PASSPART┘

Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

Rock Progressivo Italiano

3. Se fossi cosa (4:30)
4. Le trame bl¨ (4:50)
Side 2
5. Passpart¨ (4:40)
6. I cavalieri del tavolo cubico (5:15)
7. Su una mosca e sui dolci (4:45)
8. FantalitÓ (4:20)

Search PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) Passpart¨ lyrics

Search PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) Passpart¨ tabs

- Franz Di Cioccio / percussion, drums, timbales, triangle, vocals, wood blocks
- Patric Djivas / bass
- Bernardo Lanzetti / lead vocals (except 2), vocals
- Flavio Premoli / organ, synthesizer, piano, vocals, Moog synthesizer
- Franco Mussida / acoustic, electric and classical guitars, vocals, lead vocals (2)

- Claudio Fabi / synthesizer, piano, electric piano
- Claudio Pascoli / synthesizer, tenor sax
- George Aghedo / congas
- Roberto Colombo / synthesizer
- Roberto Haliffi / bass, marimba, triangle

Lp-Zoo/Numero Uno-ZPLN 34032-Ita-1978
CD-RCA/ BMG Ariola S.p.A.-ND 75245

and to NotAProghead for the last updates

PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) Passpart¨ Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
In Classic ~ Da Mozart A Celebration (2CD)In Classic ~ Da Mozart A Celebration (2CD)
Loen Entertainment

More places to buy PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) music online Buy PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) Passpart¨ ratings distribution

PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) Passpart¨ reviews

Review by loserboy
4 stars Although not the most publically adored PFM recording, it does remain on my frequent play list. "Passpart¨" is overall much less symphonc that their earlier masterpieces (lyrics by pop songwriter Gianfranco Manfredi), but does still offer some radical listening enjoyment. "Passpart¨" is heavily rooted in the Jazz/European league but does still retain the classic PFM sound. Highlight for me is the symphonic track "Se Fossi Cosa" which does very much sound like classic PFM. During the recording of "Passpart¨" PFM were going though some personnel changes adding here many non-PFM traditional instruments like the sax, congas, cello, triangle etc... no wonder the album has very different feel to it. After this album Lanzetti would leave the group to pursue a solo caree, while enter the formation the violinist Lucio Fabbri. I find "Passpart¨" to be a very fun and upbeat album with some very creative musical passages and it is unfortunate that others have turned up their noses so quickly at this album... a great discovery really.

Send comments to loserboy (BETA) | Report this review (#16996) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 14, 2004

Review by andrea
3 stars Definitely this is not the best album of PFM. Most of all I don't like in this work the non- sense lyrics of Gianfranco Manfredi (writer and alternative singer-songwriter), though lyrics have never been PFM strength. Second, on this album I don't like the vocals of Bernardo Lanzetti. Then, the quality of the songwriting is far under the standards of the early seventies: the band here seem to have lost inspiration and the music seem to be more "song-oriented" though the prog vein isn't completely lost yet. My favourite track is the instrumental title track; not bad also "Viene il Santo", "Se fossi cosa" and "I cavalieri del tavolo cubico", but in the whole nothing special. Anyway, you can find here some interesting ideas that will be developed the following year in the live album with the arrangements of Fabrizio De AndrŔ's songs.

Send comments to andrea (BETA) | Report this review (#63713) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 08, 2006

Review by silvertree
2 stars I don't want to be too negative about this album. Let me explain why : I was discovering this fabulous band and this awesome music, working my way up in time: I started from their first album and then onwards and what a deception I had with Passpart¨... The style changed completely. To be honest, the music has not much to do with Prog Rock. Forget the symphonic side of PFM. What you have here is Rock heavily influenced by Latin America. The quality of the playing is extremely good of course ; I mean, you still have practically the same geniuses from the other albums. Only for fans I guess.

Send comments to silvertree (BETA) | Report this review (#97324) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 06, 2006

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars "PFM" could not release a poorer album than "Jet Lag". Their most jazz-oriented effort so far and by far my least appealing "PFM" album (rated one star).

This album won't revive the grandeur of their past great albums but at least several songs will be fully respectful of the Italian prog genre which they should never have abandoned.

But let's not be fooled. "Passpartu" is far from being a great album. Very few outstanding tracks (close to none actually). "Se Fossi Cosa" being my favourite song of the album and probably the only one to be able to compete with their best work.

The folk-inspired "Passpartu" is also one of the enjoyable moments of this album. But it can hardly be compared with their great work of the early seventies.

Jazzy mood is, at times, back again on this album. There is nothing I can do about this. I don't like it and I wouldn't have expected an Italian symphonic band to perform so much jazz. This is not my type of music and I would never review a TRUE jazz-oriented band (even if according to PA, "Santana" is categorized into the jazz section. Which is pure heresy). In this respect, "I Cavalieri del Tavolo Cubico" is my worst instant on this release.

There will be some pleasant songs on this album; of which "Su una Mosca e Sui Dolci" is my favourite and the only to be considered as a highlight. Full of poetry, nice guitar mood and strong bass playing as well.

I am quite amazed to have spoken about "Santana" earlier on because the closing number "Fantalita" is partially Latin-rock oriented. At least during the first half (which is the only interesting part.).

This album is just average and far from their previous masterpieces or great albums.

Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#153304) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, November 30, 2007

Review by LinusW
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Italian Prog Specialist
3 stars Continuing down the slope of less and less symphonic albums in PFM's discography, Passpart¨ proves to be another nice surprise from the successful band. The only Bernardo Lanzetti album that has proved disappointing is surprisingly Chocolate Kings, which most reviewers consider the best with him on-board. For me, THIS is Lanzetti-era PFM at their best.

It's an immediate album in a number of ways; a shift towards a poppier, appealing sound with a lot of feeling and vibrancy. No song is longer than five minutes, but they are all small gems of the lighter, care-free side of Italian rock/prog. I've found it very uplifting and inspiring, ranging mostly from mid- to up-tempo, and something I immediately put on while in a good mood. I guess it's best described as a soundtrack for festivities, carnivals, on hot, sun-drenched summer days. This is an album built around guitar, and lots of it. You know how it sounds. Southern Europe stuff. Culturally traditional sounds as I perceive it, Mediterranean joie-de-vivre spiced up with borrowed trademarks from a couple of other genres along the way. There are still remnants of the jazz/fusion side of the band, vividly expressed on Chocolate Kings and especially Jet Lag. Some of the complexity do actually remain, but in a very different form this time. Small quirks, inspired acoustic and classical guitar (sometimes actually quite folky, which is a nice addition to the sound, and something we haven't heard from the band in quite some time) and Patric Djivas bass are all evidences that the band still hasn't lost the passion of making quality music. A nice surprise is new-found fire on the percussive side, with congas, timbales and marimba thrown in with moderation. They give many of the songs a slight Latin-American vibe together with aforementioned guitars, and add even more laid-back fun to that which is already there.

Traces of symphonic glory days are still found here and there on Passpart¨, be it a fleeting Moog run, and underlying piano, a melody on top of the heavy guitar textures or a mood-setting synthesiser permeating the entire song. But it's never really structurally important, only used for effect and support. Small delicacies carefully distributed for intricacy and variation, but still very good. However, don't buy Passpart¨ expecting classically inspired grandeur like on the three big albums. The times they are a-changing.

I've never been enjoying the clumsy vibrato-drenched singing of Bernardo Lanzetti very much, so I'm extremely pleased to see him singing to music that actually fits his voice for once. It's as if it's first on Passpart¨ Lanzetti feels safe enough to sing at his own capacity, and not try to over-reach all the time. Makes it all the more pleasing.

To sum up this drivel: Passpart¨ is definitely not a representative PFM record, neither is there much here to please fans of their classic albums. It is however a great chance to explore the development of PFM's sound into this slightly genre-blending (fusion is a too strong word to use here) light-prog. This is music that doesn't promise much, but gives a lot more due to its inherent feel-good factor and charm.

A recommendation with a warning sign. 3 stars.

//LinusW

Send comments to LinusW (BETA) | Report this review (#176149) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, July 05, 2008

Review by Neu!mann
4 stars Probably the most underrated album from arguably the most famous band in Italy sounds like a long overdue homecoming, and completes what might almost be an otherwise unrelated trilogy. It was the last of three consecutive albums to feature the distinctive voice of Bernardo Lanzetti (after "Chocolate Kings" and "Jet Lag"), closing a circle that brought the group finally back to their native shores after finding success as global Prog superstars.

It was, significantly, also the first PFM album not released outside Italy. A deliberate effort was made to shrug off the lucrative Anglo-American mantle they had shouldered for so long: no more awkward English lyrics or symphonic rock stylings borrowed from pre-existing (English) role models, chiefly early GENESIS and KING CRIMSON.

The decision must have been liberating, and here was the result. In its all-too brief 36-minutes this album glows like a warm ray of Adriatic sunshine, sounding more authentically Italian and showing perhaps more genuine vitality than in all their earlier studio albums combined. The music is noticeably more acoustic, with Franco Mussida's electric guitar better integrated into the larger group setting (the core quintet was joined by five additional musicians), and the many synthesizers are used more for color and texture rather than indiscriminate soloing.

Some fans dismiss the album as lightweight Mediterranean pop, an understandable knee-jerk reaction maybe prompted by the cartoon cover art and lack of any textbook Prog dynamics. But the intuitive virtuosity of all the best PFM albums is still clearly audible: listen to the unstoppable drive and pinpoint precision of "Viene il Santo", surely one of the brightest songs in the entire PFM catalogue, or the deft synchronicity evident in the upbeat instrumental title track and the energetic "Le Trame Bl¨". The haunting ballad "Su Una Mosca e Sui Dolci" measures up well against any early PFM classic (allowing room for some tasteful Mussida soloing, too), and the album closer "FantalitÓ" wouldn't sound out of place at a Cosa Nostra wedding reception.

The long journey home for the band would end with a series of concerts the following year alongside Genovese troubadour FABRIZIO DE ANDR╔ (qv), for which this 1978 album was something of an unofficial rehearsal. But if they couldn't sustain whatever creative spell had befallen them during this recording session (and subsequent albums over the next decade seem to prove they didn't), at least the band managed to conjure a little home-brewed magic before their fire went out.

Send comments to Neu!mann (BETA) | Report this review (#208761) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Review by snobb
4 stars Ok, here we have totaly different PFM ( if you still remember them from 3-4 first albums). I think, the music there isn't bad at all, but the main problem is target group.

If earlier albums we recorded in very melodic and classically influenced optimistic sympho- rock, this album is another fish. Acoustic Latino-style guitar, soft and warm mediterranean fusion-scented Latin-pop. Congas,marimbas, rich bass line. Typical Italian pop-vocal.

So, generally we have pop-world-fusion there (OK, or quality Italian pop-rock, if you want). Sound is pleasant,warm, and realy is more better that it's category competitors.

So, the album isn't bad at all, but for "serious"( read - old-fashioned) sympho-rock listeners ideologically unacceptable.But even them can notice high level of musicians participated.

I have no wish just to turn "old sympho purists" to new religion. But I think for new generation of listeners this music could be interesting, so can recommend it more to them.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#239377) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Review by poslednijat_colobar
3 stars The beginning of the decline for Premiata Forneria Marconi!

I thought about the word I'll use for this album's title. I was wondering between collapse and decline, but it would be unfair to use collapse for an interesting and listenable album, so I've decided to use decline. Why it's decline for me? Firstly, because the tendency of simplification and popization of PFM's music continues from the last release called Jet Lag. It's the first PFM's album, it's main genre is not progressive rock, but pop rock. And the third negative point I want to mention about the album are the vocals. I don't like almost all vocals, made by Bernardo Lanzetti. All of them contains unpleasant vibration.

Now it's time for positive moments on the album. I think Passpart¨ contains very good samples of folk rock in Viene il santo and homonymous song Passpart¨, and some other good melodies. The band still holds inertia from the previous releases, which cannot be said about some of the next albums. It's an appropriate album for time when you want to listen to something non-committing. I vote with 3 stars rating!

Highlights in Passpart¨:

Viene il santo and homonymous Passpart¨: solid samples of folk rock!

Send comments to poslednijat_colobar (BETA) | Report this review (#241950) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Review by Tarcisio Moura
3 stars Passpart˙ was another turning point for italian prog kings PFM. Unfortunate, it did not mean they were back to their trademark symphonic prog. Much on the contrary. But at least it put an end to their jazz-rock/fusion period. And after two unsucsessful english singing-only, they were back to deliver lyrics in their native language. It was clear that they were not going to make it big in the american market after all.

Passpart˙ finds a band looking for a new direction, and it shows. The album has some nice tunes but it is also a record without much focus or conviction. Acoustic folk? Pop songs? Maybe latin rhythns will be the next big thing, you can almost hear they asking themselves when you listen to this record. Well, I guess we have to thank them for not trying to go disco! It is not their best stuff, but there are some nice melodies and it is indeed better than Jet Lag. As usual, Franco Mussida┤s guitar work is superb, acoustic or electric. His terrific playing is definitly the highlight of the CD. On the other hand, with the new direction, you hardly notice Flavio Premoli┤s keyboards. A pity, even if the band members once again prove to be as skillful as ever.

Production is ok, the songs are ok, but nothing extraordinaire, very few things here reminds me of their glorious (recent) past. Best songs are the instrumental title track, Se Fossi Cosa and I Cavalieri Del Tavalo Cubico. Of note I must say Bernardo Lanzetti┤s voice, always controvertial, is better on Passpart˙ than on any other previous release PFM had done with him. Final rating: 3 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#242196) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
2 stars After the quite jazzy but definitely good ''Jet lag'',1978 finds Premiata Forneria Marconi as a quintet for the first time,as violin player Greg Bloch quit after the recordings of the previous album.Hence,the band had already decidec to change direction,maintaining a strong jazzy feeling but adding also some heavier dose of Meditterenean taste.For their next release ''Passpartu'' the violin trademark of the band is totally absent and they would be helped by several session musicians such as Roberto Colombo.

The abscence of the fiery violin solos would hurt the band undoubtfully,but the opening tracks of the album will leave some hope for a good album.The two opening numbers ''Viene il Santo'' and ''Svita la vita'' follow a similar path,intense Acoustic Music based on the rhythm section and keys with a delicate Meditterenean vibe and strong musicianship.''Se fossi cosa'' is a good ballad with Lanzetti shining and a somewhat symphonic feeling.''Le traume blu'' is a happy track,characterized by cheap sounding synths and only the last minute indicates that this is Premiata Forneria Marconi perfmoring.The eponymous track is another attempt of the band to combine Jazz-Fusion with Ethnic Music,but the result is way too commercial.''I cavalieri del tavolo cubico'' is absolutely hillarious,an uneven mix of tropical Jazz,Funk and Rock,while ''Su una mosca e sui dolci'' is a decent ballad with good jazzy guitars but average vocals.''FantalitÓ'' is the worst way to close the album,a rhythmic funky/poppish track,which is hard to believe this band created.

It was more than obvious that Premiata Forneria Marconi were running towards commercial music at that point.The next few releases would proove this fact.''Suonare Suonare'' (1980),''Come Ti Va in Riva alla CittÓ'' (1981),''PFM? PFM!'' (1984) and ''Miss Baker'' are all poppish black holes in the band's history,they would even suffer from several comes and goes,which shortened the band to a trio by the time of ''Miss Baker'' and we would have to wait until 1997 for some decent quality.Compared to the later material ''Passpartu'' is far more decent,but again it's nothing close to what this band could actually offer.Only for collectors.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#510772) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 28, 2011

3 stars 1978 had one year passed since the great record "Jet Lag" by the band Premiata Forneria Marconi. Passpart¨ was then the next PFM' record to come out to conquer the world. I though don't think it did. The cover is colourful and shows some men with curly hair and different expressions in their f ... (read more)

Report this review (#1122371) | Posted by Dr÷mmarenAdrian | Monday, January 27, 2014 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Whatever the musical politics involved (late 70s prog death etc) PFM have a very good album here. Of course if you are looking for multi-sectioned epics or any on track longer than five minutes, look away now. Possibly this is a departure from the expected PFM. I would have thought progressive fa ... (read more)

Report this review (#158318) | Posted by uduwudu | Friday, January 11, 2008 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I don't like this album as much as its precursor, "Jet Lag", but then again I'm seriously considering raising my rating for that album. Nor is it anything like the classic symphonic prog that PFM made their name with. On "Passpartu" there is a much more Latin feel, more emphasis on acoustic in ... (read more)

Report this review (#105013) | Posted by zedkatz | Sunday, December 31, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Very underrated album. One of those happy accidents where a prog band desperate for pop credibility and sales actually hits upon a rather pleasant formula. After the rather tedious jazz-rock dead-end of Jet Lag (Nova and Brand X and about ten million others did it better, boys, and before!), t ... (read more)

Report this review (#98477) | Posted by Paul Stump | Sunday, November 12, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars The eighth work released in 1978 "Passpartu", which contains Italian lyrics. An acoustic sound is made central to this album, and the album only has one tune of over 5 minutes in length. The album has a new direction, but the performance is still close to perfection, and is a five-star. It is It ... (read more)

Report this review (#63937) | Posted by braindamage | Tuesday, January 10, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This is PFM last true prog album and the one wich showcases more than others their Gentle Giant influences. Passpart¨ has really strong acoustic and beatifully intricated arrangements in the more accessible GG tradition but with the typical mediterranean feel of PFM. I really enjoy listening to ... (read more)

Report this review (#16997) | Posted by | Sunday, January 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI (PFM) "Passpart¨ "