TRIAL BY FIRE

Journey Trial By Fire album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy JOURNEY Music
Studio Album, released in 1996

1. Message Of Love (5:34)
2. One More (5:28)
3. When You Love A Woman (4:07)
4. If He Should Break Your Heart (4:23)
5. Forever In Blue (3:35)
6. Castles Burning (6:00)
7. Don't Be Down On Me Baby (4:01)
8. Still She Cries (5:04)
9. Colors Of The Spirit (5:41)
10. When I Think Of You (4:21)
11. Easy To Fall (5:15)
12. Can't Tame The Lion (4:32)
13. Trial By Fire (4:41)
14. Baby I'm Leaving You (2:49) (hidden track)

15. I Can See It In Your Eyes (4:12) (Japanese-only bonus track on the original CD release, later added to the 2006 CD reissue)

Search JOURNEY Trial By Fire lyrics

Ross Valory - bass, vocals, producer

Columbia Records
COL 485264 2
CK 67514

Thanks to Ricochet for the addition
and to Easy livin for the last updates

JOURNEY MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy JOURNEY Trial By Fire Music

SBME SPECIAL MKTS. 2006
The Essential JourneyThe Essential Journey
Limited Edition · Remastered
Sony 2001
Trial by Fire [EXTRA TRACKS] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]Trial by Fire [EXTRA TRACKS] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]
Remastered
SonyBMG Special Markets 1996
Raised on Radio [Extra tracks][Original recording remastered]Raised on Radio [Extra tracks][Original recording remastered]
SONY MUSIC SPECIAL PRODUCTS 2006
DepartureDeparture
Remastered
SonyBMG Special Markets 1996
EclipseEclipse
Nomota
Jim Winder - Hard But Right Way-A Pilgrims Journey [CD New] US $19.34 Buy It Now 29m 48s
Kitaro - Vol. 4-Sacred Journey Of Ku-Kai [Vinyl New] US $39.68 Buy It Now 30m 40s
LEGEND - THE JOURNEY * 1987 Rare New York House Jam * LISTEN US $9.99 Buy It Now 32m 14s
Global Journey - Ideal French Dinner Party [CD New] US $11.78 Buy It Now 37m 45s
Global Journey - Chill Out: Heavens [CD New] US $11.29 Buy It Now 37m 45s
Les & His Band Of Renown Brown - Sentimental Journey [CD New] US $16.65 Buy It Now 37m 50s
Williams Brothers - Journey Continues [CD New] US $16.98 Buy It Now 39m 1s
Ringo Starr - Sentimental Journey [CD New] US $9.78 Buy It Now 39m 30s
Journey Captured US $9.99 [0 bids]
39m 34s
Journey - Frontiers [CD New] US $6.00 Buy It Now 39m 46s
Sterman - Path To Peace-Music Inspired By The Inner Journey [CD New] US $17.54 Buy It Now 40m 36s
TED NUGENT RARE EPIC FREE FOR ALL & JOURNEY TO CENTERAMBOY DUKES Sealed 2 LP SET US $119.99 Buy It Now 43m 10s
NEKTAR JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EYE CD MINI LP OBI US $15.34 Buy It Now 48m 55s
Journey to the New World - Sharon Isbin New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $17.51 Buy It Now 49m 18s
Highland Journey Music In The Glen - Vol. 2-Highland Journey Music In T [CD New] US $16.10 Buy It Now 50m 3s
Mary J. Blige - My Life Ii The Journey Continues (Act 1) [CD New] US $13.99 Buy It Now 50m 38s
JOURNEY EVOLUTION VINTAGE RARE 8 TRACK TAPE TESTED LATE NITE BARGAIN! US $5.50 Buy It Now 51m 2s
Deanna Edwards Sharing The Gift Of Love A Musical Journey 4 Cassette Set SIGNED! US $2.99 [0 bids]
53m 58s
COLIN BLUNSTONE journey 1974 UK EPIC STEREO LP US $13.05 Buy It Now 54m 13s
MARCEL COENEN - COLOUR JOURNEY - NEW promo CD 2006 SEALED RARE HTF OOP US $10.00 [0 bids]
56m 42s
Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man [Music from the Mot... US $10.80 Buy It Now 59m 3s
Boston Third Stage Cassette Tape 1986 3rd AOR Arena Rock Kansas Styx Journey US $5.39 Buy It Now 1h
Craig Morgan - The Journey (Livin' Hits) - (PRE-ORDER NOW - Rel. Date 9/3/2013) US $10.34 Buy It Now 1h 7m
Journey Captured 2LP Vinyl US $5.00 [0 bids]
Sentimental Journey with Les Brown CD Best of Big Band Reader's Digest US $0.99 [0 bids]
JOURNEY Greatest Hits CD, 1996 Columbia, DIDP-071298, IFPI 7250, Remastered US $4.95 [0 bids]
"The Journey of Natty Gann" INTRADA LE! Sealed! US $64.95 Buy It Now 1h 14m
"SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY" LP LONGINES LWS-201 US $1.00 [0 bids]
JOURNEY 'FRONTIERS' - 1983 LP US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Journey - Greatest Hits Live CD US $2.29 [0 bids]
Himekami Journey to Zipangu CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 16m
MICHAEL CONWAY BAKER - HOPE'S JOURNEY: THE MUSIC OF MICHAEL CONWAY - NEW CD US $14.46 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Evolution by Journey (CD, 2006, Sony Music Distribution (USA)) Rock.**LIKE NEW** US $7.92 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Journey Evolution US $6.99 [0 bids]
Journey Columbia 45 Record #05493 EX Faithfully US $5.00 Buy It Now 1h 18m
ADIEMUS - JOURNEY: BEST OF ADIEMUS NEW CD US $18.46 Buy It Now 1h 19m
STEVE PERRY (JOURNEY) Street Talk 1984 CLASSIC ROCK LP NMINT- US $14.00 Buy It Now 1h 19m
BIG COUNTRY - JOURNEY NEW CD US $33.84 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Journey Through Love - Wedgwood Band New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $20.48 Buy It Now 1h 20m
Speaker Death PROMO LP 1981 RARE HTF OOP JUDAS PRIST OZZY BOC TED NUGENT JOURNEY US $10.00 [0 bids]
Journey Lp Escape US $7.89 [0 bids]
JOURNEY KARAOKE GREATEST HITS CDG CD+G AMS-4005 ($19.99) b1 US $12.19 Buy It Now 1h 26m
JOURNEY - COLLECTION OF 10 MIXED POSTCARDS # 1 US $8.14 [1 bids]
Journey's Greatest Hits (CD) US $3.59 Buy It Now 1h 30m
GLEN C. CAMPBELL - OBAMA THE JOURNEY NEW CD US $9.31 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Bart Claessen Signed 'Tiesto - Magikal Journey' CD L@@K MEGA RARE Armin PVD US $16.29 [0 bids]
Global Journey - Boann's Clan - Celtic Rhythms - CD - 2905R US $5.86 Buy It Now 1h 35m
BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY Megadeath TOM WAITS Slaughter PROMO CD SINGLE  US $3.54 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Third World - Journey To Addis [LP] (180 Gram, download, import) 2014 US $46.55 Buy It Now 1h 38m
Classical Journey: Baroque Highlights (CD Album, Jul-2000, Music Digital) US $6.99 [0 bids]
Milton Nascimento Journey to Dawn LP NM Vinyl US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 40m
Glee: The Music, Journey to Regionals [EP] by Glee (CD, Jun-2010, Columbia (USA) US $3.00 Buy It Now 1h 42m
LP Record Album - Rick Wakeman, Journey to the Centre of the Earth - in concert US $4.99 [0 bids]
LP Record Album, 2 LP's - The Lennon Sisters Sentimental Journey, 22 Golden Hits US $3.99 [0 bids]
Journey to the Sky, Bill Gaither & Gloria, Very Good US $6.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
Once For All by The Rick Webb Trio CD 1998 Journey Records US $5.50 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Various : Long Journey Home: The Irish in America CD (2004) US $3.25 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Essential Journey - Journey New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.72 Buy It Now 1h 49m
JOURNEY Look Into The Future ORIGINAL Vinyl 1976 ENGLAND MINT/MINT A1/B1 US $45.00 Buy It Now 1h 51m
Record Journey Escape US $9.99 [0 bids]
JOURNEY Only Solutions VG(+) 45 RPM US $0.10 [0 bids]
JOURNEY - ESCAPE (IMPORT) (LTD) NEW CD US $45.57 Buy It Now 1h 54m
JOURNEY**GREATEST HITS (180G/REMASTERED/GATEFOLD)**2 VINYL SET US $36.95 Buy It Now 1h 59m
FATS DOMINO - SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY: LIVE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW - NEW CD BOXSET US $12.45 Buy It Now 2h
Various Artists - Journey to Love - Rare & Early Elektra Classics - 15 Track US $6.51 Buy It Now 2h 2m
Unknown Artist The Train Journey North CD US $9.54 Buy It Now 2h 3m
DJ Groove Journey Into House Music CD US $7.19 Buy It Now 2h 3m
BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY SOUNDTRACK US $2.50 Buy It Now 2h 5m
World Play by Soul Sirkus (2004) Journey Neal Schon AOR Melodic Jef Scott Soto US $19.99 [0 bids]
Unknown Artist a thousand miles WORSHIP FOR THE JOURNEY CD US $5.40 Buy It Now 2h 7m
SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY BY STARR,RINGO (CD) US $17.41 Buy It Now 2h 8m
MILTON NASCIMENTO - JOURNEY TO DAWN - SP-4719-LP/Vinyl/Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
GUNTER HAMPEL LP Journey to the Song Within 1974 Birth german free jazz US $13.50 [3 bids]
A Classical Journey, Various Composers, Good CD US $4.44 Buy It Now 2h 10m
MOUNTAIN JOURNEY: STARS OF OLD TIME MUSIC / VAR NEW CD US $22.12 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Excursions: A Journey Into Chill Out US $1.00 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Escape [Remaster] [ECD] by Journey (Rock) (CD, Oct-1996, Columbia (USA)) US $4.99 [0 bids]
''''JOURNEY" ..CAPTURED.....LP VINYL BIFOLD - TWO RECORDS INNER SLEEVES PHOTOS US $11.95 Buy It Now 2h 15m
Journey "Separate Ways" Picture Sleeve & 45 Record 1980's Music US $4.99 [0 bids]
Journey "Girl Can't Help It" Picture Sleeve & 45 Record 1980's Music US $4.99 [0 bids]
DOLLAR BRAND THE JOURNEY with DON CHERRY, HAMIET BLUIETT a.o. CHIAROSCURO 1977 US $19.99 [0 bids]
DOLLAR BRAND THE JOURNEY with DON CHERRY, HAMIET BLUIETT a.o. CHIAROSCURO 1977 US $24.99 [0 bids]
Through her Eyes: A Journey to Jesus by Mark Mallett (Dual Disc Album) US $8.99 [0 bids]
BOYZ II MEN - MOTOWN: A JOURNEY THROUGH HITSVILLE USA LIVE NEW DVD US $25.05 Buy It Now 2h 20m
AMBOY DUKES: Journey To The Center Of The Mind LP (Euro, reissue) Rock US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Frontiers by Journey (Rock) (Cassette) US $0.50 [0 bids]
KENDRICK LAMAR - JOURNEY NEW DVD US $12.59 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Journey In the Beginning G/F 2x LP 12" vinyl '79 Holland Import rock US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 21m
Olivia on Woman's Live Journey by Olivia Newton-John (CD, Sep-2000, Festival) US $19.99 [0 bids]
Tara Devi: Inner Journey Audio CD US $9.90 Buy It Now 2h 26m
Al Martino. Only the broken-hearted. 45rpm. US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Royal Anguish A Journey Through the Sha CD US $9.81 Buy It Now 2h 29m
Journey, Fourplay, New US $8.74 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Various Artists : Relax With Sailboat Journey 2 CD (1994) US $4.00 Buy It Now 2h 31m
Journey Vinyl LP S/T Self-Titled Columbia 33388 VG+ US $5.00 [0 bids]
Chris Rea - The Journey 1978-2009 (2 x CD 2011) US $4.81 [0 bids]
KEN GOBER "THE JOURNEY: SOUL OF A MAN" (FLY AWAY / I BELIEVE +) CD - SEALED US $9.95 [0 bids]
SHANE DUNLAP "PARADISE" CD - TAKE ME TO PARADISE / JOURNEY OF A LIFETIME SEALED US $9.95 [0 bids]
Still Sealed 1974 Colin Blunstone Journey LP NM The Zombies Top Copy! US $30.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
DANNY CARVALHO - SLACK KEY JOURNEY - ON MY WAY NEW CD US $28.36 Buy It Now 2h 44m

More places to buy JOURNEY music online Buy JOURNEY & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for JOURNEY DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

JOURNEY Trial By Fire ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(2%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(14%)

JOURNEY Trial By Fire reviews

Review by Guillermo
2 stars After their "Frontiers" album and tour, Journey took some time to rest as a band. Steve Perry recorded a very commercial mellow album called "Street Talk" (1984) which included the very mellow ballad called "Sherrie", which also has one of the worst video clips I have seen. I listened to "Street Talk" when a female friend lent me that album for a brief time in 1985. I didn`t like it so I never bought it.

By 1986, there was a new album by Journey called "Raised on Radio", and by that time the band only had three members (Perry, Schon and Cain, the main songwriters) with Steve Smith and Ross Valory being fired before the album was recorded. I only listened to a song from that album called "Be Good to Yourself" in a FM Radio station in my city, a song which I didn`t like very much, sounding for me as very similar to the songs from Perry`s "Street Talk" album. I never bought "Raised on Radio", and I forgot to play Journey`s music for several years.

By 1989, Schon and Cain had another band called "Bad English" with lead singer John Waite. They recorded two albums which were not as successful as the albums they recorded with Journey. I watched on TV to two of their video clips, and for me that band was just another commercial Arena Rock band whose style was similar to Journey`s in some parts but with another lead singer. I never bought their albums.

Then, in late 1996, this album titled "Trial by Fire" was released. I remember being in a record shop buying another CD and when I paid for that CD I received in the bag an ad announcing the release of "the new album recorded by the classic line-up of Journey". I didn`t buy it then, not being interested very much in Journey`s music since the mid eighties.

In mid 1998 I went to a record shop which had at low prices several CDs released by Sony / Columbia. One of them was Steve Perry`s second solo album titled "For the Love of Strange Medicine" (1994). I bought it and I liked it a lot. That album is much better than "Street Talk", in my opinion.

By late 1998, I went again to the same record shop which again had those Sony / Columbia low priced CDs and cassettes. I didn`t find the CD version of "Trial by Fire", but I bought the cassette version instead.

"Trial by Fire" is a good album, but it seems to me that by 1996 Journey was reforming to try to repeat their old formula of Hits in an album with some sugar ballads and some heavy rock songs. I have to say that I still like some of the songs ("Message of Love", "One More", "It`s Just Rain"). But even in the songs I liked I could find similarities with old songs like "Separate Ways" (in the case of "Message of Love" and "One More"). There are other songs with a lot of influence from old ballads composed by them, and also with some influences from Steve Perry`s "Street Talk" album ("When You Love a Woman", "If He Should Break Your Heart"). The only ballad that I really like a lot is "It`s Just Rain". The rest of the songs are not as interesting for my taste. The band also had the help of a songwriter which was not part of the band (John Bettis, who I think that he wrote some songs for "Street Talk" with Perry) in a few songs. So, for me this album sounds more like they were really working hard to try to capture in a new album their old sound but with a lot of not very interesting songs.

I have to say that I prefer Steve Perry`s second solo album more than this "Trial by Fire" album. It is much better that "Trial by Fire" and much less commercial than "Street Talk".

After this album was released, Perry had some health problems which prevented the band to tour again. Perry needed a hip surgery, but he kept the band waiting for two years before he was given an ultimatum by Cain and Schon and he finally was fired in 1998. He finally went to that surgery after he left Journey, and the band carried on with other lead singers which despite being very good couldn`t repeat the success of Journey with Perry. Steve Smith also left the band after Perry was fired not seeing a future for the band without Perry.

This album was very successful in the Hit Parade charts, but...I don`t like it very much in comparison to their "Escape" and "Frontiers" albums.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#183346) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Review by Prog Leviathan
3 stars Despite the proliferation of sappy-ballads, Trial By Fire remains for me a fun listen when I am in the mood for Journey's signature brand of saccharine rock.

Specifically, the songwriting and mood clicks here better than most of their other albums, which are very song-oriented and formulaic in their delivery. All of the songs are longer than their older hits, giving the musicians more time to experiment with solos and instrumental passages, which they thankfully do quite well. Message of Love and One More are energetic openers in the vein of Separate Ways, with big melodies and Schon's guitar sounding aggressive and sharp. Can't Time the Lion is especially enjoyable, since it possess a style and sound different than anything they've done before.

Perry's vocals are thankfully much smoother and easier on the ears than in the past, but some of the ballads are terrible. Don't Be Down on Me Baby and When I Think of You are worthless, plodding, sentimental yuck, reminiscent of his solo offerings. Fortunately, there are some classy vocals here as well-- nothing so big and pompous as Faithfully/Open Arms (which is good, in my book). Still She Cries, It's Just the Rain, and Trial By Fire are all good examples, with reserved deliveries by Perry and very cool, smooth guitar playing from Schon.

So, I'll stick my neck out here and say that Trial By Fire is actually one of the band's better albums; it is more reserved, stylistic, and artistic than their packaged-to-sell albums from the '80's. Prog fans who enjoy the campiness of Journey may actually find themselves appreciating the musicianship in this one (and one can always just delete the lame ballads from their iPod).

Songwriting: 2 Instrumental Performances: 3 Lyrics/Vocals: 3 Style/Emotion/Replay: 3

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#204299) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars Ten years were a quite sufficient break to sit back and wait for an unexpected great and new musical orientation.

"Message Of Love" is maybe one of their best ever song from "Journey" (if you would expect some of their great seventies tracks): excellent beat and catchy melody. Of course, this has nothing to do with their earlier albums, but at least, such a straight forward rock song is holding the key.

The ballad rhythm is not fully enjoyable while listening to the dull and conventional rock ballad "When You Love A Woman". To have been waitng for about ten years to release such a weak affair is not really meeting expectations. Still, I have to say and confess that this "Trial?" is the best of their material since Perry came on board (which was not a difficult matter).

This album is more rock oriented than its predecessors and most of their AOR stuff is just an awful remembrance from the past. The heavy " Castless Burning" is one of the highlights: such a big rhythm and fantastic beat! THE highlight of this album.

I have never been able to endorse the Perry entrance in this band. Few to none were the songs I could tolerated before this "reunion" work. But when I listen to such a miserable tune as "Colors Of The Spirit", I can only come back to earth and acknowledge that most of the weak achievements were not only a thing from the past.

The dull "When I Think Of You" or "Easy To Fall" are just another confirmation of the weakness of this album. Avoidable rock ballads with no feel. The best you can do is to avoid these type of songs.

I have been quite harsh with my "Journey" reviews. Accordingly. I have to recognize that "Trial By Fire" is better than their earlier stuff. Some of their earlier blunders are still back again under the form of the weak rock ballads like "Don't Be Down On Me Baby", "Still She Cries" or "It's Just A Rain".

The passable title track can justify the two stars rating. Some sort of innovation in terms of Perry appearances as far as I'm concerned even if the dreadful reaggae "Baby I'm Leaving You" is quite dispensable.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#249101) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 08, 2009

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars One more, then baby I'm leaving you

Journey do not have a classic line up as such. For some, the earliest albums are the only ones which earn credibility for the band, and it is hard to argue against the requirement that co-founder Greg Rolie and early drummer Aynsey Dunbar be included in any attempt to define a classic line up. That said, it must also be recognised that the bands biggest selling albums ("Escape" and "Frontiers") were recorded by the line up of Perry, Schon, Cain, Valory, Smith.

It is that quintet which reconvened in 1996 to record this album, the band having appeared to call it a day some 10 years earlier. The healing of wounds was all the more remarkable given that Valory and Smith had been unceremoniously sacked prior to the recording of "Raised on radio".

As had become the norm on the mid-1980's albums, the trio of Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain and Steve Perry monopolise the song writing, with only minor variations in the credits for a couple of the songs. Noted lyricist John Bettis (who also wrote for The Carpenters, Madonna, and Whitney Houston among many others) helps out on a couple of tracks. With no less than 15 tracks including the closing hidden track and a running time of over 70 minutes, this is by far the meatiest Journey release, and effectively a double album when compared to those from the LP years.

The main benefit of the CD age for this and albums such as this is that the extra space available allows the band to develop the tracks more fully. Thus the tracks here are generally slightly longer than they might have been 10-20 years previously. With running times of 4-6 minutes, the songs remain tight and focused, but Neal Schon is able to slip in more in the way of lead guitar breaks overall.

The opening "Message to love" reassures us that the band have lost none of their energy, this up-tempo rock number being as powerful and punchy as anything which has gone before. As we would expect, the album has the usual mix of such songs and smoochy ballads. What there also are though is a selection of mid-tempo rock anthems, namely "One more", "Still she cries", "It's just the rain" and the title track. It is these songs which are arguably the ones which distinguish the album and which are for me the best of the bunch. Indeed, the closing pairing of "It's just the rain" and "Trial by fire" make for a combined 10 minutes of classic Journey at their absolute best.

The piano led weepy "When you love a woman" is very much a vehicle for Perry's wonderful tones. Inevitability, it secured further singles chart success and a Grammy nomination for the band, but for me it is inferior to similar tracks on previous albums. Likewise, "When I think of you" with its "Magic moments" intro is a bit too drippy.

"Castle's burning" is by far the heaviest track the band have recorded, ever. With a running time of around 6 minutes, it is also the longest of the Perry age. The album actually closes with a hidden track called "Baby I'm leaving you", but this cod-reggae episode is not quite hidden enough!

In all, this is pretty much the perfect Journey album in terms of their AOR years. The song writing is spot on, the arrangements allow the songs to develop well, Steve Perry's voice never sounded better, and the instrumental performances are top notch. Forget the negative spin of the anti-Perry-era brigade, this is a wonderful album.

The cover illustration is superb, the fold-out lyric sheet reflecting the biblical references which abound through the album.

"Trial by fire" would prove to be something of a one off reunion, Steve Perry leaving the band again, apparently through injury but this time permanently, during planning for a subsequent tour to promote the album.

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#434146) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 15, 2011

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
2 stars Return

Trial By Fire was Journey's first album in ten years and the last one ever to feature the distinctive lead vocals of Steve Perry. I think it is fair to say that this album was a return to form of sorts, but it is debatable if Journey had much of a form to return to! What I mean is that Trial By Fire was undoubtedly the best Journey album since the band's "golden" period in the late 70's and early 80's, but saying this is not saying much, if you ask me. Even adding that this is one of Journey's better albums overall does not even involve much praise in itself. Still, Trial By Fire is a decent album on its own merits and one that even might hold some interest for at least some visitors to the parts.

There are several good songs here, though not a single great one. Unfortunately, there are also some not so good songs that bring the album down. The total running time is much too long for the album's good. It would have been very easy for the band to make a much more coherent, consistent and enjoyable album by just removing the lesser tracks from the track list. But I suppose that the compact disc offered a strong temptation to put this much music out at once, but this material would have benefitted considerably from being limited to the length of a single vinyl LP, say around 35 to 40 minutes or so.

The first two tracks are quite promising, especially One More which reminds of John Payne- era Asia. Message Of Love and When You Love A Woman have lyrics that are hard for me to accept. I really don't like such explicit and standard love songs lyrically speaking, but musically these two songs are quite alright. The next track worthy of mention is Castles Burning which starts out as a rather generic heavy Blues rocker but eventually develops nicely into something that reminds me of the Neo-Prog band Pallas toward the end of it!

Many of the songs are very typical Journey tunes of varying quality and I will not mention them all explicitly, I mention only those that stand out for me for one reason or another. There is a considerable amount of songs in the middle of the album that just pass me by without leaving any particular impressions. Colours Of The Spirit is an exception here as it features some interesting World-Music sounds, but it does unfortunately not develop into anything particularly interesting. It is not until Can't Tame The Lion that the album once again becomes interesting to me. This is a good song with a strong melody and great vocals. Another two good songs follow in It's Just The Rain and Trial By Fire and these would have ended the album in a reasonably strong fashion if it wasn't for the awful "hidden" track that closes the disc.

To sum up. There are just too many fillers here that add nothing of value to the album for this to be a good album. It does, however, have its moments and is indeed a very worthy addition to the collections of Journey fans. But beyond those fans, it has very limited interest.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#440511) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, April 29, 2011

Review by stefro
2 stars After a ten-year gap Journey's classic 1980s line-up reconvened to produce this highly-anticipated 'comeback' album, the seeds of discontent sown by vocalist Steve Perry's 1987 defection seemingly buried deep in the past. With Perry augmented by Neal Schon(guitar, vocals), Ross Valory(bass), Jonathan Cain(keyboards, vocals) and Steve Smith(drums), 'Trial By Fire' is very much an attempt to repeat former glories, though sadly and like many returning heroes the fact remains that Journey's time has very much been-and-gone. You have to go way back to 1981 to find the last worthwhile Journey album and that - 'Escape' - was a stone-cold classic, branded by many as the pinnacle of the AOR genre. Follow-up efforts 'Frontiers'(1983) and 'Raised On Radio'(1986) proved popular amongst fans yet were very much products of their time, now sounding even more dated than the group's mainly excellent 1970s material and sorely lacking the creative input of original keyboardist Gregg Rolie. His replacement, former Baby's member Cain, initially proved to be an inspired choice, his commercial nous, melodic instincts and canny ability to produce catchy and emotive hooks the main creative power behind the enormous and long-lasting success of 'Escape'. However, his influence proved to be short-lived. And like both 'Frontiers' and 'Raised On Radio', 1996's 'Trial By Fire' proved to be something of a damp squid. The real problem is that Journey in their heyday were perfectly suited to the musical environment around them. They practically invented soft-rock, a style that has no place in the grunge-dominated 1990s, and here their music sounds forced and formulaic. The ballads prove dull and mawkish, the rockier numbers horribly over-produced, a slick sheen of sentimentality glazing the brittle riffs. The misty, slow-burning 'Colours Of The Spirit' and the semi-muscular arena rock of the title-track aside, 'Trial By Fire' proves somewhat disappointingly that the good times will stay where they belong: in the past. Journey were a great, great band in their pomp, their first three albums - 'Journey'(1975), 'Look Into The Future'(1976), 'Next'(1977) - and the likes of 'Infinity'(1978), 'Departure'(1979), 'Dream After Dream'(1980) and 'Escape' testament to their enduring appeal. Sadly, the undemanding 'Trial By Fire' fails to ignite in the same way.

STEFAN TURNER, STOKE NEWINGTON, 2012

Send comments to stefro (BETA) | Report this review (#710204) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, April 05, 2012

Review by Gatot
3 stars For some reasons, I like this album which I purchased by accident as it was cheaply priced. Not jut the price, actually .... I also love the album cover. I have never followed Journey in particular as after early year they already transformed into a straight rock band. In particular of this album, I enjoy the opening track "message of Love" which starts wonderfully with an ambient sound combining vocal and keyboard plus guitar effects. The music flows nicely in a bass-tight rhythm session. It's probably the rhythm section plus some sorts of howling guitar and effects throughout the song that makes me feel excited with it. The guitar solo is also stunning. Even though this song is far away from being called as prog music, but I really enjoy the composition as well as the singing style. The second track "One More" is also another excellent track that I regularly play when it comes to this album.

Well ...sometimes we need to break from prog music for a while and have this album spun. I think this album deserves a three-star rating in terms of straight rock music - nothing is prog here at this album by Journey.

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#1261569) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 26, 2014

1 stars This is Journey's last album with Steve Perry handling the lead vocals. It was released in grunge-era 1996, and the band seemed to be attempting to shed its 80s Arena Rock stigma. The band built its success on uplifting energetic melodic Rock and anthemic ballads-- but they apparently decided ... (read more)

Report this review (#434125) | Posted by altaeria | Friday, April 15, 2011 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of JOURNEY "Trial By Fire"