ST. ANGER

Buy METALLICA Music
Studio Album, released in 2003

1. Frantic (5:50)
2. St. Anger (7:21)
3. Some Kind of Monster (8:25)
4. Dirty Window (5:24)
5. Invisible Kid (8:30)
6. My World (5:45)
7. Shoot Me Again (7:10)
8. Sweet Amber (5:27)
9. The Unnamed Feeling (7:08)
10. Purify (5:13)
11. All Within My Hands (8:48)

Search METALLICA St. Anger lyrics

Search METALLICA St. Anger tabs

- James Hetfield / vocals, guitar
- Lars Ulrich / drums
- Kirk Hammett / guitars
- Bob Rock / bass

CD Elektra (2003)

METALLICA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy METALLICA St. Anger Music

St. Anger (CD/DVD)St. Anger (CD/DVD)
Rhino Blackened 2013
Universal Import 2003
St. AngerSt. Anger
Warner Bros. 2011
Vinyl$20.73
Metallica: Kill 'Em All to St. Anger - The Ultimate Critical ReviewMetallica: Kill 'Em All to St. Anger - The Ultimate Critical Review
DTS Surround Sound
Classic Rock Legends 2006
DVD$5.99
St AngerSt Anger
Vertigo 2003
METALLICA ST.ANGER (EDICION LIMITADA + DVD)METALLICA ST.ANGER (EDICION LIMITADA + DVD)
POL
St AngerSt Anger
Universal Japan 2010
ST ANGER(reissue)ST ANGER(reissue)
UNIVERSAL MUSIC JAPAN
St. Anger [Bonus DVD Digipak] by Metallica [Music CD]St. Anger [Bonus DVD Digipak] by Metallica [Music CD]
Mercury Records Ltd (London)
Metallica : St. Anger (2CDs) (2003) USD $5.93 Buy It Now 4h 46m
St. Anger [PA] Metallica (CD DVD 2003,2-Disc Digipak) USD $4.38 Buy It Now 5h 59m
Metallica : St. Anger [CD + DVD] (2CDs) (2003) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
USD $3.99 Buy It Now
METALLICA St.Anger Acrylic Keychain Keyring Rare Official Made In USA USD $4.68 Buy It Now 18h 21m
METALLICA ST. ANGER 2 LP SET WITH INSERT STILL IN ORIGINAL SHRINK 906 USD $22.99 Buy It Now 20h 45m
METALLICA "St. Anger" 2003 MADE IN ISRAEL new USD $22.00 Buy It Now 1 day
METALLICA - ST ANGER CD ~ FRANTIC~SOME KIND OF MONSTER +++ JAMES HETFIELD *NEW* USD $17.79 Buy It Now 1 day
Metallica Stickers NEW OFFICIAL 6 DESIGNS TO CHOOSE FROM USD $2.74 Buy It Now 1 day
St. Anger [PA] by Metallica (CD/DVD, Jun-2003, Elektra (Label)) DIGIPAK METAL USD $5.97 Buy It Now 1 day
METALLICA St. Anger w/ We're happy Family RAMONES Remake TRK UK 7 INCH Vinyl 45 USD $30.00 Buy It Now 1 day
METALLICA Cd's Lot of 6- S&M, Reload, Load, St-Anger, Black, Garage. USD $19.99 [1 bids]
St. Anger [Edited] by Metallica (CD, Jun-2003, Elektra (Label)) USD $0.99 [0 bids]
Metallica St. Anger (2003, Elektra) DVD ONLY USD $1.99 [0 bids]
METALLICA St. Anger EX! CD 2003 Vertigo Megadeth Testament Exodus Anthrax USD $29.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Metallica St Anger Mounted Original Cd and Cover USD $15.56 Buy It Now 1 day
Metallica St Anger logo new Official Textile Poster 75cm x 110cm USD $11.71 Buy It Now 2 days
Metallica ST Anger 4 LP Vinyl Box set 45 RPM orange NEW limited to 1000 copies USD $190.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Metallica St Anger 2003 Version EU Black & White 14-Track Promo omly 2 CD Box USD $199.99 Buy It Now 2 days
St. Anger [PA] by Metallica (CD, Jun-2003, Elektra (Label)) USD $7.50 Buy It Now 2 days
METALLICA St. Anger CD and bonus DVD 2003 Elektra USD $3.99 [0 bids]
USD $12.99 Buy It Now
CD Album Metallica - St. Anger [Bonus DVD Digipak] Explicit Lyrics, Limited Edi USD $5.85 Buy It Now 2 days
METALLICA ST ANGER CD GOLD DISC RECORD DISPLAY FREE P&P USD $140.71 Buy It Now 2 days
1 CENT CD St. Anger [Edited] - Metallica +DVD/SEALED/DIGIPAK USD $0.01 [0 bids]
St. Anger [PA] by Metallica (CD + DVD, 2003, Elektra (Label)) Mint OOP USD $6.99 [0 bids]
USD $9.99 Buy It Now
METALLICA - St. Anger EXODUS MEGADETH ANTHRAX SLAYER KING DIAMOND USD $3.99 [1 bids]
St. Anger [PA] by Metallica (CD, Jun-2003, Elektra (Label)) USD $2.99 [0 bids]
USD $4.00 Buy It Now
METALLICA 2 CD LOT ST ANGER AND SELF TITLED FREE SHIPPING USD $7.99 [0 bids]
METALLICA ST ANGER SCREAMING HEAD RARE ORIG OFFICIAL UK RECORD COMPANY POSTER USD $14.06 Buy It Now 3 days
CD & DVD Metallica St. Anger USD $15.18 Buy It Now 3 days
St. Anger [PA] [Digipak] by Metallica (CD, Oct-2013, 2 Discs, Blackened) USD $8.08 [0 bids]
Metallica : St Anger + Bonus DVD CD (2003) USD $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
St Anger - Metallica CD Sealed ! New ! USD $10.20 Buy It Now 3 days
METALLICA St Anger Red Fist Rare Original Official UK Record Company POSTER USD $14.06 Buy It Now 3 days
Metallica - St. Anger [PA] (2003) CD USD $7.02 Buy It Now 3 days
Metallica St. Anger 7" Vinyl USD $19.99 [0 bids]
USD $29.99 Buy It Now
METALLICA STANGER 2003 JAPAN CD + DVD OBI 3000yen SICP USD $29.99 Buy It Now 3 days
METALLICA / st anger /JAPAN LTD CD OBI sticker USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Metallica - St. Anger - South African CD *New* SSTARCD6799 USD $17.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Metallica- St. Anger - 9865329 USD $19.98 Buy It Now 4 days
METALLICA St. Anger, Load, S&M and Bay Area Thrashers cd lot USD $24.99 [0 bids]
@ CD-single Metallica - St. Anger +2 / VERTIGO 2003 / 98655412 USD $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
METALLICA st. anger 2011 square VINYL STICKER official merchandise USD $3.89 Buy It Now 4 days
Metallica St. Anger JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD GENUINE ORIGINAL SEALED USD $9.99 [0 bids]
St. Anger [PA] [Digipak] by Metallica (CD, DVD Oct-2013, 2 Discs, Blackened) USD $8.62 Buy It Now 4 days
St. Anger [CD & DVD] by Metallica (CD, Jun-2003, Elektra) USD $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
METALLICA - ST ANGER DOUBLE C.D USD $8.15 [0 bids]
USD $12.23 Buy It Now
Metallica : St. Anger CD/DVD (2003) USD $7.02 Buy It Now 5 days
Music Poster: METALLICA - St. Anger - Album Release Promotional 05/6/2003 USD $18.69 Buy It Now 5 days
Metallica St. Anger 4 LP Box New SEALED 45 rpm 180 gm Ltd. Edition!  USD $89.97 Buy It Now 5 days
METALLICA - ST. ANGER CD 1 OF A 2 CD SET -2 TRACK AUSTRALIAN CD (CARD SLEEVE) USD $6.12 Buy It Now 5 days
Metallica St. Anger ~ Music CD ~ Complete In Case ~ Tested Works USD $8.50 Buy It Now 5 days
St. Anger [PA] by Metallica (CD, Jun-2003, Elektra (Label)) USD $3.00 Buy It Now 5 days
METALLICA ST ANGER 2CD PROMO UK RARE W/STICKER USD $30.00 [0 bids]
Metallica - St Anger IFPI L909 Made in U.S.A. USD $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
METALLICA ST. ANGER RARE CD ARGENTINA USD $19.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Metallica - St. Anger [PA] (2003) {CD Album} USD $6.24 Buy It Now 6 days
METALLICA St. Anger CD + DVD Canada 2003 Metal USD $18.99 Buy It Now 6 days
St. Anger [PA] by Metallica (CD, Jun-2003, Elektra (Label)) USD $3.25 Buy It Now 6 days
rare metallica tour t shirt st anger size xl USD $12.49 [0 bids]
METALLICA-ST. ANGER-JAPAN SHM-CD E50 USD $21.99 Buy It Now 6 days
METALLICA Binge & Purge / St. Anger Incomplete Sets Excellent Thrash Metal CD's USD $3.99 [0 bids]
NEW SEALED Metallica St. Anger USD $60.00 [0 bids]
St. Anger [PA] by Metallica (CD+DVD, Jun-2003, Elektra (Label)) USD $5.50 Buy It Now 6 days
METALLICA ST ANGER JAPAN AUTHENTIC SHM MINI LP CD NEW OUT OF PRINT UICY-94669 USD $17.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Rare First press heavy metal Digipak/digi CD+DVD:Metallica-St.Anger+Sticker USD $14.99 Buy It Now 7 days
St. Anger [PA] by Metallica (CD, Jun-2003, Elektra (Label)) USD $6.49 Buy It Now 7 days
METALLICA ST ANGER cd USD $9.37 Buy It Now 7 days
METALLICA ST.ANGER CD NEW USD $17.94 Buy It Now 7 days
METALLICA ST.ANGER CD & DVD ALL REGIONS NEW USD $24.47 Buy It Now 7 days
Metallica - st. anger (NEW CD) USD $19.92 Buy It Now 8 days
METALLICA - ST. ANGER [PA] [DIGIPAK] - NEW DVD BOXSET USD $13.55 Buy It Now 8 days
Metallica ST. ANGER CD, GERMANY - Vertigo 0602498654101, 4 song + VIDEO USD $8.00 [0 bids]
USD $10.40 Buy It Now
Metallica ST.ANGER - CD NOT FOR SALE IN THE EU! - GERMANY, Vertigo 0602498653296 USD $8.50 [0 bids]
USD $11.05 Buy It Now
Metallica - St. Anger [PA] (CD 2003) USD $2.35 [0 bids]
St. Anger by Metallica CD and DVD Jun-2003, Elektra Label USD $5.25 Buy It Now 8 days
Metallica St. Anger Sealed 4 LP 180 Gram Audiophile 45 RPM Box Deluxe USD $79.99 Buy It Now 8 days
METALLICA 3 CD Lot Collection Albums Heavy Metal BLACK ALBUM/LOAD/ST-ANGER USD $14.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Metallica St Anger Mexican Edition CD USD $16.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Metallica St Anger Mexican Edition CD+DVD USD $15.99 Buy It Now 8 days
Metallica St.-Anger CD/DVD Enhanced with Metallica Access Pass Premium Insert USD $5.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Metallica 3 CD Singles Lot Frantic & St. Anger Made in Argentina USD $65.00 Buy It Now 9 days
Metallica - St. Anger CD USD $11.71 Buy It Now 9 days
Metallica-7" Vinyl P/S-St Anger-Vertigo-9865 411-65-2003-M/M USD $20.31 Buy It Now 9 days
METALLICA - ST ANGER - rare DJ pro southamerican CD USD $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
METALLICA ST. Anger 2003 EU Promo 2-Track CD Single SINGLE EDIT USD $16.99 Buy It Now 9 days
St. Anger [PA] [HyperCD/CD & DVD] by Metallica (CD, Jun-2003) USD $5.99 Buy It Now 9 days
METALLICA st.anger CD IJ95 USD $8.99 Buy It Now 10 days
METALLICA - Framed CD Presentation Disc Display USD $20.31 Buy It Now 10 days
Metallica St. Anger Japanese 2-disc CD/DVD set SICP-487/489 SONY 2003 USD $225.95 Buy It Now 10 days
Metallica St. Anger JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD GENUINE ORIGINAL SEALED USD $15.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Metallica - St. Anger (Parental Advisory, 2003) USD $5.94 Buy It Now 10 days
TT..CD ALBUM.....METALLICA..ST-ANGER...2 X CD SET....LIKE NEW CONDITION USD $16.28 Buy It Now 11 days
METALLICA / st anger /JAPAN LTD CD OBI USD $17.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Metallica St.Anger T.B.D. Box Set CD+DVD LTD JAPAN NEW Free shipping USD $198.00 Buy It Now 11 days
METALLICA - St Anger - gatefold 2xLP USD $43.78 Buy It Now 11 days
Metallica - St. Anger (CD 2003) NEW USD $14.04 Buy It Now 11 days
Metallica - St Anger CD & DVD Digipack USD $6.53 Buy It Now 11 days
METALLICA - ST ANGER - CD1 OF A 2CD SET - VERTIGO USD $7.80 Buy It Now 12 days
Metallica St Anger CD Album Heavy Metal USD $7.80 Buy It Now 12 days
CD- Metallica -St. Anger- 2003 Elektra 075596285322- DigiPack- USD $3.99 Buy It Now 12 days
LP death magnetic ~ USD $88.18
LP justice for all ~ USD $32.78
LP master of puppets ~ USD $21.85

More places to buy METALLICA music online Buy METALLICA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for METALLICA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

METALLICA St. Anger ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(1%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(2%)

METALLICA St. Anger reviews

Review by AtomicCrimsonRush
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
1 stars tick tick tick tick tick tick tock? Metallica go BOOM!

St Clanger, I'm madly in anger with you...

The best thing about this album is the documentary behind it, Some Kind of Monster.

The band went through immense turmoil during the making of this album. Hetfield left the band for rehab and to clear the cobwebs in his head. With lyrics about his lifestyle and his 'deathstyle', the content of 'St Anger' is bitter, morbid and twisted, and there is no heart in it. Hetfield sounds like he has vocal diarrhea, a word incidentally, from the Greek word meaning 'flowing through'. The only thing flowing on this monstrosity is the cash from the fans who unfortunately were suckered into buying this beer coaster.

OK, so who the heck is responsible? Metallica are not even close to peak performance and the album would be their worst as a result. Most band members played solo parts and the whole thing was edited together hastily in time for its release date. It feels as though the members of the band did not care about the album and that's a rarity for Metallica. Bassist Robert Trujillo jumped on board the Metallica Machine but did not play for his debut; Bob Rock did all the bass parts on this and is as good as he needs to be to make the thing hang together. The band themselves are now trying to ignore this album. Live performances at most play three of the tracks but I dare say they will eventually hope this album becomes a distant memory, though "the memory remains"...

Unfortunately this album stinks of a poor attitude. The guitar work is tiresome and there is nothing innovative or new in Hammet's guitar riffs. There are no lead breaks just a bunch of noisy garage band riffs. This album sounds like a debut for the latest grunge garage act. Ulrich does not have a chance to shine on drums either, his drums sound like they were played in the toilet, actually they were I think. And the lyrics were written on toilet paper so that the music industry could wipe their bums on them. Ulrich is the best thing on this, in fact on the doco he is the one who was most worried about this release. He is excellent on the doco as a mouthpiece for how the band was falling apart. I also loved Megadeth's intervention to help out in places.

The album cover looks like a slogan for an anti Apartheid rally. And don't get me started on those lyrics: actually they are too good to pass up... "Frantic tick tick tick tick tick tick tock, Frantic tick tick tick tick tick tick tock, Treading water full of worry, This frantic tick tick talk goes hurry... my lifestyle determines my deathstyle" or "This is the face that you hide from, This is the mask that comes undone, Ominous, I am in us, Ominous, I am in us..." No compromise, My heart won't pump the other way, Wake the sleeping giant, Wake the beast, Wake the sleeping dog, No, let him sleep..." or "Tear it down, Strip my layers off, My turpentine, Old paint, old looks, Cover up the past, White heat, white light, Super whity, bones, Bones of you and i, Pure if i ... Can't you help me?" and finally "Who's in charge of my head today, Dancin' devils in angels way, It's my time now, Look out motherf***ers here I come, Gonna make my head my home..." These make their other album's lyrics sound like Wordsworth or Keats.

The whole background on this album is compelling viewing and the documentary is one of the best 'warts and all' fly- on-the-wall docos in history. However, the album is appalling in both production and content. None of the songs stand out as highlights.

A real waste from some of the most talented metal virtuosos in history.

Send comments to AtomicCrimsonRush (BETA) | Report this review (#185509) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 13, 2008

Review by aapatsos
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal and Heavy Prog Teams
1 stars Long and painful

Contrary to the title, my review will be short and painless... Without any desire to bash one of my favourite bands of all times, this album is a truly un-inspired effort. I must admit that the sound is heavy enough and there is a raw atmosphere sprayed all over the 75 minutes of the record, that may appeal to heavy metal fans. The production and mastering of the album is definitely trying to support this approach...

Apart from that, there are 11 (relatively long) songs that present Metallica in an 'angry' mood (the title is representative), but without any sense of imagination, creativity and virtuosity. Here you have 75 minutes of pure metal sound, ranging from rock riffs to thrash beats but there is something missing... and that would be music. The album could have been produced by an amateur metal band that enters the studio for the first time. Surprisingly, there are no solos (!) in 75 minutes and the sound of the drums is at least annoying (some may disagree). A few pleasant moments appear in the first 3 tracks, but after 3-4 spins, I found myself not being able to go through listening to it again.

At that time, the band was returning after a couple of mediocre efforts (Load, Reload) that were not at the standards expected by their fans. Members of the band had personal problems and this has clearly affected their performance, finding them at the lowest point of inspiration. Indifference might be the ideal word to describe my feelings towards the guitar riffs, bass lines and monotone drumming on this effort. There is no need to go into much detail, judging from the fact that this is one of the very few (or probably the only) album that I cannot listen to again!

If you are a fan of raw metal, you can start with their debut. Apart from being a poor record, it has nothing to do with prog, or even experimental music.

Send comments to aapatsos (BETA) | Report this review (#186021) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 16, 2008

Review by J-Man
1 stars Not just the worst Metallica album, but arguably the worst album created by the human race.

In case you can't tell by my title, this won't be a pleasant review. This album is terrible and there is no other way I can say it. I love Metallica, and they are one of my favorite bands, but this is an unlistenable mess! There are plenty of albums I don't like in this world but at least 90% are good enough that I can physically make it through the whole album. Not the case here. To be honest I have a tough time making it through the first song!

So what makes this so bad?

Well, a combination of problems. For one, the recording quality is terrible. And the worst part is, they did that on purpose! The songwriting is not good, the vocal melodies are horrible; all in all everything that could possibly go wrong with an album has on St. Anger. I respect that Metallica was trying to get heavy again, but I would take Load and ReLoad over this any day!

I sure am glad that the incredible Death Magnetic didn't follow this albums footsteps, because if it did I would have officially lost all hope in one of my favorite bands. So just don't buy this unless you're looking for a horrible assault on your ears.

1 star.

Send comments to J-Man (BETA) | Report this review (#187062) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 26, 2008

Review by ProgBagel
1 stars Metallica - 'St. Anger' 1 star

One of the worst records ever created by humans.

I can think of very few, if any, records that go lower than this one here. You figure with a multi-million dollar band such as Metallica, they would have a high production value and good sound. The drums on the album are the most horrid thing I have ever come across on my musical journey. The guitars as tuned way down, to a sludge sound, except they are playing the same stuff from 'Load' and 'Reload'..which isn't sludge at all. So as far as sound goes, this album is a flat out zero. The songs themselves are another monster. The music is just terrible; there is hardly any real direction or purpose behind the tracks. It just seems James Hetfield needed to get some things off of his chest, and the band weren't too sure of themselves.

I recommend this to no one. Should be a forgotten piece of history.

Send comments to ProgBagel (BETA) | Report this review (#190549) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Review by Conor Fynes
1 stars 'St. Anger' - Metallica (2/10)

Retarded cabbage patch kid music; nothing sums it up better. It's remarkably comical that this album is even on Prog Archives. I'm glad it is though, so I can warn anyone of potentially spending their money on this massacre to change their mind. Quickly.

In context, Metallica was in a bad position. The members hated each other, and were on the brink of breaking up. This 'antimatter chemistry' translated into a noisy mess, as can be seen in each of the awful tracks.

Admittedly, I wasn't even able to get through all the songs. I'm reviewing this album and haven't even listened to all of it! Put simply, I don't need to. The reason I couldn't get through it is because it's just too damn useless. It's like listening to a baby whine for hours on end while it gets it's pupils pierced by hot needles... Maybe worse.

I can't say I've ever been a huge Metallica fan, but at the very least (in past works) they've proven that they can make some damned good music. However, in this case, I'd rather listen to some Elementary school pop-rock band. At least there would be something there that could resemble music.

In terms of the actual music throughout the course of the album, it's very one-tracked. It all sounds the same. And while a 70 minute album generally sounds appealing, I might have even been tempted to give these retarded cabbage patch kids a 2 star rating if this was an 'experimental' EP, trying out a different sound than what they're used to. But no, this is a full fledged album. A full fledged, 11 song album without any highlights, without any sense of melody, or rhythm, or evocation of emotion.

The album does have some good parts, or 'highlights' if you will; the first three songs are at least listenable. 'St. Anger' is a memorable title track, and 'Frantic' gives a real jolt of energy which is good, even if that energy is brought forward through disgracefully bad production and performance.

If you like metal or prog, you're honestly better off getting a Rihanna album. At least you won't feel betrayed or dissapointed afterwards.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#202428) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Review by horsewithteeth11
1 stars One of the greatest mockeries of a former great metal band? You bet.

To be honest, I don't know why I'm reviewing this. When I first heard this album back in 2003, I thought it was one of the worst metal albums I'd ever heard. And guess what? I still do. This is Metallica trying to copy nu-metal bands (I already strongly dislike the ones I've heard), and doing an even worse job with this kind of music. I know I've said before that I have a garbage tier of prog, but this belongs in the sh** tier of music. It's THAT bad. From the music to the production, there is not a single good thing I could have said about this 6 years ago, nothing good I could say about it today, and probably nothing good I could say about it in another 6 years. I wish I could give this zero stars, or even negative numbers or stars. Pass this up to spare some blood loss and ear damage.

Send comments to horsewithteeth11 (BETA) | Report this review (#202437) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Review by FruMp
1 stars Ah St. Anger, the album everyone loves to hate, and who can blame them? The band themselves even conceded it was a pile of junk, I saw them in concert in 2004 and they conceded that they would only play 3 songs off St Anger before getting into their new stuff. Why do I think it's rubbish? Well some people think to evolve as a musician or a band you always need to be doing something different, and in some cases due to some perverted course of events this leads people to do the exact opposite of what they were doing before. St Anger was the culmination of this phenomenon for Metallica. The descent started with the mediocre black album being a significant departure from their thrash roots and continued through the with poor load and even worse re-load being hard-rock releases. St Anger is almost the antithesis of their master piece Master of Puppets.

The actual music itself, it is woefully simple (and here on prog archives one takes an especially dim view of that) there is no melodic depth, it's mediocre garage rock riffery and the instrumentation is plain uninspired. Hetfield's lyrics are atrocious (Fran-tick-tick-tock, St. Anger round my neck) and his vocals are more angst ridden than angry, instead of primal anger directed at killing and violence, it's teenage angst directed at suicide and depression. And then there is the icing on the cake - the production. The production on this album is an absolute crime - crusty as hell in the worst most digital way possible. If ever there were such a thing as an album that had been both over-produced and under-produced St Anger is it. The guitars have a terrible tone and are unintelligible at the best of times but they pale in comparison with the tragedy that is the drum kit. I have made recordings in a small room with one microphone fed into an 8-track tape machine that sound positively hi-fi compared to the drums on this album, I'm absolutely adamant that the producer must have gone out of his way to make the drumkit sound terrible. That snare is the most infamous example, the first thing most good producers will do with a snare is get rid of any of that ringing sound but in this case it seems like the opposite has been done. A mic has been placed underneath the snare and the producer has set about capturing as much of the ring as possible as well as getting rid of any snap or punchiness, it's almost an inside joke.

I suggest people listen to this album so that lessons can be learned, musicians should think about everything makes St Anger bad and everything Metallica did with it - and then do the opposite.

Send comments to FruMp (BETA) | Report this review (#211150) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, April 13, 2009

Review by JJLehto
3 stars I feel bad for this album. It gets NO love at all. Old school Metallica fans hate it...well because it is anything past "And Justice for All" and new school fans hate it because it sounds so different. This is NOT one of their best albums. In fact I rank it #6 (behind their first four, and Death Magnetic). That being said, I do not think this is one of their worst. In fact, I think it is an alright album.

First, I can not blame a band for changing it up once in a while, (this is a progressive site after all). Metallica wanted to make something different, that's exactly what they did, and I welcome it. In fact, I like it! This album is really heavy and dirty sounding. How metal is that?

Another piece of criticism is "the drums sound like crap". I guess this is personal preference, and while the over whelming majority agree.....I do not. I like the drums. I think the snare sounds cool. Perhaps the biggest complaint I hear is "there are no solos". Again, I like this. They wanted a slow, heavy, dirty album with an old school "garage" feel to it. That is exactly what they made, and solo's would have taken away from that. Besides, they did not want solo's and later said they thought about adding some, but it would have been forced. Do we want this album sounding any "worse" than it does already with forced solos?

While I like the feel, and sound, of this album there are some major problems. I like the way the drums sound, but Lars is flat out bad. I think he is a mediocre drummer, but hey....I guess he gets the job done. Not on St. Anger though. His drumming is just bad, and in some songs there are painfully long sections where he is off beat, (and I'm guessing this is NOT on purpose...and if so he does not do a good job). It is very painful to listen to.

The songs are way to long. You could take many of these songs and cut them in half. Finally, the lyrics. I must agree again with the majority. The lyrics are BAD. However, at least they are real. They are not some generic rock lyrics, but deal with personal struggles, (especially James' alcohol addiction). OK, this is nothing new...but it is real. They are dealing with their past problems.

This album starts out fairly well. Frantic, St. Anger, and Some Kind of Monster are all good songs. And they actually have a bit of progressiveness to them! Although St. Anger and Some Kind of Monster are too long. Invisible Kid is another good song. Again, heavy and I actually really like James' vocals in the quieter sections.

Sweet Amber begins, well sweet. Then goes into the heavy. A cool sounding song. Purify is not bad, and Invisible Kid is also not bad, but again way too long. Dirty Window is a good song, and a bit progressive.

So, what do I have to say about this album. Under rated! It is not their best, by a long shot. However, all the flak it takes is undeserving. It is a slow, heavy, dirty feeling album. If you are not into a grungy, "garage" feel then I guess you won't like it. However, I do. It has a great feel to it. Besides, this is the end of their "sellout" days. There generic, hard rock albums were tossed out the window in favor of metal again. Maybe it is not focused, but they clearly were done with Bob Rock and their new sound.

A decent album, with an old school, heavy feel. The vocals are bad, (but real) a lot of the songs are too long, and some are just bad sounding. However, a lot are good sounding, and even a BIT progressive. If you are not into metal then avoid, but if you are I say you should listen to this album with an OPEN MIND!

THREE STARS!

Send comments to JJLehto (BETA) | Report this review (#232166) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, August 17, 2009

Review by UMUR
2 stars "St. Anger" is the 8th full-length studio album by US heavy metal/ thrash metal act Metallica. The album was released in June 2003 by Vertigo Records. Bassist Jason Newsted left Metallica shortly before the sessions for the album began. Details about the split are documented in the "Some Kind of Monster (2004)" documentary. The recording sessions for the album began on the 24th of April 2001 but a couple of months into the sessions Metallica had to take a lengthy break from the studio as lead vocalist/ guitarist James Hetfield went into rehab for alcoholism. The break lasted about a year before a sober James Hetfield returned and the sessions started up again. Producer Bob Rock plays the bass on the album as the band opted not to hire a new bassist before after the release of "St. Anger".

The music on the album is the most aggressive the band has released since "...and Justice for All (1988)", so the title of the album suits the music well. Metallica made a deliberate attempt at trying something new on the album. There are for example no guitar solos on the album and influences the NU-Metal/alternative metal end of the metal spectrum are obvious IMO. This is still unmistakably the sound of Metallica though. Something is not right though and overall "St. Anger" is not the most interesting/successful album in the world. For starters the 11 tracks on the album overstay their welcome by a couple of minutes and while the tracks do hold some strong elements (they are few but there) they come off as rather weak in comparison to the songs on earlier releases by the band. A way too long playing time of 75:01 minutes doesnīt do anything to save an already weak release. Why Oh why release a 75 minute long album when you only have quality material (well... almost decent material) for 35 minutes?

The worst thing about "St. Anger" is the production though. Itīs messy and noisy. Quite the abomination if you ask me. I donīt think Iīve ever heard a snare drum sound as atrocious as the one of this album. It sounds like Lars Ulrich is beating an oil barrel to death. So while the music has some redeeming qualities thereīs nothing positive to say about the sound on the album. It really drags my rating down a lot.

When I listened to "St. Anger" upon itīs release I remember I was greatly disappointed. I was more positive after listening to it again before this review but it is still the weakest album in Metallicaīs discography and the last album by the band that I would advice people to listen to. A 1.5 - 2 star rating is warranted.

Send comments to UMUR (BETA) | Report this review (#246301) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 26, 2009

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars St. Anger is everybody's favourite bash-Metallica album. While it's certainly not good and has plenty of reasons to serve as an ideal album to sharpen you vitriol-drenched review writing skills, Metallica has worse albums so I'll try to support them for a change.

A first reason for the criticism is obvious, the damn sound of the thing. Especially the snare drum is downright ridiculous. But apparently it is the way they wanted it to sound. A second reason is also obvious. All songs are waaaaay too long. Also, half of the songs fail to add anything and make the album wear out, long before it's completed.

That is all true but there are good things here and well. Most of all this album signals a welcome return to energy and anger in Metallica's sound. Each new album in the 90's had only been topping the previous in lacklustre song writing and sloppy performance. St. Anger is a welcome return to aggression and simple & sharp metal riffs. Even if they don't come near to past excellence, it's still an improvement over all the deflated unload disasters.

If Metallica had not only opted for a garage sound and attitude, but also for garage song writing, they could have trimmed down the fat on each of these songs and could have created a very powerful 40 minute album. Well, they didn't and they even made the same mistake on the overhyped Death Magnetic.

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#255584) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, December 11, 2009

Review by poslednijat_colobar
1 stars The worst album I've ever heard

Wow... I must admit to Metallica their ability to create something abnormally disgusting. And I admit it every single time, when I listen to St. Anger (they are not much: 2 times when it was released and 1 now because of writing a review). It's noise, it,s not music. There's not any logic and songwriting here. It's just experimental noise here. Probably it's an achievement, too. It's an achievement, because it's very difficult to create so awful piece of art. There are a lot of comic moments on St. Anger. Wow... It's extraterrestrial. There aren't fresh or whatever ideas. The most important thing I can say about this album is: St. Anger is a common noun of noise, incompetence, foolishness and misunderstanding (of nature). 1,00000000000000000000000000(0) stars!!!

Send comments to poslednijat_colobar (BETA) | Report this review (#261745) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Review by tarkus1980
3 stars It's official: I no longer have good taste. Before I first heard it in 2003, everything I'd heard about this album, both about its creation and about the song quality, set off warning bells in my head that this would suck like mad. You see, after letting Newsted leave (replaced by some guy named Rob Trujillo), word came out that Metallica wanted to get back to its roots and be a thrash band with long songs again. Now, given that they hadn't made an epic thrash metal album since '88, and that they were relatively young then and old now, I couldn't help but brace myself for a disaster. Especially since the band was praising nu- metal bands like Limp Bizkit as great music (suggesting that they'd try to sound like them if given the chance). Then, when I learned that the album would be given the incredibly stupid name of St. Anger, I couldn't help but fear even more. And finally, when I started hearing that the production was the worst on any metal album ever, and that Kirk didn't play any solos on the album, and that the lyrics sucked, well, I was ready to hate this.

So imagine my shock when, get this, I enjoyed this album on first listen. At first, I just suspected that it was an effect of overly-lowered expectations, and that subsequent listens would temper things a bit. And yeah, I enjoyed this a bit less afterwards (it's only a middling ***, after all), but I found that I couldn't get myself to dislike this album, no matter how loudly all the various forces could bellow about how blindingly obvious the flaws are. The production isn't great, yes - the bass is virtually inaudible, and one of the drums on Lars' kit sounds like he's banging on a steel water pipe (and he uses that drum a LOT on the album). Apparently, the band wanted minimal overdubs and touchups, to preserve the intensity of live-in-studio performance or whatever, but I do have to admit that they went a bit far in their resistance to any cleaning. On the other hand, though, I actually don't hate Lars' drum sound - it's horrid on a technical level, I suppose, but it's so danged novel that I end up kinda liking it, believe it or not.

What matters most, though, isn't the sound, but the songs (well, 'tracks' - these are more of metal grooves than of 'written songs'). Three important things stand out for me on many of these tracks:

1. The intensity is fierce.

2. The riffs often RULE.

3. James doesn't make a total ass out of himself.

You see, what I feared the most going into this album would be that, in trying to reconnect with their thrash past, the band would also make the mistake of trying to pretend to be teenagers (ie turning into a nu-metal band), which is a problem given that they were all around 40 at the time. But while the band (especially James) shows rage that hasn't existed on a Metallica album since Justice, it would be downright wrong to classify this as adolescent rage. No, this is the rage of an old, very pissed-off man, bitter at his struggle with alcoholism, bitter at his own weaknesses, bitter at seeing himself as an ass despite all of his success. James sounds like a man possessed on this album, like a man that believes that, if he roars deeply enough and makes his riffage loud and discordant and piercing enough, he can somehow make scare away all of his demons and be left alone. The rest of the band feeds off of this energy quite well, with Kirk sticking to riffage intertwining with James' instead of detracting from the rage with his generic solos, and while the rhythm section doesn't do that well technically, they definitely add to the roaring intensity throughout.

Of course, energy and intensity can only get you so far - a lot of the songs are a bit too primitive in construction for my tastes, and some parts are quite embarrassing (I do appreciate how it works as a sick album-ending 'breakthrough,' but that still doesn't mean that hearing James bellow "KILL KILL KILL KILL KILL....!!!!" is something that I won't squirm at). But it can get you a good distance, especially when the riffs are good. The opening "Frantic" has some of the fiercest riffage heard on a Metallica album in forever, and hearing James scream, "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle!" and "Frantic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic- tic-tock ..." has to be one of the rawest (in a good way), most painfully (again, in a good way) cathartic passages found in the band's whole catalogue. The title track seemingly gets chided by quite a few people, mainly because of the lyrics ("I'm madly in anger with you!"), but given that it seems to be representative of James' alcohol struggle (ie this is his version of an 'albatross' around his neck), and how he's tried to cope with it, it can't help but move me plenty.

As for other highlights, a big one for me is "Dirty Window." Aside from a KILLER riff, with intensity to match, it has one of the most menacing vocal deliveries of James' life, what with the, "...and I slam my gavel DOWN!" and "projector, protector, rejector infector" parts. Plus, that quiet part where he's singing, "I'm judge and I'm jury and I'm executioner too" works as a nice counter to the heavy parts, and helps make it into quite the nice track. The followup, "Invisible Kid," might seem a bit dumb at first, but then I realized that the rhythmic groove of the guitars and vocal melody are actually fairly clever in their simplicity - besides, I can't get "Invisible kid, suspicious of your touch, don't want no crutch, but it's all too much" out of my head, and what's more, I find that I actually like it being in my head. Truth be told, for what seems to be at first a throwaway, it has quite a few interesting parts, whether or not they seem just glued together or actually part of something resembling inspiration.

As for the other seven songs, some are better, some are worse. Truth be told, they all sound kinda alike, and honestly I can only remember a bit of each specific song at the present time. HOWEVER, I can say that except for the very end of the album (and even then, I like the first half of "All Within my Hands," the track that closes things), I'm not disappointed in this at all. It's not what fans will be looking for, but it demonstrates the band's "to hell with our fans, we need to do this this way" attitude in full force, and I can't help but respect (and often enjoy) that.

That album cover really blows, though.

Send comments to tarkus1980 (BETA) | Report this review (#290304) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
1 stars A great return to form...a.k.a. who am I kidding here anyway?

Having spent the last few years, prior to 2003, catching up with the legacy trail left by Metallica it was now finally time for me to buy my first of their albums at the actual time of its official release. Naturally I was very excised to see how the band would follow up their Load/Reload albums. Like any fan of the classic era, I was definitely hoping that this would be the time where Metallica, that we all remember, would comeback with their strongest release since ... And Justice For All. Unfortunately this was far from that occasion.

The first few times while listening to this album, I recognized the definite change in Metallica's sound but it took me another few spins to admit to myself that most of these changes were for the worst. The band really managed to flush all our ideas down the drain with St. Anger, with problems ranging from everything starting from sound production, ridiculous lyrics, weird arrangement approaches and much more. Should I even bother bashing the material considering that most of you have probably heard it all before? The biggest problem I have with this album is that it depicts a band with not a drop of creativity left in them whatsoever.

Luckily the release of the documentary titled Some Kind Of Monster did clear up a lot of the issues that the band was going through which does explain why St. Anger felt so lackluster. Still, it doesn't give Metallica the right to basically drop a bomb on their fans and just run for cover by blaming it on the problems that surrounded this release. The rule should be simple; if you know that it's bad, don't release it in the first place!

**** star songs: Frantic (5:50) St. Anger (7:21)

*** star songs: Dirty Window (5:24) Shoot Me Again (7:10) The Unnamed Feeling (7:08) All Within My Hands (8:48)

** star songs: Some Kind Of Monster (8:25) Invisible Kid (8:30) My World (5:45) Sweet Amber (5:27) Purify (5:13)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#296034) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Review by crimson87
4 stars Because beauty lies in the eye of the beholder

I am going to go against the flow here and state that this record is one of the best things Metallica ever did. Much better than their 90's releases. And I also happen to give this record more spins than Kill em all or Ride the Lighting. Yeah , the snare drum sounds like cr*p , there are no guitar solos here as well and James sings off key sometimes. I also can see that.

But all those things were done on purpose to give a Lo - fi feel. As regards the music , there are TONS of great riffs here , yeah the nu metal infuence is there but rest assured this is still Metallica. There are no standout tracks here since all have more or less the same level ( a very high one)

One of the most underrated albums in the history of mankind. You should give St Anger a 2nd chance!!!

Send comments to crimson87 (BETA) | Report this review (#774787) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 20, 2012

1 stars On to an album that many fans, and the band members themselves, don't like at all. I don't know what the band was trying to achieve here - the first few tracks are just a jumble of coherent noise in the rock vein with patchy drumming and riffing. Were these guys trying to make a statement in t ... (read more)

Report this review (#1011729) | Posted by sukmytoe | Tuesday, August 06, 2013 | Review Permanlink

1 stars There are some unsolved mysteries in the history of the mankind. Hangar 18. How did Bin Laden manage to live just under the noses of the Pakistani secret services without being detected, Marie Celeste, the disappearing vikings from Greenland 1000 years ago............. and what the heck Metallica ... (read more)

Report this review (#441928) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, May 02, 2011 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Poor. Only for completions?! How about horrible. No one should ever hear it. What else can I say about the terrible St. Anger that hasn't been said before?! Pretty much everything that could go wrong with an album goes wrong here. Trash can snare, hilariously bad lyrics, corny singing , (I rea ... (read more)

Report this review (#294690) | Posted by skihero45 | Sunday, August 15, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Awful! I would go into my normal reviewing structure, but it just won't work here. This is my least favourite album of all time by a band I like. Now just think for a minute. Take everything you think could possibly go wrong with an album. It's present here. Is the production bad? Some ... (read more)

Report this review (#286238) | Posted by DisgruntledPorcupine | Saturday, June 12, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I feel this album doesn't deserve one star, because the rating descriptions clearly state that one star is "only for completionists", but I think even they should stay as far away from this disaster as possible. This is also probably the worst album I've ever heard all the way through. (some other ... (read more)

Report this review (#278770) | Posted by CinemaZebra | Tuesday, April 20, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Going against the popular opinion here, I have to say I really like 'St. Anger'. Everyone knows of this album and what makes it so bad. The atrocious production, the blasphemous drums, the rather cheesy lyrics, the lack of guitar solos, Hetfields rather strained voice... the list goes on and on. ... (read more)

Report this review (#278416) | Posted by Valarius | Sunday, April 18, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Metallica's St. Anger is totally useless... Horrible and in a progressive way and horrible in a thrash metal way. In the end it is one of the worst albums I have ever heard. Don't get me wrong, Metallica is one of my favorite bands but this album just ruins everything. The drums sound like a ... (read more)

Report this review (#278322) | Posted by Utukku | Saturday, April 17, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Some kind of monster.... I know that a lot of people hate this album for its grittiness and ugliness. I'm not of of them. To me "St. Anger" marks Metallica's return from what I think was a creatively uninspired era to more interesting music. Sure, the songs on "St. Anger" are a bit longwinded, th ... (read more)

Report this review (#227237) | Posted by Time Signature | Friday, July 17, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Madly in anger with you... Do I really need to say more after that? Just those lyrics,a lone, make me cringe in fear. I won't make it any secret that I am not the biggest Metallica fan, but even I can admit they had some good material early on. This is just a musical perversion. The heavy metal ... (read more)

Report this review (#211154) | Posted by Alitare | Monday, April 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

1 stars Oh my f***** god.... this is one of worst albuns I have ever heard in my life. Surely, this is the worst metal album I ever heard. The production is amateurish, the drums seems to have a metalic industrial sound. There is no guitar solos, the vocals remind me some rap-style vocals utilized in new me ... (read more)

Report this review (#191595) | Posted by tupan | Wednesday, December 03, 2008 | Review Permanlink

4 stars God...it's noisy. Damn...it's noisy. I also can't get over how FRANTIC (pun intended) this record is; all downtuned guitars, pummeling, distorted snare and kick, percussive cymbal washes, lyrics screamed from the bowels of Hell, or Hetfield's alcohol addiction (at this point, probably one ... (read more)

Report this review (#187128) | Posted by nahnite | Monday, October 27, 2008 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of METALLICA "St. Anger"