THE EARLY SINGLES

Pink Floyd The Early Singles album cover

Buy PINK FLOYD Music
Boxset/Compilation, released in 1992

1. Arnold Layne (2:55)
2. Candy and a Currant Bun (2:46)
3. See Emily Play (2:54)
4. Scarecrow (2:09)
5. Apples and Oranges (3:05)
6. Paintbox (3:47)
7. It Would Be So Nice (3:47)
8. Julia Dream (2:37)
9. Point Me at the Sky (3:35)
10. Careful with That Axe, Eugene (5:45)

Search PINK FLOYD The Early Singles lyrics

Released November 24, 1992
Recorded 1967 - 1968
Genre Psychedelic rock
Length 33:23
Label EMI (UK) Columbia (U.S.)
Producer Norman Smith and Joe Boyd

Thanks to mogorva for the addition

PINK FLOYD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy PINK FLOYD The Early Singles Music

Wish You Were Here Plus Bonus Album Wish You Were Here Plus Bonus Album "Early Singles"
Collector's Edition
EMI

More places to buy PINK FLOYD music online Buy PINK FLOYD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for PINK FLOYD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

PINK FLOYD The Early Singles ratings distribution

PINK FLOYD The Early Singles reviews

Review by Flucktrot
2 stars This nice tidbit came along with the Shine On boxset, and as such, it is certainly in the collectors/fans only category. Aside from a few songs which I would consider good, the sleeve is also well done, with three panels of pictures from the band, collage-style. It's important for me to see pictures of the guys--or maybe boys at this time--back then, in their hippie regalia and floppy hairdos--to really put the music in perspective. This wasn't Pink Floyd and their symphonic music, but more The Pink Floyd and the scene they represented.

How about the music? Well, it's definitely raw, some of it intentional and some a by-product of maturity, or lack thereof, in composition. Of course, Arnold Layne and See Emily Play were catchy and early Floyd staples, and you also get Careful with the Axe, Eugene, with a nice Waters scream and some acid jazz noodling. I also like the balance between Barrett and Wright pieces, as many of the tracks seem like true team efforts, such as the simple harmonies in Scarecrow.

Relics might be a better sampling of early Floyd singles, but this is also largely well done.

Send comments to Flucktrot (BETA) | Report this review (#285722) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Review by Evolver
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars I didn't realize that this was ever a separate release, although I got mine as a promo from the Sony rep back when the "Shine On" box came out. This collection is from the early Pink Floyd albums, as the title should tell you. The songs are proto prog, in a similar (but better) vein than bands like Tomorrow, Giles Giles & Fripp and the like.

These are the early singles and B-sides, a few of which I'm not familiar with from anywhere else. So just for that the album is worthwhile. You get some small glimpses of the sound the Floyd would ride to stardom. And the sound is quite good.

Send comments to Evolver (BETA) | Report this review (#303659) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Review by Warthur
3 stars A bit of a shame that this one never came out except as a little bonus in the Shine On boxed set - a bit of hunting is required to track it down, as a consequence. (I have fond memories of stumbling across a copy in a second-hand CD shop.) This album tells the other half of the early Floyd story, bringing together the singles and their B-sides - all bar "Scarecrow" non-album tracks - that came out during the Piper At the Gates of Dawn/Saucerful of Secrets era. The first six tracks come from the Barrett era, whilst the last four came out once Barrett had left the band and David Gilmour was firmly established in place.

The early Barrett singles are wonderful, joyous little nuggets that highlight Syd's pop genius. The B-sides are whimsical fluff - Candy and a Current Bun is dumb, but infectiously cheerful, whilst Scarecrow was one of Syd's early fairytale songs - whereas the A-sides (Arnold Layne and See Emily Play) are both powerful slices of guitar-driven early psych which could have happily replaced some of the lesser songs on the album to my mind.

The third and final Syd single is another matter; the jangling, disjointed Apples and Oranges is the least demented of the three songs Syd submitted for consideration as the third single - the other two being the infamous Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream - and whilst it's interesting enough there's a frenetic edge to it which betrays Syd's oncoming breakdown. Paintbox, Richard Wright's B-side, is actually quite impressive when you consider that it was his first (published) songwriting contribution to the band, to the point where I think it's even better than his contributions to A Saucerful of Secrets - it reminds me, in fact, of some of the similarly light and airy material on Atom Heart Mother.

Wright would also pen the A-side of the first post-Syd single, in fact - It Would Be So Nice, a song that takes early psych whimsy in the vein of the Kinks to a point where it almost looks like self-parody; the song simply doesn't go anywhere and sounded cliched even in the context of the time. One wonders whether it was rush-written and recorded to get some Pink Floyd out there in the wake of Syd's departure, just to establish that the band was still a going concern. Waters' Julia Dream, the B-side, is simply dull, being a somewhat repetitive acoustic guitar ballad with spooky effects played over it.

Conversely, the next single shows a marked improvement; Point Me At the Sky is a Waters/Gilmour collaboration with an intriguing SF concept and suitably dramatic chorus, whilst Careful With That Axe Eugene is a group composition which would become a live staple (as documented on Ummagumma).

Hardly essential, The Early Singles remains worth seeking out for Floyd fans who are keen on the group's early work.

Send comments to Warthur (BETA) | Report this review (#450663) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, May 21, 2011

Review by memowakeman
3 stars Early Floyd!

The title of this album may have been Relics II, because it has the same intention of showing those old tracks that share Pink Floyd's first moments and sound. The psychedelic moments, some rockier ones and other calmer ones, but all in all this is intended to know and understand the beginning of a monster, the rise of one of those giant and unforgettable bands that one will never forget.

The importance of a band like Pink Floyd is huge in both scenes, the general rock one, and of course the one that attract us, the progressive rock one. So it is always useful to have arguments that can create a better critic, historical arguments are always useful, that is why I like this compilation, which to be honest does not feature the most memorial Floyd tunes, but that was not the intention.

Songs such as "Arnold Layne," Scarecrow", "Point me at the Sky", "Julia Dream" or "See Emily Play" are featured here, a surprise might be that the legendary "Interstellar Overdrive" was not included, but it does not harm the album. So if you want half an hour of nice early tunes, you can have it with this. My final grade will be three stars.

Enjoy it!

Send comments to memowakeman (BETA) | Report this review (#464666) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 19, 2011

4 stars I guess it's been a few weeks since I got this magazine that is completely dedicated to PINK FLOYD. It goes through their history and takes a behind the scenes look through each album in a chronological fashion. Well i've been slowly following along listening to each album as I come to it and it's been very enlightning. One question that came up in my mind early on was that it's too bad they didn't release an album with all these B-side songs and other tracks that didn't make it onto their studio albums.Then I remembered the 40th anniversary re-issue of "Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn" and thought that maybe it includes some of these songs as bonus tracks. Well one of the re-issues does and it's the one with the third disc, but it only has five of these songs. Jean-Marie mentioned to me that he has a "Masters Of Rock Vol I" that has a bunch of the early singles. And sure enough it's pretty much everything we have here minus the final track "Careful With That Axe, Eugene". That's when I phoned my local used record shop and bingo ! He had this used cd called "The Early Singles" for 10 dollars. Apparently this disc was part of the "Shine On" box set as well. Mind you this was released originally back in 1992 but that "Master Of Rock Vol I" was released way back in 1974 on vinyl. I consider this a very valuable part of my collection. I love these songs and it's so cool to have them all together like this.

"Arnold Layne" is of course classic early FLOYD. My favourite part is when Wright comes in after 1 1/2 minutes when the vocals stop. "Candy And A Currant Bun" is a catchy mid-paced tune. It does turn experimental after a minute then we get an organ solo from Wright.

"See Emily Play" is such an uplifting tune. I just love that psychedelic vibe. "Scarecrow" is the only song on here from a studio album (the debut) and it's just over 2 minutes long.

"Apples And Oranges" is loud and aggressive but dreamy on the chorus.These first five songs were all written by Syd Barrett.

"Paintbox" is a Wright tune and it's incredible.The vocals, drumming and strummed guitar all impress. Classic. "It Would Be So Nice" is another Wright song and it does have mellotron on it. FLOYD owned a black Mk II mellotron but never toured with it. This one's a toe tapper. I like it !

"Julia Dream" is a Waters track and it stands out because of it's melancholic vibe. Check out the mellotron-flutes too. Great track ! "Point Me At The Sky" is a Waters / Gilmour song and it kicks in before a minute then it calms down as contrasts continue.

"Careful With That Axe, Eugene" is a group effort with all but Barrett involved. An absolutely amazing instrumental, especially Wright with the organ.

I'm a little shocked this isn't rated a lot higher like on other sites but hey i'm just so glad I own it now. Easily 4 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#530298) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 23, 2011

5 stars Never actually owned this CD, but I have heard it before. It's almost the exact same thing as Masters of Rock Vol. 1, except it replaces two of the Piper tracks with the studio version of "Careful With That Axe, Eugene", and the hard to find "Point Me At the Sky," which is probably the only o ... (read more)

Report this review (#699144) | Posted by 7headedchicken | Thursday, March 29, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of PINK FLOYD "The Early Singles"