Genesis

- Mike Rutherford / guitar, bass

Record Label: Charisma
Catalogue No: CB309
Country of Origin: UK

Thanks to mogorva for the addition

GENESIS MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy GENESIS Follow You Follow Me Music

Turn It on Again: The HitsTurn It on Again: The Hits
Atlantic 2007
Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)Trick of the Tail (CD/DVD)
Rhino 2007
AbacabAbacab
Remastered
Atlantic 1994
genesis self titled vg+ US $17.89 Buy It Now 35m 1s
Steve Hackett Time Lapse SEALED 1992 Netherlands CD Genesis GTR King Crimson US $15.95 Buy It Now 39m 59s
Genesis Duke Music Cassette Atlantic Label US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Genesis Duke Music Cassette Charisma/Virgin Label US $6.77 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Genesis Invisible Touch Music Cassette Atlantic Label US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h 25m
Genesis Invisible Touch Music Cassette Virgin Label US $5.08 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Genesis Invisible Touch Music Cassette Virgin Label (1) US $5.08 Buy It Now 1h 26m
Genesis Live The Way We Walk Vol.1 The Shorts Music Cassette Virgin Label US $5.08 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Genesis Music Cassette Charisma/Virgin Label (Black Lettering) US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Genesis Music Cassette Charisma/Virgin Label (Red Lettering) US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h 27m
Genesis Reflections Rock Theatre Music Cassette Philips Label US $22.05 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Genesis We Can't Dance Music Cassette Atlantic Label US $11.87 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Genesis We Can't Dance Music Cassette Virgin Label US $5.08 Buy It Now 1h 29m
Genesis Archives - Vol. 2: 1976-1992 - 3-CD Box Set - Atlantic US $37.00 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Promo 45 rpm GENESIS Tonight, Tonight w/PS - VG+ to NM US $6.95 Buy It Now 1h 51m
GENESIS - "In The Beginning" LP 1977 ORIG US LONDON - SHRINK NM (1st LP reissue) US $22.88 Buy It Now 1h 52m
MIKE & THE MECHANICS "RADIO INTERVIEW" LP 1985 US PROMO w/CUE & LETTER (Genesis) US $22.88 Buy It Now 1h 52m
GENESIS - "Tell Me Why" CD Single + 2 Live Tracks - 1993 ORIG UK - RARE #GENDG11 US $24.88 Buy It Now 1h 56m
KNEBWORTH RARE NEW ZEALAND DOUBLE CASSETTE TAPE! STATUS QUO PINK FLOYD GENESIS US $27.30 Buy It Now 1h 59m
PETER GABRIEL MUSIC FROM "BIRDY" LP .VG++ to EX. 1984 GENESIS RELATED US $3.75 Buy It Now 2h 13m
GENESIS (ROCK/PROG/POP GROUP) from genesis to revelation LP 13 track on clear vi US $32.23 Buy It Now 2h 44m
GENESIS ABACAB VINYL LP AUSTRALIA issue VERTIGO 6302 162 US $9.40 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Genesis by Joy Williams (CD, May-2005, Reunion) US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
GENESIS - Tonight tonight tonight - 7" single US $4.23 Buy It Now 3h 34m
MIKE RUTHERFORD Smallcreep's Day LP EX+ UK 1980 Charisma Records Genesis US $13.56 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Genesis - And Then There Were Three. 1978 UK Charisma LP US $5.08 Buy It Now 4h
Genesis - Duke. 1980 UK Charisma LP VG+ US $6.77 Buy It Now 4h
Genesis Invisible Touch LP 1986 Superb Archive Copy US $8.47 Buy It Now 4h 4m
NEW 2PM?GENESIS OF 2PM DELUXE BOX EDITION TYPE:A-JAPAN CD+DVD US $69.97 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Phil Collins Another Day Japan Sealed CDS OBI Genesis US $54.99 Buy It Now 4h 38m
GENESIS Calling All Stations CD MINI LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 40m
Genesis Invisible Tour booklet only; very good condition; US $8.47 Buy It Now 4h 40m
ANTHONY PHILLIPS Private Parts And Pieces III: 3 Antiques CD Genesis UK rare OOP US $99.98 Buy It Now 4h 42m
GENESIS - In Too Deep - 12" Picture Disc - Limited Edition 1986 - EX US $16.13 Buy It Now 4h 44m
GENESIS We Can'T Dance CD MINI LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 4h 48m
PIG IT; original artists original hits; UB40; genesis; peter gabriel; it bites; US $16.00 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Phil Collins A Groovy Kind Japan Sealed CDS OBI Genesis US $54.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
GENESIS 12" vinyl LP WE CAN'T DANCE double LP album US $42.44 Buy It Now 5h 21m
Phil Collins Do You Remen Japan Sealed CDS OBI Genesis US $54.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
GENESIS - AND THEN THERE WERE THREE- CASETTE TAPE - 1978 US $0.99 [0 bids]
Phil Collins You Can't Hur Japan Sealed CDS OBI Genesis US $54.99 Buy It Now 5h 35m
We Can't Dance by Genesis US $4.99 Buy It Now 5h 37m
GENESIS - LIVE - CD, PETER GABRIEL, MIKE RUTHERFORD, PHIL COLLINS, US $7.52 Buy It Now 5h 43m
GENESIS This Fate Is Your Own CD US $28.84 [1 bids]
GENESIS 2 LP RECORD LOT US $6.99 [0 bids]
Genesis(12" Vinyl)Invisible Touch-Virgin-GENS 1 12-UK-VG/VG US $10.15 Buy It Now 5h 46m
STEVE HACKETT CURED , GENESIS, YUGOSLAV LP VINYL US $10.00 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Genesis - Turn It On Again (The Hits) - UK CD album 1999 US $8.47 Buy It Now 6h 14m
LOT OF 6 RECORD VINYL ALBUMS LP 70 80'S GENESIS PHIL COLLINS PETER GABRIEL US $15.99 [1 bids]
Genesis(Vinyl LP Gatefold)And Then There Were Three-Charisma-CDS 4010-UK-VG/VG US $10.17 Buy It Now 6h 46m
FACTORY / COMPANY 45RPM RECORD SLEEVE. ATLANTIC. GENESIS. US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 51m
Genesis(Vinyl LP)Wind & Wuthering-Charisma-9124 003-UK-VG+/VG US $13.56 Buy It Now 6h 57m
GENESIS That's All / Second Home By The Sea (1983) 7" 45 RPM Single Near Mint NM US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h
DON McLEAN "Genesis, In The Beginning" RCA Records 45Rpm Free S/H USA! US $6.49 Buy It Now 7h 9m
Don McLean(7"Vinyl)Crying / Genesis-VG/Ex US $6.77 Buy It Now 7h 14m
GENESIS In Too Deep / I'd Rather Be You (1987) 7" 45 RPM Single NM- L@@K!!! US $3.99 Buy It Now 7h 15m
GENESIS INVISIBLE TOUCH (1986 7"VINYL SINGLE P/S ) US $6.77 Buy It Now 7h 18m
Band Aid Special/ Japan LP OBI Sheet Bon Jovi, Elton John, Genesis, ABC, Marilyn US $17.99 Buy It Now 7h 21m
GTR S/T LP STEVE HOWE STEVE HACKETT SEALED YES GENESIS US $22.00 Buy It Now 7h 21m
GENESIS BREYER P-ORRIDGE-SHE LOVES-2013 LP ORANGE VINYL-500 ONLY-PSYCHIC TV-NEW US $67.88 Buy It Now 7h 29m
Genesis - Genesis S/T UK VINYL LP US $16.96 Buy It Now 7h 34m
Genesis - Invisible touch UK VINYL LP US $15.26 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Genesis Go West Young Man (In The Motherlode) / Same 7" 45 rpm PROMO Atlantic NM US $5.50 Buy It Now 7h 45m
GENESIS -' Keep It Dark' - New Single - Original Press Ad - 1981 US $11.88 Buy It Now 7h 57m
1978 Burger King Coca-Cola Profiles In Gold 2 8 Songs EP GENESIS 33 rpm NM in PS US $4.95 Buy It Now 8h 9m
GENESIS And Then There Were Three L.P. Lovely copy !! US $10.18 Buy It Now 8h 10m
GENESIS FROM GENESIS TO REVELATION JAPAN CD OOP US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 11m
GENESIS Duke L.P. Lovely copy !! US $10.18 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Genesis Go West Young Man / Your Own Special Way Atlantic OS-13251 45 rpm NM- US $4.12 Buy It Now 8h 15m
Genesis - ABACAB 1983 Cassette US $5.09 Buy It Now 8h 16m
GENESIS WIND AND WUTHERING UK BLUE HATTER VINYL LP+ INNER *NEAR MINT THROUGHOUT US $16.89 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Genesis No Son Of Mine / Living Forever 7" 45 rpm Atlantic 7-87571 NM Vinyl US $3.30 Buy It Now 8h 37m
GENESIS AND THEN THERE WERE THREE 1978 UK HATTER VINYL LP*EXCELLENT+THROUGHOUT US $15.19 Buy It Now 8h 39m
Genesis The Way We Walk - Volume 2 JAPAN CD OBI G120 US $5.99 [0 bids]
Genesis RARE boxset 1970-1975 [CD/SACD/DVD) US $420.00 Buy It Now 8h 43m
Genesis - Mama / It's Gonna Get Better Virgin MAMA 1 UK 1983 7" vinyl PS A1/B1 US $8.47 Buy It Now 8h 45m
VINYL 7" SINGLE - GENESIS - MAMA - MAMA 1 US $11.87 Buy It Now 8h 49m
TONY BANKS & NIK KERSHAW I Wanna Change The Score 12" TOWNHOUSE ACETATE GENESIS US $169.73 Buy It Now 8h 54m
1980 Genesis Misunderstanding / Behind The Lines 7" 45 rpm Atlantic 3662 NM US $3.30 Buy It Now 8h 57m
Genesis: Misunderstanding / Behind The Lines 7" 45 VG++ Canada Atlantic 3662 US $5.99 Buy It Now 9h
GENESIS VAN DER GRAAF ~ORIGINAL NEWCASTLE CITY HALL FLYER HANDBILL ~ JAN 31 1971 US $331.00 Buy It Now 9h 3m
Genesis (Atlantic,1983) NM Vinyl LP US $2.99 Buy It Now 9h 12m
Genesis- Invisible Touch (Atlantic,1986) NM Vinyl LP US $4.99 Buy It Now 9h 14m
GENESIS - I CAN'T DANCE - 7" VINYL PICTURE SLEEVE 1991 VIRGIN US $7.96 Buy It Now 9h 16m
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering - Very nice E LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 9h 28m
A-HA - IN AUSTRIA 1986 RARE 7" EP DURAN DURAN LP, Genesis ,MADONNA. a-ha US $50.91 [1 bids]
RARE!CYNDI LAUPER-IN PARIS 1987 7" EP DURAN DURAN LP, Genesis ,MADONNA. a-ha US $50.91 [0 bids]
GENESIS NURSERY CRYME AUTHENTIC LP RECORD SIGNED + COA US $74.69 [0 bids]
GENESIS THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY AUTHENTIC LP RECORD SIGNED + COA US $74.69 [0 bids]
RUSH t-shirt progressive rock Dream Theater Yes Genesis Queensryche Geddy Lee US $8.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS A TRICK IN THE TAIL charisma 76 A1B1 textured Lp nr EX US $22.05 Buy It Now 10h 5m
Live / The Way We Walk / Volume One: The Shorts, Genesis, Good Live US $3.99 Buy It Now 10h 7m
GENESIS-INVISIBLE TOUCH 1986 ATLANTIC REC. LP 81641-1-E 1st US Press EX/VG+ US $9.95 [0 bids]
Vinyl LP Prog Records Genesis,Electric Light Orchestra,Emerson Lake Palmer US $6.00 [0 bids]
1984 Craig Huxley GENESIS PROJECT LP Record US $39.99 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Phil Collins (Genesis)/Hang In Long Enuff (PICTURE CD) Leaving EBAY US $22.99 [0 bids]
Genesis/I Can't Dance + 3 (2 Live) (Digi-Pak) (Ltd. Ed./UK) US $22.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS Spot the Pigeon 180g BLUE Vinyl EP Record Dual Speed 33 1/3RPM / 45RPM US $18.50 Buy It Now 10h 17m
GENESIS - A TRICK OF THE TAIL US $0.99 [0 bids]
GENESIS - ABACAB US $0.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy GENESIS music online Buy GENESIS & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for GENESIS DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

GENESIS Follow You Follow Me ratings distribution

GENESIS Follow You Follow Me reviews

Review by Guillermo
3 stars The "...and then there were three..." album was the first album that I bought from Genesis, if I remember well, in April 1979, after reading a review about the album in a Mexican rock magazine, and after listening to the "Nursery Cryme" album earlier in that year. I liked "Nursery Cryme", but at that time I couldn`t find it in the record shops (but I recorded it on a cassette). It was easier to find their latest album in the record shops, because it was released in Mexico, as the magazine said. I still like "...and then there were three.." very much.

Now, about this single, it was strange for me that nobody has written a review about. Well, I know. Many reviewers in Prog Archives don`t like the trio years in Genesis` history, so I`m going to write a review about this single.

"Follow You, Follow Me" is a ballad with Pop arrangements, of course, but it is a very good song. The drums are very interesting, playing a rhythm which is not very common in Prog bands. There are some interesting percussion instruments in the background, sounding to me like a marimba. The guitar riff is played with a sound effect, maybe using a chorus or a flanger, and I thought for years that it was really a keyboard sound until I saw the video clip of this song some years ago. The guitar riff is the main part of the song, as it is played almost the same way in all the parts of the song. The keyboards are simple but good, with an organ playing the chords and a synth playing almost the same melody that the vocals sing. There is a very good synths solo. In general, the song has a very good arrangement despite being mainly a ballad, a Pop ballad. It became the first major hit single for the band in the U.S. and in the U.K. , and it marked the start of the Pop years for the band, but still having some Prog inluences. The Pop influences became the main ingredients from 1981 until their last studio album with Collins, "We Can`t Dance".

Update, 27-June-2014: The mixing of "Follow You, Follow Me" which was used (at least for the U.S version of the single) was different, not only being shorter in lenght, but it also had more presence of the percussion instruments and of the drums, and some parts of the keyboards and of the guitars sound a bit different too.

"Ballad of Big" is a song which has some Prog arrangements, with lyrics about a "Hero of the American West". There is a strong presence of synths and bass pedals in this song. Very good arrangements.

Both songs were composed by Banks, Collins and Rutherford.

Send comments to Guillermo (BETA) | Report this review (#303526) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 11, 2010

Review by Matti
COLLABORATOR Neo-Prog Team
3 stars (It's peculiar how Genesis albums get hudreds of reviews/ ratings, and singles may have just one review. This is the second one for this single. No, I don't feel too good about writing single reviews, but often I just choose to do so when visting the pages of the top bands - that are usually my personal long-time favourites too...)

So, this song marks a big turn in Genesis career, which surely furiated old fans and won lots of new listeners for the band. Perhaps a whole new generation of them who knew almost nothing of the Gabriel-era. They went quite commercial and catchy (compared to their prog years) with this hit. You know what? I haven't got any bad feelings for this song at all. Even in general, thinking of Genesis' later direction, I do have some respect for them not trying to make the same kind of music as in the seventies. I don't personally much care about their 80's - '90's stuff but it's just fine for me if they reached their popularity peak back then. It doesn't necessarily mean they sold their souls to commerciality. And if Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett had never left the group, I'm sure we'd have much fewer fine albums to enjoy. Instead we might have a dinosaur who would endlessly milk the old cow.

Oops, I wandered away from this single. 'Follow You Follow Me' is a nice little love song. It has almost nothing to do with prog, unless you count the synth solo to be proggy, or the arrangement/sound which is not quite mainstream pop. It has a joyous atmosphere that makes the listener feeling happy too (unless he only thinks "this is not prog! It's awfully commercial!" ;D) Lyrics are very simple and naiive but full of sympathy.

Flip side includes 'Ballad Of Big', another song from ...And Then There Were Three. I think it's very representative of the album in which the airy keyboards dominate. Quite a proggy arrangement and some mild progness in the song structure, in a relatively straight pop approach. Also its narrative nature is typical for ATTWT (on some fan magazine in '86 or 87 they spoke of the album as a cousin to Nursery Cryme). A Western tale of "Big Jim Coolley", "who died like all good cowboys / with his boots on next to his men". I like it. I like ATTWT in general even if it's a huge let-down as the follower of the superb Wind & Wuthering (but one doesn't HAVE to compare those albums, right?). Nevertheless it's the last enjoyable Genesis album; Duke is good too but with more uninteresting material in it.

Send comments to Matti (BETA) | Report this review (#661723) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012

3 stars A single from Genesis released in 1978 with the album AND THEN THERE WERE THREE. "Follow You Follow Me" may just be the first true single this band put out- an actual love song with memorable chorus. Unfortunately, the flip side, "Ballad of Big" is a song I find to be one of the weakest on the album ... (read more)

Report this review (#749373) | Posted by mohaveman | Saturday, May 05, 2012 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of GENESIS "Follow You Follow Me"