THE YUMYUM TREE

- Brandi Wynne / keyboards, airy areas
- Vinny Shillito / bass
- Roy / drums

Additional musicians::
- Joie Hinton / synthesizers (4 & 8)
- Merv Pepler / percussion (4 & 8)
- Dom / darbuka (6)

and to proglucky for the last updates

OZRIC TENTACLES MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy OZRIC TENTACLES The Yumyum Tree Music

Yumyum TreeYumyum Tree
Madfish Records UK 2013
The Yumyum Tree by Ozric Tentacles [Music CD]The Yumyum Tree by Ozric Tentacles [Music CD]
Snapper

More places to buy OZRIC TENTACLES music online Buy OZRIC TENTACLES & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for OZRIC TENTACLES DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

OZRIC TENTACLES The Yumyum Tree ratings distribution

OZRIC TENTACLES The Yumyum Tree reviews

Review by Gooner
4 stars The YumYum Tree is very reminiscent of _Waterfall Cities_. Could very well be _Waterfall Cities Part II_, although it does harken back to the '80s version of the Ozrics with a hint of Ozric electronic music offshoot Eat Static. Tracks 4 and 5 known as OOLONG OOLONG and YumYum Tree flow nicely into one another making this an Ozric suite. Nothing groundbreaking here, but consistent as always. I don't think I've ever given the Ozrics less than a 4 star rating. ODDWEIRD is another barnburner harkening back to Strangeitude. Plant Music and Nakaru are fairly boring tracks and best served as nature recordings or new age fluff. But, this is the Ozrics, eh! They need something to set up the final killer track _San Pedro_. A great track similar to _Meander_ from 1997's Curious Corn. Great album artwork. My favourite one since _Arborescence_. 4 solid stars.

Send comments to Gooner (BETA) | Report this review (#216407) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 17, 2009

Review by obiter
4 stars Ho Hum ... Yum Yum

This is an album which is growing steadily on me. First blush was not good. Having said that I've come to expect a different standard from the Ozrics. They've been a core part of my musical collection since university in the late 80s (thanks again for the introduction Seb).

There's a late 90s Curious Corn/Waterfall Cities feel here. And as you sit back and listen without prejudice it dawns on you ... the groove is back: that intangible feel that oozed from Zia Geelani. Ed is free to place his astounding but restrained licks over the blissful soundscape.

Magick Valley gives you that feeling that you should be listening to this at a festival: sweat mud smell of fresh rain (I'm a frog and I love mud - griff pilchard) - pulsing, hypnotic dance beat with Ed nonchalantly putting Steve Vai to shame.

The title track -oolong, oolong-mooncalf is pure spacerock at it's cultured best. Is there a nod to Hillage in there? Odd weird has a strong bass riff that harks back to Xingu (Waterfall Cities/pyramidion) but the synth is taking a similar strain to Meander (Curious Corn).

Plant music picks up the tempo. A little more middle-eastern feel. there's a lovely swift bass run down the scales about three quarters of the way through after a fast riff throughout. Nakuru fills a gap and so far I haven't got the point of it. There may well be one but I've definitely missed it thus far.

San Pedro picks up the beat with a great bass riff overlaid with that OT signature calming synth: the swan is gliding over the surface but boy is the engine room pumping it out. It's a Ozric paradigm: speed/groove and blissful calming synth with Ed free to lay down great riffs.

Ozric's groove is back.

Send comments to obiter (BETA) | Report this review (#224881) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Review by Epignosis
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Eclectic Prog Team
3 stars As soon as I began this, I knew I was in for something very akin to Spirals in Hyperspace and yet something very different. The trance and house sensibilities are still in full force, but it seems Ed Wynne has incorporated some fresh sounds, ranging from synthetic strings to synthesizer leads. However, like the aforementioned album, I really only enjoy half of this album (in this case it's the first half) before I get bored silly.

"Magick Valley" The opening tone made me cringe initially (although I can't reasonably say why), but what sounds like the electronic equivalent of a gargling monster gradually becomes something more coherent and rhythmic, if rather exotic.

"Oddwierd" Some bouncy, slippery tones begin this fresh piece, as punchy yet deep bass swing in underneath it. The guitar soloing is stellar, as are the upbeat drums, all of which make this an undeniably happy track. It's my favorite here.

"Mooncalf" Brighter synthesizer takes over, and the exotic melodies make me think of Jon Anderson's Olias of Sunhillow. It's at once mystical and soothing. But soon the tempo picks up, and over a simple bass groove, there's guitar solo and lush pads. Later, the piece becomes something like electronic reggae.

"Oolong Oolong" There's some exceptional guitar playing here that initially serves as a lead instrument before melting into the liquid fabric of the piece. The funky bass line welcomes a warbling synthesizer solo and many other strange sounds.

"Yumyum Tree" The title piece gets going with some light synthesizer and bouncing bass. The middle section is a bit of a disaster, but things pick up again fairly quickly. The trouble I have with this piece is that there's nothing to make it stand out- it essentially sounds like urban club dance music.

"Plant Music" An electronic rhythm pulses in the background while drums, bass, and the like come in. The lead guitar is an excellent aspect, and there's a great bass excursion in the middle, but other than that, the track suffers from the problem as the previous one, just to a lesser degree and of an unnecessary length.

"Nakura" This is mostly an empty track, with occasional percussion sounds and a tin-can-sounding, zigzagging synthesizer. It's an airy piece with not a whole lot going on.

"San Pedro" Electric piano and heavy drumming make up this one. It's kind of a spacey mess, though.

Send comments to Epignosis (BETA) | Report this review (#228181) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, July 24, 2009

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
4 stars OT's umpteenth album (and latest to date) is yet another faithful album that the fans can buy safely as it fits the usual safety zone. Coming with a superbly drawn cartoon fantasy artwork, YYT is just what the doctor ordered if you're in the mood for spacey twirly travels in the aural stratosphere and have a little Jamaican cigar to go along with, although the latter is not really necessary to enjoy OT's music. Indeed this is the perfect kind of music for gently groping your mate, and does whatever goes by your twisted and horny brains. Yup , OT's music has always been one of my first answer (along with Pink Floyd) to progheads complaining that their girlfriends or wives don't like prog music. Well it's normal they don't like whiney neo-prog and things like TFK (but you might want to have a little taste yourself and avoid these as well), and start thinking about harmonious music?.. which OT is always, even, when they are on the fringe of semi-techno music. OT's music is never offensive, often very danceable, always happy/joyous, with traces of reggae, heavenly flutes; GonG-like space twirls?. Just the usual superb OT blend that has been going around for over two decades. As usual, what I just said of this album is applicable to almost all of OT's discography, because YYT is not much different from all of their other albums. If there are a few groups where you can say that having one album is having them all, OT is certainly in the top 3 of your list?. But in this case, it's plainly a compliment rather than a complaint. But winning by playing safe is triumphing without any glory??

Send comments to Sean Trane (BETA) | Report this review (#248209) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, November 05, 2009

Review by Prog Leviathan
4 stars True to form(ula), the Ozrics have given us another outstanding blend of spacey styles, moods, and sounds to please the ear. "Yum Yum Tree" kicks the grooves into gear from the get-go, and delivers what is one of the group's most consistantly enjoyable albums yet. All of the elements to the Ozric's unique sound are here: ambitious and multifaceted songwriting, instrumental prowess, solid bass grooves, and a dynamic blend of electronic effects, with the "Yum Yum Tree" featuring an exceptionally well-produced sound, bringing the cosmic texture out better than ever. I found the bottom-end much more dynamic hear than in recent albums, making for fatter grooves and a more full sound.

The opening track starts things off great, serving as a sort of encapsulation of the Ozric's music in one crisp package. The styles morph and blend throughout, and the listener will doubtless find themselves being energized by Ed Wynne's guitar only to be submerssed in an airy cloud of synth and soundscape. The title track's composition is especially strong, sustaining its length with creative transitions and energy. "Yum Yum Tree" rocks, grooves, drifts, splooshes, meditates, spirals all at once, and is satisfying with everything it attempts.

Ozric fans will be immediately satisfied, and new comers will doubtless enjoy the sonic journey offered by this release.

Songwriting: 4 Instrumental Performances: 4 Lyrics/Vocals: NA Style/Emotion/Replay: 4

Send comments to Prog Leviathan (BETA) | Report this review (#248784) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 07, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
3 stars My first journey to Ozric universe, I hope that I'll judge fairly enough. I have to say that first time I've been listening this, I was disappointed. A lot, very, very lot. As a spacey rock, it's not so bad, it's listenable. But for real deal music, I lack there something. For me, this is too much monotone, without real treats. To put it simply, you know when it's heading and how will it end. And such spoiling of story isn't good, is it ? Sometimes sounding like boring space rock combined with ethnic music of inhabitans of great island Papua New Guinea (really boring), but then, suddenly, song makes 180 turn and everything is interesting again. Not so much, but at least it's better average.

3(+), I don't believe that I will enjoy this music anytime soon. But for those who loves this style, it'll be quite sufficient I believe. Nice and properly weird cover.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#249890) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Review by Windhawk
3 stars The YumYum Tree is the umpteenth album by legendary British spacerockers Ozric Tentacles, and shows all the signs of a band that has been going so long that they are able to create okayish tracks without much effort.

The mostly bass-driven songs explore the usual territories for this outfit - some energetic forays with energetic rhythms adding to the intensity with searching, distorted guitar sounds and soloing and swirling space-tinged synths providing the finer melodic details and spacey feelings. Other efforts are dreamier affairs, slow moving atmospheric efforts that can tend to get close to ambient and even new age territories at times. A couple of tracks adds in world music influences for variety.

Most of the tracks are nice. Okay efforts but lacking the magic blend of elements or the finer, subtle details needed to make the tracks stand out. There are a few occasions where the magic reappears though - opening effort Magick Valley and final track San Pedro first and foremost. I doubt if this album will win this fine band any new fans, but it will sustain their existing fanbase.

Send comments to Windhawk (BETA) | Report this review (#254428) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, December 05, 2009

Review by TheGazzardian
2 stars This was my first experience with Ozric Tentacles. I picked it up because I saw that it was a new album released this year (this being my first year really being into prog, I'm trying to get a vast grasp of the current landscape along with the classics), and that these guys were associated with "Space Rock", a genre that I have heard little of but enjoyed what I have.

Reading about this album, I became aware that their sound would be more electronic then other music I had heard of the genre, or even listened to on a regular basis. As far as I was concerned, this was fine.

But my first listen through the album, I couldn't quite get into it at all. It had interesting moments, but it sounded (to my untrained ear) like techno. Techno is a genre that, while I have nothing against philosophically, I have not encountered much that I enjoyed. I was actually initially excited, thinking, "This will be good! All the neat sounds of techno without the cliche, repetitiveness of the all the dancey techno I've head before!"

Given that my initial reaction was lukewarm, I knew that I probably wouldn't like the album. But I gave it a few more tries. After all, it was a musical landscape that I was not familiar with, and I felt that I might be able to enjoy the music more after I grew accustomed to it.

But try as I might, I just could not pierce this music. I tried listening to it with headphones, with my nice stereo speakers, louder, quieter, and I couldn't get much of an emotional reaction from this music.

It just seemed as though the music lacked much feeling or emotion. Some songs have interesting starts, and others had neat sounds or beginnings, but for the most part, they reach a point where the music is basically synth sounds overlayed on top of bass and drum beats. It works but it's not interesting. It doesn't engage. It sits mostly in the background, and in that sense, it works well as background music. Yet even for background music, I tend to find myself thinking, "Oh, I should put some music on ... oh yeah, I have Ozric Tentacles on."

I really tried to like this music. It has everything that one could want for a weird musical experience ... a crazy band name, an eclectic album name, weird album art. The only thing that is lacking in this package is the music itself.

This album isn't without it's high points. Nakuro and San Pedro an excellent example of 'spacey' music, and Magick Valley was the track that gave me the most energy. But neither of these tracks are particularly amazing, and other than that, the album doesn't have a whole lot to recommend it.

Send comments to TheGazzardian (BETA) | Report this review (#256362) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Review by Any Colour You Like
4 stars There are some things that make just sense. There are some things that shouldn't make sense, but do. British psych-rock icons Ozric Tentacles fall easily into the latter. Their latest release in a series of many, The Yumyum Tree proves to be an absorbing organic trip of high quality. There is nothing especially impacting about this release, other than the fact it assimilates into the brain quicker than a shot of adrenaline.

With their typical mix of fluid progressive rock, organic psychedelic noodling and space-trance sensibilities, the Ozrics have developed another surefire success here. The Yumyum Tree begins with several smooth tracks, including crisp drum patterns, swirling bass lines and interesting acidic guitar melodies. Tracks like 'Mooncalf' and 'Oddweird' highlight all that this band has made their name upon, fusing several eclectic influences into a charming, lucid package. That is essentially what this album is all about. It is not high impact, but it forces the listener into a trance - a psychedelic trance of mammoth proportions. The rock aspects of the Ozric's sound are there in abundance, but they are often hidden beneath a myriad of airy atmospherics and swirling synth tunes. This simply is one groovy trip man.

If anything, there is nothing that makes The Yumyum Tree any different from any other Ozrics album. The music is solid and charming, but it does feel somewhat derivative, especially given the extensive back catalogue the band has produced. Nonetheless, the organic wonders that this album develops combined with numerous classic progressive rock influences, prove more than enough to warrant attention from fans of psychedelic and progressive music.

Send comments to Any Colour You Like (BETA) | Report this review (#280206) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, May 02, 2010

Review by jampa17
4 stars A YumYum production. Cool.

When someone said Electronic Prog or Electronic Rock, I tend to believe is this kind of production and sound what I'm going to find. The reality is that most of the times, the word "Electronic" is given to any single production with some random noises here and there and some keyboards filling all the spaces as well as repetitive phrases looped to infinity. Well, I have found a band that makes interesting music, complex and with a lot of different moods and elements that have the electronic vibe in the core of their music, but being very fresh and flexible, something hard to find in most "Electronic" efforts.

If we understand YumYum as the onomatopoeia of someone enjoying a delicious food, and if we understand that music is made to be "eaten by the ears", yes, we have found the right tree to be delighted by a wonderful "menu" of plates full with great music vibes ready to be eaten and enjoyed in every single way.

Enough with metaphors. What you are going to find in this album is great music, very eclectic and flexible, changing the moods very often and having a lot of electronic elements, like electronic drums and atmospheric synths playing together with great groovy bass lines and many electric guitar effects.

It's an instrumental album in which each song has their own approach and give something different to the mix, and the result is an impressive album, interesting and fresh that could be enjoyed by anyone, even those who are not used to complete instrumental material. The moods, the phrases, the sounds and the overall result shows the capability of the musicians and the variations gives you a lot of elements to be entertain and you just have to let yourself go, you will travel into an interesting journey forged in the chemistry of many layering of synths and guitars.

In the other hand, the last two songs are not at the level of the first 6 songs, but I don't worry too much, those are good enough to pass by.

I'm really interested in this band and I will check them more, because this album really impressed me, in the best way. Growing with every listen, I should give it a 4 stars, hoping that soon it will become my favorite electronic prog album. Who knows? The album is strong enough, fresh and very, very enjoyable. So, don't let you pass this opportunity to be delighted by stimulating music. Come to enjoy of the fruits of this YumYum Tree. You won't regret it?

Send comments to jampa17 (BETA) | Report this review (#280882) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, May 07, 2010

Review by Conor Fynes
3 stars 'The Yumyum Tree' - Ozric Tentacles (6/10)

Since they heyday with classic records like 'Jurassic Shift', the space rock landmark Ozric Tentacles has gone through a multitude of lineup changes, leaving guitarist Ed Wynne as the only permanent member. In this sense, the band has become less of a band, and more of a glorified solo project that continues to write music in the style and sound of the same band that once took us deep into Erpland. The musicians and lineup of 'The Yumyum Tree' aside, this is quite similar to the music I have heard from the Ozrics before; atmospheric, electronic, spacey and magical. Suffice to say, Ozric Tentacles shows no signs of changing up their sound by this point, instead adding little flourishes here and there for the sake of continuity. The band's 2009 output does not necessarily add anything new to what they have already done in the past, but for what its worth, it is another good addition to a band that I have always admired for their consistency.

It becomes something of a difficulty to review more than one of a band's albums when the band so uncompromisingly sticks with one staple sound. For Ozric Tentacles, they have always tried out new things, but largely stick to their formula of world music inspired space rock. 'The Yumyum Tree' does not give any new sounds to someone who has heard the music of this band before, but keeping in touch with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' motto, it is pretty difficult to fault the band for this. One thing that my existing familiarity with the band's sound does though was make 'The Yumyum Tree' ironically a tougher cookie to crack when it came to appreciation; I already had no doubts for the band's strength, but having heard much better music from the band before, the album sounded- and still sounds, to some extent- a little unnecessary. Ozric Tentacleskeeps the music trippy and enjoyable here, but the lack of the other classic members is sorely evident in the lack of memorable drum fills and exciting bass grooves. Immediately, this puts the album a couple of steps below an album like 'Jurassic Shift', but while I cannot see myself choosing this over one of their better albums of similar sound, 'The Yumyum Tree' does have it where it counts.

For someone who is not yet familiar with the work of this band, the sound is based in instrumental psychedelic rock, but instead of travelling into space with their music, the Ozrcis instead choose to visit distant and exotic cultures, as is evident in their Eastern musical influences here. One thing that I have noticed is that the band has started gravitating more towards electronic music with each successive album, and this album is no exception to that. There is still little difference between this and the style of the classic albums, but Wynne is sure to milk the synths for all they got here. The title track is a fair example of how Ozric Tentacles can break out of the space rock label and create something more akin to house electronic music than anything rock-based. Overall, this emphasis helps the music for the sake of ambiance, but in terms of a more engaging listening experience, it is undeniable that things get a little boring as the album wears on.

With the other musicians gone and replacements being taken in, Ed Wynne's guitar solos are the most standout part of the record, and show up everywhere; surprising considering that at this point, the band's music is highly based in electronica. His solos and noodling is certainly matured from earlier works, although its loose, improvised nature does not always tend well for a memorable experience. 'The Yumyum Tree' is a very good album from the band though, even though it is all too clear that the band has seen better days. That being said, they are highly consistent, and the music here truly is not that much weaker from the Ozrics' golden material. However, at this point in their career, the band's sound has lost most, if not all of its shock merit, and despite having a very similar sound to other work by this band, they are steadily losing their organic touch.

Send comments to Conor Fynes (BETA) | Report this review (#481766) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 14, 2011

4 stars This album is a little inferior to others that the band did in the 2000s, but also it is a very good album. As always, Ozric Tentacles did a decent job of quality. Few albums made today can compare to this. Listen to the sound of bass, the sound of drums and guitar. The keyboards fit perfectly ... (read more)

Report this review (#369898) | Posted by Bob1978 | Saturday, January 01, 2011 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I actually found out about this band just from randomly clicking on a psychadelic band that had a cool name because I'm very into psychadelic. So I decided to dowload their newest album so I could get a feel for the direction the band had been headed. The Yum Yum Tree is the first album that I ... (read more)

Report this review (#264722) | Posted by Kyle McTreehugger | Sunday, February 07, 2010 | Review Permanlink

1 stars As yet another fine, once unique band fades away into the ether...Ozric Tentacles has become the Wynne Family Collection of Odd Synth Sounds. The last two OT discs are lacking in several aspects...and their names are Egan, Seaweed, RAD, Hinton, Zia, Peplar....and all the other ex-OT's who adde ... (read more)

Report this review (#255899) | Posted by DieHi | Sunday, December 13, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I'm a fan of this group, and this album is for me one of the worst albums of the Ozrics... Not so bad. Not so good. Little bit more than mediocre. Very similar to Spirals in hyperspace, but uninspired. Something's wrong, but I don't know what it is. Production is excellent, sound crystalic. We ... (read more)

Report this review (#247680) | Posted by meganeura | Sunday, November 01, 2009 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I agree with the comments in the way that Ozric T is a global electronic rock band nowadays. If you like art rock..good,if you like space prog good , if you like psychodelia good...if you like electronic prog .... good , and if you like tecno electronica or trance good too . As I am a progg ... (read more)

Report this review (#214236) | Posted by robbob | Thursday, May 07, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars And so Ed Wynne and the Ozrics return to 2009 with a vengeance; although they often get a bad rep for the somewhat derivative qualities of their particular brand of space-rock, I would say after meditating on 'The Yumyum Tree" for awhile that is is probably the grooviest and most engaging thing ... (read more)

Report this review (#212988) | Posted by Anteater | Wednesday, April 29, 2009 | Review Permanlink

4 stars This latest ozric album starts with a good promising sound that the ozric s are so known for and the best in my book magick valley is a bloodey excellent start and has an eastern sound to it with the synth,this is the sound of the ozrics how they should sound i think,this does remind me of the t ... (read more)

Report this review (#212752) | Posted by davidsporle | Tuesday, April 28, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of OZRIC TENTACLES "The Yumyum Tree"