The total running time is much too long for the album's good. It would have been very easy for the band to make a much more coherent, consistent and enjoyable album by just removing the lesser tracks from the track list. But I suppose that the compact disc offered a strong temptation to put this much music out at once, but this material would have benefitted considerably from being limited to the length of a single vinyl LP, say around 35 to 40 minutes or so.

The first two tracks are quite promising, especially One More which reminds of John Payne- era Asia. Message Of Love and When You Love A Woman have lyrics that are hard for me to accept. I really don't like such explicit and standard love songs lyrically speaking, but musically these two songs are quite alright. The next track worthy of mention is Castles Burning which starts out as a rather generic heavy Blues rocker but eventually develops nicely into something that reminds me of the Neo-Prog band Pallas toward the end of it!

Many of the songs are very typical Journey tunes of varying quality and I will not mention them all explicitly, I mention only those that stand out for me for one reason or another. There is a considerable amount of songs in the middle of the album that just pass me by without leaving any particular impressions. Colours Of The Spirit is an exception here as it features some interesting World-Music sounds, but it does unfortunately not develop into anything particularly interesting. It is not until Can't Tame The Lion that the album once again becomes interesting to me. This is a good song with a strong melody and great vocals. Another two good songs follow in It's Just The Rain and Trial By Fire and these would have ended the album in a reasonably strong fashion if it wasn't for the awful "hidden" track that closes the disc.

To sum up. There are just too many fillers here that add nothing of value to the album for this to be a good album. It does, however, have its moments and is indeed a very worthy addition to the collections of Journey fans. But beyond those fans, it has very limited interest.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#440511) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 29, 2011

Review by stefro
2 stars After a ten-year gap Journey's classic 1980s line-up reconvened to produce this highly-anticipated 'comeback' album, the seeds of discontent sown by vocalist Steve Perry's 1987 defection seemingly buried deep in the past. With Perry augmented by Neal Schon(guitar, vocals), Ross Valory(bass), Jonathan Cain(keyboards, vocals) and Steve Smith(drums), 'Trial By Fire' is very much an attempt to repeat former glories, though sadly and like many returning heroes the fact remains that Journey's time has very much been-and-gone. You have to go way back to 1981 to find the last worthwhile Journey album and that - 'Escape' - was a stone-cold classic, branded by many as the pinnacle of the AOR genre. Follow-up efforts 'Frontiers'(1983) and 'Raised On Radio'(1986) proved popular amongst fans yet were very much products of their time, now sounding even more dated than the group's mainly excellent 1970s material and sorely lacking the creative input of original keyboardist Gregg Rolie. His replacement, former Baby's member Cain, initially proved to be an inspired choice, his commercial nous, melodic instincts and canny ability to produce catchy and emotive hooks the main creative power behind the enormous and long-lasting success of 'Escape'. However, his influence proved to be short-lived. And like both 'Frontiers' and 'Raised On Radio', 1996's 'Trial By Fire' proved to be something of a damp squid. The real problem is that Journey in their heyday were perfectly suited to the musical environment around them. They practically invented soft-rock, a style that has no place in the grunge-dominated 1990s, and here their music sounds forced and formulaic. The ballads prove dull and mawkish, the rockier numbers horribly over-produced, a slick sheen of sentimentality glazing the brittle riffs. The misty, slow-burning 'Colours Of The Spirit' and the semi-muscular arena rock of the title-track aside, 'Trial By Fire' proves somewhat disappointingly that the good times will stay where they belong: in the past. Journey were a great, great band in their pomp, their first three albums - 'Journey'(1975), 'Look Into The Future'(1976), 'Next'(1977) - and the likes of 'Infinity'(1978), 'Departure'(1979), 'Dream After Dream'(1980) and 'Escape' testament to their enduring appeal. Sadly, the undemanding 'Trial By Fire' fails to ignite in the same way.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#710204) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 05, 2012

1 stars This is Journey's last album with Steve Perry handling the lead vocals. It was released in grunge-era 1996, and the band seemed to be attempting to shed its 80s Arena Rock stigma. The band built its success on uplifting energetic melodic Rock and anthemic ballads-- but they apparently decided ... (read more)

Report this review (#434125) | Posted by altaeria | Friday, April 15, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JOURNEY "Trial By Fire"